SITE-WIDE PBP RULES

This is the parent forum for EU's site-wide rules, and the house rules for Rifts.

Moderator: Augur

SITE-WIDE PBP RULES

Postby Augur » Wed May 09, 2007 2:47 pm

• The EU default regarding Palladium's material is to not accept that which is potentially implicit, but to restrict interpretation to that which is explicit.

POSTING REQUIREMENTS

:arrow: Site-wide minimum post rate: Once per week to avoid penalties.
:arrow: Post rate expectations that differ from the minimum will be noted in the forum subtext/group description.

A big issue for PBP games both big and small is quality and regularity of character involvement. As such it is important that you at check the post at least once every other day to see if you should post. If for some reason (we all have lives here) you're gonna be away for an extended period...notify the GM and/or make an announcement to that effect in the Account Status Tracker. In such cases your character will be on "Auto" and not unduly mistreated by the GM. If you fail to have any in-character activity for a week I will give you notice. If the quality of your posts is lacking, I will give you notice and advice as desired, GMs won't kill your character without trying to save you. If you fail to post with regularity or show a lack of commitment...I cannot be held responsible for what happens to your character in the hostile and dangerous world of Rifts Earth.

The more frequently everyone in a game posts, the better. Having said that, everyone's real-life situation is different. We try to balance posting requirements such that games remain active and viable, without expecting everyone to spend ridiculous amounts of time on the site. With that in mind, the expected minimum for all MercTown groups is one post from everyone, every week.

*I will check & reply to all player posts each night. There will be nights on occasion that I cannot, I have a job that requires me to be away from home every now and then, but rarely for more than a couple nights a month.

*I will usually be available from 9-11pm CST each night to update the site and field any questions you may have.

People whose accounts get deleted through unannounced inactivity get 1 "strike" as a flake. If you flake twice, you're permanently banned from EU. No exceptions. If you don't have the common courtesy to at least notify admin when your life has hit the bricks or whatever, I have NO SYMPATHY for you and will ban your ass with a quickness. I'd rather have 10 committed and high-quality gamers on-site than 1,000 slackers and semi-literate douche-bags. Be considerate, post as often as you can, communicate well with admin, your GM, and your fellow gamers and everybody will have a good time.

SITE MATURITY

"If you act like an adult you'll be treated like one."
We've all heard that before and I try to live up to it here.
This is a mature site and while I have no issues with appropriate and in-character cursing or certain types of situations that might be considered "romantic" or what have you, I want to stress that I truly will not put up with nasty raunchiness (we have a number of female players and this could easily be interpreted in a very negative manner) or blatantly disrespectful remarks that are OOC.

I will not likely be a prick about it.

I have already given everyone fair warning (this post).

If you say something that strikes me as NOT COOL I will either post or PM you about it, tell you why it was NOT COOL, and likely ask you to edit your post.

But that's censorship! you say...

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. I run the site so I have control over the content herein. As such, what I say goes or you can find your entertainment elsewhere. It's not a democracy, it's a benign dictatorship that appreciates you coming to the polls once in a while for a kangaroo election! :lol:

HOW TO WRITE IN RIFTS: MERCTOWN

1. Your character cannot post in more than one location at a time (you can't be in two places at once).

2. When departing a scene/thread, you MUST note of where you're going in the content of the post and post to that new location.
Example: John waves to everyone "Well, it's been fun guys, bye!"
(Quiet Warrior Inn)

3. When a character enters a scene they cannot "overhear" more than one post prior to their arrival. (i.e., you have to roleplay ignorance of the thread.)

4. All posts will be done in the 3rd person present tense.
Example (for you non-English majors): Dave walks into the bar and says "Ouch."
If this grammar is beyond your understanding you should do one of two things:
a) Get hold of me or another DM via Google Hangouts or PM so that we can explain things more clearly for you.
b) Play on another PBP site. We have standards and do things a bit differently here on EU.

5. Spoken text must be written inside quotes.
Example:
John the Psycho Clown wrote:John says "Hi there young man, how are you?"

6. Posted thoughts must be written in italics.
Example:
John the Psycho Clown wrote:John sees an out-of place concession at the airport. Well, that's strange...a shaved ice stand in Alaska?

7. Certain GMs will ask for different formats, please understand that these are the default requirements for use on this website.

Short-hand list for EU writing customs:
Plain text is descriptive narrative.
Italicized text is used to convey a character's thoughts/internal monologue.
"Bold text is verbal speech. Please note that the quotes are inside the tags used to bold the text."
Telepathy is italicized and light blue in color (color=#0040FF).
"Verbal speech conducted via electronic means like radio, is bolded and colored dark blue (color=#0000FF)."

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NORMAL POSTS AND COMBAT POSTS

NORMAL POST:
Post a Perception Roll. (D20)
Post a Just in Case (JIC) Saving Throw roll (D20).
Post what you want to do and say. Include flavor text to heart's content. Remember not to "God-Mod"...you can only write about what your character does/experiences.

Example:
John the Psycho Clown wrote:Perception: 9
JIC: 13

John walks into the petting zoo and notes the absence of Llamas. He looks around for an attendant, if he sees one he will approach them and say "Hey there, I was wondering where you keep the delicious, err...pretty Llamas." He smiles and tries not to look too crazy.

COMBAT POST:
Post a Perception Roll. (D20)
Post a Just in Case Saving Throw roll (D20). (JIC)
State your initiative roll. (INT)
State your number of attacks per melee. (APM)
State any condition already effecting you (Invulnerability to energy spell, stumbling drunk, etc.)
Describe your intended actions for that entire melee round. Include flavor text as you deem fit.

Include all rolls associated with an action, include any bonuses applicable in your stated roll.
When a Natural 20 is rolled state as such.
If you have auto-parry (all PCs with a HTH combat skill have this) and intend to parry melee attacks, provide a number of parry rolls equal to your APM.
If you have auto-dodge (few PCs have this) and intend to dodge incoming ranged/projectile attacks, provide a number of auto-dodge rolls equal to your APM.

Example:
John the Psycho Clown wrote:Perception: 9
JIC: 11
Initiative: 18+3=21
APM: 5

Conditions: Insane, suffering allergic reaction to pollen.

I'm surrounded! John thought to himself. Everywhere around were Daisies, vicious white Daisies, a whole field of the evil, little, happy things! "I'll crush you all!" shouts John and he proceeds to storm about, stomping furiously.

Action 1: Stomp attack toward Daisies on the left! Strike: 13+2=15, Damage: 3
Action 2: Stomp attack toward Daisies on the right! Strike: 11+2=13, Damage: 2
Action 3: Stomp attack toward Daisies on the left! Strike: 2+2=4 (miss)
Action 4: Stomp attack toward Daisies on the right! Strike: 7+2=9, Damage: 5
Action 5: Will reserve for dodge (13+6=19, or for wiping nose if the snot gets the best of him)

Parry Rolls (in case the daisies go on the offense): 13, 11, 18, 7, 17 (+3 modifier not included)

RIFTS: MERCTOWN GROUPS

All PCs must find and join a group in a reasonable amount of time. Groups which have formed must get out of town and start adventuring in a reasonable amount of time. In either case, lingering around MercTown for prolonged periods is unfair to the Moderators. I will be the one to determine what's "reasonable" so no quibbling. There are two types of groups that a PC can be part of: INDEPENDENT or SPONSORED

There are differences between the two, so read carefully.

Independent
:arrow: Follow their own code of conduct
:arrow: Choose their own assignments
:arrow: Split earnings & "loot" as they see fit
:arrow: Hire & Fire whoever they like
:arrow: Can be as few as 4 PCs or as large as 8 PCs
:arrow: Headed up by a "Group Leader"

Sponsored
:arrow: Usually have a "set" code of conduct or general group alignment
:arrow: Have assigned missions
:arrow: Receive earnings & split "loot" as defined in the group charter
:arrow: Hired and fired by an NPC "Sponsor" at his discretion
:arrow: Can be as few as 5 PCs or as large as 10 PCs
:arrow: Headed up by a "Group Leader"
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Augur
Admin

Re: SITE-WIDE PBP RULES

Postby Augur » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:40 am

Clarification: Just In Case

A JIC roll is a D20 die roll result.

The Just In Case (JIC) roll is used as a one-size-fits-all saving throw roll.

Players need to include a JIC roll in every post. Failure to do so gives Moderators and GMs free reign to screw with your character in truly diabolical ways.

If your GM specifically requires a % die roll result, he needs to state as much in his GM Introduction/Expectations post--usually found in a group's Catch-All Thread. Otherwise, JIC is only a single D20 die roll result.
Augur
Admin

Re: SITE-WIDE PBP RULES

Postby Augur » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Grammar is important!
Maximizing your XP per post, accurately conveying your thoughts & actions clearly in the game, and being able to clearly understand the same of others is of paramount importance to a PBP game, so you seriously need to proofread your writing.

Here are some helpful tools to this end:
Augur
Admin

Return to House Rules