MercTown Gymnasium (29)

Government and Business District.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

MercTown Gymnasium (29)

Postby Augur » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:59 am

Men of arms and adventurers need to keep in shape, especially when between jobs, and for that there is the MercTown Gymnasium. The large, three story facility offers a large variety of exercise equipment, weight training facilities, aerobic exercise, walking track, three handball courts, a ping-pong room, boxing training, a regulation boxing ring for sparring matches, fencing room, an Olympic-
sized swimming pool and showers. There is also a shop inside the gym where one can purchase weights, workout clothing, running shoes, water bottles, Vitamins, Juicer chemical cartridges, and exercise gear.

Not only is the gym a place to get a workout, but it is also a place where mercenaries and men at arms can meet, chat, exercise, engage in friendly (sober) competitions and test each other's skills. As a gathering place, one can pick up on the latest rumors, get leads on jobs, hear about special offers on weapons, vehicles and equipment, as well as word on bounty hunters in town, new bounties, happening nightspots and parties.
"The older I get the closer Lloyd comes to making sense." ~Uncle Servo
"Well, you have been Lloyd-pilled for years." ~ Bahb Silunt
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Augur
Admin

Re: MercTown Gymnasium (29)

Postby Erg » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:00 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 3(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 5 , 1d100 = 92

Arriving at the Gymnasium .. Erg looks around for information of swimming lesson (ideally in an indoor pool that is well maintained)... Erg doesn't care if it is private lessons or a group of local children learning... but he does intend to learn in just a few days or so.

- - - - - - -
OOC:
This is just for the RPing for the basic swimming secondary skill Erg recently learned when he leveled up .. Besides Erg has a bit of down time anyway until his 'team' starts there mission.
Erg Flux
Status
HP(34) .. SDC(20) .. ISP(58) .. PPE(144/144) .. Sustain Sleep2Hr/day no eat,drink,breath (7d)
•On Person Gear, Utility Belt, Miniature PPE(180) Battery Regen10/hr , Updraft TW Shoes 8PPE 30m 50Spd
•(VS)VehicleStopper 300ft 6d6MD+KnockBack Amo1 (1reload take 4 actions)
•MiserShard 2d6MDC/SDC , Wielder heals damage dealt PFWE-p.156 , Damage Doesn't Heal Normally PFWE-p.156
•MDC Executive Business Suit Coat MDC 8 Mods: Naruni Forcefield 160MDC 12hrs regen4/min , TW Energy Conversion Field 10PPE 14min
•MDC Executive Slacks MDC 3 Dimensional Pockets : FR 41 norm VS Rounds , FL VS itself & 10 TW enhanced VS Rounds additional 9ft radius +7d4 fireball
•WingBoard Crescent 5PPE 60MPH (120leyline) VTOL 160MDC Bonuses: +2Int, +3d , +1s, +20% Piloting Skill Checks
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:54 pm

When Erg walks into the Gym, he doesn't immediately spot any information though a fellow who is either a body-builder or a worker at the gym notices him and approaches him.

"First time to the Gym?" He'll state regarding Erg's size and demeanor
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 2(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 18 , 1d100 = 69

Major Arcana wrote:When Erg walks into the Gym, he doesn't immediately spot any information though a fellow who is either a body-builder or a worker at the gym notices him and approaches him.

"First time to the Gym?" He'll state regarding Erg's size and demeanor

Erg nods and gives a casual friendly smile.
"Hello , yes it is. I was hoping you had an indoor swimming pool. I'm looking to immediately take lessons and learn how to swim."
Erg Flux
Status
HP(34) .. SDC(20) .. ISP(58) .. PPE(144/144) .. Sustain Sleep2Hr/day no eat,drink,breath (7d)
•On Person Gear, Utility Belt, Miniature PPE(180) Battery Regen10/hr , Updraft TW Shoes 8PPE 30m 50Spd
•MiserShard 2d6MDC/SDC , Wielder heals damage dealt PFWE-p.156 , Damage Doesn't Heal Normally PFWE-p.156
•MDC Executive Business Suit Coat MDC 8 Mods: Naruni Forcefield 160MDC 12hrs regen4/min , TW Energy Conversion Field 10PPE 14min
•MDC Executive Slacks MDC 3 Dimensional Pockets : FR 41 norm VS Rounds , FL VS itself & 10 TW enhanced VS Rounds additional 9ft radius +7d4 fireball
•WingBoard Crescent 5PPE 60MPH (120leyline) VTOL 160MDC Bonuses: +2Int, +3d , +1s, +20% Piloting Skill Checks
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:10 pm

Erg wrote:"Hello , yes it is. I was hoping you had an indoor swimming pool. I'm looking to immediately take lessons and learn how to swim."

Erg doesn't notice the aquatic looking humanoid that approaches to his left until he speaks, waving the greeter off.

"Then I am the one you need to talk too. My name is Jace - my classes are everyday and I do private lessons as needed. Do you have any skill in the art and do you have the funds to attend classes? Not expensive but regardless, questions I must ask."
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 20 (+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 4 , 1d100 = 79

Major Arcana wrote:Erg doesn't notice the aquatic looking humanoid that approaches to his left until he speaks, waving the greeter off.

Erg is initially startled, "Sorry , you surprised me."

Major Arcana wrote:"Then I am the one you need to talk too. My name is Jace - my classes are everyday and I do private lessons as needed. Do you have any skill in the art and do you have the funds to attend classes? Not expensive but regardless, questions I must ask."

"I have no skill at all , only a scientific text book understanding of the process. I am interested in private lessons, and would like to learn the basics in a day or two. How much do you charge?"
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Erg wrote:"I have no skill at all , only a scientific text book understanding of the process. I am interested in private lessons, and would like to learn the basics in a day or two. How much do you charge?"

"Basics are easy to understand, couple k per private lesson. When do you wish to start, and do you need swimming equipment?"
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 5(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 10 , 1d100 = 77

Major Arcana wrote:
Erg wrote:"I have no skill at all , only a scientific text book understanding of the process. I am interested in private lessons, and would like to learn the basics in a day or two. How much do you charge?"

"Basics are easy to understand, couple k per private lesson. When do you wish to start, and do you need swimming equipment?"

"That's good to hear. I'd like to start immediately please."
Erg gives a slightly confused look. :?

Images of a jet ski ... EBA .. submarines .. SCUBA gear .. etc... come to his mind as 'equipment'.

"Swimming equipment? With equipment I wouldn't need to know how to swim. I wanted to learn how to swim, just in case I didn't have equipment."
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:49 pm

((OOC: For pure comedic RP value - I presume Erg is wearing some sort of MDC armor and/or other proper attire for one of his design))

Erg wrote:"Swimming equipment? With equipment I wouldn't need to know how to swim. I wanted to learn how to swim, just in case I didn't have equipment."

The coach shakes his head, holding a faint smile back at the lack of streetwise understanding. "To keep it simple, you don't want to learn to swim in your current attire, I imagine. You can purchase swim trunks from the Gym, or... we have rentals." He states, pausing before adding "Unless you wish to learn in your current attire."
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:22 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 9 (+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 11 , 1d100 = 11

Major Arcana wrote:((OOC: For pure comedic RP value - I presume Erg is wearing some sort of MDC armor and/or other proper attire for one of his design))

OOC:
Pure RP value = Yup .. :mrgreen:
The lv-up skill doesn't require any of this .. but , why not enjoy the RPing anyway ?

Wearing MDC-Armor .. nope.
He left his MA-2 TW Armor back in his room. Armor is not as comfortable to wear 24/7 as more 'normal' clothes are ... Even in rift's , Most people can't / won't realistically always be walking around everywhere (and sleeping) , in MDC EBA ... Erg's in a town with a police force that is more than capable of handling even very powerful individuals glitterboys , dragons, etc ... and ... If he really needed it he could 'cast' Armor of Ithan spell for MDC protection.

Erg is just in the sheet described 'normal' clothes (like my Avatar) :
'Professional' comfortable basic suit with bow tie. Clean wrinkled button down shirt , pants , jacket , socks , comfortable hiking boots, Smile Face Boxers :)

- - - - - -

Major Arcana wrote:The coach shakes his head, holding a faint smile back at the lack of streetwise understanding. "To keep it simple, you don't want to learn to swim in your current attire, I imagine. You can purchase swim trunks from the Gym, or... we have rentals." He states, pausing before adding "Unless you wish to learn in your current attire."

Erg gives a confused look at the man's response.
Why wouldn't I want to learn to swim in my current attire? It isn't likely I will have the luxury to change in the field if I suddenly need to swim. I'm certainly not going to carry around another special swimming outfit to change into (just in case) I have to need to swim.

"Yes, I do want to learn to swim in my current attire. Maybe just putting pocket electronics aside is all. If a ship sinks , I might not have the luxury to go change into some special swimming outfit. I'll want to know how to swim in what I am most likely to be wearing. That would be attire like this."
Erg does a little spin around to show the instructor.
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:34 pm

((OOC: That little spin made me LoL.))
"Yes, I do want to learn to swim in my current attire. Maybe just putting pocket electronics aside is all. If a ship sinks , I might not have the luxury to go change into some special swimming outfit. I'll want to know how to swim in what I am most likely to be wearing. That would be attire like this."

The instructor coughs before nodding "As you wish, come this way." He will lead the man to 50m long pool (Olympic Sized), that is split. One side has four lanes and the other is a shallow to deep-end free space. He leads him to the shallow portion of the free space, you can see about half a dozen occupants, and you can make out someone at the bottom of the deep end who remains there through the duration of the conversation. "This is one of three pools we have, this size. This one is mine specifically, to start, please take all your electrical equipment and anything you do not wish wet and place it here." He points to an open locker.

If Erg does as he instructs, he will lock the locker, then open it again, making sure Erg can see the code before closing it. "Since you wish to learn in a suit..." he whistles and another instructor walks in from the break room, she seems aquatic in nature as well but is human. "I'll have my assistant ready to assist if you start to sink. Ruta, just be paying attention if I whistle again, thanks."

"Got it, Coach." She answers, moving to the side as the Coach steps into the pool, the water coming up to his waist.

"When you are ready, sir, please step in." He'll state to Erg, motioning to use the steps as he waits for Erg to join him in the water.
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 18(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 18 , 1d100 = 15

Major Arcana wrote:((OOC: That little spin made me LoL.))

OOC: Good :mrgreen: .. Seemed IC to me.

Major Arcana wrote:The instructor coughs before nodding "As you wish, come this way." He will lead the man to 50m long pool (Olympic Sized), that is split. One side has four lanes and the other is a shallow to deep-end free space. He leads him to the shallow portion of the free space, you can see about half a dozen occupants, and you can make out someone at the bottom of the deep end who remains there through the duration of the conversation. "This is one of three pools we have, this size. This one is mine specifically, to start, please take all your electrical equipment and anything you do not wish wet and place it here." He points to an open locker.

Erg empties his pocket items into the locker for safe keeping.

Major Arcana wrote:If Erg does as he instructs, he will lock the locker, then open it again, making sure Erg can see the code before closing it. "Since you wish to learn in a suit..." he whistles and another instructor walks in from the break room, she seems aquatic in nature as well but is human. "I'll have my assistant ready to assist if you start to sink. Ruta, just be paying attention if I whistle again, thanks."

In case I sink ?? Maybe I should start in the shallow end.

Major Arcana wrote:"When you are ready, sir, please step in." He'll state to Erg, motioning to use the steps as he waits for Erg to join him in the water.

Erg steps cautiously into the water , and than moves out until it's wait deep on him, than asks:
"Ok .. So, what do I do?"
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:28 am

Coach notes the trepidation of the man as he gets into the water.

"Unlike many other species that now inhabit this world, human bodies will naturally float unless they have too much weight. Your attire is right on the cusp of that weight limit, so depending on your mindset, you'd float or sink in that. Yes swimming is as much a mindgame as it is a skill." The Coach states, moving closer to the edge of the pool and motioning Erg to follow.

"There are three basic things we are going to practice right now. The first, I want you to grip the side of the pool and practice kicking in the water. You are not trying to create a tidal wave, you are trying to keep your body afloat without the assistance of your grip on the wall. Watch my demonstration."

The man will place his back to the wall then grip the edge of the pool, so his arms form something of a ninety degree angel, keeping his waist in relatively the same position in the water. Then he'll lift his legs off the pool floor and begin to kick under the water. Erg can see Coach go lower into the water, then higher and finally balance out at about the same height. He will maintain this for a few minutes before stopping and standing back up. "You give it a shot."
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:35 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 21(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 18 , 1d100 = 62

Major Arcana wrote:Coach notes the trepidation of the man as he gets into the water.

"Unlike many other species that now inhabit this world, human bodies will naturally float unless they have too much weight. Your attire is right on the cusp of that weight limit, so depending on your mindset, you'd float or sink in that. Yes swimming is as much a mindgame as it is a skill." The Coach states, moving closer to the edge of the pool and motioning Erg to follow.

"There are three basic things we are going to practice right now. The first, I want you to grip the side of the pool and practice kicking in the water. You are not trying to create a tidal wave, you are trying to keep your body afloat without the assistance of your grip on the wall. Watch my demonstration."

The man will place his back to the wall then grip the edge of the pool, so his arms form something of a ninety degree angel, keeping his waist in relatively the same position in the water. Then he'll lift his legs off the pool floor and begin to kick under the water. Erg can see Coach go lower into the water, then higher and finally balance out at about the same height. He will maintain this for a few minutes before stopping and standing back up. "You give it a shot."

Erg follows the directions ... gripping the side of the pool a bit tighter than he probably need to .. and practices the instructor's directions.

Hmmm ... Buoyancy makes sense. I guess that's another reason to travel light. It will make it easier not to sink to my death, if I ever need to swim.

Soo far soo good
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:41 pm

((At this point, for fun, start posting some swimming rolls to see how you are handling the lessons))

"Alright, that was easy enough for you to grasp. Next we are going to repeat only in the water without holding onto the side. Considered a Doggy-paddle by some, we are going to move where the water comes to our chest, then paddle with our arms and legs to keep our head above water. If you start to go under, just stand up." The Coach instructs, moving a few feet deeper in he demonstrates the task he just described
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:17 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 11(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 7 , 1d100 = 54

Major Arcana wrote:((At this point, for fun, start posting some swimming rolls to see how you are handling the lessons))

This is the % he will have .. just in case you wanted to apply a 'still learning' type of penalty to it.

Swimming Skill 56% Rolled 1d100 = 96
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled 1d100 = 94
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled 1d100 = 64

(Not very well apparently)

Major Arcana wrote:"Alright, that was easy enough for you to grasp. Next we are going to repeat only in the water without holding onto the side. Considered a Doggy-paddle by some, we are going to move where the water comes to our chest, then paddle with our arms and legs to keep our head above water. If you start to go under, just stand up." The Coach instructs, moving a few feet deeper in he demonstrates the task he just described

Erg continues to follow the directions .. although .. when it comes to the 'hands-free' Erg is probably doing the doggie-paddle a bit extra hard / vigorously .. just a bit nervous.

Given rolls above .. probably allot of 'standing up' happening.

Maybe I could install a micro floatation device of some kind .. this will get tiring if I had to swim like this for any length of time or distance... no wonder people invented boats.
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:01 pm

The coach shakes his head after watching Erg flail in the 5 feet water before waving him to stop. "Stop." He says flatly then motions for Erg to face him "Watch me again." The coach demonstrates again, the feet moving more quickly than the hands in a synchronized effort to keep his body afloat. He'll retain his level then stand back up, motioning for Erg to try again. "Don't think to hard on this, the physical body generally innately knows how to stay afloat, now try again."
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:32 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 2 (+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 8 , 1d100 = 34

Major Arcana wrote:The coach shakes his head after watching Erg flail in the 5 feet water before waving him to stop. "Stop." He says flatly then motions for Erg to face him "Watch me again." The coach demonstrates again, the feet moving more quickly than the hands in a synchronized effort to keep his body afloat. He'll retain his level then stand back up, motioning for Erg to try again. "Don't think to hard on this, the physical body generally innately knows how to stay afloat, now try again."

Erg stops .. and than diligently watches the instructor.

Don't think? How does learning work without thinking about it? How can one repeat what one did if you weren't paying attention to exactly what you were doing?

"Ok. I'll try again."

Erg tries to more mimic what the instructor did ... more focused on technique than raw vigorous effort this time.

Swimming Skill 56% Rolled 1d100 = 31
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled 1d100 = 12
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled 1d100 = 41

An analysis of the fluid dynamics of the water , and the biometrics of my human biology might help shed some clarity on how and why , from a scientific perspective ... Maybe I'll look into that as 'homework' after my lessons today.
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:58 pm

Coach claps and nods "Much better, much much better. Do you feel comfortable with that enough to move with the next portion of today's lesson?"
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:58 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 18(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 4 , 1d100 = 11

Major Arcana wrote:Coach claps and nods "Much better, much much better. Do you feel comfortable with that enough to move with the next portion of today's lesson?"

Erg a bit reluctantly nods ,"Ok.. What's next?"

I was a bit worried a bit there in the beginning. But, It's coming along actually faster than I expected. Especially for my first day of lessons.
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Tue May 05, 2015 10:10 am

"Alright, now that you are more comfortable with the water, we are going to do three things in conjunction. First is, letting your body float - your attire may prevent this but the human body naturally floats and seeing as you have nothing of extreme weight, your clothing should not, uninhibited, prevent you from floating." He states, then shows Erg what he means. Coach slowly lowers himself to the water then sprawls out on his back, his head staying above water. After a few moments, his feet slowly start to rise and Erg sees Coach floating, half of his body submerged and half above surface.

