Torment

The continuing adventures of an arrogant elf, and the masochists who join him on his fools errands.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: Torment

Postby Ashlynn » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:25 am

Perception: 79% /84% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 72

JIC: 1d20 = 12
1d100 = 13

Conditions:
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.

Barracuda wrote:"This is somehow creepier than the greylands."


Ashlynn nods. "I mean, that place was almost lifeless... but that mostly just meant bein' alone. here... there's untold horrors in the dark."

Barracuda wrote:"She's saying the tech doodads aren't working. There's uh... well, back in my day at least, there's giant tech things way up in the sky that send signals around the world. I forgot that we don't have that back home."


"Wow. I wonder why they don't work any more. did they all fallout of the sky or something?"

Weiss wrote:"Stay safe everyone,... You especially Ash"


Ashlynn smiles and radios back, "Gotcha. Try not to get 'disarmed.' Roger dodger."

Ashlynn travels with the convoy, eyes on a swivel as they take the road to St. Elizabeth. The 3-hour trip is taxing, but she's in good spirits when they arrive.

Right on - a safe haven, at least for now.

She drops down out of the APC turret and gives her bookwyrm Huey a quick snuggle. "You did real good back there Huey! Thanks for hanging out in here, I almost lost ya when we got here and I dunno what I'd do if I lost you for real."

She sets him down once they're inside the barricade and steps out to examine the situation. Ash points to the nearby buildings and elbows Barracuda. "Shadows."

Ash will scrutinize the local officers and doctor, to make sure everyone here is who they claim to be.

Eyeball a Fella 77% 1d100 = 80 (Officer in charge - FAIL)
Eyeball a Fella 77% 1d100 = 61 (Doctor - SUCCESS)
Eyeball a Fella 77% 1d100 = 92 (anyone else who seems important - FAIL)
Eyeball a Fella 77% 1d100 = 84 (anyone else who seems important - FAIL)

Ashlynn will then try to help triage the people from the convoy, to lighten the load on the two doctors. "All right - everyone who followed us, line up here. I'm gonna give you each a look and send those in more immediate need direct to the doctors... those with cuts and scrapes we can treat right here."

First Aid 90% 1d100 = 12 (triage or treat - SUCCESS)
First Aid 90% 1d100 = 54 (triage or treat - SUCCESS)
First Aid 90% 1d100 = 39 (triage or treat - SUCCESS)

When it is time to organize people into chow lines, Ash helps prepare and serve rations.

Cook 90% 1d100 = 44 (SUCCESS)

Afterwards, Ashlynn scouts around, first looking at the debris and cars here to see if anything useful can be salvaged in a pinch. These cars might have stuff left behind in them, or at a minimum we might be able to make beds or cloaks or something out of the seats. Tires can be piled up and lit on fire as defense against dark-loving beasts. And any tools left behind can find new purpose as well. Heck, even car radios can be repurposed if need be. She proceeds cautiously, not wanting to be buried in an avalanche of clunkers.

Salvage 55% 1d100 = 86 (FAIL)

Recycle 85% 1d100 = 85 (SUCCESS)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 45/45
S.D.C.: 68/68


TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45/45
  • Arms: 40/40 each
  • Legs: 45/45 each
  • Main Body: 100/100
Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, and +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Infrared & thermal masking

N-F20A Medium Force Field (integrated into FreeRunner Exoskeleton)
M.D.C. by Location:
    Force Field: 75
Features:
    10 hour duration per E-clip
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Ronith » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:09 am

JIC: 1d20 = 13, 1d100 = 80
PER: 1d100 = 52 vs. 94% (+15% with hearing, +25% to ID friend or foe, strategic assessment, ID strengths and weaknesses of enemy; +10% to ID enemy in disguise, metamorphed, or shape-changed)
Conditions
  • Headaches: Half APM until further notice.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 395.00 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
Paramedic- 10d100:
43, 44, 60, 72, 62, 26, 8, 55, 71, 57
vs. 116%
To assist the doctor(s) with any patients in need.

At Daisuke’s request for permission to use his abilities, Ronith waves his hand a little dismissively at the man and says, ”Yes of course- use your discretion. Coordinate with Weiss and the rest of the convoy.” Perhaps he is a bit too used to the straightlaced formality of the military. Once he has done all he can to help with the wounded, Ronith will take a little breather and ride in an overwatch capacity for the team’s APC. The cyber-knight is unsurprised when they meet other survivors, and wastes little time in welcoming them to the convoy. However, he will follow this with a radio transmission to Grant and anyone else riding with the collegiate mages. ”Grant, everyone, some survivors are joining us. Have everyone who can give them a once-over for evil- I doubt any demonic types would go to the trouble of infiltrating us when there are so many easier targets out there, but I want us to be protected from casual mischief.” That done, Ronith takes his own orders and senses evil ((-2 ISP; 140-ft. range outside of ley lines)); assuming nobody finds anything concerting, they move on.

Ronith gives a sigh of relief when they reach the hospital- there, he will take the lead in coordinating triage with Dr. Garelson and any other medical personnel remaining. Especially if Garelson is the last one there with medical training, Ronith will move to assist her without a word and will not rest until they’ve done everything they can for each and every patient (new and old). ”Barracuda, take charge of the civilians. Get them fed and berthed and whatever else they need. I am sure these people could use a rest. Everyone- great work. You all performed superbly under the most challenging circumstances imaginable. Get a good rest- I fully expect you to do it again tomorrow.” With a deadpan joke-but-not-really, Ronith tries to signal that things can begin to get back to normal. If he has time, Ronith will take a quiet moment to remove his helmet, breathe the fresh air, and massage his temples in yet another attempt to make the stubborn headache go away.

Ronith will strive to address two more things beyond any medical needs with which he can assist. First, as he gets a sense of the fear among the civilian populace, his initial instinct is to order the newly-magical humans separated from the others. Then he stops. It’s as if he can see the schism, in the future between the Coalition States and the Federation of Magic, developing backwards over time until it narrows to points like this one. Fear of the unknown. Loss. Pain. Ronith doesn’t know if there’s anything they can do about all that, but he knows he has to try. A cyber-knight’s work is never done. Thus, to Grant, he says ”Grant, continue your lessons as you are able. But from now on, make sure anyone without the gift who wants to can sit in. Give them a chance to familiarize themselves with magic. It may not accomplish much now, but if we can show them that magic is a tool like any other we may be able to facilitate a sense of community later.”

Finally, Ronith will seek out Colonel Carver. ”Colonel, I assume you and anyone else in charge around here would like to plan your next move. I may be of some assistance to those discussions, and whenever you are ready I am happy to make myself available to you.” When the time comes, Ronith will merely reiterate his suggestion that they head towards Chicago. ”Do not enter the city proper, but find one of the towns or suburbs far enough away where you can lay low and protect yourselves. I am afraid that that is going to have to be your primary concern for the rest of your lives. I do not envy you the struggle ahead.”

Eventually, when he has completed his daily tasks, Ronith will rustle up some food (rations or Grant’s sustain talisman, if all else fails), then he will exhaustedly find somewhere where he can curl up and sleep. Damn these headaches.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Conditions: Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent);
Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
+11 vs. Magic, 16 vs. HF, 7 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 83/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (3/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Postby Grant Latham » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:49 pm

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100 = 53
JIC: 1d20 = 19, 1d100 = 17

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 94/94
  • P.P.E.: 1968/656
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 25 PPE| 400.00 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invisibility to Sensors | MA 15 | 20 PPE | 40.00 min
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60.00 min | 225 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
  • Mystic Invisibility | MA 17 | 25 PPE | 100.00 min
  • Nightvision | MA 9 | 4 PPE | 120.00 min | 3600' in non magical darkness
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 PPE | 20 min | 1200'
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 PPE | 40 min | 270' radius


Grant's efforts to reinforce the caravan's people while on the move had limited success. He quickly realized that they still had sufficient vehicles for everyone, so the people he knew he needed to teach how to control their magical affinity were quickly disbursed. Luckily the journey to the hospital was a relative short one. The roads at least still mostly intact had made the journey relatively easily.

Ronith wrote:”Grant, everyone, some survivors are joining us. Have everyone who can give them a once-over for evil- I doubt any demonic types would go to the trouble of infiltrating us when there are so many easier targets out there, but I want us to be protected from casual mischief.” That done, Ronith takes his own orders and senses evil ((-2 ISP; 140-ft. range outside of ley lines)); assuming nobody finds anything concerting, they move on.


As Grant hears calls over the radio that someone has approached the caravan, he quickly flies to that spot and uses his magical abilities to sense evil and see auras. He uses his psychic power of Empathy to identify those people who are showing elevated levels of hostility. For those that have no aura, he has the soldiers in the caravan pull those people aside.


Upon reaching the hospital he rounds up his charges he asks them to come find him after they've had the opportunity to sleep for a few hours planning on meeting them at 1pm.

Grant musters the collegiate team together and sets up a protocol to check all of the current people in the hospital and then any newcomers that arrive. "I believe there are many evil beings and beings with malicious intent that are waiting for an opportunity to infiltrate our group. Check the auras and emotions of those within the building. There is bound to be many who are impacted with loss and confusion, but those that seem to have to be happy at the misery going on, or other incongruent emotion may be a sign of someone who is possesed or being controlled. We will need to most likely repeat the check daily. Any newcomers should be scanned as well, so setup shifts to keep some at the entrances at all times. Also, I had hoped that we'd be able to mitgate any logistical problems of the caravan since food and clean water will most likely become scarce over the next days and weeks. That wasn't really possible with the caravan on the move, so we need to work on it now. Those of you who know the sustain spell, please take the time to cast it upon everyone you meet. I know most of us are reluctant to share our knowledge without sides, but take the time to explain what you are doing to those that show interest, especially those who have the glowing eyes. I am not asking you share the secrets to combat magic, but these wild talents may be what allows the survivors to make it here in this time and place. If we've truly gone back to our own past, the lives we save may be our own ancestors."

When reports back to Sir Ronith and hears his concerns,

Ronith wrote:Thus, to Grant, he says ”Grant, continue your lessons as you are able. But from now on, make sure anyone without the gift who wants to can sit in. Give them a chance to familiarize themselves with magic. It may not accomplish much now, but if we can show them that magic is a tool like any other we may be able to facilitate a sense of community later.”


"I didn't get as far as I wanted while we were on the road, so I do need to continue. I've arranged for them to meet with me at 1pm where we will continue our discussion on the nature and use for magic. I've asked our Collegiate members to be more open with what they are doing as well as they use their skills to help secure of from supernatural infiltrators. I am going to check in with the two doctors, there were a number of soldiers who appear to have been fused with other physical objects, I may be able to help them." Grant had taken the time to look at Sir Ronith's aura, it definitely wasn't normal, but there wasn't anything substantial he could do about it. He looks so tired, the Sustain spell is doing it's job for me, but more magic that affects his physiology may not be the right course. He checks his pouches and pulls out a small bottle from his first aid kit. He opens it and shakes out a half-dozen pills. He holds out his hand, "It's not magic, but just regular pain killers. It may help."


Invoke Trust 60 vs 1d100 = 3 | Convince the doctor's to let him help


Grant leaves Sir Ronith and finds the two doctors, "There were some people we found while still in St. Louis, soldiers I think. They were injured and it looked like some equipment or other material was some how fused into their bodies. Have you seen them yet? Were you able to help them? If not, I may have a, um, unorthodox method for getting the material out of them. It wouldn't necessarily heal them, but would make any surgery easier to perform." He turns towards the doctor we picked up along the way, "You may have seen something of what I or other of us could do. There isn't a technological basis for it, but it is a way to manipulate the world around us. I will show you a small example." Something flashy, but not replicable by psionics would be perfect. He picks up a magazine or pamphlet off the table and rips it in half. "Here each of you hold on to one piece of this, there. Now bring the broken edges together." Grant casts Mend the Broken causing the ripped edges to merge together without a sign of having been ripped. "Many, as do I, call this magic. It has rules just like most sciences, but does require a natural talent to harness. I do have some healing magic, but I can't replicate what I just did on flesh unfortunately, so while I think I can help, there's much physicians such as yourselves will still need to do yourselves."

If they agree, Grant joins them and he will cast Purge: Other on those that need it.

When finished he naps for at least a couple of hours, or until 1pm whichever comes first.

When 1pm rolls around, he rejoins his magical novitiates and resumes his lectures and spell casting performances allowing them to record him casting low level spells.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Torment

Postby Jack McDermott » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:39 am

Perception: 1d100 = 73 vs 45%
JIC: 1d20 = 5 and 1d100 = 72

Jack rides in the back of the APC silently. With the action subsiding his thoughts turn to his past introduction with the new world. It wasn't this bad. But I was alone. At least they have each other. He look out on the landscape as they travel wondering how long after his departure this was. They never knew it was coming. Would that have made a difference?

When they arrive at the hospital he is taken by the sadness of the state of things and melancholy settles on him. He wonders around the hospital haplessly, watching the people go about their day. The look in their eyes, Fear? Confusion? So many looked on the brink of just giving up. He considers the daunting task of motivating the people to fight for their lives, How can I? No, we! How can we give them the desire to want to live? Is it worth it? Is it right? Would it be more humane to let them give up? Jack's thoughts go dark as he considers the struggle he went through. As he considers the struggles they will have to endure. He remembers all the times when he first arrived that he wished he was strong enough to end all the pain and suffering.

There has to be hope. There has to be something we can do for them. A thought settles in the back of Jack's mind and he seeks out Ronith. "Sir Rontih, these people. They will suffer. When we go back. Can we take them? It will be hard for them, but good lord. It would have to be easier than what they will have to face." Then Jack's face goes pale as he realizes something he had forgotten, We may not even get back. We may have to suffer through this too!
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Weiss » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:25 am

Perception 56% 1d100 = 45
JIC 1d100 = 55 1d20 = 6

Conditions:
Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night

Weiss is focused as he pilots the Beauty along the highway. With a moderate amount of radio traffic still going on, he does what he can to pick the signals up and decipher them. Any usable intelligence he passes back to the others. During the lulls, he engages Jaz and anybody else on the bowl, noting that the bowl can not stopped communicating despite the limitations it has.

Virtus wrote:Either way the group blows past the checkpoint, heading for St. Elizabeth. The interstate is faster, but the plethora of non functioning vehicles and bodies slows progress. When they come off the exit, the find a barricade that has been manned by locals, law enforcement and some military reserves along with a handful of NEMA. The barricade encircles the hospital. Cars have been parked end to end and a loader has been used to stack them two and three high. A semi is used as the gate. Carver secures entry for the caravan.


As he enters, he notes the damage already, despite how early days into the Cataclysm they were. It was only going to get worse.

At this point, presumably Grant casts sustain on him.

"Cheers," he pats the mage on the back, "I was just starting to flag. How are you holding up?" His voice is full of concern for the young mage. You've been pushing yourself hard. Can you keep up with all that magic?

Ronith wrote:Everyone- great work. You all performed superbly under the most challenging circumstances imaginable. Get a good rest- I fully expect you to do it again tomorrow.”


"Going to look around first, see what I can do to help out to secure this place. We might be here a bit."

Heading around the hospital and barricade, he does anything he can to fix the place up or to improve the defenses, especially noting where the defenses are not MDC.

Electronic Countermeasures 69% 1d100 = 32 pick up and decrypt transmissions
General Repair & Maintenance 109% (+5%) 1d100 = 10 repair the hospital
Basic Electronics 79% 1d100 = 4 repair the hospital
Mechanical Engineer 64% (+5%) 1d100 = 92 repair the hospital
Electrical Engineer 64% 1d100 = 10 repair the hospital
Military Fortifications 44% 1d100 = 73 improve the defenses
Sensory Equipment 74% 1d100 = 59
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Torment

Postby Keiko » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:41 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 77/36%
JIC: 1d20 = 13;1d100 = 76

Active Effects


Keiko rides in the APC for the trip. She does help with magical tutelage when she is able to. She also works on helping people cope with being like her. She works towards building understanding that not every thing that is different is bad. She knows they have been through a lot and does not push if people become too uncomfortable with her presence. She does not want to drive them away.

When they reach the hospital, Keiko keeps near H4H. She listens to Ronith talk to the group. He is a good leader. Knows his stuff. He looks exhausted even though he tries to hide it. He stays strong for the group. He's a good man. These are all good people. Always able to use that. Good is very predictable. Still we have to get out of here. Then I can focus on securing their help to track down some murderers. Good people like to help with those things.

Keiko will look for Ash while they have some down time, "Hey Ash. Glad to see you got off the bridge alright. Ronith is quite the warrior, isn't he? He dove in head first to those undead we were holding back. Is he always like that?" If Huey is also present Keiko will also say, "Hey Huey. I bet your glad to be out of the APC." Keiko will hold her hand for Huey and give him a pet if he lets her.

Keiko will spend the rest of her down time on the top of the APC cleaning off her Axe. She will catch a few hours of sleep when she is finished.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86

MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
User avatar
Keiko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Virtus » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:52 pm

Conditions
Time: Day 4, 07:00am
Temperature: 19F
Visibility: 50ft (heavy fog)
Wind: 5mph out of the Northwest
Snow: 24"
Radio Traffic: moderate, heavy interference
Magic Use: Magic within 500ft. nexus rules in effect. Supernatural evil is detectable within 500ft and all will sense it within the scope of time.
Nexus Present within 1 mile
Open Rifts within 1 mile


The Previous Night

Ashlynn's care of the people in their care was noticed by Dr. Amy Garleson. "You have a good way with them. You'd make a good doctor." she says, her smile somewhat forced, though he words are sincere. She's clearly tired, but carries on her way. Huey is on edge while they are outside looking though abandoned vehicles. Much to Ashlynn's dismay there are many dead in the roads. Most appear to have died from exposure, but some have obvious gun, knife or blunt force wounds. She finds credit cards, clothes, jewelry, gold and silver (roughly 25,000 credits worth) and tools equivalent to three mechanics kits. She also discovered several dozen mini compuers (equivalent to top end tablet or laptop) however all were inoperable. They have ruptured

The headache Ronith has wrestled with for over a day had worn Ronith down. Sitting in a waiting room seat, he closes his eyes as if to blink and hears distant voices, hundreds of them. For a moment, he doesn't even remember his own name or even what he was doing just an hour ago. Faces from his past swim before his eyes. Comrades that have disappeared come back fresh to his mind as if they were just there. Simply put he is disoriented but not uncomfortably so. Awaking 6 hours later, he immediately notices his headache has left, leaving his mind unnaturally clear and resolute. It's clear the extreme environment here is having an effect on him, opening .

The cyberknight also speaks to many of the survivors. He finds that everyone that came from St. Louis itself have very few problems, though about 10 percent are having a very hard time with it. During the night three different people simply left the building and never returned. One man hung himself on the 3rd floor. The trial by fire has seemed to acclimate most. Fear has kept their minds clear. The people they have encountered at the hospital are a little worse off, simply angry or confused about everything going on. Many hold out a false hope that things will turn around. However tales from St Louis stoke fear among the people who were already here.

Grant casts sustain on everyone he can find. (-3,000 P.P.E. over the course of 24 hours) but finds that many people are restless and easily agitated. While they don't NEED to eat or drink, they crave food and drink. For many, it may be stress and for others simply habit. Many seek what food is available within the hospital.

The mage, along with some of the folk from the College provide very rudimentary tutoring. To most it's half a joke. They have no capacity for control. So far, even the individuals able to release some of their overflowing PPE, retain their dimly glowing eyes.

Ronith and Colonel Carver. Carver makes contact with Carbondale, Illinois and the base there. Major Washington is there with a company of soldiers. She warns them that there is a group of renegade soldiers on the outskirts causing a lot of trouble. She inquires as to the size of the force at Colonel Carvers command. She wouldn't mind taking out the renegade faction but would need help.

The Bowl

Weiss gets updates from Jaz and Zoe. The College has a theory. If they can return to the place where were shot through the portal at the next full moon, Jaz can take her bowl and make contact under the full moon to "tune" the rift between the two times. The apparently trans-temporal nature of the bowls may control the nature of the rift at that location.

Weiss after receiving that news also goes out to help in securing the hospital. Of course it has many door, too many of which are glass. So he enlists some of militia to stack whatever they can find in front the large glass doors and large windows around the lobby.

The Next Morning

It's early the following morning and many are gathered on the 5th floor, looking out over the scene below. The heavy fog stays in place as Grant keeps his ley line storm magic in place. While there are no storms near the hospital, they roll out of the west from St Louis like ripples in a pond. Jack remembers watching for the ley lines dance for several hours before getting some sleep. In the distance, just through the fog he could see headlights make their way through the falling snow which had picked up since the day previous as the temperature dropped. Barracuda watches as a grey dawn fights its way onto the scene. Just under the grey, a dull red stretches out from the eastern horizon. Ryver seems much more calm today. Barracuda notices nothing more than ripples from the fountain as Ryver walks by. He sees her discreetly trying to wave her hands over the water, but nothing happens. She looks around, embarrassed and moves away quickly.

Keiko too watches the approaching dawn but also to the west where St Louis burns. The hospital shakes for several seconds from an earthquake and then returns to stillness.

Carver is interested in going to Carbondale, but he is unsure about dragging civlians along if it becomes a firefight. He approaches the group when they are gathered and seeks their council "So, friends, what's your assessment of this situation? What does the future hold for us? What are you going to do? You say you come from the future. Are you stuck here too? What's the best course of action? How bad is this going to get?"

Consider this a planning phase. Discuss what you want to do.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Torment

Postby Keiko » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:18 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 13/36%
JIC: 1d20 = 19;1d100 = 47

Active Effects


Keiko wakes early to great the dawn. She sits at the window using her fur comb to keep the knot from forming. Remembering the simpler time when Devon would help her. She would sit by a window similar to this one. Once finished with her fur Keiko moves on to her hair. The wild mess from yesterday not making it easy on her silver hair brush. Slowly but surely Keiko gets herself into a presentable state. Keiko feels the earth shake as she finishes. Well that's likely not a good thing. We'll have to keep an eye out for after shocks or even more powerful quakes. Keiko dons her armor once more and goes to meet up with the rest of the group. If she sees Ash and Huey, "Hey Ash." Keiko will lean to Huey, "You keeping her out of trouble ya?" Keiko leans back up, "Sleep well? Did you feel the earth quake this morning?"

Keiko listens to the colonel talk. Great! Everyone is about to look at the Temporal Mage when asking about the future. Even here people want to know the future. Why? Why can't they just be happy with the surprises the future will offer them. Would it be better to know of your death before it happens? Then you end up like the poor sod on the third floor. I guess they can always give the "records were destroyed" excuse, which is true. I wonder if there are historians who would pay for an account of what happened here. I'm sure they would. And right when I left my recording devices in Atlantis. Oh well. maybe I can find some trinkets to take back with us. Keiko keeps her mouth shut when it comes to answering the "what is the future" question. She has seen that play out a few times and never for good.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86

MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
User avatar
Keiko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Ronith » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:34 am

JIC: 1d20 = 9, 1d100 = 53
PER: 1d100 = 11 vs. 94% (+15% with hearing, +25% to ID friend or foe, strategic assessment, ID strengths and weaknesses of enemy; +10% to ID enemy in disguise, metamorphed, or shape-changed)

The previous night:
Grant Latham wrote:"It's not magic, but just regular pain killers. It may help."
Ronith hesitates. We are as safe as we are likely to get anytime soon, and there is no point in suffering. You need a good night’s sleep, for the good of everyone. The cyber-knight then grimaces, then nods and accepts the drugs, popping them into his mouth and downing them in a single fluid move. ”Thank you” he says wearily.

Jack McDermott wrote:"Sir Rontih, these people. They will suffer. When we go back. Can we take them? It will be hard for them, but good lord. It would have to be easier than what they will have to face."
Odin knows it will. Can we? I can’t think. Ronith closes his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose. He has enough on his plate without adding moral philosophy and more temporal mechanics to it. ”I do not know, Jack, but I do not think it is a risk that we can take. We have no way of knowing what the effects of removing these people from the timeline may be. Leaving aside pragmatic concerns, I am not sure MercTown would be that much easier for them. They may be better off here, among their fellows who understand what it is they are going through. What it is they have lost. We know that some of humanity survives- perhaps these people are among that part. Here, they still have each other. With us? They would have no-one.” In any event, it is not an option I will offer, but can I truly turn down any who ask to return with us? What is the right thing to do? For once in his life, Ronith does not have a clear answer to that question, and that troubles him greatly. But at the end of the day, deep down he knows what he has to do.

If Weiss doesn’t wait to share his revelations from the bowl, Ronith will smile and nod with a slightly pained expression on his face. ”That is good news. Tell the rest of the team- and see if you can find out when the next full moon is. But keep the circle tight for now- we do not want to get anyone’s hopes up unnecessarily. We can discuss a plan tomorrow.” Before he at last collapses from pain and fatigue, Ronith does what he can to comfort the survivors too. They are doing well, all things considered.

The next morning:
Ronith awakes to a new day, his head clear and his mind feeling sharp. As usual, he is an early riser, and slips out quietly to avoid disturbing the others. If he’s up early enough, he will greet the dawn, and reflect on how even in a world that contains the horrors they so narrowly escaped yesterday, it still contains moments of peace and beauty. Moments such as this. It reminded him to consider the flipside of his moral dilemma concerning the rescued civilians. They would face much hardship and suffering over the coming dark age, yes- but also moments of triumph and joy. These people would help pull their civilization back from the brink of annihilation- who was he to deny them that? There were no guarantees that their lives would be any better in MercTown than in the settlement that would become Chi-town. Best not to meddle. Or at least, not too much. As he breathed in the crisp morning air, and enjoyed the absence of pain behind his eyes, a second idea began to form in Ronith’s mind. Probably not amounting to much, but one never knows…

As the others awaken, Ronith will look and feel much better as he again takes charge and assists with any needs (medical, logistical, or other) presenting that morning. When Carver calls for a meeting with the team, Ronith is eager to start planning their next steps. Presumably, Weiss has revealed his conversation with the future by this point, in which case Ronith largely responds as above.

Virtus wrote:"So, friends, what's your assessment of this situation? What does the future hold for us? What are you going to do? You say you come from the future. Are you stuck here too? What's the best course of action? How bad is this going to get?"
Ronith hesitates, debating whether or how much to answer, but in the end he decides that Carver deserves a straight answer. ”I know few if any specifics- at least two centuries separate your time and ours, and for reasons that are likely already obvious record-keeping from that time is nonexistent. Most of what I could tell you about what is happening to your world would likely only serve to demoralize you and your men. But I can tell you this- though humanity is about to enter a new dark age, enclaves do survive. If you take these people to one of the small cities outside of Chicago, you will find one of them. Ultimately, you learn about this new world of yours, adapt to it, and gradually overcome the obstacles it places in your path. But it is not without loss, or pain; equally I would assume, it is not without its triumphs.”

He looks back at Weiss before continuing. ”We believe we may have a way back to our time. I do not know if it will work with you, and frankly I do not think I should try. We need to get to Paducah, Kentucky before the next full moon. Do you have any sort of map, and a calendar specifying when the next full moon is?”

Ronith will consult both before proceeding further, and determine that Carbondale is on the way to what will later become MercTown. ”Colonel, roughly how many renegade troops do you believe are operating in the area?” Ronith’s tactics will depend a little on whether there are few enough troops that he believes Heroes for Hire can engage them safely, leaving the rest of the mercenaries behind to care for the civilians. Assuming that is the case, he will continue, ”I would be willing to lead a small strike force to assist with this effort, but I am afraid Colonel that I must do so on one condition. My people are mercenaries; fighting is their livelihood, and I cannot order them to do it for free. If we are to assist you in bringing these renegades to justice, I require that my troops get right of first salvage. Functioning technology from this era is very valuable in my time, and even damaged military equipment could likely prove useful. I realize that it is uncivilized of me to ask- unfortunately, that is the world you live in now. The sooner you and your men accept that, the better for everyone involved.”

Assuming the Colonel agrees, Ronith will quickly scan the team for any signs of disagreement, before continuing. ”Ideally, there would be a fortified or at least defensible location on the way where we could leave the of the civilians. I would assign most of my mercenaries to guard them, then lead an elite strike force to raid the renegades’ position. If we hit them hard and fast, they will be unable to bring their heavy weapons to bear effectively. If we need more troops, I can detail some mercenaries for fire support.”
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Conditions: Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent);
Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
+11 vs. Magic, 16 vs. HF, 7 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 83/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (3/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Postby Ashlynn » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:35 am

Perception: 79% /84% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 97

JIC: 1d20 = 11
1d100 = 41

Conditions:
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 12.5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


Dr. Amy wrote:"You have a good way with them. You'd make a good doctor."


Ashlynn giggles, shaking her head. "That's just silly." I'm just a kid! How can she know I'd be a good doctor?

Later, rummaging through the cars, Ashlynn pulls the clothes out and sets them aside. That'll be useful for folks when it gets colder. The jewelry... man I'd love to take it but jewelery gets ehavy and noisy, and frankly... it's a little morbid. I'll leave it for the folks here - they may need some trade goods eventually. She pulls the tools together as well and sets them aside. Those'll be useful too.

She approaches Colonel Carver, and gives him a briefing on what she's found. "HEY Colonel... I went through the car-wall over yonder for salvage. Lots of clothes, some good tools and such. I set 'em aside - the refugees can probably use the clothes as it gets colder and trust me, you'll want to hang on to tools. I found some portable computers too but they're all fried. Another thing! There's jewelry and such still in the cars - I left it all there - but now I think of it, you may need tradable commodities in the near future. You may wanna have someone pull all that out. Metals like gold and silver are good to trade, particularly 'cause they're electroconductive. Okay, Bye!"

Her immediate tasks done, Ashlynn finds a cot and collapses onto it, falling immediately into a deep sleep, Huey taking up a position on her chest, catlike. She heaves him to the side of her, grunting, so she can breathe.




Ash wakes up when the earth rumbles beneath them, rolling out of her cot and into a crouch on the floor until it stops. "What the frak?" Huey grunts and looks up. That felt like a coalition convoy moving through.


As she stands, he snorts at her. "I know, you're hungry. Let's go rustle you up some vittles."

Keiko wrote:"Hey Ash... Sleep well? Did you feel the earth quake this morning?"


Ash laughs. "That what that was? I thought it was a convoy of Power armor marching through." she smiles at Keiko.

Colonel Carver wrote:"So, friends, what's your assessment of this situation? What does the future hold for us? What are you going to do? You say you come from the future. Are you stuck here too? What's the best course of action? How bad is this going to get?"


History: Post-Apocalypse 80/75% 1d100 = 42 (remember any postapocalypse history germane to the region - SUCCESS)

"Well, the bad news Colonel is that it don't get much better, really. The good news is it don't get much worse either. This is... your new normal. Oh it's gonna feel worse, for sure, but that's just you learning what normal is. There's demons an' stuff what come through the rifts, but there's good people too - the Rifts ain't picky about who they take. And you've got a lot of energy you'll have to learn how to deal with - magic - and learning hurts sometimes."

As Ronith gives a more detailed and well-thought-out answer, Ashlynn listens intently, breaking up a piece of a ration bar and tossing the chunks to her chonky little bookwyrm.

Ronith wrote:Functioning technology from this era is very valuable in my time, and even damaged military equipment could likely prove useful.


After he talks with Colonel Carver, Ashlynn approaches the leader of the Heroes for Hire.

"Sir Ronith? I found some laptop and tablet computers earlier, but they were pretty fried. I dunno if you want 'em. But if you do, I'll go gather 'ema nd load 'em into the APC."
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 45/45
S.D.C.: 68/68


TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45/45
  • Arms: 40/40 each
  • Legs: 45/45 each
  • Main Body: 100/100
Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, and +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Infrared & thermal masking

N-F20A Medium Force Field (integrated into FreeRunner Exoskeleton)
M.D.C. by Location:
    Force Field: 75
Features:
    10 hour duration per E-clip
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Jack McDermott » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:07 am

Perception: 1d100 = 83 vs 45%
JIC: 1d20 = 18 and 1d100 = 23

Ronith wrote:”I do not know, Jack, but I do not think it is a risk that we can take. We have no way of knowing what the effects of removing these people from the timeline may be. Leaving aside pragmatic concerns, I am not sure MercTown would be that much easier for them. They may be better off here, among their fellows who understand what it is they are going through. What it is they have lost. We know that some of humanity survives- perhaps these people are among that part. Here, they still have each other. With us? They would have no-one.”


Jack nods and walks away, disappointment and understanding cloud his mind. They will have each, but what good is that? Dying together? Does that make death better? We can spare them death. They will struggle no matter what, but, we can spare them death. Isn’t that what we are supposed to do?

Jack thanks Rontih for his time and finds a place to bed down for the night near a window. Sitting looking out Jack has trouble quelling his thoughts, Is it because they ae human? Does he not care? No. Not possible. It can’t be. Could it? Finding himself questioning Ronith’s motives Jack looks out watching the ley lines storms roll through before finally falling to sleep out of sheer exhaustion.

In the morning.

In the morning Jack wakes up fresh in the mind although tight in the body. He finds something to eat for breakfast out habit, not out of hunger. We won’t let them suffer. Ronith wouldn’t let them suffer, he convinces himself as he prepares for the day.

Jack joins the group for the meeting and after it is over he seeks out Ronith, ”Sir, How do we know Major Washington is the good guy in this? What if the renegades are the good guys? Offering the question he leaves Ronith to do what he does. Jack makes his way to the APC and readies himself to go wherever the team decides.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Grant Latham » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:28 am

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100 = 45
JIC: 1d20 = 18, 1d100 = 20

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 94/94
  • P.P.E.: 1968/656
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 25 PPE| 400.00 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invisibility to Sensors | MA 15 | 20 PPE | 40.00 min
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60.00 min | 225 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
  • Mystic Invisibility | MA 17 | 25 PPE | 100.00 min
  • Nightvision | MA 9 | 4 PPE | 120.00 min | 3600' in non magical darkness
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 PPE | 20 min | 1200'
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 PPE | 40 min | 270' radius


Weiss wrote:At this point, presumably Grant casts sustain on him.

"Cheers," he pats the mage on the back, "I was just starting to flag. How are you holding up?" His voice is full of concern for the young mage. You've been pushing yourself hard. Can you keep up with all that magic?


By the time Grant makes it Weiss, he'd cast Sustain over 100 times. The Collegiate had helped some, but were turning out to be basically useless. Whether it was the ramifications of having travelled into their own past, and or, realizing they may have to live through the darkest moments in humanity's history, the mage couldn't say. The Lord Magi has to stop for a second and think about Weiss' inquiry about himself. "Other than a bit of hoarseness in my throat from repeating the incantation to assuage hunger and thirst, I am fine, John. I plan to mediate for a few hours later once I've taken care of this logistical task. I'd be in some serious trouble if I hadn't been able to get the storm shield up in St. Louis. You may not have noticed, but the storm is strongly attracted to those that can wield magic." He looks to the bowl, "I am still amazed that we've been able to maintain contact with our present. When Beltin received the Moon Bowls as a gift from Sir Zero Moon Celestial Society, I had only considered it as a minor magical communication tool based on it's limitations of use.

Evenutally Grant finishes his task, he meditates for a few hours, trusting in the Sustain spell to keep up his strength. In the early morning hours, Grant finds a spot to refine the principles of magic, he pulls out a pen and notepad and writes. As he writes, he thinks about the reactions of his students.

Many would be upset with most people with having only half of their 'pupils' understanding the subject matter taught, but the Lord Magi is more pragmatic. Belief is key in understanding and utilizing magic. Even in my day where magic if not accepted, at least acknowledged as existing, very few have the talent, and those that do, even fewer development to any appreciable degree. The fact that 50% of these people want to learn is a miracle. Though I suspect they will still have to find their own way crafting magic based on their needs instead of the rote method of my time.

To those that come across him, they find him pen in hand, the pen poised above the paper filled with a small neat script, but otherwise motionless as he ponders what are the essential elements that will help teach this group of people how to make magic their own.

He can't help but think back to the previous day when he offered the doctor's his assistance and their polite, but firm rebuff, more willing to accept Ashlynn's bedside manner. Perhaps it's best that those of us from the future don't swoop in and try to save them from everything, we can't truly prevent it, and they will be all the worse when we leave.

Navigation: 116% vs 1d100 = 20 Distance between Devil's Arch and Merc-Town and estimate on how long it would take in the future.

Grant joins the morning meeting, he finds a seat off to the side. He listens to Carver's information and nods in agreement at Sir Ronith's answer about the future. As they discuss the Collegiate theory on how to return, the mage lifts his hand and interjects, "Actually we need to go about 50 miles east of Paducah. The nexus was near a town in our time called Croftonland. Colonel Carver, do your maps have such a town on them?" With the instability of the ley lines, rift teleporting is probably out of the question. The chances of the rift going awry is significant.

When the maps are displayed, Grant examines the route, "Jack, do you have any knowledge of the conditions of this route in our time? Under perfect conditions, this probably a 5 to 6 hour trip. We probably need to go much slower, maybe a full day travel."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Torment

Postby Jack McDermott » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:26 am

Jack McDermott wrote:Perception: Original post: 1d100 = 83 vs 45%
JIC: Original post: 1d20 = 18 and Original post: 1d100 = 23


Grant Latham wrote:When the maps are displayed, Grant examines the route, "Jack, do you have any knowledge of the conditions of this route in our time? Under perfect conditions, this probably a 5 to 6 hour trip. We probably need to go much slower, maybe a full day travel."


Jack looks at the map and frown, So many roads we used to have, he thinks to himself. "To be honest Grant, all of this is over grown and thick back home. Nature is motivated and aggressive. There are some walkable trails here and here, " Jack points two the trails and traces the path with his finger. "We are lucky they still have major roads. We wouldn't be able to move such a large group like this through there back home with out spreading out and moving in single or double columns at best."

Jack looks at the map again, "This isn't our time though. This and this," pointing at highways on the map. "These should be wide open. There might be some cars blocking them, but if we can push them aside as we go the way should be open. We should have good vision in front of us and behind us for a good way too. If it were up to me, I would stick to the major highways. We shouldn't have any problems clearing abandoned cars along the way." He turns to look at the people of this time, "Them, they would have a shit time of it. If it was them, I would say lets use this road and this one." Jack points to two local roads that connect and get them to the destination.

"I hope that's enough information to make a decision. What are you guys thinking?," Jack as Grant and Ronith.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Barracuda » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:00 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 17/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 13/1d100 = 17

Ashlynn wrote:
Barracuda wrote:"This is somehow creepier than the greylands."


Ashlynn nods. "I mean, that place was almost lifeless... but that mostly just meant bein' alone. here... there's untold horrors in the dark."


She's not wrong... This place sucks. I can't wait to make it home. How are we going to make it home? Barracuda nods back to Ashlynn, the weight of their current situation making positive communication difficult.

Ashlynn wrote:
Barracuda wrote:"She's saying the tech doodads aren't working. There's uh... well, back in my day at least, there's giant tech things way up in the sky that send signals around the world. I forgot that we don't have that back home."


"Wow. I wonder why they don't work any more. did they all fallout of the sky or something?"

"Or maybe there's something blocking them all. I don't know. I should find out what I can when we get back."


Ashlynn wrote:Ash points to the nearby buildings and elbows Barracuda. "Shadows."

"Creepy. I can light em up if we want. And if it's dark when we're traveling, I can supply some light."
If Ashlynn mentions the cars dead on the highway, Barracuda will go check it out himself to absorb some of their battery power.

Ronith wrote:”Barracuda, take charge of the civilians. Get them fed and berthed and whatever else they need. I am sure these people could use a rest. Everyone- great work. You all performed superbly under the most challenging circumstances imaginable. Get a good rest- I fully expect you to do it again tomorrow.”


Barracuda does his best to mind after the civilians. Between Grant's Sustain spells and the food remaining in the hospital, the aquatic prince does his best to keep everyone healthy. The bed situation is slightly easier, as hospitals have many rooms and beds for people to recover in. Utilizing those, he does what he can to find shelter for everyone.

He spends some time talking with Ryver. "Hey kid, how're you holding up? Freaky fog, isn't it? So, we're clear of that last situation. What's your next move?"
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image

Ledger
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Torment

Postby Daisuke » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:54 am

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 55 | 35%
JIC: 1d20 = 2 | 1d100 = 27%
-----------------------------------
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Adhesion
  • Instant Wardrobe [35lbs] (2/3)
  • Instant Weapon [80lbs] (1/2)
    • Lynx Laser Rifle
    • <empty>
Stats
    HP/MDC: 51/51
    SDC: 191/191
    PPE: 13/13
Crusader EBA
Image
[size=85]M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50
  • Arms: 30 each
  • Legs: 50 each
  • Main Body: 95
Weight: 24 lbs.
Modifiers: Fair mobility, -15% to physical skills
Features:
  • All features standard to environmental armor
Book Reference: p.55-56, WB 34

Saving Throw Bonuses
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 24% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +6 (+1)
Magic (varies): +6 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +9 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +14 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +6 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +6 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +10
Psionics (12+): +6
Horror Factor: +9
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +8 (+6)[/size]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.4 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.

Daisuke moves along with the convoy. Having been granted the freedom by Sir Ronith to utilize his abilities as he sees fit, the Arismal behaves a bit like a mother hen, hopping to-and-fro along the convoy line making sure the various elements are staying together and moving along in the desired direction. He keeps his radio on throughout, relocating upon request.

Upon reaching the hospital, Daisuke breathes a sigh of relief. Good. Survivors are aggregating in relative safe havens. Strength in numbers is what will see these people through this chaos. He subsequently helps the mercenary groups get situated and tries to stay on top of the logistics of where the groups are, their relative strength and how deployment-ready they are. After performing the rounds and acting as an intra-mercenary runner, Daisuke will return to where H4H is encamped, likely using Beauty as the most visible landmark.

When he gets a chance, after hearing that she made some scavenging runs, he will approach Ashlynn, "Hey Ashlynn, perchance did you come across any physical maps or atlases during your scavenging? With so many cars on such well-maintained roads, I can't help but imagine that the drivers had with them some manner of navigation to help them traverse long distances. I'm hoping that at least a few carried such maps with them rather than have it stored digitally." Obtaining such a map would be extremely useful. Not only for our time here, but as a historical record if we are able to return to the future. Daisuke is wholly unaware that Sir Ronith is making a similar request of others around him.

Later, Daisuke joins the meeting called by Carver. If he is fortunate enough to have a map/atlas in hand (thanks to Ashlynn's keen eyes), the Arismal will volunteer it to the discussion, opening it up for referencing their current location relative to their desired destinations.

The dilemma in Carbondale draws a knowing nod from Daisuke. He is appreciative of Sir Ronith's willingness to provide aid and simultaneously that their leader has secured them some manner of compensation for their efforts. "We are probably better suited than most to lend aid in this situation. Local military and rescue forces are clearly overburdened currently and are still trying their hardest to restore whatever semblence of order they can. We have the experience, likely have the personnel and capability to help. But I agree that in this uncertain time, we cannot afford perpetual charity otherwise our fighting ability will be diminished over time and our lives put at greater risk with each subsequent engagement." Daisuke offers to the discussion.
User avatar
Daisuke
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Postby Weiss » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:20 pm

Perception 56% 1d100 = 86
JIC 1d100 = 71 1d20 = 8

Grant Latham wrote:he Lord Magi has to stop for a second and think about Weiss' inquiry about himself. "Other than a bit of hoarseness in my throat from repeating the incantation to assuage hunger and thirst, I am fine, John. I plan to mediate for a few hours later once I've taken care of this logistical task. I'd be in some serious trouble if I hadn't been able to get the storm shield up in St. Louis. You may not have noticed, but the storm is strongly attracted to those that can wield magic." He looks to the bowl, "I am still amazed that we've been able to maintain contact with our present. When Beltin received the Moon Bowls as a gift from Sir Zero Moon Celestial Society, I had only considered it as a minor magical communication tool based on it's limitations of use.


"And suddenly a lot of people can now do magic, coupled with our arrival so there is a lot to attract it. The bowls constantly being use has only got to the adding to the effect," Weiss scratches his hair and tries in vain to flatten a stray tuft that won't go down to helmet hair, " speaking of the bowls, considering the amount of magical energy that got pushed through it, I suspect it might be mainlining the Cataclysm keeping it open. I doubt it is doing the bowls any good. Wouldn't surprise me that they burn out when we get back. Which nicely segue ways into my next comment of go and get some rest!"

Virtus wrote:Weiss gets updates from Jaz and Zoe. The College has a theory. If they can return to the place where were shot through the portal at the next full moon, Jaz can take her bowl and make contact under the full moon to "tune" the rift between the two times. The apparently trans-temporal nature of the bowls may control the nature of the rift at that location.


Weiss blows his wife a kiss and before doing anything else, Weiss rushes through the hospital to find Ronith. Its the sort of information you tell in person

Ronith wrote:If Weiss doesn’t wait to share his revelations from the bowl, Ronith will smile and nod with a slightly pained expression on his face. ”That is good news. Tell the rest of the team- and see if you can find out when the next full moon is. But keep the circle tight for now- we do not want to get anyone’s hopes up unnecessarily. We can discuss a plan tomorrow.”


Nodding, Weiss activates the systems on his armour and isolates a frequency to contact only the H4H on.

"The Collegiate Arcane may have a plan for getting us home. We'll fill you in tomorrow, but if everybody could keep a lookout for a schedule of the next full moon, that would be useful."

Virtus wrote:Weiss after receiving that news also goes out to help in securing the hospital. Of course it has many door, too many of which are glass. So he enlists some of militia to stack whatever they can find in front the large glass doors and large windows around the lobby.


Weiss looks around at the protection they managed to put in place. Most of this stuff won't really stop a laser bolt, but at least it will make it more difficult
What we do need to do if they are staying here is to find materials to fortify the position, set up more defenses, clear the area around for a better field of fire. However...
Weiss turns in the direction of the Arch and sighs they can't stay here.

When he returns

"I need a list of things that we know came through the St Louis Arch please, even if its just the horrible highlights."

The next day, Weiss reveals to the rest of them what the Collegiate Arcane had come up with.

Ronith wrote:He looks back at Weiss before continuing. ”We believe we may have a way back to our time. I do not know if it will work with you, and frankly I do not think I should try. We need to get to Paducah, Kentucky before the next full moon. Do you have any sort of map, and a calendar specifying when the next full moon is?”


Weiss did a few quickly calculations in his head regarding travel speed and how long they'd need to get there.

OOC Comments
Land Navigation 73% (+4%) 1d100 = 60


As discussion moves onto the renegade forces, Weiss adds a question to the mix.

"Do we have any intel on their numbers, make up of their forces etc. There is a big difference between a renegade infantry unit and dealing with 20 Glitter Boys."

Ashlynn wrote:After he talks with Colonel Carver, Ashlynn approaches the leader of the Heroes for Hire.

"Sir Ronith? I found some laptop and tablet computers earlier, but they were pretty fried. I dunno if you want 'em. But if you do, I'll go gather 'ema nd load 'em into the APC."


Presuming Weiss is nearby for this conversation, as he wants to speak to Ronith himself, a few technical questions come to mind.

"Is it just the battery packs or the full computers? If it is just the batteries, I might be able to rig up something to bypass the blown batteries and see if we can gain access. Never know, one of them might have the full moon rota."
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Torment

Postby Virtus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:57 am

Conditions
Time: Day 4, 05:00pm
Temperature: 12F
Visibility: 50ft (heavy fog)
Wind: 5mph out of the Northwest
Snow: 24"
Radio Traffic: light, heavy interference
Magic Use: Magic within 500ft. nexus rules in effect. Supernatural evil is detectable within 500ft and all will sense it within the scope of time.
Nexus Present within 1 mile
Open Rifts within 1 mile


A cold front moves in and the weather becomes bitterly cold. The survivors at the hospital begin assembling a crew to go gather more fuel. The sheriff, Garth Conners, explains that "There's plenty of fuel stations that have diesel, but no electricity to get the pumps running. The electric vehicles don't do well in the cold and once the batteries go dead, we will have to run the generator harder to charge them again. Worse, a good number of our vehicles only worked with network connectivity. Even with a charge, many of them simply won't function. This disaster seems to have largely cut us off from the satellites. But we will see what we can manage. A couple folks here are electricians. We should be back in a few hours." With that, a group forms to venture out and secure more fuel.

Keiko ponders the situation here and future revelations. Sometimes even knowledge of the future doesn't help prevent it.

Other survivors, both from the hospital and from St Louis have no had time to think. Some speak of their family and friends in different parts of the world. Grief and anxiety climb as people are worried about parents, children or friends that live elsewhere. They know this is a wide spread catastrophe.

Ronith asks more about the renegades near Carbondale. Carver replies "Several dozen with a couple of Guardsmen. As far as salvage, the equipment doesn't belong to me to give permission to take it, but if what you say is true, I don't know if it matters anymore. However the Major may have a different opinion.

As far as secured positions? I have no idea. Shortwave is the best tool we have for communication, so I don't know what's still standing. There are several schools and other buildings along the way. I have no idea if those local communities are using them or not, but surely there are idle factories or other office buildings. Probably not 'secure' as it were, but it would be some shelter assuming locals have already procured them as such. But I would agree. Hitting them fast with uh... unexpected... forces could be a boon."


Ronith also asks Weiss about the next full moon. In the hospital is a traditional calendar with the moon phases annotated. It looks like the next full moon is 23 days. During the day, the moon bowl loses it's connection with the other bowl in the future, but everyone time the moon is visible they reconnect. For physical maps, several at the hospital have atlases, but they are now like gold, precious beyond measure. Uncommon even before the cataclysm, now they are already coveted.

Ashlynn mentions the precious items found in the cars and much like her they have some misgivings about the fates of the owners and then also concerns about being outside the walls.

Jack questions Major Washington's motives. The soldiers on the bridge certainly highlighted some potential issues. Carver says nothing, likely considering Jacks words and rolling them over in his head. As the world comes off it's hinges, anything is possible.

Spanky returns from a patrol and mentions the dropping temperature. He stayed low but did hear at least one aircraft above the clouds. Unfortunately even modern SAMAS radar isn't fairing any better in the interference. There were a few dozen people he saw and directed them to the hospital. "Some said they would come, while others were leaving all together, trying to escape the sudden cold. This area isn't used to this sort of weather anyhow." he says.

Grant continues with instruction, filling in nooks of time with general notes. Most of his students take what he and others from the college say with trust rather than doubt. While there are some that view this magic as some sort of parlor trick, nearly all don't seem to question magic or strange powers as being real. He does notice though that most are most interested in learning more about the zombies, if they are real, demons, ghosts, monsters and other threats they are likely to encounter.

While the paper maps are out, Grant uses his knowledge to estimate where they need to go. Finding Kentucky and then Paducah, he scans and finds a small town called, Crofton. No doubt it had morphed into Croftonland at some point over the years, but there is little doubt that its likely the location.

Ryver replies to Barracuda regarding her next move. "Live I suppose. If it's like this all over, is there any plan to make? I don't have any family left really. I had some cousin in Texas, but I don't even know where in Texas they lived. I had thought of starting a restaurant, but I'm thinking that's not going to be a thing anymore." She laughs, but it's a cold laugh reflecting the reality of the situation. He sees that there is a mixture of fear, wild intent and calculation floating in her thoughts.

Daisuke finds the atlases gathered there are certainly helpful and obviously highly treasured. It is revealed that most people relied on global positioning satellites via their phones or computers. Physical maps are a rarity and most people don't possess one. One of the atlases there was procured from the local library before it burned two days ago.

Aside from locating a lunar calendar, Weiss also calculates time to Carbondale. Being conservative he guesses at 8 to 10 hours assuming they have motorized transport and accounting for the adverse weather as well as unknown road conditions.

Evening draws near and decisions have to be made about Carbondale. Also the the Sheriff's group has not returned and some are concerned about them. The snow has stopped but the night looks to be offering bitter cold.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Torment

Postby Daisuke » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:54 am

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 68 | 38%
JIC: 1d20 = 6 | 1d100 = 31%
-----------------------------------
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Adhesion
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs] (2/4)
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs] (1/2)
    • Lynx Laser Rifle
    • <empty>
Stats
    HP/MDC: 61/61
    SDC: 191/191
    PPE: 13/13
Crusader EBA
Image
[size=85]M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50
  • Arms: 30 each
  • Legs: 50 each
  • Main Body: 95
Weight: 24 lbs.
Modifiers: Fair mobility, -15% to physical skills
Features:
  • All features standard to environmental armor
Book Reference: p.55-56, WB 34

Saving Throw Bonuses
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 24% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +6 (+1)
Magic (varies): +6 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +9 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +14 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +6 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +6 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +10
Psionics (12+): +6
Horror Factor: +9
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +8 (+6)[/size]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.4 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.

"I understand how precious this is and appreciate your generosity," Daisuke begins, thanking whomever has the atlas on-hand. "If I could, might I sit with you and have just five to ten minutes to carefully peruse the atlas? You have my word of honor that I will not do anything. In fact, you can hold the atlas and turn the pages as long as I am permitted to look over your shoulder." Should he be granted permission, Daisuke will go through the atlas, carefully committing the details to memory. ((Heightened Sense of Recall))

"Guardsmen?" Daisuke asks Carver amidst the Carbondale discussion, seeking clarification, "Are they some manner of elite infantry that stand out among the other regulars and warrants a specific designation? Is there something we should be prepared for? Additional training, specialization, or specialty equipment?" It is clear the nomenclature familiar to the Colonel is foreign to the Arismal. Not wanting to assume anything, he hopes for a more detailed assessment.

If/When Carver describes power armor akin to glitter boys, Daisuke will remark, "From what I hear, they have earned the moniker "Glitter Boy" in our time over the years. Though I've never encountered one myself, rumors abound of how a single one can decimate an entire platoon of infantry in short order." If Carver is forthcoming about information regarding the GB, Daisuke will be an inquisitive learner asking specific questions about their deployment. For an upright power armor unit equipped with such a powerful main cannon, there must be some manner of compensation for the mass driver recoil.

Upon hearing that the Sheriff's fuel run did not return, Daisuke will pipe up, "Given how cold it is and the thick blanket of snow, perhaps we should send someone out looking for the missing patrol. Otherwise they may be lost to the elements by morning." The Arismal looks toward their cyberknight leader for deployment directions.
User avatar
Daisuke
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Postby Ashlynn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:24 am

Perception: 79% /84% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 78

JIC: 1d20 = 2
1d100 = 4

Conditions:
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.

If Ashlynn hears about the fuel supply dwindling, she will go and check the fuel tanks of the car-wall vehicles.
Salvage 60% 1d100 = 28 (SUCCESS)

If she finds any, she directs people to help her siphon what there is available into any jerry-cans or other suitable containers.

Man... you gotta use what's on hand! You can't just... Don't they realize they're world is changing?

Once she has found and collected what fuel is available, she will deliver it to the Colonel. "The cars had this - we siphoned it out. If that ain't enough we can go get more from wherever." As she walks away, she stops, turns, and says "Just a... helpful note. Like I said yesterday, this is your new normal. You gotta roll with the punches, and that sometimes means salvaging what you can find. The faster you get used to that idea the better your chances are."

If somehow all the cars are empty of fuel, Ashlynn will volunteer to go on a fuel run, reasoning that she can use her skills at salvage and recycling to improve the haul.

Weiss wrote:"The Collegiate Arcane may have a plan for getting us home. We'll fill you in tomorrow, but if everybody could keep a lookout for a schedule of the next full moon, that would be useful."


"Right on! I'll keep my eyes open."

Weiss wrote:"Is it just the battery packs or the full computers? If it is just the batteries, I might be able to rig up something to bypass the blown batteries and see if we can gain access. Never know, one of them might have the full moon rota."


Ashlynn shrugs. "I found full computers, but I couldn't tell ya why they don't turn on. I can gather 'em if you want."

As the night gets cold, Ashlynn spends some time distributing clean blankets from the hospital laundry to everyone who looks cold. If she is called upon to join the hunt for the Sheriff's lost fuel posse, she will oblige.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 45/45
S.D.C.: 68/68


TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45/45
  • Arms: 40/40 each
  • Legs: 45/45 each
  • Main Body: 100/100
Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, and +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Infrared & thermal masking

N-F20A Medium Force Field (integrated into FreeRunner Exoskeleton)
M.D.C. by Location:
    Force Field: 75
Features:
    10 hour duration per E-clip
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Grant Latham » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100 = 50
JIC: 1d100 = 93, 1d100 = 25, 1d20 = 7

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 94/94
  • P.P.E.: 1968/656
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 9 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 25 PPE| 400.00 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invisibility to Sensors | MA 15 | 20 PPE | 40.00 min
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60.00 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
  • Mystic Invisibility | MA 17 | 25 PPE | 100.00 min
  • Nightvision | MA 9 | 4 PPE | 120.00 min | 3600' in non magical darkness
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 PPE | 20 min | 1200'
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 PPE | 40 min | 270' radius


History: Pre-Rifts 89% vs 1d100 = 1 | Pre-rifts entertainment
Lore: Demons & Monsters (North America) 134% vs 1d100 = 87 | Creatures that appeared at the beginning.
Lore: Faeries & Creatures of Magic 129% vs 1d100 = 45 | Creatures that appeared at the beginning.
Lore: Vampires 99% vs 1d100 = 81 | Creatures that appeared at the beginning.


"Makes sense," Grant says in response to Jack's thoughts on the condition of the roads. The mage rubs his chin considering. "The roads themselves are significant to people, but not so much to monsters that have come through the rifts. They'd be drawn to the noise of vehicles, but if most vehicles are now out of commission, a relatively fast dash might be effective."

He turns towards the local leaders, "You've all seen beings that look like they are out of a vid. For those of you who were with us at St. Louis, you saw the giant monster underneath the arch as well as the areas that are tinted blue. These blue areas are called ley lines. They contain mystical energy used to cast magic." He raises his hand and turns invisible, then moves 3 or 4 paces away, and becomes visible again, "I see those of you politely covering your faces to hide your disbelief. Consider what I just did. It's that energy that allows me to do this. But these blue areas also signify dimensional instability. All across the world, these tears, these rifts in reality are opening to countless worlds in other dimensions. Some are alternate realities of now, but others, are to different planes of existence. What does this mean? Extra-Dimensional beings, D-bees, we call them in the future, are willing and unwilling crossing into this world. Many of those who have crossed are what we would all call monsters. Demons, deevils, alien predators of many kinds. There are also many intelligent beings like us, humans, that will find this planet in the years to come. I've been teaching the principles of magic to those that have aptitude, but I think I need to change focus and discuss the lore that I know about. Like the mythological stories you might remember, these creatures from other dimensions often have a weakness to common mundane materials, most commonly wood or silver. After this planning meeting, we can discuss further."

Grant moves away from the table and grabs a seat.

Later in the discussion: "Glitter Boy's, I mean, these Guardsman power armor units, are still considered top tier in fire power in our time. One shot from their main weapon will turn the average person in body armor to paste. The bigger issue is how loud they are when it's fired. It's so loud that it will cause temporary deafness to those nearby even when wearing substantial ear protection. Hopefully, these mavericks are open to discussion."

When the missing Sheriff is brought to the groups attention, Grant, not wanting to demoralize the group thinks to himself. The chances of the Sheriff being found alive are minimal, the hunting of resources is going to continue to dwindle this population. Out loud, he says, "Do we know where the Sheriff and team were headed? If it's close, then I think we should arrange a team to go look for them, because if there is a threat, it's near by. If we know he was going a significant way, it may be safer to wait."

"It is going to be a factor for all of you when figuring out logistics, to keep sufficient people in reserve to protect the whole, but also sending the largest force possible to go out to secure supplies. Sending out multiple smaller teams, while allowing for a larger search area, is significantly more dangerous. Many of our team," Grant waves to H4H, "Could help you figure out the best composition of people and equipment to send out.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Torment

Postby Keiko » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:34 am

Perception: 1d100 = 84/36%
JIC: 1d20 = 6; 1d100 = 72

Active Effects



Keiko watches Grant's display with interest. He is very good. Using the simple spells to help bring understanding. Huh. Talking about things changing. Still surprised I haven't gotten a harsher welcome. But these people have likely been in shock and it won't wear off for a while I bet.

Keiko keeps to listening to the people how haven been part of the group longer speaking. When the missing people are mentioned her ears perk up. Missing for this long in this kind of weather is not good. We are going to need everyone if we are to get out of this. I'm not sure about the others but I know how to track people, it was my job after all, I should be able to find some humans in the snow.
Keiko clears her throat and places a heartwarming smile on her face, "Excuses me. But I am a very adept tracker. I am sure I can find the Sheriff and had have them back before dinner. I would only need a few people. I'm sure we will need everyone we have to get through everything in front of us. Does anyone remember the last direction he was headed?" Keiko's tone is sweat and innocent, like she is asking for a cup of sugar from a neighbor. "So anyone coming with me?"

If Keiko is given the green light to track down the Sheriff she will gather those how are going with her. She will hopefully leave with 2 or 3 others. "Ok So it sounds like the Sheriff left with a few others to look for working vehicles and alternate fuel sources for the hospital. If we concentrate on those areas we can speed up the search. I'm going to need help with general area familiarization but lets keep out eyes out for obvious human tracks and anything discarded by them. The snow has stopped so it should be easier to locate their tracks." Keiko will leave with the group looking for the Sheriff. She will head in the direction they were last seen heading as she tries to pick up their trail.

Wilderness Survival-- 1d100 = 96/60% (Where would one go when stuck in a snow storm)
Land Navigation-- 1d100 = 30/63% (Locate the last known direction of the Sheriff)
Land Navigation-- 1d100 = 73/63% (Locate a direction or landmark to assist with returning to the hospital)
Tracking: People-- 1d100 = 5/55% (Track the Sheriff and his group)
Tracking: People-- 1d100 = 6/55% (Track the Sheriff and his group)
Tracking: People-- 1d100 = 7/55% (Track the Sheriff and his group)
Tracking: People-- 1d100 = 82/55% (Track the Sheriff and his group)
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86

MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
User avatar
Keiko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Ronith » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:11 am

JIC: 1d20 = 18, 1d100 = 91
PER: 1d100 = 14 vs. 94% (+15% with hearing, +25% to ID friend or foe, strategic assessment, ID strengths and weaknesses of enemy; +10% to ID enemy in disguise, metamorphed, or shape-changed)

Tracking- 4d100:
37, 49, 24, 18
vs. 101%
To look for the Sherriff’s tracks.
Ashlynn wrote:"Sir Ronith? I found some laptop and tablet computers earlier, but they were pretty fried. I dunno if you want 'em. But if you do, I'll go gather 'ema nd load 'em into the APC."
Weiss wrote:"Is it just the battery packs or the full computers? If it is just the batteries, I might be able to rig up something to bypass the blown batteries and see if we can gain access. Never know, one of them might have the full moon rota."
Ronith considers the idea for a moment- but given that the team has a decent idea of how long until the next full moon, the cyber-knight is skeptical that they will find anything on the computers that is worth the trouble. After some consideration, he shakes his head ”No, non-military hardware is of less use in our time, and it is entirely possible that the electronics are irreparable. I doubt it will prove worth the effort to salvage them. However, if you see anything that can record a video message grab it- even if it is damaged. It may come to naught, but I have an idea.”

Jack McDermott wrote:”Sir, How do we know Major Washington is the good guy in this? What if the renegades are the good guys?
Ronith is a little taken aback at the question, but replies ”From what I know of the history, the Neemans fought valiantly to save as many people as they could. If nothing else, our own experience with the good Colonel bears this out. Thus, any Neemans designated as renegades have, at a minimum, abandoned their duty. Furthermore, I sincerely doubt that whatever remains of the Neeman command structure would prioritize the destruction of these renegades without a good reason. We have seen soldiers turn to banditry in our time for far less provocation- I see no good reason to doubt any of the information we have received on this subject. However, as always keep your eyes open for any clues that might indicate that all is not as it appears.”

Daisuke wrote:"Given how cold it is and the thick blanket of snow, perhaps we should send someone out looking for the missing patrol. Otherwise they may be lost to the elements by morning."
Ronith wastes little time mounting a rescue effort. ”Agreed. Who here can track them?” After the appropriate show of hands, Ronith continues ”We split into two groups and do a quick perimeter sweep around the hospital compound to look for their tracks. Barracuda, take Daisuke, Keiko, and Weiss. Jack, Grant, and Ashlynn with me. Radio in if you find their tracks- if not, we shall reconvene on the opposite side of the compound and begin a standard spiral search pattern. Move quickly- the elements are potentially a threat equal to any predators roaming about, and these people are not prepared to deal with either.” Once he has his gear in hand, Ronith wastes little time in heading outside and splitting up, and then sets to work trying to locate the Sherriff’s tracks.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Conditions: Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent);
Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
+11 vs. Magic, 16 vs. HF, 7 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 83/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (3/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Postby Jack McDermott » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:27 am

Perception: 1d100 = 89 vs 45%
JIC: 1d20 = 5 and 1d100 = 36

Ronith wrote:”From what I know of the history, the Neemans fought valiantly to save as many people as they could. If nothing else, our own experience with the good Colonel bears this out. Thus, any Neemans designated as renegades have, at a minimum, abandoned their duty. Furthermore, I sincerely doubt that whatever remains of the Neeman command structure would prioritize the destruction of these renegades without a good reason. We have seen soldiers turn to banditry in our time for far less provocation- I see no good reason to doubt any of the information we have received on this subject. However, as always keep your eyes open for any clues that might indicate that all is not as it appears.”


Jack's shoulders drop, "I apologize sir, Maybe I didn't explain it right. The soldiers on the bridge, they were, compromised. We don't know if the Major is compromised, or maybe these renegades are compromised. I only suggest, we move with caution." Jack's mistrust in man kind and DBee kind is evident in how he explains himself to Ronith. "The things going on here, the people, the creatures. They are not like you."

When Rontih Directs the team to do a perimeter sweep he joins. "Let me circle around by myself. It will be quicker. I can cover more ground." He moves around the outside of the hospital and the surrounding area looking for tracks and signs of people coming and going. A lot more are going to go missing, he thinks to himself as he walks along. Jack watches his surrounding closely, looking for animal tracks and human tracks. He searches as he goes for anything concealed or potentially waiting to ambush the people comin in or out of the hospital. He walks quietly so he does not spook anyone he might find

Skills
Track & Trap Animals 55%/65% vs 1d100 = 14 - Search for animal tracks
Detect Concealment 50% vs 1d100 = 33 - Search for anything concealed
Detect Ambush 55% vs 1d100 = 51 - Search for ambush points
Tracking: People 45% vs 1d100 = 27 - Search for tracks of the Sheriff and his team
Prowl 60% vs 1d100 = 28 - Stay Quiet while moving
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Barracuda » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:53 am

Perception: 1d100 = 32/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 17/1d100 = 3

Ryver wrote:"Live I suppose. If it's like this all over, is there any plan to make? I don't have any family left really. I had some cousin in Texas, but I don't even know where in Texas they lived. I had thought of starting a restaurant, but I'm thinking that's not going to be a thing anymore."

"People still have to eat, right? Maybe you'll be the first new restaurant to pop up from all of this. You'll be famous! Ryver's Rib Shack! Best Ribs this side of the Mississippi!" Barracuda does his best to cheer up the young woman, knowing that she has a hard road ahead of her. The water seems calm, so that's good. She deserves to make it through this. Maybe she'll gain control over those abilities of hers and help make this a better world for everyone. Heh. Time travel is weird.

When the subject of power/fuel comes up, Barracuda mentions his limited control. "I can absorb the energy from car batteries. But I haven't been able to discharge it in a way that doesn't blow things up yet. Probably not much help."

At the mention of a rescue party, Barracuda gathers his assigned crew and gets started on the search. Willing the Wave Strider armor to form around his head, he shuts out as much of the cold as he can while searching for the missing party. "So, Keiko... where'd you learn to track people?" He attempts to hold some conversation with the teammate who up until now had not had much interaction with him. I wonder if it's a world full of cats and cat people are the rulers. Or if they're all cat people. Maybe cats are in charge!
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image

Ledger
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Torment

Postby Grant Latham » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:21 am

(rolls carried)

Conditions

Radio Traffic: light, heavy interference
Magic Use: Magic within 500ft. nexus rules in effect. Supernatural evil is detectable within 500ft and all will sense it within the scope of time.
Nexus Present within 1 mile
Open Rifts within 1 mile


I am going to go with:

Being at/on a ley line OR one mile from a nexus point doubles the range, duration, and damage of magic spells. The Mage can also draw an additional 10 P.P.E. (Double for LLW & LLR) every 15 seconds. Magic spells and effects (damage, range and duration) are doubled. Plus his own P.P.E. recovers at the increased rate of 10 P.P.E. per 1/2 hour, without meditation.

Duration, range, and damage of psychic powers are doubled when within one mile of a nexus point. The protection provided by telekinetic force fields are also doubled (specific powers may have alternate rules).



With Sir Ronith's orders given, Grant gets up and says, "The lecture will have to wait." Finding this guy quickly is imperative. Perhaps we can divine his current status and location magically or psychically.

Assuming that Grant has met the Sheriff, he looks over at the Colonel Carver and asks, "Do any of you have a picture of the Sheriff? With it I might be able to get an idea of his current condition."

With the picture Grant casts Second Sight (20 P.P.E. | BOM 118 | 100 miles | 30 seconds | Can not be detected. See target or send present activity. Can't be falsified. Mind Block will prevent.

If he hasn't met the Sheriff and/or there is no picture, he says "Did the Sheriff leave any of his personal effects here at the hospital, I might be able to use that to divine his current condition."

With the personal item, Grant finds a quiet spot and attempts to Object Read (10 I.S.P. | RUE p174 | 2d6 = 6 min of effort | The Present 70% vs 1d100 = 80)

The mage once he's completed his tasks, shares his success or failure so they can decide if these should go as one or two teams.

Grant waits for the team to gather what gear they plan to take with them and then joins them at the exit. "Before, we leave, let me apply so protective magic. I'll cast some flight magic so you are hindered by the snow, and then a protective field. I can cast an invisible spell that will probably last about 20 minutes, or a more comprehensive spell that will last about 60 minutes, but you will have a glow." He asks each person, "What would you prefer?" Based on their answer, he casts the appropriate combination.

For his own part, he casts Infrared Vision, Night Vision, See the Invisible, and Invincible Armor, trusting his ability to be invisible to keep him hidden if necessary.

For the team:

Code: Select all
[*] Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
[*] Armor of Ithan | BOM 96 | 20 min | 100 M.D.C. | Invisible, 1/2 dmg from magic fire, cold, and lightning.
[*] Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60 min  | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Torment

Postby Daisuke » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:06 pm

((rolls carried over))

Sir Ronith wrote:”We split into two groups and do a quick perimeter sweep around the hospital compound to look for their tracks. Barracuda, take Daisuke, Keiko, and Weiss. Jack, Grant, and Ashlynn with me. Radio in if you find their tracks- if not, we shall reconvene on the opposite side of the compound and begin a standard spiral search pattern. Move quickly- the elements are potentially a threat equal to any predators roaming about, and these people are not prepared to deal with either.”

"Sir." Daisuke confirms and quickly falls in with Barracuda. Turning toward Weiss, the Arismal taps the Crusader EBA chestpiece with a closed fist, "Since we are going to be on foot out there, and you won't have the added protection of your 'bot, did you want to don your heavier suit? I'll switch back to my T-43 Explorer." If we get into a firefight out there, I don't want my teammate to fall because he was overly generous to me earlier. Should Weiss agree (Daisuke will fervently insist), he will change out of the Crusader EBA, return it to Weiss and switch to his T-43 Explorer.

On his way out, he is glad to be generously offered magical aid by their resident mage.
Grant Latham wrote:"Before, we leave, let me apply so protective magic. I'll cast some flight magic so you are hindered by the snow, and then a protective field. I can cast an invisible spell that will probably last about 20 minutes, or a more comprehensive spell that will last about 60 minutes, but you will have a glow." He asks each person, "What would you prefer?" Based on their answer, he casts the appropriate combination.

"Magical flight and the comprehensive magical armor please. I imagine we would actually want to be highly visible on this rescue mission. It would hardly do for us to be slinking around and accidentally pass each other because both parties are trying to remain hidden. If there is some manner of nefarious enemy about, we would also likewise want their attention on us, rather than the Sheriff's patrol. As we would be better suited to absorb enemy attack... especially with such magnificent magical protection. Thank you." Daisuke expresses his gratitude openly.

Once out on the patrol, Daisuke will do his part to try to locate the trail. Similar to Jack, he will also try to keep an eye out for concealed things and locations of likely ambush.

Skill rolls:
Tracking. 3d100:
20, 67, 91
| 66% <== Search for tracks of the Sheriff and patrol.
Detect Concealment. 3d100:
26, 37, 53
| 66% <== Search for concealed things.
Detect Ambush. 3d100:
66, 27, 100
| 71% <== Keep an eye out for ambush locations (spots the Sheriff patrol could have been waylaid).
Wilderness Survival. 3d100:
13, 100, 73
| 76% <== Evaluate where the Sheriff patrol may have tried to seek shelter from the storm or otherwise meet their basic survival needs.
User avatar
Daisuke
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Postby Weiss » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:13 pm

Perception 56% 1d100 = 2
JIC 1d100 = 9 1d20 = 6

Conditions:
Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
[*] Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
[*] Armor of Ithan | BOM 96 | 20 min | 100 M.D.C. | Invisible, 1/2 dmg from magic fire, cold, and lightning.
[*] Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy


Virtus wrote:Ronith also asks Weiss about the next full moon. In the hospital is a traditional calendar with the moon phases annotated. It looks like the next full moon is 23 days.


Weiss plucks it down and brings it along to the meeting with him.

Virtus wrote:Ronith asks more about the renegades near Carbondale. Carver replies "Several dozen with a couple of Guardsmen.


Daisuke wrote:If/When Carver describes power armor akin to glitter boys, Daisuke will remark, "From what I hear, they have earned the moniker "Glitter Boy" in our time over the years. Though I've never encountered one myself, rumors abound of how a single one can decimate an entire platoon of infantry in short order."


Fanatic Robophile 91% 1d100 = 84
Somebody foolishly has asked about Glitter Boys, which Weiss provides with glee.

"Guardsmen are a pain, but not unexpected. Glitter Boys can do a lot of damage if you go at them head on. Can take more punishment than the Beauty and dish a lot more with the Boom Gun. However, this is of course presuming the models I've encountered are similar in nature, they tend not to have a lot in the way of secondary weapons. Any pilot worth their salt will procure backup weapons, but only the Boom Gun is built in assuming no variants. There are a couple of weak points that can be exploited but that will require some tactics, hence why I say don't hit them head on. You either attack the gun or you attack the stabilisation system. A Boom gun won't fire without the system engaged. Its a safety feature designed to prevent the Glitter Boy launching itself at high velocity in the other direction."


Virtus wrote:Aside from locating a lunar calendar, Weiss also calculates time to Carbondale. Being conservative he guesses at 8 to 10 hours assuming they have motorized transport and accounting for the adverse weather as well as unknown road conditions.


"Looks like we'll be here for a while yet, but as we're relatively close, maybe some reconoitering might be in order so we know what we are walking into."
Weiss thinks back to just before their trip here began, with him analysing a helmet, which they still had in the APC.

"In fact, there might be a NEMA presence there already judging by what we found before."

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn shrugs. "I found full computers, but I couldn't tell ya why they don't turn on. I can gather 'em if you want."


"Yeah, worth a look. Might not provide much intel but you never know."/b]

Ronith wrote: ”No, non-military hardware is of less use in our time, and it is entirely possible that the electronics are irreparable. I doubt it will prove worth the effort to salvage them. However, if you see anything that can record a video message grab it- even if it is damaged. It may come to naught, but I have an idea.”


Weiss shrugs his shoulders; [b]"there should be something that can do that. Depends on the damage."
Weiss then sighs and brings up his other worry.

"Ronith, I worry that they are still too close to St Louis. You and I both know that Rift has never closed and some of the stuff that has been spit out of there will overrun this place. They don't have the firepower to repel an assault of a decent magnitude. I wonder if those renegades could be convinced to join, though perhaps the people here need to move. I wonder if the NEMA helmet we found before is because we got this group to go there. We know a settlement survived there for a while."

Weiss then clicks his fingers as he realises something. "To add to that, perhaps there might be more identifying marks on the helmet that might be able to identify if it belongs to somebody already here. It's still in the APC. Oddly enough, its not taken any priority, but perhaps we need to take another crack at it."

As Spanky and his SAMAS return, Weiss makes them an offer.

"Spanky, I don't know if your squad has an operator or not. If you don't, bring your people over to me and I'll see what I can do about servicing them."

As the situation with the missing Sheriff unfolds

Ronith wrote:Barracuda, take Daisuke, Keiko, and Weiss.


"I'll boot up the Beauty. She has infrared searchlights and a sealed compartment if we need to get people out of the cold."
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Torment

Postby Keiko » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:07 pm

**Rolls Held Over**

Active Effects
  • Dimensional Attenuation: 110 Miles
  • Excellent hearing and smell
  • Sixth Sense
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy



Barracuda wrote:
At the mention of a rescue party, Barracuda gathers his assigned crew and gets started on the search. Willing the Wave Strider armor to form around his head, he shuts out as much of the cold as he can while searching for the missing party. "So, Keiko... where'd you learn to track people?" He attempts to hold some conversation with the teammate who up until now had not had much interaction with him. I wonder if it's a world full of cats and cat people are the rulers. Or if they're all cat people. Maybe cats are in charge!


Keiko flashes Barracuda a smile, "Hey handsome. My late husband taught me to track. Always someone needed something from him. So many people get lost too easily. I just served as a guiding hand to give them a direction. Finding people became second nature to me. It was always harder when they would jump dimensions but that did make the chase more fun." Keiko winks at Barracuda as she cocks her head slightly. Lets not give too much away. Something tells me they would not agree with the reasons I was finding people. "What about you. You ability to control water is quite fascinating. Is it limited to bodies of water or could you control the snow if you wished?"

Grant Latham wrote:
Grant waits for the team to gather what gear they plan to take with them and then joins them at the exit. "Before, we leave, let me apply so protective magic. I'll cast some flight magic so you are hindered by the snow, and then a protective field. I can cast an invisible spell that will probably last about 20 minutes, or a more comprehensive spell that will last about 60 minutes, but you will have a glow." He asks each person, "What would you prefer?" Based on their answer, he casts the appropriate combination.

For his own part, he casts Infrared Vision, Night Vision, See the Invisible, and Invincible Armor, trusting his ability to be invisible to keep him hidden if necessary.

For the team:

Code: Select all
[*] Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
[*] Armor of Ithan | BOM 96 | 20 min | 100 M.D.C. | Invisible, 1/2 dmg from magic fire, cold, and lightning.
[*] Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60 min  | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy


Keiko will wait for the others to receive the magic from Grant before she does. "Thanks Grant. I wish I had the ability to learn the invincible armor spell. It's a little out of my range to learn. Maybe when we return to our time I can get it added to my armor from a Techno-Wizard." Keiko takes the Fly as Eagle and Invincible armor.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86

MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
User avatar
Keiko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Barracuda » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:53 pm

((Rolls carried over))

When Grant offers magical flight and protection, Barracuda takes him up on Fly as an Eagle and Invincible Armor.

Keiko wrote:
Barracuda wrote:
At the mention of a rescue party, Barracuda gathers his assigned crew and gets started on the search. Willing the Wave Strider armor to form around his head, he shuts out as much of the cold as he can while searching for the missing party. "So, Keiko... where'd you learn to track people?" He attempts to hold some conversation with the teammate who up until now had not had much interaction with him. I wonder if it's a world full of cats and cat people are the rulers. Or if they're all cat people. Maybe cats are in charge!


Keiko flashes Barracuda a smile, "Hey handsome. My late husband taught me to track. Always someone needed something from him. So many people get lost too easily. I just served as a guiding hand to give them a direction. Finding people became second nature to me. It was always harder when they would jump dimensions but that did make the chase more fun." Keiko winks at Barracuda as she cocks her head slightly. Lets not give too much away. Something tells me they would not agree with the reasons I was finding people. "What about you. You ability to control water is quite fascinating. Is it limited to bodies of water or could you control the snow if you wished?"


Whoa, is this cat lady flirting with... whoa. She's kinda hot! "Huh. That's pretty cool! Oh! I don't control the water. That's the girl back there. I don't think she knows that she's doing it though. I'm at home in the water just like I am on land. Breathing, swimming, the whole thing. I also seem to have some affinity to Electricity or energy in general. That's why they call me Barracuda... because The Electric Eel sounds really cheesy."

As they fly in search of the sheriff, Barracuda lights himself up as bright as is comfortable to the eyes of those around him. "A little light to guide our way?"
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image

Ledger
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Torment

Postby Virtus » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Conditions
Time: Day 4, 07:00pm
Temperature: 12F
Visibility: 50ft (heavy fog)
Wind: 10mph out of the Northwest
Snow: 24"
Radio Traffic: light, heavy interference
Magic Use: Magic within 500ft. nexus rules in effect. Supernatural evil is detectable within 500ft and all will sense it within the scope of time.
Nexus Present within 1 mile
Open Rifts within 1 mile


The dim gray afternoon is swallowed by a black night while blue ley lines dance across the landscape. Carver looks out at the western horizon where St Louis is. Flashes occasionally illuminate the clouds overhead. To the east the darkness is unbroken save for the ley lines and lights coming from the hospital, and a few distant lights, likely from homes fortunately enough to have generators. Lookouts at the wall of cars report no movement on the roads.

Daisuke suggests finding the missing scavenging crew.

Ash looks for cars to siphon fuel from. Of course most of the dead vehicles are electric. All the closest vehicles that actually used fuel but were inoperable, had already been tapped. However, she does collect a bit of used motor oil that can be mixed with diesel or burned for heat.

Grant changes tactics and begins to share lore. To this, everyone pays attention. Many of the soldiers take extensive notes and pump Grant for additional information. While there are a few scoffers, like before, all those who came from St. Louis do not laugh.

Barracuda does his best to cheer Ryver up. "Maybe, but I'm not sure I'll ever see that day." Her mood isn't born out of self pity, but an acceptance of the current state of things perhaps.

Ronith listens to Jacks concerns, but files it away for the meantime, focusing on the more immediate concerns.

Grant also asks about where the sheriff and crew were heading. They mention he and his crew were going out to try and get some diesel pumps working to gather fuel for the hospital. Having met Sheriff Connors the first day, he knows him well enough to use some of the vast magic energy at his disposal to help their cause. Using second sight, he looks through the eyes of the Sheriff and sees a school gymnasium, from within which issues shifting light through the windows and a door that swings in the frigid wind. Grant isn't sure what's causing the light, but likely nothing good.

Jack spots the tracks from the scavenging crew's vehicles traveling down the road outside the hospital. Keiko also sees the tracks. They aren't hard to follow and lead down the road about a mile to a cluster of fuel stations. It looks like they have been from station to station and soon spot their vehicles. Examining the scene, they spot blood and what appears to be drag marks, following by the foot prints of the Sheriff and crew. Jack also sees long clawed foot prints that look similar to a dog's, but larger with longer claws.

Weiss engages Ronith. The proximity to St Louis doesn't raise questions, but rather certainties. The question of the helmet also piques his interest. Gallows Twelve is happy to have Weiss service their equipment. "This air is taking it's toll on my engines. Spanky says. "I can almost stand on some of these clouds. I think there's ash in this snow as well and lots of it."

Grant casts various spells on the group as they follow the tracks of the Sheriff's group from the gas station where their vehicles are still sitting. They sees the tracks going up a small hill, atop which sits a school and they too see odd lights spilling out from the school perched there. They see the Sheriff and crew from their vantage point. They also see a whole ontop of the gym as if something had crashed through it. Lights also come from the hole. Those with keen sight can see that the bloody streak continue into the gymnasium door that still stands open. The Sheriff and crew look poised to enter the building, guns drawn.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Torment

Postby Grant Latham » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:03 pm

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100 = 25
JIC: 1d20 = 4, 1d100 = 80

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 94/94
  • P.P.E.: 1968/656
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 9 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 25 PPE| 400.00 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Infrad Vision | MA 9 | 2 PPE | 100 min | 2000' |See through 4" S.D.C. .5" light M.D.C. material. 1" dirt. 1' water or heavy M.D.C.
  • Invisibility to Sensors | MA 15 | 20 PPE | 40.00 min
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60.00 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
  • Mystic Invisibility | MA 17 | 25 PPE | 100.00 min
  • Nightvision | MA 9 | 4 PPE | 120.00 min | 3600' in non magical darkness
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 PPE | 20 min | 1200'
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 PPE | 40 min | 270' radius


Prior to leaving

Grant's eyes refocus on his current surroundings after having cast Second Sight. "The Sherriff is still alive, he's looking at a large building. Lights are moving back and forth." The mage provides other mundane details about the building (not sure Grant would know what a gymnasium looks like). He looks around the room and asks, "Does anyone recognize the place?"

As they trudge up the hill, he says, "That's the building I could see in my casting earlier."

Good. They haven't just rushed inside yet, Grant thinks as he sees the Sheriff and the others near the entrance. What's that red streak...crap, blood.

Lore: Demons & Monsters 134% vs 1d100 = 96 | Identify any creature inside
Lore: D-Bees 129% vs 1d100 = 94 | Identify any creature inside
Lore: Faeries & Creatures of Magic 129% vs 1d100 = 24 | Identify any creature inside

When they reach the Sherriff, Grant says to Sir Ronith and Barracuda, "I'll fly up invisibly to the upper windows and see what is inside there." He casts a quick cleanse spell to reduce his scent. With both his Mystic Invisibility and Invisibity to Sensors spells active already, he uses his innate ability to turn invisible (simple) and flies over to the gymnasium and looks inside. He activates his own telepathy to reach out back to Sir Ronith to share what he discovers inside.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Torment

Postby Ronith » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:37 pm

JIC: 1d20 = 15, 1d100 = 84
PER: 1d100 = 27 vs. 94% (+15% with hearing, +25% to ID friend or foe, strategic assessment, ID strengths and weaknesses of enemy; +10% to ID enemy in disguise, metamorphed, or shape-changed)
Conditions
[*] Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
[*] Armor of Ithan | BOM 96 | 20 min | 100 M.D.C. | Invisible, 1/2 dmg from magic fire, cold, and lightning.
[*]Shadow Meld | BOM 103 |
Prowl- 1d100 = 73 vs. 111% (after EBA penalty and shadow meld bonus)

Jack McDermott wrote:"I apologize sir, Maybe I didn't explain it right. The soldiers on the bridge, they were, compromised. We don't know if the Major is compromised, or maybe these renegades are compromised. I only suggest, we move with caution."
”That is quite alright, Jack.” Ronith says patronizingly. ”But it could just as easily be these renegades that are under some undue influence. We will not be able to function in this time if we worry so about everyone we meet- but regardless, your advice is good. We must proceed with caution in any event, and be prepared to adapt as the situation dictates.” It seems odd that he is so fixated on a repeat performance of the bridge, but I suppose he is not wrong.
Grant Latham wrote:"Before, we leave, let me apply so protective magic. I'll cast some flight magic so you are hindered by the snow, and then a protective field. I can cast an invisible spell that will probably last about 20 minutes, or a more comprehensive spell that will last about 60 minutes, but you will have a glow."
”The stealthier version shall be fine for me, thank you Grant.”

Weiss wrote:"To add to that, perhaps there might be more identifying marks on the helmet that might be able to identify if it belongs to somebody already here. It's still in the APC. Oddly enough, its not taken any priority, but perhaps we need to take another crack at it."
Ronith nods. ”You are correct- they cannot stay here indefinitely. Once we are on the road, I shall urge the Colonel to move everyone in the direction of Chicago. As for the helmet- that is not a bad idea. We should take it to the Colonel after things have settled down and see if he can identify it- a serial number, perhaps.”

Grant Latham wrote:"I'll fly up invisibly to the upper windows and see what is inside there."
”Not alone, you will not. I shall accompany you. The rest of you, be prepared to make a rapid ingress to the school. We do not know why the Sherriff is here- it may be that he seeks to rescue people inside, it may be he has fallen under some sort of influence like those on the bridge.” Ronith activates the shadow meld on his cloak, takes to the air (while remaining low to the ground), and follows Grant towards the school- taking pains to stick to the shadows where he can, and to remain silent and undetected. While Grant heads towards the upper level, Ronith sneaks towards the entrance through which the Sherriff and his men went into the building. This makes no sense. Surely if they had a good reason for being here they would at least radio in for backup. What are they doing? Exercising maximum caution, Ronith will hold back and remain still and silent unless he sees someone in danger.

If, by the time Ronith arrives the Sherrif has still not moved inside, Ronith will silently glide up, deliberately set down on the snow to make a noise, then whisper "Sherriff? What seems to be the trouble here?"
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Conditions: Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent);
Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
+11 vs. Magic, 16 vs. HF, 7 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 83/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (3/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Postby Ashlynn » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:52 am

Perception: 79% /84% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 13

JIC: 1d20 = 15
1d100 = 75

Conditions:
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Armor of Ithan | BOM 96 | 20 min | 100 M.D.C. | Invisible, 1/2 dmg from magic fire, cold, and lightning.
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy

Ashlynn waits as the others discuss finding the Sheriff, and when Ronith assigns her to his team, she grins. "Ready to roll, boss!" She stands more or less patiently (bouncing slightly on the balls of her feet) as Grant supplements her ability with more magic, then beams "Thanks, Grant!" at him.

As they head toward the Sheriff's location, Ashlynn speaks up. "We need to be on our toes guys. I saw some shadows in the buildings earlier... couldn't tell what they were or if they were friendly or angry shadows, 'cause shadows can be all mysterious an' crap, but they did tell me that these buildings ain't as empty as they look."

After a moment, she says "If we encounter any friendly-type shadows... can I bring one home?"

When they see the hill, and the streak of blood, Ashlynn fingers the clip on her vibro-sword, almost unconsciously. I don't think these are gonna be friendly-type shadows. Prolly more like fiendly-type shadows.

Ashlynn will follow Ronith silently as he approaches the Sheriff.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 45/45
S.D.C.: 68/68


TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45/45
  • Arms: 40/40 each
  • Legs: 45/45 each
  • Main Body: 100/100
Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, and +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Infrared & thermal masking

N-F20A Medium Force Field (integrated into FreeRunner Exoskeleton)
M.D.C. by Location:
    Force Field: 75
Features:
    10 hour duration per E-clip
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Jack McDermott » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:50 am

Perception: 1d100 = 63 vs 45%
JIC: 1d20 = 7 and 1d100 = 14

Ashlynn wrote:As they head toward the Sheriff's location, Ashlynn speaks up. "We need to be on our toes guys. I saw some shadows in the buildings earlier... couldn't tell what they were or if they were friendly or angry shadows, 'cause shadows can be all mysterious an' crap, but they did tell me that these buildings ain't as empty as they look."

After a moment, she says "If we encounter any friendly-type shadows... can I bring one home?"


Jack looks at Ashlyn, smiles and says, "I have never met a friendly shadow other than my own. Have you?"

Jack makes his way to the school slightly unsettled by the claw marks in the tracks, Finding the team near the sheriff, he makes sure to remark, "There is a pretty large creature in there. Canine of sorts. The tracks were pretty clear."

Ronith wrote:”Not alone, you will not. I shall accompany you. The rest of you, be prepared to make a rapid ingress to the school. We do not know why the Sherriff is here- it may be that he seeks to rescue people inside, it may be he has fallen under some sort of influence like those on the bridge.”


Can't ignore that fact boss, he thinks to himself then looks around at the team. These are probably the only ones we can really trust. "Yes sir!"

Jack makes his way to the school slightly unsettled by the claw marks in the tracks, Finding the team near the sheriff, he makes sure to remark, "There is a pretty large creature in there. Canine of sorts. The tracks were pretty clear."

He looks around at the Sherrifs men wondering, Do they think they can rescue the victim? All that blood, the tracks. He is likely gone. Holding his pessimistic view of the situation to himself he readies his bow. Regardless, it has to die. The thought is casual and cold. There is no consideration of what "it" might be or why it attacked the survivor. Jack falls quickly back to survival mode instincts, Kill it, before it, kills you.

"I doubt it will come out. If we go in, we risk someone getting hurt. Should we just down the building and force it's hand?" Jack's callous comment is fueled by the fact that so far the death toll has been heavy and the team hasn't been able to stop it, or even slow it down. They need to learn, and quickly. If they are gong to have a chance at survival.

Jack address the sheriff directly, "Don't do anything stupid. Ronith and Grant are checking it out."
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Keiko » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 19/36%
JIC: 1d20 = 3;1d100 = 83

Active Effects
  • Dimensional Attenuation: 110 Miles
  • Excellent hearing and smell
  • Sixth Sense
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy



Keiko frowns at how easy it is to pick up the Sheriff's trail. Awe it's no fun when they make it this easy to track them. And here I was looking for a little challenge. Oh well. Next time I guess. Oh those clawed tracks don't look good. Werebeast of some kind most likely.

As they close in to the Sheriff's location Keiko will drop down with everyone else and approach the sheriff's group on foot. Something tells me they would shoot me if they saw us flying. Hehehe. A flying cat...Might not be the weirdest thing they've seen. But might still get me shot. Keiko keeps her weapons holstered as she approaches with the rest of H4H.
"Sheriff. Glad we found you. We're here to back you up. What's going on?"

Jack McDermott wrote:
"I doubt it will come out. If we go in, we risk someone getting hurt. Should we just down the building and force it's hand?" Jack's callous comment is fueled by the fact that so far the death toll has been heavy and the team hasn't been able to stop it, or even slow it down. They need to learn, and quickly. If they are gong to have a chance at survival.


Keiko nods to Jack a slight smile on her face, Oh what a wonderful idea. Keeps everyone here out of danger for the most part and keeps us from having to search a building. Jack you ruthless dog. I'm so proud of you., "That would be the most practical way to deal with the situation. It looks like a fairly soft structure. It shouldn't take much to bring it down." Keiko turns back to the Sheriff, "Was that what you guys were doing? Hunting this beast?"
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86

MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
User avatar
Keiko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Barracuda » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:15 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 17/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 11/1d100 = 47

Earlier:
Barracuda pats Ryver on the back and says "Nothing's certain, but y'know...we've got to do what we can because giving up is never an option. You'll be alright. I'm gonna go check in with my crew. Catch ya later." Damn, I guess this really is the end times. I can't blame her for being this depressed. I guess I just don't think that way. When I lost my parents, I spent all my energy looking for my truth, who I was. I don't know if that would resonate with her. She seems to know who she is. How to help Ryver...

Later:
Barracuda nods to Grant and Ronith as they both float off to the Sheriff's location. Barracuda turns the self-glow down and hangs back with the rest of the group. "We'll hold position. Two minutes and we come in. Two clicks on the radio and we'll rush in."

Barracuda keeps the rest of the group ready for action pending a signal from those approaching the Sheriff.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image

Ledger
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Torment

Postby Daisuke » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:27 pm

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 18 | 48%
JIC: 1d20 = 1 | 1d100 = 50%
-----------------------------------
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Adhesion
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs] (2/4)
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs] (1/2)
    • Lynx Laser Rifle
    • <empty>
Stats
    HP/MDC: 51/51
    SDC: 191/191
    PPE: 13/13
Crusader EBA
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50
  • Arms: 30 each
  • Legs: 50 each
  • Main Body: 95
Weight: 24 lbs.
Modifiers: Fair mobility, -15% to physical skills
Features:
  • All features standard to environmental armor
Book Reference: p.55-56, WB 34[/size]
Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 24% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +6 (+1)
Magic (varies): +6 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +9 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +14 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +6 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +6 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +10
Psionics (12+): +6
Horror Factor: +9
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +8 (+6)[/size]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy

Grant Latham wrote:Grant's eyes refocus on his current surroundings after having cast Second Sight. "The Sherriff is still alive, he's looking at a large building. Lights are moving back and forth." The mage provides other mundane details about the building (not sure Grant would know what a gymnasium looks like). He looks around the room and asks, "Does anyone recognize the place?"

Daisuke squints his eyes behind his faceplate as he thinks, but then joins the others in shaking his head slowly. "Are you only able to receive visions? Can you send messages? Perhaps let them know that help is on the way?" the Arismal asks naievely. His question eventually made moot as they locate the Sheriff and his crew.

Detect Ambush. 1d100 = 20 | 71% <== Keep a keen eye out for ambush.
Detect Concealment. 1d100 = 54 | 66% <== Look for signs of hidden things (especially a disguised lair for whatever clawed beast left the bloody trail)

On foot/magical flight and fully protected from the elements thanks to a combination of technology and magic, Daisuke maintains a keen sense of alertness when Jack and Keiko pick up the Sheriff's trail. It certainly is a boon to have this magical flight... We don't need to get bogged down in the heavy snow and simultaneously we leave little trail of our own. Talent abounds within Heroes for Hire.

Upon spotting the school, gymnasium and Sheriff's crew poised to enter, Daisuke holds fast when ordered by Sir Ronith.

Sir Ronith wrote:"The rest of you, be prepared to make a rapid ingress to the school. We do not know why the Sherriff is here- it may be that he seeks to rescue people inside, it may be he has fallen under some sort of influence like those on the bridge.”

"Confirmed. Visibility is good, so should reinforcement be needed, we can deploy quickly. I can open a portal to the school exterior and then a second to get inside if required."

Ashlynn wrote:As they head toward the Sheriff's location, Ashlynn speaks up. "We need to be on our toes guys. I saw some shadows in the buildings earlier... couldn't tell what they were or if they were friendly or angry shadows, 'cause shadows can be all mysterious an' crap, but they did tell me that these buildings ain't as empty as they look."

After a moment, she says "If we encounter any friendly-type shadows... can I bring one home?"

"Did any of the shadows appear armed? Either technologically with some manner of gun or innately like 3-foot long claws or some-such?" Daisuke asks, uncertain if the glimpse Ashlynn stole can sufficiently answer him.
Jack McDermott wrote:"There is a pretty large creature in there. Canine of sorts. The tracks were pretty clear."

"How large would you say? Size of a wolf? Size of a person? Size of a hovercycle? Size of a heavy lifter?" Tactics may vary for engaging enemies of different sizes.
Jack McDermott wrote:"I doubt it will come out. If we go in, we risk someone getting hurt. Should we just down the building and force it's hand?"

Keiko wrote:"That would be the most practical way to deal with the situation. It looks like a fairly soft structure. It shouldn't take much to bring it down."

You know they are right... Collapse the building, destroy the monster and be done with it. No need for additional casualties. the dark whisper of Kondo's voice chides in Daisuke's mind. Hardly the noble thing to do... Daisuke begins to think before he vocalizes his principled counter to Jack and Keiko's Machievellian suggestion.

"I may be mistaken, but I believe we are bound to act in accordance to Sir Ronith's cyberknight code. We bear the hardships to aid the defenseless." Daisuke's eyes narrow slightly behind his faceplate. "Besides, give what we know about the flavors of evil found in the future, can't we say with a fair amount of confidence that collapsing a building atop them is hardly a guaranteed means of defeating a potentially supernatural foe? I say we follow Sir Ronith's lead and orders. He is going to breach, confront whatever is inside and we remain at the ready to support."

Daisuke stands at the ready at the prescribed distance. And if/when a signal is given, will aid ingress into the school/gymnasium using his portal ability.
User avatar
Daisuke
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Postby Keiko » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:55 pm

**Rolls Held Over**

Active Effects
  • Dimensional Attenuation: 110 Miles
  • Excellent hearing and smell
  • Sixth Sense
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy



Daisuke wrote:"I may be mistaken, but I believe we are bound to act in accordance to Sir Ronith's cyberknight code. We bear the hardships to aid the defenseless." Daisuke's eyes narrow slightly behind his faceplate. "Besides, give what we know about the flavors of evil found in the future, can't we say with a fair amount of confidence that collapsing a building atop them is hardly a guaranteed means of defeating a potentially supernatural foe? I say we follow Sir Ronith's lead and orders. He is going to breach, confront whatever is inside and we remain at the ready to support."


Keiko tilts her head slightly as she considers what Daisuke has said. Interesting. I've head of Cyberknights but never met one before. So Ronith follows a code. Not the worst thing but It does mean he will be tolerant as long as I keep with in the bounds of his code. Just have to figure out what that is. Keiko flashes a sweet smile to Daisuke, "Sorry, I haven't dealt with may Cyberknights, so I'm less familiar with his code then I should be. Could you give me the cliff notes? Also I don't think Jack's suggestion was to kill the creature in the building by collapsing it. I think he was suggesting it as a way to get the creature into the open and take away its ability to ambush us. If a creature either retreated here or took someone here that indicates it has familiarity with this place. Any actions we take inside will be on its turf where it has the advantage. By removing the building we remove its advantage and give ourselves the element of surprise." Keiko's pleasant smile never fades but her eyes light up as she describes the hunting methods.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86

MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
User avatar
Keiko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Daisuke » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:13 am

Rolls carried wrote:-----------------------------------
Perception: Original post: 1d100 = 18 | 48%
JIC: Original post: 1d20 = 1 | Original post: 1d100 = 50%
-----------------------------------
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Adhesion
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs] (2/4)
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs] (1/2)
    • Lynx Laser Rifle
    • <empty>
Stats
    HP/MDC: 51/51
    SDC: 191/191
    PPE: 13/13
Crusader EBA
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50
  • Arms: 30 each
  • Legs: 50 each
  • Main Body: 95
Weight: 24 lbs.
Modifiers: Fair mobility, -15% to physical skills
Features:
  • All features standard to environmental armor
Book Reference: p.55-56, WB 34[/size]
Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 24% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +6 (+1)
Magic (varies): +6 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +9 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +14 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +6 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +6 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +10
Psionics (12+): +6
Horror Factor: +9
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +8 (+6)[/size]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy

Keiko wrote:"Sorry, I haven't dealt with may Cyberknights, so I'm less familiar with his code then I should be. Could you give me the cliff notes? Also I don't think Jack's suggestion was to kill the creature in the building by collapsing it. I think he was suggesting it as a way to get the creature into the open and take away its ability to ambush us. If a creature either retreated here or took someone here that indicates it has familiarity with this place. Any actions we take inside will be on its turf where it has the advantage. By removing the building we remove its advantage and give ourselves the element of surprise."

Interrogation. 1d100 = 23 | 86% <== To notice the details of Keiko's behavior and non-verbal cues and distinguish the level of sincerity of her words.

I like this one... She thirsts for the hunt. It is as clear as day that she is trying to understand the constraints within which she needs to work. But oh boy, you better believe she is going to push the boundaries of those limits... Daisuke squirms inwardly as he is forced to acknowledge that Kondo's intrusion in his thought process may signify its strength within his psyche.

We cannot stereotype. Just because she is of the feline persuasion does not mean it is in her nature to be pursuit-driven. Perhaps there is an underlying nobility in her inquiry. Daisuke counters meekly.

*scoff* You may refuse to acknowledge me at times, but please do us a favor and don't start lying to yourself. It demeans us both... Anyway, you're up. Lady asked you a question.

"Can't say I am a scholar on the topic of cyberknights myself. All I know is what I have heard during deployment downtime. Gossip among bored mercenaries. But based on that, cyberknights are legend for being champions of good. Noble and valiant crusaders. They fight evil in all its forms. Stand up for the weak, downtrodden and helpless regardless of who they are. They will endure personal hazard to alleviate the suffering of others. And they value life. Are not willing to give up hope on saving lives whenever possible." The Arismal cocks his head slightly at his own description of the cyberknight creed. Is all this true or am I inadvertently combining it with father's lessons of morality? "Again, I can't say for sure. But if innocents are still alive down there, I don't think we are to risk harm to them. In fact, since we are better able to endure it, I believe his code calls on us to rise to the occasion, put ourselves at risk so that there is the chance that others may live."

I don't know about that last bit. I agree with Keiko. Those captured down there may already be dead. Seems like an unnecessary risk. What's the harm in letting the scout and feline act on their instincts? We could damage our relations with the survivor community if our actions resulted in deaths. Would we though? Some manner of beast already has them in its clutches. Wouldn't the community just chalk it up to more bad luck in this crazy world? Perhaps. But father did teach US better. If we are not to be the models of morality that we want to see, then selfishness would prevail. And that is problematic? Yes. Okay then... let's see it play out by your choices. Just remember, I agreed with the cat-lady. Yes... that much is clear.
User avatar
Daisuke
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Postby Weiss » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:03 pm

Perception 56% 1d100 = 32
JIC 1d100 = 65 1d20 = 14

Virtus wrote:Weiss engages Ronith. The proximity to St Louis doesn't raise questions, but rather certainties. The question of the helmet also piques his interest.
Ronith wrote:Ronith nods. ”You are correct- they cannot stay here indefinitely. Once we are on the road, I shall urge the Colonel to move everyone in the direction of Chicago. As for the helmet- that is not a bad idea. We should take it to the Colonel after things have settled down and see if he can identify it- a serial number, perhaps.”


Weiss chuckles gently at that notion.
"We are in the middle of the Cataclysm. What makes you think anything is going to settle down for a while?"

Virtus wrote:Gallows Twelve is happy to have Weiss service their equipment. "This air is taking it's toll on my engines. Spanky says. "I can almost stand on some of these clouds. I think there's ash in this snow as well and lots of it."


"We'll start with basic servicing, but unless you brought a load of supplies with you, best we try to find some spare parts. Hopefully, the original parts used here with be compatible with your newer SAMAS."

Virtus wrote:They sees the tracks going up a small hill, atop which sits a school and they too see odd lights spilling out from the school perched there. They see the Sheriff and crew from their vantage point. They also see a whole ontop of the gym as if something had crashed through it. Lights also come from the hole. Those with keen sight can see that the bloody streak continue into the gymnasium door that still stands open. The Sheriff and crew look poised to enter the building, guns drawn.


As they leave, Weiss notes yet again nobody has opted to drive in the warmth of the Beauty.
Wonder if I smell or something he ponders to himself.

Keeping the Beauty at a distance about 500 feet when they find the Sheriff, Weiss flicks on the thermal imager and begins scanning the building.

"Give me a second, let me run a thermal scan of the building. That will tell us how many beings are in there."
Or at least ones that radiate heat. Depends on what we have to deal with.

Sensory Equipment 74% 1d100 = 33 use the thermal imager, range 2000 feet on the school.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Torment

Postby Keiko » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:56 pm

**Rolls Held Over**


Active Effects
  • Dimensional Attenuation: 110 Miles
  • Excellent hearing and smell
  • Sixth Sense
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy


Keiko giggles slightly at the description of the Cyberknight's code provided by Daisuke. Interesting well i guess thats what i should expect. Seems like I did fall in with a group with strong principles. Nothing wrong with that. Just need to keep my previous activities on the down low. But lets see how far we can push things with this one. This should be entertaining. Daisuke can see that all Keiko's responses, while genuine, are all controlled and deliberate. Each little tilt of the head, flick of her tail, and change in her stance is deliberate. Keiko is very good looking and she knows it, it is obvious she knows how to use her physical charms to help her get her way.

When Keiko replies her voice is soft and warm. Her stance changes as she holds her hands behind her back, swaying left and right slightly, imparting a child like innocence to her response. "They sound like the heros from old stories. The ones where they rescue some girl or a town and the like." There is a different look in Keiko's eyes. While her voice is soft her eyes are excited and wild. Like this conversation is a different hunt for her. "So if I hear you right then we need to help those who can't help themselves by taking on their risk. I can follow that. But tell me, at what point do you mitigate the risk to the rescuers? Saving everyone is great and all, Keiko slides next to Daisuke her voice like that of a lovers, But its hard to do if you get yourself killed." Keiko moves back to a reasonable personal space distance. The innocent smile not at all matching the practicality of her words. "Should we not limit the risk to ourselves while still attempting to help others? Should we fall here and now then who would be left to help those who need it? Would the others here take up the mantle we left behind or at seeing us fall would they give into despair? Save who we can but make those who we can't save have meaning. If we drop the building then we may kill a few, if they aren't dead already, but we save more in the long run as we will still be at a good strength at the end of the conflict. If we go in there we will likely be split up. Making it more difficult to keep coordinated actions and allowing this creature to encounter us in smaller numbers rather then making it face us as a single group." Keiko's expression looks like she just cornered her prey and is ready for the killing blow, "I'm good with either option. Cause either way this hunt will be fun. But just remember we still have another hunt. And hunting renegade soldiers will be much more challenging then this. More rewarding too. My point is we should not expend any more energy then is absolutely necessary on this because we have bigger things down that road we need to remain ready for."
I like this one. He's kind of cute too. I wonder just how far off his principles i can move him?
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86

MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
User avatar
Keiko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Jack McDermott » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:21 am

Jack McDermott wrote:Perception: Original post: 1d100 = 63 vs 45%
JIC: Original post: 1d20 = 7 and Original post: 1d100 = 14


Keiko wrote: "That would be the most practical way to deal with the situation. It looks like a fairly soft structure. It shouldn't take much to bring it down." Keiko turns back to the Sheriff, "Was that what you guys were doing? Hunting this beast?"


Jack nods and smiles, Finally. Someone with sense. "I don't see a need to risk ourselves." Jack looks to the sheriff as well, "Ddi any of your people go in after it?"

Daisuke wrote:"How large would you say? Size of a wolf? Size of a person? Size of a hovercycle? Size of a heavy lifter?"


Jack replies quickly, "Bigger than you and me!"

Daisuke wrote:"I may be mistaken, but I believe we are bound to act in accordance to Sir Ronith's cyberknight code. We bear the hardships to aid the defenseless. Besides, give what we know about the flavors of evil found in the future, can't we say with a fair amount of confidence that collapsing a building atop them is hardly a guaranteed means of defeating a potentially supernatural foe? I say we follow Sir Ronith's lead and orders. He is going to breach, confront whatever is inside and we remain at the ready to support."


Jack looks at Daisuke, How does bringing down the building conflict with the elf's code? Hell, we would be keeping people safe.

Keiko wrote:"Sorry, I haven't dealt with may Cyberknights, so I'm less familiar with his code then I should be. Could you give me the cliff notes? Also I don't think Jack's suggestion was to kill the creature in the building by collapsing it. I think he was suggesting it as a way to get the creature into the open and take away its ability to ambush us. If a creature either retreated here or took someone here that indicates it has familiarity with this place. Any actions we take inside will be on its turf where it has the advantage. By removing the building we remove its advantage and give ourselves the element of surprise." Keiko's pleasant smile never fades but her eyes light up as she describes the hunting methods.


"If the building kills it, that would be a double win. But yes, draw it out. I'm not going into it's den. That would be stupid. As for the elf's code, well we have to be kind. Protect people. Stuff like that. I don't see how bringing this building down goes against the code."

Daisuke wrote:"Can't say I am a scholar on the topic of cyberknights myself. All I know is what I have heard during deployment downtime. Gossip among bored mercenaries. But based on that, cyberknights are legend for being champions of good. Noble and valiant crusaders. They fight evil in all its forms. Stand up for the weak, downtrodden and helpless regardless of who they are. They will endure personal hazard to alleviate the suffering of others. And they value life. Are not willing to give up hope on saving lives whenever possible. Again, I can't say for sure. But if innocents are still alive down there, I don't think we are to risk harm to them. In fact, since we are better able to endure it, I believe his code calls on us to rise to the occasion, put ourselves at risk so that there is the chance that others may live."


Oh, we are gonna rise to the occasion. "If nobody else is on their, this would be the safest way."

Weiss wrote:"Give me a second, let me run a thermal scan of the building. That will tell us how many beings are in there."


Hearing Weiss over the radio Jack smiles, "That will give us an answer, If he reports 1 or 2 heat signatures, we force it out and take it down"

Keiko wrote:When Keiko replies her voice is soft and warm. Her stance changes as she holds her hands behind her back, swaying left and right slightly, imparting a child like innocence to her response. "They sound like the heros from old stories. The ones where they rescue some girl or a town and the like." There is a different look in Keiko's eyes. While her voice is soft her eyes are excited and wild. Like this conversation is a different hunt for her. "So if I hear you right then we need to help those who can't help themselves by taking on their risk. I can follow that. But tell me, at what point do you mitigate the risk to the rescuers? Saving everyone is great and all, Keiko slides next to Daisuke her voice like that of a lovers, But its hard to do if you get yourself killed." Keiko moves back to a reasonable personal space distance. The innocent smile not at all matching the practicality of her words. "Should we not limit the risk to ourselves while still attempting to help others? Should we fall here and now then who would be left to help those who need it? Would the others here take up the mantle we left behind or at seeing us fall would they give into despair? Save who we can but make those who we can't save have meaning. If we drop the building then we may kill a few, if they aren't dead already, but we save more in the long run as we will still be at a good strength at the end of the conflict. If we go in there we will likely be split up. Making it more difficult to keep coordinated actions and allowing this creature to encounter us in smaller numbers rather then making it face us as a single group." Keiko's expression looks like she just cornered her prey and is ready for the killing blow, "I'm good with either option. Cause either way this hunt will be fun. But just remember we still have another hunt. And hunting renegade soldiers will be much more challenging then this. More rewarding too. My point is we should not expend any more energy then is absolutely necessary on this because we have bigger things down that road we need to remain ready for."


"We can't help anyone if we dead! If Weiss reports minimal signatures. I vote the building come down. Besides, if we don't. The sheriff is likely to take his own men in and they don't stand a chance." Jack speaks loud enough hoping the sheriff hears him. "Whatever this thing is, it will consider them Hors d'oeuvres and move on when it's done for the main course. The right things to do here. The good thing. Protect these men from IT and themselves"
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Virtus » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:47 pm

Conditions
Time: Day 4, 07:01pm (deep darkness, moon is hidden behind thick clouds)
Temperature: 12F
Visibility: 50ft (heavy fog)
Wind: 10mph out of the Northwest
Snow: 24"
Radio Traffic: light, heavy interference
Magic Use: Magic within 500ft. nexus rules in effect. Supernatural evil is detectable within 500ft and all will sense it within the scope of time.
Nexus Present within 1 mile
Open Rifts within 1 mile


MAP https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

Grant swings by the sheriff along with Grant, who was surprised by their arrival. "We had been to two stations already but they seems dry. We just found one with some diesel still in the tanks when it came out and grabbed Stevie. Appeared practically out of nowhere. It was a beast! Like a werewolf! We shot it several times, but it didn't seem to take any mind!" he says, gripping his pistol nervously. "When it looked at me, I was stricken with a terror I've never known. We ran after it as fast as we could, but once we reach here, I just couldn't bring myself to go inside."

Grant flies up and looks in. He sees that the gymnasium has been closed, even before the cataclysm, possibly due to the holidays observed in this time. But, due to his magics still active on himself he can see a great hairy form, holding a human form he has recently disemboweled, entrails on the gym floor. Grant recognizes the creature as an Alu. There appears to be only one, but in this environment, it's more than enough.

Jack, Keiko, Barracuda, Ashlynn and Daisuke listen to the same information. Barracuda readies himself incase backup is needed.

Ashlynn can relate that the shadows were more concerned about staying out of sight. More than likely, either scavengers or people trying to fortify a position, however vulnerable it might be.

Weiss runs a thermal scan and picks up only two readings, but one seems to be cooling off.

They mull over bringing the whole building down, but even Grant knows that may not be enough to take out an Alu. Naturally this threat isn't significant to this crew, but it does beg the question... where did it come from and are there more? And if there are, should they devote energy to it?
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Torment

Postby Ronith » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:18 am

Initiative: 1d20+18 = 31 (+6 if sixth sense applies)
JIC: 1d20 = 7, 1d100 = 53
PER: 1d100 = 70 vs. 94% (+15% with hearing, +25% to ID friend or foe, strategic assessment, ID strengths and weaknesses of enemy; +10% to ID enemy in disguise, metamorphed, or shape-changed)
APM: 8
Conditions
[*] Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 399 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
[*] Armor of Ithan | BOM 96 | 19 min | 100 M.D.C. | Invisible, 1/2 dmg from magic fire, cold, and lightning.
[*]Shadow Meld | BOM 103 | 23 min |In shadows, +15% to prowl and opponents -5 to strike.
[*]Extended Presence Sense | Rifter 25 P. 77 | 12 min | 80ft radius | 92% skill.
Prowl- 1d100 = 53 vs. 111% (after EBA penalty and shadow meld bonus)
To sneak up on the Alu, and any other form of nasty that’s inside.
Demon/Monster Lore- 1d100 = 78 vs. 106%
To recognize the target as an Alu, and/or go through the mental list of other cainoids who fit the available evidence.
Extended Presence Sense- 1d100 = 5 vs. 92%
To identify anyone else on the grounds who might be in need of rescue.

Virtus wrote:"It was a beast! Like a werewolf! We shot it several times, but it didn't seem to take any mind! When it looked at me, I was stricken with a terror I've never known. We ran after it as fast as we could, but once we reach here, I just couldn't bring myself to go inside."
”That instinct likely saved the lives of your and your men, Sherriff. Kindly withdraw to a safe distance- my team and I will handle this. If your man still lives, we shall save him. If not, we shall avenge him.” Ronith waves the Sherriff off, and activates his extended presence sense ability ((-8 ISP)) to psionically sweep the building for other presences, be they hostile or in need of rescue. Finding none, but upon hearing Grant’s report of the Alu feasting on a fresh kill, the cyber-knight briefly considers simply withdrawing. But we hope to be evacuating civilians from the area soon. That objective would be best accomplished without a demonic predator lurking nearby. Ronith gets on the team radio frequency and issues a few orders in a low voice.

”Grant, do what you can to slow down the Alu quickly, then make a circuit of the school. I sense no other presences in the area, but it would be good to be sure. Daisuke, once I begin my attack open a portal and bring the rest of the team to the fight. Anyone who thinks that they would be better served by remaining outside and providing fire support may do so. Hit it hard and fast, catch it off-guard and hopefully kill it before it can escape. Ronith out.”

His mind made up and his orders given, Ronith creeps silently towards the Alu. The cyber-knight will get as close as he can while remaining undetected, then once he is ready to begin his surprise assault Ronith will quick draw his blades and charge to the attack- sticking to the shadows to preserve his element of surprise as long as possible.

Action 1: Sword strike with Frostfang. 1d20+20 = 31, 1d6*10 = 60 MD.
Action 2: Sword strike with Frostfang. 1d20+20 = 37, 1d6*10 = 30 MD.
Action 3: Sword strike with Frostfang. 1d20+20 = 28, 1d6*10 = 30 MD.
Action 4: Sword strike with Frostfang. 1d20+20 = 29, 1d6*10 = 50 MD.
Action 5: Sword strike with Frostfang. 1d20+20 = 38, 1d6*10 = 10 MD.
Action 6: Sword strike with Frostfang. 1d20+20 = 21, 1d6*10 = 10 MD.
Action 7: Sword strike with Frostfang. 1d20+20 = 33, 1d6*10 = 60 MD.
Action 8: Sword strike with Frostfang. 1d20+20 = 30, 1d6*10 = 10 MD.

Auto-parries: 1d20+26 = 41, 1d20+26 = 31, 1d20+26 = 41, 1d20+26 = 39, 1d20+26 = 30, 1d20+26 = 40, 1d20+26 = 36, 1d20+26 = 44
Auto-dodges: 1d20+14 = 30, 1d20+14 = 16, 1d20+14 = 27, 1d20+14 = 15, 1d20+14 = 17, 1d20+14 = 22, 1d20+14 = 31, 1d20+14 = 22
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Conditions: Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent);
Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
+11 vs. Magic, 16 vs. HF, 7 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 83/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (3/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Postby Grant Latham » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:28 am

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100 = 84
JIC: 1d20 = 13, 1d100 = 10

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 94/94
  • P.P.E.: 1968/656
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 9 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 25 PPE| 399.00 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Infrad Vision | MA 9 | 2 PPE | 99 min | 2000' |See through 4" S.D.C. .5" light M.D.C. material. 1" dirt. 1' water or heavy M.D.C.
  • Invisibility to Sensors | MA 15 | 20 PPE | 39.00 min
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 59.00 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
  • Mystic Invisibility | MA 17 | 25 PPE | 99.00 min
  • Nightvision | MA 9 | 4 PPE | 119.00 min | 3600' in non magical darkness
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 PPE | 19 min | 1200'
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 PPE | 39 min | 270' radius
  • Telepathy| | RUE 174 | 4 ISP | 39 min | 1000' two way, Surface Thoughts 120'



An Alu! Grant thinks as he peers down into the building. He grimaces at the mangled body in it's grip. Ah that poor soul, at least it looks like he went quick. Finding just one of these demons is strange, we should probably capture it and get it to tell us if it's here alone.

Grant uses his telepathy to let Sir Ronith know what he sees.

Sir Ronith wrote:”Grant, do what you can to slow down the Alu quickly, then make a circuit of the school. I sense no other presences in the area, but it would be good to be sure. Daisuke, once I begin my attack open a portal and bring the rest of the team to the fight. Anyone who thinks that they would be better served by remaining outside and providing fire support may do so. Hit it hard and fast, catch it off-guard and hopefully kill it before it can escape. Ronith out.”


Floating in the darkness, Grant shakes his head, but doesn't object to Sir Ronith's orders. He quickly thinks through his options. He replies telepathically, I will enter the building magically, then attempt to disorient it so it's unable to escape. Then constrain it for you to finish off.

With his draining blade in his hand, the mage floats over to a blank section of the wall, then casts Mystic Portal (BOM 135 | 20 PPE | 80' | 10' x 20' doorway | 20 min | Pass Through Walls 12'/level. Teleport 100'/level) upon it. He orients the exit to be above and behind the Alu so he will still be floating nominally out of reach. Once it's cast, he moves through the portal invisibly. He quickly casts Mental Blast (BOM 109 | 15 PPE | 800' | Save vs Psionic Attack | 5d6 plus disorientation. Double Damage by Touch. Direct Damage to H.P. Affects up to Body Armor. Invisible effects except to Mind Melters/Bleeders. -2 S/P/D/I, -20% skills for 1d4 melees. Half damage and no penalties if save is made.). Then he casts Magic Net (BOM 101 | 7 PPE | 240' | 20' r | Dodge 16 or higher | 6 min | 2 rounds to cut with M.D. weapons, those caught are helpless.)

After his first two spells are he reaches out mental to Sir Ronith, Now!

If the Alu looks disoriented and is captured, Grant pauses for the rest of the team, not wanting to mix it up in melee range. If it's still moving, he continues to cast Mental Blast, otherwise, he uses his telepathy to scan the Alu's surface thoughts in it's last moments.

Language: Demogogian 96% vs 1d100 = 44 | Understand the Alu's thoughts
Language: Dragonese/Elf 96% vs 1d100 = 55 | Understand the Alu's thoughts

APM: 10 (11 with Magic)
Initiative: 1d20+6 = 17

  1. Move through Mystic Portal
  2. Cast Mental Blast: 5d6 = 19 M.D., Disorientation Lasts 1d4 = 2 melees
  3. Cast Magic Net
  4. Use Telepathy to speak to Sir Ronith
  5. Listen to the Alu's thoughts or Cast Mental Blast: 5d6 = 20 M.D., Disorientation Lasts 1d4 = 1 melees
  6. Listen to the Alu's thoughts or Cast Mental Blast: 5d6 = 19 M.D., Disorientation Lasts 1d4 = 1 melees
  7. Listen to the Alu's thoughts or Cast Mental Blast: 5d6 = 14 M.D., Disorientation Lasts 1d4 = 3 melees
  8. Listen to the Alu's thoughts or Cast Mental Blast: 5d6 = 14 M.D., Disorientation Lasts 1d4 = 1 melees
  9. Listen to the Alu's thoughts or Cast Mental Blast: 5d6 = 22 M.D., Disorientation Lasts 1d4 = 1 melees
  10. Listen to the Alu's thoughts or Cast Mental Blast: 5d6 = 18 M.D., Disorientation Lasts 1d4 = 1 melees
  11. Listen to the Alu's thoughts or Cast Mental Blast: 5d6 = 20 M.D., Disorientation Lasts 1d4 = 4 melees
  12. Listen to the Alu's thoughts or Cast Mental Blast: 5d6 = 20 M.D., Disorientation Lasts 1d4 = 3 melees

Dodge/Parry/Roll w/Impact/Magic (+4/+9+/+3/+7) 10d20:
2, 8, 10, 3, 18, 19, 18, 10, 18, 4
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Torment

Postby Daisuke » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:55 am

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 55 | 48%
JIC: 1d20 = 14 | 1d100 = 69%
APM: 7
Initiative: 1d20+4 = 21
-----------------------------------
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Adhesion
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs] (2/4)
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs] (1/2)
    • Lynx Laser Rifle
    • <empty>
Stats
    HP/MDC: 51/51
    SDC: 191/191
    PPE: 13/13
Crusader EBA
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50
  • Arms: 30 each
  • Legs: 50 each
  • Main Body: 95
Weight: 24 lbs.
Modifiers: Fair mobility, -15% to physical skills
Features:
  • All features standard to environmental armor
Book Reference: p.55-56, WB 34[/size]
Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 24% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +6 (+1)
Magic (varies): +6 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +9 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +14 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +6 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +6 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +10
Psionics (12+): +6
Horror Factor: +9
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +8 (+6)[/size]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 399 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 59 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy

Jack McDermott wrote:
Keiko wrote:When Keiko replies her voice is soft and warm. Her stance changes as she holds her hands behind her back, swaying left and right slightly, imparting a child like innocence to her response. "They sound like the heros from old stories. The ones where they rescue some girl or a town and the like." There is a different look in Keiko's eyes. While her voice is soft her eyes are excited and wild. Like this conversation is a different hunt for her. "So if I hear you right then we need to help those who can't help themselves by taking on their risk. I can follow that. But tell me, at what point do you mitigate the risk to the rescuers? Saving everyone is great and all, Keiko slides next to Daisuke her voice like that of a lovers, But its hard to do if you get yourself killed." Keiko moves back to a reasonable personal space distance. The innocent smile not at all matching the practicality of her words. "Should we not limit the risk to ourselves while still attempting to help others? Should we fall here and now then who would be left to help those who need it? Would the others here take up the mantle we left behind or at seeing us fall would they give into despair? Save who we can but make those who we can't save have meaning. If we drop the building then we may kill a few, if they aren't dead already, but we save more in the long run as we will still be at a good strength at the end of the conflict. If we go in there we will likely be split up. Making it more difficult to keep coordinated actions and allowing this creature to encounter us in smaller numbers rather then making it face us as a single group." Keiko's expression looks like she just cornered her prey and is ready for the killing blow, "I'm good with either option. Cause either way this hunt will be fun. But just remember we still have another hunt. And hunting renegade soldiers will be much more challenging then this. More rewarding too. My point is we should not expend any more energy then is absolutely necessary on this because we have bigger things down that road we need to remain ready for."


"We can't help anyone if we dead! If Weiss reports minimal signatures. I vote the building come down. Besides, if we don't. The sheriff is likely to take his own men in and they don't stand a chance." Jack speaks loud enough hoping the sheriff hears him. "Whatever this thing is, it will consider them Hors d'oeuvres and move on when it's done for the main course. The right things to do here. The good thing. Protect these men from IT and themselves"

Interrogation. 1d100 = 12 | 86% <== Recognize efforts to influence or otherwise manipulate emotions. Tactics commonly used during interrogation or trained defense against interrogation.
Impersonation. 1d100 = 42 | 83% <== Play wet-behind-ears novice convincingly to Keiko and Jack.
Interesting. What are your intentions, Keiko? Alright, I'm game. Daisuke thinks even as his supernatural mental endurance resists the temptation of innocence. Playing along, Daisuke hand inadvertently reaches up to scratch the back of his head. Much as a novice would when faced with indecision at being given new and shocking information.

"I mean, I'm just guessing at what the cyberknight code is. Since Sir Ronith is the first I've met, your guess is as good as mine." a slight trembling vibrato infused into his voice conveys uncertainty. "I see your point though. The safety of the rescuers must be factored into any recovery plan. One wouldn't send a helicopter crew into a raging typhoon to rescue stranded sailors. The risk would be too high, and the entire rescue party could be lost." Daisuke nods in acquiescence.

Talk of bringing the building down by Keiko and Jack is left largely uncommented by the Arismal. He waits until Weiss reports back the minimal heat signatures inside. "Well, there you go then. Decision made." Daisuke confirms with the two. Though his wording suggests multiple potential interpretations.

Sir Ronith wrote:”Grant, do what you can to slow down the Alu quickly, then make a circuit of the school. I sense no other presences in the area, but it would be good to be sure. Daisuke, once I begin my attack open a portal and bring the rest of the team to the fight. Anyone who thinks that they would be better served by remaining outside and providing fire support may do so. Hit it hard and fast, catch it off-guard and hopefully kill it before it can escape. Ronith out.”

Alu... Daisuke thinks to himself as Sir Ronith's radio communication with Grant chirps over their team comms. He performs a mental shrug as the designation means little to him.

"Roger that. Standing by for portal insertion support." Daisuke confirms over the radio. Then a thought occurs to him as they wait. He waves up to Weiss in the Beauty and gets on the team comms.

"Hey Weiss. Can you check that Alu-baddie isn't alone? 360 degree thermal scan while we wait for Sir Ronith's 'go' signal? If they are around, they should certainly light up bright as day against this frigid backdrop. I'd like to make sure that if we all insert into the school that we don't immediately leave the rest of the Sheriff's crew to be late-night snacks for its friends and family."

Daisuke stands at the ready and when the portal insertion needs to be made, he does his part. "Be back in a moment." the Arismal remarks to the Sheriff and his crew, before being the last to step through his portal. The tear in space-time snaps shut behind him.

Contingency Dodges (+4 not included):
7d20:
8, 12, 17, 9, 12, 5, 7
User avatar
Daisuke
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Postby Ashlynn » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:19 am

Perception: 79% /84% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 9 (SUCCESS)

JIC: 1d20 = 18
1d100 = 93

Conditions:
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.

Jack wrote:"I have never met a friendly shadow other than my own. Have you?"


Ashlynn grins. "Not yet!"

Daisuke wrote:"Did any of the shadows appear armed? Either technologically with some manner of gun or innately like 3-foot long claws or some-such?"


Ashlynn shakes her head. "Nah. They were just all lurky. Tryin' to hide an' all."

As Ronith talks to the Sheriff and then issues orders, Ashlynn fidgets, checking and rechecking her gear. As he orders Daisuk to hang back and then portal the team in, Ash moves to the arismal's side.

She grins at him. "So are your portals magic or what? I been through magic portals before but if they're not magic what are they? Some kinda wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff? I got powers but I'm pretty sure they're not magic, so I'm familiar with innate abilities. Though I do have a familiar, but that's 'cause of Friendly Fred. I didn't cast a spell to summon Huey."

Ashlynn also begins to ponder Alu, and wonders what theya re and whether they have any weaknesses.

Lore: Demons & Monsters 40% 1d100 = 32 (SUCCESS)

As she ponders, she picks up Daisuke and Keiko's conversation mid-stream.
Daisuke wrote:"I mean, I'm just guessing at what the cyberknight code is. Since Sir Ronith is the first I've met, your guess is as good as mine."


"Basically, 'we protect the innocent and battle evil on all of our missions'."

She waits with Daisuke and the others for go-time.

If or when Daisuke opens the portal, Ashlynn will bounce through.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 45/45
S.D.C.: 68/68


TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45/45
  • Arms: 40/40 each
  • Legs: 45/45 each
  • Main Body: 100/100
Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, and +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Infrared & thermal masking

N-F20A Medium Force Field (integrated into FreeRunner Exoskeleton)
M.D.C. by Location:
    Force Field: 75
Features:
    10 hour duration per E-clip
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Torment

Postby Weiss » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:23 pm

perception 56% 1d100 = 90
JIC 1d20 = 13 1d100 = 84

Virtus wrote:Weiss runs a thermal scan and picks up only two readings, but one seems to be cooling off.


"Only picking up two thermal readings and one of those is cooling fast." Weiss informs the others, his voice tinged with regret that they have arrived too late to save the captive.

Ronith wrote:”Grant, do what you can to slow down the Alu quickly, then make a circuit of the school. I sense no other presences in the area, but it would be good to be sure. Daisuke, once I begin my attack open a portal and bring the rest of the team to the fight. Anyone who thinks that they would be better served by remaining outside and providing fire support may do so. Hit it hard and fast, catch it off-guard and hopefully kill it before it can escape. Ronith out.”


Weiss maneuvres the Beauty back a few steps and sets his pride and joy into position.

"The Beauty will demolish the school if I go in. Best I cover if it tries to escape. Grant, the Sheriff mentioned that it shrugged off their attacks. Are there any weaknesses or immunities we should be aware of when fighting this thing? An informed attack is much better than running in half cocked.

Daisuke wrote:He waves up to Weiss in the Beauty and gets on the team comms.

"Hey Weiss. Can you check that Alu-baddie isn't alone? 360 degree thermal scan while we wait for Sir Ronith's 'go' signal? If they are around, they should certainly light up bright as day against this frigid backdrop. I'd like to make sure that if we all insert into the school that we don't immediately leave the rest of the Sheriff's crew to be late-night snacks for its friends and family."


"I can run a few scans whilst whoever is going in assaults the school. Let's hope there is not a pack of them." Weiss concurs, starting the scans. "Sheriff, if any of your party are becoming seriously affected by the cold, I can fit another person inside." he makes the offer to the Sheriff and his people.

Sensory Equipment 74% 1d100 = 86 thermal imager 2000 feet
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Torment

Postby Grant Latham » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:09 pm

(rolls carried)

Before weaving his magic.

Weiss wrote:"The Beauty will demolish the school if I go in. Best I cover if it tries to escape. Grant, the Sheriff mentioned that it shrugged off their attacks. Are there any weaknesses or immunities we should be aware of when fighting this thing? An informed attack is much better than running in half cocked.

Daisuke wrote:He waves up to Weiss in the Beauty and gets on the team comms.

"Hey Weiss. Can you check that Alu-baddie isn't alone? 360 degree thermal scan while we wait for Sir Ronith's 'go' signal? If they are around, they should certainly light up bright as day against this frigid backdrop. I'd like to make sure that if we all insert into the school that we don't immediately leave the rest of the Sheriff's crew to be late-night snacks for its friends and family."


"I can run a few scans whilst whoever is going in assaults the school. Let's hope there is not a pack of them." Weiss concurs, starting the scans. "Sheriff, if any of your party are becoming seriously affected by the cold, I can fit another person inside." he makes the offer to the Sheriff and his people.t


Hovering the darkness, invisible to both the mundane, technological and mystical, Grant waits a moment as he hears the request chirp in his ear piece. He can see that my position could be easily compromised. Well, no he can't, can he? But he is cognizant of the need for information. I suppose if we were going against the Kittani or other mechanized forces, our positions would be reversed.

He thumbs the key to respond. The beep in his ear piece sounds very loud, in a very quiet voice he answers, "An Alu isn't the smartest of creatures out there, but the lore has that they are superb hunters. They are the hunters and trackers of demon-kind. They don't have any significant supernatural abilities besides strength and speed, they can dimensionally teleport, but aren't known to be very proficient. Nor do they have any specific vulnerabilities. Fire has little to no effect, so I wouldn't use the Blue Beauty's flamethrower.

Barely above a sub-demon in ability,
a bit of derisiveness in the mage's tone can be heard in the last sentence. He continues, "It's possible it's out here alone, or it could be an advance scout of a larger group. With the coming of the rifts and the return of magic, their bodies have been strengthened to that of hardened steel, it's probably this that is the major problem for the Sherriff. There is probably at most one military grade weapon among the whole team."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Torment

Postby Jack McDermott » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:24 am

Perception: 1d100 = 73 vs 45%
JIC: 1d20 = 15 and 1d100 = 41

Skills
Detect Ambush 60% vs 1d100 = 68 - Look for areas where other Alu might be able to attack from.
Detect Concealment 55% vs 1d100 = 1 - Look for possible concealed Alu or anything else hidden around them

Weiss wrote:"The Beauty will demolish the school if I go in. Best I cover if it tries to escape. Grant, the Sheriff mentioned that it shrugged off their attacks. Are there any weaknesses or immunities we should be aware of when fighting this thing? An informed attack is much better than running in half cocked.

"I can run a few scans whilst whoever is going in assaults the school. Let's hope there is not a pack of them." Weiss concurs, starting the scans. "Sheriff, if any of your party are becoming seriously affected by the cold, I can fit another person inside." he makes the offer to the Sheriff and his people.


Jack listens to the team discuss the creature, [color=00080]"I'll hand out here with Weiss, he can watch the building, I'll watch his back."[/color] Jack turns to look at what is around them behind the building. It looks for possible hiding spots or ambush attack points. If it isn't alone. Are they ever? Jack wonders how many hunters actually travel alone.

As Jack surveys the surrounding area he worries, What if it is a trap? They are going in there... He shakes his head as he second guess the boss's decision. We are about to find out. Jack keeps his thoughts to himself as he isn't quite sure how it will go. He prepares himself for any attack by outside alu. If Jack sees anything charging the building he will open fire with his tesla bow.

Initiative: 1d20+1 = 8
Number of attacks: 6

Action 1: Strike with Tesla Bow1d20+13 = 26; Damage 4d6 = 13 + Tesla Effect
Action 2: Strike with Tesla Bow1d20+13 = 18; Damage 4d6 = 14 + Tesla Effect
Action 3: Strike with Tesla Bow1d20+13 = 14; Damage 4d6 = 14 + Tesla Effect
Action 4: Strike with Tesla Bow1d20+13 = 29; Damage 4d6 = 8 + Tesla Effect
Action 5: Strike with Tesla Bow1d20+13 = 19; Damage 4d6 = 19 + Tesla Effect
Action 6: Strike with Tesla Bow1d20+13 = 30; Damage 4d6 = 13 + Tesla Effect

Parries: 1d20+8 = 26, 1d20+8 = 19, 1d20+8 = 20, 1d20+8 = 17, 1d20+8 = 23, 1d20+8 = 21,
Dodges: 1d20+8 = 23, 1d20+8 = 17, 1d20+8 = 27, 1d20+8 = 20, 1d20+8 = 28, 1d20+8 = 24,
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Heroes for Hire Adventure Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest