The Collegiate Arcane & Mystic Guild (126)

Dominated by the mages of MercTown and shops specializing in magic gear, weapons, and accessories.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

The Collegiate Arcane & Mystic Guild (126)

Postby Augur » Tue May 19, 2009 1:51 pm

At the center of the Mystic Quarter is the Collegiate Arcane & Magic Guild. Built atop the city's sole nexus point, it is a sprawling compound with a half dozen buildings built in the style of a medieval keep or manner house. The Collegiate serves the dual purposes of a training academy for neophytes in a variety of mystic arts, as well as a magic guild. At present, it has a membership of 458 true magic practitioners, plus another two hundred trainees trying to learn one magic discipline or another.

The Collegiate Arcane & Guild Hall campus is designed to resemble a medieval manor house. A 12' high stone wall almost completely encircles the compound, the sale opening an iron-wrought front gate in the south wall. Beyond the wall is a vast courtyard paved in cobblestone, save for around the bases of trees planted in twin rows leading to a massive fountain carved in the shape of a Great Homed Dragon. Looming behind the fountain, dwarfing the almost life-sized statue, is the Guild Hall. The Hall is one of the largest buildings in MercTown, a gigantic gray stone structure constructed to resemble a medieval fortress with a pair of circular stone towers 200' tall. Scattered around this central keep are a half dozen smaller buildings, most of which are two story dormitories used as quarters for visiting sorcerers and acolytes studying to be wizards at the magic college.

The Collegiate Arcane & Magic Guild is an impressive structure that seems a bit out of place in a modern city of concrete and steel like MercTown. Still, it is not so strange or marvelous as to inspire awe or fear. Twenty-eight gargoyle-like statues are perched at intervals upon the walls of the castle. Entrance to the College & Guild Hall campus is permitted only through the front gate. Two Major Elementals (one Earth and one Air) stand guard at the gate to ensure that no one else can pass through the iron-wrought barricade. If there is any doubt as to whether or not an individual is permitted on the premises, one of the Elementals leaves to confer with the Guild Master or one of the members of its ruling Council.

All magic practitioners are welcome to enter even those who are not members of the guild. Non-mages are not allowed inside unless they are in the company of a mage or are official representatives of MercTown's government.

+5% to all rolls to find magic items of any type and of any rarity
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Augur
Admin

Re: The Collegiate Arcane & Mystic Guild (126)

Postby William Summers » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:50 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 2/48%
JIC: 1d20 = 17/1d100 = 47

Will sets his Turbo Wing Board down near the gates to the Collegiate Arcane and steps off. He leaves his board with the Guild's valet and heads inside. His first stop is to the financial desk. He waits his turn in line, keeping himself entertained by looking at the intricacies of his rings. Once he gets to the front of the line, he introduces himself. "Hello. I'm William Summers of the Dweomer Defense Force, come to make my annual donation. I believe 7,000 is the best I can do at this time. A pittance compared to my last donation, but one gives what they can when they can." Once he's done paying his dues, he will search for an area where mages are selling their wares. Altfeld was looking for the ability to see the invisible. Something in an amulet form I think... Well, this might be the place. Let's see what I can scrounge up. Will looks from table to table for someone selling an Amulet of See The Invisible.
The Man in Black
William Summers
HP: 55/55
SDC: 62/62
PPE: 142/157

TW Infiltrado Armor:
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 18/40 • Main Body: 55/55
• Left Leg: 35/35 • Right Leg: 35/35
• Left Arm: 25/25 • Right Arm: 25/25

Features: Thermokinetic (thermal and kinetic attacks do 25% less damage), Forearm-Mounted Retractable Silver-Plated Vibro-Blades (1 each forearm): +1d6 M.D. to Punch Damage
TW Enhancements: Sigilo, Percatación, Cuerpo, Bravura. See sheet for descriptions.

Iron Sword: 5D6 MD.
Kisentite Sword: 2D6+6 MD. +2 to strike and parry.
TW Thundergun Revolver: 3D6 SDC to mortals, 5D6 MD to magic beings, 1D6x10 MD to supernatural beings. 6/6. Range: 200'. Recharge: 10 PPE.
MP-3 MageFire Bolt Pistol: 3D6+3 MD. 8/8. Range: 500'. Recharge: 12 PPE.
TW Horde Buster Rifle: 1D6*10 or 1D6 per projectile. +1 to strike. 5/5. Range: 1100'. Recharge: 20 PPE.

Grenade Bandoleers (2): 1 Seeker Bat Grenade, 1 Void Grenade, 3 Flashfire Grenades, 1 Acid Grenade, 1 Plasma Grenade, 1 Heavy HE Grenade, 1 Flash Freeze Grenade, 1 Smoke Grenade.

Wing Board Turbo

8th Ring of Elder
☞ Reduces by half the amount of P.P.E. required to perform any magical feat, ability or spell.
☞ Doubles the duration of any magic feat, ability or spell.
☞ Doubles the range of any magic feat, ability or spell.

William Summers
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Around a circular table under a domed structure, there sits a handful of acolytes and a few more experienced mages. They appear to be passing around a glass or ceramic contraption of some sort with tubes which extend from it. As the thing gets passed around, those nearest put the ends of the tubes in their mouths. A small brazier at the top of the contraption seems to be burning, and moments later, those with the tubes exhale large clouds of smoke. Curious, Will approaches and notes the table is also littered with a dozen or so small ornaments which seem to be magical in nature. Also, two small board games appear to be in use by four of those present. The boards have raised edges, an odd half-diamond type pattern inset into the board, small tokens of black and white, and a pair of six-sided dice in use. One of the more experienced mages looks up at Will's approach. "Come, sit with us, brother, and enjoy this lovely afternoon. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to acquire a carafe of sweetened tea for your brothers?"
Augur
Admin

Postby William Summers » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:12 am

Perception: 1d100 = 13/48%
JIC: 1d20 = 7/1d100 = 19

Will takes in the scene for a moment, enjoying the relaxed energy of the people in the room. There's been so much fighting, I forgot what the inbetween looks like. I wonder what that contraption with the smoke is? Maybe I could join them.

Experienced Mage wrote:"Come, sit with us, brother, and enjoy this lovely afternoon. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to acquire a carafe of sweetened tea for your brothers?"

Will's ears direct him toward the person talking with him and he gives a polite bow to the mage. "Of course, brother." Will heads to the refreshment area and gets a carafe of sweetened tea and a stack of cups enough for the mages playing board games and a snack of mochi and a stick of jerky for himself. He hands the mage that spoke to him the carafe as well as the stack of cups and places his snacks on the table. He pulls up a chair to observe the games and have some conversation. "Good afternoon, brothers. I return from a long journey at sea and have not stepped foot in these halls for over a year. How are things? What is this contraption being passed around? Tell me about this game?" He lets the mages present answer between each question, not wanting to step on their conversational toes. This is nice. It's good to be surrounded by your own. The closest I've got is Mercedes and she's a nutcase.
The Man in Black
William Summers

TW Infiltrado Armor:
M.D.C. by Location

Features: Thermokinetic (thermal and kinetic attacks do 25% less damage), Forearm-Mounted Retractable Silver-Plated Vibro-Blades (1 each forearm): +1d6 M.D. to Punch Damage
TW Enhancements: Sigilo, Percatación, Cuerpo, Bravura. See sheet for descriptions.

TW Thundergun Revolver: 3D6 SDC to mortals, 5D6 MD to magic beings, 1D6x10 MD to supernatural beings. 6/6. Range: 200'. Recharge: 10 PPE.
TW Horde Buster Rifle: 1D6*10 or 1D6 per projectile. +1 to strike. 5/5. Range: 1100'. Recharge: 20 PPE.

Grenade Bandoleers (2): 1 Seeker Bat Grenade, 1 Void Grenade, 3 Flashfire Grenades, 1 Acid Grenade, 1 Plasma Grenade, 1 Heavy HE Grenade, 1 Flash Freeze Grenade, 1 Smoke Grenade.

Wing Board Turbo

8th Ring of Elder
☞ Reduces by half the amount of P.P.E. required to perform any magical feat, ability or spell.

William Summers
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:40 am

Will wrote:"Good afternoon, brothers. I return from a long journey at sea and have not stepped foot in these halls for over a year. How are things? What is this contraption being passed around? Tell me about this game?"

The assembled mages and acolytes all throw their hands in the air as Will sets down the tray and call out "Sa-lu!" in unison, then laugh good-naturedly. One mage in a long, cream & tan colored robe responds to Will's questions. "We are playing an ancient game known as backgammon, and that contraption is known as a hookah; it's a smoking device, a rather pleasant one at that as the water in the bell-shaped chamber at the bottom cools the smoke from the brazier at the top. Please, enjoy a puff when it comes around to you, and thank you for the tea, brother."

An acolyte with a few chin whiskers speaks up after the mage. "What were you doing out at sea? Are you a practitioner of Ocean Magic? What brings you back to the Collegiate, sir?" The acolyte seems full of questions and wonder.
Augur
Admin

Postby William Summers » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 9/48%
JIC: 1d20 = 18/1d100 = 72

Cream Mage wrote:"We are playing an ancient game known as backgammon, and that contraption is known as a hookah; it's a smoking device, a rather pleasant one at that as the water in the bell-shaped chamber at the bottom cools the smoke from the brazier at the top. Please, enjoy a puff when it comes around to you, and thank you for the tea, brother."

"Backgammon. Is there a frontgammon? I shall have to find the rules to study and come back to play. All of the smiling and the 'Sa-lu!', this is a great energy to be around."

Whisker Acolyte wrote:"What were you doing out at sea? Are you a practitioner of Ocean Magic? What brings you back to the Collegiate, sir?" The acolyte seems full of questions and wonder.

"Good afternoon, young one! Let's see, I was out at sea with my group of adventurers. We are called the Roughnecks. We had a job to explore some unexplored areas of the world and bring back maps for people. Along the way we got ourselves into all kinds of adventures, and I got to fight..." Will leans in and whispers the next word so the acolyte feels important with a message only for him. "vampires! I'm no Ocean Mage, I'm a graduate of the Dweomer Defense Academy's Brotherhood of Battle. In short, I'm a Battle Magus. Swords and spells and cool guns. I came back here to pay my yearly dues and to peruse some wares. I have an associate who really wants something I've got. So I figure I should buy him one. It's the nice thing to do. What about you? What field do you study? How long have you been here?"

When the hookah comes to him, Will takes one of the tubes and inhales. Oh, that is a delightful flavor! He releases the smoke from his mouth and enjoys the aroma.
The Man in Black
William Summers

TW Infiltrado Armor:
M.D.C. by Location

Wing Board Turbo

8th Ring of Elder

William Summers
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:53 pm

William Summers wrote:"What about you? What field do you study? How long have you been here?"

The acolyte perks up at interest in himself. "I'm...well, I'm learning how to harness my inner strength and focus my third eye as a potential mystic. It's less formal instruction than some of what my peers describe in their own studies, but it's quite rigorous in its own way. Certainly, I've come to understand myself a great deal better as a result, though I'm no sure about the rest of the wor..." he seems to pause as he looks at Will. "You're just being nice. You're interested in something. Something here at this table beyond good company and fine tobacco."

One of the mages guffaws and another snorts smoke out through his nose in an unexpected laugh. One of the mages calls Will out, "Oh, the acolyte saw right through you, brother! A little advice: stay away from brothels--even the non-psychic mistresses would read you like a book if our young acolyte friend here could read you so quickly!" This repartee generates a whole round of laughter and cups clinking together at the witticism. When the hilarity has died down to a few chuckles, another mage ventures to broach a crude question. "So what are you after Battle Magus? I'm afraid the stores elsewhere in the quarter have a finer selection of techno-wizard weapons than the Collegiate, so I assume it's something a little more rare, something more lethal perhaps? Come now, be straight with us, you've given us plenty of smiles, it's the least we could do to help you find what you're after."
Augur
Admin

Postby William Summers » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 59/48%
JIC: 1d20 = 17/1d100 = 73

Acolyte wrote:"I'm...well, I'm learning how to harness my inner strength and focus my third eye as a potential mystic. It's less formal instruction than some of what my peers describe in their own studies, but it's quite rigorous in its own way. Certainly, I've come to understand myself a great deal better as a result, though I'm no sure about the rest of the wor..." he seems to pause as he looks at Will. "You're just being nice. You're interested in something. Something here at this table beyond good company and fine tobacco."

"Well... I..." Caught completely off guard, he stammers for a moment before the mages in the room react with laughter.
Augur wrote:One of the mages guffaws and another snorts smoke out through his nose in an unexpected laugh. One of the mages calls Will out, "Oh, the acolyte saw right through you, brother! A little advice: stay away from brothels--even the non-psychic mistresses would read you like a book if our young acolyte friend here could read you so quickly!"

By the brothers, was I that obvious? He turns a light shade of red, which he can feel coming on due to his intimate knowledge of body and self. They're just having a little fun with me. No need to get upset.
Augur wrote:"So what are you after Battle Magus? I'm afraid the stores elsewhere in the quarter have a finer selection of techno-wizard weapons than the Collegiate, so I assume it's something a little more rare, something more lethal perhaps? Come now, be straight with us, you've given us plenty of smiles, it's the least we could do to help you find what you're after."

Will tries to collect himself and nods to the acolyte to excuse himself to talk to the mage. "Brother, you and your... acolyte speak truly. I am always in search of new and more impressive armament. Anything that helps get the job done quicker and more effectively. If you've anything that might help give an edge in battle, I'd be interested in hearing about it." Will pauses for a moment and then remembers Shit. John's thing. "And an amulet to see those who make themselves invisible for my squadmate." He turns to the table in front of them and gestures to the ornaments littering the table. "What're those?"
The Man in Black
William Summers

TW Infiltrado Armor:
M.D.C. by Location

Wing Board Turbo

8th Ring of Elder

William Summers
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:42 am

An older mage with a bushy mustache near Will's end of the table takes over for the would-be Mystic. "These are fundraisers for an expedition we're still planning, an interdisciplinary field trip of sorts for our acolytes of various crafts." The mage then points to each of the little pendants, Will now notices that there's a small clasp affixed at one point or another to each to allow for a chain or thong, and identifies the purpose of each:

• Protection Against Sickness Amulet
  • Protection Against Insanity Amulet
  • Protection Against the Supernatural Amulet
  • See the Invisible Amulet
  • Sense the Presence of Spirits Amulet
  • Mystic Fulcrum Talisman
  • Ley Line Transmission Talisman
  • House of Glass Talisman
  • See Wards Talisman
  • Sub-Particle Acceleration Talisman
Augur
Admin

Postby William Summers » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:01 am

Perception: 1d100 = 4/48%
JIC: 1d20 = 16/1d100 = 10

"A field trip! Excellent. The halls of learning are blessed, but there is nothing like the outside world to solidify a lesson." Will listens as the mage points to each of the pendants and keeps track of the ones he's interested in. "Brother, I will take the See The Invisible Amulet, and the Sub-Particle Acceleration, House of Glass and See Wards Talismans. What type of donation are you asking for to fund this field trip?"
The Man in Black
William Summers

TW Infiltrado Armor:
M.D.C. by Location

Wing Board Turbo

8th Ring of Elder

William Summers
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:43 pm

"We're asking the following for those items," the mustached mage consults a small, handheld computer and begins reading from it. "Brother Aenid made the See The Invisible Amulet and is asking for ten thousand credits. Borther Lukas made the Sub-Particle Acceleration Talisman and is asking for ninety-five thousand credits. Sister Malice made the House of Glass Talisman and is asking for seventy-five thousand credits. I made the See Wards Talisman and will take no less than ninety-five thousand credits for it."

All talismans are at level 5 proficiency
Augur
Admin

Postby William Summers » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:03 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 65/48%
JIC: 1d20 = 8/1d100 = 19

"These are well crafted and appealing, but I am not made of money. I would like to purchase Brother Aenid's amulet to support the young mages on their field trip. Have we a deal?" Will brings out his Secure Universal Credit Card and purchases the amulet. When the transaction is complete, Will responds to Wak's call.
Wakiza wrote:"The Spooks are mulling it over, but I believe they will at least hear what the offer is. Is Mercedes up yet? Murdoc do you and Will want to show up at Mercenary Plaza when we head back for the meeting?"

He keys his earpiece and says "I'm on my way." He turns to the mages who have been helpful and sort of welcoming to him. "Brothers, it has been an honor. We'll have to do this again sometime. Next time, you can teach me how to play this frontgammon!"

If his dealings are done, Will jumps on his wingboard to head to Mercenary Plaza.
The Man in Black
William Summers

TW Infiltrado Armor:
M.D.C. by Location

Wing Board Turbo

8th Ring of Elder

William Summers
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:21 pm

The mustached mage swipes Will's card on a reader resting at the table, hands him the amulet, and the table waves in friendly fashion as Will departs on his TW Wingboard.

(Credits deducted. Item added to your gear sheet. Transaction concluded)
Augur
Admin

Postby Vheld » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:33 am

Vheld wrote:JIC: Original post: 1d20 = 15, Original post: 1d100 = 65
PER: Original post: 1d100 = 32 vs. 51%

Lore: Demons and Monsters 1d100 = 27 vs. 99%
Lore: Magic 1d100 = 87 vs. 94%
Lore: Creatures of Magic 1d100 = 1 vs. 94%
Lore: Psychics and Psionics 1d100 = 11 vs. 94%
Lore: D-Bee 1d100 = 96 vs. 64%
Mythology 1d100 = 64 vs. 89%
Research 1d100 = 98 vs. 59%

Vheld breezes into the Mages' Guild, well familiar with its environs and to his staff. He will locate any sort of mystical library on the premises, and there corner any staff member he sees. "I require everything you have on some ancient monster called Nxla, as well as any procedures or precautions that may be useful to prevent soul-stealing."

Once Vheld is satisfied he has found any information there is to find at the guild, he will meet up with the others.
Stay back!
Spell Strength +5 (victims need 17 or better to save vs. Vheld's incantations)
Automatically sense Vampires (1000 ft/100% chance to recognize on sight), Rifts (550 miles), and Ley Lines (85%, 100 miles; +10% for nexuses); Sustained (9d remaining)
PPE: 325/327 (Vheld), 83/83 (Sil), 126/126 (Sshir), 200/200 (Slithn), 118/118 (Bel'Dar), 126/126 (Brokswa). ISP: 86/90 (Medallion)
Energy Spheres (30d remaining for all)
  • 2 1000/1000 floating behind Vheld
  • 4 1000/1000 in sacks attached to Bel'Dar
  • 1 1000/1000 S'shir
  • 1 1000/1000 Brokswa
Weapon in Hand- TW Storm Staff.
Vheld
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Dodsrike » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Vheld wrote:Vheld breezes into the Mages' Guild, well familiar with its environs and to his staff. He will locate any sort of mystical library on the premises, and there corner any staff member he sees. "I require everything you have on some ancient monster called Nxla, as well as any procedures or precautions that may be useful to prevent soul-stealing."

In the Great Library, you find a young acolyte to make your demands of. He has never heard anything of what you ask for, but agrees very rapidly to see if anyone else may know anything. After about 20 minutes, he comes back with 3 books in his arms, two of which look quite ancient. "Here you are sir. According to the Chief Librarian, this is all we have on those two subjects."

The first book is written in an archaic form of Dragonese, and seems to be a catalog of something called the 'Old Ones'. In the descriptions and text, there is one whose name is different, but is said to have the power to eat souls, and gain the power of any being it ate. The second book has an account of a refugee, who fled their home dimension after a 'terrifying intelligence manifested, with legions of mindless zombies that fed upon the souls of his people.' The third book is a reference work on rune items. It has an in depth chapter about Soul Stealer's, and describes the tests undertaken to try and find a preventative measure, but after killing a thousand test subjects, they came to no real conclusive way to prevent a soul from being stolen.
Dodsrike
Game Master

Postby Vheld » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:43 am

JIC: 1d20 = 13, 1d100 = 99
PER: 1d100 = 36 vs. 51%

Dodsrike wrote:"Here you are sir. According to the Chief Librarian, this is all we have on those two subjects."
Vheld nods. "Thank you for your assistance. Dismissed." Paying the acolyte no further heed, Vheld turns to the books and begins to read them voraciously.

After some time has passed and Vheld has completed he studies, he slumps back in his chair to ponder what he has read. The threat, at least, is legitimate- if anything the Seers understated the danger. Unfortunately, these tomes offer no concrete defenses or solutions to the problem at hand. Disappointing, but not unexpected. It shall have to do- perhaps I can learn more once we have arrived at our destination.

Not wanting to alienate anyone at the guild (at least, no more than necessary) Vheld will arrange for the volumes to be returned where they belong. He will then join the rest of the teams for some "fun."

((--> Ogre's Den))
Stay back!
Spell Strength +5 (victims need 17 or better to save vs. Vheld's incantations)
Automatically sense Vampires (1000 ft/100% chance to recognize on sight), Rifts (550 miles), and Ley Lines (85%, 100 miles; +10% for nexuses); Sustained (9d remaining)
PPE: 325/327 (Vheld), 83/83 (Sil), 126/126 (Sshir), 200/200 (Slithn), 118/118 (Bel'Dar), 126/126 (Brokswa). ISP: 86/90 (Medallion)
Energy Spheres (30d remaining for all)
  • 2 1000/1000 floating behind Vheld
  • 4 1000/1000 in sacks attached to Bel'Dar
  • 1 1000/1000 S'shir
  • 1 1000/1000 Brokswa
Weapon in Hand- TW Storm Staff.
Vheld
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Return to The Mystic Quarter