Nightbane

Fan art, fiction, OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.

Moderator: Augur

Would you be interested in Nightbane?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Yes
56%
Yes, but not the suggested setting
No votes
Yes, but with a different Game Master
11%
No
33%

Total votes : 18

Nightbane

Postby Spiderweb » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:10 pm

I have been considering the possibility of running a Nightbane game. If I run the game, it will be centered around a single metropolitan area (Probably Toledo).

I plan to have two paranormal players contending for control, the Nightlord of Glass City (the Nightlands Toledo), who is relatively new and weak, as the city has only recently grown large enough to qualify for one, and the Vampire Prince who runs "Sunside" Toledo. The way I view it, there are very few Master Vampires, and not all that many Vampires all together, as they have to keep their existence a myth.

When Darkday happened, many key players were replaced by minions of the Nightlords...however a number of them had been under Vampire control. The Two Dark Monsters have contended for control since...and the players are sometimes used as pawns as each side strikes at the other.

I have previously run games on this site, the most recent was an HU2 game set in World War 2. I tend to do good research on my settings, but am not always great at long game turns or good dialog. I also have a weakness when it comes to keeping a game going after the first few story arcs (which is one reason for the limited setting).
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Re: Nightbane

Postby Dhaltuun Onyxforge » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:24 am

awesome. i have always wanted to try that game. i volunteer as canon fodder, while you hone your GM skills. :)
Conditions
PPE: 9 / 108
H.P.: 44 / 44
S.D.C.: 60 / 64
Mage Armor: 32 / 50
Nightvision 100 ft
Current form – dwarf
railgun ammo: 100 / 200
Dhaltuun Onyxforge
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Tyrannosapiens Rex » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:02 am

I will at the very least be willing to read it. I have every nightbane book save the 5k print run one.

I will also volunteer my services as an AGM if you find yourself ready to go with a group.

I dunno if I want to play anything, but if so, I've always been fond of the Astral Mage.
Of all the things encountered in the Megaverse, the most vile and evil are not the demons, or Alien Intelligences. No, even the Old Ones pale in vileness to the Human Tyrant King. For, only he treats his own kind, every day of his life, with the kind of careless attitude the Old Ones treated the so-called lesser races.
Tyrannosapiens Rex
Game Master

Postby Spiderweb » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:58 pm

I have been reading a bit, possibly "Glass City" would not rate a Night Lord of its own, but a Ba'al-Zebul (Night Prince) in service to the Night Lord of Detroit. Still formidable, but not quite as overwhelming.

Something else I was considering encouraging, but would likely not enforce, was the possibility of using the Tables from Dead Reign or Systems Failure for generating background skills. It seems to make a lot of sense to me in both Nightbane and HU. Comments on the idea are welcome.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby CS High Command » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Beyond the Supernatural had them as well.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)
"Yippee-ki-yay magic lovers." Lt. John Freeman, CS110 at the Sorocco Skirmish of May 110PA

(Many thanks to SNAFU for the basis of my new AVATAR!)
CS High Command
Game Master

Postby Vortigern » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:12 am

Very interested.
Vortigern
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Wi-Fi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:43 pm

Very promising set up and battles could be real strategy challenges. Would epsilon teams be involved? And how often would mirror jumps happen?
OOC Comments
Wi-Fi's character sheet
[OOC]bonuses in green apply only when Force aura is active.
PPE: 15
ISP: 130/140
HP: 30 (34 with aura)
SDC: 47 (260)

Swarm status: 5 (all healthy)
SDC: 50/50/50/50/50

TRS-13
SDC: 50
AR: 6

Shock Gloves:
• Range: Melee
• Damage: None. This gloves discharge an energy charge that short circuits the nervous system. Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry and dodge for 2d4 melee rounds.
A successful saving throw means the person has successfully fought off the effect and is unimpaired. Roll to save against each strike. Saving throw versus toxins.
• Rate of Fire: Single shots only, five shots total per melee
• Payload: 10/10 shots per charge (no clip)
[/OOC]
Wi-Fi

Postby Spiderweb » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:00 am

Wi-Fi wrote:Very promising set up and battles could be real strategy challenges. Would epsilon teams be involved? And how often would mirror jumps happen?

There is a military (Air Force Reserve) base in the area of Toledo where an Epsilon team could be based. Should someone want to play an ADA character, they would obviously be more involved. Of course, given that in reality the basic organization of agencies has already happened since 911, it might be called HSA in the setting (The ADA might be a Shadow Agency within the HSA, I will have to do a bit more study on the question)

Mirror Jumping tends to be a kind of risky thing, and requires some very specific things unless one happens to be a Nightbane. For example, you need a mirror that has been in the same place for a long time (I mean decades...preferably centuries) if you are going to be able to get back through it. It will happen, and may get more frequent if the campaign continues as the players learn the location of usable return mirrors, but is unlikely to be an everyday thing.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby CS High Command » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 am

I'd argue that the guys still loyal to the real US government and the American ideal would still be the ADA (since as per Between the Shadows Page 10, right side, third paragraph mentions it's what they call themselves now). Now they might still have their FBI, Homeland Security, DEA, or ATF Badges, or not. But they'd consider themselves part of the ADA/Spook Squad. The NSB basically is Homeland Security. I'd keep the name the same as the book, to reduce confusion.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)
"Yippee-ki-yay magic lovers." Lt. John Freeman, CS110 at the Sorocco Skirmish of May 110PA

(Many thanks to SNAFU for the basis of my new AVATAR!)
CS High Command
Game Master

Postby Augur » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:14 am

I see seven votes for a Nightbane game. That's sufficient interest.

Post reply if you can actually pay for the new character slot, and have the time to actually manage another character.
To help support this site, go to PayPal then make your donation to: lloyd.ritchey@gmail.com
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Augur
Admin

Postby Orbital Master » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:42 am

The only question I have is, are the Anthanatos from NB4 allowable?
The Lord must have loved the void because he made an awful lot of it.
ImageImage
Orbital Master
Game Master

Postby Spiderweb » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Orbital Master wrote:The only question I have is, are the Anthanatos from NB4 allowable?

I have the first 4 world books already. For Practical Purposes, an Anthanatos is similar to a Nightbane, with Psionics instead of magic. I do not think they would upset the game balance in any way.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Orbital Master » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Spiderweb wrote:
Orbital Master wrote:The only question I have is, are the Anthanatos from NB4 allowable?

I have the first 4 world books already. For Practical Purposes, an Anthanatos is similar to a Nightbane, with Psionics instead of magic. I do not think they would upset the game balance in any way.

Well, they are a little more complicated than that...and they can have magic and psionics
The Lord must have loved the void because he made an awful lot of it.
ImageImage
Orbital Master
Game Master

Postby Spiderweb » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Limited Magic...the "Light" powers they all have are more potentially disruptive because they all have both those and Psi, while any magic they have is instead of a psi ability.
Last edited by Spiderweb on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Wi-Fi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:23 pm

Have the ep..wouldn't mind a mirror master, captain cold, heatwave or boomerang..even the top.
A Flash-villain inspired nightbane might work.
Last edited by Wi-Fi on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOC Comments
Wi-Fi's character sheet

TRS-13

Shock Gloves:
• Damage: None. This gloves discharge an energy charge that short circuits the nervous system. Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry and dodge for 2d4 melee rounds.
A successful saving throw means the person has successfully fought off the effect and is unimpaired. Roll to save against each strike. Saving throw versus toxins.
[/OOC]
Wi-Fi

Postby Vortigern » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:23 am

Empty slot already at current.
Vortigern
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Sentinel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:44 am

I would be interested and have two open slots.
Yellow Dragon
OOC Comments
Languages: N:Class-Chinese/Mandarin,English, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Japanese, Hindi/Urdu
P.P.E.: 190/190 | H.P.: N/A | S.D.C.: 440/440 AR: 16
Spell reference at this Link
Ectype 1
Ectype P.P.E.: 190/190 | H.P.: N/A | S.D.C.: 440/440 Equipment: Mobile Compact Computer/ HUD interface, Neckband Radio/ID transponders
Ectype 2
Ectype P.P.E.: 190/190 | H.P.: N/A | S.D.C.: 440/440 Equipment: Robot Repair Kit with sophisticated tools, Neckband Radio/ID transponders
Ectype 3
Ectype P.P.E.: 190/190 | H.P.: N/A | S.D.C.: 440/440 Weapon: 40mm MM-1 Multiple Grenade Launcher Equipment: Neckband Radio/ID transponders

ImageImage
Sentinel
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Bryke » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:17 am

I am very interested. Have only 3 ep however.

If I played I would like to be an Astral Lord or Guardian or Even a NightBane
PPE: 236/126
ISP: 125/68
SDC:634/614 (All damage from MD sources converted to SDC)
HP:155/147

CAPTURED PPE: 0/0

BRYKE
SPELLBOOK

I am telecommunicating
I am speaking Trade 4
I am thinking

CURRENT CONDITIONS:
Bryke

Postby Augur » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:17 am

I see nine votes for a Nightbane game. That's sufficient interest.

Post reply if you can actually pay for the new character slot, and have the time to actually manage another character. Alan, send me a pm with the number of players who can do this and are committed to doing it.
To help support this site, go to PayPal then make your donation to: lloyd.ritchey@gmail.com
Augur
Admin

Postby Tyrannosapiens Rex » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:12 pm

I have appropriate empty slots, and will declare a tentative interest in it.

I wanna see development of all the crap needed for a dimension on EU. Not the whole treatment, but kinda a 'what to expect' cliff notes. You aren't just asking to GM, you are going for a full-fledged Dimension Master.

-EP costs for any setting unlocks
-House rules
-Setting Info
Of all the things encountered in the Megaverse, the most vile and evil are not the demons, or Alien Intelligences. No, even the Old Ones pale in vileness to the Human Tyrant King. For, only he treats his own kind, every day of his life, with the kind of careless attitude the Old Ones treated the so-called lesser races.
Tyrannosapiens Rex
Game Master

Postby Augur » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Tyrannosapiens Rex wrote:I have appropriate empty slots, and will declare a tentative interest in it.

I wanna see development of all the crap needed for a dimension on EU. Not the whole treatment, but kinda a 'what to expect' cliff notes. You aren't just asking to GM, you are going for a full-fledged Dimension Master.

-EP costs for any setting unlocks
-House rules
-Setting Info

Exactly.

Example

Alan, send me a pm with the number of players who can do this and are committed to doing it.
Augur
Admin

Postby Fox » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:34 pm

I was brainstorming a bit in the shower about EP, as it is not something I had thought about.

I was considering doing some EP costs for rarer races like Athanatos and Wampyr, and possibly for things like extra Swordbearer powers and for more complex (and thus likely more powerful) Nightbane Morpheus

Anything from outside the setting is going to be rare indeed...as the setting rules specify that rifts from outside always land in the Nightlands.

I will get to working on a better review in the near future.
Fox the Healer
Nightvision 40'
Superior Sense of Smell and Hearing
--Hearing is as keen as a dog's and has the same range of hearing
--Recognize and Track Familiar scent 28% (+4%) range 50', re-roll every 100' (+10% if mate or offspring)
--Track Blood Scent by smell alone 38% (+4%) Range 1,000'
I.S.P.: 102/120 | H.P.: 36/31 | S.D.C.: 26/26
Horror Factor: 12 | Natural AR: 6
Studded Leather Armor: AR 13, SDC 38, -5% mobility Penalty
Fox the Healer
Fox
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Wi-Fi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Even rifts has limited at best access to the setting.
OOC Comments
Wi-Fi's character sheet

TRS-13

Shock Gloves:
[/OOC]
Wi-Fi

Postby Spiderweb » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:13 am

Oddly, I did not get notified by any of the last few posts on this thread.

One thing I was thinking of doing is moving Dark Day to 2014 and having the game take place in the near future. I was imagining the hysteria as the sun goes out at about the time the End of the World cultists calculated the world would be ending. I was trying to decide between having Trump have won the election in 2016 or having had Obama declare Martial Law in 2014 and kept it in place, not allowing the 2016 elections. I was also trying to decide which candidates were under Vampire control and which ones have been replaced by Doppelgangers and which remain human and free of influence.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Dodskrigaren » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:44 am

I'd be interested in playing but I don't have a spare slot yet. I should get one with Patron benefits next month but not sure if that helps or not Alan.
Fun Sized Insanity
Dodskrigaren

P.P.E.: 27/27
I.S.P.: 53/53
H.P.: 52/52
S.D.C.: 99/99

NG RA20 Roadrunner Ride Armor
M.D.C.:
• Head/Helmet – 35/35
• Arms – 20/20 Right 20/20 Left
• Legs – 11/11 Right 11/11 Left
• Main Body – 32/32

NE-80 Slim-Line Lever Action Plasma Rifle

• Range: 2000’
• Damage: 1D4x10 M.D. per single shot
• Payload: 8/8 rounds (NE-003PC)

Forearm Grenade Launcher

• Range: 600'
• Rate of Fire: 1, 2, or 3
• Payload: 3 Grenades, current mix 1 NG Smoke, 1 NG Plasma, 1 NE High Explosive
• Notes: Voice Activated
Dodskrigaren

Postby John Altfeld » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:51 am

I'm likely interested in playing (and now have enough EP for the slot), but would like to know more about the universe stuff mentioned and am only really interested in playing a Nightbane. I also want to know how Morphus is going to be worked out.
John Altfeld
P.P.E.: 16/16
H.P./M.D.C.: 50/50
S.D.C.: 187/187
Pebble M.D.C.: 300/300
Growth M.D.C.: +15/+150/+525/+1,050/15/150/510/1,050

Number of Attacks: 6
Initiative Bonus: +3
Strike Bonus: +5
Parry Bonus: +9
Dodge Bonus: +12
Auto-Dodge: +5
John Altfeld
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Wi-Fi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Soon as my Patreon goes through Ill see about getting that free in active slot into an active. Still thinking a flash villain inspired Nightbane..
OOC Comments
Wi-Fi's character sheet

TRS-13

Shock Gloves:
[/OOC]
Wi-Fi

Postby Spiderweb » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:02 pm

Wi-Fi wrote:Soon as my Patreon goes through Ill see about getting that free in active slot into an active. Still thinking a flash villain inspired Nightbane..

There is a "Superhero" Morpheus type in the newest book I think. I do not have that one yet.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Dodskrigaren » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 pm

Spiderweb wrote:
Wi-Fi wrote:Soon as my Patreon goes through Ill see about getting that free in active slot into an active. Still thinking a flash villain inspired Nightbane..

There is a "Superhero" Morpheus type in the newest book I think. I do not have that one yet.

There is although it is more about looking like one than having the powers of one.
Fun Sized Insanity
Dodskrigaren

M.D.C.:
• Head/Helmet – 35/35
• Main Body – 32/32

Forearm Grenade Launcher

Dodskrigaren

Postby Spiderweb » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Setting/Background thoughts:

Assume Dark Day takes place in 2014 (probably December 21), though the 4 eclipses that year (October 23 PS, October 8 L, April 29 S, or April 15 L) might also be sensible dates.

1) Within minutes the sudden overload of the electrical grid causes brownouts or blackouts in major electrical grids.

2) Within hours lawless behavior and rioting happens in all major cities. Martial Law is declared to try to curb the riots and panic, though in some places the national guard units are equally panicked and join the rioters. The Government takes control of most Media outlets and strictly limits the Internet.

3) Many sightings of "Monsters" are reported, but are mainly considered to be the result of mass hysteria.

4) Draconian measures are used to quell the worst riots, many in the military are simply glad to have someone in authority telling them what to do. In general, peace is restored in the US.

Other countries have similar responses, but some are much different. In the Middle East, for example, Radical Islamist groups, claiming this is a sign from Allah, attempt coups in many countries or stage major attacks on Israel.

When Dark Day ends, the President keeps Martial Law in place until well into 2015. However, eventually restrictions are eased and a massive propaganda campaign starts painting Obama is the savior of the country and Hillary as his right hand through the crisis.

Despite the Martial Law, there was a continued increase in violence, generally reported in the media as Mass Shootings (this is one reason given for the extended Martial Law). However, behind closed doors at Homeland Security, it is an open secret that most of these events involve "Monsters"

Astoundingly, at least by all polling leading up to the Election, Donald Trump wins the 2016 election as a Republican. Even though the Republicans win a majority in both houses of Congress, progress is slow due to continued Democrat attempts to block Republican lead initiatives (aided by those Republicans who refuse to back the "Outsider" Trump).

BEHIND THE SCENES:
There are 7 Master Vampires on the Earth who have secretly pulled the strings on many governments, keeping the human masses as "cattle" or perhaps "sheep", depending on perspective, and keeping the number of Vampires low so as to hide their presence. There is 1 Master Vampire on each continent except Antarctica, but 2 in Asia (the one in the west of Asia also controls the Middle East).

On Dark Day, the Night Lords replaced a number of key figures worldwide with Doppelgangers or other minions who obey them, though many others were left alone.

In the United States, the Vampires have lately (for about the last 60 years) concentrated on control of the Democrat party, and of the people through a variety of Social Programs designed to increase dependency on the Government and by control of the Media. A few key Republicans are controlled to keep them ineffective. The sudden replacement of many key figures with others not under their control left them scrambling. Unable to gain control of many of those replaced, and unable to replace them en mass as their enemies did, they resorted to the tactic of suddenly switching their support to the Republicans and selecting a candidate who has not been replaced...thus removing many of the replaced LEGALLY. Special care is being taken to prevent any more key officials from being replaced,though several attempts have been made.

The Vampires have not yet determined who or what their true enemy is, as the Night Lords are outside the experience of any living Vampire. Possibly a Vampire Intelligence may know, if one could be summoned into the world, but the Masters are each reluctant to allow the other to amass the power required to do so.

The Vampires know of the Nightbane, they have been portrayed as monsters and beasts through history to help keep the people turned against them (and under Vampire Control). The sudden emergence of so many Nightbane has them concerned, but for the most part they have adopted a "keep hidden and manipulate them" approach. Only the Wild Vampires are free enough from the control of the Masters to break the low profile...and those who do are hunted down and destroyed to preserve the secrets of the more powerful.

The Night Lords, on the other hand, know much about the Vampires. They were able to learn from the Doppelgangers of those controlled by the Vampires. Even Doppelgangers of some of the humans who have become Vampires still exist, though the link between the two is cut when the human spirit is replaced by the Entitial Shard. This enabled the Night Lords to know who to replace to take over the existing Power Structure. They are rather upset that the Vampires were somehow stage a Trump win and many of them are upset that Martial Law was not kept up to prevent the election.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Spiderweb » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Dodskrigaren wrote:
Spiderweb wrote:

There is although it is more about looking like one than having the powers of one.

I imagine having the powers is a matter of selecting the right Nightbane abilities, depending on which villain.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Dodskrigaren » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Spiderweb wrote:
I imagine having the powers is a matter of selecting the right Nightbane abilities, depending on which villain.

Yeah, it is. Although it is a new Morphus table, there are some fairly powerful options, but most of it can be replicated by other tables (although the Super brain one and super speed one probably not) it is just the flavor of how they are presented that makes them "superbeing" kind of powers
Fun Sized Insanity
Dodskrigaren

M.D.C.:
• Head/Helmet – 35/35
• Main Body – 32/32

Forearm Grenade Launcher

Dodskrigaren

Postby Spiderweb » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:58 am

EP questions.

The way I see it, and the way it was set up, it is nearly impossible to get into the Nightbane world from other worlds. For Example, Rifts always lead to the Nightlands, and generally are found well out in the wastes when they appear. As a result, any character from other worlds is going to have an EP cost...and also remember that this is an SDC setting so MDC weapons, armor, and abilities are reduced to SDC equivalents.

My thoughts on Local races (meaning any from any Nightbane book) are as follows:

Being Human or Nightbane is free. They are the most common races, there should be no limits on how many of them are played.

Other Races:
Doppelgangers - Doppelgangers are the third most common race in the game...however they are usually going to be on her side. Because Doppelgangers can be any class that humans can be and are hard to detect, but have considerable benefits it only makes sense give them a minor EP cost.

Snake Bird - Frankly, I had forgotten this race even existed, they are magical creatures of the Nightlands, naturally spell casting creatures with a body resembling snake with the wings and talons of a raptorial bird. They are extremely rare, with natural spell casting abilities similar to a Mystic though no psychic powers. They are Rare, but not as physically powerful as a Wampyr or Nightbane, and are limited to their RCC only, with very few skills. As such, they have a ;limit of only 1 character in play, but a relatively low EP cost.

Vaash - A rare amphibious species brought to the Nightlands long ago by a rift. Similar to Snake-birds, they are extremely rare, but less powerful than a Nightbane. They have limited Psionic abilities and are an RCC, though they have more skills than a Snake Bird they are still unable to gain other classes. The EP cost of the race should be similar to a Snake Bird.

Guardians - Less common than Doppelgangers and more powerful, these should both have a higher EP cost and be limited to only 2 character of the race in play.

Flint People - Nearly unknown on Earth, more physically powerful than Doppelgangers, and able to be a variety of classes (except no Psychic classes), the Flint People are limited to only 1 character of the race in play and are likely to have an EP cost similar to the Guardians.

Wampyr - First off, no other type of Vampires can be played as characters. The Wampyr can be played, but are so rare only one can be allowed at a time. They are as physically powerful as a Nightbane and have the ability to become powerful psychics, given time to mature. Their weaknesses...the sun allergy and the need for blood...somewhat mitigate their strengths, so their EP cost should be about the same as a Guardian.

Athanatos - As powerful as a Nightbane, with powers like a Guardian and Psi and possibly limited magic, they are as rare and powerful as a Wampyr without the weaknesses. They will cost more EP than a Wampyr and likewise be limited to one in play at a time.

Necrophim - These creatures are pretty much a dark mirror of the Athanatos. They have the ability to physically travel from their home on the astral plane to the Nightlands, Earth, or the Dreamscape, limited shape shifting powers, magic fairly similar to a Mystic, and a handful of psychic abilities. Most of them are evil NPC's, but in theory one could be a PC under similar restrictions to the Athanatos.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Dodskrigaren » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 pm

From what we talked about earlier on Hangouts:

Maybe use the BTS Occupation system for characters

Allow BTS PCC classes as a dimensional unlock

Use the BTS Genius/Natural in place of the Nightbane one, it is more complete and thorough
Fun Sized Insanity
Dodskrigaren

M.D.C.:
• Head/Helmet – 35/35
• Main Body – 32/32

Forearm Grenade Launcher

Dodskrigaren

Postby Spiderweb » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:55 am

I seem to recall suggesting using some form of occupation tables (it may have been a in conversation with someone though). It makes better sense to me than the tendency to try to maximize skills for usefulness that often comes up.

I mean look, in most cases you are playing someone who had a normal life before. That should mean that you are generally not going to be an acrobat/gymnast/boxer/long distance runner who also happens to know computer hacking and how to pick locks. (I sure don't fit any of these)
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Dodskrigaren » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:31 am

Yeah, that was with me.

I had basically said the BTS Occupation system gets more normal characters. But that the PCC's and magic OCC's would need to have a couple skills added to their known skills to use that system regardless of what occupation they had. I had brought it up mostly as a "this is probably what I would do in a home game" because of it requiring an extra base book for players wanting to play and you said someone could just put up the relevant info from BTS.

But to expand on the other two things while I'm typing...

The Genius/Natural in Nightbane is a neat idea but it isn't fleshed out well in my opinion. The one from BTS is pretty well written and in the same rough power scale as Nightbane so why not use the BTS one is my thought.

Likewise, most of the BTS PCC's have the same kind of feel as a lot of the Nightbane classes, a human who believes in the things that go bump in the night because they have abilities. And the things that go bump in the night can be deadly. In a lot of cases, I think they took what had been a Nightbane PCC and fleshed it out more and combined it with old BTS PCCs to end up with some of the ones that are in BTS 2e
Fun Sized Insanity
Dodskrigaren

M.D.C.:
• Head/Helmet – 35/35
• Main Body – 32/32

Forearm Grenade Launcher

Dodskrigaren

Postby Spiderweb » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:12 am

First of all, a revision of the previous post about "Local Races"

Free Races
Humans (Earth Native)
Nightbane (Earth Native...presumably)

1 EP
Doppelgangers (Nightlands Native)

2 EP
Snake Birds (Nightlands Native)
Vaash (Nightlands Import)

3 EP
Guardians (Earth Native Altered human)
Wampyr (Earth Native Altered human)

4 EP
Flint People (Astral Plane Expatriot Nightlands Import)

5 EP
Athanatos (Earth Native Altered human)

6 EP
Necrophim (Astral Plane Native)
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Spiderweb » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Other Settings:
Characters from any other setting start with a minimum of a 3 EP cost.

Beyond the Supernatural: Many of the character classes, especially the Psychic Ones, were based on the original BTS, though modified. Those, in turn, became the basis of the 2nd edition BTS Psychic classes. However, I do not personally have a copy of the second edition of BTS in print and so may have difficulty checking the details of such a character. I will allow a Native character (human or Doppelganger only) to unlock BTS classes for 2 EP. Characters actually from the BTS universe will cost 3 EP.

Heroes Unlimited: Locals should use Nightbane, Guardians, Anthanatos, and so forth in place of most supers with powers. The Swordbearer class is used in place of the Magic Item character. However, the Physical Training and Special Training character classes should be possible as variations of the Natural Genius class. A Character may unlock a non-powered HU class for a Nightbane native Human or Doppelganger for 3 EP (note that Robotics and Hardware count as powers). Superheroes with powers should have a minimum cost of 6 EP.

Ninjas and Superspies/Mystic China: In theory, a Doppelganger, Vampire, or most shape-changed minions of the Nightlords would be creatures of Negative Chi, which means any person trained in sensing Chi cold spot them immediately. This goes against the spirit of the Nightbane game, where being uncertain who your friends and enemies are is a major plot point. Regretfully, I am forced to disallow Chi using characters of any sort who would use N&S rules. (For now, nothing N&S)

Palladium Fantasy: In theory, most characters from Palladium Fantasy are able to work in Nightbane. A Diabolist or Summoner might cause great mischief though. Man at Arms classes and Psychic Classes should have no trouble functioning in Nightbane (though they might not last long,lacking an understanding of modern weapons). The bast cost to be from Palladium is 4 EP, with possibly an additional cost for potentially unbalancing characters.

TMNT: You are generally better off using a Nightbane with an animal based form. I see not reason you could not use the game system if you want. Still 3 EP minimum cost.

Dead Reign/Systems Failure: In theory, characters from those worlds should adapt easily, though there may be some exceptions. I will put the base EP cost to be from the world as 3 EP, but may reserve the right to add an EP cost for specific classes.

General Rules for any MDC setting:
Aside from being reduced from MCD to SCD + HP & AR, a number of other things about high technology settings could be very disruptive. I am not going to blanket disallow it, but if anyone with advanced technology does show up in the game, (and this includes Robotics characters from HU and some Hardware Characters) be prepared to have a lot of bad guys out to steal your stuff to reverse engineer it. Characters from Chaos Earth, Rifts, Phase World, Robotech, and Splicers will be at least 6 EP, and characters with particularly disruptive concepts could be much higher or disallowed. Also remember, such characters always arrive in the Nightlands and generally in the Wastes.

Dyval and Hades: Demons do not go to the Nightlands...not in over 150 years. When the Nightlords not only threw out the last demonic invasion, but completely destroyed the home dimension of the invaders the Nightlands were declared OFF LIMITS. In Theory, someone fleeing from the Minion War might run to the Nightlands as the only place they might not be chased, but in general those would be limited to the Hosts of Dyval (Cryxon, Forest Stalker. Harpy, Shock Beast, Shock Dragon, and Tiger Beast) and to Gargoyles from Hades (Mostly Gurgoyles and Gargoylites). Such a character would have to be rare creatures of Good alignment (no worse than Unprincipled) who somehow escaped without being stripped of their powers. As such, an EP cost of 9+ is suggested.

Rifts: In addition to technology, Rifts has extremely potent Magic and Psychic Powers, In the relatively weak magic field of the Nightbane setting, such characters will find their powers greatly weakened. Any spell or psychic ability will use the local version if one is available and characters will be scrutinized for potential Disruption.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Dodskrigaren » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Thoughts:

I think the BTS classes are better presented than the Nightbane PCC's, but if you feel an EP tax is appropriate, I get it.

I don't think Heroes Unlimited characters should really be allowed in. The game has a different tone and style, and that is the ones that are not possessed of super abilities or training. Physical Training characters can hold their own in combat against a Morphus form Nightbane, and don't have to risk supernatural detection. Many Special Training characters have access to far more skills than the typical Nightbane OCC/PCC. Superpowers can range a whole variety, you probably know that better than me, but in general I don't see how most power categories could fit into Nightbane without some restructuring of the background material.

Palladium Fantasy has a communication issue, but as OCC's they could represent people from an underdeveloped part of the world (maybe one held back by the Vampire Intelligence's or agents of the Nightlords) or weird natives of the Nightlands/Astral Plane.

Anything from Rifts/Robotech/High tech worlds I wouldn't allow. At least not with any gear. I mean, if they want to come with setting appropriate gear, then sure. I mean I could totally see an Atlantean Undead Slayer participating in the campaign. I think for those worlds is would come down to "what fits in with the campaign I am wanting to run?" and just picking EP costs for that.

As far as demons, Nigthbane has a race of native demons. Other than them, I wouldn't allow any.

My two cents. I think your race EP benchmarks are pretty accurate for the type of campaign you talked about.
Fun Sized Insanity
Dodskrigaren

M.D.C.:
• Head/Helmet – 35/35
• Main Body – 32/32

Forearm Grenade Launcher

Dodskrigaren

Postby Dhaltuun Onyxforge » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:11 pm

*throws 2 pennies on table*
HU: I think that some classes could work in nightbane. Mainly any special training. I mean, no superman, but yes to batman....training is one thing....powers another. b

N&SS: some aspects could be used...like the thief who became a nightbane....or the monastary student who suddenly knew magic?? i think most would work for "what you were" rather than what you are now.
Conditions
PPE: 9 / 108
H.P.: 44 / 44
S.D.C.: 60 / 64
Mage Armor: 32 / 50
Nightvision 100 ft
Current form – dwarf
railgun ammo: 100 / 200
Dhaltuun Onyxforge
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Tyrannosapiens Rex » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Any EP costs for O.C.Cs? Fleshsculptor, Astral Lord, Cybermage?

As for HU2 characters, I have previously used native Experiments to give the Spook Squad a fighting chance in previous campaigns. I didn't find them OP. As for superheroes from another dimension, I'd enjoy seeing the player role play adapting to a dark setting like Nightbane almost as much as watching them adapt to Rifts. Dhaltuun might have a point about Hardware/Special Training types as well.

While I applaud your choice to make the game a more open setting than PF, I think you can just leave out the Hades/Dyval stuff. EU has already failed one such experiment. N&SS will require a lot of... well, fixing, for anyone to include it.
Tyrannosapiens Rex
Game Master

Postby Spiderweb » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Tyrannosapiens Rex wrote:Any EP costs for O.C.Cs? Fleshsculptor, Astral Lord, Cybermage?

As for HU2 characters, I have previously used native Experiments to give the Spook Squad a fighting chance in previous campaigns. I didn't find them OP. As for superheroes from another dimension, I'd enjoy seeing the player role play adapting to a dark setting like Nightbane almost as much as watching them adapt to Rifts. Dhaltuun might have a point about Hardware/Special Training types as well.

While I applaud your choice to make the game a more open setting than PF, I think you can just leave out the Hades/Dyval stuff. EU has already failed one such experiment. N&SS will require a lot of... well, fixing, for anyone to include it.

I have not yet finished the question of EP for classes. I feel certain there will be an EP cost for some, just as there are costs for some Races.

I already noted that Special Training types from in setting will be possible with a reduced EP cost and will be considered as Natural Genius types. Hardware types I left off for reasons, hardware characters frequently possess more advanced technology than is locally available. If a character capable of creating such technology that is "real" technology exists, others could get their hands on it, creating severe changes in the local technology. I was trying to keep the world seeming, at least to the general public, as close to exactly like our own as possible (at least, before Dark Day).

Given that the power level of the creatures from Dyval and Hades is no higher than that of locals of many sorts, and the high cost of creating one, I saw no reason to exclude them entirely. I do not expect many to want to play them though.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Wi-Fi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:52 am

Captain cold or Heatwave should work. Boomerang would require tech. The other two are energy expulsion type. Mirrormaster would be my number one..but trickier to work out.
OOC Comments
Wi-Fi's character sheet

TRS-13

Shock Gloves:
[/OOC]
Wi-Fi

Postby John Altfeld » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:44 am

It being Nightbane, I wouldn't worry about bringing any classes from other games except possibly Beyond the Supernatural, and that only because it could be considered similar to pre-Dark Day Nightbane Earth.

But honestly, why not simply limit it to Nightbane only OCCs/RCCs? It's not Rifts, it's not meant to be a dimensional crossroads with tons of out-of-dimension characters.
John Altfeld
P.P.E.: 16/16
H.P./M.D.C.: 50/50
S.D.C.: 187/187
Pebble M.D.C.: 300/300
Growth M.D.C.: +15/+150/+525/+1,050/15/150/510/1,050

Number of Attacks: 6
Initiative Bonus: +3
Strike Bonus: +5
Parry Bonus: +9
Dodge Bonus: +12
Auto-Dodge: +5
John Altfeld
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Spiderweb » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:07 pm

I would not worry much about it. The BTS Psychic classes from the original BTS were the basis of the ones in Nightbane, therefore there should not be too much trouble if someone wants to play a second edition version.

As to the HU Training characters, by stipulating that they are considered Natural/Genius Psychic characters, it immediately limits them to only being played by Humans and Doppelgangers.

I wish to allow the possibility of people playing things outside the norm, but I expect that most people who are planning to join this game will be doing so because they want to play characters from Nightbane...not characters from HU or BTS.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Dodskrigaren » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:32 pm

I was thinking about it today, and I can actually see some of the special training from HU2 working in Nightbane a little more. Hunters, Super Slueths, the Spy one, I could see as members of the Spook Squad or Lightbringers, maybe Seekers.

But yeah, one would hope people join a Nightbane game to play a Nightbane
Fun Sized Insanity
Dodskrigaren

M.D.C.:
• Head/Helmet – 35/35
• Main Body – 32/32

Forearm Grenade Launcher

Dodskrigaren

Postby Dodskrigaren » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Another thing about non-Nightbane characters, for that would mean magic OCCs from outside Nightbane. Are you going to allow Nightbane to take one instead of Nightbane Sorcerer or Mystic?
Fun Sized Insanity
Dodskrigaren

M.D.C.:
• Head/Helmet – 35/35
• Main Body – 32/32

Forearm Grenade Launcher

Dodskrigaren

Postby Sentinel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:45 pm

I would suggest just using standard conversion rules for Fantasy or any other OCC that would be tech and language deficient. I think it was added recently to House Rules somewhere.
Yellow Dragon
OOC Comments
Languages: N:Class-Chinese/Mandarin,English, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Japanese, Hindi/Urdu
P.P.E.: 190/190 | H.P.: N/A | S.D.C.: 440/440 AR: 16
Spell reference at this Link
Ectype 1
Ectype P.P.E.: 190/190 | H.P.: N/A | S.D.C.: 440/440 Equipment: Mobile Compact Computer/ HUD interface, Neckband Radio/ID transponders
Ectype 2
Ectype P.P.E.: 190/190 | H.P.: N/A | S.D.C.: 440/440 Equipment: Robot Repair Kit with sophisticated tools, Neckband Radio/ID transponders
Ectype 3
Ectype P.P.E.: 190/190 | H.P.: N/A | S.D.C.: 440/440 Weapon: 40mm MM-1 Multiple Grenade Launcher Equipment: Neckband Radio/ID transponders

ImageImage
Sentinel
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Spiderweb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Dodskrigaren wrote:Another thing about non-Nightbane characters, for that would mean magic OCCs from outside Nightbane. Are you going to allow Nightbane to take one instead of Nightbane Sorcerer or Mystic?

In theory it may be possible, I will have to check some details, but it will still get at least a 3 EP penalty for non-native classes...and some classes like the Shifter I am likely to forbid as too disruptive.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Bryke » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 am

'Setting and Background Thoughts'

Questions:

1. What is the Entitial Shard?
2. Why is Antarctica left out- with all the youtube press on the matter RL I am just curious
3. Where would or what would be our groups focus or introduction or is the setting wide open on purpose so we can as a group decide what our "mission statement" so-to-speak is?
4. What is the actual take home cost of playing nightbane if one is already playing a character in the phase world dimension, but wanted to play a human or nightbane? The EP thing is still confusing to me.

1. I really like the setting, since we can relate to it. Very cool.
2. I didnt know we even had that many eclipses in 2014...
Bryke

Next

Return to Out of Character Topics