Side jobs

These fuckers are too stubborn to die.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Side jobs

Postby Armstrong » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:03 am

Seamus

With Seamus' lack of knowledge about Merctown and forgetting that he has a map, he and Juan manage to wander into a run down area of Merctown known as the Warrens. Juan for his part does not seem angry, but more bemused as he looks around.

A group of children swarm through Seamus and Juan, giggling as they do so. Juan suddenly stops and thrusts his hand into his pocket, before patting himself down hurriedly.

He turns and looks at Seamus, his face a mix of anger and horror.

“One of those pequeño diablos has stolen my locket.”

You see the gaggle of children rush around the corner.



Mouser

Mouser follows Brogan as they travel to the Collegiate Arcanum, who leads you around the 12’ high stone wall to an iron-wrought front gate in the south wall.

As they approach the gate, Brogan stops and nods first to the right and then to the left of the gate.

“1 guest accompanying.”
Brogan says; the wall vibrates for a second and then the breeze picks up a few bits of litter before the gate slowly opens up. Brogan nods their head to signal Mouser to follow them. Walking inside, Mouser can see Beyond the wall is a vast courtyard paved in cobblestone, save for around the bases of trees planted in twin rows leading to a massive fountain carved in the shape of a Great Homed Dragon. Looming behind the fountain, dwarfing the almost life-sized statue, is the Guild Hall. The Hall is one of the largest buildings in MercTown, a gigantic gray stone structure constructed to resemble a medieval fortress with a pair of circular stone towers 200' tall. Scattered around this central keep are a half dozen smaller buildings, most of which are two story dormitories used as quarters for visiting sorcerers and acolytes studying to be wizards at the magic college.

Brogan does not take Mouser past the fountain, but diverts immediately to the East around the perimeter as the gate noiselessly closes behind them. Passing behind two of the outer buildings, you are led to a loading area above an underground hatch, with a few crates. Brogan holds up a crate lid, which shows the crate is empty of contents.

“Inside this box was a demonic item that a less salubrious member of our fraternity had tried to sneak through the airport rather than transport it along the leyline. Somehow between arriving at the airport and making their way here, this crate was deprived of its contents. We are not sure what it does, but your somewhat rare nature should make you resistant to any effects that would otherwise.”
Roughnecks AGM
User avatar
Armstrong
Assistant Game Master
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 am

Re: Side jobs

Postby Seamus Finch » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:58 pm

Perception vs 28%:1d100 = 1
JIC:1d100 = 13|1d20 = 2

Seamus smiles at the kids as they swarm them, knowing his money is stowed safely. Didn’t I have a candy bar or two somewhere? Seamus muses, thinking of something he could use to bait the kids with.

Juan wrote: “One of those pequeño diablos has stolen my locket.”


Seamus grimaces at Juans look and glances at the direction the kids ran. ”You want it back, right?” Stupid Question, Finch.”Give me one second… try not to loose anything else.”

The Juicer darts around the corner, sprinting after the children. ”Hey!” Seamus reaches down as he runs towards the kids to pick up Some small stones. ”Hold up!” If he can get a bead on the kid in front of the small pack, he will attempt to toss the rock at the kids feet, trying to trip him up.

”I’m faster than you kid, don’t make this more difficult than it has to be. For either of us”(2 intimidate). ”Tell you what, Give me back the mans amulet, and We will pretend I can’t find any more rocks, ok?” He tosses the pebble inhis hand lazily.

Concerning rolls:
1. Called Shot with small stone: 1d20+13 = 23
2. Intimidate vs 20%:1d100 = 49

If necessary, concerning actions:
Initiative: 1d20+9 = 26
Action 1: Move up to 400 yards to catch up to kids
Action 2: Grab stone
Action 3: Called Shot with small stone
Action 4: Called shot with small stone
Action 5: Close the distance (move up to 400 yards) to catch up to kids
Action 6: Attempt to intimidate

Auto-Dodge
1d20+10 = 24 | 1d20+10 = 26 | 1d20+10 = 26 | 1d20+10 = 24 | 1d20+10 = 11 | 1d20+10 = 23
Seamus Finch

Seamus Finch
HP:43/43
SDC:106/106

Armor M.D.C.:
Helmet: 30/30 | Body:38/38
Right Arm: 18/18 | Left Arm:18/18
Right Leg:24/24 | Left Leg:24/24
User avatar
Seamus Finch
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:09 pm

Re: Side jobs

Postby Mouser » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:20 pm

Perception 92%: 1d100 = 62
JIC:1d100 = 881d20 = 5

Mouser was both slightly uneasy and curious about the surroundings as he was lead into the Collegiate, or at least it's immediate surroundings. Magic was the kind of thing Mouser seriously struggled to understand much less deal with. It was the pure antithesis of it's very being in many ways. Much as, to an extent, he was to magic. Psionic abilities were probably a close second, though most of those at least had little effect on him, or otherwise had effects he could better understand when they did. Magic however was... illogical. It defied the laws of physics and nature itself as Mouser understood such things to be. The robot just follows along, oddly quiet for such a large, normally clanky kind of creation. Even though the robot was designed for stealth, it none the less let out the occasional mechanical noise or hiss of pistons and gears shifting and turning as it moved.

Once presented with the box, Mouser just stands there motionless, but far from idle. His electronic mind taking in all the details as best it could while also scanning with the various sensory systems available at it's disposal. "Please describe the nature of the item. Effects, appearance, additional details are required for proper identification confirmation." the robot expresses, finally breaking it's silence before turning it's head to look at Brogan. "This unit is uncertain if it can be of much assistance with magical artifacts. This unit has very few logged interactions with magic."

Initially, Mouser was mostly trying to tell what kind of crate it was, what material it was made of, how exactly the item had apparently disappeared from it's interior (Was it simply broken into, forced open etc).
Mouser's Sheet

M.D.C. by location:
• Head: 28
• Legs (4): 83
• Mini-Hand(2): 10
• Mini-Arms(2): 25
• Sensory Antenna (2): 6
• Tail: 28
• Main Body: 550

Constant Effects: Advanced Audio System with 80 Decibel Loudspeaker & Recorder, Motion Detector & Warning System, Micro Radar with Radar Detector, Molecular Analyzer & Explosives Detector, Radiation & Biometic Scanner, Environmental Protection, Gyro-Compass & Depth Gauge with Alarm, Bug Detector, Sound Analysis Computer, Wide Band Radio Receiver/Transmitter with Scrambling/Decoding

Vocal Output: Robotic/Gender Neutral
Combat Setting: Lethal response Authorized


Soundtrack:
Dead Can Dance -The End of Words
Blues Saraceno - Evil Ways (Justice Mix)
AWOLNATION - Kill your Heroes
Foreigner - Juke Box Hero
User avatar
Mouser
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: Rifts Earth: Roughnecks

Re: Side jobs

Postby Armstrong » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Seamus

With Seamus' speed, he is around the corner in a jiffy and with unerring aim, his shot strikes true, hitting the ankle of the girl in front. She collapses to the ground, but with barely a backwards glance, the other kids separate, each heading in a different direction.

As Seamus grabs and threatens the girl, who looks to be about ten, with dirty mousy blonde hair and a slender face, that does not look undernourished, she starts shouting

"Get off me, I don't have no amulet whatever one of them is" she shouts at Seamus, seemingly not too bothered by his scare tactics before she cries out to all the near and sundry "demon, demon!" The few residents who pay attention look like they have heard this before

Juan rushes around the corner, more at a fast paced walk than a run and strides up to Seamus with purpose

"Is this the one" he asks before moving his hand towards her.

"Oi, get your hands off," she cries out, "I don't have anything." As she cries out, Seamus spots her eyes dart off to one side where a youngish man, with messy light brown hair and clad in a hodgepodge suit of MDC armour stands in the entrance to alleyway, trying to be as unobtrusive as possible. Juan follows Seamus' gaze and spots the man also. Upon doing so, he gives a slight smile and signals for Seamus to let the girl go.

Provided Seamus lets her go, she scarpers off and the man turns back into the alley. Juan coughs and whispers to Seamus.

"One of the kids will have passed off the locket to him or one like him. Now we follow him and get it back from wherever he goes."

Juan tells you to stay behind him as he starts tailing the young man and unless Seamus does something to call attention to them, leads them to a dilapidated warehouse on the edge of the Warrens nearest the airport.

Mouser

Mouser wrote:"Please describe the nature of the item. Effects, appearance, additional details are required for proper identification confirmation." the robot expresses, finally breaking it's silence before turning it's head to look at Brogan. "This unit is uncertain if it can be of much assistance with magical artifacts. This unit has very few logged interactions with magic."


"The item is a bracer," Brogan explains in he/she/it's nasally voice, "length of a forearm to a normal sized person, though it is unknown if it might expand or shrink to the requirements of the wearer." Brogan tosses you a chip, which has an image of the item on it.

demonic bracer.jpg
demonic bracer.jpg (16.8 KiB) Viewed 1377 times


"Exactly what it does we do not know. That was what was one of the things the fool wanted to find out. From what one of our experts can discern, it does not appear to be a power artefact and finding it is less of a problem as we were able to scry his location in the Warrens. As demonic artefacts can sometimes have some effect of their owners, we are hoping your mechanical nature should provide some defense against that."

Brogan looks around and whispers to Mouser.
"Much of our strength is not here and we do not wish to call the attention of the Defenders to the item and have to explain the actions of our errant member. First priority is to retrieve the bracer and return it here as quietly as possible. If you are unable to retrieve the item, then ensure it's destruction. If you are able to record such action using your systems, that will be ample proof. For your time and discretion, we offer you 10k in credits, though if you wish to partake of our services, then that can be arranged.

Mouser wrote:Initially, Mouser was mostly trying to tell what kind of crate it was, what material it was made of, how exactly the item had apparently disappeared from it's interior (Was it simply broken into, forced open etc).


The crate itself does not appear to have been forcibly broken into, but there is a keypad on the outside. Perhaps the thief knew the code or unlocked it somehow.


If Mouser agrees, Brogan provides Mouser with an address in the Warrens.
Roughnecks AGM
User avatar
Armstrong
Assistant Game Master
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 am

Re: Side jobs

Postby Seamus Finch » Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 am

Perception vs 28%: 1d100 = 12
JIC:1d100 = 6|1d20 = 6

Seamus will let the child go as he catches eye of their handler, ignoring her squeals of protest.
Juan wrote:
"One of the kids will have passed off the locket to him or one like him. Now we follow him and get it back from wherever he goes."

”Lead the way boss, this is your show.” Seamus will quietly check the charge on his pistols e-clip. How big is this operation? Lets hope I have enough shots. And they don’t have any real armor… His final thought thinking to the mans armor.

Seamus fallows behind Juan as told, keeping an eye out for anyone who might be taking more notice to the duo than might be warranted. ”You wife give it to you?” Comon man, just stay quiet. Follow orders and keep your damn mouth shut ”The locket, I mean. That is if you have a wife. Daughter maybe?” Seamus stops talking as his brain finally catches up with his mouth.

When they arrive at the building, Seamus will peer around a corner, keeping cover while trying to get a bead on any happenings in the warehouse itself. ”So what’s the plan boss? Want me to go in and ask nicely?”They have a tank. Maybe two. There's enough room in there for tanks. Dammit Nightengale. How are we going to deal with tanks? The Juicers paranoia begins playing its usual rounds in the SAMAS Pilots head, only imagining the worst.
Seamus Finch

Seamus Finch
HP:43/43
SDC:106/106

Armor M.D.C.:
Helmet: 30/30 | Body:38/38
Right Arm: 18/18 | Left Arm:18/18
Right Leg:24/24 | Left Leg:24/24
User avatar
Seamus Finch
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:09 pm

Re: Side jobs

Postby Armstrong » Thu May 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Seamus Finch wrote:Seamus fallows behind Juan as told, keeping an eye out for anyone who might be taking more notice to the duo than might be warranted. ”You wife give it to you?” Comon man, just stay quiet. Follow orders and keep your damn mouth shut ”The locket, I mean. That is if you have a wife. Daughter maybe?” Seamus stops talking as his brain finally catches up with his mouth.


Juan stops for a second, his expression pained.
"It holds a picture of my daughter," is all the explanation he offers, as he starts off again after the man.

stock-photo-old-abandon-building-of-paperworks-in-kalety-poland-silesia-province-europe-143395798.jpg


As you watch, there are no obvious guards on the outside, but there is one on the roof, who periodically goes back inside. The man you are following knocks on the main warehouse door. It opens slightly and he slips inside.

You spot two obvious entrances; the main warehouse door and the rooftop entrance, but one of the windows on the first floor is open and well within your ability to reach with a running jump.
Juan touches your shoulder; "I want the locket back. Now, it is not worth enough to them for any disruption to their operations. They'll work for somebody, you could either deal with him direct or go after their stash, maybe find it."
Roughnecks AGM
User avatar
Armstrong
Assistant Game Master
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 am

Re: Side jobs

Postby Seamus Finch » Sun May 17, 2020 8:35 am

Perception vs 28%:1d100 = 52
JIC:1d100 = 13|1d20 = 7

”Get the picture of your daughter back. Got it.” HIS locket asshole. ”Don’t worry boss, Ill have that fancy trinket back in your position before you can say ‘Bob’s your uncle.’”What does that even mean? Seamus offers Luis an awkward salute (Coalition standard) before turning his attention back to the derelict building.

I really hope they don’t have any tanks in there. Seamus moves as the rooftop guard enters back into the building, heading in the general direction of his target, still making his mind up on how he wants to approach the situation. He will eye the face of the warehouse he can see, looking for any Junction boxes or fuse boxes (Electronics: Basic 1).

No one is watching the window genius, just sneak in, grab the locket and get out. Don’t make this messier than it needs to be. Seamus triple checks his pistol, and makes sure his spare e-clips are still on his belt where he last saw them, seconds ago.

If Seamus notices an electrical box, he will make his way over to it, open it and attempt to shut it down/disrupt the power flow (Electronics:Basic 2).

Whether or not Nightingale manages to disrupt any of the electricity in the building, the Juicer will make his way to the front door and bang on it loudly with the butt of his pistol before putting it back into its holster. I thought the plan was to slip in quietly through that open window. ”Shut up.” Seamus whispers angrily to himself, looking to where the window is; already regretting his decision. Alright, genius. Let’s do this your way. That always works out well.

Seamus ignores that nagging voice in his head and calls out loudly: ”Hey, You in there! I have a business proposition.” Seamus will slowly open the door, making sure to keep the majority of his body behind the side of the warehouse as he does so. If no shots are fired, he will peak his head around the doorframe and look into the building. ”It seems someone here has accidently picked up one of my employers belongings by accident.” Seamus will smile, still calling out into the dark if he hasn’t seen anyone yet.”I’m simply here to return the item to my boss. Did I mention that he knows it was an accident? And all he wants is it back?” Assuming no shots are fired, Seamus will take a tentative step into he building, his hands held empty and wide, in a nonthreatening position. ”He really made it clear that he didn’t want to escalate the situation beyond anything out of hand.” Seamus continues sheepishly.

Damn man, you are convincing. I would just hand it over. Who could resist such a coercive introduction? This whole illicit operation is going to see the reason in your words and just do what you ask. Seamus growls at himself, wondering how his own inner monologue could sound sarcastic.

Concerning Rolls:
1. Let’s find a breaker box!: Electronics: Basic VS 40%:1d100 = 45
2. Let’s turn off the breaker box!: Electronics: Basic VS 40%:1d100 = 62
3. Let’s try our best to be diplomatic as we say hi!: Invoke Trust/Intimidate vs 20%:1d100 = 91
Auto-Dodge JIC
1d20+10 = 22| 1d20+10 = 30| 1d20+10 = 23| 1d20+10 = 20| 1d20+10 = 15| 1d20+10 = 25
Seamus Finch

Seamus Finch
HP:43/43
SDC:106/106

Armor M.D.C.:
Helmet: 30/30 | Body:38/38
Right Arm: 18/18 | Left Arm:18/18
Right Leg:24/24 | Left Leg:24/24
User avatar
Seamus Finch
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:09 pm

Re: Side jobs

Postby Armstrong » Sat May 23, 2020 2:48 pm

Seamus moves, zipping across the open ground in mere seconds. You scan the building with your eyes as you move, looking for junction boxes, but wherever they are, they are either not in your eyesight or because you are moving too fast.

Seamus Finch wrote:the Juicer will make his way to the front door and bang on it loudly with the butt of his pistol before putting it back into its holster.


There is no immediate response to your banging on the door.

Seamus Finch wrote:Seamus ignores that nagging voice in his head and calls out loudly: ”Hey, You in there! I have a business proposition.”


He tries to open the door, but even with his Juicer enhanced strength, it does not budge. It is only when just above the door, a small rounded object moves slightly that you realise that you are being observed.

After a moment, the door audibly unlocks and you tentatively slide it open. Inside, the area is dark, but what little is illuminated by the sunlight outside suggests there is a conveyor belt running away from you. It is not currently active.

Seamus Finch wrote:”It seems someone here has accidently picked up one of my employers belongings by accident.” Seamus will smile, still calling out into the dark if he hasn’t seen anyone yet.”I’m simply here to return the item to my boss. Did I mention that he knows it was an accident? And all he wants is it back?” Assuming no shots are fired, Seamus will take a tentative step into he building, his hands held empty and wide, in a nonthreatening position. ”He really made it clear that he didn’t want to escalate the situation beyond anything out of hand.” Seamus continues sheepishly.


"Hold right there," a voice, male you think, calls out from near where you think the rear might be, "loose the piece before you come inside, but not too far."

If Seamus drops his pistol and steps inside, the voice calls out again.

"Now tell me what is so important about these frakking bracers?" the voice demands.
Roughnecks AGM
User avatar
Armstrong
Assistant Game Master
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 am

Re: Side jobs

Postby Seamus Finch » Mon May 25, 2020 10:17 am

Perception vs 28%:1d100 = 49
JIC:1d100 = 81|1d20 = 3
voice wrote: "Loose the piece before you come inside, but not too far."


Seamus pauses for a moment, squinting into the darkness. They have a tank pointed right at me. Maybe two.”Alright, but remember I am just a courier, right? Here to deliver a message and retrieve my employers item.”

Seamus will slowly unholster his pistol with two fingers. He will gently lay it on the ground, out of sight of the inside of the building and stand up again, hands raised. You just willingly gave up your only weapon. And now you are going to walk into a dark warehouse full of who knows how many tanks. Really smart Seamus.. The Juicer bites his cheek in self-annoyance as he walks in slowly, arms held wide.

voice wrote: "Now tell me what is so important about these frakking bracers?"


Seamus frowns, forgets his situation, and drops one hand, bringing the other up to scratch his head. ”Bracers? Guy, I have no idea what you are on about. I am here for a locket one of your urchins picked off my boss. Keep your bracers, garters, and bell-skirts. All I need to be out of your hair is one family heirloom. One amulet with a picture inside. No clothing at all.” Seamus runs a little flat at the end as the situation makes itself apparent to the Juicer once again. He raises his hand feebily.”sir.” They are going to shoot their tanks at me now. I wonder if Luis has any tanks. He seems to have some money. Maybe he needs a bodyguard full-time. If I survive I’ll ask- about his tanks too.

Seamus tries to get a bead on his surroundings now that he is inside the warehouse. Hopefully, the few moments inside the building allowed some adapted to the light differences.

Continuing to try and be polite: Invoke Trust vs 20%:1d100 = 24
Auto-Dodge JIC
1d20+10 = 17| 1d20+10 = 18| 1d20+10 = 24| 1d20+10 = 29| 1d20+10 = 18| 1d20+10 = 14
Seamus Finch

Seamus Finch
HP:43/43
SDC:106/106

Armor M.D.C.:
Helmet: 30/30 | Body:38/38
Right Arm: 18/18 | Left Arm:18/18
Right Leg:24/24 | Left Leg:24/24
User avatar
Seamus Finch
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:09 pm

Re: Side jobs

Postby Armstrong » Sun May 31, 2020 2:04 pm

"Good boy," the voice says as Seamus drops his pistol before Seamus reveals why he is here. There is a silence for a few moment and Seamus hears some shuffling in the darkness, coupled with some loud whispering.

"A locket?" comes the confused response eventually, "let me get this straight, you have come here looking for a locket? I'm not in the habit of looking for lost items, but if we were to find it, what would our finder's fee be?"

Though Seamus cannot make out where the voice is coming from, he can see a soft reddish glow starting to appear.
Roughnecks AGM
User avatar
Armstrong
Assistant Game Master
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 am


Return to The Roughnecks Adventure Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest