Beyond Broken Door

The continuing adventures of an arrogant elf, and the masochists who join him on his fools errands.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Alays » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:55 am

Weiss wrote: "Did he leave with you?"... "And are you able to contact them?"


"Yeah, they all left once we were hit by those worms in the tunnels. They are actually supposed to contact me once they get all healed up. They still got to give me my payment."

Jack wrote:"You got a good point there. More questions will only serve to keep us here longer. Besides, if we preserved this beuty it would only draw more tourists to this god forsaken place. I wouldn't want to be the main attraction. Well, what is dead but undead? If they move aim for the heads. I saw it in a movie once.


"Main attraction? Movie? You're not talking about something I have done have, are you? Undead? No, I don't think that was me. I'll keep the head shot thing in mind, just in case."


Ronith wrote: "Always a prudent suggestion. We stay single file- I take the lead. Alays, you are behind me, followed by Jack, then Weiss, then Grant, Ashlynn, and Barracuda at the rear. Everyone, keep an eye on that tower- if it starts doing anything unusual, we find the thickest cover we can and hit the dirt. Check your environmental seals before going further, too."


"Roger that. I'll keep my eyes on the tower if you keep your eyes those bodies. I got a funny feeling bout them."
User avatar
Alays
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:54 pm

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 2:52am
Climate: 80F, grey sky, no wind, no sun, ambient light only
Visibility: 5 miles
Terrain: Urban Decay
no radio traffic
no magic detectable


Ronith leads the way through the minefield of bodies. The sheer discomfort of the environment keeps them on edge. The cyber-knight's keen eyes immediately notice movement from the first corpse. That in itself is saying something. Movement might be a slightly stretch. It shifts and then slowly moves an arm towards him. Sunken, lifeless eye sockets don't even make it to their target as if its reaching for something in the dark. The undead is easily dispatched. And so it goes through the street.

Grant can sense a short spike in magic energy as they approach. It comes to him that the undead might be in a sort of energy saving stasis until a fresh meal comes along. However their energy levels are practically non-existent. The movement reminds him of an electric toy whose batteries only have a remnant of energy. It's possible that even a little bit of ambient magic energy could be a spark to light a raging fire in this place.

Barracuda scores a collectible and then scoots along, bringing up the rear. The place is depressing on several levels, but one that strikes him is that this place will never be able to move past this state, forever stuck in this nothing.

Ashlynn and Weiss puzzle over this world. It's clear that it wasn't created in the sense of being built to be like it is. Rather, it's like a place to put unwanted things or things to be forgotten.

Ronith follows the bodies like a macabre breadcrumb trail. It thins for a bit as the Heroes dart between buildings keeping out of sight of the tower. Turning a corner onto 10th street a house immediately catches Ronith's attention. Corpses are piled high around the building, blotting out the windows. Everyone is sure this is the house Horne spoke of. There is no sign of McGrath outside of the home. It is impossible to tell if the house has been compromised but there isn't any obvious sign entry into the home. Hundreds of corpses look as if they were trying to desperately enter the house and then suddenly could move no longer. Deep scratches cover the exterior walls, no doubt from the lifeless hands of the corpses.

Alays and Jack move on watching the terrain for threats. Like the others that tower holds some menace.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:12 am

Perception: 76% /81% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 23 (SUCCESS)
JIC: 1d20 = 18
1d100 = 47

Jack wrote:"I do not like them Sam I am. I will not eat green eggs and ham."


Ashlynn tilts her head, not getting the reference. "Is that... human-compatible food?"

Jack wrote:"Just in case you can't see, I'm winking at you."


Ashlynn smiles. "OH. HUMOR. I get that, and what's more, I appreciate it."

Ronith wrote:"Alays, you are behind me, followed by Jack, then Weiss, then Grant, Ashlynn, and Barracuda at the rear."


Ashlynn looks at 'Cuda. "We're the butt. We're the team's butt." She giggles, and takes her position in the marching order.

Alays wrote:"Main attraction? Movie? You're not talking about something I have done have, are you? Undead? No, I don't think that was me. I'll keep the head shot thing in mind, just in case."


Ashlynn looks at Alays. Whispering, she says, "I think he's been eating spoiled dairy..."

Otherwise, Ashlynn marches on, keeping her eyes and ears open (see perception roll above) and radar active for possible ambushes, and helping dispatch the restless undead as necessary.

OOC Comments
Radar rolls
Interpret Shapes 90% 1d100 = 81 (SUCCESS)
Estimate Distance 92% 1d100 = 73 (SUCCESS)
Estimate Direction 92% 1d100 = 40 (SUCCESS)
Estimate Speed 72% 1d100 = 94 (FAIL)
Estimate Exact Location 82% 1d100 = 95 (FAIL)

Heightened hearing rolls
Estimate distance of sound 70% 1d100 = 54 (SUCCESS)
Estimate speed and direction of approach 60% 1d100 = 9 (SUCCESS)
Recognize voice or sound (requires concentration) 50% 1d100 = 94 (FAIL)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 8/45
S.D.C.: 8/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:41 am

JIC: 1d20 = 19, 1d100 = 12
PER: 1d100 = 20 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)
Conditions
[list][*]Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
Prowl- 1d100 = 6 vs. 86% (+20% if hidden in shadows; EBA penalty included)
To enter the house silently

Ronith will calmly walk past the fallen bodies. His initial instinct is to dispatch them with his swords, but he pauses as Grant comes up with a theory as to why the zombies are so quiescent. If they are static because this area is so starved for magical power, would exposing them to my swords reverse the effect somehow? Best not to chance it. Sheathing his main swords, Ronith will instead summon a pair of glowing red sabers, and dispatch every zombie that he sees moving with the psi-swords instead (should the number of bodies make that impractical, he will just clear a broad swatch along their route).

When they arrive at the house, Ronith holds up his hand for the group to come to a halt, and also motions for silence. He will listen for a moment, and debate reaching out with his psionic senses. But all of the zombies present might interfere with the sensing and make it a wasted effort. Ronith also debates adopting a more tactical approach, but ultimately decides that with the Sunaj dead or captured, the team should be able to handle anything inside. Getting in and out quickly, and being able to make a speedy retreat if the zombies wake back up, is a higher priority.

With that in mind, Ronith subvocalizes into his radio. "We are going in. Keep your formations tight- we may need to get out of here quickly." Ronith will dispel his psi-blades (the better for sneaking), and lead the way inside.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 20/66; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 54/86; EBA and cyber-armor destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:23 am

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 7
JIC: 1d20 = 18, 1d100 = 31

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 14
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 47/78
  • P.P.E.: 548/610
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Energy Sphere (300/800 P.P.E.) Duration: 16/16 days
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.



Sense Magic in Use 800'
See Magical Energy: Line of sight (1000')
Land Navigation 102% vs 1d100 = 25 | Stay on course
Navigation 106% vs 1d100 = 99 | Use the map
Wilderness Survival 74% vs 1d100 = 31 | Shelter if needed, compatible wilderness dangers


"Fricking Sunaj!" Grant curses under his breath as he sees Sir Ronith dispatch the 8th or 9th zombie they've come across. The magical entropy in this place is almost absolute. Another spike of energy from that one as it focus on Sir Ronith. But barely detectable. Grant watches closely as Sir Ronith nears the next body, examining it's reaction, then looking at how the bodies a bit farther away react to John and Jack as they pass. They must be more senstive to magical energy than life force. And to think I have to thank the Sunaj for forcing me to conserve my magic now! If I cast any magic, they might all jump up thinking the all you can buffet is open for business.

Over the radio, Grant puts out a hypothesis that he has no desire to test, "These wretches appear to be able to sense the magical energy or items we have on us. I hate to say it, but don't activate the talismans you have unless you have no other choice. If I need to start casting magic, you may want to keep your distance if these things all react at once."

Grant considers his options. I can mask the PPE that I have psionically, or cast Mystic Invisibility which should work too, though that seems like using gasoline to put out a fire. We are almost to the building, oh crap, there hundreds of these things here. "Sir Ronith, are you sure..." Grant shakes his head and his words trails off. When there is fire every where, you might as well step into the pan and cook thoroughly. Grant keeps up his position in the group, his hands in fists and his lips pressed firmly together to avoid inadvertently casting any magic.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Alays » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:33 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 71 / 39%
JIC: 1d20 = 15
JIC: 1d100 = 46
Conditions: Sixth Sense, Dissociative identity disorder: Ivor=Orange, Lillian=Pink, Jessie=Purple


As Alays ahrpoches the house, he can't help but be in awe of the bodies gathered up round the house. The menacing presence of the tower dwarfed by the potential onslaught. Keeping his weapon on the ready, he follows Ronith's hand signals.

I hope the bottom of this shirt doesn't fall out. Stuck in here with those things, that definitely does NOT sound like any fun at all. Even though it would make an Interesting tale to tell if we ever get back.

Ronith wrote:Ronith subvocalizes into his radio. "We are going in. Keep your formations tight- we may need to get out of here quickly."


Alays nods his head in agreement and signals Ronith to live forward. All his senses are on high alert, making sure nothing will surprise them. He will matches Roniths steps and movements as they proceed into the house.
User avatar
Alays
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:56 am

Perception: 1d100 = 87
JIC: 1d20 = 10 and 1d100 = 6

Jack marches along, slightly shaken by the amount of undead around them. He walks, dodges the undead and shoot the ones he can with his bow. Great Jack. This will be fun Jack. Now I'm going to be the lead in Day of the Dead, he thinks to himself. Ronith calls over the radio.

Ronith wrote:With that in mind, Ronith subvocalizes into his radio. "We are going in. Keep your formations tight- we may need to get out of here quickly." Ronith will dispel his psi-blades (the better for sneaking), and lead the way inside.


Jack nods and replies, "You want me to sit back and try take some out with my bow before we get right up on em?" Maybe I can clear away some of the opposition before we are surrounded, he thinks to himself.

Jack hears Grant come over the radio.

Grant Latham wrote:Over the radio, Grant puts out a hypothesis that he has no desire to test, "These wretches appear to be able to sense the magical energy or items we have on us. I hate to say it, but don't activate the talismans you have unless you have no other choice. If I need to start casting magic, you may want to keep your distance if these things all react at once."


Damn, that sucks. I was looking forward to playing with some of that fancy magic. Let's hope it doesn't get to the point that I need it, Jack thinks to himself. "Copy that, Thanks for the heads up." Jack looks down at the talisman, Maybe I can use this thing to play fetch with the zombies. Jack smiles a wily smile. This could be bad or this could be good

"Hey, what if we activate one of these talisman and toss it in a direction and see if it draws the zombies off the house?" Might work. They seem to have been drawn to whatever is in the house. Might need someone to drag it along to lead them away. His smile fades at the secondary thought.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:42 pm

(rolls carried)

Jack McDermott wrote:"Hey, what if we activate one of these talisman and toss it in a direction and see if it draws the zombies off the house?" Might work. They seem to have been drawn to whatever is in the house. Might need someone to drag it along to lead them away. His smile fades at the secondary thought.


"Maybe," Grant replies uncertainly over the radio. "The talisman casts the magic on something else though. I would expect these creatures to react when the talisman is activated, but many of us should have at least a sustain enchantment active still, and I've got this great big ball of energy floating over my shoulder and they do not seem to be reacting strongly. They seem to be able to sense our residual enchantments when we are physically near. I suspect, that they won't necessarily follow the talisman, but move towards where they sensed a flare of magical energy. So one of us activates something magical, and then moves out of sight once they begin moving towards us." I could cast a series of thunderclaps or blinding flashes to get them moving, then mask my magical signature entirely and meet back up with the team possibly. Dangerous, but still might be necessary depending on what we find in that building ahead.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:50 pm

Perception: 50% 1d100 = 38
JIC 1d100 = 53 1d20 = 10

current effects

OOC Comments
Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


Alays wrote:"Yeah, they all left once we were hit by those worms in the tunnels. They are actually supposed to contact me once they get all healed up. They still got to give me my payment."


"Interesting, guess we should pay them a visit if they get in contact."


"This place feels stranger and stranger," Weiss remarks as he looks over the bridge, "where did they build a bridge like this here?"

As the corpse reacts to their presence, possibly due to the magic sword at his belt and Grant's spell still active on him, Weiss backs up from the corpse.
Keep away from the corpses he decides, glad that his face was covered to cover his reaction of disgust. He'd never dealt with a zombie up close before; stood on a few, but messing around with corpses was just ughhh.

"Now I wish i had brought my vibrosword now."
He pulls out his survival knife and attempts to stab one in the head to see the effect.

"Don't shoot them unless you have to. Conserve your ammo he suggests to the others, "Alays, keep those grenades handy," he tells the crazy, "I suspect we will have to shoot our way out of here. Some area effect weapons to clear a path will be helpful." He hopes he is wrong, but in his experience, better to be prepared for everything to go FUBARed.


Grant Latham wrote:"These wretches appear to be able to sense the magical energy or items we have on us. I hate to say it, but don't activate the talismans you have unless you have no other choice. If I need to start casting magic, you may want to keep your distance if these things all react at once."


"Grant, what is the best way to deal with these things?" he asks, rather not having to find out through trial and error. Make use of your experts and hope they know what they are talking about.

As they approach the location, Weiss brings up his rifle ready to fire.
This of course is not going to go horribly wrong is it.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:40 pm

(Rolls carried)

Lore: Demons & Monsters 119% vs 1d100 = 94 | Knowledge of Zombies and/or these specific types

Weiss wrote:"Grant, what is the best way to deal with these things?" he asks, rather not having to find out through trial and error. Make use of your experts and hope they know what they are talking about.


The Lord Magi moves closer Weiss so he can speak softly, he air quotes his first words, "Normally", he says, "a zombie is all but impervious most mundane weaponry like bullets or hand to hand weapons. The two best choices for someone without magic is silver and fire. Subtle magic, like most of what I know is all but useless. But these zombies are different, a normal zombie doesn't have any special senses, but these ones," he points down at one recently dispatched by Sir Ronith, "appear to be drawn to magic. It could be that the magic animating them is slowly leaching away in this dimensional backwater, or," a look of distaste mixed with a bit of horror as the idea comes to his mind, "or this is what happens to those trapped here that die."

Grant shakes his head to clear the image, "Let's not test that theory, alright?"


[i]Could these be those fortune seekers whose luck finally ran out in this desolate place?

OOC Comments
Something wierd is going on with the italics command.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:06 am

Jack McDermott wrote:Perception: Original post: 1d100 = 87
JIC: Original post: 1d20 = 10 and Original post: 1d100 = 6


Jack stands next to Weis in the order Sir Rontih directed. He listens to Grant answer his question.

Grant Latham wrote:"or this is what happens to those trapped here that die."

Grant shakes his head to clear the image, "Let's not test that theory, alright?"


Test it, hell no. Jack shutters at the thought that this could be the end. What kind of hell life would that be. Eternal life, mindless, waiting for some source of energy to give you the tiniest resemblance of life. The thought almost makes Jack feel good about the life he currently has. I guess it can always be worse.

Speaking to the two closely, "We seam to be killing them by normal means so far. Could they be different in other ways too?
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 2:57am
Climate: 80F, grey sky, no wind, no sun, ambient light only
Visibility: 5 miles
Terrain: Urban Decay
no radio traffic
no magic detectable


Ronith, followed by the rest of Heroes for Hire move towards the house. Debris litters this area like the others. Empty homes, quiet yards and still children's swings keep vigil on this bleak landscape. Forlorn lawns look overgrown but nothing here has returned to a wild state, just unkempt. The pile of corpses is unmoving at this point. There appear to be several hundred pressed against the house on every side. Even the windows aren't clearly visible. The undead throng make a ramp that nearly reaches the top of the house. The walls and roof are intact and it looks like at least the windows are boarded near the top.

Approaching the mass, it begins to slowly move, each one vaguely reaching out towards not only Ronith but the others as they draw near. Soon a few dozen of the corpses undulate in slow motion, reacting to the new presence as they approach.

Circling the house there doesn't appear to be an clear way inside short of breaching the roof or pulling the undead away one at a time. How do you wish to enter?
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:05 pm

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 72
JIC: 1d20 = 4, 1d100 = 44

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 14
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 47/78
  • P.P.E.: 548/610
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Energy Sphere (300/800 P.P.E.) Duration: 16/16 days
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


Intelligence 67% vs 1d100 = 70 | Figure out where to best leverage his magic.

Grant raises both hands and puts them behind his head and lets out a long breath as he looks at the mass of bodies. Hundreds, maybe even a thousand bodies and they all lead the way to this house.

He lowers his hands and says, "Nothing Mr. Horne said to us implied that the magic we do have would work abnormally, I could probably open a portal inside bypassing the horde, but then...we'd be inside surrounded by a thousand zombies. I could also cast it on the ground under some of the zombies causing them to potentially fall through to some other spot, but not enough to cover the area around the whole house."

The mage taps his chin. "They are reacting to our proximity, if the rest of us move out of site and one or two of us get close enough to make them move, maybe we can draw them away...but there's so many, to get their attention and hold it will have to be mighty tasty." He turns and looks up at the tower, "And we can't forget that tower, who or what could be in there."

"I still think I need to limit the use of my magic, I suspect we will need it soon. But casting Mystic Portal to get inside would be a good use of what every I have left. If we want can get their attention in a more conventional means, that would be better. If that doesn't work, then I am almost positive I could rile them up with some evocation magic."

"How about we just make some noise first? If they don't react, then let's just shouting to get the attention of whomever is in there." Grant says as a final suggestion.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:23 am

An interesting discovery

Along the way, Jack has been taking opportunities to headshot the unmoving undead in the distance, which he does with relative ease. However, he tries to do so with one that moves as they near, to which his mundane arrow glances off, skittering on the broken pavement. It would appear that once the zombies are energized enough to move they become resistant to mundane weapons, but while they are dormant they can still be damaged by conventional means.

Weiss too discovers that his mundane knife is uneffective on the moving undead. Something is occurring between their inactive state and active that is changing their qualities.

Vibroknives prove to be effective however as do magic weapons regardless of the state of the undead.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:01 am

Perception: 1d100 = 44
JIC: 1d20 = 3 & 1d100 = 80

Jack looks at the house in amazement. We have to get in and out. This is going to be a mess, he thinks to himself. He looks at the group to gauge their feel of the situation.

Grant Latham wrote:He lowers his hands and says, "Nothing Mr. Horne said to us implied that the magic we do have would work abnormally, I could probably open a portal inside bypassing the horde, but then...we'd be inside surrounded by a thousand zombies. I could also cast it on the ground under some of the zombies causing them to potentially fall through to some other spot, but not enough to cover the area around the whole house."

The mage taps his chin. "They are reacting to our proximity, if the rest of us move out of site and one or two of us get close enough to make them move, maybe we can draw them away...but there's so many, to get their attention and hold it will have to be mighty tasty." He turns and looks up at the tower, "And we can't forget that tower, who or what could be in there."

"I still think I need to limit the use of my magic, I suspect we will need it soon. But casting Mystic Portal to get inside would be a good use of what every I have left. If we want can get their attention in a more conventional means, that would be better. If that doesn't work, then I am almost positive I could rile them up with some evocation magic."

"How about we just make some noise first? If they don't react, then let's just shouting to get the attention of whomever is in there." Grant says as a final suggestion.


Jack listens to Grant's suggestions. Seems maybe we are all in the dark around here. Maybe a few tests to see what happens. Jack looks around for a house he can climb up on top of, preferably something with a good distance from the horde and the Heroes. If he finds this he climbs up to get a good vantage point to shoot the zombies with his bow. He takes a couple shots to see if the zombies react to members of their throng falling still and dead.

Climbing 65% vs 1d100 = 7 - climb up on the roof

If they do not react to this, Jack calls over the radio, "It might take a minute or two but we should be able to clear them out if we all concentrate our efforts on good clean shots."

If they do react to the falling zombies near them he radios, "They react to movement too, not just our presence. We may be able to lead them away without wasting any precious magic."

Afterwards Jack climbs back down and rejoins the group, he looks to Ronith and says, "What's the plan boss man? Hard charging or freaky sneaky? Just tell me what position you want me to play." Well, momma said there would be days like this... maybe not exactly like this. Well, actually, she never mentioned zombies ever. Maybe it was the weird neighbor down the street who was always collecting guns and ammo. Yeah, Tom. I think his name was Tom. Tom said there would be days like this.

Lore: Magic --General Knowledge: 40% vs 1d100 = 70 - Can he remember anything import about zombies?

Taking back up his position as previously ordered by Ronith Jack keeps his bow trained on the horde ready to attack if they start moving toward the heroes. He watch the horde and looks at the surroundings and tries to think of some way they could trap the zombies. He looks for places they may be able to lure the horde into and barricade them in. He looks for possible pinch points someone may be able to bait them through while the others pick them off like fish in a barrel.

Trap Animals 55% vs 1d100 = 33 - Devise a trap for the zombies.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:37 am

JIC: 1d20 = 11, 1d100 = 44
PER: 1d100 = 99 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)
Conditions
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Multiple image | RUE P. 206 | 20 min | -4 to save, adds +2 Initiative/+2 dodge/+1 strike
Lore: Demon and Monster- 1d100 = 4 vs. 101%
To know that decapitations/headshots are the way to go here.
Climbing- 4d100:
24, 78, 56, 39
vs. 131%
For clambering about rooftops and staying out of the horde's reach
Tubmling- 8d100:
44, 17, 84, 54, 35, 39, 42, 17
vs. 101%
To get the most out of his jumping
Detect Ambush- 1d100 = 54 vs. 96%
Helping any of the others identify suitable 'sniper nests', or at least well-protected areas, for engaging the zombies

As they initially arrive at the house and spot the horde of zombies, Ronith draws up short- blades in front of him, ready to fight. As a piece of the horde slowly undulates towards the team, Ronith orders everyone back. "Withdraw for the moment. We need a plan before we proceed." As is typical, Ronith will be the last to fall back, and he will not hesitate to dispatch any zombies that get too close with his blades.

Ideally, they won't have to pull back far- just out of sight of the house and the zombies, where the team won't face any immediate pressure of bodies and the team can discuss things calmly.

Grant Latham wrote:"I still think I need to limit the use of my magic, I suspect we will need it soon. But casting Mystic Portal to get inside would be a good use of what every I have left. If we want can get their attention in a more conventional means, that would be better. If that doesn't work, then I am almost positive I could rile them up with some evocation magic...How about we just make some noise first? If they don't react, then let's just shouting to get the attention of whomever is in there." Grant says as a final suggestion.
Ronith shakes his head. "I want your teleportation spells in reserve Grant, in case we need to make a hasty exit or force some adversary to do the same. We have no way of knowing how many zombies are in this area, nor whether they will re-animate or otherwise react adversely to us achieving our objective. For the time being, this horde is occupied but easily distractable- we should take advantage of the opportunity to engage them on terrain and under conditions most favorable to us. I believe that that includes ways we can distract them without taxing your energies further."

"The last thing we want is for a horde of zombies to pursue us out of here, or worse, try to find its way into Dweomer. We do not even know if McGrath is capable of moving under his own power, nor what might happen with these zombies or any others nearby when we pull him out. If that house has held out this long, it can hold out a little longer while we thin their numbers."

As (if) Jack starts climbing, Ronith nods approvingly. "Jack has the right of it- it is clear from the state of the house that these zombies cannot scale heights appreciably well. Everyone fan out and pick a location that suits you- if you can, fire from the upper levels of one of these houses, but if not stay on the ground and in cover. The team shall create a 'kill zone' in the area while I draw the horde out. Any that get to close shall fall to Frostfang, but these houses look small enough that I can stay ahead of the sword. With my sidearm and some grenades, I believe that I can draw the horde away. As I do so, fire at will, but be prepared to withdraw if your position gets overrun. Zombies are challenging due to their numbers and their persistence- if we proceed with care we can nullify both advantages. We do not stop until their numbers are reduced to a level manageable in a head-to-head engagement."

"Ashlynn and Alays, I want the two of you placed near to our target. Be prepared to breach one of those upper-storey windows once we have drawn the horde away from the building. Proceed cautiously once you are inside, but try to find McGrath- or failing that, whatever it is that drew those zombies to this house."

"If there are no questions, take your positions and prepare to engage the enemy."

Ronith will give the others a few minutes to get into positions- upper stories where possible, behind cover where not, and relatively spread out (ideally, in such a way that Ronith will be able to let the zombies essentially chase him in a circle while everybody else takes pot-shots at them). As part of his own preparations Ronith will dispel his psi-swords, draw Frostfang, and pull one of the beehive grenades from his utility belt.

Once the team looks ready, Ronith will use his multiple image talisman, creating three identical images of himself even as he strides out to meet the zombies. He bellows in American, "COME, UNDEAD! LET ME RELEASE YOU FROM YOUR BONDAGE!" Once he's satisfied that he's gotten their attention (and that he can make full use of his beehive grenade without blowing a hole in the house they're after), Ronith will toss the grenade and start running to a neighboring house. He will leap onto its rooftop, and once secure draw his magefire pistol. There, he will take potshots at the horde until the house atop which he is perched is in danger of being overrun, or the remaining zombies display no interest in Ronith. He will then dismount to the ground, take a few more shots with his pistol, and repeat the process as needed. Should a large cluster of zombies prove threatening to the group (or resistant to his distraction), Ronith won't hesitate to deploy a second grenade. If, at any point, the horde is reduced to a number Ronith feels confident dispatching in hand to hand (say, a couple dozen?), he will abandon his distraction tactics, pull Skyrender from its sheath, and get to work. Once the zombies are dead, Ronith will take care to retrieve any grenades he used for later recharging (if something goes wrong, he will use telekinesis to do so).

Grenade tosses- 1d20+5 = 21, 1d20+5 = 21, 1d20+5 = 24
((Per chat, will skip sword strikes/pistol shots)).
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 20/66; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 54/86; EBA and cyber-armor destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 61/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 18/1d100 = 37

"This is so depressing. These were all somebody once. To have your fragmented spirit trapped in your motionless body like that, dead but not dead? Fuck man... Do you think they even have like, memories of this? Heavy."

Ashlynn wrote:
Ronith wrote:"Alays, you are behind me, followed by Jack, then Weiss, then Grant, Ashlynn, and Barracuda at the rear."


Ashlynn looks at 'Cuda. "We're the butt. We're the team's butt." She giggles, and takes her position in the marching order.

Barracuda is brought out of his depressive line of thought by Ashlynn's hilarious and infantile joke. "I call left butt. You're right butt."

Grant Latham wrote:
Weiss wrote:"Grant, what is the best way to deal with these things?"


The Lord Magi moves closer Weiss so he can speak softly, he air quotes his first words, "Normally", he says, "a zombie is all but impervious most mundane weaponry like bullets or hand to hand weapons. The two best choices for someone without magic is silver and fire. Subtle magic, like most of what I know is all but useless. But these zombies are different, a normal zombie doesn't have any special senses, but these ones," he points down at one recently dispatched by Sir Ronith, "appear to be drawn to magic. It could be that the magic animating them is slowly leaching away in this dimensional backwater, or," a look of distaste mixed with a bit of horror as the idea comes to his mind, "or this is what happens to those trapped here that die."


If Barracuda is able to hear their conversation (2x human hearing), he mentions "Not fire. I uh... really can't do fire, man."

Later, Ronith tells the team to get into firing position and Barracuda finds cover on ground. With an energized King Tide, he fires off bolts of energy every 15 seconds to take down one of the motionless zombies.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:36 am

Perception: 76% /81% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 65 (SUCCESS)
JIC: 1d20 = 9
1d100 = 82

As Ashlynn sees the pile of zombies around the building, she grimaces, twisting her mouth up in disgust.

Ronith wrote:Ashlynn and Alays, I want the two of you placed near to our target. Be prepared to breach one of those upper-storey windows once we have drawn the horde away from the building. Proceed cautiously once you are inside, but try to find McGrath- or failing that, whatever it is that drew those zombies to this house.

If there are no questions, take your positions and prepare to engage the enemy."


Ash looks to Alays. "I can reach that roof in like one bounce, and cut through with my laser sword unless there's hidden armor goodness under those shingles. Would you be able to get up there too?"

She takes up a position with some cover (if there's another building that offers a corner she can peer around for example) and watches as Ronith and the others work to draw the zombies' attention.

When the crowd of zombies clears enough for her to make a move, she says "I'm going for the roof. Come when you can and I'll see you inside, yeah?"

With that, she runs forward and uses super bounce (can bounce up to 48' high) to clear the zombies and land on the roof, hopefully not falling off in her landing.

Acrobatics (Sense of Balance) 84% 1d100 = 87 (to land with some dignity - FAIL)
Acrobatics (Sense of Balance) 84% 1d100 = 67 (to recover - SUCCESS)

That was not as catlike as I hoped it would be.

If Alays had rope, she carries an end of it with her.

She then draws her laser sword and flicks it on, cutting a hole near the ridge, and ties the rope (if she has it) around the ridge board or an upper rafter before dropping down.

If the roof proves more durable than she expects and she is unable to cut through, she lingers near the edge before reaching down and slicing through the boarding and glass of one of the windows, and climbs down in.

Climbing 100% 1d100 = 4 (CRIT. SUCCESS)

On the off chance she encounters McGrath immediately inside she flicks off her laser sword and raises her palms to him in a gesture of good will.

"Hi! I'm Ashlynn! We're the Heroes for Hire, and we're here to rescue you!"

Charm/Impress: 50% 1d100 = 64 (FAIL)
Invoke Trust: 40% 1d100 = 24 (SUCCESS)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 8/45
S.D.C.: 8/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:04 am

(rolls carried)


Grant nods in agreement at Sir Ronith's orders. This the time for others in the team to shine. I don't have much to contribute in this particular situation. It's strange to have a situation where magic isn't the answer, the Lord Magi thinks as he moves out of everyone's way. "I will find a spot with line of sight of the building, but clear of any zombies in the immediate vicinity," he says.

He considers turning invisible, but with the energy sphere over his should there doesn't seem much point. He pulls his pistol and crouches to limit his visibility to the creatures, if there is some partial cover to duck behind, he goes there. Grant checks over the TW device. Still feels charged despite how long it's been. The physical component of the blast may be able to knock them down or stagger them long enough for me to retreat. He sighs, If, no, once we get out of here, I think I need to invest in a non-magical weapons. Naruni weapons pack significant firepower, but maybe a projectile weapon would be better. I can stash the ammo in a dimensional pocket, so it won't be a burden. Maybe my team will have some ideas.

He waits patiently for the action to start. "Grant is in position," he says over the radio.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Alays » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:50 am

Perception: 1d100 = 11 / 39%
JIC: 1d20 = 20
JIC: 1d100 = 26
Conditions: Sixth Sense, Dissociative identity disorder: Ivor=Orange, Lillian=Pink, Jessie=Purple



Ronith wrote:"Ashlynn and Alays, I want the two of you placed near to our target. Be prepared to breach one of those upper-storey windows once we have drawn the horde away from the building. Proceed cautiously once you are inside, but try to find McGrath- or failing that, whatever it is that drew those zombies to this house."


”You betch’ya, boss. I'll be ready at a moments notice. We'll find McGrath if he's on there."

Ashlynn wrote:"I can reach that roof in like one bounce, and cut through with my laser sword unless there's hidden armor goodness under those shingles. Would you be able to get up there too?"


"Of course I would be able to to get up there. I won't be able to leap there in one leap like you can but at least two jumps should get me there."

Alays follows Ash like a shadow, matching speed and maneuvers. He watches intently as Ronith begins to cause a distraction.

Ashlynn wrote:"I'm going for the roof. Come when you can and I'll see you inside, yeah?"


"Yeah. I'll be on your six. Ladies first."

Alays gestures to let let Ash know he ready to follow. He follows her to the house. Once she bounces onto the roof, Alays uses his Enhanced Reflexes (10) before attempting to duplicate her actions. If the roof is to high for him to jump one motion, he will jump and land or catch one of the window sills and then proceed to jump a again to reach the roof and pull himself up. Once up on the roof Alays watches Ash try and slice a hole in the roof. If she is successful or not, Alays will follow her either way, keeping and eye out for the undead and shoot any the get close in the head.

If they are successful in finding McGrath, Alays will do his best to help rescue McGrath.

"My name is Alays. Now that pleasantries are out of the way, I suggest we make a hasty exodus. Unless we want to be like those outside."


Sense of Balance -1d100 = 49- 110% - to help with grabbing the window sill
Work Parallel Bars and Rings-1d100 = 27- 98% - to help with grabbing the window sill
Climbing/Rappelling-1d100 = 91- 110/100% - climb up on the roof
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: -1d100 = 20- 84%
User avatar
Alays
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:49 pm

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 3:15am
Climate: 80F, grey sky, no wind, no sun, ambient light only
Visibility: 5 miles
Terrain: Urban Decay
no radio traffic
no magic detectable


Ronith lays down the plan of action and everyone begins to move into position, climbing on nearby roofs to keep out of reach. Even counting on hands and feet everyone realizes that it's going to take a bit of ammo to really thin numbers. So accordingly everyone preps their preferred ammo. The harsh stare of the tall tower unnerves them, with few places to hide now that they are on rooftops.

Barracuda notes the sad state of this place. Corpses they may be, but once were someone. No one left to mourn them, not even the stones as there is no life in this place.

Alays has a keener eye than many at the time. He looks around and notices something. The path they took is easily seen. There is a slight increase in green and yellows on the ground where they, or perhaps more accurately, where Grant and Ronith have passed. He watches Ronith and from a distance it's easier to see the slight increase in color wherever he goes. It's not dramatic, but just noticeable when viewed from elevation. Grant too seems to have a similar impact.

Ronith uses his talisman and the effects are immediately noticeable to everyone. The first effect is that every Zombie within a hundred feet of him bolt upright. Not the slow undulation of before but a violent outburst of motion. They immediately begin stumbling towards him. For those on the rooftops they see a second effect. Within thirty feet of Ronith the environment blooms into color. Alays could almost swear he felt a breeze. The grass becomes more green and yellow, even the concrete reveals more details in color that would be unnoticed saved for the near sepia world around them.

They also notice something else. The color event seems to be elongating in it's area of effect slowly, almost like paint running on a canvas. The boldening colors create a sharp path as if being drawn towards something behind Alays. Alays follows the run and wheels around to guess where the colors are flowing, though he didn't need to guess. The streak is pointing towards that hideous tower. The color brought unreasoned cheer to everyone's heart but the tower quells it. It occurs to Grant that the use of a more significant magic might have tremendous effects here. That streaking will raise caution however. It's obvious something is pulling ambient magic.

Ronith, focused on the job at hand makes quick work pulling the zombies away. His beehives are grotesquely effective. Barracuda's words seem to echo loudly in memories. The next ten minutes is filled with weapons fire. There are indeed many, many zombies and more seem to have shown up. However, they prove to be little trouble to this crew. It's depressing work to Weiss and Jack as well, decimating these undead. All are well represented, young and old. But they do it. Once the throng is slimmed to a few dozen left, Ronith indicates for Ashlynn and Alays to get underway.

IT'S TIME

Deploying swiftly, they leave their perches, surmount the porch roof and force entry through the second floor. The house is ramshackle. The bodies of several zombies are in here, but beheaded and in the odd state of undecay. They quickly and cautiously find they way down stairs, noting heavy damage within the house, perhaps from magic if this was McGrath's doing. Working downstairs they find their first clue that someone is here. The foul smell like that of an outhouse. It's more the potent as there is almost no aromas in this world but then to be smacked with something so foul. It then occurs to both of them that there is someplace they haven't check; the attic.

It takes the two of them a bit to find the attic entry in an upstairs closet. They find it secured tightly, but only with mundane means. Ashlynn busts it off it's hinges. Climbing up into the attic they see boxes, old toys and clothes, forgotten pictures and more. Along with the visual, they smell unwashed foulness. Suddenly several things fall over in the far end of the attic. Watching their step, the two make their way between the ancient belongings towards a form in the dim lights. A gaunt man is laying on his side, desperately clutching a large container with six semi hexagonal chambers, roughly the size of a foot locker. He trembles violently and looks up in fear. Ashlynn and Alays greet him warmly for strangers but they are unsure if he can hear them. The man is certainly malnourished, dehydrated and in terrible fear. He seems to try holding up a wavering hand to fend them off, but lacks the strength. His sunken eyes are unfocused and drift between the both of you. Broken, parched lips seem to be trying to speak but only a whispering exhale escapes them. Breathing seems to be taking off of his effort.

There is no doubt however, this is, Connor McGrath.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:39 pm

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 85
JIC: 1d20 = 19, 1d100 = 72

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 14
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 47/78
  • P.P.E.: 548/610
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Energy Sphere (300/800 P.P.E.) Duration: 16/16 days
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


Lore: Magic (General) 114% vs 1d100 = 54 | Any additional deductions about the use of magic in this place.
Lore: Geomancy & Ley Lines 94% vs1d100 = 72 | Any similarities to what is happening to the way ley lines work.
Intelligence 67% vs 1d100 = 100 | Any tactical insight regarding what is happening with the magic.
Math: Advanced 114% vs 1d100 = 73 | How quickly is the magic flowing to the tower.
Land Navigation: 102% vs 1d100 = 62 | Estimating how far the tower is from their current location.

From his cover, he watches the magic ignite the land around Sir Ronith in color. The sight of even such a tiny amount of magic as released by the talisman and it's impact on this place emphasizes how empty it is. Grant is both fascinated and depressed by what he sees. Then the slaughter begins as his team matches mow the zombies down like so much wheat. He can't help shake his head, No way to know if we could even save these people.

As the Lord Magi watches the magical coloring of the landscape move towards the tower, he remembers something, "Q845," he whispers. The flow of magic in that dimension was more intense that anything he had ever felt, and here was something akin to the same thing. Could q845 be drawing magic from other dimensions, and that tower is the suction pump that does the work? His memories of q845 are both a combination of frustration and then ultimately joy as he learned more about magic in that place than he had his entire life prior to it. However, now, a bit of doubt filled his mind. This isn't right, even if it's meant to contain dangerous magic. These people were lured here with ideas of becoming rich or powerful, and then trapped as what magic they had was leached away. He turns to watch the color flow onward. What will happen when the magic reaches the tower?

When the last of the zombies in the immediate area are put down, Grant moves forward to the house. His MP-6 Firebolt pistol in a two handed grip but pointed down and away from him. He watches Alays and Ashlynn bound effortless up into the house and listens as they make their way through the house. When the noise finally stops, he waits a few seconds and then finds a crack in the boards over the windows, and in a hoarse whisper (like telling a child to be quiet in a public place), "Alays! Ashlynn! Are you alright? Did you find the Professor?"
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:44 am

Perception: 76% /81% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 95 (FAIL)
JIC: 1d20 = 16
1d100 = 37

Ashlynn's eyes widen when she sees McGrath in this condition. "Oh jeeze." Poor dude - how long have you been here?

First Aid 85% 1d100 = 28 (SUCCESS)

Sensing that he's badly dehydrated, she unclips her canteen from her harness and offers him water - encouraging him to drink slowly so as not to choke. "McGrath... Connor... Your wife sent us to find you... and bring you home. The rest of our team is outside, and as soon as we get you out of here we're gonna get you to safety."

Invoke Trust: 40% 1d100 = 59 (FAIL)

Ashlynn radios the team. "Hi! This is Ashlynn. We found McGrath, in the attic. He's in pretty rough shape so we're gonna carry him outta here. Whatever he was looking for..." she looks at the case he's clutching, "...looks like he found it. We'll bring it with us. See you soon! Bye!"

Turning to Alays she says "If you can carry him I'll carry the box-thingy. I don't think he's got the strength to walk."

She looks at the box to see if there's a way she can clip it to an attachment point on her harness and wear it like a backpack. If need be, she unclips her holsters from her harness and re-clips them to her utility belt. If she can clip it to her harness, she does, otherwise, she carries it, and begins to descend to the exit.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 8/45
S.D.C.: 8/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:33 am

Perception:1d100 = 2
JIC: 1d20 = 2and 1d100 = 47

As Rontih activates the talisman Jack sees the zombie heard come to life with a frightening jolt. Damn, didn’t expect it to be quite so effective. Probably best it was Ronith instead of me. Jack watches as the scene unfolds and is awe struck by the surreal blast of color that is created around Rontih. He watches it, reminiscent of an acid trip in his youth. Wow, that looks like a lava flow of melted crayons, he thinks to himself with some amusement. He almost forgets the plan, I need to get killing these damn things before the get to Ronith, he remembers as his brain snaps back to reality.

Jack raises his bow level with his line of sight and begins to unleash the wild bolts of energy from his bow. His worry less on accuracy and more on quantity he fires over and over and over. I need to kill as many of these as possible, is his only thought as he puts the poor soulless creatures down one after another.

Once the heard is slowly extinguished he lowers his bow. He hears Ashlynn over the radio.

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn radios the team. "Hi! This is Ashlynn. We found McGrath, in the attic. He's in pretty rough shape so we're gonna carry him outta here. Whatever he was looking for..." she looks at the case he's clutching, "...looks like he found it. We'll bring it with us. See you soon! Bye!"


”That is great news girl, now get your butts out here so we can head home. This place is starting to creep me out, he responds to Ashlyn over the radio. Starting, who the hell am I kidding. This place has been creeping me out. His thoughts slowly drift as he realizes he referred to that hell whole as home. He wonders, Has it really come to me thinking of it as home? Is it?

Jack stays on the roof, keeping on an eye on the surrounding he can from his vantage point. He watches for anything that might be a threat. I need to make sure we don’t get the ole banana in the tail pipe. A bad surprise could ruin our retreat. ”I’m holding position. I’ll watch for strangers. Let me know when its time to get the hell out of here, he calls on the radio. Jack watches, if anything remotely bad pops up he will not hesitate to fire on it with his bow.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:05 am

JIC: 1d20 = 1, 1d100 = 15
PER: 1d100 = 8 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)
Conditions
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
Paramedic- 1d100 = 63 vs. 111%
To ensure that McGrath is stabilized.
Charm/Impress- 1d100 = 56 vs. 100%
Trust/Intimidate- 1d100 = 39 vs. 60% (+30% to armed forces personnel)
To get McGrath to go with them.

Unless he is forewarned of the resurgence of the undead by his sixth sense, Ronith is momentarily caught off-guard and awkwardly half-stumbles back from the tide. He recovers quickly, however- reasoning (if his psionic senses didn't detect danger) that the zombies aren't that much of a threat. If, on the other hand, his sixth sense does go off Ronith is prepared, and smoothly leaps to the nearest rooftop. Either way, he keeps his self-congratulatory thoughts to himself. It appears abstaining from the use of magic was the correct choice.

Then, Ronith gets to work. Cognizant of at least some of his companions' reliance on a limited ammunition supply, Ronith gets as much of the job done using Frostfang as possible. This isn't Ronith's first time fighting the undead, but going to work against the animated corpses of what were clearly civilians when they were alive brings back unpleasant memories of the war in Tolkeen. Ronith sets his mouth in a grim line and keeps a tight lid on his self-control, but Barracuda and Grant might know the cyber-knight well enough to know that once it is over this battle has affected him more than most.

Ronith almost conceals the thick hitch in his voice as the last zombie falls and he gets on the radio. "Barracuda, on the house with me. We follow Ashlynn and Alays in. The rest of you, regroup outside the target and prepare for evac. Keep an eye out, even that low-level spell clearly had some effect and we don't want to be surprised by any more zombies drawn to the area." Ronith contemplates keeping his illusion spell active- the colors are a pleasant effect, and examining the relationship between the spell and the tower might shed some light on the nature of the former. But ultimately he decides that the risk of drawing additional zombies to the area is too great, and he dispels the multiple images of himself.

Assuming Alays (or anyone else who noticed the effect) reports the draining of the energies to the tower, Ronith nods. At least that is one question answered. Ronith will give the duo inside the house a minute or two to work, while he organizes the others, make sure everyone is uninjured, and sees to ammunition and so forth (as well as reclaiming his expended beehive grenades). Then, he and Barracuda will approach the door and knock.

Ashlynn wrote:"Hi! This is Ashlynn. We found McGrath, in the attic. He's in pretty rough shape so we're gonna carry him outta here. Whatever he was looking for...looks like he found it. We'll bring it with us. See you soon! Bye!"
Upon receiving Ashlynn's report, Ronith nods and replies. "If you can, make your way downstairs. The area is secure for the moment and Barracuda and I are making a more traditional ingress. If not, remain where you are and wait for our assistance." Ronith will waste no time in breaking down the door- with his supernatural strength it shouldn't be an issue, but if it is Frostfang and Skyrender will make sure that it isn't.

Once inside, Ronith will sheathe his blades and bound up the stairs until he meets the others. If Ashlynn and Alays have succeeded in convincing McGrath to go with them, Ronith will meet them on the stairs and take McGrath from Alays (unless the crazy makes it clear that McGrath won't slow her down very much, in which case he will draw his swords and act as escort). Otherwise, Ronith will climb up to the attic, and approach the haggard-looking figure cautiously, slowly and deliberately removing his helmet and looking McGrath square in the eye and addressing him with a gentle (for Ronith) tone. "Professor McGrath? I am Sir Ronith Turand. My company and I have been hired to retrieve you. You need not fear the Sunaj assassins- they have been dealt with. Your wife is in Dweomer and most eager to see you again, but we should make haste. May I offer you my assistance?"

Before leaving Ronith will perform a perfunctory medical examination on the fellow. Cognizant of the professor's condition, Ronith will be gentle and careful and examine McGrath only enough to make sure that he is stable enough to be moved. He will then address McGrath, "I can heal your condition somewhat, but not until we put some distance between you and that tower. I don't suppose there is anything you can tell us about how it works?"

Regardless of the answer, Ronith will then be ready to go. With a glance to verify that the case is in hand, he adds "Good work. Let us get out of here" and leads them back the way they came. "Jack, take point and guide us back. Ash you are with him; Barracuda take the rear. Stay close, keep moving, and keep sharp- we do not want to face any other unpleasant surprises this place may have to offer."
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 20/66; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 54/86; EBA and cyber-armor destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Alays » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:38 am

Perception: 1d100 = 76 / 39%
JIC: 1d20 = 14
JIC: 1d100 = 39
Conditions: Sixth Sense, Dissociative identity disorder: Ivor=Orange, Lillian=Pink, Jessie=Purple

Ashlynn wrote:"If you can carry him I'll carry the box-thingy. I don't think he's got the strength to walk."


"Sure thing but if more of these undead show up I'm going to have to put him down. I dont have multiple arms, otherwise I could. Lead the way and I'll be right on your tail."

Alays responds as he bends down to pick McGrath up. In McGrath's condition and Alays's strength, Alays should have not problems even if MvGrath resists. Sling him over his shoulder in a fireman carry position, Alays stands up and follows Ashlynn down out if the attic. Proceeding towards the exit they run into Ronith.

"I must confess that your fighting skills are much better than mine"

Alays speaks with some sadness to tone.

"I got McGrath, he's not that heavy, if you want keep the path out of here clear. Then we should be able to make a hasty exodus. I do t want to stay here any longer then we have to."

Alays let's Ronith examine and asks his questions to McGrath. After Ronith Is finished he will follow the trio out of the house.
User avatar
Alays
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 am

Jack McDermott wrote:Perception:Original post: 1d100 = 2
JIC: Original post: 1d20 = 2and Original post: 1d100 = 47


Hearing Ronith from the ground Jack climbs down off the roof after making one more sweeping look around to verify there is no new threat coming. Once he is down he pulls out the map he had been making on the trip in. He quickly gets his bearings and identifies the direction they need to go. "Well, this should be the way out, he says to the group. Gonna be a damn fine day once we are out of here, Jack thinks to himself.

Once he has his direction laid out he puts the map away so it is handy to grab should he need to look at it again. He pulls his bow tot he ready and take lead position. Once everyone is ready he will start leading the group back to the door they came in. Jack moves quickly as he wants nothing more than to get out of this strange place. He will watch to make sure everyone is keeping up as he goes. Jack also keeps and eye out for any hidden danger along the way. Feeling better now they are heading back Jack starts to make a return to his normal self. "Keep up people, don't want to leave any stragglers and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Choo choo. Let's get them doggies rolling."

Land Navigation 60% vs 1d100 = 49 - Lead the group out (would having map add bonus?)
Cross- Country Pacing - 40% vs 1d100 = 97 - Keep a pace to move fast!
Detect Ambush 45% vs 1d100 = 9 - Watch out for ambush along the way.
Detect Concealment 40% vs 1d100 = 73 - Look for anything of value on the way out.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:23 am

(rolls carried)

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn radios the team. "Hi! This is Ashlynn. We found McGrath, in the attic. He's in pretty rough shape so we're gonna carry him outta here. Whatever he was looking for..." she looks at the case he's clutching, "...looks like he found it. We'll bring it with us. See you soon! Bye!"


Grant jumps a bit at the sound in his ear. A look of sheepishness crosses his face as he stands hear the house his ear to the door trying to hear an answer. he holds his hand to his ear focusing on the responses between his team and Ashlynn.

He found it! And he's alive! Well, I knew he was alive, but still the journey to get here has been fraught with danger.

Save vs Insanity 1d20 = 6 vs 12 | Letting the dice gods decide how Grant will react when he sees McGrath and how pitiable his condition is.

When Alays or Sir Ronith come out holding the man, the sight and smell of the man trapped here for months is overwhelming. Grant moves forward, his hand moving back and forth tentatively, his disgust at what he's seeing to react, he spends precious magical energy and cast Cleanse on the Professor. And audible sigh escapes his lips as the grime and dirt on the man is magically washed away. As the splash of color radiates out, he realizes what he's done. "Sorry!" Not sorry. Grant looks around to see what reaction his magic has caused in the area around them.

"If there is something in that tower, they are going to know something is active here soon enough, two releases of magic at the same general location won't make much of a difference now," he says with a bit of defiance in his voice.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:25 am

Perception: 50% 1d100 = 71
JIC 1d100 = 18 1d20 = 14

As Weiss stabbed the zombie with his knife to find it had no effect, he backs up quickly, as he decides that being ripped apart by zombies was not in his best interest.

"Definitely a day I should have bought a load of explosives with me." he says mostly to himself

He draws his new sword and neatly decapitates the zombie at his feet. Otherwise he keeps some distance, as he notes that the zombies start moving when he comes close with his sword

As they realise that McGrath is inside a house surrounded by zombies, Weiss listens to the orders.

Ronith wrote:"Jack has the right of it- it is clear from the state of the house that these zombies cannot scale heights appreciably well. Everyone fan out and pick a location that suits you- if you can, fire from the upper levels of one of these houses, but if not stay on the ground and in cover. The team shall create a 'kill zone' in the area while I draw the horde out. Any that get to close shall fall to Frostfang, but these houses look small enough that I can stay ahead of the sword. With my sidearm and some grenades, I believe that I can draw the horde away. As I do so, fire at will, but be prepared to withdraw if your position gets overrun. Zombies are challenging due to their numbers and their persistence- if we proceed with care we can nullify both advantages. We do not stop until their numbers are reduced to a level manageable in a head-to-head engagement."


He moves to higher ground, clambering up the side of a building on top of a porch

Okay, these things don't look like they can take much punishment, but there is a frakking ton of them. Don't need heavy firepower, Weiss slings the plasma rifle to his back, swapping it for the L-20 that had been hanging there, thank frak that these things have a large ammo capacity.

With that, he takes careful aim, not wasting his shots by shooting single shots. Even so, taking down that many zombies substantially decreases his ammo supplies.

OOC Comments
3 e-clips emptied, 1 with ten shots remaining (25% if transferred to another weapon)



Ashlynn wrote:"Hi! This is Ashlynn. We found McGrath, in the attic. He's in pretty rough shape so we're gonna carry him outta here. Whatever he was looking for..." she looks at the case he's clutching, "...looks like he found it. We'll bring it with us. See you soon! Bye!"


"Careful Ash, we don't know if that box is dangerous at all." he warns her, "Frak for all we know, it could be leeching his lifeforce."

As the others head inside, he maintains position, watching as the colour leeches towards the tower. On top of his perch on the porch, he changes weapon over to the Plasma Rifle.

Considering how starved the zombies were, the presence of magic is going to attract attention. Whatever it is, it strikes me as being a lot bigger and nastier. And here I am without the Beauty. Zac, I am not dying in this place

Ronith wrote:"Barracuda, on the house with me. We follow Ashlynn and Alays in. The rest of you, regroup outside the target and prepare for evac. Keep an eye out, even that low-level spell clearly had some effect and we don't want to be surprised by any more zombies drawn to the area."



"Grant, any idea what's happening there?" he points towards the tower. Maybe the mage had a theory.

As they bring out McGrath, Weiss climbs down from the porch, but still keeps his weapon trained in the direction of the tower.

"That definitely what he came for?" he asks as they prep to leave.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:26 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 77/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 17/1d100 = 48

Barracuda keeps it up with blasting away at the zombies until they are all downed.

Ronith wrote:"Barracuda, on the house with me. We follow Ashlynn and Alays in."


Barracuda meets up with Ronith and waits by the door with him for the others to open it OR for it to be forced open. Walking in, Barracuda notices immediately the smell of unflushed toilets and refuse. "That's a rough smell. Whoof. Let's get this done." He heads upstairs to carry whatever it was McGrath was guarding while the others carry McGrath himself.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:55 am

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 3:15am
Climate: 80F, grey sky, no wind, no sun, ambient light only
Visibility: 5 miles
Terrain: Urban Decay
no radio traffic
no magic detectable


Heroes for Hire breech the house to meet up with Ashlynn and Alays. Ronith approaches and speaks to McGrath, now being carried by Alays. McGrath's head lulls around to vaguely look at the cyberknight. He tries to speak something, but his voice is weak and parched. Only a hoarse whisper escapes.

Grant's pity falls on McGrath in his terrible state. The mage cleanses the filthy man. A bloom of color surrounds them, bringing the old walls to life. The effect begins running horizontally along the walls in the same direction, no doubt towards the tower. Grant fells a trembling touch as McGrath places a papery hand and lengthly nails on his wrist and shakes his head in a pleading way. He tries to speak again, but to no avail. McGrath does not withdraw his hand until Grant pulls away.

Barracuda grabs the case and the group makes a hasty egress. Jack shoots a few new zombies that enter the area. The team spreads out and makes their way hastily towards the broken door. Moving quickly, they easily make their way back to the mountain of trash. They stand at the base near the convenience store where Barracuda found his clock. A new problem comes to mind, that of navigating the tunnels without the benefit of flight. Though McGrath is still unable to speak, the man's alarm remains lodged in Grant's mind as well as Weiss'.

How do you wish to proceed?

Butcher's bill.

Ammo. About 150 shots per person were expended, but I will allow everyone to retain one magazine of shots in reserve is if that would be more than ammo on hand, allowing Jack to pickup the rest with the bow.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:37 pm

JIC: 1d20 = 16, 1d100 = 3
PER: 1d100 = 34 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)
Conditions
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
Alays wrote:"I must confess that your fighting skills are much better than mine"
Ronith is, of course, wholly unsurprised. "Of course. Perhaps if you stick with us we shall have the opportunity to train you."

At Weiss' query, Ronith shrugs. "Seems logical, but we shall find out soon enough."

As they retreat, Ronith observes McGrath's reaction to Grant's spellcasting. "Grant, I think you had best lay off of the magic until we are back in Dweomer proper. We shall have to try our hands at navigating the tunnels without flight unless you think that once inside we shall be far enough away from that tower to risk all of the spellcasting that entails."

Assuming Grant's response is negative, Ronith unsheathes his blades again. "Jack, you take point. Find us the fastest route out of here. Barracuda, back him up. Ashlynn, you take the case. Then Alays with McGrath, Grant, Weiss, and myself. Double-time- let us leave this accursed place." Now bringing up the rear, Ronith will endeavor to keep his psychic senses sharp and his eyes on both the front and the rear of the party- if they are attacked head on he will literally leap into the fray. If they are attacked from the rear Ronith will endeavor to hold off any hostiles and buy the others a chance to get clear."[/b]
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 20/66; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 54/86; EBA and cyber-armor destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Previous

Return to Heroes for Hire Adventure Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron