Merctown Gates

Defunct & mixed-group adventure threads get archived here.
Active groups archive their old adventures in their own adventure forum.

Moderator: Augur

Merctown Gates

Postby Captain Marks » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:33 pm

The ever capable Merctown Defender's greet visitors, give farewells to those departing and administer to the necessities of the city's outward appearance of order. Kat Porter however knew this place well. The order was a facade. Merctown was the one place that the swords of others set ones own limits of action. The Defender's stopped overt harm to the city and nothing further.

One such Defender, young at that, approaches Kat Porter with a smile. Putting forth the usual data-pad for the woman to fill out with the usual questions,"Are you a mage? Do you possess devastating psionic potential? Does your armament include, but is not limited to, near nuclear levels of wide-scale city-leveling power?"

Having checked the appropriate boxes, no, no, and no, the Defender takes the pad and nods to Kat to continue. waving at the City rat he indicates that she is free to scurry, scurry on!

<Assumption is that Kat knows that Merctown does not allow weapons rifle and above>
User avatar
Captain Marks
Assistant Game Master
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:57 am
Location: lwhiting01

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Okubo Hiroki » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Per: 1d20+2 = 18:
16

JiC20: 1d20:
17

JiC100: 1d100:
55


The man on the motorcycle had been unhelpful when Hiroki asks for directions to the nearest town. He thinks that "Fuck you," is some kind of reply, which is better than being ignored, but he recalls his conversational English, and decides it was an insult. He sighs and heads down the road that the motorcyclist traveled, reasoning that the man had come from somewhere. A few more vehicles pass him, though none stopped. Given the position of the Sun, and the time of day, he believeshe was still on Earth. But where?

It was later in the day that he sees a light in the sky that was neither Sun nor moon. A town! Maybe I can find a room or ryokan to rest for the night. He thinkst more about the motorcycle driver's rudeness and accent. This must be The United States!

He dresses in green flecktarn combat dress trousers, a pair of hiking boots, a T-shirt that reads "Akira" and had a picture of Kanada on a motorcycle. On his head sits a Japanese style kasa hat. He wears a pair of swords in a wide belt, and a strange looking sidearm in a black leather shoulder holster. Unlike most people in the Rifts world, he wears no armour, but looks like he might have some tied to his backpack. Strapped onto the side of pack sits a black Mizuno Pro maple baseball bat.

He is short by American standards, standing only 5'7, but his physique is incredible. His biceps, pecs, abs and deltoids strain the shirt he wore. By all standards, he has the body of a fairly strong juicer, but not a mega or especially not a titan. Finally, he watches the shape of town rise above the horizon. It is well illuminated. While it is nothing compared to a New Japanese Republic city with its skyscrapers and monorails, it still seems like some measure of civilization. Finally he arrives at the city gates.

Bowing to the nearest official looking person, he straightened and says, in English that couldn't really be considered "Engrish", "Konban wa, good evening. I am looking for an inn, a meal and some work."
Okubo Hiroki
 

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Captain Marks » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:27 am

A tall monstrous creature, red of scale, claws of death, and a maw filled with sharp knife like teeth snarles at Okubo as he comes out of his bow. The armored creature begins to charge the demon queller snarling viciously, its mouth agape to take a bite from his neck!

Image

"Welcome to Merctown," a cheery and youthful young man's voice comes from somewhere in the vicinity of the creature as it halts before the Japanese man. Stretching an arm out the scaly clawed thing puts a computer pad into Okubo's palm. It appears to be a book encased in glass and a material smooth and gray of finish like steel, but significantly lighter in weight.

The creature cranes its thick neck and points at the text with a black claw tipped finger against glass,"tap, tap, tap" as it snarls into Okubo's face with yet more words in a happy young voice from nowhere,"Read the rules here and sign agreement to them here, and if you can't read..." Pointing the monster indicates a rune on the book for Okubo to press that looks like a cone with three lines at the wide end as more snarling follows with that disembodied voice stating,"This will dictate them to you..." Pausing the thing's lips pull back in an evil visage huffing noisily as it rubs the back of it's scaly head,"Sorry, it reads it for you like as if I'm speaking to you."

The pad reads many different details, in the same youthful voice that has been ominously ghosting around the creature before you. Besides the disconcerting spirit you keep hearing the rules that stands out the most to Okubo in regards to his trade in arms,"Body armor, handguns, magic weapons, virbo-blades (and other hand held weapons, blades, clubs, etc), bionics, and light vehicles are permitted within the city limits. Heavy weapons, rifles, explosives, power armor, robots and armored vehicles are not, except by special permit."

Having reviewed the directions Okubo may ask any questions, but it is clear to him that his armament is not one needing special attention in regard to the rules, however conduct does seem noteworthy,"Violence, feuding, and conflict are not tolerated. Lethal force is permitted by Merctown Defender's as required for the safety of the city occupants."

Looking as if about to drool in hunger the monster waits patiently and when the pad is done dictating to Okubo it indicates a spot with a finger print in it with yet, more snarling and seeming threats of decapitation and eating of entrails, however the friendly voice continues"Put your signature there or if you can't, thumb there to sign." The sides of it's mouth curl as it snorts out,"The Job Market Cafe is the premier spot in Merctown to find a meal, lodgings, and employment. You can browse jobs or put an application forward for prospective employers to review."

Taking the pad from Okubo the huge, viceous monstrosity imitates the Japanese man's prior bow...badly, before waving goofily and flapping it's big jaw open and closed, almost like laughing as it indicates that the Demon Queller may proceed while growling,"Merctown's Defender's like myself can always answer your questions once you're inside. Have a good day, sir!"

A moment later the creature runs up next to Okubo holding out a pamphlet,"Oh! Here, you'll need this. It has a map and directions. Just follow the line from here at the Gate to the Job Market Cafe!" Retreating the beast looks almost longingly at Okubo as a meal before turning to the next in line to be admitted.
User avatar
Captain Marks
Assistant Game Master
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:57 am
Location: lwhiting01

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Okubo Hiroki » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:06 am

Per: 1d20+2 = 17:
15

JiC20: 1d20:
5

JiC100: 1d100

Hiroki almost goes for his swords when he sees the crock thing charging. He maintains eye contact with it, fully ready to fight when the young human steps forth in a more friendly manner. He looks for a language option on the tablet. Not seeing one, he presses the audio option. "I am sorry, I cannot read english, yet."[/b ]

He keeps his eye on the crocothing and tries to identify it, as if it was a demon or some kind of monster. He wishes the croc would try something, so Hiroki could prove his point, and establish himself as one not to be menaced and gain a reputation around town. He breaks his aggressive stare with the crock when he is told there is no brawling or other violence tolerated.

[b]"I'm sorry, for a moment, I thought your friend had other ideas... Expect no violence from me."
Too bad for him, too, he could use some lessons in hospitality, he thought without adding. He takes the book in hand and scrawls, in japanese idiograms, "大久保氏 大樹" family name, before given name. He returns the tablet to the human and bows to him once more, "Arigato, thank you!" His glance returns to the crocothing and he narrows his eyes slightly. "May the Buddha bring you enlightenment."

At that, he enters town, making his way to an inexpensive hotel, but clean, secure and with good service, after he asks a few townies for advice. After a shower, and changing into his town clothes, a white keikogi with a black hakama, with tabi socks and sandals, he tucks swords into his belt and replaces his handgun on his shoulder holster, he makes his way to the job market, noting the types of people he passes. Everyone seems like warriors to him, but there were a few merchants and tradesmen. No Eta and few peasants. Obviously, this is a land of great prosperity and opportunity for warriors.

He enters the job market cafe, alert for demons and other dangers, like the croc-man. Spotting the screens on the wall, he watches and listens to each one. The one called AA Professional Services seems to be seeking experienced supernatural fighters. It was the first he arrives at, being he recognizes the letter "A" as the first English letter. Clearly they must be the best team. I know nothing of the customs of these gai-jin. It is best I work for this group or another to handle business, until my name is known by all, at least.

He takes a business card from AAPS and starts to make his way out of the cafe.
Okubo Hiroki
 

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby James Miller » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:44 pm

Perception: 1d20+3 = 18:
15

JIC: 1d20:
1
1d100:
99


Charm and Impress 45%| Invalid dice code! (ooc, not sure what happened. I tried to colour them as they were both successful rolls. Let me know if you ant a reroll)
Invoke Trust 80% | Invalid dice code!

James hops out of the latest vehicle he had hitched a ride with on the final leg of this god forsaken trip. Was that the six or seven different ride I've had to bum or pay for to get here? What a god damn drag of a trip this has been. If I never sit crammed into a truck with 20 other people it will be too soon. Looking at the long cue to get into the gates just throws James into an even worse mood. What the fuck! More damn waiting, why the hell am I even here? The question is clearly rhetorical as he had spent the better part of a year laying low after leaving the contract he had with the Coalition. It had been the most painful year he'd had in the last 20. I just need to get in here and find some damn work and build back some bank. There has to be some group I can hook up with that will allow me to do my thing or there isn't and my skills will all go to rust and I won't even be able get a job as a fucking P.I.The spy's fingers twitch at the thought of being able to get back in the field after so long away.

James stands in line and gets more and more pissed off as the day drags on. Before it's his turn at the front he is ready to burst and start swearing at the first person to talk to him but, like always, the training kicks in and he puts on a happy face and tone to his voice when he's approached. He looks at whoever he is dealing with and says, "Hi there, hope you're day isn't as hard as it looks. Must be tough getting through all these people." James will submit to anything they require and make polite small talk but not go over top and be annoying.
James
OOC Comments
NE-CW20 Camouflage Variable Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
• Helmet: 40/40
• Arms: 20/20, 20/20
• Legs: 30/30, 30/30
• Main Body: 80/80
Modifiers: -5% to acrobatics/gymnastics, -20% for others to detect, +5% to prowl skill


James is also: Aether Eurasia GM Kilo Templars
User avatar
James Miller
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Townsend » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:13 pm

James Miller wrote:He looks at whoever he is dealing with and says, "Hi there, hope you're day isn't as hard as it looks. Must be tough getting through all these people." James will submit to anything they require and make polite small talk but not go over top and be annoying.


The guard snorts and nods. "Ayup, some days are better than others... but all in all there are worse jobs out there. At least I ain't sittin' behind some desk filling out forms. Speakin' of..." he hands James a datapad. "Fill this out, please, including any bionic weapon systems, owned weapons, areas of magical discipline, or other 'special abilities' one tends not to see in 'normal folk.' And just a bit of friendly advice: be honest. The scans tend to know if your're lying." He continues as James fills out the form. "MercTown is not only a neutral city-state but also a place of commerce with countless transients that come in all shapes, sizes and races." he says with the tone of someone who's repeated the same spiel ad nauseum day after day. "Laws in town are common sense. You damage property, you'll compensate the owner. Self-defense is unrestricted but unprovoked aggression and violence towards others -- especially citizens -- is a punishable offense. The same applies to magic. If you purchase any long arms, they'll be delivered to one of the gates where you can pick them up with a chit from the vendor." He pauses. "Speaking of long arms, you don't seem to be carrying any and you don't seem to have a vehicle, so we don't need to worry about either one of those at the moment. Anything else you'd to declare?"

Once James has handed back the datapad, the guard looks over James' entries and places a finger to his ear (clearly listening via some sort of earpiece). "Right... So what brings you to our little slice of paradise? Looking for merc work? Doing some shopping? Just lookin' to blow off some steam?"
2017 "Epic Heroics" Adventure GM

GM of the General Investigation, Resolution & Liberation Services (G.I.R.L.S.) of Merctown

Image

"...and now they work for me."
User avatar
Townsend
Game Master
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:47 am

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby James Miller » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:40 am

Perception: 1d20+3 = 19:
16

JIC: 1d20:
8
1d100:
46

Trust Intimidate: 80%|1d100:
37


Townsend wrote:Once James has handed back the datapad, the guard looks over James' entries and places a finger to his ear (clearly listening via some sort of earpiece). "Right... So what brings you to our little slice of paradise? Looking for merc work? Doing some shopping? Just lookin' to blow off some steam?"


James fills out all the information and doesn't hide anything, he really has nothing to hide for once so it's easy. Once he's done he answers the question honestly doing his best to portray a trustworthy person in his tone and demeanour., "I have some experience some merc groups here in the city might be interested in. I'm hoping I can scare up some work and make some scratch. Nothing too exciting. Just the same as everyone else I guess."
James
OOC Comments
NE-CW20 Camouflage Variable Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
• Helmet: 40/40
• Arms: 20/20, 20/20
• Legs: 30/30, 30/30
• Main Body: 80/80
Modifiers: -5% to acrobatics/gymnastics, -20% for others to detect, +5% to prowl skill


James is also: Aether Eurasia GM Kilo Templars
User avatar
James Miller
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Augur » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:53 pm

Everything appearing to be in order, the guard waves James in without further preamble or delay.
Image
To help support this site, go to PayPal then make your donation to: lloyd.ritchey@gmail.com
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Augur
Admin
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby James Miller » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:09 pm

(Rolls carried)

James favors the man with a smile and says politely while walking through the gates, "Have a great day".

He wanders on through the gate and finds himself in Merctown. That itchy feeling starts to take over as he realizes he's in place where he can't control the situation completely. James' mind starts to focus in on site lines and taking in every other person he sees and analyzing their threat level. God damn cities. There is just too much going on, this is going to be exhausting. As the spy does his thing scanning for potential threats, he realizes that he has no idea where he is headed. Food would be the key right now, and to get off the damn street. After trying to find the perfect spot and passing by several options, he finally decides on a place called The Celestial Dragon. This is as good as any other I guess.


(The Celestial Dragon)
James
OOC Comments
NE-CW20 Camouflage Variable Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
• Helmet: 40/40
• Arms: 20/20, 20/20
• Legs: 30/30, 30/30
• Main Body: 80/80
Modifiers: -5% to acrobatics/gymnastics, -20% for others to detect, +5% to prowl skill


James is also: Aether Eurasia GM Kilo Templars
User avatar
James Miller
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Analoy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Percep: 1d20+6 = 11:
5

JIC: 1d20:
15
1d100:
83


Analoy stood before the gates of Merctown grinning as she waited for the guards to make their search of her and admit her to the city.

As she stood waiting Analoy thought about the previous day. She had said all of her good bye's to her old life and stepped through the rift her Master had created, appearing in the wilderness somewhere outside Merctown. Then a short trudge through the forest she came upon the road and grinned as she pressed the demonrunner tattoo on her right shoulder. Watching as the beast sprang from her skin. She remembers thinking, Even with as many magical tattoos as I have, I always find that fascinating.... when I have the opportunity to actually pay attention to it. Having the thought again only deepens the grin she currently holds.

After bounding onto the back of the demonrunner, Analoy gave it a command and off it went at an amazing speed down the hard packed road. As she neared the city she decided to pull off the road and rest so that she could restore her PPE and enter the city fresh. After some hours, she ate the little bit of food she had brought, then emerged from the woods and walked the rest of the way into town.

Analoy's Master hadn't given her very direct instructions, aside from keeping an eye on Mephisto's Horsemen, though he did suggest that she was a good cook. So when the guards eventually ask her what her business is in the city, her grin turns into a smile and she says, "Looking for work. I'm a cook. You happen to know of any place that's hiring?"
Analoy Landie
Current Details
P.P.E.: 211/211
M.D.C.: 185/185
Perception Bonus: +6
Charm/Impress: 20%
User avatar
Analoy
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Townsend » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:43 pm

The guard barely even raises an eyebrow as the many-tatted gal walks up to the gate. Analoy gets the impression that impressive sets of tats aren't exactly uncommon among the visitors (and many residents) of places that cater to the primary demographic that helped give MercTown its name. He hands her a datapad and begins the standard spiel. "Fill this out, please, including any bionic weapon systems, owned weapons, areas of magical discipline, or other 'special abilities' one tends not to see in 'normal folk.' And just a bit of friendly advice: be honest. The scans tend to know if your're lying. MercTown is not only a neutral city-state but also a place of commerce with countless transients that come in all shapes, sizes and races." he says with the tone of someone who's repeated the same spiel ad nauseum day after day. "Laws in town are common sense. You damage property, you'll compensate the owner. Self-defense is unrestricted but unprovoked aggression and violence towards others -- especially citizens -- is a punishable offense. The same applies to magic. If you purchase any long arms, they'll be delivered to one of the gates where you can pick them up with a chit from the vendor."

When she hands the pad back he glances over it and says without looking up. "So what brings you to our little slice of Kentucky paradise?"

Analoy wrote:"Looking for work. I'm a cook. You happen to know of any place that's hiring?"


The guard nods and scratches his chin. "If you're looking to cook for a merc group, try the Job Market Cafe -- I've seen members from different groups get into fistfights over recruiting good cooks." He hands Analoy a map and points out the location of the JMC. "But if you're looking for something a little steadier, I've heard a rumor that the Celestial Dragon is looking for some new kitchen staff -- seems some of the help quit after some mercs tried sneaking in through the back door and wound up trashing the buffet tables." He points to a different location. "Chinese place there in the Spokes sector. Really good moo goo gai pan."

He puts his finger up to his ear (obviously listening to a comlink) and nods. "Ayup, everything checks out and you're free to enter. Welcome to MercTown."
2017 "Epic Heroics" Adventure GM

GM of the General Investigation, Resolution & Liberation Services (G.I.R.L.S.) of Merctown

Image

"...and now they work for me."
User avatar
Townsend
Game Master
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:47 am

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Analoy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Percep: 1d20+6 = 14:
8

JIC: 1d20:
2
1d100:
79


Analoy listens as the guard goes over his routine speech, nodding along like so many others he has undoubtedly seen.

When the entry questionnaire portion is done and the guard offers suggestions as to where she could find work as a cook, Analoy smiles and says, "Many thanks." As she walks away and into the city, she concludes her interaction with the city guard with a pleasant phrase she had heard Master Ortoza say many times, "May your days be filled with enlightenment." Then she proceeds into the city proper and heads for the restaurant the guard spoke of. Stead does sound better. At least until I get the lay of the land.
Analoy Landie
Current Details
P.P.E.: 211/211
M.D.C.: 185/185
Perception Bonus: +6
Charm/Impress: 20%
User avatar
Analoy
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Ashlynn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:48 am

Perception: 1d20+9 = 13:
4

JIC: 1d20:
11

1d100:
64


Ashlynn sees the City Gates of MercTown in the distance, and gets excited. She'd been walking for hours just today, yet it was all she could do to not break into a run, but since she knows it'd be better if she isn't sweaty and out of breath when she gets there, she reluctantly continues at her usual pace.

Her mood elevated at seeing her destination so close... she begins to whistle. It was an old song, and she never learned the name of it, but her friend Hagbard had taught it to her, and so she whistles it now.

She watches the city gates grow incrementally larger as she approaches. Oh My God! I can't believe I've come this whole way! I could REALLY use a bath and a hot meal. Maybe find work? Maybe find a good crew? She remembers her last group - her family. And shakes her head with resolve. No. It's gonna be better here. Things've been crap for so long it's GOT to be better.

Ashlynn, in her excitement, starts to skip up the road approaching the gates. She feels as if her every pore is humming with anticipation. As she finally approaches the gate, she breaks into a trot to close the distance, and comes to a halt.

If or when she sees the guard, she comes right up to him.

"Hi! I'm Ashlynn!" She waves excitedly. "What's your name? I'm not from this area. Is MercTown nice? I hear it's nice. I've heard you can get work here and that it's pretty safe and there's lots of shops and stuff." She bounces lightly on the balls of her feet, awaiting an answer.
Ashlynn
H.P.: 13/31
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 18/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Weiss » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:59 am

Perception 1d20:
3

JIC 1d20:
11

1d100:
30


Weiss waited patiently at the gate for his turn to be seen, Zac waiting beside him slightly less patiently as he kept standing up and down on the balls of his feet. He had been to Merctown before though not at its currently popularity and Zac was anxious to see it. He smiled at his adopted D'Norr Devilman son and gave him a quick hug to calm him down, though Zac did give him a look that said 'Dad do you have to'.

As much as he didn't want to be back here and especially with bringing Zac into this life, Merctown was where he had met Jazia and where he thought he would be able to search for her from more effectively. Her trail had gone cold and he didn't have the skills or resources to look for her, certainly not at the moment. She certainly had skills in that department to disappear.

The plan was to find some work and then use the money to pay for somebody to try and find Jazia. She'd had friends here when they met, so he figured he would see them first and find out if she had been in contact. Then he would approach a company for work and pay one of the investigative firms to search for her.

Thankfully, having the Blue Beauty meant he would be in demand, so he waited behind the excitable woman to be seen.
User avatar
Weiss
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Ashlynn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:27 am

(rolls carried over)

As Weiss approaches with his son, Ashlynn turns to see him, and, on seeing the child, grins widely. "HEY! Aren't YOU cute!" She kneels down. "I'm Ashlynn! What's your name? Your horns are ADORABLE!" Noticing Weiss, she stands, her face reddening. "Sorry... I get carried away. He's so cute. This is my first time to MercTown, I didn't know what to expect. Still don't actually. Have you been here before?"

She smiles widely. "Soon as I get inside I need to find some good food and a place to rack down and maybe a job." She laughs. "You didn't need to know that. Sorry, I talk too much. I'm a talker!"

"What're you in for?" She laughs again. "Sorry, prison joke. Not that MercTown is a punishment." She turns rapidly back to the guard. "I didn't mean to imply anything bad about MercTown! I've never been here before!"

She hunches her shoulders, face now deeply red. "I'll be quiet now."
Ashlynn
H.P.: 13/31
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 18/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Weiss » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:02 am

rolls carried

Zac backed up a little bit as Ashlynn went a little OTT with him. Weiss was a little wary, but she just seemed overeager, rather than dangerous. Of course, you could never tell. Maybe a little bit of trust would help them.

"I'm Weiss, this is Zac. I've been here before, though not for a while, but it's Zac's first time. We're looking for work too, so I know a couple of places to start if you want to join us."
User avatar
Weiss
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Ashlynn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:21 pm

(Rolls carried over)

"Join you? HELL YEAH." Ashlynn grins.

See? Things are improving and I'm not even in town yet!

She starts hopping with excited energy. "I'm sure we'll find jobs right away - I have experience. I was with this merc crew down south - Myrmidon's Might - have you heard of them? I was with them for a while until... Anyhow, they taught me ALL SORTS of useful junk." She turns to Zac. "I CAN TEACH YOU! They taught me how to swordfight and shoot and fix things and cook and read and speak Gobbley and Elven - I can talk to DRAGONS. I mean, if they wanna." She laughs. "I don't guess anyone talks to dragons if they don't wanna. But I could understand 'em now, if they chose to talk to me. I can teach YOU stuff!"

Turning back to Weiss, she hastily adds, "Not without your permission of course. But if we find a job together we'll be seeing each other a lot and we can look out for each other like in my old crew, THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT!"

And she literally squeals with excitement. She holds her arm right in front of Weiss' face. "GOOSEBUMPS!" True to her word, the fine hairs on her forearm are standing on end.
Ashlynn
H.P.: 13/31
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 18/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Weiss » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:39 pm

rolls carried over

Weiss was taken aback a bit. She had completely gotten the wrong end of the stick.

"That's not quite what..." He started to say but didn't have the heart to continue. She seemed and earnest and completely innocent.

"Come on, let's get signed through." He told her, turning to talk the guard, "we are now traveling together. Name is Weiss. If you still have the records, I last passed through a decade ago as part of Conrad's Crew."
User avatar
Weiss
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Zoe Barenger » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 am

While the two of you are waiting in line, an elderly Wolfen sitting in his truck behind you smiles at both of you.

"You have a lovely family" he says catching your eye, obviously getting the wrong idea; being a poor judge of human behaviour and society. "Brings back good memories. They are good times, enjoy them." he says, hoping out of his truck. "You folk here looking for mercenary work? It's what everyone here looks for more or less. Sorry, I don't mean to pry. But if you're looking to make some starter money, I might be able to help... oh hey, looks like you're up." he says, pointing at two defenders that have approached.

Assuming you step up, one defender approaches each of you. The one address Weiss seems a little more concerned. "Fill this out honestly. And long arms or other heavy munitions must be checked here. The robot will have to be stored here as well. Buddy, you must not know but there's a Coalition outpost here too. They won't touch it while in our custody, but you best be on your toes. They don't take well to non coalition types boppin' around in their gear if you know what I mean." he looks over the paperwork Weiss has filled out once done. "Looks good. You're easier than most. Park the robot over there and pass in." he says, pointing towards a large hangar like structure.

The other defender addresses Ashlynn. "Fill this out honestly. Long arms or other heavy munitions must be checked here, but it doesn't look like you have to worry about that." he looks over the paperwork Ashlynn has filled out once she is done. "Looks good. You are free to pass inside."

IF either or both of you are interested in the Wolfen's offer, he catches up with you after he passes through the gate. "I have a place in the Warren's you can stay. It's not the nicest, but I'll give a week's free room and board if you'll take up my job and pay one thousand NGMI each. It spends like credits here in MercTown. The short of it is I sold a truck to a guy on contract. He's not paid me in three months, so I want it back. Of course now I can't get a hold of him. He lives in the Warren's too, or at least did. He's still here in town I'm sure. All his friends know me, so they won't talk, but maybe you can do what I can't. Bring me the truck and I pay you and you can spend the week at my house and eat for free. What do ya say?"
User avatar
Zoe Barenger
Assistant Game Master
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:17 am
Location: AGM: Heroes for Hire

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Ashlynn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:18 am

Perception: 1d20+9 = 27:
18

JIC: 1d20:
12

1d100:
51


Wolfen wrote:"You have a lovely family. Brings back good memories. They are good times, enjoy them."


Ashlynn's eyes almost get misty when he compliments her new family. She grins brightly when he says to enjoy the good times. "Thanks! I will!"

Wolfen wrote:"You folk here looking for mercenary work? It's what everyone here looks for more or less. Sorry, I don't mean to pry. But if you're looking to make some starter money, I might be able to help... oh hey, looks like you're up."


Ashlynn's interest is piqued at the job offer. Already? We're not even INSIDE MercTown already and we're ALREADY getting work!

Before she can reply, the defender approaches.

Defender wrote:"Fill this out honestly. Long arms or other heavy munitions must be checked here, but it doesn't look like you have to worry about that."


She grins brightly. "I got a fat load of NONE of that stuff." She then pores over the paperwork, trying to answer as honestly as she can. Where it asks her last name, she pauses, before flipping a mental coin and writing in 'Williams'.

Once she has the paperwork done (or a close enough approximation of it), she passes it back to the Defender.

Defender wrote:"Looks good. You are free to pass inside."


She smiles at him once more, hikes the strap of her backpack higher up on her shoulder, and walks inside.

Turning to Weiss and Zac, she says "See? This town is great. I just KNEW things were getting better. This is gonna be awesome - we're getting job offers before we even walk in the gates. We must look like badasses." Seeing Zac, her face turns bright pink. "SORRY! I should ask if it's okay before I curse. I know he's not like a toddler or anything, but different families have different rules, and I don't know ours yet."

Too much! Pull back! Too much too soon!

"YOURS. I don't know yours." She laughs nervously. "We're not a family yet. I mean at all. Ever. Well, not EVER. I could be like a big sis to Zac, y'know?" She grimaces as if she's been shot.

"I'll... just be quiet now."

As they walk along, and the Wolfen catches up, Ashlynn is thankful for the distraction from her faux pas.

Wolfen wrote:"I have a place in the Warren's you can stay. It's not the nicest, but I'll give a week's free room and board if you'll take up my job and pay one thousand NGMI each. It spends like credits here in MercTown. The short of it is I sold a truck to a guy on contract. He's not paid me in three months, so I want it back. Of course now I can't get a hold of him. He lives in the Warren's too, or at least did. He's still here in town I'm sure. All his friends know me, so they won't talk, but maybe you can do what I can't. Bring me the truck and I pay you and you can spend the week at my house and eat for free. What do ya say?"


Ashlynn's eyebrows raise. "It sounds GREAT! I mean, we could REALLY use a place to stay and some food and a hot bath. Or I could, I mean. We don't bathe together." She laughs a nervous laugh. "That'd be weird." She turns to Weiss: "Can you drive a truck? I only ask because I can't. I mean, I can drive a car or a motorcycle, but I figure a truck is different from a motorcycle. I'm not sure how different it is from a car, but if you can drive one that'd be better. A truck, not a car. We should be sure we can MOVE the thing before we take the job."

She watches him expectantly, nervous energy causing her to bounce lightly on her toes.

She gets momentarily distracted by the hustle and bustle of MercTown. "Do you think they have persimmons here? Every now and then down south we'd get some persimmons."
Ashlynn
H.P.: 13/31
S.D.C.: 68/68


NG-A8 Scout Armor
M.D.C. by Location
• Helmet: 35/35
• Arms: 25/25 each
• Legs: 40/40 each
• Main Body: 18/50
Modifiers: -5% to movement and physical skills
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Weiss » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:23 am

Rolls carried

Zoe Barenger wrote:While the two of you are waiting in line, an elderly Wolfen sitting in his truck behind you smiles at both of you.

"You have a lovely family" he says catching your eye, obviously getting the wrong idea; being a poor judge of human behaviour and society. "Brings back good memories. They are good times, enjoy them." he says, hoping out of his truck. "You folk here looking for mercenary work? It's what everyone here looks for more or less. Sorry, I don't mean to pry. But if you're looking to make some starter money, I might be able to help... oh hey, looks like you're up." he says, pointing at two defenders that have approached.


"But we're not a.." Weiss started to respond, before shaking his head. This was going to be a thing wasn't it he thought, you try to be nice to one person and suddenly this happens. Oh well, be nice, they might be able to help Zac and him.

"I'll speak with you after we have finished here at the gate."
he told the elderly Wolfen, happy to help him.

Assuming you step up, one defender approaches each of you. The one address Weiss seems a little more concerned. "Fill this out honestly. And long arms or other heavy munitions must be checked here. The robot will have to be stored here as well. Buddy, you must not know but there's a Coalition outpost here too. They won't touch it while in our custody, but you best be on your toes. They don't take well to non coalition types boppin' around in their gear if you know what I mean." he looks over the paperwork Weiss has filled out once done. "Looks good. You're easier than most. Park the robot over there and pass in." he says, pointing towards a large hangar like structure.


Weiss filled out the forms quickly and indicated his pistol and vibrosword as his only weapons of note. I'd love to have some more weapons, he thought, but everything went on you. he patted the Blue Beauty.
"Seriously, there is a Coalition outpost here now?" he asked somewhat surprised and incredulous, "when and why did that happen?"

"Come on Zac," he called to his son, " help me get the Blue Beauty in the garage." Zac quite happily climbed into the Gunner's seat and as Weiss closed the hatch, he finally spoke.
"What's the deal with that lady? I can't believe she has latched on like that."

"Don't be rude Zac," Weiss told him, maneuvering the Blue Beauty effortlessly into the garage "everybody needs friends and I suspect she's a bit on the lonely side at the moment. If she proves a problem, I will deal with her, but I think we just made a good friend."

Zac rolled his eyes at that idea, but said nothing else, concentrating on co-piloting the Robot.


IF either or both of you are interested in the Wolfen's offer, he catches up with you after he passes through the gate. "I have a place in the Warren's you can stay. It's not the nicest, but I'll give a week's free room and board if you'll take up my job and pay one thousand NGMI each. It spends like credits here in MercTown. The short of it is I sold a truck to a guy on contract. He's not paid me in three months, so I want it back. Of course now I can't get a hold of him. He lives in the Warren's too, or at least did. He's still here in town I'm sure. All his friends know me, so they won't talk, but maybe you can do what I can't. Bring me the truck and I pay you and you can spend the week at my house and eat for free. What do ya say?"


"We'd be happy to help you," he told the elderly Wolfen, "what is your name sir?"

ooc
Presumably I don't need a piloting roll to park the Blue Beauty
Considering Weiss' obsession, he won't be questioning the story too closely
User avatar
Weiss
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Weiss » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:32 am

Ashlynn wrote:Turning to Weiss and Zac, she says "See? This town is great. I just KNEW things were getting better. This is gonna be awesome - we're getting job offers before we even walk in the gates. We must look like badasses." Seeing Zac, her face turns bright pink. "SORRY! I should ask if it's okay before I curse. I know he's not like a toddler or anything, but different families have different rules, and I don't know ours yet."

Too much! Pull back! Too much too soon!

"YOURS. I don't know yours." She laughs nervously. "We're not a family yet. I mean at all. Ever. Well, not EVER. I could be like a big sis to Zac, y'know?" She grimaces as if she's been shot.

"I'll... just be quiet now."


"Don't stress it," Weiss replied paternally, "just try to take things a little more calmly." Otherwise everybody will think you are a mark

As Weiss and Zac return from the garage,

Ashlynn's eyebrows raise. "It sounds GREAT! I mean, we could REALLY use a place to stay and some food and a hot bath. Or I could, I mean. We don't bathe together." She laughs a nervous laugh. "That'd be weird." She turns to Weiss: "Can you drive a truck? I only ask because I can't. I mean, I can drive a car or a motorcycle, but I figure a truck is different from a motorcycle. I'm not sure how different it is from a car, but if you can drive one that'd be better. A truck, not a car. We should be sure we can MOVE the thing before we take the job."

She watches him expectantly, nervous energy causing her to bounce lightly on her toes.

She gets momentarily distracted by the hustle and bustle of MercTown. "Do you think they have persimmons here? Every now and then down south we'd get some persimmons."


"Depends on the type of truck," Weiss stroked his beard, "I can drive quite a few things. Provided I don't need to do anything crazy, I might be able to."

ooc
He can drive tanks, APCs and heavy construction vehicles and hover vehicles. I figure he might be able to handle the basics, but we are scuppered if he has to do anything else.
User avatar
Weiss
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Zoe Barenger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:17 am

The Wolfen answer's Weiss' question, "How rude of my. Please call me Korrin." He gets back in his truck.

"Well, if you're ready, follow me."

To Korrin's House / The Warrens
User avatar
Zoe Barenger
Assistant Game Master
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:17 am
Location: AGM: Heroes for Hire

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Weiss » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:52 am

"Excuse me for a moment before we go." He told the others, pulling out a picture of Jazia with him and Zac.

He went back over to the guard and quietly showed him the picture.

"Excuse me, could you tell me if Jazia Weiss or Jazia Barrington has been admitted to Merctown recently? We got separated when our settlement got hit and I am trying to find her."

ooc
charm roll 1d100:
49
User avatar
Weiss
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Bettie Houser » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:43 am

Perception: 1d20+2 = 15:
13

JIC: 1d20:
16

JIC: 1d100:
68


Bettie slows to a halt on her hover-cycle and dismounts, stretching out her considerable muscles and popping a couple pieces of gum into her mouth. When asked to fill out anything she blows a big bubble, pops it loudly and states, "Dunno' how to read...", and proceeds to give her information verbally as well as handing over any weapons they don't want her taking into the city. Before departing she asks the guard a couple questions, "Hey, where's the nearest Juicer joint? And do you know of anyone hiring?".
Bettie Houser
M.D.C.: [180/180]
Armor:
- None
Weapons:
- NG-33
- Kisentite Sword

Misc.:
- Sunglasses
- Cred cards
- IRMSS kit
User avatar
Bettie Houser
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:10 pm

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Townsend » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Bettie Houser wrote:Bettie slows to a halt on her hover-cycle and dismounts, stretching out her considerable muscles and popping a couple pieces of gum into her mouth. When asked to fill out anything she blows a big bubble, pops it loudly and states, "Dunno' how to read...", and proceeds to give her information verbally as well as handing over any weapons they don't want her taking into the city.


The guard sighs a bit and nods. "Alright, then, I'll ask you the questions and write down your responses. And just a bit of friendly advice: be honest. The scans tend to know if your're lying." He then proceeds to ask Bettie a pretty standard list of questions for anyone entering a secure location for the first time -- name, hometown, purpose of her visit, special abilities, bionics/cybernetics, etc. -- and turns it around for her to sign (or at least put an "X" on the line). "MercTown is not only a neutral city-state but also a place of commerce with countless transients that come in all shapes, sizes and races." he says with the tone of someone who's repeated the same spiel ad nauseum day after day. "Laws in town are common sense. You damage property, you'll compensate the owner. Self-defense is unrestricted but unprovoked aggression and violence towards others -- especially citizens -- is a punishable offense. The same applies to magic. If you purchase any long arms, they'll be delivered to one of the gates where you can pick them up with a chit from the vendor." While she's signing he puts his finger up to his ear (obviously listening to a comlink) and nods. "Ayup, everything checks out and you're free to enter. Welcome to MercTown." He hands her a folded-up MercTown map. "Don't worry, you don't have to be literate to figure out the most popular spots on here."

Bettie Houser wrote:Before departing she asks the guard a couple questions, "Hey, where's the nearest Juicer joint? And do you know of anyone hiring?"


The guard chortles. "Ayup, pretty standard juicer question. Depends on what kinda action you're looking for -- the Blood Court is the place to go if you're into Deadball or Juicer Football, but if you want to run some... exotic... concoctions through your bio-comp then Nirvana's your stop. Fortunately for you they're next to each other. Maybe not so fortunately for you they're both in the Warrens district, and just so you understand you visit there at your own risk. Here, lemme show you..." He points the two locations out on her map and circles them with a red ink pen.

"Now as for leads on work, you'll want to hit the Job Market Cafe first. It's over here, in the Hub district..." he marks it on her map as well. "Most of the merc outfits advertise openings there. If you don't find any that suit ya I'd recommend asking around at the airport. You never know who's hiring for special jobs around there."

If there are no more questions, he waves her through on her hovercycle and into MercTown.
2017 "Epic Heroics" Adventure GM

GM of the General Investigation, Resolution & Liberation Services (G.I.R.L.S.) of Merctown

Image

"...and now they work for me."
User avatar
Townsend
Game Master
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:47 am

Re: Welcome to MercTown

Postby Bettie Houser » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:42 pm

((Rolls held over))

"Appreciate it.", Bettie thanks the guard before climbing on her hover-cycle and heading on through the gates for the Job Market indicated on the map.


Destination:
The Job Market Cafe (30)
Bettie Houser
M.D.C.: [180/180]
Armor:
- None
Weapons:
- NG-33
- Kisentite Sword

Misc.:
- Sunglasses
- Cred cards
- IRMSS kit
User avatar
Bettie Houser
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:10 pm


Return to Rifts Adventure Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron