Beyond Broken Door

The continuing adventures of an arrogant elf, and the masochists who join him on his fools errands.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:53 am

Perception 41% 1d100 = 35
JIC 1d20 = 11 1d100 = 82

Virtus wrote:Surprise unlike any ever seen on a Larmac's face lands upon his mug. "Wha..." he states dumbly. Ashlynn's exposition continues while he stands there like a fish gaping for air. Finally as Weiss begins explaining, understanding dawns upon him. The truck only phases him slight, but the loss of the Gorsins seems to strike him hard. His sunken eyes seem even more dejected. "I wish I had never taken this job. But once I wuz in, I wuz in. Connor has straight lost it. I don't blame him though. This stuff iz all wrong. Sorry to worry Mrs. Gorsin. I always liked her. Even Yanso. I didn't know him real good but itz nice to know you got people thinkin'of yuz, know wud I mean? I don't know if I'd go messing with them guys though. If it wuzzn't fur Connor's magics, we'd done been offed. He hired me to drive to this place. I'm good with maps and cars. When he gave me the advance, I put the down payment on the truck, figuring the job would be done pretty soon. Then stuff started turning funny. Connor got all would up. Started seeing things. Even I did after a bit. So he had me ditch the truck and then had me follow him. Made it real clear that bad things were after us. He had me stow the truck somewhere out of sight. We warned one of his friends, Steph something or another. After we left we ran into one of those demons. He stuck them to the ground and we ran. Rather than the gate, we headed for the wall. He made it so we could fly so we could go over the wall. I was thinkin there's no way that was going to work with the Defenders and all but he said he'd bet the Defenders weren't going to show up right now. I'm not sure what that meant, but he was right. Up and over, but we kept ourselves close to the ground for all we could move. Once his magics wore off we were in the farmlands. But we didn't stop, just kept movin and made sure to not talk to no one. Once we hit the forests it got better and worse. We rarely saw anyone but we saw lots of ...things. We got lost. Had a lot of trouble with edible food. Ran into some bandits. He was injured twice bad enough we had to stop for a while. It took us almost two months to get here. Worst of all, we probably only ate once a day! We literally ate bugs and roots. He mentioned catching a rabbit or deer but that meant someone was going to have to clean it. He didn't know how and that was just too much work for being on the road as well. That and if he had, it might have bought something really nasty down on us."



I'm sorry Weiss sighs, hearing Bogg's tale of a simple job resulting in him being dragged into an awful situation, “You’ve had an horrendous time getting here and still when you thought you were safe. it hasn't stopped and looked like no end in sight. However ..." Weiss shifts his rifle in his hands to emphasize his point, "going up against people like this is what we do and we are are very good at it. You will be able to go home." There was an element of bravado in what Weiss says, but at this point, he wants to give hope to a person who looks like he is about to fall apart.


Virtus wrote:Weiss asks Horne about Broken door, particularly navigating it. Horne in a matter-of-fact way says, "Deadly. It's piled with junk at the entrance as if people didn't want to step inside and simply shoved their things in there, one after another. So much junk infact, the entrance is now a maze of changing tunnels through a mountain of discarded items. Many of tunnels are made by giant worms that are trapped in that realm. There are undead, demons, failed experiments and unnamed horrors that have been trapped in there for who knows how long. Magic is slow to regenerate too. Beyond and underneath the junk is the remnants of the town that was here before Dweomer. It's an odd and dangerous place."


"How wide and how tall are these tunnels?” John asks, contemplating possible methods of access and egress; would they have space to take the Blue Beauty in? Should they sneak around?. All important decisions for them to decide before getting there. “It’s the sort of thing that determines tactics and equipment. Most of us don’t have the ability to fly around and how much firepower we can bring to bear."

He thinks about what was said about the worms and remembers an old movie with giant worms in it he'd seen during a layover somewhere whilst waiting for an operation to start.
“And how hostile are these worms? Are they likely to try and eat us?” He had visions of the Blue Beauty stuck inside a worm’s gut, trying to blast his way out before it digested him.

Grant Latham wrote:Grant nods as Weiss brings up navigating in the pocket dimension. "John, that's a very good point. Thanks for bring it up." I


Yup, not just the driver Weiss smirks inside his head, sometimes its worth not cutting out the rest of us when we have something to offer.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:24 am

JIC: 1d20 = 18, 1d100 = 13
PER: 1d100 = 21 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

Grant Latham wrote:"Do we want to split into two groups? One headed to the Broken Door, the other leading the Sunaj on a merry chase? Leading them to the door seems like a bad move,"
Ronith has been known to split the team when the situation calls for it, but after a moment's thought he shakes his head. "It is not clear whether their objective ends with that which is within Broken Door, or with Connor and his knowledge of the Wither Gate. Furthermore they may well have the manpower to follow both teams, in which case they would locate Broken Door anyways and we would be at reduced strength to stop them."

"If Broken Door is as labyrinthine as Horne says, the Sunaj may be unwilling to let us take 'Connor' into it. Even if they cannot be baited into an ambush" ...Because that worked so well last time. "Whyne can serve as a distraction inside, help us divert the Sunaj from both the manor and the real Connor. If we can split them up, it gives us a chance to end this once and for all."

Virtus wrote:"You charge the door as you would an other magic object. Focus and channel."
Ronith frowns. "How long does the charge last once activated? We can either set sentries or wait for them inside- they have to enter through that door. Grant, Beltin, do either of you have a way we could ward the door so that we will know if the Sunaj decide to follow us in?"

Grant Latham wrote:"Sir Ronith, I need about 15 minutes at the nexus," he says.
"You shall have it, Grant; more even, if you want to build up your reserves. We may need you at capacity to avoid being trapped on the other side of the door. As far as aerial support, one of the others can use my hovercycle. I suspect that I shall be needed on the ground."

Ronith turns to the team. "Anything else, or shall we get underway? Grant needs to visit the ley line nexus. From there, I suggest we proceed to Broken Door. No subtlety required- if the Sunaj wish to challenge us again, let them."
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 56/66; PPE- 57/57
Talismans: AoI (2/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:44 am

(rolls carried)

Weiss wrote:"How wide and how tall are these tunnels?” John asks, contemplating possible methods of access and egress; would they have space to take the Blue Beauty in? Should they sneak around?. All important decisions for them to decide before getting there. “It’s the sort of thing that determines tactics and equipment. Most of us don’t have the ability to fly around and how much firepower we can bring to bear."

He thinks about what was said about the worms and remembers an old movie with giant worms in it he'd seen during a layover somewhere whilst waiting for an operation to start. “And how hostile are these worms? Are they likely to try and eat us?” He had visions of the Blue Beauty stuck inside a worm’s gut, trying to blast his way out before it digested him.


Mr. Horne gave us a street address, Grant muses, he also mentioned it's at least partly of the original town that used to be where Dweomer now stands. It's probably just a shadowy reflection of Dwoemer.

Sir Ronith wrote:"Grant, Beltin, do either of you have a way we could ward the door so that we will know if the Sunaj decide to follow us in?"


Grant looks back at the knight as he was focused on Weiss' question about what lay beyond the door. "Yes, I can set a mystical alarm that I should be able to sense on either side of the door. Mr. Horne's home with it's many wards has given me some insight as well, I believe I could create a possible booby-trap on the other side of the door to hinder anyone who enters or tries to exit before us."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Beltin Delhomme » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:52 am

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 55/72%
JIC: 1d20 = 14| 1d100 = 31%
-----------------------------------

Current Status
  • N-F20A Medium Force Field [on] (75/75 MDC)
  • NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
ISP: 225/288
SDC: 69/69
HP: 41/41
Conditions (constant): Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)
Conditions (temporary):
  • Psionic Seeking (Elizabeth). 25.50 min. 9 mile range.


Virtus wrote:Beltin requests to search her mind. She doesn't seem open to that thought at all. "Do I have any control of what I show you? I don't mind sharing some thoughts but others are mine and mine alone. Little I have is precious to me, but my memories are among those." she says to Beltin. She isn't upset but she is clear in communication. Beltin can see that she is exhibiting signs of stress fatigue. Even from a half hour before she seems to be more weary.

Beltin nods in acquiescence. "That is plain to see. I will not pressure you further. Please do know that we will try our hardest to return your husband." If allowed, he will give her hand a small squeeze of assurance before leaving.

Unclear of what more preparations he can do in advance of their departure, Beltin mills about with the others in solemn quiet. He seems very obviously troubled by their current predicament. There are simply too many unknowns right now. And it seems every attempt I make to contribute is met with a dead end. I am clearly not asking the right questions. Or am not making proper requests. Perhaps I have lost my center and need to spend some time in meditation to regain it. Despite his inclination to withdraw, Beltin shakes off the notion. No. We don't have time for that right now. I have to keep my wits about me. The lives of others may depend upon it.

Grant Latham wrote:
Sir Ronith wrote:"Grant, Beltin, do either of you have a way we could ward the door so that we will know if the Sunaj decide to follow us in?"


Grant looks back at the knight as he was focused on Weiss' question about what lay beyond the door. "Yes, I can set a mystical alarm that I should be able to sense on either side of the door. Mr. Horne's home with it's many wards has given me some insight as well, I believe I could create a possible booby-trap on the other side of the door to hinder anyone who enters or tries to exit before us."

Beltin shakes his head at Sir Ronith's question, "Grant's idea is the most elegant one. I can't think of any psionics that would be anywhere close to equivalent to the mystical alarm that would ward the door. " The young mind melter briefly looks down at the symbols gifted to him by his wife Marit, "I don't believe any of Marit's protections were designed to be used in such a fashion either."

Otherwise, Beltin will comply with deployment of the team as per Sir Ronith's instructions. He is sad that his attempts to acquire the following failed:
  • Get a physical representation (e.g. picture or personal item) of Connor.
  • Get more information about the dimensions and characteristics of whatever item Connor is pursuing.
Beltin Delhomme - H4H's psychic Swiss-army knife | Explorer Points

Status
    -N-F20A Medium Force Field [off] (75/75 MDC)
    -NG Stalker Suit (12/12 MDC)
    ISP: 258/258
    SDC: 69/69
    HP: 36/36

Constant effects
Sixth Sense, Radiate Nature [focused], Sense Supernatural Evil and Magic Energy (900 ft, 90%... 1900 ft when supernatural force is using supernatural abilities and/or magic)

Image
User avatar
Beltin Delhomme
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Heroes for Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Barrcuda and Linda Best

She nods with a cock to her head indicating that she understands Barracuda's assertion that their foes have something to fear. Replying to the question about Posey she adds "Hmm. Well she's well meaning but a bit mean. She seems to hate her work but keeps taking jobs. Max Jones is an adrenaline junkie that has super human reflexes. He's fun to watch but a bit self absorbed."

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 4:50pm
Climate: 60F, partly cloudy
Visibility: 1 mile
Terrain: Interior of Horne's Manor
Ley Line within 1 mile
Moderate radio traffic
Magic in heavy use. Detectable everywhere.


Grant

Horne answers Grant's question about magic effects. "I've never heard of any reduced effects, just slow regeneration." The nexus in the city is controlled of course, but his standing as a Lord Magus will give him clearance. Opening a portal to Broken door might be able to be done once he makes his way there but currently he has not seen it.

Ashlynn

Her question about time flow gets a curious response from Horne. He rubs his chin and thinks before responding, "You know, I don't know. To my knowledge, no but I don't know anyone who has spent significant time there."

Weiss

Horne says, "They shift in size all the time. I've seen some probably fifty foot in diameter and other only big enough to crawl though. A tunnel that was there yesterday may not be there today. I would also exercise caution in the tunnels. They can collapse. The worms tend to be very hostile an eat anything made out of flesh they can find."

Ronith

"The door is an instant use item. You charge it an it activates the portal. The portal once energized lasts thirty three minutes. After which the gate will collapse and the door needs to be shut and re-energized.

Beltin

Elizabeth does give Beltin a small jewelry box. "Here some of my favorite photos from our wedding and first few years we were married. It has some letters as well when we were courting. I pray you can help him."

Regarding the case Connor went to retrieve, Horne says it's the size of a large brief case. 2ftx2ftx1ft. It weighs about seventy five pounds It contains six tubes inside of it. That's all I know about it.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:53 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 6/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 7/1d100 = 37

Comic Talk:
Linda Best wrote:"Hmm. Well she's well meaning but a bit mean. She seems to hate her work but keeps taking jobs. Max Jones is an adrenaline junkie that has super human reflexes. He's fun to watch but a bit self absorbed."

"Hmm. Sounds annoying, if I'm being honest. Still, it'd probably be good for me and Ash... I mean Mega KillRocket Superstar, to meet them. We could compare origin stories, chat about our old teams and homes. If you get a hold of them, have them send word to the Heroes For Hire in MercTown. I'm sure we could find them a nice place to stay while we meet up. Maybe go on an adventure together. Thanks Linda! Great meeting you."

Inside:
Barracuda's head spins with the sheer magnitude of what they are about to undertake. Wait, we're going through a magic door that some magic gods used to put the evil things they didn't want the world to have to deal with but a wizard put something there and that's why we got attacked by the Sunaj and we're going to go there and get the thing and the wizard and maybe fight some evil stuff?! Barracuda turns to Ashlynn and mouths the words "This is awesome" and then goes back to listening to the plan.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:48 pm

JIC: 1d20 = 2, 1d100 = 32
PER: 1d100 = 78 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)

To Grant, Ronith says "At the ley line nexus, get enough energy to open the door twice if need be. If you can hold that much. If not, we shall make do." When the rest of the team is finished with their conversations and ready to proceed, Ronith asks Horne to teleport them all back to the APC. There, he will set the team's first course as the nexus.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 56/66; PPE- 57/57
Talismans: AoI (2/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Perception 41% 1d100 = 52
JIC 1d100 = 85 1d20 = 4

Virtus wrote:Horne says, "They shift in size all the time. I've seen some probably fifty foot in diameter and other only big enough to crawl though. A tunnel that was there yesterday may not be there today. I would also exercise caution in the tunnels. They can collapse. The worms tend to be very hostile an eat anything made out of flesh they can find."


Weiss thinks about this for a second and sighs. Great, so we have absolutely no idea if I can fit the Blue Beauty in the area. That's going to be fun to get through.

Ronith wrote:When the rest of the team is finished with their conversations and ready to proceed, Ronith asks Horne to teleport them all back to the APC. There, he will set the team's first course as the nexus.


Weiss says goodbye to the people in the mansion and reassures Boggs that they will get him home.

Weiss gets back into the driver's seat as they arrive back in the APC. He runs the explosive sensor over the APC and surrounding area just to make sure nobody had hidden anything onboard whilst they were away. Hadn't been long, but better safe than sorry.

OOC Comments
Sensory Equipment 69% 1d100 = 34


"Sir Ronith," he speaks up as he maneuvers the APC through the streets, relying on Grant to tell him the best route to the nexus, "considering the variable nature of the tunnels, do you want me to bring the Blue Beauty with us into the Broken Door. Sounds like it might be a little hit and miss regarding any issues her presence might cause."
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 am

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 5
JIC: 1d20 = 15, 1d100 = 27

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 61/78
  • P.P.E.: 514/610
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Being Near a Ley line, within two miles, increases the range and duration of spells by 50%.
  • Decipher Magic | HU2 321 | 4 P.P.E. | 8 min | Read magic symbols/runes at 94%. Can't be used to learn how to make a circle or a ward, but should be able to interpret the symbols
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 P.P.E. | 135' r | 8 min | Mind Block/Alter Aura/Protection from Magic will block spell.
  • See Wards | PF2 193 | 8 P.P.E. | 180' | 32 min | See active wards, how many, general sense of power. Area of effect
  • Telepathy | RUE 177 | 4 I.S.P. | Surface Thoughts: 120' Two-way Telepathic: 800' | 12 min


Mr. Horne wrote:Horne answers Grant's question about magic effects. "I've never heard of any reduced effects, just slow regeneration."


Grant nods, I'll just need to take enough energy with me to compensate.

As the team wraps up the discussion, he says his good byes and good lucks. "I hope we are successful and are all able to come back here safe and sound to celebrate."

Sir Ronith wrote:To Grant, Ronith says "At the ley line nexus, get enough energy to open the door twice if need be. If you can hold that much. If not, we shall make do." When the rest of the team is finished with their conversations and ready to proceed, Ronith asks Horne to teleport them all back to the APC. There, he will set the team's first course as the nexus.


"At the minimum, I plan to have stored enough to open the door three times," the mage responds.

Once back in the APC he waits for Weiss to finish his scan, trusting that between his efforts and both Beltin's and Sir Ronith's psychic abilities any imminent danger will be detect. He finds his seat near Weiss as they get under way, guiding him along, based on the directions they've been given and his sense of where the nexus should be located. Once at the nexus he goes out and requests permission to draw energy from the nexus, then begins his preparations.

PPE Drawing Recap wrote:Once there he creates two 800 P.P.E. Energy Spheres and puts them into his satchel. He also takes a few minutes to absorb and replenish his own reserve (5.75 min per sphere, can absorb 160 P.P.E. per minute at a nexus - if undisturbed, he should be able to get to his max capacity in about 7 minutes.)
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Linda Best

Linda bids Barracuda farewell as he rejoins the others in the APC .((prior to Horne's residence))

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 5:08pm
Climate: 58F, clear skies
Visibility: 1 mile
Terrain: Streets of Dweomer
Ley Line within 1 mile
Moderate radio traffic
Magic in heavy use. Detectable everywhere.


With ease, Lup opens a portal that moves everyone back to the APC. Mr Horne holds a hand up in farewell as everyone steps through the portal. Systems seem normal on the APC. There is still a crowd, though now mostly gawkers and idle folk with nothing better to do. The security outside the gates have settled into routine, moving along those who get too curious.

The APC gets under way as they move to the Nexus. The buildings and grounds become noticeably more carefully crafted and ornate as they approach the area Grant knows to be home to a stone pyramid that controls this nexus. Not surprisingly the area is heavily guarded but some of the city's most skilled Magus. Two Controllers atop Ice Drake Automaton's guard the entrance. One of the greets the APC as Heroes for Hire arrives. Upon confirming Grant's identity they instruct Weiss to park in a nearby lot. The APC still draws scowls for many people who are familiar with its origins.

A tall, handsome man that looks like he had stepped off of the cover of a harlequin romance novel greets Grant personally. "Greetings Magus Latham. Step up to the first landing and I'll open the flow up." Assuming Grant does as instructed, the man stands at the base, holding forth both his hands forcefully. The pyramid hums pleasantly as it glows with a blue light. Grant finds full access to the nexus' ample energies.

Whyne is clearly a professional. There are a few cues that indicate stress. Of course she has been awake for a long time and has probably had much less exhausting days. None the less she appears collected.

Accomplishing his goal of gathering P.P.E. Grant can return to the APC.

((Assuming Grant returns, layout what actions taken to lure their foes into the open))
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:56 pm

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 32
JIC: 1d20 = 8, 1d100 = 79

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 61/78
  • P.P.E.: 1507/610 (Hold excess for 22 min)
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Being at a ley line nexus point or within 200 feet of a nexus point triples the range, duration, and damage of magic spells. The Mage can draw upon 20 P.P.E. (Double for LLW & LLR) every 15 seconds. The mage gets a +2 to save vs magic and HF. Spell Strength is +1. P.P.E. Recovery Rate is 20 per 1/2 hour without meditation.
  • Energy Sphere (84/500 P.P.E.) Duration: 29/30 days
  • Energy Sphere (500/500 P.P.E.) Duration: 29/30 days
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 72 min | 150/150 M.D.C. | Regenerates 1d6 M.D.C./melee round, complete environmental protection, 1/2 damage from energy.
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 480 min | Fly 50 mph, +1 parry, +2 dodge, +2 damage diving attack
  • Tongues | BOM 114 | 72 min | Speak and understand all languages at 98%
  • Farseeing | MA 9 | 24 min | 6 miles | Can see a license plate up to max distance, magnification adjusts automatically
  • Infrared Vision | MA 9 | 120 min | 3000' | See through 4" S.D.C. .5" light M.D.C. material. 1" dirt. 1' water or heavy M.D.C.
  • Mystic Invisibility | MA 17 | 120 min | Undetectable by psionics or magic. Includes Psi-Stalker/Dog boy or similar. No aura
  • Nightvision | MA 9 | 144 min | 3600' | Works in non-magical darkness
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 24 min | 1200' | Can see astral beings, entities, elementals, ghosts, objects, forces and creatures that are or can turn invisible even if no form per se.
  • See Wards | HUGM 182 | 96 min | 360' | See active wards, how many, general sense of power.
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 42 min | 600' r | Mind Block/Alter Aura/Protection from Magic will block spell


As they pull up to the pyramid, Grant says, "If we are going to draw the Sunaj out, we are going to need to be a bit obvious about what we are doing. That means that our 'McGrath' will need to be front and center. Don't take me wrong, Ms Whyne, while you are the bait, I have no desire to see you killed. I think we need to actually be protecting you throughout, they know we are going to be a hard target, as such we must make sure we are one. I suspect they will want to hit us just as we get to the door. Or right after we go through. Once I have finished, I'll call you all into the pyramid so I may place some protective magics upon you all." He listens as the others suggest alternatives.

...

At the pyramid:


Grant does a slight bow to the man who was wearing the mask. "Thank you, sir for access to the nexus." As they enter the pyramid, he feels his connection to the ley lines return to normal intensity. He breathes in deeply as if he could hold the energy physically in his lungs. "Hello my friend," Grant says to the lines of the nexus. "I need your help." He turns to the fellow watching him. "I plan to create two energy spheres, and then overcharge my own personal capacity. I will need access to the nexus power to cast some protective enchantments."

Grant moves to the center of the room and then picks one leg off the ground, then the other, now floating relaxed. The Lord Magi shakes his arms and shoulders to loosen the knots and tilts his head back and forth to help loosen the neck muscles, then draws the energy. After a few minutes, he focus his minds on the words of power and creates the first energy sphere and let's it float up to his right shoulder. Then a few minutes later, he creates the second and lets it float over his left shoulder.

The monitor watches interest on his face on what is usually a mundane task. He looks at his watch as he sees it's been more than the normal handful of minutes and that Grant is still to drawing in power. The swirl of energy spinning fast around him like a drain in a sink. Finally after 10 minutes Grant opens his eyes, a slightly glazed look to them, but his voice is clear. "There, that should do it, thank you again." He opens his pouches and pulls out the almost depleted energy sphere with 84 P.P.E. and one of the 500 P.P.E. energy spheres and exchanges them with the two 800 P.P.E. spheres.

He moves out of the center of the nexus and calls his team into the pyramid. "Each of you step forward so I can layer the magic upon you." Using the boosting power of the nexus he casts Invincible Armor , Fly as an Eagle (2 by touch), Sustain (2 by touch), and Tongues on everyone (Sir Ronith, Beltin, Barracuda, Ashlynn, Weiss, Whyne, and himself. "This magic should at the very least last long enough to get to the Broken Door."

He casts Farseeing, Infrared Vision, Mystic Invisibility, Nightvision, See the Invisible, Sense Evil, and See Wards on himself (45 P.P.E.). Most of these can not be cast on another, they are too useful not to share, I'll have to make more talismans when time permits.

Once the magic has been cast he rejoins everyone back in the APC for the trip down to the Broken Door.

P.P.E. Spend: 210 (Invincible Armor) + 100 (Fly as an Eagle) + 48 (Sustain) + 45 P.P.E. (Self Buffs) = 303 P.P.E. (1507 P.P.E. remaining for 22 min)

For everyone to add to temporary abilities:

Code: Select all
[list][*]Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 72 min | 150/150 M.D.C. | Regenerates 1d6 M.D.C./melee round, complete environmental protection, 1/2 damage from energy.
[*]Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
[*]Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 480 min | Fly 50 mph, +1 parry, +2 dodge, +2 damage diving attack
[*]Tongues | BOM 114 | 72 min | Speak and understand all languages at 98%[/list]
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Perception 41% 1d100 = 57
JIC 1d20 = 2 1d100 = 32

Grant Latham wrote:As they pull up to the pyramid, Grant says, "If we are going to draw the Sunaj out, we are going to need to be a bit obvious about what we are doing. That means that our 'McGrath' will need to be front and center. Don't take me wrong, Ms Whyne, while you are the bait, I have no desire to see you killed. I think we need to actually be protecting you throughout, they know we are going to be a hard target, as such we must make sure we are one. I suspect they will want to hit us just as we get to the door. Or right after we go through. Once I have finished, I'll call you all into the pyramid so I may place some protective magics upon you all." He listens as the others suggest alternatives.



Looking at the others, he drummed his fingers on the console.
"As I am guessing most of you want to fight outside of the APC, I can either utilise the firepower of our vehicle or enter combat with the Blue Beauty." He held his hands out waiting for any suggestions which to do, "I say this because judging by our last encounter with them, I highly doubt we are going to come out of this fight unscathed."

Weiss' gaze fell across the group as he wondered how good they actually were. Grant is the only one I’ve seen in action, so I actually have no idea how competent they. 3 of them are capable of overwhelming Sir Ronith and last time, the Haven got partially blown to pieces. As confident as I was with Boggs, do we have the power to pull this off?

“Biggest problem is seeing them coming. Depending on what the magic hides, sensors may or may not be able to pick them up. Presumably those of you whom are magically, psychically,” he looks at Grant, Beltin, Whyne and Sir Ronith, before looking at Ben and Ash, “whatevery in terms of your abilities, some of you can see them or do something to sense their location.” He points to the rear of the APC.
“The Blue Beauty has a flame retardant missile; that stuff sticks to things like mad and is a bugger to get off. Give me a location and I can hit an area of 20 feet with one. Should make it easier to spot them and hit them."

He thought about the fight outside the gates and what they had to deal with.

“I wonder what they will bring to bear on us though. Last time it was only a few of those masked Sunaj that entered the Haven, whilst they had power armour. Reviewing some of the information in the Beauty and things I’ve heard in the past, there is a lot of potential heavy robot and power armour the Splugorth have access to.” Weiss mused on the situation, “it could potentially get very messy very quickly. As we are here, might be worth finding out how quickly the Dweomer defense forces can react to the location we intend to have the ambush."



After discussions are complete, Weiss follows Grant inside, looking at the Nexus under control, but keeping his mouth quiet.

Grant Latham wrote:He moves out of the center of the nexus and calls his team into the pyramid. "Each of you step forward so I can layer the magic upon you." Using the boosting power of the nexus he casts Invincible Armor , Fly as an Eagle (2 by touch), Sustain (2 by touch), and Tongues on everyone (Sir Ronith, Beltin, Barracuda, Ashlynn, Weiss, Whyne, and himself. "This magic should at the very least last long enough to get to the Broken Door."


Never had this amount of magic cast on me before he muses
“Thank you, though I do have a language translator for this tongues spell, though it ain’t that useful in the middle of a firefight."
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Previous

Return to Heroes for Hire Adventure Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests