Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Only adventured-related threads are found here.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Fox » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:56 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 91 of 42%
Initiative: 1d20+3 = 8
JIC: 1d20 = 13
JIC%: 1d100 = 11

Fox was not doing all that well in general, but manages to find his way. His relatives would not be proud of his wilderness skills.

Fox accepts the food offered, Kankoran may prefer meat but they are omnivores. He discovers, too late, that the fungi are mildly poisonous. He can easily cure this problem, he IS a healer, but perhaps it is better this way, as it makes us seem harmless when Berryann finds us.

Fox notes mentally, Next time, I check the food before eating it.

Fox replies to the trapper (if he sticks around long enough), "A tea to aid our digestion would be welcome, and perhaps we can exchange notes on the healing properties of herbs. However, we were seeking information and were told you are the one most likely to have it."

If he has to wait, he follows the directions to the cabin given, then will say the same.

Land Navigation: 1d100 = 72 of 60%
Last edited by Fox on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fox the Healer
Nightvision 40'
Superior Sense of Smell and Hearing
--Hearing is as keen as a dog's and has the same range of hearing
--Recognize and Track Familiar scent 32% (+4%) range 50', re-roll every 100' (+10% if mate or offspring)
--Track Blood Scent by smell alone 42% (+4%) Range 1,000'
I.S.P.: 130/70 | H.P.: 37/37 | S.D.C.: 12/26
Horror Factor: 12 | Natural AR: 6
Studded Leather Armor: AR 13, SDC 36, -5% mobility Penalty
Fox the Healer
Image
User avatar
Fox
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:24 am

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Tolliver Trask » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:44 am

Perception: 1d100 = 68/62%
Just in Case: 1d20 = 17; 1d100 = 52
Conditions: Immune to Fire, Resistant to Cold, Sixth Sense, -1/2 all APM & combat bonuses (sick)

As Trask is at the mercy of stupidity he looks to Thorgrim. "You daft bastard trying to kill us all. From now on keep your food to yourself." Trask says while considering why on earth he would even had tried to eat the shit Thorgrim gave him when he has a literal fortune of food available to him already purchased and for the most part ready to eat.

When Berryann approaches and has his fun. "I'll take your cure." Trask says, not wishing to do anything else until his bowels stop explosively releasing.
Suicide King
Tolliver Trask
"Tonight, boys, we're eating like kings. We've all tasted death too much it seems." ~Shawn James
P.P.E.: 10/10
I.S.P.: 38/38
H.P.: 39/39
S.D.C.: 71/71
Constant Effects
Sixth Sense, Impervious to Fire, Resistant to Cold.
Temporary Effects
None.
Weapons in Hand
Dwarven Longsword
Armor Worn
Mjorgullan Mail Uncommon Enchanted Splint (half)
• A.R.: 12
• S.D.C.: 40/40
Tower Shield of the Hex Rare Enchanted Large Wood & Metal Plated Shield
• Indestructible
User avatar
Tolliver Trask
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Thorgrim » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:49 am

Per (63%. Or 88% to detect weather/environmental hazards and recognize plants, roots, insects for nourishment. Or 78% recognize animal aggression.): 1d100 = 80
JiC: 1d20 = 2 / 1d100 = 16

Conditions: -1/2 all APM & combat bonuses (sick)

Berryman wrote:"If you're here to rob me, I'll save you the embarrassment of killing you with your britches down. I've no gold or fancy things to steal. Though I'd be happy to trade with you, if we have anything of mutual value. Name's Berryann. Cross the stream and find your way to my cabin if you're looking for trade...or maybe a tea to soothe your bellies."


Being caught off guard, the hulking barbarian warrior is overwhelmingly embarrassed, his face turning the color of the setting sun. Well shit what a surprise! Literally shit, and shit soup everywhere! It doesn't help Thor, that has he attempts to smile and halfway nod to Berryman from his half-squat against the wagon, his welcoming gestures are irregularly interrupted by the abnormally loud and exotic sounds of his Herculean bowel movements. Damn it all, I hate being caught like this - with our pants down - literally with our damned pants down!
Trying to save some semblance of dignity, Thorgrim just smiles and nods sheepishly as Berryman leaves them; picking up his britches after he's left.
Once close enough to the stream, Thor will walk over and wash himself off as best as possible.
"Well that was royally embarrassing moment, methinks... the good news is we've found Berryman, or he's found us, rather. I'm taking him up on his offer for a remedy of the 'shits' we've all contracted - thanks to me, no less. Shall we make our way to his cabin?"
Land Navigation (71%): 1d100 = 56 - Navigating towards the cabin (assuming not really needed, as they're very close and received basic directions)
Astronomy and Navigation (53%): 1d100 = 32 - Reinforcing the same as above

Before entering the cabin, or knocking at its door if closed, Thor will assess the immediate surroundings in order to detect if anything is out of the ordinary, appreciative of the coppicing trees in the area.
Wilderness Survival (78%): 1d100 = 35

Once reacquainted with Berryman, Thorgrim will do his best to make up for their first impression. "Berryman, my name is Thorgrim and this is Durak, Trask, and Fox. I'm sure we'd all appreciate a tea to ease our internal pains; your gesture is very generous. You see, it's my fault for selecting a poor choice of nature's bounty for us to eat as we were traveling. I'm quite out of practice, as we've been in Llorn for some time now. We've left Llorn, passed through Neven, and now found ourselves looking for you. Folks in Neven seem to believe you may be the only one in the area with any knowledge of what's been going on with the increase in hostile Orc activity. We're trying to figure out what the source of the problem is and solve it - by any means necessary. So any ways, we have reason to believe there may be some Orc headquarters or dilapidated fort the Orcs may have taken over, generally to the South of Neven, which they have been operating out of. Is there anything you can share?"
Invoke Trust (45%): 1d100 = 12 - trying to gain trust with the stranger, Berryman; and hopefully remove the idea that we're all fools - based on our first impression with him.
Thorgrim Cromson
H.P.: 53/53
S.D.C.: 139/139
Abilities and Equipment
Special Abilities
Berserker Fury (3x per day): +1 APM, +3 Strike, +8 Damage, +6 vs HF, +5 vs Possession & Mind Control, -3 Parry, Refuses to Dodge. Following Fury is at half Speed & Combat bonuses for 20 min.

Armor
Leather Of Iron: AR 15
S.D.C.: 110/110


Weapons
Large Iron Shield, Over-sized Claymore, Thunder Club, Thorgrim's Throwing Knives

Special Equipment
User avatar
Thorgrim
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Durak » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:47 am

Perception 53% 1d100 = 19
JIC 1d20 = 20 1d100 = 95

As Durak ate Thorgrim's offerings, they tasted oily on the way down. Unfortunately, on the way out, it was far less pleasant coming out either end. As he squats in the hole. he glares at Thorgrim.

"This is the last time I take culinary advice from you!"

Trust the natural, what you can feel. Only use magic as last resort. There are days that I really regret that philosophy.

As Berryman appear, Durak groans as his bowels evacuate again. Being caught like this was embarrassing.

Augur wrote: "If you're here to rob me, I'll save you the embarrassment of killing you with your britches down. I've no gold or fancy things to steal. Though I'd be happy to trade with you, if we have anything of mutual value. Name's Berryann. Cross the stream and find your way to my cabin if you're looking for trade...or maybe a tea to soothe your bellies." Without a further word, he's off and out of sight amid the brush and reeds near the stream.


"If you have something to cure these squits, I'm happy to sit and chat. No need for any violence especially if you're the Berryman we are looking for." Durak looks down at the hole that he is squatting over, "not that you catching us at our best."

Durak pulls up his britches and struggles to keep his bowels from reacting long enough to get the cart across the stream and make it to Berryann's cabin if one of the others directs him successfully. Considering their current predicament, it would not surprise him if it went wrong.

Provided that they make it to the cabin and offered tea that soothes their bellies, Durak becomes calm again and will happily pay a reasonable price if requested for the tea.

"As my companions have said, we understand that you might be able to assist us further with regards the orc problem, though I am not adverse to seeing your wares as well

OOC Comments
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 30%1d100 = 6 gain Berryann's trust
If any goods are offered
Appraise Goods 61% 1d100 = 93
Bartering 56% (+5%) 1d100 = 65
Durak
HP 40
SDC 59
Cloak of protection AR12 SDC 50 Impervious to Fire
Bracers AR15
Constant Effects: Nightvision 90ft,
Description: Tall for a Dwarf, with a mottled red/brown beard. His shoulders are generally down as he tries not to attract attention to himself
User avatar
Durak
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:36 am

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Augur » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Conditions:
Date: 11 May, 345
Time: 1915 (night)
Environment: Cool evening, light north-to-south breeze
Location: A day's ride south of Neven

Intel
Image


Before entering the cabin, Thor assesses the area. Inside a bit of natural undergrowth there's a double ring of coppiced trees. Inside the double ring is a small clearing within which is a sturdy wattle & daub lodge with a thatch roof. The door to the lodge is open, and a light plume of barely visible smoke emanates from a hole in the roof. That smoke is captured by the canopy of trees which cloak the lodge. Inside, the trapper is squating beside and tending a fire. He doesn't look up. There's an A-frame set up over the fire with a trio of clay pots hanging from finely made leather thong supports within which the pots are suspended over the low fire.

Thorgrim does his best to make up for the group's first impression. "Berryman, my name is Thorgrim and this is Durak, Trask, and Fox. I'm sure we'd all appreciate a tea to ease our internal pains; your gesture is very generous. You see, it's my fault for selecting a poor choice of nature's bounty for us to eat as we were traveling. I'm quite out of practice, as we've been in Llorn for some time now. We've left Llorn, passed through Neven, and now found ourselves looking for you. Folks in Neven seem to believe you may be the only one in the area with any knowledge of what's been going on with the increase in hostile Orc activity. We're trying to figure out what the source of the problem is and solve it - by any means necessary. So any ways, we have reason to believe there may be some Orc headquarters or dilapidated fort the Orcs may have taken over, generally to the South of Neven, which they have been operating out of. Is there anything you can share?"

"The name's Berryann. No 'M.' Now, if you're done talking, I've a pot of strong peppermint tea that should settle your stomachs. Based on what I heard, I'm guessing you ate what you thought was grubs. Well, they ain't. Nor normal ones anyway. Those're toxic. Them grubs belong to a wood-boring, stinging insect that even the birds won't eat. Though there's a kind of weasel-like critter in these parts what attacks 'em like they're honeyed biscuits."

Dural adds. "As my companions have said, we understand that you might be able to assist us further with regards the orc problem, though I am not adverse to seeing your wares as well."

Berryann scowls ever so slightly. "First, the tea. I'll not have you shitting in my sanctuary." Opening a chest against one wall, he extracts five wooden cups. He walks over to the fire, tips over one of the three pots into each of the four cups, and hands one to each person present. He then tips the middle pot into the remaining cup, filling it with a thick, chuncky stew by the looks of it. He gestures to the floor around the fire for the group to have a seat, then pulls over the one stool in the shack for himself and sits for a few minutes watching the group drink their tea as he slowly slurps down his stew.

The trapper finally speaks up. "All I know of orcs is to steer well clear of them if they're running in packs--as they usually are. Singly, they tend to be a cowardly lot if you stand up to their bully and bluster. And leaderless--they're less than useless. I've seen some of late in the area. They've even sent raiding parts at Neven on occasion, but mostly they stay clear of the town, why I'm not sure. You mentioned a fort? Well, there's the ruins of one about a day's ride to the west of here. Other than that, there's the stone tower line which marks the Old Kingdom, but that's a few days due South." He finishes off his stew, wiping the inside of the cup with one finger and sucking that clean as well. Standing up, he belches, rinses the cup out in a bucket of water he has nearby, then sits back down. "As to trade, I dunno what you might want, but I'm in want of flour and maybe some other similar stuff I'd normally get in Neven. If'n you could save me the trip, I'd be happy to see what I have to trade for such. Had me a fancy for venison gravy over biscuits for some days now. Got me some venison curing, but I'll be damned if I'm outta flour to make biscuits."

Each of the group finds their stomachs settled after a little while of slowly sipping the strong tea. Outside, the sun has finally dipped well below the horizon and a blanket of utter black is settling itself across the streams, trees, and rolling hills of this rugged, wild land.

What are your intentions?

GM Note: You're in the wilds on your own now, so make sure to include land navigation rolls & anything else you think wise--and specify to what ends the skills are being applied.

Butcher's Bill
Durak:
Fox:
Thorgrim:
Trask:
"The older I get the closer Lloyd comes to making sense." ~Uncle Servo
"Well, you have been Lloyd-pilled for years." ~ Bahb Silunt
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Augur
Admin
 
Posts: 5217
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Fox » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:02 am

Perception: 1d100 = 2 of 42%
Initiative: 1d20+3 = 8
JIC: 1d20 = 14
JIC%: 1d100 = 41

Identify plants and fruits 1d100 = 5 of 65%
Holistic Medicine 1d100 = 16 of 65%
Recognize familiar scent 1d100 = 71 of 32%
Brewing 1d100 = 56 of 70%

Fox carefully observes what goes into the tea. He will ask questions about using alternate herbs and other uses for the tea.

Fox notes, "If the larvae are only a local problem, then outsiders can not be faulted for failing to know about them."

To himself, he adds, I will still make certain to check out our food in the future, I could have been able to smell that the grubs were wrong.

He will say, "One of the orcs, whom we captured and questioned when we set off an ambush near Llorn, pointed us to a ruin near here as their local base of operations. We need to check it out. The ruins a day's ride west are likely the ones we seek. Any help you can give us in finding they will be appreciated."

Hopefully, he will have a detailed local map, but if not any description of landmarks to help us find our way would help.
Fox the Healer
Nightvision 40'
Superior Sense of Smell and Hearing
--Hearing is as keen as a dog's and has the same range of hearing
--Recognize and Track Familiar scent 32% (+4%) range 50', re-roll every 100' (+10% if mate or offspring)
--Track Blood Scent by smell alone 42% (+4%) Range 1,000'
I.S.P.: 130/70 | H.P.: 37/37 | S.D.C.: 12/26
Horror Factor: 12 | Natural AR: 6
Studded Leather Armor: AR 13, SDC 36, -5% mobility Penalty
Fox the Healer
Image
User avatar
Fox
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:24 am

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Tolliver Trask » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:20 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 79/62%
Just in Case: 1d20 = 4; 1d100 = 7
Conditions: Immune to Fire, Resistant to Cold, Sixth Sense.

Land Navigation 1d100 = 20/42% Pass (To guess which tower Berryann mentioned is the likely tower the group seeks.)
Bartering 1d100 = 89/30% Fail (To get the best possible deal for his flour)

Trask is quiet while e drinks the tea, he's still fuming at both his own stupidity for eating what Thorgrim gave him, and at Thorgrim for trying to kill him, even accidentally. Stupid of me, durn fool. Doesn't have the the common sense gods gave a donkey. Once Trask's stomach has settled and Berryann tells his info, Trask shakes his head and thinks for a few minutes.

When Fox speaks up Trask shakes his head. "Sure of that are you? So you're saying that the tower is ten days walk from Llorn." Trask says hoping to chide his companion from rash thinking. "Those Old Kingdom towers are likely half abandoned as well, and if my directions are correct might possibly be a viable option."

Trask looks to Berryann. "So the Orc's seem to shy away from Neven, but are practically on the doorstep of Llorn, now that doesn't make a lick of sense at all. Nothing about the past few months has made a lick of sense and I'm rightly annoyed all told." Trask finishes a bit angrily before sighing and slumping his shoulders.

"I have some flour I'm willing to trade, came to me for a steep price, so I'll not let it go cheap. What are you willing to offer for it?" Trask says to Berryann.
Suicide King
Tolliver Trask
"Tonight, boys, we're eating like kings. We've all tasted death too much it seems." ~Shawn James
P.P.E.: 10/10
I.S.P.: 38/38
H.P.: 39/39
S.D.C.: 71/71
Constant Effects
Sixth Sense, Impervious to Fire, Resistant to Cold.
Temporary Effects
None.
Weapons in Hand
Dwarven Longsword
Armor Worn
Mjorgullan Mail Uncommon Enchanted Splint (half)
• A.R.: 12
• S.D.C.: 40/40
Tower Shield of the Hex Rare Enchanted Large Wood & Metal Plated Shield
• Indestructible
User avatar
Tolliver Trask
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Fox » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:42 am

(Rolls Held over)
Fox responds, "The orc also said it was only a few hours south of the Canal, it can not be the southern tower, they are a day or two south of that. Assuming, of course, he was telling the truth."

Fox notes to himself, Not that I have any means to detect whether or not the truth is being told to me.
Fox the Healer
Nightvision 40'
Superior Sense of Smell and Hearing
--Hearing is as keen as a dog's and has the same range of hearing
--Recognize and Track Familiar scent 32% (+4%) range 50', re-roll every 100' (+10% if mate or offspring)
--Track Blood Scent by smell alone 42% (+4%) Range 1,000'
I.S.P.: 130/70 | H.P.: 37/37 | S.D.C.: 12/26
Horror Factor: 12 | Natural AR: 6
Studded Leather Armor: AR 13, SDC 36, -5% mobility Penalty
Fox the Healer
Image
User avatar
Fox
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:24 am

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Durak » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:10 pm

Perception 53% 1d100 = 9
JIC 1d100 = 55 1d20 = 7

Conditions: -1/2 all APM & combat bonuses (sick)

Durak sips his tea and feels his bowels slowly become normal again.
Thank Thoth for that. Any longer and I'd be looking like a gnome and just as useless. When we set off tomorrow

Augur wrote:The trapper finally speaks up. "All I know of orcs is to steer well clear of them if they're running in packs--as they usually are. Singly, they tend to be a cowardly lot if you stand up to their bully and bluster. And leaderless--they're less than useless. I've seen some of late in the area. They've even sent raiding parts at Neven on occasion, but mostly they stay clear of the town, why I'm not sure. You mentioned a fort? Well, there's the ruins of one about a day's ride to the west of here. Other than that, there's the stone tower line which marks the Old Kingdom, but that's a few days due South." He finishes off his stew, wiping the inside of the cup with one finger and sucking that clean as well. Standing up, he belches, rinses the cup out in a bucket of water he has nearby, then sits back down. "As to trade, I dunno what you might want, but I'm in want of flour and maybe some other similar stuff I'd normally get in Neven. If'n you could save me the trip, I'd be happy to see what I have to trade for such. Had me a fancy for venison gravy over biscuits for some days now. Got me some venison curing, but I'll be damned if I'm outta flour to make biscuits."


If Berryann offers Trask something for the flour, Durak tries to helps Trask get the best deal he can.

OOC Comments
Appraise Goods 61% (5%) 1d100 = 45
Bartering 56% (+5%) 1d100 = 88


Fox wrote:Fox responds, "The orc also said it was only a few hours south of the Canal, it can not be the southern tower, they are a day or two south of that. Assuming, of course, he was telling the truth."


"This of course depends on if you have plotted the location exactly. Considering the quality of many of the maps I've seen, not worth anything apart from to wipe my arse with. The exact location of these places I would take with a pinch of salt from a map. More inclined to trust the eyes when finding the exact location." Durak offers his opinion, as he strokes his beard, "you were also interrogating him. May not have been as accurate under duress."

"Afterwards, would you object if we stayed here for the night?" Durak inquired, "we'd be out of your beard in the morning
Durak
HP 40
SDC 59
Cloak of protection AR12 SDC 50 Impervious to Fire
Bracers AR15
Constant Effects: Nightvision 90ft,
Description: Tall for a Dwarf, with a mottled red/brown beard. His shoulders are generally down as he tries not to attract attention to himself
User avatar
Durak
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:36 am

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Thorgrim » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 am

Per (63%. Or 88% to detect weather/environmental hazards and recognize plants, roots, insects for nourishment. Or 78% recognize animal aggression.): 1d100 = 46
JiC: 1d20 = 16 / 1d100 = 38

Durak wrote:"This of course depends on if you have plotted the location exactly. Considering the quality of many of the maps I've seen, not worth anything apart from to wipe my arse with. The exact location of these places I would take with a pinch of salt from a map. More inclined to trust the eyes when finding the exact location."


Thorgrim absently continues to sip the tea as he listens to the conversation, ever grateful of the relief which it has provided to his bowels.
Belimar's stones, what a relief... He sighs before chiming in.
"It seems as though we're at a loss, with the info from our captured orc telling us one thing, but Berryan's subject-matter-expertise telling us another. I think we've heard enough that we should just go find out for ourselves, eh? Berryan, would you mind if we stay the night - tomorrow we could head out towards the tower ruins."
Thorgrim Cromson
H.P.: 53/53
S.D.C.: 139/139
Abilities and Equipment
Special Abilities
Berserker Fury (3x per day): +1 APM, +3 Strike, +8 Damage, +6 vs HF, +5 vs Possession & Mind Control, -3 Parry, Refuses to Dodge. Following Fury is at half Speed & Combat bonuses for 20 min.

Armor
Leather Of Iron: AR 15
S.D.C.: 110/110


Weapons
Large Iron Shield, Over-sized Claymore, Thunder Club, Thorgrim's Throwing Knives

Special Equipment
User avatar
Thorgrim
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Augur » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:42 am

Conditions:
Date: 11 May, 345
Time: 2000 (night)
Environment: Cool evening, light north-to-south breeze
Location: A day's ride south of Neven

Intel
Image


Fox says, "One of the orcs, whom we captured and questioned when we set off an ambush near Llorn, pointed us to a ruin near here as their local base of operations. We need to check it out. The ruins a day's ride west are likely the ones we seek. Any help you can give us in finding they will be appreciated."

Trask shakes his head. "Sure of that are you? So you're saying that the tower is ten days walk from Llorn." Trask says hoping to chide his companion from rash thinking. "Those Old Kingdom towers are likely half abandoned as well, and if my directions are correct might possibly be a viable option."

Fox responds, "The orc also said it was only a few hours south of the Canal, it can not be the southern tower, they are a day or two south of that. Assuming, of course, he was telling the truth."

Durak adds, "This of course depends on if you have plotted the location exactly. Considering the quality of many of the maps I've seen, not worth anything apart from to wipe my arse with. The exact location of these places I would take with a pinch of salt from a map. More inclined to trust the eyes when finding the exact location." Durak offers his opinion, as he strokes his beard, "you were also interrogating him. May not have been as accurate under duress."

Trask looks to Berryann. "So the Orcs seem to shy away from Neven, but are practically on the doorstep of Llorn, now that doesn't make a lick of sense at all. Nothing about the past few months has made a lick of sense and I'm rightly annoyed all told." Trask finishes a bit angrily before sighing and slumping his shoulders.

Berryann shakes his head. "I can't speak to Llorn, haven't been up that way since long before these troubles began. I have noticed an increase in game in the area though, so it could very well be that some force is driving game out of the Howling Lands and steppes of the Old Kingdom and into these lowlands; the orcs might be that force, or they might be following the game, or they might be emigrating for the same reason."

"It seems as though we're at a loss, with the info from our captured orc telling us one thing, but Berryan's subject matter expertise telling us another. I think we've heard enough that we should just go find out for ourselves, eh?"

Berryann nods, "I've always put greater stock in what my own senses can tell me than the theories of others as well. Know how to be quiet and listen, and the land can tell you a great deal."

"I have some flour I'm willing to trade, came to me for a steep price, so I'll not let it go cheap. What are you willing to offer for it?" Trask says to Berryann.

Berryann clarifies, "I'd be content with a few pounds of flour, maybe up to ten pounds to get me through the winter. I have all sort of handicraft about: some spare snares; a few fishing rods and nets; a fine, sturdy bow; and even a staff I've managed to hew from a strange wood I traded for some seasons back...it's not fancy, but I'll be damned if it's not tougher than oak."

"Afterwards, would you object if we stayed here for the night?" Durak inquires, "we'd be out of your beard in the morning."

Thorgrim echoes Durak's request. "Berryan, would you mind if we stay the night - tomorrow we could head out towards the tower ruins."

Berryann nods gruffly. "There's no room in here, but the clearing just outside will be fine, and relatively safe. The coppicing has made all but the entry path a virtual wall of wood. If you light a fire, keep it low and only use very dry wood to keep smoke to a minimum. No need to attract the attention of orcs or beasts in the night should any be about." The four companions camp just outside the shack, and settle in for a good rest after a long day.


Conditions:
Date: 12 May, 345
Time: 0600 (dawn)
Environment: Cool evening, light north-to-south breeze
Location: A day's ride south of Neven

Intel
Image


The first rays of sunlight begin to dapple the the interior of the clearing, and Berryann's quiet morning noises and ablutions wake the companions from their sleep. It's dawn, and a new day greets them. Their bellies are rumbling, but thanks to Berryann's mint tea, their bowels are quiet.

What are your intentions?

GM Note: You're in the wilds on your own now, so make sure to include land navigation rolls & anything else you think wise--and specify to what ends the skills are being applied.

Butcher's Bill
Durak:
Fox:
Thorgrim:
Trask:
"The older I get the closer Lloyd comes to making sense." ~Uncle Servo
"Well, you have been Lloyd-pilled for years." ~ Bahb Silunt
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Augur
Admin
 
Posts: 5217
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Fox » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:47 am

Perception: 1d100 = 18 of 42%
Initiative: 1d20+3 = 5
JIC: 1d20 = 8
JIC%: 1d100 = 74

Fox says, "It makes more sense to check out the nearby tower first, the ones further south will take longer to reach and if we do not find what we seek in the closer tower they are not much farther from there than from here."

Fox will follow Berryanne's instructions on finding the closer ruin, keeping alert for any signs of Orcs, and for useful things as well.

Identify Plants and Fruits 1d100 = 87 of 65% (To find useful plants for food of healing)
Wilderness Survival 1d100 = 29 of 60% (To look for food, and for signs of other foragers)
Land Navigation 1d100 = 38 of 60% (To find our way)
Recognize Familiar Scent 1d100 = 44 of 32% (I am assuming a general Orc scent would be counted as familiar)
Fox the Healer
Nightvision 40'
Superior Sense of Smell and Hearing
--Hearing is as keen as a dog's and has the same range of hearing
--Recognize and Track Familiar scent 32% (+4%) range 50', re-roll every 100' (+10% if mate or offspring)
--Track Blood Scent by smell alone 42% (+4%) Range 1,000'
I.S.P.: 130/70 | H.P.: 37/37 | S.D.C.: 12/26
Horror Factor: 12 | Natural AR: 6
Studded Leather Armor: AR 13, SDC 36, -5% mobility Penalty
Fox the Healer
Image
User avatar
Fox
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:24 am

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Tolliver Trask » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:20 am

Perception: 1d100 = 97/62%
Just in Case: 1d20 = 3; 1d100 = 4
Conditions: Immune to Fire, Resistant to Cold, Sixth Sense.

Skills:
Land Navigation 1d100 = 26/42% Pass (To keep from being lost, while trekking towards the tower.)
Wilderness Survival 1d100 = 84/65% Fail (To avoid natural hazards that may come up.)
Detect Ambush 1d100 = 66/55% Fail (To Identify possible ambushes on the trip there.)
Detect Concealment & Traps 1d100 = 97/50% Fail (To Identify any concealed traps or concealed things in general on the trip)
Cook 1d100 = 14/55% Pass (For Trask to cook himself breakfast from his personal supplies.)

Trask awakens in the we early hours the normal aches and pains of his advanced age letting him know he is still alive. Another day to spread the blessings of Utu upon the world. Trask thinks as he gathers up the strength to rise and starts slowly crawling out from the warm confines of his bedroll. Trask groans as he gets to his feet and reaches for his waterskin to wash the taste of yesterday from his mouth. Trask takes a few long moments to work his boots on, before grabbing his gambeson and pulling it over his linen under shirt. Trask looks towards Garrick and gingerly walks to his longtime companion the general pains of a rough life making movement a bit more difficult in the morning.

"Hello old friend, sleep well?" Trask says as he pulls a portion of animal feed from the packs and fills Garrick's feed bag. "This should make you happy." Trask says softly as he loops the strap of the bag over Garrick's head and secures it. Once Trask is done caring for his mule, he looks to caring for his own self, pulling out his own cook wear and a few supplies for a filling breakfast. Over a small cook fire Trask prepares eggs, sausage, and flour made into ash cakes. Once the food is prepared, Trask eats while quietly contemplating what may happen in the near future. Once his food is gone, Trask washes it down with another cup of water.

Breakfast done, Trask works on getting himself geared up and loading the packs onto Garrick's back. All prepared to go, Trask looks to the group.

Fox wrote:"It makes more sense to check out the nearby tower first, the ones further south will take longer to reach and if we do not find what we seek in the closer tower they are not much farther from there than from here."


Trask nods. "Makes sense. We should be on our way so as to not arrive there at night." Trask adds.
Suicide King
Tolliver Trask
"Tonight, boys, we're eating like kings. We've all tasted death too much it seems." ~Shawn James
P.P.E.: 10/10
I.S.P.: 38/38
H.P.: 39/39
S.D.C.: 71/71
Constant Effects
Sixth Sense, Impervious to Fire, Resistant to Cold.
Temporary Effects
None.
Weapons in Hand
Dwarven Longsword
Armor Worn
Mjorgullan Mail Uncommon Enchanted Splint (half)
• A.R.: 12
• S.D.C.: 40/40
Tower Shield of the Hex Rare Enchanted Large Wood & Metal Plated Shield
• Indestructible
User avatar
Tolliver Trask
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Durak » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:02 am

perception 53% 1d100 = 37
JIC 1d100 = 27 1d20 = 7

OOC Comments
conditions
Sustain
Require no food, water, or breath, need only 2 hours of sleep/night. Can survive almost all environmental conditions
Duration: 5 days


Durak awakes to find Berryann's tea had done its work and his body feels back to normal. Excellent, the squits have gone. Time to get out of here.

He thanks Berryann for his hospitality before coming back out to see Trask talking with his donkey and cooking his own breakfast. He reaches for one of the talismans on his person and activates the sustain spell. That will last me a while. Saves with the cooking.

Tolliver Trask wrote:Trask nods. "Makes sense. We should be on our way so as to not arrive there at night." Trask adds.


"In which case," Durak calls over from where he is gathering up his camping gear, "let me get the cart ready and we can be underway." Placing his gear in the back of the cart, he readies it to go and clambers up to the front to drive.


Detect Concealment & Traps 66% 1d100 = 69 to spot hidden things as required
Teamster 51% (5%, 1st level) 1d100 = 29 to drive the cart safely if there is any trouble
Wilderness Survival 36% (+5%)1d100 = 99 make sure anything Thorgrim gives him won't cause upset bowels again
Durak
HP 40
SDC 59
Cloak of protection AR12 SDC 50 Impervious to Fire
Bracers AR15
Constant Effects: Nightvision 90ft,
Description: Tall for a Dwarf, with a mottled red/brown beard. His shoulders are generally down as he tries not to attract attention to himself
User avatar
Durak
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:36 am

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Thorgrim » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:01 pm

Per (63%. Or 88% to detect weather/environmental hazards and recognize plants, roots, insects for nourishment. Or 78% recognize animal aggression.): 1d100 = 12
JiC: 1d20 = 19 / 1d100 = 92

Fox wrote:"It makes more sense to check out the nearby tower first, the ones further south will take longer to reach and if we do not find what we seek in the closer tower they are not much farther from there than from here."

Thorgrim scratches his head as he tries to make sense of his companion's long-winded proposal, "Uh, agreed Fox. Closer tower is good for now. Farther tower is bad."
I think we think the same thing, and probably agree with each other a lot of the time... he just sounds different, methinks. Maybe because he's a Kankoran.

Thorgrim smells Trask's cooking and he salivates, ever so slightly smells like good food to start the day. The Barbarian warrior rummages through the saddlebags sitting atop Bill his workhorse. He retrieves some Oats, which he first feeds to Bill before snagging a days worth of rations to consume and a quarter pound of his jerked beef. The beef jerky makes the rations tolerable I suppose...

Durak wrote:"let me get the cart ready and we can be underway."

Thorgrim nods to Durak as he finishes feeding Bill, he hands Durak a strip of jerky as he steps back from the car, "She's all yours, master Dwarf. Some jerky for your troubles?"

Thorgrim ensures the a comfortable fitting for his leather of iron, and drapes on his cloak of shadows over the armor. We can't be too careful.

As they start their long trek, he remarks, "Should we have reason to believe we're close to danger or that something of interest or concern is near... we should keep the cart back - I'm game to sneak ahead if anyone else is, and figure out what's going on."

Identify Plants & Fruits (43%): 1d100 = 40 (in addition to perception roll related to this, Thor looks for food along the way, storing anything in abundance as a snack/meal for later)
Identify Plants & Fruits (43%): 1d100 = 43 (Thor takes a second attempt to ensure whatever he grabs does in-fact appear to be safe for consumption... Thor will take a couple test bites before deciding to keep or share it. He doesn't want to give everyone the shits again)
Save vs Non-lethal Poison: 1d20+8 = 12 (vs food poisoning again...)
Save vs Lethal Poison: 1d20+8 = 21 (vs food poisoning again...)

Land Navigation (71%): 1d100 = 2 (Navigate towards the supposed first tower location)
Astronomy and Navigation (53%): 1d100 = 53 (same in reinforcing Land Nav, and determines how long it will take them to get there, and estimates what time they may arrive by)

Wilderness Survival (78%): 1d100 = 33 (observes for anything out of the ordinary, and keeps an eye out for signs of Orc movement and activity)
Prowl (58% + 20% cloak of shadows = 78%): 1d100 = 13 (Sneaks ahead to investigate signs of danger or concern, or sneaks further away into the woods if it appears they party may have an approaching encounter)
Thorgrim Cromson
H.P.: 53/53
S.D.C.: 139/139
Abilities and Equipment
Special Abilities
Berserker Fury (3x per day): +1 APM, +3 Strike, +8 Damage, +6 vs HF, +5 vs Possession & Mind Control, -3 Parry, Refuses to Dodge. Following Fury is at half Speed & Combat bonuses for 20 min.

Armor
Leather Of Iron: AR 15
S.D.C.: 110/110


Weapons
Large Iron Shield, Over-sized Claymore, Thunder Club, Thorgrim's Throwing Knives

Special Equipment
User avatar
Thorgrim
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Augur » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:28 pm

Conditions:
Date: 12 May, 345
Time: 0600 (dawn)
Environment: Cool evening, light north-to-south breeze
Location: A day's ride south of Neven

Intel
Image

Trask trades 10 pounds of flour for the unusual wooden staff. The staff is indeed finely made with an intricate pattern carved the length of it and with an exotically shaped head. The staff is incredibly heavy even for its six feet in length, so must be nearly as dense and tough as steel. Trask surmises that an incredibly strong person would likely pay handsomely for such a weapon. (10 lbs. of flour deducted from equipment)
Unusual wooden staff
Code: Select all
[b]Stonewood Long Staff[/b]
[img]http://explorersunlimited.com/images/upload/2017/07/15/20170715090650-38ae7cda.png[/img]
[size=85][list][*]Range: Close Combat
[*]Damage: 4D4
[*]Weight: 14 lbs.
[*]Features: Stonewood, 6' in length, 100 S.D.C.
[*]Modifiers: P.S. 22 or less: -3 to strike, -3 to parry
[*]Book Reference: p.59, PFRPG WB13[/list][/size]



Conditions:
Date: 12 May, 345
Time: 1900 (it will soon be dusk)
Environment: Cool evening, light east to west breeze
Location: Llornish Lowlands; two day's ride west-southwest of Neven

Intel
Image

The group travels at a consistent pace for much of the way. Passing over countless lowland hills, fording streams, finding paths through or around pockets of scattered forest, and avoiding any terrain so rough or broken that it could damage the wheels of the cart. Coordinating their efforts, they're able to stay well on track despite the less than straight path nature provides to their destination. During the heat of the day they rest and water their beasts and themselves at a nearby stream and notice a trio of heavy boot tracks in the sand which look fresh. Given the size and apparent weight of the people who made the tracks, the group surmises them to be from orcs and proceed with greater caution on the last leg of their travel.

Three hours later it's almost dusk when a bit of smoke on the horizon gives the group cause to be cautious, so they stow their wagon and beasts in the shade of a large copse of trees about a mile short of the hill which obscures the source of the smoke. Having secured their baggage, they make their way to the crest of the hill and spot the source of the smoke. There's a stone tower of about twenty feet in height attached to a small structure about half that height by a wall, and a large structure of comparable height which stands separate from them both. There are wooden palisades between the structures and a gate between the tower and the truncated remains of a wall connected to the large structure. These all create a defensive enclosure within which the orcs visible are safe from attack. There are a number of smaller, unconnected, defensive palisades beyond this ad-hoc stronghold. The tower is on the west side of the encampment and manned by a pair of orcs with their usual rough, heavy bows. The gate is just south of the tower; it's guarded by another pair of orcs. The small structure is on the north side of the encampment. The large structure is on the southeast corner of the encampment. There are a number of tents pitched inside the encampment, and outside these a number of small cook fires surrounded by orcs--the source of the light smoke. Fox can't smell the Orcs or their campfires, and notes that the orcs are downwind of their current position on the hilltop. Around the encampment are scattered trees and rough, broken terrain in all directions. A number of tree stumps provide evidence that these orcs have created those palisades from the surrounding trees. Between Thorgrim, Durak, Trask, and Fox, they figure approaching the encampment should not be difficult at night, or even during the day if done with great caution, but with the tents and enclosed structures, and the coming and going of the orcs, it's hard to pin down their exact number beyond more than a dozen, but probably less than a couple dozen. The whole stronghold looks very much to be ruins which the orcs have made into a viable, if makeshift, stronghold through a great deal of effort.

Image

What are your intentions?

GM Notes:
  • One charge deducted from Durak's sustain talisman.
  • Please, everyone deduct 1 day's food from your gear (save for Durak).
  • If you wish to scout the encampment further, please specify how, and from which direction (North, East, South, West, etc.) you wish to do so.
    • If you do, I will provide a visual map of the camp beyond text description.


Butcher's Bill
Durak:
Fox:
Thorgrim:
Trask:
"The older I get the closer Lloyd comes to making sense." ~Uncle Servo
"Well, you have been Lloyd-pilled for years." ~ Bahb Silunt
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Augur
Admin
 
Posts: 5217
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Fox » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:59 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 38 of 39%
Initiative: 1d20+3 = 11
JIC: 1d20 = 17
JIC%: 1d100 = 45

Fox gestures for the others to back down the slope and addresses them, "Orcs are not Wolfen, but they may have creatures with them, such as dogs, that are not nose dead, and the wind is carrying our scent towards the camp down there. We need a good place, somewhere that I could shoot down at them and not easily be threatened. If we have such a place, then I might be able to pick them all off with my ancient elven bow. If we could take that tower without an alarm being raised, that would be a good choice."

Military things are not his forte, but he knows his bow can fire great distances and do great damage.

Fox tells himself, You are not the best of the tribe in survival skills, but you do have the training all cubs get. Use what you can do to help.

Biology: Invalid dice code! of 70% - To get a general notion of Orc weaknesses
Climbing: Invalid dice code! of 50% - To figure out ways to climb into the fort or the watchtower
Cooking: Invalid dice code! of 60% - To figure out what amounts and kinds of supplies they will need
Dowsing: Invalid dice code! of 30% - To locate their water supplies
Holistic Medicine: Invalid dice code! of 75% - To get a general idea of the health and condition of the enemy
Holistic Medicine: Invalid dice code! of 75% - To figure out what could most easily render the enemy helpless
Identify Plants and Fruits: Invalid dice code! of 65% - To find food for us
Identify Plants and Fruits: Invalid dice code! of 65% - To find something that can poison or weaken the Orcs
Land Navigation: Invalid dice code! of 60% - To figure out the best approaches to the encampment and tower
Language: Gobbley Invalid dice code! of 98%* - To understand anything overheard
Prowl Invalid dice code! od 50% - To avoid being noticed by the Orcs
Rope Use: Invalid dice code! of 50% - to figure out how any ropes he sees in the camp are being used
Rope Use: Invalid dice code! of 50% - to see if he could cause any havoc by using ropes
Wilderness Survival Invalid dice code! - Additional checks for usable food.

He comments to Trask, "It does seem odd, the extra height would have made for a better watchtower. Perhaps the stone of the hill is flawed and unable to support the weight?"

Augur Edit: I forgot that deleting one post invalidates the dice rolls of a quoted post. The only substantive fail was Fox's Prowl skill check. Edit your posts instead of posting new ones when it's just stuff you intended to post originally. Edits are always fine up until the GM post placard goes up.
Fox the Healer
Nightvision 40'
Superior Sense of Smell and Hearing
--Hearing is as keen as a dog's and has the same range of hearing
--Recognize and Track Familiar scent 32% (+4%) range 50', re-roll every 100' (+10% if mate or offspring)
--Track Blood Scent by smell alone 42% (+4%) Range 1,000'
I.S.P.: 130/70 | H.P.: 37/37 | S.D.C.: 12/26
Horror Factor: 12 | Natural AR: 6
Studded Leather Armor: AR 13, SDC 36, -5% mobility Penalty
Fox the Healer
Image
User avatar
Fox
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:24 am

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Durak » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Perception: 53% 1d100 = 4
JIC 1d100 = 2 1d20 = 20

Conditions
OOC Comments
Sustain - Require no food, water, or breath, need only 2 hours of sleep/night. Can survive almost all environmental conditions - day 2 of 5


Durak brings the cart to a halt as they find their destination marked by smoke. He stows the cart and makes an effort to conceal the cart and donkey, though not so much that any effort of searching would not be successful. Let's not make it easy for people to find the cart
OOC Comments
No concealment skill



As they move up the hill and see the encampment, Durak lays down on the ground and motions for the others to join him.

"We should observe them first," he says, trying to look closely at the repairs, "certainly organised enough to have a camp capable of holding off militia units. he strokes his beard as he looks, "Only a small group for all the trouble they have been causing, but certainly far too many to deal with in one go. I wonder if this is their full strength or there more raiding parties like the one you three encountered out there?"

As Fox beckons them back down the hill, Durak shuffles down to them, trying to make sure to not attract attention.

Fox wrote:Orcs are not Wolfen, but they may have creatures with them, such as dogs, that are not nose dead, and the wind is carrying our scent towards the camp down there. We need a good place, somewhere that I could shoot down at them and not easily be threatened. If we have such a place, then I might be able to pick them all off with my ancient elven bow. If we could take that tower without an alarm being raised, that would be a good choice."


Durak pulls out his book of paper and quill and ink. "Before we attack, we should scout their defenses first. Find their weak spots and exploit those rather than a headlong assault, which would be very bloody for us."

OOC Comments
Language: Gobblely 71% 1d100 = 5 - listening to any shouting and deciphering
Language: Native (Dwarven) 129% (+5%) 1d100 = 55 - if they happen to use these languages
Language: Human: Eastern 71% - 1d100 = 94
Prowl 66% - 1d100 = 13 if we have to sneak around
Intelligence 44% 1d100 = 54 - piece together their movements and extrapolate
Masonry 66% (+5%) 1d100 = 7 evaluating the work done on the encampment and looking for weaknesses
Carpentry 61% (+5%) 1d100 = 56 evaluating the work done on the encampment and looking for weaknesses
Durak
HP 40
SDC 59
Cloak of protection AR12 SDC 50 Impervious to Fire
Bracers AR15
Constant Effects: Nightvision 90ft,
Description: Tall for a Dwarf, with a mottled red/brown beard. His shoulders are generally down as he tries not to attract attention to himself
User avatar
Durak
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:36 am

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Tolliver Trask » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:44 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 83/62%
Just in Case: 1d20 = 11; 1d100 = 32
Conditions: Immune to Fire, Resistant to Cold, Sixth Sense.



Powers Activated:
Night Vision (4 I.S.P.; Duration: 60 minutes, Range: 600'.)



Skills:
Climb/Scale Walls 1d100 = 52/80% or 75% (Making a educated guess at how hard it would be to climb the walls of the camp.)
Detect Ambush 1d100 = 58/55% (To see if anyone is preparing to ambush us.)
Detect Concealment & Traps 1d100 = 81/50% (To see if there is anything concealed on the approach)
Prowl 1d100 = 49/50% (To keep hidden)
Land Navigation 1d100 = 46/42% (To map out the safest route to the Camp)
Additional Perception: 1d100 = 17/62% (To listen for signs of guard animals in the camp.)
Language: Other: Gobbely 1d100 = 44/65% (To translate any Orc speech he may overhear.)



Fox wrote:"Orcs are not Wolfen, but they may have creatures with them, such as dogs, that are not nose dead, and the wind is carrying our scent towards the camp down there. We need a good place, somewhere that I could shoot down at them and not easily be threatened. If we have such a place, then I might be able to pick them all off with my ancient elven bow. If we could take that tower without an alarm being raised, that would be a good choice."


Trask nods. "You're options are really the tower or the roof of one of those buildings. I guess this hill, if they come charging us." Trask affirms by what he can see below. "Strange that who ever built the tower originally built over there instead of on the tallest point." Trask muses aloud.

Durak wrote:"We should observe them first," he says, trying to look closely at the repairs, "certainly organised enough to have a camp capable of holding off militia units. he strokes his beard as he looks, "Only a small group for all the trouble they have been causing, but certainly far too many to deal with in one go. I wonder if this is their full strength or there more raiding parties like the one you three encountered out there?"


Trask again nods. "Agreed, we should give it another day, get a better count on their numbers, and see if they have any outriders currently out." Trask says quietly to the group. "We should do shifts and get plenty of rest." Trask says, dredging up decades of experience.

Durak wrote:"Before we attack, we should scout their defenses first. Find their weak spots and exploit those rather than a headlong assault, which would be very bloody for us."


Once again Trask nods. "Spoken like a true Sapper. Definitely something we should do, especially if we find them to inattentive." Trask says in response.

Trask will spend his time watching the camp, making notes on basic descriptors of the Orcs he see's in hope of differentiating them from each other as to get a better count of their numbers. Trask also looks for traps in the approach and listens for the possibility of dogs.
Suicide King
Tolliver Trask
"Tonight, boys, we're eating like kings. We've all tasted death too much it seems." ~Shawn James
P.P.E.: 10/10
I.S.P.: 38/38
H.P.: 39/39
S.D.C.: 71/71
Constant Effects
Sixth Sense, Impervious to Fire, Resistant to Cold.
Temporary Effects
None.
Weapons in Hand
Dwarven Longsword
Armor Worn
Mjorgullan Mail Uncommon Enchanted Splint (half)
• A.R.: 12
• S.D.C.: 40/40
Tower Shield of the Hex Rare Enchanted Large Wood & Metal Plated Shield
• Indestructible
User avatar
Tolliver Trask
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Thorgrim » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Per (63%. Or 88% to detect weather/environmental hazards and recognize plants, roots, insects for nourishment. Or 78% recognize animal aggression.):1d100 = 58
JiC: 1d20 = 7 / 1d100 = 34

Thorgrim offers to head back and keep a 'first watch' on their cart... I'm glad we're not rushing into this. Wise to keep watch on this place... find out what vulnerabilities may turn up. As he leaves the others he offers, "Perhaps no more than another one to two days of reconnaissance here, methinks. Let's see what we can learn before we do anything too hasty, eh?"

Land Navigation (71%): 1d100 = 65 (Identifies where they actually are and helps mark it on Fox's map. Identifies all routes in and out of the fortress location.)
Astronomy and Navigation (53%): 1d100 = 63 (Identifies all routes in and out of the fortress location.)
Climbing (83%): 1d100 = 6 (Scales any vertical obstacles he has to in order to scout/infiltrate)
Swimming (83%): 1d100 = 23 (Swims any water obstacles he has to in order to scout/infiltrate)
Prowl (58% + 20% cloak of shadows = 78%): 1d100 = 69 (Avoids detection)

Dowsing (48%): 1d100 = 12 (identify a water source for he and his companions to use. Identify the water source which the Orcs are using)
Fishing (53%): 1d100 = 46 (If he identifies a spot to fish he'll see if he can catch anything to eat or for later use)
Wilderness Survival (78%): 1d100 = 71 (observes for anything out of the ordinary, and keeps an eye out for signs of Orc movement and activity)
Identify Plants & Fruits (43%): 1d100 = 24 (in addition to perception roll related to this, Thor looks for food, storing anything in abundance as a snack/meal for later)
Identify Plants & Fruits (43%): 1d100 = 32 (Thor takes a second attempt to ensure whatever he grabs does in-fact appear to be safe for consumption... Thor will take a couple test bites before deciding to keep or share it. He doesn't want to give everyone the shits again)
Save vs Non-lethal Poison: 1d20+8 = 28 (vs food poisoning again...)
Save vs Lethal Poison: 1d20+8 = 28 (vs food poisoning again...)
Thorgrim Cromson
H.P.: 53/53
S.D.C.: 139/139
Abilities and Equipment
Special Abilities
Berserker Fury (3x per day): +1 APM, +3 Strike, +8 Damage, +6 vs HF, +5 vs Possession & Mind Control, -3 Parry, Refuses to Dodge. Following Fury is at half Speed & Combat bonuses for 20 min.

Armor
Leather Of Iron: AR 15
S.D.C.: 110/110


Weapons
Large Iron Shield, Over-sized Claymore, Thunder Club, Thorgrim's Throwing Knives

Special Equipment
User avatar
Thorgrim
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Augur » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:06 am

Conditions:
Date: 12 May, 345
Time: 2200
Environment: Chilly night, light east to west breeze, gathering storm clouds
Location: Llornish Lowlands; two day's ride west-southwest of Neven

Intel
Image

The group takes turns slipping quietly down the hillside and scouting out the perimeter of the stronghold.

Durak keeps his ears peeled as well as his eyes and listens for any shouting or otherwise audible and discernible communications from the orcs which may be of value. While nothing of tactical import in conveyed, he does note that the orcish term for "Chieftain" is used a number of times by what he can only assume are subordinate orcs. The stronghold's masonry is ancient, and looks to be in bad shape. Still, those ancient masons did great work, and some of it seems to have stood the test of time. There's a section along the eastern side where the stalwart wall is missing and only a wooden palisade stands. Likewise, the gate on the western side is built into a palisade which is a recent stop-gap for missing walls as well. In addition, short palisades have been erected along the top of the masonry in places to fill in for missing crenelation. The palisades themselves are exactly what one would expect of such: crude, but effective. (Critical perception) In addition, while he's stalking around he overhears two orcs speaking of a patrol due to return tomorrow night, and the need to send out foraging parties on the morrow to scour the local area for tubers, game, and anything else to feed the tribes. Based on the nature of the discussion, at least one of the two speaking sounds as though he's a chieftain, but the other voice doesn't express itself in a subordinate manner, so it's unclear what this entails.

Trask errs on the side of stealth, and so leaves much of his heavier, noisier gear behind with Thorgrim while he takes his turn stalking the perimeter of the compound. The northern and southern walls are solid, so climbing them would at least be secure, but likely difficult. On the flip side, the east and west walls are the most damaged and supplemented with palisades, so climbing them would be easier, but potentially more dangerous given the make-shift nature of their construction. The walls of masonry are about fifteen feet high or so, the tower another ten or so on top of that, but the palisade wall sections built to replace whole missing sections of masonry are only about ten or twelve feet high. Like most palisades, they are protected from charges from long, sharpened stakes. To make matters worse, they look to be smeared with something foul-smelling. On a positive note, he hears absolutely no sound of any animal coming from within the stronghold; not a dog or horse can be heard neighing or barking.

Fox knows nothing of orcish biology, and can't figure how such would help him in any case. He does know that they have fair nightvision and a good sense of smell, especially for blood. As with any vertical structure of moderate height, the best way Fox knows of the scale such walls is with a ladder. Barring the availability of such, a grappling hook and sufficient rope is not the worst substitute. How much and of what supplies the group will need in uncertain as how long they will need to stay in the area is uncertain. Orcs are a bit more hardy than humans regarding toxins, but other than being somewhat more stupid, somewhat more brave, and vastly more vicious on average than humans, he's not aware of any significant differences regarding their vulnerability to toxins. There's little to no edible plant life in the area save for the bark of the trees they're using for cover which can be used to make a bitter and unpleasant tasting, but nerve-settling tea. Most of the rope in evidence from the exterior of the camp is used as weaved lashing to bind together sections of palisade. (Critical prowl) Fox is able slip in so close that he's able to overhear a rather unclear conversation in which Hadrian's Cove is mentioned along with the Eastern word for "castle."

Thorgrim verifies that the mark on Fox's map is accurate at scale. The rumored "ruins of a tower" indeed match the location of the stronghold they've located. He also notes that this is clearly not intended to be a long-term encampment as there's only one readily accessible exit or entrance: the western gate. Stealthily climbing a tree, he's able to get a somewhat better vantage of the inside of the stronghold and notes that there are a couple of tents just inside the gate. Clearly, the orcs do not have formal military training and discipline from the placement of such as the tents could easily obstruct large tactical movements. He's disappointed to find there's no nearby source of water though there are signs that this area once was home to a number of streams; they're all dried up now. There's little to no edible plant life in the area and evidence that the orcs have been gradually denuding the land around this area of anything edible in an expanding circle of devastation.

The four members of the team each return in kind from their forays without, they believe, the orcs in the stronghold being any the wiser. They hike back the mile to the wagon, Garrick, and Bill to share what they each learned.

Stronghold Area at Night
Image


What are your intentions?

GM Notes:
  • If a skill roll was not addressed, it's because you either failed it in a non-spectacular manner, or else it was duplicated by another character.


Butcher's Bill

Durak:
Fox:
Thorgrim:
Trask:
"The older I get the closer Lloyd comes to making sense." ~Uncle Servo
"Well, you have been Lloyd-pilled for years." ~ Bahb Silunt
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Augur
Admin
 
Posts: 5217
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey

Re: Episode 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Group B)

Postby Fox » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 93 of 42%
Initiative: 1d20+3 = 9
JIC: 1d20 = 15
JIC%: 1d100 = 70

After thinking about what he knows of Orcs, Fox says, "The Orcs are believed to have been created by magic in the ancient past from much the same base stock as Goblins and Kobolds and are thought to be the third form. Goblins were likely the first form, but they were too undisciplined. Kobolds were too independent and intelligent. The Orcs are thought to be the final form, strong and disciplined, but loyal to a strong leader. They have no magic, not even mind magic, but breed fast and can survive on a varied diet. They have limited night vision but good day vision."

He adds, "It looks like they have stripped this area pretty bare of edibles, they will either have to move or start raiding the nearby town for food."

He states, "Given night vision is part of my mind magic, I would attack by night, using the greater range of my vision and my magical bow. I would plot escape routes in advance that I can follow using my ability to float, which the Orcs can not easily follow. I might, for example, dig a deep pit and mix water and earth together to create a mud pit that would trap those who walk through it."

He looks at the others, thinking, Let us see of the others have better ideas.

Wilderness Survival (60%) 1d100 = 72 To figure out how to lay traps
Fox the Healer
Nightvision 40'
Superior Sense of Smell and Hearing
--Hearing is as keen as a dog's and has the same range of hearing
--Recognize and Track Familiar scent 32% (+4%) range 50', re-roll every 100' (+10% if mate or offspring)
--Track Blood Scent by smell alone 42% (+4%) Range 1,000'
I.S.P.: 130/70 | H.P.: 37/37 | S.D.C.: 12/26
Horror Factor: 12 | Natural AR: 6
Studded Leather Armor: AR 13, SDC 36, -5% mobility Penalty
Fox the Healer
Image
User avatar
Fox
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:24 am

Previous

Return to Fantasy Adventures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest