Karl 'Dodger' McCrae (Human Vagabond)

All new character submissions are to be posted here.
Recruitment threads for the various groups and extra-dimensional games are also located here.

Moderators: Game Masters, Group Leaders

Karl 'Dodger' McCrae (Human Vagabond)

Postby Karl 'Dodger' McCrae » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Player Name: Rene
G-Mail: RF2678

Character Name: Karl McCrae
Alias: 'Dodger'
Race: Human
O.C.C.: Vagabond
Alignment: Unprincipled
XP Level: 1
XP Points: 0
Next Level @ XP: 1,876
Sentiments/Non-Humans: Dodger doesn't much care for D-Bee's, but he has a "go with the flow" attitude, and doesn't start trouble unnecessarily. His philosophy is that he's been lucky enough to go through life with most of his teeth, and he'd like to keep it that way.
Sentiments/Coalition: Dodger generally likes the Coalition and what they do, although he's admittedly poorly informed and totally uneducated. His dream is to live inside the city walls of Chi-Town, which he imagines to be filled with streets paved with gold, but he knows he'll never be let in, so he's decided to strike out on his own and take up an adventurer's life.
Disposition: Dodger's fairly dim, but it also generally makes him a pretty straightforward person. When it comes to Dodger, what you see is exactly what you get... unless he's trying to steal your wallet or cheat you at cards. Then he becomes a pathological liar (and not a very good one, either).
Insanity: TO BE DETERMINED VIA YIM CHAT WITH THE GAME MASTER ONCE PC SHEET IS COMPLETED

ATTRIBUTES
I.Q.:
M.E.: 11
M.A.: 12
P.S.: 15
P.P.: 18
P.E.: 17
P.B.: 6
Speed: 17

PHYSICAL DATA
H.P.:
S.D.C.: 37
Sex: Male
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 175 lbs.
Description: Dodger's a short, lanky fellow with a thick head of brown hair and a poorly kept beard. He looks like a man who's never owned a set of clean clothes in his entire life, not out of abject poverty (although he is extremely poor), but because of a personal life decision to avoid contact with soap and water whenever possible.

Natural Abilities
Perception Bonus: 35%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 20%
Max. Encumbrance: 52 lbs.
Max. Carrying Weight: 150 lbs.
Max. Lifting Weight: 300 lbs.
Max. Jumping Ability: 7 ft. Length, 3 ft. Height

Special Abilities
Eyeball a Fella 56%

O.C.C. Skills
Language: American 88%
Language: Spanish 65%
Language: Dragonese/Elven 65%
Barter 56%
Begging 40%
Cook 50%
Domestic: Brewing - Basic 40%/45%
Domestic: Fishing 55%
ID Undercover Agent 60%
Pilot: Motorcycle 72%
General Repair 45%
Radio: Basic 50%
Streetwise +30%
W.P. Ancient: Knife
W.P. Energy Pistol (+1 to Strike)
Hand to Hand: Basic

O.C.C. Related Skills
Cardsharp 49%
Gambling (Dirty Tricks) 30%
Palming 25%
Pick Pockets 35%
Prowl 30%

Secondary Skills
First Aid 45%
Gambling (Standard) 35%
W.P. Energy Rifle
Ventriloquism 16%
Running
Sewing 40%
W.P. Chain (+1 to Strike)
Climbing 40%

Combat Data
HTH Type:
Basic
Number of Attacks: 4
Initiative Bonus: +0
Strike Bonus: +2
Parry Bonus: +2
Dodge Bonus: +2
HTH Damage Bonus: +0
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +2
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm: +0

Weapon Proficiencies
Aimed Shots: +3 to Strike Bonus (costs 2 actions)
W.P. Energy Pistol: +1 Strike
W.P. Knife: +3 Strike
W.P. Chain: +3 Strike

Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: +5%
Magic: +1
Poison: +1
Possession: +1
Psionics: +1
Horror Factor: +2
Last edited by Karl 'Dodger' McCrae on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Karl 'Dodger' McCrae

EQUIPMENT (WIP)

Postby Karl 'Dodger' McCrae » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:33 pm

EQUIPMENT
The clothes on his back, an extra set of clothes, baseball cap, jacket, knife, spare magazine for his pistol, flashlight, backpack, sleeping bag, duffle bag, wallet with ID, a couple bandages, pack of aspirin, comb, toothbrush (unused), paste (unused), bar of soap (unused), several pieces of candy, sturdy plastic bag, canteen, sunglasses

Credits**: 2d6 = 8 x 100
Black Market Saleable Goods**: 2d6 = 3 x 100

WISH LIST
Plastic-Man - Full Environmental Body Armor*: This is the worst body armor in the game that I know of, and I would like it.

Ng-33 Northern Gun Laser Pistol*: This is the worst pistol in the game, as far as I know, so it makes sense for a Vagabond to have it.

Wastelander Motorcycle: This looks like a great motorcycle for travel. It looks like something you'd find in a trailer park.

*Dodger procured these items, as well as some other articles of clothing, from a dead adventurer who was caught cheating at cards and shot in the face while his helmet was off. Dodger still wears the dead man's underwear to this day.
** These are mostly stolen from his wife.
2d6 = 5
2d6 = 6
2d6 = 7
2d6 = 6
2d6 = 8
2d6 = 5
Last edited by Karl 'Dodger' McCrae on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Karl 'Dodger' McCrae

BACKGROUND STORY (WIP)

Postby Karl 'Dodger' McCrae » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Useless drunk. Cheats at cards. Unrelentingly lazy. All these and more are how Dodger's friends would describe him, if Dodger had any friends.

Karl 'Dodger' McCrae lived an uneventful existence out in the Chi'Town 'Burbs, going through life avoiding paying his gambling debts (which is one of the reasons people call him 'Dodger', because of his remarkable ability to disappear when a creditor turned up), operating his own moonshine distillery in his bath tub (he wasn't using it for anything else as he's never had running water), and spending his evenings drinking himself into oblivion to forget the fact that he was married with five kids. For the most part, this life worked for him, and Dodger was content. He would sometimes idle away the time by dreaming about what life would be like inside the walls of Chi-Town, being rich and fat and eating meat other than smoked rat kabobs or the "mystery meats" packaged by the local butcher, but Dodger knew that these were idle dreams and that he'd never be allowed into Chi-Town.

Dodger's hard living eventually started catching up to him, though. Whether it was his growing list of creditors who weren't getting themselves killed in the violent 'Burbs quickly enough for Dodger's tastes, to the sneaking suspicion that one or two of his children might not actually be his, things were starting to come to a head for Dodger. Deciding that he needed a major change in his life, Dodger packed his meager belongings (Including the nest egg credits his wife had secretly been squirreling away under the floorboards), got on his motorcycle, and rode out of the Chi-Town 'Burbs one night, never to return.
Last edited by Karl 'Dodger' McCrae on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl 'Dodger' McCrae

DICE ROLLS

Postby Karl 'Dodger' McCrae » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Base Stats (Dropping lowest die. Final stats allocated afterwards)
4d6 = 15
4d6 = 12
4d6 = 16
4d6 = 12
4d6 = 12
4d6 = 6
4d6 = 17
4d6 = 7

Vagabond Bonuses
+1d4 = 1 MA

Running Skill
+4d4 = 12 Speed
+1d6 = 2 SDC

SDC: 4d6+22 = 35
Hit Points: PE + 1d6 = 4
Karl 'Dodger' McCrae

Re: Karl 'Dodger' McCrae (Human Vagabond)

Postby Karl 'Dodger' McCrae » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:38 pm

One of the rolls above came up a 16, so here's the additional d6.

16 + 1d6 = 2
Karl 'Dodger' McCrae

Postby Zilant » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Looks to me like you had a 17 also...but those rolls are listed as 4d6 not 4d6 drop lowest...
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby Karl 'Dodger' McCrae » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Zilant wrote:Looks to me like you had a 17 also...but those rolls are listed as 4d6 not 4d6 drop lowest...

I didn't know there was a way of dropping the lowest using the UBB code, and figured you had to look at the individual rolls. The one that's 16 is actually 14 when you drop the lowest, and the one that's 17 is 16 when you drop the lowest. So these results...

4d6 = 15
4d6 = 12
4d6 = 16
4d6 = 12
4d6 = 12
4d6 = 6
4d6 = 17
4d6 = 7

...are actually this.

Although I just noticed I screwed up and put down one wrong stat. Let me fix that.
Karl 'Dodger' McCrae

Postby Selenidaria » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:13 pm

Also, as far as gear goes, you have to make a request for the armor and weapons.
Selenidaria

OOC Comments
Selenidaria
HP: 19/19
SDC: 30/30
PPE: 90/90
ISP: 27/27

Constant Effects: Mind Block Auto-Defense

Millenium Tree Leaf Armor MDC: 60/60

MP-10 MageFire Bolt Rifle 5d6+3 MD/1d6x10+ 6 Ammo: 17/18
Recharge: 40 PPE/80 ISP

Crawler Half-Track - Selenidaria's Techno-wizardry Crawler Initiative - STCI (a.k.a. Staci)
M.D.C. by Location
*Front Tires (2) - 50 each
*Side Tracks (2) - 110 each
Windshield (front) - 25
Side Windows (4) - 15 each
Cargo Bay Portals (8, Sides) - 10 each
*Main Gun - (1: Cab) - 50
*Mini-Missile Launcher (1: Cab) - 75
Sensor Cluster/Communications Array - 60
Bay Door/Ramp (Rear; Large) - 130
Headlights (4) - 8 each
Main Body - 355/440
* A single asterisk means the location is a small and difficult target to hit. Thus, it can only be hit when a character makes a called shot and even then the attacker is - 4 to strike.
** Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will destroy the vehicle entirely.

Chipwell CAI-50 Challenger Light Combat Armor - Chippy
Model Type: CAI-50
Class: Light Infantry Armor Military Exo-Skeleton
Crew: One
M.D.C. by Location:
Arms (2): 20 each
Legs (2): 50 each.
*Head: 50
**Main Body: 120
Selenidaria

Postby Karl 'Dodger' McCrae » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Selenidaria wrote:Also, as far as gear goes, you have to make a request for the armor and weapons.

Ok. I thought I was good in that regard, given that I picked the absolute worst items available. I even went with the NG-33 Northern Gun Laser Pistol over the Wilk's 320 Laser Pistol because they're the only 1d6 damage guns in the main book, but the NG pistol has inferior range compared to the Wilk's pistol and doesn't provide an Aimed Shot bonus. :lol: But ok, I'll edit that.
Karl 'Dodger' McCrae

Postby CS High Command » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 am

Yeah, you're not a first level starting out character - you've had a few adventures. Also we tend to reward folks for playing classes like Vagabond and such with slightly better gear, at least as long as they follow the character creation rules to the letter. I can't stress this enough. I went from having a vehicle to having a dying donkey on my first character simply because I failed to follow the character creation rules to the letter. Use the templates provided. That's not a suggestion, it's a lifeline.

Augur has a link in there to his own character. Study it for formating. Seriously. We have a thread linked in the character creation rules for skills - use the preformatted skills and add in your bonuses. Mimic that format for your character sheet. Pay attention to punctuation and grammar (which I hear should not be an issue for you). There is a whole post of advice that actually comes from the community at large, not just Augur. Go through it.

We get so persnickety on formating so we have basically one format of character sheet on the site. It means any GM can look and find your information at a glance. It means they know your gear is going to be formatted for easy use and reference. It speeds up the already onerous task of GMing Palladium's system. It also means your information is easy to find, which might save your character's life.

Put some plot hooks in your background, goals (long and short term) and maybe an interesting NPC you know. Doesn't mean they will come up, but if your GM is looking for inspiration, they'll sometimes dig into your background for it.

As for rolling dice, the newcomer thread has a great post on just that subject:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7407
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)
"Yippee-ki-yay magic lovers." Lt. John Freeman, CS110 at the Sorocco Skirmish of May 110PA

(Many thanks to SNAFU for the basis of my new AVATAR!)
CS High Command
Game Master

Postby Captain Marks » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Rene,

CS High Command said:
"Yeah, you're not a first level starting out character - you've had a few adventures."

CS High Command is correct. Base starting character creation rules is always a 3rd level character. However, we have provisions for people who want to start as a 1st level character, but it has to be done so within the boundaries of the site rules. That is to say, you have to reference the rule you are using to embark upon the desired course of action. Good policy to follow. Cite your source permitting what you want or if you don't know if a rule covers it after spending fair effort looking, ask for help obtaining your goal. (Note: You will swallow some lumps if you ask for a rule clarification but it's right under your nose. ^_^)

Under Newcomers Welcome which provides guidance on character creation, (which you should read thoroughly before starting chargen) the means to start as level 1 can be found there. I could list it, but I think it would be better for your grasp of the site rules you should look here for it: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7640 (Hint: It is "important".)

Find it. Make a post citing it as what you wish to do.

(Ok, that's enough EU for me now. Back to studying for tests...)
Captain Marks
Assistant Game Master

Postby David Henderson » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:42 pm

Agreed with the above; going through the character creation guide and making sure you're using the correct formatting makes things nice and tidy and overall consistent for the various GMs that might end up having to reference your sheet. It's a handy cut-and-paste from the Unified Skills List code section to ensure you've got the skill and the level-up percentage formatting as is required, for example.

The character sheet and gear templates lay everything out as to how they're needed to be filled out; it's just one of the specific requirements here that makes everything run smoothly. Much like everyone posting in present tense, it prevents friction by things not matching up.

As mentioned, if you want to start as a less experienced first level character, not only can you do that but it nets you a couple of Explorer Points that you can use either in character creation or later in game play. You just need to post specifically that you're doing that exchange.

Is there anything special that Dodger is going to bring to a team of Mercs? Professionals are certainly willing to help train up a ready recruit, but it also helps if there's something to catch their eye in the first place, to give him a chance.
David Henderson, Swordbearer
H.P.: 39/39
S.D.C.: 56/22 / Super Endurance (AR 10/SDC 100) / Magic Armour (AR 14/SDC 160)
Spells: 8/2
Super Endurance: 3/1
Super Endurance (12 melees remaining)
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Return to Recruitment Forum