Distant Dimensions: An Inquiry

Fan art, fiction, OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.

Moderator: Augur

Distant Dimensions: An Inquiry

Postby Tyrannosapiens Rex » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:32 am

Does anyone else want to play different systems with the same EU crowd?

I kinda wanna run a game, but am constantly remnded how FUBARed Palladium's system is. Also, not so keen on my current favorite tabletop game in a play by post setting.

Once upon a time we had GURPS, Battletech, Shadowrun, D&D, and other offerings tied to this same site on a seperate forum called Distant Dimensions, back when everything but rifts was on another forum called Otherworld.

That's the explaination for the newcomers.

The question is- would you like to see different games with the same familiar players?

I for one would.

I'd even be willing to commit to returning to running Battletech and functioning as administrator, but someone else would have to run GURPS so i could play in that. Otherwise I'll run the GURPS and administrate.

If there is enough support, I'll submit an official proposal for Augur's consideration.
Of all the things encountered in the Megaverse, the most vile and evil are not the demons, or Alien Intelligences. No, even the Old Ones pale in vileness to the Human Tyrant King. For, only he treats his own kind, every day of his life, with the kind of careless attitude the Old Ones treated the so-called lesser races.
Tyrannosapiens Rex
Game Master

Re: Distant Dimensions: An Inquiry

Postby CS High Command » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:33 pm

I am in no way expressing any yay or nay on this, but I let the savages know. Dash, you might want to create a username on that side so you can express the sentiment there. Much like we keep to Palladium here, VV is of the opinion that he needs to keep it SW over there (with Savage Rifts being the primary). There have been rumblings of other systems, however. So there might be appetite if you include both sites. The drive of our core players over there is EXTREMELY impressive. And so may of that core are Savage only because they can't stand Palladium rules. But once you branch out from there, you'll find other thoughts emerging.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)
"Yippee-ki-yay magic lovers." Lt. John Freeman, CS110 at the Sorocco Skirmish of May 110PA

(Many thanks to SNAFU for the basis of my new AVATAR!)
CS High Command
Game Master

Postby Augur » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Given sufficient demand, I'm fine with creating a new domain & forum for other games.

Distant Dimensions didn't pan out because there was insufficient demand & interest over time.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Augur
Admin

Postby Pendragon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:01 pm

I would love to get back into some of the other books I own that are just sitting on the shelves just collecting dust except for the occasional read. If someone runs a GURPS 3rd Ed or D&D 3.5, I'd be willing to join.
Pendragon

Postby Ndreare - Rob Towell » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:46 pm

The are lots of great systems and settings.

It would be awesome to play Monster of the Week or Fate for a Quarter or two.

Hero System, GURPS, and others can last long term and really drive interest.
Ndreare - Rob Towell
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:27 am

I just had an idea.

## milestone: open new domain for other games
## milestone: open new forum for game X?
## milestone: open new forum for game Y?
Etc.
Augur
Admin

Postby Dark Lord » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:28 am

That doesn't do a whole lot for patrons uninterested in other games. Plus a new DD should be open to non-patrons.
Why kill a PC when you can torture them?
ImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Postby Tyrannosapiens Rex » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 am

I agree with DL's assessment.

A site dedicated to everything else under the sun that isn't Palladium or Savage Worlds would be my goal. Maybe if a game gets big, spin it off.

It would be a great recruitment tool as well- D&D gets searched 5x more often then Savage Worlds and 20x more often than Rifts.
GURPS has a very active forum at sjg- more active than the Palladium Forums since the kickstarter failing.
Of all the things encountered in the Megaverse, the most vile and evil are not the demons, or Alien Intelligences. No, even the Old Ones pale in vileness to the Human Tyrant King. For, only he treats his own kind, every day of his life, with the kind of careless attitude the Old Ones treated the so-called lesser races.
Tyrannosapiens Rex
Game Master

Postby Augur » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:01 pm

That doesn't do a whole lot for patrons uninterested in other games. Granted, this would be in addition to some other, additional reward whose only additional cost would be in management. 80 would be a good starting milestone as it's the next milestone chosen and already has additional benefits already planned.

And
"## milestone: open new domain for other games" =/= "## milestone: open new domain for other games for patrons only"
Augur
Admin

Postby Wi-Fi » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:36 am

I agree with DL's assessment.

A site dedicated to everything else under the sun that isn't Palladium or Savage Worlds would be my goal. Maybe if a game gets big, spin it off.

It would be a great recruitment tool as well- D&D gets searched 5x more often then Savage Worlds and 20x more often than Rifts.
GURPS has a very active forum at sjg- more active than the Palladium Forums since the kickstarter failing.

Plus classics no longer active. FASERIP was mentioned in the omega group and is quite simple.

That said could other games be used in the roll 20 and on discord as well? It would be easy enough to make channel there as well.
Wi-Fi's character sheet
OOC Comments
Bonuses in green apply only when force aura is active.
PPE: 15
ISP: 130/140
HP: 30 (34 with aura)
SDC: 47 (260)

Swarm status: 5 (all healthy)
SDC: 50/50/50/50/50

TRS-13
SDC: 50
AR: 6

Shock Gloves:
• Range: Melee
• Damage: None. This gloves discharge an energy charge that short circuits the nervous system. Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry and dodge for 2d4 melee rounds.
A successful saving throw means the person has successfully fought off the effect and is unimpaired. Roll to save against each strike. Saving throw versus toxins.
• Rate of Fire: Single shots only, five shots total per melee
• Payload: 10/10 shots per charge (no clip)
Wi-Fi

Postby Vortigern » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Interested.
Vortigern
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Tyrannosapiens Rex » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:18 am

I'm also a sucker for Alternity. And even badly thought out net games like Thrash 1.0-1.8.

Hell, I'm a sucker for Palladium or I wouldn't play it but there is a lot of love-hate there.

I see enough people interested to form at least one player group, so let's see if we can agree on a system.

I'm game for playing or running:
D&D 3.5
GURPS
Battletech: A Time of War
Alternity
Thrash
Shadowrun, 3rd edition
Testing my own homebrew systems

I'm game for trying:
Almost anything, but not that weird game with all the vagina motif art. That one was a little too odd.
Tyrannosapiens Rex
Game Master

Postby Tyrannosapiens Rex » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:26 am

Augur wrote:I just had an idea.

## milestone: open new domain for other games
## milestone: open new forum for game X?
## milestone: open new forum for game Y?
Etc.

To turn this idea on it's head.....

## Milestone: Augur has to add game X to his list of options when his roll20 games come up for vote.
Repeat...

That way we can drag you out of the dungeon of despair that is palladium rules, kicking and screaming if necessary. :lol:
Tyrannosapiens Rex
Game Master

Postby Augur » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:48 am

I already intend to run a Savage Rifts game (option) once I've been brought up to speed.
Augur
Admin

Return to Out of Character Topics