ALPHA: Born Again

In Century Station Operation Overlord has begun, villains beware!

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

ALPHA: Born Again

Postby Blackhaunt » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:20 pm

"Hey Art! Come help me get this fire ready. Y'know you're stronger than the rest of us. Split a log in one chop, ya can."

Theodore "Cousin Theo" Rogers had just come back from a long day of collecting cans, cleaning windshields and grabbing leftovers to put together for dinner. It was time to prepare for the nightly fire that gathered his encampment, ironically dubbed 'The Oasis'. Food was pooled, everyone got an equal share to eat and a chance to share their stories. Arthur Compton or Big Art as he was known throughout the camp was the best cook around. Also the strongest. Cousin Theo had come to depend upon him for support as the older man found life harder and harder on the streets.

"Arty! Where ya at boy?" Cousin Theo put his things down and began the brief walk to the shanty down the way where Big Art resided. Most others weren't back yet and things were quiet. But Big Art knew to be back before dinner needed to start. This was unlike him.

Cousin Theo reached Big Art's shanty and instantly knew something was wrong. The structure may have been made of ramshackle material but there was assuredly not a large gash in the wall like this. And was that... blood?
Let the GAMES begin.
ImageImageImage
Blackhaunt
Dimension Master

Re: ALPHA: Born Again

Postby Blackhaunt » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:21 pm

RETROPOLIS
Date: Monday, April 6th, 2043
Weather: Outside: Cloudy, raining, warm (60 degrees Fahrenheit)
Time: 9:00 am

The Alpha team of Omegas filters into the War Room. Lance Steele is standing at the head of the table. There is coffee in the pot and pastries/fruit on a tray. Once everyone is seated, he begins.

"Welcome Alpha. Let's get into it. John Mason's family checked up on him once per week. He was homeless but not without relations. His sister reported him missing from his tent in Brisby Flats on Wednesday. This report triggered a system flag, as he marked the fifteenth homeless person to go missing since Sunday, March 29th. We've got files on the rest of them as well. This is obviously a pattern that needs to be resolved quickly. Possible scenarios are a serial killer, a cult, or mass experimentation. Either way you slice it, it's bad for the city and for our homeless citizens. Speaking of 'slice', the only similarities between any of these disappearances is the use of a sharp edged object of some sort to open their tents. A knife, a sword, something." Lance pauses for a moment and refocuses his attention on Brute.

"The Director has chosen your group for this assignment as she thought it might have some...personal meaning to Mr. Jackson. I don't know if you still have any leads from your time on the street, but anything to get to the bottom of this would be helpful. Hit me with any questions you've got quickly. We've got to clear this room in the next hour for the Bravo briefing."

He slides each of you a folder with a list of names and basic data on the missing folks.

John Mason
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 175 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Misc: Substance abuse. Distinguishing Feature: Scar from under left eye to bottom of neck.

Rita Chamberlain
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 120 lbs
Eyes: Green
Hair: Blonde
Misc: Undiagnosed mental health issues.

Macy Greenwood
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 150 lbs
Eyes: Brown
Misc:

Arthur Compton
Weight: 210 lbs
Misc: Enhanced strength.

Anayah Reese
Height: 6'2"
Eyes: Grey
Misc:

Caroline Schultz
Height: 5'7"
Weight: Unknown
Hair: Red
Misc:

Autumn Pritchard
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 130 lbs
Hair: Brown
Misc:

Kenneth Jones
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 180 lbs
Misc:

Richard Glover
Height: 5'9"
Misc: Substance abuse issues.

MacGregor Gamble
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 185 lbs
Hair: Blonde
Misc:

Dean Cantrell
Weight: 145 lbs
Misc:

Elmer Klein
Height: 5'11"
Eyes: Unknown (never takes off red hued glasses)
Misc: Possible superhuman

Guy Anthony
Height: 6'
Weight: 190 lbs
Misc:

Joseph Sawyer
Eyes: Blue
Misc:

Douglas Montgomery
Height: 6'
Eyes: Amber
Hair: Red
Misc:

What are you doing?
Let the GAMES begin.
ImageImageImage
Blackhaunt
Dimension Master

Postby Maia » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:43 am

JIC: 1d20 = 2, 1d100 = 22
PER: 1d100 = 80 vs. 21%
Conditions
  • Crystal armor- +3 strike/parry/dodge, +4 to damage. Takes 1/3 damage from light and laser attacks.
[

Plants don’t get bored easily, so if Maia is left to her own devices she will simply stay in the garden until it is time to go. She is unfamiliar with the concept of ‘briefings’, and anyone attempting to explain it to her will be met with muted telepathic mutterings, to the effect of ”HUMANS. ALWAYS. COMPLICATE.” At the same time, however, as her roots settle in and drink in the place, she reflects on her experiences of the day. After her meeting with Haven, and Brute’s earlier assurances, she feels reasonably content with the grounds. But she recognizes that she still has much to learn about the surrounding environment, and she won’t get anything done just sitting there. Though she is slow to rouse when the time comes (particularly if the briefing is inside), she will remain silent as she disentangles from the local flora and disperses until she is close enough to the briefing room that she can observe what transpires inside.

Jackson?? Who? Assuming Brute reacts, Maia will deduce Steele’s meaning. Ah. Humans. So many different names. Much simpler with just one. She listens to the rest of the briefing, but her interest rapidly wanes as it becomes clear that this is largely a human internal matter. Some of the weakest in the herd have gone missing- it is sad, but it is also inevitable. Of course, it is in the humans’ nature to fight the inevitable- one of the things that makes them so dangerous. Hence the briefing. At first, she’s mildly irritated at having to waste her time with a task that seems to be purely the business of the infestation, but Maia is aware that she made an alliance with these creatures, and she supposes that it will take more than beating down a gigantic reptile to cement it. Then, she realizes that this is a good opportunity for information-gathering, in a relatively safe capacity. Maia is unaccustomed to the subtle approach; the novelty alone was amusing and worth trying out. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Being illiterate, the folders were of no interest to Maia- once the briefing is concluded, she will return to the garden by the most expedient route possible. Once there, however, she resists the urge to climb back into the three- instead, rematerializing her plant body and summoning her crystal armor. Then, she waits. Once any of the rest of Alpha poke their heads out, they will find her standing almost at attention, and Maia will say ”WHEN WE LEAVE?”
SAY MY NAME, INSECTS
Current Status: 678/740 SDC, 3/4 healing touches today.
Maia

Postby Brute » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:26 am

Perception: 51% 1d100 = 95

JIC: 1d20 = 19
1d100 = 69

Lance Steele wrote:"Welcome Alpha. Let's get into it. John Mason's family checked up on him once per week. He was homeless but not without relations. His sister reported him missing from his tent in Brisby Flats on Wednesday. This report triggered a system flag, as he marked the fifteenth homeless person to go missing since Sunday, March 29th.

Fifteenth?

Clint shakes his head, trying to concentrate. FIFTEENTH?

He rubs his forehead as the files are slid over, and goes looking through them, for familiar faces, names.

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 50 (What do I know about John Mason - SUCCESS)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 46 (What do I know about Rita Chamberlain - SUCCESS)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 69 (What do I know about Macy Greenwood - FAIL)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 59 (What do I know about Arthur Compton - SUCCESS)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 48 (What do I know about Anayah Reese - SUCCESS)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 98 (What do I know about Caroline Schultz - FAIL)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 59 (What do I know about Autumn Pritchard - SUCCESS)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 92 (What do I know about Kenneth Jones - FAIL)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 56 (What do I know about Richard Glover - SUCCESS)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 91 (What do I know about MacGregor Gamble - FAIL)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 11 (What do I know about Dean Cantrell - SUCCESS)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 36 (What do I know about Elmer Klein - SUCCESS)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 37 (What do I know about Guy Anthony - SUCCESS)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 12 (What do I know about Joseph Sawyer - SUCCESS)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 46 (What do I know about Douglas Montgomery - SUCCESS)

Intelligence 54% 1d100 = 46 (look for patterns - things the victims had in common - beyond homelessness - common associates, places frequented, drug of choice, etc. - SUCCESS)
Criminal Science (doesn't include Forensic Medicine) 57% 1d100 = 67 (look at commonalities with regard to any criminal activities of the disappeared, criminal associates, etc. - FAIL)

If he knows some of the missing individuals, and was friends with them, he looks crestfallen as he goes through the files, but says nothing.

This is a lot of data to sift through, and we're going to have to put feet on the ground, go back to the Oasis again, and see who's seen what. Maybe someone'll talk to me today. Clint remembers, not that long ago, he'd tried to find his friends from his days before the Omegas, when he himself had been homeless. These people protected him, saved his life. He owed them everything.

He gathers the files up and stands.

"Thank you, Agent Steele. Please tell CSPD to lower their red flag threshold to five individuals. I know they're 'only' homeless people but..." He bites his tongue. "Thank you."

Maia wrote:”WHEN WE LEAVE?”

Clint, a look of grim determination on his face, replies, "Not soon enough." He looks to Barricade and Crucible. "Gear up - we're leaving as soon as everyone's ready. I have some contacts in the homeless community, so we'll try to do some investigating. Also - if you have an overcoat or something, wear it - these folks don't trust cops."

And with good reason - most of them have been beaten for crimes like sleeping on a bench or begging for change at least once.
Brute

Normal Form
AR: 0
HP: 45/45
SDC: 186/186

Monstrous Form
AR: 13
HP: 40/40
SDC: 846/846

Motion detector, 20’ radius range
Predator’s hearing (+2 Initiative, 8X Normal)

Omega Suit v3.1.7
OOC Comments
S.D.C. by Location:
  • Arms: 90 each
  • Legs: 100 each
  • Main Body: 250
  • *Body Camera: 15
Weight: 6 lbs
Modifiers:
  • AR: 17
  • *Body Camera (-2 to strike via aimed shot only)
Features:
  • Hyper-mimetic alloy fibers change size and molecular composition to fit wearer regardless of APS powers, shape or size changes.
  • Built-in short range encrypted radio transceiver (Omega freq only).
  • Built-in RFID transponder for C.S.P.D. verifies wearer is a Centurion to all C.S.P.D. and their precise GPS location within 20'
  • Body Camera located in center of chest.
  • Anti-Tamper system
  • Wrist mounted computer - allows real-time tracking of Omega agents in the field
Brute
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Tom Cassidy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:13 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 37/63%
JIC: 1d100 = 48/1d20 = 11

Tom keeps an eye out for any lingering hints of trouble as C.H.I.M.E.R.A. plays cleanup with the Megasaurs. When ordered to report for yet another physical he throws up his arms. "Geez! ANOTHER one? Why can't you just get the data from Quantico -- they spent THREE WEEKS poking, prodding, and doing all sorts of unspeakable things to me that I only expected out of little green aliens!" Eventually though he relents and submits himself to a new round of poking, prodding, and all sorts of unspeakable things he only ever expected out of little green aliens.

If he's around when Haven shows up at the Omegas HQ, he'll walk up and introduce himself. "Haven, right? Name's Cassidy. Tom Cassidy. Known in the field as Rampart--d'oh! Sorry, can't use that name anymore. Barricade's the new name." He chuckles and holds out his hand. "Anyway, nice to meet one of the Centurions in person." If the subject of the groups' past histories come up he'll simply shrug. "Before my time here. Heh, along with pretty much everything further back than the past few days, I guess. Either way I call it water under the bridge and you're welcome here so long as you don't drink up all the beer and take the last slice of pizza."

Blackhaunt wrote:"Welcome Alpha. Let's get into it. John Mason's family checked up on him once per week. He was homeless but not without relations. His sister reported him missing from his tent in Brisby Flats on Wednesday. This report triggered a system flag, as he marked the fifteenth homeless person to go missing since Sunday, March 29th. We've got files on the rest of them as well. This is obviously a pattern that needs to be resolved quickly. Possible scenarios are a serial killer, a cult, or mass experimentation. Either way you slice it, it's bad for the city and for our homeless citizens. Speaking of 'slice', the only similarities between any of these disappearances is the use of a sharp edged object of some sort to open their tents. A knife, a sword, something." Lance pauses for a moment and refocuses his attention on Brute.

"The Director has chosen your group for this assignment as she thought it might have some...personal meaning to Mr. Jackson. I don't know if you still have any leads from your time on the street, but anything to get to the bottom of this would be helpful. Hit me with any questions you've got quickly. We've got to clear this room in the next hour for the Bravo briefing."

Tom's eyebrows raise as he listens. 15? In just a week? He reaches for his folder and frowns as he reads through what little information is there. No pattern with gender, ethicity, body type, age, nothing. At first blush it's almost totally random aside from the cutting.

He clears his throat. "Agent Steele. Is there _any_ additional information on these people? Any witnesses, friends or family interviewed on the scene? Any fingerprints? Any signs of struggle aside from the cuts in the tents? Any blood samples? Any estimates as to the time of disappearance? And can we get a map of the area with the crime scenes laid out? And can we talk to any of the officers who responded to the reports of the disappearances?" I refuse to believe that the CSPD hasn't done at least some rudimentary investigation. Overworked or not, they'd have to be totally incompetent if this was literally all they had.

He glances over at Brute. "Any chance there are some forensics kits here on the premises? Or maybe we can sweet talk CHIMERA or CSPD into letting us borrow one? I used to be fairly good at crime scene investigations."
Tom Cassidy

Postby Crucible » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:11 pm

Perception Bonus: 31%/56% to recognise the arcane 1d100 = 1
JIC 1d100 = 85 1d20 = 4

Matthew looks over the folders, taking in what little information is provided. He picks them up in turn and reads the scant amount of information. If an operation had this little amount of information, then either they would blitz doing more recon or they would reconsider whether to do anything. He takes one look at Brute and figures that second option was definitely not on the table.

"Do we have any information when and where they were taken?" Matthew asks, dropping one of the files back on the table with barely a noise, "Known associates, any witnesses?"

Do we do this simple, a full investigation? Or do we plunge straight in where Angels fear to tread?

"Or do we have any objects owned by any of them, lock of hair, fingernail clippings, dried blood? Anything like that? I have a spell that might be able to find them, but with items like that, it makes it a lot easier to find them."
viewtopic.php?f=964&t=17657

OOC Comments
PPE: 706
HP: 46
SDC: 71
Sex: Male
Height: 6 ft 3
Weight: 210lbs
Description: Tall, well built, muscular, with long flowing robes that cover his body. In civilian clothes, wavy brown hair cut military short, wears large shades to cover his left eye, with slightly weathered skin. Average looking with a strange false left eye. often seen carrying a book of various different subjects.

Eye of Odin
20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
Crucible

Postby Blackhaunt » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:52 am

RETROPOLIS
Date: Monday, April 6th, 2043
Weather: Outside: Cloudy, raining, warm (60 degrees Fahrenheit)
Time: 9:15 am

Maia finds the rain to be quite pleasant. Her vines feel moisturized, her crystal armor shines and it brings strength back to the earth around her.

Brute pours through the file and comes up with the following:

Brute's Skill Results
John Mason: Didn't know him. Must be a newer addition to the camp.
Rita Chamberlain: She was known around camp as "Crazy Rita". She would talk to herself and had a hollow look in her eyes.
Macy Greenwood: Can't recall.
Arthur Compton: Since his last check in with Cousin Theo, it seems as though Arthur had taken over second in command duties. According to Theo, he was as "strong as 10, no 17 men!"
Anayah Reese: She was sweet and strong but mostly, stylish. Even with minimal access to clothing, she somehow always looked cool.
Caroline Schultz: Can't recall.
Autumn Pritchard: She looks very young (16-19) and Brute doesn't recall seeing her around when he was there.
Kenneth Jones: Can't recall.
Richard Glover: He was always fussy about something. It was hard to figure out which drug he was using, but he was definitely having reactions to something. Lots of scratching, sometimes manic, sometimes docile. He was doing something shady with a crime syndicate, but what it was never became clear.
MacGregor Gamble: Can't recall.
Dean Cantrell: Smoker. Refused to put down the acoustic guitar. Unless he was picking up the banjo. A little obnoxious.
Elmer Klein: "Secretly" the Legionnaire known as The Supervisor. He was a Legacy hero that fell on and stayed in hard times trying to live up to his predecessor. After Brute's time at the Oasis, but he has heard through his contacts all about it. The glasses must stay on at all times.
Guy Anthony: He's in his 20s, used to play football and always talks about how he's going to make it out of the current situation.
Joseph Sawyer: Reserved. Only speaks when he needs to. Which is rare. Once gave Brute a sandwich and chased some thugs away from jumping him.
Douglas Montgomery: Army Veteran. Good in a fight. A little prickly.
Common connections: Brute knows that himself and many of the other homeless folks in Brisby Flats could get a warm meal, a shower and maybe even some second hand clothes at St. Clarice's Center for the Lost. He doesn't see a connection in any underworld dealings, despite one of them almost certainly being a criminal.

"I'll jot that down, Mr Jackson. The threshold is set at 15 disappearances per month. Normally, this would trigger if someone wasn't careful in their below board actions, but it's never happened this fast. Ever."

Barricade asks for additional information on the case. "Most of these folks didn't have family besides the case already presented. At least not family that associated with them. Beyond the info I've already given you, none of our interviews have been enlightening at all. But you can feel free to listen to half an hour of Ronnie J talking about his wine bottle collection and his special football if you'd like. No witnesses to any of these disappearances. No one heard anything. Map, sure. Officers, I'll put in a request. You might be stuck with these reports however."

Crucible asks for different information on the case. "Most of these disappearances happened overnight. Reports explain that they woke and found the various parties missing. Between 1 and 3 per night. The problem is that the reports were given days after many of them had been gone for some time. So, the timeline is quite jumbled. But, like Mr. Jackson said, the information they're giving uniformed CSPD officers might be...limited. The where seems to mostly be tents and shacks. For personal effects, you can check out said tents and shacks."

Lance Steele hands you a map of the Oasis with the layout of which missing person stays where.

What are you doing?
Let the GAMES begin.
ImageImageImage
Blackhaunt
Dimension Master

Postby Maia » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:16 am

JIC: 1d20 = 12, 1d100 = 50
PER: 1d100 = 98 vs. 21%
Conditions
  • Crystal armor- +3 strike/parry/dodge, +4 to damage. Takes 1/3 damage from light and laser attacks.
[

The nitty-gritty details of the investigation fail to hold Maia’s interest for long. Part of the problem is, she’s unaccustomed to dealing with obstacles using any method other than physical force. Subtle is slow she thinks as she watches the human insects scurry about, with their papers and their pictures and their other little toys. Maia didn’t see any reason not to simply proceed to the location where these humans went missing, and start threatening and smashing people until someone talked. If it was that important to find these weaker herd members, anyway. She still wasn’t sure the city wouldn’t be better off without them. But, she would follow the other Omegas’ lead for now, and that meant waiting while they did the painstaking work of investigation.

The other part of the problem was that while Maia’s telepathy allowed her to understand the meaning behind the others’ words, she had no frame of reference for the vocabulary being used. Human-made systems puzzle her, and that includes fields like forensics. She understands what things like fingerprints and DNA are, but not how they might be used to further the group’s aim. As the discussion grows increasingly technical, Maia finds herself lost. While a lesser being might have grown frustrated at her inability to understand or participate in the discussion, after the fourth attempt at trying to reason out the purpose of all of it to herself Maia mentally throws up her hands and goes outside with a muttered ”OUTSIDE.”. There, she will wait and enjoy the rain. Idly, Maia wonders whether the weather or the dead nature of the city itself would prove a greater hindrance to tracking the missing humans later. She supposed she’d just have to wait and see.
SAY MY NAME, INSECTS
Current Status: 678/740 SDC, 3/4 healing touches today.
Maia

Postby Brute » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:27 am

Perception: 51% 1d100 = 59

JIC: 1d20 = 1
1d100 = 42

Elmer Klein - The Supervisor? Shit. At least two of these guys have powers. Are they targeting supers?

Clint looks up from the files as Steele answers questions. He closes the files in front of him and stands. "Agent Steele, at least one of these men has criminal connections and at least two are supers. I don't know all of the disappeared but I do know a few. When the op is over I'll submit dossiers on any that are germane to CHIMERA's interests."

He turns to his team. "With the exception of Maia, we're going in civvies-over-omega-suits. Homeless people are jittery around law enforcement so our cover is that we're a charity and some of our regulars are missing. We can maybe say we're affiliated with St. Clarice's... but we run the risk of people knowing we don't work there. If you get asked, say we're a citizen's neighborhood organization and St. Clarice's mentioned to me that some of the regulars haven't shown up. If they ask any more, shrug. Not every person knows every detail, and the less we lie the harder it'll be to detect."

Hopefully, none of them saw me in human form at the press conference.

He continues, "I'd like to get moving ASAP. I'll talk with Maia and see what it... she... brings to the investigation. Soon as I'm done we're moving out."

Clint will head back out to the memorial garden, and stand next to Maia.

"Maia... I apologize for the intrusion, but ... I kinda need to know if you have any abilities that might help us gather information. Like... there are trees in the homeless camp - can you talk to them? Or is there any way for you to... I dunno... overhear what's going on in the camp? When we ask about the missing people there may be talk going on about it that we're not aware of. And also... It'd probably help if you don't walk around in tree form - you came to us... kind of invisible. Can you do that again?"

As he waits for her answer, he adds "And also, as per our agreement - if you find anything we can do to strengthen The Life where we're going, let me know." As they talk, he racks his brain trying to think about businesses or individuals - criminal or legitimate - with interests in the Oasis.

OOC Comments
What neighborhood of Brisby Flats is the Oasis in? there are 8 neighborhoods and the rolls below should be more or less specific to that one neighborhood and those adjoining it, not the whole of Brisby Flats.

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 62 (Crime Syndicates with dealings in Brisby Flats - particularly any that involve turf at or near the Oasis - SUCCESS)
Intelligence 54% 1d100 = 40 (Crime syndicates read about in CSPD's database operating in or trying to move in to Brisby Flats at or near the Oasis - SUCCESS)

Streetwise 64% 1d100 = 61 (who owns the land the Oasis is on? Individual? Corporation? - SUCCESS)
Intelligence 54% 1d100 = 83 (Have I read any articles about proposed development at or near the Oasis? - FAIL)
Brute

Normal Form
AR: 0
HP: 45/45
SDC: 186/186

Monstrous Form
AR: 13
HP: 40/40
SDC: 846/846

Motion detector, 20’ radius range
Predator’s hearing (+2 Initiative, 8X Normal)

Omega Suit v3.1.7
OOC Comments
S.D.C. by Location:
  • Arms: 90 each
  • Legs: 100 each
  • Main Body: 250
  • *Body Camera: 15
Weight: 6 lbs
Modifiers:
  • AR: 17
  • *Body Camera (-2 to strike via aimed shot only)
Features:
  • Hyper-mimetic alloy fibers change size and molecular composition to fit wearer regardless of APS powers, shape or size changes.
  • Built-in short range encrypted radio transceiver (Omega freq only).
  • Built-in RFID transponder for C.S.P.D. verifies wearer is a Centurion to all C.S.P.D. and their precise GPS location within 20'
  • Body Camera located in center of chest.
  • Anti-Tamper system
  • Wrist mounted computer - allows real-time tracking of Omega agents in the field
Brute
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Return to Century Station: Operation Overlord Adventures