Jumping conversation

Fan art, fiction, OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.

Moderator: Augur

Jumping conversation

Postby Ruslan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:24 pm

(Posted this to Augur's corner office as well)

From the unified rules:
Jumping Rules

Normal, human-type beings:
    • 1 foot of length per 2 P.S. points
    • 1 foot of height per 4 P.S. points
    Augmented/Robotic Strength:
    • 1 foot of length per P.S. point
    • 1 foot of height per 2 P.S. points
    Characters with both augmented/extraordinary strength and speed, or with SN strength:
    • 1.5 feet of length per P.S. point
    • 3 foot of height per 4 P.S. points
  • Decrease jumping distance to 40% of the above if character does not take a running start.
  • Characters that have acrobatics and/or gymnastics skills can add 2 feet per level to the length and .5 feet per level to the height.

Note: Speed stat = Feet per second (basically); Spd 14 is roughly 10mph and Spd 381 is roughly 260mph

I just went through a bunch of math after discussing speed and jumping. Basically, not involving speed in the length (max distance) of a jump is going to be wildly off.

A character that can move at 260 mph and a SN PS of 49 can only jump a distance of 75' per the above. However, crunching the numbers (and accounting for both gravity & drag), we come up with a jump distance of 572' at 260 mph.

For the length of a jump I suggest using speed. At 40 (spd 60) & 260mph (spd 381) if we multiply the speed stat by 1.5, the result is 95%+ accurate. There's a curve between those two figures which deviates by as much as 27% at around 100mph (spd 146), but that's still pretty damned good for being so simple.

At less than 40mph it could be:
Spd 1-15: 50% stat
Up to 30: 75%
Up to 44: 125%
45+: 150%

That's pretty close without making a whole big chart for just one thing. OR, they could just all be 1.5x because it's a game and would still likely be more accurate.

To reiterate, I'm talking about MAX distance for a jump from a full-speed run. That could take multiple actions to achieve such a speed.

Extraordinary to SN strength could add another multiplier to length of jumping perhaps... but this would be monumentally more accurate (for max distance). PS would factor in jump height and a jump from standing still (or a bonus to the low end of distance).
Attachments
eu jump.png
Last edited by Ruslan on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruslan
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Re: Jumping... proposed change?

Postby Major James Smith » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:53 am

Proposals belong in Augur's Corner Office...

"All admin-related content and proposals are managed here. Proposals must include "Proposal:" in the subject line of the new thread to even be considered."

Welcome to EU :lol:
Major James Smith
Assistant Game Master

Re: Jumping... proposed change?

Postby Ruslan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Ah... In EU chat I believe someone said to drop it in OOC chat so it could be discussed.

Thanks for the correction though. :D
Ruslan
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Re: Jumping conversation

Postby Dark Lord » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:27 pm

You can't assume that humans have the same drag coefficient (b) as bullets.
This paper suggests that it's closer to 1.1 or 1.2, not the 0.01 you use in your spreadsheet as the basis for these calculations (though I freely admit my research on the subject has not been exhaustive).
Why kill a PC when you can torture them?
ImageImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Re: Jumping conversation

Postby Ruslan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:56 pm

I went through multiple different iterations of trying to find a solution during the convo in EU chat on hangouts, including a couple which did account for drag specifically for a human. From that I came to the conclusion that no matter how it were handled the results would be significantly more than what it is now (in this particular instance especially).

I would challenge anyone to use the actual drag as stated in that paper (for a standing human) travelling at 260mph with a launch angle of 45 degrees and a mass of 480 lbs. Then see how that compares with the present system (given a supernatural PS of 45). You could also use 130mph & 2400lbs (SN PS 68). Again, these are all regarding a specific case, but the point remains that those numbers in the unified system are quite a bit off (regarding max jump distance) insofar as they're based off strength alone rather than speed.
Ruslan
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Return to Out of Character Topics