Page 1 of 1

Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:42 pm
by Merchant of Death
Image

As you approach the massive, fortified, outer walls of MercTown a voice booms at you once you are within five hundred feet or so.

Loudspeaker wrote:ATTENTION! YOU ARE BEING SCANNED BY EVERY PSYCHIC, MAGIC, AND TECHNOLOGICAL MEANS KNOWN. SUBMIT TO THE DEFENDERS AT THE GATES ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED. SURRENDER ALL LONG-ARMS, POWER ARMOR, AND ROBOT COMBAT VEHICLES. REMOVE AND SURRENDER ALL WEAPONS CONTROL CHIPS IN YOUR VEHICLES. ANY RESISTANCE, ATTACK, OR FAILURE TO OBEY THE DEFENDERS WILL BE MET WITH DEADLY FORCE.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:09 pm
by Kat Porter
Perception: 1d20+5 = 6
JIC d20: 1d20 = 2
JIC d100: 1d100 = 19

Current Effects: Encumbered.

A dusty, ragged, overburdened armored figure slowly approaches the gates on foot. The figure is getting even more layers as each vehicle passes by in either direction.

I can't believe I hiked all this crap twenty miles back to MercTown. I think I'm beginning to see why shipping costs are so high. Hell at 40 miles, I'd need a new spine.

Kat wordlessly hands over her (likely dust-covered) ID card and her (undoubtedly dust-caked) Duffle Bag and L-20 Rifle. The City Rat then sets down her backpack and creates a dust cloud by beating herself off as best she can.

Kat mutters to herself "Home, sweet home." I need a bath, this armor needs repairs, my backup needs repairs, I need a drink, and I need to check on Mom and Jason. After the drink and bath. Drink. Bath. No? Bath. Drink. Yes. Bath. Drink. Sleep. Mom and Jason. Repairs. Kat nods to herself, as if the world was suddenly arranged perfectly.

Only when the guard head back does Kat's brain really engage. Zeus, please let that nonsense in the Swap Meet be ancient history.

If everything checks out, Kat hefts her backpack, says "Thanks. Stay safe." and wanders into town at least 40 pounds lighter.

(Hub--- Ambassador Suites (33))

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:07 am
by John Altfeld
As John approaches the gates of MercTown, he repeatedly goes through a checklist in his head. First check in with Taen, then sell the furs, then find a place to stay, then look for work. He looks warily at the crowd, trying to pick out any Coalition troops. Hope there's no Coalition around, heard MercTown is friendly to them. And if they are here, hope I can drag them into an alley...

John answers most questions on the form honestly, including name, but if there's a section for 'powers' he only fills in Can Control Housecats.

Perception: 1d20+3 = 21
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 6 / 1d100 = 68

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:46 pm
by Ernstweavel
Perception: 1d20+1 = 11
JIC: 1d20 = 181d100 = 17

Ernstweavel slowly meandered his way towards the front gate. Tightening his grip on his staff with every stride. His eyes shifting from side to side, erratically. Thinking to himself Shit! How I hate new towns but I need a drink badly. Still got to watch out for those damn CS boys. I don't need anymore of them. Keep quiet and don't stay long is all I need to do but first that drink.

Ernstweavel reluctantly walks up to the first guard he looked upon. With a bit of dryness in his voice, Ernst asks “Where can I find the nearest establishment that serves local refreshments? Also, in what direction is the Mage's quarter?” Ernst adjusts his weight and leans on his staff, patiently waiting for the reply.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:06 am
by John Altfeld
Since the guards seem to have no special interest in John, we makes his way through the crowd and goes to visit his friend Taen at Badgerbold Cartographers http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=6419.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:24 pm
by Augur
John and Ernstweavel are both confronted by a guard who is clearly going through the motions. He hands each a simple brochure (in English and Spanish) filled with few words and lots of iconic symbols denoting all the various districts and major venues in each. He then listens to his earpiece. He looks up to Ernstweavel. "You're a mage. You should know the rules. Head to the Collegiate if you need a refresher."

He then looks at John. "You're an aberration. Don't use your abilities to violate the personal or property rights of anyone in town, or you'll be registered and banished at the very least. Enjoy your stay."

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:46 pm
by Ernstweavel
Ernstweavel takes the boucher from the guard and nods in agreement and uttering a half hearted "Thanks." After adjusting his backpack, Ernstweavel begins to walk through the city gates. Thinking to himself Man, if these guards are this relaxed all the time, I should keep my eyes open. Who knows what might have sliped passed them. As Ernstweavel starts to wandering past all of the various townfolk, he is brought back into reality. After scanning the street to find his bearings, he quickens his stride to quench his thirst.

>> The Job Market Cafe (30) <<

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:49 am
by John Altfeld
Augur wrote:He then looks at John. "You're an aberration. Don't use your abilities to violate the personal or property rights of anyone in town, or you'll be registered and banished at the very least. Enjoy your stay."


John mutters to himself "You're an aberration." Then he raises his voice, "Thank you, of course I won't violate anything. I take it you're not a cat person?"

Exeunt to >>Badgerbold Cartographers (96)<<

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:29 pm
by Two Claws
Perception:1d20 = 20
JIC: 1d20 = 20 / 1d100 = 21

Two Claws sits upon her trusty steed, Has Has. Slowing down to a slow walk as the city gates come into veiw. The closer they get the more anxious Two Claws gets. Covered in sweat and dirt from the long days of traviling. All she wants is a hot bath and then get back into the saddle and take down a few criminals. Two Claws always enjoyed the thrill of the hunt. Putting her skills the max. Trying to see where her limits are and then seeing if she can surpass it. When the guards come into veiw, Two Claws tightens her grip on the reigns. She always hated learing new laws and customs but then it's a part of the job. She stops Has Has just in front of the guards. "Which ways to the bath house?" Speaking sternly as not to show any weakness and waiting stoically for a reply.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:23 pm
by Susan Lee
Susan approaches the city gates of Merctown cautiously, looking around at the crowds, intimidated. There are SO MANY warriors here! I had heard, but it's different seeing it first hand!

When the guard hands her the form, she fills it out scrupulously and checks her answers three times.

I don't even know where to start, this Job Market Cafe might be the best place to start putting together an exploratory expedition? It's as good a place as any to try first, I suppose.

She then walks to the Job Market Cafe (30).

Perception: 1d20+2 = 13
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 6 / 1d100 = 93

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:24 am
by Two Claws
-Rolls carried over-

Waiting patiently for reply of the guards, Two Claws' frustration begins to mount. Not wanting to upset or offend them, she does ger best to keep her composure. Having enough of of their inability for a response, she proceeds Has Has through the guard and gates. Afterwards she then starts making her way to business district. Surley there someone will give her more aid than whats she's getting now.

Finds her way to --The Spokes--

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:23 am
by Consumer
A gate guard eventually makes their way to Two Claws. "Morning Ma'am, first time to our city?" He questions, while pulling a small electronic tablet from his utility belt. "We have some basic rules, no power armor or robot combat vehicles, No long arms or explosives, and no demonic creatures." The guard looks the young Totem Warrior up and down, obviously checking her obvious belongings. "You don't seem to have anything of the sort, and none of our scanners seem to have an issue with you. So I'll just need you to fill out this form real quick to the best of your ability." The young man says as he hands the tablet to Two Claws. "If you do not know how to read, press the button in the right corner and the device will read each question for you and accept vocal input for the answers." The young guard waits while Two Claws fills out the form, before taking it and looking it over real quick. "All seems in order, you'll likely want to stable your horse at the Ostrosaurus Express, they're real good with animals of all kinds. If you're looking for work I suggest the Job Market Cafe. It's really a hub of mercenary activity." The young man says before handing Two Claws a paper brochure-style map of the city with the major sites marked on it. "To help you get around a little easier. Have a pleasant day" The guard says before moving on to the next person in line.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:58 pm
by Corrigan
Perception: 1d20 | 1d20 = 19
JIC #1: 1d20 | 1d20 = 2
JIC #2: 1d100 | 1d100 = 32
Init: 1d20+2 | 1d20+2 = 5

Corrigan arrives in MercTown with a trade caravan.

Drawing her pay of twenty thousand credits, she departs their camp a little ways outside of MercTown and makes her way towards the gates with her pack snugly on her back and her rifle slung lazily over her shoulder. It's been a long trip but she's full of the anticipation that comes from returning to a familiar setting. MercTown isn't Kingsdale and it never will be, but the come and go of armed people and the movement of technology and vehicles is a good feeling to her.

Anywhere but in the kitchen. She thinks to herself as she joins the queue of people waiting to see the guards and clear 'customs'.

She's pleasant, and offers a smile when she reaches them.

These people are just doing their jobs afterall.

"Aye, what'll it be? How many pounds of paperwork?" She asks, the smile turning into a genuine one.

Any forms that are reasonable will be filled out, though she lists 'Ironwind' as her last name -- her maiden name, rather than any married one.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:46 pm
by Townsend
((OOC: Aw, nuts. Someone did a really good standard spiel and now it's been wiped clean. Oh well.))


Corrigan wrote:"Aye, what'll it be? How many pounds of paperwork?" She asks, the smile turning into a genuine one.


"Morning Ma'am, first time to our city?" The guard smiles black while pulling a small electronic tablet from his utility belt and hands it to Corrigan. "We have some basic rules -- don't violate the personal or property rights of anyone in town, no power armor or robot combat vehicles, No long-barrel arms, heavy weapons or explosives, and no demonic creatures. Please fill out this form to the best of your ability. If you do not know how to read, press the button in the right corner and the device will read each question for you and accept vocal input for the answers."

Once the lady dwarf (dwarfette?) hands it back to him he looks over it while holding his hand up to his ear. "Yep, everything seems to be in order, but you'll need to hand over that rifle of yours before you go in. There's a security center just over there and they'll give you a claim ticket so you can retrieve it when you come back out..." he points to a structure just to the side and behind him. "If you're looking for work I suggest the Job Market Cafe. Lots of jobs posted and you can often find groups looking to hire on hands." He hands Corrigan a paper map of the city and draws a circle around the JMC's location. "Here you go, this should help you get around town better. Don't worry if you lose it, we have more at the other guard posts and most of the larger merchants have them as well. And welcome to MercTown!"

The guard nods and smiles once more before moving on to the next person in line.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:19 pm
by Corrigan
Perception: 1d20 | 1d20 = 18
JIC #1: 1d20 | 1d20 = 8
JIC #2: 1d100 | 1d100 = 12
Init: 1d20+2 | 1d20+2 = 3

Well, that's not so bad.

Corrigan murmurs to herself, thumbing through the various questions and answering them.

She hands the pad back, but keeps the map.

"Can probably keep to that set of rules."

A small grin, and then she remembers that law enforcement in these places never has any sense of humor.

"I'll keep out of trouble. Thankye for your time."

The first thing that she does is hunt down a smoke, not go to the place recommended. Wherever in MercTown she can find it, a few quality cigars, a good quality pipe and a supply of several types of very fine tobacco. She also takes the time to hunt down a good quality SDC, lever-action rifle (45-70 caliber, please.), as well as 100 rounds of ammunition, 50 empty brass rounds, 50 primers and enough power to make 50 strong reloads.

/Then/ when everything is comfortably secured and distributed in her pack and among her person does she head into MercTown.
OOC: Just let me know how much!

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm
by Jack McDermott
Perception: 1d100 = 95
JiC: 1d20 = 10 / 1d100 = 37

The gates of Merctown! as Jack rides up, he thinks to himself, maybe this time I can make a go of it. The money is almost gone, and resources are running thin. It might be time to make some friends, but who? It had been a long ride and Jack was ready to get off the boar and find something to eat. I hope I don’t have any troubles getting in. Jack stops for a second to put his face buff on under his helmet then continues on.

As he gets closer the voice booms… Dang, these guys are more paranoid than I am. ” I’ll Comply, Don’t worry.” Jack hands over the required items and asks “ Where can I get a good bite to eat?”

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:04 pm
by Zoe Barenger
"Morning Sir, first time visiting?" The guard smiles while pulling a small electronic tablet from his utility belt and hands it to Jack. "We have some basic rules -- don't violate the personal or property rights of anyone in town, no power armor or robot combat vehicles, No long-barrel arms, heavy weapons or explosives, and no demonic creatures. Please fill out this form to the best of your ability. If you do not know how to read, press the button in the right corner and the device will read each question for you and accept vocal input for the answers." The guard steps back and waits for Jack to finish


Once Jack hands it back to him, the guard looks over it. "Yep, everything seems to be in order, but you'll need to hand over that rifle of yours before you go in. There's a security center just over there and they'll give you a claim ticket so you can retrieve it when you come back out..." he points to a structure just to the side and behind him. "If you're looking for work I suggest the Job Market Cafe. Lots of jobs posted and you can often find groups looking to hire on hands." He hands over a paper map of the city and draws a circle around the JMC's location. "Here you go, this should help you get around town better. Don't worry if you lose it, we have more at the other guard posts and most of the larger merchants have them as well. And welcome to MercTown!"

The guard nods and smiles once more before moving on to the next person in line.

Re: Welcome to MercTown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:16 pm
by Jack McDermott
Perception 1d100 = 57
JIC 1d20 = 20 1d100 = 37

Zoe Barenger wrote:"Morning Sir, first time visiting?" The guard smiles while pulling a small electronic tablet from his utility belt and hands it to Jack. "We have some basic rules -- don't violate the personal or property rights of anyone in town, no power armor or robot combat vehicles, No long-barrel arms, heavy weapons or explosives, and no demonic creatures. Please fill out this form to the best of your ability. If you do not know how to read, press the button in the right corner and the device will read each question for you and accept vocal input for the answers." The guard steps back and waits for Jack to finish


Well, this guy seems friendly enough, not at all what I expected. I wonder if he has some kind of agenda? Maybe he is trying to lull me into a false sense of security... Jack thinks to himself

Zoe Barenger wrote:Once Jack hands it back to him, the guard looks over it. "Yep, everything seems to be in order, but you'll need to hand over that rifle of yours before you go in. There's a security center just over there and they'll give you a claim ticket so you can retrieve it when you come back out..." he points to a structure just to the side and behind him. "If you're looking for work I suggest the Job Market Cafe. Lots of jobs posted and you can often find groups looking to hire on hands." He hands over a paper map of the city and draws a circle around the JMC's location. "Here you go, this should help you get around town better. Don't worry if you lose it, we have more at the other guard posts and most of the larger merchants have them as well. And welcome to MercTown!"


'I appreciate your time." Jack tells the guard. He walks over to the security center the man pointed out and hands over his rifle and waits for his ticket. Once Jack recieves his ticket he politely says "Thank you" hops on boar and heads over to the hub to find the Job Market café.