Coach will speak again "From here, we are going to do a simple maneuver known as The Backstroke. You are going to lightly do the flutter kicks with your feet, simultaneously, you will begin by alternating your arms from your side, straight out and up until they reenter the water near your head, you will then bend your arm to bring it back to your side and repeat. Alternate your arms as you kick your feet, like so." Coach demonstrates and Erg watches him slowly move a few ways down the pool before stopping and reassuming a floating position, beckoning Erg to join him.
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Wed May 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 19(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 4 , 1d100 = 24

Major Arcana wrote:"Alright, now that you are more comfortable with the water, we are going to do three things in conjunction. First is, letting your body float - your attire may prevent this but the human body naturally floats and seeing as you have nothing of extreme weight, your clothing should not, uninhibited, prevent you from floating." He states, then shows Erg what he means. Coach slowly lowers himself to the water then sprawls out on his back, his head staying above water. After a few moments, his feet slowly start to rise and Erg sees Coach floating, half of his body submerged and half above surface.

Coach will speak again "From here, we are going to do a simple maneuver known as The Backstroke. You are going to lightly do the flutter kicks with your feet, simultaneously, you will begin by alternating your arms from your side, straight out and up until they reenter the water near your head, you will then bend your arm to bring it back to your side and repeat. Alternate your arms as you kick your feet, like so." Coach demonstrates and Erg watches him slowly move a few ways down the pool before stopping and reassuming a floating position, beckoning Erg to join him.

Erg replies with a hesitant: "ok."

Erg takes in a deliberately overly large lung full of air (half expecting to be holding his breath underwater if he sinks).

Than he tries to do this float on back thing.

Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 63
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 26
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 66

This one technique would let me at least stay alive if I were caught out in the water.

Erg will continue to hold that breath until he'd fairly confident he is actually floating safely.
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Sun May 10, 2015 12:00 am

((Honestly, I lost track, I apologize for the 5day delay, Erg))

Coach watches as Erg begins to try, at first his clothing seems to inhibit Erg though Erg is able to recover only to be dragged back down under the water. After a moment, he stands back up and Coach shakes his head. "Instead of the Backstroke, let us try the Breast Stroke, this is the basic form that you always see when you see people swim. Observe."

Coach will then lung forward in the water, kicking his feet in the same flutter-kick patter while maneuvering his arms to move under, up and over him. The combined efforts allow him to move to the end of the pool quickly. He then turns around and returns to Erg in the same fashion. "Now you try. It is the same as the backstroke, just on your front instead of your back. It is the common method of swimming. If you are worried, don't go as far as I did. The basic effort is all I wish to see."
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Sun May 10, 2015 6:05 am

Major Arcana wrote:((Honestly, I lost track, I apologize for the 5day delay, Erg))

OOC: No worries .. 8) .. I appreciate you getting back to me in 2days faster than the 7days site requirement .. That's a ~28.6% boost in faster response time for me. :mrgreen:

- - - - - - -
Major Arcana wrote:Coach watches as Erg begins to try, at first his clothing seems to inhibit Erg though Erg is able to recover only to be dragged back down under the water. After a moment, he stands back up and Coach shakes his head. "Instead of the Backstroke, let us try the Breast Stroke, this is the basic form that you always see when you see people swim. Observe."

Coach will then lung forward in the water, kicking his feet in the same flutter-kick patter while maneuvering his arms to move under, up and over him. The combined efforts allow him to move to the end of the pool quickly. He then turns around and returns to Erg in the same fashion. "Now you try. It is the same as the backstroke, just on your front instead of your back. It is the common method of swimming. If you are worried, don't go as far as I did. The basic effort is all I wish to see."

Standing up Erg lets out his held breath and than catches his breath while he listens to and watches the coach.

That other technique might be a bit more advanced , skill wise .. and I might need to be wearing slightly more buoyant clothing .. but just floating is a nice energy efficient technique ... I like the potential in that.

Erg stays in the area that is shallow enough that he can just stand up if needed.

Erg will again start out with an overly large lung full of fresh air, and than hold it , before trying to new technique, just in case. If he needs to 'come up for air' , Erg will stand up catch his breath before trying again (with another lung full of air.).

Swimming Skill 56% Rolled:1d100 = 2
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled:1d100 = 72
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled:1d100 = 60
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Mon May 11, 2015 10:28 pm

Erg begins the form with ease, swimming to roughly the middle ground right before the drop off into the deep end. After that, his 'I've never done this before' kicks in and he losses all momentum, quickly standing up and brashly moving back where the water is to about his waist. He is slightly out of breathe as Coach moves closer.

"I told you, don't fret about the deep end. This is a Swimming Pool in a Gym, we won't let you drown. That being said, your initial moves were perfect, I presume you just got flustered. Let's move over to the edge of the shallow portion and have you try again. Swim to about the middle area again and stand up if at any point you feel flustered."
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Wed May 13, 2015 4:35 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 7(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 6 , 1d100 = 15

Major Arcana wrote:Erg begins the form with ease, swimming to roughly the middle ground right before the drop off into the deep end. After that, his 'I've never done this before' kicks in and he losses all momentum, quickly standing up and brashly moving back where the water is to about his waist. He is slightly out of breathe as Coach moves closer.

"I told you, don't fret about the deep end. This is a Swimming Pool in a Gym, we won't let you drown. That being said, your initial moves were perfect, I presume you just got flustered. Let's move over to the edge of the shallow portion and have you try again. Swim to about the middle area again and stand up if at any point you feel flustered."

Erg first catches his breath.

Of course he is correct. Silly impulse. That's the thing about instincts, they often tend to error on the side of caution .. but better to get some 'bugs' worked out now .. here .. where it's fairly safe .. and not later out in the field.

Another overly deep breath and Erg tries is again.

Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 51
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 31
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 72
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Wed May 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Coach nods as he watches Erg. He is able to swim almost perfectly to that halfway point before becoming flustered, though he is able to recover easily and remain above water. Coach walks over to Erg and nods "Fast learner considering it is your first time. I'm guessing the Deep End spooked you again but you recovered very well. I saw we repeat this until you have it down, then we'll move to the Deep End." He pauses and moves back over to the edge, motioning for Erg to follow and then says "Alright, we're going to do this a couple more times. Begin."
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Sat May 16, 2015 5:32 am

Perception: 1d20+1 = 10(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 2 , 1d100 = 43

Major Arcana wrote:Coach nods as he watches Erg. He is able to swim almost perfectly to that halfway point before becoming flustered, though he is able to recover easily and remain above water. Coach walks over to Erg and nods "Fast learner considering it is your first time. I'm guessing the Deep End spooked you again but you recovered very well. I saw we repeat this until you have it down, then we'll move to the Deep End." He pauses and moves back over to the edge, motioning for Erg to follow and then says "Alright, we're going to do this a couple more times. Begin."

Erg agrees, "Practice makes perfect as they say."

Of course use it or loose it too I guess.

Erg than repeats the drills practicing what he's learned so far.
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 26
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 66
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 27
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Sat May 16, 2015 5:26 pm

From Coach's eyes, Erg seems to be a very fast learner. He is able to begin skillfully. His head bows under the water and he flails for a split second, still getting over the new concept though he recovers quickly and makes it just past the shallow portion, beginning the deep end. Erg floats there, maintaining his head above water and realizes that he is unable to stand up without being completely submerged.

Coach beckons him back to the shallow side and Erg nods, completing this round skillfully. As he approaches Coach, he sees Coach nodding "Well done. We'll do it one more time then move onto the last lesson for the day. You've been at it for over an hour and a half." Coach pauses before pointing to the water again. "One more round like that, and we move into the deep end. Begin."

Coach watches Erg as he begins his maneuver, contemplating the last lesson. We'll see how long he can keep his cool under water... he thinks as Erg continues his last round before his last lesson of the day.

((Same, Two out of Three success is what I want. Hopefully the dice cooperate with you :twisted:))
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Sun May 17, 2015 5:15 am

Perception: 1d20+1 = 17(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 7 , 1d100 = 51

Major Arcana wrote:From Coach's eyes, Erg seems to be a very fast learner. He is able to begin skillfully. His head bows under the water and he flails for a split second, still getting over the new concept though he recovers quickly and makes it just past the shallow portion, beginning the deep end. Erg floats there, maintaining his head above water and realizes that he is unable to stand up without being completely submerged.

Coach beckons him back to the shallow side and Erg nods, completing this round skillfully. As he approaches Coach, he sees Coach nodding "Well done. We'll do it one more time then move onto the last lesson for the day. You've been at it for over an hour and a half." Coach pauses before pointing to the water again. "One more round like that, and we move into the deep end. Begin."

Stopping and standing while still in the shallow end... Erg taps himself on the forehead with the palm of his hand.

Erg talking to himself:
I'm being distracted by my instinctive need to breath .. If I don't need to breath , I can't be distracted by it.

If the Gymnasium is close enough to the nearby Merctown Ley Line Erg taps into that , otherwise he uses his own personal reserves.
Casts , Breath Without Air (BoM p.96) -5 PPE
Duration 3/Lv x Lv4 = 12/2* = 6 Minutes
(*Techno-Wizard Penalty for not using technology based spell focus.)
Recast between 'practices' as needed.

Than Erg dives in practicing again as the coach instructed. Now he no longer worries about taking a deep breath, and just focuses on learning the swimming.

Major Arcana wrote:((Same, Two out of Three success is what I want. Hopefully the dice cooperate with you :twisted:))

Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 14
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 29
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 59
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Sun May 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Coach tilts his head as he studies Erg. If he is aware of Erg's plan, he doesn't make it apparent and lets Erg continue. Erg is able to preform the final task almost perfectly, his speed slowing down slightly near the end but his form never faltering. Coach claps his hands and joins Erg in the center of the pool. "Well done, would you like a small break before the final lesson?" Coach asks

If Erg says no, he'll beckon Erg to follow him into the deep end. Erg is unsure how deep the pool actually is, but the bottom of the pool is noticeably distorted and unclear. If Erg had to guess, he'd estimate about 15ft, but Coach makes sure to never mention the depth during their conversations. As Erg joins him in the deep end, Erg recalls that at the beginning of the lesson, there was an individual at the bottom of the pool who has now seemingly disappeared and he cannot remember seeing him leave the Pool.

"As you are well aware, water can be treacherous. The serenity of a pool is nothing like the ferocity of the wild rivers and seas. Obstacles both impede and assist people while swimming in the wild, either for sport or survival. And very rarely is a river as shallow as a pool, so with that in mind, we begin the last lesson."[b] Coach then whistles and Ruta walks out from the break room. [b]"I'll need you to be paying attention during this lesson Ruta."

"Got it. I'll be right here." She complies and Coach turns back to Erg.

"When you are ready, we begin, but bear in mind you are safe here." Coach finishes and waits for Erg to say begin.
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Mon May 18, 2015 9:14 am

Perception: 1d20+1 = 6(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 11 , 1d100 = 54
Current Condition: Breath Without Air
(Recast between practices as needed using nearby Merctown Ley Line energy).

Major Arcana wrote:Erg is able to preform the final task almost perfectly, his speed slowing down slightly near the end but his form never faltering.

Taking his performance as a confirmation .. and his removing of the need to breathe being causal to his recent performance .. That would be confirmation. Soo like a scientific test .. one variable at a time. First learn swimming techniques themselves.

Major Arcana wrote:Coach claps his hands and joins Erg in the center of the pool. "Well done, would you like a small break before the final lesson?" Coach asks

If Erg feels reasonably ok he will continue .. but he has no hesitation is asking for a few minute rest break first either if he feels like he needs one.

- - - - -
Major Arcana wrote:If Erg says no, he'll beckon Erg to follow him into the deep end. Erg is unsure how deep the pool actually is, but the bottom of the pool is noticeably distorted and unclear. If Erg had to guess, he'd estimate about 15ft, but Coach makes sure to never mention the depth during their conversations. As Erg joins him in the deep end, Erg recalls that at the beginning of the lesson, there was an individual at the bottom of the pool who has now seemingly disappeared and he cannot remember seeing him leave the Pool.

When Erg is ready (with or without a short rest break) .. Erg will refresh his 'breathe without air' before continuing with the coach.

Major Arcana wrote:"When you are ready, we begin, but bear in mind you are safe here." Coach finishes and waits for Erg to say begin.

Erg swims out cautiously. "Ok"

Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 11
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 7
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 98
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Mon May 18, 2015 12:08 pm

Coach nods and begins. "As I said, swimming in a river or sea is vastly different from a pool. The waters here are calm and predictable, there are no obstructions. That is almost never the case in the wild and as you suggested, you're learning how to swim for survival. With that in mind.." He pauses and does a very sharp and curt whistle before looking back to Erg. "We begin."

Suddenly without any warning, Erg feels two hands grasp his ankles and pull him underwater. When he looks around him, he does not see the one who grabbed him, but can see Coach moving towards the Deep End Ledge. The next sensation is not unfamiliar to Erg as he hears the Coach speak to him without words. *This final lesson is a test - you must make it to where I am. You will be obstructed but not held back.* The connection is then terminated and Erg is left under the water. His Breath Without Air is helping him from becoming frantic, however Erg can feel a current in the water that seems unnatural that he cannot identify.

From what Erg can tell he has to swim about 10 feet, up and over, towards the end of the pool. The initial shock of being pulled quickly underwater still apparent, as Erg tries to make it to where Coach is, what he can assume was the other swimmer, will obstruct him.

((A game of die rolling. Three successes is a first time go, Two successes get you halfway and One success gets you nowhere and Zero gets you pushed back.))
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Tue May 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 17(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 9 , 1d100 = 91
Current Condition: Breath Without Air 5m45s

Major Arcana wrote:Suddenly without any warning, Erg feels two hands grasp his ankles and pull him underwater.

:shock:

Initially shocked / surprised .. Erg immediately looks around to remove what's pulling him down.

Major Arcana wrote:When he looks around him, he does not see the one who grabbed him,

!^$#%#!!*

Major Arcana wrote:can see Coach moving towards the Deep End Ledge. The next sensation is not unfamiliar to Erg as he hears the Coach speak to him without words. *This final lesson is a test - you must make it to where I am. You will be obstructed but not held back.* The connection is then terminated and Erg is left under the water.

:x

Major Arcana wrote:His Breath Without Air is helping him from becoming frantic, however Erg can feel a current in the water that seems unnatural that he cannot identify.

Lucky I cast that. I might have just drowned.

Major Arcana wrote:From what Erg can tell he has to swim about 10 feet, up and over, towards the end of the pool. The initial shock of being pulled quickly underwater still apparent, as Erg tries to make it to where Coach is, what he can assume was the other swimmer, will obstruct him.

Erg vigorously swims trying to reach the surface.

Major Arcana wrote:((A game of die rolling. Three successes is a first time go, Two successes get you halfway and One success gets you pushed back.))

Swimming Skill 56% Rolled:1d100 = 30
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled:1d100 = 63
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled:1d100 = 67
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Wed May 20, 2015 3:35 am

((I liked the faces, made me actually LoL, and I make an amendment. One Success means you make no progress, Zero Successes is pushed back)))

Erg attempts to make it towards Coach but is seemingly unable to make any headway against the strange current. Calmly thinking, Erg is able to find a loophole. In a real life situation, he realizes his first instinct would be to make it to the surface then make it to the edge. Also from under the water, Erg can tell that both Coach and Ruta are ready to intervene if needed.
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Wed May 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 19.(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 1 , 1d100 = 66
Current Condition: Breath Without Air 5m30s

Major Arcana wrote:Erg attempts to make it towards Coach but is seemingly unable to make any headway against the strange current. Calmly thinking, Erg is able to find a loophole. In a real life situation, he realizes his first instinct would be to make it to the surface then make it to the edge. Also from under the water, Erg can tell that both Coach and Ruta are ready to intervene if needed.

Hmmm .. soo if this is all the same water here .. to have a flow of water away from that point I want to reach .. there should also be a flow of water toward that same point as well... otherwise it would run out of water.

Erg changes tactics and tries to swim 'with' the current / flow of water .. he anticipates it will in short order take him around to get closer to his destination .. even if it might be a indirect route to it .. he is not concerned about getting to the surface as he does not need the air to breath at the moment.

Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 35
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 5
Swimming Skill 56% Rolled: 1d100 = 41
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Major Arcana » Thu May 21, 2015 11:39 am

Erg manages what he wanted and rides the current. Erg discovers that the current is seemingly manifested and moving in a circular path around the pool itself. He ends up reaching the surface near Coach and gripping the wall after his ride, Coach nods in approval. "Most would have tried to go against the current, you chose to ride it until you could get out safely. Well done." Coach looks past Erg and the swimmer that was at the bottom of the pool is now floating with them. "Meet another one of my pupils, that current you rode was his. Your lessons for today are over and your progress is impressive. I'll be here all day tomorrow if you chose to return, otherwise, you can hang out and keep swimming if you wish."
Major Arcana

Postby Erg » Fri May 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 13(+3 Involving Magic , Machines , or their Combination)
JIC: 1d20 = 1 , 1d100 = 31

Major Arcana wrote:Erg manages what he wanted and rides the current. Erg discovers that the current is seemingly manifested and moving in a circular path around the pool itself. He ends up reaching the surface near Coach and gripping the wall after his ride, Coach nods in approval. "Most would have tried to go against the current, you chose to ride it until you could get out safely. Well done." Coach looks past Erg and the swimmer that was at the bottom of the pool is now floating with them. "Meet another one of my pupils, that current you rode was his. Your lessons for today are over and your progress is impressive. I'll be here all day tomorrow if you chose to return, otherwise, you can hang out and keep swimming if you wish."

:)
Erg is pleased with is 'work smarter' results.

"Thanks, for your instruction. I think that's enough for me for one day."

Erg than retrieves his items stored in the Gym locker.

Than Erg goes for a walk through the park (which is next to the gym on the Merctown map)... When he exits on the west side of the park , as makes his way back to the haunt .. The sign for the new arrival at Spy Gear Electronics catches his eye and he goes inside.

Spy Gear Electronics

- - - - - - OOC - - - - - -
I'm giving Erg a 'excuse' to be able to walk past and see the 'new arrival' at Spy Gear Electronics .. Sense he would have no IC ability to know it's there or really need to be go looking for it .. I'm just adding a little RPing for consistency .. But I as the player think it's cool 8) ... I'll put up and IC post in that thread shortly.
Erg Flux
Status
Erg
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Return to The Hub