Holding Your Breath - proposed house rule

Moderator: Augur

Holding Your Breath - proposed house rule

Postby Brute » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:55 am

In HU: Century Station, we are currently having a discussion about how long a character can hold their breath. This is the only mention of norms I can find in Palladium (from Mercenary Adventures, p. 31):

I know that the Guinness Record for holding your breath unaided by pre-breathing pure oxygen beforehand is approximately 12 minutes.

Three factors immediately come to mind as variables in this calculation: P.E., exertion, and the swimming skill.

I'd like to propose a house rule for holding your breath, as follows:

Proposed House Rule: Holding Your Breath

A character can hold their breath for a length of time determined by Physical Endurance, presence or absence of the Swimming skill, and whether they are moving or simply floating underwater or in some airless environment.

The calculation is as follows:

Without the swimming skill
Floating: P.E. X 10 seconds. (An average P.E. of 11 can hold their breath unaided for 1 minute, 50 seconds, or approximately 7 melee rounds)
Moving: P.E. X 5 seconds (An average P.E. of 11 can hold their breath while moving for 55 seconds, or approximately 4 melee rounds)

With the swimming skill
Floating: P.E. X 25 seconds (An average P.E. of 11 with the swimming skill can hold their breath for 4 minutes, 35 seconds, or approximately 18 melee rounds)
Moving: P.E. X 12 seconds (An average P.E. of 11 with the swimming skill can hold their breath wile moving for 2 minutes, 12 seconds, or approximately 9 melee rounds)

Pre-Breathing 100% oxygen for 30 minutes beforehand doubles these times.
Brute

Normal Form
AR: 0
HP: 45/45
SDC: 186/186

Monstrous Form
AR: 13
HP: 40/40
SDC: 846/846

Motion detector, 20’ radius range
Predator’s hearing (+2 Initiative, 8X Normal)

Omega Suit
A.R.: 17
SDC: 250/250
Features:
1) Hyper-mimetic alloy fibers change size and molecular composition to fit wearer regardless of APS powers, shape or size changes.
2) Built-in short range encrypted radio transceiver (Omega freq only).
3) Built-in RFID transponder for C.S.P.D. verifies wearer is a Centurion to all C.S.P.D. and their precise GPS location within 20'

Draupnir
    Mind Block Auto-Defense
    +2 vs. magic; +2 vs. Horror Factor
Brute
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Re: Holding Your Breath - proposed house rule

Postby CS High Command » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:23 am

As a note, the FAQ covers this, but it's not set in stone:

55. Are there any official rules on how long a character can hold their breath? If not, what would be a reasonable suggestion?
Answer: P.E. in Melees is a good suggestion if not doing anything.

So Brute would be able to hold his breath for 4 minutes (16 melee rounds). This gels with what I remember (and what makes sense). Someone with a PE of 32 would be able to hold their breath for 8 minutes (well shy of the record). Note, a Pneuma bi-form dolphin can hold their breath 1d4+2 minutes while in human form.

The Oxygen Conservation Skill from Mutants in Orbit would apply, but it's about not exerting.

-------------------------

I swear one of the older books had this. I don't have access to my Ninjas and Superspies at the moment, but I think it mentions this. All version cover how long you can swim for at maximum pace.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)
"Yippee-ki-yay magic lovers." Lt. John Freeman, CS110 at the Sorocco Skirmish of May 110PA

(Many thanks to SNAFU for the basis of my new AVATAR!)
CS High Command
Game Master

Postby Brute » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:41 am

One of my rationales is that someone with the swimming skill has some training in holding their breath, whereas someone without it likely would not.

The formula I've proposed can be adjusted, say without swimming skill, 15 seconds per P.E. point, but to develop the progression I assumed a floor of 30 seconds for a P.E. of 3 and no swimming skill, and a ceiling around that established by existing records as referenced in the link, with errors made in favor of the character.

Like I said, though, it's a proposal, the formula can be adjusted. :)
Brute

Normal Form

Monstrous Form

Omega Suit
Features:
1) Hyper-mimetic alloy fibers change size and molecular composition to fit wearer regardless of APS powers, shape or size changes.
3) Built-in RFID transponder for C.S.P.D. verifies wearer is a Centurion to all C.S.P.D. and their precise GPS location within 20'

Draupnir
    Mind Block Auto-Defense
Brute
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby CS High Command » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 am

oh I was just making you aware of the base ruling so you could adjust your numbers accordingly. :D
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)
"Yippee-ki-yay magic lovers." Lt. John Freeman, CS110 at the Sorocco Skirmish of May 110PA

(Many thanks to SNAFU for the basis of my new AVATAR!)
CS High Command
Game Master

Postby Brute » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:49 am

CS High Command wrote:oh I was just making you aware of the base ruling so you could adjust your numbers accordingly. :D

Actually, that works out nicely:

suggested revision wrote:Without the swimming skill
Floating: P.E. X 15 seconds. (An average P.E. of 11 can hold their breath unaided for 2 minutes, 45 seconds, or 11 melee rounds)
Moving: P.E. X 7 seconds (An average P.E. of 11 can hold their breath while moving for 1 minute, 17 seconds, or approximately 5 melee rounds)

With the swimming skill
Floating: P.E. X 30 seconds (An average P.E. of 11 with the swimming skill can hold their breath for 5 minutes, 30 seconds, or 22 melee rounds)
Moving: P.E. X 15 seconds (An average P.E. of 11 with the swimming skill can hold their breath wile moving for 2 minutes, 45 seconds, or 11 melee rounds)

Pre-Breathing 100% oxygen for 30 minutes beforehand doubles these times.

This way, the unskilled floating, and the skilled swimming are at the same rate, as suggested in the FAQ you posted. :)
Brute

Normal Form

Monstrous Form

Omega Suit
Features:

Draupnir
    Mind Block Auto-Defense
Brute
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Augur » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:19 am

The FAQ ruling is pretty sensible.

Go with that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Augur
Admin

Postby Brute » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13 am

Augur wrote:The FAQ ruling is pretty sensible.

Go with that.

Fair enough.
Brute

Normal Form

Monstrous Form

Omega Suit
Features:

Draupnir
    Mind Block Auto-Defense
Brute
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Spiderweb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:49 am

My suggestion is a bit different, and hopefully more reasonable than assuming an average untrained person can hold their breath for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

I wish to propose the following official rules for holding breath:

1) A creature with normal Endurance can hold their breath for 5 seconds per point of PE, given advanced warning.

2) Any talking (including spell casting) removes 1 full melee round per phrase from this time.

3) The skills SCUBA and Vacuum Survival double the length of time a trained person can hold their breath. If you have both skills o a character, the time is tripled.

4) Supernatural Endurance also doubles the time you can hold your breath. This is fully cumulative with the skill bonuses, so having SCUBA and Supernatural PE lets you hold your breath four times as long.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Tiree » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:58 am

Tiree
Admin

Postby Spiderweb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:26 pm

Tiree wrote:It's been ruled on: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4619&view=unread#unread

Yes, I was told.
Spiderweb