First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Townsend » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Dawson Springs

Captain Cullen provides more details on the timeline of events regarding the disappearance of the Magic Miner. He also produces an image of the vehicle:

Magic Miner 02.png


Between his details and the information the G.I.R.L.S. have obtained from other sources (Fixer, Becky, Czervowski’s terminal, etc.) a rough composite timeline breaks down as follows:

  • Tuesday, December 24, 110 PA: Bella Venezia arrives in Cadiz needing a tire/wheel repair
  • Friday, January 03, 111 PA: Thomas Czervowski gets parts in for Bella's repairs
  • Thursday, January 09, 111 PA: Bella Venezia leaves Cadiz; Magic Miner discovered missing from secure garage shortly after 0600, prompting quiet internal investigation. Beshear Point Mine is the first place they investigate, but there is no tangible sign of the vehicle at the site.
  • Wednesday, January 15, 111 PA: Dawson Springs suspends internal investigation regarding theft of Magic Miner and decides to contract out
  • Thursday, January 16, 111 PA: Bernard & Bianca Reitherman leave Cadiz "on a lead"
  • Friday, January 17, 111 PA: Courier from Dawson Springs leaves for MercTown to arrange contract with Merc Ops
  • Monday, January 20, 111 PA: Last time Fixer heard from Sulley, and the Reithermans are the only ones missing from Cadiz; Merc Ops opens contract for Merc Ops
  • Tuesday, January 21, 111 PA: Cullen learns of the Reithermans being gone from Cadiz from mechanic Thomas Czervowski, who came to Dawson Springs searching for some motorcycle parts and who headed out back to Cadiz that same day
  • Wednesday, January 29, 111 PA: Master Roshi succumbs to "the call" and is the last resident to leave Cadiz
  • Tuesday, February 04, 111 PA: Griswold, the owner of Dawson Springs' main garage, leaves for MercTown on monthly supply run. He should be back sometime Friday.
  • Wednesday, February 05, 111 PA: GIRLS accept the Dawson Springs contract as well as Fixer Jones' request to check on Cadiz residents
  • Thursday, February 06, 111 PA (TODAY): GIRLS reach Cadiz; reach Dawson Springs and Beshear Point Mine later in the day

((OOC: I’m assuming that along the way one of y’all will twig onto the idea of compiling notes into something like this. You’re welcome.))

Cullen pulls out his radio and calls for Constable Varrick to join them. The dwarf’s sour expression hasn’t improved any -- if anything it’s worsened -- but he seems to be fairly forthcoming with details.

  • The locks to the garage did not appear to have been forced or tampered with.
  • The garage has some additional security measures (cameras, motion sensors, etc.) focused on/directed at the approach to the garage doors. The camera feeds recorded nothing unusual in the hours between the previous patrol after the last shift change and when Varrick came by to do his rounds that morning.
  • The Magic Miner was kept in a bay with a chain link gate. The padlock appeared to have been either crudely cut off or possibly pulled apart.
  • There were no tracks leading out from the bay, but there were some odd X-shaped skid marks where the Magic Miner was sitting.
  • Beshear Point Mine was the first place they investigated. The only treasure seekers at the mine were a group of dwarves with the standard statement of “looking for the rumored treasure but haven’t found anything yet.” The only tracked vehicle tracks at the mine entrance matched up to one of their vehicles, a converted Northern Gun Cargonaut.
  • All local garages, warehouses, and any locations big enough to house the Magic Miner were investigated as quietly as possible after its disappearance -- even Griswold’s, who had the contract to work on the city’s vehicles and who was one of the few outside of the city’s government cleared to access the secure garage. No traces of the Miner were found inside the city.

Susan Lee wrote:"Standard earth warlock mining equipment, understood. Phallic. Did you happen to put a tracking device inside this extremely expensive vehicle of yours? Did it come standard-equipped with anything like that?"


Cullen shakes his head. "I suppose that seems rather a no-brainer in hindsight, but my predecessor figured if someone did manage to learn the vehicle's location, breach the security, get the vehicle running, and successfully drive it out of the garage it could easily be tracked." He sighs. "Captain Meredith was a good soldier and her heart was in the right place, but she was prone to placing too much confidence in her abilities."

Susan Lee wrote:When he mentions Griswold having left, she stares at him for a moment. "So a giant machine disappears and the person who handles repairing the largest machines leaves the next day. Did you check him out before he left or send someone to take a peek into his shop?"


Cullen raises an eyebrow. "One, Master Griswold only left day before yesterday and the Miner went missing almost a month ago. Two, he was thoroughly vetted before he was awarded the contract to service the city's vehicles. Three, yes of course we questioned him along with his staff and investigated his business."

Susan Lee wrote:"Did you check for Bigby's Sulphrous Transmigration?!?" she interjects suddenly, and rudely.


Cullen's patience is clearly starting to wear thin with Susan at this point. "I am not a mage, Doctor Lee..." he says with discernible effort at remaining calm and professional. "I am a soldier who knows the ways of the sword, the gun, and the robot. I am a man tasked with the security and well-being of Dawson Springs' citizens and I am a man trying his sincere best to extend every reasonable ounce of professional courtesy he can to the group that has agreed to investigate this theft and hopefully succeed where our regular resources have failed to turn up any leads. If your group happens to have a mage on its roster, then I would be more than happy to escort him or her down into the secure garage so that he or she may check for this 'transmigration' you mentioned."

He looks at the group. “Now, do you have any further questions for us?”



Beshear Point Mine

Jez lines out a plan of action, which results in affirmations from Fiona and Analoy while Corrigan only shrugs. “I’ll try if you need me, but it’s not like all us dwarves are in the same dwarf-only club.”

Analoy wrote:When Jez starts to head down, Analoy turns to Becky, Fiona and Corrigan. She was going to just nod to the women, but she notices just how uncomfortable Fiona looks. Giving Becky a smile, she says, "I'm going down there. You stick with Fiona. She'll keep you safe." Analoy turns to Fiona, "We'll give the comms a double click when its safe to come down. Even still, try to stay out of sight as much as possible. Corrigan, if this doesn't go as planned, charge down like you own the place. Your size should confuse them long enough to get things done." Provided they really are all dwarves and it doesn't turn out that dwarves just happened to be the ones that came to the town. But given the guard... She lets her speculation trail off as she turns and starts to slink down toward the mine entrance shadowing Jez.


“Ahhh-firmative,” Becky gives a salute and moves closer to Fiona. “Don’t worry, Miss Fiona, Newt and I will help. Just tell us what to do. I can hit things pretty hard when I want to, but usually I just hit them hard enough to knock them away…” a sheepish expression crosses her face. “I’m real sorry about hitting Miss Jez at the window. She scared me is all. I’m glad I didn’t hurt her.” She looks up at Fiona’s arms and chest. “Your tattoos don’t look like Miss Analoy’s. Do they tell a story? Do they give you powers? Master Roshi says some people have magic tattoos that gives them powers. He calls them ‘Atty-tea-lans’ or something like that.”

((OOC: If Fiona passes her perception check this round, she notices that one of the vehicles parked by the entrance is a TW Zone Ranger that more or less matches the one Czervowski raved about in his terminal logs.))

Meanwhile, Jez puts her extraterrestrial Special Ops skills to the test and makes her way swiftly and quietly to the impromptu watchtower without any signs that her presence has been detected -- her confidence boosted by hearing the not-so-soft sounds of snoring coming from the watchtower itself. Her approach is soundless as she comes up behind the guard, but suddenly his snoring changes into a shudder as he suddenly wakes back up and springs to his feet. It’s a wasted gesture though as with seemingly little more than a flick of Jez’s wrists the garrote is around his neck. Well, around his neck and his beard… but it’s still in a place where it can do exactly what she threatens to do.
The guard nods slowly and whispers somewhat nervously. “P-p-please don’t. I’ll tell you everything I know. I don’t want to die. The boss doesn’t pay me enough to risk my neck like this…” he tries to force out a nervous laugh, but it dies as a gurgle in his throat.

Analoy follows along behind Jez and similarly avoids obvious detection as she approaches the watchtower. She’s got a decent view of Jez coming up behind the guard when he suddenly jumps to his feet and looks around. He seems to make eye contact with her for only a moment before Jez gets his full undivided attention.

From her vantage point, Fiona can see the events unfold at the watchtower as well. At her side she can hear Becky giggle softly. “See Newt? They know what they’re doing. I told you.”
GM of the General Investigation, Resolution & Liberation Services (G.I.R.L.S.) of Merctown

Image

"...and now they work for me."
User avatar
Townsend
Game Master
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:47 am

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Susan Lee » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 88
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 19 / 1d100 = 31

Susan takes a long blink at Commander McSkinner. Definitely not in on it and no magical knowledge.

Then a huge grin splits her face. "Thank you for your candor!" she says. "Perhaps I missed something, but I don't think you told us about Captain Meredith before or what happened to her?"

She motions for Kat to step aside, then when they're 'private,' she loudly whispers, "We should check the large vehicle repair business again in case they needed parts after stealing the vehicle. I have a feeling it's still near the town. Also, does the weird track marks sound like something big picked up the Warlock Burrower and carried it away?"
It's DNA, all the way down.

H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Fiona » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Perception: EP Success.
Just in Case: 1d20 = 10, 1d100 = 32
Conditions: None.

Fiona nods at the commentary about waiting till things are clear. When Becky moves closer Fiona smiles at the girl. "For the moment dear we're going to keep quietish and wait for Miss Jez and Analoy to deal with the guards." When Becky expresses remorse for accidentally attacking Jez. "She's a tough lady, she's just fine and you were just defending yourself from strangers." Fiona says like someone may to a little sister, not that Fiona has ever had one.

"My tattoos? oh some of them tell a story, like this one." Fiona says while pointing at a angel wreathed in flames with a silhouette of a big block engine behind it. "This is the Angel of Combustion, she's the patron of automobiles, she wants me to build the greatest vehicle ever. While this one..." Fiona says while pointing to a bronzed skinned hunchback, with a massive hammer before a blackened anvil. "Is the Forge Father, he is the god of creations, he guides those that create things. I have a few more that have meaning, but... they're a little harder to show you while wearing this outfit." Fiona says.

She doesn't need to know about The Lord of Fire... He's a bit macabre for a child, and I doubt she's understand the concept of Black on Black. Fiona thinks while keeping an eye on the situation with the sentry. Hmmm... that Zone Ranger, Czervowski wrote about one. I wonder if it's the same?
Fiona
"On I burn, Fuel is pumping engines, Burning hard, loose and clean, And on I burn, Churning my direction, Quench my thirst with gasoline." ~Fuel by Metallica.

Fi
HP: 25/25, S.D.C.: 22/22, I.S.P.: 138/138, P.P.E.: 7/7
Armor
T-11 Enhanced Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
• Helmet: 70/70, Left Arm: 60/60, Right Arm: 60/60, Left Leg: 80/80, Right Leg: 80/80, Main Body: 100/100
Modifiers: -5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +10 to Spd, +10' to leaps, +10% to climb, reduce rate of fatigue by 50%. Takes 2D4+4 melees to suit-up.
Weapons
NG-35 Heavy Laser Pistol
Payload: 14 shots/14
Vehicle
Road Buster Armored Combat Truck
M.D.C. Main Body – 245
Current Conditions
None.
User avatar
Fiona
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:26 pm
Location: G.I.R.L.S. of Merctown Member

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Analoy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:11 am

Percep 55%: 1d100 = 10
JIC: 1d20 = 9 1d100 = 98

Force Field: 36/150 min duration, 80/80 MDC

Prowl 60%=1d100 = 7

Analoy gives the dwarf a smile when he makes eye contact, which only grows a bit bigger when it serves as a distraction for Jez and she gets the better on him. Analoy then continues to slink in toward the guard's post. Sliding up next to the vehicle being used for it's elevated position, Analoy mutters up to Jez, "Does he know where everyone is? Are they down in the mine?"

Analoy scans the area to see if their are any other guards they missed when they were looking over the camp.
If she see someone else, Analoy will motion to Jez of the other person's presence and then sneak off toward the person as she pulls her net gun out.

If no one else can be seen, Analoy will say, "Still looks clear out here. I'll go find some rope or a place we can lock him up." Frak, I really should start carrying some zip ties or handcuffs. Not used to that though, when I played the bad guy with Master K'Sarlex it was almost always just beat them unconscious. Couldn't go looking weak in front of the Sploog minions.
Analoy Landie
Current Details
P.P.E.: 227/202
M.D.C.: 196/196
Charm/Impress: 20%
User avatar
Analoy
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Jezebel » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Perception: 71% / 1d100 = 42
JIC: 1d20 = 13 / 1d100 = 57
Interrogation ☞ 90% / 1d100 = 55 (to get the info she wants)
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88% / 1d100 = 50 (to persuade him of the truth of her stated intentions)

Townsend wrote:Jez puts her extraterrestrial Special Ops skills to the test and makes her way swiftly and quietly to the impromptu watchtower without any signs that her presence has been detected -- her confidence boosted by hearing the not-so-soft sounds of snoring coming from the watchtower itself. Her approach is soundless as she comes up behind the guard, but suddenly his snoring changes into a shudder as he suddenly wakes back up and springs to his feet. It’s a wasted gesture though as with seemingly little more than a flick of Jez’s wrists the garrote is around his neck. Well, around his neck and his beard… but it’s still in a place where it can do exactly what she threatens to do. The guard nods slowly and whispers somewhat nervously. “P-p-please don’t. I’ll tell you everything I know. I don’t want to die. The boss doesn’t pay me enough to risk my neck like this…” he tries to force out a nervous laugh, but it dies as a gurgle in his throat. Analoy follows along behind Jez and similarly avoids obvious detection as she approaches the watchtower. She’s got a decent view of Jez coming up behind the guard when he suddenly jumps to his feet and looks around. He seems to make eye contact with her for only a moment before Jez gets his full undivided attention.

Analoy wrote:Analoy gives the dwarf a smile when he makes eye contact, which only grows a bit bigger when it serves as a distraction for Jez and she gets the better on him. Analoy then continues to slink in toward the guard's post. Sliding up next to the vehicle being used for it's elevated position, Analoy mutters up to Jez, "Does he know where everyone is? Are they down in the mine?" If no one else can be seen, Analoy will say, "Still looks clear out here. I'll go find some rope or a place we can lock him up."

First, a reminder of Setis' power and constant nearness. Jez keeps her voice low, intimidating, and intimate. She responds to Analoy, but is clearly also speaking to the guard. "We're about to find out, partner. This here guard wisely lives by the principle of self-interest. Nothing is of value if you're dead. Right, friend?" She eases back on the garrote just enough to allow the guard ample room to breath and speak. And then we reveal the might of Vinayaka's influence on the mortal realm. "If you deal straight with me, the worst that will happen is we might have to knock you out with a drug. If you don't deal straight, I remove your head from your body and bury each separately after the wildlife have picked your bones clean." Jez smiles. "We only want information from you. Not your life. So...some questions. First off: are you required to check in periodically, and if so, how long do we have until your next check-in? Second: We're looking for the townsfolk from Cadiz. Tell me everything you know about where they are and what happened to cause them to leave Cadiz. Third: who's in the mine, what are they after, and how would they respond to us entering the mine plain as day?"
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, go to PayPal then make your donation to: lloyd.ritchey@gmail.com
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/950
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Analoy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:56 am

[rolls held]

Charm/Impress: 20%=1d100 = 87

Analoy puts on an evil grin, making sure the guy can see her, she says, "I'd do what she says buddy. From what I hear, the last guy she dealt with ended up in a dumpster with a broken neck. He may or may not have been dead at the time."

Finished with her taunting of the captured man, Analoy slips away to check over the mine entrance area and to find a place to stash their new friend.
Analoy Landie
Current Details
P.P.E.: 227/202
M.D.C.: 196/196
Charm/Impress: 20%
User avatar
Analoy
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Cordelia » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:25 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 98
JIC: 1d20 = 17
JIC: 1d100 = 74

Cordelia is taking notes. Writing it all down. She made a few sketches of the Captain and his surroundings. She sketched a map of the area. She was so busy writing it down she almost didn't look at it. She paused looked at it sideways and started chewing on her pencil eraser. She look over to Kat. Nods a little but says nothing. Time to move.
User avatar
Cordelia
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Kat Porter » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:30 am

Perception 56%: 1d100 = 39
JIC d20: 1d20 = 19
JIC d100: 1d100 = 65



"This Meredith was your predecessor, I assume?" Kat jots the name down with a question mark next to it.

"I'd like to examine the scene of the crime, if you'd be so kind."

When the hour is up Kat makes a call on the radio to Jez and her team. "Howdy, partner. We got some information, and more importantly- we've got a timeline of events. How's things on your end?"
Do Not PM this account. PM Tyrannosapiens Rex.

Kat Porter

P.P.E.: 19
H.P.: 24
S.D.C.: 39
Perception Bonus: +5
Charm/Impress: 20%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 65%
User avatar
Kat Porter
Group Leader
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:18 pm
Location: Rifts PC (G.I.R.L.S. of MercTown)

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Townsend » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:48 pm

At the end of the post, the time will be…

The Weatherman wrote:Wednesday, February 5th, 111 PA
11:00am (sunrise was at 5:34am, sunset estimated at 5:22pm)
Roughly 1 hour has passed since the group split up; time for checking in
44 degrees F (projected high of 46)



On Today's Episode of 'CSI: Dawson Springs...'

Kat Porter wrote:"This Meredith was your predecessor, I assume?" Kat jots the name down with a question mark next to it.

Susan Lee wrote:Then a huge grin splits her face. "Thank you for your candor!" she says. "Perhaps I missed something, but I don't think you told us about Captain Meredith before or what happened to her?"


Cullen nods. “Captain Ruth Meredith. I’m told she was a Juicer from up Ishpeming way. Claimed to be one of those new ‘Mega-Juicers’ like what they just recently started making out in Kingsdale. Personally I had my doubts when I first signed on, but she was a lot stronger and tougher than any other Juicer I’ve ever encountered. I’ve seen her take laser blasts that would have blown a hole straight through my armor, and it only made her mad. Unfortunately about a year after I got here she started going through what I guess they call ‘last call’ -- only it wasn’t like anything like I’d seen or heard about. First sign was her eyes started glowing really bright. So bright you could see them through her sunglasses. Then the rest of her started to glow and would start to burn anyone who so much as shook her hand. Wasn’t long after that she started to turn the ground she walked on into lava. Finally met her end when we were taking out a gang of raiders camped out on the local roads. She was slugging it out toe-to-toe with a couple of Larmacs in the thick of their camp when suddenly she just… blew up.” He makes an explosion gesture with his hands. “She literally exploded like a detonated fusion block clamped to a fuel tank. Reduced those Larmacs to cinders and melted the armor off the APC they were fighting next to.” He shook his head. “The raiders just threw down their guns and surrendered; I guess they were afraid we’d send more suicide bombers after them.”

Kat Porter wrote:"I'd like to examine the scene of the crime, if you'd be so kind."


“I figured you might,” Cullen says as he stands up. “I’ll need to make some calls to get it set up, please excuse me a moment.” He and Varrick step outside giving Kat, Susan and Cordelia an opportunity to briefly confab amongst themselves for a few minutes before the sound of a hovercraft can be heard outside the door and Cullen comes back inside. “Ladies, if you’ll come with me I’ll take you to the ‘scene of the crime’ as you called it.” Outside is an NG knock-off of a CS Command Car (re-painted to look like a classic police car) with a constable manning the tail gunner station. Cullen takes the pilot’s seat and gestures for the G.I.R.L.S. to climb in as well.

Image

A few minutes later the group finds itself gliding into the secured garage where the Magic Miner was kept. Its bay has crime scene tape across the front and it doesn’t appear to have been disturbed since the theft was discovered. Those who pass their perception checks will notice that what’s left of the padlock is still remaining, hanging on the gate like a mangled decoration and from close inspection it looks like it was physically torn in two. The skid marks are still there as well, with the scratches in the concrete floor being deeper at the outside edges and getting shallower as they go inward. They stop altogether about two feet from each other.

As they inspect the crime scene, it becomes time for the check-in with the other team so Kat whistles up her extraterrestrial business partner to share what her group has found.


Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justic -- er, ah, Beshear Point Mine…

Fiona wrote:"My tattoos? oh some of them tell a story, like this one." Fiona says while pointing at a angel wreathed in flames with a silhouette of a big block engine behind it. "This is the Angel of Combustion, she's the patron of automobiles, she wants me to build the greatest vehicle ever. While this one..." Fiona says while pointing to a bronzed skinned hunchback, with a massive hammer before a blackened anvil. "Is the Forge Father, he is the god of creations, he guides those that create things. I have a few more that have meaning, but... they're a little harder to show you while wearing this outfit." Fiona says.


Becky perks up at the mention of the Forge Father. “Oh I’ve seen him before -- Mister Tom has him on his arm,” she says as she points to her bicep. “He likes to take off his shirt to work when it gets hot in his garage. He’s got as many tattoos as you and Miss An’loy.”

Becky giggles at the mention of Fiona having to take off her outfit to show more tats. “I wouldn’t, you’ll get cold like Miss An’loy. She says she doesn’t get cold, but I bet she does and just says that so she’ll sound tough.”

Speaking of Analoy…

Analoy wrote:"Does he know where everyone is? Are they down in the mine?" If no one else can be seen, Analoy will say, "Still looks clear out here. I'll go find some rope or a place we can lock him up."


After a few minutes of rifling around in some of the vehicles (or at least in the various tool boxes/saddlebags/etc attached to their exteriors) while Jez questions their prisoner, Analoy finds a length of sturdy-looking rope.

Jezebel wrote:Jez keeps her voice low, intimidating, and intimate. She responds to Analoy, but is clearly also speaking to the guard. "We're about to find out, partner. This here guard wisely lives by the principle of self-interest. Nothing is of value if you're dead. Right, friend?" She eases back on the garrote just enough to allow the guard ample room to breathe and speak. And then we reveal the might of Vinayaka's influence on the mortal realm. "If you deal straight with me, the worst that will happen is we might have to knock you out with a drug. If you don't deal straight, I remove your head from your body and bury each separately after the wildlife have picked your bones clean." Jez smiles. "We only want information from you. Not your life. So...some questions. First off: are you required to check in periodically, and if so, how long do we have until your next check-in? Second: We're looking for the townsfolk from Cadiz. Tell me everything you know about where they are and what happened to cause them to leave Cadiz. Third: who's in the mine, what are they after, and how would they respond to us entering the mine plain as day?"


“Y-y-yeah, sure, whatever you say…” the dwarf nervously whispers. “Look, I ain’t no murderer. I ain’t no slaver. I’m just a guy with five kids to feed back home and needed the money. Alright?” He takes a gulp and a breath now that his throat’s not as closed off. “Yeah, I gotta check in every half hour. Just checked in a few minutes ago. There’s a bunch of folks out here helping us in the mine. I dunno if they’re from Cadiz or not. They all just started showing up, like they got some big invite or something. The boss said she’d put out a call for help finding the treasure. I didn’t ask how. All I know is I ain’t no miner, and they were.” He takes another long breath with his eyes closed, almost as if he’s trying to hold back tears. “Please… that’s all I know. I don’t get paid to ask questions. The boss says ‘shoot that,’ I shoot that. The boss says ‘go stand guard,’ I go stand guard. The boss say something and I ask why, she puts her boot up against my head and says ‘I don’t pay you to think, Monroe.’”

Right about that time, Jez hears Kat’s voice on her comlink (as do Fiona and Analoy):

Kat Porter wrote:"Howdy, partner. We got some information, and more importantly- we've got a timeline of events. How's things on your end?"



What are you doing?
GM of the General Investigation, Resolution & Liberation Services (G.I.R.L.S.) of Merctown

Image

"...and now they work for me."
User avatar
Townsend
Game Master
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:47 am

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Jezebel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 am

Perception: 71% / 1d100 = 85
JIC: 1d20 = 18 / 1d100 = 15
Find Contraband and Illegal Weapons ☞ 73% / 1d100 = 20 (to find anything Monroe is hiding)
Detect Concealment ☞ 75% / 1d100 = 8 (to find anything Monroe is hiding)
Interrogation ☞ 90% / 1d100 = 46 (self-evident)
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88% / 1d100 = 6 (self-evident)

Townsend wrote:“Y-y-yeah, sure, whatever you say…” the dwarf nervously whispers. “Look, I ain’t no murderer. I ain’t no slaver. I’m just a guy with five kids to feed back home and needed the money. Alright?” He takes a gulp and a breath now that his throat’s not as closed off. “Yeah, I gotta check in every half hour. Just checked in a few minutes ago. There’s a bunch of folks out here helping us in the mine. I dunno if they’re from Cadiz or not. They all just started showing up, like they got some big invite or something. The boss said she’d put out a call for help finding the treasure. I didn’t ask how. All I know is I ain’t no miner, and they were.” He takes another long breath with his eyes closed, almost as if he’s trying to hold back tears. “Please… that’s all I know. I don’t get paid to ask questions. The boss says ‘shoot that,’ I shoot that. The boss says ‘go stand guard,’ I go stand guard. The boss say something and I ask why, she puts her boot up against my head and says ‘I don’t pay you to think, Monroe.'"

Oh, good. He's a mercenary like ourselves. He's just a really shitty mercenary. We should be able to come to an arrangement. Jez pats the dwarf down and relieves him of any weapons he might have on him with her free hand. "Well, Monroe, I do pay you to think. I'm a mercenary now, after all, and so it's the creed we live by. Your boss lady sounds like a real bitch. What the boss lady's name? What kind of woman is she? What does she do? Of what is she capable? I'm already going to pay you with your life for being wise enough to accept defeat and for being straight with me. But I'm going to go a step further and actually pay you more if you can layer on some useful details. For the record, we're here to rescue those miners, so on top of being paid, you'll be doing some good to offset your cowardice at turning a blind eye to this evil bitch's deeds." She pulls her black card from out of a pocket on her harness and waves it before the dwarf's face (Non-Secure Black Card: 5,100 credits). "Pretty good pay day and more than enough compensation for some useful intel, dontcha think? Should be able to do some real good for the kids with this, right?" She replaces the card. "Sound like a deal? Yes? Okay, then rack your brain and spill your guts."

Kat Porter wrote:"Howdy, partner. We got some information, and more importantly- we've got a timeline of events. How's things on your end?"

Jez radios back in on their secure channel. "We're at the mine. Have control over access to the mine. I'm interviewing a person who knows plenty and feels compelled to be cooperative. I'll get back with you soon with more details."
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, go to PayPal then make your donation to: lloyd.ritchey@gmail.com
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/950
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Analoy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Percep 55%: 1d100 = 27
JIC: 1d20 = 20 1d100 = 80

Prowl 60%=1d100 = 74

Conditions:
Force Field: 35/150 min duration, 80/80 MDC

After finding the rope, Analoy returns to where Jez is talking to Monroe. Seeing that Jez has things well in hand, Analoy keeps her eyes open on the yard at large. I wonder if this sleaze is the only guy they have watching the entrance area? She shrugs to herself and keeps on looking around, just in case anyone else pops up or decides to come up, out of the mine.

When the call comes in from Kat, Analoy is about to say something when Jez replies, so she keeps quiet and continues to watch over the mine entrance. Looking down at the rope in her hand, she ponders, maybe I should just shoot him with my snare gun. Or we could just run him off but I don't trust that he will circle back around to put the squeeze on us.
Analoy Landie
Current Details
P.P.E.: 227/202
M.D.C.: 196/196
Charm/Impress: 20%
User avatar
Analoy
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Jezebel » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:20 am

(rolls held over)

Jez looks back over her shoulder at Analoy. That girl's itching to do something...which means the others are likely getting anxious. "You've got itchy feet. Go, gather the others and check out the entrance. Be cautious. Be quiet. All that good stuff." She throws her a wink and returns to her interrogation.
com⋅pli⋅cat⋅ed [kom-pli-key-tid] –adjective: 1. composed of elaborately interconnected parts; complex. 2. difficult to analyze, understand. Synonyms: involved, tangled, Jezebel
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, go to PayPal then make your donation to: lloyd.ritchey@gmail.com
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Note: Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 18, 19 or 20.
-10% Penalty when using skills to operate in unfamiliar, high-tech Rifts science & engineering fields.
H.P.: 51
S.D.C.: 98/98
P.T.P.: 1550/950
• Charm/Impress: 60%
• Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 88%
• Nightvision: 600'
• Resistant to Energy Damage
• Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
• Can perform a non-combat action at no cost and without penalty even while engaged in combat
• Embodiment of physical perfection for her race; Appears to be one level higher and more powerful than actual; Tends to be fidgety and has trouble sleeping; Ambidextrous

Gear
(Equipment post is up to date.)
User avatar
Jezebel
Group Leader
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Susan Lee » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 20
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 20 / 1d100 = 18

Susan nods sympathetically while Robelfur Sherrifson is telling his story about his predecessor. "Sad. And fascinating. She sounds very powerful...and also nice. I'm sorry for your loss." Then, to herself, "I wonder if a dampening forcefield would reduce the chance of damage to bystanders? Perhaps triggering burster-like abilities?!?"

Not noticing the crushed lock, Susan looks around the rest of the site.

And, not having enough experience with it, she's not familiar with any particular spells that would produce this kind of lift pattern.

"It... kind of looks like someone was picking it up while it was shrinking/losing mass," she says, including pronouncing the slash. "I'm still guessing a super-strength being with assisting magic. Unless there's an implosion spell and we're looking for a very small orb of metal and crystal."
It's DNA, all the way down.

H.P.: 14/14
S.D.C.: 43/43
Armor M.D.C.: 90/90
User avatar
Susan Lee
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Analoy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:39 pm

[rolls held]

Prowl 60%(+15% with darkness powers total 75%)=74 Pass

Conditions:
Force Field: 35/150 min duration, 80/80 MDC
Black Sun (Darkness Powers) (40) - 30/30 min duration, nightvision 600’; see in magical darkness; can recognize shadow beasts and other shadow-linked creatures even in shadows; Cloak of darkness & Shadow meld (BoM p.93 & 103)

Analoy smiles and gives Jez a nod, then she set out back toward the overlook where the others are waiting. Winding her way back through the camp, she tries to keep to cover as best she can as she makes her way up to where the other are watching from.

Poking her head up over the edge of the ridge, Analoy says, "Hey ya. Jez has the one guard in hand. Its time for you guys to come on down. I'll lead the way. Just try to keep quiet." She turns and start to lead the small group back down to where Jez is, offering a hand if anyone needs it.

When/If they all make it back down to where Jez is without any issues, Analoy turns to Becky and says, "You're doing great sweetie. Keep watching out for Fiona." She gives the girl a big smile and continues, "Wanna see something fun?" She waits for a little nod or other affirmation then makes an exaggerated gesture as she reaches up to her left shoulder and presses the Black Sun tattoo there, funneling the needed PPE out of her mace, Zdeslav, just in case she gets separated from her gear and needs her internal shores later. As soon as she presses the tattoo, Analoy disappears into a black cloud of inky darkness which drifts off, moving from shadow to shadow towards the entrance of the mine.

When/If Analoy makes it the the mine entrance, She will stop and take a look around to get her bearings.
Analoy Landie
Current Details
P.P.E.: 227/202
M.D.C.: 196/196
Charm/Impress: 20%
User avatar
Analoy
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Townsend » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:31 pm

MINI-UPDATE
(Mainly for Fiona and Haley)


Results of Fiona's EP-aced Perception roll:
  • Everything mentioned in this post (mainly posted again here for reference)
  • The mine entrance is in a natural basin, with only one real way in or out for vehicles. This makes it rather easy to defend from a ground attack, though aircraft and/or flying power armor could strafe the entrance fairly easily... and judging by the bullet holes, carbon scoring and blast marks around the entrance it's not hard to imagine that may very well have happened at least once or twice.
  • There are a number of watchtowers/defensive points along the crest of the basin with rather rickety-looking stairs/scaffolds leading up from the ground below. It would appear that larger, more ambitious attempts to work this mine made dedicated attempts to defend the place in the past. Fiona can't see any evidence that any of them are currently in use (or even anytime in the recent past, either).
  • Assuming 2-4 people per vehicle, there are more than enough vehicles parked outside the entrance to accommodate all of Cadiz.
  • The TW Zone Ranger exactly matches Bella Venezia's that Tom Czervowski mentions in his repair log. His log was meticulous to begin with, and the entry for this vehicle even more so due to his level of infatuation with it.
  • Judging by the vehicle tracks, it looks like most of the vehicles were driven here, parked, and haven't been moved in a while. One of the exceptions is a military style truck with some sort of fabric top over the bed -- it's clearly been in and out quite a bit. And it's rocking slightly, with something bumping against the bottom of the fabric along one side.


You've Seen Better Days

Haley wakes up to a pounding headache... and things get worse from there. She finds herself bound, gagged, and propped up against her Prowler in what looks to be the back of the truck she encountered... how long ago? From the small holes in the truck bed's fabric roof, it's clearly daytime... but how long has she been out? Hours? Days? No way to tell. Long enough to be dried out from the rain -- not to mention sore and stiff from being restrained, that's for sure.

-----------------

It had been a day that seemed all the things that could possibly go wrong were holding a giant "hold my beer" contest. She had just cleared Dawson Springs on her way to MercTown -- and the opportunities it holds for those who choose the way of the sword, the gun, and the robot -- when her Prowler ran out of gas. Not only had her Prowler run out of gas, it had started to rain. Hard, cold, February rain. Hard, cold, February rain through which she had to walk to the nearest pocket of what could even loosely be called 'civilization' (a two-bit hamlet called Cadiz, according to her map) in the hopes of finding a tank's worth of something combustible enough to get the bike going again. Perhaps it was the hour of slogging that was already behind her with the knowledge of several more ahead of her that suppressed her normal lack of trust and prompted her to flag down the truck that happened along. The driver seemed friendly enough at first, but that didn't last long as she was quickly surrounded by several armed short humanoids (some sort of D-bees, most likely) with rather suspicious questions.

"Who are you?"
"Where are you from?"
"Who are you with?"
"Where are you heading?"

Whatever answers Haley could think of, they clearly aren't the ones that put the short bandits at ease.

"What do you think, boss? Didn't you say the call would get everybody from there? She don't act like the others."
"She's not local. Could be a lost traveler. Could be worth ransom. Could be heading to the mine too."

Haley hears a female voice coming from the cab of the truck.

"Whatever else she may be, she's unfortunately a witness now -- and we can't afford witnesses. Bag her and load her up; we'll figure out what to do with her later."

The last thing Haley remembers from that encounter is a sharp blow to the back of her head before everything goes black.

-----------------

As Haley starts struggling with her bonds, trying to extract herself from her precarious predicament, she starts banging herself against the side of the truck. Not loudly, fortunately, but enough to feel it.


Everybody welcome Haley Marie to the game! Haley -- what are you doing?
GM of the General Investigation, Resolution & Liberation Services (G.I.R.L.S.) of Merctown

Image

"...and now they work for me."
User avatar
Townsend
Game Master
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:47 am

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Fiona » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 91/29%
Just in Case: 1d20 = 15/1d100 = 8
Conditions: None.

Fiona makes mental notes on what she's observed before clicking on her mic. "So I've noticed a few things, one the vehicles haven't moved in a while, except this one Cargonaut. Thing about the Cargonaut is it looks like someone is moving around inside of it. So I'm gonna move over their and take a peek." Fiona says before turning to Becky. Hun, get in the truck for a minute and hunker down, I'll be back shortly." Fiona says before she starts making her way across the yard to the Cargonaut and slowly makes her way to the back to peek in.
Fiona
"On I burn, Fuel is pumping engines, Burning hard, loose and clean, And on I burn, Churning my direction, Quench my thirst with gasoline." ~Fuel by Metallica.

Fi
HP: 25/25, S.D.C.: 22/22, I.S.P.: 138/138, P.P.E.: 7/7
Armor
T-11 Enhanced Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
• Helmet: 70/70, Left Arm: 60/60, Right Arm: 60/60, Left Leg: 80/80, Right Leg: 80/80, Main Body: 100/100
Modifiers: -5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +10 to Spd, +10' to leaps, +10% to climb, reduce rate of fatigue by 50%. Takes 2D4+4 melees to suit-up.
Weapons
NG-35 Heavy Laser Pistol
Payload: 14 shots/14
Vehicle
Road Buster Armored Combat Truck
M.D.C. Main Body – 245
Current Conditions
None.
User avatar
Fiona
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:26 pm
Location: G.I.R.L.S. of Merctown Member

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Haley Marie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 82 / 46%
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 20 / 1d100 = 38

(ID Strengths & Weaknesses Roll on bandits when first encountered: Perception: 1d100 = 12 / 71%
Intelligence: 1d100 = 93 / 70%)


This says something pretty damn sad about my life that this isn’t the worst situation I’ve found myself in.

Of course, bound, gagged, no idea of where she is, no allies, no expectations of rescue…it’s not that great, either. Squirming about, she squints through the sun-pierced dimness of the truck bed’s interior. She’s mentally berating herself for not only being so stupid as to trust an unknown encounter but for actually letting a bunch of sawed-off Deebs get the drop on her—

And seeing that they’ve left her tied up alongside all of her gear doesn’t help her mood any. She had been bushwhacked by a bunch of amateurs, and has the aching head to prove it.

All right. If my luck were about to change, there might not actually be anyone on guard duty out there, she muses, trying to spot one of her knives – the one in her boot was missing, and her entire harness had been removed while she was out.

Moving slowly to avoid making much noise – genuine stealth is impossible under her current circumstances – she attempts to maneuver to where she can rock up onto her feet. Once upright, it’s a matter of locating a knife, somehow getting it out of its sheath, and cutting her bonds. If it’s the vibroblade, she’ll have the added thrill of avoiding taking a hand off in the process. What fun!

The twitch of fabric at the rear of the truck doesn’t go unnoticed, however, and Haley freezes in place. She’s a shadow in the dim interior, only her eyes showing much brightness as she takes in what she can see of who’s peering in. So much for the hope of no guard; is this Bosslady, come to take care of inconvenient witnesses?
User avatar
Haley Marie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:39 pm
Location: Rifts North America: G.I.R.L.S.

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Kat Porter » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Perception 56%: 1d100 = 83
JIC d20: 1d20 = 18
JIC d100: 1d100 = 31

Computer Programming 73%: 1d100 = 27
Lore: Magic 58%: 1d100 = 66
Sensory Equipment 48%: 1d100 = 50
Radio: Basic 88%: 1d100 = 33
Advanced Math 78%: 1d100 = 47

"Copy that. Need backup? Should we try to make our way up there?" That's a loooong hike. Maybe we can hire a ride from the Captain.

"Also, uploading you a picture, partner. If you see this, it's half our payday. Try not to blow it up." Kat transmits the picture of the magic miner via a compressed data packet.

"Let's assume for the moment it was a theft and not a powerful spell-slinger using powerful magics for petty vandalism. Seems a more straightforward answer, Doc."More brainpower girl, less brain on drugs.

Kat get more precise measurements using her Naruni suit's sensors, and does some on the fly mental geometry to see if Susan's theory about a shrinking tank matches up with the markings.
Do Not PM this account. PM Tyrannosapiens Rex.

Kat Porter

P.P.E.: 19
H.P.: 24
S.D.C.: 39
Perception Bonus: +5
Charm/Impress: 20%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 65%
User avatar
Kat Porter
Group Leader
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:18 pm
Location: Rifts PC (G.I.R.L.S. of MercTown)

Re: First Op: Where Have All the Cadizians Gone?

Postby Cordelia » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 8
JIC: 1d20 = 8
JIC: 1d100 = 14

Cordelia takes pictures of the area and the marks and the lock and... She stops and looks at the whole scene and tries to analyze what she is seeing. this doesnt make sense. She continues to search around and look for the finer details.
User avatar
Cordelia
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Previous

Return to G.I.R.L.S. of Merctown Adventure Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest