Margaret (Human, Chromium Guardsman)

Merctown Armored Recon Services: A multipurpose small unit built around the idea of reconnaissance, infiltration, retrieval (of persons or items), and information and intelligence gathering.
GM: OPEN
AGM: OPEN
#6 POST RATE

Moderators: Game Masters, Group Leaders

Margaret (Human, Chromium Guardsman)

Postby Margaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:43 am

Player Name: Floof
G-Mail: themagicliopleurodon@gmail.com
Link to Ledger: Floof's Ledger

Character Name: 2nd Lt. Margaret Morin, Northern Eagle Military Alliance
Alias: Marge (Nickname), Large Marge (Callsign)
Race: Human
O.C.C.: Chromium Guardsman (Chaos Earth)
Alignment: Scrupulous
XP Level: 3
XP Points: 4,201
Next Level @ XP: 8,401
Sentiments/Non-Humans: Everyone's a person, but don't blame me for being wary if you look like trouble. Monsters come in all forms, too, ugly or pretty.
Sentiments/Coalition: I get it. Humanity's really got their backs against the wall, but it makes me sad to see what they've done with NEMA's good image. They remind me a lot of some other bad cats from way back deep in history, tragic nobody remembers them anymore. History really does repeat.
Disposition: Pragmatic. Not a downer but tries to be a realist. Margaret lives in the moment and keeps to herself because she feels nobody understands her past. It's easier to say she's a professional Glitter Boy pilot who inherited Stu than tell the truth.
Insanity: None

ATTRIBUTES
I.Q.: 28
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 13
P.S.: 23
P.P.: 25
P.E.: 20
P.B.: 11
Speed: 23

PHYSICAL DATA
H.P.: 17
S.D.C.: 49
Sex: Female
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Description: Margaret is small but very athletic. Some people might even call her muscle bound, so she's heavier than she looks! She has short brown hair and ice blue eyes.

Natural Abilities
Perception: 21%
Charm/Impress: 15%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 35%
Max. Encumbrance: 55 lbs.
Max. Carrying Weight: 380 lbs.
Max. Lifting Weight: 760 lbs.
Max. Jumping Ability: 15.5' across & 6.25' up

Special Abilities (Modifiers & Bonuses already added where they apply)
Fortune & Glory - Fortune Favors the Bold: One Lucky. S.O.B.: +3 to all saves
Fortune & Glory - A Mighty Weapon: Double Range of Arkhon TB-9 Auto-Pistol
Fortune & Glory - A Mighty Weapon: Trademark Weapon, +2 to Heavy M.D. Weapons
Fortune & Glory - A Mighty Weapon: This Is My Boom Stick, Arkhon TB-9 Auto-Pistol
Fortune & Glory - Smart & learned: Bonus to IQ
Fortune & Glory - Strong & Tough: Bonus to PS

Bionics & Cybernetics
Head & Neck
  • NEMA Identification Implant (back of neck)
  • Gyro Compass & Clock Calendar (back of neck)
Left Ear
  • Headjack w/Sound Filter

O.C.C. Skills
Pilot: Robots and Power Armor 82% (+3%)
Robot (and Power Armor) Combat: Elite: Chromium Guardsman
Pilot: Hovercycles, Skycycles & Rocket Bikes 100% (+3%)
Pilot: Hover Craft (Ground) 84% (+5%)
Sensory Equipment 64% (+5%)
Weapon Systems 74% (+5%)
W.P. Heavy Military Weapons
W.P. Heavy M.D. Weapons
Mathematics: Basic 102% (+5%)
Language: (Native) American 104% (+1%)
Language: French 90% (+3%)
Literacy: French 80% (+5%)
Law: General 65% (+5%)
Military Etiquette 79% (+5%)
Radio: Basic 79% (+5%)
First Aid 74% (+5%)
Running
W.P. Rifles
W.P. Energy Pistol
W.P. Energy Rifle
Hand to Hand: Martial Arts

O.C.C. Related Skills
Detect Ambush 54% (+5%)
Prowl 59% (+5%)
Climbing 71% (+5%)
Gymnastics
--Sense of Balance 74% (+3%)
--Work Parallel Bars & Rings 80% (+3%)
--Back Flip 94% (+2%)
--Climb Rope/Rappel 74% (+2%)
Boxing (1st level)

Secondary Skills
General Athletics
W.P. Sword

Combat Data
HTH Type: Martial Arts
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +1
Strike Bonus: +7
Parry Bonus: +11
Dodge Bonus: +11
HTH Damage Bonus: +8
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +7
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +5
Bonus to Disarm: --

Robot Combat Data: Chromium Guardsman
Number of Attacks: 8
Initiative Bonus: +3
Melee Strike Bonus: +9
Ranged Strike Bonus: +2 to strike w/Boom Gun + W.P. Heavy M.D. Weapons Bonuses (Currently +3, total of +5)
Parry Bonus: +13
Dodge Bonus: +13
HTH Damage Bonus: --
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +10
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +9
Bonus to Disarm: +1

Weapon Proficiencies
Aimed Shots: +3 to Strike Bonus (costs 2 actions)
Burst Shots: +1 to Strike Bonus
Called/Aimed Shots: +3 to Strike Bonus, 12+ Strike Roll Required (costs 3 actions)
Melee Called Shots: No bonus to Strike, No extra action cost

W.P. Energy Pistol -- +2 to strike
W.P. Energy Rifle -- +2 to strike
W.P. Rifles -- +2 to strike
W.P. Heavy Military Weapons -- +2 to strike
W.P. Heavy M.D. Weapons -- +3 to strike
W.P. Sword -- +2 to strike, +1 to parry

Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: -- 10%
Magic (varies): -- +6
Lethal Poison (14+): -- +6
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): -- +6
Insanity (12+): --- +4
Psionics (15+): -- +4
Horror Factor (varies): -- +3
Anything else: +3 (Fortune and Glory, One Lucky S.O.B.)
Last edited by Margaret on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:55 am, edited 47 times in total.
Margaret

Re: Margaret (Chromium Guardsman) WIP

Postby Margaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:43 am

Equipment

Instructions:
  • Items which have stats have their name in bold type.
  • Items which have stats or images are fully listed under Gear Stats.
  • As such, there should be no stats or images above the Gear Stats header.

Allocate your items into the categories listed in green!

USA-G10 Chromium Guardsman

Carried/In Hand
Backpack

Worn on Person
Underclothes
Overclothes
Non-Secure Black Card: 4,000 credits

Utility Belt
Attachment points can be utilized to carry 1 each of the following item types: sidearm, magazine, E-clip, grenade, canteen, food ration pack, minor items or individual tools.
• Attachment: NEMA Automag Pistol
• Attachment: Arkhon TB-9 Auto-Pistol - Loaded, 1 Arkhon E-Clip
• Attachment: Automag magazine, spare
• Attachment: Canteen

Backpack
The backpack is padded, sealable, and lightly armored. Internal space can be utilized to carry a variety of items. Internal capacity is 30" long, 18" wide, and 6" deep. Items larger than a grenade will require more than one space.
• Space: Automag magazine, spare
• Space: Automag magazine, spare
• Space: NG High Explosive Grenade
• Space: NG Smoke Grenade
• Space: Survival Knife
• Space: Air Filter & Gas Mask
• Space: Uniform
• Space: Dress Uniform
• Space: Canteen
• Space: 2 Flares

Stored in Chromium Guardsman (4 items)

Gear Stats
Joyse's Magic Die (Patron Item)
An ancient-looking one inch square die depicting water fowl and a number of pips on each facing.
Unique Enchanted Item
S.D.C.: Indestructible
Magic Features
  • 1. Once per day, the owner can call upon the power of the die to grant a modifier of -2 to +2 to any die roll.
  • 2. Once per day, the owner can call upon the power of the die to grant a re-roll of any one die roll.
  • 3. Once per day, the owner can call upon the power of the die to negate one Critical Failure.
    • This depletes the die for the rest of the day, and it may no longer be used until the next sun-up.
Curse: The owner gradually becomes more reliant on luck, and may develop a gambling problem.
History: This die enters the historical record in the possession of an inscrutable figure known only as the "Dark Lord of the game table" in the Western Empire at the height of that Empire's decadence who amassed a fortune in the salons of the elite and came to a predictably bad end in the taverns of the lowly.

NG Smoke Grenade
  • Range: 120' thrown
  • Damage: creates a smoke screen that covers a 40' AoE

NG High Explosive Grenade
  • Range: 120' thrown
  • Damage: 3D4 M.D. to a 6' AoE

NEMA Automag Pistol
  • Range: 200'
  • Damage: 5D6 or 1D6x10 per burst
  • Rate of Fire: Single shots & 3-round bursts only
  • Payload: 18 round magazine
  • Weight: 1.6 lbs.
  • Features: W.P. Handguns
  • Modifiers: +2 to strike on aimed shots
  • Book Reference: p.53-54, CE

Arkhon TB-9 Auto-Pistol
  • Range: 2,400' (Original: 1,200', doubled from Patron bonus)
  • Damage: 8D6 M.D. (4D6 M.D. vs. force fields & cerasteel armor)
  • Rate of Fire: Single shots only
  • Payload: 30 shots per Arkhon E-clip
  • Weight: 5 lbs.
  • Features: None
  • Modifiers: None
  • Book Reference: p.80, WB9

USA-G10 Chromium Guardsman
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Boom Gun: 175
  • *Head: 290
  • *Hands (2): 100 each
  • Arms (2): 270 each
  • Legs (2): 450 each
  • Reinforced Pilot's Compartment: 150
  • Main Body: 770
* Requires a called shot at -4 to strike
Statistical Data:
Running: 60 mph max. (-90% to fatigue rate)
Leaping: 12' high or across, +10' with a running start; up to 80' with thruster assist
Underwater Capabilities: 15 mph in/under water; walk on bottom at 25% speed; Max Depth: 1 mile
Class: Laser Resistant Infantry Personnel Assault Unit
Crew: 1 pilot
Dimensions: 10'5" tall, 4'4" wide, 4' long, 1.2 tons
Physical Strength: Robotic P.S. 30
Cargo: 4 small items
Power System: Nuclear; 25 year life
Weapon Systems:
RG-14 Rapid Acceleration Electromagnetic Rail Gun:
  • Range: 11,000'
  • Damage: 3D6x10 M.D.
  • Rate of Fire: single shots only
  • Payload: 1,000 round canister (see entry for reloading)
  • Weight: 867 lbs.
Hand to Hand Combat: as per Robotic P.S. 30
  • Running Leap Kick: 4D6 M.D. (3 APM)
  • Tear or Pry with Hands (Special): 1D6 M.D.
  • Body Block/Ram: 2D4 M.D.
  • Full Speed Running Ram: 3D6 M.D. (3 APM)
  • Stomp: 1D6 M.D. (>3')
  • Pylon Impalement: 1D6 M.D.
Features of Note:
  • All standard features common to powered armor (p.271, R:UE)
  • Laser Resistant Armor: resistant to laser attacks (1/2 damage)
  • Optical Systems: telescopic, passive nightvision, thermal-imaging, infrared, ultraviolet, & polarization (2,000')
  • Advanced Laser Targeting
  • Self-Destruct Mechanism
  • Distress Homing Beacon
  • +2 to strike w/Boom Gun
  • Boom Gun discharge without stabilization results in 30' knockback
  • Sonic Boom Range: 200' AoE from epicenter
  • Sonic Boom Effect: deafened for 2D4 minutes (-8 to initiative, -3 to parry and dodge; 1/2 if in EBA or vehicle)
[/list]
Modifiers: None
Book Reference: p.89-91, CE
Last edited by Margaret on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:56 am, edited 12 times in total.
Margaret

Re: Margaret (Chromium Guardsman) WIP

Postby Margaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:44 am

Background Story

Displaying File: Personal Log, 2nd Lt Margaret Morin
Warning: File is damaged.
Attempting repair...
Failed.
Retrying...
Please Wait.
Estimated Time Remaining: 54 Years, 3 Days, 1 Hour, 55 Minutes, 10 seconds.
Repair canceled.
Displaying recoverable entries ordered by date, oldest to newest.

December 5th, 2098:

I'm so excited I get to go home for Christmas! I haven't seen Mom and Dad since before armor school! The last time we got to talk, I told them that I'd made it into NEMA's power armor corps. They were so proud of me. I was proud of me. The dog was even proud of me! I've never wanted to do anything more than this in my whole life. I've been into VR piloting since forever, and they told me it would never amount to anything! The people in my classes said armor school was the hardest training they've had yet, but they had to read manuals just to get a Gunbuster started and the reactor to full power. It's been three months of watching them trip over their own feet, miss what they were shooting at, and worse. It's about time to graduate and put in requests, and I'm going to ask for Silver Eagle assignment. Maybe they'll let me fly one home. Hah. I wish.

December 9th, 2098:

There's something brewing in South America. Holovision won't shut up about politics and territories. I hate politics. There is nothing down there worth fighting over, but nationalism is going to cost lives. It's all about stupid pride.

December 10th, 2098:

Things are really heating up in South America. It looks like they are really going to go at it. We haven't had a significant war in forever.

December 11th, 2098:

Oh, my God. I didn't get the Silver Eagle. That was the first thing my CO told me. I must have looked gutted because he told me to let him finish, and I hadn't even said anything. I'm graduating third in my class, and I've been assigned to the Guardsman! Seriously! Me! This is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

December 13th, 2098:

I got to meet him for the first time today. He's ten-foot five, weighs a ton and a quarter, and he's really loud. I'm going to name him Stu.

December 14th, 2098:

God, I forgot about Christmas. There's no Mom anymore, no Dad, no dog. Just Stu. I'm smitten. I'm so in love.

December 15th, 2098:

Stuff's really heating up in South America. They are showing holovids of Chromium Guardsmen down there. It's like something out of the really old holovids. Before there was holovision, I mean. Guardsmen were strutting around with red flags and military music and marching. That regime is a lousy throwback in every way.

December 18th, 2098:

Oh my God, they really are going to go at it down there. USA-10's against unarmored infantry and light APCs.

December 19th, 2098:

They really did go at it. Holovids are saying 12,000 dead, and Guada Marta is gone. Twelve Guardsmen. Why'd we let them have those machines? That's not how it's supposed to be. I think Stu's upset.

December 20th, 2098:

Training's going well. I think I can walk and get the pylons down without tipping over! Maybe they'll let me fire the railgun soon!

December 21st, 2098:

They're talking about nukes. It's all over the holovids. Nukes! What is this, 1965? Guardsmen were goose-stepping around carrying flags with stars, and now they are talking nukes.

December 22nd, 2098:

I can't wait to go home. The mood's weird here.

December 23rd, 2098:

Oh, my God. They did it. They really did it. We've been recalled to base. Not that I was going anywhere anyway, all leave's been canceled. There's a mass recall order for anyone in the service.

December 23rd, 2098:

I guess I'm really not going home. New York's gone. I sound crazy saying it. I can't believe me saying it, and I know it's true. I haven't processed it yet. Mom's gone. Dad's gone. The dog's gone. Lady Lib's gone. The Staten Island Ferry's gone. Everyone I knew is gone. A tidal wave or something, I guess. The base has gone crazy. Everyone that can be mobilized has left, and there's some kind of communications blackout. Stu and I are on guard duty. I've never even fired a shot before, and they have us on guard duty. Stu's ammo is real too.
Trying not to think about home.

December 24th, 2098:

Bunch of wounded were brought back. They looked chewed up. Their armor looked worse. CO won't tell us anything about what happened. Still, I haven't had any time to grieve, and it is keeping me sane. I'll collapse when I have time. I've been up for twenty-four hours. Last night there was the most god awful ruckus. Sky's gone dark. Heard someone say Yellowstone went up.

What's going on? This can't be happening. This can't be real. They are telling us the whole east coast is gone, the west coast is being buried under lava and ashfall. We're pretty safe here in Kansas. Stu and I are training as hard as we can to get up to speed.

December 25th, 2098:

It's Christmas. I miss my Mom and Dad. I can't believe they are gone. People were talking about God today at chow. How can anyone have faith at a time like this?

It's got to be the end of the world. The Apocalypse. Doomsday. Two days ago everything was fine, and now we're at the end of time.

"Then the first angel sounded his trumpet, and hail and fire mixed with blood were hurled down upon the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, along with a third of the trees and all of the green grass."

I'm watching the ash fall through Stu's eyes. HUD says the temperature is going down too. It's going to be a cold day in hell, I guess.

Merry Christmas.

December 26th, 2098:

Stu and I are redeploying. We're leaving Kansas and heading for Montana up near the Canadian border. Convoy's heading out tonight, we're traveling on foot, and by road transport, because there is so much ash in the air, it's not safe to fly.

December 27th, 2098:

We walked for ten hours today, and we barely made it north of Omaha.

The highways are all clogged with cars and trucks that won't run anymore, and it's slow going. We have to move the vehicles away with our armor so our transports can get through. People are asking for help. They don't have much food or water, and they don't know where to go.

This one kid asked me or asked Stu, I guess if I was going to save him.

I wanted to say, Kid, I can't save you or me from any of this. Living a little longer is all we can do.

December 28th, 2098:

Something jumped us just outside of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Now I really am convinced it's the end of the world. Don't know what it was. More legs than I had time to count and tore one of our transports in half. Shat out a bunch of acid over what was left of it, and there went half our food supplies and spare parts.
One of our Gunbusters got chewed up too. That's the first time Stu's ever shot in anger. That kid was there again, the family's been following our convoy. He said he knew Stu and I'd protect them. Couldn't tell him that's the first time I ever shot the rail gun in anything but a simulator.

I've accepted that this is real. It's not a dream, and it isn't going to go away.

December 29th, 2098:

We've made it over the border into Montana. The ashfall is just about impossible. I don't know why they are sending us this way at all.

The wind's picked up, and the temperature is way down. It's tough going. Everywhere we go, there are desperate people. I gave half my rations today to the kid.

He couldn't believe I was a woman when I stepped out of Stu to take a little walk. I'm starting to cramp up pretty bad.

The guys that brought up God in the mess hall awhile back, God, that seems like months ago, they're talking about it again. If it's the end of the world, why are they staying on? One guy's got family in New Orleans that's all gone but the other guy, he's got folks in Wyoming. I caught them talking about heading off for there.

I should tell our CO, but I'm keeping it to myself. I can't blame them. If I still had family, I'd want to be with them at the end too.

December 30th, 2098:

We were attacked again today. Flying bugs with guns. Barely made it 30 miles. Lost the kid and his family and two more of our Gunbusters. Just me and Stu, one transport, four gunbusters, and the CO's Eagle.

December 31st, 2098:

Today it was zombies. Zombies. I'm not making this up. The farther north we go, the worse it's getting. Zombies, gun bugs, and ash up to Stu's knees. We haven't even seen anyone alive today.

The town of Glendive, Montana, is deserted. Mostly buried in ash drifts. We're out of food, but we raided some empty houses for supplies. The God squad is talking about leaving tomorrow.

CO says he'll shoot them if they go. We were ordered north, he says, so we go north.

January 1st, 2099:

Happy New Year from Hell.

We made it as far as Miles City, Montana this morning. Map says ten thousand people are supposed to be here, and we can't find anyone alive. Most of the city looks burned in a fire, and what people survived that were killed off by God knows what.

Sat communications are down, so is GPS and every form of navigation besides maps and compass. The CO told the God Squad he wasn't going to ask anyone to stay anymore. If they wanted to head for Wyoming, they could. Three of the Gunbusters left. God squad.

Where's God now?

January 2nd, 2099:

Got the first radio we've heard in days. Pretty garbled and messy, but Stu and I cleaned it up some. General Sawyer took a bunch of people from Atlanta to Chicago. Chi-Town sounds like it's doing okay.

Talked it over with the CO. Found a library that still had old school maps. It looks like it's a thousand miles to Chi-Town. Guess we're going to start walking. We're leaving the transport behind, the ash is getting too deep for it anyway. Just me and Stu, the CO's Silver Eagle that can't fly in this crap and a Gunbuster. We found some black spraypaint and hit Stu with it, hated to do it, but he's a walking sign saying hey come eat me in all of this black ash.

Really hurt to cover him up. Feels like giving up.

January 5th, 2099:

We made it pretty deep into North Dakota in the last few days. We're almost to Minnesota. We've been traveling mostly at night to keep out of the way of God knows what. We haven't seen anyone else left alive for a couple days. It looks like everyone who wasn't protected was either eaten right away or choked out by the ash. We've been walking towards a blue glow on the horizon for days.

I don't know what it is. Geiger counter hasn't gone up, though, so it's probably as safe as anything else here.

CO's Eagle is starting to act up a bit. We're going to try to find a garage or something where we can get out of the ash and get it all cleaned up.

January 6th. 2099:

How do you describe a line of electricity that goes on for miles? It's like a spark that doesn't end. Crackling and gorgeous blue. Glowing. High as the stars. I'm standing by one.

Stu's sensors say it's okay. You can touch it and walk through it. It's kinda reassuring. It hasn't killed us yet.

Unknown:

It tried to kill us, and I don't know where I am.

Unknown:

I'm still in North Dakota. Lake Sakakawea is still where it's supposed to be. The land's changed. We got jumped by something we couldn't see. It killed the CO and had started on the Gunbuster. Just looked like a blur on thermal, and I was shooting, and the next thing I know, me and Stu are here.

Where's here?

Unknown:

Got jumped by some guys in armor. Did what I had to do.

Unknown:

Jumped again. I didn't recognize any of their equipment at all.

Unknown:

Trade caravan came by. One guy's driving a big rig hovercraft, one guy's got a big rig trailer pulled by giant bugs. Guess Guardsmen are called Glitter Boys here.

Wherever here is.

They are on their way to someplace called Merc Town. Had them show me a map, and it looks like it's in Kentucky.

I don't trust anyone. How can I?

Unknown:

Been traveling with the traders, Joe and Connie, for a couple weeks now. Stu's covered up and command-locked only to me because if we get caught with him, we're goners.

Unknown:

We got jumped again. Guess being jumped is a way of life for people here. Here, so far as I can tell, it seems like it's the future.

Unknown:

Guess it really is the future. I can't laugh and say I'm crazy because I was shooting at zombies and flying bugs a few weeks ago. Stu's holding up fine.

Unknown:

So this is Merc Town. Is this what I am now? Just a mercenary? How do I survive when I don't know a thing about where I am?

Unknown:

Signed on with another trader. I got a good explanation of what happened to me. Guess 'Rifts' aren't uncommon, and the endless land spark AKA ley line we were traveling on was asking for it to happen.

Unknown:

I've got a few more contracts under my belt. I think I'm doing okay.

Unknown:

Wow. According to Stu's clock, it's almost Christmas again. I'm surprised to see they still celebrate it in this world. It's not religious anymore, I guess, just a time to be with your friends and family. I'm calling myself blessed. I've still got friends. Stu's doing fine, I'm doing fine. There are places to do good in this world. Seems like people still look up to Glitter Boys like they did Chromium Guardsmen.

Stu and I can still make a difference. This isn't home, but whatever hell is home isn't going to do it for me either.

Guess we'll make the best of it.

Unknown: (IQ Attribute Boost)
I'm thinking about Anthony today. That would be the kid who's family shadowed us through South Dakota and Montana. One of the many, many things he asked me (kids and their endless questions), was why did I become a soldier? He looked so surprised when I told him that if I had listened to everyone else and followed the path they had in mind for me, I'd have done something safer.
I tested at 170 IQ as a child. My mother and father had every intention that I'd turn out to be a great scientist. I was told from pre-school to high-school that I was special and that I was gifted. I was offered scholarships to MIT, Columbia, Dartmouth, and Stanford.
Every advisor that I spoke with said I should go learn and then go teach so I could share my gift with everyone else. Go do this and go do that, and not once did anyone ask me what I wanted. I tried to please my parents and everyone else and be a good girl while I was growing up, so I could be an adult and make my own decisions. Now, there I was on the doorstep of being an adult, and they were still trying to decide my life for me.
So, I didn't tell anyone, not even my parents, that I'd received a full-ride scholarship to NEMA's brand new Military Academy in Topeka. I just made my first big girl's decision and shipped out. My parents were gutted and didn't understand when I just left, but I wanted to be a Silver Eagle pilot, and I knew if I told them they'd stop me.
They caught me when I was leaving anyway, and there was a big blow-up about it. Dad told me that I was just going to throw my life away and that I wasn't a stupid jarhead who ought to play with guns. The irony that the path I chose, and a strange twist of fate led me to survive an apocalypse isn't lost on me, and I think about Dad's words every day.

Unknown: (ME Attribute boost)
Still thinking about Anthony. We did our best to save him and his parents, we'd told them it was a bad idea to follow us and that we were going to attract the wrong kind of attention. They should have gone home or gone to one of the shelters, but would it have really made that much of a difference anyway? They'd still have been dead within hours or days, weeks at the most, choked by ash, thirst, or shot by bugs. It's all the same, I guess. The kid was brave to the last, braver than some real soldiers I've seen. I tell myself he didn't know what hit him when the bug got him, he'd already lost his eardrums from Stu's cannon.

Unknown: (Fortune and Glory Roll, Smart & Learned)
I guess I'll finish the story I told Anthony.

I loved NEMA Academy because they were the first institution I'd ever been to that challenged me. When they realized I could do basic stuff, they gave me more. I'd been bored in school, and these people refused to let me be bored.

After my first year, I had to decide what I wanted to do. Someone high up had it in mind I should be a Field Engineer, and kept throwing up roadblocks for me to get into pilot school. Classes kept being mysteriously full, and my requests for open slots took forever to process, so by the time they were done, they were full anyway.
I knew I was being herded, my parents did the same thing to me, but I didn't know what to do about it. I'd done all the right stuff, aced classes and PT, competed in all of the sports they wanted, but I still couldn't get any momentum going to do what I wanted.

So, my grades took a beating because I was frustrated and uninspired. They were still good, well above averages, but bad for me, and I was called in to talk to my supervisor about what was wrong. Long story short, he was a fighter pilot long before NEMA ever existed. He asked me, "Margaret, you can be covered in grease for the rest of your life, or you can have people scrubbing the grease off the deck before you walk on it. I've seen your test scores, one path is going to be a lot easier for you than the other. What do you want?"

I told him that I'd been following an academic path up until now and that I'd come to NEMA to do something different. I wanted to become a pilot, and I'd do what I needed to do to make it one.

"Good, because being a tech is for people who can't handle it on the front lines. Pilots are hard to train, harder to find, and that's why you have dozens of techs supporting one of them. They're all good folks, every one of them, but they are a dime a dozen. Do you think I want a pilot that gives up because she's having a hard time in school?"

I got the message, and I did better. Doing what you want will always be more work than the path of least resistance.

I qualified for NEMA's armor school program, still chasing my Silver Eagle.

"I'm a soldier because that's who I want to be, Anthony. I stopped playing it safe and doing what everyone else wanted me to do. You've got to chase who you are, not who you are supposed to be, even when it's hard."

Good Kid. He deserved better.

Chromium Guardsman
1 0,000 - 2,100
2 2,101 - 4,200
3 4,201 - 8,400
4 8,401 - 17,200
5 17,201 - 25,400
6 25,401 - 35,800
7 35,801 - 51,000
8 51,001 - 71,200
9 71,201 - 96,400
10 96,401 - 131,600
11 131,601 - 181,800
12 181,801 - 232,000
13 232,001 - 282,200
14 282,201 - 342,400
15 342,401 - 402,600
Last edited by Margaret on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:34 am, edited 13 times in total.
Margaret

Re: Margaret (Human, Chromium Guardsman)

Postby Margaret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:39 am

Post character generation upgrades, 10/28/2019:
35-Milestone Reward: (3 EP) Roll on the Fortune and Glory Table (Unclaimed):
Category: 1d10 = 1 - A Mighty Weapon
Sub Category: 1d4 = 1
Trademark Weapon: Add a +2 bonus to Strike, Parry, and Dodge (as applicable) to any one W.P. already known by your character.

Purchased Fortune and Glory Roll:
Category 1d10 = 10 - Fortune Favors the Bold
Sub Category: 1d4 = 4
One Lucky S.O.B. - +3 to All Saves

Purchased Fortune and Glory Roll #2:
Category 1d10 = 7 - Strong and Tough
Sub Category: 1d8 = 3
Receive a +2D4 Attribute Boost to P.S.
Roll: 2d4 = 4

Purchased Fortune and Glory Roll #3:
Category 1d10 = 1 - A Mighty Weapon
Sub Category: 1d4 = 3 - Double the range of any one Pistol or Rifle your character currently possesses due to extensive customization

Purchased Fortune and Glory Roll #4:
Category 1d10 = 1 - Smart and Learned
Sub Category: 1d6 = 6 - Receive a +2D4 Attribute Boost to I.Q.
Roll: 2d4 = 4

Purchased Fortune and Glory Roll 5: (5 EP) 1 Roll on a Fortune and Glory Sub-Table of your choosing (see link for restrictions) - A Mighty Weapon
Roll: 1d4 = 4 - This Is My Boom Stick

Category - Smart and Learned
Sub Category: - Receive a +2D4 Attribute Boost to I.Q.
Roll:

PP: 25-Milestone Reward: (5 EP) Attribute Boost (applicable to attributes 16+, +1D6)
Roll: 1d6 = 6

IQ: (1 EP) Attribute Boost (applicable to attributes under 16, +1D6)
Roll: 1d6 = 6

ME: (1 EP) Attribute Boost (applicable to attributes under 16, +1D6)
Roll: 1d6 = 1

PE: (1 EP) Attribute Boost (applicable to attributes under 16, +1D6)
Roll: 1d6 = 5

IQ: #11 Purchase & Spend on IQ: (3 EP) Attribute Boost (applicable to attributes 16+, +1D6)
Roll: 1d6 = 3

Summary:
IQ: +13
PP: +6
PS: +4
PE: +5
ME: +1
+3 to all saves
+2 to Strike, Parry and Dodge to any one W.P. (Not Picked Yet)
Double the range of any one Pistol or Rifle your character currently possesses due to extensive customization (NEMA Rifle)

Updated Statistics:
I.Q.: 28
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 13
P.S.: 23
P.P.: 25
P.E.: 20
P.B.: 11
Speed: 23
Margaret

Return to M.A.R.S. (Independent, 2 Openings)