Page 3 of 3

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:34 am
by Major James Smith
Lux BaghDach wrote:Perception: 1d100= Original post: 1d100:
29
/ 42%
JIC: 1d20= Original post: 1d20:
13

JIC: 1d100= Original post: 1d100:
45


Having spent the past few years as a bit of a nomad, recently traveling from town to town across North America, arriving at the gates of MercTown didn’t feel too unfamiliar. She learned to announce her presence and offer up greetings of peace in a few different languages, which proved to be remarkably helpful to avoid getting shot or captured as an enemy invader.

It didn’t hurt that Lux didn’t give the impression of being a physical threat. To those that didn’t know, she was just a tall, pretty girl, whose light eyes shined a bit when she smiled. And she always made a point to smile when announcing herself in a new town.

Approaching the gate of MercTown, the Loudspeaker boomed out:
ATTENTION! YOU ARE BEING SCANNED BY EVERY PSYCHIC, MAGIC, AND TECHNOLOGICAL MEANS KNOWN. SUBMIT TO THE DEFENDERS AT THE GATES ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED. SURRENDER ALL LONG-ARMS, POWER ARMOR, AND ROBOT COMBAT VEHICLES. REMOVE AND SURRENDER ALL WEAPONS CONTROL CHIPS IN YOUR VEHICLES. ANY RESISTANCE, ATTACK, OR FAILURE TO OBEY THE DEFENDERS WILL BE MET WITH DEADLY FORCE.

Lux readied herself for whatever might be beyond the walls, taking a quick mental inventory of the provisions and weapons she carried, and making a brief assessment of her surroundings. Lux took a deep breath, smiled, and called out:

“Hello? Halito vla Achukma! Vengo en paz!”

As Lux approached the gate, a guard stepped out of the booth.


When Lux approaches, a trio of Merctown Defenders approaches to greet her, weapons held in hand, but aimed low. Lux is able to surmise that they're just being cautious, not necessarily reacting to her presence.

One of them allows his rifle to hang down by his side and retrieves a tablet of some kind, while the other two, still holding weapons but aimed low, slowly circle around Lux, looking her up and down, until they return to flank the center guard. He then hands the tablet to Lux - it looks to have numerous languages from which to choose. "Welcome to MercTown. I'm Officer Matthews. As stated, any long arms, power armor, or heavy weaponry will need to be surrendered here. Please fill out the form on this tablet completely. Powers, psionics, magic and the like will need to be reported. We don't need detailed information, just the presence of the abilities. If you can't read, let us know and one of us will assist you with the tablet. As always, truthfulness is the best choice here. If we discover you've hidden or not disclosed something, let's just say we won't be getting off on the right foot. Psionic, magic, and power usage are not prohibited within MercTown, but any violations of another's property or person will be dealt with regardless of the source of said violations. Since we can't ask you to 'surrender' your powers, magic, or psionics, you of course are on your honor - please don't make it harder for other magic, psionic, and power users out there by giving all of you a bad name," he says, looking Lux full in the face to gauge her expressions and awaiting her acknowledgement.

Presuming Lux does not declare any long arms to surrender, and returns the tablet to the center guard, Officer Matthews will continue.

"Alright, Miss.... Lux, it looks like. Form looks good. Here's a map of the city, compliments of the MercTown Defenders. If there aren't any questions, enjoy your stay, and welcome to MercTown," he says, waiting to see if Lux has any questions.

If she does not, Officer Matthews nods, the trio gets out of her way, and Lux is waved into the city.

OOC Comments
Please post where you are going with your reply and link it, like so: Lux goes to the Job Market Cafe

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:28 am
by Wayne Northblade
Perception: 1d100:
100
/46%
JIC: 1d20:
11
/1d100:
28


"Of course they send me to this dusty miserable hellhole. There's no trees, no shade. I've had to walk the last 10 miles." Wayne takes a sip from his canteen. The last sip. "Empty? Damn you, Nightshade Academy. This kit is worse than your students." Wayne shades his eyes from the sun and looks left. "Oh. Well perfect timing for my water to run out. I was going to have to get creative." He takes his hand off of the hilt for his Ice Blade and walks with a purposeful stride toward the MercTown Gates.


MercTown Defenders wrote:
As you approach the massive, fortified, outer walls of MercTown a voice booms at you once you are within five hundred feet or so.

Loudspeaker wrote:ATTENTION! YOU ARE BEING SCANNED BY EVERY PSYCHIC, MAGIC, AND TECHNOLOGICAL MEANS KNOWN. SUBMIT TO THE DEFENDERS AT THE GATES ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED. SURRENDER ALL LONG-ARMS, POWER ARMOR, AND ROBOT COMBAT VEHICLES. REMOVE AND SURRENDER ALL WEAPONS CONTROL CHIPS IN YOUR VEHICLES. ANY RESISTANCE, ATTACK, OR FAILURE TO OBEY THE DEFENDERS WILL BE MET WITH DEADLY FORCE.


Yeah yeah, we get it. You'll cut me in two with a laser. You wouldn't last two minutes in the Celestial Ring. Wayne slows his walk and comes to a halt when he comes across the Defenders. "Defenders? Of what? The Crown? The Faith? The Universe?" He offers an obviously fake smile to show that he's 'friendly' and 'just kidding'.

If asked about long arms, Wayne responds "No sir, never touch the stuff."
If asked about his business, Wayne responds "I've come to make my fortune. Isn't that why we're all here?"

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:24 am
by Lux BaghDach
Perception: 1d100:
91
/42%
JIC: 1d20:
10

JIC 1d100:
86


Lux takes the map from Officer Matthews, says thank you as the gate control arm lifts. Lux has finally arrived at MercTown. She heads off in the direction of the Job Market Cafe.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:01 pm
by Aegis of No Retreat
Wayne Northblade wrote:Wayne slows his walk and comes to a halt when he comes across the Defenders. "Defenders? Of what? The Crown? The Faith? The Universe?" He offers an obviously fake smile to show that he's 'friendly' and 'just kidding'.

If asked about long arms, Wayne responds "No sir, never touch the stuff."
If asked about his business, Wayne responds "I've come to make my fortune. Isn't that why we're all here?"


”MercTown Defenders,” one of the three Defenders says somewhat defensively, ”New Paducah, otherwise known as MercTown.” As if trying to overcompensate, he gestures grandly beyond the gate. The Defender in the rear of the trio gives the speaking Defender a glare from behind his faceplate and the show comes to a grinding halt.

The third Defender, while skimming the tablet in hand, confirms Wayne’s responses. ”No long arms. Seeking fortune.” he speaks into the tablet before glancing at it once more and nodding satisfactorily. ”You are clear to enter. If you seek work and do not yet have a referral, many begin their queries at The Job Market Cafe in the Hub. If you talk to Fixer, mention referral code: 5153.” Wayne quickly surmises that this Defender must get some manner of commission on any mercenaries sent Fixer’s way. But the tone taken seems to suggest that he relies on quantity rather than quality and may send anyone that passes through the gate in Cliff’s direction.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:40 pm
by The Bos
Shen wrote:Shen is radiating (pychics will sense within 100', others within 12'): Calm: Peaceful and somewhat introspective. Others will intuit a genuine sense of goodwill and peaceful intentions, putting them at ease.

The Blind Mystic stops in his tracks.

Tóuxiáng suǒyǒu cháng bì……wǒ xiǎng zhīdào zhè míng gōngzuò rényuán shìfǒu yǒu jiàzhí?* he thinks while referring to his Firestaff. Dāngrán, zhè shì jīguāng shǒuzhàng. Bùguǎn shì bùshì zài kāiwánxiào, mìngyùn dōu shì jiāo gěi wǒ de, suǒyǐ wǒ huì chōngfèn lìyòng tā.

Translation
Surrender all long arms... I wonder if this staff counts? Certainly, this laser cane does. Whether a joke or not, it is what fate handed to me, so I shall make the most of it.


He then continues to move forward at a blind man's shuffling speed... which, given Shen is considerably faster than a normal human, is almost at a normal person's pace... tapping the ground before him with his cane before every step, and taking in the sounds and smells of his environment, his senses forming a mental picture of everything around.

If he hears the Defenders approach, Shen will stop and look in their direction, removing his sunglasses so they can see his blindness clearly. "I am Shen," he says simply. "I have come to offer my help, and to barter. I have a laser cane for bartering, which, as you can imagine, I have difficulty using for its intended purpose as a weapon of range," he quips, with a slight smile coming up on the corners of his mouth to emphasize the jest. "I also have a magic staff. Do either of these count as... what did you call it, 'long arms'? I would like to barter them away for other things, provided that is allowed," he says to the Defenders.

Then, as if suddenly aware of his conundrum: "Do you know of a place where such bartering is transacted, and how I might get there?" he will ask.

Once the Defenders see and acknowledge Shen's blindness, he will replace the sunglasses and compliantly and cheerfully accommodate any Defender requests.


The Defender sighs slightly, his head still down at his tablet. "Of course it's allowed. Where d'ya think--" he looks up and sees Shen's condition. "Oh. Right. Sorry about that. A magic staff and laser cane, you say? You can probably find a buyer for the cane somewhere in the Arms Bazaar, while the Mystic Quarter may be a better bet for the staff. But really I can't think of a specific store you should visit or else I'd... Hang on a sec." He turns his head. "CARL!!!!"

In a few seconds a teenage boy (age 17-19) runs up. "Young Mr. Karl here is interning with the Defenders this semester," the guard says as he turns his attention back to Shen. "Don't let his age fool you though; he was born here and knows the city like the back of his hand. Carl, Mr. Shen here is looking to sell off his magic staff and laser cane. Why don't you help him around town until his business is done? Oh, and welcome to MercTown sir."

The boy nods and replies in a rather high-pitched voice. "Aye aye, sir. Mr. Shen, if you'll follow me..." he leads Shen away from the checkpoint and in through the gates. "So what brings you to MercTown, sir? And which of your items would you like to try and sell first?"

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:15 pm
by Shen
**rolls held**

Shen is radiating (pychics will sense within 100', others within 12'): Calm: Peaceful and somewhat introspective. Others will intuit a genuine sense of goodwill and peaceful intentions, putting them at ease.



The Bos wrote:The Defender sighs slightly, his head still down at his tablet. "Of course it's allowed. Where d'ya think--" he looks up and sees Shen's condition. "Oh. Right. Sorry about that. A magic staff and laser cane, you say? You can probably find a buyer for the cane somewhere in the Arms Bazaar, while the Mystic Quarter may be a better bet for the staff. But really I can't think of a specific store you should visit or else I'd... Hang on a sec." He turns his head. "CARL!!!!"

In a few seconds a teenage boy (age 17-19) runs up. "Young Mr. Karl here is interning with the Defenders this semester," the guard says as he turns his attention back to Shen. "Don't let his age fool you though; he was born here and knows the city like the back of his hand. Carl, Mr. Shen here is looking to sell off his magic staff and laser cane. Why don't you help him around town until his business is done? Oh, and welcome to MercTown sir."

The boy nods and replies in a rather high-pitched voice. "Aye aye, sir. Mr. Shen, if you'll follow me..." he leads Shen away from the checkpoint and in through the gates.


The Blind Mystic will bow graciously to the Defender when he calls for Carl. "Thank you kindly, sir, for your courtesy and hospitality. I wish you well." He then waits patiently for the young man to arrive.

When the young man comes, Shen will bow in the direction of the young man's voice. "Thank you, young man. It is nice to have the help of one who is sighted when moving through unfamiliar areas," he says, putting away his cane for the moment and reaching out to take the young man's arm. "I hope this is not too cumbersome for you, leading a blind fool around..." he says to Carl, listening for the young man's response.

“Zài jiālǐ, yīgè niánqīng rén yīnggāi shì yīgè hǎo er zi, zài wàimiàn shí, tā yīnggāi xiàng xiōngdì yīyàng duìdài biérén, tā de jǔzhǐ yīnggāi shì zhídé xìnrèn hé shìdàng de, bìngqiě yīnggāi rè'ài guǎngdà rénmín, bìng shǐ zìjǐ yǔ réncí hé dàodé de rén bǎochí qīnmì guānxì. Rúguǒ zài suǒyǒu zhèxiē huódòng zhīhòu, tā yǒu zúgòu de jīnglì yào bǎoliú, tā yīnggāi guǎngfàn yuèdú yǐ bǎochí xiūyǎng.” thinks the Blind Mystic, remembering a Confucian saying that comes to mind while being lead by Carl.

Translation
"At home, a young man should be a good son, when outside he should treat others like his brothers, his behaviour should be one of trustworthy and proper, and should love the multitude at large and keep himself close to people of benevolence and morality. If after all these activities, he has any energy to spare, he should read widely to stay cultivated."


Carl wrote:"So what brings you to MercTown, sir? And which of your items would you like to try and sell first?"


"Young man, I am here to barter some of the items I have in favor of other ones that may be more...useful to me. The first is this laser cane here. I am told it is a 'Wilks' model. Do you know where a good place to sell it might be?"

Presuming Carl recommends the Wilks store, Shen will then go with him to that place, talking with Carl along the way and listening to his guide's descriptions and advice.

<<The Wilks Store>>

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:58 pm
by Wayne Northblade
Perception: 1d100:
100
/46%
JIC: 1d20:
10
/1d100:
69


"Thank you but my path has already been drawn out for me." Wayne replies to the Defender with an annoyed tone that couldn't have stemmed solely from this short interaction. Off to find this Spooky Squad or whatever my future acquaintances have decided to call themselves. But first, perhaps a spot of ye olde spendy spend? Didn't get this money from that dead man for nothing.

Wayne enters MercTown without so much as another look back toward the Defenders and heads to the Arms Bazaar. Specifically, the Northern Gun Store.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:33 pm
by Sir Thorn
Perception [61%]: 1d100:
98

JiC D20: 1d20:
15

JiC D100: 1d100:
28


Conditions: Combat Awareness: Advanced (Receives = +2 Strike/Parry, +1 Dodge, All Tech Wielding Opponents = All tech based bonuses negated, -1 Attacks, & -2 to Dodge), Titan Plate Armor [-10% SPD, -15% Prowl, -5% Physical Skills // Psionic Electromagnetic Dampers - +2 vs. Psi, +1 vs Illusion/Mind Control], Autododge v Tech, Cloud Sensors & Targetting (Cannot be accurately detected with Sensors)




The lights of Merctown glow behind the surrounding city walls. They can be seen for miles in the darkness surrounding wilderness, a beacon of civility or what passes for it these days. The Tokanni rolls his neck and shoulders absently, his knees grasping the robot steed beneath him, *Ahhh Brimstone, no Earth-horse could run through the night like you. Day and night for almost a week now through Mexico and up through the Pecos Empire. But have we arrived in time? Need to bring the Spooks word of this Nxla thing ... Old Petrov said they would be needed, that ...*

Just less than a 1/2 mile out from town, the rider's massive hand reaches up and taps the release on his helm to let in the night air and the robot beneath begins to slow for final approach. Once hailed by the Defenders the D-bee slides from his saddle to hand over long arms with a greeting, "Sir Thorfinn Skullsplitter of the Spook Squad, based out of the Hub. It's good to be home."

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:41 am
by Aegis of No Retreat
Sir Thorn swears that even the smell of New Paducah is distinct and is glad to have returned ‘home’.

He finds no difficulty with Defenders’ check-in at the gate. It would seem as though his legend has not diminished during his time in the Pecos Empire. He is met with respect, admiration and fear by the guards in attendance. The cocktail is intoxicating.

Thorn is expedited through the gate and allowed re-entry into MercTown.

((Please post destination))

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:11 am
by Sir Thorn
Perception [72%]: 1d100:
23

JiC D20: 1d20:
3

JiC D100: 1d100:
40


Conditions: Combat Awareness: Advanced (Receives = +2 Strike/Parry, +1 Dodge, All Tech Wielding Opponents = All tech based bonuses negated, -1 Attacks, & -2 to Dodge), Titan Plate Armor [-10% SPD, -15% Prowl, -5% Physical Skills // Psionic Electromagnetic Dampers - +2 vs. Psi, +1 vs Illusion/Mind Control], Autododge v Tech, Cloud Sensors & Targetting (Cannot be accurately detected with Sensors)




Thorn offers a smile, or what passes for a smile with an exoskeleton and teeth that look like steak knives and thanks the Defenders. The Tokanii then hauls himself back into the saddle to trot at a mich more reasonable speed through the streets of Merctown to reach a dark edifice he remembers overseeing the construction of not to many years ago, *The Haunt ... looks good. No damage. No signs of any recent trouble. Looks like things are running fairly smooth.*

[[ The Haunt ]]