Beyond Broken Door

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Wed May 22, 2019 9:50 am

(Rolls carried)

Barracuda watches with a jaw drop of surprise as the Panda's Box situation continues for way longer than he thought it would. When Weiss and Grant try to squash it, he makes things just a liiiittle difficult for them. "Oh, Panda was very very real. You see Panda not only opened the box, but legends say that she wanders the world attempting to close every box ever to repent for like letting the bad stuff out." Play it cool, play it cool. Barracuda does not play it cool. He starts a sputtering laugh that while adorable (he's having fun) is also really ugly (is that actually spit? Gross!). He looks to see what Yojimbo's response will be.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Wed May 22, 2019 11:29 am

Rolls carried

Barracuda wrote:"Oh, Panda was very very real. You see Panda not only opened the box, but legends say that she wanders the world attempting to close every box ever to repent for like letting the bad stuff out." Play it cool, play it cool. Barracuda does not play it cool. He starts a sputtering laugh that while adorable (he's having fun) is also really ugly (is that actually spit? Gross!). He looks to see what Yojimbo's response will be.


At this point, Weiss facepalms as Ben speaks, his hand staying flat against his faceplate for several seconds as Weiss mumbles obscenities under his breath.

Frakking help me but at the same time, I guess they need the release. It has been one of those days!

Taking a second not to swear out loud, he turns to look at Grant and shrugs as if to say so Frakking help me!
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Wed May 22, 2019 11:55 am

Barracuda wrote:Barracuda watches with a jaw drop of surprise as the Panda's Box situation continues for way longer than he thought it would. When Weiss and Grant try to squash it, he makes things just a liiiittle difficult for them. "Oh, Panda was very very real. You see Panda not only opened the box, but legends say that she wanders the world attempting to close every box ever to repent for like letting the bad stuff out." Play it cool, play it cool. Barracuda does not play it cool. He starts a sputtering laugh that while adorable (he's having fun) is also really ugly (is that actually spit? Gross!). He looks to see what Yojimbo's response will be.


Legends? Yojimbo begins to realize that Panda just might be a story rather than an actual person they need to find. When Barracuda cannot contain himself, Yojimbo's suspicions are confirmed.

Realizing that it is all a big joke at his expense, the Holy Terror takes it in a good-natured way, extending the benefit of the doubt to his new companions.

Perhaps this is a "hazing" ritual of some sort... he thinks to himself. I shall play along...

He points at the box: "Then we have nothing to fear, for Panda's spirit will protect us!" he exclaims matter-of-factly as he walks over and slowly begins to reach for the lid...
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Wed May 22, 2019 12:59 pm

(Rolls carried over)

Ashlynn is, for a change, at a loss for words as her metaphor of Panda's Box has spiralled away from her, taking on a life of its own.

Jack wrote:”listen big guy, this is a sad sad story but I’m gonna tell you anyway because I think you can handle it. In fact, I know you can. Panda opened the box and the box killed her. Yep. It straight up killed her. She is dead and gone and there is nothing we can do about it now. Panda is gone! What we have is her box and we want to know what was so special in the box that made Panda open it. It had to be special right? I mean why else would Panda have opened it. And now that she is dead there is no way she can tell us what is in it. So we want to open the box and find out what panda found.”


"Wait I only meant..."

Weiss wrote:"There is no Panda,"


"No of course I..."

Grant wrote:"If the creator of whatever is in the box was named 'Panda' that would be an extreme coincidence.


"But I never meant to..."

Weiss wrote:"Guys and gal, I don't think he got your joke at all, would one of you like to explain please?"


"I was only saying..."

Barracuda wrote:"Oh, Panda was very very real. You see Panda not only opened the box, but legends say that she wanders the world attempting to close every box ever to repent for like letting the bad stuff out."


"But I... wait, what?"

Yojimbo wrote:"Then we have nothing to fear, for Panda's spirit will protect us!"


"YOJIMBO NO!"

Ashlynn leaps upon the iron behemoth, pulling at his arm ineffectually.

"IT! WAS! A! METAPHOR!"
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Wed May 22, 2019 1:23 pm

rolls carried

Yojimbo wrote:He points at the box: "Then we have nothing to fear, for Panda's spirit will protect us!" he exclaims matter-of-factly as he walks over and slowly begins to reach for the lid...


Oh you have got to be frakking kidding me.

Weiss steps in front of Yojimbo, as he waves his arms to get the big robot..golem... thing's attention. He suspects that if Yojimbo really wants to open it, then he was not going to be able to do much, but at least it gave the others chance as Ash leaps onto his arm screaming.

"Do not open that frakking box Weiss shouts at Yojimbo, voice stern and unforgiving, making it very clear not to mess around with it

Only now was it dawning on Weiss that the box was scaring him a bit; it was stored in a place that drained magic, where cursed and dangerous items were stored and maybe the only reason it was not currently dangerous was because it was drained. That meant being back here would cause it to regain magic .. maybe. Question for Grant and not something he wanted to test because this lot were being idiots.

"That box does not get opened until it has been thoroughly checked." he stares at Yojimbo, trying for eye to eye contact despite the height differential.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Wed May 22, 2019 2:05 pm

**rolls held**




After a tense moment, with Weiss and Ashlynn pulling out the stops to stop the armored behemoth from opening the box, he pauses and holds still for just a few moments... but then, a sound emerges.

It begins softly, and then rises in volume and intensity until Yojimbo's booming laugh echoes throughout the room.

Roaring with laughter, he stops reaching for the box and instead points at the others in the group as he almost doubles over.

Who's laughing now? he thinks to himself, having turned the tables and becoming the prankster.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Fri May 24, 2019 5:50 am

(rolls carried over)

As Yojimbo laughs and points, Ash clings unceremoniously to his arm, a wide-eyed look on her face. She releases her grip and drops to the floor.

She stands, angry at first at the thought of everyone making a joke of her honest metaphor... but then, watching Barracuda and Yojimbo laughing, she begins to chuckle. She sees Weiss' angry face. Her own face flushes beet red, and she splutters out laughing, placing a hand on the table to steady herself.

She laughs, or more aptly, she howls, releasing all the tension built up in her over the course of the day. The fight against the Sunaj and her own near-death - gone. The trip beyond broken door, the dead-lands, and McGrath all withered and weak - gone. The rush out of the dead-lands, the world draining away as Grant opens the door with every iota of his will, and the final escape - gone.

She sinks to her knees as her laughter finally fades, and tries to catch her breath. She's tired, and hurt... but her soul is unburdened.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Tue May 28, 2019 5:09 pm

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 12:00pm
Climate: 55F, Sunny with a strong breeze out of the north west
Visibility: 1 miles
Terrain: Affluent residential neighborhood
Active Radio Traffic
Heavy magic activity within 500ft


With permission granted, Beltin sets about probing the depths of McGrath's mind. His exploration is not a short endeavor. Traversing the paths of the professor's fractured mind is difficult. It's clear the professor has defenses but even so, the organization of his memories and thoughts is unusual but likely also intentional.

Dictating to whoever is taking notes, a long, twisted story is unwound. It all starts with Connor's grandfather, John. He had left a journal to Connor's father. In it was notes, drawings and directions to a lost city he had found in a distant land. It wasn't just a collection of ruins but a city that could move itself anywhere in the world, or so the journal detailed. Eventually John stopped researching Whither Gate, perhaps to raise a family, but nothing is known for sure. Either way, later after John's passing, Connor's father, Carter, would discover the journal and focus all his efforts on rediscovering the city. He would enlist the help of his son Connor and claim the fame of this discovery. The journal turned out to be encoded but eventually they decrypted enough to begin putting pieces together.

They would make contact with Horne. Horne would relate how years earlier, he had introduced an associate of his named Claude to John to help in bringing the lost city to life. John had come to his friend Horne with his new discovery looking for intellectual and financial support and they invited Claude to join them in their inevitable fame. Claude would travel with John to the Whither Gate and discover several of its secrets before he his real agenda was discovered. Claude was an agent for a being called Thulabrax. Claude died and John would never return to the Whither Gate. Later several bands of mercenaries and notable heroes would storm the temple of Thulabrax, known as White Fang. Horne was among them. The creature would be destroyed and among the treasury left behind, notes Claude had provided to Thulabrax was found. Apparently the creature had designs to use the city as a weapon to subjugate major cities to feed its endless appetite for blood and power.

Horne passing that information on to Carter and Connor didn't slow them down at all. Unfortunately it seemed to fuel the mania that was building within them. With John's journal they did indeed make their way to the location of the Whither Gate. The cold was bitter and the mountain where the city lay was covered in a ley line storm that never ends. The locals, who spoke an odd tongue, said it had been that way all their lives. It was so impassable that they had to invest their magic with people in the town so they could approach the Whither Gate without being destroyed.

Unfortunately what they took to be the entrance had suffered a cave-in. They labored for weeks trying to uncover the path to the Wither Gate. The locals would not approach the mountain and they already were becoming distrustful of others and would not bring anyone else from Lazlo for fear of betrayal. Returning back to the town the retrieved their magic and made to teleport back. Unfortunately the spell went horribly wrong, sending them to Atlantis and landing them in the hands of the Splugorth.

John's journal was discovered on their person. A being known as Otoxolyth would end up buying them as slave stock. Once within his grasp, it would have them tortured and everything they knew would be pried from them by force, save for one thing... the journal. The journal was written in code, which defied all attempts to decipher. Unfortunately even they had not broken the code entirely, though Otoxolyth didn't stop their months long interrogation.

Eventually Carter effected Connor's escape along with recovery of the journal at the cost of his own life. Connor eventually returned through obscure paths to Lazlo. He developed a deep fear of teleportation. Also his time working with the Whither Gate combined with long stretches of isolation and the lingering affects of torture changed him. He was suspicious and cautious. He moved around often and tried to keep Elizabeth at a distance for her own safety. Elizabeth's urging to get a normal job helped as did the move to Merctown. He eventually came to trust Stephanie Belara enough to enlist her to help him with the Whither Gate. However he became aware of attempts at scrying and other surveillance. So he put a plan into place to escape. Bogg was hired but a little too late. Quickly Bogg became a target as well. So they went on foot to Dwoemer. Once there Connor made contact with Horne. While he stayed there for a while, eventually other goals took over. His interest in Dwoemer was more than just the estate of Mr. Horne. There in the city lay the Broken Door and what Horne had placed in it. Horne knows of the door as he had placed something that John had brought back fifty years earlier. Connor and Horne believe it to be a power source for the Whither Gate. In the journal there is an illustration but the accompanying notes have not been deciphered.

Connor made plans to enter Broken Door and had several mana storage gems which he planned to get him out. Unfortunately the black fog would drain them and his predicament inside the house left him trapped. He hoped that Horne would come for him but time lost meaning to him there and he only focused on not losing the case to anyone. He had lost track of how much time had passed and grew more unstable. Though the Heroes avoided sleeping in Broken Door, Connor's mind reveals vivid nightmares during his time there when he would close his eyes out of exhaustion. His final memory is that of the Heroes rescuing him and his anxiety at Trash Mountain.

Beltin wipes it away, but leaves portions of his experiences in Atlantis, what happened to his father and a few other details in a general haze, just enough to keep him aware so as not to be blind sided. He preserves as much as he can, but a large amount is simply lost to remove the manic focus. It consumed so much of his life, it can only be a hole.

Others are left to wander the mansion. Bogg wakes up at the crack of noon just as Beltin is finishing his efforts on McGrath. Beltin runs a hand over his sweating face and collapses in a chair in the study, utterly exhausted. Elizabeth looks uncomfortably at Beltin but thanks him. "Thank you, thank you all. If there is anything I can do, oh yes." she seems to remember something, retrieving a secured card. "One million credit, as promised. As I was saying, if there is anything I can do, please let me know. However, please never contact Connor about the Whither Gate or any of this. Ever. And here, take this with you." she withdraws a green book. It is John McGrath's journal with additional notes by Carter and Connor.

While Ronith, Beltin and Grant are settling things with Elizabeth, Horne finds Ashlynn and looks at her disfigured arm. He smiles though. "So, how about dinner? I believe we still have business."

Horne also produces his payment as well for the rescue of McGrath. "One million in certified gems. Though I can pay in other manner if you prefer." he says, laying out a leather briefcase. Opening it, the felt lined interior displays a hundred fine diamonds that twinkle in the accent lighting of the lounge.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Wed May 29, 2019 5:11 am

Perception: 1d100:
76
/37%
JIC(20): 1d20:
6

JIC(100): 1d100:
89


Skill Rolls
Whittling & Sculpting (a lotus petal) -- 1d100:
29
/42%
Play Musical Instrument (Flute) -- 1d100:
32
/42%





Yojimbo listens to the story as dictated by Beltin. He does not have much context, but pieces it together as it is told.

After the story is told, Yojimbo spends his time working on a carving - that of a lotus petal. When completed, he manifests his Ectoplasm hand and gives the carving to Elizabeth.

"This man has seen and experienced much pain and suffering. It is my hope that this small token will remind him that there is still beauty in the world to be appreciated," he says to her, gesturing to McGrath.

After, Yojimbo retreats to a relatively secluded area where he plays his flute. The music carries him away, taking him back to the place from whence he came, and engaging his mind in peaceful meditation and reflection.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Wed May 29, 2019 5:26 am

Perception: 76% /81% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100:
90

JIC: 1d20:
4

1d100:
83


As Beltin plumbs the depths of McGrath's mind, and wipes away the memories that torment him, Ashlynn collapses onto a couch and falls utterly asleep. Boots still on, body curled into a ball, drooling a little bit, SLEEP.

Her rest is largely unplagued by dreams, though she does have on in which she's in a misty city, looking for something... someone? It seems naggingly familiar. Someone missing? She's known and lost so many people - her parents, all the members of Myrmidon's Might - Pangur Ban and the rest. So who could be missing? She wanders the streets of her mind aimlessly, the mists parting only enough to show her the ground under her feet and the vague outlines of the buildings beyond. In the shadows beyond she sees furtive movement - perhaps some small animal. But who or what she is searching for is not given to her to know... at least, not this night.

The dull ache in her right arm and the stirrings of other living people about the house awaken her. She finds herself well-rested, but feeling somehow empty. Wandering to the Horne manor's kitchen, she scavenges a meal from the pantries and larders, throwing together whatever smells good onto a plate, oblivious to the time of day and social norms. This she takes to a window seat and eats cold - a habit she'd grown accustomed to due to her life on the road - as she stares at the city of wonders on the other side of the glass.

Dweomer! I'd always dreamed of coming here. Of course, in my mind I had money to waste and no Sunaj assassins trying ta kill us. I wonder if they're still out there? Surely, now that they've failed, they'll creep back off to whatever hole they crawled outta. She rubs her right arm absent-mindedly, trying to ease away the ache. I wanna go out and see all the wonders and spend entirely too much ... but I promised John I'd help find his wife... and I have a plan for that money. Still... maybe I can spend... a little?

Her yearning to see and acquire fascinating ephemera is almost too much to bear, but she knows better than to wander the streets of a strange city injured and alone.

If she finds Weiss or Barracuda, she smiles at them. "Hey! How'd ya sleep? I slept fine. Couch was a little small - does Horne have a cat? Anyhow, do ya think we'll have a chance to explore Dweomer? It'd be heavily uncool if we got to come to Dweomer and it was all business, then I'd be like 'Hey I went to Dweomer once!' and folks'd go 'really, what's it like?' and all's I could say would be 'I dunno I was busy tryin' not to die' and stuff. This is a big ol' magical town and now that the job is done maybe we can take a couple hours and see the things and do the things and maybe buy some small trinkets or a magical pet or a dragon even though I know Sir Ronith said no dragons because they might destroy the HQ."

If anyone offers, she will seize the chance to explore and shop, before returning a couple hours later to Horne's manor.




If shopping happens

Ashlynn's priorities are:

One nice dress or other clothes and shoes so she doesn't look like a bodyguard when she goes out to dinner. Even minor magical clothes if within budget (Federation of Magic, revised, p. 146 - she'd flip for a dress that changes colors). Budget: 500 to 1000 Credits

Any sort of magical doodad or geegaw that looks fun - can be utterly frivolous. (budget - under 2000 Credits)

The pièce de résistance though, would be if she happens to find Friendly Fred's familiar Farm, and can afford to have a Bookwyrm (Rifter 21), SwitchCat (Same book), or Action Golem (same book) bound to her as a familiar. (budget - up to 250,000 Credits? - would prefer a Bookwyrm if given the option)




Horne wrote:"So, how about dinner? I believe we still have business."


Ashlynn squints at the... man?

Eyeball a Fella 74% 1d100:
83


She nods. "That's right... we do. I buy you dinner and you tell me what kinda thing you are. And maybe I'll tell you what kinda thing I am."

Ashlynn will let Horne select the restaurant, and will happily go with him, chattering endlessly on the way.

"What's the food situation like in Dweomer? Do they do magical stuff to it? Like can your food glow or change shape or taste different with each bite? Or do they just do normal human-compatible food here, like everywhere else. I think if I were a chef in a magical city I'd wanna do a whole munch - I mean BUNCH, hahaha, a whole bunch a' gimmicks so that my food'd be different from everyone else's. I guess none o' that matters much if the food isn't tasty to start with though, is it? Do you eat out much Mr. Horne? I only ask because I raided your kitchen earlier for food and there was, like, a LOT. Like, I know people who don't cook much and their kitchens are pretty spottin'* because they eat at restaurants so much and I figure yeah, if you eat out all the time you ain't gonna have much in the ol' kitchen, if you know what I mean..."

OOC Comments
*She means Spartan
Last edited by Ashlynn on Wed May 29, 2019 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Wed May 29, 2019 5:44 am

Perception: 1d100:
45

JIC: 1d20:
11
and 1d100:
74


Jack sits back and listens, Blah, blah, blah blah, blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah blah. Holy cow, this dude has a lot to wipe away. But what is in the box? When he finally pieces together from the story that the item in the box is just a power source all expectation pours from him like a water fall. His shoulders drop and he tilts his head slightly to the left.

"Wait, so no evil jin? No crazy interdimensional ghost with a vendetta against humanity? Not even an elemental sprite who like to play jokes on people? Really? What killed Panda then?" He looks around at the group shaking his head after asking the barrage of questions. "So this whole time we have been worried about opening the box and looking at a battery? So, no big deal we pulled it out of pleasentville? Slightly disappointed that nothing jumped out of the box and tried to kill the group Jack walks out of the room and back out to the boar and tidies up his belongings.

Well I guess with it all said and done they won't be needing me anymore, Jack thinks to himself. It was fun while it lasted. I guess its back to Merctown to see if anyone else has work. Unless... Maybe... Nah. He wouldn't. Would he? Maybe. I should ask.

Jack finishes packing his things and sets out to find Ronith, when he does he asks the man, "So... is that it? You guys got other plans? We gonna hunt down Candie Man?" He pauses for a second then says, "I guess what I am asking is, do you have a more long term spot on the team for me? I get it if you don't. Not everybody wants a pretty boy like me hanging around stealing all the ladies and all. Was just wondering that's all."
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Wed May 29, 2019 7:57 am

"So this whole time we have been worried about opening the box and looking at a battery? So, no big deal we pulled it out of pleasentville?


Beltin looks at Jack thoughtfully. Well, if the Whither Gate really is a city, and it can teleport its mass in its entirety on the fuel contained in this box, the fuel is unlike anything I know. The energy contained in it could possibly be staggering. McGrath doesn't know anything about the fuel from a technical standpoint, so it's not a lot to go on, but even from a magical standpoint the energy that would be required to teleport a whole city would be gargantuan.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Wed May 29, 2019 12:36 pm

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100:
6

JIC: 1d20:
5
, 1d100 = 58

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 14
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 54/78
  • P.P.E.: 357/610
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


Grant sitting opposite Professor McGrath, takes notes on what Beltin pulls from his mind. He compares the unfolding story to what he and the others had deduced along the way.

A lost city that can move around? A pocket dimension similar to the Broken Door? The entrance to it can be moved around. I wonder what would have happened if we'd tried to take the Broken Door out of Dweomer since it appeared to be a fractured reflection of Dwoemer itself?

Three generations of McGraths on this quest. Grant shakes his head as he draws a diagram of the people connected to Connor. He taps his pen on the name Otoxolyth. We've made an enemy of him for sure.

Elizabeth wrote:Beltin runs a hand over his sweating face and collapses in a chair in the study, utterly exhausted. Elizabeth looks uncomfortably at Beltin but thanks him. "Thank you, thank you all. If there is anything I can do, oh yes." she seems to remember something, retrieving a secured card. "One million credit, as promised. As I was saying, if there is anything I can do, please let me know. However, please never contact Connor about the Whither Gate or any of this. Ever. And here, take this with you." she withdraws a green book. It is John McGrath's journal with additional notes by Carter and Connor.



When Beltin is done, he looks up from his notes at the young master psychic. Concern can be seen in Grant's eyes as he sees the strain of effort on Beltin's face. It's crass, but I can see why people with psionic powers as great as his are known as Mind Melters. He has hopefully set Connor on the path of healing the huge psychic wound caused by this quest, but the cost was most of the man's memories.

Grant holds out his hand to accept the journal, "Thank you Mrs. MacGrath, we can only hope that he's willing to give up this quest and let us pick up the burden. Knowing that they were able to find the Whither Gate from the journal is encouraging." He takes it and puts it in one of his dimensional pockets. That should put a crimp on any attempts to scry it.

The Lord Magi moves across the room to Beltin and casts Cleanse upon him and says, "Sometimes actual sleep is better than a magical restorative, but if you wish I can cast some magic to keep you alert." If he agrees, he casts Sustain (and if it's not still active from when he cast it upon him prior to entering the Broken Door.

Jack wrote: "So this whole time we have been worried about opening the box and looking at a battery? So, no big deal we pulled it out of pleasentville?


Beltin wrote:Beltin looks at Jack thoughtfully. "Well, if the Whither Gate really is a city, and it can teleport its mass in its entirety on the fuel contained in this box, the fuel is unlike anything I know. The energy contained in it could possibly be staggering. McGrath doesn't know anything about the fuel from a technical standpoint, so it's not a lot to go on, but even from a magical standpoint the energy that would be required to teleport a whole city would be gargantuan."


Grant considers Jack's question and Beltin's answer. "With an entrance through a cave, I suspect that this is more like the Broken Door, the entrance can move, but the city itself doesn't. There are places that phase in and out tangibility, Fadetowns, because of ebbs and flows of ley line energy, this may be another possibility for what is happening. A source of energy other than P.P.E. sounds critical if there is a constant ley line storm present. Perhaps we need to contract a techno-wizard back in Merc-Town or here to examine the fuel."

When Ashlynn suggests exploring Dwoemer (to Sir Ronith since she's asked Weiss and Barracuda), he adds, "I will need to replenish my energy at a nexus to be able to transport us home in any event. If there is time, I too would like to visit the city."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Wed May 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Perception: 1d100:
73
/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20:
11
/1d100:
15


After the hilarity of the box joke, Ben sits and listens to the reality of the situation as pulled from McGrath's mind by Beltin. The smile on his face is quickly replaced by a sadness representative of what was just revealed. "So, this guy prevented the Splugorth from invading twice and all he gets is a memory wipe and a pat on the back? Man, this sucks." Barracuda leaves the room and walks around the residence some. We won, but this guy is left with all the scars. Well, Ash but... well no, I guess that counts too. Ugh, what a rough time. And then he bumps into Ashlynn.

Ashlynn wrote:"Hey! How'd ya sleep? I slept fine. Couch was a little small - does Horne have a cat? Anyhow, do ya think we'll have a chance to explore Dweomer? It'd be heavily uncool if we got to come to Dweomer and it was all business, then I'd be like 'Hey I went to Dweomer once!' and folks'd go 'really, what's it like?' and all's I could say would be 'I dunno I was busy tryin' not to die' and stuff. This is a big ol' magical town and now that the job is done maybe we can take a couple hours and see the things and do the things and maybe buy some small trinkets or a magical pet or a dragon even though I know Sir Ronith said no dragons because they might destroy the HQ."


Barracuda's mood lightens as she yammers on about dragons and shopping. Can't be mad when she's around. Hell, I didn't lose an arm. "Well, I've got some pretty solid money with me. Let's go see some stuff, buy some dragons!" Whenever is good, Ben will accompany Ashlynn into town to look around.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Thu May 30, 2019 4:08 am

Perception 50% 1d100:
46

JIC 1d100:
22
1d20:
17


Current conditions
OOC Comments
Sustain Require no food, water, or breath, need only 2 hours of sleep/night. Can survive almost all environmental conditions 4 days remaining



The stress of the last day seeps from Weiss as he collapses to the floor in front of the box. He looks at Ash, her laughter contagious as he laughs quietly behind his helmet.
Hopefully no more shooting today and nobody else getting hurt.

Weiss digs out his pocket computer in order to take notes as Beltin speaks as he goes through McGrath's mind.

Will compare with Grant later. Both likely to pick up little bits that the other misses

Much of this story we heard before, but frakking hell is it hell to hear directly from somebody's memories

This guy is broken. Removing memories might help, but at some point he is going to realise that he is missing months, if not years of memories.

After Beltin carries out the memory wipe,

Right now, he was too wired to rest properly; normally a merc should find rest where they can, but he wanted to check up on the APC. Even so, he collapses into a chair for a couple of hours. Unlike several of the others, he did not have supernatural endurance and did need some rest. Not being used to having a long term spell on him, he awakens quickly

As he is up early, he goes to check up on the APC. If Yojimbo is up, Weiss takes him to the APC alongside him; partly as backup, but also to evaluate him a bit. As he is there, he checks over the APC to make sure nobody has tampered with her and effect a few minor repairs with his portable toolkit. He knew that the Sunaj liked explosives so he makes sure there are none attached, but any major work, he needed more than just his tool kit to carry out.

OOC Comments
Mechanical Engineer 49% 1d100:
76
- repair work on the APC
Sensory Equipment 74% 1d100:
82
- using sensors to detect damage
Sensory Equipment 74% 1d100:
19
- using sensors to detect explosives
Detect Concealment 39% 1d100:
93
checking for explosives
Robot Electronics 49% 1d100:
67
- repair work on Blue Beauty
Robot Mechanics 44% 1d100:
37
- repair work on Blue Beauty
Demolitions Disposal 95% 1d100:
57


"So what happened? he asks Yojimbo, "how did you end up in the portal?" Weiss has his language translator on in case Yojimbo found it easier to speak in another language.


Ashlynn wrote:If she finds Weiss or Barracuda, she smiles at them. "Hey! How'd ya sleep? I slept fine. Couch was a little small - does Horne have a cat? Anyhow, do ya think we'll have a chance to explore Dweomer? It'd be heavily uncool if we got to come to Dweomer and it was all business, then I'd be like 'Hey I went to Dweomer once!' and folks'd go 'really, what's it like?' and all's I could say would be 'I dunno I was busy tryin' not to die' and stuff. This is a big ol' magical town and now that the job is done maybe we can take a couple hours and see the things and do the things and maybe buy some small trinkets or a magical pet or a dragon even though I know Sir Ronith said no dragons because they might destroy the HQ."


Ash and Ben find Weiss as he comes back from the APC, cleaning his hands on a rag. "Feel fit as a fiddle. Should not be this functional on that little amount of sleep." At this point it dawns on Weiss that he should feel worse; "One of Grant's spells must be still operational. best check with him about that."

As Ash mentions dragons, Weiss smiles and shakes his head in amusement.

" We got paid, so best to check with Ronith about your share. With the Beauty and Yojimbo, might not be a lot of room for a large creature in the APC hold. As for me, Alays mentioned another merc group," Weiss scratches his beard, "the coincidence of another group trying to enter the Broken Door at the same time as us is bugging me. I want to check it out. Doubt it will take all of us considering how banged up they got."
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 pm

JIC: 1d100:
9
, 1d20:
11

PER: 1d100:
33
vs. 66% (+15% hearing)
Conditions
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


Virtus wrote:"I can presume these new folk are trustworthy? You make many friends."
Ronith nods. "Such is the life of a famous mercenary. Most of those here distinguished themselves in battle against the Sunaj- those that did not I have other reasons to trust. I can vouch for everyone on my team."

Ronith will set back and let the rest of the team have its fun, looking almost paternal as he watches the fun with a vague sort of half-smile on his face. I believe that this is what the humans call 'hazing the new guy.' He won't let things progress to the point of actually opening the case they retrieved (or worse yet, damaging it), but otherwise he'll try not to spoil anyone's fun (for once). When Yojimbo tries to open the box, Ronith will dart forward to try and stop them- but is beaten to the punch by Ash and Weiss.

"That is enough. I do not begrudge anyone a little fun when appropriate, but not to the point of tampering with potentially hazardous material. Treat this case with utmost caution until we can learn more about what is inside it. Save the horseplay for when we are back in MercTown."

Stern but not obviously angry, Ronith sweeps the entire team with a glare, and hands the case over to Grant for inspection. Once Mrs. McGrath gives her permission, Ronith will sit with Beltin and he probes McGrath's mind, paying close attention to everything the Mind Melter reports. So. At last, some of the pieces begin to fit together.

Once Beltin's efforts are done, Ronith pats him on the shoulder. "Well done- take a breather." He will nonchalantly collect payment from both Elizabeth and Horne (as well as McGrath's journal), nodding his thanks to both. "It is our pleasure to be of service, Mrs. McGrath. I am glad that we could return your husband to you, and I hope that he can find some semblance of peace now that Beltin has finished his work." Growing serious, he looks Elizabeth in the eyes. "Mrs. McGrath. I hope you understand that neither I nor anyone else on my team would never do anything to jeopardize your husband's recovery. He has been through ordeals that would break lesser men- twice! We shall do our best to abide by your request. But I have reason to believe that the same forces that have hunted and terrorized your husband and his family for three generations are even now working to bring about the return of this Thulabrax. Millions of lives, on this world alone, could hinge upon us preventing it. We have other leads to pursue, and more to learn about this Whither gate, and I swear to you that we shall exhaust every source of information we have before we trouble either you or your husband again. But I cannot promise that we will never do so- not if we later learn that he has information that could save that many lives. I hope you understand."

Finally, there is Horne's offer to dinner. Ronith pauses for a moment and thinks- he is eager to return to MercTown and figure out the team's next steps, but it's been a long day and the team could probably use some R&R. He nods again, and replies to Horne's offer with a smile. "We accept- if the food is as luxurious as your manor, we are in for a treat. I do not wish to impose, but if there is lodging for hire for all of us nearby I would appreciate your recommendation. Some of the team wish to see the city, and all of us could use a good night's sleep. After that, we likely shall have to be getting back to MercTown." Should Horne offer them all accommodation in his manor, Ronith will gratefully accept, otherwise he will pay for the team's lodgings out of his own pocket.

Later, when Ronith has occasion to chat with people privately...
Jack McDermott wrote:"So... is that it? You guys got other plans? We gonna hunt down Candie Man?" He pauses for a second then says, "I guess what I am asking is, do you have a more long term spot on the team for me? I get it if you don't. Not everybody wants a pretty boy like me hanging around stealing all the ladies and all. Was just wondering that's all."
Ronith nods. "Our task is far from over. We need to learn more of this Whither Gate- I fear the same forces that the McGraths defeated are renewing themselves for another attempt. Someone shall have to stop them. I also have business with the cyber-knights." Ronith eyes the man speculatively and continues. "You did well today, and in a place that was bizarre even by Earth's current standards. There is a place for you on this team for as long as you wish it- with the same conditions I set out for Yojimbo. Follow the broad strokes of the cyber-knight code- work to protect the innocent in all things, and strive against evil. If you have no objections to making such an attempt, you are most welcome to join us."

Grant Latham wrote:"I will need to replenish my energy at a nexus to be able to transport us home in any event. If there is time, I too would like to visit the city."
Ronith nods. "We have time for dinner, and a little exploration of the city. I shall stay here with the cases. Do not go crazy with the shopping, I do not intend to pay the team until we return to MercTown. Have fun."

Weiss wrote:" We got paid, so best to check with Ronith about your share. With the Beauty and Yojimbo, might not be a lot of room for a large creature in the APC hold. As for me, Alays mentioned another merc group," Weiss scratches his beard, "the coincidence of another group trying to enter the Broken Door at the same time as us is bugging me. I want to check it out. Doubt it will take all of us considering how banged up they got."
"Tell me, Ashlynn, do you have any contacts who might be amenable to giving us a good price on these gems?" Ronith holds up the case. "The better the price you can find us, the higher everyone's share will be." That should keep her focused until we get back.

To Weiss, Ronith adds "Do not go out into the city without backup- take Alays and Jack with you at a minimum, if they have no sightseeing they wish to do. I shall remain here with the APC and the cases- radio me if you require assistance." Having been to Dweomer a couple of times already, Ronith feels no need to go out and explore. And, truth be told, he is looking forward to a quiet evening of relaxation- plus somebody has to guard the cases (not to mention the group's payout). With that in mind, he will stay put while the others go out.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 50/66; PPE- 57/57; MDC- 86/86; EBA destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Fri May 31, 2019 7:15 am

**rolls held**

Weiss wrote: If Yojimbo is up, Weiss takes him to the APC alongside him; partly as backup, but also to evaluate him a bit.

"So what happened? he asks Yojimbo, "how did you end up in the portal?" Weiss has his language translator on in case Yojimbo found it easier to speak in another language.


Yojimbo, not requiring sleep or rest like the others, has been awake and carving his gift to Elizabeth and Connor McGrath. He agrees to accompany Weiss to the APC as Weiss requested.

When Weiss asks the question, Yojimbo does not have much to tell him in reply: "I... remember sitting in the cafe back in Merctown, and seeing the face of a little human girl. She's saying something to me, but I cannot seem to hear her. Then, I remember a creature with two heads; one of a lion and the other of a snake and in its outstretched hand is spear of fire. I next see a broken door and the sounded of muffled voices next to you. Then, myself and other shadowy forms running through tunnels with junk looking for that same door. A black fog was at our legs. The door was there, in front of my team, but it wouldn't open. The shadowy forms beat against the door. Even my great strength was unable to move it. Then, my body grew sluggish and unable to move. I fell, and the vague outlines of great worms overtook my companions. Then all was black, until... suddenly out of great darkness, I felt a light, a warmth. My vision, hazy, began returning. I remembered the door, and... it was open! I remember thinking that if I don't escape now, I likely never would! Urgency filled my limbs, propelling me with great speed, and I squeezed through it just behind the last member of what turned out to be this group."

After another moment of scouring his brain, Yojimbo states, "I am sorry, but that is all I can remember. I hope it is useful."

I am still not sure how it all happened. Perhaps, with time.

Ashlynn wrote:If she finds Weiss or Barracuda, she smiles at them. "Hey! How'd ya sleep? I slept fine. Couch was a little small - does Horne have a cat? Anyhow, do ya think we'll have a chance to explore Dweomer? It'd be heavily uncool if we got to come to Dweomer and it was all business, then I'd be like 'Hey I went to Dweomer once!' and folks'd go 'really, what's it like?' and all's I could say would be 'I dunno I was busy tryin' not to die' and stuff. This is a big ol' magical town and now that the job is done maybe we can take a couple hours and see the things and do the things and maybe buy some small trinkets or a magical pet or a dragon even though I know Sir Ronith said no dragons because they might destroy the HQ."


Yojimbo and Weiss return from the APC together. Upon hearing Ashlynn's chatterbox speech, Yojimbo marvels. So much energy and activity in this one. Ahh, the vigor of youth.

"I will accompany you if you like. I need something to hold this, a sling of some sort. And, if Dweomer is as I have heard, it should be a fascinating tour," he says to Ashlynn while patting his rail gun.

After Ronith's caution to the others, Yojimbo approaches him, and begins with a bow.

"Sir Ronith Turand, I am content to stay and guard the boxes and others if you have other matters to attend to. I do not require sleep, food, air, rest, or the other standard necessities that most other mortals require. As such, I can remain vigilant and on guard while you or the others sleep or restore themselves to health. I am at your command, so if you wish me to stay rather than accompany the others into the city, I shall be honored to serve in any manner in which I am needed to."
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Fri May 31, 2019 7:42 am

(Rolls carried over)

Ronith wrote:"Tell me, Ashlynn, do you have any contacts who might be amenable to giving us a good price on these gems?" Ronith holds up the case. "The better the price you can find us, the higher everyone's share will be."


Ashlynn twists her mouth in thought. She wracks her brain trying to remember if any appraisers or fences she knew relocated to Merctown or Dweomer.

Streetwise 58% 1d100:
18
(SUCCESS)

Or if she'd heard of any reputable fences, salvagers, or second-hand dealers in either location.

Streetwise 58% 1d100:
15
(SUCCESS)

"Mmmmmaybe?" If she knows of any, she'll relay what she's heard.

Grant wrote:"I will need to replenish my energy at a nexus to be able to transport us home in any event. If there is time, I too would like to visit the city."


Yojimbo wrote:"I will accompany you if you like. I need something to hold this, a sling of some sort. And, if Dweomer is as I have heard, it should be a fascinating tour."


Barracuda wrote:"Well, I've got some pretty solid money with me. Let's go see some stuff, buy some dragons!"


Ashlynn grins widely. NOW it's a party! Let's ROLL.

Ashlynn will go with the group, giddy as ever, as she explores the sights, sounds, and tastes of Dweomer.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:35 am

rolls carried

Yojimbo wrote:When Weiss asks the question, Yojimbo does not have much to tell him in reply: "I... remember sitting in the cafe back in Merctown, and seeing the face of a little human girl. She's saying something to me, but I cannot seem to hear her. Then, I remember a creature with two heads; one of a lion and the other of a snake and in its outstretched hand is spear of fire. I next see a broken door and the sounded of muffled voices next to you. Then, myself and other shadowy forms running through tunnels with junk looking for that same door. A black fog was at our legs. The door was there, in front of my team, but it wouldn't open. The shadowy forms beat against the door. Even my great strength was unable to move it. Then, my body grew sluggish and unable to move. I fell, and the vague outlines of great worms overtook my companions. Then all was black, until... suddenly out of great darkness, I felt a light, a warmth. My vision, hazy, began returning. I remembered the door, and... it was open! I remember thinking that if I don't escape now, I likely never would! Urgency filled my limbs, propelling me with great speed, and I squeezed through it just behind the last member of what turned out to be this group."

