Beyond Broken Door

The continuing adventures of an arrogant elf, and the masochists who join him on his fools errands.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 am

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 2:30pm
Climate: 60F, partly cloudy
Visibility: 1 mile
Terrain: Urban
Ley Line within 1 mile
Moderate radio traffic
Magic in heavy use. Detectable everywhere.
Moderate ground and air traffic. 500+ ground and air signatures moving various directions at speeds from walking up to 200mph within 1 mile. 100+ vehicles and individuals in move in various places within 500ft


Heroes for Hire gather aboard the APC. Using the energies of the Nexus, Grant forces a thin line into the air. It grows vertically as if a blue fuse burning up into the air. Suddenly it widens like a window into an unseen room. Elizabeth takes a seat where available, glaring at Whyne. Of course she has of yet to know about the woman’s duplicit nature as Shara which would likely do little to improve her disposition towards her.

Grant leads and then the ship and her crew moves through this new window. The walls and city of Dweomer stand before them. An eclectic mix, reflecting those who live there. Classical architecture blends with modern fortification set opposite to clearly arcane necessities and utterly alien concepts.

Grant sends out a notice of their arrival across every frequency as they arrive. The reason is clear. Immediately. While most beings nearby scatter there are about two dozen which prepare for immediate battle. Some are certainly peacekeepers for Dweomer while others are likely citizens or at least friends of the city. While everyone braces for a rude welcome, a man of some authority holds the attack.

”Lord Magi Latham?” the man says. His voice booms clearly around the area. Most can ascertain that he is using some fashion of magic augmentation to project as well as he does. When Grant affirms his identity, the man waves a short wand of sorts in the Magi’s direction. Finally he nods and says, ”Welcome to the City of Dweomer. he says waving everyone through. No more information is given, nor any maps. Signs do point to a market area. Other signs greet the visitors informing them of the services and products offered within. The city lies before everyone. What are your intentions?

Image
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:43 am

Perception: 52% 1d100 = 85

JIC: 1d20 = 10
1d100 = 8

As the APC drives through Grant's portal, Ashlynn cannot supress an electric giggle of excitement. As the people on the other side begin to scatter and draw their weapons, Ashlynn, says "Oh frak!" and her hands go to the turret controls, but she does not bring the weapon to bear on anyone. When the situation de-escalates, Ashlynn removes her hands from the controls and sags in her chair. Oh good. REALLY wasn't wanting a fight there, and ... a rail gun is kinda overkill against people. Well, regular follk anyway.

Loud Guy wrote:"Welcome to the City of Dweomer."


Ashlynn sits up and peers through the turret port at the city beyond, awed by the possibilities and by the array of different people.

"This is gonna be great - I mean I know we have a job to do and all but I've never been to Dweomer before so I'm hoping we get a little time to explore. I heard there's a place where you can even buy a Dragon! Or maybe I'll buy a dinosaur! Although I don't know how I'd get it home. And I don't know if I can even afford that stuff - but there's so much to see and do!" She turns to Grant. "Will you show us around?" Even before he can answer, she is fairly bouncing in her seat with excitement. "I've heard there's magical food and magical drinks and magical clothes and there's so many different kinds of people and things to see and do and meet. Not that..." Her face turns beet red. "Ermm... Not... do... people. I mean... things to do and people to meet. That... That was out of order."

She slumps back down in her seat, face glowing red.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/40
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 0/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:56 am

JIC: 1d20 = 4, 1d100 = 96
PER: 1d100 = 31 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

Keyed up at the (understandably) tense reaction to their arrival, Ronith keeps a tense eye on the monitors, but relaxes once Grant makes contact. Seeing that Grant also has some familiarity, not to mention status, with Dweomer Ronith kicks back in his station and keeps an eye on the APC's sensors- not that he's expecting trouble this close to Dweomer. Finally, something goes right with this mission.

Ashlynn wrote:"This is gonna be great - I mean I know we have a job to do and all but I've never been to Dweomer before so I'm hoping we get a little time to explore. I heard there's a place where you can even buy a Dragon! Or maybe I'll buy a dinosaur! Although I don't know how I'd get it home. And I don't know if I can even afford that stuff - but there's so much to see and do!"
"Business before pleasure, Ashlynn. And no pets that can level the Haven, please." Ronith says briskly. That woman is going to bring the entire base down on our heads. I wonder if anyone in MercTown has revived the ancient human concept of insurance...

"Alright. Our targets are in the city- I have an image but little else to go on. As I see it, we have two options- Beltin astrally surveils the city until he spots the mansion I saw in my vision, or Grant and I approach a representative of the Three and attempt to go through official channels."

Turning to Grant, Ronith says "You seem to have been here more recently than I- do you have any contacts that might be worth approaching? The others can do some reconnaissance in the APC."
Last edited by Ronith on Thu May 03, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 20/66; PPE- 47/57; EBA destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:12 am

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 66
JIC: 1d20 = 18, 1d100 = 72

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 74%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 84%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 100mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 700'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 H.P./S.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • H.P.: 56/56
  • S.D.C.: 23/23
  • I.S.P.: 69/78
  • P.P.E.: 572/572
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics



Ashlynn wrote:"This is gonna be great - I mean I know we have a job to do and all but I've never been to Dweomer before so I'm hoping we get a little time to explore. I heard there's a place where you can even buy a Dragon! Or maybe I'll buy a dinosaur! Although I don't know how I'd get it home. And I don't know if I can even afford that stuff - but there's so much to see and do!" She turns to Grant. "Will you show us around?"


"Well, actually, I ..." Grant says between her words move from fast into overdrive.


Ashlynn wrote:Even before he can answer, she is fairly bouncing in her seat with excitement. "I've heard there's magical food and magical drinks and magical clothes and there's so many different kinds of people and things to see and do and meet. Not that..." Her face turns beet red. "Ermm... Not... do... people. I mean... things to do and people to meet. That... That was out of order."


"I was here actually only a few days ago. I haven't spent much time in the city itself," Grant says a bit chagrined. My other memories confirm that there are stores of all sorts here, including some that sell magical livestock. "Most dragons probably would eat anyone who thought they were their owner, I'd stick with something a bit more, bland, like a dog or a cat. No definitely a dog, cats never listen." The image of Ashlynn leading a T-Rex on a leash, her arm up in the air as it's huge head bobs above her makes the mage chuckle to himself.

Ronith wrote:"Alright. Our targets are in the city- I have an image but little else to go on. As I see it, we have two options- Beltin astrally surveils the city until he spots the mansion I saw in my vision, or Grant and I approach a representative of the Three and attempt to go through official channels."

Turning to Grant, Ronith says "You seem to have been here more recently than I- do you have any contacts that might be worth approaching? The others can do some reconnaissance in the APC."


"I'd recommend that we go to the administrative section and ask about Mr. Horne. If need be we can use Beltin's thought projector to display an image of Mr. Horne and his home." Grant says to the knight as they enter the city.

Grant looks at the city as much as Ashlynn, trying to line up the fragments of memory with the actual streets and buildings.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 am

Perception 37% 1d100 = 92
JIC 1d100 = 63 1d20 = 4

As they passed through the portal, he was oblivious to Elizabeth’s reactions to Whynne, concentrating as he was on the path ahead of him

“Whoa,” he exclaimed as they appear on the other side, with the city of Dweomer laid out before them. He took in the sights for a second thinking I definitely have to bring Zac here before seeing several people reacting to their presence. He slows the APC to a crawl.

“And whoa, this is what I was talking about.” With his hand hovering over fire controls, he was ready to put the APC in reserve to get them out of here if there was any trouble.
He wasn’t in command; if need be he would defend them from an attack, but anything further required Sir Ronith or if he was incapacitated Beltin’s authorisation if he’d properly read the chain of command correctly. It wasn’t like they wanted to go to war with Dweomer. Heck, even some of the people out there might look human, but might have the capability to rend the APC asunder.

As the Dweomer Defense Force stood down, Weiss breathes a sigh of relief and moves his hand away from the fire controls.
“I’m presuming we’re not going to be able to drive a heavy tonnage of military equipment through the streets, like Merctown. Grant, where do I park her up? And what are your orders Sir Ronith?"

Ash’s comments
Ashlynn wrote:"This is gonna be great - I mean I know we have a job to do and all but I've never been to Dweomer before so I'm hoping we get a little time to explore. I heard there's a place where you can even buy a Dragon! Or maybe I'll buy a dinosaur! Although I don't know how I'd get it home. And I don't know if I can even afford that stuff - but there's so much to see and do!" She turns to Grant. "Will you show us around?" Even before he can answer, she is fairly bouncing in her seat with excitement. "I've heard there's magical food and magical drinks and magical clothes and there's so many different kinds of people and things to see and do and meet. Not that..." Her face turns beet red. "Ermm... Not... do... people. I mean... things to do and people to meet. That... That was out of order."


“Probably best to start with something small, something less inclined for large amounts of collateral damage, unless somebody outside Merctown has a farm or something you can put the creature up in." Weiss advises, chuckling to himself

Ronith wrote:The others can do some reconnaissance in the APC."


"Ash, Ben," Weiss calls over to the other two Heroes for Hire not in conversation with Sir Ronith, "help me keep an eye out for trouble. That vision showed our Sunaj friends were already here. Best to not be caught unawares by them."
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Beltin Delhomme » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:24 pm

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 75 /72%
JIC: 1d20 = 5| 1d100 = 70%
-----------------------------------
Situated in the back, Beltin stays out of the way of the others as Grant conjures the rift and John drives through. As the commotion of being awestruck by Dweomer crescendos, the young mind melter can't help but have his interest piqued. He quietly joins the others in crowding the front of the APC trying to get a good look out one of the window ports. It isn't long before Sir Ronith's voice cuts through the mesmerism of the magical locale.

Ronith wrote:"Alright. Our targets are in the city- I have an image but little else to go on. As I see it, we have two options- Beltin astrally surveils the city until he spots the mansion I saw in my vision, or Grant and I approach a representative of the Three and attempt to go through official channels."

The image of the man and mansion Ronith saw in his vision... It would be best if this information could be more broadly shared. Beltin thinks to himself as he begins unzipping his backpack to fetch the thought projector. A smirk creeps onto Beltin's face as Grant beats him to the punch, giving voice to the shy mind melter's thoughts.

Grant Latham wrote:"I'd recommend that we go to the administrative section and ask about Mr. Horne. If need be we can use Beltin's thought projector to display an image of Mr. Horne and his home." Grant says to the knight as they enter the city.

"I am in agreement." Beltin says to Sir Ronith, removing the thought projector from its protective casing. "You and Grant should pursue the official channels, but before you go, if you could please put this on and project the image in question, that would be immensely helpful." If it is not obvious that the thought projector has a 'freeze' functionality to hold a projection even after the wearer removes it, Beltin will use the recording option on his Wilks FLIR binoculars to store the image. "I can try to psionically seek the man or his home, and can try to find the location astrally if necessary. Though in such a magic rich environment, I think my astral presence might be easily detected."

Beltin thinks for another moment before stating his conclusion, "If I can get a psychic read on the location, perhaps the rest of us can scout the place out on foot. As long as we stay in radio contact, we can coordinate our efforts. If we split up, however, we need to have a fall-back plan for where we rendezvous and at what time."

The young mind melter will try to perform a psionic seeking ((-6 ISP. 9 mile range. 45.00 min. 1d100 = 11/85%. Even failed roll, will be able to sense whether or not the object is within range.)) with the thought projected static image from Sir Ronith's vision.
User avatar
Beltin Delhomme
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:19 am

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 3:15pm
Climate: 60F, partly cloudy
Visibility: 1 mile
Terrain: Urban
Ley Line within 1 mile
Moderate radio traffic
Magic in heavy use. Detectable everywhere.
Moderate ground and air traffic. 500+ ground and air signatures moving various directions at speeds from walking up to 200mph within 1 mile. 100+ vehicles and individuals in move in various places within 500ft


Sir Ronith and Grant decide to head for local government offices. Dweomer is not organized like a modern city at all, but a sort of amalgam between feudal and communal. It's also possible that the accomodation of so many magical beings and their cultures that it inherently generates the unknown and much bureaucracy. The that end, after asking many people who had no idea where any office would be that could direct a person, Grant is able to converse with another Lord Magus named Tabitha Spears, identifiable by the armor. She was able to tell the duo of a couple offices that have information of that nature. However she knows of Mr. Horne. "Ahhh, you're the new one. She says somewhat informally. Anyway, his home isn't hard to find. In the east portion of Dweomer there is an area they call Kinnikinnick. He has a manor there with grounds. Definitely not modern styling. He's known for not being fond of visitors. It is said he is a dragon but I've never visited and have only seen him once. If he isn't expecting you, use caution." With that Tabitha moves on her way and bids the both of you a good day.

Beltin is successful in "locating" the house. He knows that it is in the eastern part of Dwoemer. The roads there however seem to be a bit twisty.

Barracuda, Ashlynn and Weiss watch the activity where they are along with Beltin. The bustle is lively. Beltin can clearly sense the presence of the supernatural. It's everywhere hear. While peace is had, the basic knowledge of dangerous things near them give a safari like atmosphere to the area. While they wait, they are also treated with watching a couple Battle Magus' pass by with their Automotons. Something rarely seen. You aren't sure but it looks like are returning after being on alert perhaps due to the alert Heroes for Hire caused at the front gates.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 am

Perception: 52% 1d100 = 15 (SUCCESS)

JIC: 1d20 = 5
1d100 = 49

Ronith wrote:"Business before pleasure, Ashlynn. And no pets that can level the Haven, please."


At mention of levelling the Haven, Ashlynn visibly shrinks. "Yes, sir."

Grant wrote:"I was here actually only a few days ago. I haven't spent much time in the city itself. Most dragons probably would eat anyone who thought they were their owner, I'd stick with something a bit more, bland, like a dog or a cat. No definitely a dog, cats never listen."


Weiss wrote:“Probably best to start with something small, something less inclined for large amounts of collateral damage, unless somebody outside Merctown has a farm or something you can put the creature up in."


Ashlynn nods.

Okay... there's a consensus. No dinosaur. No dragon. Maybe something smaller. Not a dog or a cat, though. But business first.

Weiss wrote:"Ash, Ben, help me keep an eye out for trouble. That vision showed our Sunaj friends were already here. Best to not be caught unawares by them."


Ashlynn keeps her eyes peeled and head on a swivel as they wait. She successfully suppresses her giddiness at seeing the Automatons (knowing she could never in a million years pilot one), but is nonetheless impressed. "Those automatons are cool. Think Grant can drive one? That'd be neat - maybe we can get him one and you and Grant can be giant robot buddies." She grins at Weiss.

If anyone gives them the side-eye, lingers overlong, or looks suspicious, Ashlynn checks 'em out. (Also note perception roll above)

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 26 (SUCCESS)
Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 98 (FAIL)
Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 4 (SUCCESS)
Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 39 (SUCCESS)

I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 22 (SUCCESS)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 18 (SUCCESS)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 26 (SUCCESS)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 32 (SUCCESS)

Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 13 (SUCCESS)
Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 33 (SUCCESS)
Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 68 (FAIL)
Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 22 (SUCCESS)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/40
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 0/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:27 am

Ashlynn notices a human merchant driving an open top mountaineer ATV who has just come in via the gates giving them a long look. Perceiving his motives, it seems that he knows an all day suc... er potential customer when he sees one.

"Ah, good day friends! You look to be new comers here to Dwoemer. Going to the market? I am going there myself. Their fees can be high there, but I can give you some good prices before I get set up for tomorrow. Tell me have you ever had Nexa Cola? It's the new feeling of magic drink! An innovative new beverage perfect for magic users! Drinking a bottle a day improves magic retention. Users have reported renewed vigor, longer duration and even great spell effects. The secret is our mobile bottling facility, relocating to a secret nexus to bottle Nexa Cola only during full moons! Even for non magic folk it can bolster the mundane body to better withstand magic attack. Since fortune has smiled on our chance meeting, and I not being one to ignore fate will offer you a six pack for just fifty credits. I'll go broke if I do that for too many people, but you're a charming girl and I can't help but want to help you. So what do you say miss?" he says with a gleam in his eye. He does look like a nice old man with his grey beard and balding pate. He probably is all alone in this world just traveling from one market to the next. His kids probably left home years ago and don't even call. He adds. "I'll tell you what, if you buy six I'll throw in the seventh for free. A baker's half dozen. That's forty two bottles! I must be going crazy in my old age but that's alright as long as I get you taken care of! I also have it in cherry and vanilla."
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 am

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 55
JIC: 1d20 = 4, 1d100 = 38

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 74%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 84%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 100mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 700'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 H.P./S.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • H.P.: 56/56
  • S.D.C.: 23/23
  • I.S.P.: 69/78
  • P.P.E.: 572/572
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics


"Thank you, Lord Magus, I appreciate your help and warning." Grant says with a smile at the woman.

After the Lord Magus Tabitha Spear leaves, Grant turns to Sir Ronith and says, "It was a bit of whirlwind tour when I was here last. I've only dallied in the city, and wasn't trying to find anyone then." Just a few days ago "Sorry, I had expected the regimented discipline of the academies of magic to influence the city itself more directly. But, we at least have an idea of where to go now." And the probability of me winning those 5 credits from Beltin has improved considerably. Now how do we get a potentially cranky shape changed dragon to say he is one, without a dangerous demonstration?

Grant asks around for directions to Kinnikinnick as they make their way back to the APC.

When they finally regroup, says, "We've got a lead, it looks like Mr. Horne is located on the east side in a place called: Kinnikinnick."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:01 am

Asking a few passers-by Grant easily gets directions to the area. "Yes, stay on this road for another two miles. You'll see a hotel there with green awnings. Take a right and go two, maybe three blocks. Now you could go straight but at this time of day it's going to be packed. So what you want to do is go left. There's a restaurant called Lanigan's. That's a good place that is. Anyhow so go past that..." Anyhow the man rambles on but gives what is likely good directions.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:49 am

(rolls carried?)

Stranger wrote:"Ah, good day friends! You look to be newcomers here to Dwoemer. Going to the market? I am going there myself. Their fees can be high there, but I can give you some good prices before I get set up for tomorrow. Tell me have you ever had Nexa Cola? It's the new feeling of magic drink! An innovative new beverage perfect for magic users! Drinking a bottle a day improves magic retention. Users have reported renewed vigor, longer duration and even great spell effects. The secret is our mobile bottling facility, relocating to a secret nexus to bottle Nexa Cola only during full moons! Even for non magic folk it can bolster the mundane body to better withstand magic attack. Since fortune has smiled on our chance meeting, and I not being one to ignore fate will offer you a six pack for just fifty credits. I'll go broke if I do that for too many people, but you're a charming girl and I can't help but want to help you. So what do you say miss? I'll tell you what, if you buy six I'll throw in the seventh for free. A baker's half dozen. That's forty two bottles! I must be going crazy in my old age but that's alright as long as I get you taken care of! I also have it in cherry and vanilla."


Ashlynn smiles at the old man. He's probably just selling flavored water... but he seems sweet.

She looks just a little sad. "I'm sorry... I just don't have time right now... but maybe I'll catch up with you at the market." With that, she resumes watch.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/40
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 0/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:54 am

Perception 37% 1d100 = 40
JIC 1d100 = 78 1d20 = 16

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn keeps her eyes peeled and head on a swivel as they wait. She successfully suppresses her giddiness at seeing the Automatons (knowing she could never in a million years pilot one), but is nonetheless impressed. "Those automatons are cool. Think Grant can drive one? That'd be neat - maybe we can get him one and you and Grant can be giant robot buddies." She grins at Weiss.


"Well, if Grant wants some pointers I can give him a few, though I think we'd need a bigger APC," he grins back at Ashlynn, her enthusiasm being contagious.

He parks up the APC and waits for the others to return. They could go wandering through the city, but all that would aid would be them getting lost. Best to let the others get directions first. With all the traffic, the sensors are certainly not going to be of any use Weiss decides, so he decides to do something else with his time.

Whilst they wait, he goes into the cargo bay, where the Blue Beauty dominated the space, leaving a corner free for Sir Ronith's hover bike and the gear purchased from the NG store. He runs some diagnostics on his pride and joy, making sure she is running at optimal capabilities and hefting up a couple of the missiles, he is able to begin the reloading process. Best to be as ready as possible.

As he finishes, he hears somebody talking to Ashlynn and something about magic drinks. Coming through back into the crew compartment, he pops open one of the side hatches to hear what is going on.

Virtus wrote:He adds. "I'll tell you what, if you buy six I'll throw in the seventh for free. A baker's half dozen. That's forty two bottles! I must be going crazy in my old age but that's alright as long as I get you taken care of! I also have it in cherry and vanilla."


I'll have to ask Grant as to the veracity about this magic drink. If it is real, perhaps a deal might be worth. Probably not, but you never know nowadays.

Ashlynn wrote:She looks just a little sad. "I'm sorry... I just don't have time right now... but maybe I'll catch up with you at the market." With that, she resumes watch.


Weiss coughs to announce his presence to the merchant, leaning against the open hatch, appearing as nonchalant as possible.
I'm sorry sir, but we are in the middle of something. If you give us your address in the marketplace, we can always swing by later and take you up on your wonderful deal.

He sticks his head back into the APC to speak to Beltin, who looks to have finished whatever he was doing.

"Beltin, have you ever heard of this drink before?"

Grant Latham wrote:When they finally regroup, says, "We've got a lead, it looks like Mr. Horne is located on the east side in a place called: Kinnikinnick."


"Okay then, lets fire the APC up and head on over. This place is far more open to the idea of giant robots walking around, even if they don't exactly run on the same power sources. An APC shouldn't be a problem and at least we'll have plenty of firepower on hand if those Sunaj turn up again or anybody else comes looking for trouble.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 55/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 6/1d100 = 58

Whoa. This is like, something else. Even Atlantis back home wasn't this cool looking. Ben seems excited as he takes in all of the new and different sights/sounds everywhere around him. When the Battle Magus with their Automatons stroll by, Barracuda looks up in awe at the size of the magical constructs. He turns to the crew and asks "You think those were for us?"

Weiss wrote:"Ash, Ben," Weiss calls over to the other two Heroes for Hire not in conversation with Sir Ronith, "help me keep an eye out for trouble. That vision showed our Sunaj friends were already here. Best to not be caught unawares by them."

"Got it. I think those dudes might be number one on my asskicking list."

When Ash turns down the magic cola vendor, Barracuda listens in but doesn't have anything interesting to add. Magic cola? Could be cool if it worked. Maybe Grant knows more about it.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Beltin Delhomme » Tue May 01, 2018 5:41 am

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 33 /72%
JIC: 1d20 = 20| 1d100 = 19%
-----------------------------------


With the mansion locked in his mind, Beltin will radio an update to the team, "Beltin here. I believe I have psychically located the mansion in question. It is in the eastern part of Dweomer, the approach consisting of a twisty, winding road. We will await your intelligence update before acting to avoid any potential faux pas. There is no need to make a bad first impression."

Though not much time has passed, Beltin's stomach demands attention. It voices its displeasure with a loud grumble. Ever the obedient servant, the young mind melter will head to the APC storage and grab one of the MREs (putting a couple more in his pockets for later), opening it for immediate consumption. If he is unable to find them (because they never got loaded into the APC, Beltin's face will panic a moment before he remembers that this squirreling of meals is a habit of his and finds one of the stashed MREs (either on his person or in his backpack).

He will subsequently head closer to the front of the APC, MRE half-eaten, the other half destined for a similar fate within the next minute, serendipitously catching the old-man's pitch to Ashlynn while laying down on a bench doing his best impression of a sea otter with his food. Beltin will think hard ((Lore: Magic. 1d100 = 85 /82%)) about whether he recognizes "Nexa Cola" or simply muses about whether proximity to a nexus on a full moon had any potential to impart mystical properties upon anything.

Weiss wrote:He sticks his head back into the APC to speak to Beltin, who looks to have finished whatever he was doing.

"Beltin, have you ever heard of this drink before?"

"Nexa cola?" Beltin confirms, lifting his head up slightly to demonstrate interest in the topic, "Can't say I have. Magical energies at a nexus during a heightened time like a full moon is liable to be unpredictable. The product could be just as likely to be a hoax or even detrimental to the imbiber. Still, we haven't too much to do while Grant and Ronith are making contact with the authorities, so if you wanted to buy some, my curiosity is definitely piqued."

It could be a trap. A voice in the back of Beltin's mind says. We are in a magical city, surrounded by supernatural beings, being hunted by Sunaj. Could be... an explosive in disguise, some magical means by which we become tracked, weakened or enslaved. Or... it could be as the man suggests... but the price is certainly VERY low for something purported to have beneficial effects.

If/When Weiss makes the purchase, Beltin will take some time to object read ((Object Read. -6 ISP. 2d6 = 10 min. Impressions: 1d100 = 24/74%. Images: 1d100 = 20/66%. Present: 1d100 = 36/56%.)) the Nexa Cola.

If the moment is missed and Nexa Cola is not purchased, Beltin won't worry himself too much about the lost opportunity.
User avatar
Beltin Delhomme
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Tue May 01, 2018 6:25 am

(rolls carried over)

Beltin wrote:"The product could be just as likely to be a hoax or even detrimental to the imbiber."


Ashlynn smiles at the others. Once the stranger departs, she tells the others, "It's snake oil. This old guy is just looking to make a quick cred on some gullible people. I was gonna buy a can out of curiousity, but I wasn't gonna drink it."
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/40
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 0/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Wed May 02, 2018 3:52 am

Rolls carried


Barracuda wrote:"Got it. I think those dudes might be number one on my asskicking list."


“I think they are on everybody in this team’s hit list Ben,”
Weiss smiles, gently nudging him with his elbow, but takes the opportunity to lean in close to Ben and whispers to him.
“Keep an eye of Whyne as well. Considering her past actions, I don’t trust her as far the Blue Beauty can throw her.”


He points out to Beltin where the MRE's are. Glad he did. Who knew what food was available here.

As most of the group were away, he kept a close eye on Elizabeth and Whyne; inviting Elizabeth to be a second set of eyes whilst he performed the diagnostic.

Beltin Delhomme wrote:"Nexa cola?" Beltin confirms, lifting his head up slightly to demonstrate interest in the topic, "Can't say I have. Magical energies at a nexus during a heightened time like a full moon is liable to be unpredictable. The product could be just as likely to be a hoax or even detrimental to the imbiber. Still, we haven't too much to do while Grant and Ronith are making contact with the authorities, so if you wanted to buy some, my curiosity is definitely piqued."



“What the hell then,” Weiss grins, speaking fairly quietly to Beltin, leaning more into the APC, “not like we don’t have the money. Let’s see if this is a con job or something more.”

“Go on then, let’s be having them then,” Weiss chucks a few credits the vendors way and takes receipt of the items. He makes the vendor put them on the ground and does not touch them himself. "If they are any good, where can we find you for more?"

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn smiles at the others. Once the stranger departs, she tells the others, "It's snake oil. This old guy is just looking to make a quick cred on some gullible people. I was gonna buy a can out of curiousity, but I wasn't gonna drink it."


"If nothing else, we may have just overpaid for some drinks that don’t do anything Or are out of date, placebos, taste awful or potentially dangerous. Might just be a con job or an attempt to harm us. Who knows, but let’s at least play along and see what we find."

Appearing nonchalant, he lets Beltin check the cases over psychically and runs a sweep through the drinks and packaging, checking for any bugs and ready to block or track any signals.

OOC Comments
Electronic Countermeasures 64% 1d100 = 32 Pass
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Wed May 02, 2018 6:07 am

The man, rejected by Ashlynn, visibly declines in posture the gleam lost from his eye. Walking away Weiss calls to him. Immediately the man is imbued with vigor spinning around on the spot.

"Yes sir! How many would you like?" whatever Weiss' order the places curiously on the ground but shrugs, having a card reader handy he can collect money in a number of ways.

When asked about where he'll be, he replies They will likely put me to left as you enter with other consumables! I hope there is some left when you stop by!" he says before climbing into his mountaineer and trundling off towards the market. Weiss is left with the Nexa Cola.

Image

Beltin performs an object read and gets odd results. The owner is indistinct, instead seeing many faces but they all appear to be alive though somewhere amongst them there does seem to be supernatural potential. The item is enchanted but does not appear to be possessed.

Delving deeper and looking for significant images, Beltin witnesses a factory with many workers. It appears to be the most significant event in this item's history.

Image

Weiss' inspect turns up some information. The carton and bottles indicate that is manufactured by Redd Bottling company in New Lazlo. It also appears that if you collect the right bottle caps you can send in for a free comic! The list includes:

Justice Darkly, A Light in the Burbs
Stories to Astound
Max Jones, Full Throttle
Violent Posy and her Immortals
The Bodacious Barracuda
New! Hell Hath No Furry! Fighting the Demon Menace.

No electronic devices are found.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Wed May 02, 2018 6:32 am

Perception: 52% 1d100 = 29

JIC: 1d20 = 10
1d100 = 26

Ashlynn smiles warmly as Weiss buys a case of the stranger's miracle drink. She idly glances at the case when he sets it down, and her eyes boggle.

"GET. OUT."

She points directly at the case, her finger hovering excitedly over the words:

The Bodacious Barracuda


"WE HAVE TO GET THIS."

She waves frantically at Barracuda. "BARRACUDA! Look. LOOK."
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/40
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 0/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Wed May 02, 2018 9:13 am

Perception: 1d100 = 42/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 13/1d100 = 33

Weiss wrote:
Barracuda wrote:"Got it. I think those dudes might be number one on my asskicking list."

“I think they are on everybody in this team’s hit list Ben,” Weiss smiles, gently nudging him with his elbow, but takes the opportunity to lean in close to Ben and whispers to him.
“Keep an eye of Whyne as well. Considering her past actions, I don’t trust her as far the Blue Beauty can throw her.”

Ben chuckles a little at the first comment. "Good point. I'm not the only one here who just had their house blown up." At the mention of Whyne, Ben nods in agreement. "She's not getting anything past me. I'm sticking to her like Sir Ronith to the code." Ben winks and then goes back to watching everyone's back.

Ashlynn wrote:She waves frantically at Barracuda. "BARRACUDA! Look. LOOK."


Ben's attention is easily grabbed by Ashlynn and he takes a look at the thing she's pointing to. "Oh! Cool! Nexa Cola has my comic too! Man, I really need to take a trip to New Lazlo and meet these folks."
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 am

(rolls carried)

After delivering the news of where Mr. Horne could be found and the confirmation from Beltin that he is to the east, Grant at first is preoccupied with his own sightseeing of the city. However, Ashlynn's excitement finally penetrates his mind, and he looks around. What is she going on about now? We need to keep an eye out for the Sunaj and perhaps the Vanguard.

Examining the NexaCola:
Lore Magic Enchantment 83% vs 1d100 = 59
Lore Psychics & Psionics 84% vs 1d100 = 73
Streetwise 88% vs 1d100 = 50
Appraise Goods 83% vs 1d100 = 14

He sees the six pack of bottles and moves over to them and picks one up. Reading the label, a visible sneer cross his face for a few moments. He quickly casts See Aura (6), Sense Magic (4), Sense Evil (2), and See Mystic Mark (4) and examines the bottle and the liquid inside. He thinks back to some of his classes about magical elixirs, and shakes his head. "There are potions that will enhance magic or psychic ability, but most are highly addictive. Their magic nature is such that they often taste terrible to the mundane." He drops the bottle lightly back into the cardboard case. A refuge for the desperate and the weak.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Thu May 03, 2018 9:35 am

JIC: 1d20 = 2, 1d100 = 42
PER: 1d100 = 76 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

Streetwise- 1d100 = 77 vs. 74%
To see if the soda-peddler is up to no good

Ronith complies with Beltin's request, projecting the image he saw of the Sunaj using object read for all to see- the better to identify a starting point for their search. Once Beltin notes that he believes he has located their quarry, Ronith nods. "Good. Change of plans then- we stick together. Let us find this Mr. Horne and make our intentions known. Given the collateral damage these Sunaj inflicted in MercTown, I suspect Dweomer's defense forces would appreciate a heads up. Before they come upon us standing amidst the rubble. We should also stick near the APC at all times as much as we are able- I do not want to give our opponents another opportunity to plant one of those bombs of theirs."

Along the way to Horne's home, Ronith will keep an eye out for a public, open space that they can use as a rendezvous in case the need still arises and the team does split up. With luck, it won't come to that. Should he spy the conversation with the gentleman selling Nexa-cola, Ronith will sit back and observe but say nothing unless he judges the fellow to be a danger. At Ashlynn's revelation that Barracuda's comic is available in New Lazlo, Ronith allows himself a brief chuckle. "Maybe after the mission, if Grant is up for it."

When they arrive at Horne's, Ronith will wave Grant out with him and approach slowly. Ronith is inclined to let Grant do the talking first, but if Horne's irritation and being visited is evident the cyber-knight is prepared to jump in and lay on the charm.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 20/66; PPE- 47/57; EBA destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Beltin Delhomme » Thu May 03, 2018 12:44 pm

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 34 /72%
JIC: 1d20 = 4| 1d100 = 82%
-----------------------------------
Unsure of what to make of the information from the object read of the Nexa cola, Beltin dons the thought projector once more and passes the vision onto the others in the APC. "There is definitely some manner of supernatural affiliated with the enchanted drink, but it is unclear whether their intention is nefarious or not." Beyond passing along the information, he does not pass judgment, nor does Beltin volunteer to sample the beverage.

When Sir Ronith mobilizes the team to move to Mr. Horne's mansion, Beltin acknowledges and will direct their movement to correspond with his psionic seeking as necessary. But when they ultimately arrive, Beltin will volunteer to remain with the APC. He will head to the rear and pull out one of his newly acquired textbooks and begin thumbing through it. This is going to be tricky... Beltin muses to himself as he comes across more than one concept that the author assumes the reader knows in advance. He makes a mental note to try to obtain a more comprehensive database of information to search through ((learning new basic concepts is so much easier with Google and Wikipedia)).

The young mind melter will trust his instincts ((Sixth Sense)) to warn him of any impending danger to the APC.
User avatar
Beltin Delhomme
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Sat May 05, 2018 4:14 am

Rolls carried

Virtus wrote:The man, rejected by Ashlynn, visibly declines in posture the gleam lost from his eye. Walking away Weiss calls to him. Immediately the man is imbued with vigor spinning around on the spot.

"Yes sir! How many would you like?" whatever Weiss' order the places curiously on the ground but shrugs, having a card reader handy he can collect money in a number of ways.


Weiss pays for one crate and swipes his card through the card reader, letting the man place the crate by the APC.

Beltin Delhomme wrote:Unsure of what to make of the information from the object read of the Nexa cola, Beltin dons the thought projector once more and passes the vision onto the others in the APC. "There is definitely some manner of supernatural affiliated with the enchanted drink, but it is unclear whether their intention is nefarious or not." Beyond passing along the information, he does not pass judgement, nor does Beltin volunteer to sample the beverage.


"Well, lets file these under random things you pick up when on leave," Weiss suggests to the others, "probably stick them in a cargo compartment for now. If the effect is of benefit to mages, then it certainly not going to do me any good. Just for the record, I found no sign of bugs or anything."

Looking at the image on the thought reader of the house, Weiss rubs his neck as he takes it in.
"So we have our heading. Just wait for the others to get back."

Barracuda wrote:"Oh! Cool! Nexa Cola has my comic too! Man, I really need to take a trip to New Lazlo and meet these folks."


"Wait, you have a comic written after you?" Weiss raises an eyebrow at the news; Maybe our young hero is more famous than I thought Weiss checks against the requirements to see if they have the correct caps for any comics, preferably the Bodacious Barracuda. Otherwise, they might have to get more Nexa Cola to get the comic for Ben and Ashlynn.

"When all this is said and done, we'll take that trip up there. How many comics have there been of you? And who is writing them?

When Sir Ronith and Grant return

Grant Latham wrote:There are potions that will enhance magic or psychic ability, but most are highly addictive. Their magic nature is such that they often taste terrible to the mundane." He drops the bottle lightly back into the cardboard case.


"Definitely wasted on me then," Weiss grins, picking them up and placing them inside the APC, as Sir Ronith addressed the squad.


Ronith wrote:"Good. Change of plans then- we stick together. Let us find this Mr. Horne and make our intentions known. Given the collateral damage these Sunaj inflicted in MercTown, I suspect Dweomer's defense forces would appreciate a heads up. Before they come upon us standing amidst the rubble. We should also stick near the APC at all times as much as we are able- I do not want to give our opponents another opportunity to plant one of those bombs of theirs."


Weiss nods, getting back into their vehicle and gets back into the driver's seat. He fires up the APC, as everybody settles back in.

"So Whyne, any idea where your ex clients might be hiding here or favourite disguises." he asks the spy, seeing if she'll provide any information if it were her life on the line. "As they want to kill you, any assistance in spotting these guys would be useful."

When they arrive at their destination, Weiss parks a short distance away as to not be immediately obvious from the house.
"What's the plan Sir Ronith?" he asks their commander, wondering what the plan was; were they going to stick together or split up again?
"Judging by what I can see of the specs on this thing, the communication system is UHF, so jamming it should be a problem and we can punch through a lot of interference if we are being jammed. I can run a sensor sweep; that might tell us at least who is around, but it is not the politest thing to do."


OOC Comments
Sensory Equipment 69% 1d100 = 70 if Ronith orders a sensor sweep.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Sun May 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 3:15pm
Climate: 60F, partly cloudy
Visibility: 1 mile
Terrain: Urban
Ley Line within 1 mile
Moderate radio traffic
Magic in heavy use. Detectable everywhere.
Moderate ground and air traffic. 500+ ground and air signatures moving various directions at speeds from walking up to 200mph within 1 mile. 100+ vehicles and individuals in move in various places within 500ft


As the Heroes make their way down the road toward Kinnikinnick, it's easy to tell the APC's disguise is not sufficient to fool everyone. Even with the modifications, there's no mistaking a Coalition APC look and sound to some. Particularly in the aftermath of the war likely refugees or ex-patriots of Tolkeen. Some seem to be ready to assault it if given the chance. Others ducks into alleyways unsure of what to make of the mechanized transport. Half however don't seem to pay it much mind. There are other vehicles on the roads as well, but certainly much smaller than the APC.

Weiss stores the Nexa Cola away for curiosity later. Even though Grant mentions that it potions often taste foul to the mundane, the old man noted it could help the mundane person develop resistance against magic.

Other than achieving notoriety due to the lumbering APC, it is an uneventful trek until they cross a small bridge into the area formally known as Kinnikinnick. Clearly it is an affluent area, looking more like fantasy artwork than the rest of the city. However, shining towers and magic glades aside security forces seem to be gathered around a particular residence. Weiss parks in the only area big enough to hold the APC. It's just out of view of the mansion. Looking like a super duty tour bus, some passers by stop to watch those existing the vehicle as if waiting for some unknown celebrity. As they approach the mansion on foot they run into the security forces around the mansion. Likely unsurprising to everyone, Grant quickly makes contact with the Battle Magus' there and discovers that it is Mr Horne's mansion. The three story brick mansion and ten acre grounds are surrounded by a ten foot stone wall with large oak gates at the front.

"Careful! Since yesterday several five have been injured approaching the mansion. It has been heavily warded. We've tried several attempts to reach the owner but all have been unsuccessful so far. We aren't sure why, but they had attempted to enter the compound. None are dead but all were severally injured. So right now this area is off limits."

Naturally the ruckus has attracted many onlookers but they are keeping their distance due to the Battle Magus' and other security personnel.

Weiss asks Whyne about how the Sunaj might be operating here in Dweomer, offering up that it might be in her best interests since they want to kill he as well. She laughs, "You are now my client. My safety is irrelevant." she looks at Beltin in particular. "So five people were injured attempting to enter the compound? That sounds fishy to say the least. I wouldn't peg this area as a high crime neighborhood, let along five in a day. I would be interested to hear what they have to say for their reasons getting in. I highly doubt any of them are Sunaj. As far as disguises they could potentially blend in anywhere in any one of a hundred different looks. I'd bet they are watching this whole area right now. As far as pinning down the signal it get tricky. Pretty much every radio set is encrypted. You would have to break encryption one at a time and hope they are talking when you do break it. The transmitting technology and encryption is nothing special. It's the size that makes it effective. I wouldn't be surprised if they have dropped a couple cards by air near or on the building. Sometimes you get lucky and can pick up conversation."
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Mon May 07, 2018 6:37 am

Perception: 52% 1d100 = 82

JIC: 1d20 = 12
1d100 = 59

The Bodacious Barracuda wrote:"Oh! Cool! Nexa Cola has my comic too! Man, I really need to take a trip to New Lazlo and meet these folks."


"You KNEW about this and didn't TELL me?" I need every issue. How many issues are there? Can I be in one?"

As the APC lumbers along Dweomer's streets, Ashlynn keeps an eye out for trouble, but she can't keep her mind from wandering - the sights and sounds of Dweomer and the tantalizing secrets it holds, the revelation about Barracuda's comic, and the job at hand all tumble through her mind unbidden, and she finds herself thinking sometimes about two or three things simultaneously.

Wow - a comic about Barracuda? Maybe I could be in it - or get my own comic. It'd be Mega Killrocket Superstar, and it'd feature me on my dinosaur-dragon - that guy's looking funny at us, better keep an eye on him, oh, he's leaving - it'd be awesome if I could get a dino but I know there ain't room at the Haven, but maybe a small one? And then when we - what're you lookin' at, bub? - get to New Laxlo if we meet the people who create it they can see me and my dino and feature me in a comic or in MY OWN comic, but right now like Ronith said there's a job to do and we have to get that done first...

When they reach Horne's mansion, Ashlynn listens to the Battle Magus telling Grant about the wards.

"How'd they try to enter? Through the gates? Teleport? I mean... I'm assuming all five didn't just try to walk in, right?" She gives the Battle Magus the side-eye.

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 14 (SUCCESS)

"And... who were these fellas... and what were they doin' trying to get in?"

This whole sitch sounds sketchy. Little too convenient for the one place we're goin' to be on lockdown when we get here.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/40
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 0/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Mon May 07, 2018 7:52 am

JIC: 1d20 = 8, 1d100 = 1
PER: 1d100 = 80 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

Weiss wrote:"What's the plan Sir Ronith?"
"We do nothing until we have established ourselves with the local authorities. Once we have their blessing to proceed inside the city, we can go to the mansion I saw in my vision."

As they move through the city, if Ronith notices the less-than-thrilled reactions of some to their vehicle he will open a window or large hatch (as appropriate) where he can sit and be seen. It may not be much, but the thinking is that seeing a non-human cyber-knight free and inside the APC may help calm the populace a little.

Once they park the APC (which Ronith will make sure is secure), Ronith will approach the crowd around Horne's with Grant and assess the situation. He will remain silent as the Battle Magus on-site briefs them, relying on Grant's greater familiarity with magic to try and figure out a way in. The wall will be easy enough for me to jump. But that might not spare me the effects of the warding, and I am loath to rely too heavily on my own magical resistance. Still it may come to that. The law enforcement response also suggests that this is not normal- something other than Horne's dislike of unexpected visitors is at play.

Ashlynn asks the question on Ronith's mind- whether he might be able to circumvent the warding by jumping over the wall, but to Ronith's mind that is too easy a counter to the defense and unlikely to work. Turning to Beltin, Ronith says "I know that in Dweomer the building is likely to be warded against such things, but do you think it is worth astrally projecting onto the grounds to try and find Horne? Something is clearly amiss, and he may be in need of assistance. Otherwise, unless we can undo or protect ourselves from these defenses, I may simply need to try leaping over the wall and dealing with the consequences."
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 20/66; PPE- 47/57; EBA destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Mon May 07, 2018 8:22 am

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 28
JIC: 1d20 = 2, 1d100 = 87

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 74%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 84%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 100mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 700'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 H.P./S.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • H.P.: 56/56
  • S.D.C.: 23/23
  • I.S.P.: 69/78
  • P.P.E.: 556/572
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics


This can't be good, Grant thinks as he sees the small crowd around the mansion and the security force setup outside the entrance.

Hearing that five people had tried to enter the compound only to be injured by the magical defenses Grant thanks the Battle Magus and moves back to his team to share what he's learned to those that didn't follow him (Ashlynn...)

"It appears that Mr. Horne has heavy defenses active around his home, at least 5 people were injured. The local security forces here haven't been able to reach Mr. Horne. I get the impression that while Mr. Horne is not known for being amicable, this may be a bit extreme. I think this may be a good sign that he knows the potential danger he is in." Grant says. I am going to share a bit of what we know with the Battle Magus to hopefully gain his trust and permission to investigate the magical defenses. In particular, I wish to tell him about the involvement of the Sunaj and the listening devices we've found."

Lore: Recognize Circles/Runes 99% vs 1d100 = 83
Lore: Recognize Enchantment 83% vs 1d100 = 5
Intelligence 67% vs 1d100 = 1

He returns to the Battle Magus, "Sir, my team came to speak with Mr. Horne, about the disappearance of a colleague of his. With your permission, I would like to examine the magic surrounding his compound." He pulls out one of the deactivated business card bugs, and hands it to the Battle Magus, "We found these devices in play in MercTown. I would keep an eye out for them around here as well. We believe the mysterious Sunaj may be after Mr. Horne as well."

Grant begins his investigation at the edge of the cordoned off area. Depending on the results (and if given permission), he will move forward if he can identify a safe path.

Grant begins by casting Sense Evil and See the Invisible, searching the area outside Mr. Horne's residence for anyone skulking around.

He then casts Farseeing, allowing him to see clearly at a distance. The mage then casts See Wards to see if such magic defenses are in place. If they exist, he casts Decipher Magic to be able to understand the runes used. Between the two he hopes to be able to figure out if there is a path that can be followed that avoids triggering the wards.

If he is able to approach the gates, he casts Detect Concealment looking for any hidden items.

Spells Cast
Being Near a Ley line, within two miles, increases the range and duration of spells by 50%.
Decipher Magic | HU2 321 | 4 P.P.E. | 21 min | Read magic symbols/runes at 94%. Can't be used to learn how to make a circle or a ward, but should be able to interpret the symbols
Farseeing | MA 9 | 3 P.P.E. | 10.5 min | See license plate/fact up to 2 miles away.
See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 P.P.E. | 600' | 10.5 min
Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 P.P.E. | 135' r | 21 min | Mind Block/Alter Aura/Protection from Magic will block spell.
Detect Concealment | BOM 94 | 6 P.P.E. | 45' r | Instant | Reveals any mystically concealed objects or people.
See Wards | PF2 193 | 8 P.P.E. | 180' | 42 min | See active wards, how many, general sense of power. Area of effect

Expected P.P.E. use: 27
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Tue May 08, 2018 11:14 am

Perception 37% 1d100 = 90
JIC 1d100 = 47 1d20 = 2

Ronith wrote:"We do nothing until we have established ourselves with the local authorities. Once we have their blessing to proceed inside the city, we can go to the mansion I saw in my vision."


"Understood Sir Ronith,"

Weiss drives through the streets. mostly oblivious to the attention the vehicle is getting as he tries to avoid hitting anything or running anybody over. As they arrive at Mr Hornes, and are informed of the security measures and the injuries to the five people, Weiss raises an eyebrow in suspicion.

Because that doesn't seem suspicious at all Weiss muses to himself, ten gets you one that they are involved somehow.

"Whilst you liaise with the local authorities, I will run some scans looking for the frequencies used by the Sunaj. If they are using the cards or at least similar tech, I should be able to pick them up. At least it will help establish if they are the ones responsible. I doubt I can get us in, but it might shed some light on the situation."

He sets the sensors to do a sweep over the estate, whilst having gained a lot of experience recently with the Sunaj transmitters, he moves over to the communications chair and begins a sweep on the frequencies used before. Maybe I'll get lucky

OOC Comments
Sensory equipment 69% 1d100 = 73 FAIL
Electronic countermeasures 64% 1d100 = 32 PASS
Detect Concealment 34%1d100 = 71 FAIL
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Beltin Delhomme » Sat May 12, 2018 4:22 am

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 91/72%
JIC: 1d20 = 4| 1d100 = 27%
-----------------------------------
Current Status
  • N-F20A Medium Force Field [on] (75/75 MDC)
  • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
ISP: 256/268
SDC: 69/69
HP: 36/36
Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
Conditions (temporary):

Virtus wrote:Weiss asks Whyne about how the Sunaj might be operating here in Dweomer, offering up that it might be in her best interests since they want to kill he as well. She laughs, "You are now my client. My safety is irrelevant." she looks at Beltin in particular. "So five people were injured attempting to enter the compound? That sounds fishy to say the least. I wouldn't peg this area as a high crime neighborhood, let along five in a day. I would be interested to hear what they have to say for their reasons getting in. I highly doubt any of them are Sunaj. As far as disguises they could potentially blend in anywhere in any one of a hundred different looks. I'd bet they are watching this whole area right now. As far as pinning down the signal it get tricky. Pretty much every radio set is encrypted. You would have to break encryption one at a time and hope they are talking when you do break it. The transmitting technology and encryption is nothing special. It's the size that makes it effective. I wouldn't be surprised if they have dropped a couple cards by air near or on the building. Sometimes you get lucky and can pick up conversation."

"You suspect that despite not having successfully breached the compound, these five people have nonetheless succeeded in planting surveillance hardware or bugs? Interesting postulation. That would mean that if anyone does successfully enter the compound, the interested parties will possibly be able to witness the vulnerability and follow in soon-after. It would indeed be important to either locate these bugs... even if we find the people who planted them, they may not be the ones listening in on the feed." Beltin reinterprets Whyne's evaluation. He continues to ponder aloud, "But these cards would likely have active electronics to be transmitting then, right?"

We should be prepared then, that if Sir Ronith takes his normal tact, charging into the fray, that we may have enemies following in through the path forged by our neigh invulnerably cyberknight commander.

Once done with his briefing from Whyne, Beltin will acknowledge her contribution, "Thank you." before joining others evaluating the mansion situation.

Ronith wrote:Ashlynn asks the question on Ronith's mind- whether he might be able to circumvent the warding by jumping over the wall, but to Ronith's mind that is too easy a counter to the defense and unlikely to work. Turning to Beltin, Ronith says "I know that in Dweomer the building is likely to be warded against such things, but do you think it is worth astrally projecting onto the grounds to try and find Horne? Something is clearly amiss, and he may be in need of assistance. Otherwise, unless we can undo or protect ourselves from these defenses, I may simply need to try leaping over the wall and dealing with the consequences."

"Whyne suspects that the five attempts at breaching the compound may have been used to drop some more of those card-sized surveillance equipment. Perhaps rather than fully locating Horne immediately, perhaps it might be more useful to first make an effort to recover the cards. That way, if we subsequently find Horne, we don't lead the enemy directly to him." Beltin counters, before continuing, "But I agree. There is the high likelihood that some manner of magical protection will prevent astral intrusion. And I also agree that this is a risk that I am willing to take."

If/When given the green-light, Beltin will first re-hone himself on Horne's location through Ronith's vision ((Psionic Seeking: Horne, -6 ISP. 9 mile range. 45.00 min. 1d100 = 78/85%. Even failed roll, will be able to sense whether or not the object is within range.)). Then he will ask Grant for access to one of the surveillance cards on hand so that he can focus on that to seek also ((Psionic Seeking: Surveillance card, -6 ISP. 9 mile range. 45.00 min. 1d100 = 91/85%. Even failed roll, will be able to sense whether or not the object is within range.)). Then he will head back to the APC and force his body into a cord-free projection ((Astral Transferrence. -15 ISP)). In combination with the seeking for the cards, Beltin will also active Electrokinesis in an effort to Sense Electricity ((-2 ISP. 18.00 min. 90 ft radius. 1d100 = 100/100%. Failed roll means only 1d6 = 2x10% electrical devices detected)).

Beltin will then head toward the mansion in a circuitous route intending to try to locate the cards first. Once he detects them, he will activate telekinesis ((TK: Super. -10 ISP. 900 ft range. 18.00 min.100 lbs. 9 objects.)) to pick them up and drag them along. The goal being to quickly collect and bring the devices back to the APC before returning for Horne's seeking.
User avatar
Beltin Delhomme
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Sun May 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 3:15pm
Climate: 60F, partly cloudy
Visibility: 1 mile
Terrain: Urban
Ley Line within 1 mile
Moderate radio traffic
Magic in heavy use. Detectable everywhere.
Moderate ground and air traffic. 500+ ground and air signatures moving various directions at speeds from walking up to 200mph within 1 mile. 100+ vehicles and individuals in move in various places within 500ft


Ronith instructs everyone to stay together. Under the pleasant sky and surreal surroundings of Dweomer, the Sunaj seem less menacing. The game has changed. The Sunaj are less of a shadow now to the team. Deadly still, but at least known as is they modus operandi.

The Battle Magus is intrigued and thankful for the tip on the cards. "Two of the trespassers had them on their persons." he says, holding them up to Grant. The Magus won't surrender cards, but will follow any instructions Grant or the others may give as to safe handling. It's possible that the conversation up until now has been heard for what little benefit it would be to the Sunaj. The Magus does give them leave to look closer thanks to Grant's standing. They only ask you not to touch the wall.

Grant's far vision is useful to a degree. The tall wall around the estate blocks much of his view, but when he does find a vantage point, he sees many wards. Mystic Energy Drain, burning pain, fire, agony are etched along the top of the walls and likely on the interior of the wall, though Grant can't firm that. He also cannot see what is immediately inside the wall as it is obscured to his vision. However, the walk ways near the manor itself also have wards. Again mystic energy drain and a death ward targeted towards evil. The house also has many wards of similar nature. The amount of energy invested into the protections is staggering, suggesting more than one person may have been working on the wards. What Grant does notice is that there is an area on the wall that has been cleared of wards, likely due to the repeated trespassers. Beltin's theory about the purpose of these invaders may be spot on. They seem to be clearing a path.

Weiss man's the APC's sensors. A difficult element about the cards is that they use the common band for transmission. Immediately he has a couple hundred hits as he scans and most are encrypted. Even basic handsets often use encryption. The cards operate in a similar manner.

Beltin reaches out with his mind. Though he knows very little about Horne other than the name, focusing on the manor Ronith saw confirms that this is the place. Searching for the cards proves immensely more difficult. Rather than searching for a particular item, he is instead searching for anyone of a couple dozen items that look like something they have. The results from his seeking is worthless. However his circling of the estate does pay off. As he passes the gate, he sees his only real glimpse of the grounds and manor. The grounds are well kept and features many pathways and gardens. The manor is equally well groomed, made of brick and stone. As he looks, in a second floor window he catches a glimpse of something. It was the unmistakable mug of a Larmac! No other cards were located.

Ashlynn and Barracuda discuss the unusual existence of his comic book and watch the show. It does seem to the both of them that this scene with all the spectators and broad daylight isn't at all their style though using innocent pawns is.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Beltin Delhomme » Mon May 14, 2018 2:58 am

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 1/72%
JIC: 1d20 = 14| 1d100 = 22%
-----------------------------------
Current Status
  • N-F20A Medium Force Field [on] (75/75 MDC)
  • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
ISP: 227/268
SDC: 69/69
HP: 36/36
Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
Conditions (temporary):
  • Astral Transferrence. 9 hours.

Still freed from his material form, Beltin rushes to return to the squad to report his sighting. He heads back to the APC, activates telepathy ((Telepathy: Superior. -8 ISP)) and passes on the message.

Beltin here. I was unable to locate any additional cards... not to say that they aren't out there. But what I did notice during my reconnaissance was a glimpse of a Larmac on a second floor window. If this is Mr. Horne, he is still walled up inside his complex. I would again encourage that we take care in our approach though. We do not want to give unnecessary openings to the Sunaj to succeed in their mission, whether it is assassination or person-snatching.

While the others process the new information, Beltin nervously flits about the APC in his astral form.

I need to augment my senses with some technology. Beltin muses to himself, thinking a bit about the lessons taught in the gumshoe book. Part of being able to survey another is to be unseen oneself. I am fairly certain that in this, I have failed and was spotted by the Larmac.

If sent back out by Sir Ronith to continue recon, Beltin will try to think about vantage points and how to remain inconspicuous. Though he will readily admit that in the current situation, outside an impregnable mansion fortress looking in, notoriety after breaching the perimeter is a fact of life.

But perhaps some of the Sunaj agents are hiding amidst a crowd of lookey-loos. Beltin concludes. I should pay attention to those gathered as I make my rounds. See if any of them make special notice of me. Especially since my astral form is invisible to the sight of the average individual.
User avatar
Beltin Delhomme
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Mon May 14, 2018 7:39 am

Perception: 52% 1d100 = 32 (SUCCESS)

JIC: 1d20 = 9
1d100 = 72

As she watches the others bend their various skills and powers to the mysterious Mr. Horne's house, Ashlynn thinks to herself, Maybe I could just activate my talisman Grant gave me and bounce right in. But... even if I got in... then what? She frowns at the feeling of helplessness, but knows she has to let the others do their jobs. They got training I don't have. Like Hagbard used to say - 'everybody's got a job.'

So while the team focuses on the mansion, Ashlynn looks elsewhere. These Sunaj always have eyes on. Which means... they might be spottable.

Ashlynn's eyes scour the crowd, and the windows of adjoining buildings, looking for anyone who might be an undercover Sunaj, an operative working with the Sunaj, or anyone who might look like they have 'skin in the game'.

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 17 (SUCCESS)
Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 43 (SUCCESS)
Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 37 (SUCCESS)
Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 85 (FAIL)

I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 12 (SUCCESS)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 61 (FAIL)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 61 (FAIL)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 86 (FAIL)

Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 45 (SUCCESS)
Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 4 (SUCCESS)
Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 24 (SUCCESS)
Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 99 (FAIL)

Her mind fully on the task at hand (as fully as is possible at any rate), she effortlessly chats with the others as they wait.

"So... 'Cuda? How many issues do your comics go? Is it an ongoing title or a limited run? I had a comic once but it got waterlogged when our APC slid off a ravine during a storm. It was cool! It was about this giant smart monkeyboy and this really strong woman who hung out together and rifted places through this machine he had and stuff. They fought frog people if I remember right. It was fun. But after that storm it was wrecked so I had to ditch it. Hagbard thought it was pre-rifts, and he got real mad at me for letting it get damaged, but whatever."

She turns to Weiss. "Are you tryin' to locate the signal? Good luck with that - they tried back at Merctown with no luck. 'Cuda can defuncterize the cards though, so they can't use 'em against us. He got the electromagnetic hookup. I got eyes on the crowd though, an' if I see a Sunaj operative I'll holler."

Holler...

"Hey... can we, like, just yell up to the house? Like, get a megaphone? Maybe if he knows we ain't Sunaj he'll just let us in?"
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/40
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 0/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Mon May 14, 2018 7:58 am

JIC: 1d20 = 4, 1d100 = 21
PER: 1d100 = 14 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

Tumbling- 1d100 = 27 vs. 101%
For maximizing Ronith's jump distance
Climbing- 1d100 = 25 vs. 131%
In case the wall is augmented by a force field or similar sort of magical protection
Charm/Impress- 1d100 = 93 vs. 100%
Trust/Intimidate- 1d100 = 18 vs. 60% (+30% if Horne counts as armed forces personnel; +10% if he is good-aligned, -10% if he's evil-aligned)

Ronith ponders the results of their initial reconnaissance. Wards again. But at least some directed towards those with evil intent. "Grant, give me as much detail as you can about the interior layout of these wards. I think that it is time for me to try to gain entry while disrupting Mr. Horne's defenses as little as possible. In particular the area that was cleared by the other would-be intruders."

Ronith himself will make a few preparations- putting on his body armor, and swapping his enchanted ring with the ring of eminent honor he was given in Texas. It may not be much, but with luck it will help convince him of my good intentions. The cyber-knight will then position himself outside the wall, observing it carefully and attempting to line himself up with the clear space on the other side. Ronith will also carefully assess whether the area above the wall is clear- 10 feet is a substantial barrier, but surely Horne would have considered the possibility of airborne foes.

But as the cyber-knight sees it, the magi's efforts are going nowhere and the longer the team waits without making contact the higher the chances that the Sunaj will find a way to bypass Horne's defenses. Ronith knows that they are risking the element of surprise- leaping a wall in the midst of a police blockade isn't exactly a subtle maneuver, and even in his armor Ronith is likely to be recognized if seen by the Sunaj or their agents. But then, driving a re-purposed CS APC through the streets wasn't exactly subtle, either, and the Sunaj might have their own means of tracking the group via psionics or magic.

In any event- Ronith addresses the team. "Unless someone else has a better idea, I am going to attempt to leap the wall. Per the magus' instructions I will not touch it, hopefully land in an area clear of wards on the other side, and present myself to Horne. If that doesn't work, I may have to rely on my magical resistance to get through. The rest of you stay out here and keep an eye on the crowd- if the Sunaj are watching this little scene, they may decide that my own attempt at breaching the defenses is an opportunity they cannot pass up."

Ronith will then circle the outer perimeter of the building. The ideal location to jump would be out of the crowd's view, with adequate room for a running start, and positioned to allow Ronith to land in the spot free of wards on the other side (given his jumping distance, if the mansion is located in the center of the grounds Ronith should be able to land on or in front of it). He will keep his hands free in case there is a field or other barrier that blocks his approach, but he will also be prepared to grasp Frostfang for its runes of warding before he lands. Once he's positioned as well as he is able, Ronith will run then vault the wall.

If there is an energy barrier, Ronith will likely find it in short order and attempt to grab on and climb around looking for some sort of opening (or at least a more graceful way to get back down than ricocheting). If he makes it to the other side, Ronith will grasp Frostfang before he lands and pay attention to his sixth sense. If it indicates imminent harm, he will use the armor of ithan talisman given to him by Grant. Otherwise Ronith will land, stand, look around to make sure all is well, then remove his helmet and call out to Larmac (or where Beltin spotted him).

"I am Sir Ronith Turand, Lord of the Granite Hall. I would speak with you, Master Horne, regarding our common adversary."
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 20/66; PPE- 47/57; EBA destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Mon May 14, 2018 12:48 pm

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 24
JIC: 1d20 = 4, 1d100 = 31

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 74%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 84%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 100mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 700'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 H.P./S.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • H.P.: 56/56
  • S.D.C.: 23/23
  • I.S.P.: 69/78
  • P.P.E.: 529/572
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Being Near a Ley line, within two miles, increases the range and duration of spells by 50%.
  • Decipher Magic | HU2 321 | 4 P.P.E. | 21 min | Read magic symbols/runes at 94%. Can't be used to learn how to make a circle or a ward, but should be able to interpret the symbols
  • Farseeing | MA 9 | 3 P.P.E. | 10.5 min | See license plate/fact up to 2 miles away.
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 P.P.E. | 600' | 10.5 min
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 P.P.E. | 135' r | 21 min | Mind Block/Alter Aura/Protection from Magic will block spell.
  • See Wards | PF2 193 | 8 P.P.E. | 180' | 42 min | See active wards, how many, general sense of power. Area of effect


To the Battle Magus, Grant hand gestures to the man to hand the cards off to another and walk a way from him. Quietly, Grant tells him, "The cards send both location and audio. Mostly like everything you've said to your team is now known to them. I would secure them extra-dimensionally, have someone try to jam their frequencies, or just outright smash them as soon as possible."

...

As expected, Grant thinks, as he looks at the mansion and it's grounds with his magical sight. Diabolism is supposed to be a rare art. Yet, I've met two individuals who know it, Marit and Dolgroth, and it looks like we may be meeting a third. This level of complexity though makes Dolgroth's child like in comparision. The Lord Magi in him then discounts it. It's all well and good if you can plan in advance, but wards are too time consuming when one is one the move. By it's very nature it forces you to stay where they are to benefit from them.

"Sir Ronith, team, the area has been heavily enchanted with wards of dire intentions. The time and effort to create, let alone energize them is staggering." Grant can't hide that he's impressed with the technical skill required. "Outside of the walkways, the wards are much more general and appear they will affect anyone. On the walkways it appears that they target towards those of an ill intent and focus on draining magical injury and inflicting injury. They remind me a bit of what we encountered in Dolgrath's base. Those wards bypassed my magical defenses and struck me directly." Grant says a frown on his face as he remembers the incident.

He points to a section of the wall, "That area looks to be where the interlopers that we've been told about have been systematically attempting to trigger the wards. Two of them had the same type of cards that Ms Whyne was distributing."

When Beltin's thoughts reach him telepathically, he activates his own telepathy to communicate clearly back to him. Be wary, my friend, the Three, and therefore the brotherhoods dislike the blatant use of psychic abilities. There's a mental pause, then Grant continues, The idea that Mr. Horne might be the Larmac, Bogg, is intriguing. But I believe he was a friend of Yanso's. I think it may just be Bogg, but still a good sign that McGrath is inside. Perhaps you could reach his mind telepathically, let him know that we have captured Ms Whyne and are in the employ of Mrs. McGrath?

As Sir Ronith prepares to enter the grounds of the manor, Grant steps up, "The wards are many and layered. I've given you a charm that provides a resistance to magical energy, the square shaped one. That might be your best bet to survive long enough to announce yourself and still be able to get out." The desire to test his magic against this causes him to speak again, "If you wish, I will go with you."

Spells and Psionics Activated
  • Telepathy | 4 I.S.P. | RUE 177 | Surface Thoughts: 60'
    Two-way Telepathic: 380' | 14 min
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Mon May 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Perception 37% 1d100 = 26
JIC 1d100 = 24 1d20 = 19

Ashlynn wrote:She turns to Weiss. "Are you tryin' to locate the signal? Good luck with that - they tried back at Merctown with no luck. 'Cuda can defuncterize the cards though, so they can't use 'em against us. He got the electromagnetic hookup. I got eyes on the crowd though, an' if I see a Sunaj operative I'll holler."


"Unfortunately, with all the radio signals at play, I can't isolate the ones they are using even though we know they are at play." Weiss screws up his face, annoyed at not being able to isolate the signals.

Beltin Delhomme wrote:Beltin here. I was unable to locate any additional cards... not to say that they aren't out there. But what I did notice during my reconnaissance was a glimpse of a Larmac on a second floor window. If this is Mr. Horne, he is still walled up inside his complex. I would again encourage that we take care in our approach though. We do not want to give unnecessary openings to the Sunaj to succeed in their mission, whether it is assassination or person-snatching.


"Boggs, who we know to be travelling with Mcgrath is a Larmac. he reminds the others, not hearing Grant's mental reply, "its more likely him. I can't imagine many dragons would deign to look like one if they had a choice. Though from what I hear about Dragons and sleeping, they probably have a lot in common."

Ronith wrote:In any event- Ronith addresses the team. "Unless someone else has a better idea, I am going to attempt to leap the wall. Per the magus' instructions I will not touch it, hopefully land in an area clear of wards on the other side, and present myself to Horne. If that doesn't work, I may have to rely on my magical resistance to get through. The rest of you stay out here and keep an eye on the crowd- if the Sunaj are watching this little scene, they may decide that my own attempt at breaching the defenses is an opportunity they cannot pass up."


Weiss nods to show he understands, but he is frustrated. Dammit, stuck in the van waiting. This is the bit I hate the most. Must be something else I can do. Not much good for spotting invisible or shapeshifted people. He climbs back into the driver's seat and actively controls the sensors, doing a sweep of the house. Magic is all well and good, but a good thermal scan can tell us how many people are in there.

OOC Comments
Sensory equipment 69% 1d100 = 85
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Beltin Delhomme » Tue May 15, 2018 1:12 pm

((rolls carried))

Current Status
  • N-F20A Medium Force Field [on] (75/75 MDC)
  • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
ISP: 219/268
SDC: 69/69
HP: 36/36
Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
Conditions (temporary):
  • Astral Transferrence. 9 hours.
  • Telepathy: Superior. 9 miles. 45.00 minutes. 85% success.


Bogg, of course! How silly of me to assume that was Mr. Horne. Beltin mentally chastises himself as others on the squad more accurately interpret his reconnaissance.

Grant Latham wrote:When Beltin's thoughts reach him telepathically, he activates his own telepathy to communicate clearly back to him. Be wary, my friend, the Three, and therefore the brotherhoods dislike the blatant use of psychic abilities. There's a mental pause, then Grant continues, The idea that Mr. Horne might be the Larmac, Bogg, is intriguing. But I believe he was a friend of Yanso's. I think it may just be Bogg, but still a good sign that McGrath is inside. Perhaps you could reach his mind telepathically, let him know that we have captured Ms Whyne and are in the employ of Mrs. McGrath?

An excellent suggestion. If I can get into proximity again, I will try to speak to Bogg's mind. Beltin thought-replies to Grant. Though he may not see it, Beltin also acknowledges Weiss' recognition of the Larmac with an ephemeral nod of respect.

With Bogg now in mind (or whoever the Larmac was) ((will use Total Recall if necessary)), he will try to seek him specifically ((Psionic Seeking. -6 ISP. 9 miles. 45.00 min. 85% | 1d100 = 99)) so that he can more accurately send his telepathic message (and also get a sense if he moved far from where he was last spotted). Beltin will try to stay at range, utilizing near the maximum of his 1100' range for two-way communication using Telepathy: Superior. If able, he will communicate the following message:

Greetings Bogg. My name is Beltin Delhomme, resident psychic of Heroes for Hire, operating out of New Paducah or MercTown. We are under the employ of Mrs. McGrath and have followed the clues of your disappearance to the mansion of Mr. Horne. It would appear there are beings with malicious intent that have attempted to breach your perimeter a few times. Please help us help you. If you have information about the assailants, perhaps that would enable us to pick them out of the crowd of watchers. Or perhaps you will permit our cyberknight leader, Sir Ronith Turand, Lord of Granite Hall to enter and parlay.
User avatar
Beltin Delhomme
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Tue May 15, 2018 5:53 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 18/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 20/1d100 = 89

Weiss wrote:
Barracuda wrote:"Oh! Cool! Nexa Cola has my comic too! Man, I really need to take a trip to New Lazlo and meet these folks."

Ashlynn wrote:"You KNEW about this and didn't TELL me?" I need every issue. How many issues are there? Can I be in one?"

"Wait, you have a comic written after you? When all this is said and done, we'll take that trip up there. How many comics have there been of you? And who is writing them?

Ashlynn wrote:"So... 'Cuda? How many issues do your comics go? Is it an ongoing title or a limited run? I had a comic once but it got waterlogged when our APC slid off a ravine during a storm. It was cool! It was about this giant smart monkeyboy and this really strong woman who hung out together and rifted places through this machine he had and stuff. They fought frog people if I remember right. It was fun. But after that storm it was wrecked so I had to ditch it. Hagbard thought it was pre-rifts, and he got real mad at me for letting it get damaged, but whatever."

Crap, this is a big deal here! Back home, my comic was in the dollar bin. He puts his hands up and gives the two of them a smile. "Zero Moon was the one to give me the heads up about the comic. I think he showed me number 23? I was gonna pay for a subscription, but then more pressing matters happened. Like our home blowing up. The artist is very flattering, he gave me even more muscles! I’m not sure who Robin R. Redd is, but they’re the one writing my stories!"

Barracuda sits with the APC while Ronith and Co. work on entering Horne’s estate. "I’ve never been good at the waiting part. I prefer the part where I get to hit things. At least its pretty here." Barracuda watches and awaits a signal for him to get involved.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Fri May 18, 2018 5:45 pm

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 3:20pm
Climate: 60F, partly cloudy
Visibility: 1 mile
Terrain: Urban
Ley Line within 1 mile
Moderate radio traffic
Magic in heavy use. Detectable everywhere.
Moderate ground and air traffic. 500+ ground and air signatures moving various directions at speeds from walking up to 200mph within 1 mile. 100+ vehicles and individuals in move in various places within 500ft


Grant explains the cards and their functionality. The Battle Magus looks at the card in amazement and irritation. He places the cards inside a satchel, within a bag, withing a coat. He seems lost for a moment trying to figure out how to best handle the cards. In frustration he waves over another of the security team to take it, writing instructions for the delivery and handling of the cards. Once the cards are gone he whispers, "I assume that location and audio goes to the Sunaj as well?" He shakes his head, still unsure of what all is going on.

Beltin seeks Bogg but seems unable to pinpoint him other than he knows he is within range. However he reaches out with telepathy to whom he believes is the Larmac. Unmistakably he touches that mind. Looking for a door he knows only by description he finds it and knocks carefully. He pushes the door open and Beltin lays out his message. Sifting in the surface thoughts of the mind, fear and exhaustion are easy noticed, but hunger is also sensed. As if the consciousness suddenly realizes there's someone else in its mind, a message comes over the connection. "You shouldn't be here. Go away! No one can enter. They are everywhere and can be anyone." The thought carries exhaustion with it.

Ronith, like a bull in a china shop, makes a running leap over the wall, landing well within the grounds at a run. He blazes a trail of magic that Grant can clearly see. Ronith's danger sense goes off and continues to do so, though the magic has no effect on him. Most of the wards closest the manor do not activate. Ignoring the magic wards, the Cyber-Knight introduces himself to whomever may be listening.

The crowd outside burst into excited chatter as Ronith leaps the wall. Ashlynn, Barracuda and Weiss are watching things closer to the APC. Ashlynn, scanning the crowd has noticed a dozen or so that seem to be looking closer than the rest. Some people are opportunists, some have a dark interest in seeing someone harmed and still others don't have a distinct reasoning she can pick out.

Grant notices one individual who seems to be invisible to most. However, their interest doesn't seem to be Ronith, but rather the APC. The invisible person is a human woman with various recording devices. She looks mundane but there is no doubt there is evil within Grant's range.

The Battle Magus is furious. "Hey! No one can go in there! Who's he anyhow? If I get called in or if he dies, It's on you! he yells at Grant. But he too turns to watch what happens.

Sir Ronith stands in front of the doors for several moments. Everyone who can still see him over the wall sees a hole suddenly open beneath him and then disappear. The cyber-knight lands on his feet in what is likely a parlor, maybe on the other side of the door as a hole in a wall next to him disappears. "You have brought Mrs. McGrath with you?" a voice questions in distress. Standing in front of him is Connor McGrath! He seems healthy if not startled by Ronith's boldness.

Image
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Sat May 19, 2018 9:44 am

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 94
JIC: 1d20 = 19, 1d100 = 36

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 74%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 84%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 100mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 700'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 H.P./S.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • H.P.: 56/56
  • S.D.C.: 23/23
  • I.S.P.: 65/78
  • P.P.E.: 529/572
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Being Near a Ley line, within two miles, increases the range and duration of spells by 50%.
  • Decipher Magic | HU2 321 | 4 P.P.E. | 16 min | Read magic symbols/runes at 94%. Can't be used to learn how to make a circle or a ward, but should be able to interpret the symbols
  • Farseeing | MA 9 | 3 P.P.E. | 5.5 min | See license plate/fact up to 2 miles away.
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 P.P.E. | 600' | 5.5min
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 P.P.E. | 135' r | 16 min | Mind Block/Alter Aura/Protection from Magic will block spell.
  • See Wards | PF2 193 | 8 P.P.E. | 180' | 37 min | See active wards, how many, general sense of power. Area of effect
    *]Telepathy | RUE 177 | 4 I.S.P. | Surface Thoughts: 60'
    Two-way Telepathic: 380' | 9 min

Grant watches the crowd as Sir Ronith makes the leap. The sound of the 'oohs and ahhs' make him glance to see what he expected, Sir Ronith a proverbial bull in the magic shop triggering wards left and right to virtual no effect. His sudden disappearance without a squishy splat of gore and blood leaving him to think he's made it successfully inside.

Law 89% vs 1d100 = 24 | Pass | What he is committing himself to by taking responsibility.

His magically enhanced senses catch the scent of evil so he turns his attention back to the people around him. The Battle Magi's outburst doesn't break Grant's calm, "I will take responibility for my teams actions if necessary, even before the Three." That's when he spots the woman looking at the APC. Who is this?

Telepathically he communicates to Ashlynn, Barracuda, and Weiss, There is a woman observing our vehicle. She is invisible, I am going to attempt to get her to come inside amicably.

Calling upon his power, Grant first distracts her by casting Stumble, causing her focus to move away from him. Then he moves close in close and casts Charm.

Interrogation 84% vs 1d100 = 78 | Pass | Setting the woman up to tell the team why she's watching them.

To the air, he says softly, "Hi, since you are so interested in our APC, how about we go inside." He waits by the door giving her time to climb in. He acts as if he's about to climb in then stops, halfway, "Why don't you cancel that invisibility spell while you are safe inside, and answer my friends' questions." Once she is visible and seated, he says, "I'll be back in a minute." He gives Ashlynn a wink, and steps out and closes the door. He steps away from the APC and sends a telepathic message to Weiss. The woman has various recording devices on her.

Spells cast
  • Stumble | MA 9 | 3 P.P.E. | 260' | Save vs Magic 14 | Instant | Loss init, 2 apm to get back on feet (1 apm for Crazy, Juice, Mystic Knight, or Combat Cyborg)
  • Charm | BOM 104 | 12 P.P.E. | 45' | Save vs Magic 14 | 10.5 min | Will believe/trust caster, want to help and tell the truth.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Sat May 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 17/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 6/1d100 = 31

Grant Latham wrote:There is a woman observing our vehicle. She is invisible, I am going to attempt to get her to come inside amicably.

"Didn't have to wait long at all. We'll be waiting for her." When Grant ushers the woman to the APC, Barracuda opens the door and lets her inside. With his hand firmly on King Tide, he facially signals Ashlynn that she should do the interrogating.

During the talking, he will redirect sound so that it goes directly to Ashlynn and Barracuda's ears, skipping over the recording devices she has with her.
I hope Ronith is doing alright in there. Ah, who am I kidding. It's Ronith. He'll handle it, whatever it is.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Sat May 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Grant cast Charm on the woman, turning him into a trusted confidant in her eyes. He approaches her and says ""Hi, since you are so interested in our APC, how about we go inside."

She gets out of sight of the APC and replies, "Don't be ridiculous. That'd definitely let the cat out of the bag. It's not the APC I'm here for any how." When Grant asks her to drop her invisibility, she double checks that the two of them can't be seen from the vehicle and releases her invisibility. Her dark blonde hair bobs at her shoulder. She's in her early 20s by her looks. She also looks like she's been up for a while. "It was a stroke of luck when I saw him near the Gates. Did you know Posey is here too? It's like a crossover! Listen if you can get him out from the APC. I dunno, maybe follow the other guy into the compound? Like if you could get him to leap over the wall too. I'll amp you up a bit. Give you some spotlights to shine in so to speak. You're one of the new guys on his crew. I remember hearing a recent meeting on some of you. Maybe I can pitch a spinoff."

((she hasn't made it to the APC yet.))
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Sun May 20, 2018 2:23 am

Perception 37% 1d100 = 82
JIC 1d100 = 9 1d20 = 1

Barracuda wrote:Barracuda sits with the APC while Ronith and Co. work on entering Horne’s estate. "I’ve never been good at the waiting part. I prefer the part where I get to hit things. At least its pretty here." Barracuda watches and awaits a signal for him to get involved.


"That's what I'm better at too Weiss drums his fingers against the console and screws up his face as he looks over the readouts, "getting a lot of confusing and contradictory readings out there. All the magic and activity must be hampering the sensors or interacting in such a way that I can't make head or tails of it."

As Ronith jumps inside the estate, Weiss gets up and goes to one of the weapon lockers. Opening it up, he unhooks his L-20 rifle. He briefly considers his Plasma Rifle, but that was too large for close quarters.

"Best to be on alert. With the Sunaj around, everyone arm up. We could end up in a fight." he tells the others

Grant Latham wrote:Telepathically he communicates to Ashlynn, Barracuda, and Weiss, There is a woman observing our vehicle. She is invisible, I am going to attempt to get her to come inside amicably.


Sunaj or one of the other group I wonder Weiss waits for Grant to bring her back to the APC or news from Sir Ronith. Give him a few minutes to establish contact.

Acknowledged Grant, let us know if you need backup. Weiss thought back
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Beltin Delhomme » Sun May 20, 2018 3:20 am

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 96/72%
JIC: 1d20 = 18| 1d100 = 21%
-----------------------------------

Current Status
  • N-F20A Medium Force Field [on] (75/75 MDC)
  • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
ISP: 219/268
SDC: 69/69
HP: 36/36
Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
Conditions (temporary):
  • Astral Transferrence. 9 hours.
  • Telepathy: Superior. 9 miles. 40.00 minutes. 85% success.


Virtus wrote:"You shouldn't be here. Go away! No one can enter. They are everywhere and can be anyone." The thought carries exhaustion with it.

Your concern is duly noted. I understand that you have been through a lot and the situation may seem hopeless. But if we leave, it is simply a matter of time before these unsavory people breach your defenses. Whether you intended to or not, your actions have brought us here. We are the cavalry. And we are here to help.

Beltin's telepathic conversation is momentarily interrupted by the spectacle of Sir Ronith's grand approach. The young mind melter watches with baited breath and ultimately breathes a sigh of relief when their elven cyberknight leader is allowed entry. He made it.

Streetwise. 73% | 1d100 = 57 <== Looking for suspicious behavior. Those who might be trying to follow Sir Ronith into the compound.
Lore: Magic. Recognize Symbols, Runes and Circles. 72% | 1d100 = 47 <== Identify what wards Sir Ronith tripped.
Lore: Magic. General. 82% | 1d100 = 91 <== Based on the tripped wards, will they self-replenish?

After, Beltin's attention focuses on the crowd and any that might try to follow the trail of tripped wards left in Ronith's wake. Realizing that his sensitivities are not fully heightened, he will activate his ability to see the invisible ((See Invisible. -4 ISP)) and keep an eye out for suspicious behavior. Without obvious activity, he will ponder the nature of the wards that were tripped, and whether such magic typically self-replenishes itself, or requires the diabolist to re-scribe the runes.

Should he spot someone making a run for it, and they are able to make it past the Magi setting the perimeter, Beltin will try to add another layer of difficulty by either using Telekinesis: Super to toss them back from whence they came. Or should that fail, drop a telekinetic force field around them to hold them in place (at least temporarily).
User avatar
Beltin Delhomme
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Sun May 20, 2018 6:17 am

(rolls carried)

Comic Book Girl wrote:She gets out of sight of the APC and replies, "Don't be ridiculous. That'd definitely let the cat out of the bag. It's not the APC I'm here for any how." When Grant asks her to drop her invisibility, she double checks that the two of them can't be seen from the vehicle and releases her invisibility. Her dark blonde hair bobs at her shoulder. She's in her early 20s by her looks. She also looks like she's been up for a while. "It was a stroke of luck when I saw him near the Gates. Did you know Posey is here too? It's like a crossover! Listen if you can get him out from the APC. I dunno, maybe follow the other guy into the compound? Like if you could get him to leap over the wall too. I'll amp you up a bit. Give you some spotlights to shine in so to speak. You're one of the new guys on his crew. I remember hearing a recent meeting on some of you. Maybe I can pitch a spinoff."


Grant misses the beat as he connects events for him that are years across. The discover of the first comic back in HousTown and the promotion on the bottles of Nexa Cola. He does a slow blink of the eyes. If this is a diversion, it's an elaborate one but if she is what she says, then she is potentially in grave danger.

"I don't think I've met Posey, but look, don't you want to get to know some of the details directly from the source of the Bodacious Barracuda? Bring some real depth to the character, be able to figure out what he was thinking as he does his daring-do," Grant begins to look past her back to the other people as he continues to shuffle her towards the door.

Grant directs his mind towards Barracuda, a bit of laughter in his mental tone, Oh Bodacious one, she maybe be an innocent, I think she is involved with those comics of your exploits. Come get her.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Mon May 21, 2018 5:16 am

Perception: 52% 1d100 = 35 (SUCCESS)

JIC: 1d20 = 8
1d100 = 4

Ashlynn can't suppress a grin and a laugh as Ronith vaults the wall and jets up to the house. "Ha!" At the excited chatter from the crowd, however, she turns and scans the observers, looking for any out-of-place reactions. "I was gonna do that but I didn't wanna get yelled at." I reeeaally like Sir Ronith... I think I'm gonna like working for him.

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 6 (SUCCESS)
Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 41 (SUCCESS)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 92 (FAIL)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 19 (SUCCESS)
Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 86 (FAIL)
Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 93 (FAIL)

Grant wrote:There is a woman observing our vehicle. She is invisible, I am going to attempt to get her to come inside amicably.


Invisible? Ashlynn pops her head up in the turret topside, and activates her radar, looking for a woman-shaped reflection where no woman appears. If she spots Grant, she scans the area around him intently. "We'll see if I can see her..."

Interpret Shapes 80% 1d100 = 33 (SUCCESS)

Should she spot the invisible woman's radar reflection, she will attempt to gauge her using her posture and body language.

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 91 (FAIL)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 85 (FAIL)
Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 65 (FAIL)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/40
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 0/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Mon May 21, 2018 7:19 am

JIC: 1d20 = 13, 1d100 = 38
PER: 1d100 = 79 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

-Before the jump-
Grant Latham wrote:"If you wish, I will go with you."
Ronith shakes his head. "Thank you, but know. Bearing this risk is my responsibility. I have my own protections against magic, and if you are correct about the walkways they may be a non-issue."

-After the jump-
Well. That could have gone much worse. Despite his sixth sense, Ronith remains calm as he navigates the compound's magical defenses. When he is teleported inside, Ronith stays calm and keeps his movements slow and deliberate. He sets his helmet on any nearby table (or other appropriate surface), and keeps his hands open and clearly visible in front of him.

Virtus wrote:"You have brought Mrs. McGrath with you?"

"Professor McGrath. You have led us on quite a chase. Yes, your wife is with us- in our APC parked just outside the gates of our compound. For her sake, not to mention that of the rest of my team, I would like to bring them in. Anything you or your host can do to smooth things over with the local authorities would be appreciated. Then perhaps you can explain to me why these Sunaj are after you so aggressively."

If it becomes clear that the APC won't be entering the grounds anytime soon, for whatever reason, then Ronith will reply "Very well. May I contact my team over our radio frequency? It is encrypted, and should not be too susceptible to eavesdroppers, but I would like to let them know that I am alright." If he receives an affirmative response, Ronith will tap his earbud. "Heroes for Hire, this is Ronith. I am fine and within the mansion. Maintain position for now; I shall return as soon as I am able. Ronith out."
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 20/66; PPE- 47/57; EBA destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Mon May 28, 2018 6:46 am

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 3:22pm
Climate: 60F, partly cloudy
Visibility: 1 mile
Terrain: Urban
Ley Line within 1 mile
Moderate radio traffic
Magic in heavy use. Detectable everywhere.
Moderate ground and air traffic. 500+ ground and air signatures moving various directions at speeds from walking up to 200mph within 1 mile. 100+ vehicles and individuals in move in various places within 500ft


Connor seems to mull the idea of bringing in the rest of Heroes for Hire along with Elizabeth. "I don't think it would be wise to bring that vehicle in here. You are free to contact them, please do not mention anything you see inside of here."

After Ronith radios the team, he continues. "While I'm not opposed to bringing them inside here, I don't want to open the gate. There are forces at work that are deceptive beyond measure. We could potentially open another portal to their location so they could make it here."

Grant alerts Barracuda to the woman's presence. She is staying put but keeping an eye at the situation around so as not to miss any of it.

Weiss continues to be frustrated. The advantage of these transceivers is they use the most common of frequencies bands and behave as a normal radio in every way. They only thing odd about them is their intentionally deceptive appearance and of course those who employ them.

Ashlynn spots the woman via radar for just a moment before she ducks behind the wall with Grant. Ashlynn does notice two individuals in different spots in the crowd who leave after Ronith's bold run on the manor. They leave slowly, melding through the crowd until making their way out. One exits the other side of the crowd. One closer (about 300ft away) turns down an alley and disappears from view.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Mon May 28, 2018 12:09 pm

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 80
JIC: 1d20 = 8, 1d100 = 96

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 74%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 84%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 100mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 700'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 H.P./S.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • H.P.: 56/56
  • S.D.C.: 23/23
  • I.S.P.: 65/78
  • P.P.E.: 514/572
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Being Near a Ley line, within two miles, increases the range and duration of spells by 50%.
  • Decipher Magic | HU2 321 | 4 P.P.E. | 14 min | Read magic symbols/runes at 94%. Can't be used to learn how to make a circle or a ward, but should be able to interpret the symbols
  • Farseeing | MA 9 | 3 P.P.E. | 3.5 min | See license plate/fact up to 2 miles away.
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 P.P.E. | 600' | 3.5min
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 P.P.E. | 135' r | 14 min | Mind Block/Alter Aura/Protection from Magic will block spell.
  • See Wards | PF2 193 | 8 P.P.E. | 180' | 35 min | See active wards, how many, general sense of power. Area of effect
  • Telepathy | RUE 177 | 4 I.S.P. | Surface Thoughts: 60'
    Two-way Telepathic: 380' | 7 min
  • Charm | BOM 104 | 12 P.P.E. | 45' | Save vs Magic 14 | 8.5 min | Will believe/trust caster, want to help and tell the truth.


Grant is a little frustrated with the woman. Her desire for the 'story' is much stronger than her desire for safety. The limits of the Charm spell won't override strong desires. Perhaps, a more total type of mind control magic is needed, not that I know it. A look of distaste crosses Grant's features. But the thought of totally overriding another's will is a slippery slope. It becomes way to easy to get what you want that way.

Streetwise 88% vs 1d100 = 83 | Watch the street
Intelligence 67% vs 1d100 = 24 | Watch the street
Interrogation 84% vs 1d100 = 27 | Learn more about the connection between these comics and Barracuda and 'Posey'
Research 79% vs 1d100 = 33 | Learn more about the connection between these comics and Barracuda and 'Posey'

He looks at the woman and says, "Perhaps you can tell me more about Posey while we wait to see what happens? And how did your publisher first learn about the Bodacious Barracuda?" Grant listens to her as he keeps his eyes focused on those around them.

If we don't hear from Sir Ronith soon, I'll cast Second Sight to see that he's okay, Grant thinks.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Mon May 28, 2018 2:06 pm

Perception 35% 1d100 = 13
JIC 1d100 = 34 1d20 = 18

Ronith wrote:"Heroes for Hire, this is Ronith. I am fine and within the mansion. Maintain position for now; I shall return as soon as I am able. Ronith out."


"Understood," Weiss replies over the radio for the team still in the APC, before he turns to face the others.

"Well, he's in, lets see who reacts and what that reaction is." he says to them, rubbing his beard, still frustrated at being stuck in the APC

And hopefully we'll be able do something soon. I really hope this isn't a recurring them he thought to himself

He reaches into his gear and pulls out a technical manual for standard components in Northern Gun robots; a real page turner, but a lot of standardised components.

"Beltin, looks like we're both being bookwyrms from now on," he points out to the young psychic, "never too old to learn new tricks. What are you reading up on?" However, instead of actually reading, he pretends to do so for any observers outside, whilst keeping a subtle eye out, hoping to lull them into a false sense of security.

OOC Comments
prowl 35% 1d100 = 58
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Next

Return to Heroes for Hire Adventure Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest