One-Eyed Jacks (178)

The slums of MercTown. Be careful what you do and say...the Merctown Defenders don't often come here.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Jezebel » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:07 am

Perception: 74% / 1d100 = 37
JIC: 1d20 = 10 / 1d100 = 32
Conditions: Critical strike on 18-20, K.O. on N20, Energy Resistance
Charm/Impress: 60% / 1d100 = 20
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88% / 1d100 = 23
Seduction 35% / 1d100 = 1 EPIC MOTHERFUCKING CRIT SUCCESS!

Underguard wrote:Both Jez and Susan notice that at least one person sitting at the bar seems acutely interested in their conversations; he looks like one of the two that followed them from the other joint, but it's too hard to tell for sure.
Valrún wrote:"But since we are asking questions, what are you Jez? Humans aren't that strong. Nema þeir séu á lyfjum"

Jez lightly squints behind her goggles. That's none of your business. Slightly more cagey than her thoughts, Jez answers "I'm not from around here. That much is obvious." Jez downs the light beer Susan poured into her glass and says quietly to Val, "Excuse me for a moment, but we've been tailed and I want to get some answers as to why." Jez steps away from the bar, pulls loose her hair from her standard pony tail, unzips the front of her fatigues a bit, and slides up to the other side of the fellow Susan's trying to buy a drink for. She lets her hair distractingly cascade over the shoulder of her fatigues and leans in close enough for the fellow to feel her proximity. "Susan, you can't just go around stealing the handsome ones for yourself. You'll make a girl jealous." Jez smiles mischievously.
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Conditions
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/1550
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)

Image
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Valrún » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:20 pm

ROLLS HELD
Charm/Impress 1d100 = 19/55% Success
Trust/Intimidate 1d100 = 16/94% Success

Val gives the bartender a penetrating look, "Barkeep, where I come from mixing up mead and beer is a capitol offense. People can and do die over such a tiny little thing. I would really hope I don't have to test out the laws of this place over such a simple thing. So can I please a pitcher of mead this time?" Bad enough I'm having to deal with less than quality drink here, the least he can do is give me the right piss poor alcohol. She then look over at Susan "Really, taking a girls drink kind of sets a bad example. Are all the people from this Lazlo place so rude? I really hope we can be friends, but if you keep stealing my drinks, that might be difficult." She delivers the information to the both of them in a very casual, almost cheerful voice.

Jezebel wrote:Jez lightly squints behind her goggles. That's none of your business. Slightly more cagey than her thoughts, Jez answers "I'm not from around here. That much is obvious."


"Well that makes two of us then." I guess I'm not the only one who isn't going to advertise where they are from. Although if I was from a backwater dimension, I probably wouldn't want to make that known either. Ekki það heimili er einmitt að bjóða utanaðkomandi.

Jezebel wrote:Jez downs the light beer Susan poured into her glass and says quietly to Val, "Excuse me for a moment, but we've been tailed and I want to get some answers as to why." Jez steps away from the bar, pulls loose her hair from her standard pony tail, unzips the front of her fatigues a bit, and slides up to the other side of the fellow Susan's trying to buy a drink for. She lets her hair distractingly cascade over the shoulder of her fatigues and leans in close enough for the fellow to feel her proximity. "Susan, you can't just go around stealing the handsome ones for yourself. You'll make a girl jealous." Jez smiles mischievously.


Val lights up at the thought of a little excitement. Kannski reynist þessi bar skemmtilegur eftir allt saman. Val look at the man, then at Jez. "He's cute. Maybe we can share. He looks like he might be fun. Til að fæða í dreka. So, Mr Cute, do you have a name?" Val flashes him one of her most charming, trustworthy smiles.




Translations
Ekki það heimili er einmitt að bjóða utanaðkomandi. - Not that home is exactly inviting to outsiders.
Kannski reynist þessi bar skemmtilegur eftir allt saman - Maybe this bar will prove entertaining after all
Til að fæða í dreka - For feeding to a dragon.
Do not PM this account. PM Dodsrike instead.

OOC Comments
Goddess in the Making
M.D.C.: 158/158
P.P.E.: 233/233

Constant Effects
Fire and Cold Resistant 1/2 damage
Bio-regenerates 1d6x5 M.D.C. per minutes (4 melees)
Sense Rifts 90 mile radius
Sense Ley Line 30 mile radius
Sense Magic in Use 300' radius
User avatar
Valrún
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Underguard » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:15 am

Mini-Update

[At the Holdem Table]

As Lucille continues to taunt the table with her second victory in a row, her eye catches the obvious glint of a embroidered silver cylinder being obscured by the new player who sat next to her, she also notices Megan is firing daggers into the man's back with her eyes. Lucille isn't sure, but it seems like the cylinder is regal, or at the very least, by design, extremely fancy. Megan, unfortunately doesn't see anything beyond the side of the man's head, at which she is firing invisible daggers with her eyes at him like she is ready to pounce, Lucille notices the man shift uncomfortably and is not surprised when he leans to her. "Not a bad couple of hands. This your first time playing?" He asks, as he glances around, Lucille can tell he is looking at the bar before he turns back to her; Lucille also notes that Jez, Susan and some blonde are practically cornering some guy at the bar.

[At the bar]

Another one of the bartenders rushes over, the same one that had been supplying Val before the crew showed up, with a different pitcher, swiftly apologizing and pulling her fellow to the side, though only Jez can hear them talking. "Mead, you dipshit. This woman drinks like a damn viking or something. Get it right next time, remember half the patrons here could probably level the place before the Defenders showed up. Happy Patrons. Happy Bar."

Susan turns to the unidentified man and offers him a drink as he finishes his cup, he nearly coughs at the bluntness, though answers. "Shipping out, actually. Not sure when yet, still figuring some of the details out..." He says slowly as he feels Jez's presence next to him as she moves to the side of him. Jez can see he is obviously flustered and hears him mutter. "Shit." As he turns to look at Jez with a nearly intoxicated gaze at the beauty. Much to his chagrin, the nearly as beautiful blonde also approaches him and flashes him a smile that'd make most men or women melt. Susan is completely overshadowed by the two beauties that, with her, practically surround the man at the bar.
Image
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
AA Professional Services GM || GIRLS GM|| Theme Song
PCs: Ronan (Spook Squad) | Culter (CS 40-4th) | Scythe (PW GR) | Venenifer (Atlantis)|| EP Ledger
User avatar
Underguard
Game Master
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Location: AA Professional Services and GIRLS GM - nphilip90s

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Jezebel » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Perception: 74% / 1d100 = 73
JIC: 1d20 = 6 / 1d100 = 97
Conditions: Critical strike on 18-20, K.O. on N20, Energy Resistance
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88% / 1d100 = 80 (to persuade the man to speak openly)
Interrogation 95% / 1d100 = 69 (to get some straight answers out of this jerk)
Intelligence 78% / 1d100 = 10 (to discern who this guy is really working for)
Undercover Ops 70% / 1d100 = 33 (to discern who this guy is really working for)

Underguard wrote:[At the bar]Susan turns to the unidentified man and offers him a drink as he finishes his cup, he nearly coughs at the bluntness, though answers. "Shipping out, actually. Not sure when yet, still figuring some of the details out..." He says slowly as he feels Jez's presence next to him as she moves to the side of him. Jez can see he is obviously flustered and hears him mutter. "Shit." As he turns to look at Jez with a nearly intoxicated gaze at the beauty. Much to his chagrin, the nearly as beautiful blonde also approaches him and flashes him a smile that'd make most men or women melt. Susan is completely overshadowed by the two beauties that, with her, practically surround the man at the bar.

Likely frakkin' story, shipwreck. Jez smiles like a piranha at the man. "Gee, I sure do like ships. Spent the better part of my life on one, actually. So which ship is it? What's the name? I assume it's docked at one of the piers adjacent to the shipyard, yeah? Who's your captain? He a prick, a cool head, pretends to be one of the chums, or what?" Jez leans in close to his ear and whispers, "Look, mate, you've been made. Maybe you're new at this, but make this a pain in my ass and I'll make sure you experience pain you'll never forget. I'm gonna ask you some actual questions and I expect honest answers." She leans back away from ear with a publicly broadcast mischievous smile. "What say we take our conversation to a booth, eh?"
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Conditions
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/1550
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)

Image
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Valrún » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:06 pm

Perception 1d100 = 26 /37% (+5% on ley line)
JIC d20 1d20 = 6 / d100 1d100 = 15
Charm/Impress 1d100 = 75/55%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate 1d100 = 57/94%


Underguard wrote:Susan turns to the unidentified man and offers him a drink as he finishes his cup, he nearly coughs at the bluntness, though answers. "Shipping out, actually. Not sure when yet, still figuring some of the details out..." He says slowly as he feels Jez's presence next to him as she moves to the side of him. Jez can see he is obviously flustered and hears him mutter. "Shit." As he turns to look at Jez with a nearly intoxicated gaze at the beauty. Much to his chagrin, the nearly as beautiful blonde also approaches him and flashes him a smile that'd make most men or women melt. Susan is completely overshadowed by the two beauties that, with her, practically surround the man at the bar.


Val flashes the man another smile, "Shipping out eh, well, I suppose we should make this a memorable night for you. I'm pretty certain we could come up with something beneficial to all of us." Well this will prove entertaining if nothing else. I wonder what the poor guy did to deserve this. Might as well play along with my new acquaintances, who knows, it might turn into something longer term. Val makes sure she moves in a way that whets the poor guys imagination of what could be memorable for the night.

Jezebel wrote:She leans back away from ear with a publicly broadcast mischievous smile. "What say we take our conversation to a booth, eh?"


"Why what a wonderful idea Jez. I'm sure we could use some privacy for entertaining this gentleman. Maybe even a private room, I'm sure an establishment such as this would have someplace nice and cozy." Hopefully soundproofed as well, pretty sure this is not going to end up how this guy thinks it will. As she says this Val reaches out and gives the mans cheek a soft stroke with the tips of her fingers.
Do not PM this account. PM Dodsrike instead.

OOC Comments
Goddess in the Making
M.D.C.: 158/158
P.P.E.: 233/233

Constant Effects
Fire and Cold Resistant 1/2 damage
Bio-regenerates 1d6x5 M.D.C. per minutes (4 melees)
Sense Rifts 90 mile radius
Sense Ley Line 30 mile radius
Sense Magic in Use 300' radius
User avatar
Valrún
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Lucille Davis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:42 am

Perception: 1d100 = 46 / 28% (+15% for magic or machines)
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 13 / 1d100 = 30

Lucy's attention swims back up from her victories at the table, reminding her that a) they were, not just a couple of hours ago, in the middle of a murder/assassination, and therefore b) they were probably not totally out of the woods just yet. Bothering for the first time in a while to take in her surroundings, it's Megan's piercing visual line that gives her reason to give a second glance at the cylinder glinting under the harsh overhead lighting currently illuminating the cards table. Now what do we have here? Lucy muses to herself and the dealer distributes winnings and begins shuffling the deck.

Underguard wrote:Lucille notices the man shift uncomfortably and is not surprised when he leans to her. "Not a bad couple of hands. This your first time playing?" He asks, as he glances around, Lucille can tell he is looking at the bar before he turns back to her; Lucille also notes that Jez, Susan and some blonde are practically cornering some guy at the bar.


Blushing at the sudden knowledge that she's become a center of attention, she tries out a reply. "I suppose in games of luck and chance, experience may not be the dominant term in short runs." she says, surprising herself with her choice of vocabulary. Having now started speaking, and never one for reading social cues correctly, she then blurts out "So, what's your name and what you packing in there?" indicating the silver tube in a way that makes obvious to Megan and anyone else around the table that the man's unusual posture is the result of sitting on something awkwardly. Obliviously carrying on, having forgotten any potential danger that she had mere moments ago recalled, she crashes into, "Oh, and you waiting for someone at the bar? I've got some friends over there too!" She gives a quick awkward wave to Jez and Susan who are busy womanhandling a barkeep with some very tall blond bombshell. "And this here is Megan. I'm sure she'll be pleased as me to make your acquaintance." She turns back to Megan far too late to take up any cue from her as to whether this introduction was at all wanted, appropriate, or required.
Lucille Davis / Ledger
Current Status
S.D.C.: 29/29
H.P.: 25/25
P.P.E.: 127/131
I.S.P.: 22/22
Armor M.D.C.: 42/32 (+10 to the chest and neck area)

Image
User avatar
Lucille Davis
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 11:53 am
Location: emhusband@gmail.com

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Susan Lee » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 93
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 4 / 1d100 = 28

Susan smiles and grabs her glass.

Excellent, now I don't have to pretend to be bait anymore.

She follows Jez and Val to the booth. Then she injects the man with truth serum from her finger needle.
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Megan Price » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:45 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 40/63% (+15% when either Multi-Optic Eyes or Amplified Hearing are active, +30% when both are active)
Just In Case: 1d100 = 16/1d20 = 5
Constant Effects: Sound Filtration System, Universal Head-Jack
Current Effects, Other: Amplified Hearing

Lucille Davis wrote:Blushing at the sudden knowledge that she's become a center of attention, she tries out a reply. "I suppose in games of luck and chance, experience may not be the dominant term in short runs." she says, surprising herself with her choice of vocabulary. Having now started speaking, and never one for reading social cues correctly, she then blurts out "So, what's your name and what you packing in there?" indicating the silver tube in a way that makes obvious to Megan and anyone else around the table that the man's unusual posture is the result of sitting on something awkwardly. Obliviously carrying on, having forgotten any potential danger that she had mere moments ago recalled, she crashes into, "Oh, and you waiting for someone at the bar? I've got some friends over there too!" She gives a quick awkward wave to Jez and Susan who are busy womanhandling a barkeep with some very tall blond bombshell. "And this here is Megan. I'm sure she'll be pleased as me to make your acquaintance." She turns back to Megan far too late to take up any cue from her as to whether this introduction was at all wanted, appropriate, or required.


Megan chances a glance over to Jez to see if she shows any acknowledgement of receiving any radio messages. DAMN! Just my luck that she wouldn't have a radio on her! Not knowing what military sign language Jez might know, or if she's even paying attention given that she's apparently trying to seduce the other person tailing them until she realizes that Lucille says her name in an introduction, startling her for a moment. Looking from Lucille to the mysterious stranger, Megan says "Yeah, I'm Megan. Nice to meet you, I'm sure. I'm sorry, but I didn't catch your name. What was it? And what are you trying to hide? You trying to cheat at cards?" Megan says the last part loud enough to ensure that the dealer hears them, resulting in calling for security to deal with him if he were trying to cheat.
Megan Price
HP: 20/20
SDC: 45/45
ATEA-50 Supai Stealth Armor: 100/100
User avatar
Megan Price
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Underguard » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:40 am

[At the bar]
Jez, Valrun, Susan

The man between both Jez and Valrun is obviously officially overwhelmed by the two beauties and Jez's keen eye picks up on a couple things regarding his body language. First, and possibly the most important is that he is not hostile, and doesn't appear to be harboring any ill intent though he could also just be temporarily overcome with her charming nature. Second, he isn't shying away from them despite his discomfort and the fact that he was quite obviously made. Coughing, he takes a drink and nods. "Ya-yeah, let's continue this in a booth." He responds and will drop a credit on the counter and then follow (or lead) the Girls to a booth and take a seat. Valrun does notice that he seems to click his right index and middle fingers with his right thumb as he gets up. When he sits down, he places both arms on the table, clasping his hands together; Valrun notices what looks like a wire or cord running on his right index finger. Susan and Jez sit across from him, with Valrun sitting besides him, keeping him surrounded it is obvious from his body language he knows he's at a disadvantage.

After clearing his through, continue. "My name is Alexander Brooks. I've got a job offer for you." He says, slightly more confidently.

[The Holdem Table]
Lucille and Megan

The man shifts uncomfortably at Lucille's mention of the thing in his coat and nods. "Name's Harkin, Jonathan Harkin." He says lowly and nods when she mentions both Megan and her friends at the bar. "Truth be told, my goal was to observe for a bit longer but seeing as how we're talking, I've been waiting for the chance to talk to you and your friends." He responds.

When Megan drops the mention of cheating at cards, the entire table which, for the past moments, had just continued the next round without them stops and looks directly at the trio. The dealer stands, and though he looked human, he stands taller than most and looks down on Harkin. "What's this about cheating?" He says rather coldly and even Lucille and Megan feel the ire leaking out with his tone. Harkin quickly raises his hands in parlay and responds. "Just a misunderstanding from my new associates. We'll, uh, we'll get up." He responds and slowly stands. Megan notices that when he stands, he does seem to click his right index and middle finger with his thumb and move to face her and Lucille.

"It seems your friends at the bar met my associate. Let's join them at the booth they're at." Harkin says and when Megan and Lucille look, they'll notice that their friends left the bar. Megan does spot Jez's rather obvious purple hair at a booth and the trio walks towards it.

[The job]
Everyone

Harkin, Megan and Lucille arrive at the table shortly after Brooks mentions a job, with Harkin pulling up a chair to sit on the outside of the booth and taking the silver canister looking thing out of his jacket. "Brooks." Harkin says in greeting, passing the canister to Brooks (assuming none of the GIRLS try to stop him).

Brooks takes it and taps a couple keys on the outside of it. Everyone can tell it's alien tech but it doesn't resemble anything they've seen. Brooks then looks to Jez and nods. "You're right, tailing people was never a part of my skill set; sorry we couldn't be more upfront. We were hired to complete a job that we can't do alone and were given autonomy to seek additional help. After what happened at the last joint, you fit the bill, plus we think what happened there is connected."

He pauses and glances to Harkin who continues, placing a small computer on the table. "There is a killer operating autonomously in Merctown and the Defenders can't pin them down. Our benefactor is concerned for his assets here and wants the assassin brought down, publicly." He taps a few things on the computer and a holographic display appears with several red markers, one of which being the area Girls just left. "These markers point out where we know the killer has been; each one left a body behind." Harkin leaves the holographic display up as Brooks spins the canister round.

Everyone at the table sees a piece of alien tech they can't recognize, but it looks an awful lot a specialized bullet. "We're not sure where this comes from, but this is just one of the things the killer has at his disposal. It's a type of round that seems to be able to affect each target differently; we're still working on what it does." Brooks says and seals the canister back up as Harkin taps another button on the display. A number now appears over the display; 5,000,000. "We were offered several million credits to bring killer down. Half of that is yours is you help us. Our benefactor is more concerned about his assets; and offered this with little to no negotiation." Harkin states and looks to Brooks.

"So, interested?" Brooks finishes, his eyes leveling squarely on Jez.
Image
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
AA Professional Services GM || GIRLS GM|| Theme Song
PCs: Ronan (Spook Squad) | Culter (CS 40-4th) | Scythe (PW GR) | Venenifer (Atlantis)|| EP Ledger
User avatar
Underguard
Game Master
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Location: AA Professional Services and GIRLS GM - nphilip90s

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Jezebel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:37 am

Perception: 74% / 1d100 = 65
JIC: 1d20 = 14 / 1d100 = 69
Conditions: Critical strike on 18-20, K.O. on N20, Energy Resistance
Interrogation 95% / 1d100 = 55 (to pry more information out of these nuggets)
Intelligence 78% / 1d100 = 89 (to analyze this source of information about the assassin [the dudes], and try and discern who they are/who they work for based on apparent characteristics)
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88% / 1d100 = 85 (Jez is trying to appear confident in her team's ability to handle this task)
Tracking: People 70% / 1d100 = 26 (in conjunction w/Intelligence to discern any pattern or focus of activity based on the locations indicated)
Barter 66% / 1d100 = 73 (trying to negotiate a better deal for the job)

GM wrote:"You're right, tailing people was never a part of my skill set; sorry we couldn't be more upfront. We were hired to complete a job that we can't do alone and were given autonomy to seek additional help. After what happened at the last joint, you fit the bill, plus we think what happened there is connected. There is a killer operating autonomously in Merctown and the Defenders can't pin them down. Our benefactor is concerned for his assets here and wants the assassin brought down, publicly These markers point out where we know the killer has been; each one left a body behind. We're not sure where this comes from, but this is just one of the things the killer has at his disposal. It's a type of round that seems to be able to affect each target differently; we're still working on what it does. We were offered several million credits to bring killer down. Half of that is yours is you help us. Our benefactor is more concerned about his assets; and offered this with little to no negotiation. So, interested?"


Jez nods along as the men speak, paying close attention to what they say, and to their body language as they speak. When they're done, she says, "Let me clarify what I've heard to make sure we've got this right:
  • You want an assassin stopped.
  • The identity of the assassin is unknown.
  • The assassin is operating in Merctown.
  • The assassin has struck in multiple different locations in Merctown.
  • The Defenders have been unable to identify or locate the assassin.
  • The assassin is using a weapon, or at least a munition, which is unknown and of a variable nature.
Do I have that all correct?"


Okay, what are these rookies trying to hide? Why all the cloak and dagger bullshit over a simple and direct bounty like this? If these frakfaces are trying to trick us into a counterintelligence op, they'll rue the day they laid eyes on me. After receiving answers, Jez plows forward. "Okay. Time for some questions of my own. You want the assassin killed or taken alive? Why not register this bounty with MercOps? Who's your benefactor? In other words, who's really paying for our services? What are his assets, and why does he think they're in jeopardy? Why is he so hard up to get this assassin? Has your benefactor already lost assets to this assassin? If so, what are those assets? Lastly, if your benefactor has such a hard-on for this guy that he doesn't even flinch at five million credits, please explain why we shouldn't go right over your heads, contact your benefactor directly, and take the full bounty ourselves? After all, you're apparently unable to do the job, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for our help."

OOC: A list of the "hit" locations, or a map showing such, would be helpful.
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Conditions
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/1550
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)

Image
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Underguard » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:15 am

Harkin and Brooks look at each other as Jezebel nearly attacks them with questions, Brooks visibly has a smirk on his face as he listens and, when Jez is done, nods his head. "Got it all right so far, and all viable and valid questions." He states.

"Dead or Alive; double for alive. Our Benefactor wants to make an example of him. This bounty is on the bounty boards, but there isn't much intel." Brooks continues and Harkins taps his computer, pulling up the bounty.

Contract wrote:Target Location: Merctown
Target M.O.: Targeting third and second tier level executives, operators and contacts. No known association between victims. Primarily employs an untraceable long-arm rifle of alien design, ammunition kills and then breaks down inside of the victim. Secondary methods include lethal poison and close quarters; subterfuge and subversion. Target has successfully evaded the Defenders at every turn.
Reward: 2,500,000
Contact: Alexander Brooks
Duration of Contract: Contract open for 13 days; Contract active until assailant caught.
Miscellaneous: More information provided to interested parties upon request.


Brooks then continues. "Our benefactor is a relatively wealthy and connected individual who prefers a degree of anonymity; I was hired specifically to work as his intermediary with the condition I could seek out more help if required. Well, it's required; and should you accept and actually complete the contract with us, you'll meet him. Several of the targets have been associates of his, either directly or indirectly, though not all so we're not sure if he is being targeted specifically. Right now, we just know the hitman is targeting second and third tier persons of interest, business people, contractors and the like. Most deaths have taken place in public venues where no one saw anything except for the body dropping. Defenders have been on the spot but they never seem to catch any suitable suspects." Brooks finishes and then looks to Harkin who taps his computer again.

"We appreciate your vigor, but we are not amateurs. Brooks here is a graduate and respected member of the Headhunters Academy here in Merctown, and I am an intelligence specialist who spent some years with Northern Gun. We're seeking help now because we've been given the slip twice now since being hired. Each time we get close but somehow, this bastard escapes my net. I've hacked video surveillance at all locations with cameras and I never see anyone acting out of the ordinary, I don't see aggression, but I see the body drop. I'm fairly positive he has some manner of tech that allows him to remove himself from surveillance, which means we need more eyes on the ground." Harkin states, tapping his computer and returning to the map of Merctown.

Map
Hit Map.png


"Defenders are trying to keep it quiet, the use of a long-arm in the city is bad enough." Brooks adds.
Image
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
AA Professional Services GM || GIRLS GM|| Theme Song
PCs: Ronan (Spook Squad) | Culter (CS 40-4th) | Scythe (PW GR) | Venenifer (Atlantis)|| EP Ledger
User avatar
Underguard
Game Master
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Location: AA Professional Services and GIRLS GM - nphilip90s

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Jezebel » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:10 am

(rolls carried forward)
Jez immediately pulls out her tablet computer and records the information. "I'll need a list of names of those assassinated so far and as much information as to their identities and connections to our employer as is available." Those hits are all over the place. There's no apparent connection.

Jezebel leans back and whips out her MTE cellphone. She calls Cordelia at their hangar. "Cordelia, clean yourself up and get some sleep A.S.A.P. Tell anyone else at the hangar to do the same. We've got a contract that's going to require your skills. Jez out." It's about time that broad pull her own weight, and I think we just found the job to put her background and those skills of hers to the test.

Jez stows her phone and looks to Susan with a smile. "You might need to do an autopsy or eleven. You prepared for that?"

Jez looks back to the guys. "She's going to need access to the victims' bodies, the autopsy reports, and maybe even to the coroner himself, assuming autopsies have been conducted. As the Defenders are aware of this situation, I assume you've been in contact with them already about these assassinations given your role. Can you make arrangements for such access, or do we need to grease some palms and crank some arms to get access ourselves?"

Jez looks to Valrún and Lucille. While her words are directed at Valrún, it's clear from her expressions that she includes Lucille in this as well. "Want a job that pays well? You're a magic specialist. We have need of your knowledge. I wouldn't mind picking your brain during the course of this investigation as well. You know, to learn more about this 'magic' of which I've heard people talk incessantly since coming to this world. We can't rule out the involvement of magic in these assassinations, after all."

Jez glances over to Megan. "You and I are gonna need to scout out these locations, pore over the crime scene reports, assuming the Defenders have such and are willing to give us access. We're soldiers. Our business is killing. We can put those skills to use analyzing the scenes and reports."

Jez pans the faces of all at hand. "We're all need to have our comms on at all times and be on hot standby should another assassination occur."

Map Indicated Locations wrote:20- The Palace Hotel & Casino
33- Ambassador Suites
50- Celestial Dragon
65- Spokes Hotel
105- Flirts
145- Mystic Medicine Clinic
140- The Crimson Dragon
137- The Sphinx & unicorn Tavern
158- Cyber Street Tenement
184- Nightcrawlers
197- Hangman's Hotel & Tavern
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Conditions
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/1550
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)

Image
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Megan Price » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:13 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 60/63% (+15% when either Multi-Optic Eyes or Amplified Hearing are active, +30% when both are active)
Just In Case: 1d100 = 18/1d20 = 8
Constant Effects: Sound Filtration System, Universal Head-Jack
Current Effects, Other: Cybernetic eyes zooming in on what was in his hand before it's out of view.

"You wanted to talk? Well why didn't you just say so instead of following us like a pair of common thugs? You know us womenfolk appreciate a man who has the balls to talk to them! I get a little bitchy when I'm paranoid that someone might be trying to kill me. Sorry, not sorry." Megan says sweetly with a sarcastic undertone. When the dealer stands and glares at the stranger named Harkin, Megan smugly thinks to herself Check. Mate. Motherfucker!

Megan lets Harkin take the lead to the booth the others are sitting at before sitting down. When the two men start talking about the job offer, Megan temporarily shuts down her mind as she takes a moment to mentally relax after having been wound up and tense in order to be ready for a fight at a moments notice for the past half hour or so. It's when Jez starts talking that she starts paying attention again. After Jez is finished with her line of questioning, Megan speaks up to ask some of her own. "You guys didn't just happen to have been at the Unicorn when the victim was murdered. You had enough information to know where to be, even though the victim came to see someone in our group, whom had chosen that location more or less at random. How? How did you know where the victim was going to be going? How did you know that victim was next to die? When he was concerned that his life was in danger, and rightfully so, and he spoke the name Patricia Lyboc. Does that name mean anything to you two?"
Megan Price
HP: 20/20
SDC: 45/45
ATEA-50 Supai Stealth Armor: 100/100
User avatar
Megan Price
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Valrún » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:51 am

Perception 1d100 = 69 /37% (+5% on ley line)
JIC d20 1d20 = 9 / d100 1d100 = 59
Charm/Impress 1d100 = 66/55% (for Brooks and Harkin)
Invoke Trust/Intimidate 1d100 = 48/94% (for Brooks and Harkin)

Well okay then. I guess that is one way to offer a job. Not that I think I would fully trust these guys. Val eyes the two men, although she maintains a pleasant demeanor. Oh well, I'm not the one being hired here, I suppose how much I trust them isn't an issue. Val looks at Brooks with a charming smile on her face, "Have you considered the use of magic in these assassinations? Or is that outside of the realm of your experience? Technology is not always the answer."

Jezebel wrote:Jez looks to Valrún and Lucille. While her words are directed at Valrún, it's clear from her expressions that she includes Lucille in this as well. "Want a job that pays well? You're a magic specialist. We have need of your knowledge. I wouldn't mind picking your brain during the course of this investigation as well. You know, to learn more about this 'magic' of which I've heard people talk incessantly since coming to this world. We can't rule out the involvement of magic in these assassinations, after all."


Okay, I guess maybe I should care about how much I trust them. Val pauses for a moment, then looks at Jez. "It's been a few decades since I've been a mercenary. I suppose it won't hurt for me to go back to that line of work. I'll tentatively agree to work with you, we can discuss terms without the bystanders at some point I'm sure. She flashes Jez a bright smile, "I'm sure coming to some agreeable terms won't be difficult. And no, I would not rule out magic at all. It can be rather potent in its own right, and even nastier when intelligently combined with technology."
Do not PM this account. PM Dodsrike instead.

OOC Comments
Goddess in the Making
M.D.C.: 158/158
P.P.E.: 233/233

Constant Effects
Fire and Cold Resistant 1/2 damage
Bio-regenerates 1d6x5 M.D.C. per minutes (4 melees)
Sense Rifts 90 mile radius
Sense Ley Line 30 mile radius
Sense Magic in Use 300' radius
User avatar
Valrún
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Susan Lee » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:05 am

Perception: 1d100 = 68
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 7 / 1d100 = 94

Susan looks at the two men quizzically. "There are many simpler explanations for why someone would not show up on electronic media beyond 'hacking to remove themselves.'"

She holds out a hand and begins to tick off points on her fingers. "Invisibility. An illusion. Psychic invisibility to only machines. Psychic or magical control of machines. Being out of phase with reality and having the bullet transfer into our reality." Susan pauses. "I admit the last one is unlikely."

We're going to use Cordelia as bait! This almost makes up for not tracking down that exceptional spe... rescuing that poor girl.

"I do appreciate that the killer is using the classic 'shoot someone with an ice bullet' mini-mystery gag."

To Captain Jezebel, she says, "I am fully prepared to perform forensic examinations of however-many corpses you wish. We may, however, want to have a back-up necromancer to see if we can't get further information."
Last edited by Susan Lee on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's DNA, all the way down./Ledger
Conditions
H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90

Image
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Lucille Davis » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:43 am

Perception: 1d100 = 85 / 28% (+15% for magic or machines)
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 18 / 1d100 = 77

To do a gut check on Lucy's knowledge concerning the alien tech:
TW Construction 90% / 1d100 = 47
Weapons Engineer 54% / 1d100 = 34
Mechanical Engineer 64% / 1d100 = 36
Electrical Engineering 64% / 1d100 = 9
Basic Mechanics 69% / 1d100 = 4
Basic Electronics 64% / 1d100 = 32

Now what do we have here? Lucy thinks as her eye is drawn to the silvery alien tech tube. She gives it some thought as to whether she's seen anything of its sort before. Could be useful to have some sense of the range this potential employer has if alien tech is their game.

Underguard wrote:Everyone at the table sees a piece of alien tech they can't recognize, but it looks an awful lot a specialized bullet. "We're not sure where this comes from, but this is just one of the things the killer has at his disposal. It's a type of round that seems to be able to affect each target differently; we're still working on what it does." Brooks says and seals the canister back up as Harkin taps another button on the display.


Lucy squints at the alien munition closely and taps in to her engineering and magitech intuitions as Harkin takes the group through what little he knows. Mummu how cool! She turns to Harkin, potentially interrupting him. "Have you checked to see if it's magic yet?" If Harkin says no, she over-enthusiastically asks if she can check right here and now, and if yes, and casts Sense Magic (4 PPE) through her goggles, giddy with excitement!

Jezebel wrote:Jez looks to Valrún and Lucille. While her words are directed at Valrún, it's clear from her expressions that she includes Lucille in this as well. "Want a job that pays well? You're a magic specialist. We have need of your knowledge. I wouldn't mind picking your brain during the course of this investigation as well. You know, to learn more about this 'magic' of which I've heard people talk incessantly since coming to this world. We can't rule out the involvement of magic in these assassinations, after all."


"Of course boss, happy to help. And if we're taking this job, I'd like to get this specialized munition back to the Hangar to do a thorough analysis of my own."
Lucille Davis / Ledger
Current Status
S.D.C.: 29/29
H.P.: 25/25
P.P.E.: 127/131
I.S.P.: 22/22
Armor M.D.C.: 42/32 (+10 to the chest and neck area)

Image
User avatar
Lucille Davis
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 11:53 am
Location: emhusband@gmail.com

Re: One-Eyed Jacks (178)

Postby Underguard » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:01 pm

Brooks waves over a series of drinks for the GIRLS and takes a swig of his drink as he nods in acknowledgement towards Jez. "I'm going to assume this means you are accepting the contract. I'll get a full list of the names and the initial reports on autopsies to your crew, it's not information I have on hand unfortunately." He states and glances over at Susan before shrugging. "That'll need to be arranged, but I don't see it being an issue. The autopsies were conducted by several different people, and what I do know is that one of the ones who conducted the initial three autopsies was also killed later. It's unknown why, as none of the other two coroner's are still with us. One is a Defender and the other is from the Merctown Hospital. Our deceased Coroner was number 6 to be killed. Our initial thinking is that either they found something that made them a target that the other coroners did not find. Right now, all eleven bodies are located at the hospital and I am sure we can get your doctor in to review the bodies and the reports." Brooks says, turning to Harkin who sighs.

"Oh, right, that's me. I'll get in touch with the Benefactor and see what they can do on their end. They are swift in response, so we should hear back soon regarding that but I wouldn't expect any access until tomorrow morning. Also, we have a contact in the Defenders who can work with you, a Sergeant Harrison has been most cooperative with us, she was at the Sphinx and Unicorn Tavern." Harkin says then turns back to his personal computer.

Brooks looks over to Megan at her brash comment and shrugs nonchalantly. "You lot just witnessed an assassination, we weren't sure you'd be willing to talk to us off the streets. We weren't actually going to seek you out until we watched how you reacted to the Defenders presence and the assassination. I liked the idea you had about going to a necromancer, to be honest. We haven't pursued that specific route yet." Brooks remarks before adding, "Regarding Mr Decosca, we were following him. He has direct ties with our benefactor and was an employee at Naruni Enterprises; he failed to report in and we tracked him down; we were going to take him back to the Benefactor after he left the Unicorn Tavern but that ship sailed. It's likely this Patricia Lyboc is the next target, if I had to guess, but I am unfamiliar with the name. Harkin will see if he can dig anything up on her. We don't know why he approached you, possibly for protection, but whatever the reason, that's the first time the killer actually was sloppy enough to kill his target so publically. I mean, the whole damn tavern saw him go down and, granted there was no sound of a bullet, the effects were apparent. He usually isn't that sloppy, I'm thinking DeCosca was about to tell you lot something. If we can get your doctor into the coroner's team we might learn something more. His autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow."

Harkin glances up at Valrun when she mentions magic and shakes his head. "We're pretty positive it's a form of technology not magic but I ain't ruling anything out. Take the bullet here to your place and run whatever investigation on it you want, it seems like a solid silver bullet for all intents and purposes." He states towards both Valrun and Lucille, then turns to Susan and sighs. "You ain't wrong, but the thing is, that sort of thing leaves ripples. Someone using invisibility, like the spell mages use, would still be visible to certain sensors unless it was the super advanced one which, even then, they'd pop out after taking the shot or making a fatal blow, wouldn't they? The out of phase one, well, that's a whole nother ball field I haven't explored yet."

Susan takes a brief look at the bullet and carefully examines it. It does, by a cursory examination, seem like nothing more than a silver bullet about the size of a .50 caliber. That alone, raises some initial questions as the bullet has no apparent means of combustion to fire out of a weapon and gain velocity, gunpowder or otherwise. So either the bullet is powered by magic upon firing, or the weapon used to fire it houses the firing mechanism to include its velocity.

Brooks finishes his drink and stands. "We'll make the arrangements and ping you in the morning. Our work is cut out for us, and we appreciate you readily taking this contract." Harkins finishes tapping a few things on his computer before standing as well. He scribbles a number on a napkin and slides it to Jez, showing a secured radio frequency. "Our secured freq. Hit us up, and ping me the address to your crew's hang out so we can meet you there in the morning." Harkin states and will get up with Brooks and close up his equipment. Brooks adds, "I look forward to working with you, get some rest."

With that, the two leave; the silver canister remaining on the table. The night out of fun royally soured, there is little left to do beyond returning to the Hanger (Post Here.).
Image
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
AA Professional Services GM || GIRLS GM|| Theme Song
PCs: Ronan (Spook Squad) | Culter (CS 40-4th) | Scythe (PW GR) | Venenifer (Atlantis)|| EP Ledger
User avatar
Underguard
Game Master
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Location: AA Professional Services and GIRLS GM - nphilip90s

Previous

Return to The Warrens

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron