Simon Nash: Undercover

The world is threatened by darkness, monsters hide behind human faces and not everything is what it seems.

Moderators: Zilant, Game Masters, AGMs

Re: Simon Nash: Undercover

Postby Zilant » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:54 am

Simon points out to the others that 1) David needs a ride and 2) they should try to clean up a bit before they go, so the police and Nightlords can't find them (hopefully).

David helps pick up the dropped weapons and SWAT armor. Franklin searches for his lost pins. They are still at it when Satya asks someone to come in and give her a hand, while David suggests torching the parking lot to finish destroying the evidence. Franklin volunteers to deal with that so David goes in to help Satya.

Franklin starts laying down a coverage pattern when he spies the fuel tank that feeds the generator...well if he rips the side off that and sets fire to the fuel it will probably be faster. It is likely diesel, so it will take more heat to start than gasoline, but he can make it burn.

Inside, David holds up the Shadow Warlock until Satya finishes.

Simon pulls the van out of the parking lot when Franklin starts blasting, but he question remains, south through Warlords territory, or north to the junkyard? Simon starts north, because the police are probably coming from the south and will be here soon, so he will have to either continue North or turn on the next major road...probably have to turn left because he thinks there is a major nature preserve to the right that no streets go through.
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby David Henderson » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:52 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 89 / 31%
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 12 / 1d100 = 89
Initiative 1d20+1 = 4

Dave is taken a bit aback at the sight that greets him as he opens the back of the police van, but climbs on board and easily supports the man’s weight as the woman begins to carefully detach what probably aren’t healthy, life-saving medical implants from his body.

What the hell do you make of this? he asks Susan in the silence of their mind.

”Charming setup you have here,” the big man observes, as is his way dropping into sardonic comments to cover his unsettlement. ”Must be a real pain when someone calls a Chinese fire drill, am I right?” The back of a moving vehicle is far from the best locale for performing an operation such as this, but he holds the man still and does his best to minimize the reactions to the van’s movements.

”I’m Dave,” he introduces himself to the pair with a smile. He might be a little more worried about handing out his name to relative strangers if he hadn’t hacked this cover identity when he’d started working in the States in the first place.

He honestly isn’t even sure where any of his Canadian IDs are any more – it’s been a couple of years now since he’s been that man, and who knows if he’s ever going back to being him.

”Anyone know just what the hell is going on here?” he inquires cheerfully. ”’Cause, y’know, I was just at a bachelor party when all hells broke loose.” Well, mostly accurate – he had been investigating to see if there was, in fact, something off about Hush’s star attraction.

He’d...ended up discovering things went a tad deeper than that. It had been a busy hour....
David Henderson, Swordbearer
H.P.: 39/39
S.D.C.: 56/22 / Super Endurance (AR 10/SDC 100) / Magic Armour (AR 14/SDC 160)
Spells: 8/2
Super Endurance: 3/1
Super Endurance (11 melees remaining)
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Simon Nash » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Perception 37% 1d100 = 15
JIC 1d100 = 77 1d20 = 1
Initiative 1d20+1 = 2

David Henderson wrote:"...Steve Rogers, is that you?" Dave replies, a grin flashing across his face. "Helluva small world. Sorry I didn't get here a minute sooner, maybe keep those doggies from having your guts for garters," he apologizes wryly, although he's at least a little sincere in wishing he'd been able to assist a little sooner.

"You going to be okay, man? he inquires. It's been more than long enough since he's had first aid classes that he's not sure he'd do more good than harm if he was to attempt to bind his fellow warrior's injuries.

"I'll live. Had worse," Simon attempts to brush off his injuries, "time to catch up later. Right now, we need to escape. Make sure you catch that vehicle over there" he indicates his work van as part of plans to cover his absence.

"Contact suggests north to a junkyard, but I'd be happy to put something between us and the bad guys, so I'll have to move us over a block before I can take us south." he explains to the group. He pulls the truck out of the parking lot and heads initially north before heading into Warlord territory.

Looks like my van is going up in flames
Charming, tall and muscular
HP 26
SDC 55/73

Character Sheet
viewtopic.php?f=959&t=16709
Simon Nash
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Postby Franklin Jefferson » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:09 am

Perception: 1d100 = 66
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 10 / 1d100 = 57
Initiative: 1d20+3 = 12

Franklin declines the opportunity to cause a giant fire and potentially blow up a parking-lot full of cars, set buildings on fire, and otherwise cause a bunch of collateral damage.

He continues burning off the 'evidence' using his powers. When he's done, he flips to astral form and, if the car's in sight, he follows it. If it's out of sight, he looks for it in the general direction it went. If he find it, he follows it. If he's unable to find it, he goes home.

-8 PPE
We're surrounded by monsters. Especially on the inside.

P.P.E.: 61/96
H.P.: 18/18 [color=#FF0000]56/56[/color]
S.D.C.: 46/46 331/331
Horror Factor: 0/13

Number of Attacks: 2/5
Initiative Bonus: 0/+3
Strike Bonus: +2/+9 (+11 with Giant Pins)
Parry Bonus: +3/+11
Dodge Bonus: +3/+10 (+12 in Flight)
HTH Damage Bonus: 0/+19
Franklin Jefferson

Postby Satya Patel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 66/31
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 3 / 1d100 = 49

”Charming setup you have here,” the big man observes, as is his way dropping into sardonic comments to cover his unsettlement. ”Must be a real pain when someone calls a Chinese fire drill, am I right?” The back of a moving vehicle is far from the best locale for performing an operation such as this, but he holds the man still and does his best to minimize the reactions to the van’s movements.

"Hello Dave, I'm Satya..I should be done soon. this knife is sharp. fun part is him not falling on the hooks." she looks then again carefully cuts again, "You should see what I can do with Lego and on Emperyion..Also on Conan Exiles if I am feeling mid evil.." she adds. It would be rude to not give some name considering his intro and with no hounds around it was reasonably safe. New opportunities were all over the place. though the local police would be an issue with this event. One that could easily be turned to her advantage. Of course blame would be need to lay somewhere or rather on someone potentially. This would be a matter to deal with later. Also she would need to find someone with an interest in these. Her considerable range of lore could exploit this easily.

”Anyone know just what the hell is going on here?” he inquires cheerfully. ”’Cause, y’know, I was just at a bachelor party when all hells broke loose.” Well, mostly accurate – he had been investigating to see if there was, in fact, something off about Hush’s star attraction.

He’d...ended up discovering things went a tad deeper than that. It had been a busy hour....

"I was looking up a potential client when I was called in. From what I can tell the enemy has something that is dangerous. We were sent to deal with it. And here we are..with two new friends. Oh and thank you for holding him up. It makes this a lot easier." she answers looking up briefly then back to cutting the Shadow mage loose. Also looking at this mystery knife and reading Tolkien after the scan. The movies really did not touch on all the material. At least the lead characters did not get Gender swapped...
Satya Patel

Postby Zilant » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 am

Franklin decides against spreading the fuel, though the asphalt itself catches fire from the heat it should not burn long, he does not especially want to start a fire that could destroy a lot of property. In the process, he ignores the suggestion that Simon's vehicle be destroyed. Unknown to him, this may lead to problems later for Simon. The Van is still close enough by when he finishes for him to fly to it, but seeing the police are close enough that they start shooting at the tires as it pulls away, he elects to assume astral form so as not to get shot at himself.

David climbs in the back and assists in getting the Shadow Warlock down from the contraption he is in. Susan tells David she has never seen anything like the device before (Cybermagic is new, she has not encountered it). The Van pulls out of the parking lot and turns left, then after a brief time of accelerating turns left again. David does a reasonable job of compensating for the changes in velocity and direction. He can hear the sound of distant gunshots.

Satya is able to get the hooks out when they are in the longer stretch on Hill Street and David can put the Shadow Warlock down.

Simon Heads North on Reynolds, them turns West on Hill before heading South on Holland-Sylvania, passing the CYO Athletic Center where they seem to be having a Basketball game. Airport Highway is ahead, once pas that the van will be in Warlords Territory.

The Shadow Warlock answers David's question, "I suppose I know what is going on here. This device here is a compulsive magic amplifier built by that Cybermage there, it can access the spells and talents of anyone hooked up to it, including Nightbane and Shadow Warlocks, using them as the person controlling the system directs while keeping the person themselves from accessing them. It requires both a source of electrical power and a ley line to work. The Nightlords probably love the idea of turning the Nightbane's own magic against them. Killing him so he can not make more for them was probably a very smart idea...not sure if it should be left intact."

As you near Airport Highway you come into range of a more powerful Ley Line, presumably the reason the Nighlords did not use that one instead is the fact it runs through Warlords Territory.
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby David Henderson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:20 am

Perception: 1d100 = 29 / 31%
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 3 / 1d100 = 79

Dave has been trying to ignore the body in the van with them, but the Warlock’s story at least explains its presence. He’s not sure who ended up killing this ‘cybermage’, but he has to agree it seems like a necessary thing.

”I can’t see any legitimate reason to excuse the use of this technology,” he agrees. ”Seems a little too much like slavery to sit well with me.” Not to mention the way the ‘Bane had gone apeshit over the fact that they were locked into their human faces.

Given from the turns made in the van’s route, it seems that they are indeed heading for Warlord territory, and Dave takes a few moments to try and recall everything that might be relevant for the upcoming encounter.

On the same side against the Nightlords is one thing; being actual friendly allies is something else entirely....

Lore: Factions 1d100 = 63 / 65%
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Satya Patel » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 85
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 6 / 1d100 = 84

”I can’t see any legitimate reason to excuse the use of this technology,” he agrees. ”Seems a little too much like slavery to sit well with me.” Not to mention the way the ‘Bane had gone apeshit over the fact that they were locked into their human faces.

"I can see a good reason to keep it. Had we have not learned about the atomic bomb or used what medicine has learned from 'unethical' sources as well? We didn't make nor do we need to use it. We should learn about it and put it away as lesson of what not to create. it might be a stepping stone to a better kinder technology, Like that atomic bomb that lead to our current advances. In any case his plans might also be known to someone else..or someone like me read it and reproduce it. It would make sense for us to not destroy it until we get a better look at it to better counter such things." she offers as Satya checks the shadow mage.

"Now instead of calling you mage, shadow or some other absurd name what would you prefer we call you?" she asks the mage. Dave did have a point at the ethical dilemma. it was one well worth considering at some point. Just not now. When at war your enemies weapons were both a good source of intel and a means to understand them. It was one the things the MK project and various agencies fighting the the Nightlands and the dreaded foes there had to consider. Like the bomb and what medicine learned from the atrocities of the ages it was clear that even the most evil creations could be used for or lead to good results. Of course Satya was a more pragmatic than patriotic..that given the psychic was sure about one thing. This debate could wait.
Satya Patel

Postby Simon Nash » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:39 am

Perception 37% 1d100 = 19
JIC 1d100 = 771d20 = 9
Initiative 1d20+1 = 14

Unlike the others, Simon would have no qualms about using the Nightlords' weapons against them. They murdered his family and tried to replace him. Fighting fire with fire sounded good to him. If they could use the soldiers of the enemy to power the device, that would be poetic to him. It was a pity the cybermage was dead; not because Simon had any problem killing him, but because he was a source of intelligence that would have been useful

However, the furthest thing from his mind at this time was a philosophical debate considering they were still in danger.

"Keep your head down," he calls into the back as some of the officers opened fire and tried to take out their tyres, but he is able to keep the vehicle moving onto the highway. He kept looking back, expecting trouble behind them in the form of police pursuit.

"Now would be a good time to let the Warlords know we are coming and not target this van and so we can hide it as well."
Charming, tall and muscular
HP 26
SDC 55/73

Character Sheet
viewtopic.php?f=959&t=16709
Simon Nash
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Postby Franklin Jefferson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 46
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 18 / 1d100 = 71

Franklin keeps pace inside the van, staring at the rest of these people, even though they can't stare back. If he's in range of the ley line, he draws PPE from it.

Whatever kind of power this guy has, even if he used it unwillingly, I have to make sure no one can ever do that to me again...
We're surrounded by monsters. Especially on the inside.

P.P.E.: 61/96
H.P.: 18/18 [color=#FF0000]56/56[/color]
S.D.C.: 46/46 331/331
Horror Factor: 0/13

Number of Attacks: 2/5
Initiative Bonus: 0/+3
Strike Bonus: +2/+9 (+11 with Giant Pins)
Parry Bonus: +3/+11
Dodge Bonus: +3/+10 (+12 in Flight)
HTH Damage Bonus: 0/+19
Franklin Jefferson

Postby Satya Patel » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Roles maintained

"Now would be a good time to let the Warlords know we are coming and not target this van and so we can hide it as well."

"I'll start calling ahead and find a contact. Dave, if you know anyone in the area it would help. just be sure not to mention our weapon..We don't need them going after us too. We will show it to them on our own terms. I need to focus. If you gentlemen could keep an eye out. While I'm online I will see about getting clean plates and getting this vehicle off the radar as well." she looks to her Laptop then focuses on her telemechanics. This part was always an odd experience it was like swimming in a sense the of the distortion water had. After some training you could read the distortions and navigate easily. It was when paths were clearly laid out you had to be weary.

"Lets see do I have any clients or standing contracts in the area? Edward might know someone I'll leave message for him to call me. Also I need to find a paint store." she thought to her self. Telemechanics did help

Checking for:
Contacts she knows in the area (ex-clients, sub-contractors she has worked with and so forth..even ex-Overmind or PAB contacts)
Paint shops or Chopshops with lots of paint (to paint the truck if they decide to do so.)
Set up a fake plate for the vehicle

OOC Comments
Telemechanics
1d100 = 59 /80%
Die rolls: (if needed)
Computer Operation 1d100 = 45 /73%
Computer Operation 1d100 = 79 /73%
Computer Programming 1d100 = 18/63%
Computer Programming 1d100 = 94/63%
Computer Hacking 1d100 = 93/58%
Computer Hacking 1d100 = 3/58%
Streetwise 1d100 = 87/53%
Streetwise 1d100 = 17/53%
Streetwise 1d100 = 39/53%
Lore: Vampires 1d100 = 12/43%
Lore: Factions 1d100 = 94/53%
Lore: Nightbane 1d100 = 68/53%
Barter /51%
Satya Patel

Postby David Henderson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:27 pm

(Rolls Carried)

Dave isn't certain that there have been any beneficial advances of any significance based on, say, atomic bombs, but arguing the point wouldn't get them anywhere. Studying the tech to better understand how it works, however, is certainly good tactical sense. Far easier to take something apart if you have any idea of how it was put together in the first place.

"I'm not really local; no contacts to speak of in the area," he apologizes, bracing himself as the van sharply turns another corner. He regards Satya staring at her laptop for a few long moments, wonder what's going on.

"You...gonna open that up and go online?" he asks, wondering what she's mentally preparing herself for.
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Zilant » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Franklin quickly catches up with the Van, staying astral for now. He listens in on the conversation, and hears the astral echos of the thoughts behind the spoken words. It sounds as if the power that forced him to remain human was something this "Shadow Warlock" has, that was used by force through the strange device he is hooked to. Killing him would remove the threat...at least HIS threat, but it currently seems likely that the other in the van would not approve.

Satya and David are debating whether they should destroy the device when Simon suggests that now would be a good time to let the Warlords know you are coming, Satya starts to take out her laptop, then remembers, while it was used for other things, this van has a lot of pretty good communications gear in it. She can make contact using that, the panel that was knocked out has other uses. The Warlords often listen to police frequencies and frequently use CB radios. She can easily access either one.

She quickly send out a call. While they do not answer via Radio, shortly after you cross Airport Highway there is an eerie howl followed shortly by the sounds of a number of motorbikes approaching.

Simon can see the dark grey form of a giant greyhound, whose bones are picked out with glowing marks on her nearly hairless hide making her seem like an animated bone dog from a distance. Baskerville, he knows she is called, a Nightbane whose form is that of an animal...and who is fast enough that she can likely outrun this van. He can hear motorcycles, though they seem to be running without lights, making them hard to see.

The Shadow Warlock says after some thought, "Call me Cien." As that means "Shadow" in polish, it is reasonably sure it is not his actual name.

(OOC: Satya failed her lore rolls, but I gave her the information that the Warlords monitor police and CB for free. David made his roll, and recognized Baskerville who is a member of the Warlords. Additional information is that the Warlords are the largest group in terms of numbers because they let in others. While they espouse the believe that Nightbane are the next evolution of humanity they are willing to let others join, including normal humans. They are mainly a motorcycle gang, and are involved in a number of illegal activities including but not limited to protection, drug trade, and prostitution. They mainly stay on this side of the Mirrorwall and many of them do not seem to believe in the Nightlords, but they dislike the police and outside authority.)
Zilant
Dimension Master

Postby David Henderson » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:18 am

Perception: 1d100 = 12 / 31%
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 5 / 1d100 = 57

The bone-chilling howl sends shivers up Dave’s spine, and he shudders involuntarily.

”Who let the dogs out?” he mutters, before raising his voice to be heard by the others.

”Sounds like Baskerville is with them; he’s a canine ‘Bane, if you haven’t met him, and he’s the kind of guy you can’t outrun, if what I hear is true.” He ordered his thoughts, considering how best to approach this.

”Quick Warlord primer for anyone who isn’t familiar with them; mostly a biker gang with all that entails, ‘Bane and normals both, not a lot of respect for authority or the cops. They’re not big on the whole Nightlords angle of things, so we should downplay it.”

Getting up and bracing himself against the swaying of the van, he makes his way to the back doors and peers out at the ‘escort’ they’ve picked up.

”I say play it straight; we got caught up in an unlawful raid by the cops on a strip club, kicked their sorry asses, stole a van full of equipment and an unlawfully detained hostage, and are hoping to take a route that the cops are too scared to follow, thanks to the Warlord’s very impressive reputation.” True, all of it – strictly speaking. There are nuances, of course, but this story has the best chance of being favourably received, that he can see.
David Henderson
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Satya Patel » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Perception: 1d100 = 40
JiC d20/d100: 1d20 = 17 / 1d100 = 36

”I say play it straight; we got caught up in an unlawful raid by the cops on a strip club, kicked their sorry asses, stole a van full of equipment and an unlawfully detained hostage, and are hoping to take a route that the cops are too scared to follow, thanks to the Warlord’s very impressive reputation.” True, all of it – strictly speaking. There are nuances, of course, but this story has the best chance of being favourably received, that he can see.

”Quick Warlord primer for anyone who isn’t familiar with them; mostly a biker gang with all that entails, ‘Bane and normals both, not a lot of respect for authority or the cops. They’re not big on the whole Nightlords angle of things, so we should downplay it.”

They must be war lords.a perfect opportunity for us to gain contacts and allies possibly.

"I would not mention the stolen equipment they may try and take it as trade. Never give a potential enemy ammunition in any negotiation.. Good rep or not. I do agree we should be open with the rest of our story. It will get us on their good side and keeping who is chasing us simple and not mentioning the Nightlords would be wise. Given our collective skills, a pair of nightbane we should be fine. In return for safe passage I'm more than happy to offer services as an info broker. It would be incentive to offer us help and make friends. If play our cards right even get an HQ in there turf. she added. Tales of the battle against 'authority' was a good call.

"How many of them, Dave? Cien nice to meet you. Call me Satya." Satya asked as she works the comm system. Today was interesting a shadow mage and War Lords...this should be fun.
Satya Patel

Previous

Return to Adventures