Switch to full style
Coming to MercTown via land? You'll have to enter through one of the City Gates. A free MAP and GUIDE of MercTown is provided upon arrival.
Post a reply

Welcome to MercTown

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:42 pm

Image

As you approach the massive, fortified, outer walls of MercTown a voice booms at you once you are within five hundred feet or so.

Loudspeaker wrote:ATTENTION! YOU ARE BEING SCANNED BY EVERY PSYCHIC, MAGIC, AND TECHNOLOGICAL MEANS KNOWN. SUBMIT TO THE DEFENDERS AT THE GATES ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED. SURRENDER ALL LONG-ARMS, POWER ARMOR, AND ROBOT COMBAT VEHICLES. REMOVE AND SURRENDER ALL WEAPONS CONTROL CHIPS IN YOUR VEHICLES. ANY RESISTANCE, ATTACK, OR FAILURE TO OBEY THE DEFENDERS WILL BE MET WITH DEADLY FORCE.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:09 pm

Perception: 1d20+5 = 6
JIC d20: 1d20 = 2
JIC d100: 1d100 = 19

Current Effects: Encumbered.

A dusty, ragged, overburdened armored figure slowly approaches the gates on foot. The figure is getting even more layers as each vehicle passes by in either direction.

I can't believe I hiked all this crap twenty miles back to MercTown. I think I'm beginning to see why shipping costs are so high. Hell at 40 miles, I'd need a new spine.

Kat wordlessly hands over her (likely dust-covered) ID card and her (undoubtedly dust-caked) Duffle Bag and L-20 Rifle. The City Rat then sets down her backpack and creates a dust cloud by beating herself off as best she can.

Kat mutters to herself "Home, sweet home." I need a bath, this armor needs repairs, my backup needs repairs, I need a drink, and I need to check on Mom and Jason. After the drink and bath. Drink. Bath. No? Bath. Drink. Yes. Bath. Drink. Sleep. Mom and Jason. Repairs. Kat nods to herself, as if the world was suddenly arranged perfectly.

Only when the guard head back does Kat's brain really engage. Zeus, please let that nonsense in the Swap Meet be ancient history.

If everything checks out, Kat hefts her backpack, says "Thanks. Stay safe." and wanders into town at least 40 pounds lighter.

(Hub--- Ambassador Suites (33))

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:07 am

As John approaches the gates of MercTown, he repeatedly goes through a checklist in his head. First check in with Taen, then sell the furs, then find a place to stay, then look for work. He looks warily at the crowd, trying to pick out any Coalition troops. Hope there's no Coalition around, heard MercTown is friendly to them. And if they are here, hope I can drag them into an alley...

John answers most questions on the form honestly, including name, but if there's a section for 'powers' he only fills in Can Control Housecats.

Perception: 1d20+3 = 21
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 6 / 1d100 = 68

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Perception: 1d20+1 = 11
JIC: 1d20 = 181d100 = 17

Ernstweavel slowly meandered his way towards the front gate. Tightening his grip on his staff with every stride. His eyes shifting from side to side, erratically. Thinking to himself Shit! How I hate new towns but I need a drink badly. Still got to watch out for those damn CS boys. I don't need anymore of them. Keep quiet and don't stay long is all I need to do but first that drink.

Ernstweavel reluctantly walks up to the first guard he looked upon. With a bit of dryness in his voice, Ernst asks “Where can I find the nearest establishment that serves local refreshments? Also, in what direction is the Mage's quarter?” Ernst adjusts his weight and leans on his staff, patiently waiting for the reply.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:06 am

Since the guards seem to have no special interest in John, we makes his way through the crowd and goes to visit his friend Taen at Badgerbold Cartographers http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=6419.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:24 pm

John and Ernstweavel are both confronted by a guard who is clearly going through the motions. He hands each a simple brochure (in English and Spanish) filled with few words and lots of iconic symbols denoting all the various districts and major venues in each. He then listens to his earpiece. He looks up to Ernstweavel. "You're a mage. You should know the rules. Head to the Collegiate if you need a refresher."

He then looks at John. "You're an aberration. Don't use your abilities to violate the personal or property rights of anyone in town, or you'll be registered and banished at the very least. Enjoy your stay."

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Ernstweavel takes the boucher from the guard and nods in agreement and uttering a half hearted "Thanks." After adjusting his backpack, Ernstweavel begins to walk through the city gates. Thinking to himself Man, if these guards are this relaxed all the time, I should keep my eyes open. Who knows what might have sliped passed them. As Ernstweavel starts to wandering past all of the various townfolk, he is brought back into reality. After scanning the street to find his bearings, he quickens his stride to quench his thirst.

>> The Job Market Cafe (30) <<

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:49 am

Augur wrote:He then looks at John. "You're an aberration. Don't use your abilities to violate the personal or property rights of anyone in town, or you'll be registered and banished at the very least. Enjoy your stay."


John mutters to himself "You're an aberration." Then he raises his voice, "Thank you, of course I won't violate anything. I take it you're not a cat person?"

Exeunt to >>Badgerbold Cartographers (96)<<

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Perception:1d20 = 20
JIC: 1d20 = 20 / 1d100 = 21

Two Claws sits upon her trusty steed, Has Has. Slowing down to a slow walk as the city gates come into veiw. The closer they get the more anxious Two Claws gets. Covered in sweat and dirt from the long days of traviling. All she wants is a hot bath and then get back into the saddle and take down a few criminals. Two Claws always enjoyed the thrill of the hunt. Putting her skills the max. Trying to see where her limits are and then seeing if she can surpass it. When the guards come into veiw, Two Claws tightens her grip on the reigns. She always hated learing new laws and customs but then it's a part of the job. She stops Has Has just in front of the guards. "Which ways to the bath house?" Speaking sternly as not to show any weakness and waiting stoically for a reply.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Susan approaches the city gates of Merctown cautiously, looking around at the crowds, intimidated. There are SO MANY warriors here! I had heard, but it's different seeing it first hand!

When the guard hands her the form, she fills it out scrupulously and checks her answers three times.

I don't even know where to start, this Job Market Cafe might be the best place to start putting together an exploratory expedition? It's as good a place as any to try first, I suppose.

She then walks to the Job Market Cafe (30).

Perception: 1d20+2 = 13
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 6 / 1d100 = 93

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:24 am

-Rolls carried over-

Waiting patiently for reply of the guards, Two Claws' frustration begins to mount. Not wanting to upset or offend them, she does ger best to keep her composure. Having enough of of their inability for a response, she proceeds Has Has through the guard and gates. Afterwards she then starts making her way to business district. Surley there someone will give her more aid than whats she's getting now.

Finds her way to --The Spokes--

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:23 am

A gate guard eventually makes their way to Two Claws. "Morning Ma'am, first time to our city?" He questions, while pulling a small electronic tablet from his utility belt. "We have some basic rules, no power armor or robot combat vehicles, No long arms or explosives, and no demonic creatures." The guard looks the young Totem Warrior up and down, obviously checking her obvious belongings. "You don't seem to have anything of the sort, and none of our scanners seem to have an issue with you. So I'll just need you to fill out this form real quick to the best of your ability." The young man says as he hands the tablet to Two Claws. "If you do not know how to read, press the button in the right corner and the device will read each question for you and accept vocal input for the answers." The young guard waits while Two Claws fills out the form, before taking it and looking it over real quick. "All seems in order, you'll likely want to stable your horse at the Ostrosaurus Express, they're real good with animals of all kinds. If you're looking for work I suggest the Job Market Cafe. It's really a hub of mercenary activity." The young man says before handing Two Claws a paper brochure-style map of the city with the major sites marked on it. "To help you get around a little easier. Have a pleasant day" The guard says before moving on to the next person in line.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Perception: 1d20 | 1d20 = 19
JIC #1: 1d20 | 1d20 = 2
JIC #2: 1d100 | 1d100 = 32
Init: 1d20+2 | 1d20+2 = 5

Corrigan arrives in MercTown with a trade caravan.

Drawing her pay of twenty thousand credits, she departs their camp a little ways outside of MercTown and makes her way towards the gates with her pack snugly on her back and her rifle slung lazily over her shoulder. It's been a long trip but she's full of the anticipation that comes from returning to a familiar setting. MercTown isn't Kingsdale and it never will be, but the come and go of armed people and the movement of technology and vehicles is a good feeling to her.

Anywhere but in the kitchen. She thinks to herself as she joins the queue of people waiting to see the guards and clear 'customs'.

She's pleasant, and offers a smile when she reaches them.

These people are just doing their jobs afterall.

"Aye, what'll it be? How many pounds of paperwork?" She asks, the smile turning into a genuine one.

Any forms that are reasonable will be filled out, though she lists 'Ironwind' as her last name -- her maiden name, rather than any married one.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:46 pm

((OOC: Aw, nuts. Someone did a really good standard spiel and now it's been wiped clean. Oh well.))


Corrigan wrote:"Aye, what'll it be? How many pounds of paperwork?" She asks, the smile turning into a genuine one.


"Morning Ma'am, first time to our city?" The guard smiles black while pulling a small electronic tablet from his utility belt and hands it to Corrigan. "We have some basic rules -- don't violate the personal or property rights of anyone in town, no power armor or robot combat vehicles, No long-barrel arms, heavy weapons or explosives, and no demonic creatures. Please fill out this form to the best of your ability. If you do not know how to read, press the button in the right corner and the device will read each question for you and accept vocal input for the answers."

Once the lady dwarf (dwarfette?) hands it back to him he looks over it while holding his hand up to his ear. "Yep, everything seems to be in order, but you'll need to hand over that rifle of yours before you go in. There's a security center just over there and they'll give you a claim ticket so you can retrieve it when you come back out..." he points to a structure just to the side and behind him. "If you're looking for work I suggest the Job Market Cafe. Lots of jobs posted and you can often find groups looking to hire on hands." He hands Corrigan a paper map of the city and draws a circle around the JMC's location. "Here you go, this should help you get around town better. Don't worry if you lose it, we have more at the other guard posts and most of the larger merchants have them as well. And welcome to MercTown!"

The guard nods and smiles once more before moving on to the next person in line.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Perception: 1d20 | 1d20 = 18
JIC #1: 1d20 | 1d20 = 8
JIC #2: 1d100 | 1d100 = 12
Init: 1d20+2 | 1d20+2 = 3

Well, that's not so bad.

Corrigan murmurs to herself, thumbing through the various questions and answering them.

She hands the pad back, but keeps the map.

"Can probably keep to that set of rules."

A small grin, and then she remembers that law enforcement in these places never has any sense of humor.

"I'll keep out of trouble. Thankye for your time."

The first thing that she does is hunt down a smoke, not go to the place recommended. Wherever in MercTown she can find it, a few quality cigars, a good quality pipe and a supply of several types of very fine tobacco. She also takes the time to hunt down a good quality SDC, lever-action rifle (45-70 caliber, please.), as well as 100 rounds of ammunition, 50 empty brass rounds, 50 primers and enough power to make 50 strong reloads.

/Then/ when everything is comfortably secured and distributed in her pack and among her person does she head into MercTown.
OOC: Just let me know how much!

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 95
JiC: 1d20 = 10 / 1d100 = 37

The gates of Merctown! as Jack rides up, he thinks to himself, maybe this time I can make a go of it. The money is almost gone, and resources are running thin. It might be time to make some friends, but who? It had been a long ride and Jack was ready to get off the boar and find something to eat. I hope I don’t have any troubles getting in. Jack stops for a second to put his face buff on under his helmet then continues on.

As he gets closer the voice booms… Dang, these guys are more paranoid than I am. ” I’ll Comply, Don’t worry.” Jack hands over the required items and asks “ Where can I get a good bite to eat?”

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:04 pm

"Morning Sir, first time visiting?" The guard smiles while pulling a small electronic tablet from his utility belt and hands it to Jack. "We have some basic rules -- don't violate the personal or property rights of anyone in town, no power armor or robot combat vehicles, No long-barrel arms, heavy weapons or explosives, and no demonic creatures. Please fill out this form to the best of your ability. If you do not know how to read, press the button in the right corner and the device will read each question for you and accept vocal input for the answers." The guard steps back and waits for Jack to finish


Once Jack hands it back to him, the guard looks over it. "Yep, everything seems to be in order, but you'll need to hand over that rifle of yours before you go in. There's a security center just over there and they'll give you a claim ticket so you can retrieve it when you come back out..." he points to a structure just to the side and behind him. "If you're looking for work I suggest the Job Market Cafe. Lots of jobs posted and you can often find groups looking to hire on hands." He hands over a paper map of the city and draws a circle around the JMC's location. "Here you go, this should help you get around town better. Don't worry if you lose it, we have more at the other guard posts and most of the larger merchants have them as well. And welcome to MercTown!"

The guard nods and smiles once more before moving on to the next person in line.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Perception 1d100 = 57
JIC 1d20 = 20 1d100 = 37

Zoe Barenger wrote:"Morning Sir, first time visiting?" The guard smiles while pulling a small electronic tablet from his utility belt and hands it to Jack. "We have some basic rules -- don't violate the personal or property rights of anyone in town, no power armor or robot combat vehicles, No long-barrel arms, heavy weapons or explosives, and no demonic creatures. Please fill out this form to the best of your ability. If you do not know how to read, press the button in the right corner and the device will read each question for you and accept vocal input for the answers." The guard steps back and waits for Jack to finish


Well, this guy seems friendly enough, not at all what I expected. I wonder if he has some kind of agenda? Maybe he is trying to lull me into a false sense of security... Jack thinks to himself

Zoe Barenger wrote:Once Jack hands it back to him, the guard looks over it. "Yep, everything seems to be in order, but you'll need to hand over that rifle of yours before you go in. There's a security center just over there and they'll give you a claim ticket so you can retrieve it when you come back out..." he points to a structure just to the side and behind him. "If you're looking for work I suggest the Job Market Cafe. Lots of jobs posted and you can often find groups looking to hire on hands." He hands over a paper map of the city and draws a circle around the JMC's location. "Here you go, this should help you get around town better. Don't worry if you lose it, we have more at the other guard posts and most of the larger merchants have them as well. And welcome to MercTown!"


'I appreciate your time." Jack tells the guard. He walks over to the security center the man pointed out and hands over his rifle and waits for his ticket. Once Jack recieves his ticket he politely says "Thank you" hops on boar and heads over to the hub to find the Job Market café.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:12 am

Perception: 1d100 = 42
JIC: 1d20 = 3 and 1d100 = 96

Back to the gates, This sucks. Jack gets off of the boar and searches through his pockets for his check stub for his rifle as he walks up to the main gate. Every so often he looks back to make sure the nymph is behind him and hasn't driven off on him. Amazing, you can’t even tell she has such hairy legs anymore.

He finally finds the ticket and pulls it out right as he gets to the check window. ”Hey babe, I’ll only be a minute” he calls back to the woman. Is she though? he wonders.

He hands the ticket to the attendant at the window. ”It’s been real but it’s time to hit the road. Would appreciate it if you could grab my rifle for me.” Jack watches closely to make sure he gets his rifle and not someone else’s. Once he receives it he check it thoroughly.

With his rifle in hand he heads back to the goat chick. ”Ok, I’m good to go now. Maybe on the way back we can go straight to Magic Missives without stopping here?” he says to her with a wink. I hope she doesn't ruffey me and try to steal my kidney.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:21 am

Atria gives a coy little giggle as she replies. ”I am just here to help you get to your destination. Your return is your problem.” She waits a few moments to see if he is ready to leave. She walks to a spot about 20 ft away. Seductively she says, over her shoulder. ”Mount up, cowboy. The light show is about to begin.” She turns back front and starts to sway slowly. After a few seconds, the swaying begins to speed up into a high speed dance, then with a flourish, there is a splash like water, and a swirling vortex appears. It is 10 feet by 10 feet in size and looks like surface of water with ripples radiating out from the middle. opens. ”This will take you to your destination. Just drive thru.” As he passes, Jack hears a whisper ”Godspeed.” Once he has passed thru, it disappears with a slight pop.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:51 am

Perception 19%(+5% for spotting a deal): 1d100 = 4
JIC d20:1d20 = 18
JIC d100: 1d100 = 69

Travel Information & Tips 56%: 1d100 = 73
Roadwise 40% (+10% traveling Merchants): 1d100 = 12
Charm/Impress 20%: 1d100 = 97
Invoke Trust/Intimidate 35%: 1d100 = 43

In Today's Episode of Something About John

John drives his dust-covered Cargonaut up to the gates, waiting his turn in line. The Black Marketeer looks over who else is in the queue, seeing if he recognizes any fellow merchants. All the while he's tapping his steering wheel to a beat all his own, creating the opening theme for the latest episode of the television series in his head. I just made you up to hurt myself.

When it comes to his turn at the gate, John puts on the big smile. "Hello there, handsome*. Just here to do a little peddling, a little purchasing. Maybe get into a little pleasure after business is completed." John winks at the guard at the last bit of his statement.

Filling out the proper paperwork, he empties 'Papa Slayer'** of it's special ammunition and hands it over to the guard. Once cleared, the Black Marketeer makes his way to his favorite restaurant in town.

(Spokes: Celestial Dragon)

*handsome becomes gorgeous if the security guard is female.
**The name of John's NEMA Liberator.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:50 pm

The gate sentry looks over John’s paperwork slowly and thoroughly. He looks at the Nema Liberator very closely. ”I appreciate you unloading the weapon, your gonna need to check that in with us here. You are welcome to come back and pick it up on your way out.” The guard takes the weapon from John and turns it over several times before he locates a serial number. He writes the serial number down on a receipt and tares off the stub and hands it to John.

The guard looks to his left, points to a security station and says, ”when your ready to leave take your receipt to one of the people over there and they will retrieve your rifle for you. Please refrain from any violent activity while you are staying with us. As soon as he finishes he waves For John to continue through the gate and moves his focus onto the next person in line.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:50 am

Perception: 1d100 = 52 / 22%
JIC (20): 1d20 = 19
JIC (100): 1d100 = 80

Yojimbo approaches the gate and stops when the voice booms.

Long arms... I suppose that means they'll want this he thinks, as he removes the Helical magazine from his KLS-RG-15X and puts it on his chest rig.

He then holds out the unloaded KLS-RG-15X by its barrel so that anyone can see, and begins to approach slowly.

Assuming he is allowed to continue to the gate, he begins to remove his poncho, and will await further instruction and examination by the guard(s) as he approaches at a steady, measured pace, so as not to alarm anyone.

This seems to be standard procedure for many of the places I have visited in this land. 'Merctown.' The people at the last village told me this place would have interesting opportunities for me. Let's see if they were right...

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 am

As Yojimbo approaches, pedestrians as well as vehicles tend to move out of his path. It is a little unsettling, with some of the looks and all, but nothing as bad as he has experienced. It is a nice area. While walking, he has gotten to see the basics of human life, as well as a few Dbee communities. The area becomes busier and busier as he gets closer.

Once he comes within a couple hundred feet, he seems some bustling amonst the guards. Hearijng the voice, he stops. As he moves to remove the clip in his rifle, one of the guards pushes another guard towards Yojimbo. The guard is shaky as he approaches. Looking at him, Yojimbo notices there is only 1 chevron on his armor. Obviously a rookie, but has some heart. With a glace at the gate, Yojimbo sees the other guards chuckling.

The young guard looks him up and down. ”St..St...STA...State your name and business.” He then follows as Yojimbo moves closer to the gate. ”Sir?? Please stop and state your name and business??!” The guard on the left gives a chuckle ”Relax, Perkins. He/it isn't attacking, so let him speak.” He then looks back at Yojimbo. ”I have seen a lot of folk come thru here, but nothing like you. I kinda see the oriental influence to your armor. I like it.” with an approving smile, he motions with his chin at the guard on the right.

The other guard holds out a tablet, then looks at Yojimbo, then back to the tablet, then back at Yojimbo’s hands. ”Ummm, fill this out and give it when you are finished.” He waits with the tablet in his outstretched hand.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:15 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 86 / 22%
JIC (20): 1d20 = 18
JIC (100): 1d100 = 44

Zoe Barenger wrote:Once he comes within a couple hundred feet, he seems some bustling amonst the guards. Hearijng the voice, he stops. As he moves to remove the clip in his rifle, one of the guards pushes another guard towards Yojimbo. The guard is shaky as he approaches. Looking at him, Yojimbo notices there is only 1 chevron on his armor. Obviously a rookie, but has some heart. With a glace at the gate, Yojimbo sees the other guards chuckling.


This game is universal, it seems - a hazing ritual, of sorts. Nevertheless, I shall play along.

Zoe Barenger wrote:The young guard looks him up and down. ”St..St...STA...State your name and business.” He then follows as Yojimbo moves closer to the gate. ”Sir?? Please stop and state your name and business??!”


Yojimbo is about to state his name and business to the nervous young guard (while continuing to walk) when he hears the order to stop. He immediately complies.

"I am Yojimbo. I seek opportunities in Merctown," says the Holy Terror in his partially modulated voice. He then turns his head and looks directly at the young guard. "I mean no harm and do not wish to cause offense to you, young man. I respect your position and will comply with any and all orders to the best of my ability."

Zoe Barenger wrote:The guard on the left gives a chuckle ”Relax, Perkins. He/it isn't attacking, so let him speak.” He then looks back at Yojimbo. ”I have seen a lot of folk come thru here, but nothing like you. I kinda see the oriental influence to your armor. I like it.” with an approving smile, he motions with his chin at the guard on the right.


Yojimbo remains silent, initially unsure whether or not the guard's compliment is genuine or if he is the butt of a strange joke.

Skill Roll: Anthropology (to avoid any social mistake/offending the guards)--> 1d100 = 28 / 42%

He decides to give the benefit of the doubt - after all, he is the stranger here - and bows a short bow.

"Arigatōgozaimashita" he replies in Japanese to the guard politely. If the guard looks confused or like he doesn't understand, Yojimbo provides the translation in American - "Thank you."

Zoe Barenger wrote:The other guard holds out a tablet, then looks at Yojimbo, then back to the tablet, then back at Yojimbo’s hands. ”Ummm, fill this out and give it when you are finished.” He waits with the tablet in his outstretched hand.


As Yojimbo takes the tablet gently from the guard, trying not to crush it in his massive three-fingered hands, it begins asking him questions.

Interesting device.

He answers the questions as best he can, and returns it to the guard.

"I beg your pardon, sirs," he says politely, and then follows up with, "I was told that Merctown is a place of opportunity. If you had not already guessed, I am not from around these parts. Perhaps you could direct me to where I can acquire a map of the city, or a place wherein where I can earn my keep? I am a bodyguard and sword-for-hire, by trade."

This seems to be an honorable method to make one's way in this land," he thinks to himself. Still, one must eventually plant roots if one is to grow. Perhaps there is a more permanent role to be found within this town?
Last edited by Yojimbo on Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:20 am

Yojimbo is about to state his name and business to the nervous young guard (while continuing to walk) when he hears the order to stop. He immediately complies.

"I am Yojimbo. I seek opportunities in Merctown," says the Holy Terror in his partially modulated voice. He then turns his head and looks directly at the young guard. "I mean no harm and do not wish to cause offense to you, young man. I respect your position and will comply with any and all orders to the best of my ability."


The young guard almost walks into Yojimbo as he stops. ”Umm..i ….i….sorry.” the other guards start shaking. It is apparent they are laughing. He stops and takes a step back. His helmet face is pointed down as if looking at the floor. As Yojimbo speaks, The young guard looks up. There are a couple of seconds of silence before he responds. ”Umm. *gulp* Thank you.” He moves back to the gates post.

He decides to give the benefit of the doubt - after all, he is the stranger here - and bows a short bow.

"Arigatōgozaimashita" he replies in Japanese to the guard politely. If the guard looks confused or like he doesn't understand, Yojimbo provides the translation in American - "Thank you."


The guard stops and turns to face Yojimbo. ”you are welcome, my large friend. “ He returns the bow. As he stands, ”I have met a lot of people coming thru here. I have picked up a few tricks. Hehe.”

"I beg your pardon, sirs," he says politely, and then follows up with, "I was told that Merctown is a place of opportunity. If you had not already guessed, I am not from around these parts. Perhaps you could direct me to where I can acquire a map of the city or a place wherein where I can earn my keep? I am a bodyguard and sword-for-hire, by trade."


The guard looks up and gently removes the large rifle. In its place, he hands Yojimbo a folded piece of paper. ”This, lad, is a map of Merctown. It should show you want you to need. Otherwise, most residents here are helpful. If need to, just ask someone.”

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:30 am

Perception: 1d100 = 33 / 22%
JIC (20): 1d20 = 6
JIC (100): 1d100 = 23

Zoe Barenger wrote:The guard looks up and gently removes the large rifle. In its place, he hands Yojimbo a folded piece of paper. ”This, lad, is a map of Merctown. It should show you want you to need. Otherwise, most residents here are helpful. If need to, just ask someone.”


Yojimbo thanks the guard, takes his "receipt" and the map, and proceeds to enter the city of MercTown.

Struck by curiosity, he decides to visit the weapons district to see what this "Devilman Exotic Arms" place is all about.

((Devilman Exotic Arms - 121, Arms Bazaar))

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Mon May 06, 2019 4:10 pm

JIC: 1d20 = 7 / 1d100 = 23
Init: 1d20 = 7
Perc: 27% / 1d100 = 90
Charm/Impress: 5% / 1d100 = 67
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 10% / 1d100 = 23

As you approach the massive, fortified, outer walls of MercTown a voice booms at you once you are within five hundred feet or so.

Loudspeaker wrote:ATTENTION! YOU ARE BEING SCANNED BY EVERY PSYCHIC, MAGIC, AND TECHNOLOGICAL MEANS KNOWN. SUBMIT TO THE DEFENDERS AT THE GATES ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED. SURRENDER ALL LONG-ARMS, POWER ARMOR, AND ROBOT COMBAT VEHICLES. REMOVE AND SURRENDER ALL WEAPONS CONTROL CHIPS IN YOUR VEHICLES. ANY RESISTANCE, ATTACK, OR FAILURE TO OBEY THE DEFENDERS WILL BE MET WITH DEADLY FORCE.



Seymour drives his cargonaut up to the point when the guard motions to stop. Leaning out the window, with his ever-present press hat atop his head, he replies ” Good day gents. I am Seymour Ruiz. I am seeking employment. I am a journalist.” He remains where he is till he is told to move.

” Alright. I made it. Almost no fuel, and down to shots in my shooter. And all I want is some excitement and credits.” he looks at his notes. ” Checklist. Find a teacher to certify training in aikido. Find some excitement to get on film. Sell said film. Last, of all find contacts. I need to make a name for myself here.” he smiles as he remembers ” I knew all the who’s who at home, time to start again. I will try to earn some quick credits with tourist shots for now.’ He opens the door and lounges with one leg dangling,b fiddling with his camera. Every now and again, Seymour checks over his shoulder or looks in the mirrors. ’ just need to stay ahead of them. Anyone here could be watching for me.” He pulls his hat a little further and outs on some sunglasses. His tail twitches nervously the entire time.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Tue May 07, 2019 1:46 pm

Two guards walk up to Seymour. One, a male, stands in the back with his hand on his weapon, but not pointing it in Seymour's direction. The other, a female with blonde hair, approaches and addresses Seymour.

"Journalist, you say? May want to head over to the Warhawk Magazine Co - they claim to be the most popular independent magazine in North America..." says the guard to Seymour as she checks everything out.

"Looks clear over here, Lt. Danvers! Don't see anything out of the ordinary, looks like a/v recording equipment mostly," comes a man's voice from the other side of the vehicle. If Seymour turns around to look, he sees two other guards that he didn't notice the first time slowly circling the vehicle, looking at it from top to bottom and using some sort of handheld scanners.

The guard nods and says, "If you have any long arms or prohibited items, now's the time to tell us so we can check them in. You do not want to get caught in the city limits with contraband, Mr. Ruiz," she says with a serious face. Seymour has been an Information Broker long enough to know when someone is trying to read his reactions and body language.

Assuming Seymour divulges any prohibited contraband, the guards clear him and his vehicle for entry.

"Remember - go to Warhawk Magazine in the Hub district, Mr. Ruiz. Enjoy your stay in Merctown," says Lt. Danvers before waving him through.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Tue May 07, 2019 2:24 pm

JIC: 1d20 = 19 / 1d100 = 16
Init: 1d20 = 3
Perc: 27% / 1d100 = 19
Charm/Impress: 5% / 1d100 = 87
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 10% / 1d100 = 61

Conditions:
Normal loadout of gear

Skills - N/A
Photography -- 47% / 1d100 = 27



Seymour lifts his hat as the guards approach. ”Wow!! Real merctown defenders! You gotta let me take a pic or at least film this. This is great!” He holds up his hand held camera with a questioning eye. Realizing it may not be a good idea, he waves ”All good. Forget it. Once i am a full reporte, i will be back.” As he heads off, here is a playful shaking of a fist. Just inside the gates, the brakes are applied. Seymour sticks his head out ” How do i get to the HUB?”

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Tue May 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Seymour Ruiz wrote:Just inside the gates, the brakes are applied. Seymour sticks his head out ” How do i get to the HUB?”


Lt. Danvers approaches Seymour's vehicle. "Compliments of Merctown. If you lose this one, you can get another one at the Government House," she says, as she hands a folded map to Seymour. "Monday through Friday, ten hundred through eighteen hundred hours, are the official business times," she follows up with helpfully, and then turns around and shouts something to the other guards behind her.

"If there's nothing else..." she says to Seymour, and nods her head back toward where the other guards are.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Tue May 07, 2019 3:39 pm

With a tip of his hat and a happy wave, Seymour heads into merctown.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:45 am

Perception: 1d100 = 90 /60%
JIC (20): 1d20 = 8
JIC (100): 1d100 = 58

Conditions: None




Merchant of Death wrote:Image

As you approach the massive, fortified, outer walls of MercTown a voice booms at you once you are within five hundred feet or so.

Loudspeaker wrote:ATTENTION! YOU ARE BEING SCANNED BY EVERY PSYCHIC, MAGIC, AND TECHNOLOGICAL MEANS KNOWN. SUBMIT TO THE DEFENDERS AT THE GATES ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED. SURRENDER ALL LONG-ARMS, POWER ARMOR, AND ROBOT COMBAT VEHICLES. REMOVE AND SURRENDER ALL WEAPONS CONTROL CHIPS IN YOUR VEHICLES. ANY RESISTANCE, ATTACK, OR FAILURE TO OBEY THE DEFENDERS WILL BE MET WITH DEADLY FORCE.


Scan away... you humans and your technological dependencies. One day, it will be your undoing! thinks the lioness as she slows her approach.

When a defender approaches her, she will stop moving and simply state, "Hello, I have no long-arms, power armor, or vehicles to speak of. I carry no weapons or armor... only this protective device and personal effects," she says, briefly pointing at her force field generator when she says the word "protective device".

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 am

Naliyah is watching the grand wall of Merctown as it's announcement blares and doesn't immediately notice the two defenders that have approached her but hears one of them say "What the hell? Never thought I'd get the call to address the Lion at the Gates..." followed by a slight chuckle.

Naliyah wrote:"Hello, I have no long-arms, power armor, or vehicles to speak of. I carry no weapons or armor... only this protective device and personal effects"


The first defender nods and speaks as the second one steps to the side, watching. "You're a new one here; no weapons or other extra items but not unarmed so to speak, you are clear to enter. Try not to pick fights if you can help it, most folks here are agreeable. You should also head over to the Collegiate Arcana, I'm sure they'd love to meet you ." The Defender remarks, waving the lioness through.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:00 am

**rolls held**

Underguard wrote:The first defender nods and speaks as the second one steps to the side, watching. "You're a new one here; no weapons or other extra items but not unarmed so to speak, you are clear to enter. Try not to pick fights if you can help it, most folks here are agreeable. You should also head over to the Collegiate Arcana, I'm sure they'd love to meet you ." The Defender remarks, waving the lioness through.


"Much appreciated, sir. Collegiate Arcane, you say? I will be sure to visit, thank you. Could you point me in the right direction?" she asks politely.

Assuming the guard obliges, she will thank him and head inside.

I'm starving... where can a girl get a good meal around here? she wonders, looking around for a map and asking the guards for one if she doesn't see one present.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:37 am

Naliyah wrote:"Much appreciated, sir. Collegiate Arcane, you say? I will be sure to visit, thank you. Could you point me in the right direction?"


The guard opens a map and points out the route; "This is the entrance, the Collegiate is located within the Mystic Quarter found here." The gives her a moment to look at the map before slipping it in her harness. "Like I said, most are pretty reasonable so if you get lost on the way you shouldn't have trouble getting pointed in the right direction. They likely will not let you past the front doors without an escort, so be ready for that." He first guard finishes, leaving the map with her.

The second guard remarks as Naliyah asks about good spots to eat. "The Celestial Dragon is a a fair priced spot with excellent food, consider it high end. The Lone Star Saloon is another decent spot that caters to the more rough sort. There are plenty of opportunities to make a bit of credits in town if you are lacking. The Allen's Market also has a selection of uncooked food as well." He states, adding "You did ping on our scans, avoid using any special abilities you may have within limits unless necessary and explainable. We are not kind to those who break these laws, you understand." He finishes.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:04 pm

**rolls held**

Underguard wrote:
Naliyah wrote:"Much appreciated, sir. Collegiate Arcane, you say? I will be sure to visit, thank you. Could you point me in the right direction?"


The guard opens a map and points out the route; "This is the entrance, the Collegiate is located within the Mystic Quarter found here." The gives her a moment to look at the map before slipping it in her harness. "Like I said, most are pretty reasonable so if you get lost on the way you shouldn't have trouble getting pointed in the right direction. They likely will not let you past the front doors without an escort, so be ready for that." He first guard finishes, leaving the map with her.

The second guard remarks as Naliyah asks about good spots to eat. "The Celestial Dragon is a a fair priced spot with excellent food, consider it high end. The Lone Star Saloon is another decent spot that caters to the more rough sort. There are plenty of opportunities to make a bit of credits in town if you are lacking." He states, adding "You did ping on our scans, avoid using any special abilities you may have within limits unless necessary and explainable. We are not kind to those who break these laws, you understand." He finishes.


"Thank you for your help," says the lioness to the guards as she enters the city of Merctown.

I suppose I should have clarified with the guards - what I 'eat' is not what they would. I'm sure there's a butcher market or something in this place; it's probably on that map..."Ping" on our scans? What in the Pride Worlds does that mean? Humans and their toys... and special abilities? I suppose I'll have to ask at the Collegiate Arcane what he meant by that. As anthropocentric as this place seems, I probably shouldn't push my luck...

Naliyah enters the town and walks the route the guard told her about. Fortunately, for her, on the way to the Collegiate Arcane, she sees Allen's Markets - a grocery store. Naliyah's sensitive nose can no doubt pick up the smells of fresh meat inside, and she enters the establishment.

<<Allen's Markets, Merctown page 56, entry #75>>

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 86 / 25% (+15% for magic or machines)
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 2 / 1d100 = 85

Dust clouds billowing behind her, Lucy is easily pulling over 75% maximum speed down the highway approaching what she hopes is MercTown, making a final push on what had been a long, long journey. She shoots a quick glanced down the Mountaineer's main power gauge. She's still looking good. About half power in them batteries, so we got some leeway before I need to find her a charging station.

As the outer walls of MercTown emerge on the horizon, Lucy starts downshifting and dreaming. It is going to be so so good to get out of this jumpsuit, take a nice long hot bath, find a drink, maybe a quick fling. Oh, and work! Well, genavpak wiavh ij chainukaw! (Gobbley) There's just got to be someone in this town who needs a mechanic - magic wielding or not!

Gobbley
Gently with a chainsaw!

Loudspeaker wrote:ATTENTION! YOU ARE BEING SCANNED BY EVERY PSYCHIC, MAGIC, AND TECHNOLOGICAL MEANS KNOWN. SUBMIT TO THE DEFENDERS AT THE GATES ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED. SURRENDER ALL LONG-ARMS, POWER ARMOR, AND ROBOT COMBAT VEHICLES. REMOVE AND SURRENDER ALL WEAPONS CONTROL CHIPS IN YOUR VEHICLES. ANY RESISTANCE, ATTACK, OR FAILURE TO OBEY THE DEFENDERS WILL BE MET WITH DEADLY FORCE.


Ooo... scans! I wonder what kind of power source these guys are using... probably decades old now. Might be some opportunities there. Lucy slows her approach appropriately, looking for the right lane to handle all 21' of her ride and mentally noting what they might, or might not, consider arms and weapons.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 30% (24% base)
JIC: 1d20 = 9
JIC: 1d100 = 74

Saffron approaches the gate in her Ermine. Slowing to a stop, she places the vehicle in park and hops out. Saffron leans back against her vehicle, arms crossed, as she patiently waits for one of the guards to reach her in the line. Since it looks like it might take some time, she pulls her cigar case out, cuts and lights one up. Puffing away on the thick stogie, she exhales a large cloud of smoke as she watches a guard approach her, having just finished talking to a thin, female blonde in a Mountaineer, "Not bad looking...", she muses as she eyes the Mountaineers owner. As the guard approaches her Saffron straightens up, smiles and asks, "Is this the line for the strip search?".

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:35 pm

Lucille Davis wrote:Dust clouds billowing behind her, Lucy is easily pulling over 75% maximum speed down the highway approaching what she hopes is MercTown, making a final push on what had been a long, long journey. She shoots a quick glanced down the Mountaineer's main power gauge. She's still looking good. About half power in them batteries, so we got some leeway before I need to find her a charging station.

Ooo... scans! I wonder what kind of power source these guys are using... probably decades old now. Might be some opportunities there. Lucy slows her approach appropriately, looking for the right lane to handle all 21' of her ride and mentally noting what they might, or might not, consider arms and weapons.


Two MercTown Defenders approach the big, noisy vehicle. One guard is over 7 feet tall, heavily muscled and is wearing EBA with a dark tinted helmet on, making it impossible to determine what race they are. The other guard is short (just over 5 foot tall) and is wearing repainted Dog Boy armor, because he is a Dog Boy. More specifically, he is a schnauzer with brindle colored fur. Apparently the Dog Boy is in charge, since he is the one who walks up to you directly and hands over a tablet and rattles off in a bored monotone, "List all magic, psychic, and-or supernatural powers. Do not use any aforementioned abilities against other sentient beings while in MercTown. You are required to turn over all long arms here at the gate. You may collect them again on your way out of town. By signing or making your mark at the bottom you acknowledge you understand and accept all MercTown laws." As she works on filling out the form, for a moment, Lucille catches the woman....leering at her?


Saffron Reynolds wrote:Saffron approaches the gate in her Ermine. Slowing to a stop, she places the vehicle in park and hops out. Saffron leans back against her vehicle, arms crossed, as she patiently waits for one of the guards to reach her in the line. Since it looks like it might take some time, she pulls her cigar case out, cuts and lights one up. Puffing away on the thick stogie, she exhales a large cloud of smoke as she watches a guard approach her, having just finished talking to a thin, female blonde in a Mountaineer, "Not bad looking...", she muses as she eyes the Mountaineers owner. As the guard approaches her Saffron straightens up, smiles and asks, "Is this the line for the strip search?".


A pair of average height MercTown Defenders approach Saffron. One is a bulky, bearded man sporting a Juicer injection harness and carrying a Triax make particle beam rifle. He grins at Saffron's comment. The other man is wearing armor that has been shined to perfection, there is only a small trace of dirt around the edges of his boots. Once he opens the visor of his helmet you see a pinched faced man in his 30s. And he is not smiling. In fact, he sneers at Saffron's comment and says in a nasel-y voice, "Ma'am, there is no strip search policy here in MercTown. It is totally unecessary with the various means of detection we have at our disposal.", he sniffs then twitches his impeccable mustache as he hands Saffron a tablet, "Now, if you will fill this form out to the best of your abilities and then sign it, you may enter the city.". He steps back and waits. The Juicer rolls his eyes at his partners back and turns away.
Post a reply