[GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

The Anvil, Corkscrew, and Thundercloud galaxies.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Dark Lord » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:33 am

In the pirates’ bar, Juan Echo finishes his drink and begs off of the race, but encourages his young elven comrade to make the attempt himself. After some demurral and some deliberation, Kaedras recognizes the race as a test of skill that will provide the perfect opportunity to accomplish the team’s goal, and secure Drax’ikl’s cooperation. Icky, having drained his drink, shakes his head inwardly at Juan turning down the race and decides to remedy the situation. As his entrance with the others and subsequent attempt to play neutral observer weren’t the most subtle, anyway, Icky throws his hat in the ring. Drax’ikl cackles, ”It’s a race, then! Winner takes 15k- not a bad haul.” At this, a clearly intoxicated Wulfen (or some other canoid species) staggers to his feet and announces in a slurred voice that he will join the bout as well. A few of his nearby compatriots nearby shakes their heads, but most of the pirates cheer this news- including Drax’ikl. If you do nothing to dissuade him, the clearly intoxicated fellow will join the race- after shaking on the stakes, the three (four) of you head out towards the makeshift starport.

While Kaedras, Icky, and their 1-2 opponents are slipping into flight suits and prepping for takeoff, the bar prepares a jury-rigged but surprisingly detailed tracking and display system to give the audience something to cheer at for the full, roughly two-hour race. Apparently, this isn’t Drax’ikl’s first rodeo, and as Juan mingles with the pirates and listens more than he speaks, it becomes apparent that the audience is fully expecting Drax to win. Apparently, he has something of a reputation as a turbo-jockey among his men, and he makes a habit of fleecing “fresh meat.” It’s not that uncommon for the occasional challenger to damage or even destroy their ship during the run, but hearing the pirates talk about life on Axis you come to realize they’ve actually gotten bored. The Free World Council’s ultimate defense is a little too ultimate- those used to zipping through space in nimble fighters find themselves with little to do when the Kreeghor won’t attack, and the occasional blood sport is apparently acceptable to their ilk in exchange for some entertainment. Juan can’t help but begin to worry a little about his teammates going up into orbit- the Dime Store Magic is substantially slower than the Draygon Star Hawks, and if something happens it may be an unacceptably long time before help can arrive. Even Kar feels a twinge of worry for his new teammates.

Kar has other things on his mind, though. A Felias isn’t exactly the sort of species one expects to find inside an encampment of freedom fighters, and knowing the Atorians as he does Kar can’t help but wonder if something else might be going on. It soon becomes apparent that the Felias’ goals in the room don’t seem terribly different from Kar’s own, if involving a great deal more alcohol. The felinoid appears to be content to remain in his corner and quietly drink away, pouring slug after slug out of a worn brown bottle. He largely observes the conversation preceding the race, but more than once he spies Kar watching him and locks eyes with the Thropo for a good couple of seconds. After a few minutes of solid drinking, and just as the pirates are finishing up the construction of their race-o-vision Kar turns away. When he turns back, the Felias has slipped out the back, leaving his bottle behind. Before the festivities begin.

It isn’t long before Kaedras and Icky are suited up and ready to race. You are both provided with generic but serviceable (if dirty) spacers’ suits, or you may bring your own EBA if it is up to code- but the latter option will prompt a quick inspection from a few of the pirates who’ve come out to see you off. Assuming they find nothing that would be deemed to provide an unfair advantage, you are subsequently bundled up into your star fighters, and launched into orbit from the spaceport with the help of a very crude air traffic control. From there it’s only a few minutes to get into orbit and to follow Drax’ikl to the agreed-upon starting line over the equator. Drax comes on a general comm frequency.

”For those of you newcomers, the rules are simple. All missile launchers have been disabled, and direct energy weapons fire on another ship in the race will result in disqualification. The space junk in orbit, on the other hand…” He trails off for dramatic effect, hiccups (or maybe belches a little) into the comm, then continues ”Fighter booster systems are fully charged and good for a grand total of one hour of flight time. Fighter sensors have been configured to let you know when you’ve gone out of bounds for the race- it’s a 20-mile strip centered over the equator and surrounding the planet at an altitude of 60 miles. I’ve set a locator beacon at these coordinates as the finish line- first ship within five miles according to sensors takes the pot. Any questions?” If not, once all the pilots signal their readiness, Drax’ikl initiates a computer-controlled countdown, and you are off to the races.

If you did not dissuade the drunken canoid from racing, one of the other ships activates its booster almost immediately after the race starts, and fires off on a slightly erratic course well ahead of you. Those of you that do not will trail at a significant distance for the first half of the race, and find yourselves jockeying with Drax’ikl for position while the booster fighter falls off of short-range sensors (including visual). Kaedras finds himself struggling to match the turbo-jockey, and focuses on psionically enhancing his reflexes to give himself an extra edge ((Kaedras: -150 ISP to maintain enhanced reflexes for the entire race, -80 ISP for the first 64 minutes)).

The first five minutes or so are calm- the three fighters keep pace with one another (possibly with a fourth far ahead), and everyone gets a chance to get a feel for the controls and the racetrack. Despite taking place in the void of outer space, the latter term is an apt description- the course is narrow enough that your freedom to maneuver is fairly restricted, and here as in everywhere else on Axis the planet lives up to its name of the Battlefield. The wreckage of destroyed fleets, satellites, orbital defenses, and cargo containers is everywhere, and simply navigating it safely at top speed proves a stimulating challenge. Drax’ikl easily slips into the lead position of the three of you, but both Icky and Kaedras manage to keep up (though Icky finds it quite challenging). Then, Drax’ikl ups the ante, and begins darting to the edge of the racetrack closest to the planet. Hugging the edge of the track will technically allow him to cover ground faster at the same speed as the rest of you (analogous to the inside of a two-dimensional race track), which over the course of a two-hour race will add up to a substantial advantage come the finish line (to say nothing of whatever Drax’ikl has planned for his booster). If you want to stay in the race, you have to either match his course or use your booster early.

Those of you who try to match Drax’ikl will shortly uncover the method to his madness- by restricting the range of mobility even further, the race becomes an obstacle course, with the turbo-jockey easily maneuvering around the ample space debris and the rest of you trying to match him. As the race progresses through its first hour, Drax’ikl grows increasingly aggressive in his maneuvers, nearly causing collisions on multiple occasions as a result. Kaedras is largely able to keep pace, but at one point gets sideswiped by Drax’ikl into a large chunk of debris. While the elf is able to recover quickly, and his progress is unhindered, he discovers after things calm down that the impact knocked out his communications system. Conversely Icky, who does not have Kaedras’ psionic enhancements, does not fare as well trying to mimic Drax’ikl’s death-defying maneuvers. Three times Icky is driven into rough collisions with space debris, and once he thinks Drax’ikl even hits him with his ship. Though the minotaur is able to stay in the race, several ship’s subsystems have been damaged- main engines, radar and computers, maneuvering rockets and missile launcher down (not that the latter was an option for this race anyway). It is not going to get easier from here on out.

Despite some setbacks, the three of you more or less hang together for the first hour of the race. As you reach the halfway point, curving around the far side of the planet from the finish line, Drax’ikl suddenly activates his boosters and arcs his ship on a tight angle around the planet. Those of you with functioning computers or who make an appropriate skill check (e.g., astrophysics) will realize that the turbo-jockey is attempting a crude slingshot maneuver using his booster and the trajectory around the planet. And of course, it takes him right next to several intimidating pieces of space junk. Duplicating the effort will be difficult, but not impossible- failing to do so will likely give Drax’ikl a small but insurmountable lead for the rest of the race.

What are you doing?

Race Modifiers
Kaedras: Communications down.
Icky: -15% on all piloting maneuvers, -10 to strike/parry/dodge for the rest of the race. Landing the ship safely will require a piloting skill check at -15%.
Both of you post one skill check at -25% to match Drax’ikl’s slingshot maneuver, and three more piloting skill rolls for the next leg of the race.
Why kill a PC when you can torture their player?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Dark Lord
Dimension Master
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 am
Location: DIMENSION MASTER: PHASE WORLD

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kar Fallax » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:33 am

Perception: 1d100 = 67 vs 24%
JIC: 1d20 = 11 and 1d100 = 51

Dark Lord wrote:Kar has other things on his mind, though. A Felias isn’t exactly the sort of species one expects to find inside an encampment of freedom fighters, and knowing the Atorians as he does Kar can’t help but wonder if something else might be going on. It soon becomes apparent that the Felias’ goals in the room don’t seem terribly different from Kar’s own, if involving a great deal more alcohol. The felinoid appears to be content to remain in his corner and quietly drink away, pouring slug after slug out of a worn brown bottle. He largely observes the conversation preceding the race, but more than once he spies Kar watching him and locks eyes with the Thropo for a good couple of seconds. After a few minutes of solid drinking, and just as the pirates are finishing up the construction of their race-o-vision Kar turns away. When he turns back, the Felias has slipped out the back, leaving his bottle behind. Before the festivities begin.


When Kar locks eyes with the Felias he becomes keenly aware, This is the danger. Quickly turning to see if the team left yet and finding the Felias gone upon his returned attention Kar becomes angry. Coward! He quickly makes his way tot he table the Felias was sitting at, pick the brown bottle up and sniffs, Was he even drinking? Water I bet.

After confirming if the cowardly kitty had been pretending to drink or not he looks for the most obvious exit point and makes his way out after the creature, keying up the team radio, "I am in pursuit of a suspicious Felias." Kar does not wait for a response and does his best to track and follow Felias. Confident he can move quickly enough he heads out.
User avatar
Kar Fallax
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 am

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Juan Echo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:23 pm

Perception (27%): 1d100 = 69
JiC: 1d20 = 12/1d100 = 58
Relevant Skills
Charm/Impress (80%) -- 1d100 = 44: Convince the drunk Wulfen to stay on the ground and drink some more
Charm (80%) -- 1d100 = 29: Chat up the drunk Wulfen's friends
Charm (80%) -- 1d100 = 48: Color commentary
Charm (80%) -- 1d100 = 31:Court-side interview

Juan pats Kaedras on the shoulder and gives him a telepathic nod: Remember, it's not a matter of winning or losing, it's about putting on a good show. If you impress him, he will be more likely to let us access the ruins or use the water relic.

Urqos Icky wrote:"Oi dere, chum..." he gives a nod to Drax'ikl. "Big Red 'ere may not be up fer a frendly game o' 'race 'round da planet,' but I been itchin' ta take one o' dose Hawk beauties fer a spin fer a while now. Way I see it, 5 grand ain't dat bad a rental fee fer a balls-ta-da-walls test drive... an' if I 'appen ta win, well..." he shrugs. "Even better, y'know?"

Juan's eyes lighten up, and he looks to the priest and says, "Excellent! We have a dark wing entering the race. The priest, Icky, is my co-pilot. And given his background, more experience with smaller craft." Turning to the crowd, "How about it? I'll wager 5,000 UTC that either of my shipmates can outfly Drax'ikl? Any takers?" (Note: This is a second bet, on top of the wager Juan made to Drax'ikl that Kaedras can beat him, and he'll offer it to anyone in the bar, including...)

Juan uses the moment to scan the crowd and sees the drunken Wulfen, and his beleaguered friends, making his way to the front. Working a bar is a delicate act of balancing chaos. A drunk Wulfen interrupting a dangerous low-orbit rocket race throws that balance off. One can't predict what a wildcard like that will do, or how he will affect the race. (Says the wildcard at the bar) The Wander sidles between the Wulfen and his friends and starts making idle chatter: "He any good? ... I think I heard that the race between those three is a rematch ... Why do you want in on the race? Something to prove or just bored? ... Need another round of shots before the race? I'll get the first if you get the second... Yes! Both shots before you fly... Anyone want to do a round of cards or darts?"

Then, before returning to the bar, Juan looks to both at both of his teammates and telepathically sends them a message: Also, try not to die. Many members of the Yayamama Pantheon have died in low-orbit rocket races. I need both hands to count the number of cousins that have hit died in fiery crashes.

Whether or not he convinces the Wulfen to go back to the bar, Juan strikes up a conversation with the pirates. He tries to signal Kar to join him. But a quick glance and he has lost sight of the serious soldier. Perhaps he knocked back a few and decided to cut loose. Good for him. Wait, does Urqos Kar know how to unwind? Jonny, where could he-

Urqos Kar wrote:"I am in pursuit of a suspicious Felias."

Juan doesn't reach for his radio, instead opting for a simple telepathic message: Be careful. Don't go too far away; and definitely don't enter a strange building.

"Well, it looks my other crew-mate has decided to run off without me. Care to join me for a drink?" Juan goes on to ask them about life in the camp, leading to the latest gossip, leading to earnest questions about politics on Axis-5, leading to their thoughts on the Atorians. Juan uses the time it take Icky and Kaedras to put on their EBA's, take off, and reach to the starting line to get a sense of what the political climate is like on the planet, and how treacherous are the different factions. Once he has finished, and presumably before the race has started, Juan will pay for the pirates' next round and wander around the bar until he spots tracking system. He sits next to it. Watching eagerly, Juan starts to provide a running commentary on the race.

Dark Lord wrote:The first five minutes or so are calm- the three fighters keep pace with one another, and everyone gets a chance to get a feel for the controls and the racetrack... and here as in everywhere else on Axis the planet lives up to its name of the Battlefield. The wreckage of destroyed fleets, satellites, orbital defenses, and cargo containers is everywhere, and simply navigating it safely at top speed proves a stimulating challenge. Drax’ikl easily slips into the lead position of the three of you, but both Icky and Kaedras manage to keep up (though Icky finds it quite challenging).

"And as finish our racers their first 10 degrees of travel, the Pirate King is taking off like a thief in the night. The Star Elf is managing to keep it close... And here comes the space debris! The Priest gets caught like a bull in a china shop, and he is falling behind."

Dark Lord wrote:Hugging the edge of the track will technically allow him to cover ground faster at the same speed as the rest of you (analogous to the inside of a two-dimensional race track), which over the course of a two-hour race will add up to a substantial advantage come the finish line (to say nothing of whatever Drax’ikl has planned for his booster). If you want to stay in the race, you have to either match his course or use your booster early.

"The Pirate King is lording it over the others as he sets the pace so far. The Star Elf is close behind, shadowing his moves, and the Priest is in third, praying that he can close the gap."

"Home field advantage is really helping the Pirate King, as he is plotting the tightest course around the space debris. He is maneuvering around the battlefield like me at a crowded brothel. Which reminds me, this race is brought to you by the World's Oldest Regiment: providing the armed services with services to their *ahem* arms as long as there has been a fight to fight."

Dark Lord wrote:Those of you who try to match Drax’ikl will shortly uncover the method to his madness- by restricting the range of mobility even further, the race becomes an obstacle course, with the turbo-jockey easily maneuvering around the ample space debris and the rest of you trying to match him. As the race progresses through its first hour, Drax’ikl grows increasingly aggressive in his maneuvers, nearly causing collisions on multiple occasions as a result.

As Drax'ikl pulls into a clear part of space, Juan hails him on the radio. "Urqos Drax'ikl, that is some slick flying. What are some of the more dangerous pieces of space debris you need to look out for? ... It looks like Urqos Icky has lost a few systems, which systems would you say are the most expendable on a Star Hawk in this race?"

Dark Lord wrote:While the elf is able to recover quickly, and his progress is unhindered, he discovers after things calm down that the impact knocked out his communications system.

"That last hit has left the Space Elf speechless, much like you will be if you go and visit World's Oldest Regiment, where the ladies are as shimmery and soft as the Star Elf. Unless that's not what you're into, in which case come down to the World's Oldest Regiment for some of the roughest treatment in the Battlefield."

Dark Lord wrote:Conversely Icky, who does not have Kaedras’ psionic enhancements, does not fare as well trying to mimic Drax’ikl’s death-defying maneuvers. Three times Icky is driven into rough collisions with space debris, and once he thinks Drax’ikl even hits him with his ship. Though the minotaur is able to stay in the race, several ship’s subsystems have been damaged- main engines, radar and computers, maneuvering rockets and missile launcher down (not that the latter was an option for this race anyway). It is not going to get easier from here on out.

"And the Priest is taking a beating. I haven't seen him hit that hard since... well, every fight that he has ever been in. If anyone can recover from this kind of beating it is the Priest. But does he have the moves to do it?"

Dark Lord wrote:Despite some setbacks, the three of you more or less hang together for the first hour of the race. As you reach the halfway point, curving around the far side of the planet from the finish line, Drax’ikl suddenly activates his boosters and arcs his ship on a tight angle around the planet.

"It looks like the Pirate King is accelerating rapidly... is he hitting his boosters? Ladies and gentlemen, I believe that Urqos Drax'ikl is going to try and use the planet's gravity and his boosters to take the money and run!
Status: Juan Echo
M.D.C.: 300/300
P.P.E.: 50/50
I.S.P.: 76/76

May the rest of the Yayamama Pantheon have mercy on our SOULS!
User avatar
Juan Echo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Starchief » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:47 am

Perception: 1d100 = 32/59%
JIC: 1d20 = 12/1d100 = 50

Groups
Torrigan, The Atorian Commandant
Aoife
Mara
Metri
Starchief

Drax'ikl, Leader of the Mercenary Forces
Icky
Juan Echo
Kaedras
Kar


"Ah, Commandant Torrigan! It is an honor to make your acquaintance." Starchief turns back to the rest of his crew. "Shall we follow and get that bite to eat?" Assuming a positive acknowledgement, he follows the Commandant to whatever building they are lead to. As she suggests, he has the crew leave their weapons behind but assigns Aoife to watch over their gear. "I'll bring you back a plate. Keep all of this safe. Disable anyone who attempts to steal from us."

"So Commandant, before we break bread I must say, we are here on important business. I would love to regale you with tales of the stars at a later time, but we must speak on the matters at hand quickly." (Trust: 1d100 = 13/92%)
Starchief
Andra "Starchief" Sekona
the Shield of Seeron

MDC: 439/439|Costume: 20/20

Saving Throw Bonuses:
Vs. Insanity: +9|Vs. Magic: +10|Vs. Possession: +7|Vs. Psionic: +7
Vs. Poison: +7|Vs. Mind Control: +6|Vs. Disease: +6|Vs. Illusion: +5
Vs. Horror Factor: +8|Vs. Coma/Death: +51%|Perception: +3


Image

Ledger
User avatar
Starchief
Group Leader
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Phase World PC (Adventurers)

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Chef Icky » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:52 am

Perception: 1d100 = 62/43%
JIC: 1d20 = 14/1d100 = 43

Conditions:
  • main engines, radar and computers, maneuvering rockets and missile launcher down (not that the latter was an option for this race anyway)
  • -15% on all piloting maneuvers
  • -10 to strike/parry/dodge for the rest of the race
  • Landing the ship safely will require a piloting skill check at -15%
  • Still feeling somewhat optimistic...


Icky grunts, hollers, and curses as his ship gets roughly banged around like an Arcturian prostitute on the eve of battle. Or was it after the battle? And why am I thinking about this now? He grumbles to himself. Oh yeah, it's because I'm about to get royally frelled from being so rusty behind the stick.

He thinks back to Juan's last 'words' sent telepathically. Don't die. Hey thanks a lot.

"Oi, Red, I swear if I snuff it up 'ere I'm comin' back an' frakkin' hauntin' yer arse..." he grunts between clenched teeth. "Well, nobody promised me I was gonna live forever... an' I'm probably way frakkin' overdue fer me date wit' da reaper anyway." He grabs the throttle and jams his thumb down on the booster. "Big D guide me... or at least open me up a keg fer when I get dere. OOH RAH!!!!!!!!"

Piloting Rolls
Both of you post one skill check at -25% to match Drax’ikl’s slingshot maneuver, and three more piloting skill rolls for the next leg of the race.

(penalties accounted for -- Icky's normal pilot skill is 95% and is usually +15 to dodge)

Pilot Small Spacecraft at -25% to match Drax’ikl’s slingshot maneuver -- 1d100 = 37/70% (55% if penalties stack)
Pilot Small Spacecraft at -15% #1 -- 1d100 = 40/80%
Pilot Small Spacecraft at -15% #2 -- 1d100 = 20/80%
Pilot Small Spacecraft at -15% #3 -- 1d100 = 13/80%

Dodges at -10: 1d20+5 = 15, 1d20+5 = 20, 1d20+5 = 19, 1d20+5 = 12, 1d20+5 = 11, 1d20+5 = 15, 1d20+5 = 23, 1d20+5 = 14
Food is da universal language, an' me galley is da universal translator. Don't ya mess wit' either one while I'm 'round. Or even when I ain't 'round.

Please do not PM this account -- send your PMs to AGM account The Bos instead. Thanks!

------------------------------

- Max Bodily MDC: 187 ... Max ISP: 48 ... Max PPE: 12
- Armor Max MDC: 120 ... Force Field Max MDC: 110
- Natural Abilities: HF 11 ... 100’ nightvision (can see in total darkness) ... Fire/cold does 1/2 damage ... Fatigues at half rate of normal humans ... Lift 3,600 lbs & carry 1,800 lbs ... Jump 21.6’ across/10.8’ high standing; 54’ across/27’ high with running start
- Combat Notes: 8 APM ... +3 initiative; +11 strike; +13 parry; +14 dodge; +4 roll, disarm; +8 pull; +21 PS bonus ... Critical Strike on an unmodified 18-20 ... Boxing: auto KO on nat 20 for 1d6 melees ... Paired Weapons ... Body flip/throw
User avatar
Chef Icky
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm
Location: Phase World: Galactic Adventurers

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kaedras Starfall » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:40 pm

Perception: 42% 1d100 = 47

JIC: 1d20 = 9
1d100 = 82

Conditions: (During race) Enhanced Reflexes: +1 attack per melee, +3 initiative, +1 to strike, +2 to parry and dodge. +2 to P.P. (adding further bonuses to strike/parry/dodge if boosted to 16 or higher), and +15% to all physical skills that rely on coordination or balance. Duration 8/8 minutes

"Comms are out... Lets hope I don't need to radio for help." Kaedras recovers from the collisions and tries to match Drax'ikl's speed, hoping to overtake the turbojockey at least once during the race.

When Kaedras figures out that the turbojockey is using a slingshot maneuver, of all things, to speed up, yet somehow stay in orbit, he's a bit shocked. ...how? Slingshot maneuver pulls you in a straight shot that breaks orbit... he's fighting against his own physics to stay in orbit! maybe... maybe the ship's own maneuver thrusters are strong enough to keep orbit intact?

Kaedras will try to mimic the maneuver, knowing if he fails he will either lose the race or rocket off into interplanetary space (thus leaving the track and consequently also losing the race). Kaedras will reapply his enhanced relflexes as necessary throughout the course. This use of my mental abilities is taxing, but I need to make a good showing. Hopefully we will have an opportunity for me to rest before trying for the pyramid.

Of all the inssane...

Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 60% or 75% 1d100 = 3 ("slingshot maneuver" - CRIT SUCCESS)

Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 85% or 100% 1d100 = 2 (CRIT SUCCESS)
Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 85% or 100% 1d100 = 66 (SUCCESS)
Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 85% or 100% 1d100 = 70 (SUCCESS)


Navigation: Space 70% 1d100 = 34 (Avoid obstacles, take shortest path - SUCCESS)


Initiative: 1d20+7 = 13

APM: 6

Actions 1-5: use piloting to dodge (note, dodge rolls use Enhanced Reflexes bonuses - If dodges are necessary, Kaedras will renew Enhanced Reflexes as necessary)
Dodges: 1) 1d20+11 = 27; 2) 1d20+11 = 24; 3) 1d20+11 = 31 (Nat. 20!); 4) 1d20+11 = 27; 5) 1d20+11 = 27; 6) 1d20+11 = 29
Kaedras Starfall
I.S.P.: 114/178
M.D.C.: 37/37

Psionic Crystal Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Arms: 15 each
Legs: 22 each
Main Body: 35
Psionic Force Field: 70/70 (Can be used 4 times per 24 hour period without I.S.P. cost to user)
User avatar
Kaedras Starfall
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Mara » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:58 pm

Perception: 1d10 = 6 / 65% (95% when dealing with vampires or undead)
JiC: 1d20 = 10 1d100 = 46

Conditions: Eye of Knowledge (15)-- 90 min duration, understand and speak all languages at 96%, literate at 82%

Starchief wrote:"Ah, Commandant Torrigan! It is an honor to make your acquaintance." Starchief turns back to the rest of his crew. "Shall we follow and get that bite to eat?" Assuming a positive acknowledgement, he follows the Commandant to whatever building they are lead to. As she suggests, he has the crew leave their weapons behind but assigns Aoife to watch over their gear. "I'll bring you back a plate. Keep all of this safe. Disable anyone who attempts to steal from us."

"So Commandant, before we break bread I must say, we are here on important business. I would love to regale you with tales of the stars at a later time, but we must speak on the matters at hand quickly."


Mara follows the Starburst's lead and heads into the Atorian encampment. "I could eat." She seems professional enough. Wonder if we are going to get any assistance or will it be more diplomatic problems. Good thing Starburst there has the gift of speaking passionately and convincingly. She still keeps her tattoo active and doesn't reveal she understands the Atorian language. She will pick up what she can, and if necessary, she will relay it to Starburst through telepathy.

Anthropology 1d100 = 65 / 47% (for any customs she should be following)
Mara Archerean

PPE: 288 / 288
ISP: 85 / 85
MDC: 381/381
H.F.: 14
Heart in Chains Tattoo: 0/450 MDC(inactive)

Constant: Sixth Sense

Soundtrack:
''Zombie'' by Damned Anthem
Evanescence - Bring Me To Life (Ghost in the Machine Remix)
Adele vs. Linkin Park - Set Fire To The End
Tomorrow We Fight
User avatar
Mara
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Dark Lord » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:23 am

In the bar, Juan Echo is in his element as he calls out to the crowd looking for a little side action. When the godling makes it clear he’s betting against Drax’ikl, he gets quite a few enthusiastic takers from the audience- but most of them balk at the expensive price tag (apparently none of them is the high roller their leader is). Eventually, four of the pirates pool some funds and agree to the bet. Some spitting in palms followed by a handshake ensues, sealing the pact in the time-worn tradition. The Godling then moseys over to the bar, and smoothly talks the drunken cainoid out of joining the race with the help of a couple rounds of shots ((-50 credits Juan; the cainoid does not join the race)).

After the racers have departed, Kar notices the Felias acting suspicious and follows him outside, after a quick word to Juan. Juan, himself, acts normally- turning on the charm and ingratiating himself with the pirates. He doesn’t have a lot of time before the race starts to build the kind of relationship where the pirates are talking freely, but he does lay the ground work and later on in the evening (after quite a few drinks), Juan (and anyone else who survives to frolic with the pirates) will be able to get a general if slanted sense of what things are like at the camp. And things could be better.

The pirates are dissatisfied with their lot. The like the safety of being posted on Axis- its position towards the front lines makes slipping into non-FWC territory for raids easy. They are more successful than ever before thanks to the ”wacky magic defense under that pyramid,” but they can’t enjoy any of it because FWC command hardly lets them leave on raids anymore. Safeguarding Axis V has to take priority, which translates to a whole lot of guard duty for the boots on the ground. Guard duty translates to boredom- it quickly becomes clear that all the pirates really have to talk about are stories all of the same piece. Drunken revelry and/or drunken racing, with the odd fatality, are the only things that have happened in months. But that’s not the worst part.

The worst part is that these men and women, who’ve fought on the Battlefield for years and bled and died for it over and over again, are being slowly muscled out. Various factions from within the FWC who previously would never deign to dirty their hands with work on the front lines now have a vested interest in this strange pyramid and the power it possesses. They show up out of nowhere, try to commandeer all the best campsites, and look down their noses at the grunts. More than one soldier expresses loud contempt for all those “holier-than-thou assholes who just show up outta nowhere and think they can start bossing us around.” While your conversations throughout the evening draw out ample examples of the phenomenon, it eventually becomes clear that none are so emblematic of the pirates’ perceived mistreatment as the Atorians. Those aristocrats are holier, more ‘than thou’, and the least shy about letting everyone else know it. One fellow expresses loud agreement that if they all weren’t ”Rich as shit assholes!” the FWC would have told them to take a hike.

The race begins, and by now Juan has ingratiated himself with enough of the pirates that there are no objections to his casting the race. There’s a static-filled viewscreen with a crude map of the planet, and a very retro microphone wired into the bar’s sound system. Juan relates Drax’ikl’s daredevil maneuvers with the kind of breathless excitement found at sporting events throughout the megaverse, and even tries to radio the Pirate King at one point for a quick mid-race interview. Juan gets no response, however- either Drax’ikl is enough of a professional to keep both hands on the wheel while flying (while not so much so that he won’t race drunk), or being 1/3 of the way around the planet places him out of range of your communications equipment. Then, Drax’ikl hits his moment of decision- and the perigree of your orbit around the planet.

Both Kaedras and Icky don’t have long to react, and must decide if they want to try and duplicate Drax’ikl’s death-defying maneuver to stay in the race. Both decide that they are in it to win it, and blast off at exactly the right time. Icky’s maneuvering is a little shaky, thanks to all the damage he took from space debris, but he clears perigree and activates his boosters on time without issue, catching up to Drax’ikl. Kaedras, meanwhile, has just refreshed the psionic enhancement of his reflexes, and in a flash that borders on precognition, sees an opening for some even fancier flying. Slipping in-between Drax’ikl and Icky, Kaedras hugs the innermost edge of the racetrack, ducks through an opening between two pieces of space debris that wasn’t there a minute ago (and won’t be there shortly), and emerges from perigree with boosters hot and a small but substantial lead.

The back half of the race starts with Kaedras in the lead, Drax’ikl in a solid second place behind him, and Icky trailing in third by a whisker. As you pass perigree, the space debris begins to thin out a little. For the time being at least, your course is clear, and you all heave a sigh of relief as the boosters kick in and you set your sights on the finish line. The skies are clear for a bit, giving everyone (especially Icky) a chance for their respective blood pressures to come down. But not completely. Kaedras notes in excitement that he is somehow keeping pace with Drax’ikl, even extending his lead oh-so-slightly as you proceed into the home stretch of the race.

About two-thirds of the way between perigree and home, those of you passing a read sensor equipment roll will detect a number of large meteors ahead of you- a dense storm composed mostly of ice crystals up to 1,000 feet in diameter. Kaedras also thinks he spots the telltale glow of a ley line up ahead… and something else, but he’s not sure what. Drax’ikl answers that question when he comes on the comm. (even Kaedras’ suit radio can pick him up), and cackles ”Looks like there’s a storm brewin’- you boys don’t have any magic, do ya?” As you consult your instruments, you can plot a course to bypass the storm and still stay within the bounds of the racetrack- but it will cost Kaedras about half of his lead over Drax’ikl and put Icky into a definitive third place that will be difficult to come back from in time. Alternatively, you can follow Drax’ikl’s course into the storm, and take your chances with ley lines and meteors.
Racing Rolls
  • Read sensory equipment to detect the ley line/meteor storm. If you pass, you may roll a skill check (space navigation, or regular navigation at -40%) to pilot a course around it.
  • Post three dodge rolls at +5 and two piloting rolls at -20% if you go through the storm, all in addition to other bonuses or penalties. You may post one additional read sensory equipment roll per dodge at -20%; if you pass add another +3 to your dodge.
  • If you have any magic on you and go through the storm, roll 1d4 additional dodge rolls. PP and enhanced reflexes bonuses only.
  • If you go through the ley line storm, roll once on the “Random events that can happen during a ley line storm” table on P. 192 of R:UE. Role-play the results appropriately- if your result is a dimensional rift, roll another dodge.
  • Don’t forget the ships’ maneuverability bonuses on P. 141 of DB6.


Kar, meanwhile, ducks outside to follow the Felias after radioing Juan that he’s done so. With twilight setting in, the camps’ darkened alleys make the place look a whole lot less inviting than it did a few hours ago. Even so, Kar sets out, keeping a sharp eye for his quarry. At least, he thought he was. A few minutes after he sets out from the bar, Kar turns down a likely path only to have a figure step up from behind him, hold a vibro-knife to his throat, and mutter in a breath generously tinged with the scent of whiskey and finely-accented Trade 4, ”Why’re you followin’ me, meat?”

Meanwhile, in contrast to the exciting race in orbit, Starchief and company find themselves facing some rather stuffy Atorians. With the notable (and curious) exception of Commandant Torrigan. She smiles thinly at Starchief, gently pats his shoulder (with a slightly more-than gentle squeeze before she ends the physical contact), and says ”Of course, sweetheart. Don’t you worry your pretty little head. We’ll take care of this just as soon as we can.” She’s a good deal more serious when she replies to Mara, at least, ”I’m glad you understand. I’m afraid I simply cannot be late for this engagement- we are hosting a delegate from Naruni Enterprises. Vice Executive Director Corbin Decker, perhaps you’ve heard of him? Regardless, I’m afraid I cannot keep him waiting any longer- he is here to negotiate a very important arms deal for us, and it simply wouldn’t do to start the negotiations off on the wrong foot. I’m sure he’d be thrilled to have you join us, however- I see a few of you are fans of his product. I’m sure Director Decker would welcome to hear stories of your travels, not to mention customer feedback. Besides, I understand the cooks are serving the most delectable Atavarian pate. You simply must try it.”

If you insist on not going to dinner, Torrigan will pout a little but dismissively order her assistant to schedule you an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. If you relent, she will smile (apparently sincerely), exclaim ”Excellent!” to Mara and Aoife, and add ”I can’t wait to hear what you have to say. Please, no weapons at the table however. You can leave them outside- we are all allies here after all, aren’t we?”

Assuming you go along with the above, you will be taken to a secure alcove where all of you can deposit your weapons- behind biometrically locked doors, no less. You are then given a brief chance to clean up, and ushered into an elegantly appointed dining room. Six older Atorian women, the youngest of whom is likely around 80, join you, Torrigan, and a slick, well-dressed, and goateed human man who confidently introduces himself as Corbin Decker, Executive Vice Director of Naruni Enterprises. The thick perfumed air makes it a little difficult to breathe, but you are hungry and sit down to dinner in relatively short order. What follows is some of the most inane, choreographed, useless, and flowery conversation you’ve ever taken part in. You can’t help but feel a little frustrated, Starchief and Metri in particular seem unable to raise any points of discussion without being talked over, and Starchief more than once catches the Commandant making eyes at him. Any of you passing a perception check on your next post will catch Decker rolling his eyes oh-so-slightly after one of the other aristocrats makes some snide remark, and those of you unsuited to this kind of courtly wordplay find yourselves struggling to stay awake.

What are you doing?
Why kill a PC when you can torture their player?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Dark Lord
Dimension Master
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 am
Location: DIMENSION MASTER: PHASE WORLD

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kar Fallax » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:30 am

Perception: 1d100 = 97 vs 24%
JIC: 1d20 = 19 and 1d100 = 4

Dark Lord wrote:Kar, meanwhile, ducks outside to follow the Felias after radioing Juan that he’s done so. With twilight setting in, the camps’ darkened alleys make the place look a whole lot less inviting than it did a few hours ago. Even so, Kar sets out, keeping a sharp eye for his quarry. At least, he thought he was. A few minutes after he sets out from the bar, Kar turns down a likely path only to have a figure step up from behind him, hold a vibro-knife to his throat, and mutter in a breath generously tinged with the scent of whiskey and finely-accented Trade 4, ”Why’re you followin’ me, meat?”


Kar finds himself slightly embarrassed and wholly angry at being caught off guard the way he has. Not enjoying the submissive position Kar reacts. With a smirk growing on his face he drives his hand up under the Felias' hand holding the hilt of the knife and pushes outward with all his strength, while striking behind him with an elbow to the ribs of his opponent. The struggle of battle!, thinks the simian as the smirk grows into a full smile. With enough separation between two, Kar will reach his second hand out to the knife hand of his opponent, pushing his hip out he will attempt to toss the man over his shoulder to the ground with enough force to daze the creature rather than cause damage . "Who are you calling meat?" he retorts.

With the man on the ground in front of him, Kar take a step back drawing his phase sword, "Why are you so paranoid Kitty? Who were you stalking in there?"

Initiative: 1d20+3 = 8
APM: 7
Action 1: Parry knife away and strike with elbow, Parry: 1d20+6 = 22, Strike: 1d20+4 = 8, Damage: 2d6 = 9
Action 2: Reach for hand, Strike:1d20+4 = 12
Action 3: Hip Toss, Strike: 1d20+4 = 11
Action 4: Step back and draw sword
Action 5-7: Reserved for Dodge, 1d20+9 = 11, 1d20+9 = 16, 1d20+9 = 29

Auto-Dodge Contingency: 1d20+2 = 7, 1d20+2 = 21, 1d20+2 = 12, 1d20+2 = 12, 1d20+2 = 5, 1d20+2 = 15, 1d20+2 = 10
User avatar
Kar Fallax
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 am

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Chef Icky » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:57 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 60/43%
JIC: 1d20 = 4/1d100 = 91

Dark Lord wrote:The back half of the race starts with Kaedras in the lead, Drax’ikl in a solid second place behind him, and Icky trailing in third by a whisker. As you pass perigree, the space debris begins to thin out a little. For the time being at least, your course is clear, and you all heave a sigh of relief as the boosters kick in and you set your sights on the finish line. The skies are clear for a bit, giving everyone (especially Icky) a chance for their respective blood pressures to come down. But not completely. Kaedras notes in excitement that he is somehow keeping pace with Drax’ikl, even extending his lead oh-so-slightly as you proceed into the home stretch of the race.

About two-thirds of the way between perigree and home, those of you passing a read sensor equipment roll will detect a number of large meteors ahead of you- a dense storm composed mostly of ice crystals up to 1,000 feet in diameter. Kaedras also thinks he spots the telltale glow of a ley line up ahead… and something else, but he’s not sure what. Drax’ikl answers that question when he comes on the comm. (even Kaedras’ suit radio can pick him up), and cackles ”Looks like there’s a storm brewin’- you boys don’t have any magic, do ya?” As you consult your instruments, you can plot a course to bypass the storm and still stay within the bounds of the racetrack- but it will cost Kaedras about half of his lead over Drax’ikl and put Icky into a definitive third place that will be difficult to come back from in time. Alternatively, you can follow Drax’ikl’s course into the storm, and take your chances with ley lines and meteors.


Icky allows himself a chuckle or two as he realizes he's managed to hang with Drax’ikl despite all the damage that's been done to his fighter. "Oi, I pity da poor schmoe dat's gotta fix all dis... or pick up da tab fer it." His smile disappears for a moment. "Feetal's gizz -- hope dat poor schmoe gettin' da tab ain't me!"

When the flyboy radios about the ley line storm Icky goes into full frown mode. Smart play would be to fly around it. Smart play would be to settle for last place and not risk crashing into a bajillion pieces. But the 'smart play' isn't going to get us anywhere if at least one of us doesn't follow him through there. He flicks his comms. "Oi, chum, whot's a lil' space lightnin' among friends? Can't be worse dan Juan at da disco durin' karaoke night!" He gives a laugh he almost sincerely feels before flicking it back off.

What's that story? Guy jumps off the Icarus Skyscraper in Alexandria. All the way down the folks on every floor hear him say 'so far, so good' as he passes.

"So far, so good I guess dere Big D..." he mutters under his breath as he angles for the ley line storm. "'Ere's hopin' yer givin' me a helpin' hand or at least enjoyin' da race."

However, once the lightning flashes around him and he has to dodge around a rift suddenly appearing in his flight path, he starts fretting just a little. "Mebbe dis wasn't quite da best idea I've had today..."


Doin' piloty stuff... or not-so-piloty stuff
Conditions:
OOC Comments
  • main engines, radar and computers, maneuvering rockets and missile launcher down (not that the latter was an option for this race anyway)
  • -15% on all piloting maneuvers
  • -10 to strike/parry/dodge for the rest of the race
  • Landing the ship safely will require a piloting skill check at -15%
  • Icky's normal pilot skill is 95% and is usually +15 to dodge

  • Read sensory equipment to detect the ley line/meteor storm. If you pass, you may roll a skill check (space navigation, or regular navigation at -40%) to pilot a course around it.
  • Post three dodge rolls at +5 and two piloting rolls at -20% if you go through the storm, all in addition to other bonuses or penalties. You may post one additional read sensory equipment roll per dodge at -20%; if you pass add another +3 to your dodge.
  • If you have any magic on you and go through the storm, roll 1d4 additional dodge rolls. PP and enhanced reflexes bonuses only.
  • If you go through the ley line storm, roll once on the “Random events that can happen during a ley line storm” table on P. 192 of R:UE. Role-play the results appropriately- if your result is a dimensional rift, roll another dodge.
  • Don’t forget the ships’ maneuverability bonuses on P. 141 of DB6. (+3 initiative, +1 strike, +4 dodge, +6 dodge at maximum speed, +15% on dog-fighting and special maneuvers)


OCC NOTE: I totally forgot the ship's maneuverability bonuses. I don't know if anything we're doing falls under 'special maneuvers' but feel free to apply said bonus where applicable. Especially if that means turning that 'so close' failed skill check into a success. :D

Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 40/89% to detect the storm (not going around it)

Dodge Roll #1: 1d20+16 = 24 (+15 normal dodge; +5 situational bonus; +6 ship bonus; -10 damage penalty)
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 79/69% for additional +3 to dodge (FAIL)

Dodge Roll #2: 1d20+16 = 21 (+15 normal dodge; +5 situational bonus; +6 ship bonus; -10 damage penalty)
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 35/69% for additional +3 to dodge

Dodge Roll #3: 1d20+16 = 34 (+15 normal dodge; +5 situational bonus; +6 ship bonus; -10 damage penalty)
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 36/69% for additional +3 to dodge

Pilot Small Spacecraft #1 at -35% -- 1d100 = 63/60% (-15% damage penlty; -20% situational penalty) (SO CLOSE...)
Pilot Small Spacecraft #2 at -35% -- 1d100 = 57/60% (-15% damage penlty; -20% situational penalty)

Random Ley Line Storm Event: 1d100 = 95 -- Dimensional Rift!
Additional Dodge Roll: 1d20+16 = 31 (+15 normal dodge; +5 situational bonus; +6 ship bonus; -10 damage penalty)
Food is da universal language, an' me galley is da universal translator. Don't ya mess wit' either one while I'm 'round. Or even when I ain't 'round.

Please do not PM this account -- send your PMs to AGM account The Bos instead. Thanks!

------------------------------

- Max Bodily MDC: 187 ... Max ISP: 48 ... Max PPE: 12
- Armor Max MDC: 120 ... Force Field Max MDC: 110
- Natural Abilities: HF 11 ... 100’ nightvision (can see in total darkness) ... Fire/cold does 1/2 damage ... Fatigues at half rate of normal humans ... Lift 3,600 lbs & carry 1,800 lbs ... Jump 21.6’ across/10.8’ high standing; 54’ across/27’ high with running start
- Combat Notes: 8 APM ... +3 initiative; +11 strike; +13 parry; +14 dodge; +4 roll, disarm; +8 pull; +21 PS bonus ... Critical Strike on an unmodified 18-20 ... Boxing: auto KO on nat 20 for 1d6 melees ... Paired Weapons ... Body flip/throw
User avatar
Chef Icky
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm
Location: Phase World: Galactic Adventurers

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kaedras Starfall » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:42 am

Perception: 42% 1d100 = 1 (CRIT. SUCCESS)

JIC: 1d20 = 3
1d100 = 21

Conditions: (During race) Enhanced Reflexes: +1 attack per melee, +3 initiative, +1 to strike, +2 to parry and dodge. +2 to P.P. (adding further bonuses to strike/parry/dodge if boosted to 16 or higher), and +15% to all physical skills that rely on coordination or balance. Duration 8/8 minutes

Kaedras is focusing on piloting through the debris when Drax'ikl's voice comes over his suit comm, warning of the storm ahead.

Is that a ley line storm? I... can't risk the water relic. I'll have to go around if I can.

Sensory Equipment 60% 1d100 = 11 (detect storm - SUCCESS)

Navigation: Space 70% 1d100 = 82 (plot a course around - FAIL)
Navigation: Space 70% 1d100 = 36 (recovery/course correct - SUCCESS)

If Kaedras is unable to skirt outside the storm, he will do his best to navigate through it.

Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 65% or 80% 1d100 = 3 (CRIT SUCCESS)
Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 65% or 80% 1d100 = 100 (CRIT FAIL)

Dodges (including ship's bonuses):
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 68 (FAIL)
1) 1d20+22 = 28
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 30 (SUCCESS)
2) 1d20+22 = 36 + 3 = 39
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 72 (FAIL)
3) 1d20+22 = 24

Additional dodges due to having magic on me (ships bonuses not added here - if they apply, they are +6)
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 60 (FAIL)
1) 1d20+6 = 21
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 3 (CRIT SUCCESS)
2) 1d20+6 = 17 + 3 = 20
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 67 (FAIL)
3) 1d20+6 = 22
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 72 (FAIL)
4) 1d20+6 = 9

Ley Line storm roll: 1d100 = 38 Euphoria - Everyone feels good, happy and cheerful. Lasts 2d4 minutes

If this effect happens, Kaedras beams. "This racing thing isn't bad. I should try this more often. I'm... really good at this."

If Kaedras successfully course-corrected and skirted the storm, he looks around on the other side to see how much of his lead he ended up losing, and whether he has fallen behind Drax'ikl. It's not a real worry - I don't need to win after all. Him winning may put him in a good enough mood to give us what we need any way. I hope. I also hope that if I win, it doesn't put him in such a bad mood that he denies us out of spite.
Kaedras Starfall
I.S.P.: 114/178
M.D.C.: 37/37

Psionic Crystal Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Arms: 15 each
Legs: 22 each
Main Body: 35
Psionic Force Field: 70/70 (Can be used 4 times per 24 hour period without I.S.P. cost to user)
User avatar
Kaedras Starfall
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Juan Echo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:37 pm

Perception (27%): 1d100 = 66
JiC: 1d20 = 11/1d100 = 30

Skill Rolls
Charm (80%) 1d100 = 65

As the racers being their slingshot maneuver, Juan Echo is leaning on the edge of his seat, nose pressed to the mic, and eyes glued to the screens. Having viewed and participated in many low-orbit races in his time, he knows exactly what's going on. The race is tight, and everyone is about to make a big, risky move. It's exciting, it's terrifying.

"AND OUR RACERS HAVE HIT THEIR THRUSTERS!" the Wandering God roars as everyone can see the three rockets speed up rapidly.

Dark Lord wrote:Icky’s maneuvering is a little shaky, thanks to all the damage he took from space debris, but he clears perigree and activates his boosters on time without issue, catching up to Drax’ikl. Kaedras, meanwhile, has just refreshed the psionic enhancement of his reflexes, and in a flash that borders on precognition, sees an opening for some even fancier flying. Slipping in-between Drax’ikl and Icky, Kaedras hugs the innermost edge of the racetrack, ducks through an opening between two pieces of space debris that wasn’t there a minute ago (and won’t be there shortly), and emerges from perigree with boosters hot and a small but substantial lead.

"And coming through the perigree, it looks like the Priest's prayers have been answered! My personal friend Dionysius has blessed has servant and placed him back in the race. Can I have an 'AMEN' from the crowd for that flying?"

"Wait a minute! Oh my Urqos, it looks like the Star Elf is taking a decisive lead. He is slipping through the debris deftly. He's handling that rocket almost as smoothly as the hard working troopers will take care of your rocket at the World's Oldest Battalion. Join the offensive on Surge Sundays, where you get 25% for each bunkmate you bring."

Dark Lord wrote:About two-thirds of the way between perigree and home, those of you passing a read sensor equipment roll will detect a number of large meteors ahead of you- a dense storm composed mostly of ice crystals up to 1,000 feet in diameter. Kaedras also thinks he spots the telltale glow of a ley line up ahead… and something else, but he’s not sure what... As you consult your instruments, you can plot a course to bypass the storm and still stay within the bounds of the racetrack- but it will cost Kaedras about half of his lead over Drax’ikl and put Icky into a definitive third place that will be difficult to come back from in time. Alternatively, you can follow Drax’ikl’s course into the storm, and take your chances with ley lines and meteor.

As the race has gotten into a quiet groove, Juan has spent less time providing updates on the race and more time reading copy for local businesses and regaling the bar with his more inappropriate stories. He takes a slow sip from his beer when he notices the same thing that his teammates in space have. He spits his beer back into the mug, lest he let some good-ish alcohol go to waste.

"A storm is brewing, Urqos," the Wanderer says in a grave tone. "It is going to take some elite flying from our pilots to get through this. Is that? Some of the more experienced pilots among you know what these readings are showing. There is magic in the air, tonight. Any. Thing. Can. Happen."

Juan sets down his beer and throws his hands in the air. This is the best kind of low-orbit race - competitive and full of high risk moves that raise the stakes more than any amount of money. It is the kind of race that typically ends in a fatality. RIP Bar Echo, Urqos Jean, Leh Echo, Umbra Echo, Pen Echo, Tel Echo, Waka Echo, Urqos Rachel, Kerm Echo, Townes Echo, Urqos Gris... and that's just the ones that died in the past century.
Status: Juan Echo
M.D.C.: 300/300
P.P.E.: 50/50
I.S.P.: 76/76

May the rest of the Yayamama Pantheon have mercy on our SOULS!
User avatar
Juan Echo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Starchief » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 am

Perception: 1d100 = 50/59%
JIC: 1d20 = 16/1d100 = 14

Why is she talking to me like I'm some sort of child? She can't possibly... Ohhhhh... Starchief comes to the realizations that:
  • The female-dominant society thinks of men as second class citizens (e.g. the guards, his current treatment)
  • That his power of super-affability might be working a little too well with her

"A Naruni executive, you say? We'd love to join you for that meal." He notes again, Torrigan's dismissal of his words and direct communication with the women of the group. Oh geez. This is going to be interesting. Cleaning up, Starchief makes sure to scrub up nicely to present his best self at this dinner.

Starchief tries numerous times to get his voice heard and is time and time again ignored. The other six women paying his attempts no heed either begins to frustrate the captain. After a while, Starchief turns to Mara to have a quick 'secret meeting' at the dinner table. "She's... not listening to me. But she takes you two women seriously. And I think she has a little crush on me. Let's use those things to our advantage. We need to let her know about the artifact and get her permission to use it tomorrow. See if she'll let you speak at the table. But be careful. I'll try... other methods of persuasion."

Starchief matches the Commandant's glances and gives the occasional wink and/or smirk as is wise. (Seduction: 1d100 = 58/75% - PASS) He makes a few small facial gestures implying a desire to 'speak' outside. But mostly, he listens closely to the conversation and enjoys ungodly portions of Atavarian pate.
Starchief
Andra "Starchief" Sekona
the Shield of Seeron

MDC: 439/439|Costume: 20/20

Saving Throw Bonuses:
Vs. Insanity: +9|Vs. Magic: +10|Vs. Possession: +7|Vs. Psionic: +7
Vs. Poison: +7|Vs. Mind Control: +6|Vs. Disease: +6|Vs. Illusion: +5
Vs. Horror Factor: +8|Vs. Coma/Death: +51%|Perception: +3


Image

Ledger
User avatar
Starchief
Group Leader
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Phase World PC (Adventurers)

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Mara » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:48 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 77 / 65% (95% when dealing with vampires or undead)
JiC: 1d20 = 15 1d100 = 67

Conditions: Eye of Knowledge (15)-- 90 min duration, understand and speak all languages at 96%, literate at 82%

Mara says "Will do," to Starburst. She is bored with the conversation and is reminded of the times when she was a child and had to sit in the council meetings on Alexandria, with her parents. Athena, can these woman talk about nothing. Even Decker looks a bit annoyed. She stifles yawns and becomes evermore amused watching Starburst try to be taken seriously. He is pretty, but this is ridiculous. After watching Starburst get cut off for the 20th time, she tries to speak up and is relatively blunt. "Commandant Torrigan, I don't believe I have introduced myself. My apologies, I am Mara Archerean of Clan Archerean from Alexandria. My team and I have come across another of the elemental artifacts. Water. One has bonded with it. We need to test it and get our man up to speed on how to use it properly for the safety of all concerned. We would like to use it tomorrow. Quan recommended that we work out these details with you. Are you amenable to these actions. I understand that many have serious concerns about the use of these artifacts. However, they are important to the safety of this world." She pauses and tries to note reactions.

Interrogation-- 1d100 = 88 / 67%
Trust/intimidate-- 1d100 = 23 / 55%
Mara Archerean

PPE: 288 / 288
ISP: 85 / 85
MDC: 381/381
H.F.: 14
Heart in Chains Tattoo: 0/450 MDC(inactive)

Constant: Sixth Sense

Soundtrack:
''Zombie'' by Damned Anthem
Evanescence - Bring Me To Life (Ghost in the Machine Remix)
Adele vs. Linkin Park - Set Fire To The End
Tomorrow We Fight
User avatar
Mara
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Dark Lord » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:57 pm

In the bar, Juan Echo continues his spirited commentating on the race- noting the travails of all participants, culminating in a daredevil attempt at flying through a ley line storm. As the pirates grow progressively drunker, louder, and more animated as the race proceeds towards its climax, Juan continues to ingratiate himself with them but finds their own comments growing less and less coherent as the evening proceeds. Whether that is for the best depends on how the race unfolds.

Outside, Kar is mightily irritated at himself at allowing the Felias to get the drop on him. Reacting instinctively to the presence of a knife at his throat, Kar surprises his foe with his strength and forces the knife away before it can so much as scratch him. The ex-guardsman’s follow-up judo throw, unfortunately, as less successful as the Felias slips out of Kar’s grasp and promptly vanishes. The Thropo casts about for his opponent, and is thus completely unprepared when a one-inch tall Felias zooms up from the ground and delivers a full-size uppercut to the Thropo’s jaw (and is that a tiny vibro-blade?) ((-12 MDC to your head/helmet Kar)). The mini-Felias promptly zooms out of Kar’s reach, even as the latter draws his blade, and squeaks out in a high-pitched voice that would be adorably hilarious under other circumstances, ”Look, asshole, I was just mindin’ my own business and doing a little drinking, when you plopped yer butt down and started eyeing. So I left, figured I’d check my tail like always, and surprise surprise there you are! What’reya, a Tracer? Look- I don't want no trouble. I can make it worth yer while to forget you saw me.” While the Felias continues to hover, diminutive and out of easy melee reach, he doesn’t appear to be making any more hostile moves.

Meanwhile, the two pilots have to decide how they will confront this latest wrinkle. Icky, having decided something along the lines of ‘in for a penny, in for a pound’ fires back on the ol’ banter radio and makes a play for the heart of the storm. Kaedras, however, is cognizant of the alien relic buried in his forehead, and decides not to risk it. The elf attempts to pilot around the edge of the storm and minimize the losses to his lead, but misjudges his navigation and ends up clipping the edge. With Drax’ikl cackling on the radio, the three of you try to navigate through the storm with a minimum of damage. Dodging the meteors proves simple enough- the chunks of ice and rock are large but slow, and your fighters easily maneuver around them.

Icky gets the fright of his life when a dimensional rift opens right in front of him, and the minotaur barely avoids a collision with the portal to who-knows-where. Proximity sensors show something emerging, but the three of you punch it and quickly leave the rift in the dust. The maneuver costs Icky, however- his fighter collides with a small piece of space debris that does some damage to the ship’s main body, and causes him to slip a little further into third place. Kaedras, meanwhile, curses as his cockpit lights up with the magical energy of the let line storm. He prepares to try and maneuver both his body and his ship around any interference from the storm- but curiously, it appears to have no effect on the relic in his body. Kaedras’ sigh of relief soon turns to laughter, and then hysterics as an alien, almost artificial euphoria comes over him. The experience reminds the mind melter of nothing so much as his most recent outing with Juan, and all the narcotics that entails. Kaedras feels himself carried off on a cloud of laughter, and his vision goes dark. In his own fighter, Icky sees Kaedras veer wildly over the racecourse- at one point disappearing into the heart of the storm and seeming destroyed, only to appear on the other side as if by magic. Drax’ikl pilots a slightly saner, but similar course, and ends up shaving Kaedras’ lead to a mere 500 or so feet.

You clear the storm. Some 2d4-1 = 5 minutes later Kaedras returns to his senses- somehow still in the lead and miraculously undamaged, if a little disconcerted over what just happened. However as you both look around and check sensors, you realize that Drax’ikl is gone! Both the man and his ship have vanished as if they never were- presumably in the ley line storm. There are no energy readings to indicate an explosion, no debris or other indications of a collision, and no distress or other signals. He’s just… gone. Presumably the race is still on- you’re only 15 minutes from the finish line at your boosted speed… but then what?

Back in the bar, Juan can confirm Drax’ikl’s disappearance on the sensors. The pirates do not immediately appear to notice.

Things are considerably less exciting in the Atorians’ wing of the camp. Starchief is a little flustered as he realizes that he is the butt of some good, old-fashioned sexism. For once, his good looks and charm may not be working to his advantage as he struggles to be heard and met with anything more than a patronizing brush-off in response. Metri hunkers down and makes a small show of enjoying his repast, deciding perhaps to let the women of the team field this one. Partway through the main course, Aoife apparently eats something that doesn’t agree with her- looking distinctly green around the gills, the supersoldier abruptly gets up, mumbles an ”Excuse me”, and heads back towards the ship at a brisk trot (where she will remain for the rest of the evening). Mara however steps up- the Undead Slayer is no stranger to the ways of the aristocracy, and with the aid of her gender manages to ingratiate herself with the nobility present eventually. To the extend that any non-Atorian can, anyway. ”It is so refreshing to have refined company at these sorts of things. The other troops here are little more than common riffraff- why, most of them wouldn’t even have been fit to be minions back in the old days of the Empire. Dis-graceful.”

Starchief contents himself with quieting down and matching the Commandant tit-for-tat, who appears receptive to the possibility but unwilling to leave the dinner until all Serious Business has been attended to. Right on cue, Mara lays out the purpose of your visit. She is taken a good deal more seriously than the men, with several of the ancient nobleladies present murmuring at the extraordinary nature of this new development. Prior to now a reserved but adequate participant in the conversation, VED Decker leans forward in interest at the mention of a new relic. ”Extraordinary! A water relic, you say? Then there is an elemental theme. Where did you find this device? What do you know about it? Is it technological, magical? The Free World Council has not allowed my technicians much in the way of access, but I understand that these devices are rumored to be creations of the First Race! Commandant, you must allow this test to proceed.” He turns to Torrigan.

The Atorian leader purses her lips. ”I don’t know, are you sure it’s safe? The Battleground is a vital foothold in our defense against the Kreeghor. It would be an unmitigated disaster if anything were to compromise our defensive posture here.” Decker shrugs and brushes away the concern. ”This is the most secure facility in the sector. Even in the worst-case scenario, the Kreeghor would need an agent on-site and privy to high-level deliberations between you and the other resistance leaders station here. I assume, of course, that your team isn’t blathering this information to any mercenary within shouting distance.” He looks, a trifle expectantly, at Starchief (a welcome change of pace). Assuming Decker is reassured, he continues ”Frankly, I think it sounds like it is worth the risk.” From much of the nobility’s frowns, they remain unconvinced (the nobility is an historically risk-averse lot), but Torrigan appears thoughtful, considering your proposal. Meanwhile, the main course is finished, and the meal eventually proceeds to desert and other digestifs.

What are you doing?
Why kill a PC when you can torture their player?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Dark Lord
Dimension Master
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 am
Location: DIMENSION MASTER: PHASE WORLD

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kar Fallax » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:43 am

Perception: Invalid dice code! vs 24%
JIC: Invalid dice code! and Invalid dice code!

Dark Lord wrote:Outside, Kar is mightily irritated at himself at allowing the Felias to get the drop on him. Reacting instinctively to the presence of a knife at his throat, Kar surprises his foe with his strength and forces the knife away before it can so much as scratch him. The ex-guardsman’s follow-up judo throw, unfortunately, as less successful as the Felias slips out of Kar’s grasp and promptly vanishes. The Thropo casts about for his opponent, and is thus completely unprepared when a one-inch tall Felias zooms up from the ground and delivers a full-size uppercut to the Thropo’s jaw (and is that a tiny vibro-blade?) ((-12 MDC to your head/helmet Kar)). The mini-Felias promptly zooms out of Kar’s reach, even as the latter draws his blade, and squeaks out in a high-pitched voice that would be adorably hilarious under other circumstances, ”Look, asshole, I was just mindin’ my own business and doing a little drinking, when you plopped yer butt down and started eyeing. So I left, figured I’d check my tail like always, and surprise surprise there you are! What’reya, a Tracer? Look- I don't want no trouble. I can make it worth yer while to forget you saw me.” While the Felias continues to hover, diminutive and out of easy melee reach, he doesn’t appear to be making any more hostile moves.


Kar stares at the Felias, This little pip squeak is gonna..., then thinks better of the offer. If he was minding his own business, why does he care if I saw him? "I'm no tracer." The simian forces out with a chuff, "It's my business to know my surroundings. You had an odd look, then you ran. Pretty suspicious. What are you so scared of to make you run so quick? I might be able to forget I saw you. What do you have to offer?" The Thropo relaxes his sword slightly.

Kar scans his current surrounding briefly, not wanting to take his eyes off the mini kitty for too long. He waits for the the Felias to reply considering, I know nothing of the politics here. The felias may well be unimportant. Something must be up, for him to run. Unless. Considering it may have been a distraction Kar radios Juan, "Is all well in the bar?"
User avatar
Kar Fallax
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 am

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kaedras Starfall » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:08 am

Perception: 42% 1d100 = 89

JIC: 1d20 = 5
1d100 = 48

As Kaedras comes back around to his senses, he sees that Drax'ikl is no longer on his tail - or anywhere, presumably. Kaedras does a sensor sweep, and slows down. Winning the race is pointless if Drax'ikl dies.

Sensory Equipment 60% 1d100 = 39 (try to find Drax'ikl - SUCCESS)

He keys his suit comm to radio Icky - hoping that the latter is within range. Drax'ikl was able to reach my suit radio on comms. Let's hope it works the other way as well.

"Chef, any sign of Drax'ikl? If he didn't emerge from that storm we may have to go in after him."

And I don't want to - I shouldn't risk the water relic... Yet if he needs saving, we must.

If his sensors pick up Drax'ikl's signal back in the storm, Kaedras will turn his ship around and go in after him, attempting to follow his exhaust and or comms trail.

Sensory Equipment 60% 1d100 = 89 (Identify Drax'ikl's course - FAIL)
If he cannot find Drax'ikl's trajectory, he will leave the storm immediately.

Navigation: Space 70% 1d100 = 84 (Follow Drax'ikl's course - FAIL)

Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 65% or 80% 1d100 = 19 - SUCCESS
Pilot: Spacecraft: Small 65% or 80% 1d100 = 31 - SUCCESS

Dodges (including ship's bonuses):
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 24 - SUCCESS
1) 1d20+25 = 38
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 26 - SUCCESS
2) 1d20+25 = 28
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 70 - FAIL
3) 1d20+22 = 25

Additional dodges due to having magic on me (ships bonuses not added here - if they apply, they are +6)
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 37 - SUCCESS
1) 1d20+9 = 20
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 8 - SUCCESS
2) 1d20+9 = 15
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 75 - FAIL
3) 1d20+6 = 14
Sensory Equipment 40% 1d100 = 38 - SUCCESS
4) 1d20+9 = 29

Ley Line storm roll: 1d100 = 54 (Euphoria again)

If Kaedras cannot detect Drax'ikl with his ship's sensors, he will wait for Icky to reply before deciding the next course of action.
Kaedras Starfall
I.S.P.: 114/178
M.D.C.: 37/37

Psionic Crystal Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Arms: 15 each
Legs: 22 each
Main Body: 35
Psionic Force Field: 70/70 (Can be used 4 times per 24 hour period without I.S.P. cost to user)
User avatar
Kaedras Starfall
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Chef Icky » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 56/43%
JIC: 1d20 = 13/1d100 = 6

Conditions
  • main engines, radar and computers, maneuvering rockets and missile launcher down (not that the latter was an option for this race anyway); 'some damage' to the main body
  • -15% on all piloting maneuvers
  • -10 to strike/parry/dodge for the rest of the race
  • Landing the ship safely will require a piloting skill check at -15%
  • Icky's normal pilot skill is 95% and is usually +15 to dodge
  • Don’t forget the ships’ maneuverability bonuses on P. 141 of DB6. (+3 initiative, +1 strike, +4 dodge, +6 dodge at maximum speed, +15% on dog-fighting and special maneuvers)


Dark Lord wrote:Meanwhile, the two pilots have to decide how they will confront this latest wrinkle. Icky, having decided something along the lines of ‘in for a penny, in for a pound’ fires back on the ol’ banter radio and makes a play for the heart of the storm. Kaedras, however, is cognizant of the alien relic buried in his forehead, and decides not to risk it. The elf attempts to pilot around the edge of the storm and minimize the losses to his lead, but misjudges his navigation and ends up clipping the edge. With Drax’ikl cackling on the radio, the three of you try to navigate through the storm with a minimum of damage. Dodging the meteors proves simple enough- the chunks of ice and rock are large but slow, and your fighters easily maneuver around them.

Icky gets the fright of his life when a dimensional rift opens right in front of him, and the minotaur barely avoids a collision with the portal to who-knows-where. Proximity sensors show something emerging, but the three of you punch it and quickly leave the rift in the dust. The maneuver costs Icky, however- his fighter collides with a small piece of space debris that does some damage to the ship’s main body, and causes him to slip a little further into third place. Kaedras, meanwhile, curses as his cockpit lights up with the magical energy of the let line storm. He prepares to try and maneuver both his body and his ship around any interference from the storm- but curiously, it appears to have no effect on the relic in his body. Kaedras’ sigh of relief soon turns to laughter, and then hysterics as an alien, almost artificial euphoria comes over him. The experience reminds the mind melter of nothing so much as his most recent outing with Juan, and all the narcotics that entails. Kaedras feels himself carried off on a cloud of laughter, and his vision goes dark. In his own fighter, Icky sees Kaedras veer wildly over the racecourse- at one point disappearing into the heart of the storm and seeming destroyed, only to appear on the other side as if by magic. Drax’ikl pilots a slightly saner, but similar course, and ends up shaving Kaedras’ lead to a mere 500 or so feet.

You clear the storm. Some Original post: 2d4-1 = 5 minutes later Kaedras returns to his senses- somehow still in the lead and miraculously undamaged, if a little disconcerted over what just happened. However as you both look around and check sensors, you realize that Drax’ikl is gone! Both the man and his ship have vanished as if they never were- presumably in the ley line storm. There are no energy readings to indicate an explosion, no debris or other indications of a collision, and no distress or other signals. He’s just… gone. Presumably the race is still on- you’re only 15 minutes from the finish line at your boosted speed… but then what?

Back in the bar, Juan can confirm Drax’ikl’s disappearance on the sensors. The pirates do not immediately appear to notice.


Kaedras Starfall wrote:"Chef, any sign of Drax'ikl? If he didn't emerge from that storm we may have to go in after him."


((OOC: This is all assuming that Kaedras' suit radio works as he hopes it does -- which is totally reasonable IMO as he was able to pick up Drax on it.))

Icky looks down at his scope and his eyes go wide. Feetal's Gizz -- Drax'ikl's gone. Just... gone. This is worse than finding half a worm in your gorapple pie. Meatball's gonna be peeved if we wind up slagging the very person whose approval we need. He flicks his comm. "Oi, I got nothin' 'ere, Slim. Whadda 'bout ya down dere, Red? Tell me ya got a fix on Drax."

Radio: Basic -- 1d100 = 53/98% (99%) -- to communicate with Kaedras and Juan

Assuming Juan replies in the negative, Icky grunts and cuts off the booster on his fighter. "It's all fun an' games until someone goes missin'... alright... Juan, see if ya can figure Drax's last known position an' shoot us da coordinates. Kaedras, get yer arse back 'ere an' let's try ta do da same. If Drax knows dese space-lanes as well as advertised, den 'e's used da storm as some sorta slingshot an' probably touchin' down already to enjoy a good laugh. But I'll be bamfed if I'm leavin' anyone behind if dat ain't da case. Me radar's a bit futzy so yer scanners got priority. Now let's find us a flyboy."

He double backs along the course and back into the ley line storm, trying to find any sign of Drax'ikl -- escape pod, vacuum suit, intact Star Hawk encased in meteoric ice, anything. At this point, I'll be happy with a 'back in 5 standard minutes' sign tacked to an asteroid.

Ensuing Piloting Shenanigans
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 83/89% to search for any traces of Drax'ikl
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 49/89% to search for any traces of Drax'ikl (in case it's needed)
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 82/89% to search for any traces of Drax'ikl (in case it's needed)


NOTE: Using same rules as before as he's going back into the ley line storm (since that's where Drax'ikl was last time they saw him)

Pilot Small Spacecraft at -35% -- 1d100 = 79/60% (-15% damage penlty; -20% situational penalty)
Pilot Small Spacecraft at -35% -- 1d100 = 33/60% (-15% damage penlty; -20% situational penalty)

Dodge Roll #1: 1d20+14 = 32 (+15 normal dodge; +5 situational bonus; +4 ship bonus; -10 damage penalty)
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 6/69% for additional +3 to dodge

Dodge Roll #2: 1d20+14 = 20 (+15 normal dodge; +5 situational bonus; +4 ship bonus; -10 damage penalty)
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 20/69% for additional +3 to dodge

Dodge Roll #3: 1d20+14 = 33 (+15 normal dodge; +5 situational bonus; +4 ship bonus; -10 damage penalty)
Sensory Equipment -- 1d100 = 91/69% for additional +3 to dodge

Random Ley Line Storm Event: 1d100 = 48 -- Euphoria for 2d4 = 6 minutes
Food is da universal language, an' me galley is da universal translator. Don't ya mess wit' either one while I'm 'round. Or even when I ain't 'round.

Please do not PM this account -- send your PMs to AGM account The Bos instead. Thanks!

------------------------------

- Max Bodily MDC: 187 ... Max ISP: 48 ... Max PPE: 12
- Armor Max MDC: 120 ... Force Field Max MDC: 110
- Natural Abilities: HF 11 ... 100’ nightvision (can see in total darkness) ... Fire/cold does 1/2 damage ... Fatigues at half rate of normal humans ... Lift 3,600 lbs & carry 1,800 lbs ... Jump 21.6’ across/10.8’ high standing; 54’ across/27’ high with running start
- Combat Notes: 8 APM ... +3 initiative; +11 strike; +13 parry; +14 dodge; +4 roll, disarm; +8 pull; +21 PS bonus ... Critical Strike on an unmodified 18-20 ... Boxing: auto KO on nat 20 for 1d6 melees ... Paired Weapons ... Body flip/throw
User avatar
Chef Icky
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm
Location: Phase World: Galactic Adventurers

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Juan Echo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Perception (27%): 1d100 = 12
JiC: 1d20 = 1/1d100 = 31

Skill Rolls
Charm (80%) -- 1d100 = 48: So this is awkward...

Juan clenches his half drank beer tensely as he sees the racers approach the magical storm. "Ladies and gentleurqos, I suggest that everyone take a moment to visit your friendly bartenders and order the next round, because in five minutes we will be watching some of the most ridiculously stupid low-orbit racing I have ever seen. Grab a nice cold... Zchit's Beer. That's not a real beer is it?" Rereading from a crudely scrawled notecard, "Huh, it is. Well, Zchit's Beer, it goes down so smooth you'll wonder what you're really drinking. Be sure to tip your bartender and server, people."

Unfortunately for everyone in the bar, the racers reach the storm sooner than expected, and few, if any, notice when Drax'ikl's ship disappears from the radar. Juan would be stunned except the exact same thing happened to Talos Echo, never to be heard from again after skidding into a Rift storm. He scans the room. It's never easy to break news like this. Yeah, especially when you're telling pirates that their king is dead. No, that usually ends well.

"Well, everyone, I always like to say that when it comes to low-orbit racing, there are no winners and loser, only survivors... usually. Unfortunately it does not look not look good for the Pirate King." He solemnly reads out the coordinates for Drax'ikl's last known location, then holding out his glass he say, "Live fast."

He pauses. "But I say, if you're going to die young, you'd better leave a good looking corpse. And for all we know Urqos Drax'ikl is not dead yet." Pointing at the drunk Wulfen and his mates, he says, "I have a ship. It's not very fast in orbit, but we can reach where Urqos Drax'ikl disappeared in an hour. If we can't save him, I'll put all my winnings to the funeral."

If the others agree to follow Juan, he will lead them out of the bar and back towards the hangar. As he does, he receives Kar's radio transmission:
Urqos Kar wrote:"Is all well in the bar?"

Juan laughs, "Oh my urqos, no. This is a low-orbit race, of course something went wrong. Meet me in the hangar, I'm going to take the Space Whale up to rescue Urqos Drax'ikl. Anyone else want to join?"

Urqos Icky wrote:"It's all fun an' games until someone goes missin'... alright... Juan, see if ya can figure Drax's last known position an' shoot us da coordinates. Kaedras, get yer arse back 'ere an' let's try ta do da same. If Drax knows dese space-lanes as well as advertised, den 'e's used da storm as some sorta slingshot an' probably touchin' down already to enjoy a good laugh. But I'll be bamfed if I'm leavin' anyone behind if dat ain't da case. Me radar's a bit futzy so yer scanners got priority. Now let's find us a flyboy."


"I'm already on my way to the hangar, and I'm bringing friends (hopefully). Head back to base, your ship has taken enough abuse and I don't want to have to search for you too."
Status: Juan Echo
M.D.C.: 300/300
P.P.E.: 50/50
I.S.P.: 76/76

May the rest of the Yayamama Pantheon have mercy on our SOULS!
User avatar
Juan Echo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Starchief » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:37 am

Perception: 1d100 = 49/59%
JIC: 1d20 = 10/1d100 = 19

As Aoife exits, Starchief thinks Hmm, McKenna doesn't look so hot. I'll check on her when we get back to the Dime.

On his fourth plate, Mara finally gets the information out to the table and Decker's change in attention gives Starchief the opening he needed to talk freely. "The water artifact was found by our team in the bowels of Center while combating a demonic invasion. I've seen a lot of tech in my time and this is definitely not that. It's... it's just gorgeous and serene and powerful all at once."

In response to the Commandant, Starchief says "Your forces are more than powerful enough to shut it down if it proves to be unsafe. Our goal is not to cause more disarray, but rather to strengthen your defense in the name of galactic safety and peace. These artifacts exist to be used in the machinery located here. To deny them that, well... I don't need to tell you what that'd mean." (Trust: 1d100 = 4/92% - PASS)

Starchief's eyes dart over to the desert trays being carted out. "And what have we here?" Regardless of the name of the item, Starchief loads his plate up with at least three of everything. Looking to Mara, he says between bites, "It's a shame Iktinos isn't with us. He'd enjoy this more than a Kreeghor loves fighting."
Starchief
Andra "Starchief" Sekona
the Shield of Seeron

MDC: 439/439|Costume: 20/20

Saving Throw Bonuses:
Vs. Insanity: +9|Vs. Magic: +10|Vs. Possession: +7|Vs. Psionic: +7
Vs. Poison: +7|Vs. Mind Control: +6|Vs. Disease: +6|Vs. Illusion: +5
Vs. Horror Factor: +8|Vs. Coma/Death: +51%|Perception: +3


Image

Ledger
User avatar
Starchief
Group Leader
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Phase World PC (Adventurers)

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Dark Lord » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:49 am

Now clear of the storm, Kaedras and Icky quickly determine that it is the pirate’s ship that is missing. Each pilot runs as comprehensive a sensor sweep as you can to try and locate Drax, or some sign of his passage (or destruction). Nothing on proximity sensors, though the storm does make those dicey at best. No radiation or heat, and motion patterns within the storm are too chaotic to pick anything out. Gravity sensors are next to useless this close to a planetary body, and there’s no sign of him on a visual scan. Short of diving back into the storm and looking for him, which is highly unlikely to produce a different result, you’ve done all you can in the search. You can stay and wait for the storm to subside (potentially over an hour, assuming there’s nothing extra-special in the mix with this one), or you can finish the race and return to the surface. After a brief huddle over short-range comms, Icky hopefully (but not expectantly) radios Juan at the surface to see if he can locate Drax’s ship.

Speaking of the surface, Kar and Juan have their own sticky situations to deal with. The mini-Felias relaxes fractionally when Kar identifies himself as not a tracer. ”I seriously gotta spell it out for you, dumbass? Gee, I dunno, why could a freaking pirate possibly be on the run? If you’re not here for me, then I don’t give a shit who you are. Just leave me the fuck alone.” Kar taps his radio to contact Juan, and the mini-Felias seizes the opportunity to zoom further into the air and away from Kar. If the ex-guardsman makes no effort to stop or follow him, the fellow quickly disappears from sight.

In the bar, the well-traveled Juan Echo anticipates some sort of disaster befalling those who mess with ley line storms, and gets everyone else good and liquored up beforehand just in case. His heart sinks when he sees only two ships emerge, though it raises quite a bit upon realizing that Drax’s is the missing vessel. Still, that leaves the problem of what to do with a bunch of his intoxicated minions. Bracing himself for another disaster closer to home, Juan decides to grab the bull by the horns and try to deflect it into a wall. He solemnly announces that Drax’s ship has not yet emerged from the storm, and upon establishing radio contact with Icky will confirm to all parties that the pirate leader is not showing up on anyone’s sensors. Taking the initiative, Juan offers his ship, the Dime Store Magic, and whips the pirates (especially the unsteadier ones) into a minor frenzy, and declares that he will locate the Catyr or pay for his funeral. The godling is banking on the accumulated goodwill (and possibly disloyalty), and it pays off- at first one then several, then the entire bar full of pirates shouts, ”For Drax!” and with a cry, charges out of the bar and towards the spaceport. Somehow, in the chaos Juan manages to get a reply to Kar, and while all the shouting in the background is noticeably he gets the gist. If Kar hurries, he can link up with Juan and the pirates before they get to the spaceport.

By this point, inspired as only alcohol can truly manage, the pirates are moving towards the Dime Store Magic at a determined, if uncoordinated clip. If Juan or Kar is near the front of the pirate group, Datephus will allow them entry onto the ship- otherwise, he will activate defensive forcefields and broadcast a warning over loudspeakers. ”ACCESS DENIED. CONTACT CAPTAIN DESIGNATE: STARCHIEF FOR ACCESS.” In either event, Juan’s or Kar’s permissions will be accepted, though Datephus will send a narrow-band transmission to state ”RECOMMEND AGAINST THISE COURSE OF ACTION. UNIDENTIFIED HUMANOIDS ARE CLEARLY INTOXICATED AND DIRTY, HIGH POTENTIAL TO INTERFERE WITH SHIP’S OPERATIONS” However, if nobody intervenes (and the pirates are sufficiently fired up that that will be difficult) a few minutes later the ship will blast up. Led by the intrepid Wandering God, a crew of a dozen or so intoxicated pirates will pilot a magical battleship into a ley line storm. What could possibly go wrong?

Meanwhile, Starchief’s quiet and civilized dinner is winding to a close. The small talk, gossip, and inane banter continues, but ultimately Starchief knows that it is his responsibility to close the deal. Feeling a little more confident after Mara’s intervention, he reassures everyone’s concerns about the safety of the operation, and plays to the Commandant’s ego and pride in her troops, before highlighting the potential strategic benefits of yet another use for such a powerful artifact. Starchief has her rapt attention during all of this, though he can’t help but feel like he is speaking while completely naked. Something about the way she is looking at him sends a small shiver down his spine- not entirely in a bad way, but definitely chilly. At the end of it she purses her lips, then speaks ”What you say is true- however, there is much about the device that we do not understand. This test of yours may have unintended consequences. Still, I suppose I must agree with the others present- it is likely worth the risk. On one condition.” Oh boy, there’s that look again. Like a shark.

”If the worst should happen, and we all should meet some horrid fate tomorrow, we should live this night as if it were our last, should we not? At least, that’s what we Atorians believe. You look like a man who could show a proper member of our nobility a truly spectacular last night. Do that for me, and I will agree to your request.” From her smile afterwards, she definitely doesn’t expect Starchief to turn her down. Assuming he doesn’t, the elderly Atorian ladies present will titter and murmur mild rebukes of ”Torrigan, you are so bad.” While Decker merely leers at Starchief- a grin that doesn’t reach all the way to his eyes.

Feeling deeply uncomfortable Starchief, Metri, and Mara wrap things up shortly thereafter. After extracting a promise to return to her aid in time for the evening’s ‘festivities’, Commandant Torrigan and her retinue disappear to some unknown purpose. You leave the Atorian compound just in time to see the Dime Store Magic lifting off.

What are you doing?
Why kill a PC when you can torture their player?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Dark Lord
Dimension Master
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 am
Location: DIMENSION MASTER: PHASE WORLD

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kaedras Starfall » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:47 am

Perception: 42% 1d100 = 72

JIC: 1d20 = 19
1d100 = 68

When sensors show nothing on Drax'ikl's ship, Kaedras is crestfallen. he radios Icky on his suit radio. "Chef... I doubt we'll find him in that storm... and we're risking the water relic if I go back in." He pauses to collect himself. This was supposed to be a lark. A fun little race to gain his confidence.

"We should return to the surface and find Drax'ikl's second in command. Until or unless Drax'ikl returns, that person will have to assume command. Can you radio the surface and update them? Maybe they can find him on long-range sensors."

He turns his ship back around and resumes flight, adhering to the "course" along the equator until they reach the landing zone, but not at top speed as before. I hope he's on the surface somewhere, having cheated us somehow. He's of no use to us dead or halfway across the universe, or in some other dimension altogether. What a madman to purposefully fly into a rift storm. Perhaps he might not have... if I hadn't pulled ahead of him. Should I have thrown the race? Let him lead?

His mind spinning out the possible outcomes of actions not taken, and reeling with recriminations, he lands back at the planetside landing zone. Disengaging the engine and engaging safety laqnding protocols, he then disembarks from the craft, hoping beyond hope that Drax'ikl awaits him inside, gloating like a madman.
Kaedras Starfall
I.S.P.: 114/178
M.D.C.: 37/37

Psionic Crystal Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Arms: 15 each
Legs: 22 each
Main Body: 35
Psionic Force Field: 70/70 (Can be used 4 times per 24 hour period without I.S.P. cost to user)
User avatar
Kaedras Starfall
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Juan Echo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:03 pm

Perception (27%): 1d100 = 46
JiC: 1d20 = 2/1d100 = 89

Skill Rolls
Impress (80%) -- 1d100 = 44: We're going on an adventure! Let's form a team
Pilot: Star Frigate (67%) -- 1d100 = 42: Taking off

This is not Juan's first time commandeering a crew of falling on the floor drunk pirates and immediately sending them on extremely dangerous mission.* However, he is still a member of the Galactic Adventurers, and the Dime Store Magic is the team's ship. After contacting Kar, and Icky, Juan reaches out on the team channel: "Urqos Chief? How are things going on your end? Things have gotten a bit exciting at the pirate bar, and now I need to take a bunch of new drinking buddies up into orbit. Do your or Urqos Metri or Urqos Mara want to join us on this mission?

He walks up to the Dime Store Magic and is about to board when he hears the shouts from his new friends stopped by the ship's security measures.
Space Whale wrote:RECOMMEND AGAINST THISE COURSE OF ACTION. UNIDENTIFIED HUMANOIDS ARE CLEARLY INTOXICATED AND DIRTY, HIGH POTENTIAL TO INTERFERE WITH SHIP’S OPERATIONS

The wisdom of a space whale rests heavily on the Wandering God. He realizes he cannot let everyone aboard. Come on brother, put two and two together, space whale's don't have security protocols. He is not hosting an after-party on the ship, he's leading a rescue mission.

He takes a moment to assess his new pirate crew, and says, "Well, it seems that the space whale will not let everyone on board. I think I can grant some of you temporary security clearance if you are qualified for this rescue mission. Those of you that stay on the ground will have important work to do. We need people working the scanners and radios to keep us updated. So, who here has a space suit?" (Almost, Jonny.) So Juan quickly picks a crew of up to six pirates to find a co-pilot, someone to operate sensors, someone for comms, and up to three pirates that have their own EBA's to go out and rescue anyone floating in space. He will wait for Kar and any other adventurers to join up, as well as the pirates to grab their EBA's. Space Whale, please grant the following urqos access to their respective stations. If they try to access a different system or enter an unauthorized part of your being, please notify me."

Once he's got his ad hoc crew on board, he will address them, "Urqos, I apologize for the security protocols, but the Chief is fussy about strangers on his space whale. And the Chef is even fussier about his galley. However, if we do rescue Urqos Drax'ikl, you may want to demand he make you some of his stuffed crepes."

Once everyone is aboard, Juan will check on the radio, "Priest Icky, we are ready for take off. If you are still near the ley line storm, please send us your coordinates so we can rendezvous."

Juan takes off with a space whale full of drunk pirates on his way to rescue their king.


* The Wanderer and the Princess climb out of their star fighter, and into the bridge of the cruiser that have just collided with. A group of pirates are staggering around, disoriented and unable to speak, but they do not seemed to have been injured by the crash. Instead, they seemed to have been in the middle of some kind of party. The vaulted arches that give the bridge its structure have been lined with balloons, and a banner is hanging in the middle: A CAPTAIN IS ONLY AS OLD AS HIS SHIP! But the captain is no where to be found, until the Wanderer sees a suspicious dark stain trailing underneath the fighter. He taps his companion gently.
Taking the hint, the Princess seizes the moment. Brandishing two laser pistols she hops down from the fighter's nose and screams, "By the laws of open space I claim this ship! Either join me or get spaced!"
Without flinching, the nearest pirate, presumably the first officer, takes to his knee and says, "Aye aye captain!" The others fall in line before the Wanderer can prepare for a fight. The ship is theirs.
"Alright urqos, to your stations! We have an ship full of Kreeghor bounty hunters in hot pursuit. Let's turn around and give them a fight your last captain would be proud to die in!"
And that's the story of the third time that Jonny and June took to space piracy
Status: Juan Echo
M.D.C.: 300/300
P.P.E.: 50/50
I.S.P.: 76/76

May the rest of the Yayamama Pantheon have mercy on our SOULS!
User avatar
Juan Echo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kar Fallax » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:09 am

Perception: 1d100 = 23 vs 24%
JIC: 1d20 = 10 and 1d100 = 99

Dark Lord wrote:The mini-Felias relaxes fractionally when Kar identifies himself as not a tracer. ”I seriously gotta spell it out for you, dumbass? Gee, I dunno, why could a freaking pirate possibly be on the run? If you’re not here for me, then I don’t give a shit who you are. Just leave me the fuck alone.” Kar taps his radio to contact Juan, and the mini-Felias seizes the opportunity to zoom further into the air and away from Kar. If the ex-guardsman makes no effort to stop or follow him, the fellow quickly disappears from sight.


When the Felias disappears from sight Kar chuffs loudly, his mouth and nose tighten up as he looks around, I should have just killed it. Next time. Then he sees what looks like a sea of drunken pirates heading toward the direction of the teams ship. What now? Kar follows the group loosely until he notices that Juan is leading the charge. Making his way to the front of the pack just as they reach the ship he hears the security warning and turns to Juan, "Do you think this is a good idea?" His head tilted slightly down and eyes wide, he hopes Juan realizes this is more of a rhetorical question.

Juan Echo wrote:He takes a moment to assess his new pirate crew, and says, "Well, it seems that the space whale will not let everyone on board. I think I can grant some of you temporary security clearance if you are qualified for this rescue mission. Those of you that stay on the ground will have important work to do. We need people working the scanners and radios to keep us updated. So, who here has a space suit?" He will wait for Kar and any other adventurers to join up, as well as the pirates to grab their EBA's. Space Whale, please grant the following urqos access to their respective stations. If they try to access a different system or enter an unauthorized part of your being, please notify me."


Kar walks closer to Juan and whispers, "This does not sound much better. We should not allow them on board." Kar shakes his head knowing the god will mostly likely not listen to him and thinks, Great, a drunk god and his band of merry men.

Juan Echo wrote:Once he's got his ad hoc crew on board, he will address them, "Urqos, I apologize for the security protocols, but the Chief is fussy about strangers on his space whale. And the Chef is even fussier about his galley. However, if we do rescue Urqos Drax'ikl, you may want to demand he make you some of his stuffed crepes."


Once everyone is inside Kar will make his way to the bridge and remove anyone at the navigation station. "You stand back up," he tells the drunken fool. If we are going to do this, damned if we are going to get lost. Kar turns to Juan and asks, "Where was he seen last?" Kar will provide navigation for Juan to fly to the last known location and then access the ships sensors to try to locate the pirates ship once they are in orbit.

Skills
Navigation: Orbital 82% vs 1d100 = 37 - Navigate off the planet into orbit
Navigation: Space 72% vs 1d100 = 25 - Navigate out of orbit as needed to find the pirate
Sensory Equipment 57% vs 1d100 = 69 - Access ships sensors to locate the missing ship
User avatar
Kar Fallax
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 am

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Mara » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:40 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 58 / 65% (95% when dealing with vampires or undead)
JiC: 1d20 = 14 1d100 = 76

Conditions: Eye of Knowledge (15)-- 90 min duration, understand and speak all languages at 96%, literate at 82%

Dark Lord wrote: ”What you say is true- however, there is much about the device that we do not understand. This test of yours may have unintended consequences. Still, I suppose I must agree with the others present- it is likely worth the risk. On one condition.” Oh boy, there’s that look again. Like a shark.

Mara smiles at Starburst briefly, I think I know that look. Starburst is in for a rough night.

Dark Lord wrote:”If the worst should happen, and we all should meet some horrid fate tomorrow, we should live this night as if it were our last, should we not? At least, that’s what we Atorians believe. You look like a man who could show a proper member of our nobility a truly spectacular last night. Do that for me, and I will agree to your request.” From her smile afterwards, she definitely doesn’t expect Starchief to turn her down. Assuming he doesn’t, the elderly Atorian ladies present will titter and murmur mild rebukes of ”Torrigan, you are so bad.” While Decker merely leers at Starchief- a grin that doesn’t reach all the way to his eyes.

Mara nods, "Well, that is the way life should always be lived." She notices Decker's look, What is up with that one?

Dark Lord wrote:Feeling deeply uncomfortable Starchief, Metri, and Mara wrap things up shortly thereafter. After extracting a promise to return to her aid in time for the evening’s ‘festivities’, Commandant Torrigan and her retinue disappear to some unknown purpose. You leave the Atorian compound just in time to see the Dime Store Magic lifting off.

"Uhmmm, wasn't that our ship?" She looks at Starburst and with a straight face, "Who did you leave the keys with and now how are you going to primp for tonight?" This is definitely not going to be good!
Mara Archerean

PPE: 288 / 288
ISP: 85 / 85
MDC: 381/381
H.F.: 14
Heart in Chains Tattoo: 0/450 MDC(inactive)

Constant: Sixth Sense

Soundtrack:
''Zombie'' by Damned Anthem
Evanescence - Bring Me To Life (Ghost in the Machine Remix)
Adele vs. Linkin Park - Set Fire To The End
Tomorrow We Fight
User avatar
Mara
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Starchief » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 50/59%
JIC: 1d20 = 16/1d100 = 5

"For the safety of the galaxy, of course Commandant. I'll meet you back here at your...leisure." Starchief tries to keep himself composed even though the veil has been lifted. Everyone knew what was happening later that night. "Mara, Metri, should we go check on the Dime and see how the rest of our crew fairs? I'm going to need... a few...things. For the safety of the galaxy."

Mara wrote:"Uhmmm, wasn't that our ship?" She looks at Starburst and with a straight face, "Who did you leave the keys with and now how are you going to primp for tonight?"

"Whu... whut... what..."Starchief's brain crashes a little as he goes over scenarios in his head. New guy was a plant? No. Quan wants his ship back? QUAAAANNNNN!!! No. The Wandering God decided to do something reckless? "JUAAAAAAANNNN!!!" His cry echoing through the Atorian architecture, Starchief's Iron Will seems to have found its limits and his rage erupts to the surface verbally.
He immediately turns the volume up on his comm unit (previously turned down for the dinner) and hails the Dime Store Magic. "Attention anyone on board the Dime Store Magic who can hear me. This is Captain Sekona. You may call me Starchief. You have 30 seconds to tell me why the frak my ship is in the sky and who the hell you are before I come after you and turn you into so much space dust. Over." (Intimidate: 1d100 = 93/92%, Radio Basic: 1d100 = 64/100%)
He turns back to Mara and Metri. "Which of you two can get me airborne? I need a spell or something ASAP."
Starchief
Andra "Starchief" Sekona
the Shield of Seeron

MDC: 439/439|Costume: 20/20

Saving Throw Bonuses:
Vs. Insanity: +9|Vs. Magic: +10|Vs. Possession: +7|Vs. Psionic: +7
Vs. Poison: +7|Vs. Mind Control: +6|Vs. Disease: +6|Vs. Illusion: +5
Vs. Horror Factor: +8|Vs. Coma/Death: +51%|Perception: +3


Image

Ledger
User avatar
Starchief
Group Leader
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Phase World PC (Adventurers)

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Juan Echo » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:19 am

<Rolls carry>
At any given moment there is a strong probability that there is someone cursing the name of the Wandering God. Right now, it is Starchief. Juan Echo has taken the Dime Store Magic, Starchief's ship, without giving any warning. In his defense, he needs it to rescue the Pirate King, Drax'ikl; and the aforementioned pirate king has disappeared during a high-stakes low-orbit race; a race that Juan partially instigated; after he had gotten a bar full of pirates ridiculously drunk. But hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Urqos Chief wrote:"Attention anyone on board the Dime Store Magic who can hear me. This is Captain Sekona. You may call me Starchief. You have 30 seconds to tell me why the frak my ship is in the sky and who the hell you are before I come after you and turn you into so much space dust. Over."

He sounds cute when he's angry, neh? He sounds... frustrated? Maybe, Jonny. Best let him on board, you need someone sober on this ship. Juan picks up the radio and responds. "Urqos Chief? It is I, the Wandering God Juan Echo. We're conducting an impromptu rescue mission in orbit. To be honest, we could use your help wrangling the crew of drunk pirates helping out. You should jump up and join us. Stand by. Over."

If possible, Juan will then put the ship to hovering above the Free World Council base. He looks around the bridge at the other pirates and Kar. Getting up from the pilot's seat, he looks to the other Adventurer and says, "Urqos Kar, the captain is going to be joining us. Please, hold down the bridge while I him up."

Juan then heads to the cargo bay. He scans the hallways as he walks; in theory the group of pirates he allowed should be either on the bridge or in the cargo bay waiting to go rescue their boss. "Space Whale, where are the pirates?" If any pirates are wandering the ship, he will use the ship's speaker system to ask them to meet him in the cargo bay. Once there, he will open its large bay door and walk towards the edge.

"Ok,Urqos Chief! I have the cargo bay door open, ask Urqos Metri if he can give you some Cosmic Armor to fly up and join us! Urqos Mara, I have a heavily inked urqos that has a new knife game you might want to learn."

If Metri casts Cosmic Armor on any of the other Adventurers, Juan will be waiting in the bay to greet them. If not, then Juan will turn this ship around right now and go to pick up who ever wants to hop on board the Dime Store Magic. Juan welcomes them, introduces the drunk pirates, and provides a quick briefing on the mission at hand: "So, I got a bunch of pirates drunk, say hi everyone. And Urqos Kaedras kinda sorta challenged their boss to a low-orbit race. It was thrilling, they weaved around space debris like pros! Until they entered an unexpected ley line storm and we lost a racer. Urqos Kaedras should be fine, but Priest Icky's rocket has taken a few lumps and he's still up there searching. I want to bring him in immediately. Then we can patrol the area, find Urqos Drax'ikl, and send our new friends to pull him on board. Someone might want to stay here to help the pirates prepare for their space walk."

With that said, the Wanderer will rush back to the pilot's seat and plot a course for Icky's last location to rendezvous with him.
Status: Juan Echo
M.D.C.: 300/300
P.P.E.: 50/50
I.S.P.: 76/76

May the rest of the Yayamama Pantheon have mercy on our SOULS!
User avatar
Juan Echo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Chef Icky » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 14/43
JIC: 1d100 = 51/1d20 = 8

Perception: /43%
JIC: /

Conditions
  • main engines, radar and computers, maneuvering rockets and missile launcher down (not that the latter was an option for this race anyway); 'some damage' to the main body
  • -15% on all piloting maneuvers
  • -10 to strike/parry/dodge for the rest of the race
  • Landing the ship safely will require a piloting skill check at -15%
  • Icky's normal pilot skill is 95% and is usually +15 to dodge
  • Don’t forget the ships’ maneuverability bonuses on P. 141 of DB6. (+3 initiative, +1 strike, +4 dodge, +6 dodge at maximum speed, +15% on dog-fighting and special maneuvers)


Kaedras Starfall wrote:"Chef... I doubt we'll find him in that storm... and we're risking the water relic if I go back in." He pauses to collect himself. This was supposed to be a lark. A fun little race to gain his confidence.

"We should return to the surface and find Drax'ikl's second in command. Until or unless Drax'ikl returns, that person will have to assume command. Can you radio the surface and update them? Maybe they can find him on long-range sensors."


Icky grumbles to himself. Ultimately he has to agree with Kaedras about the importance of the artifact. That doesn't mean I have to like it though... he adds to himself as he clicks his comms. "Alright, Slim. Go head on back an' see if he's down dere laughin' his arse off at us. If he is tell him joke's over an' lemme know. I ain't ready ta give up yet." He skirts the edges of the storm trying to pick up any signal he can. To his surprise, the signals he's getting aren't Drax'ikl's but rather some more familiar ones.

Juan Echo wrote:"Priest Icky, we are ready for take off. If you are still near the ley line storm, please send us your coordinates so we can rendezvous."


"So da Dime Store Magical cavalry's ridin' to da rescue?" He quips back as he relays coordinates. "What, Meatball an' his bunch get done wit' deir schmoozin' already?"

Starchief wrote:"Attention anyone on board the Dime Store Magic who can hear me. This is Captain Sekona. You may call me Starchief. You have 30 seconds to tell me why the frak my ship is in the sky and who the hell you are before I come after you and turn you into so much space dust. Over."


Ohhhhhhhhhhh fraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkk... Icky moans. "Red, what in da Hades Twelve do ya think yer doin'?"
Food is da universal language, an' me galley is da universal translator. Don't ya mess wit' either one while I'm 'round. Or even when I ain't 'round.

Please do not PM this account -- send your PMs to AGM account The Bos instead. Thanks!

------------------------------

- Max Bodily MDC: 187 ... Max ISP: 48 ... Max PPE: 12
- Armor Max MDC: 120 ... Force Field Max MDC: 110
- Natural Abilities: HF 11 ... 100’ nightvision (can see in total darkness) ... Fire/cold does 1/2 damage ... Fatigues at half rate of normal humans ... Lift 3,600 lbs & carry 1,800 lbs ... Jump 21.6’ across/10.8’ high standing; 54’ across/27’ high with running start
- Combat Notes: 8 APM ... +3 initiative; +11 strike; +13 parry; +14 dodge; +4 roll, disarm; +8 pull; +21 PS bonus ... Critical Strike on an unmodified 18-20 ... Boxing: auto KO on nat 20 for 1d6 melees ... Paired Weapons ... Body flip/throw
User avatar
Chef Icky
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm
Location: Phase World: Galactic Adventurers

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Dark Lord » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:17 am

In orbit, Icky’s and Kaderas’ spirits sink with the growing realization that they cannot find Drax. After a brief conference, Kaedras dejectedly heads to the finish line- the race all but forgotten in the bar below. He lands, passing the Dime Store Magic on its own climb into orbit, and finds no sign of the pirate leader. The bar is largely empty, besides a few old codgers too drunk or decrepit to join Juan’s rabble. Meanwhile, Icky opts to stay put and continue the search. Around 10 minutes after Kaedras leaves, the ley line storm dissipates. When it does, it reveals that the meteor storm (such as it was) is also gone, but there is still no sign of Drax. While there is a small amount of debris left behind, close-range scans taken over subsequent hours will only reveal trace organics of unknown origin- could be Drax's remains, could be something from the ley line storm or a rift. There is no inorganic debris consistent with spacefaring technology, however.

On the surface, Juan tries to use Datephus to bluff some of the pirates to stay behind. Unfortunately he is reminded, as were so many others before him, that being the voice of caution to a crowd of drunks is a little like farting into the wind. His initial attempts at raising Starchief fail, and while the pirates initially seem cowed once Datephus lowers the ship’s protective shield the rabble storms the ship with a cry. Kar, who is having his own turn at being the ignored voice of reason, hops up to the bridge and takes the navigation station. With only two of you to keep the pirates corralled, the initial effort is not terribly successful. Aoife breaks a few limbs when three of them start wandering around the upper decks and trying to access crew quarters or the armory, but they retreat to the med bay and even the super-soldier is too ill to follow. The majority of the rabble either follows Kar and Juan to the bridge or mills uncertainly about the cargo bay and lounge. A later survey of the ship’s supplies will reveal that some of your guests have sticky fingers.

Eventually, Starchief escapes dinner (after agreeing to a certain indecent proposal) and he and Mara see the ship rising into the air. Once you finally get through, Juan holds position and opens the cargo bay doors, while on the ground Metri pipes up ”Give you armor, I can.” A few quick incantations later, and the three of you are soaring up to join the team. Juan meets you in the cargo bay and explains the situation. Assuming the boss goes along with Juan’s plan, the Dime Store Magic blasts into orbit, passing Kaedras along the way, and makes for Icky’s coordinates. By the time the ship has arrived, all storms have dissipated but the Dime Store Magic can do little more than confirm what Icky’s instruments were telling you all along. There is no sign of Drax anywhere.

By the time the Dime Store Magic has arrived, it is about 8PM local time. Post how long you remain in orbit searching. Regardless of what you do or where you go, at about 11PM Drax reappears at the storm’s coordinates, in the exact same position and on the exact same heading and speed he was on when he disappeared. If any ships are still present, they will be subject to some taunting that quickly morphs into confusion as he realizes that something is amiss. If you’ve given up the search by then, Drax will finish the race fully prepared to gloat, only to have the inevitable confusion be that much more shattering. Either way, upon later conversation Drax will reveal that it only seemed like 1d4 = 4 minutes to him, but any sorrow over losing the race will be more than drowned out as only drunken enthusiasm can. The Catyr happily pays out the credits he owes to both Icky and Kaedras, and nonchalantly agrees to anything you propose concerning the relics. Mission accomplished.

After Drax lands, the pirates will renew the party around midnight and insist on hustling everyone back to the bar. They will not molest any of the crew who refuse to take part save for Juan, who they will wake up if need be. All of the other ships’ hands are welcome. At some point, Starchief will slip off to do his duty. Everyone post what you do for the rest of the evening, how much you drink, when you go to bed, etc. Lack of specificity will be dealt with harshly.

What are you doing?

Med Bay Losses
1: Phase Tech Full Medkit (P125 PW)
10: Jump Start Stimulant Syringes (P111 DB6)
5: Knock Out Spray (P111 DB6)
5: Spray Skin (P111 DB6)
5: Doses of Qwik-Clot
10: Tubes of Protein Healing Salve

Cargo Bayo Losses
1: Phase Tech Full Medkit (P125 PW)
1: Diamondback Chainsaw (P112 Merc-ops)
2: Handheld MD Power Drills (P112-133 Merc-ops)
2: Vibro Cutters (P113 merc-ops)
Why kill a PC when you can torture their player?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Dark Lord
Dimension Master
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 am
Location: DIMENSION MASTER: PHASE WORLD

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kaedras Starfall » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:40 am

Perception: 45% 1d100 = 67

JIC: 1d20 = 6
1d100 = 24

Chef Icky wrote:"Alright, Slim. Go head on back an' see if he's down dere laughin' his arse off at us. If he is tell him joke's over an' lemme know. I ain't ready ta give up yet."


"Good luck."

As he passes the DSM on his way to the surface, he does a double take. Where in the Three Galaxies do they think they're going? Aldón is on that ship!

Note
Any Pirates who successfully gain entry into Kaedras' quarters (Room Q8) will be met by 300 pounds of angry steel in lupine form. A swift exit is recommended.


He powers down the fighter and goes back into the bar, only to find it mostly empty. What Yayamama nonsense is this? He sits, and nurses a single beer as he waits dejectedly for others to return.

I did not mean to lose Drax'ikl in a rift... I hope I haven't harmed our chances of completing our mission. Having nowhere else to go until Juan brings the DSM back, Kaedras will make himself comfortable at the bar, ordering a modest dinner and a second beer.

He will sit and eat quietly, attempting to enjoy what is essentially frontier fare to his Alfheim palate.

If Icky returns, or the others return in the DSM, he will look to them hopefully as they enter. "Did you have any luck locating Drax'ikl? He was not here when I arrived as I had hoped."

He will then retire to his quarters aboard the DSM, where he will spend what time he can in meditation and rest to regain his spent ISP.

OOC Comments
Please let me know if I regain any ISP, and how much.


At midnight, when the pirates hustle everyone back to the bar, Kaedras will be pleased to see Drax'ikl alive and well.

He will offer the Catyr a slight smile. "That was quite a race - you had me in the first half. In the future I would recommend going around the Rift Storm, however. My fellows entered the storm after you, in attempt to locate you and your vessel." He places a hand on the Catyr's shoulder. When he is given his winnings, he returns Drax'ikl's 5k Credits to him, saying "I wanted to win, certainly, but not that way. Perhaps another time we may have a rematch."

He will sit near the pirate captain and buy him a drink in celebration of his return, and, as they talk, he will speak of their mission, and seek his permission to enter the ruins.
Kaedras Starfall
I.S.P.: 114/178
M.D.C.: 37/37

Psionic Crystal Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Arms: 15 each
Legs: 22 each
Main Body: 35
Psionic Force Field: 70/70 (Can be used 4 times per 24 hour period without I.S.P. cost to user)
User avatar
Kaedras Starfall
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kar Fallax » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:55 am

Perception: 1d100 = 50 vs 24%
JIC: 1d20 = 11 and 1d100 = 89

Kar works the sensors on the ship for as long as the team decides to stay in orbit. This is a waste of time. I will never get these hours back, he thinks to himself, fully assured the Catyr is lost. He finds himself fixated on the the Felias in the back of his mind, How did that damned thing manage to get the drop on me? Unconsciously he rubs the side of his head the Felias had caught him with the tiny vibro blade. If I ever get my hands on that little bastard.

The tedious searching ends when Drax's ship appears where it disappeared. Well if that isn't luck, I don't know what is, he thinks to himself with a chuff. Turning to Juan he asks, "Can we go back now?

Arriving back on the planet the commotion commences and the pirates all make for the bar. Kar watches shaking his head, This is Thraxus' best? Kar turns from the group and makes his way to his quarters. This is more like a party cruise. Finding himself in his quarters shortly after landing he will go to bed hoping to wake up in the morning to find it was all a nightmare.

In the morning, if he hears about the theft onboard he will oks toward Juan, "I told you that was not a good idea."

Healing from the Felias
per minute 2d6 = 11, 2d6 = 8, 2d6 = 5
User avatar
Kar Fallax
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 am

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Juan Echo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:33 am

Perception (27%): 1d100 = 36
JiC: 1d20 = 1/1d100 = 54

The search for Drax'ikl is a typical misadventure for Juan Echo - go to bar, make new friends, get everyone roaring drunk, someone decides to tempt fate in some death-defying feat, it goes wrong, and then the Wandering God manages to find a way of making things even more chaotic. So the chaos in the Dime Store Magic is almost cozy to Juan. He keeps yelling for the pirates to stay out of the med bay, but probably sounds like an invitation for the pirates to help themselves.

Upon reaching Icky's rocket, Juan radios the priest, for the love of his God, to head back down. The Ley Line storm may have dissipated, and the danger has diminished but not died. And nor has Urqos Drax'ikl. After two hours, even the Wanderer is starting to grow concerned, and if was not for the hectoring from the pirate gallery, he would have taken Kar's advice and turned around. But, looking at the clock, he says, "We'll turn around at 11:15."

That turns out to be an auspicious time to turn back, since the pirate king reemerges. Juan clarifies things by saying, "That must have been the longest four minutes of your life. My urqos are both at the finish line waiting for you... Circumstances being what they are, I can't take your money, but I can take your booze. So if you pay the rest of my bar tabs (including the ones Jonny may have not paid on his way out to rescue you) we can call it even."

Returning the Dime Store Magic to the FWC hangar, the pirates then return Juan to the bar to continue the night of debauchery. The light in Juan's eyes flickers, both brighter and dimmer than usual, overstimulated. He just goes with the flow of urqos back for more drinks. He plops himself at the booth with Drax'ikl and a few others to wash back another beer, and second, and then someone offers whiskey. Jonny... Juan politely declines, but custom would insist he drink, so he asks for a coffee to go with his brown liquor. The caffeine helps take the edge off of what has been an eventful day. In theory. Juan is served a warm murky brown beverage with a bitter bite that is made drinkable with brown liquor, and he savors it.

By 1:30 am, the Wanderer has settled deep into the worn pleather seat and is eye level with most of the others at the table. He makes small talk while scanning the crowd. Jonny, you could use some sleep. He looks for someone he can bunk with, maybe the heavily scarred woman he saw earlier, if she is still around. I said sleep, not sleeper hold, you giant red priapic doofus! She is not. And so Juan orders another coffee.

He finishes that Irish coffee about an hour later and orders another. One pirate, happy to see the him rally, gives the Wandering God a hearty pat on the back. This is a confluence of wrong time and wrong location, as Juan clutches his upper abdomen, forcefully slides over whoever is sitting next to him at the table and run for the bathroom. A loud hum emits from there followed by a swirl of colorful light oozing out the door. The color inside the bathroom is a more muted bile brown that no amount of scrubbing will fully cleanse. But such is the radiance of the Yayamama Pantheon, glory be upon those bestowed with it. Another drink is waiting for the the Wandering God when he returns from the restroom.

It is 3:00 in the morning when Juan Echo starts to nod off at the table. A coffee in one hand, his head resting on the nearest pirate as he occasionally opens his eyes to make a gesture of taking a sip of his beverage. When someone makes a joke about the God of Nap Time, he mutters, "Are you offering to be my Urqos Binky?"* Another sip, and the lukewarm beverage spill over the table.

Sometime between 6 and 7 in the morning, Juan will slowly lumber to consciousness. He will drink three cups of coffee, one with some Irish sweetener, to start his day. He also orders two eggs, a dash of vinegar, and three shakes of hot sauce in a glass. He gives hugs to whoever is around, thanking them for their hospitality and sharing in a memorable night. If Drax'ikl is not at the bar still, Juan will go look for him. He will check to see how the Catyr is doing after the drinking, and the racing, and the drinking. Then he will make his way back to the Dime Store Magic.

* Urqos Binky was an exceptionally obese member of an unknown ursine race. He was Juan Echo's sleeping companion when the Wanderer was between the ages of 3 and 120, when he had decided that he was too old to sleep with a bear. Whenever Juan had a nightmare, he would squeeze Urqos Binky tightly, twice dislocating his shoulder. Joan Echo also has fond memories of Urqos Binky. He was connoisseur of fine teas, and taught Hostess the proper way to set a table in the afternoon.
Status: Juan Echo
M.D.C.: 300/300
P.P.E.: 50/50
I.S.P.: 76/76

May the rest of the Yayamama Pantheon have mercy on our SOULS!
User avatar
Juan Echo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Chef Icky » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:24 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 48/43
JIC: 1d100 = 29/1d20 = 10

Conditions
  • main engines, radar and computers, maneuvering rockets and missile launcher down (not that the latter was an option for this race anyway); 'some damage' to the main body
  • -15% on all piloting maneuvers
  • -10 to strike/parry/dodge for the rest of the race
  • Landing the ship safely will require a piloting skill check at -15%
  • Icky's normal pilot skill is 95% and is usually +15 to dodge
  • Don’t forget the ships’ maneuverability bonuses on P. 141 of DB6. (+3 initiative, +1 strike, +4 dodge, +6 dodge at maximum speed, +15% on dog-fighting and special maneuvers)


Kaedras Starfall wrote:"Good luck."


"Roger dat, same to ya." Icky quips back.

Dark Lord wrote:In orbit, Icky’s and Kaderas’ spirits sink with the growing realization that they cannot find Drax. After a brief conference, Kaedras dejectedly heads to the finish line- the race all but forgotten in the bar below. He lands, passing the Dime Store Magic on its own climb into orbit, and finds no sign of the pirate leader. The bar is largely empty, besides a few old codgers too drunk or decrepit to join Juan’s rabble. Meanwhile, Icky opts to stay put and continue the search. Around 10 minutes after Kaedras leaves, the ley line storm dissipates. When it does, it reveals that the meteor storm (such as it was) is also gone, but there is still no sign of Drax. While there is a small amount of debris left behind, close-range scans taken over subsequent hours will only reveal trace organics of unknown origin- could be Drax's remains, could be something from the ley line storm or a rift. There is no inorganic debris consistent with spacefaring technology, however.


Icky sits in his cockpit, grumbling all the while doing sensor sweeps that keep coming back with the same results (or lack thereof) every time. When the Dime Store Magic arrives on the scene he at first is resistant to Juan's urging to abandon the search but after about an hour of stubbornly hanging around an arguing with the Yayamama ultimately has to concede that his fighter is in no condition to offer effective assistance and grudgingly heads back to the hangar around 9pm local time. Cognizant of how battered his ship is, he comes in as gingerly and careful as he can. The race is over, no need to be a Top Gun showoff.

Pete "Maverick" Mitchell or Launchpad McQuack? The Virtual Dice Will Decide...
Pilot Small Spacecraft -- 1d100 = 66/80%


Once he's down and clear, he returns to the locker room for his gear and flags down the crew chief on duty. "Oi, sorry 'bout da dents an' scratches dere chum. Yer buddy Drax likes playin' 'Thread Da Debris' fer sizzle." He grimaces as he reluctantly pulls out one of his cards. "Dis... dis should help wit' da repairs. If dere's anythin' left, buy yerself an' da rest o' yer bunch some o' da good stuff, alrite?" It takes some effort but he hands it over before heading back to the bar to find it mostly empty with the notable exception of his fellow racer at the bar. He takes seat next to him and orders three beers to start off.

((OOC: Icky's handing over the Secure Universal Card with 1,071,429 © UTC on it. Yes, it's the card with the least amount on it but he's still loathe to part with it even though it's the 'right' thing to do.))

Kaedras Starfall wrote:"Did you have any luck locating Drax'ikl? He was not here when I arrived as I had hoped."


Icky shakes his massive head in between chugs. "Nuthin'. Not even after da storm dissipated. If da bugger's lucky, it spat 'im out on da far side o' da galaxy relatively close to somethin' resemblin' civilization. If he wasn't lucky... well, he could be resemblin' Cro-Mango salsa in body, thought, an' deed by now."

When Drax'ikl is finally found, however, he bellows with surprise and joy. "Well cut off me arse an' serve it up as rump roast -- we didn't lose 'im after all!" He rouses Kaedras and greets the returning flying ace and the other pirates back to the bar (resisting the urge to lay a bovine roundhouse right across Juan's big red jaw for taking up the DSM with a motley crew of pirates) and is dead center in the revelry that follows.

Kaedras Starfall wrote:He will offer the Catyr a slight smile. "That was quite a race - you had me in the first half. In the future I would recommend going around the Rift Storm, however. My fellows entered the storm after you, in attempt to locate you and your vessel." He places a hand on the Catyr's shoulder. When he is given his winnings, he returns Drax'ikl's 5k Credits to him, saying "I wanted to win, certainly, but not that way. Perhaps another time we may have a rematch."


Icky will refuse as well. "Oi, chum, like Slim 'ere said we're gonna haveta pull a rematch. Wins on account o' space magic storms don't count... an' anyway, dat was da most fun I've 'ad in months dat didn't involve demons or body snatchers. Any ol' excuse ta do it again is a good one in me book."

He'll match anyone in the bar drink for drink over the next few hours, loudly offering a toast of thanks to Dionysus every time and swapping war stories with Drax'ikl or anyone else. When 3am rolls around and he sees Juan start nodding off he'll shake his head and laugh. "Oi, Red, one o' dese days yer gonna haveta learn ta hold yer booze. Looks like we need ta call it a night -- never know what fresh frell Meatball's gonna throw our way in da mornin'..." He shuffles over (possibly a little unsteady himself, given the fact that this is his first real bender since Big D's tweaking) and if he's still coherent enough he gathers him up over his shoulder and brings him back to the ship to sleep it off (otherwise, he'll let sleeping gods lie and make his way back on his own).

Setting an alarm for 6ish -- and regretting it when it goes off right after Icky closes his eyes, he grumbles to himself through a shower and a change of fatigues before heading to the galley to get breakfast started. Coffee (lots of it), lurduuk eggs, Duneracer sausage, bristleback bacon, gorapple jelly, fresh fruit and 37-grain toast.

If informed of the thefts, he'll look Juan square in the eye. "First blow worms an' lurduuks, now pirates wit' an overdeveloped sense o' larceny. Next time ya get da bright idea ta bring company on board, Red, I swear ta D I'm gonna shove a Power Halberd up yer arse an' jiggle da handle like a fresher unit dat won't shut off." He gives just enough of a smirky grin to leave doubt as to whether or not he's serious before slurping a big gulp of the coffee.

When Starchief and/or the others show up he'll give them a chuckle. "Oi, ya 'eard da fun we got inta last night? How'd yer side o' da job go?"
Food is da universal language, an' me galley is da universal translator. Don't ya mess wit' either one while I'm 'round. Or even when I ain't 'round.

Please do not PM this account -- send your PMs to AGM account The Bos instead. Thanks!

------------------------------

- Max Bodily MDC: 187 ... Max ISP: 48 ... Max PPE: 12
- Armor Max MDC: 120 ... Force Field Max MDC: 110
- Natural Abilities: HF 11 ... 100’ nightvision (can see in total darkness) ... Fire/cold does 1/2 damage ... Fatigues at half rate of normal humans ... Lift 3,600 lbs & carry 1,800 lbs ... Jump 21.6’ across/10.8’ high standing; 54’ across/27’ high with running start
- Combat Notes: 8 APM ... +3 initiative; +11 strike; +13 parry; +14 dodge; +4 roll, disarm; +8 pull; +21 PS bonus ... Critical Strike on an unmodified 18-20 ... Boxing: auto KO on nat 20 for 1d6 melees ... Paired Weapons ... Body flip/throw
User avatar
Chef Icky
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm
Location: Phase World: Galactic Adventurers

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Starchief » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:50 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 8/59%
JIC: 1d20 = 16/1d100 = 69

At Metri's offer for magical armor, Starchief gives a quick nod and allows himself to be doused in mana. The moment he's able to fly, he takes off full speed toward the DSM.

Juan Echo wrote:"Urqos Chief? It is I, the Wandering God Juan Echo. We're conducting an impromptu rescue mission in orbit. To be honest, we could use your help wrangling the crew of drunk pirates helping out. You should jump up and join us. Stand by. Over."

Drunk pirates on my ship? Not today, damnit. "Hold position and prepare for boarding."

Juan Echo wrote:"Ok,Urqos Chief! I have the cargo bay door open, ask Urqos Metri if he can give you some Cosmic Armor to fly up and join us! Urqos Mara, I have a heavily inked urqos that has a new knife game you might want to learn."

Starchief doesn't respond over comms, but thinks to himself I've got some games with knives I'd like to play right now.

He flies up into the cargo bay and walks his way straight up the stairs to the Upper Deck and then to the bridge. The whole way not speaking as Juan Echo gives his summary of what happened. This is... insane. Upon reaching the bridge, Starchief activates the shipwide comms to make an announcement. "Attention anyone who is not my crew. We just had this ship fixed. If you break something, I'll break you. If you take something, I'll take something from you. And most importantly, if you touch a single thing in the Galley, I'll feed you to our mystic engine as an act of mercy before our Chef gets his hands on you. You'll all be exiting the ship as soon as we find your friend, Drax'ikl. You can ride with him. I honestly don't care how you get home. If you're here in the morning, you're engine food. Starchief out."

Starchief then turns to Juan and puts a smile on his face. "Juan, you have interrupted what was going to be a very wonderful evening for me. There's a woman waiting to seal a deal and here I am attempting to get my ship back. If you ever take this ship out without my approval, those clubs of yours will be so far up... You know what? Just drive. Get us where we need to go so I can get back to my date."

Starchief watches the clock as Juan mans the search for his lost friend. Around 10:55, he says "I don't think your friend is coming back. Let's get this wrapped up." Shortly after, he is proven wrong as the ship reappears and runs the race. Starchief sits in his captain's chair, unamused by the situation Juan has gotten them in. When they finally get back to Battlefield, Starchief exits the DSM and gives Datephus the instruction "No one but me is to start the ship for the next 24 cycles. Understood?"

Starchief quickly cleans himself up and grabs a few...items from his quarters. He heads back to the site of the Atorian dinner party to meet up with the Commandant. "Ready to live this night as if it were our last?" He takes her hand and lets her lead him where she dares.

"Are...you asleep?" Starchief asks Commandant Torrigan 3 1/2 hours later. "Hmm... was hoping for another bout. Worthy opponent for a bedfight. 4.75 in the morning? Guess I'll power down now." Starchief lays his head down on the softest pillow he's ever felt next to a woman he hardly knows and gets some rest.

At about 10 AM, Starchief does the walk of shame to the DSM. Upon getting there, he sees Icky. With his sunglasses still on, he says "I'd like to inquire about breaking a fast."
Chef Icky wrote:"Oi, ya 'eard da fun we got inta last night? How'd yer side o' da job go?"

"I definitely need to restock some...things. We should check in with Quan Tran and get that test going. But first, let's get some toast going. I am starving!"
Starchief
Andra "Starchief" Sekona
the Shield of Seeron

MDC: 439/439|Costume: 20/20

Saving Throw Bonuses:
Vs. Insanity: +9|Vs. Magic: +10|Vs. Possession: +7|Vs. Psionic: +7
Vs. Poison: +7|Vs. Mind Control: +6|Vs. Disease: +6|Vs. Illusion: +5
Vs. Horror Factor: +8|Vs. Coma/Death: +51%|Perception: +3


Image

Ledger
User avatar
Starchief
Group Leader
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Phase World PC (Adventurers)

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Metri » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:16 am

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 5 | 39%
JIC: 1d20 = 11| 1d100 = 11%
-----------------------------------
Though he makes numerous shows of gratitude during the evening meal, Metri quickly recognizes that his contribution to the discussion would be fairly moot. Identifying the matriarchical societal structure of the Atorians, his status as a member of the opposite gender, diminishes him. Not to mention his further relegation based on his stature and outward appearance. He quietly eats in small bites, allowing Starchief and Mara to engage in conversation.

But that is not to say the Yhabbayar is inactive during the meal. But rather that he maintains himself in a low-key manner during his quiet investigations.

In his silence, Metri directs his sensitivities to those gathered at the dining table.
  • Sense Life (Commandant Torrigan, VED Decker, then as secondary priority, Torrigan's retinue)
  • Sense Supernatural Evil. 1d100 = 94 | 93%
  • See Aura (-6 ISP). Examine: Commandant Torrigan, VED Decker, then as secondary priority, Torrigan's retinue
    • Estimate the general level of experience.
    • Presence of magic
    • Presence of psychic abilities
    • High or low base PPE
    • Presence of a Possessing entity
    • Presence of an unusual human aberration and/or indicates a serious illness, insanity, or that the individual is not-human, could be mutant or supernatural, but does not specify which.

Should he discover anything out of the ordinary, Metri will keep it to himself. Given the nature of Naruni weaponry, a "Destroyer of Life" aura on VED Decker would be disappointing, but not wholly unexpected.

However, if he senses supernatural evil, the Yhabbayar will be on heightened alert. In response, during a moment deemed socially acceptable amidst fine dining (like during a palate-cleansing intermission), he will set his utensils down and dedicate 15 seconds to settle into his bubble-meditation for the sake of psychic omni-sight. His body's natural rise is likely inhibited by the heavy table.

Psychic Omni-sight
  • Pinpoint electronic "bugs", concealed or obscured items. 1d100 = 6 | 80%.
  • Locate secret compartments and trap doors. 1d100 = 58 | 69%.
  • See infrared and UV spectrums of light.
  • See heat signatures, follow recent footprints or vapor trails.
  • Hyper-sensitive to movement.

If Metri is unable to identify the source of the supernatural evil he senses, the Yhabbayar will grow internally concerned. For the remainder of the night, he will sporadically reach out to try to sense the supernatural evil, using his senses to "ping" in hopes that when the feeling fades, he'll be able to deduce more information about its source.

========
Later, Metri will grant cosmic armor to Starchief, Mara and himself to pursue the DSM. And when the issue with the pirates is resolved, the Yhabbayar will politely excuse himself, retreating to his personal space to reflect on the evening. He will settle down into meditation and ponder the repurcussions of what his psychic investigation revealed. Incidentally, he doesn't touch a drop of alcohol.

((OOCly - I think VED Decker should be fairly adept at hiding his true nature.))

But the Yhabbayar will absolutely go to 'bed' early, feeling the need to replenish his magical and mental reserves, and spending the evening in meditation.
User avatar
Metri
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:52 am
Location: Phase World PC (Adventurers)

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Dark Lord » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:54 pm

Feeling decidedly un-celebratory, Kaedras returns to the planet’s surface. A couple hours later he is joined by Chef Icky, and the two of you commiserate over the still-missing Drax. With the bar mostly empty, there is little to do but scrounge up some food, and some beer (both very much not up to Icky’s usual standards), and hope against hope that Juan will have better luck. In orbit, Juan is forced to contend with an increasingly annoyed Starchief, and an increasingly restless group of pirates. Meanwhile Kar sits on the bridge, glowers, and frequently reminds the godling that he told him so. Juan searches, and searches, and searches some more. Hours pass before Drax finally returns, in a complete lack of pomp and ceremony.

Metri passes the search much like he has passed the evening thus far- in silence and in thought. He had been so certain that this Decker fellow would prove to be more nefarious than he was, but while he does reek of death more strongly than all the other guests at dinner, he gave off no sense of supernatural evil. His aura does reveal some psychic abilities, but otherwise appears nondescript. Of course, many monsters- human and otherwise- are capable of disguising themselves psionically and physically.

Feeling none too pleased with the state of his ship, Starchief addresses his ‘guests,’ and actually succeeds in intimidating the pirates off of the upper deck. Eventually, they all stumble their way back to the cargo bay- any reckoning over stolen equipment will have to wait until an inventory can be safely conducted the next day, by which time the supplies are likely gone forever. Still, the Seeronian’s take-charge attitude and hard-nosed demeanor do keep the pirates from going anywhere else they aren’t supposed to. Starchief gives Juan a good tongue-lashing, then issues new orders to Datephus.
Starchief wrote:"No one but me is to start the ship for the next 24 cycles. Understood?"
”ACKNOWLEDGED, CAPTAIN DESIGNATE: STARCHIEF. SECURITY LOCKDOWN WILL BE ENGAGED UPON RETURN TO THE PLANET’S SURFACE.”

After you get back to the surface, and Drax jovially confirms that all is well, the group largely goes its separate ways. For several of you, that is plenty of excitement- Kar and Metri both excuse themselves and quietly slip away from the nascent party. Starchief also excuses himself and makes for his quarters- but it will be quite some time before the good captain gets his rest. Juan, meanwhile, goes with the flow and runs into Kaedras and Icky at the bar. The joyful reunion results in a few drinks, more than a little shouting, and a lot of good will earned when the three of you collectively refuse to collect your winnings. Drax is hardly one to turn down free credits, so he doesn’t even make a show of asking you to reconsider- but he does agree readily to Juan’s proposal that the pirates cover their beer tabs instead. But, when Icky offers to pay for the damage to his space fighter, the pirate leader waves him off. ”We got nothing to do on this rock but get drunk and fix spaceships. Lord knows there’s no shortage of spare parts. Spend yer credits on flying lessons, ya noob.” Kaedras takes this opportunity to excuse himself, return to the ship, and get to bed- a late night, but nothing ridiculous.

Icky and Juan on the other hand, well, they each have deeply spiritual and religious reasons to go along and party hearty. And so they do. Mara’s curiosity gets the better of her, and she joins in. The next several hours are a blur of poor decisions, peer pressure, and yelling. Ironically, Starchief’s evening could ultimately be described the same way. The Atorian commandant is in excellent physical condition, and is quite vigorous when it comes to getting what she wants. Making full use of his implants, the Seeronian super-soldier does indeed give Torrigan a night to remember, and in-between bouts they fitfully drift off into sleep. Despite the circumstances, Starchief at least puts on the façade of having a good time. For those of you out celebrating, the evening has a long, tortured end in the wee hours of the morning.

The morning dawns early, an unremarkable event that nonetheless receives a wide range of responses. Kar, Metri, and Kaedras awaken relatively early, before 8AM, and have a couple of hours of down-time in which to inspect the ship, determine which areas the pirates plundered, and wonder where half the crew is. Maybe even have a light breakfast, though that carries its own risks. These risks are exemplified an hour later, when the party goers manage to drag their carcasses in. Meanwhile, Starchief sleeps late in the Commandant’s quarters, and awakens in the nude to a bemused Torrigan who has nearly finished suiting up. In an even but equally bemused tone, she says ”You like to sleep late- not that you didn’t earn it, I suppose.” She gives him a last, lingering kiss and says ”I have to get to a staff meeting. You can show yourself out- good luck with your test.” Then she is gone.

Juan, Icky, and Mara awaken in the bar, or partway back to the ship from it, feeling utterly dreadful. You are hungover- maybe even still intoxicated, and quite sleep deprived and it is no fun. Eventually, the sun wakes you up, adding a pain in your eyes to the stabbing in your brain (and possibly your liver). You manage to drag your sorry butts back to the Dime Store Magic, just in time for Icky to cast any “don’t even think about it” looks at anyone looking to violate the sanctity of his galley. An hour after your return, Starchief completes his walk of shame. The captain looks rumpled and tired, but in reasonably good spirits. With a rumbling stomach to remind him, no doubt Starchief’s metabolism will welcome any attempts at breakfast.

Around 11, Quan and his retinue drive up to the ship and get out. Once again casting a nostalgic eye about the place, Quan says nonchalantly ”Well, it seems like you guys have made some friends. Torrigan and Drax’ikl both are on board with our test. We can head down there whenever you’re ready, but I’d suggest you be ready for the worst.” He squints and looks at some of you harder, ”Then again, it looks like the worst has already paid some of you a visit. What the hell happened last night?”

What are you doing?

The Morning After
The following penalties last until they are cured through rest or other means.
    1) Well rested: You got a good night’ sleep, no penalties (Kar/Metri/Kaedras). Kaedras, recover ISP for eight hours’ sleep (new total 66?).
    2) Sleepy: Tired and a little cranky- today is not going to be a good day, -5% to all skills and -1 to all combat rolls (Starchief).
    3) Death: Never again, -10% to all skills, -3 on all combat rolls, -1 APM (Juan, Icky, Mara).
Why kill a PC when you can torture their player?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Dark Lord
Dimension Master
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 am
Location: DIMENSION MASTER: PHASE WORLD

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kaedras Starfall » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:35 am

Perception 45% 1d100 = 48


JIC: 1d20 = 15
1d100 = 43


Kaedras awakes as he typically does - one moment restfully sleeping, the next, eyes open, hop out of bed - fully rested. Not yet knowing what the day has in store, Kaedras suits up in his armor, as Aldón watches him curiously.

"Good boy, Aldón. Would you like to come with me today?"

Aldón gets to his feet, and begins following Kaedras, as he takes a walk around the decks of the Dime Store Magic. Where possible, he will stop to clean up debris, shaking his head quietly. Juan... what did you do this time? As the others come drifting back from their night(s) of revelry, Kaedras looks at the obviously drunk members with a small measure of pity. He says nothing.

Starchief, however, gets a slight knowing smile and a pat on the back.




When Quan arrives and tells the Adventurers they now have permission to delve the pyramid, Kaedras asks "Will you be joining us, captain Quan? You are still in possession of the Fire Relic, are you not? Has there been much change to the interior of the pyramid? When you entered the first time there was a stair and catwalk system that descended to the floor, and a device which opened a portal - which required phase powers, I believe, to activate. Sir Oradro activated it, I believe, but he is no longer with us."

Whatever the answer, Kaedras re-enters the DSM to retrieve the remainder of his adventuring gear - his vaunted bow and two of his quivers, as well as his new sidearm. Together with Aldón he descends the ramp, ready to deploy to the site he has read about but never seen.

Let us test the power of this water relic...

Drawing Starchief aside as they descend, he notes. "Master Starchief, I should point out that after Captain Quan successfully used the fire relic in this facility, it detached from him and was unusable until he was able to recharge it's psychic energy. If the enemy know this... I would expect difficulty immediately after we use the water relic, as they may seize the opportunity to try to take it."

As they approach, he fastens his helmet onto his head.
Kaedras Starfall
I.S.P.: 114/178
M.D.C.: 37/37

Psionic Crystal Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Arms: 15 each
Legs: 22 each
Main Body: 35
Psionic Force Field: 70/70 (Can be used 4 times per 24 hour period without I.S.P. cost to user)
User avatar
Kaedras Starfall
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Kar Fallax » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:33 am

Perception: 1d100 = 76 vs 24%
JIC: 1d20 = 12 and 1d100 = 42

Kar wake in the morning refreshed and ready for the day. He looks around the ship for the others but only find Kaedras and Metri. "So it seems there are at least two wise members to this crew," he grumbles out quickly as a morning greeting. "Have the others not made it back? Or are they just sleeping" He doesn't wait for the answer and walks away.

Kar goes about his morning training routine waiting for them to return, Even the captain?, he questions in between exercises.

When the team walks in he shakes his head with disappointment. Loudly he asks, "The early festivities where not enough? And the Captain condones this behavior?" Kar will walk away, eyes tight and mouth scrunched, "This is the great Great Galactic Adventurers?"[/b]

When Quan arrives Kar stand toward the back of the group listening intently. [i]Well, at least we are able to move forward. Success is not the only tell or correct measures. This group is unorthodox. This can not translate well during battles. No control. No discipline. They clearly have no respect for the Captain.
At the though Kar harrumphs quietly.

Dark Lord wrote:”Then again, it looks like the worst has already paid some of you a visit. What the hell happened last night?”


The more appropriate question would be, what didn't happen? That may at least take less time to tell. Kar does not interject in the conversation but is as curious as the others to understand how the Gem works. Kar prepares himself and follows the team.
User avatar
Kar Fallax
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 am

Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

Postby Metri » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:38 pm

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 77 | 39%
JIC: 1d20 = 8| 1d100 = 8%
-----------------------------------
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • Radiate their Nature. Psychics: 100ft. Non-psychics: 12 ft.
  • Sense Supernatural Evil and Magical Energy (3rd eye). 800ft (no-magic). 1800ft (if magic used).
    • Base (detect & ID creature): 1d100 = 53 | 84%.
    • Track by psychic scent: 1d100 = 68 | 90%.
  • Sense Supernatural Evil (mystic). 450ft. 1d100 = 77 | 94%.
  • Sense Life. 300ft.
Status
PPE: 159/159
ISP: 260/260
Psionic Crystal Armor MDC: 35/35 (Psi-FF(4/4): 70/70)
MDC: 72/72
MTB1_PPE: 180/180
MTB2_PPE: 180/180
MTB3_PPE: 180/180
Saving Throw Bonuses
+1 to all Saving Throws (via rune weapon Skorl)
Coma/Death: +4%
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +1
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +1
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1 (+2 Crystal Armor FF)
+7 vs Possession
+2 vs Despair
+2 vs Horror Factor
+2 vs Illusions
+1 vs Poison and Disease
Activated Psionics/Magic

    I wonder if it dreams... Metri thinks to himself as his newly opened morning eyes fall upon his robotic assistant. The blinking light and closed eyelids indicating completion of a recharge cycle, but not yet voice activated. It's a contraption! Skorl remarks, his mental voice dripping in condescension. For some reason, the interruption is unexpected and the Yhabbayar flinches at the intrusion. It takes him but a moment to settle himself once more.

    True, it is a machine. But how much intelligence before a machine becomes a being worthy of sentience? This is a topic well discussed by philosophers over the ages. Metri's mental voice remains calm and warm.

    It's just a fancy library that reads to you... Skorl counters quickly.

    Does that make you 'just a hammer that smashes things'? No, it does not. Such reductive description does no justice to the complexity of you and the wonders that your existence brings. I choose to seek value in all manner of life. And even though Diyhu is machine... I sense a curious spark that I intend to nuture. Similarly, I hope my partnership with you helps you be the best version of yourself you can be. Smooth as silk, Metri's inner dialogue manages to drive Skorl to contemplative silence. The Yhabbayar does not push the matter, simply smiling empathetically as he dismounts from his bed.

    He stretches, working out the minor knots in his muscles, then decides to get himself a snack. Metri leaves his quarters and pads down the hall to the galley, grabs a protein bar from the communal area not part of the "Icky-only" restricted zone.

    The Yhabbayar stumbles across one of the other early risers, Kar, on his way back. Somewhat taken aback, Metri is unable to speak, his mouth fully occupied with the protein bar. Instead, he gives the Guardsman a tridactyl wave of greeting, letting the wrapper crinkle in the recycled air.

    Kar wrote:"Have the others not made it back? Or are they just sleeping"

    Metri finishes chewing and swallowing before speaking to the now departing Thropo, "Visibly absent from their quarters. Found an evening of wanton experience, they have, hmm?". Metri smiles at the energy (and recklessness) of youth before padding back to his room, the snack doing a perfectly adequate job breaking his fast.

    Upon returning to his room, Metri will don his crystal armor, grab his walking stave and head to the cockpit where he will monitor the exterior cameras for when his crewmates return. Not one to judge how disheveled they are, Metri will simply help them into the DSM and toward their quarters if they wish it. The Yhabbayar will repeat this process as often as necessary, asking them lightly for tidbits of what transgressed the evening before if they seem willing (or able) to share.

    Later in the morning, when he spots Quan and his retinue's arrival, Metri will relay the information over comms and go out to welcome the Uteni. "Welcome. Please." Metri gestures graciously escorting him inside.

    Quan's news is received by Metri with a mixture of excitement and concern. We will indeed need to be ready if we are to test the water relic today.

    Approaching Kaedras, Metri will try to offer whatever assistance he can, "A momentus and perilous day. Prepared you are? Further assistance, can I provide, hmm?" If a request is made, Metri will try to lend a hand. If he is given the all-clear, the Yhabbayar will go tend to his own preparations, making sure that he is equipped for the unexpected... kitted out for combat and exploration.
    User avatar
    Metri
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 271
    Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:52 am
    Location: Phase World PC (Adventurers)

    Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

    Postby Starchief » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:00 pm

    Perception: 1d100 = 29/57%
    JIC: 1d20 = 19/1d100 = 41

    Conditions
    2) Sleepy: Tired and a little cranky- today is not going to be a good day, -5% to all skills and -1 to all combat rolls (Starchief).


    Dark Lord wrote:Meanwhile, Starchief sleeps late in the Commandant’s quarters, and awakens in the nude to a bemused Torrigan who has nearly finished suiting up. In an even but equally bemused tone, she says ”You like to sleep late- not that you didn’t earn it, I suppose.” She gives him a last, lingering kiss and says ”I have to get to a staff meeting. You can show yourself out- good luck with your test.” Then she is gone.

    Slowly turning himself over in the bed, Starchief opens his eyes to Torrigan's donning of clothing that reveals nothing. But he knows what lie under her garments and what kind of trouble she is. He kisses her back and then plops back into bed as she leaves. "Holy d'rast that woman. Am I... is this what being tired feels like? Ugh."

    As he makes his way in, he sees Kaedras and gets a nod from him. Starchief just says "She said yes. To the test." He then waits for Icky to make some food and will eat whatever is put in front of him. "Lots of caff please."

    Dark Lord wrote:”Well, it seems like you guys have made some friends. Torrigan and Drax’ikl both are on board with our test. We can head down there whenever you’re ready, but I’d suggest you be ready for the worst.” He squints and looks at some of you harder, ”Then again, it looks like the worst has already paid some of you a visit. What the hell happened last night?”

    "Dinner with Torrigan went on... longer than expected. But by the end I was able to...convince her to... *yawwwwnnnn*... to see our side of things."

    Kaedras Starfall wrote:"Master Starchief, I should point out that after Captain Quan successfully used the fire relic in this facility, it detached from him and was unusable until he was able to recharge it's psychic energy. If the enemy know this... I would expect difficulty immediately after we use the water relic, as they may seize the opportunity to try to take it."

    "Kaedras... I don't know if we have any potential enemies planetside. You spaceraced with pirates and I slept with a military leader. I think it's safe to say that everyone here likes us. But, bring your bow just in case."

    Starchief himself gets kitted out in his NE BA-55 in Red and Blue. He brings Champion along with. As soon as he picks up Champion, he thinks Not today, please. I'm too tired for this.
    I wasn't going to say a thing, Starman.
    Starchief.
    Oh? After last night, I thought it was Starwhore? You just sleeping your way to galactic justice now?
    ...Yeah. That's what I'm doing.
    Well at least you admit it. You should be ashamed of yourself. You know I can sense you four miles away, right? Some of the things you did... Where did you even learn that?!
    Starchief
    Andra "Starchief" Sekona
    the Shield of Seeron

    MDC: 439/439|Costume: 20/20

    Saving Throw Bonuses:
    Vs. Insanity: +9|Vs. Magic: +10|Vs. Possession: +7|Vs. Psionic: +7
    Vs. Poison: +7|Vs. Mind Control: +6|Vs. Disease: +6|Vs. Illusion: +5
    Vs. Horror Factor: +8|Vs. Coma/Death: +51%|Perception: +3


    Image

    Ledger
    User avatar
    Starchief
    Group Leader
     
    Posts: 478
    Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 am
    Location: Phase World PC (Adventurers)

    Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

    Postby Juan Echo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:41 pm

    Perception (27%): 1d100 = 34
    JiC: 1d20 = 1/1d100 = 41

    We should give credit to the priests that can summon the gods through the power of faith, the greatest of which can call on the divine members of many pantheons. By those standards, Icky's attempt to rouse the Wandering God from his drunken stupor are admirable; but this is a task that would shake the faith even the most devoted priest to his/her core. The priest of Dionysus leaves the bar without a god.

    Juan Echo wake up just before 6 in the middle of a platoon of passed-out pirates: a Seljuk draped over his legs, a Struthios serving as his pillow, and a Wulfen gnawing at its arm trapped under Juan's shoulder. He rolls out of the pile and lumbers back to the ship. He tries to find forage a breakfast along the way, but to no avail. Before 7 he is back in his quarters passed out. If no one saw him get in, no one will see him until he awakens a little after 10 in the morning. He then joins the others in the galley and matches Starchief mug for mug of coffee.

    Urqos Starchief wrote:""Dinner with Torrigan went on... longer than expected. But by the end I was able to...convince her to... *yawwwwnnnn*... to see our side of things.""

    He gives Starchief a knowing wink. "I apologize for the detour last night, but losing the head of the pirate faction in a ley line storm seemed like a bad start to the mission. Though, it looks like you managed to find a midnight cage fight to enjoy."

    He then asks Icky for three fresh eggs. He adds, "I made sure the pirates didn't ransack your pantry. That was the one promise I could get from them." He then cracks the eggs into an empty glass, adding the customary hot sauce, vinegar and salt, and then knocking back the contents of the glass in a single gulp. He then closes his eyes, finds his center, and lets his hangover cure do its work.

    Urqos Kar wrote:"The early festivities where not enough? And the Captain condones this behavior?"

    Juan opens his eyes. "It is not for Urqos to condone the behavior of a God. We live our lives on a larger scale. Do you want your Patron of Travelers to silently shuffle across the main FTL corridors of the Three Galaxies or do you want someone that intimately knows the lesser known corners of the Megaverse? If you worship Dionysus, do you want your prayers led by priest that enjoys the occasional spritzer or chugs rocket fuel? We're not soldiers, we're heroes; and the carousing is a reminder of what we're fighting for, Three Galaxies of endless parties." He closes his eyes again and resumes his meditation. He wants to recover as much as possible before the Torchbearer returns.

    Urqos Quan wrote:"Well, it seems like you guys have made some friends. Torrigan and Drax’ikl both are on board with our test. We can head down there whenever you’re ready, but I’d suggest you be ready for the worst. Then again, it looks like the worst has already paid some of you a visit. What the hell happened last night?"

    With a laugh, Juan replies, "Like you said, we made friends with Urqos Drax'ikl. You know how it goes with space pirates, you have a few drinks, you gamble on low-orbit races, lose someone in a ley line, have some more drinks, et cetera et cetera."

    Urqos Kaedras wrote:"Will you be joining us, captain Quan? You are still in possession of the Fire Relic, are you not? Has there been much change to the interior of the pyramid? When you entered the first time there was a stair and catwalk system that descended to the floor, and a device which opened a portal - which required phase powers, I believe, to activate. Sir Oradro activated it, I believe, but he is no longer with us."

    "We would appreciate your company, Urqos Quan. You know the facility and the relics better than anyone else. What should we expect? Would it be inappropriate to go fully armed? With our track record, it's never a bad idea to be prepared for war." Especially when you are on the Battlefield Planet

    Unless Quan says otherwise, Juan then goes to his room and puts on one of his EBA's and grabs the grenade launcher. He will then accompany the rest of the Adventurers, staying near the rear. He watches as Kaedras and Quan begin to test the water relic, wondering what could go wrong next.
    Status: Juan Echo
    M.D.C.: 300/300
    P.P.E.: 50/50
    I.S.P.: 76/76

    May the rest of the Yayamama Pantheon have mercy on our SOULS!
    User avatar
    Juan Echo
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 175
    Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

    Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

    Postby Chef Icky » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:23 pm

    Perception: 1d100 = 56/55%
    JIC: 1d20 = 3/1d100 = 88

    Conditions:
    - Morning After: -10% to all skills, -3 on all combat rolls, -1 APM
    - PPE: 104/105

    Icky grudgingly wakes up and finds himself feeling... different. And not just the hangover, either -- while they weren't nearly as common for Warlock Marines as for other beings, they weren't completely immune. And didn't Big D 'tweak' my tolerances when I offered up that keg of Dragonfire Ale? "Oi, I guess dis is what he meant..." he grumbles as he sits up in bed. Rather than reaching for the light switch, however, words flash through his hung over brain and launch out of his mouth before he even realizes it. "לאַנטערן ליכט!"

    Icky's eye go wide as a small sphere of light materializes in the air about 10 feet away. "Fetal's gizz... what in da Hades Twelve is goin' on 'ere?" As over the next few minutes he notices that the sphere seems to respond to his wishes (dimming, brightening, and moving around) that a lightbulb of a completely different nature goes off in his head. Of course -- I'm a priest now, right? Big D made it official. Priests can cast spells, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I can too. He shrugs as he strips down and takes a quick shower before dressing in some clean clothes and heading to the galley. I'm sure I'll think of a lot of other stuff I can do as I go along, but first things first: coffee. And plenty of it.

    He sets a big pot of coffee to brew while he starts fixing some breakfast -- lurduuk eggs, Duneracer sausage, bristleback bacon, gorapple jelly, fresh fruit and 37-grain toast -- as others filter into the galley.

    Juan Echo wrote:He then asks Icky for three fresh eggs. He adds, "I made sure the pirates didn't ransack your pantry. That was the one promise I could get from them." He then cracks the eggs into an empty glass, adding the customary hot sauce, vinegar and salt, and then knocking back the contents of the glass in a single gulp. He then closes his eyes, finds his center, and lets his hangover cure do its work.


    "Oi, dat's probably da smartest thing ya've done in da whole time I've known ya, Red..." Icky grunts as he hands over the eggs. "If I had ta completely re-stock me galley 'cause o' another batch o' unwelcome guests ya brought on board, I swear ta D I woulda shoved a Power Halberd up yer arse an' jiggled da handle like a fresher unit dat won't shut off..."

    Kar Fallax wrote:Loudly he asks, "The early festivities where not enough? And the Captain condones this behavior?"


    Juan Echo wrote:Juan opens his eyes. "It is not for Urqos to condone the behavior of a God. We live our lives on a larger scale. Do you want your Patron of Travelers to silently shuffle across the main FTL corridors of the Three Galaxies or do you want someone that intimately knows the lesser known corners of the Megaverse? If you worship Dionysus, do you want your prayers led by priest that enjoys the occasional spritzer or chugs rocket fuel? We're not soldiers, we're heroes; and the carousing is a reminder of what we're fighting for, Three Galaxies of endless parties." He closes his eyes again and resumes his meditation. He wants to recover as much as possible before the Torchbearer returns.


    Oh geez, Ironcob's on a tear... Icky holds up a hand to Juan. "Now jus' simmer down, Red. Kid's still fresh outta da Guard an' I'm sure da lifestyle o' mercs an' adventurers is gorram frustratin' ta someone dat's used to da discipline-fest dat da Imperials drill into 'em. Gettin' over dat kinda culture shock's gonna take some time." He turns to Kar. "We're rough 'round da edges, sure. But it's kind o' a contractual obligation on me part at least. When da feculence hits da turbine, though, make no mistake -- we're all business."

    Starchief wrote:As he makes his way in, he sees Kaedras and gets a nod from him. Starchief just says "She said yes. To the test." He then waits for Icky to make some food and will eat whatever is put in front of him. "Lots of caff please."


    Icky raises an eyebrow as he hands Starchief an extra-large mug. That's our Meatball. "Sounds like she said 'yes' ta more dan jus' da test, chum..." he adds with a wink. "Way ta take one fer da team."

    Juan Echo wrote:
    Urqos Quan wrote:"Well, it seems like you guys have made some friends. Torrigan and Drax’ikl both are on board with our test. We can head down there whenever you’re ready, but I’d suggest you be ready for the worst. Then again, it looks like the worst has already paid some of you a visit. What the hell happened last night?"

    With a laugh, Juan replies, "Like you said, we made friends with Urqos Drax'ikl. You know how it goes with space pirates, you have a few drinks, you gamble on low-orbit races, lose someone in a ley line, have some more drinks, et cetera et cetera."


    Icky nods in between sips of coffee. "What Big Red said. Since Drax's on board, I'm callin' dis mornin' after a small price ta pay." He takes another slurp. "Totally worth it."

    Once coffee and breakfast has been taken care of and the galley properly cleaned, Icky takes note of his crewmates gearing up in their EBAs and nods to himself. "Well, Big D did say I'd need it where we were goin'." He heads down to the cargo bay where his power armor is waiting. "Alright, Sarge, we gotta job ta do. Let's get dis show on da road."

    ((OOC: he'll load up with the armor's standard weapons and his swords. He'll strap the phase beamer on his side as well.))
    Food is da universal language, an' me galley is da universal translator. Don't ya mess wit' either one while I'm 'round. Or even when I ain't 'round.

    Please do not PM this account -- send your PMs to AGM account The Bos instead. Thanks!

    ------------------------------

    - Max Bodily MDC: 187 ... Max ISP: 48 ... Max PPE: 12
    - Armor Max MDC: 120 ... Force Field Max MDC: 110
    - Natural Abilities: HF 11 ... 100’ nightvision (can see in total darkness) ... Fire/cold does 1/2 damage ... Fatigues at half rate of normal humans ... Lift 3,600 lbs & carry 1,800 lbs ... Jump 21.6’ across/10.8’ high standing; 54’ across/27’ high with running start
    - Combat Notes: 8 APM ... +3 initiative; +11 strike; +13 parry; +14 dodge; +4 roll, disarm; +8 pull; +21 PS bonus ... Critical Strike on an unmodified 18-20 ... Boxing: auto KO on nat 20 for 1d6 melees ... Paired Weapons ... Body flip/throw
    User avatar
    Chef Icky
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 347
    Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm
    Location: Phase World: Galactic Adventurers

    Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

    Postby Mara » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:55 pm

    Perception: 1d100 = 8 / 65% (95% when dealing with vampires or undead)
    JiC: 1d20 = 18 1d100 = 50

    Conditions:

    Mara rolls out of bed the worse for wear. She checks her belongings, Good, nothing missing, so I won't have to slice off Juan's privates for giving access to the ship to a bunch of damn thieves. I guess it is good to know you can only trust certain people so far. Wannbe gods are the worst! Even the thoughts hurt her head. She heads to the galley to get some much needed protein. "Hey Chef, did they mess with your galley?? Looks like Juan got lucky!" She will scarf down some eggs, "Damn Chef where were you when I was in the navy?"

    Kar Fallax wrote:Loudly he asks, "The early festivities where not enough? And the Captain condones this behavior?"


    She just nods to Kar's statement.

    Juan Echo wrote:Juan opens his eyes. "It is not for Urqos to condone the behavior of a God. We live our lives on a larger scale. Do you want your Patron of Travelers to silently shuffle across the main FTL corridors of the Three Galaxies or do you want someone that intimately knows the lesser known corners of the Megaverse? If you worship Dionysus, do you want your prayers led by priest that enjoys the occasional spritzer or chugs rocket fuel? We're not soldiers, we're heroes; and the carousing is a reminder of what we're fighting for, Three Galaxies of endless parties." He closes his eyes again and resumes his meditation. He wants to recover as much as possible before the Torchbearer returns.

    Chef Icky wrote:Oh geez, Ironcob's on a tear... Icky holds up a hand to Juan. "Now jus' simmer down, Red. Kid's still fresh outta da Guard an' I'm sure da lifestyle o' mercs an' adventurers is gorram frustratin' ta someone dat's used to da discipline-fest dat da Imperials drill into 'em. Gettin' over dat kinda culture shock's gonna take some time." He turns to Kar. "We're rough 'round da edges, sure. But it's kind o' a contractual obligation on me part at least. When da feculence hits da turbine, though, make no mistake -- we're all business."


    Mara's eyes roll to the back of her head as she hears Juan's load of crap. Her head is hurting and she is in no mood for his 'I'm a god, so I do want bullshit.' She responds roughly, "It is for the 'Urqos' to condone your abysmal behavior when you work with a team. You let a bunch of killers and thieves into our base, our home and now things are missing. Surprise surprise . . . and now you sanctimonious bastard, you say you are above responding to the people you work with? What if they had hit Chef's galley, Starburst's room or mine, we'd be having a much different conversation right now. God, you are no god. Athena is a god, Apollo is a god, Odin is a god, Dionysus is a god, you are just a relatively tough immortal. Killed several of you when I served in the Navy. Petty little despots each one of them. Hell, they say Thraxus is a god too, you know why he is powerful? He is rich and cunning, that is why, nothing involving being a god. Gods . . ." she finishes with a little distaste in her voice. She would spit out some of her food at the thought of Juan thinking he is above any of us, but it is too damn delicious.

    When she is done eating and sees Starburst, she will say, "How are you doing Starburst." She emphasizes the burst part. "You feeling okay?" At his request She will suit up for any kind of danger. and follow the team out.
    Mara Archerean

    PPE: 288 / 288
    ISP: 85 / 85
    MDC: 381/381
    H.F.: 14
    Heart in Chains Tattoo: 0/450 MDC(inactive)

    Constant: Sixth Sense

    Soundtrack:
    ''Zombie'' by Damned Anthem
    Evanescence - Bring Me To Life (Ghost in the Machine Remix)
    Adele vs. Linkin Park - Set Fire To The End
    Tomorrow We Fight
    User avatar
    Mara
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 66
    Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 pm

    Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

    Postby Juan Echo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:39 am

    <Rolls carry>

    Priest Icky wrote:"Now jus' simmer down, Red. Kid's still fresh outta da Guard an' I'm sure da lifestyle o' mercs an' adventurers is gorram frustratin' ta someone dat's used to da discipline-fest dat da Imperials drill into 'em. Gettin' over dat kinda culture shock's gonna take some time." He turns to Kar. "We're rough 'round da edges, sure. But it's kind o' a contractual obligation on me part at least. When da feculence hits da turbine, though, make no mistake -- we're all business."

    Urqos Mara wrote:"It is for the 'Urqos' to condone your abysmal behavior when you work with a team. You let a bunch of killers and thieves into our base, our home and now things are missing. Surprise surprise . . . and now you sanctimonious bastard, you say you are above responding to the people you work with? What if they had hit Chef's galley, Starburst's room or mine, we'd be having a much different conversation right now. God, you are no god. Athena is a god, Apollo is a god, Odin is a god, Dionysus is a god, you are just a relatively tough immortal. Killed several of you when I served in the Navy. Petty little despots each one of them. Hell, they say Thraxus is a god too, you know why he is powerful? He is rich and cunning, that is why, nothing involving being a god. Gods . . ."


    Opening his eyes again, Juan cocks his head to one side, "You're right, Priest Icky." Turning to Kar, he continues, "You come from a place where the chain of command and discipline are paramount. I don't hold that against you; in fact it is admirable. But as the priest says, you're still adjusting; I look forward to you becoming a comfortable part of this team."

    He then casts a dark look at Mara, "I don't know what gives you the right to act so judgemental. You spent the night partying with those space pirates as much as anyone else, and I didn't say anything when you tried to undress that Lugress. Consider your own actions and place on the team before you speak."

    Getting up he says, "Then again, your kind have no understanding of the ways of Gods. Atlanteans like to praise Zeus, but have you met him? The only thing special about that asshole is that he has been far crueler to more gods and mortals than even the worst Goddess on the planet Mama. You do not have to acknowledge my pantheon; I am a God to those that pray to me for safe travels. But don't expect me to offer any help when you get lost."

    The Wanderer leaves the galley, muttering a long string of clicks. There is an old saying in the Yaya dialect on the folly of mortals, 'How fast the wings of a gallopas beat, but that no gallopas can fly like the batamzinga.'* It's one that Juan has taken to heart in over a thousand years of traveling. He cannot explain those experiences or the way it has shaped his worldview to an urqos. Their lives and comprehension are finite. All Juan can do is evangelize the glories of traveling the Mega-verse and experiencing everything it has to offer. As a result, the Cult of the Wanderer is one of the more obscure and eclectic religious groups in the Three Galaxies, best described as a scattered pack of hobos and weirdos who prayer for that existence was even weirder.**

    * Job 39:13
    ** Per Rate-A-Deity:
    KnollDittyBeaver wrote:8 out of 10
    When I first met Juan Echo I was beginning to put life together after years of addiction to various narcotic substances. After I accepted the Wanderer into my life I discovered my passion for ice carving. Now I am a successful artist that lives on a comet and delivers my works of art to paying costumers. One day one of my masterpieces will survive entering a planet's atmosphere!
    Status: Juan Echo
    M.D.C.: 300/300
    P.P.E.: 50/50
    I.S.P.: 76/76

    May the rest of the Yayamama Pantheon have mercy on our SOULS!
    User avatar
    Juan Echo
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron
     
    Posts: 175
    Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

    Re: [GA] Old Friends, New Enemies

    Postby Dark Lord » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:27 pm

    Your days start off on distinctly different trajectories depending on where you wake up. On board the ship Kaedras, Kar, and Metri all rise early and refreshed, and spend the morning conversing (mostly speculating as to the whereabouts of the rest of the crew) and cleaning up after another Juan-fueled mess. Metri waxes philosophical with his rune hammer about his robot. Conversely, those who awaken elsewhere have a rougher go of it- Starchief is merely tired, the most tired he’s been since he became Starchief, if he stops and thinks about it. However the Seeronian is shaped of stern stuff, and accepts the team’s congratulations and concern, and Champions high-minded moralizing, with a stiff upper lip. That Commandant Torrigan is one helluva woman. Juan, Icky, and Mara in contrast awaken in the bar feeling like death. Hauling themselves back to the ship and rapidly downing breakfast, and/or any hangover cures of choice, are not nearly enough to dispel the malaise. Icky in particular has a rough go of it- it has been a long, long time since he’s been drunk, let alone hungover, and the experience is only analogous to learning how to ride a bike insofar as Icky’s sense of balance is the same- not great to say the least.

    Juan offers his apologies to Starchief for the collateral damage, and as he explains the situation both Kar and Mara express their irritation (if not anger) at what the Godling has done. Both mortal teammates bristle at Juan’s divine arrogance, and the Godling retorts in his own, twistedly poetic way. Fueled by fatigue, hangovers, and pounding headaches tempers begin to fray, whereupon the newly-anointed Priest Icky steps in and plays peacemaker. Like it or not, the mission had to come first, and it has been accomplished- that might not have been the case if the team had lost Drax and not made every effort to locate him. Icky’s magnanimity may have something to do with the fact that the galley is spared, but regardless a truce is called and you all dig into breakfast. While you prep, Kaedras pulls Starchief aside and shares some of the knowledge he gleaned from Datephus’ archives- notably, that use of the relic in this… whatever it is will likely deplete the diadem, and that any enemies nearby will likely choose that opportunity to attack. In response Starchief is largely nonchalant, noting that the team made friends with both factions quite handily, but still orders everyone to prepare for full battle gear.

    Later, with heart pounding, Icky decides that this means it’s time to climb back into his Warlock armor. Deevil corruption and all. It… is not the most pleasant experience. Like riding with a wild animal, except the animal is somehow inside your skin but still trying to bite you. Somehow. It is uncomfortable, and definitely affects Icky’s ability to pilot the armor- both in terms of maneuvering and in terms of combat. Having the slick, evil, oily presence in the cockpit with him also proves distracting. Still, the added firepower is nice to have, and the Chef is forced to admit that part of him missed the old girl. Meanwhile, the rest of you finish your preparations and are mostly ready to go by the time Quan arrives. Several of you express interest in having the Uteni accompany you.

    Kaedras Starfall wrote:"Will you be joining us, captain Quan? You are still in possession of the Fire Relic, are you not? Has there been much change to the interior of the pyramid? When you entered the first time there was a stair and catwalk system that descended to the floor, and a device which opened a portal - which required phase powers, I believe, to activate. Sir Oradro activated it, I believe, but he is no longer with us."
    ”Wouldn’t miss it for the world. With any luck, it’ll be another super-awesome defensive mechanism. That way you can stay here on guard duty and I can get back to adventuring with my ship.” He winks at the elf, and between that and his jocular tone you’re reasonably sure he’s kidding. Probably.

    ”As for the interior, we still don’t have a clue as to how any of this stuff works- and as you say, I’m the closest thing we’ve got to an expert on this tech. Maybe techno-wizardry, but it never seems to register as magic. It’s funny- you ever hear the saying, ‘Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic?’ I’ve often found myself wondering if the reverse is true.” He pauses, momentarily losing his train of thought. ”Where was I? Oh, right. The structure. We’ve tried to leave the interior alone as much as possible, though we did add a straight ramp in there to get everyone to the bottom faster. The prometheans also provided us with some sort of gizmo- kinda looks like one of their dimensional gates- that opens the portal on demand. Couldn’t tell you how that works, either.”

    ”As for your gear- this is a military encampment, so walking around loaded for bear isn’t exactly unheard of, though admittedly people have been doing it less and less of late. Still, you shouldn’t draw more than a couple of stares, if that. We went in fully armed the first time too and there weren’t any problems, so it should be fine. Shall we?”

    Leaving the Dime Store Magic, you all begin walking towards the excavation site, arriving there around noon. It is… a giant hole in the ground. Very unceremonious, but then, even on the newly secured planet Battlefield the FWC rarely has the time or resources for ceremony. Function must of necessity come before form, and nowhere is this more apparent than the inside of the structure. While those of you who accessed the shared memories stored within Datephus can pick out points of reference, and the inside is the same buried room it was last time, now there is actual artificial lighting to be had. Someone made a passing attempt at sweeping up the dust and dirt and grime, too, such that it feels less like a tomb and more like a museum. A very thrifty museum.

    The ground floor of the first room is only about 20 feet below the entrance, itself a hole in the ceiling. A ramp solidly built out of some sort of metal has been laid down, which is good since there is no other way besides jumping. The room you are in is in a vaguely triangular shape. Three of the four walls (including the ceiling through which you came) are made of some sort of stone- massive blocks fit together so expertly that from any kind of distance the walls and ceiling appear to be unbroken rock. The fourth wall appears to be made of gleaming, silvery metal. There is a massive doorway that opens into another well-lit interior room, and all around the frame of said door there appear massive runes, each character a good six inches tall at least. Those of you who can read Trade One will realize that it is an archaic dialect of that language, though you can’t translate it.

    Quan nonchalantly leads you past the ancient artifact, and any quizzical looks or queries are met with a ”Pretty neat, right? The writing is vaguely related to Trade One, not that that allows anyone to read it, and some of the other stuff we found here last time practically screams ‘First Race.’ Not that that helped us figure out what any of it says or does.” After you pass through the doorway, the interior opens up a great deal further. This second room is pyramidal, but without any ley lines in the vicinity so presumably it is of the nonmagical variety. The catwalk Kaedras mentioned is still intact, winding its spiral down the inside of the pyramid’s walls, but a second ramp has been placed to facilitate travel from your present position down to the bottom in a straight line through the empty space making up the majority of the pyramid’s interior volume. The cheap lighting is again in evidence, and admittedly makes the whole place seem less spooky than it did in the logs.

    The ground floor is a little different. A simple, scaled down Promethian dimensional gate has been placed over the original entrance, which is no longer visible. While the archway is initially inactive, Quan again calmly leads you down the ramp- as if he passes archaeological marvels every day. Then again, maybe he does. Once at the bottom, the Uteni presses a panel on the side of the gate and it shimmers to life. Despite the absence of any visible power source (and a disturbing sense that not every piece of the device exists in this dimension), it powers on easily and quickly, and moments later Quan is leading you through a portal that doesn’t look terribly different from those in Gateland.

    You emerge from the gate in a featureless, all-white limbo. Initially, you panic and flail about, as the physical sensation is not dissimilar from falling. After a half a minute or so, you recover your equilibrium, but it remains a disconcerting experience. At one moment, you feel flat- almost two-dimensional. Then the next, as if you have been stretched into one, long centipede- your past and future selves all connected through this moment. There are other, stranger phenomena that even the most educated among you lacks the vocabulary to describe, but all fleeting and not leaving any lasting impression or ill effect. The deevil in Icky’s power armor twists and writhes, and he has to struggle a little to keep it under control, but the rest of you are overtaken with feelings of peace and tranquility. It is a jarring combination of “nice” and “hella weird.”

    As the… seconds? Minutes? Weeks? pass, you spot a point of blackness “below” you, and are able to use that to orient yourselves. It expands rapidly, as if you were falling towards it, and Quan says ”Place is pretty freaky, eh? Don’t worry- just ride it out and you’ll be fine.” Sure enough, before long you come to a stop, and you are able to orient yourselves in three-dimensional space once again. The feeling of disorientation is not gone, but lessened, and you gain enough of a sense of perspective to feel like you’re walking on a floor. Yes… something beneath your feet definitely feels solid. You can walk. The point of darkness has resolved itself into a flat, circular surface just underneath the “floor”, perhaps 20 feet in diameter if such measurements mean anything in limbo. The darkness is actually the familiar dotted background of interstellar space, and now that you’re close you can make out the model of a solar system set into the circle.

    Those of you paying attention to the navigation system at any point during your trip in will recognize the model as matching the Axis system. Encircling the miniature solar system is a band, less than a foot thick, made of an unknown material. Not metal, not stone, not plastic, but something that looks strangely in-between all three. It is gray, and featureless except for four depressions set at equidistant intervals along the band. The depressions are large and irregularly shaped- you couldn’t begin to describe what is supposed to fit in them, but whatever the four objects are they look nothing like one another.

    As the miniature solar system comes into focus, Kaedras feels an ice-cold stabbing in his head, and for about two seconds he’s in agony. Then, the diadem withdraws its tendrils from his head, shifts into some sort of liquid state, and reconfigures itself into a vaguely spherical shape that begins to glow blue. Quan’s fire relic does the same, save that it is a cubic shape that glows orange. With a sympathetic smile to Kaedras he says, ”Yeah, I wish these things were a little more user-friendly too. Anyway, you’re up kid. One of the indentations around the rim should fit that relic of yours perfectly, so slot it in and let’s see what happens.”

    Assuming Kaedras does what you came here to do, it doesn’t take the elf long to identify the appropriate slot, and with all appropriate pomp and ceremony he drops it in. From there, things proceed similarly to what Datephus remembers of Quan’s first trip there. Kaedras feels a mental presence, but only for a moment- then he blacks out briefly, only to regain consciousness before he has a chance to fall to the floor (for lack of a better term). Over the next couple of minutes, the water relic and the miniature solar system pulse with a blue glow- the pulses increasing in both frequency and intensity. Quan’s artifact likewise glows, and as the apparatus warms up, the fire relic is pulled from his hand and into another slot in the apparatus. The glowing blue pulses continue to intensify, and culminate in a brilliant blue glow that washes over you. An instant before it happens, Starchief and Mara think they spot some sort of ugly, reddish spot appear in the miniature solar system- right next to the fifth planet.

    Before you can do anything about that, however, the glow passes through each of you. And man, does it make you feel good- healthy, hale, energetic, the works. Like you’ve just slept for a week straight. Upon later reflection, things that your character would consider physical or mental defects have also been washed away. But by far the most visible transformation is Icky’s. With some popping and crackling, the corrupted Warlock Armor sheds its fur and hooves, and reforms itself into a standard suit of Warlock Armor, good as new. Needless to say, the transformation freaks Chef Icky out a little, but once it’s complete Icky realizes that his armor is no longer fighting him, nor offering any resistance in anyway. The demonic influence has been purged, albeit at the cost of some of its more flamboyant capabilities.

    The blue glow from the apparatus holds steady for several minutes, with the light substantially brighter than what Kaedras remembers from Quan’s experience- perhaps because there are two relics in the apparatus now? Regardless, those of you examining the miniature solar system can see that all of Axis V now glows blue as well (of the aforementioned red splotch, there is no sign). Shortly thereafter, the apparatus powers down. The light leaves both relics, and the miniature solar system and the chamber you are in begin to dissolve. Shortly thereafter, you are back in the pyramid, with two completely depleted relics on the ground in front of you. Immediately upon your rematerialization, those of you with sixth sense feel the familiar tingle of danger.

    Quan is the first to break the silence, ”Well, it didn’t seem like much of a defensive system- but I gotta say, I feel good. Well-rested, healthy, the works. I suppose that fits with the water motif. Just wish it hadn’t drained my relic too- the planet is vulnerable so long as we can’t power its defense. It’s only a 10-minute ride to the local ley line nexus, though, so we should be back up and running pretty soon. Whaddya say, Kaedras, care to join me?”

    Regardless of your exact response, Quan leads the way back out of the pyramid. As you pound your way up the ramp and into the antechamber, you realize that there’s a high-pitched noise- with a growing sense of dread, you realize that it’s an air raid siren. By the time you emerge from the excavation site, it’s pretty clear that all is not well. The high-pitched siren is punctuated by the sounds of weapons fire, and lots of it- from both the Atorian and the pirate sides of camp. Several pillars of smoke are already rising into the sky, likewise punctuated occasionally by figures so indistinct that all you can tell about them is that they are flying and glowing. But that’s not all.

    As you emerge, four of the Necrol organic drop pods you saw on Seeron land within the encampment, all with wet SPLATs. As you wait (or rush to react), several more descend through the sky on steep trajectories. Beside you, Quan gulps and curses. ”What the hell?!?!” A moment later- ”This is bad- no way an attack this soon is a coincidence. But deal with that later. I need to get to the nexus, and recharge the fire relic- there’s a hovercraft nearby. The super weapon saved us once, and it can do so again. Somebody also needs to stay here and keep the site secure from… whatever those are. Captain…” He turns to Starchief. ”I’ve been out of the game awhile, and you know your team, so what’re your orders?”

    At the same time, the team frequency receives a badly garbled transmission from Datephus. ”-PTAIN *****SIGNATE: STARCH**** INTRU**R ALE-“ It then cuts off.

    Begin Round 1!

    Feelin’ Good
    1) All fatigue and hangover penalties are nullified. You feel revitalized and fresh as a daisy, regardless of any extracurricular activities the night before.
    2) All MDC, PPE, ISP, and anything else that restores itself automatically over time is fully restored.
    3) If you have any insanities you want to cure, you may do so now.
    4) Icky’s corrupted power armor reverts to the standard Warlock armor model for all stats.


    Map also attached for reference.
    Attachments
    FWC Base Map.jpg
    Why kill a PC when you can torture their player?
    ImageImageImageImage
    User avatar
    Dark Lord
    Dimension Master
     
    Posts: 633
    Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 am
    Location: DIMENSION MASTER: PHASE WORLD

    Previous

    Return to Phase World: The Three Galaxies

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest