Re: Super Power Correction Efforts - Discussion

Fan art, fiction, OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.

Moderator: Augur

Postby Blackhaunt » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:39 am

There's a lot of shit to wade through here. I will be going through and giving my opinions on power updates. Keep in mind, that the idea is to fix powers that are BROKEN not to rewrite the entire book set. With this many house rules, it ceases to be the game folks are able to simply pick up a book to understand. I say this because, while there are some characters that exist in the Rifts and Phase World games that have super powers, my entire dimension is based around it.

POST IN PROGRESS

HU2:

Minor:
Bend Light: Moving this power from initiative to perception makes sense. With the update to our site's perception rules, is a 20% penalty should be changed to match the power's original chances for discovery. 18/20 is 90%. A 90% modifier seems extreme, so let's try matching whatever modifier Invisibility uses.

Underwater Abilities: Adding Superhuman Strength (a minor power) to Underwater Abilities (a minor power) would make this an over powered minor. It doesn't state what type of strength it is so jumping to Superhuman (over Extraordinary) is a stretch. Leave this one as is.

Major:
Animal Abilities: Fish: Doubled strength is fine. As someone who plays an underwater character, this comes into play rarely. Very rarely. Let the fish-person have their fun.

Alter Facial Features and Physical Stature: I like this edit.

Alter Metabolism: The duration is there to reward characters at a higher level with multiple hours of healing. This is the character actively choosing to use their metabolic powers in this way. In addition, there are side effects which, if the duration is removed and the power is always on, will always be on as well. Leave the duration in place.

APS Healing/Conversion Issues: The problem with this update is the APS powers that don't have Extraordinary/Augmented Strength (specifically the ones that don't have super strength at all) don't note that they don't have it. They don't say anything.

Control Water: Enhanced Strength doesn't mean you can swim. People with enhanced swimming abilities or the ability to walk on water (CEF: Water, Wave Rider, Underwater Abilities, Animal Abilities: Fish) should have a chance to escape. The "dizzy and disoriented" part explains the difficulties of getting out. You're in a water tornado. If you're being tossed about, trying to right yourself and not drown at the same time, your ability to get out of the situation is going to be wildly hampered.

Control Kinetic Energy: Null Movement isn't magic. And Physical Endurance doesn't translate to a save vs speed. It is specific in what it tells you to roll and does not say that any other bonuses may be applied. Keep this power as is.

Disruptive Touch: The addition of bonuses to save vs 15 make this Major power much less formidable. There are already many limitations in place (no EBA, no APS, Death Touch applies penalties to the attacker) that keep this power where it should be.

Holographic Memory Projection: The power very clearly states why one cannot record during combat.

Super Energy Expulsion: This is a typo problem that was fixed with a later printing of the book. As of my physical 6th edition, it clearly states "The character only takes half damage from all other forms of energy".

PU1:

Minor:
Major:

PU2:

Minor:
Major:

PU3:

Minor:
Anatomical Manipulation: The power isn't broken. Penalties are there for logical reasons.

Dimensional Pocket: I like this idea. But for the site, is it necessary? Who will forget what they put in their pocket when everything is logged via posts/sheets?

Energy Fists: The instant activation allows for parries to be made using the power, similarly to Create Force Field or Bio-Armor. We could include an initiative mechanic, but I'd like to avoid over complicating things.

Energy Expulsion: Particle Beam: Not broken. Not underpowered compared to other Energy Expulsions.

Energy Expulsion: Shadow Bolt: Not broken. Just a tiny bit of flavor and a sub-minor version of Shadow Cloak.

Extraordinary Intelligence: This change makes sense.

Focused Touch: This shouldn't be based on the size of the character, but their Physical Strength number and type. But I agree that a change would be good.

Immune to High Speed Kinetic Attacks: Enhanced Strength characters may not be throwing small things faster, they might also be throwing large things at a slow/normal speed. We'd have to figure out the mechanics behind that which is more energy than I think any of us care to spend. We can leave this one alone.

Knock Back Attack: Not broken. If you're strong enough to do 161-201+ damage in a single attack and you have this power, go for it. *goes to create an NPC*

Line Transit: Not broken. The duration combined with the 1 mile/3 seconds gives you 5 miles per melee round. After that, you'd either pop out of the nearest outlet/receiver/etc or one could follow the rules for unfamiliar locations listed in the power. Sounds like fun wiggle room for the GM.

Shadow Cloak: Not broken. The perception penalty would be due to not being able to perceive the physicality of the character you're targeting. Initiative penalty would be due to time spent compensating for it.

Shadow Trap: Not broken. Devastating? Yes. Overpowered? No. You can't stack them on top of each other just like you can't stack two flame walls on top of each other for double damage. Next to each other? Sure. But in order to use 3-4 of these you would need to be level 6 or 9. If after having stepped into a trap originally one doesn't dodge or walk around it the second time? That's just being dumb. Given that they're immobile and one would need to be of a high level of any of this to be a problem, I'm going to leave this one as is.

Space Native: Not broken. Magic is special because it's magic. Character isn't immune to magic. They're impervious to cold. So they are resistant to cold based magic.

Sticky Globs: Not broken. Sticky Pete is awesome.

Major:

Aerodynamics: Good call.

APS: Air: 10% damage is negligible. I'm not 100% on the 500 lb weight limit, but definitely something related to weight and possibly strength levels.

APS: Ash: Not broken. 100 MPH isn't a slight breeze.

APS: Foam: 10% damage is negligible.

APS: Glass: 1. Agreed. 2. It's not well explained, but its clear to me. Don't choose another power that makes you tougher than glass. Leaving Intangibility, Invulnerability and Bulletproof but removing Force Fields and adding an addendum to "nor any power that is contrary to his glass nature" stating "*other protective powers are at the GMs discretion."

APS: Goo: Not broken but sure, this works.

APS: Magnet: Impervious to Electricity + Vulnerable to Magic = Resistant to Magic Electricity. 25'/level is fine.

APS: Mercury: 10% damage is negligible.

APS: Pebbles: No broken but sure, this works.

APS: Plastic: 320 SDC sounds good.

APS: Rag Doll: Not broken. The damage makes sense.

APS: Void: Add "See page 214 of AU:GG for list of powers immune/resistant to depressurization." No need for PE bonus.

Animate Objects: Agreed. Should be a minor.

Dismantle Machines: Not broken.

Illusions: Agreed.

Immobilization Ray: Agreed.

Indestructible: It's fine. The weight limit puts it in the big leagues. Barely, but it's there.

Junkyard: Agreed. This is a good one.

Life Leech: Your second option sounds like what I'm getting when I read the book.

Matter Expulsion: Agreed.

Matter Expulsion: Plastic: Parry and Dodge sound reasonable as defenses against those two.
Let the GAMES begin.
ImageImageImage
Blackhaunt
Dimension Master

Postby Wi-Fi » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:46 pm

Intangibility
This is another power that requires concentration - which would make use of Psionic or other mental powers untenable.
Solution: my two cents: Agree with ya on active powers that need concentration, brute. I would allow psionic abilities that do not need focus such as Auto-mind block.

Beastmaster
The save is already very high (17) - making it all but automatic already. Removing the saving throw can lead to potential for abuse (i.e., controlling a mage's familiar).
Certain Highly intelligent, magical and/or summoned beasts as well could be abused. Pretty sure there is an intelligent regular animal that is sentient as well.
Solution: Lower save to that of a regular human and an add bonuses for pe/ME if they apply. Charming something like a mammoth should not be easy as charming a squirrel.
Last edited by Wi-Fi on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
OOC Comments
Wi-Fi's character sheet
[OOC]bonuses in green apply only when Force aura is active.
PPE: 15
ISP: 130/140
HP: 30 (34 with aura)
SDC: 47 (260)

Swarm status: 5 (all healthy)
SDC: 50/50/50/50/50

TRS-13
SDC: 50
AR: 6

Shock Gloves:
• Range: Melee
• Damage: None. This gloves discharge an energy charge that short circuits the nervous system. Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry and dodge for 2d4 melee rounds.
A successful saving throw means the person has successfully fought off the effect and is unimpaired. Roll to save against each strike. Saving throw versus toxins.
• Rate of Fire: Single shots only, five shots total per melee
• Payload: 10/10 shots per charge (no clip)
[/OOC]
Wi-Fi
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby John Altfeld » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:47 am

PU3 Minor Powers

Anatomical Manipulation
Problem: There are penalties for using basic features of the power. Also, I’m deeply uncomfortable with the phrase “Flesh Pockets.”
Solution: Remove the penalties for moving your eyes around to weird locations. It’s a core aspect of having the power.

