The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Dominated by the mages of MercTown and shops specializing in magic gear, weapons, and accessories.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Augur » Tue May 19, 2009 1:46 pm

ImageImage

For visitors to the Mystic Quarter looking for a place to meet with friends, relax and enjoy a few beverages, the Sphinx & Unicorn is often their destination of choice. Sure, one of the services of the Collegiate Arcane is to provide a meeting place for fellow practitioners of magic, but for some, it is far too stuffy, high brow or academic to truly relax, and for those not versed in magic, it seems like an intrusion. A popular alternative, is the Sphinx & Unicorn, a rather roomy, old fashioned, English-style public house. It is decorated in carved wood, paintings and a long, hardwood bar with brass fixtures. The wooden floor is great for dancing, the stone fireplace cozy, the padded armchairs inviting, and hand-carved furniture artistic without being pretentious. Placed around the common room for decoration are assorted knickknacks like crossed swords, gnarled oaken staves, the scale from a great horned dragon, a plaque carved from the bark of a Millennium Tree, and paintings or statues of mythical creatures.

In addition to a variety of fine beers, ales and wines, the pub also serves Psi-Cola, a selection of Faerie drinks (Bubbly Wine, Burgundy Wine, Cordial, Red Wine, and Sloe Wine), and for supernatural guests, there is a drug- laced, concentrated alcohol cocktail similar to the one served at the Slaughter House Saloon in Dragcona. Prices are reasonable, with most drinks costing an average of 2-4 credits a glass or pint, 8-12 credits a pitcher, and meals prepared by Gramos's wife Tcassa ranging from 10-22 credits.
"The older I get the closer Lloyd comes to making sense." ~Uncle Servo
"Well, you have been Lloyd-pilled for years." ~ Bahb Silunt
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Augur
Admin
 
Posts: 5336
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Jezebel » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:21 am

Perception: 74% / 1d100 = 40
JIC: 1d20 = 6 / 1d100 = 72
Conditions: Critical strike on 18-20, K.O. on N20, Energy Resistance

Sonofabitch, my metabolism must be changing, either that or I'm miraculously pregnant. I could eat and Aurox and wash it down with a river. After finding the place described by Susan, Jez pulls up on her Hornet, secures it, and walks inside to find herself the first one there. Of course. I suppose I need to drill these nuggets to teach them alacrity. She walks unobtrusively to the bar, unaccustomed to such surroundings. Her usual swagger and bravado are noticeably absent. Having a seat at the bar, she smiles at whatever wait staff approaches her first. While I'm ravenous, this place is kind of unsettling, so it's best to maintain a low profile. She'll respond to any inquiry from the wait staff with a demure, "Thank you. I'll take two of whatever the house special is, and a pitcher of your strongest, tastiest drink." After the brief exchange, she'll look around the place from her seat, eyeballing the customers, staff, and decor with equal parts curiosity and apprehension.

Intelligence 78% / 1d100 = 5
Detect Concealment 80% / 1d100 = 85
Undercover Ops 40% / 1d100 = 16
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Conditions
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/1550
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)

Image
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:47 am

Perception: 1d100 = 73 / 32%
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 8 / 1d100 = 3

Susan walks into the tavern, looks around long enough to spot Jez's extremely noticeable profile, and goes over to sit next to her at the bar.

"Crazy doctor school had to stop the courses on pointless small-group military titles due to budget cuts."

When the pitcher of drink arrives, she immediately pours herself one and starts to down it in one go, but visibly stops herself and instead sips it.
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Lucille Davis » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:48 am

Perception: 1d100 = 79 / 25% (+15% for magic or machines)
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 13 / 1d100 = 62

Having received the radio communique, Lucy winds her way into The Sphinx & Unicorn, taking in some of the oddity that the Mystic Quarter has to offer. It doesn't take her long to spot Jezebel attempting to blend in to the surroundings, with Susan already in attendance. Well thank Gruumsh I'm not the last one. So many interesting places I'll have to return to!. She approaches the table and, after a moment's hesitancy, decides to saddle up next Jez at the bar, happy to have the company.

"Been quite the busy day! Oh, any idea what was in that tube?"

Following Susan's suit, she pours a drink from the pitcher and tries to relax with her new crew.
Lucille Davis / Ledger
Current Status
S.D.C.: 29/29
H.P.: 25/25
P.P.E.: 127/131
I.S.P.: 22/22
Armor M.D.C.: 42/32 (+10 to the chest and neck area)

Image
User avatar
Lucille Davis
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 11:53 am
Location: emhusband@gmail.com

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Megan Price » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:49 am

Perception: 1d100 = 93/63% (+15% when either Multi-Optic Eyes or Amplified Hearing are active, +30% when both are active)
Just In Case: 1d100 = 94/1d20 = 12
Constant Effects: Multi-Optic Eye, Sound Filtration System, Universal Head-Jack, Radio Ear
Current Effects, Other: Amplified Hearing

Megan follows the others from the hangar in, her mouth slightly agape, which is astonishing considering the sheer amount of wonder flowing through her as she looks around the room, trying not to stare. She spies two other figures there in addition to those she traveled with, one modestly taller and and far better looking than she did. Of course she didn't have cybernetics installed in her, at least not that Megan could spot at a glance. Nor did she have any scars from an explosive that was improperly set and literally blew up in her face. The other woman present was shorter than Megan, as well as slightly better looking. Her own looks were never something that Megan actively considered in the past because she's always been far more interested in trying to save the various members of her family.

Megan walks up to the two women, tense while trying to stay calm. "Excuse me, ladies?" Megan begins. "Either one of you wouldn't happen to be Jezebel Faux, would you? I'm a friend, more or less, to Fixer Jones and he had recommended me to talk to Jezebel about a job opportunity in her organization."
Megan Price
HP: 20/20
SDC: 45/45
User avatar
Megan Price
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Saffron Reynolds » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:59 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 22% (24% base)
JIC: 1d20 = 1
JIC: 1d100 = 35

Saffron walks into the tavern looks around for the group and shortly spots Jez and the others. Saffron walks up to the table ." Hello Ladies, I see everyone has ordered. I shall find wait staff to place my order. " Saffron walks away from the table and sees bartender . " Evening , I would like a sweet red wine with a fruit plate. Thank you." Saffron patiently waits for bartender to replay and hand her the glass of wine. She then walks back over the table and finds a seat to enjoy her drink and snack.
Saffron/Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 16
S.D.C.: 53

Image
User avatar
Saffron Reynolds
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:18 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Jezebel » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:51 pm

Perception: 74% / 1d100 = 88
JIC: 1d20 = 15 / 1d100 = 79
Conditions: Critical strike on 18-20, K.O. on N20, Energy Resistance
Intimidate: 88% / 1d100 = 63 (directed at Megan)
Susan Lee wrote:"Crazy doctor school had to stop the courses on pointless small-group military titles due to budget cuts."

Jez snorts as she slugs back some of whatever it was in the pitcher and very nearly blows it through her nostrils and back into the pitcher. She chokes back the liquid, coughs a bit, and then laughs out loud. "Frak, Susan, trying to drown me? A little early to aim for the number one spot, isn't it?"
Megan Price wrote:"Excuse me, ladies? Either one of you wouldn't happen to be Jezebel Faux, would you? I'm a friend, more or less, to Fixer Jones and he had recommended me to talk to Jezebel about a job opportunity in her organization."

Jez wipes the drink from her upper lip with the back of her hand, then looks her up and down as she takes down another slug of the drink. Setting the pitcher down, she asks, "Why? You owe her money?" She stares at her with only slightly less than open hostility. What a frakking abomination. Look at how she's abused and disgraced her body, the most precious gift the Lords of Cojo could ever give her. What does she do with this gift? She tears it apart and insults their gift by "improving" it with artificial gadgets and gizmos. Repulsive. Offensive. Heretical.
Saffron Reynolds wrote:"Hello Ladies, I see everyone has ordered. I shall find wait staff to place my order. Evening, I would like a sweet red wine with a fruit plate. Thank you."

Jez is momentarily distracted by Saffron's entrance and banter, but takes it in stride. Her eyes never stop scanning the cybernetic monstrosity in front of her as she pipes up to the staff. "Open a tab. I'm paying for everyone at our table and will close out before we leave." She looks at the limited space available at the bar and shakes her head. "I guess we'd better move to a table if I don't want to end up paying for the whole house." She grabs whatever the staff has already brought them and carries it with feline grace to the biggest table available in the joint before sitting down--at the head of the table, of course. Gotta make those non-verbal hierarchy signals loud and clear. The folks at the academy weren't wrong on that, Lords rest their souls.

Jez looks around and notices that Alexandra is nowhere to be seen. "Hey, Saffron, Lucy--where's the bitch? You didn't forget her behind didja? We can't just snub canids with huge expensive war machines, you know. What gives? Where she at?

Lucille Davis wrote:"Been quite the busy day! Oh, any idea what was in that tube?"

Jez smacks her forehead with the palm of her hand. "Frak me sideways! I'd almost totally forgotten about that! Thanks for the reminder, Lucy." Assuming her earlier analysis of the safety of the computer memory chip came up clean, she pops the chip into her military-grade tablet, sets the tablet on the table, and accesses the chip to check its contents. She looks around again. What the frak do I have to do to get some gods-damned service around here?
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Conditions
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/1550
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)

Image
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:07 pm

ROLLS HELD

Susan starts to respond to Jez, when the new person comes in to ask Jez questions, so she shuts her mouth without speaking. I'm not even sure you CAN be drowned...

When Saffron and Lucy arrive, Susan looks around for the puppy, but then leans forward to see what the secret message has to say.
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Megan Price » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:44 pm

(Rolls held)

Jezebel wrote:
Megan Price wrote:"Excuse me, ladies? Either one of you wouldn't happen to be Jezebel Faux, would you? I'm a friend, more or less, to Fixer Jones and he had recommended me to talk to Jezebel about a job opportunity in her organization."

Jez wipes the drink from her upper lip with the back of her hand, then looks her up and down as she takes down another slug of the drink. Setting the pitcher down, she asks, "Why? You owe her money?" She stares at her with only slightly less than open hostility. What a frakking abomination. Look at how she's abused and disgraced her body, the most precious gift the Lords of Cojo could ever give her. What does she do with this gift? She tears it apart and insults their gift by "improving" it with artificial gadgets and gizmos. Repulsive. Offensive. Heretical.


What. The. Fuck. Megan thinks to herself as Jez gives Megan what she interprets as murderous intentions. Taking in a steadying breathe, the better as to which to not allow her emotions to control her before saying "Do I perhaps look like someone who owes you money and thus is worthy of your scorn, because if so, then I apologize for having the misfortune of upsetting you and take my leave of you." Megan gives a slight incline of her head and heads for the door. As she did, Megan said over her shoulder "Fixer Jones had sent me to you because he knew that you needed competent people and believed that I would have been a good fit, but maybe he was wrong about you needing competent people."

Jezebel wrote:
Saffron Reynolds wrote:"Hello Ladies, I see everyone has ordered. I shall find wait staff to place my order. Evening, I would like a sweet red wine with a fruit plate. Thank you."

Jez is momentarily distracted by Saffron's entrance and banter, but takes it in stride. Her eyes never stop scanning the cybernetic monstrosity in front of her as she pipes up to the staff. "Open a tab. I'm paying for everyone at our table and will close out before we leave." She looks at the limited space available at the bar and shakes her head. "I guess we'd better move to a table if I don't want to end up paying for the whole house." She grabs whatever the staff has already brought them and carries it with feline grace to the biggest table available in the joint before sitting down--at the head of the table, of course. Gotta make those non-verbal hierarchy signals loud and clear. The folks at the academy weren't wrong on that, Lords rest their souls.

Jez looks around and notices that Alexandra is nowhere to be seen. "Hey, Saffron, Lucy--where's the bitch? You didn't forget her behind didja? We can't just snub canids with huge expensive war machines, you know. What gives? Where she at?


Lore: D-Bees 1d100 = 71/52% Fail

Megan is unsure of whom the woman is speaking of, but speaks up about what she had seen before leaving the Hangar. "I'm not sure what you mean by a canid, but as I was leaving the G.I.R.L.S. Hangar, there was a robot vehicle that was being piloted in through the hangar doors. It resembled a UAR-1 with a modified head to resemble a fox's head. It carries the full compliment of standard weaponry including a C-50R Rail Gun, CR-6 Medium Range Missile Launcher, CR-10 Short Range Missile Launcher, CR-20 Mini-Missile Launcher, CR-2T Laser Turrets, and a Smoke Dispenser for an Enforcer.
Megan Price
HP: 20/20
SDC: 45/45
User avatar
Megan Price
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Cordelia » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:44 am

Perception: 1d100 = 64
JIC: 1d20 = 6
JIC: 1d100 = 70

Cordelia is a bit intimidated by the Mystic Quarter. Especially so after confronting magic dwarves and a dragon and such. She timidly enters and locates the GIRLS and sits down at their table. She is hungry but hesitant to try anything yet. This is no worse than any bar back home. Relax
"Sorry Im Late, Carry on."
Cordelia/Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 18
S.D.C.: 32

Image
User avatar
Cordelia
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Alexandra » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:19 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 82% (50% base)
JIC: 1d20 = 7
JIC: 1d100 = 75


Alex slowly pushes open the door looking around the place, still trying to get her bearings. It takes her a minute to spot everyone else as she makes her way to the table and pulls up a seat. "Sorry about the wait and tardiness on my part." she looks around the table for a menu and takes one of the nearest open seats at the table.
Alexandra/Ledger
Conditions
Nightvision: 20'
Superior Sense of Smell and Hearing
H.P.: 32
S.D.C.: 77

Image
User avatar
Alexandra
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Lucille Davis » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:09 am

**rolls held**

Jezebel wrote:Jez looks around and notices that Alexandra is nowhere to be seen. "Hey, Saffron, Lucy--where's the bitch? You didn't forget her behind didja? We can't just snub canids with huge expensive war machines, you know. What gives? Where she at?


Lucy looks around momentarily puzzled, only to spot the flick of a tail out of her peripheral vision. She turns back to Jez and thumbs in Alex's direction as she makes her way in. "Found her, boss!"

Jezebel wrote:Jez smacks her forehead with the palm of her hand. "Frak me sideways! I'd almost totally forgotten about that! Thanks for the reminder, Lucy." Assuming her earlier analysis of the safety of the computer memory chip came up clean, she pops the chip into her military-grade tablet, sets the tablet on the table, and accesses the chip to check its contents. She looks around again. What the frak do I have to do to get some gods-damned service around here?


"If you want me to double check a safty scan, can do." If Jez wants the extra layer of security, Lucy will engage mentally with the tube to ensure nothing malicious is afoot [Telemechanics (10)].
Lucille Davis / Ledger
Current Status
S.D.C.: 29/29
H.P.: 25/25
P.P.E.: 127/131
I.S.P.: 22/22
Armor M.D.C.: 42/32 (+10 to the chest and neck area)

Image
User avatar
Lucille Davis
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 11:53 am
Location: emhusband@gmail.com

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Legion » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:19 am

The Food and Drink
A big, strapping young man finally makes it around to the groups table. His voice is low and strong, "Sorry about that. Got busy here suddenly. My name is Gaston, what can I get for everyone?". He scribbles down the orders some of you have already given and waits for anyone who has not yet placed an order before heading off to get those going. He brings all the drink orders back shortly after this and deftly places them before each of you and before he leaves again he asks, "Anything else I can get for you all?".

The Data Chip

Once Jezebel has inserted the chip, a window opens up showing the chip contains only 3 files, one of which is a video bearing the Wellington Industries logo as it's icon. A second file is also a video, but it uses the generic icon for video files. James will note that it is a file type typical of video security camera systems. The third file is unreadable by her simple tablet, as it is a Wilk's data file for use with their 3D laser map equipment. All scans of the files and the chip indicate they are clean, no viruses, Trojan's, or other nefarious programs are found. When Jezebel runs the video file the face of a middle aged man with iron gray hair and hard, blue eyes appears. The man is wearing a well cut suit and is seated behind a large wooden desk populated by the typical decor of an executive. Standing just behind his left shoulder is a middle aged woman with brunette hair and aqua colored eyes. She is distraught looking and has a hand resting on the man's shoulder. His expression is serious as he addresses the viewer, "Greetings to the leader and members of General Investigation, Resolution and Liberation Services. My name is Kenneth Wintrall Senior. This is my wife, Susan Wintrall.", he indicates the woman at his side and she gives a short nod. "I am the branch manager for Wellington Industries here in MercTown. We have need of your teams services. Our daughter Crystal Wellington-Wintrall is missing and has possibly been kidnapped. She was on a train headed for New Lazlo, a train that was attacked en-route by a group of bandits as it passed through the edge of the Magic Zone. Included on this data chip is a copy of the only video footage from the train that show's my daughter and the group. We believe this is a kidnapping because they appear to have targeted her car specifically and they appear to have confronted her as well. I say that we only believe it was a kidnapping because it has been 8 days since she was taken and we have received no ransom demands.".

He sighs heavily before continuing and his wife appears to be barely holding it together and about to break down and cry any moment, "Reports from the other passengers on the train are confusing, so our intelligence on the matter is spotty. What we do know is that the raider group responsible numbers about a dozen, they are well armed, and that they took my daughter with them after robbing the train itself. Their equipment included at least two power armor suits of Northern Gun manufacture, all of them were carrying medium to heavy rifles and wore full environmental body armor. There were reports of a robot combat vehicle as well, although since there is no exterior camera footage we cannot confirm this. My intelligence operatives were able to track them approximately 40 miles heading north east of the train tracks before they lost the trail. The group seems to have just disappeared right at the base of a small mountain range at that point. The map of the area is included on this data chip as well."

Mr. Wintrall himself is clearly distraught and he briefly glances up at his wife before speaking again, "We need your team to head out to where my people lost the trail, find our daughter, and bring her back to us. That or evidence of her....demise. Please, we must either get her back or at least know what has become of her. I will pay you 1.5 million credits if you are able to return her to us or at least bring us proof and news of her death. Should....should it come to the later, I will include a bonus of 500,000 credits if you can return her remains to us.", he stops to clear his throat, having almost broken down himself this time. He stares down at his desk for a moment before looking up and going on, "Furthermore, I will be willing to cover the cost of ammunition, fuel and repairs. Should you need any of these before heading out, please come to our facilities just outside MercTown as soon as possible so we can get you underway. Also, please keep a record of any ammunition and fuel expenditures while you are out in the field and I will see they are covered when you return successful. And of course, on your return I will have any of your units that sustained damage repaired here at our facilities. Although I will point out that I cannot cover any units that are a total loss and beyond repair.".

Mr. Wintrall leans back in his chair, "One last thing you should know concerning Crystal. She possess....abilities. Not psychic in nature I am told, but supernatural. People often refer to them as 'super powers'. I bring this up because we have entertained the possibility that she may have already escaped on her own and is lost out in the wilderness somewhere. This would explain why there has been no ransom demand.". Kenneth Wintrall leans forward with an earnest and desperate look on his face, "If you accept these conditions and the job or if you have questions, please come to our compound just outside the city. And thank you. That is all, have a good day."

The video closes on its own and the group is left staring at a window showing 3 icons once again.


What Are You Doing?
ImageImage
User avatar
Legion
Game Master
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:11 am
Location: Round Rock, Texas

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Jezebel » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:52 am

Perception: 74% / 1d100 = 66
JIC: 1d20 = 2 / 1d100 = 64
Conditions: Critical strike on 18-20, K.O. on N20, Energy Resistance

Legion wrote:"Sorry about that. Got busy here suddenly. My name is Gaston, what can I get for everyone?...Anything else I can get for you all?"


Jez scowls slightly, "Gaston, I want this large table covered in good food, and keep the drinks coming. I've got the bill, and don't let any of these tarts persuade you otherwise. I'll be plowing through the food and drink like a woman possessed, so keep the table clear of empty dishes, too. Stay on your toes and you can expect a hefty tip. Fail at that, and one of these dusty broads is likely to be hanging on your elbow all night. And for frak's sake, get me something strong to drink, not this bitch juice the others are having."

After viewing the video, Jez passes her tablet around the table to anyone else who wants to view it for themselves. "Well, GIRLS, looks like we have one standing job opportunity already. Susan, you and a few of the other GIRLS review the bounties on the JMC's local boards tomorrow. I'll head down to MercOps with whoever can maintain a professional air, and see what's available there. We'll swap notes in the afternoon, compare the available contracts on offer, and decide then. Fame and fortune, GIRLS, that's the focus. We gotta build a reputation for ourselves if we're to survive and prosper." And develop sufficient contacts so that I can find a way home.

Jez remembers that they've that cybernetic wretch to deal with still. I can barely bring myself to look at her, but she may have valuable skills or hardware to add to the group. Frak. "Susan, interview the bionic bitch. If you think she's up to snuff, your assessment is good by me, but I'm handing this off to you as I...I can't be objective about this one." Jez then slams down the three drinks nearest to hand. She calls out somewhat too loudly from the table "Nunnos save that boy, Gaston, but I'm ready to start devouring the patrons I'm so hungry!"
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Conditions
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/1550
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)

Image
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Alexandra » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:08 pm

She turns back to Jez and thumbs in Alex's direction as she makes her way in. "Found her, boss!"


Alex's ears perk slightly and flick back slightly, before saying another word looks up at the tall gentleman approaching the table. Her ears flicking in attention as he speaks,
"Sorry about that. Got busy here suddenly. My name is Gaston, what can I get for everyone?"

"I'd love to know what you have in the way of deserts, any unique fruits perhaps, besides what our friend already has here?" She gestures over at Saffron's plate of fruit. She looks back over at Lucy and Jez and sticks her tongue out slightly with a sheepish grin on her muzzle. She looks over at the tablet when its slid down in her direction watching the video, her ears folding back at the parents concern for their daughter. "hopefully we find her alive and safe, and can get her back to them in one piece. I'll tag along to see what bounties are available with susan and see what we can find"
Alexandra/Ledger
Conditions
Nightvision: 20'
Superior Sense of Smell and Hearing
H.P.: 32
S.D.C.: 77

Image
User avatar
Alexandra
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Lucille Davis » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:02 am

Perception: 1d100 = 13 / 25% (+15% for magic or machines)
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 12 / 1d100 = 29

While watching the video, Lucy can't help but feel for the couple. Probably ought to send papa a communique to let him know I'm alright. Wouldn't want him sniffling into a camera lens worrying about me like these two poor souls.

Jezebel wrote:After viewing the video, Jez passes her tablet around the table to anyone else who wants to view it for themselves. "Well, GIRLS, looks like we have one standing job opportunity already. Susan, you and a few of the other GIRLS review the bounties on the JMC's local boards tomorrow. I'll head down to MercOps with whoever can maintain a professional air, and see what's available there. We'll swap notes in the afternoon, compare the available contracts on offer, and decide then. Fame and fortune, GIRLS, that's the focus. We gotta build a reputation for ourselves if we're to survive and prosper."


Still feeling intimidated by Jez in all her voracious stature, Lucy puts on what she takes to be her serious face, though this mirage slips pretty quickly. "Not sure about professional air, Ms Jez, but I can come along with you - though you say 'standing job opportunity' like we got ourselves some serious options. And I don't know about the group, but golly I sure do hate to see the kind of suffering those two are displaying... Sure hope there's something we can do to ease their pain." She pauses somewhat thoughtfully. "Well, that and it sounds like their credit spends just like any other! Ain't that reason enough?"
Lucille Davis / Ledger
Current Status
S.D.C.: 29/29
H.P.: 25/25
P.P.E.: 127/131
I.S.P.: 22/22
Armor M.D.C.: 42/32 (+10 to the chest and neck area)

Image
User avatar
Lucille Davis
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 11:53 am
Location: emhusband@gmail.com

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:21 am

ROLLS HELD

Susan is distracted by Alex ordering enough that she doesn't realize Jez spoke to her for a moment. So not an obligate carnivore, omnivore with a sweet tooth just like Earth canids...

When she realizes Jez asked her a question, Susan clears her throat. "This job sounds intriguing, the man's daughter could have potentially valuable genetic material and she may be well-inclined towards us if we show her that her father is trying to kill her. I have no other way to interpret a higher payment for finding her body. Either the man is a moron or a talented actor."

Perhaps I can distract the other team members tomorrow and ensure we take this job. The specime... poor kidnapped girl needs our help.

Susan stands, about to make a comment about not needing company, when Alexandra speaks. "Thank you, Alexandra, I would welcome your company. I am not a hardened mercenary, so your insight will be valuable." PUPPY!

She then turns to Megan, "Ms. Price, please follow me for our 'interview.'" Susan walks to the bar, Megan presumably in tow. "First, can you please list your bionic enhancements and their manufacturers?"
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Cordelia » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Rolls held

Cordelia absent minded pours a drink from a close by pitcher and watches the video very intently. She is curious about the route as she herself just recently came that way from Lazlo. wow.. I am really lucky to have made it through there. She drinks the drink Gaston has left on the table. It is sweet and smooth, she likes it, but it may be a little strong for her.
"Jezebel ma'am, may I see the rest of the information?" as she reaches across the table.
"It sounds like a lot of armor to go against but we should really save that poor girl."

She takes another drink. A long hard drink. this is good.
Cordelia/Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 18
S.D.C.: 32

Image
User avatar
Cordelia
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Megan Price » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 78/63% (+15% when either Multi-Optic Eyes or Amplified Hearing are active, +30% when both are active)
Just In Case: 1d100 = 88/1d20 = 6
Constant Effects: Multi-Optic Eye, Sound Filtration System, Universal Head-Jack, Radio Ear
Current Effects, Other: Amplified Hearing

Megan is about to walk out the door of when Jez fires up the video embedded on the data chip. She turns back to look in Jez's general direction and mentally adjusts her amplified hearing to hear what the video while she zooms in using her Multi-Optic Eye to get a better look at the holographic display, if she can see it from where she is standing by the doorway. Shit, this is just like Charlie all over again! Megan sourly thinks before forcing her emotions back for the time being. Only one surveillance camera? Is that because others were disabled before the attack and this one couldn't be neutralized, or because they only had one on the entire train, which was transporting only Prosek knows how much millions of dollars worth of weapons? Either this was Amateur Hour, or someone meant for this train to be hit. And if it's been eight days since the attack and no ransom has been demanded, it's unlikely that one will be which means she was not the target of a kidnapping for ransom plot.

Hmm, this makes me wonder if daddy gave his princess a job within the company, and maybe this attack has something to do with that. A dozen or so people, at least two of which are power armor, carrying medium to heavy energy weapons and fully environmental body armor, with the possibility of one or more robot vehicles? This was not the work of some bandit raiders, but a fully organized mercenary group posing as such. I'd lay even odds that the armor was even in good condition, even if it wasn't mint. And they just disappeared at the base of a mountain? Either magic or they could have had a flying transport ready and waiting for them. Or there could also be a hidden base of operations in the area.

WAIT?!?! Did I just hear that right? He's offering 1/3 extra to return her remains if she's dead, but he's not offering a bonus for bringing her back alive? He's either cocky of the group's reputation, if they even have one that is, or is trying to low key get his daughter killed! Wait, she has powers? That could be the reason she was targeted then. Huh, now I wonder if daddy dearest has a thing against people with abilities like that, or maybe he thinks that's proof that his daughter isn't really his. And if her powers can help her escape, then why didn't she use them during the fight in the first place to evade capture? Questions and question...


Megan chews her lower lip in thought for a moment before deciding to approach Jezebel to offer her opinions on the job. "Excuse me, Ms. Faux? I realize that I am not a part of your team, but I would like to offer you my personal take on the situation, if you are willing to hear me out. If not, then I'm out of your hair." Megan waits a moment for Jez to respond in some fashion. If she acknowledges Megan in a positive manner (even if it's a mere grunt), Megan will continue speaking. "It's my belief that this was an inside job, and I'll lay out the evidence that I feel supports this idea. First off the train itself. This is a train carrying not only a VIP in the form the daughter to a higher up in a major weapon's manufacturing corporation, but I'm sure million's of dollars of weapons, way more than that if it was carrying a shipment of power armor, but Wellington isn't known to manufacture power armor or robot vehicles. The point to this is that was an obvious high value target, and therefore should have had more than just a single security camera."

"The next point that I would like to bring up is the fact that the attackers are equipped far better and trained better than your average gang of bandits. They had at least two sets of power armor, plus one or more possible robot vehicles. Just bringing the power armor on a simple raid is risky business because if it takes damage, it's going to cost significantly more to repair than mere body armor, and robot vehicles far more than even that! That doesn't mean bandit gangs wouldn't do this or haven't done this, it's just not smart in my opinion."

"Third point is the client himself. He really doesn't seem to want to see his daughter alive again in my opinion. He's offering no bonus to bring her back alive, but a bonus of one third the price that he's offering to group to bring her dead body back? I'm not saying that he had orchestrated the entire thing, because why in that case would he go about all this after having her killed? But he mentioned that his daughter possesses supernatural powers, so it is at least possible that he might not love her, or even hate her because he believes that she is not really his daughter. Actually, now that I say it out loud, I realize that this point neither bears evidence for or against the probability of this being an inside job, but it still is a disconcerting piece of information I felt needed to be brought up."

"And speaking of supernatural abilities, that brings me to my fourth point. Well, I suppose this is now my third point. Anyway, if she had abilities that could have aided her in escaping and/or evading her captors, then she almost certainly would have used those abilities in the initial fight, but by the sounds of it she didn't. And if that is the case, why not? This could mean cooperation on her part with the attackers, even if she did so against her will. And we don't even know what her abilities are, for that matter, so it's tough to take that into account just yet. But there are other things to consider about her. Does she have a position with in the company? Because if so, that could be the reason she was targeted for kidnapping. It's also entirely possible that she was targeted for kidnapping to be used in a magic ritual due to her supernatural abilities, but that doesn't sound right to me at all, because if that had been that case, I feel like that there should have been some reports of at least one of the so-called bandits using magic during the attack. I only mention it because it could be a possibility."

"My final point is the bandits disappearing act at the base of a mountain. There are three ways I can think of to accomplish this. First way is the most obvious, magic. But again I reiterate that I don't believe this to be the case for the reason stated before. Second is by flying transport, but I don't feel like this is correct either as I would assume Wintrail's scouts would have at least detected an LZ for the flying transport. Dust and debris would have been blown away from a central location or locations, plus the weight of the transports could have left impressions in the ground. It's possible that such evidence could have been overlooked by his scouts if none of them had flew over the area fora
wider view, in which case after eight days any such trace evidence of a flying transport taking off from the base of a mountain have most certainly vanished. It's also possible being at the base of a mountain could have better hidden those indications, which was the attacker's intentions. More probable than magic, but no supporting evidence has been presented, and keeping a transport that far away from an ambush site would also not be smart. The whole point of having the transport is to make a fast getaway, and the only reason I can think of to not have a transport close by is lack of room to land or park it, although with sufficient firepower room enough could be easily created for a transport to land. And the third option is that the so called bandits could have had a hidden base located where the scouts lost the trail."


Megan starts to shift her weight to leave again as Jez calls out to Susan to interview her, causing Megan to stop. Bionic Bitch? Well it would explain the cold shoulder she gave me to begin with if she is prejudiced against M&M's1. Megan walks off to bar away from the main group but doesn't sit down, letting Susan take the lead if she chooses to.

Susan Lee wrote:She then turns to Megan, "Ms. Price, please follow me for our 'interview.'" Susan walks to the bar, Megan presumably in tow. "First, can you please list your bionic enhancements and their manufacturers?"


"Yeah, sure." Megan replies. "Listen, I'd like to get something off of my chest before we get started with this. I'm not worried about your boss liking me. It's pretty evident that she has a problem of some sort. I have a guess as to what it is, but I nether care nor am worried about it. I'm not here to make friends. What I do ask, not just of her but the rest of the group as well should I be allowed on the team is to be respected, mainly for what I can do. The cybernetics and bionics were installed on me after a lesson in demolitions blew up in my face. The eye is a Wilk's Six in One Multi-Optics Eye, and then the rest are all Norther Gun brand, which are Cyber Ears with Amplified Hearing and Sound Filtration, Universal Headjack and Ear Implant with a built in walkie-talkie system, then there's my arm which is fitted with a grapnel launcher and hidden particle beam cannon with an e-clip port, and that sums it up. What other questions do you got?"

1M&M is a slang term used to say Modified Men or sometimes Machine Men and is used to indicate the person is either chemically modified, such as Juicers, or through cybernetic enhancements
Last edited by Megan Price on Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Megan Price
HP: 20/20
SDC: 45/45
User avatar
Megan Price
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Lucille Davis » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:56 am

**rolls held**

Lucy listens to Megan's carful weaving of the minute details into a full blown conspiracy - a high value target, a well-equiped team, a dubious client, payment for remains, unnamed supernatural abilities, a hidden base of operations - all pointing to an inside job. "Well, by Gruumsh's good eye, you can't get better on the local vids these days." Lucy muses somewhat to herself as she sips wide-eyed from her beverage. All that intrigue from a little ol' video. This lady is either a soothsayer or a psycho. Can't wait to find out which!

Lucy watches for Jez's reaction. Whichever way this blows over, seems like I might learn something from these GIRLS.
Lucille Davis / Ledger
Current Status
S.D.C.: 29/29
H.P.: 25/25
P.P.E.: 127/131
I.S.P.: 22/22
Armor M.D.C.: 42/32 (+10 to the chest and neck area)

Image
User avatar
Lucille Davis
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 11:53 am
Location: emhusband@gmail.com

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:30 pm

ROLLS HELD

Susan tries to get the bartender's attention, then just pulls a pen and paper from her pocket and pretends to take notes.

As Megan lists her 'enhancements' Susan wonders how she can use her grappling hook from inside armor.

"Fairly standard replacement parts, if you're not willing to spend on the meat versions. Understood. Headjacks are very useful."

And everything else you had stuck in you can be duplicated by a helmet. Inefficient.

Susan pauses at Megan's television-ready speech about not being here to make friends. "That's unfortunate. We just came back from a job where we made a lot of friends. I'll have to introduce you to Captain Cullen if we go back out that way. Commander Faux is outspoken, but my experience has been that she is very fair., as well as courageous. She has her eccentricities, but she is not from this planet, so is likely still adjusting."

Susan leans closer to Megan. "She's your classic 'gruff loner with a heart of gold.' Also, I have seen her punch hypertensile materials hard enough to dent them, which is an advantage in this line of work, I believe."

Susan looks down at her notes again. "One last question - sort of a... verbal essay. Why did it take you so many words to say the same thing I said in two sentences?"

No matter what Megan says, Susan smiles widely and shakes her hand. "Wonderful! This is all part of our personality testing. Thank you, and welcome aboard! I believe you're in for a life of glamour and excitement!"
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Megan Price » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:47 pm

*Rolls Held*

Susan Lee wrote:Susan pauses at Megan's television-ready speech about not being here to make friends. "That's unfortunate. We just came back from a job where we made a lot of friends. I'll have to introduce you to Captain Cullen if we go back out that way. Commander Faux is outspoken, but my experience has been that she is very fair., as well as courageous. She has her eccentricities, but she is not from this planet, so is likely still adjusting."

Susan leans closer to Megan. "She's your classic 'gruff loner with a heart of gold.' Also, I have seen her punch hypertensile materials hard enough to dent them, which is an advantage in this line of work, I believe."


Megan frowns as she contemplates a better way of saying exactly what she had meant then tells Susan "While I did say that I am not here to make friends, perhaps I should clarify just what I meant by that. I'm here applying for a job, not to be besties with someone. Now if I happen to make friends with a group of people that I happen to work with, all the better, but I am here to do a job." Megan listens patiently when Susan explains about Jez then says "That is understandable, and I am willing to stay armored up around her so she doesn't have to see my deformities that clearly make her uncomfortable. And I get what it's like to be the loner, because truth be told I'm a bit of one myself, but that could be a byproduct of my upbringing and training as much as anything else. And don't worry, I'm not going to try and bond with her over the long wolf thing."

Susan Lee wrote:Susan looks down at her notes again. "One last question - sort of a... verbal essay. Why did it take you so many words to say the same thing I said in two sentences?"

No matter what Megan says, Susan smiles widely and shakes her hand. "Wonderful! This is all part of our personality testing. Thank you, and welcome aboard! I believe you're in for a life of glamour and excitement!"


"Now would you be talking about my whole speech, or specifically about my third point, which was the only thing that you had made mention of? To be honest, I really don't think that the father is behind her kidnapping because why bother hiring us to do the job? That would basically mean that he's hiring us to capture him. It just doesn't make sense. Now if you are referring to my whole speech, it's because I want Jez to see that I am not one to let small details slip past me easily." Megan says to Susan. When Susan welcomes Megan to the group, Megan will stand up and offer a hand to Susan for a firm hand shake. "Thank you. Now I suppose there will be some paperwork for me to fill out?"
Megan Price
HP: 20/20
SDC: 45/45
User avatar
Megan Price
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Jezebel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:23 pm

(rolls carried)
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88% / 1d100 = 5 (speechifying)

Jez is on her last nerve from all the chatter filling the place and the lack of hard drinking. And where's my frakking food, godsdamnit! "GASTON! FOOD! LINE UP THE SHOTS! YOUR STRONGEST STUFF!" As she slips her ever-present goggles around down to around her neck, she squints as she slowly, cautiously looks to see if the room is too bright to go without them (sixty watts is painfully bright) before looking around at those gathered. She gets up and stands in her seat before looking down the length of her long, lithe frame at all of them. "TONIGHT WE REVEL FOR TOMORROW WE MAY DIE!" She slams down whatever drink is close at hand as if to both punctuate the end of her impromptu speech, and to encourage everyone else to frakking party. Gods, I miss my people. My fleet.
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Conditions
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/1550
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)

Image
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:23 pm

ROLLS HELD

Susan shrugs, "Hiring someone you think is incompetent as cover is a potential strategy. I'm keeping an open mind. I don't think you need to stay covered around the Commander. Broadening her horizons is of value."

Megan asks about paperwork just before Jez's speech and when Jez starts yelling at Gaston, Susan says, "It appears there is no paperwork."

Susan planned on slipping out early and not drinking that much, but Jez's speech is so rousing that she snaps out an involuntary "Aye aye, Commander," and downs two shots in short order, joining in on the party. Quietly.
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby James Miller » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Perception: 95% | 1d100 = 29
JIC: 1d20 = 131d100 = 40

Prowl 83%| 1d100 = 45 Success
Intelligence 75%| 1d100 = 1 Success
Forgery 68%| 1d100 = 2 Success
Computer Operation 93%| 1d100 = 74 Success
Computer Hacking 83%| 1d100 = 64 Success
I.D. Undercover Agent 83%| 1d100 = 44 Success
Electronic Countermeasures 68%| 1d100 = 81 Fail
Surveillance Systems 68%| 1d100 = 50Success

James walks into the bar as quietly as he can and attempts to inconspicuously take a seat at the table. Having missed almost all of the conversation at the table, James just catches Jez's rant as he entered the bar. Reveling hey? Not really my bag. No one needs to see the real pissed off angry old man that I am. I'll stay in control and maybe gather some useful info in the process.

James drinks water and picks at the food when it's brought to the table. He makes polite conversation with everyone and does his best to learn what can about all of his teammates. When people start talking about some video James asks if he can view it. When he gets his chance to take a look he goes through the video and the chip with a fine tooth comb, looking for deleted data or altered information. If he can pull any hidden data related to the owner of the chip he will, even if it doesn't apply to this mission.

Once he's done he sits back and continues to watch his team in their revels. Smiling at their fun and sliding back into that role of, "The Responsible One" that he always assumed with his old team. As he watches he decides to share one thought that jumped into his head. Waiting for a lull in the conversation James will jump in with a comical look on his face, "So it's a damn good idea Kat isn't seeing this offer. There is no way we could keep her from killing this girl if we did take the job and found her alive. That extra 500k would be too tempting to her." Still, whould Kat be wrong? 500k is 500k.
James
Ledger
Conditions
NE-CW20 Camouflage Variable Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
• Helmet: 40/40
• Arms: 20/20, 20/20
• Legs: 30/30, 30/30
• Main Body: 80/80
Modifiers: -5% to acrobatics/gymnastics, -20% for others to detect, +5% to prowl skill

Image
User avatar
James Miller
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:46 pm

ROLLS HELD

James points out the suspicious reward and Susan responds, "There is an ongoing debate as to whether the man is a moron, this is a setup to off the girl using 'bandits' and we're the incompetents who will heroically return her remains, or we have a bad enough reputation that he thinks we may eliminate her ourselves."

She pauses. "Also, no, I do not wish to hear about dragons. In case you were wondering."
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Megan Price » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:38 pm

*Rolls Held*

Megan watches her new boss with amusement before turning to Susan and asking "Is she often like this?"

She listens to Susan's explanations to her own theories on the mission, to which Megan replies "It is true that hiring an incompetent group to fail and thus inevitably help cover the employer's crimes up is certainly one possibility, but they need to have an reputation for being incompetent. Expecting a newly formed group that has been operating as mercs for less than an couple of months to be incompetent is just asking for trouble, especially given the fact that word on the street is that Fixer Jones owes the group a favor. I'm not saying it couldn't be a possibility, but rather it seems unlikely."

When Megan notices there is a guy sitting among the women, she asks Susan "I thought this was an all female group? Wait a second, if I remember correctly, Fixer said there was a single guy that was in the outfit, and I take it that is him?"

Megan has never been one to indulge in drinking alcohol, mainly because of the fact that she always wanted to be ready to act on any information she received on any of her missing family members, but she has tasted alcohol a couple of times before and knows that she likes hard ciders, particularly cherry if there is any available. If there are no ciders available, then she will instead drink water as she doesn't trust herself enough to experiment drinking different types of alcohol among a group of strangers. If a meat and cheese platter is available, she will snack on cheeses, meats, and crackers off of that. When James makes the comment about Kat, she's about to laugh at the joke until half a moment later she realizes that it wasn't a joke. Leaning over to Susan again, Megan will ask her "I had heard that Kat was one of the founding members of the group, so do you know where she is?"
Megan Price
HP: 20/20
SDC: 45/45
User avatar
Megan Price
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:45 am

ROLLS HELD

Susan shrugs about Jez. "She kind of see-saws between 'drill sergeant' and 'troubled, hard-drinking person.' It's very comfortable and exactly what I expected from a mercenary captain." From trid shows...

Flicking her eyes towards Cordelia, she continues, "Incompetence... I, personally, am new to this kind of work. I have no intention of having any reputation except as a GENIUS." Susan clears her throat. "Hrm. Uh, but yes it would be a gamble. I imagine there are many gamblers in this city."

After Susan talks to James and Megan asks about him. "Oh, yes, that's James. We don't discriminate based on sex. I don't think? In any case, don't let him talk to you about dragons. There is a dragon who showed him sexual interest and I suspect they will fornicate soon. Dragons can shapeshift. Any conversation he starts about them can only end badly for the listener."

Susan takes a long pull from her drink. "Uh... I think Kat fell down a pit? I don't... honestly remember. It was a strange day. She definitely accidentally shot a man with a plasma rifle." Susan is clearly upset about that last part.

Megan seems to at least possess intellectual curiosity. Perhaps she doesn't deserve to meet Captain Cullen.
Last edited by Susan Lee on Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Megan Price » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:53 pm

Susan Lee wrote:ROLLS HELD

Susan shrugs about Jez. "She kind of see-saws between 'drill sergeant' and 'troubled, hard-drinking person.' It's very comfortable and exactly what I expected from a mercenary captain." From trid shows...


Great, I get to be led by a bi-polar bitch who is prejudiced against me due to my cybernetic implants. YAY, not!

Susan Lee wrote:Flicking her eyes towards Cordelia, she continues, "Incompetence... I, personally, am new to this kind of work. I have no intention of having any reputation except as a GENIUS." Susan clears her throat. "Hrm. Uh, but yes it would be a gamble. I imagine there are many gamblers in this city."


If arrogance were intelligence, then yes my dear, you have a reputation for genius...

Susan Lee wrote:After Susan talks to James and Megan asks about him. "Oh, yes, that's James. We don't discriminate based on sex. I don't think? In any case, don't let him talk to you about dragons. There is a dragon who showed him sexual interest and I suspect they will fornicate soon. Dragons can shapeshift. Any conversation he starts about them can only end badly for the listener."


This bit of information really piques Megan's interest. She remembers Susan saying something about a dragon a few moments ago, but brushed that off initially as some code word or nickname for a person. "Really? A dragon?" Megan contemplates sex with a unimaginably powerful creature of legend that can take any shape it wishes before asking Susan with a devilish smirk "So does he get to be the innie or the outie?"

Susan Lee wrote:Susan takes a long pull from her drink. "Uh... I think Kat fell down a pit? I don't... honestly remember. It was a strange day. She definitely accidentally shot a man with a plasma rifle." Susan is clearly upset about that last part.


"She... fell down... a pit..." Megan repeats, almost incredulously. "Well, thankfully for me, I have my handy grappling launcher should that ever happen to me when I am not in my power armor. Wait, did she accidentally shoot a man with a plasma rifle, or she 'accidentally' shot a man with a plasma rifle?" Megan asks Susan, using air quotations with the second time saying the word accidentally. I mean, I had always heard the rumors about her, but I could never be to sure what was legit and what wasn't. But to hear the personal stories from the people that were there by her side when they happened and those stories match some of the rumors on the streets of MercTown, wow! Just wow!
Megan Price
HP: 20/20
SDC: 45/45
User avatar
Megan Price
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Alexandra » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:55 pm

"TONIGHT WE REVEL FOR TOMORROW WE MAY DIE!" [


Alex picks up one of the glasses and sniffs at it, savoring the notes that come off the drink. Lifting the glass and downing half of it before taking a moment to breath, Raising her glass to Jez "Definitely a lot different then the mead i had over at Fixers" She turns up the glass finishing it off completely.

She looks over her sensitive ears picking up the sound of someone else pulling up a chair at the table, turning her head in the direction of the noise.

James drinks water and picks at the food when it's brought to the table. He makes polite conversation with everyone and does his best to learn what can about all of his teammates.
"Greetings, I'm Alexandra new to this group of Ladies, who are you?" She looks over at the drinks and pour another glass and grabs some more fruit wondering how it would pair or if it would be better to wait and see what other tasty drinks are offered that might pair a bit better. Going with her second choice taking one of the pieces of fruit and dropping it in one of the shot glasses and downing it with everyone else drinking.
Alexandra/Ledger
Conditions
Nightvision: 20'
Superior Sense of Smell and Hearing
H.P.: 32
S.D.C.: 77

Image
User avatar
Alexandra
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Lucille Davis » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:16 am

**rolls held**

Jezebel wrote:She gets up and stands in her seat before looking down the length of her long, lithe frame at all of them. "TONIGHT WE REVEL FOR TOMORROW WE MAY DIE!" She slams down whatever drink is close at hand as if to both punctuate the end of her impromptu speech, and to encourage everyone else to frakking party. Gods, I miss my people. My fleet.


Lucille is jostled around a bit as Jez rises and stands to survey her team - and then goes wide eyed as her drink is pulled from her hand and downed in a single gulp by their fearless, and now somewhat terrifying, leader. Sighing somewhat, she angles for the next barkeep to come around and get a new glass.

As the team carries on drinking, the discussion between Megan and Susan - that the group is being hired to incompetently fail and thus cover up the grand conspiracy - worries her. Oh brillianav, I've managed to potentially get hired by the incompetent group on my first day. Serves me right for not shopping around. I'm blaming Saffron and all her feminine wiles if this thing goes tits up... where did that red bombshell get off to in this place... Clearing her head from thoughts of Saffron she gets back to drinking, but can't shake a now ominous feeling. "Hey boss - all for the partying - going to get right down to it in just a second. But, do... do you think we're being played?"
Lucille Davis / Ledger
Current Status
S.D.C.: 29/29
H.P.: 25/25
P.P.E.: 127/131
I.S.P.: 22/22
Armor M.D.C.: 42/32 (+10 to the chest and neck area)

Image
User avatar
Lucille Davis
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 11:53 am
Location: emhusband@gmail.com

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby James Miller » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:39 am

...rolls held

James listens intently to all the conversation as he goes through the chip and all the video.

Susan Lee wrote:"There is an ongoing debate as to whether the man is a moron, this is a setup to off the girl using 'bandits' and we're the incompetents who will heroically return her remains, or we have a bad enough reputation that he thinks we may eliminate her ourselves."


The spy looks up from his tinkering to answer Susan, "I have more of a feeling that he's an idiot but it really could go either way. Let's hope for idiot, I am trying to prove that theory now. Hopefully, he left something useful on this chip."

Susan Lee wrote:She pauses. "Also, no, I do not wish to hear about dragons. In case you were wondering."


James just lowers his head and shakes it continuing to work. Oh god, this shit again. Why's it always got to be me, this world really hates me. Maybe everyone will just ignore the comment.

Megan Price wrote: "I thought this was an all female group? Wait a second, if I remember correctly, Fixer said there was a single guy that was in the outfit, and I take it that is him?"


Why is she talking to Susan about me as if I'm not even here? Who is this lady?

James smiles toward Megan before putting down his work and holding out a hand, "Yes, I am James Miller, I like to sneak around and steal shit where I can. I was here when we first got started and then..." James trails off as he tires to remember what actually did happen to him the last few days before continuing, "I had a little detour and met the GIRLS mid mission."

Susan Lee wrote:"Oh, yes, that's James. We don't discriminate based on sex. I don't think? In any case, don't let him talk to you about dragons. There is a dragon who showed him sexual interest and I suspect they will fornicate soon. Dragons can shapeshift. Any conversation he starts about them can only end badly for the listener."


So much for everyone letting it go.

The spy smiles at the comment but then very calmly adds, "None of that is accurate. There was a dragon, it had been captured and I was just nice. There was no sexual overtone to our interaction but being nice paid off and now we have a dragon that owes us a favor."

Alexandra wrote:"Greetings, I'm Alexandra new to this group of Ladies, who are you?"

James smiles polity and extends a hand in greeting, "My name is James Miller, its nice to have you aboard."
James
Ledger
Conditions
NE-CW20 Camouflage Variable Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
• Helmet: 40/40
• Arms: 20/20, 20/20
• Legs: 30/30, 30/30
• Main Body: 80/80
Modifiers: -5% to acrobatics/gymnastics, -20% for others to detect, +5% to prowl skill

Image
User avatar
James Miller
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:18 am

ROLLS HELD

Talkin' to Megan!

Megan Price wrote:This bit of information really piques Megan's interest. She remembers Susan saying something about a dragon a few moments ago, but brushed that off initially as some code word or nickname for a person. "Really? A dragon?" Megan contemplates sex with a unimaginably powerful creature of legend that can take any shape it wishes before asking Susan with a devilish smirk "So does he get to be the innie or the outie?"


Susan looks at Megan for a long, unblinking second. "Yes, this is exactly why I have no intention of having this conversation with James. It all sounds very messy. And unnecessary."

Susan pauses, looks away. "They dragon presented as female, so perhaps that's a clue, but as I said to one of the other team members earlier, I'm not a herpetologist, so this all has limited interest for me."

Megan Price wrote:"She... fell down... a pit..." Megan repeats, almost incredulously. "Well, thankfully for me, I have my handy grappling launcher should that ever happen to me when I am not in my power armor. Wait, did she accidentally shoot a man with a plasma rifle, or she 'accidentally' shot a man with a plasma rifle?" Megan asks Susan, using air quotations with the second time saying the word accidentally.


Susan nods enthusiastically. "Yes! I'm fairly certain she fell down a pit! And then we couldn't find her." Not that I would have looked very hard.

Susan makes air quotes right back at Megan. "Probably more of that. We were rescuing people who had been kidnapped and enslaved. We came across some and Kat shouted 'Don't run, or I'll shoot.' Terrified, one man tried to run. And suddenly his leg was taken off with a plasma blast. It may be that she didn't know how weapons work or much about human anatomy. Entertainment makes leg-shots look safe, they are NOT. In any case, whether through negligence or malice, that man will never forget her."

"Many of our team mates wandered off after the battle, clearly scarred by the depravity they had seen."

Susan looks over at Cordelia, James and Jez before continuing.

"Thank science for boing-go!"

Jawin' with James and the Group!

James and Lucy both seem to have valuable input on the potential motivations of the prospective employer, which gets Susan thinking. "There seems to be no consensus on why this man is offering extra money for his daughter's corpse. Perhaps, if we take the job, we should set up some kind of betting pool. With appropriately calculated odds. Something with categories along the lines of Moron/Daughter is Already Dead/Hoping We'd Do It. We can get a bulletin board!"

Susan listens quietly to James trying to explain, then says. "Fun Fact - dragons can teleport. They could be anywhere. In this bar. In your room. At night. Unrelated. Just an interesting tidbit."

An Aside with Alexandra

After a little while, Susan stands up and heads towards the bar. "I'm going to see what all they have in stock. Alexandra, please come with me and tell me the latest news from Lazlo!"

Presuming Alexandra follows, Susan takes a moment to examine the bottles behind the bar. "So how long have you been out of the city? I left a few weeks ago, personally, but it feels like much longer."
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Megan Price » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:10 pm

*Rolls Held*

Alexandra wrote:Alex picks up one of the glasses and sniffs at it, savoring the notes that come off the drink. Lifting the glass and downing half of it before taking a moment to breath, Raising her glass to Jez "Definitely a lot different then the mead i had over at Fixers" She turns up the glass finishing it off completely.


"I had the opportunity to go with my uncle to Fixer's place one night and taste some ale that he personally makes. Liquid gold, I'm telling you! Uncle Buck asked him if he had any plans on distributing it, he told my uncle no, mainly because the secret ingredient he uses is hard to find and very expensive. I'm Megan Price, by the way." Megan tells Alexandra, extending a hand in a greeting.

James Miller wrote:James smiles toward Megan before putting down his work and holding out a hand, "Yes, I am James Miller, I like to sneak around and steal shit where I can. I was here when we first got started and then..." James trails off as he tires to remember what actually did happen to him the last few days before continuing, "I had a little detour and met the GIRLS mid mission."


"Megan Price, professional gun for hire. Pleased to meet you." Megan says to James as she extends a hand to shake his. "I assume the detour was not of your choice?"

James Miller wrote:The spy smiles at the comment but then very calmly adds, "None of that is accurate. There was a dragon, it had been captured and I was just nice. There was no sexual overtone to our interaction but being nice paid off and now we have a dragon that owes us a favor."


"Being nice to someone can lead to sex, but it's probably just as well that it didn't in this case, because I've heard that dragons treat their lovers like a part of their treasure horde, i.e. hidden and locked away in a secure location. But a dragon that owes you a favor? Like just how big a favor? Any limitations on it?" Megan says, asking follow up questions.

Susan Lee wrote:Susan nods enthusiastically. "Yes! I'm fairly certain she fell down a pit! And then we couldn't find her." Not that I would have looked very hard.

Susan makes air quotes right back at Megan. "Probably more of that. We were rescuing people who had been kidnapped and enslaved. We came across some and Kat shouted 'Don't run, or I'll shoot.' Terrified, one man tried to run. And suddenly his leg was taken off with a plasma blast. It may be that she didn't know how weapons work or much about human anatomy. Entertainment makes leg-shots look safe, they are NOT. In any case, whether through negligence or malice, that man will never forget her."

"Many of our team mates wandered off after the battle, clearly scarred by the depravity they had seen."

Susan looks over at Cordelia, James and Jez before continuing.

"Thank science for boing-go!"


So it would seem that Kat's reputation is as ruthless she's made out to be... Megan thinks to herself as Susan recounts the story of the incident. They lost half of the group on the last mission due to the shock of what they had just seen? Or is she just mixing causation with correlation? Megan wonders. Oh great! A freaking Drug Addict!

Susan Lee wrote:Susan listens quietly to James trying to explain, then says. "Fun Fact - dragons can teleport. They could be anywhere. In this bar. In your room. At night. Unrelated. Just an interesting tidbit."


"You know, for someone who so loudly said they had no wish to talk about dragons, you certainly seem to be talking about them a lot..."Megan said to Susan.
Megan Price
HP: 20/20
SDC: 45/45
User avatar
Megan Price
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:47 am

ROLLS HELD

Waiting for Alexandra to join her, Susan says to Megan, "It's alright for us to talk about dragons. It's James talking about them that has a significant chance of going poorly."

She then almost says And I'm not being loud - YOU"RE BEING LOUD, but manages to barely stop herself.
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Legion » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:46 pm

G.I.R.L.S.

Gaston returns several times over the course of 20 minutes, the final time he drops off everyone's meals. "Can I get you ladies anything else?", he asks, apparently missing that James has joined the table. Everything tastes is as good as it smells, which is to say delicious. Drinks are promptly topped off by Gaston as the evening goes by.

James

Shortly after finishing his 3rd drink of the evening, James feels the need to utilize the facilities. Afterwards, as he is sitting down, he senses someone following him. The person in question wasn't attempting to hide his presence from James apparently, as the man in question suddenly grabs an empty chair from nearby and sits down in close to James. This man is human, mid-30s, brown hair and eyes, and both he and his clothing are non-de script as he has on a generic set of military fatigues in desert tan. He leans forward and urgently begins to whisper, his voice tense and only just loud enough for James to hear him, "Trevor DeCosca, I have an urgent matter that needs your...attention. Plane and simple, Patricia Lyboc must die or we are all dead...". He opens his mouth to say more, but an instant later his eyes go wide in shock. He glances down and James notices at the same time a small red patch blossoming in his battle dress shirt....directly over his heart. His mouth works open and closed a few times, but instead of words, blood pours out of his mouth. He slumps forward onto the table, dead.


WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
ImageImage
User avatar
Legion
Game Master
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:11 am
Location: Round Rock, Texas

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Megan Price » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:00 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 63/63% Pass (Both Amplified Hearing and Multi-Optic Eyes are Active)(+15% when either Multi-Optic Eyes or Amplified Hearing are active, +30% when both are active)
Just In Case: 1d100 = 86/1d20 = 6
Constant Effects: Multi-Optic Eye, Sound Filtration System, Universal Head-Jack, Radio Ear
Current Effects, Other: Amplified Hearing
Initiative: 1d20+7 = 22

Possible relevant skill checks:
Detect Ambush 1d100 = 35/57%
Tracking: People 1d100 = 73/52%
Prowl 1d100 = 44/42%
Climbing/Rappelling 1d100 = 92/57%

SHIT!!! Megan thinks to herself before shouting "We've got a shooter!" as her vision immediately snaps to the general direction that the shot came from, given that they were all within the bar when the shot happened which means that the shot had to come through either a window or the door (not sure where Megan was sitting in relationship to those at the time of the shot). She changes her vision over to Infrared as she searches for familiar heat signatures of recently fired weapons (hot barrels, etc.) as she tunes her Amplified Hearing to try and listen for sounds of someone running away. Drawing her Vibro-Sword and Vibro-Knife, she crouches at the edge of the opening she suspects that the shot came through and tries to see if she can find the shooter, zooming in with her cybernetic eye for a better look.

If she spots the shooter, she will describe what he or she looks like to Jez, then chase them down, minimizing her exposure as she thinks to herself Shit, this is fucking insane! Here I am running down a gunman while I am not wearing any fucking body armor! Megan will use her Grapnel Launcher to help her climb any buildings that might be needed.
Last edited by Megan Price on Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Megan Price
HP: 20/20
SDC: 45/45
User avatar
Megan Price
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Jezebel » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:29 am

Perception: 74% / 1d100 = 28
JIC: 1d20 = 12 / 1d100 = 31
Conditions: Critical strike on 18-20, K.O. on N20, Energy Resistance

Jez wrinkles her nose at Gaston, her red eyes full of mischief. "Just keep it coming, Gaston, and faster. I, for one, want more food. Nothing that requires utensils, please. And for frak's sake, something stronger to drink. I'm not some delicate flower fresh from secondary school. Bring me the hard stuff, the hardest you got." Jez keeps pounding down food & drink as fast as biology and discourse will allow. These periodic states of voracious appetite are somewhat disturbing to her. By Volund's hammer, my calves and thighs ache, maybe my body's just recuperating calories from our last engagement? She looks to Susan for a moment between mouthfuls of finger foods. "Susan, you have any idea why I'm so damn hungry? I'm pretty sure I don't have a parasite. At least, I don't feel like I do."
Legion wrote:He opens his mouth to say more, but an instant later his eyes go wide in shock. He glances down and James notices at the same time a small red patch blossoming in his battle dress shirt...directly over his heart. His mouth works open and closed a few times, but instead of words, blood pours out of his mouth. He slumps forward onto the table, dead.

Standing up in her seat, Jez draws her GAW 10mm Colt Delta Elite pistols from the harness worn under her trenchcoat, and spins to face where the victim was facing. She finishes chewing a mouthful of food and swallows, her eyes panning the windows and exterior as she steps over people's heads, using tabletops and the backs of chairs to quick-step across the tavern towards the window from which she figures the shot to have come. She stays in motion. "Gaston, call the Defenders, now!"
Sense of Balance 98% / 1d100 = 20 (for the above feat of grace)

Initiative (+5 added): 1d20+5 = 8
Non-Combat Action: Jez draws her GAW 10mm Colt Delta Elite pistols from her harness
Actions 1-10: Reserved for defensive actions
Parries (+10 included):
1d20+10 = 14, 1d20+10 = 14, 1d20+10 = 18, 1d20+10 = 25, 1d20+10 = 21, 1d20+10 = 17, 1d20+10 = 20, 1d20+10 = 25, 1d20+10 = 24, 1d20+10 = 30
Auto-Dodges (+9 included):
1d20+9 = 26, 1d20+9 = 13, 1d20+9 = 20, 1d20+9 = 15, 1d20+9 = 25, 1d20+9 = 15, 1d20+9 = 14, 1d20+9 = 10, 1d20+9 = 14, 1d20+9 = 24
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Conditions
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/1550
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)

Image
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:47 am

Perception: 1d100 = 56 / 32%
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 12 / 1d100 = 93

Susan looks Jez up and down. "You don't appear different, but I believe you were experiencing some kind of metabolic voracity due to genetic alteration before we left on the mission. Perhaps we should do another checkup and see what..."

She stops talking as blood pours out of the mouth of the man talking to James.

Initiative: 1d20 = 17

Action 1: Sit stunned.
Actions 2 and 3: Grab the man and lower him to the ground.
Actions the Rest: Do a medical examination and start immediate battlefield medicine.

Medical Doctor (to make an initial diagnosis): 1d100 = 4 / 83%
Field Surgery (to get him stable): 1d100 = 73 / 59%
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby James Miller » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:06 pm

...rolls held

Trevor DeCosca!!

Time stops for James and the events taking place in the room are clouded and invisible at the mention of that name. James is taken back to a very distant time in his past, the last time he had ever hear his real name spoken out loud. For the fist time since he learned how to mask his emotional response, James' mask cracks and for a brief moment bewilderment followed with fear is clearly written on his face. A cold knife is pressed itself deep inside his brain as the Spy loses focus on the thing most important to him, his carefully cultivated training. His ability to be someone is isn't has always been his lifeline keeping him ever focused. As it slips away so does James' ability to rationally assess and react to the situation he now faces. He has no inner monologue, no conscious, and no thought in his mind but those two words. Without thinking, James calmly grips a knife from the table and fully intends to stab the man that said the words but is surprised to see that the man is on the floor with Susan examining him. With the knife still partially hidden at his side, James slides down beside him and without a word shoves it into the mans throat. James has killed men before in this way and does a very thorough job of slicing into the man's flesh. As he feels the blade scratch against the man's spine, James says in a deadpan emotionless voice, "Is he dead?" He continues to move the knife back and forth repeating those words over and over.

James will continue to saw at the spine unless someone grabs him and is able to snap him out of his comatose state. At that point he will drop the knife and snap back into reality looking around as if this is his first time seeing the carnage around him.
James
Ledger
Conditions
NE-CW20 Camouflage Variable Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
• Helmet: 40/40
• Arms: 20/20, 20/20
• Legs: 30/30, 30/30
• Main Body: 80/80
Modifiers: -5% to acrobatics/gymnastics, -20% for others to detect, +5% to prowl skill

Image
User avatar
James Miller
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:01 pm

ROLLS HELD

Susan stares at James in shock.



And then she pops a boing go.

Click click click

”Yes, James, he is very definitely dead. But why is he dead. Speak quickly. He spewed blood before you stabbed him.”
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Lucille Davis » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:23 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 39 / 25% (+15% for magic or machines)
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 2 / 1d100 = 69

The bartender finally returns with a drink and Lucy digs in to the plate in front of her, enjoying her first savory meal in MercTown. Ah... now this is the life. Good drink. Good food. Got a job lined up and I'm not living on the streets. Perfect. Living the dream. Free from the dregs of the workroom floor. I mean, come on, what was I doing there? This. This is where I'm suppose to be. This is what I'm suppose to be doing. Nothing could be... Out of the corner of Lucy's eye the unmistakable slumb of a head and ... thunk. Head down, blood pooling. "Um, what the hell?" she says sloppily out of the corner of a half-filled mouth.

Her vision darkens. Danger. The sense floats from some deep depth of Lucy's unconscious. She reflexively moves her hands in a mudra over the filaments spun through her jumpsuit as her mouth utters the syllables by rote from years of practice, releasing and structuring a fraction of her power into a protective field. Her normally awkward movements propel her towards Susan and James without conscious thought where she then, upon seeing James sawing away at what seems to be a not so much alive man, allows her eyes to go just slightly wide, a hint of recognition, before slapping him. "Snap out of it!"

Initiative: 1d20 = 18

Action 1: Lost to her mental fog
Action 2: Cast Armor of Ithan (10) through her jacket
Action 3: Walk calmly over to Susan and James
Action 4: Slap James
Lucille Davis / Ledger
Current Status
S.D.C.: 29/29
H.P.: 25/25
P.P.E.: 127/131
I.S.P.: 22/22
Armor M.D.C.: 42/32 (+10 to the chest and neck area)

Image
User avatar
Lucille Davis
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 11:53 am
Location: emhusband@gmail.com

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Cordelia » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 37
JIC: 1d20 = 19
JIC: 1d100 = 32


Cordelia drinks a little more. It feels good. She has not been paying attention and poured some of whatever Jez is drinking. She gets a little fuzzy and forgets all about the idea of the mission and what ever is going on.

" IS IT HOT IN HERE. Damn Im hot.". As she begins to lose her ability to control her volume and her inhibitions. She begins to sip on the drink and starts eyeing Gaston as her brings more food and drinks. More importantly when he walks away. purrrr. Cordelia barely notices the man die in the tavern. When she finally notices she does a double take.
I should have stayed home She slowly and quietly slides under the table to hide. "Everybody wait... I haven't put my new forcefield on yet." She clumsily fumbles with her new items trying to figure out her new naruni tech.
Cordelia/Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 18
S.D.C.: 32

Image
User avatar
Cordelia
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby James Miller » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:50 pm

...rolls held

That name keeps repeating itself in his head booming like a loud speaker. The spy can hear nothing else and can't think of anything but stopping the source of the word. James is unaware of how much time passes but he is suddenly brought out of his trance as he is slapped in the face. He can't tell where it came from and his mind and body seem grounded in lead as he tries to place himself and get into a defensive position to defend the attack. Looking at the situation around him, he starts to take in the scene, "Oh Fuck" I just killed this dude. It takes James another second to remember why he just killed him but he almost plunges the knife in again at the thought. In a snap everything comes back and his coveted training is within reach again. He can see the other group members getting into position to fight and knows there have been questions asked of him but he has no idea who asked them or what they were. He stays on the ground but moves to find some cover while sliding the blood stained knife into his belt, Murder weapon, keep it. The act of keeping control of the knife calms James even more as he feels back in control of himself and his skills. Once he feels he is in the closest safe spot available, he says loud enough to be heard by the group, "'Patricia Lyboc must die or we are all dead...' what the fuck does that mean?"

They are all going to need a reason why I just murdered him. What am I going to say? James wracks his foggy mind to come up with a plausible lie. I don't have a lot to go with here. Fuck me, that was really stupid. How the hell did he know that name? It was supposed to be erased. He continues to let his anger build, happy the fear was now under control. Fuck it, if they ask I'll say he told me he'd kill me. James shakes off the last of the stupor and starts to make more connections, If that fucker was Coalition trying to bring me back in, I need to be gone. I'll fucking disappear and no one will ever see me again. The thought that the G.I.R.L.S. may offer him the protection he needs to keep the Dead Heads away enters his mind. Fuck me, I don't like this indecisiveness. If this is Coalition, I need to be gone yesterday. James stays still and takes in more of the situation as he fights internally with how to handle this situation.
James
Ledger
Conditions
NE-CW20 Camouflage Variable Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
• Helmet: 40/40
• Arms: 20/20, 20/20
• Legs: 30/30, 30/30
• Main Body: 80/80
Modifiers: -5% to acrobatics/gymnastics, -20% for others to detect, +5% to prowl skill

Image
User avatar
James Miller
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Saffron Reynolds » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:53 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 16% (24% base)
JIC: 1d20 = 8
JIC: 1d100 = 21


Saffron is casually sipping on wine and eating her fruit as she is having conversation at the table. When Megan shouts ," We have a Shooter!" Saffron jumps up out of her chair and place both hands on her long pistols, looking around the restaurant . "Where are you son of bitch?" Saffron hears no weapons fire of any kind that she could hear.

After looking around she then noticed everyone standing around the body on the floor Saffron is very interested in how this happened. She takes a look for herself and sees a small hole on his shirt where the blood on his chest has spread and blood running out of his mouth. " What the hell caused this? I have never seen a wound like this before."


(Skill Rolls)
Weapons Engineer 55%/1d100 = 66%
Streetwise 40%/1d100 = 62%
both rolls are intended to help her identify the weapon by its wound
Saffron/Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 16
S.D.C.: 53

Image
User avatar
Saffron Reynolds
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:18 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Alexandra » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:00 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 67% (24% base)
JIC: 1d20 = 18
JIC: 1d100 = 68

James smiles polity and extends a hand in greeting, "My name is James Miller, its nice to have you aboard."

Alex smiles and shakes his hand "Nice to meet you James, glad to be a part of this growing group of friends"

After a little while, Susan stands up and heads towards the bar. "I'm going to see what all they have in stock. Alexandra, please come with me and tell me the latest news from Lazlo!"

Presuming Alexandra follows, Susan takes a moment to examine the bottles behind the bar. "So how long have you been out of the city? I left a few weeks ago, personally, but it feels like much longer."


Alex finishing off the rest of the piece of fruit she was eating and follows Susan to the bar. " I only just left, I'd say about a week ago, it didn't take me too long to get here using my Enforcer. The city wasn't really seeing any action, you know the same day in day out kinda action, at least from what I was able to see when I wasn't helping out with the northern patrols. "

"I had the opportunity to go with my uncle to Fixer's place one night and taste some ale that he personally makes. Liquid gold, I'm telling you! Uncle Buck asked him if he had any plans on distributing it, he told my uncle no, mainly because the secret ingredient he uses is hard to find and very expensive. I'm Megan Price, by the way." Megan tells Alexandra, extending a hand in a greeting.


Alexandra returns in kind shaking Megan's hand "Nice to meet you as well Megan, I'm Alexandra. Literally meeting everyone here tonight, and OMG Yes! I had one with some very fruit filled notes that was absolutely amazing! I will definitely need to have them make it again when I go back again later, we should go back together next time and trade off on what we purchased!"

Alexandra is cutoff from the rest of the conversation by the sudden commotion coming from the group's table, seeing an unknown person slumped over on the table next to James a pool of blood starting to form on the table. What the heck?!!! I step away for a few moments and apparently missed something, who's that guy and next and better question who would wanna kill him. Watching as Susan rushes over, looking around the room trying to see if she spots anyone making any quick movements towards the exits.

Initiative: 1d20+4 = 14
Alexandra/Ledger
Conditions
Nightvision: 20'
Superior Sense of Smell and Hearing
H.P.: 32
S.D.C.: 77

Image
User avatar
Alexandra
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Susan Lee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:59 pm

ROLLS HELD

James Miller wrote:"'Patricia Lyboc must die or we are all dead...' what the fuck does that mean?"


Susan processes what James is saying through the weird focus of boing-go, feeling like her thoughts are slow and fast at the same time.

"So he was assassinated. Before you started stabbing him."

She looks around the room as people panic and half the team search for the assassin.

"We have to get this man medical help!"

To James she snaps - "Grab his feet." Then she leans in and says, more quietly, "I hope you have a way to cover the body up once we get him out the back door. We can discuss your lack of skill as an amateur surgeon later. In the meantime, I have a very good idea."
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Legion » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:40 am

A Guest with Poor Table Manners

Just about everyone in the restaurant is startled and paying attention to Jezebel as she suddenly jumps up on her table and shouts for someone to contact the Defenders. They are further startled by Megan's announcement of an active shooter, at which point fully half of the patrons and staff hit the floor. Another quarter of them panic and rush for the exits. The remainder are fellow mercenaries, they simply draw weapons and hunch down behind any cover available. About half of the staff are still around, hiding mostly, including Gaston who is actually under the G.I.R.L.S. table.

James' attempt to stab the mysterious man in the neck meets with very limited success. The steak knife is made of cheap steel and is not very sharp, so James didn't expect much out of the blade to begin with. But when he tries slicing into the mans neck, it gets as deep as the dermis and then he hits something solid. The serrated blade makes contact with what James is pretty sure is metal just underneath the skin. The end result is a small 1 inch cut that bleeds, but nothing even close to arterial spray.

Susans' medical training kicks in as soon as she sees the man spout blood and keel over. As she lowers him to the floor she notes that he is deceptively heavy for a man of his size and build. As she begins checking his upper body for injuries, she quickly realizes why. From what she can tell, both of this mans arms are cybernetic from the shoulders down, covered in organic skin is near as she can tell. His torso, however, is very flesh and blood. She quickly confirms he is dead, very dead. She can find no pulse and attempts at chest compressions are useless as well, in fact his chest makes very alarming squish noises when she performs CPR, not to mention more blood fountains out of his mouth the first several times. The chest wound he suffered is unlike any battlefield wound she has seen before, a small hole roughly equal to a 9mm bullet is the entry wound. There is very little bruising or trauma to the surrounding tissue, which is typical of a bullet wound. She's no expert on bullets and the guns that fire them, but the wound itself is throwing her for a loop. There is no exit wound. James' attempt to sever the mans head was a mark of insanity, however it does reveal something. She notes that the blade did very little damage and there is only a small amount of blood from the small cut. When she inspects this new wound she sees that underneath the skin there is a metal mesh weave, most likely another cybernetic enhancement.

Neither Megan, Jezebel, or Saffron can locate any sign of the shooter. All three note that there was no gunshot sound of any kind, neither energy blast or slug thrower. Additionally, there is a total lack of the smell from gun fire, no burnt ozone smell or cordite in the air. The lack of both these things makes the entire incident a bit strange.


What Are You All Doing?
ImageImage
User avatar
Legion
Game Master
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:11 am
Location: Round Rock, Texas

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Jezebel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:27 am

Perception: 74% / 1d100 = 32
JIC: 1d20 = 3 / 1d100 = 26
Conditions: Critical strike on 18-20, K.O. on N20, Energy Resistance
Recognize Weapon Quality 70% / 1d100 = 59 (to consider the type of weapon which could have the noticed effect)
Intelligence 78% / 1d100 = 80 (along with perception, to identify the origin & penetration point of the attack)
Detect Concealment 80% / 1d100 = 10 (along with perception, to identify the origin & penetration point of the attack)
Trap/Mine Detection 80% / 1d100 = 82 (along with perception, to identify the origin & penetration point of the attack)

Heedless of the panicked people around her, Jez maintains her professional cool and carefully examines the windows and the structures outside for a line of sight from target to shooter, while the rest of the group does what they can given the situation. Better let them learn how to deal with surprises without my hand-holding. I can always advise them after the fact. No threat apparent. This appears to be an precision assassination, not a general attack. Without looking away from what she's examining, she yells back, "Everyone, relax! This appears to have been an assassination. We're not under attack. Get the Defenders & an ambulance here NOW!"
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Conditions
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/1550
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)

Image
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: The Sphinx & Unicorn Tavern (137)

Postby Megan Price » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:36 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 69/63% (+15% when either Multi-Optic Eyes or Amplified Hearing are active, +30% when both are active)
Just In Case: 1d100 = 20/1d20 = 4
Constant Effects: Sound Filtration System, Universal Head-Jack
Current Effects, Other: Radio Ear

Megan runs out of the tavern, keenly aware of the danger she could be placing herself in as she runs after an assumed killer in the middle of MercTown with no armor on. The thought lingers in her mind as she remembers she was supposed to be receiving a package soon from an up and coming armor manufacturer who wanted her to test out their latest design in the field. As she tries her best to move unnoticed through the crowd, she does her best to spot who could have taken the shot, but sees nothing. Thinking that a higher vantage point would be more beneficial, she uses her grappling hook launcher to climb to the rooftops. Unfortunately in her haste, she did not make sure it was secured before she tried climbing, falling off of the wall onto her back and knocking the wind out of her lungs.

Jezebel wrote:Heedless of the panicked people around her, Jez maintains her professional cool and carefully examines the windows and the structures outside for a line of sight from target to shooter, while the rest of the group does what they can given the situation. Better let them learn how to deal with surprises without my hand-holding. I can always advise them after the fact. No threat apparent. This appears to be an precision assassination, not a general attack. Without looking away from what she's examining, she yells back, "Everyone, relax! This appears to have been an assassination. We're not under attack. Get the Defenders & an ambulance here NOW!"


Jez's words bring Megan back into focus as she mentally commands her radio ear to switch over to the city emergency channel, waiting for any current radio chatter to clear up before she speaks on the channel. "Attention Defenders, your assistance is requested at The Sphinx and Unicorn Tavern with an ambulance. An apparent shooting has taken place. Contact me at this frequency if additional information is requested." With that handled, she switches her radio over to that frequency so that she can immediately if they pop up. As she does this, Megan heads back into the tavern to help in anyway she can
Megan Price
HP: 20/20
SDC: 45/45
User avatar
Megan Price
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm


Return to The Mystic Quarter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest