Allen's Markets (75)

Market District

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Allen's Markets (75)

Postby Augur » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Owned by the same Matthew Allen of Allen Foods fame, this is a small local chain of grocery stores scattered throughout MercTown. Each location has a butcher shop , bakery, fresh produce section, deli counter, canned goods, and other packaged foods. Excellent selection and the prices are reasonable.
"The older I get the closer Lloyd comes to making sense." ~Uncle Servo
"Well, you have been Lloyd-pilled for years." ~ Bahb Silunt
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Augur
Admin

Re: Allen's Markets (75)

Postby Naliyah » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:13 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 59/60%
JIC (20): 1d20 = 11
JIC (100): 1d100 = 13

Naliyah can smell the meat from outside before she even enters the market.

Finally, fresh meat... well, compared to all that charred meat those humans and others eat, it is! she thinks as she activates her Ectoplasm ability, forms a solid Ectoplasmic hand, and uses it to reach out and open the door as she lets herself inside.

Once indoors, Naliyah follows her nose to the butcher shop and greets the butcher with a friendly tone.

"Hello. I'd like to inquire as to your prices for fresh meat, by the pound, please," she says to the butcher, her blue eyes taking in what the butcher has to offer.

Charm/Impress roll: 1d100 = 79/55%
Invoke Trust: 1d100 = 90/55%
Naliyah
Current Status
S.D.C.: 93/93
H.P.: 78/78
P.P.E.: 485/485
I.S.P.: 111/111

Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried

Always On:
  • Awe/Horror Factor: 12 (16 when roaring)
  • Sixth Sense
    Range: 90 feet
    Duration: Until the danger passes or happens. Bonuses apply only to the first melee round of the attack from the source of the sensed danger.
    I.S.P.: 2
    Saving Throw: None.
    The Sixth Sense is a power that gives the psychic a precognitive flash of imminent danger to himself or somebody near him (within 90 feet). The character will not know what the danger is or where it will come from, nor who it will be directed at when in a group. All he knows is that something life threatening will happen within the next 60 seconds (4 melees) ! The Sixth Sense is triggered automatically, without the consent of the psychic, whenever his life is in great peril or the life of somebody he greatly cares about (friend, partner, loved one, etc.).
    The Sixth Sense is only triggered by an unexpected, life threatening event (a trap or ambush is within 90 feet or a flash flood is rushing his way) which is already set into motion and will happen any second. The power can not be called upon at will to sense for traps or ambush. Instead, it works like an automatic reflex. If the character has used all his I.S.P. the Sixth Sense is temporarily rendered inoperative.
    Bonuses: The sudden flash of insight provides the following bonuses.
    All bonuses apply only to the first, initial melee (15 seconds) when the attack/danger occurs. Bonuses are lost in subsequent melee rounds after the danger is revealed.
    +6 on initiative roll, +2 to parry, +3 to dodge and the character can not be surprised by a sneak attack from behind.
  • Shing automatically sense supernatural good and evil within a 600' radius

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: +30%
Magic (varies): +8
Lethal Poison (14+): +8
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +8
Insanity (12+): +10
Psionics (as a Major psychic, Naliyah needs a 12 to save): +6
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Effectively impervious to disease
Fatigues at half normal rate
Naliyah

Postby Underguard » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 am

GM Note
I used prices for red meat on this for reference, and rounded down cause Sam's Club is expensive.

While traveling through the streets of Merctown, Naliyah notices that for the most part, everyone gives her a pretty wide berth, a couple sideways looks here and there but nothing special. Naliyah would have a hard time counting the number of different looks, brands, races or otherwise she sees. Her supernatural senses ping in nearly every direction with both good and bad; she however does not sense anything staggeringly evil nor immediate danger.

On her path to the Collegiate, her keen nose catches the scent of uncooked food and raw meat. Her nose leads her to the Allen's Markets. When she enters, she takes a moment to look around and sees several different collections of food areas in the store but she is immediately drawn to the butcher.

The butcher has his back to the counter and Naliyah can hear the thump of meat being hit with a tenderizer. The Butcher does appear to be a tall, tattooed and large human male.

Naliyah wrote:"Hello. I'd like to inquire as to your prices for fresh meat, by the pound, please,"

Without looking back, the butcher responds, "5 credits per pound of sirloin red meat cut, boneless." She hears another thud, "9 for our ribeye cut, bone but more meat."

She hears another thud and then his hands clasp together as he turns around. "Or were you looking for.." he pauses when he sees the blue eyes of a lioness looking at him and crosses his arms. "We only sell dead meat, so if you're looking to play with your food go somewhere else." He responds and Naliyah can guess from the grizzled face and dedicated glare that he has seen more than his share for a Butcher.
Underguard
Game Master

Postby Naliyah » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:41 am

**rolls held**

Underguard wrote:While traveling through the streets of Merctown, Naliyah notices that for the most part, everyone gives her a pretty wide berth, a couple sideways looks here and there but nothing special. Naliyah would have a hard time counting the number of different looks, brands, races or otherwise she sees. Her supernatural senses ping in nearly every direction with both good and bad; she however does not sense anything staggeringly evil nor immediate danger.

So many bipeds... thinks the Shing as she marvels at the bio-diversity of MercTown - at least, in terms of sentient beings. This reminds me of stories I have been told about a place called Center. It is said almost anything can be found there, for the right price... However, she is also keenly aware that there are downsides to human and humanoid "cities" - namely the trash and clutter, slums, and squalid living conditions. I don't see the big draw... why live like this, when one can sleep under the stars and roam free? she thinks curiously, remembering her time on the Pride Worlds as she strolls along.

Underguard wrote:On her path to the Collegiate, her keen nose catches the scent of uncooked food and raw meat. Her nose leads her to the Allen's Markets. When she enters, she takes a moment to look around and sees several different collections of food areas in the store but she is immediately drawn to the butcher.

The butcher has his back to the counter and Naliyah can hear the thump of meat being hit with a tenderizer. The Butcher does appear to be a tall, tattooed and large human male.

Naliyah wrote:"Hello. I'd like to inquire as to your prices for fresh meat, by the pound, please,"

Without looking back, the butcher responds, "5 credits per pound of sirloin red meat cut, boneless." She hears another thud, "9 for our ribeye cut, bone but more meat."

She hears another thud and then his hands clasp together as he turns around. "Or were you looking for.." he pauses when he sees the blue eyes of a lioness looking at him and crosses his arms. "We only sell dead meat, so if you're looking to play with your food go somewhere else." He responds and Naliyah can guess from the grizzled face and dedicated glare that he has seen more than his share for a Butcher.

Naliyah grins back at the big man.

Without missing a beat, she replies, "Not a problem. It doesn't have to be living, just... not cooked, preferably. I'll need about 60 pounds, cut into three pound pieces, of... let's go with half and half, shall we? 30 pounds of sirloin, and 30 pounds of ribeye, bone-in. A girl has to get her calcium, you know," she says with a wink at the butcher.

OOC Comments
My limited research suggests lions consume between 10-25 pounds of meat per day. Naliyah is on the larger side for a lion, so presuming 15 pounds per day, and Dimensional Pockets are limited to 30 pounds, so roughly 2 days per "pocket" sounds about right, for easy math. Sound good?

"I'll be back for those in a bit. In fact, this could turn into a regular shopping spree for me, given most of the food in this place is... charred, shall we say? In the meanwhile, I'll take 15 pounds right now, if it's not too much trouble, Mr....?" she lets it linger for a moment, hoping to get the gent's name.

I really should try to find that Metamorphosis: Human spell at the Collegiate Arcane... I imagine he'd be a bit more approachable!

While talking with the butcher, Naliyah will direct her ectoplasmic hand to pull out her secure card and place it on the counter.

Repeat attempt to charm/impress:
1d100 = 18/55%
Naliyah
Current Status

Always On:
  • Sixth Sense
    Duration: Until the danger passes or happens. Bonuses apply only to the first melee round of the attack from the source of the sensed danger.
    The Sixth Sense is a power that gives the psychic a precognitive flash of imminent danger to himself or somebody near him (within 90 feet). The character will not know what the danger is or where it will come from, nor who it will be directed at when in a group. All he knows is that something life threatening will happen within the next 60 seconds (4 melees) ! The Sixth Sense is triggered automatically, without the consent of the psychic, whenever his life is in great peril or the life of somebody he greatly cares about (friend, partner, loved one, etc.).
    The Sixth Sense is only triggered by an unexpected, life threatening event (a trap or ambush is within 90 feet or a flash flood is rushing his way) which is already set into motion and will happen any second. The power can not be called upon at will to sense for traps or ambush. Instead, it works like an automatic reflex. If the character has used all his I.S.P. the Sixth Sense is temporarily rendered inoperative.
    All bonuses apply only to the first, initial melee (15 seconds) when the attack/danger occurs. Bonuses are lost in subsequent melee rounds after the danger is revealed.
    +6 on initiative roll, +2 to parry, +3 to dodge and the character can not be surprised by a sneak attack from behind.

Saving Throw Bonuses
Saving Throw Bonuses
Naliyah

Postby Underguard » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:21 am

Naliyah sees his eyebrow raise as the prospect of making it a regular thing and leans forward on the counter. "Name's Bronkema, Teddy Bronkema, call me Teddy. Head Butcher of this outlet with Allen's. 15 pounds clean cut sirloin coming up, I'll make sure it is some of our fresher meat." He finishes introducing himself and walks towards the back.

He moves away from the counter and towards the back wall to a large ice-box that Naliyah cannot see past and disappears through it. A moment later he returns with a cold bag and takes out several clean cuts of sirloin, placing them on a different section of the station he was at when Naliyah walked up.

He quickly cuts the 15 pounds into 3 pound pieces and bags them into a cold bag, turning just in time to see the Ectoplasmic hand place the secure card on the counter. He places the bag on the counter, "That'll be 75 credits for this run. You want to make this a regular thing, we can start talking deals once you've been a regular here." He takes the card and charges it barring any complaints, then looks to Naliyah.

"Do you want this secured to your, ahem, harness?" He says cautiously, holding up the bag of meat and sliding the card back to her.

At request, he'll help secure it for travel where it won't get in the way, but it also won't be easy to reach.
Underguard
Game Master

Postby Naliyah » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:48 pm

**ROLLS HELD**

Underguard wrote:Naliyah sees his eyebrow raise as the prospect of making it a regular thing and leans forward on the counter. "Name's Bronkema, Teddy Bronkema, call me Teddy. Head Butcher of this outlet with Allen's. 15 pounds clean cut sirloin coming up, I'll make sure it is some of our fresher meat." He finishes introducing himself and walks towards the back.

Thank you, Teddy - I'm Naliyah. It's a pleasure to meet you," says the lioness with a nod of her head.

Probably shouldn't offer to 'shake hands', with health concerns and such - he works with fresh meat all day.

Underguard wrote:He moves away from the counter and towards the back wall to a large ice-box that Naliyah cannot see past and disappears through it. A moment later he returns with a cold bag and takes out several clean cuts of sirloin, placing them on a different section of the station he was at when Naliyah walked up.

He quickly cuts the 15 pounds into 3 pound pieces and bags them into a cold bag, turning just in time to see the Ectoplasmic hand place the secure card on the counter. He places the bag on the counter, "That'll be 75 credits for this run. You want to make this a regular thing, we can start talking deals once you've been a regular here." He takes the card and charges it barring any complaints, then looks to Naliyah.

She nods and agrees: "Fair enough - I just need to get something to hold the 60 pound order, and I'll come back for it later. You can charge me for it now, if you like - I realize that's a fair amount of meat to hold for someone you just met."

"Do you want this secured to your, ahem, harness?" He says cautiously, holding up the bag of meat and sliding the card back to her.

At request, he'll help secure it for travel where it won't get in the way, but it also won't be easy to reach.

"Thank you for the offer, that would be helpful. I won't travel very far with it, as I intend to eat fairly soon."

After securing it, she says, "Thanks again. Say... do you happen to know of a place where I could get a few leather pouches? Not quite as big as these saddlebags I have, but rather... let's say... about this size." As she talks, her paws trace the dimensions of a standard sized pouch that could hold one of the 3 pound chunks he cut up for her without too much trouble.
Naliyah
Current Status

Always On:
  • Sixth Sense

Saving Throw Bonuses
Saving Throw Bonuses
Naliyah

Postby Underguard » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:46 am

Naliyah wrote:"Thanks again. Say... do you happen to know of a place where I could get a few leather pouches? Not quite as big as these saddlebags I have, but rather... let's say... about this size."

Teddy shrugs, "For something like that, your best bet is the Buyer's Market Pawnshop over in the warrens or just around the corner is a Wilderness Equipment Outlet." He finishes.

Added to equipment sheet. Credits deducted.
Underguard
Game Master

Postby Naliyah » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:00 am

**ROLLS HELD**

Underguard wrote:
Underguard wrote:
Naliyah wrote:"Thanks again. Say... do you happen to know of a place where I could get a few leather pouches? Not quite as big as these saddlebags I have, but rather... let's say... about this size."

Teddy shrugs, "For something like that, your best bet is the Buyer's Market Pawnshop over in the warrens." He finishes.

The Warrens, hmm? Will check it out on my map.

Naliyah bids Teddy adieu and walks out of the store after saying, "Thanks again, Teddy. See you soon for the sixty pound order."

She uses her Ectoplasmic hand to retrieve the map as she looks it over.

Warrens... hmm, that's in the opposite direction... Maybe I can find something here, in this area? So many stores... she thinks as she looks the map over.

Leaving the store, she walks toward the Mystic Quarter, closer to her goal at the Collegiate Arcane, so helpfully pointed out to her on the map by the previous guard. As she approaches the entrance, she barely catches a store off to the side that has some "outdoorsy" looking equipment displayed, and decides to check it out.

<<Naliyah will enter Wilderness Equipment Outlet>>
Naliyah
Current Status

Always On:
  • Sixth Sense

Saving Throw Bonuses
Saving Throw Bonuses
Naliyah

Postby Naliyah » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:55 am

Perception: 1d100 = 49/60
JIC(20): 1d20 = 2
JIC(100): 1d100 = 2

Naliyah arrives back at Allen's Markets, and heads to the butcher counter again, looking for Terry. Assuming he's still there, she greets him: "Hello Terry, I'm back - as promised - for the 60 pound order, individually cut just as before into one pound chunks, and individually wrapped, please."

She manifests the Ectoplasmic Hand and offers her card as payment.

When she receives the meat and card back, she will begin placing the pieces into two of her dimensional pouches, as they hold up to 30 pounds each.

Once she finishes, she will thank Teddy for his time: "Thanks again, Teddy. Will look forward to seeing you again soon!" she says in a cheerful tone and, placing the pouches back in her waist pouch, walks out.

When Naliyah leaves, she takes a few moments to take out the two dimensional pouches with the meat in them, and casts Time Capsule on them, ensuring freshness for an indefinite period of time.

Hmm, where to now? she thinks.

Let's check out this "Warrens" place that Master Jackson mentioned... come to think of it, Teddy mentioned it too, a Pawn Shop as I recall..maybe I can stop by there as well?

The lioness uses her psychic hand/arm to pull out the city map and plots her course to the Feathered Serpent Pharmacy in the Warrens and begins walking that way.

<<Feathered Serpent>>
Naliyah
Current Status

Always On:
  • Sixth Sense

Saving Throw Bonuses
Saving Throw Bonuses
Naliyah

Postby Underguard » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:52 am

She spots the one she had spoken too before in his usual gruff demeanor.

Naliyah wrote:"Hello Terry, I'm back - as promised - for the 60 pound order, individually cut just as before into one pound chunks, and individually wrapped, please."

He turns and looks at her sharply, "You want to be one of my regulars and you can't even get my name right!?" Teddy responds and looks to the back where the cooler is. "Hey TERRY! Someone here to see ya! Think they said their name was Nala." He pauses a moment, looking back down at the lioness and laughs. He'll move away and prep the order and return, no other person named Terry appears.

Naliyah wrote:"Thanks again, Teddy. Will look forward to seeing you again soon!"

Teddy waves his hand off and shrugs "Yeah, yeah, at least you got my name right that time. " Teddy jests as Naliyah leaves.

**Outside**

As Naliyah begins towards the Feathered Serpents Pharmacy, she thinks she sees a hooded figure watching her from around the corner. However, when she goes to look she doesn't spot anybody, nor smell or hear them. Her heightened senses towards the Supernatural don't reveal anything from the direction of the individual. She can pick up a few other beings in different areas (both good and bad) which makes it difficult to pinpoint what may have been watching her, if not who..

Seeing nothing more to do here, Naliyah continues on and could easily chalk it up to being the only Shing in Merctown drawing a few eyes.

Time for Continuity: Approximately 1:40, after the walk from the Collegiate, the wait, Teddy's ramblings and the spot check.
Underguard
Game Master

Return to The Spokes