Dimensional Pocket
Problem: Uhhh, what happens if you forget that you put, like, $5 in there? It’s just stuck there forever and you can never figure it out and you just accumulate things like that so that you can double the time it takes to find anything, but you forgot what was in there anyway? And it’s in stasis?
Solution: The character can rummage around in the dimensional pocket in order to retrieve forgotten items.

Energy Fists
Problem/Solution: Inconsistent with overall activation rules. Takes 1 action to activate/deactivate Energy Fists.

Energy Expulsion: Particle Beam
Problem: Two successful hit ranges listed. Underpowered as hell because it requires 3 melee attacks to use.
Solution: 11-20 hits and it only takes 2 melee actions to fire a Particle Beam.

Energy Expulsion: Shadow Bolt
Problem: Includes a nonsensical attacker initiative penalty.
Solution: Attackers do not suffer an initiative penalty because their target is covered in shadowy wisps.

Extraordinary IQ
Problem: How do the bonus skills work in settings other than the weird skill setup of HU2?
Solution: A character with Extraordinary IQ in a non-HU2 setting can either 1. Select a skill program from Heroes Unlimited, but the skills must be available in/appropriate to the setting; OR 2. Select 4 additional OCC Related Skills.

Focused Touch
Problem: Another knockdown power that always works, regardless of the target.
Solution: The Focused Touch knockdown effect is successful as follows - 90% chance if target is smaller than attacker, 60% if the same weight, 50% if target is up to 50% heavier, 20% if 100% heavier, no chance if target is over 100% heavier. I originally considered increasing these percentages (100%, 75%, 60%, 33%, and 20% up to 200% heavier), but ultimately decided it would be more complicated than keeping it in line with the Juicer Football knockdowns/only well-described knockdown I found. Still, I wanted to include the numbers here in case there was a desire to increase the knockdown chance.

Immune to High Speed Kinetic Attacks
Problem: Mentions that professional pitchers can't throw fast enough to trigger this immunity, but ignores Super-Strength throws.
Solution: Clarify that objects thrown by characters with Enhanced Strength deal no damage.

Ideally, I’d combine Immune to high-speed Kinetic Attacks and Immune to Melee Attacks into one power where you take half damage. Or make it a Major Power with the full immunity to both. I mean, it's all kinetic force. But I doubt there's any appetite for this.

Knock Back Attack
Problem: High consistent damage output from a character with this power reduces a target's actions by 2 per successful attack, creating an automatic death spiral (ignoring auto-dodge). Imagine John with this power at full height, his damage even in an MDC environment would ALWAYS be enough to remove two actions from the victim per hit.
Solution: Reduce the lost actions to 1 lost action from being knocked down rather than 2. Which is also more in line with other "make them prone" powers/effects.

Line Transit
Problem: The duration limitation makes this a bit confusing – what happens if it runs out and you’re still in the phone line? If you're not at your destination, do you, what, jump out of a streetlamp and then back in to keep traveling? It's similar to the issue with having a travel capability like APS Light's fast-flight with a duration instead of a speed or range, but worse.
Solution: Just drop the duration as per the Nightbane Talent (Lightning Rider) that this was clearly ripped off from.

Pixie Dust
General Comments: Normally I’d say it needs to have the vs. Magic bonus added, but in this instance it’s so limited in effect/uses AND requires a to-hit, that I’m ambivalent.

Shadow Cloak
Problem: Why does this apply an initiative and perception penalty to attackers? Those are ‘universal’ values, not based on whether you can see the exact details of your target…
Solution: Shadow Cloak doesn't inflict an Initiative penalty and the Perception penalty only applies to attempts to see details of the cloaked character.

Shadow Trap
Problem: Another devastating, unstoppable power pretending to be a Minor. There is no save to avoid the effect. In addition to damage, it costs two actions to remove 1d4+1 actions automatically from the victim. You can retrigger a trap until its duration runs out (minutes). It's not clear if you can just stack traps on top of each other? Right next to each other? A moving chain of 3-4 of these traps would be a slow, automatic death for 90% of targets (anyone not immune to energy).
Solution: Shadow Traps cannot be placed in such a way that they stack or overlap, but can be right next to each other. Shadow traps automatically deal damage as described in the power, but upon entry/re-entry to a trap, the victim can make a Save vs. Psionics to resist the action-loss/disorientation effect (OR, the disorientation effect is reduced to a single lost action, but there is no save as in the power as written). Any individual trap is only reactivated by a single target if that target leaves the area of the trap and re-enters, or remains in the trap area for a full melee round after suffering its effects the first time.

Space Native
Problem: Why is Cold Magic special/deals half damage when otherwise immune to cold?
Solution: The character is also immune to magical cold attacks.

Sticky Globs
Problem: Seems excessive at 5 minutes duration? There’s a villain named STICKY PETE?!?
Solution: Enh, I'd probably reduce it to 1 minute duration but, I'm not, like, married to it. I'm definitely not married to Sticky Pete.
Last edited by John Altfeld on Fri May 25, 2018 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Definitely Not a God. Yet.
P.P.E.: 16/16
H.P./M.D.C.: 62/62
Pebble M.D.C.: 300/300
Growth M.D.C.: +15/+150/+525/+1,230/15/150/510/1,230

Important Combat Stats
Number of Attacks: 7
Initiative Bonus: +8
Strike Bonus: +8 (+8/+8/+10/+10)
Parry Bonus: +13 (+13/+13/+15/+15)
Dodge Bonus: +16/+20 (+16/+16/+12/+12)/(+20/+20/+16/+16)
Auto-Dodge Bonus: +4 (+4/+4/+0/+0)
Bonus to Disarm: +2
Called Shots: +4
Supernatural Strength Punch Damage: 3d6(5d6)+8/5d6(6d6)+8/1d6x10+18(+28)/1d6x10+58(+68)
Juicer Football Body Block/Tackle: Knocks one's opponent to the ground (90% chance if target is smaller than attacker, 60% if the same weight, 50% if target is up to 50% larger, 20% if 100% larger, no chance if target is over 100% larger).
Immunities and Damage Reduction
Immune to:
• Cold
• Radiation
• Suffocation (can breathe without air)
• Depressurization
• Ocean depths/pressure (unlimited)
• Vampire bite/can't be turned undead
• Blindness and Darkness (except in smoke/sandstorm/fog that fouls Radar power)
• Fatigue (Never tires)
• Small bits of flying debris

Reduced Damage From:
• Magic Cold - Half Damage
• Heat/Fire - Half Damage
• Poison/Toxins/Drugs - Duration, penalties and symptoms are 1/3 normal
Enhanced Sight Effects
• Radar 400"
• See the invisible
• Nightvision 600'
• Recognize enchantment (63%)
John Altfeld
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby John Altfeld » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 am

PU3 Majors

Complete and final entry of power fixes.

Hilariously, this book starts doing what I fixed all over PU1 – adding ME/PE bonuses to power saves and taking into account weight/mass/size for most powers.

Aerodynamics
Problem: What happens when a flying creature’s speed is reduced by 100%? How does this affect Wingless Flight? Magic Flight?
Solution: When most flying targets speed is reduced by 100% they crash, use the falling rules, rather than crash rules because speed is now 0, other than gravity. Those with physics immune flight (Wingless, Magic flight, etc.) are halted in place, but do not fall or crash, they can only slowly lower themselves to the ground.

APS Air
Problems: Taking damage from being exploded is inconsistent with established norms about explosions and Aggregate/Liquid/Gas forms. Tornado form is inconsistent with other APS Air powers.
Solution: Explosions cause no damage to a character in Air form. Tornado form can’t pick up/disorient targets weighing more than 500 lbs (same as for the throwing attack in the next sub-power.

APS Ash
Problem: This is, for some ungodly reason, the only light-matter/gas APS that has a chance of being blown apart by a wind.
Solution: Unlike rules as written, Ash form characters are not at risk of being blown apart by a stray breeze.

APS Foam
Problem: Taking damage from being exploded is inconsistent with established norms about explosions and Aggregate/Liquid/Gas forms.
Solution: Explosions cause no damage to a character in Foam form.

APS Glass
Problem: Two insane statements in the power - 1. "The character is resistant to cold and heat-based attacks,including magical cold or heat, taking only half damage
from these attacks, but fire, lava, plasma and similar attacks do full damage." And 2. WTF does this mean? "Nor any power that is contrary to his glass nature"
Solution: Fire, lava, plasma and similar also do half damage (how can you call those not 'heat' damage?). Delete the entire section of limitations based on the 'glass nature' of the character. It's the only time this kind of bizarre power combination limitation comes up in the whole game and it's neither well-explained nor does it make any damn sense.

APS Gel/Goo
Problem: Slippery Gel body block should be switched to Juicer Football equivalent with some power/speed bonuses.
Solution: Sliding Body Block/Ram replacement knockdown percentages - 90% chance if target is smaller than attacker, 60% if the same weight, 50% if target is up to 50% heavier, 20% if 100% heavier, 0% if target is over 100% heavier. +2% for every 20 MPH

APS Magnet
Problems: Magic electricity does half damage. Subpower 5, Sense Iron, would be useless in most instances for below-ground objects. Nobody is burying stuff 1 foot down. It’s especially ridiculous if applied to ores.
Solution: Either all electricity does no damage (not half damage for magic), or remove this nonsensical immunity (magnets don't stop electricity). Sense Iron has a range of 25 feet per level.

APS Mercury
Problem: Taking damage from being exploded is inconsistent with established norms about explosions and Aggregate/Liquid/Gas forms.
Solution: Explosions cause no damage to a character in Mercury form.

APS Pebbles
Problem: Again has a flat Knockdown percentage for Rolling Rocks power – should be like Juicer Football
Solution: Rolling Rocks Knockdown becomes - 90% chance if target is smaller than attacker, 60% if the same weight, 50% if target is up to 50% heavier, 20% if 100% heavier, 0% if target is over 100% heavier. +2% for every 20 MPH

APS Plastic
Problem/Solution: Notes both +320 SDC and then says when all 300 are gone. I THINK they meant it to be 300 bonus SDC, but probably it’s easier to just say that it’s 320 categorically.

APS Rag Doll
Sort of Solution: I know I’ve been removing the damage from explosions for most aggregate forms, but I think in this case keeping it makes sense, but it's inconsistent and confusing, so probably should reduce to 0 for explosions.

APS Void
Problem: They failed to fix the Depressurization subpower, making it a flat save with no bonuses (which is out of line both with what we've been doing for the site and what they do consistently throughout PU3).
Solution: Would add PE bonus to resist Depressurization

Animate Objects
Problem: This is WAY underpowered. It doesn’t actually add a benefit to work through most objects, doesn’t add attacks (why not just, you know use a weapon instead), and generally deals less damage than a punch/melee attack while having a PP of 10 (no bonuses from any character abilities). Primary benefit seems to be the ability to use it at short range, so minor stealth bonus
Solution: Recommend making it a Minor. Could potentially change to use the character’s PP and add PS bonus of some kind, if the determination is to keep this a Major power - let me know and I can come up with something.

Dismantle Machines
Problem: Another power that should be a Minor, unless we figure out a way to goose it substantially. As-is, other than a potential stealth capability, it’s substantially less useful than just blasting/punching a machine.
Solution: It's a Minor power.

Missing Pages 60/61 - could use these, not sure if I missed something.

Illusions
Problem/Solution: Minor issue - Illusionary Duplicates sub-power should reduce onlookers’ Initiative by -2 rather than +2 to the superbeing’s initiative as it's a malus being inflicted on onlookers, not a bonus on the superbeing.

Immobilization Ray
Problem: It’s a one-shot defeat, including being slow-roasted after.
Solution: Should likely have an ME save, target number 16.

Indestructible
Problem: Here’s another great candidate for a minor power. This is just terrible as written. Also, you can’t make clothes indestructible, but what about cardboard box armor or tin foil armor? We know you can make boxes indestructible, since it’s right there in the power description.
Solution: Make the power, as written, a Minor and either; 1. Ignore the fact that you can make indestructible armor from cardboard, or 2. Allow the character to make Indestructible Armor AR 12 (as a Minor power) AR 16 if the goal is to rehabilitate to a Major power.

Inhabitation
Problem: The 'no alien machines' limitation is unfun, confusing, and substantially weakens the power for no reason. What counts as ‘alien?’ You’re in a setting where you could be an Atorian on Earth, can you control nothing? What about advanced Human technology from Rifts in HU? Only stuff from your species? Your species and dimension? I mean, this is ridiculous and SUPER limiting.
Solution: Remove the ‘can’t control alien technology’ limitation.

Junkyard
Problem: Are you limited to ONE animated trash-man, or can you just keep making them?
Solutions: The character with Junkyard can create as many temporary trash men as they have actions and material for, though none can exceed the maximum distance from the empowered character.

Life Leech
Problem: Can steal psionic powers, but it doesn’t explain if you have ISP or can just use them for free for the duration.
Solution: Pick one! 1. The Life Leech duplicates the target's current ISP when stealing the ability to perform psionic powers OR 2. For the duration of the Life Leech, the character can use stolen psi-powers without worrying about ISP expenditure.

Matter Expulsion Overarching Problem
Problem: In PU1 when they introduced Matter Expulsion, they insisted on specifying that once armor was put up on the super, they could parry weapons with their 'bare' hands. This got left out here and for Crystal in the first list of ME powers.
Solution: Recommend stating that all Matter Expulsion powers let the super parry weapons with their 'bare' hands when in MATTER Armor.

Matter Expulsion: Bone
Problem: Can parry weapons? See above.

Matter Expulsion Plastic
Problems: Can parry weapons? See above. This power needs some kind of defense against the encase subpower, otherwise it's an insto-kill. (The two major ongoing issues with ME powers)
Encasement Solution: EITHER require it to be by touch, so allows a parry, OR keep the range as-is and allow a dodge, since the attacker is actually spewing out matter.

Matter Expulsion Wood
Problem: Can parry weapons? See above.

Mega-Tail
Problem: Subpower Hammer Tail has a flat knockdown capability ignoring damage done, size, etc.
Solution: This is pretty similar in concept to Knock Back Attack Minor Power from the same book, So I'd recommend using that damage-to-knockdown listing, with the further modification that it's 1 lost action from being knocked down rather than 2 (for the reasons enumerated in the Knock Back Attack fix).

Metal Manipulation
Problem: Doesn't take into account the existence of MDC materials.
Solution: Potentially add a subpower/clarification allowing the character to turn SDC metal into MDC as the Mystic Kuznya.

Orbital Spheres
Problem: Pretty low-powered for a Major, can be countered with any low-damage area attack.
Solution: Fixed by either making it a Minor or increasing sphere SDC to, say, 1d6X10+1 per level.

Pause Time
AHAHAHA! Eat that, Clock Manipulation.

Pestilence
Problem: Flu-Like Illness power probably isn’t meant to do 2d6+120
Solution: This was likely meant to be either 2d6 or 2d6+12, I'd stick with 2d6.

Petrification
Problem: Another save or die power. It's not imbalanced compared to, say, the Agony spell, so I'm just registering my disapproval of the frequency of this kind of effect.

Prodigious Limbs
Problem: Although the limbs already get Hold bonuses, there's also a weird set of percentages to Hold/Entangle listed. Ignores the fact that "Full Body Hold" is a choice with no penalties in RAW.
Solution: An enlarged foot can be used to perform a hold/grapple maneuver at +5, including a full-body hold attack as otherwise described in the Prodigious Feet and Legs subpower. And enlarged hand can be used to pin both arms, just as if doing a Full Body Hold, but only takes one of the Prodigious Limb possessor's hands out of play.

Rainmaker
Problem: This isn't really a Major power and I’m pretty sure the rain doesn’t make cell phones and radios stop working…
Solution: Remove the cellphone/radio penalties from the power. Either make it a Minor as written or add a lightning attack equal to Energy Expulsion Electricity.

Rocket Charge
Problems: Miscategorizes plasma outside of ‘heat damage’ which it’s considered everywhere else in Palladium, character takes full damage from magical fire, another instance of special knockdown percentage combined with 2 lost actions for being knocked down (making it incredibly easy to immobilize a target).
Solution: Plasma and magical fire also deal half damage (they’re heat). Rocket Charge attack only removes 1 actions from a knocked-down target. Knockdown percentage remains the same (due to the fact that Rocket Charge occurs at Mach 2!).

Self-Explosion
No suggested changes, but I want to complain about their differentiation between shrapnel and any other similar attack, like a bullet. How are they different?!?

Shadow Manipulation
Problem: Shadow Wrap subpower has a 16 save with no bonuses. It’s less terrible than normal insta-kills, but still needs to bhave a save bonus. Worse, it’s ‘+4 to strike’ but doesn’t imply anywhere else in the description that it can be dodged or parried, so… how does this work? Is it a Strike roll, implying a parry/dodge, or is it a Save-only power?
Solution: PICK ONE – 1. Shadow Wrap requires a strike roll on the part of the character with Shadow Manipulation, allowing ONLY a dodge/auto-dodge by the target, not a parry. OR 2. PE bonus is applied to the save roll against a successful Shadow Wrap strike.

Sub-Zero
Problem/Solution 1: Ice Slide body-block speed bonus should be the standard +4 damage per 20 MPH.
Problem/Solution 2: The magic fire vs. regular fire damage diferentiator is weird and a little confusing. Decide whether all fire does half damage or it all does double damage.

Swallowing Limbo
Problem: Why is there no save for this?
Solution: Those affected by Swallowing Limbo receive a save, Target Number 16, with ME bonuses applied to the roll.

Techno-Form
Problem: It’s pretty evil to make a character burn HP to make attacks from a core power.
Solution: Either eliminate the HP cost for Techno-Form attacks or, at the very least, reduce them all to 1 HP per attack.
Last edited by John Altfeld on Fri May 25, 2018 6:31 am, edited 15 times in total.

Important Combat Stats
Supernatural Strength Punch Damage: 3d6(5d6)+8/5d6(6d6)+8/1d6x10+18(+28)/1d6x10+58(+68)
Juicer Football Body Block/Tackle: Knocks one's opponent to the ground (90% chance if target is smaller than attacker, 60% if the same weight, 50% if target is up to 50% larger, 20% if 100% larger, no chance if target is over 100% larger).
Immune to:
• Cold
• Radiation
• Depressurization
• Fatigue (Never tires)

Reduced Damage From:
Enhanced Sight Effects
• Radar 400"
• See the invisible
• Nightvision 600'
John Altfeld
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Divine » Sat May 05, 2018 7:27 am

Bringing something to the discussion because it will affect my character; enlightened self-interest!

Solar Powered, PU1, pg 41. Point 6:

Increase the range of most Energy Expulsion powers by 20% during the daytime, but increase the range and damage by 50% if a power is Light or Laser-based.

Should this be reworded so it's not specifically referencing the Energy Expulsion power sets, rather than powers that do energy damage, or is it intended to work with only those sets? Logic dictates the former, but it's another example of unclear editing. :lol:
Daytime
Form: Normal

Divine
Divine

Postby John Altfeld » Sun May 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Reposting content that was deleted during the Great Knockdown Attack Postwipe, some of this may differ from original suggestions/will not reference the now-solved Knockdown issue.

PU2 Complete Powers

Directed Force
Problem: Relatively minor clarification issue - most of the subpowers state the SN PS level that Directed Force applies, but it's missing for Pushing/Ramming People.
Solution: This effect is SN PS 30 as per the Holding subpowers.

Super Power Punch
Problem: This power, as written, is a Minor power. All it does is let you blow your entire melee attack load for a round on a single action, making it more likely you'll do NO damage (easier to miss on a single roll than on 8 rolls), and tanking your defensive ability.
Solution: EITHER Make this a Minor power, OR Super Power Punch gains +2 to Strike and ignore AR of the target.

Other Items

Currently Unmarked Attacks that Should Affect Intangible Characters at Half Damage
Energy, Sound, Shadow

Typo Issues in EU Power Fixes
Whirlpool wasn’t meant to have an unlimited duration under Control Water, it was supposed to be Water Walk with unlimited duration, unlimited whirlpool is crazy overpowered.
Last edited by John Altfeld on Fri May 25, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Important Combat Stats
Immune to:
• Cold
• Radiation
• Depressurization
• Fatigue (Never tires)

Reduced Damage From:
Enhanced Sight Effects
• Radar 400"
• See the invisible
• Nightvision 600'
John Altfeld
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby John Altfeld » Thu May 24, 2018 8:18 pm

PU1 Major Powers Revisions Repost

As with above, here's an updated/modified PU1 Major Powers revisions repost in the wake of the Great Knockdown Attack Post Removal.

APS Light
Problem: Laser Flight is super-confusing. It has a range, a maximum altitude, and a speed.
Solution: Remove the maximum altitude, clarify that a character can fly in 1 mile increments at maximum speed up to their maximum range per action. This type of flight isn’t effective for short-range, use the slower speed that is available even in human form.

APS Vapor/Fog
Problem: Takes 5% damage from explosions and strong winds, inconsistent with other aggregate/liquid/gas APS forms.
Solution: Takes no damage from explosions and strong winds. Other aspects of the partial intangibility subpower remain the same.

Dimensional Room
Problem: How big does this flat, vertical surface need to be? How flat? How vertical? Why the limitation of even requiring a surface?
Solution: EITHER 1. Remove the requirement that it be a flat, vertical surface (so that it could, for example, be put on the ground), 2. Make it ‘any vertical surface big enough to hold the door (so you can do it on, say, a tree), OR 3. Make it so the door always appear vertically, but can be opened without a physical surface.

Energy Doppelganger
Problem: Energy Travel sub-power has a maximum distance of 1 mile per level of experience at a speed of 600 MPH. Energy Doppelganger has a maximum distance from the creator of 3 miles. Why does the travel effect have both a maximum distance and a speed, is it meant to be 1 mile per action at 600 MPH? It’s a similar problem to APS Light Flight.
Solution: Remove the maximum distance from this subpower – the doppelganger is already limited in how far it can get from its creator.

Friction Control
Problem: This is incredibly underwhelming as a Major Power. It provides marginal bonuses/penalties to speed and projectile weapon range until level 8 or so, at which point it’s still not very good.
Solution: It’s a Minor Power. Alternatively, I can come up with some different bonuses, but that would be a whole-cloth rewrite.

Matter Expulsion Overarching Problems
Parry Problem: In PU1 when they introduced Matter Expulsion, they insisted on specifying that once armor was put up on the super, they could parry weapons with their 'bare' hands. This got left out for Crystal in the first list of ME powers and for all subsequent ME powers.
Parry Solution: Recommend stating that all Matter Expulsion powers let the super parry weapons with their 'bare' hands when in MATTER Armor.
Encase Problem: This power needs some kind of defense against the encase subpower, otherwise it's an insta-kill.
Encase Solution: EITHER require it to be by touch, so allows a parry, OR keep the range as-is and allow a dodge, since the attacker is actually spewing out matter.

Matter Expulsion: Crystal
Parry and Encase Issues Discussed Above.

Matter Expulsion: Metal
Encase Issue Discussed Above.

Matter Expulsion: Stone
Encase Issues Discussed Above.

Re-Channel and Expel Energy
Problem: The limitation about not shooting yourself is dumb, inconsistent, and invites other abuse. Even as written, the power would require you to spend two actions to shoot yourself and then rechannel the attack, meaning it’s not a crazy-high amount of damage. And what if your buddy shoots you instead? That’s kosher as written, but you can’t do it yourself? Come on.
Solution: Remove the limitation about not being able to shoot yourself.

Reconstruction
Problem: As written, this power is barely equivalent to just knowing how to fix machines yourself. Yes, it’s faster, but how often are you going to need to quickly repair a bicycle, and then the machine falls apart as soon as you walk away, meaning you have to keep fixing it. On top of that, they say you can’t fix ALIEN machines, which further shoots the power in the foot and brings up the whole “What counts as alien” debate in terms of non-humans and other-dimensional humans, etc.
Solution: Remove the limitation about the power not working on alien machines OR it’s a Minor Power, but I think the first suggestion is better.

Rocket Fists
Problem: Minor issue, it’s missing the explanation of “See Like a Hawk.”
Solution: Extraordinary vision ten times greater than a normal human’s which means a two-foot object can be seen with perfect clarity two miles away.

Spiral/Vortex
Whirlpool Problem: Same issue as with the one we fixed under Control Elemental Force Water.
Whirlpool Solution: Characters with enhanced strength, increased swimming speed, the ability to walk on water, or similar powers have a chance to escape the whirlpool. Extraordinary/Augmented Strength characters and those with increased swimming speeds have a 33% chance per melee round of escaping, those with Superhuman/Robotic Strength or the ability to walk on water have a 66% chance per melee round of escaping, in both cases roll once per round. Those with Supernatural Strength will escape the whirlpool after one melee round.
Tornado Problem: Ignores the possibility for increased weight/mass of a target.
Tornado Solution: Targets weighing more than 1,000 pounds are immune to being picked up by the Tornado subpower. (OR 5,000 pounds if you think 1,000 pounds is too little)

Weapon Energy Extensions
Problem: This power is so weak, even KS has a note in the description trying to explain why it’s a Major power. It’s not – there are no rules for reach, and it doesn’t matter how many weapons you can create, you can only ever use two at a time under the core rules.
Solution: It’s a Minor power.

Important Combat Stats
Immune to:
• Cold
• Radiation
• Depressurization
• Fatigue (Never tires)

Reduced Damage From:
Enhanced Sight Effects
• Radar 400"
• See the invisible
• Nightvision 600'
John Altfeld