Beyond Broken Door

The continuing adventures of an arrogant elf, and the masochists who join him on his fools errands.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Mon May 28, 2018 2:36 pm

Grant questions the journalist about her employer. She thinks for a moment. "You know, I'm not sure. But he has an open offer for people bringing real stories back about certain people. Barracuda is one of them. He has a thing for what he calls super heroes. Magic, psionics and the like are old news. People like Barracuda are something special. Mr. Redd says they are from another dimension where they represent a higher aspiration. "Something the world needs."" she says using air quotes and mimicking a man's voice.

"As far as Posey goes, she's supposedly from the same place Barracuda is from. She's apparently very hard to kill. And by hard to kill, if the stories are true she's even been disemboweled before but comes back for more. She does have somewhat of a penchant for overkill though. She leads a merc company called the Immortals out of Kingsdale."

"There's about twenty or so of us that make a living off of recording what people like Barracuda and Posey get up to. The tough part is verification. Getting a good video camera or a couple cameras is essential. Just be careful about the blast radius some of these guys have is significant. It's easy to get yourself dead. If you don't get some decent video, it can take a long time to get your check or may not even get it at all. They eat it up in New Lazlo though. It pays the bills and then some." she finishes.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Tue May 29, 2018 5:24 am

Perception: 60% (wide open spaces) 1d100 = 3 (Crit success)

JIC: 1d20 = 7
1d100 = 70

Seeing the two furtive figures in the crowd seemingly melt away as Ronith jumps the wall triggers Ashlynn's suspicion, and she gets on the radio immediately to warn the others. Frak.

"Heads up. I just saw two possible observers - they slipped into the crowd as Ronith leaped the wall. One went down the alley. Pursue?"

If given permission to pursue, Ashlynn bolts out of the vehicle and into the alley at speed, looking for the individual. She'll use her radar to warn her of any threats as she pursues, ready to dodge any attacks. If the alley walls are narrow (20' or less from wall to wall), she will use hyper-ricochet bouncing to quickly close the distance (speed is 153). Otherwise, she will use her standard mode of bounce travel (speed is 102).

Don't forget the rules of engagement, Ash... Ashlynn remembers her frequent chidings from Pangur Ban, and keeps her weapons holstered until there is an immediate threat. She does not engage in combat unless attacked.

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 91 (spot target - FAIL)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 31 (spot target - SUCCESS)
Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 20 (spot target - SUCCESS)

Initiative 1d20+4 = 6
APM: 8

Action 1: Run into alleyway, dodging 1d20+7 = 24
Action 2: Spot target if possible. If there is a threat, she summons her energy shield
Action 3: If there is a threat, she calls for help, "I've got Sunaj!" Otherwise, she will continue pursuit.
Action 4: Draw Laser Sword if necessary, or continue pursuit.
Action 5: Defend self if necessary, or continue pursuit. Strike 1d20+7 = 15; Damage 5d6+2 = 18
Action 6: Defend self if necessary, or continue pursuit. Strike 1d20+7 = 8; Damage 5d6+2 = 18
Action 7: Defend self if necessary, or continue pursuit. Strike 1d20+7 = 22; Damage 5d6+2 = 21
Action 8: Defend self if necessary, or continue pursuit. Strike 1d20+7 = 21; Damage 5d6+2 = 17

Parry (if necessary): 1) 1d20+7 = 8 (Nat. 1!); 2) 1d20+11 = 12 (Nat. 1!); 3) 1d20+11 = 28; 4) 1d20+11 = 20; 5) 1d20+11 = 13; 6) 1d20+11 = 23; 7) 1d20+11 = 27; 8 ) 1d20+11 = 20
Auto-dodge (if necessary): 1) 1d20+3 = 11; 2) 1d20+3 = 14; 3) 1d20+3 = 14; 4) 1d20+3 = 4 (Nat. 1!); 5) 1d20+3 = 7; 6) 1d20+3 = 22; 7) 1d20+3 = 16; 8 ) 1d20+3 = 5


If told to stay put, Ashlynn keeps her eyes on the crowd, looking for any threat. Bombs, Ash. They like to use bombs. Look for someone with a suspicious bundle.

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 33 (SUCCESS)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 29 (SUCCESS)
Streetwise 50% 1d100 = 85 (FAIL)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/31
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 18/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Tue May 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 39/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 15/1d100 = 6

Grant Latham wrote:Grant directs his mind towards Barracuda, a bit of laughter in his mental tone, Oh Bodacious one, she maybe be an innocent, I think she is involved with those comics of your exploits. Come get her.

The look on Barracuda's face turns from intimidating tough guy to confused. He looks back and forth inside the APC but doesn't have anything to say. Exiting the vehicle, he looks around for Grant and the new friend. Standing tall like his birth mother taught him, he introduces himself with a firm, confident handshake. "I'm Barracuda. I hear you're looking for me regarding my comic book?" Oh man, this is so weird. Is she Robin Redd? Barracuda takes a look at the gathered crowd to see if there is anything he should be paying attention to, but other than that his attention is with the new comic woman.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Beltin Delhomme » Wed May 30, 2018 2:50 am

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 86/72%
JIC: 1d20 = 4| 1d100 = 26%
-----------------------------------

Current Status
  • N-F20A Medium Force Field [on] (75/75 MDC)
  • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
ISP: 219/268
SDC: 69/69
HP: 36/36
Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
Conditions (temporary):
  • Astral Transferrence. 9 hours.
  • Telepathy: Superior. 9 miles. 38.00 minutes. 85% success.


When Beltin's scrutiny of the tripped magical wards bears no fruit, the ghostly form of the young mind melter positioned at an observation point of the mansion, turns his attention to potential suspicious activity in the crowd.

Streetwise. 73% | 1d100 = 29 <== Continue looking for suspicious behavior.
Streetwise. 73% | 1d100 = 8 <== Determine best points of egress if someone is trying to slip out of the area unnoticed.

One of the unfortunate side-effects of being disembodied... missing any radio chatter on the team frequency. I hope Sir Ronith made it safely into the mansion. I wonder if anyone else has spotted anyone suspicious. I think our new recruit Ashlynn seems to have an especially keen sense of such things. She can certainly rely on her gut to ascertain the nature of a person.

After a few moments of continued non-activity, he moves back to the proximity of the squad, his ephemeral form briefly popping back into the APC.

Weiss wrote:"Beltin, looks like we're both being bookwyrms from now on," he points out to the young psychic, "never too old to learn new tricks. What are you reading up on?" However, instead of actually reading, he pretends to do so for any observers outside, whilst keeping a subtle eye out, hoping to lull them into a false sense of security.


You would be surprised, Beltin's voice speaks to Weiss' mind, at just how much of our professional career can be spent waiting on something. Sometimes it feels like we live at the juncture of two extremes... potentially mind-numbing patience and frenetic life or death combat.

After a brief pause, seemingly to right himself on the conversation, Beltin more directly addresses Weiss' curiosity, But I digress. You are quite astute, I have brought along with me a rather sizable collection of odd-topic books. Given my heavy reliance of my psionic intuition, I have come to learn the lesson the Loremaster tried to teach me in my youth. Strength without direction can be worse than weakness. As such, I have identified many gaps in my knowledge base and am seeking to try to fill them a bit. Seeking to become a bit of a private investigator of sorts. He will mentally gesture at the stack of books that obviously contains a diverse array of bizarre topics.

  • How to become a gumshoe in 30 days
  • Surveillance 101
  • Inventor's Guide to Electronics
  • Computers and You.
  • Campbell's Biology (15th edition)
  • Introduction to Chemistry
  • Analytical Chemistry
  • Physical BIochemistry
  • Multivariable Calculus
  • Forensic Sciences
  • Practical Spectroscopy: Advanced Techniques in Raman, X-ray, Photo-luminescence and UV/Vis
  • Fundamentals of Mechanics

How about yourself? What are you reading? Beltin asks with polite curiosity. He is not exactly clear if Weiss is actually reading or simply using it as a cover while on a stakeout.

During this discussion, Beltin will try to keep an eye out for happenings outside the APC. Should he spot Ashlynn, or if Weiss responds to her radio communication (which Beltin may or may not be privy to depending on the volume settings of the nearest comm), the young mind melter will notify Weiss of his intention to go assist before his ephemeral form will pass through the APC and move with haste (upwards to Mach 1) to catch up with Ashlynn and/or assist with the capture of her target.
Beltin Delhomme - H4H's psychic Swiss-army knife | Explorer Points

Status
    -N-F20A Medium Force Field [off] (75/75 MDC)
    -NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
    ISP: 258/258
    SDC: 69/69
    HP: 36/36

Constant effects
Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)

Image
User avatar
Beltin Delhomme
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Wed May 30, 2018 10:39 am

JIC: 1d20 = 15, 1d100 = 60
PER: 1d100 = 57 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

Virtus wrote:"I don't think it would be wise to bring that vehicle in here. You are free to contact them, please do not mention anything you see inside of here...While I'm not opposed to bringing them inside here, I don't want to open the gate. There are forces at work that are deceptive beyond measure. We could potentially open another portal to their location so they could make it here."

Ronith nods, then pauses in thought for a moment. "Why do you think it unwise to bring our APC into the compound? If your portals cannot accommodate it, then that is one thing. But the reality is we are rather conspicuous driving it around the streets of Dweomer. We have no intention of imposing upon your or your host's hospitality, but this compound seems as well-defended as any. The APC would be safe here, while still giving us freedom and flexibility of movement across the city, and you may find its extra firepower useful if the Sunaj attempt another strike here."

Out of habit Ronith reaches out telepathically for Beltin ((-4 ISP)), before realizing that the mind melter is still in astral form and could well be outside his range. He decides to contact Grant instead.

If Connor agrees with Ronith's plan and is willing to teleport the APC inside the walls, Ronith sends:

I have negotiated a 'parking space' for the APC within the compound. It is clear we cannot take it around Dweomer without drawing undue attention, and this may well be the safest place for us to make a temporary headquarters within the city. Do what you can to leave the crowd behind and find a nearby area safe from prying eyes, then send me your location and we shall arrange a portal. Have the others do a thorough sweep of the APC for any additional bugs before you arrive.

If Connor disagrees, Ronith has no intention of pursuing the argument further. If Connor offers up any reason at all why they can't park the APC inside, he will let the issue go. In that event, he will send:

Find somewhere safe to park and secure the APC. Our host is unwilling to allow it inside and I shall not press the issue. Once the APC is locked down, send me your location and I shall arrange for the team to be teleported inside.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 56/66; PPE- 57/57
Talismans: AoI (2/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Wed May 30, 2018 11:19 am

Connor considers Ronith carefully. "I trust you, but it's too easy to introduce unknown elements in that large of a vehicle. I don't know any of your team. Even if they are trustworthy, it's possible they are unwitting pawns. I'm sure you have heard of the Trojan Horse. Your arrival was unannounced so I hope you can understand my stance."
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Wed May 30, 2018 11:24 am

Virtus wrote:"I trust you, but it's too easy to introduce unknown elements in that large of a vehicle. I don't know any of your team. Even if they are trustworthy, it's possible they are unwitting pawns. I'm sure you have heard of the Trojan Horse. Your arrival was unannounced so I hope you can understand my stance."

Ronith shrugs. "I shall not insist. But I trust my team, and we have learned how to avoid the Sunaj's tricks. The hard way, unfortunately. I can vouch for the APC being clean, but if that is your final word on the subject so be it."
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 56/66; PPE- 57/57
Talismans: AoI (2/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Wed May 30, 2018 11:48 am

(rolls carried)

Listening to the journalist, Grant nods and 'ah-hahs' appropriately as he learns about Posey. He sends back telepathically to Barracuda, Posey is apparently a being with abilities that are neither psychic or magical like your own; this reporter, Grant can't really call her a journalist, called them super abilities. Posey is not exactly immortal, but can withstand tremendous damage and recover quickly. Does she sound familiar? Apparently between the two of you there are 20 people looking to chronicle your exploits.


Grant has to cover up a sigh of relief when he feels the mental contact from Sir Ronith as he stands next to the woman trying to get video of Barracuda..

Sir Ronith wrote:Find somewhere safe to park and secure the APC. Our host is unwilling to allow it inside and I shall not press the issue. Once the APC is locked down, send me your location and I shall arrange for the team to be teleported inside.


I am glad to know you made it in successfully, Sir Ronith. It may be best to leave the APC at the front gates, it's too large to hide for long, and if it's in a secluded spot, the Dweomer Defense forces won't be around to guard it for us for 'free.' My recommendation is that we all go into the APC and teleport from there if they are able to do so accurately, otherwise, I could move us from the APC to a secluded spot using a mystic portal and then have our host teleport us from there, Grant says telepathically.

Grant turns back to the woman, "Well, I'll leave you too it then. A word of caution, which you appear to know a bit about already. There are forces in play around us that won't hesitate to kill you or manipulate you if given the chance. I'd recommend discretion over valor."

With that he walks back over to the APC, and let's the team know that Sir Ronith is alright inside the mansion and what will be happening next. To Weiss and Beltin, "If this vehicle has some sort of security system, it would be best to have it activated, and probably sweep the vehicle for explosives and tracking devices when we return."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Wed May 30, 2018 12:57 pm

Grant Latham wrote:I am glad to know you made it in successfully, Sir Ronith. It may be best to leave the APC at the front gates, it's too large to hide for long, and if it's in a secluded spot, the Dweomer Defense forces won't be around to guard it for us for 'free.' My recommendation is that we all go into the APC and teleport from there if they are able to do so accurately, otherwise, I could move us from the APC to a secluded spot using a mystic portal and then have our host teleport us from there,
A sound plan- if local law enforcement will be on-scene for a while then parking the APC nearby would be nearly as good as moving it within the compound. Since you seem to have established a good rapport with them, kindly coordinate a plan with your contact. When you are ready I believe our allies can move the team in. If Beltin has yet to return to his body you may want to let him know about the new plan."
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 56/66; PPE- 57/57
Talismans: AoI (2/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Wed May 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Barracuda, Grant

Barracuda's arrival startles the comic woman. She runs a hand over her face. "Well, this is a bit awkward." she greets him extending a hand. "Linda Best, freelance writer and journalist. To be honest, I can't say I'm actually looking for you, but I am observing your current exploit as I had the good fortune of spotting you. Not to be discomforting, but your doings are worth money to Redd Publishing and therefore to me." Her accent pegs her as being from New Lazlo.

Upon Ronith's request, if Grant asks the Battle Magus about keeping the APC nearby, he nods. "That's fine for now. Maybe it will keep some of this crowd back."

Beltin, Ashlynn and Weiss

Whyne seems to be rather bored. "Care to share some reading material?" she asks Beltin. "This is the worst part of this type of work. Waiting."

Elizabeth seems to be uneasy. "What's going on out there? Has he made it in? Is Connor there? Have you seen the Sunaj yet?"

Ronith

Connor says "I can bring them inside as I did you, but I don't want the Magus' knowing what's going on just yet. Gather your team away from the crowd. When they're ready I will open up a gate. Traveling to a nearby door, he cracks it and says "Alright, I'm bringing them in." From the door come two men. Both appear to be in their 70s if not older. One is wearing a fine suits, short hair and glasses. Like Ronith he wears many rings. The other looks the part of cooky old wizard, stringy white hair, loose robes, floppy hat and all. "In case something goes wrong." Connor says with clarity. Though he had the reputation of being an absent-minded professor, you don't see any of that here. Assuming Ronith gathers the team to a certain location, Connor opens a portal under them, dumping them from a nearby wall into the middle of the room.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Thu May 31, 2018 9:08 am

JIC: 1d20 = 20, 1d100 = 23
PER: 1d100 = 1 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

Upon reaching an agreement with Connor, Ronith nods and relays the details to Grant. Find somewhere suitable to park, then gather inside the APC away from all prying eyes. Our host does not want either the public or the magi to know that you will be teleporting inside. Bring Elizabeth and any belongings she wants as well- I expect that we'll be leaving her here for the foreseeable future. Ronith will relay the details of the team's location to Connor and, if he can sense or see Beltin's astral form, telepathically send a brief summary of the new plan.

Once the others are unceremoniously teleported inside, Ronith tsks softly at the abrupt nature of the transit. He will help Elizabeth up first, then the others as needed before turning to Connor.

"Well, Professor McGrath. We are all here. You must have stumbled upon quite something to draw the ire of such a skilled team of assassins. I look forward to hearing what it is." If there are enough seats for everyone, Ronith will take one and look forward to finally getting some answers.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 56/66; PPE- 57/57
Talismans: AoI (2/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Beltin Delhomme » Thu May 31, 2018 12:11 pm

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 100/72%
JIC: 1d20 = 12| 1d100 = 52%
-----------------------------------

Current Status
  • N-F20A Medium Force Field [on] (75/75 MDC)
  • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
ISP: 219/268
SDC: 69/69
HP: 36/36
Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
Conditions (temporary):
  • Astral Transferrence. 9 hours.
  • Telepathy: Superior. 9 miles. 38.00 minutes. 85% success.


As Ashlynn does not seem to be taking immediate action in pursuit of anyone, Beltin begins to rethink his current incorporeal state. Sir Ronith is already safely in the mansion. There does not appear to be any other imminent danger. Just the feeling that the Sunaj are probably still watching our moves and may make another play at breaching the complex. I likely don't need to maintain my astral form anymore.

Heading to the cargo space of the APC, Beltin re-incorporates and returns to where the others are gathered. If upon reincorporation, Beltin hears the familiar voice of Sir Ronith in his head, the mind melter will confirm receipt of the plan and that he will do what he can to put it in action.

Whynne wrote:Whyne seems to be rather bored. "Care to share some reading material?" she asks Beltin. "This is the worst part of this type of work. Waiting."

"You are welcome to any of the textbooks I picked up," Beltin replies, gesturing to his stack. "But I'm guessing you are already quite familiar with the contents of the knowledge found within. I'm afraid I don't have much in the line of reading for entertainment currently."

Grant Latham wrote:"If this vehicle has some sort of security system, it would be best to have it activated, and probably sweep the vehicle for explosives and tracking devices when we return."

Nodding with Grant, Beltin agrees that they should secure the APC as best they can and definitely sweep the vehicle before re-entry. Should Weiss not have sufficient familiarity with the APC, Beltin will try to access the knowledge via telemechanics ((Telemechanics. -10 ISP. 88% | 1d100 = 2))

Hopefully with the knowledge in place, the APC can be locked down before the teleportation. Beltin will do what he can to facilitate the transport.
Beltin Delhomme - H4H's psychic Swiss-army knife | Explorer Points

Status
    -N-F20A Medium Force Field [off] (75/75 MDC)
    -NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
    ISP: 258/258
    SDC: 69/69
    HP: 36/36

Constant effects
Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)

Image
User avatar
Beltin Delhomme
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:06 am

Perception: 55% (indoors) / 60% (wide open spaces) 1d100 = 82 (FAIL)

JIC: 1d20 = 7
1d100 = 83

Elizabeth wrote:"What's going on out there? Has he made it in? Is Connor there? Have you seen the Sunaj yet?"


Ashlynn moves over to sit next to her. "Ronith is inside. He radioed and said he was fine. We'll hear something soon." I better not tell her about the maybe-Sunaj I spotted outside... don't want her to worry.

Ronith wrote:"Find somewhere safe to park and secure the APC. Our host is unwilling to allow it inside and I shall not press the issue. Once the APC is locked down, send me your location and I shall arrange for the team to be teleported inside."


She smiles at Elizabeth as she receives Ronith's message. "See? Everything's good. We're going inside."

When the group prepares to teleport inside, Ashlynn will help Elizabeth gather her things.

Upon arrival inside, Ashlynn will drop Elizabeth's things in an out-of-the-way corner, before giving the occupants a big smile. When conversation slows, she introduces herself. "Hi! I'm Ashlynn! What's your name?" She scrutinizes the three men... as is her wont.

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 88 (Connor - FAIL)

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 19 (Suit - SUCCEED)

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 100 (Gandalf - FAIL)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/31
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 18/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:18 am

Perception 35% 1d100 = 35
JIC 1d100 = 82 1d20 = 20

Beltin Delhomme wrote:You would be surprised, Beltin's voice speaks to Weiss' mind, at just how much of our professional career can be spent waiting on something. Sometimes it feels like we live at the juncture of two extremes... potentially mind-numbing patience and frenetic life or death combat.

After a brief pause, seemingly to right himself on the conversation, Beltin more directly addresses Weiss' curiosity, But I digress. You are quite astute, I have brought along with me a rather sizable collection of odd-topic books. Given my heavy reliance of my psionic intuition, I have come to learn the lesson the Loremaster tried to teach me in my youth. Strength without direction can be worse than weakness. As such, I have identified many gaps in my knowledge base and am seeking to try to fill them a bit. Seeking to become a bit of a private investigator of sorts. He will mentally gesture at the stack of books that obviously contains a diverse array of bizarre topics.

How to become a gumshoe in 30 days
Surveillance 101
Inventor's Guide to Electronics
Computers and You.
Campbell's Biology (15th edition)
Introduction to Chemistry
Analytical Chemistry
Physical BIochemistry
Multivariable Calculus
Forensic Sciences
Practical Spectroscopy: Advanced Techniques in Raman, X-ray, Photo-luminescence and UV/Vis
Fundamentals of Mechanics

How about yourself? What are you reading? Beltin asks with polite curiosity. He is not exactly clear if Weiss is actually reading or simply using it as a cover while on a stakeout.


"Oh, I'm well aware of that, just being back in action after all these years spent on a farm, I'm still getting used to the change of pace."

Weiss looks over the pile of books, glancing down the spines, noting all the very different titles. Quite the jack of all trades Beltin was training himself to be.

"Definitely an eclectic selection there," Weiss raises an eyebrow, " A private investigator eh? Inspired by all this craziness?

He holds up the book he has, a technical manual entitled 'Standard Components in Northern Gun robots';
"Got a few more of these and on mechanical and electrical engineering. Robots have always been my thing, but now need to

Virtus wrote:Whyne seems to be rather bored. "Care to share some reading material?" she asks Beltin. "This is the worst part of this type of work. Waiting."

Elizabeth seems to be uneasy. "What's going on out there? Has he made it in? Is Connor there? Have you seen the Sunaj yet?"


"Well, I can offer you some technical manuals. Depending on your opinion of robot mechanics and electronics, it might be interesting," Weiss gives her a wink, "or a cure for your insomnia."

He turns to face Elizabeth, his face trying to stay neutral.

"Sir Ronith has not provided any information on the residents of the mansion." Weiss looks out of the view port in front of the driver's seat, "it's possible or probable considering the defenses up around the mansion that they or somebody else with interest in is around. However, with the Dweomer guard here, I sincerely doubt they'll try anything blatant. They look to be more magically dangerous than the Merctown Defenders." He gives her a little smile to reassure her and himself too.

Ronith wrote:Upon reaching an agreement with Connor, Ronith nods and relays the details to Grant. Find somewhere suitable to park, then gather inside the APC away from all prying eyes. Our host does not want either the public or the magi to know that you will be teleporting inside. Bring Elizabeth and any belongings she wants as well- I expect that we'll be leaving her here for the foreseeable future. Ronith will relay the details of the team's location to Connor and, if he can sense or see Beltin's astral form, telepathically send a brief summary of the new plan.


"Understood Sir Ronith." Weiss acknowledges their commander "As presuming we are all going in, you may wish to warn them exactly who will be arriving, including certain consultants."

He turns his chair to face the rest of the people assembled in the APC, fingers drumming the sides of the chair, before he gets up.

"Everyone gather anything you can't live without. Looks like we're going in."

If they have the place locked down and they won't allow us to take the APC in, then we need to leave it as secure as possible

Weiss takes a moment to lock down the APC, setting up the bomb detector function before they go, his hands running over the control panel to get things ready.
"Best to make sure they can't try to blow us up." If needed, he accepts Beltin's help setting up sensors and locking the APC down.

OOC Comments
Read Sensory Equipment 69% 1d100 = 48


He collects his new gear from the cargo bay and arms himself. "Not quite the armour I was expecting," he muses, putting it on and skimming the schematic details as he does so. Lets see if it does what it says on the tin. If nothing else, it is more protective than the roadrunner armour.

He puts it on quickly, replacing the his roadrunner armour and storing it in one of the overhead compartments, before strapping his plasma rifle on his back.

"Quite a few harnesses as well," he tells the others, as he walks back into the main compartment, "people who need them gather them up and get suited and booted."

Virtus wrote:Assuming Ronith gathers the team to a certain location, Connor opens a portal under them, dumping them from a nearby wall into the middle of the room.


Weiss flips to his feet, weapon ready. When he sees Sir Ronith, he relaxes and moves to one side, taking Whyne with him. That has to be Connor; Last thing anybody needs is for him to see Whyne before he sees Elizabeth.

OOC Comments
Back Flip 88% 1d100 = 46
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 4:01pm
Climate: 60F, partly cloudy
Visibility: 1 mile
Terrain: Interior of Horne's Manor
Ley Line within 1 mile
Moderate radio traffic
Magic in heavy use. Detectable everywhere.
Moderate ground and air traffic. 500+ ground and air signatures moving various directions at speeds from walking up to 200mph within 1 mile. 100+ vehicles and individuals in move in various places within 500ft


Barracuda concludes his business with Linda Best ((feel free to keep posting in regards to that, and I'll reply. It will just be split scenes)) Ronith makes the call to gather up. Ashlynn and Beltin restrain themselves from pursuit as Ronith informs them that a transition to the manor has been arranged. Once the APC has been parked and locked down, the Suit asks via Ronith to have everyone group up. Once they do Ronith sees him cast a spell that corresponds to a portal now visible on the room's wall. The people in the APC see the portal below them. For a brief moment they see a room beneath before falling down into the room.

The team lands mostly on their feet though Elizabeth stumbles. It takes a moment for her to orient herself. Once she does she seems frozen standing in front of Connor. He smiles at her but Ashlynn can tell he's uncomfortable as can Beltin. Whyne seems apprehensive. Elizabeth weeps into her hands unable to approach him. He looks at her somewhat awkwardly but approaches her in comfort. "I'm sorry." he says in an odd fashion. "Come, why don't we all move to the great room. It's a little more secure." Assuming everyone goes along, it is clear that Horne is well situated. Tapestries, painting, sculptures and other relics decorate the manor. Their worth as a collection is sizeable. Among the items however are many photos. In many of them is a tall man with long dark hair. As they walk along Ronith spots a photo of this man that kindles something in his mind. A brief but close look shows the man wearing Celestial lapel pins. He then realizes one of the other people in the photo was the woman known as Lady Sunshine, wife of Zero Moon.

They all arrive at the great room. "Please, make yourselves at home. Elizabeth, please come with me. Excuse us won't you?" Connor leaves the room with Elizabeth. In their absence, the Suit introduces himself. "Please to meet you all. I am Henry Brittain. My white haired colleague is Lute Pigeon." Henry says before his friend interjects in a light aged voice and a smile, "Call me Lup, everyone does."

When Connor returns a few minutes later, he informs everyone that "Elizabeth is resting. This is all a lot for her. It's good to meet you all." he says greeting everyone in turn. Even Whyne he greets in friendly manner almost as if he doesn't know her at all.

Grant sees many wards within the manor. The largest difference is they are activated on command rather than auto activation. This manor is armed to the teeth. Grant can also see two invisible golems at either end of the great room.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:39 am

Perception: 55% 1d100 = 83

JIC: 1d20 = 7
1d100 = 28

When Ashlynn sees Elizabeth weeping, a rush of feelings overtakes her. Her husband is alive - but at the same time, he put her through all this. Never tried to get a message to her? Poor Elizabeth... if she hadn't come to us, she'd still not know he was still drawing air. Ashlynn knows what it's liek to be missing family, and can't resist casting a glance at Weiss, whose situation mirrors Elizabeth's. His wife is missing too, and he's trying to find her... Hope I can help. She frowns, wondering what, exactly, was the extent of her help for Elizabeth thus far.

I guess I put together the clue about Alari Whyne, if nothing else. Though Grant or Beltin would've done it too if I hadn't.

Henry wrote:"Please to meet you all. I am Henry Brittain. My white haired colleague is Lute Pigeon."


Lup wrote:"Call me Lup, everyone does."


Ashlynn nods to each, a small civil smile on her lips, her mind preoccupied with Elizabeth's situation.

Connor McGrath wrote:"Elizabeth is resting. This is all a lot for her. It's good to meet you all."


Ashlynn frowns at him. "We thought you were dead." Instantly, she bites her tongue, realizing she was speaking out of turn, and turns away from him. Keep it professional, Ash. Let Ronith deal with McGrath and the situation at hand, and we'll deal with the fallout later.

When she turns back to McGrath, she thinks, He has family and he left her behind. He better have a damn good excuse... She feels a swell of anger toward the man, and does her best to tamp it down.

Instead, she walks over and stands, uncharacteristically silently, by Weiss.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/31
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 18/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:50 am

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 55
JIC: 1d20 = 9, 1d100 = 64

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 74%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 84%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 100mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 700'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 H.P./S.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • H.P.: 56/56
  • S.D.C.: 23/23
  • I.S.P.: 65/78
  • P.P.E.: 514/572
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Being Near a Ley line, within two miles, increases the range and duration of spells by 50%.
  • Decipher Magic | HU2 321 | 4 P.P.E. | 24 min | Read magic symbols/runes at 94%. Can't be used to learn how to make a circle or a ward, but should be able to interpret the symbols
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 P.P.E. | 600' | 12 min
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 P.P.E. | 135' r | 24 min | Mind Block/Alter Aura/Protection from Magic will block spell.
  • See Wards | PF2 193 | 8 P.P.E. | 180' | 48 min | See active wards, how many, general sense of power. Area of effect


As they organize for departure, Grant mentally ticks away the minutes, when they finally get everything organized, the mage recasts Decipher Magic, See the Invisible, Sense Evil, and See Wards. If what we've been told is true, we are literally enterting the dragon's den. What we do and say may have signficant repercussions on us getting out alive.

As they drop through the magical hole, Grant lands with a stumble, going down on one knee, "Ow!" He slowly stands and looks around taking in the vast tableau of magic that has been written across the building. The various symbols and runes used in the Wards becoming more and more familiar to the mage. Some of these combinations are actually starting to make sense, I think, I could devise an incantation to create them (Learning Wards as Grant's 8th level spell pick seems like the most obvious choice!). But some these look that they are waiting for an activation phrase, amazing!

He finally picks up on the gasp from Elizabeth, and sees Professor McGrath in the flesh. The desire to cast See Aura is strong, but he restrains himself unsure of what the effect would be. He follows along to the great room, the proverbial kid in the candy store. He stops suddenly upon entering the great room, whoever behind him is going to have dodge to avoid him as he sees the invisible golems. "Whoa! Oh, excuse me. Just admiring the room." Grant says trying to cover for his surprise, his eyes darting to the golems as he walks into the room.

Grant finds a seat in the room, where he can keep the two ends in view. When the two other men introduce themselves, he nods his head and says, "Hello Henry and Lup, please call me Grant." In the minutes before the professor's return, he asks, "Is Mr. Horne in residence?"




P.P.E. Used: 18
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:58 am

JIC: 1d20 = 17, 1d100 = 46
PER: 1d100 = 2 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

Ronith gives some thought as to whether to exclude Whyne from the invitation- she's not exactly trustworthy, but she is honorable after a fashion. Beltin seems to have a decent handle on the woman. In the end, Ronith has confidence that his second-in-command can handle her, and decides it isn't worth the trouble of keeping her locked up in the APC while the others go inside. Odin knows what kind of damage the changeling could do if she escaped.

With the group's unceremonious arrival, Ronith nods in approval as he helps Elizabeth to her feet. "Nothing to report, I trust?"

As they move through the mansion, Ronith takes note of the decor. So. This is related to the Celestials, and likely our time in Houstown. I should have guessed. Should any of the others take notice of Ronith's attention he will subtly indicate any pictures of Lady Sunshine.

Upon their arrival in the great room, Ronith will gesture for the others to take a seat first, before seating himself closest to their hosts. When Connor makes to excuse himself with Elizabeth, Ronith will cock an eyebrow at the team's erstwhile employer, silently inquiring as to whether she is alright to leave unescorted. They are married, though, and Ronith mainly wants to be sure that Elizabeth isn't whisked away too suddenly for her taste, so barring any vocalized objections on her part Ronith will simply nod and allow them to leave. However the cyber-knight is not above tuning into his amplified hearing to see if he can overhear whatever the two might be discussing- if it is of an obviously private nature he will of course tune it back out, but Ronith is growing impatient for answers and he suspects that Connor's explanation to Elizabeth might well be more candid than that to the team.

He doesn't expect much, though, and when introductions are made Ronith responds in kind. "Sir Ronith Turand, commander of Heroes for Hire and Lord of the Granite Hall. We have been contracted by Mrs. McGrath to locate her husband- but more importantly, these Sunaj left quite the mess behind in MercTown. We also have reason to believe that their activities are connected to a group called the Celestials. I trust you shall be able to shed some light on what is going on."
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 56/66; PPE- 57/57
Talismans: AoI (2/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:07 am

Perception 35% 1d100 = 44
JIC 1d100 = 68 1d20 = 9

Ronith wrote:With the group's unceremonious arrival, Ronith nods in approval as he helps Elizabeth to her feet. "Nothing to report, I trust?"


"APC is locked down, Grant and Barracuda had a meeting with somebody and I have not been able to find any sign that the Sunaj have been able to bug the mansion." Weiss reports in, wearing his new armour, which gave his voice a slightly different cadence.

He looks at the reunited married couple and felt a twinge in his heart, for the circumstances hit close to home, with his own wife missing and not getting in contact, he was in the same situation. Would she get in contact? Would he ever find her? Would he get a reunion like this with Jazia? Awkward or

Virtus wrote:They all arrive at the great room. "Please, make yourselves at home. Elizabeth, please come with me. Excuse us won't you?"


As Mcgrath and Elizabeth left, Weiss almost follows them out. She's our client and been the subject of a kidnapping attempt already. We are in an unknown location to us and now she's being separated from us. He was maintaining the jamming on the cards, but he considers handing her one on the way out, but considering they belonged to their enemies, he didn't know how that would play out.

Grant Latham wrote:He stops suddenly upon entering the great room, whoever behind him is going to have dodge to avoid him as he sees the invisible golems. "Whoa! Oh, excuse me. Just admiring the room." Grant says trying to cover for his surprise, his eyes darting to the golems as he walks into the room.


He was about to do so when Grant stopped suddenly in front of him, causing him to have to dodge around him and losing the opportunity to slip Elizabeth the card. Weiss doesn't say anything, but keeps a close eye out.

Virtus wrote:When Connor returns a few minutes later, he informs everyone that "Elizabeth is resting. This is all a lot for her. It's good to meet you all." he says greeting everyone in turn. Even Whyne he greets in friendly manner almost as if he doesn't know her at all


After Weiss shakes his hand, he presses a button on his radio, making Beltin's radio buzz slightly and gives the young psychic a nod with his head to get him to quietly talk to him telepathically, but also throwing a glance towards Sir Ronith to link him in.

Provided Beltin does so, he fills them in on his suspicions

"McGrath is not reacting to Whyne. I don't know about you, but that is getting my hackles up, especially how apprehensive Whyne was looking. I don't like the fact we just got separated from our client and none of us are with her. Should we check up on her?

As Whyne was stood next to him, when McGrath walks away, Weiss whispers to her. Everything still felt wrong; was it because he was out of his element or maybe because he was focusing on the people and ignoring the wealth. Remembering one of the options in the manual, he tried out the sound dampening option, keeping it tight around the two of them.

"Where you expecting that reaction?" he asks, voice sounding slightly suspicious.
OOC Comments
Using the sound dampening properties of the new patreon armour And I do need to move it across to my sheet


Ashlynn wrote:Instead, she walks over and stands, uncharacteristically silently, by Weiss.


Weiss bites his lip in contemplation, but he notices Ashlynn being uncharacteristically not Ashlynn. He nudges Ashlynn gently with his elbow, still keeping his plasma rifle out, balanced on his shoulder, but not combat ready and leans his head to quietly whisper to her, again using the sound dampening abilities of the suit.

"Keep your guard up. There are things about this situation that I don't like."
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:03 am

Perception: 1d100 = 93/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 3/1d100 = 3

Comic talk:
Linda Best, freelance writer and journalist wrote:"Well, this is a bit awkward." she greets him extending a hand. "Linda Best, freelance writer and journalist. To be honest, I can't say I'm actually looking for you, but I am observing your current exploit as I had the good fortune of spotting you. Not to be discomforting, but your doings are worth money to Redd Publishing and therefore to me."

Barracuda meets her hand for a shake. "Barracuda. Nice to meet you. So, that's how the comic works? People just follow me around and write about what I'm doing? I guess I've heard of weirder things. I've got a couple of requests. You tell Redd Publishing that I want a subscription to all of their comics sent to the Heroes For Hire headquarters in MercTown. Back issues too. If they and you are gonna make money off of me, I want to be able to read it. I'll pay for it. Secondly, I want you to make sure to include my teammates in this one. They're good people and I think some of them would lose it if they got featured in a comic. The bouncy one is called Mega KillRocket Superstar. Get her good side. The tall guy with the swords? That's Sir Ronith. He's way tough and strong and basically way cooler than me. I'd pay attention to him too."

Inside:
Gathering with the group, Barracuda prepares for some sort of transport. Not expecting it to come from underneath him, he struggles to land properly. But, he lands on his feet, stabilizing himself with his trident. He looks around the manor wide eyed. Wow, it's gorgeous in here. I wonder who made some of these scupltures. I've never been that good at scuplture. More of an acrylics guy, but these are just amazing. Upon introductions, Barracuda politely introduces himself. "Nice to meet you Henry, Lup. I'm Barracuda. Beautiful place you have."
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:33 am

(Rolls carried over)

When Weiss nudges Ashlynn she looks at him.

Weiss wrote:"Keep your guard up. There are things about this situation that I don't like."


Ashlynn nods. She whispers back, "There's a lot I don't like. Whole thing got me on edge. Maybe... hitting a little too close to home I guess." I'd hope... if I had family alive out there... they'd try to find me. I know Weiss and Zac are trying like hell to find mom... Their mom. ZAC'S mom. Not Weiss's mom. That'd be weird. But still... if they were out there and not trying... She shoves the thought out of her mind.

She rolls her neck and shakes out her arms and hands in an attempt to loosen up, and casually strides over to where she can keep one eye out the nearest window, watching for potential attack.

If she sees the suspicious individuals who'd melted away into the crowd return, she'll again try to focus her discerning gaze upon them.

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 54 (SUCCESS)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 62 (FAIL)

Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 98 (FAIL)
I.D. Undercover Agent 60% 1d100 = 39 (SUCCESS)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 13/31
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 18/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Beltin Delhomme » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:42 am

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 43/72%
JIC: 1d20 = 2| 1d100 = 37%
-----------------------------------

Current Status
  • N-F20A Medium Force Field [on] (75/75 MDC)
  • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
ISP: 219/268
SDC: 69/69
HP: 36/36
Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
Conditions (temporary):


    Surveillance. 52% | 1d100 = 18 <== the art of watching someone/thing without them noticing that you are watching them.

    Despite the majesty of such a powerful feat of magic as teleporting the entire H4H group to the interior of the mansion, Beltin works hard not to let it affect his perception of the situation. He remains hidden in the crowd, a wallflower unaffected by the extravagance of the mansion's interior. When Connor and Elizabeth are reunited, it is under Beltin's scrutinizing eye. He seems uncomfortable. Not the emotion one would think would be upfront when united with one's wife. The young mind melter imagines a reunion with Marit after an exhaustive search and mentally confirms his suspicions. Without a polite way of stopping him, Beltin is unable to prevent Connor from whisking Elizabeth away to parts unknown. What can we do to investigate this notion without alerting those present of our suspicion? We are certainly deep in the heart of someplace quite dangerous if all the traps and magic were to become hostile to us. It isn't long before Weiss gives voice to Beltin's concerns.

    Weiss wrote:"McGrath is not reacting to Whyne. I don't know about you, but that is getting my hackles up, especially how apprehensive Whyne was looking. I don't like the fact we just got separated from our client and none of us are with her. Should we check up on her?

    With a barely perceptible nod, Beltin confirms his agreement with Weiss' assessment. Activating his telepathy ((Telepathy: Superior. -8 ISP)), he responds to Weiss, but patches in the minds of the rest of H4H. He intends to share his suspicions, with hopes that if they execute a ruse, everyone ends up on-board, with fewer surprises in store.

    Yes, Weiss. Without doubt. I will try to position myself to check on Elizabeth. I sensed Connor was uncomfortable in his reunion with Elizabeth. Hardly the response one would expect with meeting your significant other after time apart. And his seeming unfamiliarity with Whynne is also suspect. My suspicions are that this may not be the actual Connor McGrath, but rather some reasonable facsimile. We are, after all, within a fortress brimming with magic. It would not be beyond the realm of possibility that a powerful mage, dragon, or other supernatural being is trying to pass themselves off as Connor McGrath. When I touched Bogg's mind earlier, he said, 'You shouldn't be here. Go away! No one can enter. They are everywhere and can be anyone.'. What if he didn't mean enemies that were trying to breach the perimeter, as I initially expected, but rather enemies that had already breached and were holding him hostage. After all, Bogg is not here to greet us.

    A haphazard plan forms in Beltin's mind and he does not hesitate to execute on it. Before he does, he finishes his monologue in the mind of H4H.

    Streetwise. 73% | 1d100 = 86 <== Assessing the options a nefarious enemy could take advantage of in their current situation.
    Detect Ambush. 32% | 1d100 = 29 <== Assess possibility of ambush in the great room.

    Someone should eventually ask about the 'Larmac' spotted in the window. But not until after I try to swindle my way into seeing Elizabeth. If there is a trap to be tripped, this great room seems like a well-designed location to do it. Lots of access points forces can use to converge on this location. And if hostages are in play, it would be better if we were not all pinned down by that trap.

    "Oh!" Beltin suddenly exclaims in a fit, trying to draw the attention of their hosts. He lightly smacks his own forehead with an open palm, suggesting the silliness of having forgotten something. "Pardon me Connor. Elizabeth had lent me one of her amulets earlier and said there was some trick to its removal without triggering a nasty magical reprisal." Beltin lies, gesturing to the amulet of charm draped around his neck. "I won't disturb her but a minute. And will return post-haste for what I gather will be a delightful display of your generous hospitality."

    Beltin begins to make his way toward the door used by Connor to re-enter the great hall. "I presume she is in one of the larger residential quarters? Perhaps a floor up where there is a better view?" The young mind melter looks expectantly for directions but believes it likely someone will be tasked to guide him. Fully anticipating the possibility that if his suspicions are confirmed, he himself will be heading into a trap or misdirected, Beltin focuses his mind on scrying for Mrs. McGrath ((Psionic Seeking. -6 ISP. 9 mile range. 45.00 min. 85% | 1d100 = 25. Even failed roll, will be able to sense whether or not the object is within range.)). That way, he will know (if he is even allowed to leave the great hall) if he is being directed (or more likely escorted) toward or away from Elizabeth's true location.
    Beltin Delhomme - H4H's psychic Swiss-army knife | Explorer Points

    Status
      -N-F20A Medium Force Field [off] (75/75 MDC)
      -NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
      ISP: 258/258
      SDC: 69/69
      HP: 36/36

    Constant effects
    Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)

    Image
    User avatar
    Beltin Delhomme
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 276
    Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
    Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Virtus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:33 pm

    Conditions
    Time & Date: Day 3, 4:01pm
    Climate: 60F, partly cloudy
    Visibility: 1 mile
    Terrain: Interior of Horne's Manor
    Ley Line within 1 mile
    Moderate radio traffic
    Magic in heavy use. Detectable everywhere.


    Sir Ronith uses his heighten hearing as Connor moves Elizabeth to a room. The sound of footsteps and a door opening, then closing are heard. Faintly he hears, "Elizabeth. Elizabeth! Stop. Look, there is no time to explain right this second. But I need you to stay here. Who are these people anyhow?"

    She replies in broken words with emotion hard to match with her poise, "I hired them to find you!

    There is a moment of silence before he replies "I'm sorry, they still have work left to do. You recognize this don't you? I showed it to you at Carter's funeral. I will be back shortly once things are sorted."

    A loud gasp is heard followed by a soft weeping as the door opens then shuts again.

    Weiss asks Whyne about the reaction. She looks suspicously at the door Connor left through. Speaking with her eyes, she cocks an eyebrow in obvious disbelief of the performance delivered.

    Grant greets the two men. "Hello Henry and Lup, please call me Grant.""Is Mr. Horne in residence?"

    The whispy haired mage looks mildly confused at Henry. Henry ignores him and says, "Yes. I'm sure he'll be along soon. Naturally the state of things is a bit tense. Latham. Latham? That name sounds familiar but I can't place it. Do you dabble in the arts as well?" he asks knowing full well the answer. Grant can clearly see the men are both magically adept.

    Connor then rejoins the group.

    "We thought you were dead." Ashlynn spits out in obvious frustration. His demeanor is much different than when he left. He, Henry and Lup are surveying the group. Grant is sure they have magic capabilities. Obviously magic is in use but with so much it can be difficult to discern but this is almost blatant.

    Ronith formally introduces himself. The mention of Celestials gets a double take from Connor. "Are you from Houstown? That's a name you don't hear often here. So, you said you were hired to find me and so you have. How much does Elizabeth owe you? I'll see that you are paid and on your way."

    Ashlynn moves to the edge of the great room but it's not enough to make it to a window.

    Beltin offers a premise upon which he can check on Elizabeth but Connor stops him saying, "Certainly, in a moment. But first let's conclude our business here." he says, obviously implying he wants everyone here. ((if you choose to push on I'll deal with that in the next post)) There is no doubt that this room would be potentially very useful for an ambush, particularly if these magic users had time to prepare, which they have. However, it is also clear suspicion and burden of proof is being leveled at Heroes for Hire. Mr. Horne is still no where to be seen and neither is Bogg who Beltin saw and communicated with. However, if this is a trap, they seem to be taking their time about it while also making a poor decision to bring in more opponents.

    By Henry and Lup's body language, let alone Connor's tone it is plain that he isn't merely a guest here but wields authority.

    "I mainly deal in hard currencies. Is gold an acceptable form? Since you all seem to be familiar with the threat present here, we aren't as generous as normal." to which Henry laughs as if generosity may be overstated. "Speaking of payment. Your company Sir Ronith. What type of jobs do you do?"


    Barracuda

    Linda is very informative about Redd Publishing. "Well, I report what I see but Robin crafts it into the comics. I'm sure a subscription wouldn't be a problem. He also pays cash if you endorse his comics. You should go meet him. If your friend... uh Kill Star Rocket.. is anything like you then he may bite. I don't know if anyone's been covering you recently as I've been following Posey for the past month. The tough part is selling Robin on it. Magic and tech stuff isn't what he freaks out over. It's the super angle. You're not from here right? Same for Posey and Max. It's the ideal that intrigues him I think. This is only the second time I've wrote on you, the first time I've got some first hand stuff. So, are you going to be operating in the city long?"
    User avatar
    Virtus
    Game Master
     
    Posts: 211
    Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Ronith » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:46 pm

    JIC: 1d20 = 15, 1d100 = 26
    PER: 1d100 = 65 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

    Trust/Intimidate: 1d100 = 67 vs. 60% (+30% vs. armed forces personnel, +10% vs. good-aligned)

    Virtus wrote:"Are you from Houstown? That's a name you don't hear often here. So, you said you were hired to find me and so you have. How much does Elizabeth owe you? I'll see that you are paid and on your way..."I mainly deal in hard currencies. Is gold an acceptable form? Since you all seem to be familiar with the threat present here, we aren't as generous as normal."
    "We are based out of MercTown, but a job recently took us through Houstown. There we had occasion to meet Sir Zero Moon and learn of the Celestials." Ronith pauses- trying to gauge Connor's tone. Is he trying to get rid of us or does he genuinely believe us to be mercenaries who care about nothing beyond our paycheck? Ronith's decision on that question will dictate whether he remains polite in his response or if he allows some flinty anger to enter his voice.

    "Payment would certainly be agreeable, Professor McGrath, as it has been some time since the team has had a conventionally rewarding mission. But it is not my principal concern at the moment. I believe your wife agreed to a sum of one million credits; gold is fine but I would prefer to leave the payment here until we have concluded matters with the Sunaj. Our APC is secure, but carting that much gold around is asking for trouble in my book."

    Virtus wrote: to which Henry laughs as if generosity may be overstated. "Speaking of payment. Your company Sir Ronith. What type of jobs do you do?"
    Ronith shrugs. "The only requirement for our jobs is that they be deemed morally acceptable to the cyber-knight-in-command. We have an excellent record of completing escort duties, bounty collection, search and destroy, search and recovery, and participating in several large-scale military operations. We are a small team, but versatile. If you wish to engage our services, I would be more than happy to discuss the matter. I do not suppose it is related to these... Sunaj, is it?"

    Ronith turns back to Connor. "Professor McGrath. I do not mean to be rude. But my team has been attacked. Our headquarters bombed. Several associates wounded- most notably my second-in-command's wife. These Sunaj cut a swath of destruction through MercTown and have given every indication that they intend to continue doing so here. What's more, they have made it abundantly clear that they do not care who gets hurt in the process."

    "I appreciate your trepidation- having fought these Sunaj myself, I can assure you that it is well-founded. But whatever your current plan is, it is not working and you are running out of time. They tracked Elizabeth. They tracked you to Dweomer, to this very mansion. And they are whittling away its mystical defenses one layer at a time. What's more, their efforts and your apparent lack of a permanent solution to the problem are putting the lives of innocent people in danger." Ronith leans forward and rests his fists on an appropriate tabletop or similar surface. "And that is not something I intend to allow to continue."

    "You and I both know that no magus, no matter how skilled, can maintain such an effort indefinitely. Thus, staying here is unlikely to be a viable option forever, and running clearly has not served you all that well thus far. You need a new plan. You need to strike back at them. You need Heroes for Hire."

    "And we need to know what this is all about, and how it is connected to the Celestials. Possibly somewhere called Broken Door, unless I miss my guess. I realize that you do not yet fully trust us- I had hoped that my ability to make it past your defenses, and our delivering your wife into your care would convince you of our sincerity. Rest assured, had I wanted your freedom or your life, I would have it. But clearly, you require additional convincing." Ronith flips open one of his armor pouches and tosses the Celestial medal given to him in Houstown on the table. "I and several members of my team earned these in Houstown recently. Courtesy of our successful efforts against a hurricane, among other things. If my titles do not convince you, perhaps that will. Otherwise, I am prepared to submit to any test you require to reassure you that our intentions are honorable."

    "But make no mistake. We are not leaving these grounds until you tell me what the Hel is going on, what you found, and what these Sunaj want."
    I am better than you. You just don't know it.
    Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
    +12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
    Status
    ISP- 56/66; PPE- 57/57
    Talismans: AoI (2/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (2/3)

    Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
    User avatar
    Ronith
    Group Leader
     
    Posts: 473
    Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
    Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Virtus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:18 pm

    Connor listens patiently to Ronith. The assertion of skill doesn't phase him as much as the medal Ronith plunks down. Nor as much as Ronith mentioning Broken Door.

    "Where did you hear that name?!" Connor says in shock. Raising in eyebrow and tilting his head in resignation he says, "Very well."

    Before their eyes Connor transforms into a tall man with dark shoulder length hair.

    Image

    "First, I am Horne, Mr. Horne, Lord of this Manor. I have found nothing. WE however," he says gesturing to Lup and Henry "Along with Connor's grandfather ,John, financed an expedition to recover an item John had discovered. One of our business partners, Clay, would turn out to be a devotee of Thulabrax. He had went with John to scout out the location but that was the last we ever heard from either of them. How much of a surprise was it to me when years later along side Zero Moon and Nikkou that I would find myself in White Fang, the temple of Thulabrax. Apparently his servant had managed to send the creature information on the city before their deaths as we would discover after its destruction.

    Later Carter and Connor would discover John's journal without our knowledge. They apparently found it again. Unfortunately on a return trip their teleportation was errant and they landed in Atlantis. I am guessing I don't have to explain that place. Quickly they found themselves in the wrong hands. Carter made a way for Connor's escape. Upon his return home and the news of Carter's death is when I went to Lazlo. It was there I learned of their efforts. However the damage had been done. A Splugorth has taken personal interest in the matter and has been dogging their steps ever since.

    Now as far as what's going on HERE. We are stalling. Keeping the Sunaj busy watching us, instead of realizing that Connor isn't here and is now looking for a part hidden in a forgotten place. Unfortunately he has been gone for over a week. It's possible he has died in there. But now you have come along very conveniently. So money doesn't motivate you, it's to be cause. Well, then I offer you this case; save a madman from his own madness and bring him back out of the shadows. Connor was tortured and his mind is warped. Even if you bring him back, you may not save him. I advocated that he leave this matter completely but neither he nor this Splugorth are going to let it go. Perhaps the completion of this task will free him from his own prison. That was my thought. But perhaps it is just his grave. Still if I had my wish it would be for him to forget this matter all together and to be a husband to his wife. Human lives are so fleeting so as to be wasted like this."
    User avatar
    Virtus
    Game Master
     
    Posts: 211
    Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Weiss » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:52 pm

    Perception 35% 1d100 = 37
    JIC 1d100 = 96 1d20 = 14

    Virtus wrote:Weiss asks Whyne about the reaction. She looks suspicously at the door Connor left through. Speaking with her eyes, she cocks an eyebrow in obvious disbelief of the performance delivered.

    “I’m blocking their ability to hear us,” he tapped the armour on the leg, "Laugh like we’re sharing a private joke or something. You've studied him. Is he showing what you'd expect of his mannerisms, movement etc?"

    Beltin Delhomme wrote:Someone should eventually ask about the 'Larmac' spotted in the window. But not until after I try to swindle my way into seeing Elizabeth. If there is a trap to be tripped, this great room seems like a well-designed location to do it. Lots of access points forces can use to converge on this location. And if hostages are in play, it would be better if we were not all pinned down by that trap.


    “Well, we are looking for Mr Horne as well,” Weiss continues to speak through the telepathic connection, “And so far nobody has identified themselves as such. I will bring up mention of Boggs, specifically using the names of Yanso and The Gorshins. If they know where he is in the mansion, this shouldn’t be a problem, but if he’s hiding and you got lucky spotting him, then let’s not rat him out by revealing his location.”


    Ashlynn wrote:"There's a lot I don't like. Whole thing got me on edge. Maybe... hitting a little too close to home I guess."


    “Ash, stay focused inside the building. Might be about to open the can of worms.” He warned the young mutant, “Be ready to back me up. Don’t know about you, but I suspect most of these people are magic users or similar considering the city we are in. I also don’t think any of them are what they seem.” Like he did with Whyne, he maintained the control over the directionality of the sound. "The job always finds ways to get us on edge, best way to deal is to the job and deal with the emotional stuff later. "

    Weiss was about to speak when Sir Ronith took charge.

    Ronith wrote:"But make no mistake. We are not leaving these grounds until you tell me what the Hel is going on, what you found, and what these Sunaj want."


    AS
    Virtus wrote:Before their eyes Connor transforms into a tall man with dark shoulder length hair.


    Can't say I'm surprised at that revelation, but what is it about this job that keeps attracting shapeshifters? Why can't anybody just keep the one shape.
    After he addresses the group, Weiss pressed on with his question. All the rest of the shit can wait; I made a promise to a grieving mother.
    “Excuse me,” he addresses Mr Horne, rifle shifting slightly on his shoulder so that he can bring it to bear quickly; considering the potential firepower here, doesn’t hurt to be ready for trouble, “would it be possible to speak to Boggs, the Larmac? We know he was with you, sorry Connor when he left Dweomer and I have a message for him from his friends Yanso and the Gorshin brothers. Also, I feel I've certainly come in at 3rd reel of a film, but what is Tharlbrux and when you say tortured do you mean actually tortured or more that it affected his mind?"

    "Do we want to mention that its not just the Sunaj hunting Connor, but other groups as well?
    viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

    HP: 32
    SDC: 54

    Active:
    Clock calendar
    Gyro Compass
    User avatar
    Weiss
    Bronze Level Patron
    Bronze Level Patron
     
    Posts: 144
    Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
    Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Virtus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:23 pm

    Horne nods at Weiss' mention of Bogg. "Ah yes, Bogg. He's upstairs. We've already fended off one attack just last night but we've been expecting them for quite a while actually. I'm rather surprised it has taken this long. Bogg's been making regular appearances at the window as have myself in Connor's likeness."

    With regards to torture, I mean it literally. Connor and his father have been very tight lipped about the whole thing. Even for me extracting information from his has been difficult. Connor and his father had a failed teleport that landed them in the grasp of Otoxolyth, a Splugorth known for its hatred of the Coalition. John's journal was with them when they were captured. The deep encryption was a temptation to strong to be ignored. So they forced information out of them, something Splugorth tend to be very good at.

    As far as Thulabrax, it was a vampire intelligence. I was part of the force that brought it down, including the Celestials whom I would later join. Of course that was many years ago."
    User avatar
    Virtus
    Game Master
     
    Posts: 211
    Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Beltin Delhomme » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:53 am

    -----------------------------------
    Perception: 1d100 = 17/72%
    JIC: 1d20 = 12| 1d100 = 45%
    -----------------------------------

    Current Status
    • N-F20A Medium Force Field [on] (75/75 MDC)
    • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
    ISP: 205/268
    SDC: 69/69
    HP: 36/36
    Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
    Conditions (temporary):
    • Telepathy: Superior. 17.75 min. 1100' comm range. 550' probe range.
    • Psionic Seeking (Elizabeth). 44.75 min. 9 mile range.


    ((I am presuming that the psionic activations of TP: Superior and psionic seeking were successful as per the rolls last post))

    Blocked from immediately checking on Elizabeth's well-being, Beltin nonetheless complies with Connor's request with a slight nod. Beneath the surface, doubt and suspicion continue to brew and though he may not be able to physically visit her, having located her, Beltin will reach out with his mind.

    Mrs. McGrath. This is Beltin Delhomme of Heroes for Hire. Though you were escorted away from us by your husband. I wished to confirm that you are indeed safe. I have my suspicions that Connor is not being forthright with us.

    Good. Beltin thinks to himself when Sir Ronith presses the introduction and includes the Celestial medals as proof they can be trusted. And he breathes a slight sigh of relief when his intuition is confirmed and Mr. Horne let's go of the Connor guise and introduces himself. Beltin splits his attention between Mr. Horne's briefing of the situation and anything Mrs. McGrath might have to add. He remains quietly contemplative while Weiss presses about Bogg and more details are revealed.

    Lore: Demon/Monster. 72% | 1d100 = 68 <== to reflect upon Splugorth and vampire intelligence's abilities to influence or warp minds.

    So Connor is missing still. But may be twisted or turned by some malevolent force. Splugorth, or even worse, perhaps a vampire intelligence. It will be crucial that the ammunition we bring on this mission consist not only of the physical kind, but also emotional. If Connor has lost some of his humanity, we will need events and memories of his love for his wife and previous life to act as beacons to light his way back. I do not believe it prudent that Elizabeth travel with us anymore. So preparations made now will determine our level of success later.

    "I presume Mrs. McGrath now knows that you had merely donned the guise of her missing husband? But that the reality is that he is still at large?" Beltin asks Horne politely. Once confirmed, Beltin will turn his full attention to establishing a mental conversation with Elizabeth. Even going so far as to close his eyes to minimize distractions.

    Research. 52% | 1d100 = 95 <== to know the correct questions to ask in order to gain a library of powerful emotional memories/experiences that Mr and Mrs. McGrath shared.

    Mrs. McGrath. Beltin again. I need to speak to you about something very important. And unfortunately, potentially intrusive of your privacy. Mr. Horne has explained the situation more thoroughly at this point and I anticipate it merely a matter of time before we are tasked with picking up on your husband's trail. Horne mentioned however, that there is the possibility that Connor has been tortured and his mind warped during captivity. If this is true, we will need emotional ammunition to restore him. Beltin pauses a moment before the difficult ask.

    Elizabeth. I need you to share with me some events in your shared life with your husband that have been especially impactful and that have been defining points in your love and life with him. I understand this is a horrible imposition. And for that, I am profoundly sorry. But since we cannot risk the danger of your attendance in this mission, this is the only way I can think of for us to be prepared to win back his heart and mind. Please. Take your time. And relish in the details.

    Should Mrs. McGrath agree and begin to share, Beltin will reinforce the memory of his own mind ((Total Recall. -2 ISP)) such that when the time comes to reproduce these envisioned events, they will be accurate in their details.

    If anyone else in the great hall notices Beltin during this time, he might appear quite silly-looking. Standing at attention, his eyeslids are closed, but his eyes are darting rapidly beneath them. As if in a deep trance, he has a slight sway from side to side. Extremely focused, aside from being knocked off his feet, he will be difficult to rouse from the task at hand.
    Beltin Delhomme - H4H's psychic Swiss-army knife | Explorer Points

    Status
      -N-F20A Medium Force Field [off] (75/75 MDC)
      -NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
      ISP: 258/258
      SDC: 69/69
      HP: 36/36

    Constant effects
    Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)

    Image
    User avatar
    Beltin Delhomme
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 276
    Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
    Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Virtus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 am

    Beltin's studies and conversations with Whyne seem to be widening his perspective as he looks at the situation from new angles. While intuition can only carry a person so far, when used in tandem with significant psionic abilities it proves to be an impressive tool.

    Beltin asks "I presume Mrs. McGrath now knows that you had merely donned the guise of her missing husband? But that the reality is that he is still at large?"

    Horne nods. "He was here for a few weeks. He trekked here on foot from Merctown with Bogg. They were going to drive but apparently the Sunaj had already found him by that point, so the ditched the vehicle and fled. A couple years ago, when the Splugorth had captured him it seemed to have created a deep seeded fear of teleportation. That's not a journey on foot I would have wanted to make. It would have made things much easier on him and everyone else. Regardless, almost two weeks ago he made for the hidden place I mentioned. It is a place that was created when the protections of Dweomer were first established. There were still many dark things here at that time. The remnants of a town that was here along with the darkness there in was enveloped and locked away by the magics used to create Dweomer. Officially it is verboten to go there. Still the way in which it was done still required a door. Some form of access too and from. There is a door in this city that leads to that place. Many beings have used it over the years to store away secret things or to hide dark deeds. Some have even explored it to bring back artifacts left there over the ages. That door is what is known as Broken Door. Like it sounds, the door looks forlorn but once you energize it with enough energy it unlocks the passage to that place."

    Beltin does know she is within range. However, trying to reach her mind proves difficult. As his mind reaches out for hers, a wall crashes down. Much like her visible self, her mind appears to be guarded. It is probable she has led a life of sorrow, even before the McGraths. She seems like a person alone, becoming more alone.
    User avatar
    Virtus
    Game Master
     
    Posts: 211
    Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Grant Latham » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 am

    New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 45
    JIC: 1d20 = 5, 1d100 = 33

    Constant Abilities
    Character Sheet

    • Sense Ley Line: 74%
    • Sense Ley Line Nexus 84%
    • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 100mi
    • Sense Magic in Use: 700'
    • Immune to Possession
    • Regenerate 2d6 H.P./S.D.C. per minute
    • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
    • Spell Range doubled
    • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
    • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
    Stats
    • H.P.: 56/56
    • S.D.C.: 23/23
    • I.S.P.: 65/78
    • P.P.E.: 514/572
    • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
    Active Magic and Psionics
    • Being Near a Ley line, within two miles, increases the range and duration of spells by 50%.
    • Decipher Magic | HU2 321 | 4 P.P.E. | 24 min | Read magic symbols/runes at 94%. Can't be used to learn how to make a circle or a ward, but should be able to interpret the symbols
    • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 P.P.E. | 600' | 12 min
    • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 P.P.E. | 135' r | 24 min | Mind Block/Alter Aura/Protection from Magic will block spell.
    • See Wards | PF2 193 | 8 P.P.E. | 180' | 48 min | See active wards, how many, general sense of power. Area of effect


    Lore: Demons & Monsters - 109% vs 1d100 = 36 | Useful facts about the splugorth
    Lore: Magic (General) - 109% vs 1d100 = 90 | The nature of the 'Broken Door'
    Land Navigation - 98% vs 1d100 = 67 | Where the 'Broken Door' might be in the city
    Navigation - 101% vs 1d100 = 43 | Where the 'Broken Door' might be in the city
    Lore: Magic (Identify Magic Items) - 79% vs 1d100 = 4 | The significance of what Connor is trying to find (if told)
    Lore: Vampires - 79% vs 1d100 = 70 | Useful facts about the vampire intelligence
    Intelligence - 67% vs 1d100 = 55 | Putting it all together

    As they wait for Connor to return, Grant using Beltin's telepathic relay let's the group about the magical defenses. There are invisible golems in the room, essentially magical robots. The whole building is laced with ward symbols. Unlike a magic circle, scuffing the symbols will usually cause it to activate rather than render them useless. All three men have a considerable store of magical energy, what type of magic they wield is still unknown.

    He waits and nods as Sir Ronith negotiates with Connor. When he pulls out the Celestial medal, Grant pulls his out as well to reinforce the confirmation that they are allies of the Celestials.

    When Connor transforms into Mr. Horne, Grant can't help but smile. Well a shape-changer puts me one step closer to winning that bet, he thinks. He glances at Weiss as he whispers towards Ashlynn. Verbal side-bar conversations may provoke our hosts before they grant us some measure of trust.

    The idea that a splugorth other than Splynncryth has a grudge against the Coalition, causes him to frown. Could there be two of those pan-dimenisonal horrors with a foothold on Earth? Why would one specifically hate the CS? Maybe there is more than one of them in Atlantis.

    Mr. Horne wrote:"Still if I had my wish it would be for him to forget this matter all together and to be a husband to his wife. Human lives are so fleeting so as to be wasted like this."


    Grant focuses on Mr. Horne as he says 'Human lives', Ah ha! It would be odd indeed for a real human to use such a phrase. Are you a dragon my fine fellow?

    Mr. Horne fills in many gaps about the true Connor MacGrath in Grant's mind. That Dwoemer has many hidden and forgotten magics such as the 'Broken Door' that the professor has been looking for does not surprise the mage. What Mr. Horne has added lines up well with what they've learned from Elizabeth and Ms. Whyne. He speaks up, "These artifacts were hidden for a reason, I suspect the Three don't want anything stored there brought out to see the light of day. If the Professor is not mentally stable, then we may need to stop him as well as prevent those after him from obtaining anything as well." He takes a breath and adds as a statement not a question, "He must have spoken about what he expects to find, knowing what is it may make the difference in saving his life."
    Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

    Info
    H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

    Constant Special Abilities
    • Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

    Equipped Gear of Note
    MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
    6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
    User avatar
    Grant Latham
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 282
    Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
    Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Ronith » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 pm

    JIC: 1d20 = 12, 1d100 = 59
    PER: 1d100 = 85 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

    Perhaps because his own nature is (usually) disinclined to deceit, or simply because his mind was on other matters, Ronith hadn't considered the possibility that Connor was not who he appear to be. He had, however, noted the oddity of McGrath being deferred to by the manor staff, and so while he shows some surprise when Horne drops the veil Ronith keeps it to himself as he listens to the tale. The name Thulabrax calls to mind a portion of Zero Moon's tale, and Ronith nods as some of the pieces begin to fall into place. Somehow, he is not surprised that Connor's situation is related to the tale of the Celestials.

    "So... these Sunaj are Splugorth minions of some sort. I have had dealings with the false Atlanteans before- they and their ilk do not frighten me, and if these assassins have heard anything of the fate of Newfoundland they would do well to fear us."

    Virtus wrote:"Now as far as what's going on HERE. We are stalling. Keeping the Sunaj busy watching us, instead of realizing that Connor isn't here and is now looking for a part hidden in a forgotten place...Well, then I offer you this case; save a madman from his own madness and bring him back out of the shadows. Connor was tortured and his mind is warped. Even if you bring him back, you may not save him. I advocated that he leave this matter completely but neither he nor this Splugorth are going to let it go. Perhaps the completion of this task will free him from his own prison. That was my thought. But perhaps it is just his grave. Still if I had my wish it would be for him to forget this matter all together and to be a husband to his wife. Human lives are so fleeting so as to be wasted like this."
    Sound advice. Ronith finds himself momentarily distracted with a thought of Amie, then shakes it off and replies. "Perhaps he felt it worth the risk. In any event; we were hired to find Professor McGrath. As he has not yet been found, our obligation is clear. I cannot guarantee that we shall be able to restore his sanity, but my second is an accomplished psychic healer. If anyone can do it, he can." To Beltin, Ronith telepathically (and somewhat sardonically) adds No pressure. Seeing that Horne is satisfied, Ronith scoops up his medal and returns it to its hiding place.

    Virtus wrote:"Regardless, almost two weeks ago he made for the hidden place I mentioned. It is a place that was created when the protections of Dweomer were first established. There were still many dark things here at that time. The remnants of a town that was here along with the darkness there in was enveloped and locked away by the magics used to create Dweomer. Officially it is verboten to go there. Still the way in which it was done still required a door. Some form of access too and from. There is a door in this city that leads to that place. Many beings have used it over the years to store away secret things or to hide dark deeds. Some have even explored it to bring back artifacts left there over the ages. That door is what is known as Broken Door. Like it sounds, the door looks forlorn but once you energize it with enough energy it unlocks the passage to that place."

    Ronith nods. "Then there we shall go. If you have a picture of Connor, and/or something that belonged to him, that could also help us track him down. I trust that I have your word Mrs. McGrath will remain safe here, under your care?"

    In addition, when he has a quiet moment Ronith will telepathically 'conference' with Beltin and Grant. The changeling. Whyne, or however she wishes to call herself. I get the sense that she is less dishonorable than rogue, and that she is unlikely to pose a danger to innocents herself. Do you agree?

    If the answer is yes, Ronith will approach her. "You are performing one service for my team. Should you be willing to perform a second, in service to the innocent and to the greater good, I am prepared to show you leniency and grant you your freedom. The woman we came with- Elizabeth McGrath. Can you mimic her appearance? We shall need to take you with us, and make sure that you are seen without being too obvious about it, but my team and I shall keep you out of danger. Once we have dealt with these Sunaj, I will consider your debt to the law discharged. What say you?"

    If Whyne is receptive to the proposal, and can mimic Elizabeth's appearance, Ronith will survey the team. Blast. Zoe would actually be useful for once. Awkwardly clearing his throat, he will say "Ah, Ashlynn. We need the clothing Elizabeth was wearing when she came in with us- the outerwear that is. Can you see if she would be willing to part with it?" To everyone assembled, he adds "If 'Elizabeth' is seen with us, it may relieve the pressure on your estate. If it provides us the opportunity to deal with these damnable assassins once and for all, so much the better."
    I am better than you. You just don't know it.
    Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
    +12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
    Status
    ISP- 56/66; PPE- 57/57
    Talismans: AoI (2/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (2/3)

    Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
    User avatar
    Ronith
    Group Leader
     
    Posts: 473
    Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
    Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Beltin Delhomme » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:52 am

    -----------------------------------
    Perception: 1d100 = 74/72%
    JIC: 1d20 = 12| 1d100 = 12%
    -----------------------------------

    Current Status
    • N-F20A Medium Force Field [on] (75/75 MDC)
    • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
    ISP: 225/288
    SDC: 69/69
    HP: 36/36
    Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
    Conditions (temporary):
    • Telepathy: Superior. 11.50 min. 1100' comm range. 550' probe range.
    • Psionic Seeking (Elizabeth). 43.50 min. 9 mile range.


    Lore: Magic (general). 82% | 1d100 = 80 <== Reflect upon nature of Horne, Henry, Lup

    Grant Latham wrote:There are invisible golems in the room, essentially magical robots. The whole building is laced with ward symbols. Unlike a magic circle, scuffing the symbols will usually cause it to activate rather than render them useless. All three men have a considerable store of magical energy, what type of magic they wield is still unknown.

    Good to know. Thank you for sharing. Beltin replies, Based on what limited experience I have with Marit's diabolism, it seems a considerable amount of time, effort and knowledge is infused into these preparations. Putting all these clues together, my guess is that they have more than the span of a single lifetime to dedicate to such. Their nature seems beyond the mundane.

    As Mr. Horne continues to share information, Beltin's suspicions of his duplicity begin to wane. Two weeks missing. Broken Door provides access to forbidden black in Dweomer. Our task seems straightforward enough. But will no doubt be fraught with surprises.

    Ronith wrote:"Perhaps he felt it worth the risk. In any event; we were hired to find Professor McGrath. As he has not yet been found, our obligation is clear. I cannot guarantee that we shall be able to restore his sanity, but my second is an accomplished psychic healer. If anyone can do it, he can." To Beltin, Ronith telepathically (and somewhat sardonically) adds No pressure.

    A light chuckle and smirk play across Beltin's face. Sure, sure. Never any pressure in our line of work. he acknowledges casually.

    Beltin makes a brief effort trying to reach out to Elizabeth by telepathy, but knows better than to batter against erected mental walls. She does not wish to have her mind intruded upon currently. That is understandable. No doubt the last few minutes have been a roller coaster of emotion. She thought she was greeting her husband, only to be shown and told later that he is still missing.

    Ronith wrote:In addition, when he has a quiet moment Ronith will telepathically 'conference' with Beltin and Grant. The changeling. Whyne, or however she wishes to call herself. I get the sense that she is less dishonorable than rogue, and that she is unlikely to pose a danger to innocents herself. Do you agree?

    I would not expect her to spontaneously heroically save an innocent, but I certainly believe that she operates by her own personal code. Since we have secured her services, I think she can be trusted to hold up her end of the bargain. It is possible, however, that she will try to re-negotiate for more money depending on the amount of expansion of the scope of what we ask her to do.

    Once the briefing is completed, Beltin will push for some time to speak with Elizabeth. He still intends ((as per the previous post)) to arm himself with some profound memories she and her husband shared in their life together.
    Beltin Delhomme - H4H's psychic Swiss-army knife | Explorer Points

    Status
      -N-F20A Medium Force Field [off] (75/75 MDC)
      -NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
      ISP: 258/258
      SDC: 69/69
      HP: 36/36

    Constant effects
    Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)

    Image
    User avatar
    Beltin Delhomme
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 276
    Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
    Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Virtus » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:23 am

    Grant says, "These artifacts were hidden for a reason, I suspect the Three don't want anything stored there brought out to see the light of day. If the Professor is not mentally stable, then we may need to stop him as well as prevent those after him from obtaining anything as well. He must have spoken about what he expects to find, knowing what is it may make the difference in saving his life."

    Horne nods in affirmation. "Yes, I know exactly what it is because I'm the one who put it there. Connor and his father weren't only left with John's journal. There was an item left with it we never knew about until I spoke with Connor at his father Carter's funeral. By the point the Sunaj we after them. We both thought it best to hide it where no one could find it, not even him for fear of it being tortured out of him. So I took it to Broken Door. It's a case with what I believe to be a magic fuel of some type for Whither Gate. I don't know, perhaps John's journal has more answers."

    Henry interjects unexpectedly. "The Three didn't make Broken Door to store anything. They wanted the nexus but there was already a darkness here. Rather than eradicating everything as they likely should have, they pushed it into a pocket dimension. Maybe there were other factors too. I have never asked. They don't want some of the things in there to escape. The world has been experiencing the war between the Demons and Deevils. However there are other demons. Many haunted this world. Some of those had made an abode in the town that used to be here. It is likely they are still trapped within that place as well. There are many dark things there. There is no sun or moon in that place. A perpetual twilight. Most who go do not return. It was against my recommendations to hide it there and even more so against my council that Connor should have went to retrieve it, but I am master of only myself."
    User avatar
    Virtus
    Game Master
     
    Posts: 211
    Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Grant Latham » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:50 am

    (rolls carried)

    Grant glances over to Sir Ronith, Beltin, and Barracuda at Mr. Horne's mention of the Whither Gate. "The Whither Gate is something that the Celestials were searching for many years without success. They did not seem to know what it was exactly either. You say it's possible he's looking for a fuel to power it?"

    Sir Ronith, do you still have the puzzle box we received from Sir Zero Moon? Perhaps Mr. Horne may have a means of opening it, Grant says through Beltin's mental link. At least this Broken Door doesn't appear to be the Whither Gate, one more barrier for the Sunaj to surpass in their efforts to find it.

    OOC Comments
    I am not sure if anyone actively said they picked up the box, but we would have taken it.
    Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

    Info
    H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

    Constant Special Abilities
    • Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

    Equipped Gear of Note
    MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
    6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
    User avatar
    Grant Latham
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 282
    Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
    Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Weiss » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:05 pm

    rolls carried

    Virtus wrote:Horne nods at Weiss' mention of Bogg. "Ah yes, Bogg. He's upstairs. We've already fended off one attack just last night but we've been expecting them for quite a while actually. I'm rather surprised it has taken this long. Bogg's been making regular appearances at the window as have myself in Connor's likeness."


    "In which case, would it be possible to speak to him? Weiss inquired, lowering his rifle from his shoulder to holding with both hands, barrel aimed diagonally at the floor. They seemed to be getting along now, so he relaxed, not needing to be ready for a firefight right at that instant.

    He opened his mouth to make a couple of suggestions, but Sir Ronith and the others beat him to it. Least we are thinking along the same lines

    Virtus wrote:Horne nods in affirmation. "Yes, I know exactly what it is because I'm the one who put it there. Connor and his father weren't only left with John's journal. There was an item left with it we never knew about until I spoke with Connor at his father Carter's funeral. By the point the Sunaj we after them. We both thought it best to hide it where no one could find it, not even him for fear of it being tortured out of him. So I took it to Broken Door. It's a case with what I believe to be a magic fuel of some type for Whither Gate. I don't know, perhaps John's journal has more answers."

    Henry interjects unexpectedly. "The Three didn't make Broken Door to store anything. They wanted the nexus but there was already a darkness here. Rather than eradicating everything as they likely should have, they pushed it into a pocket dimension. Maybe there were other factors too. I have never asked. They don't want some of the things in there to escape. The world has been experiencing the war between the Demons and Deevils. However there are other demons. Many haunted this world. Some of those had made an abode in the town that used to be here. It is likely they are still trapped within that place as well. There are many dark things there. There is no so or moon in that place. A perpetual twilight. Most who go do not return. It was against my recommendations to hide it there and even more so against my council that Connor should have went to retrieve it, but I am master of only myself."


    What exactly is this item? Weiss was no expert on magic; in fact the stuff they were discussing was out of his normal area, but when in Rome; "and why worry about storing it there? I take it is full of traps and defenses and from the sounds of it, a ton of demons or the like.
    viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

    HP: 32
    SDC: 54

    Active:
    Clock calendar
    Gyro Compass
    User avatar
    Weiss
    Bronze Level Patron
    Bronze Level Patron
     
    Posts: 144
    Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
    Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Barracuda » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:39 pm

    Perception: 1d100 = 61/43% (58% underwater)
    JIC: 1d20 = 19/1d100 = 73

    Comic Talk:
    Linda Best wrote:"Well, I report what I see but Robin crafts it into the comics. I'm sure a subscription wouldn't be a problem. He also pays cash if you endorse his comics. You should go meet him. If your friend... uh Kill Star Rocket.. is anything like you then he may bite. I don't know if anyone's been covering you recently as I've been following Posey for the past month. The tough part is selling Robin on it. Magic and tech stuff isn't what he freaks out over. It's the super angle. You're not from here right? Same for Posey and Max. It's the ideal that intrigues him I think. This is only the second time I've wrote on you, the first time I've got some first hand stuff. So, are you going to be operating in the city long?"


    Listening to all the information she has to give about Redd Publishing, Barracuda files it away for later use. "I'd love to meet him. I'm not particularly hard up for cash, but I'm sure I could come to an agreement with him. And yeah, Mega KillRocket Superstar is another super, like me. Not from here and no way back home. So I figured I'd make a difference here. This Posey, what's her deal? And Max? Who's that? I'd like to meet with them if you could arrange that." I wonder if she's related to Daisy? But that's back home. I doubt she made it here... Although, if Ash and I both did then who knows? And Max? Another super? He gets himself back on track. "Not sure how long we'll be here. There's some... very specific trouble that we're here to deal with. Hopefully it won't take us long. The jerks who did it blew up our base. My home. So, it's time to show them why you don't mess with the Heroes for Hire."

    Inside:
    Barracuda listens to the conversation and watches the reveals as they happen. When Ronith brings out his Celestial medal, Barracuda nervously rubs the back of his neck. He leans over to Ash and says "I uh, left my medal in my dresser at home. I didn't think we would need it!" Not one with a mind for planning, he pays attention to what is being said and more specifically, how Ronith deals with the situation. But what grabs his attention is the mention of energy and the Whither Gate.
    Virtus wrote:"That door is what is known as Broken Door. Like it sounds, the door looks forlorn but once you energize it with enough energy it unlocks the passage to that place."

    "What kinda energy does it need? We're chock full of energy over here. I can absorb and put out... wait, you're talking about magic aren't you. Never mind." He sits back until mention of the Whither Gate.
    "Yeah! That was the thing Zero Moon was talking about, right? So, something in Broken Door could help open Whither Gate? What's in there?"
    Barracuda
    Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
    SDC: 121/121
    HP: 23/23
    Critical Strike: 18-20



    Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
    Image
    User avatar
    Barracuda
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 287
    Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
    Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Beltin Delhomme » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:32 am

    -----------------------------------
    Perception: 1d100 = 85/72%
    JIC: 1d20 = 15| 1d100 = 50%
    -----------------------------------

    Current Status
    • N-F20A Medium Force Field [on] (75/75 MDC)
    • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
    ISP: 225/288
    SDC: 69/69
    HP: 41/41
    Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
    Conditions (temporary):
    • Telepathy: Superior. 11.50 min. 1100' comm range. 550' probe range.
    • Psionic Seeking (Elizabeth). 43.50 min. 9 mile range.


    Henry speaks as if he was personally or at least adjacently involved when decisions related to the Broken Door were made. Fascinating. Perhaps all three of them are more than they seem. Perhaps they are simply taking on a mortal shell to put us at ease, but in reality they are some manner of magic creature or supernatural beings. And these beings are sending us on a mission to rescue (ideally) a man whose mind may have been twisted by supernatural forces in a place that is forbidden, potentially chock full of demons and from which few have returned. I'm eager to see how this plays out! Beltin muses to himself sardonically before something Horne says begs a question that Weiss asks first.

    Weiss wrote:What exactly is this item?

    "I agree. Please tell us more about this item. Knowing more about its nature will allow us to better prepare, and also understand what preparations Connor might have made to go extract it. For example, is it the size of a jewelry box, or a hovertruck? Is it as light as a feather or requires a robotic forklift to carry? Does it vaporize every third person that tries to touch it? All these complications would be good to know in advance, before we are fending off demons, fighting for our lives." Beltin smiles warmly, genuine in his question.

    Before their conversation is concluded in the great hall (and they head to Elizabeth's room), Beltin will try to re-iterate Sir Ronith's request for some personal item of Connor's for tracking purposes.
    Beltin Delhomme - H4H's psychic Swiss-army knife | Explorer Points

    Status
      -N-F20A Medium Force Field [off] (75/75 MDC)
      -NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
      ISP: 258/258
      SDC: 69/69
      HP: 36/36

    Constant effects
    Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)

    Image
    User avatar
    Beltin Delhomme
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 276
    Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
    Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Virtus » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:05 am

    Grant

    Grant wonders if Connor is looking for a power source for Whither Gate. Horne nods. "We think so. Even Connor thinks so. The problem is John's journal. It's deeply encrypted. John was very smart and developed this himself. Connor and his father were able to decipher large parts of it. Even I've only see the journal a hand full of times, mostly when John was alive years ago and I never thought to really look at it... I was mainly looking at his illustrations." he adds with a guilty smile. "John was an excellent artist."

    "At any rate I do know that was initially a problem years ago. He said it wasn't powered by electricity but it wasn't P.P.E. either. It was one of the issues he was trying to tackle. He had proposed converting it to a fashion of Technowizardary but even that requires an understanding of it's entire functions. I'm guessing he must have discovered a proper fuel for it. Where and what I don't know. As soon as I took the case, we wanted to hide it. Once I understood the forces at work I wanted to get it somewhere it couldn't be tracked. Broken Door was the best place that I could think of. I didn't have time to study it unfortunately"


    Weiss

    "As far as Bogg and Elizabeth go, I'm sure they will rejoin us shortly. I wanted to separate Elizabeth to better evaluate you. And speaking of Bogg, there he is now." he says pointing to a door from which a crack is observed. Seeing that he has been outted, the Larmac emerges from it. Not a normal Larmac posture, he looks thin... for a Larmac... and haggard. Stress is evident upon his visage.

    Ronith

    Whyne thinks about Ronith's offer for a moment. She hesitates for a moment before accepting the deal. "I accept your terms." It's clear that she understands the reality of kidnap, torture and possibly death. Lup who has been mostly quiet speaks up in a wavering voice. "You know, if you want to provoke them, why use Elizabeth? As far as they know Connor is here. All Elizabeth would offer them is leverage. Connor however is their target."
    User avatar
    Virtus
    Game Master
     
    Posts: 211
    Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Grant Latham » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:29 am

    (rolls carried)

    We are all still a little on edge with the unknown nature of the Sunaj, along with Whyne's and Horne's known shape-changing ability we are unsure of whom to trust. Still, even with what Horne has shared, we know the answers lie through Dwoemer and they know facts and people which provide credence to what they are saying. We need to risk a little knowledge, Grant thinks.


    He clears his throat, "We found these pages back in Connor's rooms at the Collegiate Arcane." He reaches in to his bag and pulls out the handful of pages they had retrieved. "There are a series of numbers on them." Grant activates his own telepathic ability to ensure that Sir Ronith and Beltin are aware of what the numbers mean. Before Watcher left, he, it, said that it had determined that the numbers on the pages were directions from a main gate. Main gate may mean where the Broken Door is, or once through it, where the object Connor is looking for can be found. To Weiss, Barracuda and Ashlynn he says, Be careful at the windows, if they have been having Bogg and 'Connor' make regular appearances, our faces may clue our enemies into realizing we are not in the APC any longer.

    Watchers Decryption wrote:From his deciphering it starts the reader from a main gate from where 1123 steps are taken to the north, then east 356 steps and on. So the instructions read for pages creating a map that Watcher plots in its memory. The numbers on the pages seem to have some significance to something at the terminus but what is not described.
    Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

    Info
    H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

    Constant Special Abilities
    • Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

    Equipped Gear of Note
    MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
    6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
    User avatar
    Grant Latham
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 282
    Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
    Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Ashlynn » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 am

    Perception: 55% 1d100 = 98 (FAIL)

    JIC: 1d20 = 3
    1d100 = 74

    Beltin wrote:Yes, Weiss. Without doubt. I will try to position myself to check on Elizabeth. I sensed Connor was uncomfortable in his reunion with Elizabeth. Hardly the response one would expect with meeting your significant other after time apart. And his seeming unfamiliarity with Whynne is also suspect. My suspicions are that this may not be the actual Connor McGrath, but rather some reasonable facsimile. We are, after all, within a fortress brimming with magic. It would not be beyond the realm of possibility that a powerful mage, dragon, or other supernatural being is trying to pass themselves off as Connor McGrath. When I touched Bogg's mind earlier, he said, 'You shouldn't be here. Go away! No one can enter. They are everywhere and can be anyone.'. What if he didn't mean enemies that were trying to breach the perimeter, as I initially expected, but rather enemies that had already breached and were holding him hostage. After all, Bogg is not here to greet us.


    Ashlynn nearly jumps when she receives the telepathic transmission from Beltin. It's been a while since anyone has communicated with her that way, and she finds it at once intrusive and familiar. Upon 'hearing' his suspicions that the Connor may not be THE Connor, she looks at him with suspicion also. However, she is distracted from applying her discerning eye to the situation by Beltin's play to go and see Elizabeth.

    Ronith wrote:Our headquarters bombed.


    Ashlynn blushes at this, still embarrassed at her role in the affair.

    Ronith wrote:"But make no mistake. We are not leaving these grounds until you tell me what the Hel is going on, what you found, and what these Sunaj want."


    Ashlynn nods in agreement, but keeps her hand away from her laser sword (with some exercise of effort).

    Weiss wrote:“Ash, stay focused inside the building. Might be about to open the can of worms. Be ready to back me up. Don’t know about you, but I suspect most of these people are magic users or similar considering the city we are in. I also don’t think any of them are what they seem. The job always finds ways to get us on edge, best way to deal is to the job and deal with the emotional stuff later."


    Ashlynn nods at Weiss, not willing to speak aloud again. What'd Hagbard used to say - 'Clowns to the left, jokers to the right. And here I am stuck with you'? At Weiss' mention of 'emotional stuff', Ashlynn blushes anew, realizing she has been taking Elizabeth's situation very personally. She resolves to try to be more professional.

    As Connor transforms into Horne, confirming Beltin's suspicions, Ashlynn lets out an audible gasp. "I KNEW IT!" She says, although she didn't. That explains the less-than-warm reception with Elizabeth. No longer under the delusion that this is Connor McGrath, Ashlynn applies her skills of perception anew to the newly-revealed Mr. Horne.

    Eyeball a Fella 68% 1d100 = 43 (SUCCESS)

    Horne wrote:"Human lives are so fleeting so as to be wasted like this."


    Ashlynn cocks her head at this. "'Human' lives? What are you, then?"

    Horne wrote:"Ah yes, Bogg. He's upstairs. We've already fended off one attack just last night but we've been expecting them for quite a while actually. I'm rather surprised it has taken this long. Bogg's been making regular appearances at the window as have myself in Connor's likeness."

    With regards to torture, I mean it literally. Connor and his father have been very tight lipped about the whole thing. Even for me extracting information from his has been difficult. Connor and his father had a failed teleport that landed them in the grasp of Otoxolyth, a Splugorth known for its hatred of the Coalition. John's journal was with them when they were captured. The deep encryption was a temptation to strong to be ignored. So they forced information out of them, something Splugorth tend to be very good at.

    As far as Thulabrax, it was a vampire intelligence. I was part of the force that brought it down, including the Celestials whom I would later join. Of course that was many years ago."


    Ashlynn rins giddily upon learning that Bogg is upstairs, apparently well. Though she feels some remorse at having apparently repossessed his truck. She turns to Weiss and grimaces. "We repo'ed his truck. Hope he's not mad. But I'm glad he's not dead!" Turning back to Horne, she adds, "Bogg I mean, not the Splugorth. We didn't repo a truck from a Splugorth. I mean... how weird would that be?"

    Upon hearing that Bogg escorted Connor from Merctown to Dweomer on foot, she learns a new respect for the Larmac. At a minimum, we can get him back to Merctown after all this is over, and maybe get him his truck back, if it hasn't been sold again already.

    Ronith wrote:"Then there we shall go. If you have a picture of Connor, and/or something that belonged to him, that could also help us track him down. I trust that I have your word Mrs. McGrath will remain safe here, under your care? ..."Ah, Ashlynn. We need the clothing Elizabeth was wearing when she came in with us- the outerwear that is. Can you see if she would be willing to part with it?"


    "Right on." Ashlynn says, and heads the way Horne took Elizabeth. "On it."

    Ashlynn will find wherever Elizabeth has been stashed, calling out for her. "YO! Elizabeth! We got a plan and you need to drop trou for it to work! Elizabeth! Liz?"

    When she finds her, Ashlynn will knock before entering. "Hey... So... Sir Ronith wants to use our shapechanger to mimic your appearance, so you're seen leaving with us, but you'll actually stay safe here. But... uh... They need your clothes. I'm sure you can switch clothes with Alari... or they have something here you can wear. Or... did you bring a change of clothes in your luggage?"

    Invoke Trust: 40% 1d100 = 92 (FAIL)

    "We're... uh... Sir Ronith says we're going to find Connor. Track him down and bring him back." She shifts uncomfortably. "I... I don't like when family members go missing. It's kinda personal for me. So... I'm gonna do my best to bring him back."

    Invoke Trust: 40% 1d100 = 34 (SUCCESS)
    Ashlynn
    AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

    H.P.: 13/31
    S.D.C.: 68/68


    NG-A8 Scout Armor
    M.D.C. by Location
    • Helmet: 35/35
    • Arms: 25/25 each
    • Legs: 40/40 each
    • Main Body: 18/50
    Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
    User avatar
    Ashlynn
    Gold Level Patron
    Gold Level Patron
     
    Posts: 110
    Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

    Re: Beyond Broken Door

    Postby Ronith » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:40 am

    JIC: 1d20 = 10, 1d100 = 24
    PER: 1d100 = 68 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

    Grant Latham wrote:Sir Ronith, do you still have the puzzle box we received from Sir Zero Moon? Perhaps Mr. Horne may have a means of opening it,

    OOC Comments
    I don't remember that we explicitly did anything with it, but I think it's reasonable that Ronith would have taken it back to MercTown with Zero Moon's permission. Likely he would have kept it on his person once the connection between our current case and the Celestials was revealed- my post will proceed on that assumption. I'll also update Ronith's sheet.


    Ronith produces the puzzle box from one of his pouches and sets it on the table. "I do not suppose you know how to open this, do you? It was given to me by Sir Zero Moon and may be related." If Horne answers in the negative, Ronith will replace the box where he keeps it.

    Virtus wrote:"You know, if you want to provoke them, why use Elizabeth? As far as they know Connor is here. All Elizabeth would offer them is leverage. Connor however is their target."
    Ronith pauses, debating how much they can afford to trust Whyne. Ah well. In for a penny, in for a pound as the humans used to say. Aloud, he adds "It is likely to be more dangerous for you, but we can keep you safe. Your courage is commendable, and I agree that posing as Connor is more likely to be effective. Mr. Horne, do you have a suitable outfit in Connor's size that we could borrow? Ideally something with defensive merit as well."
    I am better than you. You just don't know it.
    Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
    +12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
    Status
    ISP- 56/66; PPE- 57/57
    Talismans: AoI (2/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (2/3)

    Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
    User avatar
    Ronith
    Group Leader
     
    Posts: 473
    Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
    Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

    Previous

    Return to Heroes for Hire Adventure Forum

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest