The Long Shadows of Twilight

The continuing adventures of an arrogant elf, and the masochists who join him on his fools errands.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

Postby Ronith » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:56 am

JIC: 1d20 = 15, 1d100 = 7
PER: 1d20+9 = 19

Ronith will observe Elizabeth's interrogation silently. He'll quietly (and privately) debrief with the others afterwards, concluding that she is sincere but likely not sharing all she knows (if nothing else, the identities of Ronith's assailants). Nothing to do now but proceed with the mission. She will share what she knows when she is ready.

Virtus wrote:”These guys sound pretty serious. If there was something to go off of, I could be of help. I can run what images you have by some contacts and see what they know if you like. It’s hard to not feel useful.”
Ronith nods. "If you think they might be helpful, by all means. Just be careful- as I said, you may have been marked simply by association. Not that you can't take care of yourself." He adds with a grin.

Virtus wrote:”You need to put in some vacation time one of these days. You know there are restaurants and shows here right? she says shaking her head in amusement. ”Be careful. Hopefully this all plays out to nothing. But if it doesn’t, it’s not always bad to run. Not saying you should, just that strategic withdrawal is an option.”
Ronith sighs. "I suppose you are right. It is difficult to take time for myself when there is so much darkness to combat. People need Heroes for Hire." To her last sentence, he responds with a wry chuckle. "A lesson I first learned in Tolkeen, and one that I had to employ again all too recently. I appreciate your concern, but remember that I too can take care of myself."

Virtus wrote:”Sir Ronith, I understand that my training is just starting, but I am another sword. I was thinking I could back you up or stay near Ashlynn. You know, just as a safety measure. I mean if these demons get inside I’m going to have to face them anyhow. Even if I were to fall it might give someone else the time to react. Of course whatever you say. I was just saying…”
Ronith inwardly sighs at his apprentice's eagerness, annoyed but just possibly in large part because Rae reminds him of another brash, young elf with newly acquired cyber-knight skills. The thought occurs to him in a flash, prompting Ronith to temper his irritation at having to once again dissuade Rae from the more dangerous course. He paternally lays a hand upon her shoulder and says, "I will have the entire team backing me up. One more sword here will not make as much of a difference as knowing you will be on-hand to help Zoe. It is entirely possible that our opponents will sniff out the trap we have laid, and find a way around us. If that happens, they will make straight for Elizabeth. For you. We need you on hand in case that happens. I shall summon you if we require your aid- promise me you shall do the same. Now go."

As the team in the lobby gets into position, Ronith will take pains to make sure everyone save himself and Ashlynn is as hidden as possible. "Beltin, in addition to our 'bait' you stand the best chance of seeing through any disguise. If either you or Ashlynn sense anything amiss, use telepathy to communicate so that we give nothing away. I shall be off to one side in case they prove hostile."

When the Defenders arrive (and, presumably, Beltin and Ashlynn give the all-clear) Ronith makes an appearance. Escorting them to one of the offices on the ground floor, he will keep a wary eye on the pair but cooperate fully with their questions (and instructing the other members of the team to do so). Concealing his disappointment that the ruse failed, Ronith snaps to attention at the sound of an explosion nearby. Bidding the Defenders farewell, the cyber-knight calls "Let us know if you require assistance!" The game is not over yet.

Once the Defenders have departed, Ronith relaxes fractionally, and tells everyone to stand down- but only for the moment. "Keep your positions for now. This is not over." He will call up to the rooftop team on Heroes for Hire's radio frequency, "Approximately how far away is the fire?"
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Status
Personal MDC: 80/80 MDC left
ISP- 53/61; PPE- 57/57; AoI Talisman- 2/3 charges
+9 to save vs. poison, +8 vs. psionics/mind control and insanity; +10 vs. Magic, +9 vs. HF.
Current Conditions
Sixth Sense Active
Natural Nightvision (300 ft)
Amplified Hearing
See the invisible (via amulet)
Combat Acrobatics- No penalty to strike while moving
User avatar
Ronith
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

Postby Grant Latham » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:39 am

Perception: 1d20 = 19 +4 (+8 on a ley line)
JIC: 1d20 = 11, 1d100 = 100


Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 64%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 74%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 500'
  • Regenerate 2d6 H.P./S.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • H.P.: 56/56
  • S.D.C.: 23/23
  • I.S.P.: 69/69
  • P.P.E.: 267/267
Active Magic and Psionics


    Grant keeps his face smooth as he encounters Elizabeth's psychic barriers preventing him from observing her thoughts and emotions. We will just have to do this old fashion way and judge her motives by her words and actions.

    Amie wrote:Amie speaks up. ”That road can be taken to Dwoemer. I’ve taken it many times... looking for the city. There are other places less pleasant along the way as well.”


    "I can get us to Dwoemer easily enough," Grant says to the group. "We will just need to go the Guild's nexus. It may be easier to back track, based on Amie recognizing the road. Plus there is a Mr. Horne that Mrs. McGrath mentioned earlier who may be able to assist us."

    Elizabeth McGrath wrote:It takes no detective to determine Elizabeth is weighing speech carefully. Amie’s interruption seems to come as a welcome relief. ”If my husband was trying to go to Dwoemer he may have taken that road. But doing so if these demons were after him would be dangerous. If they had information about the truck, the way may have become impassible.” She is obviously not talking about the demons and is rather blatant about it.

    Beltin’s offer to use the thought projector is met with a cold reception. ”It is an amazing device no doubt. As much as I want to hire you for my husband’s sake, I do not have enough trust in you yet to put my memory, my life on that screen for all to see. My intent is sincere, but we are starting on this road and I have yet to see if you can weather the storm. I’ve warned you once already. Believe me when I say the storm may be severe.” Ashlynn knows her words to be an honest warning. Despite Elizabeth's omissions, there is no doubt she does indeed know these demons. Ashlynn also picks up a sorrowful look in her eyes. It's possible that part of Elizabeth's hesitancy is that she likely believes the threat is more than the team can actually handle.


    So she's testing us? Grant wonders. Perhaps it's more of that we can't tell secrets we don't know, and she thinks we are not truly up to the task.

    Ashlynn examines the book and discovers the card. Beltin and Watcher determine that the business card is a tracking and listening device. Elizabeth’s eyes narrow and a slight “I told you so” smirk appears for a moment before being replaced by a more concerned look. He stance becomes even more guarded than before.

    Placing the card carefully in another room away from the conversation, Ronith hatches a plan to ensnare the assassins. Ashlynn is to attend the front door with Ronith and Barracuda in backup, while Zoe, Rae, Zack and Amie move near the vault for safety. The rest of the team moves to the roof to stop would be assassins from escaping.

    I was right to be wary of that card, Grant thinks.

    Amie wrote:Grant has further questions about the card and why now after so long. Amie again speaks up. ”If their goal is to find McGrath, then maybe something you’ve done recently has garnered their attention. Then again, maybe McGrath is a red herring. It’s also possible that there is something Heroes for Hire and McGrath have in common that hasn’t come to light yet.” she says, her curiosity feeding wild ideas.


    Grant says nothing to this, but is glad to hear someone echo his own thoughts about this mystery.

    Once the group commits to the plan, Grant joins Watcher, Barric, and Yanso on the roof. His anticipation quickly becoming bordom as first minutes then hours pass by. Each time someone is seen approaching the building, Grant relies on Barric's ability to sense evil and the supernatural rather than expend any magical energy himself. He does cast Farseeing (-3 P.P.E.) to take a closer look, only quickly conclude that the visitor is at the Haven for legitmate reasons. "We need some donuts. Stakeouts always have donuts, right?" Grant says with of humor in his voice. When the sky begins to dark and the rain begins Grant is glad that he's in his armor, watching the water bounce off the material but keeping his skin relatively dry. Better than the bottom of a river, Grant observes to himself.

      Sustain | 12 P.P.E. | Self or two by touch | 5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.

    As the hours tick by, he begins to get hungry, he casts Sustain to alleviate it, he reaches out to include Barric. Then returns to his meditations, I feel I am close to grasping these spells, the words of power flare and spark in my mind. The inflection and rhythm are still slightly off. His mind wanders for a while thinking about the intrusive thoughts of another mystery that he feels he has been a part of, but somewhere far away. That place, it was like it was the center of everything, no it was/is the Center. I am sure it's a real place. The combination of technology and magic was flawless. Even magic adapted to traveling between the stars! The thought renews his resolve and he goes back to the mental work space.

    Grant is jolted from his reverie when he hears the explosions, he joins his teammates trying to find the origin.

    Ronith wrote:Once the Defenders have departed, Ronith relaxes fractionally, and tells everyone to stand down- but only for the moment. "Keep your positions for now. This is not over." He will call up to the rooftop team on Heroes for Hire's radio frequency, "Approximately how far away is the fire?"


    Grant clicks his radio, "It appears to be near the residential area, but not in our block. The rain is coming down pretty hard, we can barely make out the glow. Do you want to send Watcher to investigate? I could probably get there, but not as quickly."

    He says to Barric and Yanso, "Let's not get caught up in the spectacle. If this is a diversion, they may try and come at us from a different direction." Grant will look over the edge of the roof not facing the front to determine if there is anyone approaching.

    Contingencies
    Because of the length of time, I am going to assume any P.P.E. spent in the previous hours has been recovered. If he does notice anything unusual, he'll cast some magic.

    1. Farseeing | 3 P.P.E. | 5 min | See license plate/fact up to 4 miles away.
    2. Nightvision | 4 P.P.E. | 30 min | 1200' in total non-magical darkness
    3. See the Invisible | 4 P.P.E. | 5 min | 400' | Can see astral beings, entities, elementals, ghosts, objects, forces and creatures that are or can turn invisible even if no form per se.
    Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

    Info
    H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

    Constant Special Abilities
    • Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

    Equipped Gear of Note
    MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
    6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
    User avatar
    Grant Latham
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 221
    Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
    Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

    Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

    Postby Virtus » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:07 am

    Once again rain is pouring outside. Thunder shakes the Haven and lightning illuminates the landscape for a brief moment. Only loud vehicles can be heard driving by. Inside everyone is still sitting tight. Rae paces eagerly by Zoe and those at the vault. Ronith, Weiss, Ashylnn and Beltin are poised in the lobby for potential attack.

    The roof is miserable and potentially treacherous. The lightning gives briefs glimpses into the darkness. Dark vision and similar sensors certainly help a great deal in keeping an eye on the surrounding terrain though the rain still serves as an impediment. Watcher still decrypting transmission comes across an open air transmission as another boom echoes in the distance and in the transmission. Further scrutinizing the transmission it realizes that there must be a recording device near by. Rocketing around the top, the robot finds another business card on the roof, glued down on the roofing . This one has printing to make it look like the roofing. Almost unnoticeable had it not been for the opportune timing of the transmission.

    http://www.firetype.net/images/rifts/eu/H4H/HavenCityMap_rain.jpg

    1: Grant
    2: Yanzo
    3: Watcher (where he has discovered the card)
    4: Barric

    ((What are your intentions?))
    User avatar
    Virtus
    Game Master
     
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

    Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

    Postby Barracuda » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:34 pm

    Perception: 1d20+2 = 3
    JIC: 1d20 = 13/1d100 = 46

    From his position hidden in the office of the Heroes Haven, Barracuda tenses up at the first doorbell tone. They're here. Time to get this thing solved once and for all.

    Ashlynn wrote:"Uhh... Heroes for Hire. How can we help you?"
    Mysterious stranger wrote:”Uh, Ello lass. Es Barracuda ere? I’ve got sumpin fer him.”

    She tilts her head to the side, and smiles. "Uh... sure." She turns to Rae. "Can you call him down? I don't have the team radio frequency."


    Barracuda pops his head out from the office. "I'm right here, Ashlynn. What's up?"
    Virtus wrote:Assuming Ashylnn radios for Barracuda’s presence and he comes, the Dwarf shows himself inside. ”Surprise lad! We got it dun early. Tis called the King Tide. Behold yer weapon.” he says, opening the black box before him, revealing a trident of exquisite craftsmanship.

    Image

    ”I now leave it in yer care. Trea it well and it will trea you well. Now I must be gettin back. Tis an evil nigh, I kin feel it. Best ta stay inside on nighs like tanigh’.”

    Barracuda is awestruck by the craftsmanship of his new weapon. "The King Tide. This is the best thing I have ever paid for. Thank you so much!" He tries not to get teary eyed, but anyone paying attention can see his face contorting the longer he holds the trident. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. At the comments about the night being evil, 'Cuda nods. "You have no idea, bud."

    With his new trident in hand, Barracuda heads back into the office of the Haven and waits for something to happen. When the Defenders come and nothing happens, he's a little disappointed. Wait, they're just the regular defenders? What about the jerks who blew me up? I owe them a fight. When asked for his account of the market happenings, he'll give a complete run-down (truck, shack, fear magic, explosion) and then listen to the rest of the team's accounts. Once the explosion in the distance occurs, he'll walk the Defenders out and then check in with Ronith. "What's the plan now?"
    Ronith wrote:Once the Defenders have departed, Ronith relaxes fractionally, and tells everyone to stand down- but only for the moment. "Keep your positions for now. This is not over." He will call up to the rooftop team on Heroes for Hire's radio frequency, "Approximately how far away is the fire?"

    "Got it. Holding position. With my cool new trident. Crap, I guess it's a pentadent? Quindent? Definitely not a pitchfork." No one better call you a pitchfork, King Tide. I'll stick em! Ugh, I sound like a pirate now.
    Barracuda
    Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
    SDC: 121/121
    HP: 23/23
    Critical Strike: 18-20



    Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
    Image
    User avatar
    Barracuda
     
    Posts: 256
    Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
    Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

    Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

    Postby Grant Latham » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:19 pm

    (rolls carried)

    Okay, why did I agree to go up on the roof? I really need to learn some weather magic. Grant ponders as he stands in the rain. He turns from where he's observing the alley way between buildings as he hears the whoosh of Watcher suddenly move position and pick something off of the roof. He asks, "What did you find?"

    Radio: Basic 79% vs 1d100 = 11 Speak intelligibly about radios
    Read Sensory Equipment 74% vs 1d100 = 17 Speak intelligibly about sensory equipment.

    Seeing him pick up a business card shaped object, he switches over to his radio using it's encrypted frequency, "Watcher, is that another transmitter?" Why would they place one on the roof. Is it a repeater or some sort of range extender?
    Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

    Info
    H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

    Constant Special Abilities
    • Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

    Equipped Gear of Note
    MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
    6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
    User avatar
    Grant Latham
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 221
    Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
    Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

    Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

    Postby Weiss » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:31 am

    Rolls carried

    Virtus wrote:Zac is bothered by the talk of demons. ”They know I’m not a demon right?” he asks of his father. Zac’s appearance has always been a sore subject. Though it’s not so out of place in Merctown, the physical appearance has caused doubt before, particularly in light of the recent events occurring in the world. ”I’m not like them. Like those. Are the D’norr like them?” he says. Naturally his ancestry is obvious. Zac is coming into the time when many peoples have to wrestle with where they came from and where they are headed.


    Weiss hugged his son tightly, comforting him. Being out at the farm, he had not encountered the wide range of peoples that Weiss had by that age and certainly not any other D’Norr Devilmen. It had left him with issues about his heritage. Once this situation was over, he would endeavour to change that and have that sit down with Grant about the apprenticeship idea. He hadn’t even had chance to broach it with Zac yet

    “They know,” he looked his son in his eyes, reassuring him, “You are nothing like these things, whatever they are. You are a good kid and so are D'Norr generally. You head on down, but know this, everyone here will fight to protect you if needed. They wouldn't do that for a demon."
    As Ashlynn also helped to cheer Zac up, he flipped her a thumbs up and a smile to say thank you.


    Weiss was tense and primed for action when there was the knock at the main door, but he was bemused and relaxed slightly as Barracuda’s trident was delivered by the Dwarves. Zac would have been delighted to meet them and Weiss was amused at the interruption.
    “Seriously, a trident dude, you going for a king of the sea look?"


    Weiss provided information to the Defenders, explaining what he knew, until they left to deal with an emergency.

    “What’s going on up there?” Weiss inquired over the radio
    User avatar
    Weiss
     
    Posts: 72
    Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
    Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

    Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

    Postby Yanso » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:21 am

    Perception: 1d20 = 2 (+3 Amplified Hearing if relevant)
    JIC 20/100: 1d20 = 4 / 1d100 = 34

    After the first explosion Yanso moves toward the roof's edge, gazing at the glow off in the distance. He briefly considers asking Ronith if he should assist the Defenders with rescue ops. Don't be a fool. The Defenders are equipped and trained for this sort of thing. I would just be in their way.

    Grant wrote:"Let's not get caught up in the spectacle. If this is a diversion, they may try and come at us from a different direction."


    "Right, of course." But before Yanso moves Watcher finds the other eavesdropping device.

    Grant wrote:"Watcher, is that another transmitter?"


    He switches to his internal transceiver and says over the group band, "Another one? On the roof, of all places?" The appearance of another of the cards on the roof unsettles Yanso.
    Yanso
    a Stranger in a Strange Land
    Horror Factor: 9
    M.D.C. by Location
    Head - 110
    Hands (2) - 30 each
    Arms (2) - 105 each
    Feet (2) - 50 each
    Multi-Weapon Blade & Sheath (1) - 60 each
    Legs (2) - 140 each
    Main Body - 283/305
    Constant Effects
    Amplified Hearing
    Psionic Dampers and Blockers (permanent Mind Block)
    Cyborg Optics (Telescopic: 4-8x30 mag, range 6000', Macro Lens: 2x to 8x mag, range 3 ft; Passive Nightvision: 2000', Thermo-Imaging: 2000', Light Filter: Glare reduction)
    User avatar
    Yanso
    Gold Level Patron
    Gold Level Patron
     
    Posts: 38
    Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 pm

    Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

    Postby Watcher » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:08 pm

    Perception: 1d20+11 = 17 (add an additional +2 in darkness / +1 in wide open spaces / +3 underwater)
    JIC: 1d20 = 13 / 1d100 = 28

    Earlier Downstairs
    'NO,' writes Watcher on the monitor. 'A RECEIVER CAN NOT BE TRIANGULATED. I COULD JAM THE FREQUENCY AND TRACE ANY COMMAND SIGNALS SENT ON THE FREQUENCY BUT THE LISTENING POST COULD BE ENTIRELY PASSIVE AND THE JAMMING WOULD ALERT THEM.'

    On The Roof
    Watcher doesn't touch the newly found card but it does sink down towards the surface, until it's practically touching the card, and begins to drink in all the electronic signals in the area. "Yes, another one, unknown purpose, analyzing." The little robot wishes it knew more about the structure of the Haven. It could be that there was access to some critical bit of infrastructure underneath this point but Watcher had no way of knowing. Not wanting to disturb the device just yet Watcher starts to analyze any signal it emits plus any signals it could be receiving in its current position.

    Radio: Basic 101%, receive signals: 5d100:
    66, 100, 23, 3, 9

    Electronic Countermeasures 100%, analyze signals: 5d100:
    95, 58, 96, 14, 78

    Cryptography 91%, decrypt: 5d100:
    9, 40, 78, 6, 51

    Intelligence 107%, identify signals of interest: 5d100:
    87, 27, 96, 46, 49
    Who watches the Watcher?
    Status
    M.D.C.: 150 Force Field, 190 Main Body, 75 Left Arm, 30 Left Hand, 75 Right Arm, 30 Right Hand, 75 Weapon Arm
    Constant Effects
    360 degree vision, can't be surprised; Every technological sensor; Impervious to poison, gas, and biological agents, as well as psionic and magic mind control, charms, and Bio-Manipulation
    User avatar
    Watcher
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 189
    Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:50 am

    Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

    Postby Beltin Delhomme » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:35 am

    -----------------------------------
    Perception: 1d20+6 = 14
    JIC: 1d20 = 17| 1d100 = 94%
    -----------------------------------
    Current Status
    • N-F20A Medium Force Field [off] (75/75 MDC)
    • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
    ISP: 174/258
    SDC: 69/69
    HP: 36/36
    Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
    Conditions (temporary):


      Virtus wrote:Marit looks to Beltin, calling him over with her eyes. Assuming he heeds his wife’s summons she leads him to a side room. ”Mrs. McGrath’s tale I can feel.” she says, taking his hand and placing it on her heart. ”She says caution. I think she is honest, yes. But for me my desire would call for you over all else. For now, I think we...you are somewhere in the all else. Does that make sense? Be careful.” she says in her broken American. In parting she blesses Beltin with a kiss upon his lips that only the walls witness.

      Beltin happily complies when his wife pulls him aside to have a private conversation. He nods at her words, understanding that she must share this level of protective intuition with Mrs. McGrath.

      "You're right. I approach most situations with a healthy dose of cynicism. In this case, it is not warranted. Mrs. McGrath is simply trying to prevent others from being hurt by whatever malevolent force she believes her husband was victim to. We are trying to help and have volunteered to put ourselves in hazard's way. So I wish she would be more forthcoming. I just worry that whatever information she is withholding will somehow be vital to the mission." The young mind melter is on the brink of delving fully into his frustration when he catches the concerned look on Marit's face.

      Letting the negative emotion wash off, he continues with more compassion, "You're right. Lately, I've also been wondering if I should be continuing in this profession. It is incredibly dangerous. And now, I have much more to lose..." His eyes affix to his wife's, suddenly mirroring the concern written on her face.

      Beltin closes his eyes a moment before returning to a determined state, "But the things we do are not just for us. Unlike some other groups of mercenaries, our goal is not greed or accumulation of wealth. Guided by Sir Ronith's cyberknight code, we serve as guardians of the Light that hold back the Darkness. And if we can do something, I'm afraid we must."

      "If you agree that this danger that looms has the potential to be extremely dangerous, grab whatever hardware you want, stay close to Zoe, and please stay safe." There is a long pause as Beltin's eyes glisten with the threat of tears as he entertains the thought of a world cruel enough to take his wife from his life. The young mind melter drinks in Marit's presence when they embrace and he projects his sadness as he goes to do what he must.

      Taking the threat very seriously, Beltin heads to their room and dons the exotic battle armor in lieu of his traditional light forcefield. He returns to the lobby to take his position with the face-plate up, making sure others recognize him before fully sealing the EBA and standing at attention in the shadows of a corner.

      Ronith wrote:"Beltin, in addition to our 'bait' you stand the best chance of seeing through any disguise. If either you or Ashlynn sense anything amiss, use telepathy to communicate so that we give nothing away. I shall be off to one side in case they prove hostile."

      Beltin nods at Sir Ronith's orders and prepares himself to do just that. When the first visitor is merely a delivery for Barracuda, Beltin remains at attention but does not intercede in any way. His body tenses a bit more when the Defenders arrive, but relaxes again when they seem to be the genuine article.

      Beltin does his part and gives his testimony if they require it. They are spooked. There is something big and bad on the horizon. And they have been witness to enough crimes to either intuit it or feel the inevitability of it. Their advice is sound though. We need to be mindful of whatever collateral damage might happen from any epic battle we might engage in.

      When the Defenders are suddenly called away and the Haven buzzes with activity of the team trying to sort the situation out, Beltin realizes that he too can do his part. "I will project myself astrally and go investigate. Please keep an eye on my body while I am gone." Beltin says to those in the lobby. After (4d4 = 8) minutes of meditation, Beltin manages to shed his astral form from his physical body. Moving at Mach 1, he quickly flies toward the fire to examine the emergency personnel's progress in containing and/or putting it out. And psychically granting himself nightvision as the sky suddenly darkens unnaturally.

      Beltin will fly back to the Haven and report back anything of note he sees/witnesses. If there is a significant lull (an hour or more passes uneventfully), where not much is happening, Beltin will try to meditate to recover some of his spent ISP.

      Code for spells or psionics used
      Code: Select all
      [*]Astral Projection. 45.00 min.

      Code: Select all
      [*]Nightvision. 90.00 min.

      Expediture tally this round
      • ISP: -8+4 = -12 <== Astral Projection, Nightvision
      Beltin Delhomme - H4H's psychic Swiss-army knife | Explorer Points

      Status
        -N-F20A Medium Force Field [off] (75/75 MDC)
        -NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
        ISP: 258/258
        SDC: 69/69
        HP: 36/36

      Constant effects
      Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)

      Image
      User avatar
      Beltin Delhomme
      Diamond Level Patron
      Diamond Level Patron
       
      Posts: 246
      Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
      Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

      Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

      Postby Weiss » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:02 am

      Perception 1d20+1 = 3
      JIC 1d20 = 7 1d100 = 35

      Beltin Delhomme wrote:When the Defenders are suddenly called away and the Haven buzzes with activity of the team trying to sort the situation out, Beltin realizes that he too can do his part. "I will project myself astrally and go investigate. Please keep an eye on my body while I am gone." Beltin says to those in the lobby. After (Invalid dice code!) minutes of meditation, Beltin manages to shed his astral form from his physical body. Moving at Mach 1, he quickly flies toward the fire to examine the emergency personnel's progress in containing and/or putting it out. And psychically granting himself nightvision as the sky suddenly darkens unnaturally.


      "Understood," Weiss answered Beltin. In these circumstances, there wasn't much he could do, except wait. He shifted some furniture to a more optimal location which included being in front of Beltin. It probably won't provide much protection, but at least it makes it more difficult for anybody attacking to see Beltin he thought, and hopefully he'll be back before any shooting starts. If that fire isn't a diversion, then I'll be a monkey's uncle.

      He looked back at the meditating Beltin and wished that they had a better place for him to be that offered better protection.

      "Sir Ronith, is there any defensive measures here in the HQ that we can activate ready for an assault or a security camera system or anything like that?" Weiss asked their leader, anxious for something to do. He was used to being in the Blue Beauty and having to check over systems. Just being stood around, he felt very open and exposed. "If there is to be an assault, then we should be as prepped as possible. If need be, I could prep that ATV I saw in the garage so it is ready for combat or chase if we need it to be?"

      While he waited, he procured another one of the rifles from the armoury and checked it over to make sure it was fully functional and ready in case he or somebody else needed a backup weapon. Just as well that he did as it was actually leaking in the circuitry and he was unable to fix it at this time. "Dammit," Weiss swore, "I need a crash course on the maintenance of these things."

      OOC Comments
      Field Armorer & Munitions Expert 69% 1d100 = 78 Fail
      User avatar
      Weiss
       
      Posts: 72
      Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
      Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

      Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

      Postby Ashlynn » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:13 pm

      Perception: 1d20+8 = 23

      JIC: 1d20 = 8
      1d100 = 26

      Ronith wrote:"Beltin, in addition to our 'bait' you stand the best chance of seeing through any disguise. If either you or Ashlynn sense anything amiss, use telepathy to communicate so that we give nothing away. I shall be off to one side in case they prove hostile."


      Ashlynn looks to Beltin. "I can'tuse telepathy so I hope he meant you." She smiles. "I mean, in the strictest sense, if I give you a look or say 'Balthazar' or whatever, and YOU use Telepathy, then technically I'm using telepathy by proxy." She giggles. "Ashlynn Ban, Proxy Telepath. I'm putting that on my business card."

      Barracuda wrote:"Got it. Holding position. With my cool new trident. Crap, I guess it's a pentadent? Quindent? Definitely not a pitchfork."


      Ashlynn grins at him. "Bitchin' new polearm,'Cuda. 'King Tide'. Very nice."

      Beltin wrote:"I will project myself astrally and go investigate. Please keep an eye on my body while I am gone."


      Ashlynn nods. T'avi had been able to go astral, and he had schooled her well on the dangers of leaving one's body exposed while doing so. In those days, Hagbard or Ishmael always stood guard over him, while she watched. She strode over to Beltin, and unclipped her sword. "Standing by. Is there a way to draw your attention if we are attacked?" I hope we don't end up just standing guard on high alert all night. That stuff's exhausting.

      Ashlynn adds Beltin's position to her pacing - window, door, Beltin, Window, door, Beltin - as she keeps an eye out of the window for potential attackers, and watches Beltin for signs of distress. She watches out the window, looking for shifty individuals - folks showing signs of casing the Heroes Haven.

      Streetwise 42% 1d100 = 47 (FAIL)
      I.D. Undercover Agent 52% 1d100 = 69 (FAIL)
      Ashlynn
      H.P.: 29/29
      S.D.C.: 68/68


      NG-A8 Scout Armor
      M.D.C. by Location
      • Helmet: 35/35
      • Arms: 25/25 each
      • Legs: 40/40 each
      • Main Body: 30/50
      Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
      User avatar
      Ashlynn
      Gold Level Patron
      Gold Level Patron
       
      Posts: 61
      Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

      Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

      Postby Virtus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:14 am

      Conditions
      Time & Date: Day 2, 7:30pm
      Climate: 50F, heavy rain
      Visibility: 200ft
      Terrain: Urban
      Ley Line within 1 mile
      Heavy radio traffic
      numerous magics in use
      Audible distance 200ft
      100+ vehicles and individuals in move in various places within 500ft


      Beltin's consciousness leaves his body to inspect the fire. Quickly he rushes there to witness several fires. The fires are spread out over many homes in the residential area and seem to be intense. Emergency vehicles and personnel are in the area but they seem to be undermanned for the number of fires.

      Ronith waits in anticipation giving a tentative stand down. Ashlynn, John, Barracuda and the others stand by.

      While Beltin is away, Watcher hovers closer to the card while everyone else on the roof maintains their positions. The abundant radio activity within Merctown never helps but now with the fire, it's at a Zenith. As best as it can tell, the card isn't receiving any transmissions.

      As everyone downstairs stays alert those on rooftop turn their attention towards Watcher. At that moment Grant notices three gigantic forms diving from the sky in a surprise attack from the east. At the last moment they erupt into blue crackling energy revealing terrifying raptors. One strikes each of the rooftop defenders except Watcher. Each of the birds land strikes and grip the three humanoids with incredible strength, yanking them into the air. With amazing speed they are carried hundreds of feet into the air as they whip through the night. The blue energy continues to hiss and sizzle on the magical and mundane protections the three have. While the birds streak off with Grant, Yanso and Barric, Watcher wheels to attend to the birds when it is rocked by mini missiles, though its backup weapon fires into the volley, destroying two of the missiles mid-flight. His systems indicate it was fired from a rooftop to the North. Two humanoid forms in EBA seem to be equipped with heavy weapons.

      Everyone downstairs hears the boom of mini missile explosions.

      1: Grant
      2: Yanzo
      3: Watcher (where he has discovered the card)
      4: Barric

      E1 & E2: Heavy weapon toting assailants

      http://www.firetype.net/images/rifts/eu/H4H/HavenCityMap_rain.jpg

      Butcher's Bill
      Grant -15 MD
      Yanso -11 MD
      Barric - 9 MD
      Watcher -70 MD forcefield


      Everyone on the rooftop needs to make horror factor saves. Current altitude is 400ft and climbing. Beltin loses 2 actions due to his return trip while out of body. Obviously everyone needs combat actions. Also the heavy rain impairs both sight and hearing.
      User avatar
      Virtus
      Game Master
       
      Posts: 132
      Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

      Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

      Postby Ashlynn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:14 pm

      Perception: 1d20+8 = 16

      JIC: 1d20 = 6
      1d100 = 17

      At the sound of explosions outside, Ashlynn flicks her laser sword on and calls into being her energy shield, in one smooth motion, assuming a battle stance, with Beltin at her back.

      "What the frak was that?" She looks at Ronith and Barracuda and the others, and at Beltin's inert body.

      "I'll guard Beltin!" With that, she takes up a position facing the door. If Zac, Marit, and Zoe are still in the room, she yells to them, "Get to safety!"

      Whatever happens, she will fight to protect Beltin. Pangur Ban said there's nothing greater to fight for than to protect the helpless. She rallies up all her inner strength, and her boundless energy to defend her new-found family. At the prospect of fighting for, and alongside, her new family, Ashlynn grins.

      Should enemies enter, Ashlynn says, "Come get some." She will fight, prioritizing parrying or blocking any and all attacks on Beltin, and attacking enemies when she has the freedom to do so. She will draw her NG-33 Laser pistol and hold it in her left hand, with the energy shield manifested on her left forearm, and wield the laser sword in her right. She'll parry attacks first, or use that action to shoot her laser pistol if there's a lull in attacks. Meanwhile, if any enemies step into melee range, she engages them with her laser sword.

      Initiative: 1d20+4 = 11

      APM: 8

      Action 1: Parry attacks OR shoot enemies at range. Strike 1d20+6 = 7 (Nat. 1!); Damage 2d4 = 2 MD
      Action 2: Slice enemies in melee range with Laser Sword. Strike 1d20+6 = 19; Damage 5d6 = 21 MD
      Action 3: Parry attacks OR shoot enemies at range. Strike 1d20+6 = 22; Damage 2d4 = 3 MD
      Action 4: Slice enemies in melee range with Laser Sword. Strike 1d20+6 = 11; Damage 5d6 = 14 MD
      Action 5: Parry attacks OR shoot enemies at range. Strike 1d20+6 = 11; Damage 2d4 = 4 MD
      Action 6: Slice enemies in melee range with Laser Sword. Strike 1d20+6 = 14; Damage 5d6 = 19 MD
      Action 7: Parry attacks OR shoot enemies at range. Strike 1d20+6 = 13; Damage 2d4 = 2 MD
      Action 8: Slice enemies in melee range with Laser Sword. Strike 1d20+6 = 21; Damage 5d6 = 15 MD

      Parries (if needed - as above, used Parries void actions 1, 3, 5, and 7): 1) 1d20 = 5; 2) 1d20 = 5; 3) 1d20 = 3; 4)1d20 = 12

      NOTE: Parries for melee attacks are at +11 (not factored in). If Ashlynn sees ranged attacks aimed at Beltin, she will attempt to parry them with her energy shield (rolls above -10 for close range vs. energy, -8 for bullets, -3 for thrown weapons) OR will dodge INTO those if parries fail, to protect Beltin.

      Auto-Dodges (if needed AND they do not put Beltin's corpse*ahem*inert body in harm's way): 1) 1d20+3 = 17; 2) 1d20+3 = 10; 3) 1d20+3 = 8; 4) 1d20+3 = 21; 5) 1d20+3 = 14; 6) 1d20+3 = 20; 7) 1d20+3 = 5; 8 ) 1d20+3 = 8

      CONTINGENT actions:

      If Beltin returns to consciousness and can join the battle, Ashlynn goes on the offensive, cackling with glee and shouting, "Awwww YEAH!"

      Action 3: Bounce attack, Ricochet shot (1st target), bodyblock. Strike 1d20+5 = 12; Damage 2d4 = 7 + 60% chance of knockdown (while she is bouncing she is -2 to strike)
      Action 4-5: Bounce attack, Ricochet shot (2nd target), bodyblock. Strike 1d20+5 = 18; Damage 2d4 = 7 + 60% chance of knockdown (while she is bouncing she is -2 to strike)
      Action 6: Slash at (hopefully) prone target. Strike 1d20+6 = 13; Damage 5d6 = 22 MD "Taste Laser Sword Bitches!"
      Action 7: Slash at (hopefully) prone target. Strike 1d20+6 = 25; Damage 5d6 = 15 MD
      Multi-Tasking Action: Ashlynn trash-talks any attackers as she fights, her mouth seemingly operating seperately of her ability to coordinate offensive and defensive postures. "You guys SERIOUSLY chose the wrong house to attack... Don't you KNOW? We're the HEROES for HIRE! You can't compete with that!"
      Action 8: Slash at (hopefully) prone target. Strike 1d20+6 = 25; Damage 5d6 = 17 MD
      Multi-Tasking Action: The trash talk continues: "Honestly? You should surrender. It's not gonna go so well for you if you don't. These guys are, like, SERIOUS professionals. You got NUTHIN' to compare to that!"

      If no enemies arrive:

      Ashlynn grows concerned, but remains at Beltin's side, certain that things are going to get uglier before they get better. As she stands guard, she chatters aloud to Beltin or whomever else is present until enemies present themselves.

      "Whoever these guys are, that's a coordinated assault they set up. At least it looks like one. They set fires to draw the Defenders away, and now missiles or grenades or whatever outside to draw off our perimeter guard. Pangur Ban would say this is classic strategy - you don't want a siege situation, so you gotta break defender's fortifications first. Remove access to reinforcements or supplies, then all that's left is to breach. Of course, Pangur would've had a good defense plan - And Ronith's is as good as any - I certainly don't mean to imply Pangur's would've been better - probably not - but he'd have a just-as-good one as this. He'd set up an interior fortification if possible - y'know - tip over tables to serve as barricades or cover - even if they're ineffective as armor - try to control the battlefield with smoke bombs or what have you, have a secure escape route, stuff like that. Pangur could set all that up on the fly in the time it takes me just to think about it."

      As she talks, she moves around the room, tipping over tables exactly as described to hinder potential enemy movement and potentially serve as cover, but keeps her eyes on the door and windows.

      "'Course, y'know, I've never been on the defense end of a siege-type situation before. Whenever we defended it was usually a running defense - Pangur didn't like getting pinned down - but Beltin's situation kinda defines the field for us, at least until he comes to. So whoever comes, we'll give 'em the ol' poke-in-the-eye 'till they think better of it."
      Ashlynn
      H.P.: 29/29
      S.D.C.: 68/68


      NG-A8 Scout Armor
      M.D.C. by Location
      • Helmet: 35/35
      • Arms: 25/25 each
      • Legs: 40/40 each
      • Main Body: 30/50
      Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
      User avatar
      Ashlynn
      Gold Level Patron
      Gold Level Patron
       
      Posts: 61
      Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

      Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

      Postby Grant Latham » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:58 pm

      Perception: 1d20 = 17 +4 (+8 on a ley line)
      JIC: 1d20 = 16, 1d100 = 43
      HF: 14 vs 1d20+5 = 15



      Constant Abilities
      Character Sheet

      • Sense Ley Line: 68%
      • Sense Ley Line Nexus 79%
      • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 100mi
      • Sense Magic in Use: 500'
      • Immune to Possession
      • Regenerate 2d6 H.P./S.D.C. per minute
      • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
      • Spell Range doubled
      • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
      • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
      Stats
      • H.P.: 56/56
      • S.D.C.: 23/23
      • I.S.P.: 69/78
      • P.P.E.: 267/572
      • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
      Active Magic and Psionics



        The long hours in the cold rain, the steady thumping of rain drops on the roof, create a strong meditative rhythm allowing Grant to multi-task as he watches for anyone approaching his home as well as think about the various teachings he's learned from the Three. He practices the odd, even for someone who practices magic, mental constructs that were drilled into him on q845. He quickly has a series of epiphanies standing there. The words of power suddenly vibrating in his mind as his mind unlocks the correct sequences to a new set of spells (Forcebonds, Invincible Armor, Metamorphosis: Superior, Shadowsword, and Wisps of Confusion). With it, he feels a sudden emptiness, a feeling that his reservoir of mystical energy has suddenly dropped. He focuses inwards and realizes that he hasn't lost any potential psychic energy, but the quantity that he can store within his body has suddenly expanded (P.P.E. Base 267 to 572). To this he is a bit mystified, but no longer has time to think about it.

        Radio: Basic 79% vs 1d100 = 3

        Finally the rain is stopping Grant thinks as the rain in his immediate area stops. He looks up to see a shadow, a blotting blackness of a huge pair of wings spread above him. To quick for him to stop or get out of the way, he feels the huge claws close around him and lift him to the air, crunching into the armor. With his upper arms pinned, he tries to activate his radio by shifting his shoulders and head, saying (possible to no one) in a shrill voice, a combination of surprise and panic, "Attackers on the rooftops. Being carried away by some sort of giant bird."

        Lore: Demons & Monsters 109% vs 1d100 = 14 | Identify the giant raptors

        Once up in the air, the jostling damped down to a minimum, he speaks the words to cast Armor Bizarre. The field of energy quickly loosening the tight grip of the claws on his body, but still not enough to drop him to the ground. The illusionary tentacles writhe around him. He looks around to see what can only be his teammates in the claws of similarly sized birds.

        He yells out, "Are you guys alright?" If I get out of these claws, I am going to drop hard unless I take care of that first. Grant uses his thumb on his right hand to focus on one of the new Talisman rings he's wearing and activates Fly as an Eagle. Both Barric and Yanso are tough, they should be able to survive the fall.

        With the spell active, Grant's confidence begins to return, I won't fall to certain doom. Now to make this bird let go of me. Grant turns invisible and then casts Blinding Flash up into the bird's face hoping the sudden burst of light will cause the creature to let go.

        Contingency 1: If the bird releases it's grip, Grant moves away from the giant bird and casts Power Bolt into it's face.

        Contingency 2: If the bird holds on to him, Grant casts Power Bolt onto one of the claws hoping to break it's grip that way.


        Initiative: 1d20+5 = 19
        APM: 8

        1. Try to radio team inside.
        2. Cast Armor Bizarre
        3. Call out to Yanso and Barric
        4. Activate Fly as an Eagle from his Talisman ring (2/3 uses left)
        5. Turn Invisible (Simple)
        6. Blinding Blash at bird's face.
        7. Begin Casting Power Bolt
        8. Finish Casting Power Bolt | Strike: 20 (no roll needed) | Damage: 5d6+12 = 26 M.D.


        Spells Cast:

        Range and duration increased by 50% due to proximity to a ley line

        • Armor Bizarre | -15 P.P.E | 90 M.D.C. | 9 min | Opponent is -1 Initiative, and must roll vs HF 14 every round
        • Fly as an Eagle | 2/3 Talisman charges | 180 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
        • Blinding Flash | -3 P.P.E. | Instant | -1 to save vs Spell Strength 14 | Blind for 1d4 rounds, -10 Strike/Parry/Dodge, 50% chance of falling every 10'. Does not affect robotic, bionic, or cybernetic eyes.
        • Power Bolt | -20 P.P.E. | Instant | 6600' | Dodge vs 20

        Total P.P.E. spent: -38 P.P.E.
        Last edited by Grant Latham on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
        Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

        Info
        H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

        Constant Special Abilities
        • Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

        Equipped Gear of Note
        MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
        6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
        User avatar
        Grant Latham
        Diamond Level Patron
        Diamond Level Patron
         
        Posts: 221
        Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
        Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Yanso » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:49 am

        Perception: 1d20+1 = 7 (+3 Amplified Hearing if relevant)
        JIC 20/100: 1d20 = 18 / 1d100 = 84

        Horror Save v 14: 1d20+2 = 15
        -------------------------------------


        One moment, Yanso is considering the consequences of finding another surveillance device on the roof, and the next he is flying through the air and gaining altitude at an alarming pace. He looks up to see what has him in its grip and sees some sort of raptor sheathed in blue energy.

        Where the hell did this thing come from?

        Grant wrote:"Are you guys alright?"


        "Am I all right? I'm made of metal, friend. The question should be are YOU alright!" Grant's casual question in the face of such a predicament reminds Yanso of the capable nature of his fellow bird-borne cargo. "I'm a bit startled and taking damage but I'll be fine." As long as I'm not too far up when I fall.

        With a mental command he opens the group frequency with his internal transceiver. <<"Heroes be advised: Grant , Barric and myself are being abducted by...uh, birds. Large birds. They are taking us due west and gaining altitude,">> Yanso announces to the rest of the group before the raptors carry them out of radio range.

        The damage reports blossoming across his internal HUD inform him he is taking minor but persistent damage from either the energy, the claws, or both. Yanso looks down at the receding streets of Merctown and quickly gets an idea of what the bird will likely do when it reaches a high enough altitude - just let go and let gravity do its work.

        Better to do this now before we get too high.

        After clumsily sheathing his sword, Yanso grips one of the crushing talons of the raptor in his metallic hands and charges his Energy Fists. He looks down at the street below him, hoping he doesn't land on anyone if his plan works.

        "Wish me luck!" He shouts to Grant and Barric as he activates his first Energy burst.





        -------------------------------------------
        APM: 8
        1: Radio: Basic 78%: 1d100 = 53 <<"Be advised: Grant , Barric and myself are being abducted by...uh, birds. Large birds. They are taking us due west and gaining altitude,">>
        2: sheathe sword
        3: grab the raptor talon in his hands
        4: MD Energy Fist burst on the talon: 4d6 = 17
        5: MD Energy Fist burst on the talon: 4d6 = 8
        6: MD Energy Fist burst on the talon: 4d6 = 12
        7: MD Energy Fist burst on the talon: 4d6 = 10
        8: Fall to the ground if he does enough damage to sever the talon or reassess what it will take to get out of the raptor's grip if he does not
        Yanso
        a Stranger in a Strange Land
        Horror Factor: 9
        M.D.C. by Location
        Head - 110
        Hands (2) - 30 each
        Arms (2) - 105 each
        Feet (2) - 50 each
        Multi-Weapon Blade & Sheath (1) - 60 each
        Legs (2) - 140 each
        Main Body - 283/305
        Constant Effects
        Amplified Hearing
        Psionic Dampers and Blockers (permanent Mind Block)
        Cyborg Optics (Telescopic: 4-8x30 mag, range 6000', Macro Lens: 2x to 8x mag, range 3 ft; Passive Nightvision: 2000', Thermo-Imaging: 2000', Light Filter: Glare reduction)
        User avatar
        Yanso
        Gold Level Patron
        Gold Level Patron
         
        Posts: 38
        Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 pm

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Watcher » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:50 am

        Perception: 1d20+11 = 13 (add an additional +2 in darkness / +1 in wide open spaces / +3 underwater)
        JIC: 1d20 = 17 / 1d100 = 75

        Conditions: Forcefield 80/150 (regenerates 1 MDC per round)

        Missile! Missile! Missile! screams Watcher's warning system. Spinning its lower body around to bring its secondary weapons to bear Watcher fires on the incoming missiles with its laser and manages to detonate two while at the same time dodging to the side. It doesn't work and two plasma missiles detonate center of mass against its forcefield. Thinking quickly the robot rockets backwards from the two humanoids that fired at it and drops down below the roofline of the Haven to put the bulk of the building between it and the assailants.

        Making a split second decision Watcher takes off after the trio of birds carrying Grant, Yanso, and Barric. With its primary weapon disabled by the Defenders Watcher reasons that it's better equipped to deal with the birds, besides, as far as it knew neither of the three being carried away could fly. Utilizing both of its radios Watcher sends simultaneous messages. One out on the Heroes' secure frequency, "Plasma missile detonation on the roof. Forcefield 53%. Two humanoid targets north 200' at launch point. Three avian targets west 450', velocity 147 feet per second. In pursuit." (Radio: Basic 101%: 1d100 = 90) The second message is on the public frequency of the Defenders, "MercTown Defenders, MercTown Defenders, this is Heroes For Hire. Four plasma missiles launched from rooftop at coordinates <blah blah>," along with a sensor amplified still image of the two humanoids. (Radio: Basic 101%: 1d100 = 7)

        As it closes with the birds Watcher keeps low and does its best to keep buildings or vehicles between it and the guys with the missile launchers. When it's below them the robot shoots upwards, deploying its vibro blades as it climbs.

        APM: 8
        Initiative: 1d20+7 = 23
        Speed: 550'/action

        Action 1: Close with birds. Dodge. 1d20+15 = 26
        Action 2: Close with birds. Dodge. 1d20+15 = 33
        Action 3: Close with birds. Deploy Vibro Blades.
        Action 4: Sword strike to bird legs. Strike 1d20+15 = 29 Damage 2d4 = 5 MD
        Action 5: Sword strike to bird legs. Strike 1d20+15 = 16 Damage 2d4 = 8 MD
        Action 6: Sword strike to bird legs. Strike 1d20+15 = 18 Damage 2d4 = 5 MD
        Action 7: Sword strike to bird legs. Strike 1d20+15 = 34 Damage 2d4 = 2 MD
        Action 8: Sword strike to bird legs. Strike 1d20+15 = 23 Damage 2d4 = 5 MD

        Auto-Parry (add +21): 8d20:
        4, 10, 14, 17, 20, 16, 4, 13

        Defensive actions (up to 4 actions including above 2 dodges, +15 dodge, +2 roll w/ impact): 2d20:
        13, 19


        Contingencies: Watcher will assist whichever one looks in the most need. Should they be dropped Watcher will attempt to catch them and lower them to the ground in as controlled a way as possible. Piloting check (Pilot Hovercraft 98%: 1d100 = 70)
        Who watches the Watcher?
        Status
        M.D.C.: 150 Force Field, 190 Main Body, 75 Left Arm, 30 Left Hand, 75 Right Arm, 30 Right Hand, 75 Weapon Arm
        Constant Effects
        360 degree vision, can't be surprised; Every technological sensor; Impervious to poison, gas, and biological agents, as well as psionic and magic mind control, charms, and Bio-Manipulation
        User avatar
        Watcher
        Diamond Level Patron
        Diamond Level Patron
         
        Posts: 189
        Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:50 am

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Ronith » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:48 pm

        Initiative: 1d20+9 = 14 (+6 if sixth sense applies, not including anti-tech bonuses)
        JIC: 1d20 = 10, 1d100 = 8
        PER: 1d20+9 = 19
        APM: 8

        Anti-tech Bonuses
        vs. all opponents who direct an attack at Ronith:
        - All machine-provided bonuses negated, including from any modern weapons
        - Additional +2 initiative, +2 strike/parry, +1 dodge
        - Opponents are -2 to strike Ronith (-4 if using modern weapons), -2 to dodge his attacks, and lose one attack


        Weiss wrote:"Sir Ronith, is there any defensive measures here in the HQ that we can activate ready for an assault or a security camera system or anything like that?... If there is to be an assault, then we should be as prepped as possible. If need be, I could prep that ATV I saw in the garage so it is ready for combat or chase if we need it to be?"
        Ronith shakes his head. "Fixer never installed active defenses, but we should have a modest security system complete with surveillance. However, between our psychics and the rooftop team I am not sure monitoring the same is going to be all that productive. If the Defenders are any indication, our foe intends to draw us out from the Haven. If so, I suggest that you prepare my hovercycle- if you can fly it. It is in the garage, and is faster and more maneuverable than a ground vehicle."

        The second Ronith hears (or detects via sixth sense) the missile attack, he is out the door at a dead sprint. As he leaves, he calls back over his shoulder to Ashlynn, Beltin, and Barracuda "Stay here and prepare for attack!" Then he is away- quickly fixating on the location of the two heavy weapons users and moving towards it as fast as he can. Along the way, he thumbs on the team radio. "Weiss, get after Watcher and the others NOW." In a matter of seconds, the cyber-knight has covered half the distance to the offending building- close enough for Ronith to summon his inner-strength and perform a telekinesis-assisted leap to the top ((-8 ISP)).

        Leap Math
        With his armor, Ronith can leap ~33.5' high; google tells me a storey is about 10 feet, so I'm assuming this by itself is enough to get to the top of the building with room to spare (i.e., he lands on his feet). Crunching the other numbers, with a TK boost and his armor Ronith can cover most of the horizontal distance in a single bound too- he needs to run for one action to cover about ~10 feet and get a running start, then fire everything to land on the rooftop. If this is incorrect, let me know or simply deduct actions spent running- if he needs to use the TK leap to get height instead of length then he'll need to spend about 5 actions getting into position.


        Before he has even landed on the rooftop, Ronith is eying his foes. If he recognizes the armor-clad 'demons' he fought earlier, then he will dispense with any attempt at getting them to surrender and instead activate Grant's invulnerability charm ((-1 charge; not deducted)). Let's see your magic get through this. Otherwise, the two fellows are presumably ordinary mercenaries- and Ronith will give them a chance to surrender even as he draws his blades. He growls, "Surrender now, or hope you can afford bio-systems."

        Either way, however, Ronith is out to take prisoners. He will focus on disarming strikes, and will not hesitate to chop off a limb if it will eliminate his foes as a threat. Well-aware that this is likely a tactic to draw him out of the Haven, Ronith will endeavor to make quick work of the duo- he will accept any offers of surrender and promptly disarm them.

        Action 1- Running start.
        Action 2- TK leap.
        Action 3- Contingent: Activate invulnerability if either one is a 'demon', otherwise dialogue.
        Action 3.1- Quickdraw swords (free action)
        Actions 4-8: Attack!
        Strike rolls, Frostfang (+16 for regular strikes, +6 for disarming strikes): 5d20:
        8, 8, 7, 16, 8

        Damage, Frostfang: 5d6*10 = 220:
        6, 5, 6, 4, 1

        Strike rolls, Skyrender (+16 for regular strikes, +6 for disarming strikes): 5d20:
        15, 1, 8, 12, 8

        Damage, Skyrender: 5d6 = 18, 5d6 = 25, 5d6 = 18, 5d6 = 13, 5d6 = 15.

        Sacrifice a strike with Skyrender to parry if either opponent appears troublesome.
        Auto-parries (+20): 8d20:
        6, 11, 16, 3, 6, 11, 17, 10


        Auto-dodges (+11): 8d20:
        18, 8, 3, 13, 1, 3, 8, 4
        I am better than you. You just don't know it.
        Status
        Personal MDC: 80/80 MDC left
        ISP- 53/61; PPE- 57/57; AoI Talisman- 2/3 charges
        +9 to save vs. poison, +8 vs. psionics/mind control and insanity; +10 vs. Magic, +9 vs. HF.
        Current Conditions
        Sixth Sense Active
        Natural Nightvision (300 ft)
        Amplified Hearing
        See the invisible (via amulet)
        Combat Acrobatics- No penalty to strike while moving
        User avatar
        Ronith
        Diamond Level Patron
        Diamond Level Patron
         
        Posts: 429
        Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
        Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Weiss » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:50 am

        Initiative 1d20+1 = 2

        Perception 1d20+1 = 15
        JIC 1d100 = 4 1d20 = 9
        APM 6

        Ronith wrote:Ronith shakes his head. "Fixer never installed active defenses, but we should have a modest security system complete with surveillance. However, between our psychics and the rooftop team I am not sure monitoring the same is going to be all that productive. If the Defenders are any indication, our foe intends to draw us out from the Haven. If so, I suggest that you prepare my hovercycle- if you can fly it. It is in the garage, and is faster and more maneuverable than a ground vehicle."


        "Understood, I'll go and get it ready." Weiss nodded and started moving towards the garage, slightly disappointed that he wasn't going to get chance to drive the APC. Another time perhaps he thought, I'm sure with this group, the opportunity will arise and at least it is big enough to hold the Blue Beauty.

        As he made his way to the garage, he slung the rifle on his back and checked how to open the garage. If they are intent on drawing us out, at least the fighting will be away from HQ and everybody, especially Zac will be safe. He just made it to the garage and was about to radio the vault to see how Zac was doing, when he heard the explosions.

        Looks like the party just got started and they are coming right at us he mused, starting to unsling his rifle, at least I can fight without too many issues here. Just wish I had my old Particle Beam Rifle. That would have life a bit more interesting.

        Ronith wrote:Along the way, he thumbs on the team radio. "Weiss, get after Watcher and the others NOW." In a matter of seconds, the cyber-knight has covered half the distance to the offending building- close enough for Ronith to summon his inner-strength and perform a telekinesis-assisted leap to the top ((-8 ISP)).


        Something is going on with the others outside and they are on the move Weiss' thoughts and actions went into combat mode. He had his orders and needed to head out. He reslung his rifle and leapt on the hoverbike, starting it up quickly without any pre-start checks. He stabbed the button for the garage doors least that was obvious on here. Saves messing around. lets hope they aren't waiting outside in an ambush for me before hurtling out of the garage as it closed behind him.

        OOC Comments
        Actions
        1-6 run across Garage (how many actions will that take) at speed 18 to Ronith's hovercycle, signalling the garage doors to open and start the hovercycle to begin chase

        With any actions remaining

        Hover Craft (Ground) 84% 1d100 = 1 to start it in a hurry. PASS - believe I get -20% penalty for using this skill and not Hovercycles
        1d100 = 67 if he fails the first time - no matter
        If Weiss makes it outside and spots the others up in the air.
        Land Navigation to plot an intercept course Land Navigation 64% 1d100 = 34 PASS
        Sensory Equipment 64% to figure out speed 1d100 = 79 - as they are able to breathe and are still in sight, they can't be going too fast FAIL
        Hover Craft (Ground) 84% 1d100 = 60 to chase after them. PASS
        Weiss has combat driving if it affects any rolls


        Contingency
        If there is an ambush as the garage opens (and Weiss survives it)
        Action 1 Run for cover by the APC, whilst contacting upstairs of the intrusion – Dodge roll 1d20+6 = 181d20+6 = 19 JIC
        Action 2 Gain entrance to the APC
        Action 3 Enter and close the door to the APC
        Action 4 Start APC at least enough to activate the weapon systems
        Action 5-6 – open fire on intruders with something
        User avatar
        Weiss
         
        Posts: 72
        Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
        Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Barracuda » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:39 pm

        Perception: 1d20+2 = 11
        JIC: 1d20 = 9/1d100 = 81

        From the confines of the office, Barracuda hears the sounds of explosions and many different radio calls going out. He springs out of the office door to see what the status of his team is before he hears the one thing he wants to hear in this situation: Orders from the Man in Charge.
        Ronith wrote:As he leaves, he calls back over his shoulder to Ashlynn, Beltin, and Barracuda "Stay here and prepare for attack!"

        In his civilian attire, Barracuda feels particularly unready for what may be coming. But then he remembers... Grant, you wonderful weirdo. He reaches for his necklace and along with his lucky Shark's Tooth he finds the various charms that were made for him and his teammates. Holding on to the shield shaped one, he wills its magic to activate (Armor of Ithan). Now properly protected, he sees that Beltin is unconscious and most of the Heroes for Hire are not present.
        With Ashlynn being the last conscious person left in the room, Barracuda turns to her and says "You ready to kick some ass?" He slams King Tide on the floor and then powers it up, a light purple aura of energy being visible around it.

        If any enemies present themselves:
        Initiative: 1d20+3 = 19
        APM: 6
        Action 1: Slash with King Tide. Strike: 1d20+3 = 22 Damage: 6d6+16 = 42 MD
        Action 2: Slash with King Tide. Strike: 1d20+3 = 23 (NAT20) Damage: 6d6+16 = 36x2=72 MD
        Action 3: Stab with King Tide. Strike: 1d20+3 = 14 Damage: 6d6+16 = 39 MD
        Action 4: Stab with King Tide. Strike: 1d20+3 = 13 Damage: 6d6+16 = 39 MD
        Action 5: Slash with King Tide. Strike: 1d20+3 = 13 Damage: 6d6+16 = 41 MD
        Action 6: Slash with King Tide. Strike: 1d20+3 = 19 Damage: 6d6+16 = 42 MD

        Parry: 1d20+6 = 241d20+6 = 91d20+6 = 181d20+6 = 131d20+6 = 161d20+6 = 8
        Barracuda
        Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
        SDC: 121/121
        HP: 23/23
        Critical Strike: 18-20



        Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
        Image
        User avatar
        Barracuda
         
        Posts: 256
        Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
        Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Virtus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:08 pm

        Conditions
        Time & Date: Day 2, 7:30pm
        Climate: 50F, heavy rain
        Visibility: 200ft
        Terrain: Urban
        Ley Line within 1 mile
        Heavy radio traffic
        numerous magics in use
        Moderate ground and air traffic due to fire. 500+ ground and air signatures moving various directions at speeds from walking up to 200mph within 1 mile. 100+ vehicles and individuals in move in various places within 500ft
        Audible distance 200ft


        Flight and Fight

        In the downpour all chaos is breaking loose. Massive birds of prey carry Yanso, Barric and Grant away. Even as the creatures tear off into the night, Watcher begins pursuit. Thunder rolls and lightning flashes as combat is joined by Ronith. The remaining Heroes for Hire prepare for imminent attack.

        Wind and rain whips around the trio being clutched by the birds. Other air traffic swerves around the birds now outlined in a ghostly glow. Radio chatter is alive with reports of the fire but the sighting of the great birds is filtering in. Grant reaches into his knowledge, believing them to be War Birds, giant eagles found mostly near the east coast. Spell upon spell he layers in preparation of escape though it takes great concentration to cast while being gripped. Finally he turns invisible and creates a blinding flash in the face of the bird. It jerks hard to the left, but keeps a tight hold. The power bolt draws a harsh reaction though the blue field seems to absorb the bolt. He once again becomes invisible. The bird holding grant tries to crush him, digging its talons in.

        Yanso too fights the bird's talons. Sheathing his sword the Kremin begins striking the talons with hammering blows. His fists crackle with energy that spiders over the blue energy field of the bird. The field shimmers under the punishment. Progress is made but not enough to get the winged monstrosity to let go.

        Barric also lands many blows, though not as effective as Yanso.

        Watcher begins pursuit. No sooner has it begun pursuit than one bolt of lightning and then another strike the robot from the clouds above. Focused on aiding its team mates, the robot pays the assault no mind and pours on the speed in the blinding rain. In seconds the Haven is beyond sight. Ahead are the birds. Choosing to aid Barric, Watcher deploys its vibroblade and goes to work on the giant bird. Strained high pitched, buzzing shrieks sound as the vibroblade meets the blue energy field. The birds are agile despite their size, dodging one of the strikes. Even so, the remaining blows have an effect on the field, but not enough to disable it yet. Watcher realizes that they are likely heading over the gates, which would bring it right by the Defenders who hold the control chip. A radio call ahead would likely have it waiting by the time the birds reach the gate. (another 15 seconds).

        Weiss, sparing not a second glance, races to the APC he spied earlier. Knowing second matter, he races off into the night in pursuit of his new teammates. Opening and closing the garage door as he leaves, he spies movement coming from the shadows as he tears off into the night. As he follows the birds, it comes to him that they MUST be heading for the gates. But there is something else at the gates too... an old friend. If he can just get there first. A radio call ahead could have it ready by the time he gets there.

        Not a bird, not a plane, but Sir Ronith Turand, Knight Eminent, Lord of Granite Hall! He looks more like something out of legend as he leaps into the air as if possessing the gift of flight. Falling with style, he lands on the second floor building over a hundred feet away. Terrified at the sudden arrival of Ronith the two enemies now look to be some type of gang members with numerous demonic motifs upon their armor, though of poor quality. They look nothing like the black clad things he met earlier. His swords flash like lightning in the night. In moments the thugs find themselves without weapons. In the flurry a grenade is dropped. It detonates covering everything in 10 feet in a thick red paint. Ronith is quick on guard but even so enough finds his visor to create a minor hindrance. (-2 strike, parry, dodge). The other assailant seems to have been blinded by the attack but is stumbling after the other who is running for a gable with an open window. He pulls a pistol he had holstered and shoots at Ronith who easily sidesteps the blast.

        Bum Rush

        As Weiss and Ronith leave Haven, Ashlynn, Beltin and Barracuda stand at guard as from from bushes and trees across the rain beaten street shadows emerge. Not quite the nightmarish vision seen in the thought projector the 5 armored men still pose a threat. They charge the door, firing into it with their laser weapons. In moments the door is a smoldering husk as the damp, storm driven air rushes into the building blowing loose papers off desks and swinging chandeliers. The moving lights cause shadows to dance as the two groups meet. Beltin comes to and leaps to his feet, engaging psychic enhancement to his agility before wading.

        Unfortunately for the thugs, the resistance is stiff. Barracuda, Lord of the Bay, wielding the King Tide rips through their armors like tissue paper. In second two lie before him in their defeat. Ashlynn's pistol and sword do quick work as well, doubling over one of the thugs. Beltin's psi-sword is devastating, bringing down another. Finally, only one is left looking stupid as his friends lay dead ahead of him.

        It is then that they hear a scream from the vault. Even as the trio spin towards that direction everything goes black. A hideous breathing fills their ears, sinking their souls in despair. Something in the dark threatens to consume them but not before torturing them with all the dark knowledge it possesses. They want to run, but find themselves unable to. At first they thought fear roots them in place but quickly it is realized that their feet are literally fixed to the floor. The sound of foot steps running away can be heard from the street.

        Birds are at 1,000ft of altitude and about 2,500ft west of the Haven.

        Butcher's Bill:
        Ashlynn, Beltin and Barracuda (-2 Strike, -1 Parry) All are stuck in place.

        Grant -10 MD (25 total)
        Yanso -11 MD (22 total)
        Barric - 16 MD (25 total)
        Watcher -50 MD forcefield (120 total)

        Ashlynn: -20MD
        Barracuda: -24MD (energy)
        Beltin: -12MD


        Image
        User avatar
        Virtus
        Game Master
         
        Posts: 132
        Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Barracuda » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:24 am

        Perception: 1d20+2 = 12
        JIC: 1d20 = 16/1d100 = 3

        Conditions
        :arrow: Armor of Ithan
        • 26/50 MDC
        • 4:45/5 minutes
        :arrow: Penalties
        • -2 to Strike
        • -1 to Parry
        • Stuck in place


        "Yeah! Feel the wrath of the seas, punk!" Barracuda exclaims as his team tears through the attackers. I think I'm in love with you, King Tide. He thinks positive thoughts about his newly crafted weapon and its success on their first dance together. "Welcome back, Beltin. Just in time to kick some ass." With the one attacker left, Barracuda gets ready to tear him a new one when he hears the scream from the vault. Turning his attention behind him, he sees the world turn black. Then comes the creepy threatening voice. His first instinct is to get clear of the black. Ah! Monsters! He begins to run but finds that his feet aren't moving. "Oh god, oh god, oh god!" Trying not to panic, he tries to focus on the surrounding sounds. "Beltin! Ash! You two OK?" Barracuda will continue to try his feet out. If they work, he'll get himself toward the sound of the feet taking off. If not, he'll stay right where he is and attempt to stay out of harm's way.

        Initiative: 1d20+3 = 7
        APM: 6

        Actions 1-6: Defensive actions. Reserved for Dodge.

        Dodge: 1d20+6 = 181d20+6 = 181d20+6 = 201d20+6 = 251d20+6 = 131d20+6 = 24
        Parry: 1d20+8 = 131d20+8 = 131d20+8 = 221d20+8 = 241d20+8 = 221d20+8 = 19
        Barracuda
        Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
        SDC: 121/121
        HP: 23/23
        Critical Strike: 18-20



        Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
        Image
        User avatar
        Barracuda
         
        Posts: 256
        Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
        Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Ashlynn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 am

        Perception: 1d20+8 = 27

        JIC: 1d20 = 14
        1d100 = 18

        Conditions: -2 Strike, -1 Parry


        The scream from the direction of the vault causes Ashlynn to pivot in place, only to be confronted by darkness - and something within.

        Faced with the dawning horror that something terrible - some demon - has come for them, has come to destroy her new family, Ashlynn does the unthinkable.

        She laughs.

        Literally quaking in fear, she cackles with a kind of mad glee. The scream was from the vault my family's in the vault it's coming from the vault I gotta get there It's between us I can't move my feet is It leaving or coming for us are they dead did they drive it off is It trying to escape and we're in It's way I can't move my frakking feet what is this thing... The thoughts come rapid fire as she crouches down to unclasp her boots, temporarily holstering her pistol to do so.

        "HAHAHAhahahahahahahaha... oh did you ever choose the wrong house! We're gonna carve ya up and serve ya to your own spawn!..."

        Meanwhile, she activates her radar, to deal with the ensuing darkness and get a better sense of the enemy - using the power to determine the shape, size, distance and location of this horrible entity.

        Interpret Shapes 75% 1d100 = 22 (SUCCEED)
        Extimate Distance 80% 1d100 = 20 (SUCCEED)
        Estimate Direction 80% 1d100 = 12 (SUCCEED)
        Estimate Speed 60% 1d100 = 99 (FAIL)
        Estimate Exact Location 70% 1d100 = 33 (SUCCEED)

        Once unclasped, if she can she places her bare feet atop her empty boots, reasoning that if something stuck her boots to the floor, she oughtn't touch it. If she can reasonably determine that the thing in the dark isn't one of her friends using her radar, she will spring to attack, leaping her full distance of 8' if needed. If she recognizes the fear-causing thing as someone she knows, of course, she will stand down unless it attacks her. The entire time, she talks: "You know, supernatural fear is a neat thing, but T'avi taught me that it's artificial. You can shake a person with it, but you can't break their resolve, unless they haven't any in the first place. for instance, I'm about to put this Laser Sword through whatever you got that passes for an eye - sure, you got me afraid, and yeah, maybe I'm shaking a little, can't get a steady grip, but it's gonna happen eventually. It's not really a good tactic, T'avi said, unless it's part of a greater plan. So that's where ya messed up real good, because sticking my boots to the floor ain't gonna stop me. Makin' me scared ain't gonna stop me. Nothin' ya got is gonna stop me, 'cause you're standing in the worst place in the world right now, an' that's between me and my family. Bad tacical position. An' I got Beltin an' 'Cuda on my side, an' that makes ya outnumbered, 'cause your cronies are lyin' on the floor bleedin' out or running down the street with wet trousers, all a' which adds up to a world of hurt for your side..."

        If at any point she can determine that the horrible, terrible thing in the dark is in fact one of her friends, she shuts up and chuckles. "Ya got me. I thought for a moment there you were a bad guy. Nicely done."

        If her radar senses no enemy in the dark, she will reason that the footsteps running away was that last combatant, and he was a spellcaster. She'll run (if she can) to the Vault to ensure everyone's okay there.

        Initiative: 1d20+4 = 5
        APM: 8

        Action 1: Unclasp boots
        Multi-Task Action 1: Determine foe size/shape/location via radar

        Action 2: Draw pistol, Fire at "Demon" Strike 1d20+4 = 6; Damage 2d4 = 4 MD
        Multi-Task Action 2: Pull feet out of boots, stand atop empty boots
        Contingent Multi-Task Action 2: If she cannot identify that the thing in the dark is in fact an enemy, she will hold her fire and wait - if attacked by it, she will parry or dodge until/unless it becomes evident that the attacker is not one of her friends.

        Action 3: Leap toward "demon" (leap 8') for Bounce attack, bodyblock. Strike 1d20+3 = 13; Damage 2d4 = 5 SDC + 60% chance of knockdown (while she is bouncing she is -2 to strike)
        Multi-Task Action 3: Chatter nonstop
        Contingent Action: Reserved for Dodge 1d20+7 = 12 (if possible)
        Contingent Action 2: if no attackers remain - Bounce/run to vault "Checkin' the vault!" If she finds enemies there, she resumes her assault.

        Action 4: Slash at "demon" with Laser Sword. Strike 1d20+4 = 19; Damage 5d6 = 14 MD
        Multi-Task Action 4: Chatter nonstop
        Contingent Action: Reserved for Dodge 1d20+7 = 21 (if possible)

        Action 5: Slash at "demon" with Laser Sword. Strike 1d20+4 = 5; Damage 5d6 = 17 MD
        Multi-Task Action 5: Chatter nonstop

        Action 6: Slash at "demon" with Laser Sword. Strike 1d20+4 = 8; Damage 5d6 = 23 MD
        Multi-Task Action 6: Chatter nonstop

        Action 7: Slash at "demon" with Laser Sword. Strike 1d20+4 = 16; Damage 5d6 = 18 MD
        Multi-Task Action 7: Chatter nonstop

        Action 8: Slash at "demon" with Laser Sword. Strike 1d20+4 = 22; Damage 5d6 = 20 MD
        Multi-Task Action 8: Chatter nonstop

        Parries (parries negate ranged attacks with energy pistol when needed): 1) 1d20+10 = 26; 2) 1d20+10 = 12; 3) 1d20+10 = 17; 4) 1d20+10 = 25; 5) 1d20+10 = 27; 6) 1d20+10 = 26; 7) 1d20+10 = 18; 8 ) 1d20+10 = 29

        Auto-Dodges: 1) 1d20+3 = 15; 2) 1d20+3 = 13; 3) 1d20+3 = 7; 4) 1d20+3 = 5; 5) 1d20+3 = 23 (Nat. 20!); 6) 1d20+3 = 5; 7) 1d20+3 = 11; 8 ) 1d20+3 = 4
        Ashlynn
        H.P.: 29/29
        S.D.C.: 68/68


        NG-A8 Scout Armor
        M.D.C. by Location
        • Helmet: 35/35
        • Arms: 25/25 each
        • Legs: 40/40 each
        • Main Body: 30/50
        Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
        User avatar
        Ashlynn
        Gold Level Patron
        Gold Level Patron
         
        Posts: 61
        Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Grant Latham » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:37 am

        Perception: 1d20 = 4 +4 (+8 on a ley line)
        JIC: 1d20 = 8, 1d100 = 4



        Constant Abilities
        Character Sheet

        • Sense Ley Line: 68%
        • Sense Ley Line Nexus 79%
        • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 100mi
        • Sense Magic in Use: 600'
        • Immune to Possession
        • Regenerate 2d6 H.P./S.D.C. per minute
        • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
        • Spell Range doubled
        • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
        • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
        Stats
        • H.P.: 56/56
        • S.D.C.: 23/23
        • I.S.P.: 69/78
        • P.P.E.: 229/572
        • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
        Active Magic and Psionics
        • Range and duration increased by 50% due to proximity to a ley line
        • Invisibility: Simple | BOM 97| No P.P.E. Cost | At will | Not distrupted by attacking |
        • Armor Bizarre | BOM 104 | 80/90 M.D.C. | 8.75 min | Opponent is -1 Initiative, and must roll vs HF 14 every round
        • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 2/3 Talisman charges | 179.75 min | 50 mph (1100'/round), +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.



        Grants thoughts and emotions turn cold as the alien teachings of the Lords of Magic take hold, he activates his talisman of Fleet Feet. You are a Lord Magi, deception and misdirection are your tools. A memory bubbles up in his mind:

        Memory wrote:"Dweomer is a city of peace, while we do have our Battle Magi and Automatons, it is the Lord Magi that are our first line of defense. They do this by obscuring our location and avoiding confrontation." says the four armed giant in front of him. "Magic is the life blood of a Lord Magi, and your creativity and imagination our the weapons in your arsenal. Turn your enemies attention away from you, distract them so that when you do attack, it is at where they are weakest."


        Grant quickly reviews his options and begins casting Hallucination creating the illusion in the eagle's mind that he has escaped it's clutches and is flying away. When it lets go of him to grab the illusionary Grant, he flies behind it and casts Shadowsword. A blade of shadow extends from Grant's hand. The invisible Lord Magi zips forward to strike the giant bird repeatedly from behind.

        Once it falls, he moves to Yanso and activates another charge of Fly as Eagle and casts it upon Yanso (instead of one of the strike rolls below) and yells, "You can fly! Get ready!" He then moves to strike Yanso's bird from behind with his Shadowsword. If Yanso's bird is defeated, he flies to Barric and uses his last charge of Fly as an Eagle on his talisman ring. If Grant has any strikes left he uses them to attack Barric's bird.

        Contingency 1: If the Hallucination spell appears to have failed to have any impact on the bird, he will try a second time.

        Contingency 2: If both Hallucination spells fail, Grant will cast Metamorphosis: Superior and transform into a wingless faerie (gains no special abilities, just the shape which should be small enough to slip through the claws).

        Initiative: 1d20+3 = 9
        APM: 15 (1 to activate Fleet Feet talisman +7 remaining actions x2)
        Critical Strike from behind or natural 18-20
        Deathblow on natural 20

        1. Come up with a new strategy
        2. Begin casting Hallucination on the war eagle
        3. Finish casting Hallucination on the war eagle
        4. Find a safe position following the war eagle
        5. Begin casting Shadowsword
        6. Finish casting Shadowsword
        7. Move and strike from behind with Shadowsword 1d20+14 = 31, Damage: 6d6 = 23 M.D. (Plus see spell description below)
        8. Move and strike from behind with Shadowsword 1d20+14 = 22, Damage: 6d6 = 22 M.D. (Plus see spell description below)
        9. Move and strike from behind with Shadowsword 1d20+14 = 32 crit!, Damage: 6d6 = 15 M.D. (Plus see spell description below)
        10. Move and strike from behind with Shadowsword 1d20+14 = 19, Damage: 6d6 = 22 M.D. (Plus see spell description below)
        11. Move and strike from behind with Shadowsword 1d20+14 = 19, Damage: 6d6 = 25 M.D. (Plus see spell description below)
        12. Move and strike from behind with Shadowsword 1d20+14 = 18, Damage: 6d6 = 18 M.D. (Plus see spell description below)
        13. Move and strike from behind with Shadowsword 1d20+14 = 33 crit!, Damage: 6d6 = 29 M.D. (Plus see spell description below)
        14. Reserve for Dodge 1d20+11 = 17 and/or movement
        15. Reserve for Dodge 1d20+11 = 27 and/or movement

        Automatic Parries (+14): 9d20:
        17, 7, 10, 15, 18, 13, 11, 10, 11


        HTH Bonus Calculations
        Strike: +3 WP, + 7 PP, +4 HTH = +14
        Parry: +2 WP +7 PP +4 HTH +1 Fly as Eagle = +14
        Dodge: +7 PP +2 HTH +2 Fly as Eagle = +11

        Spells Cast
        Range and duration increased by 50% due to proximity to a ley line.
        • Fleet Feet | PF2 186 | 2/3 Talisman Charges | 3.75 min | Self | Double P.P. (28: +7 S/P/D) Spd (64), APM (16), -2 Initiative, -20% skills requiring delicate touch
        • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 1 or 2 charges this round used on Yanso/Barric | 300' | 180 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
        • Hallucination | BOM 121 | 30 P.P.E | 27 min | Touch or 4.5' | Save vs Spell Strength 14 | Affects 1 being, +3 to save if has Mind Block activated
        • Shadowsword | PF12 80 | 22 P.P.E. | 18 min | 6d6 M.D. per strike + Save vs Spell Strength 14 or be -2 Strike/Parry for 1 melee round. Each additional success applies culmulative penalties and extends the duration by 1 melee round
        • Contingency 2: Metamorphosis: Superior | BOM 135 | 100 P.P.E. | 180 min | Transform into any living real creature. Has normal creature abilties and limitations, but not supernatural being abilities.

        Expected P.P.E. expenditure: 52 P.P.E.

        For Yanso and/or Barric:

        Code: Select all
        Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 180 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
        Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

        Info
        H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

        Constant Special Abilities
        • Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

        Equipped Gear of Note
        MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
        6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
        User avatar
        Grant Latham
        Diamond Level Patron
        Diamond Level Patron
         
        Posts: 221
        Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
        Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Virtus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:54 am

        ((neglected to add this))

        Over the team radio frequency Zoe's voice says, "They're here!". Those within the Haven hear a thunder clap that sounds like it is inside the Haven itself. Ronith hears a clap that seems to come from the Haven.
        User avatar
        Virtus
        Game Master
         
        Posts: 132
        Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Watcher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:33 pm

        Perception: 1d20+11 = 18 [Make removable] (add an additional +2 in darkness / +1 in wide open spaces / +3 underwater)
        JIC: 1d20 = 18 / 1d100 = 38

        Conditions: Forcefield 31/150 (regenerates 1 MDC per round)

        "Forcefield 21%," Watcher reports over the team frequency as it registers the two lightning strikes. Two lightning strikes in a row seems unlikely given the lack of grounding and the prevalence of other targets in an urban area. Not having the time to consider the matter further the robot disengages from its attack on the War Birds talons and makes a beeline for the approaching gate. "Continue to free yourself," Watcher says as it streaks away from Barric, "I will catch you if you fall," the robot promises.

        Activating its second radio as it did before Watcher again transmits on the Defenders public frequency, "MercTown Defenders, three avians approach the western wall with kidnap victims. I require you to restore this units weapon systems." As it flies Watcher monitors Barric visually and via radar and will come to his aid, or any of the Heroes for that matter, if they get free and start falling.

        APM: 8
        Initiative: 1d20+7 = 18
        Speed: 550'/action

        Action 1: Backup Laser on the war birds while heading for gate. Strike: 1d20+8 = 19 Damage: 3d6 = 11 MD
        Action 2: Backup Laser on the war birds while heading for gate. Strike: 1d20+8 = 12 Damage: 3d6 = 8 MD
        Action 3: Backup Laser on the war birds while heading for gate. Strike: 1d20+8 = 21 Damage: 3d6 = 10 MD
        Action 4: Backup Laser on the war birds while heading for gate. Strike: 1d20+8 = 17 Damage: 3d6 = 11 MD
        Action 5: Held/Dodge/head for gate
        Action 6: Held/Dodge/head for gate
        Action 7: Held/Dodge/head for gate
        Action 8: Held/Dodge/head for gate

        Auto-Parry (add +21): 8d20:
        4, 7, 13, 12, 17, 17, 6, 18

        Defensive actions (however many aren't used shooting, +15 dodge, +2 roll w/ impact): 8d20:
        20, 1, 6, 18, 7, 10, 19, 8


        Contingencies: Backup laser range is 800', Watcher will fire as long as it's in range. If any of the three start falling Watcher will divert and try to catch them
        Who watches the Watcher?
        Status
        M.D.C.: 150 Force Field, 190 Main Body, 75 Left Arm, 30 Left Hand, 75 Right Arm, 30 Right Hand, 75 Weapon Arm
        Constant Effects
        360 degree vision, can't be surprised; Every technological sensor; Impervious to poison, gas, and biological agents, as well as psionic and magic mind control, charms, and Bio-Manipulation
        User avatar
        Watcher
        Diamond Level Patron
        Diamond Level Patron
         
        Posts: 189
        Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:50 am

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Weiss » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:39 am

        Perception 1d20+1 = 12
        JIC 1d20 = 3 1d100 = 48

        Initiative 1d20+1 = 16
        APM 6

        Virtus wrote:Weiss, sparing not a second glance, races to the APC he spied earlier. Knowing second matter, he races off into the night in pursuit of his new teammates. Opening and closing the garage door as he leaves, he spies movement coming from the shadows as he tears off into the night. As he follows the birds, it comes to him that they MUST be heading for the gates. But there is something else at the gates too... an old friend. If he can just get there first. A radio call ahead could have it ready by the time he gets there.


        Racing out of the Garage on Sir Ronith’s Hovercycle, he immediately flicked on the radio,

        Action 1 – Radio basic – to the entire squad.

        “This is Weiss, I am in pursuit of our captured teammates. Watcher, I will be able to provide substantial support very shortly. I am plotting to intercept these winged creatures just outside the city with aid of my robot.

        Sir Ronith, I have exited the garage and locked it behind me, but I saw signs that enemy forces may try to access the HQ through that route. Watch your six.”
        Hopefully they won’t be able to gain access or that they would be intercepted before they reached the vault ... and Zac. Weiss shuddered at that thought, but he knew Ashlynn at least would make every effort to protect him. Hopefully the vault would hold. Getting the others back would provide a much better chance of dealing with this threat, even if that meant him bringing the Blue Beauty inside the city and screw the consequences.

        Action 2 – radio basic – the gate/parking garage
        “This is John Weiss, ticket number 96732. I am in pursuit of hostiles who are attempting to kidnap members of the Heroes for Hire whilst the majority of your defenders are dealing with other matters currently afflicting the city. The hostiles are airborne and carrying several members of the team. Watcher has already contacted you regarding our situation. I request that the Blue Beauty robot be activated and ready for my arrival shortly. I will be taking it outside of the city to engaged these threats to Merctown."

        With that, he took the hovercycle up above the street to avoid pedestrians and as much traffic as possible so he could use the greater speed of the hovercycle to his advantage. At this speed, it wouldn’t take him long to get ahead and reach the gates in time to be of use. He noted that the hovercycle was armed, but it would not do much good against those creatures unlike the railgun and missile launchers on the Blue Beauty. Save the others, get back and ensure Zac is safe. Nothing to it

        OOC Comments
        Action 3 –6 taking the Hovercycle above street level to avoid traffic and make good speed towards the gate
        Hover Craft (Ground) 84% +5% from the hovercycle - 20% for not being hovercycle so 69%
        1d100 = 98 1d100 = 8 1d100 = 34 1d100 = 51 1 FAIL, 3 PASS
        Speed wise, it can go 160MPH, but he will keep it down a bit to avoid crashing into things and getting through safely, so it depends on the street layout. On a good straight run, he will open it up.

        John has combat driving if he needs to carry out manoeuvres to avoid being hit or crashing into something.

        viewtopic.php?f=86&t=4463
        User avatar
        Weiss
         
        Posts: 72
        Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
        Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

        Re: The Long Shadows of Twilight

        Postby Yanso » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:27 am

        Perception: 1d20+1 = 20 (+3 Amplified Hearing if relevant)
        JIC 20/100: 1d20 = 15 / 1d100 = 77


        The damage indicators continued to slowly accumulate on Yanso's HUD as the energy encasing the bird's claws chews into his chassis. A silent, internal command activates his nano-repair system. Before he again grips the bird's talon above his head, he remembers yet again the talisman dangling around his neck and reaches up and activates another one of the nifty force fields.

        Don't know how much that will help when I impact with the ground but it's better than nothing.
        With the magical field engaged Yanso again grabs the bird's ankle. When his energy fists finish their recharging cycle he resumes his assault.

        Grant wrote:"You can fly! Get ready!"


        "What? Are you serious?" Yanso queries, considering the possibility his amplified hearing did not catch the mage's words. Then, as the bird's ankle finally weakens its grip enough for him to fall to the ground, he doesn't.

        Weiss wrote:“This is Weiss, I am in pursuit of our captured teammates. Watcher, I will be able to provide substantial support very shortly. I am plotting to intercept these winged creatures just outside the city with aid of my robot."

        Zoe wrote:"They're here!"

        "Listen!" he shouts with his amplified voice so Grant is sure to hear him through the wind "I'm heading back to the compound. This assault on us is designed to open the compound up for attack. They might need me. You, Watcher, and Barric should be able to handle these birds with Weiss."

        I hope.

        With that, Yanso peels off and flies back to the compound as fast as Grant's spell will let him.




        -------------------------------------------
        Initiative: 1d20+3 = 14

        APM: 8
        1: Activate nano repair system duration: 1d6*10 = 30+30 = 60 min
        2: Use Armor of Ithan charge from Grant's Gift
        3: MD Energy Fist burst on the talon: 4d6 = 11
        4: MD Energy Fist burst on the talon: 4d6 = 20
        5: MD Energy Fist burst on the talon: 4d6 = 18
        6: MD Energy Fist burst on the talon: 4d6 = 18
        7: Talking
        8: Flies back to the H4H compound at top speed (assuming he broke the bird's grip)


        AoI: 50 MDC, 5:00
        FatE: 50 mph, 180:00, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack
        Nano repair duration (22 MDC damaged): 60 min
        Yanso
        a Stranger in a Strange Land
        Horror Factor: 9
        M.D.C. by Location
        Head - 110
        Hands (2) - 30 each
        Arms (2) - 105 each
        Feet (2) - 50 each
        Multi-Weapon Blade & Sheath (1) - 60 each
        Legs (2) - 140 each
        Main Body - 283/305
        Constant Effects
        Amplified Hearing
        Psionic Dampers and Blockers (permanent Mind Block)
        Cyborg Optics (Telescopic: 4-8x30 mag, range 6000', Macro Lens: 2x to 8x mag, range 3 ft; Passive Nightvision: 2000', Thermo-Imaging: 2000', Light Filter: Glare reduction)
        User avatar
        Yanso
        Gold Level Patron
        Gold Level Patron
         
        Posts: 38
        Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 pm

        Previous

        Return to Heroes for Hire Adventure Forum

        Who is online

        Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

        cron