Beyond Broken Door

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:42 pm

**rolls held**

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn's eyes register the mistake and she immediately chuckles. She winks and points at Yojimbo. "Gotcha. he name is similar to how Hagbard used to tell me how to get outta his face when he was workin', when I was little. He had a buncha ways. Snipe hunt, the 'lets see how long you can hold your breath' game, and, yeah, the game of 'Go Away.' But yeah, if you're talkin' about a real game, I'm down. We can play, uh..." She sizes the Holy Terror up, wondering briefly how much damage he'd do to the upper floors, and discards the idea to suggest her room. "In the foyer? It's plenty big enough, and has the comfy chairs."

At his invitation, Huey chuffs a bit, but is otherwise uninterested in non-food-related games.

Yojimbo replies, "As long as it has a table or flat surface, for the board and pieces, that should do. You may use a chair if you like; I fear I would not be easily supported by anything not made to support the weight of a large truck, so instead, I will sit."

Jack wrote:"Listen Yojimbo, this doesn't have to be a party." Not that a party is a bad thing, he thinks spontaneously mid sentence. "This is more of an opportunity for the team to share time, talk, get to know each other. A bonding exercise. You don't feel comfy around booze. We find a place that is straight food. Maybe even diner and a show. I don't know a whole lot about Merctown but maybe they have some singers or dancers for entertainment during a meal. Either way, could be a good opportunity to learn our culture."

Hmm... there is value in learning about the culture, so... perhaps... he thinks, but before he speaks, he hears Ashlynn:

Ashlynn wrote:Shenanigans

She looks back to Yojimbo. "No drinking. I promise. An' I know you don't eat, but... I like having my Yojimbo around." She smiles. "First, you can teach me 'Go', and then we can go an' you can watch me eat." She grins.

"T'avi used to say it was fascinating."

”Happy to perform my duty,” he replies to the young girl.

Yojimbo stands and turns to Jack. "Hagakure tells us, 'If you aren't acknowledged and trusted by others, you will not be able to demonstrate your true worth, no matter how outstanding a person you may actually be.' Very well, Jack, I will join you for a team dinner."

He then begins to say something else to Jack, but hesitates.

Skill Roll: Anthropology (best way to approach Jack about his concerns) --> 1d100:
/42%

“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.” The passage from Hagakure weighes on his mind.

He decides against further discussion of the topic, and instead says to Jack, "Speaking of cultural enrichment, Jack - Ashlynn and I are going to play the ancient game of 'Go' before we join you. You are, of course, welcome to come along and learn how to play this game from another culture as well... if you are not already familiar with it. Would you like to join us?"

A Game of Go

Yojimbo goes with Ashlynn and Huey (and whomever else would like to accompany them) to the foyer (presuming it supports his weight) and sits - given his 10' height, it should put him not too far from eye level with Ashlynn while she is seated at a table.

He then carefully places the hand made board and hand-carved and painted Go pieces on the table.

"The ancient game of Go is almost 40 centuries old. It has only a few, easy to understand rules. Based on this, it sounds rather simple - and in some sense it is. But do not be deceived! While the game of Go is easy to learn, it is yet quite difficult to master."

"In ancient times, the future of a country was once decided over a Go board when the ruler refused to go into battle and instead he challenged the aggressor to a game of Go. It is a challenging, and intellectually rewarding, pursuit."

He then proceeds to explain the rules of the game to her, and plays a bit with her or whomever else would like to join in.

Skill Roll: Go (explain rules, play the game, etc) --> 1d100:
/37%
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60

Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
Yojimbo

Postby Zoe Barenger » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Zoe enters the foyer and sees a group around a table. As she watches, Zoe realizes that Yojimbo is trying to explain “GO” to the young lady. As she stands quietly and watches, she smiles. ”It is good to see them getting along. This is a good group. Ronith has done well with them.” She clears her throat gently to get the attention of those in the room. ”As you must know by now, I have allowed you all to go out for some R&R, but…. No shenanigans. If you do anything dumb, depending on what it is,you may be on your own. Remember you are representing Heroes 4 Hire even when having fun. As you were.” with that said, she eyeballs Jack and then turns and leaves the room.
Zoe Barenger
Assistant Game Master

Postby Ashlynn » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:13 am

Perception: 76% /81% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100:
(SUCCESS)
JIC: 1d20:

1d100:

A Game of Go

Yojimbo wrote:"The ancient game of Go is almost 40 centuries old. It has only a few, easy to understand rules. Based on this, it sounds rather simple - and in some sense it is. But do not be deceived! While the game of Go is easy to learn, it is yet quite difficult to master."

"In ancient times, the future of a country was once decided over a Go board when the ruler refused to go into battle and instead he challenged the aggressor to a game of Go. It is a challenging, and intellectually rewarding, pursuit."

Ashlynn absorbs this information, and scrutinizes the board. As he outlines the rules, which are deceptively simple, she thinks That sounds easy! and goes into the game with gusto, only to find herself hopelessly outclassed.

Not easily frustrated, she finds herself forced to think about strategy in this new game in a way which she had not had to previously. In short order, he manages to remove two of her stone's last "liberties" and capture them, and she screws up her face in concentration. At some point during the game, Huey wanders off to parts unknown in the Heroes Haven - perhaps in search of a gullible sucker to feed him.

Ashlynn, for her part, plays the game like she plays poker - by using her discerning eye to judge her opponent, rather than his moves. She can tell, sometimes, if a move or a bet is a bluff by reading a person, and she attempts to apply this skill to the game of Go.

Eyeball a Fella 74% 1d100:
(determine if moves are "lies" or "working an angle" - SUCCESS)

So... the stones can't be enclosed by enemy stones... and can't be played in a spot where they were previously played... This game is so simple, but with such a large board... it's ALL strategy.

She stops, and looks up at Yojimbo. She narrows her eyes. She nods her head in understanding. "I get it. You can tell who has a better mind for strategy by playing this game. If two rulers play, a war is a foregone conclusion, because the Go winner will probably also win the war, if everything else is equal. Right? An' you can't just look at one little corner of the board - you have to play the whole board, so there's, like, fakes and distractions and you can lay the groundwork for a larger strategy." She nods, satisfied. "I like it." She smiles. "We're gonna have to play this... like... a lot."

Shenanigans

When dinner-time rolls around, Ashlynn helps Yojimbo carefully lay the board aside, the game still in progress, so they can go out. She checks her look in the mirror, almost perfunctorily, before they go, to make sure her face isn't embarrassingly dirty, then announces. "Let's get moving! I'm Hungry!" and chuckles.

She turns to Yojimbo. "A girl gotta eat."

Huey gallops into the foyer. Ashlynn laughs at him. "Of COURSE we wouldn't leave without you! It's your dinner time too!"
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68

Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:29 am

Perception: 1d100:
/37%
JIC (100): 1d100:

JIC (20): 1d20:

Ashlynn wrote:She stops, and looks up at Yojimbo. She narrows her eyes. She nods her head in understanding. "I get it. You can tell who has a better mind for strategy by playing this game. If two rulers play, a war is a foregone conclusion, because the Go winner will probably also win the war, if everything else is equal. Right? An' you can't just look at one little corner of the board - you have to play the whole board, so there's, like, fakes and distractions and you can lay the groundwork for a larger strategy." She nods, satisfied. "I like it." She smiles. "We're gonna have to play this... like... a lot."

Wise beyond her years, this one.

Yojimbo nods. "You are most perceptive, Ashlynn. This kind of insight is rarely possessed by one so young. I would be happy to play this game with you... my skill at Go is lacking, and the only way to sharpen it is with another player such as yourself."

When dinner-time rolls around, Ashlynn helps Yojimbo carefully lay the board aside, the game still in progress, so they can go out. She checks her look in the mirror, almost perfunctorily, before they go, to make sure her face isn't embarrassingly dirty, then announces. "Let's get moving! I'm Hungry!" and chuckles.

She turns to Yojimbo. "A girl gotta eat."

Huey gallops into the foyer. Ashlynn laughs at him. "Of COURSE we wouldn't leave without you! It's your dinner time too!"

Yojimbo prepares to make the trip with the rest of the group.

Zoe Barenger wrote:”As you must know by now, I have allowed you all to go out for some R&R, but…. No shenanigans. If you do anything dumb, depending on what it is,you may be on your own. Remember you are representing Heroes 4 Hire even when having fun. As you were.” with that said, she eyeballs Jack and then turns and leaves the room.

Yojimbo thinks to himself, I see I am not the only one wary of Jack. I hope that he can curtail his mischievous impulses this time. Let us see.
Yojimbo
Current Status

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
Yojimbo

Postby Jack McDermott » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:17 pm

and 1d100:

Jack sits in the foyer watching Yojimbo and Ashlynn play. Hmm, that looks interesting. More of a chess guy myself, he thinks to himself. When Zoe walks in he perks up a little. He watches and listens. So who is in charge here? Zoe or Ronith? Weird, he wonders as she addresses the group.

Zoe Barenger wrote:Zoe enters the foyer and sees a group around a table. As she watches, Zoe realizes that Yojimbo is trying to explain “GO” to the young lady. As she stands quietly and watches, she smiles. ”It is good to see them getting along. This is a good group. Ronith has done well with them.” She clears her throat gently to get the attention of those in the room. ”As you must know by now, I have allowed you all to go out for some R&R, but…. No shenanigans. If you do anything dumb, depending on what it is,you may be on your own. Remember you are representing Heroes 4 Hire even when having fun. As you were.” with that said, she eyeballs Jack and then turns and leaves the room.

When she turns to look at him he says, "Don't worry about us, I'll make sure the kids don't misbehave." He winks slyly at her as she walks out of the room. You see that look she gave you Jacky boy? She is digging you for real. Better not make it too obvious though, don't want the others getting jealous. Jack seems almost floating as he watches Zoe leave the room.

Once she is out of site he turns back to the group. "So where can we go? Some place nice maybe. Something with entertainment? Good food. Who knows Merctown best?"
Maybe some place with dancers, or a band. Yeah, something classy like that?

Jack looks around the foyer for any phone books, do they even have those anymore? Feeling a bit out of time and out of place he walks back to the couch and sits with a puff. "What's it gonna be folks?"
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Ashlynn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:48 am

(Rolls carried over)

Shenanigans

Jack wrote:"So where can we go? Some place nice maybe. Something with entertainment? Good food. Who knows Merctown best? ...What's it gonna be folks?"

"OOH!" Ashlynn pulls out the map of Merctown she was given when she first arrived, and looks for likely destinations. "There's SO MANY places I wanna see! I've only seen the little descriptions on the map here, but there's The Sphinx and Unicorn Tavern, which is nearby - it's run by wizards I think? There's The Shuffle - which has food and live music; the Taste of the Town, which is supposed to be the best food in Merctown, I think, and OOH - The Flight Room is in the outskirts and is supposed to be LOADS of fun, I guess, depending on when you go. Of course, we can always go to Robyn's Rib Rack - which is where I ate when I first came to MercTown - good food there."

She lays the map out on the table and points out each location as she notes them.
Ashlynn

M.D.C. by Location:
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:34 am

**rolls carried**

Yojimbo will oppose any suggestion which references a location that serves alcohol.

"We said no alcohol."

OOC Comments
Do you guys really want to see what happens when a 7 ton Holy Terror's insanity (i.e. hating alcohol consumption) is blown wide open in a MercTown establishment? ;)
Yojimbo
Current Status

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throw Bonuses
Yojimbo

Postby Ashlynn » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:43 am

(rolls carried over)

Yojimbo wrote:"We said no alcohol."

Ashlynn nods. "Oh." A look of dawning realization fills her eyes. "OH." This is... this is important to him. Not like a, 'I prefer no alcohol' thing, this is a... this is a dealbreaker.

She turns to Yojimbo.

"You're right. We did." Turning to Jack, she says "None of these places are going to work. New plan - Let's raid the fridge and have a picnic in the park." She grins. "I think there's fried chicken and soda and whatever. Or we can make a run to Robyn's and get ribs and fries and eat in the park."
Ashlynn

M.D.C. by Location:
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Jack McDermott » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:25 am

Jack McDermott wrote:Perception: Original post: 1d100:

JIC: Original post: 1d20:
and Original post: 1d100:

Yojimbo wrote:"We said no alcohol."

Jack senses a bit of anguish in Yojimbo's response, hmm, we did indeed. Is that some anger in there I detect? He has been a big teddy bear so far. There must be something we don't know, yet.

"Well indeed we did sir. And we shall stick to that deal as we would like to have you with us." He looks over right as Ashlynn replies.

Ashlynn wrote:"Oh." "OH."
"You're right. We did." Turning to Jack, she says "None of these places are going to work. New plan - Let's raid the fridge and have a picnic in the park." She grins. "I think there's fried chicken and soda and whatever. Or we can make a run to Robyn's and get ribs and fries and eat in the park."

"There are always answers. This is just a stumbling block. Are you sure all of these establishments serve alcohol? Can we call one and reserve it for just us? Have them close the bar while we are there?

Jack turns to Yojimbo, "So big fella, is it a consume alcohol thing you don't like or is it an alcohol around thing? Any history will help us to find a place that we can all enjoy as a team. That is the goal of this adventure after all."

Jack looks back to everyone, "Other than the park and fried chicken, any other suggestions folks?"

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Magic (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:

M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Yojimbo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:52 pm

Ashlynn wrote:She turns to Yojimbo.

Having no idea what some of those things are, Yojimbo is unsure how to respond. He knows what "chicken" is, because he's seen people eat raise, kill, and eat them during his time in Japan and even in the western areas of what used to be North America, but he has no idea what ribs and fries or soda are.

Perhaps they are a type of food people eat here? he thinks to himself.

He looks at Ashlynn with a feeling of gratitude; his "face" is effectively inscrutable, but he is grateful for his ward's support.

He simply nods and listens to Jack...

Jack McDermott wrote:[size=85]"Well indeed we did sir. And we shall stick to that deal as we would like to have you with us." He looks over right as Ashlynn replies.

I want to believe he is sincere, but it will take time to know he is not up to another of his pranks thinks the metallic behemoth.

Jack McDermott wrote:"There are always answers. This is just a stumbling block. Are you sure all of these establishments serve alcohol? Can we call one and reserve it for just us? Have them close the bar while we are there?

"If it is too much trouble, I can meet with you all a different time. I do not wish to be a burden," he says sincerely to the others.

Jack McDermott wrote:Jack turns to Yojimbo, "So big fella, is it a consume alcohol thing you don't like or is it an alcohol around thing? Any history will help us to find a place that we can all enjoy as a team. That is the goal of this adventure after all."

Yojimbo is reluctant to reveal anything about himself that could make him... vulnerable... to someone who has not gained his trust quite yet.

"I do not wish to be rude in saying this, so I ask you to carefully hear my words and understand this. When I have been around people drinking alcohol, bad things have invariably occurred... I... have lost..."

He pauses, searching for the words... fighting the torrent of negative emotions welling up from within.

"I have lost much. Too much... to this drink in which people indulge, and believe me when I say that I will NOT" - here he sharply says the word as he slams his clawed fists together with enough force to shatter the table (fortunately, it is his own body, which can withstand his immense power)- "... permit this to occur again."

Yojimbo is in turmoil inside, as it all comes back... his ronin mentor... the twins, Hanae and Hakaku... the shame their father endured when he sacrificed everything for his family due to the drunk lord's shameful behavior and yet still lost his wife, and how the tragedy of her death and his loss of station consumed him to the point where he got roaring drunk himself and cost the rest of the family their lives... Yojimbo's failure to stop it all... it all plays back in quick fashion inside the Holy Terror's head.

With significant internal effort, he controls himself and quietly says, "That is all I will say about it at this time."

Jack McDermott wrote:Jack looks back to everyone, "Other than the park and fried chicken, any other suggestions folks?"

Yojimbo has a flash of insight.

"There is a place I saw when I was here a year ago that may fit our needs. Have you heard of the Celestial Dragon? I have heard from others that it has good Chinese and other asian food. Perhaps that could be a starting point, if nothing else is suitable?"
Yojimbo
Current Status

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throw Bonuses
Yojimbo

Postby Weiss » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:20 pm

rolls carried

Ashlynn wrote:Conversation with Zac

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn nods. "Zac, I know how you feel. We're gonna find your mom - I promise. And I always keep my promises."

Zac nods and wipes away at a tear that starts making its way down his cheek. He does not say anymore, but impulsively grabs Ash and hugs her.

Ashlynn wrote:She looks to Weiss next, to see if 'dad' or Zac are coming. "Guys?"

"Not feeling hungry," Weiss looks over at his son, who is rubbing his stomach "but Zac's starving so we're in." Zac gives him a thumbs up before rushing off upstairs.

Yojimbo wrote:"There is a place I saw when I was here a year ago that may fit our needs. Have you heard of the Celestial Dragon? I have heard from others that it has good Chinese and other asian food. Perhaps that could be a starting point, if nothing else is suitable?

"Maybe we can swing by the Merc cafe, see if they have recollection of Yojimbo from last time. Pretty much everywhere that sells food in a restaurant will sell booze in Merctown. Does not mean they will let people drink to excess especially with the large number of weapons and abilities possessed in Merctown. However, we do not have to eat in. Order to go and go somewhere else. That way we stay away from alcohol." Weiss runs his left hand through his hair as he speaks, though when Yojimbo becomes agitated, his other hand drops to his side, just near his pistol holster. He does not draw it, but holds it there ready just in case.

Obviously a real hot button topic with Yojimbo. Best to steer clear of it as best as possible.

"Not eaten out in Merctown for a decade except if you count that rib place. Where does the map recommend?"

OOC Comments
http://explorersunlimited.com/eu/viewtopic.php?f=86&p=1366109#p1366109 rolls for finding parts to go with ones Ronith rolled
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Ashlynn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:20 am

(rolls carried over)

Weiss wrote:"Not feeling hungry, but Zac's starving so we're in."

Ashlynn cheers. "YAY! Oh, I'm so glad." She hops a little and grins in her excitement.

Jack wrote:Are you sure all of these establishments serve alcohol? Can we call one and reserve it for just us? Have them close the bar while we are there?

Ashlynn nods. "Yeah... I'd thought it was enough that WE don't drink... but that's not the case so we gotta look at other options. I dunno if we got the cred to reserve the whole place for just us, though... do we? And... we'd have to ask 'em to pack up and disappear all the booze. But we can explore that." She smiles at Yojimbo, a genuine, not-patronizing smile.

Yojimbo wrote:"If it is too much trouble, I can meet with you all a different time. I do not wish to be a burden."

"You are NOT a burden."
Yojimbo wrote:"I do not wish to be rude in saying this, so I ask you to carefully hear my words and understand this. When I have been around people drinking alcohol, bad things have invariably occurred... I... have lost... I have lost much. Too much... to this drink in which people indulge, and believe me when I say that I will NOT... permit this to occur again. That is all I will say about it at this time."

Ashlynn places her hand on the Holy Terror's massive arm, and then goes in for a hug - her arms barely fitting around his middle. She draws back. "Not on my watch, Yo. It won't happen on my watch." Then, solemnly, she adds, "I promise."

Yojimbo wrote:"There is a place I saw when I was here a year ago that may fit our needs. Have you heard of the Celestial Dragon? I have heard from others that it has good Chinese and other asian food. Perhaps that could be a starting point, if nothing else is suitable?"

Weiss wrote:Maybe we can swing by the Merc cafe, see if they have recollection of Yojimbo from last time. Pretty much everywhere that sells food in a restaurant will sell booze in Merctown. Does not mean they will let people drink to excess especially with the large number of weapons and abilities possessed in Merctown. However, we do not have to eat in. Order to go and go somewhere else. That way we stay away from alcohol. Not eaten out in Merctown for a decade except if you count that rib place. Where does the map recommend?"

Ashlynn nods. "Lemme call the Celestial Dragon before we go there - and we can swing by the Cafe too, that's a good idea." She turns to Yojimbo, "That might help you fill in some blanks?"

Turning to Jack, she adds, "I dunno if we can get a whole restaurant on such short notice. We'll back-burner the picnic idea for now, but if we can't find a place that's what we'll do." Turning to Zac, she smiles, "We'll bring a frisbee!"

Ashlynn will excuse herself and go to the phone. She'll look up the number for the Celestial Dragon, and dial them up. When they answer, she says, "Umm, hello. I was wondering - I have a really good friend who would love your restaurant, I think, but I gotta make sure of something first. He has a problem with alcohol - can't stand being around it. You don't serve any by any chance, do you?"

Charm: 50% 1d100:
(SUCCESS)
Ashlynn

M.D.C. by Location:
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Zoe Barenger » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:09 am

After a few rings,there is a pleasant female voice on the line. ”Celestial Dragon. How may i help, please?”

Ashlynn wrote: "Umm, hello. I was wondering - I have a really good friend who would love your restaurant, I think, but I gotta make sure of something first. He has a problem with alcohol - can't stand being around it. You don't serve any by any chance, do you?"

There is some chattering on the line as the voice speaks to someone in the room they are in. ”Hehe. We serve Saki and some other drinks. If you like we have private rooms, and in those, we serve as customers request. We can do an alcohol free menu for you if you like?”
Zoe Barenger
Assistant Game Master

Postby Ashlynn » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:16 am

1d100:

Zoe Barenger wrote:”Hehe. We serve Sake and some other drinks. If you like we have private rooms, and in those, we serve as customers request. We can do an alcohol free menu for you if you like?”

Ashlynn considers this for a moment. "I'm sorry... I don't think we can do that. Thank you."

She returns to the room with the others. "Celestial dragon is a no-go. Jack - do you want to pick up some food from somewhere and we can go to the park?"

She'll skip out of the room and go grab a couple folded-up blankets, before returning.

OOC Comments
Gonna fast-forward here, because posting about where to eat over the course of 2 weeks is starting to feel too much like real life

Picnic

Once Jack gets back with the food, Ashlynn leads the way to the closest park, and spreads out the blankets for folks to sit on, if they wish, and helps lay out the food he's brought for everyone.

A big grin on her face, she says "Soon as Jack gets back we can go." She helps serve out the food and sodas or tea or whatever to everyone, and plants herself next to Yojimbo.

She alternates between feeding herself, and tossing scraps for Huey to catch.
Ashlynn

M.D.C. by Location:
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Jack McDermott » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:37 am

and 1d100:

When Ashlynn comes in to let the group know that the Celestrial Dragon is a no go Jack sighs, Who would think it would be so hard to find food in a place with so much food. Picnic it is.

Ashlynn wrote:"Celestial dragon is a no-go. Jack - do you want to pick up some food from somewhere and we can go to the park?"

"Sounds like a plan. I'll run out and grab some grub. Maybe a pool party then. Setup some tables and chairs. Either way, let me know. I'll be right back. Jack heads out to Robyn's Rib Rack. He orders enough ribs and pulled pork for an army and heads back to the house.

Jack follows Ashlynn to the park and brings the food along, "So, this is nice. The outdoors. Gotta love it. Yeah." Alright, we are here. What the hell do we talk about? The weather? That will be just oh so invigorating.

Jack grabs a couple of ribs and starts to dig in. So yeah, the weather is just awesome. Don't you think? Awkwardly Jack continues to eat his meal washing it down with a tea here and there. Somebody has got to get the conversation moving.

"Who wants to start? Maybe a little background? Some where are you from, what do you like? I don't know. Hell maybe we just eat and enjoy the fresh air."

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Magic (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:

M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:47 pm

/37%
JIC: (100): 1d100:

Weiss wrote:"Maybe we can swing by the Merc cafe, see if they have recollection of Yojimbo from last time. Pretty much everywhere that sells food in a restaurant will sell booze in Merctown. Does not mean they will let people drink to excess especially with the large number of weapons and abilities possessed in Merctown. However, we do not have to eat in. Order to go and go somewhere else. That way we stay away from alcohol." Weiss runs his left hand through his hair as he speaks, though when Yojimbo becomes agitated, his other hand drops to his side, just near his pistol holster. He does not draw it, but holds it there ready just in case.

"Not eaten out in Merctown for a decade except if you count that rib place. Where does the map recommend?"

OOC Comments
http://explorersunlimited.com/eu/viewtopic.php?f=86&p=1366109#p1366109 rolls for finding parts to go with ones Ronith rolled

Ashlynn wrote:"Lemme call the Celestial Dragon before we go there - and we can swing by the Cafe too, that's a good idea." She turns to Yojimbo, "That might help you fill in some blanks?"

Yojimbo nods. Yes, the Merctown Cafe... where the strange woman was.

"Good idea. I have been meaning to revisit the Merctown Cafe, to try and piece together what happened to me."

I wonder what has changed since I was gone... he thinks.

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn places her hand on the Holy Terror's massive arm, and then goes in for a hug - her arms barely fitting around his middle. She draws back. "Not on my watch, Yo. It won't happen on my watch." Then, solemnly, she adds, "I promise."

"You have a kind heart, Ashlynn," he says to the girl.

Jack McDermott wrote:
When Ashlynn comes in to let the group know that the Celestrial Dragon is a no go Jack sighs.

"Sounds like a plan. I'll run out and grab some grub. Maybe a pool party then. Setup some tables and chairs. Either way, let me know. I'll be right back. Jack heads out to Robyn's Rib Rack. He orders enough ribs and pulled pork for an army and heads back to the house.

Jack follows Ashlynn to the park and brings the food along, "So, this is nice. The outdoors. Gotta love it. Yeah."

Jack grabs a couple of ribs and starts to dig in. Awkwardly Jack continues to eat his meal washing it down with a tea here and there.

"Who wants to start? Maybe a little background? Some where are you from, what do you like? I don't know. Hell maybe we just eat and enjoy the fresh air."

Yojimbo says to Jack, "I am a member of a race of beings known as 'Holy Terrors', and we are all but unknown here. My species came from another dimension - one which we have no way of returning to. About sixty or 70 years ago - it is hard to tell, it has been some time now - we were contacted by a sorcerer who opened a rift and requested our assistance. Immediately, we knew the minions of darkness plagued his land, and an army of my kind went through the portal to assist without hesitation. But, before the full force of Holy Terrors could arrive, the Unholy and his minions were able to close the rift and kill the sorcerer. Several thousand of us did make it through, however, and stayed on the hell that is Wormwood to battle the Unholy and his evil host for decades. Perhaps a third of us have been utterly destroyed; yet we persist. Evil does not stop, and neither do we stop battling it wherever it is found.

After this, my memory is hazy... I woke up one day on a beach, and discovered I was in what you would call Japan. Some locals took me in and I found a new home there. Unfortunately, my gracious host made a grave error in judgment, and paid the price. I ended up here, in this part of the world, after wandering the western areas of what used to be known as North America for a year before I found Merctown.

That is where I come from.

As for what I like, I have adopted many cultural pursuits from the land of Japan. They fulfill me and sustain my spirit. They include artwork and painting, calligraphy, the Japanese language - as you have heard already, carving and sculpting, and even poetry."

"And, this..."

The Holy Terror pulls out his carved flute and plays a tune for all to hear:

Skill Roll (play flute) --> 1d100:
/42%
Yojimbo
Current Status

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throw Bonuses
Yojimbo

Postby Jack McDermott » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:07 pm

When Yojimbo start talking Jack is a bit relieved, Ok, this is a good start. This guy seems pretty interesting. Jack listens as the large suit of armor tells his story.

Yojimbo wrote:Yojimbo says to Jack, "I am a member of a race of beings known as 'Holy Terrors', and we are all but unknown here. My species came from another dimension - one which we have no way of returning to. About sixty or 70 years ago - it is hard to tell, it has been some time now - we were contacted by a sorcerer who opened a rift and requested our assistance. Immediately, we knew the minions of darkness plagued his land, and an army of my kind went through the portal to assist without hesitation. But, before the full force of Holy Terrors could arrive, the Unholy and his minions were able to close the rift and kill the sorcerer. Several thousand of us did make it through, however, and stayed on the hell that is Wormwood to battle the Unholy and his evil host for decades. Perhaps a third of us have been utterly destroyed; yet we persist. Evil does not stop, and neither do we stop battling it wherever it is found.

After this, my memory is hazy... I woke up one day on a beach, and discovered I was in what you would call Japan. Some locals took me in and I found a new home there. Unfortunately, my gracious host made a grave error in judgment, and paid the price. I ended up here, in this part of the world, after wandering the western areas of what used to be known as North America for a year before I found Merctown.

That is where I come from.

As for what I like, I have adopted many cultural pursuits from the land of Japan. They fulfill me and sustain my spirit. They include artwork and painting, calligraphy, the Japanese language - as you have heard already, carving and sculpting, and even poetry."

In between his bites of delicious ribs certain things peak Jacks attention, Wait... did he just say the locals made a grave mistake by taking him in? What the? Jack puts his fork down and looks up at the massive being. Paid the price? Holy cryptic batman. Jack's eyes go big as Yojimbo starts playing the flute. Did this thing just tell us he wiped out Japan? No. Is he like a Godzilla or something?

"Um, pardon my interruption of your beautiful song Yojimbo." Jack says to the holly terror. Don't piss him off! We still don't know too much about him. "If I may ask. If it doesn't bother you too much. I mean to say, if you are ok with talking about it. What was the grave mistake those locals made? I mean. Well. It just seems. Well, they sound really nice and friendly is all. You know. We wouldn't want to make any grave mistakes here. You know what I mean?

Jack sits up and watches the terror. I hope this isn't what I think this is!

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Magic (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:

M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:59 pm

**rolls held**

Jack McDermott wrote:"Um, pardon my interruption of your beautiful song Yojimbo." Jack says to the holly terror. Don't piss him off! We still don't know too much about him. "If I may ask. If it doesn't bother you too much. I mean to say, if you are ok with talking about it. What was the grave mistake those locals made? I mean. Well. It just seems. Well, they sound really nice and friendly is all. You know. We wouldn't want to make any grave mistakes here. You know what I mean?

Jack sits up and watches the terror.

Yojimbo ignores Jack and continues to play until the song is complete.

He then stops and turns to address Jack: "My host offended someone in power. This person in power was a corrupt and twisted individual, and my host - who really took me in and made me part of his family - was in hiding for several years, far enough away from the corrupt lord that as long as he laid low, he probably could have lived out the rest of his days. It was an unexpectedly profound experience for me, coming from constant warfare and having an opportunity to learn peaceful arts - something I had rarely had the occasion to do before. I threw myself into study and absorbed as much of their culture as I could. But... "

The emotions were surfacing. Initially, nostalgic and positive - remembering the good times and how he had found purpose and contentment with his little family.

Yojimbo paused and crushed the swelling dark feelings inside before continuing: "But, it did not last. My host was carrying an immense burden, and... one that he could not sustain. It broke him, and he unwisely chose refuge in something that caused him to lose control and cause a scene with others in the area."

With some difficulty, the metallic behemoth continues his story: "You have to realize that we were in a very remote area with no others around for miles. I had not interacted with anyone but my fami- excuse me, my host and his family. When my host, in his bad judgment, called for his landlord, I was not present - I was at the beach, not very far away, but out of earshot, and upon my return, the landlord spotted me and ran - undoubtedly afraid. I knew our safety was at risk, and made plans to leave in the morning after everyone rested. The landlord must have... he must have contacted the Daimyo, because that very night, we were attacked, and..."

He stops and looks down, unwilling to continue.

"His error cost he and his family their lives."
Yojimbo
Current Status

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throw Bonuses
Yojimbo

Postby Jack McDermott » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:08 pm

Yojimbo wrote:He then stops and turns to address Jack: "My host offended someone in power. This person in power was a corrupt and twisted individual, and my host - who really took me in and made me part of his family - was in hiding for several years, far enough away from the corrupt lord that as long as he laid low, he probably could have lived out the rest of his days. It was an unexpectedly profound experience for me, coming from constant warfare and having an opportunity to learn peaceful arts - something I had rarely had the occasion to do before. I threw myself into study and absorbed as much of their culture as I could. But... "

The emotions were surfacing. Initially, nostalgic and positive - remembering the good times and how he had found purpose and contentment with his little family.

Yojimbo paused and crushed the swelling dark feelings inside before continuing: "But, it did not last. My host was carrying an immense burden, and... one that he could not sustain. It broke him, and he unwisely chose refuge in something that caused him to lose control and cause a scene with others in the area."

With some difficulty, the metallic behemoth continues his story: "You have to realize that we were in a very remote area with no others around for miles. I had not interacted with anyone but my fami- excuse me, my host and his family. When my host, in his bad judgment, called for his landlord, I was not present - I was at the beach, not very far away, but out of earshot, and upon my return, the landlord spotted me and ran - undoubtedly afraid. I knew our safety was at risk, and made plans to leave in the morning after everyone rested. The landlord must have... he must have contacted the Daimyo, because that very night, we were attacked, and..."

He stops and looks down, unwilling to continue.

"His error cost he and his family their lives."

Jack listens as the terror explains the story, at first sad at what had happened but wholly relieved that it was not Yojimbo who killed then. Jack leans back on one elbow, "Wow, that is good news! For a moment there I thought you were telling us in a calm serine manor that you killed them. Isn't that hilarious. Wow. I tell you, I feel a whole lot better now. Jack reaches down and grabs another rib.

A moment later it sinks in, "Hey man, not that it was a good thing they died. Like a great thing that your not some sociopath psycho killer. You know what I mean? That is like great news! Jack looks down and take a bite of his rib. wow, He had me worried there for a moment. Good thing I asked.

Jack looks around at the group, "See how cool this sharing is! Who is next?"

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Magic (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:

M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:09 am

**rolls held**

Jack McDermott wrote:Jack listens as the terror explains the story, at first sad at what had happened but wholly relieved that it was not Yojimbo who killed then. Jack leans back on one elbow, "Wow, that is good news! For a moment there I thought you were telling us in a calm serine manor that you killed them. Isn't that hilarious. Wow. I tell you, I feel a whole lot better now. Jack reaches down and grabs another rib.

A moment later it sinks in, "Hey man, not that it was a good thing they died. Like a great thing that your not some sociopath psycho killer. You know what I mean? That is like great news!

Without looking up, Yojimbo simply states, "His fundamental error... and that of the lord who initiated the entire cascade of suffering... was drunkenness."

The last word is said with a certain edge to it, conveying utter scorn.

He slowly looks up at Ashlynn and the rest of the group to gauge their reactions, and then turns to Jack.

"Now do you understand? I cannot abide the risk of... of..."

He pauses, looking at Ashlynn and the group.

Of losing those I care about again...

"Of being complicit in more of the suffering caused by this foul substance. It rots the mind and will, and degrades the morality of those who consume it. I cannot - no, I will not - stand by and watch people destroy their lives and, especially, destroy the lives of others. To me, it is no different than an assault on the defenseless."

He then falls silent - a rather uncomfortable silence, until Jack pipes up again:

Jack McDermott wrote:Jack looks around at the group, "See how cool this sharing is! Who is next?"

"How about yourself, Jack? Tell us about you," says the Holy Terror.
Yojimbo
Current Status

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throw Bonuses
Yojimbo

Postby Ashlynn » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:43 am

(rolls carried over)

Ashlynn eats and feeds Huey as Jack and Yojimbo talk. She absorbs Yojimbo's tale - being a Holy Terror, and his travails in this dimension, in Japan. As he plays the flute, she stops eating and listens, in rapt attention.

That's so beautiful... I never thought music could sound like that. It's always been just... hoedowns and ballads for me.

She smiles at Yojimbo as he plays.

Jack then asks Yojimbo to continue his story. Ashlynn is interested in hearing the rest of the tale, though sad the music is over.

Jack wrote:Wow, that is good news! For a moment there I thought you were telling us in a calm serene manner that you killed them. Isn't that hilarious. Wow. I tell you, I feel a whole lot better now. ...Hey man, not that it was a good thing they died. Like a great thing that your not some sociopath psycho killer. You know what I mean? That is like great news!"

Ashlynn's eyes boggle. Is that what I sound like? YIKES. Before she can chastise him, Yojimbo reveals the cause of his dislike of alcohol. Ashlynn's mouth falls open.

Yojimbo wrote:"Now do you understand? I cannot abide the risk of... of... Of being complicit in more of the suffering caused by this foul substance. It rots the mind and will, and degrades the morality of those who consume it. I cannot - no, I will not - stand by and watch people destroy their lives and, especially, destroy the lives of others. To me, it is no different than an assault on the defenseless."

Ashlynn nods in understanding. She sets down her food and scoots over next to Yojimbo, and rests her head on his upper arm (unable at her height to rest her head on his shoulder), and wraps her arms around him.

"I... I didn't need an explanation. I was willing to to take you at your word, but... yeah. I understand." Ashlynn makes a silent vow to herself, right then, not to drink alcohol.

Yojimbo wrote:"How about yourself, Jack? Tell us about you."

Ashlynn wipes away thoughts of suffering, and beams at Jack. "YEAH! Tell us who YOU are, mystery-man!" She returns to her sandwich, and to the rapidly-growing-annoyed bookwyrm, to whom she resumes tossing small hunks of meat.

To the Holy Terror, she says "By the way... your song was beautiful. It's like nothing I've heard before." Then she smiles and turns back to Jack. "YOUR TURN. Plays us a song, piano-man."
Ashlynn

M.D.C. by Location:
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Josie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:59 am

JIC D20: 1d20:

JIC D100: 1d100:

Perception 37%: 1d100:

Ronith wrote:"Think you could handle this? Once it's repaired, that is. It doesn't fly, but we can see about getting you something that does." Assuming Josie responds in the affirmative, Ronith nods. "Very well, we shall see how you do. I am happy to hire you; the terms of our employment are simple. All participants in a mission get an equal share of the spoils, after expenses, and all members of Heroes for Hire are expected to adhere to the general spirit, if not the letter of the cyber-knight code. In short, we protect the innocent and battle evil on all of our missions. If these terms are acceptable, I can introduce you to the rest of the team and we can see about getting you settled in."

"The terms and conditions are fine by me, besides my mother would be proud of me for doing some good for the people."

Josie gives Ronith a friendly smile. She will follow him when Ronith introduces her to Zoe and Barracuda. Being cheerful and upbeat during the walk about.

Barracuda wrote:"Hey! I'm Barracuda, aquatic superhero from another dimension! I'm uh... looks like I'm in charge now and we'll be working together! What's your deal? What kinda skills brought you to Heroes for Hire?"

He sure doesn't look like some damn D-Bee but he sure is peppy. Aquatic man, huh? Can't say I've had too much underwater dealings. It's just more of a challenge, than.

"Nice to meet your acquaintance. What have I brought? Other than my natural talents you mean? You can say that I brought a plethora of piloting skills. By that I mean I can pilot anything. Air, land or sea, from this world or others. I can also handle a wrench."

After the introductions are had, Josie heads back to find Zoe to see about getting a room or a place the rest of her gear. Once she has been shown, she will unpack and make a list of all the things she has. During her check she notices that she has no ammo for her pistol. Being irritated at the fact she hasn't noticed until, she decides to go and buy some. Taking her credits she heads off to do some shopping.

Naruni Enterprise Building
Josie

Postby Jack McDermott » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:25 am

Ashlynn wrote: "YEAH! Tell us who YOU are, mystery-man!" She returns to her sandwich, and to the rapidly-growing-annoyed bookwyrm, to whom she resumes tossing small hunks of meat.

Ashlynn and Yojimbo put Jack on the spot, he take another bite off a rib and puts it down. Chewing slowly he thinks, Not much to tell about me really. He finishing chewing and swallows hard. "I guess it could be my turn. Sure. Why not?" He reaches down for a quick drink and clears his throat.

"Well, I come from some other place. Or time. Maybe. To be honest I am not really sure how it all happened. I grew up in a place called New York. I think there is a New York here. I don't know if it is the same. That place we were, behind the door. It got me to thinking that maybe there are duplicate places. Maybe I didn't move in time. Maybe I moved to a new dimension. Maybe." Jack stops to take another drink, That's a lot of Maybes. Don't you know anything?

"What I do know is, my last moments home where on a boat. It was me and a couple friends down in the Caribbean. We were having a blast. The booze was following..." He pauses for a moment and turns to Yojimbo, "Sorry dude, It was a big part of my recreational life back then. I didn't. Well don't. Have the same issue as you. Not that I plan on disrespecting your wishes or anything." Taking another drink he turns back to the group.

"Lets just say it was a banger of a party and the festivities went well beyond booze. We were having a great time! Then, out of nowhere, Huge flashes of blue lightning. This crazy storm moved in, it turned dark all around us. The only light we had was the almost blinding blue flashes. Then nothing. Darkness. It didn't quite feel like I fell asleep or anything but I must have. When I came to I was laying in the middle of what was left of my boat. I was in the middle of some forest, my face was burnt. I had nothing. To be honest, I don't know how I have survived since then. It'd pretty much been day to day. Eat when you can and as much as you can because who knows when the next meal will show up. Find shelter, make deals. Take work when it comes."

Jack pauses again, How long before this dream is over and it's back to that? Don't get soft Jacky boy. All good things come to an end. He take another drink and continues. "I had a huge learning curve. I never meant any of the strange freaky magic psy types before arriving here. I didn't know if here is the same as my home only ruined by them. I don't know even now. I mean really, where did they come from? Why did they have to destroy my home? What did I do to deserve this?" Jack put his head down, "It is what it is. Life goes on. You survive until you don't"

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Magic (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:

M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:04 am

**rolls held**

Jack McDermott wrote:Ashlynn and Yojimbo put Jack on the spot, he take another bite off a rib and puts it down. Chewing slowly he thinks, Not much to tell about me really. He finishing chewing and swallows hard. "I guess it could be my turn. Sure. Why not?" He reaches down for a quick drink and clears his throat.

"Well, I come from some other place. Or time. Maybe. To be honest I am not really sure how it all happened. I grew up in a place called New York. I think there is a New York here. I don't know if it is the same. That place we were, behind the door. It got me to thinking that maybe there are duplicate places. Maybe I didn't move in time. Maybe I moved to a new dimension. Maybe." Jack stops to take another drink, That's a lot of Maybes. Don't you know anything?

"What I do know is, my last moments home where on a boat. It was me and a couple friends down in the Caribbean. We were having a blast. The booze was following..." He pauses for a moment and turns to Yojimbo, "Sorry dude, It was a big part of my recreational life back then. I didn't. Well don't. Have the same issue as you. Not that I plan on disrespecting your wishes or anything." Taking another drink he turns back to the group.

"Lets just say it was a banger of a party and the festivities went well beyond booze. We were having a great time! Then, out of nowhere, Huge flashes of blue lightning. This crazy storm moved in, it turned dark all around us. The only light we had was the almost blinding blue flashes. Then nothing. Darkness. It didn't quite feel like I fell asleep or anything but I must have. When I came to I was laying in the middle of what was left of my boat. I was in the middle of some forest, my face was burnt. I had nothing. To be honest, I don't know how I have survived since then. It'd pretty much been day to day. Eat when you can and as much as you can because who knows when the next meal will show up. Find shelter, make deals. Take work when it comes."

Jack pauses again, How long before this dream is over and it's back to that? Don't get soft Jacky boy. All good things come to an end. He take another drink and continues. "I had a huge learning curve. I never meant any of the strange freaky magic psy types before arriving here. I didn't know if here is the same as my home only ruined by them. I don't know even now. I mean really, where did they come from? Why did they have to destroy my home? What did I do to deserve this?" Jack put his head down, "It is what it is. Life goes on. You survive until you don't"

Yojimbo nods slowly.

I am not the only one scarred by loss here. Ruined by them? Destroyed? Who are 'they'?

"They?" asks the Holy Terror simply.

There must be more to this story... he thinks to himself.
Yojimbo
Current Status

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throw Bonuses
Yojimbo

Postby Ashlynn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:47 am

(rolls carried over)

Ashlynn listens in rapt attention to Jack's tale, this story of a new place called York, and boating nearby somewhere in a Caribbean, which must be some kind of boat. And then an unexpected encounter with a Rift that left him time-tossed and lost, and with scars to boot.

Yojimbo wrote:"They?"

Ash nods. "He means magic and psionic people." She turns to Jack. "I don't think they did all this, for what it's worth. Hagbard - he was a friend of mine, knew a lot of stuff, used ta say it was all men's doing, not the dbees, not magic, not no demons or nothing supernatural. 'The folly of man.' He wasn't real specific about what the folly was, but he was pretty clear we did it to ourselves. I'd bet we can figure it out though."

Still, part of Jack's tale sticks in Ashlynn's mind. You survive until you don't. It resonates in her mind, like a blasphemy. Is that really what we're doing? Just... surviving? ...Until we can't any more? God I hope not, that's... that's so bleak. I just can't with that. I can't get behind that way of thinking...

A resolute look crosses her face and she looks Jack squarely in the eyes. As she talks, her words come quicker, and Jack and Yojimbo can hear a catch in her voice. This is not high moralizing preacher, this is a young girl, and she earnestly feels that every word she's speaking is a moral certainty.

"It's not like that though. It's not 'survive until you don't', or whatever. We're here to make things better, an' if we're not making things better for folk then there's no reason to even be. Things HAVE to get better, they HAVE to, and if they won't on their own, then we gotta do it, because we can't just give up and wait for death. Death comes anyway - and it's cold and pointless and cruel. But life doesn't have to be like that. Life is the opposite, it's warm and kind, but we have to give it meaning. 'Cause if we don't then it's just waiting for death. I won't do that. I've seen enough cruel and stupid deaths for any lifetime. That's what the Heroes for Hire are HERE for, Jack - to give people the chance to give their lives meaning."

She stops, and collects her thoughts and her breath. She hops to her feet. "Okay, Huey! Catch!" She flings a piece of ribmeat in the air, and Huey takes off after it. She laughs and chases off in his direction.
Ashlynn

M.D.C. by Location:
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Weiss » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:15 pm

Perception 50% 1d100:

JIC 1d100:
1d20:

Weiss and Zac listen to the others talk, slowly chobbling down on the chinese, but both keeping their own council. Zac, despite his enthusiasm for the food, is uncharacteristically quiet as he hears what both Yojimbo and Jack have lost. Weiss pats him on the back as to comfort him. Both of them understood loss, Zac especially.

Another timelost person. He and Ben should talk. They might even be from the same time.

Jack McDermott wrote:"I had a huge learning curve. I never meant any of the strange freaky magic psy types before arriving here. I didn't know if here is the same as my home only ruined by them. I don't know even now. I mean really, where did they come from? Why did they have to destroy my home? What did I do to deserve this?

This comment however draws looks from both Weiss and Zac, neither of which were happy ones. Zac looks a mixture of upset and shock, whilst if Weiss' look could kill, Jack would be a smear on the ground. Weiss especially over the years with his foibles had heard people make similar comments. He was not one to simply stand by and let people make those sort of comments.

Was this man more somebody who would be suited to being with the Coalition? he fumes inside

Zac starts to open his mouth, but Ash speaks before either he or Weiss can weigh in.

Ashlynn wrote:"He means magic and psionic people." She turns to Jack. "I don't think they did all this, for what it's worth. Hagbard - he was a friend of mine, knew a lot of stuff, used ta say it was all men's doing, not the dbees, not magic, not no demons or nothing supernatural. 'The folly of man.' He wasn't real specific about what the folly was, but he was pretty clear we did it to ourselves. I'd bet we can figure it out though."

Ash may be full on at times, but she has a good heart.

Ashlynn wrote:"It's not like that though. It's not 'survive until you don't', or whatever. We're here to make things better, an' if we're not making things better for folk then there's no reason to even be. Things HAVE to get better, they HAVE to, and if they won't on their own, then we gotta do it, because we can't just give up and wait for death. Death comes anyway - and it's cold and pointless and cruel. But life doesn't have to be like that. Life is the opposite, it's warm and kind, but we have to give it meaning. 'Cause if we don't then it's just waiting for death. I won't do that. I've seen enough cruel and stupid deaths for any lifetime. That's what the Heroes for Hire are HERE for, Jack - to give people the chance to give their lives meaning."

She stops, and collects her thoughts and her breath. She hops to her feet. "Okay, Huey! Catch!" She flings a piece of ribmeat in the air, and Huey takes off after it. She laughs and chases off in his direction

Zac does not wait as he grabs some more of the food and rushes to his feet, running after Ash and Huey, leaving Weiss alone with the two newest recruits. Weiss pops a last bit of food in his mouth before putting down his half eaten meal carefully. He stands up, clearly having no intent to eat anymore.

"Ash has a good heart," he speaks, as he looks in the distance at both Ash and Zac chasing after the chubby dragon, "always sees the best in people. Sadly, seen too much to be quite that open hearted, which is why I say this when she is not close by." He sighs deeply before turning to face the others.

"Yojimbo, moderation is a wonderful thing," he tells the giant, "I understand your issue with alcohol. I've seen men drink themselves stupid and to death. Others can use it in moderation. Like many things, it can be evil if you let it or use it to excess. Like many things, how it used depends on the person. You are going to have to interact with it at some point. Hate it fine, but if you start acting the way you did earlier if you encounter it, then that will cause a lot of problems. You, like many people, will have to learn some self control around it."

"People are people Jack," Weiss' voice turns a little bit colder as he addresses the scout, clearly considering every word before he speaks, lest he feel the need to start shouting, "most did not choose to be here and I doubt many of them can remember their original homeworlds, if they were not born here. This is now their home as different as it may be from the one you remember. They have as much right to be here as you, as much somebody of Earth as you and I, trying to build lives in a world where they can be judged for the colour of their skin. Just because somebody looks different, does not make them a monster despite what the CS say. I suggest you find and read the collected works of Erin Tarn, learn something about the world you now reside. Maybe it will open your eyes. Maybe not!"

Weiss straightens his fatigues and looks over at Yojimbo

"Shall we go check out the Merc Cafe? See if we can find anybody who might remember you or your mysterious girl? Just promise not to destroy the place if somebody has some alcohol please?"

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Jack McDermott » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:31 pm

Ashlynn wrote:Still, part of Jack's tale sticks in Ashlynn's mind. You survive until you don't. It resonates in her mind, like a blasphemy. Is that really what we're doing? Just... surviving? ...Until we can't any more? God I hope not, that's... that's so bleak. I just can't with that. I can't get behind that way of thinking...

"It's not like that though. It's not 'survive until you don't', or whatever. We're here to make things better, an' if we're not making things better for folk then there's no reason to even be. Things HAVE to get better, they HAVE to, and if they won't on their own, then we gotta do it, because we can't just give up and wait for death. Death comes anyway - and it's cold and pointless and cruel. But life doesn't have to be like that. Life is the opposite, it's warm and kind, but we have to give it meaning. 'Cause if we don't then it's just waiting for death. I won't do that. I've seen enough cruel and stupid deaths for any lifetime. That's what the Heroes for Hire are HERE for, Jack - to give people the chance to give their lives meaning."

She stops, and collects her thoughts and her breath. She hops to her feet. "Okay, Huey! Catch!" She flings a piece of ribmeat in the air, and Huey takes off after it. She laughs and chases off in his direction.

Jack listens to Ashlyn, Now this one has a good heart. A little naïve, but a good heart. I really hope she never experiences anything horrible enough to change that. That would be the biggest tragedy of the world ever. When she finishes he looks over at her, "Maybe. Maybe I can believe, that is what you believe. Maybe I can get behind that wonderful outlook on life. Its hard. Its all hard. Survival takes a lot out of you. Not just physically. Your soul grows thin. Every time you trust and the trust is ripped from you. Every time you think it will be different. And it isn't. It's hard to have hope. That's what your talking about. Hope. It's a powerful thing. Look at our friend here the gentle giant. He lost hope. He fully believes anyone who drinks will have bad things happen. he didn't start like that. That was burnt into his soul."

Jack reaches for his drink, Don't know if I have any hope left. I sure wish I did. These people seem so. Good. I just don't know" When Weiss looks over at him he can feel the anger. He listens to the man as he speaks.

Weiss wrote:"People are people Jack," Weiss' voice turns a little bit colder as he addresses the scout, clearly considering every word before he speaks, lest he feel the need to start shouting, "most did not choose to be here and I doubt many of them can remember their original home worlds, if they were not born here. This is now their home as different as it may be from the one you remember. They have as much right to be here as you, as much somebody of Earth as you and I, trying to build lives in a world where they can be judged for the colour of their skin. Just because somebody looks different, does not make them a monster despite what the CS say. I suggest you find and read the collected works of Erin Tarn, learn something about the world you now reside. Maybe it will open your eyes. Maybe not!"

"Shall we go check out the Merc Cafe? See if we can find anybody who might remember you or your mysterious girl? Just promise not to destroy the place if somebody has some alcohol please?"

When Weiss finishes jack looks up directly at him, "You mistake my intent. The CS can choke on a chicken bone for all I care. The're no better." he looks around at the whole group, "I think you all misunderstand, it's all of them. Everyone I have encountered. Until. Well Until here. With you folks. But I don't know if I trust that yet. I have been lied to by em all. They all only care about themselves. Rob a person's last meal and wouldn't look twice afterwards. I don't care if they are green, blue, red or grey. I don't care if they look human or don't. They all ruined this world. It was mine before it was theirs and they ruined it." Jack lowers his head.

"Now I'm sitting here wondering if I even have the strength to trust again. Do I have enough soul left. Enough hope. To believe. I bet some of you know what I am talking about. To have your whole life torn from you. Hell your whole world. To reach out for help and get bit every time. That's what I am talking about. That's who THEY are." Jack lift his drink again and take a deep gulp.

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Magic (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:

M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Yojimbo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:49 am

**rolls held**

Ashlynn wrote:"He means magic and psionic people." She turns to Jack. "I don't think they did all this, for what it's worth. Hagbard - he was a friend of mine, knew a lot of stuff, used ta say it was all men's doing, not the dbees, not magic, not no demons or nothing supernatural. 'The folly of man.' He wasn't real specific about what the folly was, but he was pretty clear we did it to ourselves. I'd bet we can figure it out though."

"Perhaps it is a difficulty in language or cultural understanding, but I am not seeing how you arrived at 'strange freaky magic psy types destroyed my home' from the story you told. If you have not been back to your homeworld since the 'accident' that deposited you here, how do you know it was destroyed, or by whom?" the Holy Terror asks Jack pointedly.

Something is not making sense here...

Weiss wrote:"Yojimbo, moderation is a wonderful thing," he tells the giant, "I understand your issue with alcohol. I've seen men drink themselves stupid and to death. Others can use it in moderation. Like many things, it can be evil if you let it or use it to excess. Like many things, how it used depends on the person. You are going to have to interact with it at some point. Hate it fine, but if you start acting the way you did earlier if you encounter it, then that will cause a lot of problems. You, like many people, will have to learn some self control around it."

Yojimbo ponders Weiss' words. "It is true that, perhaps, some people can use it in moderation. But, moderation too often turns to excess, and at a high cost. An unbearable one, for many. Why risk it? For the purpose of deluding oneself into thinking life is not as difficult as it really is? I have been around alcohol before, including at the Cafe, and problems did not ensue. That does not mean I wish to see my friends or companions sink into the trap of this poison - and it is poison. If I encounter problems, so be it. I will do so with a clear conscience."

Pausing a moment to reflect, Yojimbo then continues: "This does not mean I will seek them out. I do not enter into bars for the purpose of destroying all the alcohol or people who consume it. But it puts me ill at ease, and as this was intended to be a 'team building' event, it would not be conducive to a productive environment for me to be around others in the group consuming this substance which has been the enabler, if not the direct cause, of so much needless suffering."

He will accept that, or he will not, but that is my answer.

Jack McDermott wrote:When Weiss finishes jack looks up directly at him, "You mistake my intent. The CS can choke on a chicken bone for all I care. The're no better." he looks around at the whole group, "I think you all misunderstand, it's all of them. Everyone I have encountered. Until. Well Until here. With you folks. But I don't know if I trust that yet. I have been lied to by em all. They all only care about themselves. Rob a person's last meal and wouldn't look twice afterwards. I don't care if they are green, blue, red or grey. I don't care if they look human or don't. They all ruined this world. It was mine before it was theirs and they ruined it." Jack lowers his head.

"Now I'm sitting here wondering if I even have the strength to trust again. Do I have enough soul left. Enough hope. To believe. I bet some of you know what I am talking about. To have your whole life torn from you. Hell your whole world. To reach out for help and get bit every time. That's what I am talking about. That's who THEY are." Jack lift his drink again and take a deep gulp.

"What would be the alternative, Jack? Self-destructive behavior? Railing against the unfairness of existence? The world is a harsh place and suffering touches us all. You, as well as many others, have learned this through difficult experiences. There are those who take what appears to be the easier path, the path of evil and causing unnecessary suffering and all the terrible things that come along with it, and live it out by spreading misery and despair. But, importantly, there are those who choose what appears to be a more difficult path - that of redemption, of alleviating unnecessary suffering, of bearing the burden of existence worthily, and pressing onward toward creating a better world in which to live. I would like to think that Heroes for Hire is comprised of the kinds of people who choose the second path, and I strive for those ideals in my own existential struggle. It is to you..."- here, Yojimbo points directly at Jack - "... to decide which of these paths to walk in life, Jack. One of these paths will make the world a better place in which to live for all, and one will make it worse, or 'better for some at the expense of others'. We cannot change what has already happened, but we can choose how to respond. The question you have to ask yourself - continually - is, what is the best way to respond to this?"

Weiss wrote:"Shall we go check out the Merc Cafe? See if we can find anybody who might remember you or your mysterious girl? Just promise not to destroy the place if somebody has some alcohol please?"

"I did not destroy it the last time I was there, and I do not plan on destroying it now," he replies to Weiss before following up with, "Perhaps when the team building event is over, we can check out the cafe. I understand that several other Heroes have stories to share when Jack is finished with his."

With that, he looks over in the direction Ashlynn chased Huey to see if they are returning.
Yojimbo
Current Status

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throw Bonuses
Yojimbo

Postby Ashlynn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 am

(Rolls carried over)

Jack wrote:"Maybe. Maybe I can believe, that is what you believe. Maybe I can get behind that wonderful outlook on life. Its hard. Its all hard. Survival takes a lot out of you. Not just physically. Your soul grows thin. Every time you trust and the trust is ripped from you. Every time you think it will be different. And it isn't. It's hard to have hope. That's what your talking about. Hope. It's a powerful thing. Look at our friend here the gentle giant. He lost hope. He fully believes anyone who drinks will have bad things happen. he didn't start like that. That was burnt into his soul."

Ash smiles as she stands up to go play. "T'avi used to say nothing worth doing is easy." She stands and begins to run off, but stops and adds, "Ishmael used to say that a living being needs at least three things to thrive: sustenance, shelter, and hope." Then she runs off, tossing chunks of meat to the bookwyrm who is bonded to her.

Ash and Zac chase around, Huey waddling after, tossing various hunks of meat for him to catch, and laughing. Despite the distance she had put between herself and the topic, both figurative and metaporical distance, her newly-acute hearing kept her abreast of the subsequent fallout. As they play, she hears the totality of their exchange.

Weiss wrote:"Ash has a good heart, always sees the best in people.

Awwww... I like you too, Weiss.

Weiss wrote:"I understand your issue with alcohol. ...You, like many people, will have to learn some self control around it."

That's what he's doing though. He didn't go into a rage... he told us how he felt. That's what self control looks like, at first. Ya gotta go easy on him.

Yojimbo wrote:"This does not mean I will seek them out. I do not enter into bars for the purpose of destroying all the alcohol or people who consume it. But it puts me ill at ease, and as this was intended to be a 'team building' event, it would not be conducive to a productive environment for me to be around others in the group consuming this substance which has been the enabler, if not the direct cause, of so much needless suffering."

See? He doesn't want to feel like this... but this is a thing that... that takes time. And we gotta support him however we can.

Weiss wrote:"People are people Jack, ...Just because somebody looks different, does not make them a monster despite what the CS say. I suggest you find and read the collected works of Erin Tarn, learn something about the world you now reside. Maybe it will open your eyes. Maybe not!"

That's true. People are people. And just 'cause there's a whole buncha new people here don't mean they're responsible for what you lost. I... hope that's a thing you can learn, Jack, in time. Listen to dad.

Jack wrote:"You mistake my intent. The CS can choke on a chicken bone for all I care. They're no better. I think you all misunderstand, it's all of them. ... I bet some of you know what I am talking about. To have your whole life torn from you. Hell your whole world. To reach out for help and get bit every time. That's what I am talking about. That's who THEY are."

Yojimbo wrote:What would be the alternative, Jack? Self-destructive behavior? Railing against the unfairness of existence? The world is a harsh place and suffering touches us all. You, as well as many others, have learned this through difficult experiences. ...It is to you... to decide which of these paths to walk in life, Jack. One of these paths will make the world a better place in which to live for all, and one will make it worse, or 'better for some at the expense of others'. We cannot change what has already happened, but we can choose how to respond. The question you have to ask yourself - continually - is, what is the best way to respond to this?"

They all have so much pain... Yojimbo, Weiss, and Jack... and I'm sure everyone else. This ain't an easy world to live in, that's for sure, and it can make you bitter if you let it. That's why you CAN'T. You gotta stay positive! If you let the madness and cruelty of the world drag you down then... then... things only get worse for everyone and nothing ever gets better for anyone and people lose their families an' the ones they lvoe and no one ever gets to be happy again an' that's no kinda living that's just walking death, just, just endless suffering and I CAN'T I just CAN'T I won't LET it be like that!

She resumes tossing the rib remnants to her tiring bookwyrm, and he looks at her plaintively, feeling her mounting frustration. She masks her inner turmoil, as ever, with laughter, though, and she shares the meat out with Zac to toss to Huey. Eventually, she runs out of rib meat, and she run/stumbles back over to the picnic area, an exhausted bookwyrm in her wake.

She stumbles around the blanket, taps Jack playfully on the shoulder, kisses Weiss on the head, and collapses near-slash-on Yojimbo.

She sighs deeply.

"I dunno if it's my turn or what. I kinda feel like I told you all my bit... I can't ever remember who I've said all that too - 'cause I try to forget and move on as much as I can. I don't like to hold onto pain." She smiles at Jack as she nuzzles into Yojimbo's side - as much as one can nuzzle a hulking suit of armor - and adds, "I dunno what my world was like. My mom found me in a field o' rubble. What I love about this world, though, is you can make family wherever you find it. I mean, look! I just got to Merctown a little bit ago and I got this whole big family now." She looks pointedly at Jack, to let him know he is included in that family. "An' people don't have to look alike or be alike at all to be considered family. They just decide an' that's it." She leans back and grabs an apple, biting into it with gusto. "An' that's what we are. The Heroes for Hire? We're a big family."

As the group wraps up the picnic and talk turns to going to the Merctown cafe, Ashlynn sticks close to Yojimbo. I know he has a problem with alcohol... if he starts ta get jittery at least I can try an' spot it an' maybe take him outside for a bit to chill...
Ashlynn

M.D.C. by Location:
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Jack McDermott » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:44 am

Yojimbo wrote:"Perhaps it is a difficulty in language or cultural understanding, but I am not seeing how you arrived at 'strange freaky magic psy types destroyed my home' from the story you told. If you have not been back to your home world since the 'accident' that deposited you here, how do you know it was destroyed, or by whom?" the Holy Terror asks Jack pointedly.

Jack looks over at Yojimbo, "Well, understanding take experience. Something brought me here and it certainly wasn't natural to my time. Time? Space? Dimension? Who the hells knows. I'm no Stephen Hawkings. Hell, I don't know what the hell it was that brought me here. As for assigning blame. Everything has tried to use me, eat me or make a slave of me since I got here. This place, maybe it isn't my home world. Up until a couple days ago I could have sworn it was. Seeing that place behind the door. That makes me think. If this is home!? It is devastated. My home was amazing. We had so much to offer. Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but there were no crazy alien things trying to enslave you or eat you. Dogs wore leashes and didn't talk or try to screw with your mind. Dr. Strange was the closest thing to a magician I knew of and that was a work of fiction. Then BAM! I'm here. I'm fighting for my life! I'm surviving! Who the heck am I supposed to think did it? Could I be wrong? Me? Come on now."

Jack sighs, Being born into this. Are they born? Hell, who knows. He doesn't get it. He hasn't seen through my eyes.

Yojimbo wrote:"What would be the alternative, Jack? Self-destructive behavior? Railing against the unfairness of existence? The world is a harsh place and suffering touches us all. You, as well as many others, have learned this through difficult experiences. There are those who take what appears to be the easier path, the path of evil and causing unnecessary suffering and all the terrible things that come along with it, and live it out by spreading misery and despair. But, importantly, there are those who choose what appears to be a more difficult path - that of redemption, of alleviating unnecessary suffering, of bearing the burden of existence worthily, and pressing onward toward creating a better world in which to live. I would like to think that Heroes for Hire is comprised of the kinds of people who choose the second path, and I strive for those ideals in my own existential struggle. It is to you..."- here, Yojimbo points directly at Jack - "... to decide which of these paths to walk in life, Jack. One of these paths will make the world a better place in which to live for all, and one will make it worse, or 'better for some at the expense of others'. We cannot change what has already happened, but we can choose how to respond. The question you have to ask yourself - continually - is, what is the best way to respond to this?"

Jack tilts his head sideways at this comment, "Don't take this the wrong way. But. Well, you ask what the alternatives are to the suffering. What is you response to your suffering. How do you deal with your anger, your experience. You are scared of what you will do if you come into contact with people drinking. Isn't that destruction the path of evil? So you avoid it, you stay away. You don't try to help the people drinking. You ignore them. How is that different from what I have done? I have kept hidden. Stayed as far from it as I can. Sure, it leaves me a bit cynical. But it has kept me safe. Do I want to help the world. Sure. I can't do it myself." Jack sighs deeply. He looks around, then back at Yojimbo, "That is no different than how you handle your pain. I'm not a bad guy for not wanting to confront it. Neither are you. Dealing with the world isn't easy. Being angry at what you don't understand is natural. Maybe that makes me even more angry. Knowing I am angry because I don't understand and not being able to fix it myself. You get angry, you don't fully understand. Not everybody who has a drink is a drinker. Not everyone who has a drink is being self destructive. I lump all the craziness in my life and I place the blame. You lump all the craziness and you place the blame. Maybe we are both right. Maybe we are both wrong. Does it matter? I don't know." Jack stops talking, his head falls limp as if he has poured his soul out to the group. So much. Inside, for so long. Is it fair? Am I wrong? When Ashlyn starts talking he looks up at her with a glint of something in his eye. A tiny spark in the darkness.

Ashlynn wrote:"I dunno if it's my turn or what. I kinda feel like I told you all my bit... I can't ever remember who I've said all that too - 'cause I try to forget and move on as much as I can. I don't like to hold onto pain." She smiles at Jack as she nuzzles into Yojimbo's side - as much as one can nuzzle a hulking suit of armor - and adds, "I dunno what my world was like. My mom found me in a field o' rubble. What I love about this world, though, is you can make family wherever you find it. I mean, look! I just got to Merctown a little bit ago and I got this whole big family now." She looks pointedly at Jack, to let him know he is included in that family. "An' people don't have to look alike or be alike at all to be considered family. They just decide an' that's it." She leans back and grabs an apple, biting into it with gusto. "An' that's what we are. The Heroes for Hire? We're a big family."

As Ashlynn talks Jack can feel a warmth inside, It is amazing how she can put me at ease like that. I really hope this isn't a dream. It would break me to try again. And fail. "I'm down to find out what happened to the big guy. He deserves to know! Then maybe we find out for Ashlynn too, and Weiss. We all deserve to know!"

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Magic (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:

M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:39 am

**rolls held**

Jack McDermott wrote:Jack tilts his head sideways at this comment, "Don't take this the wrong way. But. Well, you ask what the alternatives are to the suffering. What is you response to your suffering. How do you deal with your anger, your experience. You are scared of what you will do if you come into contact with people drinking. Isn't that destruction the path of evil? So you avoid it, you stay away. You don't try to help the people drinking. You ignore them. How is that different from what I have done? I have kept hidden. Stayed as far from it as I can. Sure, it leaves me a bit cynical. But it has kept me safe. Do I want to help the world. Sure. I can't do it myself." Jack sighs deeply. He looks around, then back at Yojimbo, "That is no different than how you handle your pain. I'm not a bad guy for not wanting to confront it. Neither are you. Dealing with the world isn't easy. Being angry at what you don't understand is natural. Maybe that makes me even more angry. Knowing I am angry because I don't understand and not being able to fix it myself. You get angry, you don't fully understand. Not everybody who has a drink is a drinker. Not everyone who has a drink is being self destructive. I lump all the craziness in my life and I place the blame. You lump all the craziness and you place the blame. Maybe we are both right. Maybe we are both wrong. Does it matter? I don't know." Jack stops talking, his head falls limp as if he has poured his soul out to the group.

Everyone who has alcohol is self-destructive, Jack thinks the Holy Terror to himself.

"As you said, dealing with the world is not easy. You told us, 'Now I'm sitting here wondering if I even have the strength to trust again. Do I have enough soul left. Enough hope. To believe.' That is what I was responding to in terms of your alternatives. You can either go through life miserable and distrusting all you meet, being suspicious of their motives, never knowing who you can trust or rely on. There is a certain level of safety in that. But, not much fulfillment. Not much purpose, just surviving. People who only do enough to survive and feel safe do not last long when trouble comes, and trouble does not always come in physical form."

The Holy Terror stands.

"I make no claims that my hatred of alcohol consumption is rational. But, I do confront it, and I confront it head-on. I'm not saying you are a 'bad guy' for not confronting your problems. But you are failing in your duty, in my estimation. Only you can decide if that is important enough to you to make the most of your situation. Only you can decide if purpose is something you seek to attain. To me, the alternative - despair, nihilism, and hopelessness - those are the real hells."

He then joins Weiss, Ashlynn, and the others destined for the Merctown Cafe.
Yojimbo
Current Status

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throw Bonuses
Yojimbo

Postby Zoe Barenger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Everyone spends the afternoon together, telling stories and generally getting to know each other. Once the stories are told and food has been eaten, the group decides to head off towards The Merctown Cafe. Feelings of contentment and respect are strong amongst them now, hopefully this will blossom into something more.

As they wander the streets, slowly heading to their destination, Huey snaps his head up and takes off from Ashlynn’s arms. He flies as fast as he can, trying not to crash into people or stalls as he moves. Ashlynn feels wonder as he goes.

When whomever follows, catches up, about 10 minutes and many corners later, they see Huey cornering a youth with blue skin and dark hair. There is something familiar about this youth. He is around 12 in human years,wearing clothes that been mended many,many times. Clutched in his hand is a picture. The picture is of this boy and a group of people who look like him. They are standing in a very tranquil, almost sylvan woodlands. All appear happy.

((ZOE - please describe your part of the chase in your post))
Zoe Barenger
Assistant Game Master

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:44 am

/37%
JIC (100): 1d100:

Zoe Barenger wrote:As they wander the streets, slowly heading to their destination, Huey snaps his head up and takes off from Ashlynn’s arms. He flies as fast as he can, trying not to crash into people or stalls as he moves. Ashlynn feels wonder as he goes.

"Huey!" barks the Holy Terror to the bookwyrm as it whizzes past him in a hurry.

What's gotten into him? thinks Yojimbo, as he starts after Ashlynn's familiar.

Yojimbo might be able to catch up with Huey out in the open, but inside MercTown, he is more cognizant of his bulk and weight. Quite aware that a seven ton metallic monstrosity running at full bore through the town might not be the best course of action, he makes his way through the crowds and winding roads at a pace that ensures he can follow, but isn't plowing through every obstacle - living or otherwise - on the way.

Zoe Barenger wrote:When whomever follows, catches up, about 10 minutes and many corners later, they see Huey cornering a youth with blue skin and dark hair. There is something familiar about this youth. He is around 12 in human years,wearing clothes that been mended many,many times. Clutched in his hand is a picture. The picture is of this boy and a group of people who look like him. They are standing in a very tranquil, almost sylvan woodlands. All appear happy.

Yojimbo comes to a stop to see Huey and the youth.

Lore: Demons & Monsters (I.D. the boy, if appropriate) --> 1d100:
/ 42%

He is unsure of the significance of this youth, or why Huey would be so dead-set on chasing the boy down...

"Huey... what were you doing?" asks Yojimbo to the bookwyrm, careful not to make any sudden or large moves so as not to startle anyone.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yojimbo
Current Status

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throw Bonuses
Yojimbo

Postby Jack McDermott » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:27 am

and 1d100:

Jack hangs to the back of the pack as the walk toward the Merctown café. He watches the people walk by them as they go. Maybe they are right. What is the purpose of just living? What does it mean to just be alive. I mean to hell with all the philosophical shit. What is my purpose and all? Hell, does anyone have a purpose. Who cares! But they did get to the meat and potatoes of it. What's the point of just doing the basic requirements to stay alive. I should be enjoying life. Otherwise. What is the point? Right?

As Jack questions the point of life he looks up to see Huey dash down the street without Ashlynn, What the hell? he wonders. He calls out to Ashlynn, "Did you toss a piece of chicken for him? Where the heck is he going?" Jack sees Yojimbo follow after the diminutive dragon carefully down the street. "Yo big guy, where you going now?" Jack looks around to the rest of the groups, "So we chasing this thing now? Is this his revenge for Ashlynn making him fly for his food? Now he is making us run?" Jack looks down the street and sees Yojimbo turn a corner, Ah screw it, better follow them too. Don't want the big guy to wander into a wine tasting festival and go Godzilla on them.

Jack takes off after them, keeping a decent trot pace. Trying to catch up, or at least catch them before they make their next turn. He follows the group for a good 10 min until he finds them stopped and looking at a blue kid. Out of breath he says, "Whaa, whaa, what the hell guys? Who caught the goober? Why the hell did he fly off? And why are you guys looking at the blue kid?" Jack leans over with his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath. I hope this isn't an after diner team regular event.

Jack looks around to make sure everyone is either there or caught up, "Ash, what's up with Huey? Did he tell you anything? Not like him to go for an impromptu evening fly."

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Magic (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:

M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Ashlynn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:01 am

1d100:

Ashlynn is surprised at the sudden burst of energy from Huey - but the feeling of wonder he transmits to her lets her no there's no immediate danger.

Yojimbo wrote:"Huey!"

Ashlynn cocks her head inquisitively as she looks at Yojimbo, and shrugs, before bounce-rravelling after Huey.

"I don't think there's trouble! He seems curious!"

She bounce/runs, using her innate ability to bounce over the heads of any otherwise impassable clusters of people to keep pace with Huey.

As she rounds the corner and sees him cornering a little blue child, she says "Whoa there, Huey... don't scare him..." She approaches the bedraggled child, and kneels down.

"Hi... My name is Ashlynn. What's your name?" She tilts her head as she examines him. Do I know him? He seems familiar...

Eyeball a Fella 74% 1d100:

"Do... do I know you?"

Jack wrote:"Whaa, whaa, what the hell guys? Who caught the goober? Why the hell did he fly off? And why are you guys looking at the blue kid? Ash, what's up with Huey? Did he tell you anything? Not like him to go for an impromptu evening fly."

Ash shakes her head. "I dunno... He seemed... curious. But there's something more going on."
Ashlynn

M.D.C. by Location:
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Weiss » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Perception: 50% 1d100:

JIC 1d100:
1d20:

Zac happily helps throw food to Huey, but he keeps glancing back at his father and the others.

Weiss knew his son had been hurt by the comments of they so he was not overly in the mood for being gentle, not that Jack showed any sign of any empathy either. Jack and Yojimbo threw words back and forth whilst Ash tried to make peacemaker.

"Then might I suggest that both of start figuring your shit out. I can stand here and lecture you and argue with you, but I ain't no councillor, so I say figure out ways to deal with your issues or at least better coping mechanisms as this job is hard enough," he tells them both, as quite frankly "If your heads aren't on straight, that gets people killed. maybe yourselves, maybe other people. Neither of you were in the fight with the Sunaj. We were together up here," Weiss taps his temple, "and we still almost lost Ash. You let it get in the way of doing your job and more of us are going to get hurt. This job is difficult enough without worrying that the guy next to you is not doing their job." Weiss sighs and takes a deep breath to calm himself down some.

"I get that both have some shit to deal with and this life wasn't exactly what you expected. Jack, speak to Ben. He's been through similar; if anybody can help you understand, its him. Yojimbo, people are going to drink. You won't, that is absolutely fine. Others will. At least it sounds like you are facing it."

Weiss and Zac keep a good distance from Jack as they walk towards the Merctown Cafe, Weiss with his arm around his son's shoulders. Honestly, Weiss was not convinced Jack was not a human supremacist and the fact that he really did not get what he said was going to upset people who had done him no harm. Maybe it was more the latter considering his comments on the CS. Still, you upset his son, Weiss doesn't take prisoners if it was unwarranted.

Team bonding my ass he thought, Got my own frakking shit to deal with but not going to dump it on everyone else to deal with. Ash only knows some of it.

As Huey rushes off, Weiss sighs and looks down at Zac, who shrugs.

"Maybe he takes after Ash," Zac suggests. Weiss puts his finger to his lips and smiles; "Ash can hear you!"

Weiss leads Zac through the crowds, making sure his son is never more than a few feet from him. He keeps a steady pace, but one he knows Zac can maintain and if the others get too far ahead, he radios them for a position. Zac spots the odd item that distracts his attention as they walk, but Weiss makes a note on the map, so that they can return later He and Zac are the last to arrive

"You got Huey to stop?" Weiss asks as they arrive

Zoe Barenger wrote:When whomever follows, catches up, about 10 minutes and many corners later, they see Huey cornering a youth with blue skin and dark hair. There is something familiar about this youth. He is around 12 in human years,wearing clothes that been mended many,many times. Clutched in his hand is a picture. The picture is of this boy and a group of people who look like him. They are standing in a very tranquil, almost sylvan woodlands. All appear happy.

"Huey, get away from the kid." he hollers to the pudgy creature.

OOC Comments
Lore: D-Bee 49% 1d100:
ID species if Weiss doesn't already know them (as I suspect he does)

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Virtus » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:16 am

Virtus