Out of Character Discussion

Character sheets, catch-all thread, tinkerer's thread, OOC chat thread, and the like are in here.
GM: Zilant
AGM: Unnamed, OPEN POSITION

Moderators: Zilant, Game Masters, AGMs

Out of Character Discussion

Postby Zilant » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Here we go, a thread for everyone who needs to discuss anything and leave the discussion for others to look into later.
Zilant
Dimension Master

Re: Out of Character Discussion

Postby David Henderson » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Heyo all!

All right -- Dave is from out of town, but has spent nearly two years now on a gypsy lifestyle of travelling from city to city as his research into Nightlord activity suggests, actively fighting against the forces of darkness. So, he's not going to be a native to the city, but will have been in town for a little bit now, we're looking for him to have made contact with at least some of you at this point.

Does anyone have a good contact in their background who would have sent a Sword Bearer their way to help fight the good fight? Or, alternately, another plausible reason for contact to have been made?

I, personally, don't have a problem with having a group having come together with A having worked with B, and B also knowing C is a good guy, and C has done some investigative work with D, and so forth -- everyone being able to vouch for someone else and at least a couple people trusting each person on the team, to start. However, I don't know if Alan is on board with this, so that would be his call.
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Zilant » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:25 pm

I do not mind as long as you have reason to work together, it may be cliche to have a fight when you first meet, but in this setting that could get someone killed. Not to mention trusting someone after a major fight can lake a long time.
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby Simon Nash » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:43 am

You mention in your background about your sister and her husband dying.; perhaps the husband was the elder brother of the original Simon Nash and that's why he's sought him out.
Simon Nash
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Postby David Henderson » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:18 am

Hmmm. Possible, although I don't know if the ages really work out -- Dave's sister was, like, nearly twenty years older than Simon. She's more likely to have been a stepmother than a sister in law, unless there's a huge sibling age disparity going on somewhere. :) But we'll keep that as a potential link.
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Simon Nash » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:54 am

David Henderson wrote:Hmmm. Possible, although I don't know if the ages really work out -- Dave's sister was, like, nearly twenty years older than Simon. She's more likely to have been a stepmother than a sister in law, unless there's a huge sibling age disparity going on somewhere. :) But we'll keep that as a potential link.

A slightly different thought is that he was there at their murder and that is the incident that caused his breakdown

Would your brother in law being a reporter or blogger work?
Simon Nash
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Postby David Henderson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 am

Wasn't what I had floating around in my head, but it could work. The biggest problem being is that this happened a few years back now; it'd be odd timing to just come looking for him now.

Plus, on your end, maybe not a good idea to encourage someone to start digging into that part of your character's past. After all, you ARE the enemy, even if you're not aware of it. :D
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Simon Nash » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:26 am

Well i can legitimately say i killed what killed them.
Simon Nash
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Postby Zilant » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:02 am

I will mainly stay out of this discussion, as it should be hashed out by the players. Only if I see something that does not make game sense will I intervene.

Query for Simon: You mentioned something once about your human template being a traitor and serving the nightlords, which you inverted by turning traitor against the Nightlords. Are you still going with that?
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby Weiss » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:16 am

yeah, that's the plan. Some innocents get murdered in front of him and he basically snaps and has a breakdown resulting in him turning on the Nightlords in quite a definite manner, notably blowing the head of an Ashmedei
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Postby Zilant » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Weiss wrote:yeah, that's the plan. Some innocents get murdered in front of him and he basically snaps and has a breakdown resulting in him turning on the Nightlords in quite a definite manner, notably blowing the head of an Ashmedei

And then concluding that the traitorous Simon was the doppelganger while you are the real person...
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby Simon Nash » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:41 am

Exactly. Its all as flimsy as hell but he's convinced
Simon Nash
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Postby David Henderson » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:31 am

And the fact that he can lift thousands of pounds is just a result of excellent genes and lots of training? :P
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Zilant » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Not to mention heals 25 times as fast as normal, only needs 3-4 hours of sleep a night, and has like ten times the endurance of a Marathon runner...and does not need to eat or drink. A few details...
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby Simon Nash » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:12 am

well, the US military is prone to experimentation in fiction on its soldiers, so that's obviously what's happened here

Strength, just adrenaline

Training and experience is why he doesn't need much sleep

Still eats and drinks - doesn't realise he doesn't need to

and of course, the uber training that Team Epsilon received
Simon Nash
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Postby David Henderson » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:22 pm

It came up in chat that we could go a more coincidental route; David and Simon could have encountered each other coincidentally and mundanely, through a skilled-trades employment opportunity, David with electrical engineering and Simon with mechanical. After all, saving the world doesn't come with a paycheque.

I'd say something supernatural goes down, Vampire attack or Hound incursion or the like, and they both do something more than normal in reply.

Incidentally, David will likely be presenting himself as a Ken-type Nightbane, and will request any Nightbane he works with to keep the fact that he's not quiet. He'd rather people not know this is his actual appearance rather than a Physical Perfection Morpheous. :)
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Zilant » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:32 am

David's PB is not high enough to pass for a "Ken". Well, normally anyway. He might possibly pass for one with an Occupation morphus of "Suit" or "Uniform" or "Magic Weapon"...but he does not have the base HF of 6, so people will know he is not a Nightbane if they see him with them...
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby David Henderson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 am

Yes, but Dave's lore skills allow him to know a little but about Nightbane, but not enough to know that there's an underlying supernatural dread that he's missing.

And I thought Ken and Barbies were just Nightbane that weren't horrific in appearance; ones who could easily pass.
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Zilant » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:48 pm

David Henderson wrote:Yes, but Dave's lore skills allow him to know a little but about Nightbane, but not enough to know that there's an underlying supernatural dread that he's missing.

And I thought Ken and Barbies were just Nightbane that weren't horrific in appearance; ones who could easily pass.

True enough...now. Before a Barbie or Ken was always physically attractive as well as able to pass for human. the Nightbane Survival Guide and Dark Designs introduced a number of traits that can leave you looking human without making you attractive...there were pretty much none of those before the NSG.

I think there is an artifact trait that would let you have a false Nightbane aura (I would have to look to be sure).
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby Zilant » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:09 am

All Characters, what would be your rough schedule for a Thursday in October? I need to know what you would be doing when I start things.
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby David Henderson » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:15 am

6:30am: Get up, shower, get dressed, grab coffee and breakfast on the way to work.
8:00am-5:00pm: General labour for the landscaping company he's a temp hire for -- digging, leaf raking, irrigation system blowouts, etc. Lunch break from 11:30-12:30.
6:00pm: Back to his monthly-rental apartment to show, change clothes, have some dinner.
8:00pm-3:00am: Watch some TV, research into potential Dark doings locally, and potentially heading out and kicking ass with regards to what's uncovered.
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Simon Nash » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:14 am

4am up and about doing exercise to keep in trim (not that he needs to), check for messages from the ADA if they need him

7am at work called in to help deal with the damage caused by the storm.

6pm - 12 finished work, eat and investigate the Nightlords activity or assist the ADA in an operation

12-3 - sleep
Simon Nash
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Postby Jack Greenfield » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:45 am

Oct. 1 Schedule

6:00 a.m.: Up, throw on sweats, go for a run & some light calisthenics
6:30 a.m.: back at apartment to shower, eat, and dress for work. Watch news while eating.
7:30 a.m.: arrive at work, get call list, turn in paperwork from previous day's calls
8:00 a.m. - noon: out on calls.
    Jack expects a lot of today's calls, given the recent storm, to be at older houses (with fuse boxes instead of circuit breakers) with older residents (who perhaps do not know to use surge protectors for their PCs) using older hardware. As such, he expects a lot of data recovery, and a lot of unhappy clients as he tells them they will need new hardware.
    During calls, Jack takes note of any Nightbane he detects. On the rare occasion he notes one, he logs it into his cellphone in code to be forwarded later to the Underground Railroad via encrypted email
Noon: Lunch
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.: out on calls
5:30 p.m.: back at home.
6:30 p.m.: dinner, check personal emails
7:00 - 10:00 p.m.: free time - use to investigate/operate as directed by Underground Railroad or for leisure.
10:00 p.m.: nappy nap.
Jack Greenfield

Postby Augur » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:21 pm

For future reference: Gotta make threads like this stickies, Alan, otherwise they're not as easily found in a forum. (Already did so for you on this thread.)
Augur
Admin

Postby Zilant » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:33 pm

Thank you Augur. Not used to all the available options yet.
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby Alex Kowalski » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Alex's Schedule (most days, not just Oct 1)

8:00 AM - 8:30 AM Get ready for bed
8:30 AM Go to bed
8:30 AM - 3:00 PM Sleep
3:00 PM Wake up
3:05 PM - 3:30 PM Clean up, Eat breakfast, get dressed
3:30 PM - 5:00 PM Deal with life necessities
5:00 PM - 6:30 PM Evening Workout
6:30 PM - 7:00 PM Get ready for work
7:00 PM - 7:05 PM Call in to Spook Squad, see where he is working that night (Lab or field)
7:05 PM - 8:00 PM Get to work
8:00 PM - 7:00 AM Work
7:00 AM - 8:00 AM Get home, eat dinner

Alex I figure would be working the night shift, either assisting in other researchers projects, double checking the science etc, or working in the field as needed. I would assume with Spook Squad's human bias, he doesn't actually get to do much research of his own. His use to the (former?) PAB though as a field scientist would be hard to beat, what with being able to lay down the pain to critters, including vampires, in his Morphus.
Alex Kowalski
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Satya Patel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:45 pm

RL interfered, but will have a full history tomorrow. Have a plot in mind for it.
Satya Patel

Postby Satya Patel » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:23 pm

okay I have a basic history. Will add more and if anyone wants their character as part it..just let me know and I am willing to edit in my fellow players. It still needs some editing so now is the time to speak up.

Edit:
Also finally added a avatar. Hows it look?
Satya Patel

Postby David Henderson » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:41 am

High-maintenence. :D

Can we get a layout of the mechanics of Bold and Beautiful, for those of us who don't have the latest sourcebook?
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Zilant » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:09 pm

Easy Enough: +1d4+1 PS and PB, 6d6+10 to SDC, +1 to Awe/Horror Factor, +10% (in addition to MA or PB bonus) to Charm and Impress, +20% to Public Speaking and Seduction, -2 ME, -2d6 PPE base, -10% on all other skills
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby David Henderson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:06 pm

All right, I'm still kind of leery about none of the non-Nightbane characters having any vetted ties to the 'Bane. They'll all work together based on bonds of brotherhood if they have to, but why should they trust us outsiders?

Do any of you 'Bane want to have an earlier, positive encounter with Dave? It obviously would have been in your Morphus, which is why he has yet to recognize anyone in their Facade.

As for recognizing Dave, he's blending in with a table of blue-collars, totally understandable if he hasn't been spotted.

Just wanting to build some ties to smooth things along once we have reason to (dis)trust one another....
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Simon Nash » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:29 am

You mean they won't want to be Simon's friends?

I don't accept that; they will do as Simon Says

Seriously though, apart from providing a possible exit strategy for you, perhaps Simon as ADA or neutral got involved in an op with one of the faction members.

Again might recognise the Morphus rather than the person
Simon Nash
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Postby David Henderson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Seven months ago, outside Fort Wayne, OH.

Jack was with a small team of fellow faction members called together to form a retrieval cell. Intel had indicated there was a seventeen year old boy whose adoptive father was rumored to be abusive. Or had been, until he had been killed in one of the growing ‘mysterious animal attacks.’ Often the work of hounds, intel suggests that under yet another session of abuse the boy’s Becoming had taken him, and in the resulting backlash had killed his adoptive father, quite possibly unintentionally.

The mission; contact and extract, get the boy somewhere safe now that attention has been focused on his location, and get him help coming to terms with who he now is and what he might have done.

Arriving at the address showed that things had already gone wrong. A large black panel van was parked out front, and the front door was broken in off is hinges, light pouring out into the dark.

With an enormous crash, a dark shape came hurtling through an upper window and slammed to the ground in a shower of broken glass. The Hound was stunned, and the cell members were able to dispatch it before it could recover.

Rushing into the house they could hear gunfire erupt in the master bedroom, and climbing the stairs brought them to a battleground. A young ‘Bane with canid features and oozing lash marks struggled with a pair of Hounds, and would likely be in bad shape if it wasn’t for the Magic Armour spell protecting him. Another Hound was locked in a struggle with an invisible foe, snarling and cursing in its dark tongue.

There was the sound of several heavy blows, then the Hound spun away across the room. A moment later, with a wet sheering sound the hound’s arm simply came off at the shoulder, thumping to the carpet in a spray of gore.

With the Railroaders pitching in, the Hounds’ fates were foregone. The way this invisible force fought, Jack would have assumed it was another of their kind, were it not for the fact that he could sense none of the kinship that would be present.

Once the last Hound was dispatched the stranger dispelled his shroud, revealing a tall, powerfully built man in his middle years, apparently little worse for wear despite tussling with the supernatural.

When pressed for an explanation of his presence, he revealed that he had also followed the trail of unusual death, albeit with an idea that it had been a creature of the Dark who had perpetrated the deed. He had charmed his way inside to speak with the family, only to discover that the boy himself had been the attacker…and why.

He had come to find a monster, only to discover that the monster involved had already been dealt with.

The fact that he had been present when the kill squad had arrived on the same trail had proven fortunate for the boy, and less so for the Hounds. Leaving the new Nightbane in the care of his kin, he bid them farewell to sort out their messes.
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Zilant » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:22 am

General Information:

The Nightlord forces are on a schedule, this has nothing to do with the actions the players are taking. Certain things will happen in a certain order.

I will not tell you their tactics yet...but this is a fair warning that your time is now limited.
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby Weiss » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:43 am

As I can see in Simon's thread
Weiss
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Postby Zilant » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:55 am

Weiss wrote:As I can see in Simon's thread

Yep.
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby Augur » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Tomas Gunther wrote:My character Tomas is an arcane detective. At some point, he may have crossed paths with the others in the line of duty.

I see no Marketplace transaction enabling the character Tomas Gunther to exist.

Amelia Firesped--quit, right? If so, PM me a reminder to delete the account, please.
Augur
Admin

Postby Zilant » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Both Thomas and Amelia quit...Thomas apparently deleted most everything when he left.
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby Dhaltuun Onyxforge » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:06 am

Actually, tomas didnt quit. I thought i had a third slot open for characters, but i was mistaken. Need 7 ep for tomas to exuist. As soon as i have that, i will re apply.
Dhaltuun Onyxforge
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Spiderweb » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:58 am

I see..good thing I saved his character sheet then.
Spiderweb
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Ndreare - Rob Towell » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 am

As I understand it, I need to wait until Morphus is done before doing OCC and skills.

I am going to post tonight to itemize what I am selling back for EP. So I will know if I can afford whatever you come up with.

I am thinking I should have about 10-12.
One is an attribute boost, I would want to use on the character.
Ndreare - Rob Towell
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby David Henderson » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Two years ago, Pittsburgh, PA

Simon had his head down, ostensibly working as he cased the offices on the floor. The pose of mechanical engineer on call was a good one, and would definitely have to remain as part of his repertoire. His information about the series of suspiciously missing and presumed dead people in the area had lead him this far, but he wan't sure yet which business of the six present housed the likely culprit.

The elevator dinged, the doors opening to disgorge a man of the sort that Simon tended to dislike on sight; several inches taller, and looking to be in equally good shape. He was wearing similar workman's clothing, tool belt, and ball cap that Simon himself was, and seemed equally surprised to see him in return.

"Oh, hey, the newcomer said, waggling a clipboard in one hand. "Here to work on electrical issues." The tone was slightly guarded, and he regarded Simon warily.

"...mechanical," Simon replied, wondering what the likelihood of running into another repairman was, and the other man flashed him a smile,

"Guess the place is really messed up, huh?" the big guy said wryly, heading for the service panel Simon was loitering before, and the former Marine carefully prepared to defend himself if necessary.

Before anything could push things past the tipping point, the door to the psychiatrist's office further down the hall opened, the medical professional in question stepping out. He regarded the tableau for a long moment, apparently sensing the tension in the air...and then simply exploded out of his clothing, rapidly expanding into a large-mawed, tentacled horror.

Apparently the good doctor was actually an Ashmedai!

There was, what under other circumstances, a moment that would have been comical; both men started yelling and attempting to place himself between the monster and the other, until they both simultaneously realized they were playing 'protect the innocent' with the other. The realization came just in time for both to avoid the first lashing tentacle strike from the beast before leaping into the fray.

-= * * * =-

The hallway had taken some structural damage, one of the sprinkler heads had been decapitated and was pouring water onto the ichor-stained carpeting, and both men were liberally splattered themselves. The settling bulk of the Ashmedai was, fortunately, quite dead, and it was safe to say that the pair of them had saved the other from serious trouble at least once during the altercation. It was unclear as to just why the beast has revealed itself, but it was likely it had grown suspicious from the presence of the unlikely pair and perhaps sampled their emotions or thoughts. Regardless, either one alone would have had a good deal of trouble triumphing in such close quarters.

Neither seemed out of breath, and the look they shared was one of mutual, if grudging respect.

"Impressive," the other man complimented Simon. "Magic axe," he explained, tapping his chest with a thumb.

"Super soldier," Simon admitted, the corner of his mouth quirking slightly.

"Cool," was the reply, with a judicious nod. "Well, I sure as hell aren't going to clean this up; I'm out. Fight the good fight," he gave by way of a goodbye, and hit the crash bar for the stairwell at a run. Shaking his head, Simon headed for the opposite end of the hall for the other set of stairs -- that had been a Charlie Foxtrot, but what else was new?
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby David Henderson » Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 pm

I see a missing item from Satya's sheet -- an alias! What's her hacker handle? :P
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby David Henderson » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Yes, that's it, little moth; fly into the light....
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Return to Characters (6 Players, 2 Openings)