Beyond Broken Door

The continuing adventures of an arrogant elf, and the masochists who join him on his fools errands.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Wed May 01, 2019 10:08 am

Ronith wrote:JIC: Original post: 1d20 = 16, Original post: 1d100 = 3
PER: Original post: 1d100 = 34 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)
Conditions
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


After receiving Grant's telepathic updates, Ronith nods and says "Proceed." Laying one hand on McGrath (firmly but gently), Ronith will use empathic transmission: peacefulness on McGrath ((-6 ISP)). In a soothing voice, he says "Just relax, Professor. Close your eyes and we shall have you reunited with your wife in no time." I dislike these manipulations of civilians, but his intransigence grows tiresome. I hope he will forgive me once we escape.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 4/66; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 54/86; EBA and cyber-armor destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Wed May 01, 2019 12:57 pm

rolls carried

Weiss hefts up his rifle as Grant loses his rag with McGrath.

Sounds like that is not going well as a conversation. If everything goes FUBAR, going to need to react quickly. He readies his pistol holster ready to quickly draw it just in case.

"Be ready just in case." he says to the others, "who knows what we are about to walk into. Might be fine. Might be all manner of hell raining down on us. So keep your wits about you, get to cover or make some. Protect the assets; in this case I mean McGrath who quite frankly a stiff wind could blow down and the box which I hate to say it might actually be important.

He stays near the back of the group, as he places his hand on whomever is closest in front of him. His body turns more to face behind them. Weiss is intent on covering their passage through the portal near Sir Ronith. With his weapons, he has a range advantage over the others to provide covering fire.

Coming home Zac! Coming home.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Wed May 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Jack McDermott wrote:Perception: Original post: 1d100 = 83
JIC: Original post: 1d20 = 17 and Original post: 1d100 = 50


Jack tries to follow along with the one sided conversation and when he sees Grant getting upset he finally just gives up. Never like charades, he thinks to himself. Then grant directs everyone to get ready.

Grant Latham wrote:"Everyone, gather close together, and grab a shoulder of the person in front of you. I'd have a weapon ready in the the other hand in case we don't arrive where I intend."


Great, we're all about to die and dude wants to dance. Just wonderful. Well I guess if you have to go..., he looks for ashlynn walks up behind her and puts his hand on her shoulder. "Cha cha cha" he says to her. "Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on you backside," he finishes with a wink. Why the heck do you keep winking with this damn helmet on dude? You are so lucky the others don't know your doing that. What a dip.

Jack turns to keep a watchful eye out behind them. "This horrible bad thing he warned about. Was it really, really, really horrible? Or just mildly horrible? Cause I think we got mildly Horrible. For real, we would be good with mildly Horrible. Just don't know I am in the mood for like crazy horrible," Jack says to Grant as he concentrates on the spell to get them out of there. Maybe not the right time for that particular question, he thinks with a smile. "See you maniacs on the other side!"
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Thu May 02, 2019 4:45 am

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 3:25am
Climate: 50F, night skies, clear stars, gentle breeze
Visibility: 1 miles
Terrain: Warehouse District
Active Radio Traffic
Moderate magic activity within 500ft


The team concludes their discussions of exit strategy as McGrath gibbers away madly at the mind of Grant. Ronith places his hand upon the professor's forehead and moves his mind to a more peaceful state. The professor eyes close and seems to pass out without his hyper anxiety and paranoia driving him.

Grant prepares the magic to teleport the team to the door. He focuses on precision as he knows that failure could be disastrous. The team only glimpses a spectacular color bloom before the world folds in on itself and a new terrain expands. Before them is the door.

Wasting no time, the Magus begins tapping all of his resources. The door proves to be as stubborn as last time, requiring magic force. The rest of the team notices two things. The first is of course the bloom of color though the area they stand in is relatively dark and more of a chamber amidst the junk that surrounds them in every direction. The second is the sudden decomposition of many items near them such as paper and similar delicate things. Such things simply seem to be falling apart, almost turning to ash. As feet shift, the junk covered ground settles some. This effect doesn't seem to affect more durable items other than maybe a light patina of rust or a yellowing of plastic. Grant waits for the tolling that McGrath described as the door slowly grates open. Perhaps the conditions of the tolling are not as he described or maybe he was hallucinating. Questions of McGrath's recollection of the event are put to rest however as a resonating toll reverberates through their bodies. Everyone feels a coldness reaching through their feet. Looking down a black fog is rising through the junk. Alays is thrown off as he does not remember this from his first trip here. It is possible the magic they've used this time may have already taxed the system that's in place. Whatever it is, it's a surprise for him as well.

Grant and Ronith feel more than just coldness in their feet. Their limbs become heavy as it feels like they are standing upon a great magnetic plate and their limbs were all iron. Grant battles the door, furiously pouring his magic reserves into the object. The Heroes peer through the gap that Grant has created as the black fog rises up. Finally the door is open fully allowing them to get out. Grant knows the door isn't likely stay open long amidst the black fog and hurries himself.

The others who exited first turn back to watch everyone's escape. As Grant runs through as well, they see a massive form rise up behind the Magus. Alays' mind reaches back the statue he first fought when he was with Violent Posey's group. It looks like a giant suit of armor covered in trash and litter. It steps through the door as the Broken Door slams shut behind them. The team has escaped Broken Door, McGrath in hand, but what horror have they released in the process?

Yojimbo

Your last memories were of sitting in the cafe back in Merctown. You see the face of a little human girl. She's saying something to you but you can't seem to hear her. Then you remember a creature with two heads; one of a lion and the other of a snake and in its outstretched hand is spear of fire. You next see a broken door and the sounded of muffled voices next to you. The next you see yourself and other shadowy forms running through tunnels in junk looking for that same door. A black fog licks at your legs. The door is in front of your team but it won't open. The shadowy forms beat against the door. Even your great strength is unable to move them. Your body grows sluggish and unable to move. As you fall the vague outlines of great worms overtake your companions. Then all is black. Suddenly out of great darkness you feel a light, a warmth. A hazy vision returns to you. The door, you remember the door. It's open! If you don't escape now you never will! Urgency fills your limbs, propelling you with great speed.

You squeeze through just behind a human as the door slams resolutely behind you. You now stand before a team of mercenaries. Their gazes are that of professionals, immediately assessing you. These are the types you remember from Merctown; capable of two things. You observe them for a moment and much to your dismay they aren't chewing any bubblegum.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Thu May 02, 2019 6:26 am

Perception: 76% /81% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 54
JIC: 1d20 = 12
1d100 = 51

Ashlynn huddles up with the others by the convenience store at the foot of Trash Mountain as Grant prepares his teleportation spell. She rolls her shoulders to loosen up, unsure of what fresh hell this place will throw at them next. She sees the color bloom, and then finds herself facing the door. She crouches, ready to sprint through once it opens, feeling the box's weight on her back.

She looks to one side, and the other. Sees Grant, preparing his magic. Sees Ronith - stern, forceful, direct. Barracuda, and Weiss - her newfound family. Alays and Jack, newcomers who marched boldly into the dark with them. Despite the black cloud rising around her feet, and the shifting debris around them as the color swells around the door, she feels ...safe.

She smiles. "All right ... let's go home."

The door cracks, and the crack widens, and she launches herself through it, rolling to her feet on the Dweomer side. She watches as her team - her family - come pouring through the Broken Door, bearing McGrath, their quarry. Suddenly, she sees a large armored person - or animated armor, stride through the door before it closes. Her hand hovers near her laser-sword, clipped to its place on her belt.

Eyeball a Fella 74% 1d100 = 5 (CRIT SUCCESS)
I.D. Undercover Agent 68% 1d100 = 79 (FAIL)

She sees the bits of debris falling off of him, noting that he seems to have been inert in the mountain for some time. Or at least, he didn't attack them when they first came through the door, nor when they were standing at the door as Grant was reopening it. She notes his hands holding a weapon - who in this world wouldn't be? - but not pointing it at them.

She tilts her head at him, and removes her facemask. Breathing heavily, she scrutinizes the newcomer.

"Did..." she chuckles. "...Did we just accidentally rescue you?"
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Thu May 02, 2019 7:30 am

Perception: 1d100 = 86/37%
JIC (20): 1d20 = 3
JIC (100): 1d100 = 86
Conditions: None, other than confused and apparently covered in refuse



Virtus wrote:
Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 3:25am
Climate: 50F, night skies, clear stars, gentle breeze
Visibility: 1 miles
Terrain: Warehouse District
Active Radio Traffic
Moderate magic activity within 500ft


Yojimbo

Your last memories were of sitting in the cafe back in Merctown. You see the face of a little human girl. She's saying something to you but you can't seem to hear her. Then you remember a creature with two heads; one of a lion and the other of a snake and in its outstretched hand is spear of fire. You next see a broken door and the sounded of muffled voices next to you. The next you see yourself and other shadowy forms running through tunnels in junk looking for that same door. A black fog licks at your legs. The door is in front of your team but it won't open. The shadowy forms beat against the door. Even your great strength is unable to move them. Your body grows sluggish and unable to move. As you fall the vague outlines of great worms overtake your companions. Then all is black. Suddenly out of great darkness you feel a light, a warmth. A hazy vision returns to you. The door, you remember the door. It's open! If you don't escape now you never will! Urgency fills your limbs, propelling you with great speed.

You squeeze through just behind a human as the door slams resolutely behind you. You now stand before a team of mercenaries. Their gazes are that of professionals, immediately assessing you. These are the types you remember from Merctown; capable of two things. You observe them for a moment and much to your dismay they aren't chewing any bubblegum.


What... where am I.... the jumbled thoughts race through Yojimbo's head as he finds himself face to face with, what looks to be, a highly capable merc group who is sizing him up. Fortunately, he does not sense supernatural evil in the area, so his guard drops somewhat, knowing that while evil can still be present in many creatures, it is the supernatural variety that tends to present the biggest threats in his experience.

Aware that his imposing figure often provokes fear, awe, or abject terror in people he does not know, Yojimbo cautiously, slowly, and carefully reaches over to the muzzle of his KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun and picks it up gently in one hand - by the muzzle, so as not to alarm any of the group in front of him and to put them at ease about the sudden appearance his massive armored frame. He then slowly lowers it, by the muzzle, so that the butt stock rests on the ground and he is holding it by the muzzle pointed up, like this.

Are we back in Merctown? This doesn't really look like Merctown... I don't know who these people are, or where I am.

He speaks: "Where am I? I am... unsure how I arrived. What is this place?" he says, looking around in bewilderment.

Sensory data
If anyone uses any abilities that "read" another character's thoughts, emotions, body language, etc on Yojimbo, his current thoughts/state/emotions are that he is confused, bewildered, and apprehensive.


Then, he notices the smallest of the group reach up and remove a mask, revealing a rather young-ish woman, looking at him with interest and breathing heavily.

Perhaps they just finished a physically intensive task - I wonder if they came through the same door? he thinks.

Ashlynn wrote:"Did..." she chuckles. "...Did we just accidentally rescue you?"


So young... reminds me of... He quickly pushes the thought and rising emotions away to deal with the immediate situation.

The Holy Terror sizes up the others in the group before him. Many of their features are obscured by the EBA they are wearing, so he cannot see and scrutinize most of their faces. The faces he can see, Grant and Ashlynn, appear human.

Have I forgotten my manners?!? he realizes suddenly, and he begins to form a solid arm and hand of Ectoplasm (takes 15 seconds to form).

While the arm and hand form, Yojimbo replies slowly to the young woman, "I... cannot say." He then bows. "Gomennasai, yurushite kudasai* - my lack of manners is appalling. I am Yojimbo, bodyguard and "sword for hire". I was hoping you might know the answer to the question of my arrival, Chīsame no yatsu**. The last thing I remember was... shadowy, black fog.. tunnels... a door that would not open ..." he trails off while the hand finishes forming.

Japanese Translations
** = "I am sorry, please forgive me"
* = "little woman", specifically refers to a girl between 7-18 years of age - in this case, a teenager


When the arm and hand finish forming, he notices the old man slumped over while being carried. His now-formed Ectoplasmic hand points at the old man as Yojimbo says, "Is this man hurt? Perhaps I can help..." he says, gauging the response of the group before him as he offers assistance, but not moving otherwise.

Skill Roll!
Anthropology (to avoid offending these people and determine the best way to present himself as non-threatening) --> 1d100 = 50/42%

Unable to determine the least threatning course of action with his limited cultural understanding, Yojimbo decides that, with his visible weapons either strapped to his back or held in a non-threatening manner (gun stock on the ground), he is not presenting himself as a threat, though he is keenly aware that not everyone else can necessarily know this about him.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1000/1000
P.P.E.: 400/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried
KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun (carried in hands), NE-RV05 Ripper Vibro-Robot Sword (strapped across back in scabbard), NG-B50 ‘Thunderer’ BigBore Combat Hammer (hanging from his right side by a leather thong attached to the hilt)

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Thu May 02, 2019 8:34 am

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 81
JIC: 1d20 = 6, 1d100 = 76

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 14
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 44/78
  • P.P.E.: 272/610
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


Sweat drips off of Grant's brow from the focus and determination of holding first the destintation to the door in his mind and then the battle to fuel the door to open. The ball of energy at his shoulder dwindles and winks out as he pulls it in. Got to use it all before the cloud that the Professor said will come appears. Hopefully my inner reserve will be more resilient. At least long enough to open the door.

Feeling in addition to hearing the bell, almost cause Grant to lose focus, but he keeps on his hands on the door's frame. With chattering teeth, Grant yells, "G-g-g-g-oooo! G-g-g-o!" as the door opens. His legs begin to shake from the numbing cold. His mind ever analytical observers the effect his inner sight watching the influx of magic immediately decay and/or age the items around him and then the color be sucked away into whatever vortex the cloud represents. When the last of his team steps through, he pulls himself through with his hands. His legs moving awkwardly, he makes it through. Grant stumbles and rolls on to the ground in front of the door. Eventually lying face up.

Grant sees the huge armored figure before him, and scrambles back crab leg style from it.

Yoshimbo wrote:He speaks: "Where am I? I am... unsure how I arrived. What is this place?" he says, looking around in bewilderment.



Grant's scramble slows as the incongruity of it's words for what should be a deadly foe. Could he have been trapped there at the door, frozen until I had released so much magical energy?

Ashlynn wrote:"Did..." she chuckles. "...Did we just accidentally rescue you?"


Ashlynn's words echo his own thoughts, but Grant is not so willing to accept it based on the jumbled images he'd received from the Professor about the dangers in the realm of the Broken Door. But then, the being speaks Japanese, a language gifted to him as memory during his training to be a Lord Magi in q845.

Language: Japanese 105% vs 1d100 = 89
Lore: D-Bee 114% vs 1d100 = 78 | Does he recognize what Yojimbo is?
Lore: Magic (Enchantment) 87% vs 1d100 = 100 | Is Yojimbo a golem?
Lore: Magic (Identify Item) 84% vs 1d100 = 70 | Is Yojimbo some sort of magical device?
Lore: Psychics & Psionics 89% vs 1d100 = 59 | Recognize the use of Ectoplasm


Yojimbo wrote:While the hand is forming, Yojimbo replies slowly to the young woman, "I... cannot say." He then bows. "Gomennasai, yurushite kudasai* - my lack of manners is appalling. I am Yojimbo, bodyguard and "sword for hire". I was hoping you might know the answer to the question of my arrival, Chīsame no yatsu**. The last thing I remember was... shadowy, black fog.. tunnels... a door that would not open ..." he trails off while the hand finishes forming.


Watching the ectoplasmic limb form, Grant thinks, I've never seen ectoplasm used with great effect for combat, what is he doing?

Still cold, but now tingling from the relative warmth of where they are now, Grant responds in Japanese with only a slight chatter, "Anata wa nanimonodesu ka? Anata no mokuteki wa nanidesu ka?" Sitting up he sees the stains on his armor and feels the trickle of the sweat from his exertion, he murmurs the words and casts Cleanse upon himself. He stands up, his hands ready to release more magic, if the figure before him moves aggressively.


Japanese Translations
From Google Translate, so may not be gramatically correct: What are you? What is your purpose?
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Fri May 03, 2019 3:42 am

**ROLLS HELD**




Grant Latham wrote:Grant sees the huge armored figure before him, and scrambles back crab leg style from it.


Yojimbo watches the young man scramble to get away, and then slow. He sees the initial fear turn into puzzlement, and sees the young man's exertion evident upon his face in the form of sweat and the fact that he had nearly collapsed upon entering through the door.

It must have taken great effort for him.

Grant Latham wrote:Still cold, but now tingling from the relative warmth of where they are now, Grant responds in Japanese with only a slight chatter, "Anata wa nanimonodesu ka? Anata no mokuteki wa nanidesu ka?" Sitting up he sees the stains on his armor and feels the trickle of the sweat from his exertion, he murmurs the words and casts Cleanse upon himself. He stands up, his hands ready to release more magic, if the figure before him moves aggressively.


When the young man casts Cleanse upon himself, Yojimbo marvels. Possessing limited spellcasting ability himself, he envies the seeming ease with which Grant's appearance transforms into a "fresh and clean" version of himself, and experiences a flash of envy as he realizes how filthy and possibly smelly he must appear to these strangers. As he does so, he extends the Ectoplasmic arm/hand toward Grant, palm up, in an offer to help Grant stand up from the ground, while Yojimbo himself stays put so as not to alarm Grant or anyone else.

Ectoplasm
RUE page 167: "The Ectoplasmic limb appears as a white, slightly luminous appendage connected to a trail of ectoplasm stretching back to its creator like a life-line of silly putty. The appendage and its connecting line can hover, float, levitate and fly (at a speed of 18)."

When he sees Grant stand on his own, Yojimbo retracts the arm/hand back to where he stands.

Grant Latham wrote:"What are you? What is your purpose?"


He speaks fluent Japanese thinks the metallic behemoth, now suddenly curious, as he had only met one or two others in the past year who shared the language.

Perhaps he does not understand American, and this is why he asks the questions I just answered in the American language.

Attempting to accomodate the Lord Magus, Yojimbo repeats a slightly different version of what he had told the group previously, this time in Japanese: "Watashi wa yōjinbo, bodigādo, soshite `yatou tame no katana'desu. Watashi wa anata no 1-ri ga watashi no tōchaku no shitsumon ni taisuru kotae o shitte iru kamo shirenai koto o nozonde imashita. Watashi ga oboete iru saigo no koto wa… yami no yōna kuroi kiri… ton'neru… akanai tobira…".

Japanese Translation
I am Yojimbo, bodyguard and "sword for hire". I was hoping one of you might know the answer to the question of my arrival. The last thing I remember was... shadowy, black fog.. tunnels... a door that would not open ...

However, this time, as he speaks, Yojimbo causes the Ectoplasm to reform into outlines of what he saw, creating a sort of Ectoplasmic montage of what he recalls in mid-air.

Ectoplasm
RUE page 167: "Ectoplasm can also be used to create a face or even a full figure, although detailed features are impossible. Ectoplasmically created images may explain apparitions reported during some seances."

He again looks at the frail old man. "This man appears to be in poor health or hurt. I have magic that can help heal him if he is injured, if you will allow me to assist," offers the giant once again while pointing at the old man.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1000/1000
P.P.E.: 400/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried
KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun (carried in hands), NE-RV05 Ripper Vibro-Robot Sword (strapped across back in scabbard), NG-B50 ‘Thunderer’ BigBore Combat Hammer (hanging from his right side by a leather thong attached to the hilt)

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Fri May 03, 2019 6:10 am

Perception: 1d100 = 86
JIC: 1d20 = 12 and 1d100 = 30

Jack watches as Grant struggles, You got this, I know you do, he thinks to himself. As the bell begins to toll and the fog starts to rise, sweat beads so to form on Jack's forehead. Don't ever let 'em see you sweat. As the door begins to open Jack knows this is gonna be the last chance for him to get out of this pit of horrors so he makes his way through the door as quickly as possible when his turn comes. On the way through he looks back at Grant, "Hurry your butt through! he says to the mage.

On the other side Jack works to catch his breath. The thought of finally being out eases his nerves a bit until he turns to see the giant armored man. Man? Thing? Demon?! he wonders as he looks it over. Ashlynn makes first contact with her friendly giggly question. Could we have saved this, "thing"?, he wonders. He backs up slightly keeping his eye on the beast and pulls his bow to ready.

Grant and the giant start to talk and when Jack hears the concern for Mcgrath, Ashlynn's theory starts to make sense. "Hey Ashlynn, I think we did just save this thing. What is the going rate for a rescue like that? Jack turns to the armored monster. "Hey buddy, you been in there long? What were you doing in there anyway? Do you know English? Parle-vous Frenchy? Speakinsie Dutchy?

Feeling a little less tense but still anxious about their time through the door, Jacks take a moment to inventory his stuff. Make sure he didn't leave anything behind. He quickly checks to make sure the boar is still with the APC as well.

Once he has everything in order he pulls his helmet off to get some fresh air. Looking toward Ronith he says, "Hey boss man, what's the plan? We gonna check that box to see if the professor brought some wine and cheese for a picnic?" The Jack looks around generally at the group and asks, "Everybody ok, anybody need anything?
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Fri May 03, 2019 9:09 am

JIC: 1d20 = 5, 1d100 = 62
PER: 1d100 = 10 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)
Conditions
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Sense evil| RUE 176 | 22min | 140ft. area

Lore: Demon & Monster- 1d100 = 11 vs. 101%
To identify Yojimbo as a Holy Terror

With McGrath stable and placid, Ronith leaves the professor in Alays' capable hands and keeps his eyes out for trouble as the team joins hands and Grant teleports them through the maze. Back at the Broken Door, Ronith grunts as the strange magic-draining properties of the area affect him like a physical blow, and he struggles back to his feet to be ready to engage any threats that present themselves. He glances back at the door, to see if his physical strength is needed to help wedge it open, but Grant seems to have the matter well in hand and Ronith is loath to risk upsetting the process by intervening physically.

Once the door is open, Ronith will urge the others through, barking "Go, go!" through gritted teeth as he continues his struggle to remain upright. Only when the rest of his team is through does Ronith follow suit, breathing a sigh of relief as he makes it through- one that is cut short as he beholds some kind of menace rising from the litter of the labyrinth. The door slams shut, and Ronith allows himself some relief, but he knows that his duty is to report that thing to Horne and possible the local magi at the least. Heroes for Hire cannot be responsible for setting some monster loose upon Dweomer.

Still, that particular problem will have to wait. Between the strange weight on his limbs and the extent to which he has been taxing his psychic resources, Ronith feels more drained than he has in a long time. "Is everyone alright?" he asks hoarsely, before realizing that a strange creature stands before them.

If Ronith does not immediately recognize Yojimbo's species, his swords appear in hand in a flash and he brings them to bear menacingly. "Who are you and what do you want?" he barks suspiciously. If Ronith does recognize the Holy Terror, Ronith raises his hands to the others. "Wait- I recognize this creature. I do not believe it intends us harm." In both cases, Ronith will rely on his psychic intuition (sixth sense) to tell him whether Yojimbo represents a threat. Assuming it does not, he will allow the stranger a chance to explain himself.

Yojimbo speaks a tongue unfamiliar to Ronith, but Grant apparently has the matter well in hand so for the time being Ronith allows Grant to take the lead in conversing with him. While they do so, Ronith will turn his attention to McGrath and use Frostfang's healing touch to try and undo some of the deprivations of his recent ordeal. Regardless of their effects, Ronith says quietly "Alays, take him into the APC and get him comfortable. It is high time we left this place." Ronith waves for the rest of the team to follow suit, before turning back to Grant and Yojimbo. Assuming Grant translates the initial Japanese for Ronith's benefit, he joins the conversation.

Yojimbo wrote:"This man appears to be in poor health or hurt. I have magic that can help heal him if he is injured, if you will allow me to assist," offers the giant once again while pointing at the old man.
"Thank you, but that will not be necessary. I have some small healing magic of my own, but more likely he is simply dehydrated and malnourished. We are taking him somewhere where he can get care."

After studying Yojimbo for a few moments, Ronith relaxes his posture as he recognizes the species. "Wait... You are one of the beings known as Holy Terrors, are you not? I have heard tale of your kind- you have a reputation as stalwart monster hunters and champions of the light. And you say you are a warrior for hire, as well? I may be in a position to offer you employment as such." While he's talking, Ronith activates his ability to sense evil ((-2 ISP)) to confirm that Yojimbo is, in fact, one of the 'good guys.' Assuming he can clear Yojimbo in this way, Ronith then beckons the newcomer to the team's APC. "Come, join us Sir Yojimbo. I would hear your tale. I am Sir Ronith Turand, Lord of the Granite Hall and commander of Heroes for Hire. You can meet the rest of the team while we journey, but we have had a long and taxing day and I am sure that I speak for the others when I say that we are eager to get underway. Once we have returned to our safe haven in the city we can discuss whether you are interested in joining our little company." Once everyone is ready to go, Ronith will order the APC to head back to Horne's compound.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 4/66; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 54/86; EBA and cyber-armor destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Fri May 03, 2019 10:05 am

Perception: 1d100 = 100/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 7/1d100 = 62

Barracuda sticks close to the group as they teleport to the door. This place is freaky. He gets ready for something to go wrong with the teleportation as per Weiss' suggestion and is pleasantly surprised when they arrive problem free at the door. When Grant pulls it open, Barracuda is one of the last to go through, making sure that everyone else is out before he steps out.

"OK, let's never ever go back there. That got creepy real fast." He turns around to look at the now closed door and instead sees a giant suit of armor standing behind him. "Oh shit! What is that?!" He takes a few steps back and gets King Tide at the ready.
Ashlynn wrote:"Did..." she chuckles. "...Did we just accidentally rescue you?"

Seeing that Ashlynn isn't worried about the armored being and knowing that she has a better sense of character than he does, Barracuda relaxes a little, but still keeps his weapon handy. When Grant and the big guy start talking Japanese to each other Barracuda lifts the visor of his helmet and has a surprised look on his face. Turning to Grant he says "Oi, anata wa nihongo no hanashikata o shitte imasu ka?" (Language Japanese: 1d100 = 1/72%)


Translations
Oi, anata wa nihongo no hanashikata o shitte imasu ka? =Dude, you know how to speak Japanese?
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Fri May 03, 2019 11:08 am

(rolls carried)


Yojimbo wrote:Attempting to accommodate the Lord Magus, Yojimbo repeats a slightly different version of what he had told the group previously, this time in Japanese: "Watashi wa yōjinbo, bodigādo, soshite `yatou tame no katana'desu. Watashi wa anata no 1-ri ga watashi no tōchaku no shitsumon ni taisuru kotae o shitte iru kamo shirenai koto o nozonde imashita. Watashi ga oboete iru saigo no koto wa… yami no yōna kuroi kiri… ton'neru… akanai tobira…".

Japanese Translation
I am Yojimbo, bodyguard and "sword for hire". I was hoping one of you might know the answer to the question of my arrival. The last thing I remember was... shadowy, black fog.. tunnels... a door that would not open ...

However, this time, as he speaks, Yojimbo causes the Ectoplasm to reform into outlines of what he saw, creating a sort of Ectoplasmic montage of what he recalls in mid-air.



He is a Yojimbo? Grant thinks, Dweomer has Earth Thunderer, Battle Lord and Colossi automatons, but this one I have heard before. And the name is not American. No, he said his name is Yojimbo. Is this a man in a suit of armor?

Grant opens his inner sight and also casts See Aura to look at the huge armored figure in front of him. He radiates magical energy like a furnace, almost as much as what I can see around myself.


Barracuda wrote:Turning to Grant he says "Oi, anata wa nihongo no hanashikata o shitte imasu ka?"


Language: Japanese 105% vs 1d100 = 38

"Watashi wa seiun no seiun to sugoshita jikan no ma ni sore o manabi, shu Magi no nakamairi o shimashita. Shikashi, soreha-betsu no hi no hanashidesu." Grant says in reply, he waves his hand towards Yojimbo implying that his story is what should be heard.

Japanese Translation
I learned it during the time I spent with Nebula of the Celestials and joined the ranks of the Lord Magi. But that is a tale for another day.


Grant opens up the clear face plate of his face plate, He doesn't seem immediately hostile, and I don't necessarily want another fight. He gives a small bow, "Yojimbo, my name is Grant. If you are a peaceable being, please say so." Grant glances at Sir Ronith to see if he's on the move to attack. "The...hospitality of those we have encountered on the other side of that door has been...lacking."

He considers the polite words that Yojimbo has said, "Forgive my rudeness, Yojimbo, thank you for your name, but I can see the magical energy radiating from you, and you have an aura of a living being. Can you remove the helmet you are wearing so we may see your face to know of you better?"

At the mention of the Professor and the offer to heal, Grant's eyes widen, and he turns back towards him. "That continuum may have inadvertently kept him alive, but now that he's out, his malnutrition may have a much greater impact." Grant goes to the unconscious man and casts Sustain upon him. "This isn't really a replacement for food,rest and rehabilitation. But, it should help keep his condition from deteriorating further."

When Sir Ronith identifies him as a Holy Terror, Grant wets his lips in anticipation of a flood of questions about what Yojimbo is and how he came to be, but holds his tongue as Sir Ronith invites him to return with them.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Fri May 03, 2019 1:16 pm

**ROLLS HELD**


Jack McDermott wrote:Grant and the giant start to talk and when Jack hears the concern for Mcgrath, Ashlynn's theory starts to make sense. "Hey Ashlynn, I think we did just save this thing. What is the going rate for a rescue like that? Jack turns to the armored monster. "Hey buddy, you been in there long? What were you doing in there anyway? Do you know English? Parle-vous Frenchy? Speakinsie Dutchy?


Yojimbo turns slightly to face the scarred person addressing him. He must have suffered horribly thinks the armored giant.

When he hears Jack's questions, Yojimbo is troubled. How long was I in there? he thinks, perturbed at the haziness of his memory.

Replying to Jack, Yojimbo states, "I... I cannot say. For some reason, my memory of what happened is... fragmented and hazy. I only recall what I have already said, and even that is only bits and pieces." Thinking back to his arrival on Rifts Earth, the Holy Terror has a momentary flash of insight.

I recovered much of my memory before, in due time. Perhaps this will be similar.




Barracuda wrote:"OK, let's never ever go back there. That got creepy real fast." He turns around to look at the now closed door and instead sees a giant suit of armor standing behind him. "Oh shit! What is that?!" He takes a few steps back and gets King Tide at the ready.
Ashlynn wrote:"Did..." she chuckles. "...Did we just accidentally rescue you?"

Seeing that Ashlynn isn't worried about the armored being and knowing that she has a better sense of character than he does, Barracuda relaxes a little, but still keeps his weapon handy. When Grant and the big guy start talking Japanese to each other Barracuda lifts the visor of his helmet and has a surprised look on his face. Turning to Grant he says "Oi, anata wa nihongo no hanashikata o shitte imasu ka?" (Language Japanese: Original post: 1d100 = 1/72%)


Holy Terrors do not blink, but if they could, Yojimbo would be blinking in disbelief.

TWO fluent Japanese speakers? Where is this place? he thinks, looking around once again.




Grant Latham responding to Barracuda (in Japanese) wrote:I learned it during the time I spent with Nebula of the Celestials and joined the ranks of the Lord Magi. But that is a tale for another day.


Lord Magi? Could he be from the fabled city of Dweomer I have heard about in my travels? The Magi are said to be from that place. Yojimbo begins to wonder if they are, in fact, in the city of Dweomer at that very moment.

Grant Latham wrote:Grant opens up the clear face plate of his face plate. He gives a small bow, "Yojimbo, my name is Grant. If you are a peaceable being, please say so." Grant glances at Sir Ronith to see if he's on the move to attack. "The...hospitality of those we have encountered on the other side of that door has been...lacking."


Yojimbo politely returns Grant's bow and says,"The Hagakure says, 'At times because of one man’s evil, ten thousand people suffer. So you kill that one man to let the tens of thousands live. Here, truly, the blade that deals death becomes the sword that saves lives.' I have no quarrel with creatures who do not engage in or spread evil. As you and your group do not appear to be engaged in evil activities, and do not radiate evil yourselves, I stand before you in peace."

Perhaps those who understand the Japanese language will understand what is meant by this. Better yet, perhaps they will know of the Hagakure and its teachings.

Yojimbo makes a mental note to seek and acquire a copy of the Hagakure as soon as he is able.

After a momentary pause to let his response sink in, Yojimbo addresses Grant's other point: "I truly wish I could recall what I faced beyond that door. It sounds as if you and your group may have had it worse."

Grant Latham wrote:He considers the polite words that Yojimbo has said, "Forgive my rudeness, Yojimbo, thank you for your name, but I can see the magical energy radiating from you, and you have an aura of a living being. Can you remove the helmet you are wearing so we may see your face to know of you better?"


Yojimbo politely nods at Grant. "There is nothing to forgive, Grant. I have found that my appearance can be intimidating to others. But, given what you have told me about your reception by others beyond that door, I cannot blame you and your group for being cautious. There is also no helmet to remove. What you see as armor..." - here, the Holy Terror taps on various portions of his entire metallic body, finishing by tapping on his head - "is what I am. I realize this may be difficult to believe, so I offer you all the following proof."

As if to emphasize the point, Yojimbo then holds up one arm and slowly cuts it with the claws from his other hand, and then shows it to Grant and the others as he bio-regenerates the damage in a matter of seconds right before their eyes.
OOC Comments
Think Wolverine's healing factor, but there is no blood. The cuts appear exactly as they would on armor.





Ronith wrote: Ronith raises his hands to the others. "Wait- I recognize this creature. I do not believe it intends us harm."


At last, someone who recognizes nonviolent intent! thinks the metallic behemoth to himself. He was beginning to wonder if the slow and deliberate placing of his "big gun" on the ground, barrel up, had gone unnnoticed.

Ronith wrote:"Thank you, but that will not be necessary. I have some small healing magic of my own, but more likely he is simply dehydrated and malnourished. We are taking him somewhere where he can get care."


Yojimbo replies to Ronith,"Of course. Benevolence is not only one of the five Gojo, but it is also my privilege and honor to help those in need of assistance." Noticing that Sir Ronith is taking care of the situation, and that the others seem to look toward him for direction and cues, Yojimbo thinks this one appears to be the leader.

Ronith wrote:After studying Yojimbo for a few moments, Ronith relaxes his posture as he recognizes the species. "Wait... You are one of the beings known as Holy Terrors, are you not? I have heard tale of your kind- you have a reputation as stalwart monster hunters and champions of the light. And you say you are a warrior for hire, as well? I may be in a position to offer you employment as such."


Yojimbo is momentarily surprised by Ronith's revelation. "You, sir, are... the first I have met to have heard of my kind since I arrived in North America just over a year ago, in what you would call P.A. 107. I am honored to say that the reputation is true: members of my race are known to be staunch foes of evil and do not hesitate to strike down all manner of supernatural darkness. I am indeed in need of work, and while I am honored that you would consider me for a position within your group, I must tell you in advance that I follow a strict code of conduct which precludes me from certain actions."

Ronith wrote:"Come, join us Sir Yojimbo. I would hear your tale. I am Sir Ronith Turand, Lord of the Granite Hall and commander of Heroes for Hire. You can meet the rest of the team while we journey, but we have had a long and taxing day and I am sure that I speak for the others when I say that we are eager to get underway. Once we have returned to our safe haven in the city we can discuss whether you are interested in joining our little company."


Not sensing any supernatural evil within range with his own sensing power, and knowing that the man he saw earlier is not in good condition and needs help that the Heroes for Hire said he would receive, Yojimbo agrees to Ronith's request.

"I am delighted to come with the Lord of the Granite Hall and commander of Heroes for Hire, and his companions. Perhaps we can discuss more at this haven you have mentioned, Sir Ronith Turand."

Then, just before he departs, he realizes how he must appear and smell. Yojimbo asks Grant: "Pardon me, my magic using friend. Would you be so kind as to repeat your cleaning spell upon me, if you are able to? I will gladly provide the magic energy to do so..."

With that, Yojimbo picks up his rail gun, and joins the group on the APC - presuming he can fit inside and his weight is not a concern.

Once he is inside the APC and sees Ronith take off his helmet, he notices Ronith's elven features - though Yojimbo knows (and cares) little of such things. To him, a person's virtues and code matter infinitely more than their appearance or race.

After all, Yojimbo himself is terrifying to many who behold him, but he knows his own heart.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1000/1000
P.P.E.: 400/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried
KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun (carried in hands), NE-RV05 Ripper Vibro-Robot Sword (strapped across back in scabbard), NG-B50 ‘Thunderer’ BigBore Combat Hammer (hanging from his right side by a leather thong attached to the hilt)

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Mon May 06, 2019 7:38 am

(Rolls carried over)

Jack wrote:"Hey Ashlynn, I think we did just save this thing. What is the going rate for a rescue like that?"


Ashlynn shakes her head. "I don't think we charge for incidental rescues."

Seeing Grant and Barracuda both speak this creature's strange language, Ash looks impressed, glancing between the two of them. "Look at the language chops on our team, here! I dunno what language that is but it sounds real interesting."

Yojimbo wrote:"What you see as armor... is what I am. I realize this may be difficult to believe, so I offer you all the following proof."


Ashlynn's eyes boggle, and she takes a couple steps forward. "GET. OUT." She reaches out and takes hold of his forearm, examining it. "This is SO COOL. Can I peer in your eye-holes?"

Yojimbo wrote:"I am indeed in need of work, and while I am honored that you would consider me for a position within your group, I must tell you in advance that I follow a strict code of conduct which precludes me from certain actions."


Ashlynn laughs, and gestures at Ronith. "He's MISTER code of conduct. I suspect you two'll hit it off."
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Tue May 07, 2019 3:34 am

Perception 50% 1d100 = 48
JIC 1d100 = 78 1d20 = 19

It takes Weiss a second to get his bearings again after Grant's teleport

"This place is beginning to look very unfriendly right now. he sees the fog at their feet and begins moving around a bit to ensure it isn't holding them in place.

As the portal opens and they rush through, Weiss turns back to see how the others are doing and help anybody through who needs it.

Grant Latham wrote:Grant sees the huge armored figure before him, and scrambles back crab leg style from it.


"What the frak?" Weiss exclaims, remembering what Alays had told them about the golem they had faced earlier, "Alays, this look like what you faced before?" he calls over to the crazy, bringing his plasma rifle to bear.

It was not instantly attacking, so Weiss does not open fire. Instead, he inches closer to the APC. His plasma rifle may do a lot of damage, but in these circumstances, a rail gun would do a lot more damage and probably be less likely to be immune to it.

He motions to Ash to move back away from the creature. She had taken a lot of punishment recently


He watches and listens as the others begin talking to it. Realising there is another language in play, he knocks on the APC door.
"Beltin, can you pass me my pack please?" he asks the psychic politely, "my language translator should be in there."

Provided the psychic opens the door, Weiss waves with his left hand

"We're back, we have what we went for and possibly something else." He indicates the box being held by Barracuda.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Tue May 07, 2019 7:42 am

**ROLLS HELD**

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn's eyes boggle, and she takes a couple steps forward. "GET. OUT." She reaches out and takes hold of his forearm, examining it. "This is SO COOL. Can I peer in your eye-holes?"


Yojimbo pauses for a moment in confusion.

Get out? He looks around for a doorway, to potentially exit the area.

Did I offend her?

Skill Roll
Anthropology (did he do something offensive, and if so, how can he fix it or avoid making it worse?) --> 1d100 = 63/42%


His anthropological studies failing him, Yojimbo decides to play it safe: With a deep bow, he says to Ashlynn,"Taihen mōshiwakegozaimasen! I am very sorry, young one. I had no intent to offend you." He kneels and lowers his head as she approaches to see his forearm.

"I am uncertain where I could go. If you could please tell me where I am... where this place is... I would gladly leave as you requested. I wish to cause no strife or further offense."

Ashlynn may very well get the impression that Yojimbo feels he has committed a grave error of some sort and is apologizing profusely for offending her.

As Ashlynn examine his arm and remarks how cool it is, and asks about his eyes, Yojimbo is silent.

She ordered me to "get out", but now wants to touch and interact with me? I do not understand.

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn laughs, and gestures at Ronith. "He's MISTER code of conduct. I suspect you two'll hit it off."


Yojimbo says nothing, being unsure how to respond, and wanting to avoid any further offenses at the moment - but he does make a mental note that Sir Ronith might be a person of honor, and to observe him more closely.

Perhaps we should discuss our respective codes upon arrival to ensure compatibility... he thinks.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1000/1000
P.P.E.: 400/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried
KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun (carried in hands), NE-RV05 Ripper Vibro-Robot Sword (strapped across back in scabbard), NG-B50 ‘Thunderer’ BigBore Combat Hammer (hanging from his right side by a leather thong attached to the hilt)

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Tue May 07, 2019 9:22 am

(rolls carried over)

Yojimbo wrote:" I am very sorry, young one. I had no intent to offend you."


Ashlynn looks confused, then bursts out laughing. "Wait... What? No! I'm not offended. I don't want you to leave!" She continues laughing. "I was saying get out like... get out. Not like, 'leave', or whatever. Like... 'you gotta be kidding me', or 'that's incredible'."

She releases his arm, fighting the urge to scamper up his armored chest and stare into his helm's faceplate.

"We're in Dweomer... is... uh, where we are. But! That doesn't mean I want you to leave!" She puts her hands on her knees, shaking her head.

"Whoo." She stands back up, and looks Yojimbo square in what passes for his face. "I like you. You're silly. Don't take everything so serious."

She starts to mount up into the APC per Ronith's orders, then stops suddenly, as if remembering something vital, hops out, and approaches Yojimbo, one hand outstretched.

"I TOTALLY forgot! Hi! I'm Ashlynn!"
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Tue May 07, 2019 9:46 am

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn looks confused, then bursts out laughing. "Wait... What? No! I'm not offended. I don't want you to leave!" She continues laughing. "I was saying get out like... get out. Not like, 'leave', or whatever. Like... 'you gotta be kidding me', or 'that's incredible'."

She releases his arm, fighting the urge to scamper up his armored chest and stare into his helm's faceplate.


After a brief flash of embarassment, Yojimbo's confusion turns into mirth at the situation.

The slang here is... different he thinks to himself, as he makes a mental note to listen to Ashlynn talk more often so he won't repeat the same embarassing mistakes with everyone he meets.

Ashlynn wrote:"We're in Dweomer... is... uh, where we are. But! That doesn't mean I want you to leave!" She puts her hands on her knees, shaking her head.

"Whoo." She stands back up, and looks Yojimbo square in what passes for his face. "I like you. You're silly. Don't take everything so serious."


She is very much like Hanae... thinks the Holy Terror to himself fondly as he remembers the little girl who helped him acclimate to Rifts Earth and Japan after his sudden arrival.

Ashlynn wrote:She starts to mount up into the APC per Ronith's orders, then stops suddenly, as if remembering something vital, hops out, and approaches Yojimbo, one hand outstretched.

"I TOTALLY forgot! Hi! I'm Ashlynn!"


Yojimbo bows, holds up his clawed "hands" for her to see, and extends his Ectoplasmic hand to Ashlynn in their stead for the handshake/greeting. "Hajimemashite. It is nice to meet you, Ashlynn," he says as he gathers his rifle and walks toward the APC.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1000/1000
P.P.E.: 400/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried
KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun (carried in hands), NE-RV05 Ripper Vibro-Robot Sword (strapped across back in scabbard), NG-B50 ‘Thunderer’ BigBore Combat Hammer (hanging from his right side by a leather thong attached to the hilt)

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Alays » Wed May 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 79 / 39%
JIC: 1d20 = 14
JIC: 1d100 = 54
Conditions: Sixth Sense, Dissociative identity disorder: Ivor=Orange, Lillian=Pink, Jessie=Purple


Alays catches his breath as the bell resonates through his body. He feels a bit of relief as the door finally opens for the group to pass through. Almost dropping McGrath when the newcomer appears out of nowhere. Alays is about to react when the rest of the group seem to ease the defenses. He calms himself a bit further as a few of the member begging to speak with the statue like man in a language unknown to Alays. He keeps a watchful eye on the newcomer as it still might be some last ditch effort from something on the other side of the door.

Weiss wrote:Alays, this look like what you faced before?"


"No, this thing looks new to me. The one before was much bigger. Like 50 feet bigger but still wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out."

Ronith wrote:"Alays, take him into the APC and get him comfortable. It is high time we left this place."


When Ronith orders Alays to place McGrath into the APC, he is relieved. Both for not having to be his chafher and to leave the door behind and all that it holds. He quickly heads to the APC and enters. Finding an adequate place and placing McGrath, he fi ss his own place sit and wait for the rest of group to board and return to the main city.
User avatar
Alays
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Fri May 10, 2019 4:29 am

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 4:21am
Climate: 50F, night skies, clear stars, gentle breeze
Visibility: 1 miles
Terrain: Warehouse District
Active Radio Traffic
Moderate magic activity within 500ft


The night sky twinkles above the people gathered beneath its canopy outside Broken Door among the debris. The sounds of people arriving and preparing for a day of work can be heard distantly elsewhere in the warehouse district. Friendly greetings, laughter, a vehicle door shutting, the steady warning beep of a heavy vehicle backing up drift towards the group from blocks away. Sir Ronith directs the war weary group to their mobile headquarters. The crunch of debris under their feet echos off the concrete terrain conveying a conclusive peace to all who have been fighting and struggling for so long now. Wherever the remnants of their enemies may be right now, it's not here.

The new, strange being they've encountered makes fast friends, in no small part to Ashlynn's keen eyes at the outset. Her quick gut feelings have been accurate enough for long enough that everyone deems them trustworthy enough to at least consider his monstrous form without mowing him down. Sir Ronith then confirms her feeling with a personal experience. Weiss gets his translator from his pack after Beltin hands it to him. The psychic nods in relief at the retrieval of McGrath. Almost a third of everyone present has been a part of this entourage for less than twenty four hours and if nothing else can be said about them, they've endured a string of brutal encounters.

Connor McGrath is carried inside of the APC and laid on jump seats reconfigured to work as a bed. Beltin greets everyone, pleased to see everyone make it back and shocked to see the living armor. Those who can feel tired feel the comfort the APC provides. Inside, the form of the battered giant robot rests quietly at the back of the massive vehicle. Everyone gets positioned so they can start their way back to Horne's residence to return the professor.

Whyne looks down at McGrath's form with a mixture of pity and disgust. Looking at Ronith she says "You'll never get willing answers out of him. He is consumed by his mania. Connor lives in his own world where all paths lead to the same destination and fear lies on all borders. I do not think Elizabeth will never get her husband back. Not really. He would have to utterly forget about whatever it is he is looking for." she says, pausing as if ready to bring up something uncomfortable. She then continues. "If you ever wanted to probe his memories, now would be the time. He has formidable defenses when he's healthy or as close to healthy as he ever gets."

Assuming Weiss finds his seat in the APC, the vehicle lurches into motion, and begins rolling towards Horne's mansion.

IF anyone wishes to perform actions while on the trip, do so now. If not, then continue on.

Eventually the APC makes it way to the mansion. This time the gates are open though very few people are awake at this hour of the morning. There is a large outbuilding that would make for a convenient parking spot for the APC. A curtain moves on an upstairs window. Someone, or likely everyone inside the residence, heard the arrival of the APC. What are you doing?
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Fri May 10, 2019 2:48 pm

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 90
JIC: 1d20 = 20, 1d100 = 51

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 14
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 44/78
  • P.P.E.: 272/610
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.



Yojimbo wrote:Then, just before he departs, he realizes how he must appear and smell. Yojimbo asks Grant: "Pardon me, my magic using friend. Would you be so kind as to repeat your cleaning spell upon me, if you are able to? I will gladly provide the magic energy to do so..."


The mage looks up at the armored figure, "Certainly," he says, and with a raised hand touches Yojimbo's chest and utters the words of power. To a perceptive eye, one might see a look of sadness flit across Grant's face. The lack of magical energy in that land beyond the Broken Door was terrible, but the effect it had on local environment is the epitome of what magic does, it brings color to an otherwise drab existence. To bad, here, the effect while present is muted. The magic ripples across Yojimbo, the dirty and grim disappearing as the spell does it's work.

"Come let's get out of here before we have to explain what we are doing here." When Grant gets to the APC, his first thought is to check on the body of the Sunaj they had stored, then to where he had stored the man's helmet. Finding them, he finds a seat and sits down heavily. He buckles in and says, "Beltin, since you and McGrath are still here, always was quiet I presume?"

Whyne wrote:Whyne looks down at McGrath's form with a mixture of pity and disgust. Looking at Ronith she says "You'll never get willing answers out of him. He is consumed by his mania. Connor lives in his own world where all paths lead to the same destination and fear lies on all borders. I do not think Elizabeth will never get her husband back. Not really. He would have to utterly forget about whatever it is he is looking for." she says, pausing as if ready to bring up something uncomfortable. She then continues. "If you ever wanted to probe his memories, now would be the time. He has formidable defenses when he's healthy or as close to healthy as he ever gets."


Lore: Psychics & Psionics 89% vs 1d100 = 53| Psychic Options for McGrath

"A person's deeper thoughts should normally be there own, but if what we've brought back is some sort of weapon, we may need to know what this device is. As Ms. Whyne has said, and we've seen while trying to bring him back, he has been single-minded in his goal and would have stayed in that realm rather than part with it. I think it warrants an attempt by Beltin to delve into his thoughts and find the truth. If it truly is dangerous then there are some psychics who might be able to wipe his mind of the memories of it, but at that point, I'd think we need to bring this to the attention of The Three," Grant says, and then mentally adds, and I may have to take a serious rebuke from them for bring it out of the Broken Door.

He points back to where the dead body of the Sunaj leader is, "The information about the Sunaj is something that I think we need to let the Council of Lazlo, the leadership of the Cyberknights, as well as Dweomer. We need to find out more. He looks, human, but I suspect he is not, even in death, he looks...perfect. With what appear to have been magical tattoos, and what Maderan, that golden woman stated, he may have been sent by the Splugorth. It is almost to crazy to say, I'd say he looks like the few True-Atlanteans that taught some courses on magic back in Lazlo."

As the conversation goes back and forth, Grant leans back in his seat and closes his eyes. While not physically tired (because of the active Sustain spell), and thus, does not fall asleep, there is a sense of weariness about him as he gratefully feels his reserves of magical energy slowly renew.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Sat May 11, 2019 7:54 am

JIC: 1d20 = 10, 1d100 = 36
PER: 1d100 = 4 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)
Conditions
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


Yojimbo wrote:"I am delighted to come with the Lord of the Granite Hall and commander of Heroes for Hire, and his companions. Perhaps we can discuss more at this haven you have mentioned, Sir Ronith Turand."
Once they are on their way, Ronith continues his discussion with the newcomer. "I know not this gojo of which you speak, but you seem an honorable being and thus would be most welcome amongst us. The terms of employment in our company are simple- we are mercenaries, but we also strive to protect and save the innocent. All members are expected to obey the spirit, if not the letter, of the cyber-knight code. I suspect that you shall not find it incompatible with your own."

Virtus wrote:"If you ever wanted to probe his memories, now would be the time. He has formidable defenses when he's healthy or as close to healthy as he ever gets."
Ronith shakes his head. "I shall not take advantage of the man's illness like that. We will take him to his wife- if we explain the stakes to her, perhaps she will grant us permission to look inside his mind. Possibly even facilitate the process."

Ronith spends the rest of the trip in silence- resting with his head back and eyes closed. It's been a long day, and the cyber-knight feels it. When they arrive, Ronith will instruct Weiss to park the APC by the outbuilding. "Alays, Jack, Yojimbo with me. The rest of you stay here until we have made sure the coast is clear." Unwilling to trust that there isn't another ambush waiting for them, Ronith steps out first and looks around the area. He is concerned that the mystic defenses they encountered earlier appear to be gone, but if his senses detect nothing hostile and his sixth sense remains quiescent, he will head to the front door and knock. Only if it is answered by someone friendly will he wave for the others to join him.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 4/66; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 54/86; EBA and cyber-armor destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Alays » Sat May 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 32 / 39%
JIC: 1d20 = 7
JIC: 1d100 = 89
Conditions: Sixth Sense, Dissociative identity disorder: Ivor=Orange, Lillian=Pink, Jessie=Purple



Ronith wrote:"I shall not take advantage of the man's illness like that. We will take him to his wife- if we explain the stakes to her, perhaps she will grant us permission to look inside his mind. Possibly even facilitate the process."


What? Why not? This would be the perfect time to do so. Bunch of goodie goods any ways. I mean isn't that why we ventured in there in the first place. If we have the means to do then we should. It not like going crazy and further than he already is is a bad thing, just look at me.

Alays smiles as he stares at nothing in particular. He remains quite for the ride back to their final destination. Giving anyone who makes eye contact a nice smile is but not too crazy looking.

Ronith wrote:"Alays, Jack, Yojimbo with me. The rest of you stay here until we have made sure the coast is clear."


Still cautious, huh, or just over paranoid. I didn't think cyber knight had paranoia. Maybe that's their secret to their powers. Either way fine by me. Get a chance for a little more action.

Alays stands and put on his helmet before picking up his rifle. He checks his clip and reloads it. Giving a thumbs up he then exits the APC with his rifle ready. Upon stepping out he checks for any imminent threat before he checks for places of an ambush attack. When the coast is clear he waves Ronith and the others to proceed. Alays follows Ronith to the door of the Madison, checking for an attack as they walk forward. Only when someone friendly answers the door and Ronith waves the rest of the group to enter will Alays lower his guard.

Detect Concealment -1d100 = 79- 55% - to look for any hidden blinds or place to attack from
etect Ambush -1d100 = 60- 55% - to look for any type of surprise attack
User avatar
Alays
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Sat May 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 66/37%
JIC(20): 1d20 = 10
JIC(100): 1d100 = 36




Before leaving...

Yojimbo thanks Grant for the spell and supplies any P.P.E. necessary for the casting so that Grant does not drain his reserves after being so taxed by opening the door.

A useful spell. I should wish I had the ability to use it more often.




On the APC

Ronith wrote:
Yojimbo wrote:"I am delighted to come with the Lord of the Granite Hall and commander of Heroes for Hire, and his companions. Perhaps we can discuss more at this haven you have mentioned, Sir Ronith Turand."
Once they are on their way, Ronith continues his discussion with the newcomer. "I know not this gojo of which you speak, but you seem an honorable being and thus would be most welcome amongst us. The terms of employment in our company are simple- we are mercenaries, but we also strive to protect and save the innocent. All members are expected to obey the spirit, if not the letter, of the cyber-knight code. I suspect that you shall not find it incompatible with your own."


Yojimbo bows (as much as is possible in the APC, anyhow) and says to Sir Ronith, "Gojo is the name for the 5 virtues of my code." He takes a moment to elaborate about his code, and to understand the code of the cyber-knight, and their compatibility and slight differences. "I believe our codes are compatible as well, Sir Ronith Turand. It sounds as if you and I walk a similar path. I have heard of cyber-knights, but have never met one until now."

They sound much like Samurai... only, they do not seem to pledge their loyalty to any one lord but rather the set of ideals. Fascinating...

Noticing that the rest of the group seems tired from their presumed difficulties - something he does not suffer from himself (being indefatigable) - Yojimbo remains silent and wills his Ectoplasm hand to open his backpack, and goes through his art and crafting supplies to ensure they are all still intact. He is unsure, with his memory being "fuzzy", how long he was behind the strange door and wants to ensure his supplies are there. Interestingly enough, while doing so, he noticed he has 2 extra full magazines for his rail gun and a card with credits - though he does not recall where they came from.

Perhaps this will all become apparent with time... he thinks, remembering how his memory was previously lost and returned over time.




Upon arrival...

Ronith wrote:When they arrive, Ronith will instruct Weiss to park the APC by the outbuilding. "Alays, Jack, Yojimbo with me. The rest of you stay here until we have made sure the coast is clear." Unwilling to trust that there isn't another ambush waiting for them, Ronith steps out first and looks around the area. He is concerned that the mystic defenses they encountered earlier appear to be gone, but if his senses detect nothing hostile and his sixth sense remains quiescent, he will head to the front door and knock. Only if it is answered by someone friendly will he wave for the others to join him.


Yojimbo silently follows Ronith's instruction and accompanies him to the door. Whether or not he has his rail gun "at the ready" depends on the actions of his companions - if they have weapons ready, he will as well. If not, he will keep his rail gun shouldered.

I need a way to keep this close, but still have my hands free... perhaps a sling? he thinks while eyeballing the slings other members are using for their ranged weapons.

Why are we acting so wary if this is the safe haven Sir Ronith referred to? he thinks, a bit perplexed at the caution displayed, but presuming it is for good reason.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1000/1000
P.P.E.: 400/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried
KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun (carried in hands), NE-RV05 Ripper Vibro-Robot Sword (strapped across back in scabbard), NG-B50 ‘Thunderer’ BigBore Combat Hammer (hanging from his right side by a leather thong attached to the hilt)

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 am

Perception: 1d100 = 5
JIC: 1d20 = 15 & 1d100 = 42

As everyone get on board the APC Jack jumps on the boar and gets it warmed up. Before they get McGrath and the box in he tries to get a quick look at the box to see if it jogs any memories. After everybody is on board and the APC starts off he follows it closely as they travel keeping an eye out for anything unusual thinking to himself, Well it's all been unusual hasn't it. I guess I should look for stuff that is crazy unthinkable, and chuckles to himself.

When they arrive at the mansion and Rontih orders to follow him he climbs off the boar grabs his bow and keeps it ready. "No problem boss, you expecting trouble?" Jack falls in behind Ronith and take a good look around. "Should we be ready for action?" Jack looks over at the new guy, "Hey new guy. Well, newer guy. Maybe, newest guy. Whatever. You good at taking hits? Like a big ole wall? I can jump behind you if it get real?" Jack, thinking of patting him on the shoulder but not being as tall, pats him on the lower back.

"You got a sense of humor in that suit?" Turning his attention back to the mansion and the land around it he looks around to see if he can pick up anything dangerous looking or hidden. As they walk to the door he says to Rontih, "Shouldn't we figure out what is in the box, boss. The gentle giant here wasn't so bad to pull out of that hell whole. Who knows what that whack job has in that box though. It could be a pair of used undies and it could be the soul of some evil demon waiting to ravage earth. Either way we would be better off knowing, no?"


Detect Ambush 45% vs 1d100 = 57 - looking for potential hidden attacks at the mansion.
Detect Concealment 40% vs 1d100 = 90 - looking for traps at the mansion.
Lore: Magic --Recognize Enchantment 25% vs 1d100 = 1 - Does the box itself look enchanted.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Sun May 12, 2019 6:11 pm

**ROLLS HELD**


Jack McDermott wrote:When they arrive at the mansion and Rontih orders to follow him he climbs off the boar grabs his bow and keeps it ready. "No problem boss, you expecting trouble?" Jack falls in behind Ronith and take a good look around. "Should we be ready for action?" Jack looks over at the new guy, "Hey new guy. Well, newer guy. Maybe, newest guy. Whatever. You good at taking hits? Like a big ole wall? I can jump behind you if it get real?" Jack, thinking of patting him on the shoulder but not being as tall, pats him on the lower back.


Yojimbo nods at Jack's question. "Indeed you may," says Yojimbo to Jack as he holds his rail gun at the ready.

Jack McDermott wrote:"You got a sense of humor in that suit?" Turning his attention back to the mansion and the land around it he looks around to see if he can pick up anything dangerous looking or hidden. As they walk to the door he says to Rontih, "Shouldn't we figure out what is in the box, boss. The gentle giant here wasn't so bad to pull out of that hell whole. Who knows what that whack job has in that box though. It could be a pair of used undies and it could be the soul of some evil demon waiting to ravage earth. Either way we would be better off knowing, no?"


"Is this a safe haven?" asks Yojimbo to no one in particular.

It does not seem safe from the way they react.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1000/1000
P.P.E.: 400/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried
KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun (carried in hands), NE-RV05 Ripper Vibro-Robot Sword (strapped across back in scabbard), NG-B50 ‘Thunderer’ BigBore Combat Hammer (hanging from his right side by a leather thong attached to the hilt)

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Mon May 13, 2019 5:08 am

Perception: 76% /81% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 33 (SUCCESS)

JIC: 1d20 = 6
1d100 = 66

During the ride on the APC, Ashlynn cleans her gear, humming incessantly. Her eyes dart frequently to the window, however, belying her outer calmness - or what passes for calmness where Ashlynn's concerned.

Ronith wrote:"Alays, Jack, Yojimbo with me. The rest of you stay here until we have made sure the coast is clear."


"Roger-Dodger, boss man! We've got your six!"

Yojimbo wrote:"Is this a safe haven?"


Ash shrugs. "It was when we left, but the city was crawlin' with Sunaj, and they were tryin' to get in. Stay safe."

As the group heads toward the house, Ash positions herself in the APC's turret, where she can keep an eye out for hostiles. She scans the street looking for out-of-place individuals and possible threats.

Streetwise 58% 1d100 = 4 (CRIT SUCCESS)
Streetwise 58% 1d100 = 8 (SUCCESS)
Streetwise 58% 1d100 = 25 (SUCCESS)

I.D. Undercover Agent 68% 1d100 = 43 (SUCCESS)
I.D. Undercover Agent 68% 1d100 = 26 (SUCCESS)
I.D. Undercover Agent 68% 1d100 = 52 (SUCCESS)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 am

Perception 50% 1d100 = 96
JIC 1d100 = 13 1d20 = 20

Weiss gives Beltin a thumbs up as he attaches the language translator to his harness. As the situation round the entrance looked to have calmed down, Weiss takes the opportunity to dig out the e-clip charger stored in the APC. He plugs in one of his empty clips to begin the recharging process. That place took a toll on my ammo situation. best not get caught short.

"Everything okay whilst we were gone?" he asks Whynne and Beltin, as he climbs into the driver's seat. he takes off his helmet and breathes deep glad to be breathing fresh air and not stuff filtering through the helmet. Starting up the APC, he runs the sensors to make sure there was nothing untoward attached to the battered vehicle.

OOC Comments
Sensory Equipment 74% 1d100 = 66 runs scan on the bomb detector


As Ronith invites Yojimbo along, Weiss does some quick calculations based on assumptions of the newcomer's weight and how the APC creaks when Yojimbo comes onboard.
"Welcome abroad the Heroes Train. However, please don't take a chair, they are not designed be able to cope with somebody as heavy as you." Weiss' voice is matter of fact, "either sit there," Weiss points to a section of the main cabin where there is minimal equipment and weight already, "or you'll need to go in the cargo bay.

Ronith wrote:When they arrive, Ronith will instruct Weiss to park the APC by the outbuilding. "Alays, Jack, Yojimbo with me. The rest of you stay here until we have made sure the coast is clear."


Yojimbo wrote:"Is this a safe haven?" asks Yojimbo to no one in particular.


"Supposed to be," Weiss responds, his obvious in his opinion that he did not entirely think so, "too much else here that concerns me." He looks at McGrath who elicits both sympathy and concern from Weiss for his condition.
"You can tell how messed up he is when he is not responding to certain people's presence."

He activates the razor and opens a direct link to Ronith, so that nobody else can hear them.

"We're on a private channel. What is the plan regarding the McGraths? Considering Horne and his associates were not exactly forthcoming or proven to be able to deal with the Sunaj. We may have dealt with them for now, but this place is just a target."
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Tue May 14, 2019 9:50 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 5/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 8/1d100 = 3

The ride on the APC is restful for Barracuda. He keeps his eyes open but lets his body relax, focusing on nothing in particular but letting his mind float back to the scene behind Broken Door. That was like, a parable about like, wasting your life. It was the embodiment of like, stagnation and it was depressing! Even though it was dangerous, watching the magic flow back into the world really stuck with me. Oh man, I wonder if my clock is still grey like it was back there or if it changed? Barracuda reaches into his backpack and takes a look at the clock that he stashed.

When they arrive at the building, Barracuda does as Ronith instructs and waits in the APC for a signal.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Thu May 16, 2019 5:21 am

Jack McDermott wrote:Perception: Original post: 1d100 = 5
JIC: Original post: 1d20 = 15 & Original post: 1d100 = 42


Yojimbo wrote:"Is this a safe haven?" asks Yojimbo to no one in particular.


Keeping his eyes forward and focussed Jack replies to YoJimbo's question, all be it another question.

"Have you ever known any place to be a safe Haven?" I wonder where this dude, thing, it... What the hell is it? A safe place? Really? Jack thinks to himself that this being may be the strangest creature he has met to date. "I don't know where you come from but I haven't known a safe place for a long time. A really long time. I have given up hope they exist. You ever find a safe place you bee sure to let me know. Until then don't let your guard down."

This thing, it's almost child like. It seems so innocent. but those claws, the armor. The rail gun! No child carries a rail gun. It must be a scam. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this one. Nothing is this innocent anymore. Nothing! Jack moves along waiting for any further orders from Ronith and keeping his eyes focused on the house and his bow at the ready.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Thu May 16, 2019 5:33 am

**ROLLS HELD**

Jack McDermott wrote:"Have you ever known any place to be a safe Haven?" I wonder where this dude, thing, it... What the hell is it? A safe place? Really? Jack thinks to himself that this being may be the strangest creature he has met to date. "I don't know where you come from but I haven't known a safe place for a long time. A really long time. I have given up hope they exist. You ever find a safe place you bee sure to let me know. Until then don't let your guard down."


"I have found a few. Always temporary, as all things are. Sir Ronith Turand said we were going to a safe haven," replies the metallic behemoth to Jack.

But we are not acting as if this is a safe haven... he thinks.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1000/1000
P.P.E.: 400/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried
KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun (carried in hands), NE-RV05 Ripper Vibro-Robot Sword (strapped across back in scabbard), NG-B50 ‘Thunderer’ BigBore Combat Hammer (hanging from his right side by a leather thong attached to the hilt)

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Fri May 17, 2019 7:01 am

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 5:01am
Climate: 50F, pre-dawn skies, clear stars, gentle breeze
Visibility: 1 miles
Terrain: Affluent residential neighborhood
Active Radio Traffic
Heavy magic activity within 500ft


The battered APC rumbles along the mostly empty streets. Crossing the bridge back into Dweomer proper the Heroes' eyes are drawn to every moving shadow after their long engagement with Sunaj forces. They know that at least one still remains somewhere along with a merc of mysterious capability. But will they push the attack with their likely leader eliminated? The APC startles a few people taking their morning constitutionals. More than a few look horrified at the presence of the APC, no doubt linking it to its origins.

Weiss had cleared the vehicle as far as the onboard systems can indicate, looking for radio signals from explosives. Weiss can see the years of wear on the controls. The collected grime in the crevices tell the long battle history of the machine. Whatever issues the CS has, engineering isn't one of them as he well knows.

Grant contacts Dwoemer's security forces to check in on the state of the body. It is verified to still be intact and present.

Barracuda inspects the clock. To his delight, the clock seems to have a new vibrance. A light coating of rust on the unpainted metal surfaces on the back of the clock is appearing, but nothing a little elbow grease won't fix but it does provide a nice patina to the piece.

Ronith leads Yojimbo, Jack and Alays on a quick patrol to clear the premise. Grant aids them in avoiding the magic traps still covering the property. After careful examination, Ronith seems content and gives the all clear.

A door on the outbuilding opens and Ronith sees Horne himself standing in the doorway beckoning them. Once inside, he leads them to a cleverly concealed trap door. Horne looks sadly at McGrath's state but offers a small smile. "I'm glad you found him alive." He levitates McGrath's body as everyone makes their way into the tunnel under the outbuilding. Following it, they come out from behind a bookcase in Horne's basement.

He leads everyone to a spare room in the basement, indicating for them to place McGrath there. Amidt the bustle, Horne's friends make their appearance along with Elizabeth. Naturally overcome with emotion, she watches others attend to him, but she keeps her distance until room is made for her. She tends to his wounds but there is still a combination of frustration and resentment in her eyes.

Horne inquires as to the current state of their enemies. And listens to whatever they have to say. If they disclose the entirety of the combat he will breathe a sigh of relief.

After a few moments, Elizabeth approaches Ronith in particular and draws him away for a private conversation. "Among your number is a mindbender, is there not? I am done with this who mania. So many things have happened to him. It's killing him. What would you charge to simply wipe those memories away? Just clear it away. Is it possible? Name your price." Her eyes almost have their own manic light to them. She looks tired but determined. Obviously this whole affair has worn on her.

As various people have inspected the box, nothing seems apparent aside from a few basic facts: It's a sealed container, it isn't magical though it does have a vague, odd aura about it and there is a latch, though it's locked.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Fri May 17, 2019 7:35 am

Perception: 1d100 = 4
JIC: 1d20 = 19 and 1d100 = 47

Jack follows the team as they make there way through the tunnel to the room in the basement. His unease increases a bit as more strangers join them and he makes his way to a back corner so he can keep an eye on the group and no one can get behind him. He watches closely and listens to what is being said. Horne's apparently magical nature leaves him wary of the man and the fact that Ronith was extremely cautious when walking up to the house doesn't help his nerves at all.

To think, the pointy eared elf actually has grown on me a bit. Still remains to be seen if they can all be trusted. Growing impatient, not really caring too much about McGrath as much as everyone else seems too Jack speaks up, "So glad you all have the strange dude all taken care of, but does anyone care what's in the box?" He looks around briefly to see if anyone hears or reacts to his question. He looks to Ronith, "Maybe I'm over stepping my bounds here, but if that box has anything in it meant for where we just came from we should know sooner than later. We finally have Gary Busey in a place others can care for him, lets open this damn thing and see if their is some crazy magic bomb inside"

Maybe this Horne guy knows what's in the box? Shit, maybe it's bad, really bad. "Any of you new people already know the answer? Like is it a scrap book box or something? Should we be afraid? Jack adds the final statement in general to the group hoping someone will be of a like mind as him.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Fri May 17, 2019 8:29 am

JIC: 1d20 = 19, 1d100 = 71
PER: 1d100 = 47 vs. 66% (+15% hearing)
Conditions
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


Jack McDermott wrote:"No problem boss, you expecting trouble?" Jack falls in behind Ronith and take a good look around. "Should we be ready for action?"
Ronith shrugs. "Better safe than sorry, as you humans like to say. The last time we were here this compound was heavily warded- if those wards are gone now, it may be because we defeated the Sunaj it battle. It may be for other, more sinister reasons- given Professor McGrath's condition a cautious approach seemed prudent."

Weiss wrote:"We're on a private channel. What is the plan regarding the McGraths? Considering Horne and his associates were not exactly forthcoming or proven to be able to deal with the Sunaj. We may have dealt with them for now, but this place is just a target."
Ronith takes a moment to cup his earbud radio and reply in a low voice. "If those wards the last time we were here are any indication, Horne should be up to the task. Even if he is not, the Splugorth's interest in McGrath should end with his involvement with whatever is behind Broken Door. More likely than not we shall be the targets by that point, and McGrath will be better off well away from us."

Ronith finally relaxes when he sees that Horne is alright, and allows him to take custody of McGrath's unconscious form- though the cyber-knight will follow along closely until McGrath and his wife are reunited. At Horne's inquiry, Ronith responds "One of the assassins, and one of their pet mercenaries, escaped and are presently at large. Their leader among others we slew, and the rest are currently in the custody of the authorities. I believe it best that you not relax your vigilance, but for now I suspect that they are unlikely to attack."

Ronith debates whether to keep the fact that they retrieved the case to himself, but in the end Horne has been nothing but kind and upfront with them, making Ronith loath to lie to the man. "We retrieved the case he was after as well. I realize that our agreement was with Elizabeth, and not with you Master Horne, but I believe it important that we take the case with us when we depart Dweomer. If nothing else, it should draw the Sunaj away from you and the McGraths. But more to the point- I have reason to believe that our presence at the Wither Gate may soon be required. From what you told us of this case, its contents are connected. We may need it- with your permission, we shall take it when we leave this place." Ronith won't press the issue for now, but he is prepared to negotiate... strenuously... to be able to take the case with them.

Virtus wrote:"Among your number is a mindbender, is there not? I am done with this who mania. So many things have happened to him. It's killing him. What would you charge to simply wipe those memories away? Just clear it away. Is it possible? Name your price."
Ronith allows himself to be led away, and will respond to Elizabeth in a quiet (and gentle) voice. "A mind melter, yes. Heroes for Hire does not charge money to heal the sick, Elizabeth, and I shall be happy to instruct Beltin to do what he can. But I must request a favor first. It is imperative that we learn all that we can about that case and its contents- your husband is the likeliest source of information we have, by far. With your permission, Beltin and I shall probe his memories to see what we can learn, before I have Beltin wipe them. Know that our offer to heal your husband is not contingent upon you acceding to this request- but I would not ask if I did not think it important. Lives-hanging-in-the-balance important. May we proceed?"

Assuming Elizabeth gives her blessing, Ronith will approach Beltin and tell him what needs to be done. Ronith has no doubt that, as a former psychic healer, his second will agree to Elizabeth's request. Ronith will let Beltin take the lead, but when the time comes to probe McGrath's memory Ronith will assist using his own superior telepathy ((-8 ISP)). Once they've gotten all they can, Ronith will disengage and allow Beltin to proceed with the mind wipe.

Jack McDermott wrote:"So glad you all have the strange dude all taken care of, but does anyone care what's in the box?"
Ronith replies firmly. "Patience, Jack. First we try to learn what could be inside, and what the risks of opening it may be. Then we can try opening it."
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 4/66; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 54/86; EBA and cyber-armor destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Fri May 17, 2019 9:24 am

Perception: 76% /81% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 48 (SUCCESS)

JIC: 1d20 = 16
1d100 = 93

After Ronith, Yojimbo, Jack, and Alays return from scouting, she makes her way inside Horne's house with the others, silently geeking out about the secret tunnel.

SECRET TUNNEL? Oh. My. Gourd! "We have got to get one of these."

Once inside, Ashlynn's fatigue starts to weigh on her in obvious ways. She sits down, and reaches across her shoulders to unclip the Mystery Box (TM) from her harness, and then begins rubbing her shoulders.

She pulls off her gloves and helmet, and sets them aside, revealing some of the numerous burns, cuts, and bruises that have yet to heal.

Jack wrote:"So glad you all have the strange dude all taken care of, but does anyone care what's in the box?"


Ash looks at Jack with tired eyes. "I'm sure we do, I mean... I want to see what's inside... but for all we know it could be a real Panda's Box." After a beat, she adds, "You know? Full of bad juju."

As Ronith talks with Horne and Elizabeth, Ash eyes them warily, trying to gauge their reactions.

Eyeball a Fella 74% 1d100 = 16 (Horne - SUCCESS)

Eyeball a Fella 74% 1d100 = 88 (Elizabeth - FAIL)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Fri May 17, 2019 10:02 am

During the various discussions, Horne is surprised by the newcomers, asking Ronith about them. "I can presume these new folk are trustworthy? You make many friends." Even so he keeps a wary eye on them.

Elizabeth listens to Ronith's request. She laughs, obviously from the stress, and says, "Yes, that's fine. Whatever. I never want to hear of any of this again. I never want to see any of it. Nothing. Ever."
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Fri May 17, 2019 10:49 am

Perception: 1d100 = 12/37%
JIC(20): 1d20 = 17
JIC(100): 1d100 = 59




Yojimbo takes everything in, trying to ascertain what is going on by the various conversations he picks up. Once Ronith and the rest let their guard down and relax, so to speak, Yojimbo follows suit and shoulders his rail gun.

The man the Heroes for Hire had with them- the one Sir Ronith Turand refers to as Professor McGrath - seems to be key... that must be his wife, there... he thinks as he sees Elizabeth. There was an attack by assassins, which were defeated... There seems to be some interest in that box... and this other man seems to be someone of import. Perhaps the owner of the building?

Once he sees Ashlynn rub her shoulders and remove her gloves and helmet, and sees her injuries, he walks over to within 3 feet of her and says, "Please.. allow me to help you."

Assuming Ashlynn does not resist or refuse, Yojimbo then proceeds to cast [8000FF]Heal Wounds[/color] on her.

Heal Wounds
Range: Touch or 3 feet (0.9 m) away.
Duration: Instant.
Saving Throw: Standard, if the person resists the magic.
P.P.E.: Ten
This powerful invocation will instantly heal minor physical wounds, such as bruises, cuts, gashes, bullet wounds, burned flesh and pulled
muscles. It will not help against illness, internal damage to organs or nerves, broken bones or poisons/drugs.
In the case of bullet wounds, the bullet should be removed first. If the bullet is left inside a person it will be a constant irritant causing
chronic pain; reduce the character's P.E. attribute by one and P.P. attribute by one (and attribute bonuses accordingly) due to stiffness and
discomfort.
The magic restores 3D6 S.D.C. and 1D6 Hit Points.

rolls: 3d6 = 6 S.D.C. and 1d6 = 2 Hit Points restored


After casting the spell, Yojimbo explains to Ashlynn, "Although I am not familiar with mundane healing, I do have some ability to heal others magically."

Seeing that the spell helped, but Ashlynn is still quite hurt, he casts it a second time.

Heal Wounds #2
3d6 = 12 S.D.C., 1d6 = 5 Hit Points restored


Then, "Can you tell me about what happened? I am unfamiliar with many of the things being spoken here."
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1000/1000
P.P.E.: 400/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried
KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun (carried in hands), NE-RV05 Ripper Vibro-Robot Sword (strapped across back in scabbard), NG-B50 ‘Thunderer’ BigBore Combat Hammer (hanging from his right side by a leather thong attached to the hilt)

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Fri May 17, 2019 11:23 am

Perception 50% 1d100 = 50
JIC 1d100 = 73 1d20 = 7

Satisfied that the APC was safe to drive

Ronith wrote:"If those wards the last time we were here are any indication, Horne should be up to the task. Even if he is not, the Splugorth's interest in McGrath should end with his involvement with whatever is behind Broken Door. More likely than not we shall be the targets by that point, and McGrath will be better off well away from us."


"Guess we are already targets. First thing we do then is boost the defenses of the Haven when we get back." Weiss replies grimly
Gone from the saucepan to the fire and still no sign of Jaz.

Weiss follows up the rear, having made sure to lock down the APC as they leave.

"Everybody remember where we parked."

As they enter through the tunnels and into the basement, Weiss hangs at the back, keeping an eye on everyone. As Jack suggests opening the box and Ronith suggests checking it over first, Weiss steps forward and looks at it.

OOC Comments
Pick Locks 64% 1d100 = 31 Ascertain how difficult it would be to pick the lock
Mechanical Engineer 49% 1d100 = 36 assess the construction of the box
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 am

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100 = 65
JIC: 1d20 = 1, 1d100 = 44

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 14
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 46/78
  • P.P.E.: 287/610
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


With the knowledge that the Dweomer has acknowledge receiving the body of the Sunaj, Grant relaxes a bit more on the drive.

When the APC finally stops, Grant opens his eyes. He pulls a cloth from a pocket and wipes his face. Standing up, he falls in step behind Alays and then using his magical senses scans the area for anything potentially dangerous. Not finding anything, he says, "Magically, I don't see anything that wasn't here previously."


Upon seeing Mr. Horne, he smiles, but does not wave and follows the group into the man's (dragon's) home. His defenses have continued to hold while we were gone. Of course that may mean they all came after us...which is still a good thing since we whipped them pretty good...which of course means since at least two escaped, when they do come back, they will be even more dangerous. We can hope that their failure causes their master so much anger that they are killed before explaining anything.

The mage stays clear of the reunion, letting Sir Ronith lead the conversation.


Virtus wrote:As various people have inspected the box, nothing seems apparent aside from a few basic facts: It's a sealed container, it isn't magical though it does have a vague, odd aura about it and there is a latch, though it's locked.
"

When the question of the box comes up, Grant says, "It's not, or doesn't appear to be magical in and of itself. But may have been used in some sort of magical ritual in the past." He looks towards the still unconscious Professor. When Sir Ronith states that he now wants to examine the man's memories, he nods in agreement. "There's a few other things, psychic options, to try and learn a bit of it's history. And when it's time to open it, there is some magic I can cast to fortify the person doing it to make them more resistant to any malignant forces."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Fri May 17, 2019 11:34 am

Perception: 1d100 = 28/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 14/1d100 = 25

Alright! The clock changed too! Just a little bit of rust, nothing too bad. I think this is gonna go up on my wall back at the Haven. A small smile creeps across Ben's tired face as he rests in the APC.

He follows the rest of the team in through the outbuilding and secret passageway into Horne's basement. "Whoa. Secret passageway. Cool stuff. Do we have one of these, Ronith?"

When Mr. Horne and Elizabeth Stack look over Professor Connor McGrath's unconscious body, Barracuda turns his attention toward the case they recovered. We just went to a magicless land filled with zombies and a creepy tower to find a withered crazy man clutching for life onto this box. What is in the box? Barracuda keeps his eyes on it as the rest talk.
Ronith wrote:
Jack McDermott wrote:"So glad you all have the strange dude all taken care of, but does anyone care what's in the box?"
Ronith replies firmly. "Patience, Jack. First we try to learn what could be inside, and what the risks of opening it may be. Then we can try opening it."
At least someone else said it so I don't look like the weirdo.
Ashlynn wrote:Ash looks at Jack with tired eyes. "I'm sure we do, I mean... I want to see what's inside... but for all we know it could be a real Panda's Box." After a beat, she adds, "You know? Full of bad juju."

"Panda's... Box. That's... that's exactly what it's called." Hahahahaha!!!
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 am

(rolls carried over)

Yojimbo wrote:"Please.. allow me to help you."


Ashlynn nods tiredly, and reaches out her hand to him. As his healing energies wash over her, she feels somewhat rejuvenated, and smiles up at the metal behemoth.

Yojimbo wrote:"Although I am not familiar with mundane healing, I do have some ability to heal others magically."


Without a hint of irony, she says. "That was just what I needed. Thank you, Yojimbo."

Barracuda wrote:"Panda's... Box. That's... that's exactly what it's called."


Ash looks at him quizzically. "What? Did I say something wrong? It... it's Panda's Box, right?"

Yojimbo wrote:"Can you tell me about what happened? I am unfamiliar with many of the things being spoken here."



Ashlynn nods. "Sure! I met up with Weiss at the city gates of MercTown and we took a job to find a truck that belonged to a Larmac named Boggs - he's upstairs - we found the truck and..." she breathes, "...these guys tried to blow it up but they didn't and we tracked down the person who'd hired him to escort someone to Dweomer and went there and met Ronith - SIR Ronith - and the Heroes for Hire and they were on the same case so we joined up and we searched McGrath's room at the magic guild and he had some bottles he'd used to send a secret message not to trust the chick we'd just met so we figured it out and - that's her over there, Alari Whyne - and we deciphered a bunch of clues we had from various sources and put two and two together and the Sunaj kept attacking us and they tried to blow up our headquarters but I blew it up instead and then we came to Dweomer to find McGrath and he was totally here but really he wasn't it was that guy Horne in disguise and we left Mrs. McGrath here with them and left to track down the Broken Door but Sunaj attacked us again and one of them tore my arms off real good but we won and they lost and I didn't die which is really good because I'm not ready to die yet so we went through the door to find McGrath and - that's where we met you - and now we're back and we brought him here and his wife is there but she don't seem real happy but we got this box and Ronith thinks we might need it so we're prolly gonna take it with us."

She breathes.

"That's everything, I think."
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Fri May 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Jack McDermott wrote:Perception: Original post: 1d100 = 4
JIC: Original post: 1d20 = 19 and Original post: 1d100 = 47


Ronith wrote:Ronith replies firmly. "Patience, Jack. First we try to learn what could be inside, and what the risks of opening it may be. Then we can try opening it."


Rontih replies and Jack keeps his thoughts to himself, It gonna end up being a stuffed animal after all this drama and worry. I can see it now. All of us guns drawn and what does Ronith pull out, a frakin teddy bear.

"Sure boss, patience. I have some of that. I'll check the reserve tank." he replies to Rontih. He watches Weiss walk over the box and start checking out the lock, is he gonna pick that thing?, he wonders. Then he is totally distracted by Ashlynn's reply to Yojimbo.

Jack's jaw drops, wide as he listens to her tell the whole story non stop. Nobody can see it of course because he still has his helmet on but the aww on his face is tremendous. Did she really just hold her breath for all that? The possibilities are endless. When she finishes, "Holy cow Ash. Breathe much? You missed your calling. You should have been the one reading all the fine print at the end of a pharmaceutical commercial. You would have made a killing!" Jack chuckles slightly. "I missed the part where the handsome stranger joined you guys in Dwoermer. Can you tell the story again?"

Jack looks around at the group, "I got nothing, just looks like a box to me. I just hate not knowing. You know like at Christmas time, when you find your presents in your parents closet but there already wrapped. You shake it, you sniff it and you listen real close. Yeah that's how I feel right now. Just want to know what Mom and Dad got us for Christmas. Might be a crappy gift, might be the best gift ever. The suspense is killing me." With that he leans back against the wall and sighs.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 pm

**ROLLS HELD**

Yojimbo listens to Ashlynn's manic explanation, slowly absorbing all of it.

After she finishes, he nods. "Thank you for that explanation," he says without a hint of sarcasm.

She talks fast.

"If there is a concern about opening Panda's box that could be potentially dangerous, I volunteer to open it" he says to the group and Ronith in particular.

Then, a moment later: "Can we not just ask Panda what is inside?"
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1000/1000
P.P.E.: 400/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried
KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun (carried in hands), NE-RV05 Ripper Vibro-Robot Sword (strapped across back in scabbard), NG-B50 ‘Thunderer’ BigBore Combat Hammer (hanging from his right side by a leather thong attached to the hilt)

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Fri May 17, 2019 12:37 pm

(Rolls carried)

Jack McDermott wrote:"I missed the part where the handsome stranger joined you guys in Dwoermer. Can you tell the story again?"


Ash smirks. "Um, YEAH. I met Weiss outside the gates to MercTown where we got hired to find Bogg's truck and we had this guy Yanso with us who was a cyborg and we totally found the truck and we heard about how he had taken a job to get some guy McGrath to Dweomer and there'd been some other guys - brothers named Bud and Trak Gorsin - who'd got killed tryin' the same job, so we went to search McGrath's room at the magic guild or whatever and his room was TOTALLY a mess but he'd left some empty wine bottles that spelled out a message about Alari Whyne and so we OH but we met Ronith and the Heroes for Hire there when we went and they were with us at the time, so we questioned the lady and left and went home and Mrs. McGrath came and hired us to find her husband but Sunaj attacked and we blew up our headquarters so we took the job and went to Dweomer but Yanso left us and Barric and Watcher and a couple others I think - I don't know everyone who was at the headquarters real well - but at Dweomer we drove to Horne's house 'cause he was McGrath's contact or something, but when we got here it was all fortified 'cause Sunaj were trying to get in but they let us in and Horne was disguised as McGrath but it didn't fool anyone so we went to the Broken Door thingy and Sunaj attacked us - I almost died but I didn't and Grant put my arms back on which I'm real thankful for - and that's where we met you, Jack, and Alays, and we went in and it was all trashy and drab and it sucked all the magic outta everything but we followed some directions we had and found McGrath in a house and carried him and his fancy carton outta there and back and you know all this part already 'cause you were with us but we came back through and Yojimbo came with us and I was all "Hi! I'm Ashlynn!" and you guys know all the rest."

Yojimbo wrote:"Thank you for that explanation. If there is a concern about opening Panda's box that could be potentially dangerous, I volunteer to open it. Can we not just ask Panda what is inside?"


Ash tilts her head. "I think Panda died? I'm not real clear on the deets, there."
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Fri May 17, 2019 1:46 pm

***Rolls Held***

Jack hears Yojimbo ask about panda and thinks to himself, this is priceless, I can’t pass on this one. Panda. Holy cow. This is gonna be good.

He looks at Yojimbo and says, ”listen big guy, this is a sad sad story but I’m gonna tell you anyway because I think you can handle it. In fact, I know you can. Panda opened the box and the box killed her. Yep. It straight up killed her. She is dead and gone and there is nothing we can do about it now. Panda is gone! What we have is her box and we want to know what was so special in the box that made Panda open it. It had to be special right? I mean why else would Panda have opened it. And now that she is dead there is no way she can tell us what is in it. So we want to open the box and find out what panda found.”

He looks around at the group puts his arms up in a shrugging motion and says, ”Don’t we all want to know what Panda found?”
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Fri May 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Rolls carried

Weiss smiles behind his helmet as Ash provides an explanation, not once but twice at high speed; that girl, way too much enthusiasm. I swear I had some of that at some point.

"Ash, remember to breathe and occasionally pause when talking. It makes it easier to understand the story when you tell it," Weiss advises the young woman before quickly adding as he realises what potentially might happen next.

"That wasn't a request to tell it for a third time."


Jack McDermott wrote:He looks at Yojimbo and says, ”listen big guy, this is a sad sad story but I’m gonna tell you anyway because I think you can handle it. In fact, I know you can. Panda opened the box and the box killed her. Yep. It straight up killed her. She is dead and gone and there is nothing we can do about it now. Panda is gone! What we have is her box and we want to know what was so special in the box that made Panda open it. It had to be special right? I mean why else would Panda have opened it. And now that she is dead there is no way she can tell us what is in it. So we want to open the box and find out what panda found.”

He looks around at the group puts his arms up in a shrugging motion and says, ”Don’t we all want to know what Panda found?”


Weiss looks at him and then shakes his head, placing his fingers near his eyes in despair. At this rate, they are going to pay us just to get rid of us.

"There is no Panda," Weiss says slowly, as to make it clear, especially to Yojimbo. He did not want the Giant ... man, golem, small robot... whatever he was wrecking the box because of Jack.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Alays » Fri May 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 79 / 39%
JIC: 1d20 = 6
JIC: 1d100 = 33
Conditions: Sixth Sense, Dissociative identity disorder: Ivor=Orange, Lillian=Pink, Jessie=Purple



Alays follows Ronith and then other around to check the perimeter before Ronith signal the rest of the group the all clear. Alays is a bit taken back by the hidden tunnel system underneath the compound. As he walks through the door way he takes a good look at how the for is constructed and concealed. Continuing further in the tunnels, Alays makes a point to look for other things concealed throughout.

I can't believe that I missed that door. I must be getting full or maybe I am just getting too complacent. Is this tunnel for an exit or is it an entrance? He has to have others, otherwise why would he allow us to know about it?

Appearing from behind a bookshelf I the basement, Alays finds a place in the corner to keep himself out of everyone's way. A sense of paranoia creeps in the more of Horne's companions enter and look over McGrath. He keeps an eye out for anything that might be suspicious.

Elizabeth wrote:"Among your number is a mindbender, is there not? I am done with this who mania. So many things have happened to him. It's killing him. What would you charge to simply wipe those memories away? Just clear it away. Is it possible? Name your price."


Simply wipe his memory? I don't think it is just that simple. The Monday is a powerful thing, especially in the right hands. Why would anyone want to try and destroy their mind let alone wipe out memories?... Oh, that right, what am I talking about.

Alays whispers a chuckle to himself. He watches as the group exchanges stories and information. Alays is surprised by Ashlynn's gift of gab and lung capacity. He lets the group do their thing or the others helping McGrath. When the question of what's in the box is brought up, Alays' curiosity and ears perk up. Waiting in anticipation of a speculation or the actual opening of the box, he's anxious to find an answer.

Detect Concealment -1d100 = 14- 55% - to look for any other hidden doors
Detect Ambush -1d100 = 61- 55% - to look for any type of surprise attack
User avatar
Alays
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Tue May 21, 2019 7:54 am

(rolls carried)

Grant listens to the banter between Jack and Ashlynn, along with Yojimbo's attempt to determine if what they are saying is true or not as if he were hearing it from a much longer distance than the space of the room. The Lord Magi gets the joke and notes in an objective way that he would have laugh out loud at the antics not that long ago. Do I miss this? It takes Grant a long moment to consider, I do, but the 'when' is more important now.

Previous discussion with Mr. Horne and his associates indicated that the box should contain power source of some kind. The lack of active magic emanating from it means it should be relatively safe to open; handling it directly may be another matter. It might be like an energy sponge and touch might draw the magical energy it comes into direct contact.

Lore: Magic (Recognize Magic Symbols and Runes) 104% vs 1d100 = 3


Grant moves towards the box and puts out his hand but does not touch it. He looks over the box with a critical eye to locate any writing or symbols that might have meaning to him. If there is writing that he doesn't recognize, he will cast Eyes of Thoth (8 PPE). Once he's examined the outside, he casts X-Ray Vision (25 PPE) to see what is inside the box.

Weiss wrote:"There is no Panda," Weiss says slowly, as to make it clear, especially to Yojimbo. He did not want the Giant ... man, golem, small robot... whatever he was wrecking the box because of Jack.


"I agree with John," Grant says. "If the creator of whatever is in the box was named 'Panda' that would be an extreme coincidence. What should be in the box is some sort of power source, possibly depleted."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Tue May 21, 2019 11:04 am

**ROLLS HELD**

Ashlynn wrote:Ash tilts her head. "I think Panda died? I'm not real clear on the deets, there."


Jack McDermott wrote:He looks at Yojimbo and says, ”listen big guy, this is a sad sad story but I’m gonna tell you anyway because I think you can handle it. In fact, I know you can. Panda opened the box and the box killed her. Yep. It straight up killed her. She is dead and gone and there is nothing we can do about it now. Panda is gone! What we have is her box and we want to know what was so special in the box that made Panda open it. It had to be special right? I mean why else would Panda have opened it. And now that she is dead there is no way she can tell us what is in it. So we want to open the box and find out what panda found.”

He looks around at the group puts his arms up in a shrugging motion and says, ”Don’t we all want to know what Panda found?”


Weiss wrote:"There is no Panda," Weiss says slowly, as to make it clear, especially to Yojimbo. He did not want the Giant ... man, golem, small robot... whatever he was wrecking the box because of Jack.


Grant Latham wrote:"I agree with John," Grant says. "If the creator of whatever is in the box was named 'Panda' that would be an extreme coincidence. What should be in the box is some sort of power source, possibly depleted."


Yojimbo is thoroughly confused now. Ashlynn said "Panda's box", the others either confirm the box belongs to Panda, or deny Panda entirely. Whom to believe? thinks the Holy Terror as he silently ponders the conflicting information given by various group members.

Perhaps this is a cultural ritual or rite-of-passage of some sort?

Skill Roll!
Anthropology (try to figure out if the joke/confusing talk is a cultural ritual/rite of passage) --> 1d100 = 69/ 42%


Finding no relief in attempting to understand the group's prank via his study of anthropology, Yojimbo simply resigns himself to other concerns and watches and listens to the interaction between the other group members.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1000/1000
P.P.E.: 400/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Armor Worn or Carried
KLS-RG-15X Manpack Electromagnetic Rail Gun (carried in hands), NE-RV05 Ripper Vibro-Robot Sword (strapped across back in scabbard), NG-B50 ‘Thunderer’ BigBore Combat Hammer (hanging from his right side by a leather thong attached to the hilt)

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Tue May 21, 2019 2:47 pm

rolls carried

Yojimbo wrote:Finding no relief in attempting to understand the group's prank via his study of anthropology, Yojimbo simply resigns himself to other concerns and watches and listens to the interaction between the other group members.


Weiss notices that Yojimbo seems somewhat perplexed by the group's antics and sighs. Oh boy, this guy is going to be such an easy mark for Ash and Jack.
OOC Comments
Weiss did pass his perception check


"Guys and gal, I don't think he got your joke at all," Weiss points out to the others, shaking his head slightly, "would one of you like to explain please?"
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

PreviousNext

Return to Heroes for Hire Adventure Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests