Dedicated Feedback Thread

True Grit: Only the crustiest mercs can do the crustiest work.
GM: OPEN
AGM: Mad Scientist

Moderators: Game Masters, Group Leaders

Dedicated Feedback Thread

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:53 am

Taking a page from Auger's book here, and posting a listing of what to expect from TGM. Fortunately, it's simple.

1. I'm here for fun, and I hope that's why you're here too. Above all else, I want everyone to be having a good time, and as such I will be posting in ways to allow people to shine in their specialties and to play to their character traits. Things will happen that might be exciting, might be inconvenient, might be embarrassing – but hopefully always entertaining. If you're not having fun, please let me know and give me an idea of what would help make things moreso.

2. Spelling, adequate grammar and punctuation, and so forth – important. If you're reading a book and you run across formatting errors and typos, I know it jars me, I'd imagine it's the same for you. Please go over your posts before finalizing them, check for typos, run them through a spell-checker, get someone else to quickly glance over them, whatever – I'd just like to see things laid out properly. I'll make sure to do the same for you, so you have the same experience.

3. A medium-sized post is better than three one-liners with no action listed. There are criteria for awarding XP, and I much prefer being able to tick off all the basics rather than having to edit certain ones out here and there. Just make sure you're adhering to the posting formats (Perception, JIC, and Initiative rolls where appropriate, use the formatting standards for speech, thought, telepathy, etc); posting dialogue; posting thoughts, internal monologue, introspection or what have you; and action, the 'stagecraft' of your post (just reading a splash of dialogue leaves out the backdrop of where the dialogue is being said and what’s going on in the background.)

4. Roleplaying is always going to be a bigger draw for me than how badass your character can be in combat. I'd rather read an entertainingly written combat post of your character wailing ineffectively away on an opponent they can't land a blow on than wade through dozens of attack rolls and hundreds of points of damage without anything specific attached to them. Even better, of course, is a post that has skilful, effective attacks and some colourful descriptors attached to them.

5. If there's something you feel I've overlooked, forgotten, or unfairly didn't account for, please, let me know. I'm far from infallible, I can miss things. I may also have a valid reason for doing things the way I did, and while I might not tell you exactly why at that moment, it's better to know that things were played out for a reason rather than an oops. It will all come clear eventually. Furthermore, I am open to be talked to about anything relevant; if there's a direction you'd like to see things go for your character, tell me – I can most likely work it into what’s going on. …perhaps not exactly as you saw it happening, but that's the fun part.

6. I'm not Santa – rewards of loot and payments will come as they are earned and will generally have some satisfaction for having acquired it. If it just pops up in your pants without warning, how do you get excited about this important acquisition?

7. Basic Bookkeeping. To keep things consistent, I will be referring to character sheets when it comes to looking at things like S.D.C. and M.D.C. totals and I.S.P. and P.P.E. levels. If you have any of these (which I know you all do), and the levels change for whatever reason (injury, use of psi powers, charging a TW weapon), please list the current level alongside the maximum capacity. The same goes for armour and vehicles; if they take damage, it will be your responsibility to record such on the sheet's entry. That way both you and I will know where you're at, and there won't be any confusion later on as to what's happened to whom. If you maintain this information in a signature as well, also keep it current for reference purposes, but the character sheet will be the primary source. As well, signatures are a great place to keep current conditions and durations listed (Armour of Ithan 83 M.D.C. (3 melees remaining), Blinded (2 minutes remaining) , Drunk, Gender Swapped, etc).

Any feedback you might have on the above and on the adventures, please post it here or PM to me.
Mad Scientist
Assistant Game Master

Re: Dedicated Feedback Thread

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:31 am

Couple of addendum points;

8. I tend to be an outside-the-box, innovative solution player. When appropriate for the situation, your opponents will tend to be so as well. Might want to keep that in mind when making plans.

9. If there are RP exchanges happening during an elapsed period of time, they can continue past the next GM post as having occurred before it. This is cut off if the subject of the exchange becomes relevant to the new post; eg a trading and discussion of weaponry a few hours ago immediately ceases (at least that aspect) if combat breaks out in the new GM post. I encourage people posting back and forth for roleplaying purposes; the necessity to keep the story moving forward doesn't have to cut that short on a weekly basis.

10. There will, occasionally, be events that occur that are fairly time-sensitive. In such situations, the next GM post might come only a couple of days after it, rather than a week, whether everyone has posted or not. This will be to reflect the need for an urgent response. :)
Mad Scientist
Assistant Game Master

Return to The Roughnecks (Independent, 8 Players, 0 Openings)