[GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

The Anvil, Corkscrew, and Thundercloud galaxies.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Dark Lord » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:33 am

In the pirates’ bar, Juan Echo finishes his drink and begs off of the race, but encourages his young elven comrade to make the attempt himself. After some demurral and some deliberation, Kaedras recognizes the race as a test of skill that will provide the perfect opportunity to accomplish the team’s goal, and secure Drax’ikl’s cooperation. Icky, having drained his drink, shakes his head inwardly at Juan turning down the race and decides to remedy the situation. As his entrance with the others and subsequent attempt to play neutral observer weren’t the most subtle, anyway, Icky throws his hat in the ring. Drax’ikl cackles, ”It’s a race, then! Winner takes 15k- not a bad haul.” At this, a clearly intoxicated Wulfen (or some other canoid species) staggers to his feet and announces in a slurred voice that he will join the bout as well. A few of his nearby compatriots nearby shakes their heads, but most of the pirates cheer this news- including Drax’ikl. If you do nothing to dissuade him, the clearly intoxicated fellow will join the race- after shaking on the stakes, the three (four) of you head out towards the makeshift starport.

While Kaedras, Icky, and their 1-2 opponents are slipping into flight suits and prepping for takeoff, the bar prepares a jury-rigged but surprisingly detailed tracking and display system to give the audience something to cheer at for the full, roughly two-hour race. Apparently, this isn’t Drax’ikl’s first rodeo, and as Juan mingles with the pirates and listens more than he speaks, it becomes apparent that the audience is fully expecting Drax to win. Apparently, he has something of a reputation as a turbo-jockey among his men, and he makes a habit of fleecing “fresh meat.” It’s not that uncommon for the occasional challenger to damage or even destroy their ship during the run, but hearing the pirates talk about life on Axis you come to realize they’ve actually gotten bored. The Free World Council’s ultimate defense is a little too ultimate- those used to zipping through space in nimble fighters find themselves with little to do when the Kreeghor won’t attack, and the occasional blood sport is apparently acceptable to their ilk in exchange for some entertainment. Juan can’t help but begin to worry a little about his teammates going up into orbit- the Dime Store Magic is substantially slower than the Draygon Star Hawks, and if something happens it may be an unacceptably long time before help can arrive. Even Kar feels a twinge of worry for his new teammates.

Kar has other things on his mind, though. A Felias isn’t exactly the sort of species one expects to find inside an encampment of freedom fighters, and knowing the Atorians as he does Kar can’t help but wonder if something else might be going on. It soon becomes apparent that the Felias’ goals in the room don’t seem terribly different from Kar’s own, if involving a great deal more alcohol. The felinoid appears to be content to remain in his corner and quietly drink away, pouring slug after slug out of a worn brown bottle. He largely observes the conversation preceding the race, but more than once he spies Kar watching him and locks eyes with the Thropo for a good couple of seconds. After a few minutes of solid drinking, and just as the pirates are finishing up the construction of their race-o-vision Kar turns away. When he turns back, the Felias has slipped out the back, leaving his bottle behind. Before the festivities begin.

It isn’t long before Kaedras and Icky are suited up and ready to race. You are both provided with generic but serviceable (if dirty) spacers’ suits, or you may bring your own EBA if it is up to code- but the latter option will prompt a quick inspection from a few of the pirates who’ve come out to see you off. Assuming they find nothing that would be deemed to provide an unfair advantage, you are subsequently bundled up into your star fighters, and launched into orbit from the spaceport with the help of a very crude air traffic control. From there it’s only a few minutes to get into orbit and to follow Drax’ikl to the agreed-upon starting line over the equator. Drax comes on a general comm frequency.

”For those of you newcomers, the rules are simple. All missile launchers have been disabled, and direct energy weapons fire on another ship in the race will result in disqualification. The space junk in orbit, on the other hand…” He trails off for dramatic effect, hiccups (or maybe belches a little) into the comm, then continues ”Fighter booster systems are fully charged and good for a grand total of one hour of flight time. Fighter sensors have been configured to let you know when you’ve gone out of bounds for the race- it’s a 20-mile strip centered over the equator and surrounding the planet at an altitude of 60 miles. I’ve set a locator beacon at these coordinates as the finish line- first ship within five miles according to sensors takes the pot. Any questions?” If not, once all the pilots signal their readiness, Drax’ikl initiates a computer-controlled countdown, and you are off to the races.

If you did not dissuade the drunken canoid from racing, one of the other ships activates its booster almost immediately after the race starts, and fires off on a slightly erratic course well ahead of you. Those of you that do not will trail at a significant distance for the first half of the race, and find yourselves jockeying with Drax’ikl for position while the booster fighter falls off of short-range sensors (including visual). Kaedras finds himself struggling to match the turbo-jockey, and focuses on psionically enhancing his reflexes to give himself an extra edge ((Kaedras: -150 ISP to maintain enhanced reflexes for the entire race, -80 ISP for the first 64 minutes)).

The first five minutes or so are calm- the three fighters keep pace with one another (possibly with a fourth far ahead), and everyone gets a chance to get a feel for the controls and the racetrack. Despite taking place in the void of outer space, the latter term is an apt description- the course is narrow enough that your freedom to maneuver is fairly restricted, and here as in everywhere else on Axis the planet lives up to its name of the Battlefield. The wreckage of destroyed fleets, satellites, orbital defenses, and cargo containers is everywhere, and simply navigating it safely at top speed proves a stimulating challenge. Drax’ikl easily slips into the lead position of the three of you, but both Icky and Kaedras manage to keep up (though Icky finds it quite challenging). Then, Drax’ikl ups the ante, and begins darting to the edge of the racetrack closest to the planet. Hugging the edge of the track will technically allow him to cover ground faster at the same speed as the rest of you (analogous to the inside of a two-dimensional race track), which over the course of a two-hour race will add up to a substantial advantage come the finish line (to say nothing of whatever Drax’ikl has planned for his booster). If you want to stay in the race, you have to either match his course or use your booster early.

Those of you who try to match Drax’ikl will shortly uncover the method to his madness- by restricting the range of mobility even further, the race becomes an obstacle course, with the turbo-jockey easily maneuvering around the ample space debris and the rest of you trying to match him. As the race progresses through its first hour, Drax’ikl grows increasingly aggressive in his maneuvers, nearly causing collisions on multiple occasions as a result. Kaedras is largely able to keep pace, but at one point gets sideswiped by Drax’ikl into a large chunk of debris. While the elf is able to recover quickly, and his progress is unhindered, he discovers after things calm down that the impact knocked out his communications system. Conversely Icky, who does not have Kaedras’ psionic enhancements, does not fare as well trying to mimic Drax’ikl’s death-defying maneuvers. Three times Icky is driven into rough collisions with space debris, and once he thinks Drax’ikl even hits him with his ship. Though the minotaur is able to stay in the race, several ship’s subsystems have been damaged- main engines, radar and computers, maneuvering rockets and missile launcher down (not that the latter was an option for this race anyway). It is not going to get easier from here on out.

Despite some setbacks, the three of you more or less hang together for the first hour of the race. As you reach the halfway point, curving around the far side of the planet from the finish line, Drax’ikl suddenly activates his boosters and arcs his ship on a tight angle around the planet. Those of you with functioning computers or who make an appropriate skill check (e.g., astrophysics) will realize that the turbo-jockey is attempting a crude slingshot maneuver using his booster and the trajectory around the planet. And of course, it takes him right next to several intimidating pieces of space junk. Duplicating the effort will be difficult, but not impossible- failing to do so will likely give Drax’ikl a small but insurmountable lead for the rest of the race.

What are you doing?

Race Modifiers
Kaedras: Communications down.
Icky: -15% on all piloting maneuvers, -10 to strike/parry/dodge for the rest of the race. Landing the ship safely will require a piloting skill check at -15%.
Both of you post one skill check at -25% to match Drax’ikl’s slingshot maneuver, and three more piloting skill rolls for the next leg of the race.
Why kill a PC when you can torture their player?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Dark Lord
Dimension Master
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 am
Location: DIMENSION MASTER: PHASE WORLD

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kar Fallax » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:33 am

Perception: 1d100 = 67 vs 24%
JIC: 1d20 = 11 and 1d100 = 51

Dark Lord wrote:Kar has other things on his mind, though. A Felias isn’t exactly the sort of species one expects to find inside an encampment of freedom fighters, and knowing the Atorians as he does Kar can’t help but wonder if something else might be going on. It soon becomes apparent that the Felias’ goals in the room don’t seem terribly different from Kar’s own, if involving a great deal more alcohol. The felinoid appears to be content to remain in his corner and quietly drink away, pouring slug after slug out of a worn brown bottle. He largely observes the conversation preceding the race, but more than once he spies Kar watching him and locks eyes with the Thropo for a good couple of seconds. After a few minutes of solid drinking, and just as the pirates are finishing up the construction of their race-o-vision Kar turns away. When he turns back, the Felias has slipped out the back, leaving his bottle behind. Before the festivities begin.


When Kar locks eyes with the Felias he becomes keenly aware, This is the danger. Quickly turning to see if the team left yet and finding the Felias gone upon his returned attention Kar becomes angry. Coward! He quickly makes his way tot he table the Felias was sitting at, pick the brown bottle up and sniffs, Was he even drinking? Water I bet.

After confirming if the cowardly kitty had been pretending to drink or not he looks for the most obvious exit point and makes his way out after the creature, keying up the team radio, "I am in pursuit of a suspicious Felias." Kar does not wait for a response and does his best to track and follow Felias. Confident he can move quickly enough he heads out.
User avatar
Kar Fallax
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 am

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Juan Echo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:23 pm

Perception (27%): 1d100 = 69
JiC: 1d20 = 12/1d100 = 58
Relevant Skills
Charm/Impress (80%) -- 1d100 = 44: Convince the drunk Wulfen to stay on the ground and drink some more
Charm (80%) -- 1d100 = 29: Chat up the drunk Wulfen's friends
Charm (80%) -- 1d100 = 48: Color commentary
Charm (80%) -- 1d100 = 31:Court-side interview

Juan pats Kaedras on the shoulder and gives him a telepathic nod: Remember, it's not a matter of winning or losing, it's about putting on a good show. If you impress him, he will be more likely to let us access the ruins or use the water relic.

Urqos Icky wrote:"Oi dere, chum..." he gives a nod to Drax'ikl. "Big Red 'ere may not be up fer a frendly game o' 'race 'round da planet,' but I been itchin' ta take one o' dose Hawk beauties fer a spin fer a while now. Way I see it, 5 grand ain't dat bad a rental fee fer a balls-ta-da-walls test drive... an' if I 'appen ta win, well..." he shrugs. "Even better, y'know?"

Juan's eyes lighten up, and he looks to the priest and says, "Excellent! We have a dark wing entering the race. The priest, Icky, is my co-pilot. And given his background, more experience with smaller craft." Turning to the crowd, "How about it? I'll wager 5,000 UTC that either of my shipmates can outfly Drax'ikl? Any takers?" (Note: This is a second bet, on top of the wager Juan made to Drax'ikl that Kaedras can beat him, and he'll offer it to anyone in the bar, including...)

Juan uses the moment to scan the crowd and sees the drunken Wulfen, and his beleaguered friends, making his way to the front. Working a bar is a delicate act of balancing chaos. A drunk Wulfen interrupting a dangerous low-orbit rocket race throws that balance off. One can't predict what a wildcard like that will do, or how he will affect the race. (Says the wildcard at the bar) The Wander sidles between the Wulfen and his friends and starts making idle chatter: "He any good? ... I think I heard that the race between those three is a rematch ... Why do you want in on the race? Something to prove or just bored? ... Need another round of shots before the race? I'll get the first if you get the second... Yes! Both shots before you fly... Anyone want to do a round of cards or darts?"

Then, before returning to the bar, Juan looks to both at both of his teammates and telepathically sends them a message: Also, try not to die. Many members of the Yayamama Pantheon have died in low-orbit rocket races. I need both hands to count the number of cousins that have hit died in fiery crashes.

Whether or not he convinces the Wulfen to go back to the bar, Juan strikes up a conversation with the pirates. He tries to signal Kar to join him. But a quick glance and he has lost sight of the serious soldier. Perhaps he knocked back a few and decided to cut loose. Good for him. Wait, does Urqos Kar know how to unwind? Jonny, where could he-

Urqos Kar wrote:"I am in pursuit of a suspicious Felias."

Juan doesn't reach for his radio, instead opting for a simple telepathic message: Be careful. Don't go too far away; and definitely don't enter a strange building.

"Well, it looks my other crew-mate has decided to run off without me. Care to join me for a drink?" Juan goes on to ask them about life in the camp, leading to the latest gossip, leading to earnest questions about politics on Axis-5, leading to their thoughts on the Atorians. Juan uses the time it take Icky and Kaedras to put on their EBA's, take off, and reach to the starting line to get a sense of what the political climate is like on the planet, and how treacherous are the different factions. Once he has finished, and presumably before the race has started, Juan will pay for the pirates' next round and wander around the bar until he spots tracking system. He sits next to it. Watching eagerly, Juan starts to provide a running commentary on the race.

Dark Lord wrote:The first five minutes or so are calm- the three fighters keep pace with one another, and everyone gets a chance to get a feel for the controls and the racetrack... and here as in everywhere else on Axis the planet lives up to its name of the Battlefield. The wreckage of destroyed fleets, satellites, orbital defenses, and cargo containers is everywhere, and simply navigating it safely at top speed proves a stimulating challenge. Drax’ikl easily slips into the lead position of the three of you, but both Icky and Kaedras manage to keep up (though Icky finds it quite challenging).

"And as finish our racers their first 10 degrees of travel, the Pirate King is taking off like a thief in the night. The Star Elf is managing to keep it close... And here comes the space debris! The Priest gets caught like a bull in a china shop, and he is falling behind."

Dark Lord wrote:Hugging the edge of the track will technically allow him to cover ground faster at the same speed as the rest of you (analogous to the inside of a two-dimensional race track), which over the course of a two-hour race will add up to a substantial advantage come the finish line (to say nothing of whatever Drax’ikl has planned for his booster). If you want to stay in the race, you have to either match his course or use your booster early.

"The Pirate King is lording it over the others as he sets the pace so far. The Star Elf is close behind, shadowing his moves, and the Priest is in third, praying that he can close the gap."

"Home field advantage is really helping the Pirate King, as he is plotting the tightest course around the space debris. He is maneuvering around the battlefield like me at a crowded brothel. Which reminds me, this race is brought to you by the World's Oldest Regiment: providing the armed services with services to their *ahem* arms as long as there has been a fight to fight."

Dark Lord wrote:Those of you who try to match Drax’ikl will shortly uncover the method to his madness- by restricting the range of mobility even further, the race becomes an obstacle course, with the turbo-jockey easily maneuvering around the ample space debris and the rest of you trying to match him. As the race progresses through its first hour, Drax’ikl grows increasingly aggressive in his maneuvers, nearly causing collisions on multiple occasions as a result.

As Drax'ikl pulls into a clear part of space, Juan hails him on the radio. "Urqos Drax'ikl, that is some slick flying. What are some of the more dangerous pieces of space debris you need to look out for? ... It looks like Urqos Icky has lost a few systems, which systems would you say are the most expendable on a Star Hawk in this race?"

Dark Lord wrote:While the elf is able to recover quickly, and his progress is unhindered, he discovers after things calm down that the impact knocked out his communications system.

"That last hit has left the Space Elf speechless, much like you will be if you go and visit World's Oldest Regiment, where the ladies are as shimmery and soft as the Star Elf. Unless that's not what you're into, in which case come down to the World's Oldest Regiment for some of the roughest treatment in the Battlefield."

Dark Lord wrote:Conversely Icky, who does not have Kaedras’ psionic enhancements, does not fare as well trying to mimic Drax’ikl’s death-defying maneuvers. Three times Icky is driven into rough collisions with space debris, and once he thinks Drax’ikl even hits him with his ship. Though the minotaur is able to stay in the race, several ship’s subsystems have been damaged- main engines, radar and computers, maneuvering rockets and missile launcher down (not that the latter was an option for this race anyway). It is not going to get easier from here on out.

"And the Priest is taking a beating. I haven't seen him hit that hard since... well, every fight that he has ever been in. If anyone can recover from this kind of beating it is the Priest. But does he have the moves to do it?"

Dark Lord wrote:Despite some setbacks, the three of you more or less hang together for the first hour of the race. As you reach the halfway point, curving around the far side of the planet from the finish line, Drax’ikl suddenly activates his boosters and arcs his ship on a tight angle around the planet.

"It looks like the Pirate King is accelerating rapidly... is he hitting his boosters? Ladies and gentlemen, I believe that Urqos Drax'ikl is going to try and use the planet's gravity and his boosters to take the money and run!
Status: Juan Echo
M.D.C.: 300/300
P.P.E.: 50/50
I.S.P.: 76/76

May the rest of the Yayamama Pantheon have mercy on our SOULS!
User avatar
Juan Echo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Starchief » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:47 am

Perception: 1d100 = 32/59%
JIC: 1d20 = 12/1d100 = 50

Groups
Torrigan, The Atorian Commandant
Aoife
Mara
Metri
Starchief

Drax'ikl, Leader of the Mercenary Forces
Icky
Juan Echo
Kaedras
Kar


"Ah, Commandant Torrigan! It is an honor to make your acquaintance." Starchief turns back to the rest of his crew. "Shall we follow and get that bite to eat?" Assuming a positive acknowledgement, he follows the Commandant to whatever building they are lead to. As she suggests, he has the crew leave their weapons behind but assigns Aoife to watch over their gear. "I'll bring you back a plate. Keep all of this safe. Disable anyone who attempts to steal from us."

"So Commandant, before we break bread I must say, we are here on important business. I would love to regale you with tales of the stars at a later time, but we must speak on the matters at hand quickly." (Trust: 1d100 = 13/92%)
Starchief
Andra "Starchief" Sekona
the Shield of Seeron

MDC: 439/439|Costume: 20/20

Saving Throw Bonuses:
Vs. Insanity: +9|Vs. Magic: +10|Vs. Possession: +7|Vs. Psionic: +7
Vs. Poison: +7|Vs. Mind Control: +6|Vs. Disease: +6|Vs. Illusion: +5
Vs. Horror Factor: +8|Vs. Coma/Death: +51%|Perception: +3


Image

Ledger
User avatar
Starchief
Group Leader
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Phase World PC (Adventurers)

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Chef Icky » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:52 am

Perception: 1d100 = 62/43%
JIC: 1d20 = 14/1d100 = 43

Conditions:
  • main engines, radar and computers, maneuvering rockets and missile launcher down (not that the latter was an option for this race anyway)
  • -15% on all piloting maneuvers
  • -10 to strike/parry/dodge for the rest of the race
  • Landing the ship safely will require a piloting skill check at -15%
  • Still feeling somewhat optimistic...


Icky grunts, hollers, and curses as his ship gets roughly banged around like an Arcturian prostitute on the eve of battle. Or was it after the battle? And why am I thinking about this now? He grumbles to himself. Oh yeah, it's because I'm about to get royally frelled from being so rusty behind the stick.

He thinks back to Juan's last 'words' sent telepathically. Don't die. Hey thanks a lot.

"Oi, Red, I swear if I snuff it up 'ere I'm comin' back an' frakkin' hauntin' yer arse..." he grunts between clenched teeth. "Well, nobody promised me I was gonna live forever... an' I'm probably way frakkin' overdue fer me date wit' da reaper anyway." He grabs the throttle and jams his thumb down on the booster. "Big D guide me... or at least open me up a keg fer when I get dere. OOH RAH!!!!!!!!"

Piloting Rolls
Both of you post one skill check at -25% to match Drax’ikl’s slingshot maneuver, and three more piloting skill rolls for the next leg of the race.

(penalties accounted for -- Icky's normal pilot skill is 95% and is usually +15 to dodge)

Pilot Small Spacecraft at -25% to match Drax’ikl’s slingshot maneuver -- 1d100 = 37/70% (55% if penalties stack)
Pilot Small Spacecraft at -15% #1 -- 1d100 = 40/80%
Pilot Small Spacecraft at -15% #2 -- 1d100 = 20/80%
Pilot Small Spacecraft at -15% #3 -- 1d100 = 13/80%

Dodges at -10: 1d20+5 = 15, 1d20+5 = 20, 1d20+5 = 19, 1d20+5 = 12, 1d20+5 = 11, 1d20+5 = 15, 1d20+5 = 23, 1d20+5 = 14
Food is da universal language, an' me galley is da universal translator. Don't ya mess wit' either one while I'm 'round. Or even when I ain't 'round.

Please do not PM this account -- send your PMs to AGM account The Bos instead. Thanks!

------------------------------

- Max Bodily MDC: 187 ... Max ISP: 48 ... Max PPE: 12
- Armor Max MDC: 120 ... Force Field Max MDC: 110
- Natural Abilities: HF 11 ... 100’ nightvision (can see in total darkness) ... Fire/cold does 1/2 damage ... Fatigues at half rate of normal humans ... Lift 3,600 lbs & carry 1,800 lbs ... Jump 21.6’ across/10.8’ high standing; 54’ across/27’ high with running start
- Combat Notes: 8 APM ... +3 initiative; +11 strike; +13 parry; +14 dodge; +4 roll, disarm; +8 pull; +21 PS bonus ... Critical Strike on an unmodified 18-20 ... Boxing: auto KO on nat 20 for 1d6 melees ... Paired Weapons ... Body flip/throw
User avatar
Chef Icky
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm
Location: Phase World: Galactic Adventurers

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kaedras Starfall » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:40 pm

Perception: 42% 1d100 = 47

JIC: 1d20 = 9
1d100 = 82

Conditions: (During race) Enhanced Reflexes: +1 attack per melee, +3 initiative, +1 to strike, +2 to parry and dodge. +2 to P.P. (adding further bonuses to strike/parry/dodge if boosted to 16 or higher), and +15% to all physical skills that rely on coordination or balance. Duration 8/8 minutes

"Comms are out... Lets hope I don't need to radio for help." Kaedras recovers from the collisions and tries to match Drax'ikl's speed, hoping to overtake the turbojockey at least once during the race.

When Kaedras figures out that the turbojockey is using a slingshot maneuver, of all things, to speed up, yet somehow stay in orbit, he's a bit shocked. ...how? Slingshot maneuver pulls you in a straight shot that breaks orbit... he's fighting against his own physics to stay in orbit! maybe... maybe the ship's own maneuver thrusters are strong enough to keep orbit intact?

Kaedras will try to mimic the maneuver, knowing if he fails he will either lose the race or rocket off into interplanetary space (thus leaving the track and consequently also losing the race). Kaedras will reapply his enhanced relflexes as necessary throughout the course. This use of my mental abilities is taxing, but I need to make a good showing. Hopefully we will have an opportunity for me to rest before trying for the pyramid.

Of all the inssane...

Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 60% or 75% 1d100 = 3 ("slingshot maneuver" - CRIT SUCCESS)

Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 85% or 100% 1d100 = 2 (CRIT SUCCESS)
Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 85% or 100% 1d100 = 66 (SUCCESS)
Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 85% or 100% 1d100 = 70 (SUCCESS)


Navigation: Space 70% 1d100 = 34 (Avoid obstacles, take shortest path - SUCCESS)


Initiative: 1d20+7 = 13

APM: 6

Actions 1-5: use piloting to dodge (note, dodge rolls use Enhanced Reflexes bonuses - If dodges are necessary, Kaedras will renew Enhanced Reflexes as necessary)
Dodges: 1) 1d20+11 = 27; 2) 1d20+11 = 24; 3) 1d20+11 = 31 (Nat. 20!); 4) 1d20+11 = 27; 5) 1d20+11 = 27; 6) 1d20+11 = 29
Kaedras Starfall
I.S.P.: 18/168
M.D.C.: 37/37

Psionic Crystal Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Arms: 15 each
Legs: 22 each
Main Body: 35
Psionic Force Field: 70/70 (Can be used 4 times per 24 hour period without I.S.P. cost to user)
User avatar
Kaedras Starfall
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Mara » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:58 pm

Perception: 1d10 = 6 / 65% (95% when dealing with vampires or undead)
JiC: 1d20 = 10 1d100 = 46

Conditions: Eye of Knowledge (15)-- 90 min duration, understand and speak all languages at 96%, literate at 82%

Starchief wrote:"Ah, Commandant Torrigan! It is an honor to make your acquaintance." Starchief turns back to the rest of his crew. "Shall we follow and get that bite to eat?" Assuming a positive acknowledgement, he follows the Commandant to whatever building they are lead to. As she suggests, he has the crew leave their weapons behind but assigns Aoife to watch over their gear. "I'll bring you back a plate. Keep all of this safe. Disable anyone who attempts to steal from us."

"So Commandant, before we break bread I must say, we are here on important business. I would love to regale you with tales of the stars at a later time, but we must speak on the matters at hand quickly."


Mara follows the Starburst's lead and heads into the Atorian encampment. "I could eat." She seems professional enough. Wonder if we are going to get any assistance or will it be more diplomatic problems. Good thing Starburst there has the gift of speaking passionately and convincingly. She still keeps her tattoo active and doesn't reveal she understands the Atorian language. She will pick up what she can, and if necessary, she will relay it to Starburst through telepathy.

Anthropology 1d100 = 65 / 47% (for any customs she should be following)
Mara Archerean

PPE: 288 / 288
ISP: 85 / 85
MDC: 381/381
H.F.: 14
Heart in Chains Tattoo: 0/450 MDC(inactive)

Constant: Sixth Sense

Soundtrack:
''Zombie'' by Damned Anthem
Evanescence - Bring Me To Life (Ghost in the Machine Remix)
Adele vs. Linkin Park - Set Fire To The End
Tomorrow We Fight
User avatar
Mara
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Dark Lord » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:23 am

In the bar, Juan Echo is in his element as he calls out to the crowd looking for a little side action. When the godling makes it clear he’s betting against Drax’ikl, he gets quite a few enthusiastic takers from the audience- but most of them balk at the expensive price tag (apparently none of them is the high roller their leader is). Eventually, four of the pirates pool some funds and agree to the bet. Some spitting in palms followed by a handshake ensues, sealing the pact in the time-worn tradition. The Godling then moseys over to the bar, and smoothly talks the drunken cainoid out of joining the race with the help of a couple rounds of shots ((-50 credits Juan; the cainoid does not join the race)).

After the racers have departed, Kar notices the Felias acting suspicious and follows him outside, after a quick word to Juan. Juan, himself, acts normally- turning on the charm and ingratiating himself with the pirates. He doesn’t have a lot of time before the race starts to build the kind of relationship where the pirates are talking freely, but he does lay the ground work and later on in the evening (after quite a few drinks), Juan (and anyone else who survives to frolic with the pirates) will be able to get a general if slanted sense of what things are like at the camp. And things could be better.

The pirates are dissatisfied with their lot. The like the safety of being posted on Axis- its position towards the front lines makes slipping into non-FWC territory for raids easy. They are more successful than ever before thanks to the ”wacky magic defense under that pyramid,” but they can’t enjoy any of it because FWC command hardly lets them leave on raids anymore. Safeguarding Axis V has to take priority, which translates to a whole lot of guard duty for the boots on the ground. Guard duty translates to boredom- it quickly becomes clear that all the pirates really have to talk about are stories all of the same piece. Drunken revelry and/or drunken racing, with the odd fatality, are the only things that have happened in months. But that’s not the worst part.

The worst part is that these men and women, who’ve fought on the Battlefield for years and bled and died for it over and over again, are being slowly muscled out. Various factions from within the FWC who previously would never deign to dirty their hands with work on the front lines now have a vested interest in this strange pyramid and the power it possesses. They show up out of nowhere, try to commandeer all the best campsites, and look down their noses at the grunts. More than one soldier expresses loud contempt for all those “holier-than-thou assholes who just show up outta nowhere and think they can start bossing us around.” While your conversations throughout the evening draw out ample examples of the phenomenon, it eventually becomes clear that none are so emblematic of the pirates’ perceived mistreatment as the Atorians. Those aristocrats are holier, more ‘than thou’, and the least shy about letting everyone else know it. One fellow expresses loud agreement that if they all weren’t ”Rich as shit assholes!” the FWC would have told them to take a hike.

The race begins, and by now Juan has ingratiated himself with enough of the pirates that there are no objections to his casting the race. There’s a static-filled viewscreen with a crude map of the planet, and a very retro microphone wired into the bar’s sound system. Juan relates Drax’ikl’s daredevil maneuvers with the kind of breathless excitement found at sporting events throughout the megaverse, and even tries to radio the Pirate King at one point for a quick mid-race interview. Juan gets no response, however- either Drax’ikl is enough of a professional to keep both hands on the wheel while flying (while not so much so that he won’t race drunk), or being 1/3 of the way around the planet places him out of range of your communications equipment. Then, Drax’ikl hits his moment of decision- and the perigree of your orbit around the planet.

Both Kaedras and Icky don’t have long to react, and must decide if they want to try and duplicate Drax’ikl’s death-defying maneuver to stay in the race. Both decide that they are in it to win it, and blast off at exactly the right time. Icky’s maneuvering is a little shaky, thanks to all the damage he took from space debris, but he clears perigree and activates his boosters on time without issue, catching up to Drax’ikl. Kaedras, meanwhile, has just refreshed the psionic enhancement of his reflexes, and in a flash that borders on precognition, sees an opening for some even fancier flying. Slipping in-between Drax’ikl and Icky, Kaedras hugs the innermost edge of the racetrack, ducks through an opening between two pieces of space debris that wasn’t there a minute ago (and won’t be there shortly), and emerges from perigree with boosters hot and a small but substantial lead.

The back half of the race starts with Kaedras in the lead, Drax’ikl in a solid second place behind him, and Icky trailing in third by a whisker. As you pass perigree, the space debris begins to thin out a little. For the time being at least, your course is clear, and you all heave a sigh of relief as the boosters kick in and you set your sights on the finish line. The skies are clear for a bit, giving everyone (especially Icky) a chance for their respective blood pressures to come down. But not completely. Kaedras notes in excitement that he is somehow keeping pace with Drax’ikl, even extending his lead oh-so-slightly as you proceed into the home stretch of the race.

About two-thirds of the way between perigree and home, those of you passing a read sensor equipment roll will detect a number of large meteors ahead of you- a dense storm composed mostly of ice crystals up to 1,000 feet in diameter. Kaedras also thinks he spots the telltale glow of a ley line up ahead… and something else, but he’s not sure what. Drax’ikl answers that question when he comes on the comm. (even Kaedras’ suit radio can pick him up), and cackles ”Looks like there’s a storm brewin’- you boys don’t have any magic, do ya?” As you consult your instruments, you can plot a course to bypass the storm and still stay within the bounds of the racetrack- but it will cost Kaedras about half of his lead over Drax’ikl and put Icky into a definitive third place that will be difficult to come back from in time. Alternatively, you can follow Drax’ikl’s course into the storm, and take your chances with ley lines and meteors.
Racing Rolls
  • Read sensory equipment to detect the ley line/meteor storm. If you pass, you may roll a skill check (space navigation, or regular navigation at -40%) to pilot a course around it.
  • Post three dodge rolls at +5 and two piloting rolls at -20% if you go through the storm, all in addition to other bonuses or penalties. You may post one additional read sensory equipment roll per dodge at -20%; if you pass add another +3 to your dodge.
  • If you have any magic on you and go through the storm, roll 1d4 additional dodge rolls. PP and enhanced reflexes bonuses only.
  • If you go through the ley line storm, roll once on the “Random events that can happen during a ley line storm” table on P. 192 of R:UE. Role-play the results appropriately- if your result is a dimensional rift, roll another dodge.
  • Don’t forget the ships’ maneuverability bonuses on P. 141 of DB6.


Kar, meanwhile, ducks outside to follow the Felias after radioing Juan that he’s done so. With twilight setting in, the camps’ darkened alleys make the place look a whole lot less inviting than it did a few hours ago. Even so, Kar sets out, keeping a sharp eye for his quarry. At least, he thought he was. A few minutes after he sets out from the bar, Kar turns down a likely path only to have a figure step up from behind him, hold a vibro-knife to his throat, and mutter in a breath generously tinged with the scent of whiskey and finely-accented Trade 4, ”Why’re you followin’ me, meat?”

Meanwhile, in contrast to the exciting race in orbit, Starchief and company find themselves facing some rather stuffy Atorians. With the notable (and curious) exception of Commandant Torrigan. She smiles thinly at Starchief, gently pats his shoulder (with a slightly more-than gentle squeeze before she ends the physical contact), and says ”Of course, sweetheart. Don’t you worry your pretty little head. We’ll take care of this just as soon as we can.” She’s a good deal more serious when she replies to Mara, at least, ”I’m glad you understand. I’m afraid I simply cannot be late for this engagement- we are hosting a delegate from Naruni Enterprises. Vice Executive Director Corbin Decker, perhaps you’ve heard of him? Regardless, I’m afraid I cannot keep him waiting any longer- he is here to negotiate a very important arms deal for us, and it simply wouldn’t do to start the negotiations off on the wrong foot. I’m sure he’d be thrilled to have you join us, however- I see a few of you are fans of his product. I’m sure Director Decker would welcome to hear stories of your travels, not to mention customer feedback. Besides, I understand the cooks are serving the most delectable Atavarian pate. You simply must try it.”

If you insist on not going to dinner, Torrigan will pout a little but dismissively order her assistant to schedule you an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. If you relent, she will smile (apparently sincerely), exclaim ”Excellent!” to Mara and Aoife, and add ”I can’t wait to hear what you have to say. Please, no weapons at the table however. You can leave them outside- we are all allies here after all, aren’t we?”

Assuming you go along with the above, you will be taken to a secure alcove where all of you can deposit your weapons- behind biometrically locked doors, no less. You are then given a brief chance to clean up, and ushered into an elegantly appointed dining room. Six older Atorian women, the youngest of whom is likely around 80, join you, Torrigan, and a slick, well-dressed, and goateed human man who confidently introduces himself as Corbin Decker, Executive Vice Director of Naruni Enterprises. The thick perfumed air makes it a little difficult to breathe, but you are hungry and sit down to dinner in relatively short order. What follows is some of the most inane, choreographed, useless, and flowery conversation you’ve ever taken part in. You can’t help but feel a little frustrated, Starchief and Metri in particular seem unable to raise any points of discussion without being talked over, and Starchief more than once catches the Commandant making eyes at him. Any of you passing a perception check on your next post will catch Decker rolling his eyes oh-so-slightly after one of the other aristocrats makes some snide remark, and those of you unsuited to this kind of courtly wordplay find yourselves struggling to stay awake.

What are you doing?
Why kill a PC when you can torture their player?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Dark Lord
Dimension Master
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 am
Location: DIMENSION MASTER: PHASE WORLD

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kar Fallax » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:30 am

Perception: 1d100 = 97 vs 24%
JIC: 1d20 = 19 and 1d100 = 4

Dark Lord wrote:Kar, meanwhile, ducks outside to follow the Felias after radioing Juan that he’s done so. With twilight setting in, the camps’ darkened alleys make the place look a whole lot less inviting than it did a few hours ago. Even so, Kar sets out, keeping a sharp eye for his quarry. At least, he thought he was. A few minutes after he sets out from the bar, Kar turns down a likely path only to have a figure step up from behind him, hold a vibro-knife to his throat, and mutter in a breath generously tinged with the scent of whiskey and finely-accented Trade 4, ”Why’re you followin’ me, meat?”


Kar finds himself slightly embarrassed and wholly angry at being caught off guard the way he has. Not enjoying the submissive position Kar reacts. With a smirk growing on his face he drives his hand up under the Felias' hand holding the hilt of the knife and pushes outward with all his strength, while striking behind him with an elbow to the ribs of his opponent. The struggle of battle!, thinks the simian as the smirk grows into a full smile. With enough separation between two, Kar will reach his second hand out to the knife hand of his opponent, pushing his hip out he will attempt to toss the man over his shoulder to the ground with enough force to daze the creature rather than cause damage . "Who are you calling meat?" he retorts.

With the man on the ground in front of him, Kar take a step back drawing his phase sword, "Why are you so paranoid Kitty? Who were you stalking in there?"

Initiative: 1d20+3 = 8
APM: 7
Action 1: Parry knife away and strike with elbow, Parry: 1d20+6 = 22, Strike: 1d20+4 = 8, Damage: 2d6 = 9
Action 2: Reach for hand, Strike:1d20+4 = 12
Action 3: Hip Toss, Strike: 1d20+4 = 11
Action 4: Step back and draw sword
Action 5-7: Reserved for Dodge, 1d20+9 = 11, 1d20+9 = 16, 1d20+9 = 29

Auto-Dodge Contingency: 1d20+2 = 7, 1d20+2 = 21, 1d20+2 = 12, 1d20+2 = 12, 1d20+2 = 5, 1d20+2 = 15, 1d20+2 = 10
User avatar
Kar Fallax
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 am

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Chef Icky » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:57 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 60/43%
JIC: 1d20 = 4/1d100 = 91

Dark Lord wrote:The back half of the race starts with Kaedras in the lead, Drax’ikl in a solid second place behind him, and Icky trailing in third by a whisker. As you pass perigree, the space debris begins to thin out a little. For the time being at least, your course is clear, and you all heave a sigh of relief as the boosters kick in and you set your sights on the finish line. The skies are clear for a bit, giving everyone (especially Icky) a chance for their respective blood pressures to come down. But not completely. Kaedras notes in excitement that he is somehow keeping pace with Drax’ikl, even extending his lead oh-so-slightly as you proceed into the home stretch of the race.

About two-thirds of the way between perigree and home, those of you passing a read sensor equipment roll will detect a number of large meteors ahead of you- a dense storm composed mostly of ice crystals up to 1,000 feet in diameter. Kaedras also thinks he spots the telltale glow of a ley line up ahead… and something else, but he’s not sure what. Drax’ikl answers that question when he comes on the comm. (even Kaedras’ suit radio can pick him up), and cackles ”Looks like there’s a storm brewin’- you boys don’t have any magic, do ya?” As you consult your instruments, you can plot a course to bypass the storm and still stay within the bounds of the racetrack- but it will cost Kaedras about half of his lead over Drax’ikl and put Icky into a definitive third place that will be difficult to come back from in time. Alternatively, you can follow Drax’ikl’s course into the storm, and take your chances with ley lines and meteors.


Icky allows himself a chuckle or two as he realizes he's managed to hang with Drax’ikl despite all the damage that's been done to his fighter. "Oi, I pity da poor schmoe dat's gotta fix all dis... or pick up da tab fer it." His smile disappears for a moment. "Feetal's gizz -- hope dat poor schmoe gettin' da tab ain't me!"

When the flyboy radios about the ley line storm Icky goes into full frown mode. Smart play would be to fly around it. Smart play would be to settle for last place and not risk crashing into a bajillion pieces. But the 'smart play' isn't going to get us anywhere if at least one of us doesn't follow him through there. He flicks his comms. "Oi, chum, whot's a lil' space lightnin' among friends? Can't be worse dan Juan at da disco durin' karaoke night!" He gives a laugh he almost sincerely feels before flicking it back off.

What's that story? Guy jumps off the Icarus Skyscraper in Alexandria. All the way down the folks on every floor hear him say 'so far, so good' as he passes.

"So far, so good I guess dere Big D..." he mutters under his breath as he angles for the ley line storm. "'Ere's hopin' yer givin' me a helpin' hand or at least enjoyin' da race."

However, once the lightning flashes around him and he has to dodge around a rift suddenly appearing in his flight path, he starts fretting just a little. "Mebbe dis wasn't quite da best idea I've had today..."


Doin' piloty stuff... or not-so-piloty stuff
Conditions:
OOC Comments
  • main engines, radar and computers, maneuvering rockets and missile launcher down (not that the latter was an option for this race anyway)
  • -15% on all piloting maneuvers
  • -10 to strike/parry/dodge for the rest of the race
  • Landing the ship safely will require a piloting skill check at -15%
  • Icky's normal pilot skill is 95% and is usually +15 to dodge

  • Read sensory equipment to detect the ley line/meteor storm. If you pass, you may roll a skill check (space navigation, or regular navigation at -40%) to pilot a course around it.
  • Post three dodge rolls at +5 and two piloting rolls at -20% if you go through the storm, all in addition to other bonuses or penalties. You may post one additional read sensory equipment roll per dodge at -20%; if you pass add another +3 to your dodge.
  • If you have any magic on you and go through the storm, roll 1d4 additional dodge rolls. PP and enhanced reflexes bonuses only.
  • If you go through the ley line storm, roll once on the “Random events that can happen during a ley line storm” table on P. 192 of R:UE. Role-play the results appropriately- if your result is a dimensional rift, roll another dodge.
  • Don’t forget the ships’ maneuverability bonuses on P. 141 of DB6. (+3 initiative, +1 strike, +4 dodge, +6 dodge at maximum speed, +15% on dog-fighting and special maneuvers)


OCC NOTE: I totally forgot the ship's maneuverability bonuses. I don't know if anything we're doing falls under 'special maneuvers' but feel free to apply said bonus where applicable. Especially if that means turning that 'so close' failed skill check into a success. :D

Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 40/89% to detect the storm (not going around it)

Dodge Roll #1: 1d20+16 = 24 (+15 normal dodge; +5 situational bonus; +6 ship bonus; -10 damage penalty)
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 79/69% for additional +3 to dodge (FAIL)

Dodge Roll #2: 1d20+16 = 21 (+15 normal dodge; +5 situational bonus; +6 ship bonus; -10 damage penalty)
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 35/69% for additional +3 to dodge

Dodge Roll #3: 1d20+16 = 34 (+15 normal dodge; +5 situational bonus; +6 ship bonus; -10 damage penalty)
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 36/69% for additional +3 to dodge

Pilot Small Spacecraft #1 at -35% -- 1d100 = 63/60% (-15% damage penlty; -20% situational penalty) (SO CLOSE...)
Pilot Small Spacecraft #2 at -35% -- 1d100 = 57/60% (-15% damage penlty; -20% situational penalty)

Random Ley Line Storm Event: 1d100 = 95 -- Dimensional Rift!
Additional Dodge Roll: 1d20+16 = 31 (+15 normal dodge; +5 situational bonus; +6 ship bonus; -10 damage penalty)
Food is da universal language, an' me galley is da universal translator. Don't ya mess wit' either one while I'm 'round. Or even when I ain't 'round.

Please do not PM this account -- send your PMs to AGM account The Bos instead. Thanks!

------------------------------

- Max Bodily MDC: 187 ... Max ISP: 48 ... Max PPE: 12
- Armor Max MDC: 120 ... Force Field Max MDC: 110
- Natural Abilities: HF 11 ... 100’ nightvision (can see in total darkness) ... Fire/cold does 1/2 damage ... Fatigues at half rate of normal humans ... Lift 3,600 lbs & carry 1,800 lbs ... Jump 21.6’ across/10.8’ high standing; 54’ across/27’ high with running start
- Combat Notes: 8 APM ... +3 initiative; +11 strike; +13 parry; +14 dodge; +4 roll, disarm; +8 pull; +21 PS bonus ... Critical Strike on an unmodified 18-20 ... Boxing: auto KO on nat 20 for 1d6 melees ... Paired Weapons ... Body flip/throw
User avatar
Chef Icky
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm
Location: Phase World: Galactic Adventurers

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kaedras Starfall » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:42 am

Perception: 42% 1d100 = 1 (CRIT. SUCCESS)

JIC: 1d20 = 3
1d100 = 21

Conditions: (During race) Enhanced Reflexes: +1 attack per melee, +3 initiative, +1 to strike, +2 to parry and dodge. +2 to P.P. (adding further bonuses to strike/parry/dodge if boosted to 16 or higher), and +15% to all physical skills that rely on coordination or balance. Duration 8/8 minutes

Kaedras is focusing on piloting through the debris when Drax'ikl's voice comes over his suit comm, warning of the storm ahead.

Is that a ley line storm? I... can't risk the water relic. I'll have to go around if I can.

Sensory Equipment 60% 1d100 = 11 (detect storm - SUCCESS)

Navigation: Space 70% 1d100 = 82 (plot a course around - FAIL)
Navigation: Space 70% 1d100 = 36 (recovery/course correct - SUCCESS)

If Kaedras is unable to skirt outside the storm, he will do his best to navigate through it.

Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 65% or 80% 1d100 = 3 (CRIT SUCCESS)
Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 65% or 80% 1d100 = 100 (CRIT FAIL)

Dodges (including ship's bonuses):
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 68 (FAIL)
1) 1d20+22 = 28
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 30 (SUCCESS)
2) 1d20+22 = 36 + 3 = 39
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 72 (FAIL)
3) 1d20+22 = 24

Additional dodges due to having magic on me (ships bonuses not added here - if they apply, they are +6)
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 60 (FAIL)
1) 1d20+6 = 21
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 3 (CRIT SUCCESS)
2) 1d20+6 = 17 + 3 = 20
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 67 (FAIL)
3) 1d20+6 = 22
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 72 (FAIL)
4) 1d20+6 = 9

Ley Line storm roll: 1d100 = 38 Euphoria - Everyone feels good, happy and cheerful. Lasts 2d4 minutes

If this effect happens, Kaedras beams. "This racing thing isn't bad. I should try this more often. I'm... really good at this."

If Kaedras successfully course-corrected and skirted the storm, he looks around on the other side to see how much of his lead he ended up losing, and whether he has fallen behind Drax'ikl. It's not a real worry - I don't need to win after all. Him winning may put him in a good enough mood to give us what we need any way. I hope. I also hope that if I win, it doesn't put him in such a bad mood that he denies us out of spite.
Kaedras Starfall
I.S.P.: 18/168
M.D.C.: 37/37

Psionic Crystal Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Arms: 15 each
Legs: 22 each
Main Body: 35
Psionic Force Field: 70/70 (Can be used 4 times per 24 hour period without I.S.P. cost to user)
User avatar
Kaedras Starfall
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Juan Echo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:37 pm

Perception (27%): 1d100 = 66
JiC: 1d20 = 11/1d100 = 30

Skill Rolls
Charm (80%) 1d100 = 65

As the racers being their slingshot maneuver, Juan Echo is leaning on the edge of his seat, nose pressed to the mic, and eyes glued to the screens. Having viewed and participated in many low-orbit races in his time, he knows exactly what's going on. The race is tight, and everyone is about to make a big, risky move. It's exciting, it's terrifying.

"AND OUR RACERS HAVE HIT THEIR THRUSTERS!" the Wandering God roars as everyone can see the three rockets speed up rapidly.

Dark Lord wrote:Icky’s maneuvering is a little shaky, thanks to all the damage he took from space debris, but he clears perigree and activates his boosters on time without issue, catching up to Drax’ikl. Kaedras, meanwhile, has just refreshed the psionic enhancement of his reflexes, and in a flash that borders on precognition, sees an opening for some even fancier flying. Slipping in-between Drax’ikl and Icky, Kaedras hugs the innermost edge of the racetrack, ducks through an opening between two pieces of space debris that wasn’t there a minute ago (and won’t be there shortly), and emerges from perigree with boosters hot and a small but substantial lead.

"And coming through the perigree, it looks like the Priest's prayers have been answered! My personal friend Dionysius has blessed has servant and placed him back in the race. Can I have an 'AMEN' from the crowd for that flying?"

"Wait a minute! Oh my Urqos, it looks like the Star Elf is taking a decisive lead. He is slipping through the debris deftly. He's handling that rocket almost as smoothly as the hard working troopers will take care of your rocket at the World's Oldest Battalion. Join the offensive on Surge Sundays, where you get 25% for each bunkmate you bring."

Dark Lord wrote:About two-thirds of the way between perigree and home, those of you passing a read sensor equipment roll will detect a number of large meteors ahead of you- a dense storm composed mostly of ice crystals up to 1,000 feet in diameter. Kaedras also thinks he spots the telltale glow of a ley line up ahead… and something else, but he’s not sure what... As you consult your instruments, you can plot a course to bypass the storm and still stay within the bounds of the racetrack- but it will cost Kaedras about half of his lead over Drax’ikl and put Icky into a definitive third place that will be difficult to come back from in time. Alternatively, you can follow Drax’ikl’s course into the storm, and take your chances with ley lines and meteor.

As the race has gotten into a quiet groove, Juan has spent less time providing updates on the race and more time reading copy for local businesses and regaling the bar with his more inappropriate stories. He takes a slow sip from his beer when he notices the same thing that his teammates in space have. He spits his beer back into the mug, lest he let some good-ish alcohol go to waste.

"A storm is brewing, Urqos," the Wanderer says in a grave tone. "It is going to take some elite flying from our pilots to get through this. Is that? Some of the more experienced pilots among you know what these readings are showing. There is magic in the air, tonight. Any. Thing. Can. Happen."

Juan sets down his beer and throws his hands in the air. This is the best kind of low-orbit race - competitive and full of high risk moves that raise the stakes more than any amount of money. It is the kind of race that typically ends in a fatality. RIP Bar Echo, Urqos Jean, Leh Echo, Umbra Echo, Pen Echo, Tel Echo, Waka Echo, Urqos Rachel, Kerm Echo, Townes Echo, Urqos Gris... and that's just the ones that died in the past century.
Status: Juan Echo
M.D.C.: 300/300
P.P.E.: 50/50
I.S.P.: 76/76

May the rest of the Yayamama Pantheon have mercy on our SOULS!
User avatar
Juan Echo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Starchief » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 am

Perception: 1d100 = 50/59%
JIC: 1d20 = 16/1d100 = 14

Why is she talking to me like I'm some sort of child? She can't possibly... Ohhhhh... Starchief comes to the realizations that:
  • The female-dominant society thinks of men as second class citizens (e.g. the guards, his current treatment)
  • That his power of super-affability might be working a little too well with her

"A Naruni executive, you say? We'd love to join you for that meal." He notes again, Torrigan's dismissal of his words and direct communication with the women of the group. Oh geez. This is going to be interesting. Cleaning up, Starchief makes sure to scrub up nicely to present his best self at this dinner.

Starchief tries numerous times to get his voice heard and is time and time again ignored. The other six women paying his attempts no heed either begins to frustrate the captain. After a while, Starchief turns to Mara to have a quick 'secret meeting' at the dinner table. "She's... not listening to me. But she takes you two women seriously. And I think she has a little crush on me. Let's use those things to our advantage. We need to let her know about the artifact and get her permission to use it tomorrow. See if she'll let you speak at the table. But be careful. I'll try... other methods of persuasion."

Starchief matches the Commandant's glances and gives the occasional wink and/or smirk as is wise. (Seduction: 1d100 = 58/75% - PASS) He makes a few small facial gestures implying a desire to 'speak' outside. But mostly, he listens closely to the conversation and enjoys ungodly portions of Atavarian pate.
Starchief
Andra "Starchief" Sekona
the Shield of Seeron

MDC: 439/439|Costume: 20/20

Saving Throw Bonuses:
Vs. Insanity: +9|Vs. Magic: +10|Vs. Possession: +7|Vs. Psionic: +7
Vs. Poison: +7|Vs. Mind Control: +6|Vs. Disease: +6|Vs. Illusion: +5
Vs. Horror Factor: +8|Vs. Coma/Death: +51%|Perception: +3


Image

Ledger
User avatar
Starchief
Group Leader
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Phase World PC (Adventurers)

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Mara » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:48 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 77 / 65% (95% when dealing with vampires or undead)
JiC: 1d20 = 15 1d100 = 67

Conditions: Eye of Knowledge (15)-- 90 min duration, understand and speak all languages at 96%, literate at 82%

Mara says "Will do," to Starburst. She is bored with the conversation and is reminded of the times when she was a child and had to sit in the council meetings on Alexandria, with her parents. Athena, can these woman talk about nothing. Even Decker looks a bit annoyed. She stifles yawns and becomes evermore amused watching Starburst try to be taken seriously. He is pretty, but this is ridiculous. After watching Starburst get cut off for the 20th time, she tries to speak up and is relatively blunt. "Commandant Torrigan, I don't believe I have introduced myself. My apologies, I am Mara Archerean of Clan Archerean from Alexandria. My team and I have come across another of the elemental artifacts. Water. One has bonded with it. We need to test it and get our man up to speed on how to use it properly for the safety of all concerned. We would like to use it tomorrow. Quan recommended that we work out these details with you. Are you amenable to these actions. I understand that many have serious concerns about the use of these artifacts. However, they are important to the safety of this world." She pauses and tries to note reactions.

Interrogation-- 1d100 = 88 / 67%
Trust/intimidate-- 1d100 = 23 / 55%
Mara Archerean

PPE: 288 / 288
ISP: 85 / 85
MDC: 381/381
H.F.: 14
Heart in Chains Tattoo: 0/450 MDC(inactive)

Constant: Sixth Sense

Soundtrack:
''Zombie'' by Damned Anthem
Evanescence - Bring Me To Life (Ghost in the Machine Remix)
Adele vs. Linkin Park - Set Fire To The End
Tomorrow We Fight
User avatar
Mara
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Dark Lord » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:57 pm

In the bar, Juan Echo continues his spirited commentating on the race- noting the travails of all participants, culminating in a daredevil attempt at flying through a ley line storm. As the pirates grow progressively drunker, louder, and more animated as the race proceeds towards its climax, Juan continues to ingratiate himself with them but finds their own comments growing less and less coherent as the evening proceeds. Whether that is for the best depends on how the race unfolds.

Outside, Kar is mightily irritated at himself at allowing the Felias to get the drop on him. Reacting instinctively to the presence of a knife at his throat, Kar surprises his foe with his strength and forces the knife away before it can so much as scratch him. The ex-guardsman’s follow-up judo throw, unfortunately, as less successful as the Felias slips out of Kar’s grasp and promptly vanishes. The Thropo casts about for his opponent, and is thus completely unprepared when a one-inch tall Felias zooms up from the ground and delivers a full-size uppercut to the Thropo’s jaw (and is that a tiny vibro-blade?) ((-12 MDC to your head/helmet Kar)). The mini-Felias promptly zooms out of Kar’s reach, even as the latter draws his blade, and squeaks out in a high-pitched voice that would be adorably hilarious under other circumstances, ”Look, asshole, I was just mindin’ my own business and doing a little drinking, when you plopped yer butt down and started eyeing. So I left, figured I’d check my tail like always, and surprise surprise there you are! What’reya, a Tracer? Look- I don't want no trouble. I can make it worth yer while to forget you saw me.” While the Felias continues to hover, diminutive and out of easy melee reach, he doesn’t appear to be making any more hostile moves.

Meanwhile, the two pilots have to decide how they will confront this latest wrinkle. Icky, having decided something along the lines of ‘in for a penny, in for a pound’ fires back on the ol’ banter radio and makes a play for the heart of the storm. Kaedras, however, is cognizant of the alien relic buried in his forehead, and decides not to risk it. The elf attempts to pilot around the edge of the storm and minimize the losses to his lead, but misjudges his navigation and ends up clipping the edge. With Drax’ikl cackling on the radio, the three of you try to navigate through the storm with a minimum of damage. Dodging the meteors proves simple enough- the chunks of ice and rock are large but slow, and your fighters easily maneuver around them.

Icky gets the fright of his life when a dimensional rift opens right in front of him, and the minotaur barely avoids a collision with the portal to who-knows-where. Proximity sensors show something emerging, but the three of you punch it and quickly leave the rift in the dust. The maneuver costs Icky, however- his fighter collides with a small piece of space debris that does some damage to the ship’s main body, and causes him to slip a little further into third place. Kaedras, meanwhile, curses as his cockpit lights up with the magical energy of the let line storm. He prepares to try and maneuver both his body and his ship around any interference from the storm- but curiously, it appears to have no effect on the relic in his body. Kaedras’ sigh of relief soon turns to laughter, and then hysterics as an alien, almost artificial euphoria comes over him. The experience reminds the mind melter of nothing so much as his most recent outing with Juan, and all the narcotics that entails. Kaedras feels himself carried off on a cloud of laughter, and his vision goes dark. In his own fighter, Icky sees Kaedras veer wildly over the racecourse- at one point disappearing into the heart of the storm and seeming destroyed, only to appear on the other side as if by magic. Drax’ikl pilots a slightly saner, but similar course, and ends up shaving Kaedras’ lead to a mere 500 or so feet.

You clear the storm. Some 2d4-1 = 5 minutes later Kaedras returns to his senses- somehow still in the lead and miraculously undamaged, if a little disconcerted over what just happened. However as you both look around and check sensors, you realize that Drax’ikl is gone! Both the man and his ship have vanished as if they never were- presumably in the ley line storm. There are no energy readings to indicate an explosion, no debris or other indications of a collision, and no distress or other signals. He’s just… gone. Presumably the race is still on- you’re only 15 minutes from the finish line at your boosted speed… but then what?

Back in the bar, Juan can confirm Drax’ikl’s disappearance on the sensors. The pirates do not immediately appear to notice.

Things are considerably less exciting in the Atorians’ wing of the camp. Starchief is a little flustered as he realizes that he is the butt of some good, old-fashioned sexism. For once, his good looks and charm may not be working to his advantage as he struggles to be heard and met with anything more than a patronizing brush-off in response. Metri hunkers down and makes a small show of enjoying his repast, deciding perhaps to let the women of the team field this one. Partway through the main course, Aoife apparently eats something that doesn’t agree with her- looking distinctly green around the gills, the supersoldier abruptly gets up, mumbles an ”Excuse me”, and heads back towards the ship at a brisk trot (where she will remain for the rest of the evening). Mara however steps up- the Undead Slayer is no stranger to the ways of the aristocracy, and with the aid of her gender manages to ingratiate herself with the nobility present eventually. To the extend that any non-Atorian can, anyway. ”It is so refreshing to have refined company at these sorts of things. The other troops here are little more than common riffraff- why, most of them wouldn’t even have been fit to be minions back in the old days of the Empire. Dis-graceful.”

Starchief contents himself with quieting down and matching the Commandant tit-for-tat, who appears receptive to the possibility but unwilling to leave the dinner until all Serious Business has been attended to. Right on cue, Mara lays out the purpose of your visit. She is taken a good deal more seriously than the men, with several of the ancient nobleladies present murmuring at the extraordinary nature of this new development. Prior to now a reserved but adequate participant in the conversation, VED Decker leans forward in interest at the mention of a new relic. ”Extraordinary! A water relic, you say? Then there is an elemental theme. Where did you find this device? What do you know about it? Is it technological, magical? The Free World Council has not allowed my technicians much in the way of access, but I understand that these devices are rumored to be creations of the First Race! Commandant, you must allow this test to proceed.” He turns to Torrigan.

The Atorian leader purses her lips. ”I don’t know, are you sure it’s safe? The Battleground is a vital foothold in our defense against the Kreeghor. It would be an unmitigated disaster if anything were to compromise our defensive posture here.” Decker shrugs and brushes away the concern. ”This is the most secure facility in the sector. Even in the worst-case scenario, the Kreeghor would need an agent on-site and privy to high-level deliberations between you and the other resistance leaders station here. I assume, of course, that your team isn’t blathering this information to any mercenary within shouting distance.” He looks, a trifle expectantly, at Starchief (a welcome change of pace). Assuming Decker is reassured, he continues ”Frankly, I think it sounds like it is worth the risk.” From much of the nobility’s frowns, they remain unconvinced (the nobility is an historically risk-averse lot), but Torrigan appears thoughtful, considering your proposal. Meanwhile, the main course is finished, and the meal eventually proceeds to desert and other digestifs.

What are you doing?
Why kill a PC when you can torture their player?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Dark Lord
Dimension Master
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 am
Location: DIMENSION MASTER: PHASE WORLD

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kar Fallax » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:43 am

Perception: Invalid dice code! vs 24%
JIC: Invalid dice code! and Invalid dice code!

Dark Lord wrote:Outside, Kar is mightily irritated at himself at allowing the Felias to get the drop on him. Reacting instinctively to the presence of a knife at his throat, Kar surprises his foe with his strength and forces the knife away before it can so much as scratch him. The ex-guardsman’s follow-up judo throw, unfortunately, as less successful as the Felias slips out of Kar’s grasp and promptly vanishes. The Thropo casts about for his opponent, and is thus completely unprepared when a one-inch tall Felias zooms up from the ground and delivers a full-size uppercut to the Thropo’s jaw (and is that a tiny vibro-blade?) ((-12 MDC to your head/helmet Kar)). The mini-Felias promptly zooms out of Kar’s reach, even as the latter draws his blade, and squeaks out in a high-pitched voice that would be adorably hilarious under other circumstances, ”Look, asshole, I was just mindin’ my own business and doing a little drinking, when you plopped yer butt down and started eyeing. So I left, figured I’d check my tail like always, and surprise surprise there you are! What’reya, a Tracer? Look- I don't want no trouble. I can make it worth yer while to forget you saw me.” While the Felias continues to hover, diminutive and out of easy melee reach, he doesn’t appear to be making any more hostile moves.


Kar stares at the Felias, This little pip squeak is gonna..., then thinks better of the offer. If he was minding his own business, why does he care if I saw him? "I'm no tracer." The simian forces out with a chuff, "It's my business to know my surroundings. You had an odd look, then you ran. Pretty suspicious. What are you so scared of to make you run so quick? I might be able to forget I saw you. What do you have to offer?" The Thropo relaxes his sword slightly.

Kar scans his current surrounding briefly, not wanting to take his eyes off the mini kitty for too long. He waits for the the Felias to reply considering, I know nothing of the politics here. The felias may well be unimportant. Something must be up, for him to run. Unless. Considering it may have been a distraction Kar radios Juan, "Is all well in the bar?"
User avatar
Kar Fallax
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 am

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kaedras Starfall » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:08 am

Perception: 42% 1d100 = 89

JIC: 1d20 = 5
1d100 = 48

As Kaedras comes back around to his senses, he sees that Drax'ikl is no longer on his tail - or anywhere, presumably. Kaedras does a sensor sweep, and slows down. Winning the race is pointless if Drax'ikl dies.

Sensory Equipment 60% 1d100 = 39 (try to find Drax'ikl - SUCCESS)

He keys his suit comm to radio Icky - hoping that the latter is within range. Drax'ikl was able to reach my suit radio on comms. Let's hope it works the other way as well.

"Chef, any sign of Drax'ikl? If he didn't emerge from that storm we may have to go in after him."

And I don't want to - I shouldn't risk the water relic... Yet if he needs saving, we must.

If his sensors pick up Drax'ikl's signal back in the storm, Kaedras will turn his ship around and go in after him, attempting to follow his exhaust and or comms trail.

Sensory Equipment 60% 1d100 = 89 (Identify Drax'ikl's course - FAIL)
If he cannot find Drax'ikl's trajectory, he will leave the storm immediately.

Navigation: Space 70% 1d100 = 84 (Follow Drax'ikl's course - FAIL)

Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 65% or 80% 1d100 = 19 - SUCCESS
Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 65% or 80% 1d100 = 31 - SUCCESS

Dodges (including ship's bonuses):
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 24 - SUCCESS
1) 1d20+25 = 38
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 26 - SUCCESS
2) 1d20+25 = 28
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 70 - FAIL
3) 1d20+22 = 25

Additional dodges due to having magic on me (ships bonuses not added here - if they apply, they are +6)
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 37 - SUCCESS
1) 1d20+9 = 20
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 8 - SUCCESS
2) 1d20+9 = 15
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 75 - FAIL
3) 1d20+6 = 14
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 38 - SUCCESS
4) 1d20+9 = 29

Ley Line storm roll: 1d100 = 54 (Euphoria again)

If Kaedras cannot detect Drax'ikl with his ship's sensors, he will wait for Icky to reply before deciding the next course of action.
Kaedras Starfall
I.S.P.: 18/168
M.D.C.: 37/37

Psionic Crystal Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Arms: 15 each
Legs: 22 each
Main Body: 35
Psionic Force Field: 70/70 (Can be used 4 times per 24 hour period without I.S.P. cost to user)
User avatar
Kaedras Starfall
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Previous

Return to Phase World: The Three Galaxies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron