Possible change to Vehicle chase rules.

Rifts: Humble Origins

Moderator: Augur

Possible change to Vehicle chase rules.

Postby Consumer » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:56 pm

I think it should be done the following way.

At the start of the chase, each person/NPC involved should make their applicable piloting skill check with the following notations.

Pass; get a +10% bonus to your subsequent skill.
Fail; get a +0% bonus to your subsequent skill.
Critical Fail; Get a -10% penalty to you subsequent skill.

This will be followed by a second skill roll. Pick one skill (once per chase) and describe what it is being used for.
If both pass or fail, no progress is made.

Example: Mike driving away from the Defenders after running over an annoying snitch.
Round one, Mike rolls Pilot: Automobile and passes, while the Defenders roll Pilot: Hovercycle and fails
Mike chooses to use Streetwise to drive down a few back alleys to lose them, rolling with a +10% bonus and passes, while the Defenders use Roadwise to know the possible routes with no bonus, they fail giving Mike one win out of four (or how many is needed).
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and AGM for Eurasia (Acting GM at the moment.)

Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Consumer
Game Master

Re: Possible change to Vehicle chase rules.

Postby Augur » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 pm

Margin of Success: -/+ 10% margin results in a -/+ 10% modifier to subsequent roll
Critical Fails/Successes: -/+ 20% to subsequent roll

^ Translated John's suggestion
"The older I get the closer Lloyd comes to making sense." ~Uncle Servo
"Well, you have been Lloyd-pilled for years." ~ Bahb Silunt
ImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Augur
Admin

Postby Cairo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:00 pm

PROPOSAL

Any player can participate [this includes support characters outside the vehicles in question to the degree they may be able to affect the chase either directly or indirectly, i.e., create choke point/trap, jam radios, broadcast feedback, call in something more pressing ("Some guy just tore out of Paducah Heights with a the Mayor's Wife at gunpoint ..." or "Help!?! Officer Needs Assistance, pinned down by Mephisto's Horsemen!!")].

SKILL CHALLENGE
Get to 5 Successes before You hit 3 Failures OR Pursuers gas-out

Margin of Success: -/+ 10% margin results in a -/+ 10% modifier to subsequent roll
Critical Fails/Successes: -/+ 20% to subsequent roll

GAS-OUT clock ... # of rounds of chase to escape =
Footchase --- ((PE+SPD)/10 (round down) of Target)/((PE+SPD)/10 (round down) of Pursuer)
Vehicles --- (SPD/10 (round down) of Target)/(SPD/10 (round down) of Pursuer)

Skill Checks:

Players choose the skill, and explain why it's appropriate/how they're using it.
Skills can be used Twice maximum during a chase.
Chase: A player who fails 3 times loses the target/falls behind & out of sight.
Escape: Each failure = +1 minion at the exit blocking the way.

Difficulty Checks:

If a character runs out of justifiable skills, they can perform a Difficulty Check on a D20.
Difficulty: Boss: 13+, Lieutenant: 11+, Minion: 8+

I.Q., P.P., P.E., and SPD can each be checked once per Round.
Bonuses to DC from ATTs:
16-20: +1
21-24: +2
25-28: +3
28+ +4

** I understand the Prior was our 1st Skill Check chase-scene, but I felt very powerless to assist from outside the vehicles that were actively engaged. Also the You can only use a Skill once thing seemed very arbitrary. At minimum it felt like 2x was appropriate. I think the gas out mechanic will allow someone who has just an extreme speed advantage not to be held overlong in a challenge.
2nd Lt. Cairo Xanreys
Current Details
Natural AR: 12
H.P.: 262/262
S.D.C.: 1450/1450

Constant Conditions:
Impervious to [Mind] Control & Possession; Impervious to Radiation/Depressurization/Cold; Breathes without Air (& can speak in a Vacuum); Resistant to Gravity Based Attacks [½ Damage/Effects]; Supervision: Spectrum Vision (Able to see energy magnetic fields, the electromagnetic spectrum, radio waves, electricity, microwaves, phase fields, force fields, x-rays, and all forms of radiation, 180ft); Regenerates 30/Hr (HP or SDC); Fatigues at 1/3 Normal Rate, Nightvision: 600', Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
Cairo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:24 pm

• I definitely like the inclusion of outside assistance options (provided such can be explained/rationalized).
  • I'm definitely insisting on one check per skill max. Players gotta think creatively!
  • Not so sure the SPD of vehicles is gonna make for a good metric, nor am I sure there is a metric worth using given the system. I'd rather such be character-related, not THING related. Open to ideas though.

Looking forward to more suggestions!
"The older I get the closer Lloyd comes to making sense." ~Uncle Servo
"Well, you have been Lloyd-pilled for years." ~ Bahb Silunt
ImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Augur
Admin

Return to Rifts