After another moment of scouring his brain, Yojimbo states, "I am sorry, but that is all I can remember. I hope it is useful."


Weiss mulls over what Yojimbo says as he takes a section of panelling off the wall of the APC and inspects the circuits

"Some of that of definitely is well out of my paygrade," he grins at Yojimbo, "its the sort of thing Grant can investigate better than the rest of us can. Got to say though, there has been a couple of weird coincidences around this job so far. You turning up at the portal having been in Merctown feels like one of those. Kinda feels like somebody has taken an interest in us."

Cafe? Job Market cafe or another one? Weiss inquires, "If its the job market, then we have a better chance of tracking down any witnesses. When did this happen? If you went in and its been six years, trail will be somewhat cold. If it happened concurrently, we have a much better chance."


Ronith wrote:To Weiss, Ronith adds "Do not go out into the city without backup- take Alays and Jack with you at a minimum, if they have no sightseeing they wish to do. I shall remain here with the APC and the cases- radio me if you require assistance."


"I was thinking Yojimbo could also come along," he looks over at the giant man/robot/golem thing, "see how he handles himself."
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:06 am

**ROLLS CARRIED**

Weiss wrote:Cafe? Job Market cafe or another one? Weiss inquires, "If its the job market, then we have a better chance of tracking down any witnesses. When did this happen? If you went in and its been six years, trail will be somewhat cold. If it happened concurrently, we have a much better chance."


"It was the Job Mark-" begins Yojimbo before he abruptly stops.

"Six years?!? Is this not... P.A. 108...?!?" says the Holy Terror slowly.

Weiss wrote:"I was thinking Yojimbo could also come along," he looks over at the giant man/robot/golem thing, "see how he handles himself."


The metallic monstrosity nods at Weiss, still stunned that years passed while he was "asleep" - though Holy Terrors need no sleep!

Perhaps someone in this city will be able to make sense of what happened. Surely, in a city as full of magical knowledge as the fabled Dweomer, there must be someone?

He approaches the Lord Magus.

"Pardon me. You trained in this city, yes? Do you know anyone who could make sense of what transpired behind that 'broken door'?"

If asked, he explains to Grant that years passed while he was "asleep", and recounts the entire story he told to Weiss previously.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:33 am

(Rolls Carried)

Yojimbo wrote:He approaches the Lord Magus.

"Pardon me. You trained in this city, yes? Do you know anyone who could make sense of what transpired behind that 'broken door'?"

If asked, he explains to Grant that years passed while he was "asleep", and recounts the entire story he told to Weiss previously.


Grant having gone back to examine the 'fuel' while waiting for the team to be ready to visit the city, looks up from the case as he hears Yojimbo's approach. Standing up, he smooths out his pants. "Years inside that dimension, hmm." My training took place in an accelerated pocket dimension as well, he thinks. "The Three have definitely mastered dimensional magics and have access to dimensions that are temporally asynchronous to our reality. Inside the Broken Door, the effect of entropy appeared distorted. The lack of magical energy causing things to decay to a certain point and then achieve a new equilibrium at a much lower energy level until activated by the influx of new magical energy. When I teleported the team to the gate where we met you, the magic caused the trash and debris to disintegrate. It's entirely possible that when you 'arrived'," Grant air quotes with his hands, "The lack of magic put you into to some sort of stasis until enough energy was present for you to regain consciousness."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:34 am

Jack McDermott wrote:Perception: Original post: 1d100:
45

JIC: Original post: 1d20:
11
and Original post: 1d100:
74


Jack finds Grant , Yojimbo, Baracuda and Ashlyn talking about exploring the city, "You guys going to have a look see I town? Mind if I join? I wouldn't mind mapping some of what we find for the future." I wonder what kind of cool stuff they will have in a magic city, Jack thinks to himself.

"You think they will have a pet shop? I have always wanted a ferret. Maybe I can find one to fit my budget." I wonder if they have ferrets that fit a "broke" budget? "Even if they don't it would still be pretty interesting to see what they have. Might be a good idea to grab a bit to eat while we are there."

Jack looks over at Yojimbo, "Do armor creatures eat, Yojimbo?, he asks. then looks back over at Ashlynn, "Maybe they have dragons too. Big beautiful majestic dragons. But, you know, small right now. Until they grow up. And get big. And super majestic. They can do barrel rolls in the sky! Yeah, like a super cool rideable dragon! With teeth! And claws! Fire breathing and all! That would be mega awesome! Wouldn't it?" Then he quickly looks around to see if Ronith is around and smirks beneath his armor helmet.

"Any way, should we stay armored up for the trip in? or can we expect a more casual setting?"
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:59 am

**rolls held**

Grant wrote:Grant having gone back to examine the 'fuel' while waiting for the team to be ready to visit the city, looks up from the case as he hears Yojimbo's approach. Standing up, he smooths out his pants. "Years inside that dimension, hmm." My training took place in an accelerated pocket dimension as well, he thinks. "The Three have definitely mastered dimensional magics and have access to dimensions that are temporally asynchronous to our reality. Inside the Broken Door, the effect of entropy appeared distorted. The lack of magical energy causing things to decay to a certain point and then achieve a new equilibrium at a much lower energy level until activated by the influx of new magical energy. When I teleported the team to the gate where we met you, the magic caused the trash and debris to disintegrate. It's entirely possible that when you 'arrived'," Grant air quotes with his hands, "The lack of magic put you into to some sort of stasis until enough energy was present for you to regain consciousness."


Yojimbo nods as Grant describes what possibly happened. "Thank you, Lord Magus. Your explanation is both plausible, and... disturbing. One wonders if others who need assistance may also be trapped in such a place. Yet, how to rescue them..." says the big armored being thoughtfully.

"I stand ready to assist in any way you or the group may need, Grant. Thank you for your time. I, along with a few others, am about to explore the city. Do you have any suggestions for what to see, or warnings about what to avoid? I do not wish to offend," he says to Grant.

Jack McDermott wrote:Jack finds Grant , Yojimbo, Baracuda and Ashlyn talking about exploring the city, "You guys going to have a look see I town? Mind if I join? I wouldn't mind mapping some of what we find for the future."

"You think they will have a pet shop? I have always wanted a ferret. Maybe I can find one to fit my budget." I wonder if they have ferrets that fit a "broke" budget? "Even if they don't it would still be pretty interesting to see what they have. Might be a good idea to grab a bit to eat while we are there."

Jack looks over at Yojimbo, "Do armor creatures eat, Yojimbo?, he asks. then looks back over at Ashlynn, "Maybe they have dragons too. Big beautiful majestic dragons. But, you know, small right now. Until they grow up. And get big. And super majestic. They can do barrel rolls in the sky! Yeah, like a super cool rideable dragon! With teeth! And claws! Fire breathing and all! That would be mega awesome! Wouldn't it?" Then he quickly looks around to see if Ronith is around and smirks beneath his armor helmet.

"Any way, should we stay armored up for the trip in? or can we expect a more casual setting?"


This one talks almost as much as the teenager... thinks Yojimbo as Jack rattles off his rapid-fire questions and manic chatter.

"I cannot speak for others who wear armor, but Holy Terrors such as myself do not require sustenance in any form. We do not eat. We do not sleep. We do not tire. I am not even certain that we experience what some might call 'aging'. And, we are all but unheard of on this Earth. I am surprised your leader knew of us - very few beings who have not been to Wormwood have."

Could it be that Sir Ronith Turand has been to Wormwood? thinks Yojimbo as he glances at Ronith for a moment.

"However, I shall accompany you as I would like to experience this wondrous place for myself, and I do need a sling for my heavy gun. And, who knows what one may find in such an amazing place?" he says to Jack.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:08 am

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 10:00pm
Climate: 55F, Sunny with a strong breeze out of the north west
Visibility: 1 miles
Terrain: Affluent residential neighborhood
Active Radio Traffic
Heavy magic activity within 500ft


Loose Ends

Alari Whyne finds Sir Ronith amid happy conversation. "So, has our agreement been fulfilled? Am I free to go? Our partnership may have been tense but my talents are always for hire."

Horne's friend Henry Brittain is talking with Elizabeth in the room in which Connor has been recovering. Horne informs the team that they will be taken to a secret location for the foreseeable future. The McGrath estate will be administered by Horne personally for the duration this matter is ongoing. "Whatever help you need to resolve this matter, I will do my best to help." Horne says. He is dressed for the tour of Dweomer in a steel grey suit but dressed down without tie and shirt untucked. On the lapel of his shirt many in the party spot the Celestial Star, Ronith, Grant, Beltin and Barracuda also possess. He also shows the group to a large wardrobe he possesses. It contains formal and semi formal attire for anyone wishing to dress for a casual day. He shows Ashlynn to a rack full of ensembles from street smart to elegant. "Please attire as you wish. Certainly not required."

Yojimbo's gift of the lotus carving is received with thanks, but her smile and glance is distant, as if she was looking at you from across a great expanse. Her husband has been returned and his mania removed, but it has been at a heavy price.

Connor has woken for a few moments throughout the day. He still only talks in whispers and only seems to recognize Elizabeth absolutely. There does seem to be a vague recognition in his eyes when any of the party enter the room. He will introduce himself and his wife. She has explained who the Heroes 4 Hire are but considering his condition when found and the alterations to his mind it is likely the best he can do. He thanks them for rescuing him though he trails off to nothing when pursuing that line of thought as there is nothing there to recall any longer. Just vague memories of looking for something there. Something probably not very important anyhow.

Alays made it back out out broken door. Still the matter of recompense from Posey still remains. Well at least the other person who actually hired them. Alays can likely find them back at the shop he first met Posey at. While pondering that, he remembers the one blue skinned woman mentioning something about a robot. He just took a ride with a worked over CS robot. Surely the world can't be that small, can it?

Dweomer
To begin their trip, Horne elects to take a couple of his cars to the downtown area to accommodate everyone. It seems reckless considering, but he feels confident in the current threat being driven off for at least a little while.

The city is simply odd. It was founded, built and administered by creatures alien to this world and the city reflects it. Human compatible foods are good to look for in this city and some of the offerings are not safe for humans to eat at all. In fact safety in general is somewhat subjective here. Supernatural protection seems to be assumed considering the wide variety of wares and services that might accidentally kill someone complacent that had no real power. Horne is an attentive guide and steers away from dangerous areas, noting them as such to the group.

Naturally magic items abound here. ((Any common and most uncommon magic items can be found given enough time)). Many pre-rifts artifacts can be found here though not as popular here as they are in Merctown. And yes, you can buy familiars here.

Grant
Grant returns to the pyramid to regenerate his mana. After doing so he is approached by several people, one of which is a very short, round, nearly dwarf sized man. He seems to squint in the sun but has a pleasant expression. "Grant Latham? Lord Magi? I am Kellogg Frost, a Magi also in service to the Three. Dweomer summons you to service. A host of demons has been reported north of here. We are dispatching many of our people to fortify the area starting tomorrow. We will be holding a briefing in the morning here. Can we expect you there?"

For whoever attends dinner

Dinner Amid the shopping, Horne guides the group to Atherby's. The building is ornate but distinctly human in origin, now serving as a restaurant. Mr. Horne has a private room reserved that everyone is shown into. The hardwood floors elegant seating indicates it as a formal dining area but the staff are attentive and smile, making all feel welcome no matter how they are dressed. The food begins arriving and does not stop. Food, drink, dessert and even song are had as a strong trio comes in to entertain as they eat.

During the festivities, Horne leans over to Ashlynn saying, "As to your question at our first meeting. Yes, I am." he says with a smile.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:00 am

Perception: 1d100:
29

JIC: 1d20:
6
and 1d100:
75


When Horne offers the selection of clothing Jack looks for a dark cloak, something he can drape over his armor and keep it out of site. Not sure how the others feel, but I know my limitations. I'm not getting caught without protection. He timidly take his helmet off and leaves it on the boar. Once his face hits the air he is immediately aware anyone near him can see them. If we are going to dinner I don't want to ruin appetites. He quickly pulls on a face buff to cover just below his eyes.

If anyone is near, he says "Don't want to make the ladies swoon when I exit the car later" and winks. He gladly excepts the offer to ride in one of the cars. This should be interesting, he thinks to himself.

At dinner Jack is not shy at all, he digs into the food like a ravenous animal. he lifts his head from his plate briefly. "Food is a rare commodity any more, got to get it when you can." then raises his hand, "Waiter, oh waiter. More wine please, maybe bring two bottles in case someone else is thirsty too." He then continues to gorge himself on the wonderful food.

Once full he takes a breath and leans back in his chair, "Times like this I wish I had a button to undo in this armor. Thanks for the grub! That hit the spot. I'm sure I will sleep good tonight." Delighted at the chance to eat real food he sits back happy reflecting on his past life. Used to be meals, now its squirrel. Or rabbit. Or tree bark. A man could get used to this. Again. Guess I missed the good life. Almost started to forget it existed.

After a few minutes of sitting in pure elation he looks around the table, "Anybody know if they have a pet store in town. I'm looking for a ferret. Not to eat or anything! I wouldn't. Well, maybe. It would have to be really bad. Like crashed on a snowy mountain with all your soccer buddies bad. Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider it. I'm looking for a little buddy, you know?" After rambling he turns to an open table grabs a chair drags it back and proceeds to use it to put his feet up on and stretch out.

"Do they even have ferret recipes?" He lays back in wonder, would that even taste good?
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:34 am

Perception: 76% /81% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100:
40

JIC: 1d20:
10

1d100:
100



Before the Tour

Yojimbo wrote:"Six years?!? Is this not... P.A. 108...?!?"


Ashlynn feels the blood rush out her face as she senses, rather than sees, the Holy Terror's shock. He lost SIX YEARS? She shakes her head slowly. "Oh... Yojimbo... I'm so sorry. She steps forward and hugs his armored frame, not knowing whether he can even feel it.

Slowly, she lets him go as Grant explains the mystical properties of transdimensional travel to them. She pretends to understand, nodding her head earnestly at what seem to be profound moments and adopting a serious facial expression.

"Of course. That's... what I thought. Stasis." She nods emphatically.

Jack wrote:"You guys going to have a look see I town? Mind if I join? I wouldn't mind mapping some of what we find for the future. You think they will have a pet shop? I have always wanted a ferret. Maybe I can find one to fit my budget. Even if they don't it would still be pretty interesting to see what they have. Might be a good idea to grab a bit to eat while we are there."

J Do armor creatures eat, Yojimbo? Maybe they have dragons too. Big beautiful majestic dragons. But, you know, small right now. Until they grow up. And get big. And super majestic. They can do barrel rolls in the sky! Yeah, like a super cool rideable dragon! With teeth! And claws! Fire breathing and all! That would be mega awesome! Wouldn't it?"


As he rambles, Ashlynn begins nodding emphatically, eyes widening with anticipation, until, at his mention of dragons, her eyes practically boggle and it becomes apparent that she has been taken by a paroxysm of euphoria.

"that. would. be. so. cool."

In Ashlynn's mind's eye, she is already astride the mighty scaled beast, borne aloft by thunderous wings, the ground rolling away beneath them, the earth a distant memory. Clouds wheel by with effortless grace as the magnificent beast gyres through the sky, a pirouette on wing-tip. Day folds into night, the brilliant blue above replaced by the black velvet of night, broken only by the piercing radiance of each star, a scintilla of brilliance in a field of eternity. Her dragon bears her further aloft, and they alight upon a distant planet. In her dream, she dismounts. The dragon curls up to rest, and she curls up to rest in the curve of his body, between torso and legs. She is kept comfortable by the furnace of his boiling blood radiating out a cozy warmth through his scaly, but somehow supple hide. He lays his head at her feet, and she caresses his majestic crown of horns as shooting stars trace out a picture of purest joy in the night sky. The stars cascade in shimmering brilliance, reflecting off the dragon's scales, until certain stars blink and fade, whilst others gather luminence, and she sees words forming in the eternal night...

Jack wrote:"Any way, should we stay armored up for the trip in? or can we expect a more casual setting?"


"Wha... what?"

Before leaving, Ashlynn will change into "street clothes" - a nice pair of pants and a blousy shirt, with boots.




Dweomer

Ashlynn skips, running from one shop to the next, back to the group and out again, like a child at an amusement park. Each shop, stand, or stall is another delight to her senses, and she crams in as much experience as her nimble mind will allow. However, all of this ends when she sees...

A Terrible and Wonderful Sign wrote:Friendly Fred's Familiar Farm


She looks, bug-eyed, at Jack, and back to the building, and runs inside, reaching out and grabbing the clothing of whomever is unlucky enough to be within range, and dragging them along.

"OHMYGOODNESS! Look at all the - Ooh! look at the KITTY, what a sweet kit - Hey is that a - No that's not a toy, it's some kinda small robotty thing? And WHAT ARE THOSE?" She flits from one animal pen to another, heart full of eagerness and exccitement and love.

If she sees a Bookwyrm, though, all bets are off. OFF, I say.

Her eyes boggle. "ooooOOOOOHHH!" She approaches hesitantly, obviously wanting to scoop up the diminutive dragon and cuddle it TO DEATH. Her hands twisted together at her chest, she stares, moist-eyed, at the dragon. She kneels down by it, so they can be face to face. "Hello. My name is Ashlynn. Can we be friends? I... I think I love you. Do you wanna come home with me? I'll make a place for you in my room and we can do everything together but fight - I won't ever put you in danger I promise you'll be safe and happy and well-fed and warm forever and I'll never do anything to betray you and I'll never leave you or disappear and you'll be mine and I'll be yours forever. What... what's your name?"

If Friendly Fred is at hand, she asks, as calmly as she can (which is, on a scale where 1 is asleep and 10 is quivering with nuclear-powered anticipation, an 11). "so... this... Bookwyrm. Is quite... amaz... adequate How much wouulll..." She turns to the bookwyrm and whispers loudly "You're not adequate you're amazing and majestic as Frak." Turning back to fred, she findishes, "Www.... would you take for it?" She bites her lip, certain the answer will be beyond her means.

"You see... I've always loved dragons, but obviously dragons grow so big, and my family - well, not mom and dad - they died, - but the mercs who raised me, Pangur Ban the killcat and Ishmael the Monkey Boy and T'Avi the mystic and Hagbard the human - we always moved around so I couldn't have a pet. I tried to have a cat once but Hagbard got mad and said it was irresponsible to have a cat when we were living hand to mouth so I let him go but he kept coming back and he followed us to the next town somehow but even then Hagbard wouldn't let me keep him, and I thought maybe if I got a pet that was tough but Hagbard said no and said what do you want a pet for anyway but I want someone I can trust who loves me unconditionally and when you have a pet - or a familiar I guess is what I'm getting at - they know your heart and you know theirs and even when you're apart you're together and what is a family anyway if it's not that and I've always loved dragons and I just wanna watch him hunt and fly and splash around in the water and I wanna curl up with him at night until we both fall asleep and feel his breathing next to mine so I know he's still there and I can tell him anything and know he'll never stop loving me or go away or disappear..." Ashlynn blushes, embarrassed. "Ssssorry. I... get carried away."

Barter 74% 1d100:
86
(will my tale of childhood desires and travails move his heart? - FAIL - sob stories are a dime a dozen, kid.)

At this, she bows her head. "I... know I'm not a magic user, or a wizard or anything, so it's... well... a little weird for me to want a familiar, but I promise I'd take just the BEST care of him, and I'd never leave him except when there's danger so he can be safe, but I'll always come back because I'm real resilient and I think if I had him to come home to I'd be extra careful on jobs and fight extra hard to make sure I get to come home to him and I'll always feed him and clean him and file his claws and scritch his ears or whatever he likes and I promise if he's not happy I'll bring him right back - I won't want to, but I will - because I want him to be happy with me."

Begging 61% 1d100:
11
(Will his heart be moved by her earnestness? - SUCCESS - I mean, she seems pretty earnest)
Charm/Impress: 50% 1d100:
56
(Or perhaps her youthful exuberance? - FAIL - though maybe TOO exuberant)
Invoke Trust: 40% 1d100:
30
(Or will he know, in his heart of hearts, that she and this bookwyrm were made for each other? - SUCCESS - but perhaps they ARE right for each other?)



Dinner

Ashlynn joins Horne and the expansive group for dinner at Atherby's. Her eyes boggle anew at the sight of the restaurant. "Swanky. I think this is the nicest diner I've ever been at."

Horne wrote:"As to your question at our first meeting. Yes, I am."


"You am? uh... human? What was the question?" She chews her food thoguhtfully, and swallows. "Ah, right. Yeah. Me too. Though momma said I'm a dbee, said she found me in a field of rubble that wasn't there the day before as a baby - me, not the rubble. Baby rubble would be wierd, what would it grow into? A ruin? Anyhow, she found me and brought me home and told me I was a dbee but I never believed her until I was about 12 or so and I got some powers but it was too late then because she died."

Jack wrote:"Do they even have ferret recipes?"


Ashlynn punches Jack in the shoulder.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:50 am

He smiles AR Ashlynn ' assumption. "Anguloke." he says speaking dragonese, of course meaning dragon.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:12 am

Rolls carried over)

Mr. Horne wrote:"Anguloke."


"WHAT."

Ashlynn's eyes would pop out of her skull, were they not firmly attached. She struggles to maintain her composure.

"You're my first dragon. Not MY dragon but I meant he first I've ever met. I'm honored." Her face flushes. "I have SO many questions but I can't think of them my mind is going so fast right now. I mean what's it like living among humans all the time? Are we bothersome or is it cute, like when I go to a farm and I wanna pet all the animals? Do you ever fly? Can you fly as high as you want or is there a limit? I've fly-en with a spell - Flown I mean - is it the same I don't think it's the same because you'd have the wind under your wings and they hold you up yeah? Are you even the kind with wings? I heard there were all kinds a different dragons. Is it rude to even ask? I don't wanna be rude, Mr. Horne. I just never met a dragon before and to meet one who's a friend - I hope we're friends Mr. Horne, I like you a lot but I don't wanna assume - to meet one who's a friend is like a kinda dream come true for me. Do you have anything like that - any kinda person or place you've wanted to see for so long and so bad that you could barely stand it? I have a lot of those but Oh I think Dragons are at the top of my list. Do you ever turn fully dragon or do you stay in human form all the time? I don't think I could avoid turning into a dragon on the daily - being a human all the time seems real limiting. I'm glad I'm not one. I'm just human-compatible. But if I could be a dragon I don't think I'd wanna be a human for long, even to make others comfortable. How old are you? I know that's a rude question and I'm sorry but I heard Dragons live forever or not really forever but so long its basically forever, like longer even than elves maybe, and I wanted to find out if you're, like, venerable - that's a word Hagbard taught me that's a more polite word for old - 'cause I shouldn't say people are old even though I don't think anything's wrong with being old, it means you're a badass who's survived everything thrown at you, yeah? Have you had a lot of adventures? I've had a couple but I'm sure nothing that compares to what you must've seen. Oh... if only I could think of some questions to ask, I'm sure I could be here all DAY!"
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:17 am

Jack McDermott wrote:Perception: Original post: 1d100:
29

JIC: Original post: 1d20:
6
and Original post: 1d100:
75


Friendly Fred's

Jack sees Ashlynn run into a store with crazed exuberance, Holy hell, that was wild even for her. What is in there? Jack follows her into the store. Inside he sees animal after animal and Ashlynn weaving and bobbing between people. Almost climbing over them at times. He sees her stop and start talking to something. Walking over he sees a tiny dragon. "Holy heck, what is that? Is that a new born? That thing is tiny. Will it grow?"

He listens to Ashlyn profess her love to the diminutive beast and smiles. This is not going to go well if she doesn't get to take this creature home. He stands back, feeling his heart slightly warm at the obvious show of caring and love. There isn't a bad bone in this girl's body is there?

Jack is excited to see Fred (if they do) and when Ashlynn is done pleading her case Jack asks, "I know dragons are cool and all, but do you have ferrets too? I was just wondering and all, asking for a friend really." He looks around to see if anyone is listening then turns back to Fred and whispers, "I get kind of lonely from time to time, a little furry buddy to keep me company would be amazing. It's a tough life out there. Would love to tell you about it some time. But. Really. No need to tell anyone, right?! I would probably deny saying I was looking for a furry friend." He looks back around making sure nobody else heard then says in a normal voice, "So no big deal if you don't but if you do I might be interested."

Jack looks back at Ashlynn googly eyed staring at the baby dragon. "Maybe the midget dragon and ferret can go as a package deal? She really is a sweetheart, and she will probably give her life to keep that tiny thing safe. The girl has a heart of gold." he covers his mouth from Ashlyn's view. "Not a bad backside either," he says to the shop keeper with a wink.


Shopping skills
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15% / 25% - 1d100:
32
- Trust obviously, not going to try to intimidate the man.
Lore: Magic --General Knowledge: 40%- 1d100:
80
- Shopping skill
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Perception: 1d100:
91
/37%
JIC(20): 1d20:
12

JIC(100): 1d100:
2
(critical success!)





Ashlynn wrote:
Before the Tour

Yojimbo wrote:"Six years?!? Is this not... P.A. 108...?!?"


Ashlynn feels the blood rush out her face as she senses, rather than sees, the Holy Terror's shock. He lost SIX YEARS? She shakes her head slowly. "Oh... Yojimbo... I'm so sorry. She steps forward and hugs his armored frame, not knowing whether he can even feel it.

Slowly, she lets him go as Grant explains the mystical properties of transdimensional travel to them. She pretends to understand, nodding her head earnestly at what seem to be profound moments and adopting a serious facial expression.

"Of course. That's... what I thought. Stasis." She nods emphatically.


Yojimbo can, indeed, feel Ashlynn's hug - not that anyone could tell due to his stoic armored form.

Just as I suspected... she has a compassion that rivals Hanae's. I shall not fail this one! he resolves privately, touched by her tenderness and empathy.

Thank you, Ashlynn he sends telepathically to her after Grant's explanation.




Ashlynn wrote:Dweomer

Ashlynn skips, running from one shop to the next, back to the group and out again, like a child at an amusement park. Each shop, stand, or stall is another delight to her senses, and she crams in as much experience as her nimble mind will allow. However, all of this ends when she sees...

A Terrible and Wonderful Sign wrote:Friendly Fred's Familiar Farm


She looks, bug-eyed, at Jack, and back to the building, and runs inside, reaching out and grabbing the clothing of whomever is unlucky enough to be within range, and dragging them along.

"OHMYGOODNESS! Look at all the - Ooh! look at the KITTY, what a sweet kit - Hey is that a - No that's not a toy, it's some kinda small robotty thing? And WHAT ARE THOSE?" She flits from one animal pen to another, heart full of eagerness and exccitement and love.

If she sees a Bookwyrm, though, all bets are off. OFF, I say.

Her eyes boggle. "ooooOOOOOHHH!" She approaches hesitantly, obviously wanting to scoop up the diminutive dragon and cuddle it TO DEATH. Her hands twisted together at her chest, she stares, moist-eyed, at the dragon. She kneels down by it, so they can be face to face. "Hello. My name is Ashlynn. Can we be friends? I... I think I love you. Do you wanna come home with me? I'll make a place for you in my room and we can do everything together but fight - I won't ever put you in danger I promise you'll be safe and happy and well-fed and warm forever and I'll never do anything to betray you and I'll never leave you or disappear and you'll be mine and I'll be yours forever. What... what's your name?"

If Friendly Fred is at hand, she asks, as calmly as she can (which is, on a scale where 1 is asleep and 10 is quivering with nuclear-powered anticipation, an 11). "so... this... Bookwyrm. Is quite... amaz... adequate How much wouulll..." She turns to the bookwyrm and whispers loudly "You're not adequate you're amazing and majestic as Frak." Turning back to fred, she findishes, "Www.... would you take for it?" She bites her lip, certain the answer will be beyond her means.

"You see... I've always loved dragons, but obviously dragons grow so big, and my family - well, not mom and dad - they died, - but the mercs who raised me, Pangur Ban the killcat and Ishmael the Monkey Boy and T'Avi the mystic and Hagbard the human - we always moved around so I couldn't have a pet. I tried to have a cat once but Hagbard got mad and said it was irresponsible to have a cat when we were living hand to mouth so I let him go but he kept coming back and he followed us to the next town somehow but even then Hagbard wouldn't let me keep him, and I thought maybe if I got a pet that was tough but Hagbard said no and said what do you want a pet for anyway but I want someone I can trust who loves me unconditionally and when you have a pet - or a familiar I guess is what I'm getting at - they know your heart and you know theirs and even when you're apart you're together and what is a family anyway if it's not that and I've always loved dragons and I just wanna watch him hunt and fly and splash around in the water and I wanna curl up with him at night until we both fall asleep and feel his breathing next to mine so I know he's still there and I can tell him anything and know he'll never stop loving me or go away or disappear..." Ashlynn blushes, embarrassed. "Ssssorry. I... get carried away."

Barter 74% Original post: 1d100:
86
(will my tale of childhood desires and travails move his heart? - FAIL - sob stories are a dime a dozen, kid.)

At this, she bows her head. "I... know I'm not a magic user, or a wizard or anything, so it's... well... a little weird for me to want a familiar, but I promise I'd take just the BEST care of him, and I'd never leave him except when there's danger so he can be safe, but I'll always come back because I'm real resilient and I think if I had him to come home to I'd be extra careful on jobs and fight extra hard to make sure I get to come home to him and I'll always feed him and clean him and file his claws and scritch his ears or whatever he likes and I promise if he's not happy I'll bring him right back - I won't want to, but I will - because I want him to be happy with me."

Begging 61% Original post: 1d100:
11
(Will his heart be moved by her earnestness? - SUCCESS - I mean, she seems pretty earnest)
Charm/Impress: 50% Original post: 1d100:
56
(Or perhaps her youthful exuberance? - FAIL - though maybe TOO exuberant)
Invoke Trust: 40% Original post: 1d100:
30
(Or will he know, in his heart of hearts, that she and this bookwyrm were made for each other? - SUCCESS - but perhaps they ARE right for each other?)


Yojimbo can see how much Ashlynn wants the Bookwyrm. It is her heart's desire, and, as her new friend, Yojimbo wants to see her happy.

Contingency!
IF Ashlynn is unable to secure a deal with Fred, Yojimbo will step in and bargain for the Bookwyrm on her behalf. He will offer his services, or his sword and/or hammer if need be - whatever it takes - for Fred to bite and for Ashlynn to acquire the Bookwyrm.

Inspire Trust: 1d100:
6
/55% (if Fred is interested in a contract for Yojimbo's services)





At the restaurant, unless his presence is specifically requested, Yojimbo waits outside. The big guy knows his size and weight present peculiar challenges to restaurant service and, even in places that can accommodate his armored form, he is uncertain what to do, so he often sits there awkwardly while others eat. Besides, sometimes alcohol is involved, and bad things tend to happen around Yojimbo when people drink.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:18 pm

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100:
56

JIC: 1d20:
4
, 1d100 = 39

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 14
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 54/78
  • P.P.E.: 357/610
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


Yojimbo wrote:Yojimbo nods as Grant describes what possibly happened. "Thank you, Lord Magus. Your explanation is both plausible, and... disturbing. One wonders if others who need assistance may also be trapped in such a place. Yet, how to rescue them..." says the big armored being thoughtfully.

"I stand ready to assist in any way you or the group may need, Grant. Thank you for your time. I, along with a few others, am about to explore the city. Do you have any suggestions for what to see, or warnings about what to avoid? I do not wish to offend," he says to Grant.


"I suppose once the mages of the city recognize that you are more than an automaton, you might become a celebrity. My recommendation is to stay with the others and do not accept any offers to visit anyone's home or laboratory," Grant says with a bit of a smile. "Perhaps remind Ashlynn when the time comes that owning a pet comes with responsibilities and a magical pet will at best be unpredictable."

A little while later...


Grant takes off his body armor and pulls out his other set of clothes from his dimensional pocket. While not the fanciest clothes, He refreshes them with another cleanse spell so that they look as new as when he first bought them. When asked about Dwoemer and what can be found there, he says, "It is a city of magic that makes the wonders of Lazlo look plain and common place. Trust your gut, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is."

When it's time to leave, he says, "Mr. Horne, if you wouldn't mind dropping me off at the pyramid nexus, I would appreciate it, I will join you all at the restaurant later, if I don't run into you in the shopping district."

At the nexus, he finds a seat and meditates for a while letting the energy of the nexus flow into him. Fate seems to be directing us, but I have yet to unravel much more about The Whither Gate. We now have a power source and a map to decode. But like the land of the Broken Door, my magic will be of limited use once we find it. His thoughts wander back and forth for a few minutes more before he gives up on it. He prepares to leave when he is approached by a number of people he doesn't recognize, with his magic and energy restored, he considers possible options if they turn out to not to be friendly.


Kellogg Frost wrote:After doing so he is approached by several people, one of which is a very short, round, nearly dwarf sized man. He seems to squint in the sun but has a pleasant expression. "Grant Latham? Lord Magi? I am Kellogg Frost, a Magi also in service to the Three. Dweomer summons you to service. A host of demons has been reported north of here. We are dispatching many of our people to fortify the area starting tomorrow. We will be holding a briefing in the morning here. Can we expect you there?"


Grant considers the d-bee and then gives the traditional salute of the Dweomer Defense Force and says, "By the will of Three, I shall be there." He looks at the others to see their reaction and then adds, "I must see my team off back to Merc-Town in the morning as well, but I should be able to Rift Teleport them without to much trouble. Until tomorrow then." He turns to leave and takes a few steps, but turns back, "I have not explored the city as much as I would have liked, perhaps you can recommend a Techno-wizard that I can commission a device from?"

If he receives a suggestion, he heads there first, otherwise, he wanders the town until he either finds a TW who can do the work he wants or not, then heads to dinner.

Grant's Search:

Appraise Goods 83% vs 1d100:
67

Invoke Trust 60% vs 1d100:
27

Find Contraband 83% vs 1d100:
97

Lore: Magic 104% vs 1d100:
51

Research 79% vs 1d100:
78

Streetwise 92% vs 1d100:
73


OOC Comments
There's a whole host of spells that he wants to find, but it doesn't look like there's time at this point to search for them. Plus he only has the credits that were obtained from the salvage of the Kittani Equestrian Power Armor at this point. No mission pay yet.


When he finds a techno-wizard shop, he enters. He peruses the wares with a critical eye, his training in evaluating magical goods coming back to him while he waits to be assisted. When a clerk or shopkeeper comes to him, he says, "Greetings, I am looking for perhaps an unusual techno-wizard device. As a boy, I heard stories of a magical boots from a story, Seven-League Boots. Where each step would allow the wear to travel seven leagues. It sparked my imagination and for a time transportation magic was the focus of my study. It was only years later in my training as a Lord Magi that I came across a spell that might be a possible origin for the story. The spell is called Astral Hole (11th level | BOM p138 | 120 P.P.E. | 1 melee round/level). It's standard to learn in the curriculum of the High Magi, but not the Lord Magi. If the spell could be incorporated into a pair of durable (M.D.C.) boots and possibly made 4 to 5 times more efficient to cast that would be wonderful. Have you heard of anyone who has made such a device already, or would be willing to take on a commission? Depending on the cost, perhaps a trade of services could be agreed upon."

At dinner.

Appraise Goods 83% vs 10d100:
76, 10, 21, 10, 41, 50, 31, 18, 13, 20


Grant joins the rest of the Heroes 4 Hire at the restaurant. "What did everyone find?" he asks. If the items are shown, he asks, "May I see?" He holds out a hand and takes the item and examines it. He then asks, "What did you pay?" He then gives his opinion on whether it was a good deal or not, but still commends them on their find. At the end of the meal, he says, "Tomorrow morning, I must report for service to assist Dwoemer. There is a potential threat of demons that must be investigated. Before that we can go to the nexus we arrived at and I will open a rift back to the Merc-Town for you. Once my commission is complete, I will return to Heroes Haven."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:28 am

Grant Latham wrote:"I suppose once the mages of the city recognize that you are more than an automaton, you might become a celebrity. My recommendation is to stay with the others and do not accept any offers to visit anyone's home or laboratory," Grant says with a bit of a smile. "Perhaps remind Ashlynn when the time comes that owning a pet comes with responsibilities and a magical pet will at best be unpredictable."


Though young, this one possesses wisdom beyond his years thinks Yojimbo.

"Arigatōgozaimashita*, Grant. Your words are wise and will be heeded. Osaki ni shitsurei shimasu**," says the Holy Terror as he bows.

Japanese translations
* = thank you very much
** = excuse me for leaving first (a polite way of excusing oneself)
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Horne and Ashlynn

He smiles and indulges her questions. "Humans? They are amazing and unique. There is nothing else like them. At once they are all alike but each one also capable of infinite possibilities. There isn't another race like them that I've ever met. I look at humans like what I suspect humans might look at thunderstorms. Violent, destruction and dangerous but also magnificent, powerful and life giving, even comforting." He continues giving answers. Apparently he is a great horned dragon, whatever that is. He's over a thousand years old but hails from a different world all together. He came to Dweomer to live peacefully for a while, like an extended vacation of sorts. Previous to that he has spanned galaxies and numerous dimensions. Loved, lost and loved again. Fought many battles, made allies out of sworn enemies and vanquished those he had once called friends.

Friendly Fred's Familiar Farm

The place is sprawling and housed in what was likely a different business before. It smells like a barn inside but it has many creatures as well as accessories for many of them.

Jack's inquiry as to a ferret is met with a nod. "Surely sir we do. They make easy pets. If you want them to be bound though, it is a thousand credits. There are a couple different color morphs of ferrets that he has on hand. A white ferret, not to be confused with albino and a melanistic or black ferret as well as the standard coloration.

Ashlynn has eyes for the mini dragonlike creatures. There is an incubator that has seven eggs that are annotated as bookwyrm eggs. Browsing about the shop, there are three of the mini dragons that catch her eye as she rambles at a store clerk. The clerk smiles and nods perhaps unable to understand everything being said. She only says "Mhmm, yes." or nods occasionally.

At first Ashlynn sees a bright green wyrm perhaps on the smaller side but has a longer tail than most and seems to be inquisitive. Its long nose and thin limbs give it an agile appearance.

A second wyrm is nearby. It is rather ornate, featuring many plates and large scales. It is gloss black with blue speckles and underbelly and of average size though it's has well built frame.

The last might have been mistaken for a statue. It is holed up on high shelf looking down imperiously on Ashlynn, well it does once it opens it eyes. It could pass for a winged giant frog. It is tan with a black head and black stripes down its body. There is no other way to say it than it's fat. Huge and fat. It's head is wide with a brutish jaw with an under bite that gives it a surly appearance. If it has a neck, it's not immediately obvious. It puffs a smoke ring at Ashlynn and then closes its eyes again.

The first two are around 20 thousand. On the last one the clerk seems hesitant at first before answering, "I dunno. How about five thousand?"

Jack asks about making a package deal, to which the clerk says they can throw in hissing cockroaches if he is interested.

Outside the Restaurant

Yojimbo outside the restaurant is noticed by several pedestrians walking by. However their curiosity is fleeting as such things aren't entirely uncommon in Dweomer though they don't expect him to be autonomous. After a few moments bird begin to use him as a temporary perch unless he moves. Their pleasant songs and humourous antics give a peaceful background to the city bustle. The girls face comes back to him. He can see her lips move in his memory but he can't remember her words.

At the Techno Wizard

Grant finds a few shops. Horne had recommended a particular shop ran by two brothers who have produced several piece for him. Grant lays out what he's looking for. One of the brothers sits down to take notes while the other ponders the device. "Well, we can certainly see. Since you may have contacts, I would likely need you to convince one of them to assist. Let my brother and I put some pen to paper and get back to you. Leave your contact info and we will get back to you in a couple days." ((Grant will be in and around Dweomer for a while so stopping in occasionally won't be a problem.))
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:31 am

(Rolls carried over)

OOC Comments
This post jumps around a bit in time. I apologize. I'd forgotten to do something last GM post and I want to make sure it happens if I can


Before exploring Dweomer

Ashlynn paces in Horne's foyer nervously. She's desperate to get out and explore the city... but she has business first.

I made a promise... and I don't know how I'm gonna keep it, but... I gotta at least try.

When Alari Whyne comes through, on her way to parts unknown, Ashlynn waves at her, and pulls her aside.

Quietly, she asks, "So... Can... can you find lost people? I lost someone. Well... My friend lost someone. Her name is Jazia Weiss - I think she's from Merctown. I can give you 25,000 credits now and another 75,000 when you bring her safely to Heroes for Hire. Her husband is John Weiss... he's with us, and her son is Zac. I promised I'd help find her but I don't know how... I mean... " I don't want to leave my new family to search. "Anyhow, she's real important to him. Them. ...us. So I wanna hire you."

If Alari accepts the job, Ashlynn transfers 25,000 credits to her. I promised you, Zac, I'd help find your mom. When we get back to Merctown, I'll... I'll figure something else out too. And if we find her and she can't come to us... we'll go to her. I promise. She thinks of the pair of them, John Weiss and his son, reunited with this stranger, his wife, Zac's mom. She feels happy, and jealous, and briefly thinks They won't need me then but stomps on that thought and kicks it out of the window of her mind. A small voice inside her says I'll make them need me. Another says, They're family. They'll need you whether they know it or not.




Friendly Fred's

Ashlynn's eyes are drawn immediately to the bright green wyrm, and she is instantly in love. Her heart drops a bit at the price of 20,000 - plus the cost of binding - but she remembers she has the credits for it and is instantly bouyed. When the clerk's eyes flit to the black and tan dragon on the shelf, Ashlynn follows the gaze to it.

The clerk wrote:"I dunno. How about five thousand?"
Doubt crosses her face in a flash.Only... five? Can't they... ? Oh. Oh no.

Instantly, her heart breaks. Nobody wants you.

To the clerk, she says, "Can... Can I take a moment please?"

She turns back to the dragon she'd gushed over, the agile fellow in the bright green livery. She kneels once more by his kennel.

She bows her head. "I... I meant every word I said to you. You're... magnificent. And I love you. But... I'm sorry. I can't take you home. You won't have a problem finding someone." She looks again at the dragon on the shelf, before turning back to the bright green wyrm. "You... you don't need me. He needs me. Please... don't hate me." She stands, wipes away the tears forming in her eyes, and turns slowly, approaching the shelf.

She smiles at the toadlike creature that calls itself a dragon. "You need a home, don't you?" She nods. "I know what that's like. I don't wanna ever be alone again. W...will you stay with me?" She reaches up slowly to scritch under its heavy jaw.

She reaches up both hands to the dragon, to bring it down off the shelf. And, holding it like a rather large cat, she turns to the clerk.

"This one." She nods emphatically. "I want this one. And... I'd like to be bound to him, please." So I keep my promise... We'll always be together.

She will pay for the Bookwyrm, the binding, some books on familiar training and on the care and keeping of Bookwyrms, and if there's any special treats, toys, or training tools or whatnot.

OOC Comments
Have EP'ed certain lore skills to aid her in training him.




Dinner

Ashlynn listens to Horne's answers and stories with rapt attention. So enmeshed is she that she nearly forgets to eat, and instead only absently munches on whatever food is in front of her as they converse.

As dinner marches to a close, she feels deeply honored and touched to have spent such a long time in the company of a real dragon, and the stars in her eyes do not fade as she asks, "Mr. Horne... I... I only have one more question. Can... Oh, it's stupid, I'm sorry, but... can we be friends?"

You're amazing, and I could learn so much from you.

OOC Comments
Will probably EP purchase Mr. Horne as a contact at some point.


If Fred's happened before dinner, and Ashlynn successfully acquired the Heavy Boi(tm):

Grant wrote:"What did everyone find? May I see? What did you pay?"


Ashlynn reaches down to her feet, and with an obvious effort, pulls the large bookwyrm up to her lap.

"This is my large adult son. I'm naming him Huey. He has a name already of course, but it's in dragonese. He's just so PUDGY and ADORABLE. He's a bookwyrm. And he was a bargain! ALL of this magnificent bookwyrm at a fraction of the price of the others." She turns him around to face her, with some effort due to his girth. "We're gonna have so much fun together, yes we are! This is what peak performance looks like, isn't it? Yes it is!"
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:56 am

Perception: 1d100:
52
/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20:
3
/1d100:
64


Barracuda is happy to simply strip out of his armor and walk around in his blue jeans and black t-shirt. His plain look humorously accented by his large gilded trident goes unnoticed by him as he prepares to join the others for a trip around Dweomer. On the drive around town, Ben excitedly points out the alien architecture. "Man, I thought MercTown was funny looking. Look at this place! It's like someone told E.T. how to build a city or something. It's like, right, but just barely. But also, like, totally bitchin'."

At Fred's, Ben just sits back and watches as Ashlynn freaks out about the potential new pet. He turns to Yojimbo and says "This is her on a calm day." He looks idly around the shop to see what animals they have present.

Ben takes some time to scope out some shops for anything befitting an adventurer of his aquatic nature.

At dinner, Ben has a seat near Weiss and chats a bit between bites. "You ever see anything like this city before? If it wasn't some crazy secret, I would almost live here over MercTown."
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:46 pm

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100:
61

JIC: 1d20:
9
, 1d100 = 34

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 14
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 54/78
  • P.P.E.: 357/610
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 35/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


At the technowizard shoppe...

Grant shakes hands with the man and says, "Thank you, I look forward to seeing what you are able to design. I shall be in and out of the city over the next few week. If you have something ready please send a message to Mr. Horne's residence." He provides the address and departs.

At the dinner...

Ashlynn wrote:Ashlynn reaches down to her feet, and with an obvious effort, pulls the large bookwyrm up to her lap.

"This is my large adult son. I'm naming him Huey. He has a name already of course, but it's in dragonese. He's just so PUDGY and ADORABLE. He's a bookwyrm. And he was a bargain! ALL of this magnificent bookwyrm at a fraction of the price of the others." She turns him around to face her, with some effort due to his girth. "We're gonna have so much fun together, yes we are! This is what peak performance looks like, isn't it? Yes it is!"


Lore: Demons & Monsters 119% vs 1d100:
39
| Identify what she's holding as she speaks.

Grants shoulders shrug as his arms begin to raise and then suddenly drop as she pulls out the creature, a mini-dragon not at all what he was expecting to be shown.

As she finishes saying 'ADORABLE', they both say together, "He's a bookwyrm." Grant's eyes dodge over to look at Mr. Horne's reaction. Having been in the presence of the Three, Grant had been in-front of formidable presences before, and having met the cordial being already, he doesn't have any conscious fear of the man/dragon. But the fact that Ashlynn has obtained a dragon like creature as a...pet, momentarily stops Grant in his tracks. Is he smiling, is that a bit of smoke coming from a nostril? His gaze returns to Ashlynn and her new friend. "He is...magnificent." Perhaps general flattery of dragon-kind will work in our favor. "I've seen how you worry and care for John and his son Zac already. I have no doubt, that Huey is in good hands."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:39 am

Perception: 1d100:
37

JIC: 1d20:
14
and 1d100:
30


In Friendly Fred's

When the shopkeeper says the Ferrets will be 1000 credits to bond Jack is beyond elated. "Did you say 1000 credits, For real?!" This is awesome, I was so worried they would be more. I mean really they would be worth so much more to me. Luckily this guy didn't know. I may have lucked out here. I better get this deal done before he changes his mind.

Jack looks over at the Ferrets, They will probably be happier in a pair. "Sir, I would like to have both the white one and the black one. I think they would be happier together. Can you also tell me what I should be feeding them? Jack pulls out his universal card and hand it to the man. "There should be enough on here for both. Do you have a shoulder carrier or a satchel they might be comfortable riding in I might purchase as well?"

Jack looks at the two ferrets, "Are they both girls or boys? They need appropriate names of course. They will be greatly loved and I will care for them as well as I care for myself."

At Diner (if it happens after Fred's)….

When Grant asks the group what they purchased, Jack reaches into the new satchel hanging around his neck. "Two furry little thieves to roam the forest with me. They are my buddies. And the price was amazing, that guy doesn't know how to bargain at all. He only charged me 1000 credits each! Can you believe that. It was a steal! I mean really! look at these guys. They are perfect.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:04 am

Perception: 1d100:
51
/37%
JIC (20): 1d20:
5

JIC (100): 1d100:
44





Virtus wrote:Outside the Restaurant

Yojimbo outside the restaurant is noticed by several pedestrians walking by. However their curiosity is fleeting as such things aren't entirely uncommon in Dweomer though they don't expect him to be autonomous. After a few moments bird begin to use him as a temporary perch unless he moves. Their pleasant songs and humourous antics give a peaceful background to the city bustle. The girls face comes back to him. He can see her lips move in his memory but he can't remember her words.


Yojimbo stands outside like a stoic statue, not moving or responsive to the glances of the passersby. As someone who has been on Rifts Earth for a few years now, and who wandered the western part of North America for almost a year, he has seen the stares of bewilderment, wonder, awe, and amazement before.

At least they aren't stares of fear... he thinks, grateful to be in a place that doesn't loathe him for his alien and unusual appearance.

Perhaps they think I am some weird 'borg or "automaton"

Yojimbo remembers some of the automatons he saw throughout the day and tour of the city.

When the birds perch on him, he is delighted, and it puts him in a contemplative and reflective mood.

"Hello, little birds," he says to them softly. "Have you come to tell me a secret?" The birds' chirping reminds him of something.

"Never spurn a person who has shown you favor in the past," he says, quoting from Hagakure thoughtfully.

With only the birds to keep him company, Yojimbo is where he wants to be. In his relative solitude, despite the hustle and bustle of others around him, the big creature begins to compose some haiku in his head.

Yes... one for each of them... he thinks, nodding and satisfied that he has a new project to work on.

Skill Roll: Poetry: Haiku (compose various Haikus about the party members) --> Haiku 1d100:
67
/42%


OOC Comments
Yojimbo will continue to try to create good Haikus over time until he has them just right. He will also request to stop by an arts and crafts supply store, and some other stores, to acquire some pieces of bone and replenish his supplies. If there is a credit cost, please let me know and/or update accordingly.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ronith » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 am

JIC: 1d20:
9
, 1d100:
2

PER: 1d100:
72
vs. 66% (+15% hearing)
Conditions
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.


Yojimbo wrote:"Sir Ronith Turand, I am content to stay and guard the boxes and others if you have other matters to attend to. I do not require sleep, food, air, rest, or the other standard necessities that most other mortals require. As such, I can remain vigilant and on guard while you or the others sleep or restore themselves to health. I am at your command, so if you wish me to stay rather than accompany the others into the city, I shall be honored to serve in any manner in which I am needed to."
Tiptoeing around the fact that he doesn't know the Holy Terror all that well, and thus is unlikely to entrust him with guarding the item that the team (and others) risked so much to retrieve, Ronith coughs awkwardly and replies. "Thank you, but that will not be necessary. I have been to Dweomer before, and all I desire for now is some rest. You are free to take the opportunity to get to know the rest of the team; merely report back here once your errands are complete."

Ronith watches the rest of the team, egged on by Ashlynn's exuberance, get ready for a night out on the town as it were. He smiles, feeling every bit the wizened patriarch in that moment. This will be good for them. Especially Ashylnn, she has had a more difficult day than most. Ronith will watch them go, but content himself with securing the APC and its contents (keeping the case and journal with him as he does so), puttering around Horne's manner to the extent that politeness allows him as a guest, and finally retiring somewhere where he can meditate and rest after an extraordinarily stressful day.

Virtus wrote:Alari Whyne finds Sir Ronith amid happy conversation. "So, has our agreement been fulfilled? Am I free to go? Our partnership may have been tense but my talents are always for hire."
Ronith meet's the changeling's stare for a breath or two, before nodding. "My word is my bond. You have held up your end of the bargain- you may stay with us if you wish transportation back to MercTown, or be free to enter Dweomer." Ronith glances at Beltin, and adds "We may have need of your services in the future. If you find yourself amenable, reach out to Zoe at the Haven and leave her a method we can use to get in touch with you." If Whyne does decide to leave the team's company, Ronith gives her a sharp nod and adds "Fare well."

When the excursion turns into a guided tour, Ronith follows along- still keeping his charges on his person. The armor on loan from Weiss, however, Ronith will leave behind. He will follow along silently, however, unable to fully relax given that some of the Sunaj escaped. Ronith will be quiet, distracted (irritable if pressed), and among the first to retire for the evening when all is said and done. Anyone requesting an advance (within reason) on their share of the cash payment will receive it.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Always active- Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible
+12 vs. Magic, 11 vs. HF, 8 vs. Psi
Status
ISP- 50/66; PPE- 57/57; MDC- 86/86; EBA destroyed
Talismans: AoI (0/3); Invulnerability (0/3); Cleanse (2/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +1 dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Virtus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Conditions
Time & Date: Day 3, 10:10pm
Climate: 55F, Sunny with a strong breeze out of the north west
Visibility: 1 miles
Terrain: Affluent residential neighborhood
Active Radio Traffic
Heavy magic activity within 500ft


Alari Whyne

Ronith's affirmation of her freedom sees a change in demeanour from Whyne. She nods and says, "I'll likely be heading to New Lazlo for a while, but once I get settled in, I'll let you know where to find me."

Ashlynn stops Whyne and inquires about hiring her. Alari looks at the enthusiastic girl and considers her offer. "Well I can do that, but let me get settled in New Lazlo. I've had an ID there for years but haven't been back for a while so I'm sure I'll have to do a bit of dusting. I'll contact you in the next month."

Unless someone stops her, she leaves seeming to already have a plan for an exit.

Freds

The chubby, sort of little dragon, omits and loud grunt when Ashlynn picks him up, folds of skin lapping over her arms. Taken to a separate room, Fred himself instructs her to sit in a magic circle along with the bookwyrm. The process takes an hour. Inside the separate room, the sense of any commercial aspect is lost. The seriousness of the situation impresses itself upon her. Fred takes hair from Ashlynn and scale from the creature, creating an infusion that he uses to paint more symbols on the floor. In a rush of magic energy Ashlynn feels a tug somewhere in the pit of her stomach. At first it doesn't seem like it works but in the silence she can feel the weight of the Wyrm's mind. Not heavy like a telepath but just a bit of weight similar the sensation of a word on the tip of your tongue. In through this new connection she can feel the sensation of hunger.

Jack's binding with the ferrets is nearly identical save the weight on his mind is minimal and wonder and curiosity are foremost in his mind. The shopkeeps provide him one male and one female ferret. The male is white and the female black. Apparently any backpack will do and they eat a wide variety of food.

An Odd Helmet

In the midst of Barracuda's shopping, he enters a curiosity shop. In a glass case is a helmet unlike any he has seen. The design speaks to a marine origin but what exactly he doesn't know. It speaks to him though. A tall, heavy framed man seems to appear out from behind a rack of belts and hats. "Afternoon friend. Got a question?"

A Secret

Yojimbo takes the opportunity for reflection, composition and poetry. In the breeze as the birds play he asks them "Have you come to tell me a secret?" The birds stop their play and a bluebird turns its head so as to see him. He then notices a girl standing across the street looking at him. He remembers the girl from before except she is older than he remembers, perhaps twenty years old. He then realizes she's not standing on the sidewalk but on the shores of a great river. Yojimbo then realizes there is a great distance between them. Suddenly the birds on his shoulder take flight and the scene returns to normal.

Moving On.

After dinner concludes, Horne recommends heading for his home. "You may stay as long as you like, but I expect you will be heading on soon. Is there anything I can help with?" If not, he informs everyone that rooms are ready for you all to spend the evening.

Once everyone is done in Dwoemer and have returned to Horne's residence, they find that Brittain and the McGrath's have departed in secret. Bogg remains but asks to "Catch a ride." back to Merctown when you go.

Merctown ((when you're ready))

Arriving in Merctown, Heroes for Hire finds a reasonably pleasant day, though chilly while in the shade. The Haven is covered in large tarps, while scaffolding covers much of the exterior. Zoe can be seen from a distance having a disagreement with one of the workers over work details. Either way, Marit greets Beltin at the door.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Barracuda » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Perception: 1d100:
16
/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20:
9
/1d100:
34


An Odd Helmet:

Oh man, they've got all sorts of cool old stuff here. I should have brought my clock! Nah, I can clean it up some and sell it for way more. Or... maybe I should put it on my wall? He pokes around for a while until he comes across the aquatic looking helmet. What. Is. That. When the large man comes from behind the belts and hats, Barracuda smiles and asks "What's the deal with this thing? It looks very sea-style. I'm very sea-style."
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Ashlynn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Perception: 76% /81% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100:
31

JIC: 1d20:
17

1d100:
63




Alari Whyne wrote:"Well I can do that, but let me get settled in New Lazlo. I've had an ID there for years but haven't been back for a while so I'm sure I'll have to do a bit of dusting. I'll contact you in the next month."


Ashlynn nods eagerly. "That's fair - you gotta get an office situated and get yourself established and everything. Contact me when you're ready and if she hasn't turned up yet, you're hired." Ash smiles brightly.

Barter 74% 1d100:
100
(to impress upon her the value of haste - CRIT. FAIL)




Freds

Ashlynn sits nervously in the magical circle. Her heart pounding and face flushed, knowing this is a bond she can't take back - this is permanent. As a family should be. She is at once excited and terrified - terrified that she will fail at being what this bookwyrm needs most. She begins biting her lower lip as Fred works, creating an infusion and completing the ritual.

At first, the feeling of pressure at the back of her mind is small - simply a curiosity. Then she feels the hunger. Oh my! I can actually FEEL his FEELINGS. Her heart fills to overflowing with love for the little guy. She smiles, small tears forming in her eyes at the connection - a kind of connection felt by few others - that links them inexorably. She dries her eyes with the back of her hand, and scoops Huey into her lap. Peering into his eyes, she says "I dunno if you understand words. I have a LOT to learn about being your... family, I guess. But even if you can't understand me yet, I hope you can feel the truth in what I'm saying. I'm gonna put in the work. I'm gonna learn what you need. I'm gonna learn to understand you. You're mine now... but, like... also? I'm yours. That's how this works. Now... lemme get you fed."




When Bogg asks about catching a ride, Ashlynn is elated. She turns to Ronith "Oh, please say yes! we spent so long thinkin' he was dead and he's not and I just wanna ask him everything! Like, how'd he make the journey to Dweomer on foot with the Sunaj after him, an' What's he gonna do next, an' if he lives in Merctown, maybe we can be friends? Like I wanna go an' see him and chat, because we spent so long on his trail I feel like I know 'im an' I wanna really know what he's like.?"

If Bogg accompanies the group, Ashlynn will make a pest of herself, talking to, about, and near him with way too much exuberance for a Larmac, until someone helps her put the brakes on.

In between time, she will pore into her books about the care of a familiar, about bookwyrms, and about animal training in general until she feels she has a handle on what Huey needs and how best to provide it. And when she's not doing that, she's riding atop the APC with Huey, talking to or with him in dragonese, wind in their hair/scales, enjoying simply being alive.

Lore: Cattle & Animals 30% 1d100:
34
(to learn the basics of animal handling - FAIL)
Lore: Demons & Monsters 30% 1d100:
52
(to learn customs, habits, and needs of bookwyrms - FAIL)
Lore: Magic - General Knowledge: 25% 1d100:
99
(to learn the care and feeding of familiars - CRIT. FAIL)

Ashlynn slams the books shut in disgust. "This is stupid! I feel like I know less now than I did when I started!"




Home

When they reach the Haven, and find it covered in tarps, Ashlynn's face turns beet-red, knowing she did this. She wordlessly helps unload the APC, and plots her next step in helping find Jaxia Weiss.

When she has time, up in her room, she resigns herself to further study.

Lore: Cattle & Animals 30% 1d100:
87
(to learn the basics of animal handling - fAIL)
Lore: Demons & Monsters 30% 1d100:
31
(to learn customs, habits, and needs of bookwyrms - FAIL)
Lore: Magic - General Knowledge: 25% 1d100:
46
(to learn the care and feeding of familiars - FAIL)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 15/45
S.D.C.: 26/68


Bushman Trooper EBA (borrowed from Weiss)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50/50
  • Arms: 32/32 each
  • Legs: 57/57 each
  • Main Body: 90/90
User avatar
Ashlynn
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Perception: 50% 1d100:
7

JIC 1d100:
66
1d20:
19


Yojimbo wrote:"It was the Job Mark-" begins Yojimbo before he abruptly stops.

"Six years?!? Is this not... P.A. 108...?!?" says the Holy Terror slowly.
[/b]

I was only FRAKKING joking. Weiss' heart sinks as they realise that Yojimbo had been trapped there for 3 years. Was anybody looking for him? Did anybody care that he was gone?

"It's P.A. 111," Weiss' face looks low as he informs Yojimbo of the year, as he pats Yojimbo on the arm comfortingly.

"Let's get back inside and speak to Grant. He might be able to help."

As Yojimbo speaks to Grant, he spots Whynne talking to Sir Ronith. Hearing Yojimbo's lost time galvanised Weiss into

Virtus wrote:Alari Whyne finds Sir Ronith amid happy conversation. "So, has our agreement been fulfilled? Am I free to go? Our partnership may have been tense but my talents are always for hire."



"Actually, I may have a job for you,"Weiss speaks to Alari, his hand rubs his beard as he does so, "I have somebody who needs finding. When you get settled, I would like"


Yojimbo wrote:The metallic monstrosity nods at Weiss, still stunned that years passed while he was "asleep" - though Holy Terrors need no sleep!


"Mr Horne, a little assistance if you or some of your colleagues might know where I might find a salvage yard here in Dweomer?" he asks


Weiss spends his time otherwise looking for somewhere that might have the parts he needs to repair the Beauty, notably a new sensor turret and Rail Gun. Everything else looked repairable, but those parts were completely blown to smithereens. Figure that Merctown is probably my better bet, especially with the salvager we did a deal with. Using his pocket computer, he takes a few pictures of Dweomer architecture and sights, though he takes care to not snap any pics of any defenses to avoid getting on the bad side of the law enforcement here.

still, it does not hurt to have a look around. Zac may not be here, but at least I can bring him some pictures back. Then see about enrolling him with the Mages' guild.

OOC Comments
Find Contraband, Weapons, & Cybernetics 53% 1d100:
83


At dinner, Weiss scrubs up smartly in the nearest equivalent to a military dress uniform that Horne can provide. He is mostly quiet, especially when Ash and Jack show off their pets, lost in his own thoughts as he plans for what he wants Whynne to do to find Jazia. He looks uncomfortable

Barracuda wrote:At dinner, Ben has a seat near Weiss and chats a bit between bites. "You ever see anything like this city before? If it wasn't some crazy secret, I would almost live here over MercTown."


Weiss is roused from his introspection by Ben chatting to him and it takes a few seconds for him to be able to think to respond.

"Visited Lazlo a couple of times in the past and passed through Tolkeen years before the war. Looks a bit similar to those, Tolkeen especially has always had a lot of defenses in place." He looks around for a second, noting any obvious use of magic.
"Maybe it's my technical mindset or unlike most people here, I can't do magic or demonstrate the slightest bit of psychic ability, but somewhere like Merctown feels normal to me. There I could build most of the place, here I just get in the way and I'm not sure how much a place like this changes." he chuckles at a memory that comes back to him, "admittedly Merctown has changed over the years. It's certainly not the same place it was when we took it."
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:18 pm

New Perception: 72% vs 1d100:
59

JIC: 1d20:
11
, 1d100 = 46

Constant Abilities
Character Sheet

  • Sense Ley Line: 79%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 89%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 120mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 800'
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 14
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 90/90
  • I.S.P.: 78/78
  • P.P.E.: 610/610
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 24 days | Provides air, food, water, and only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.



Having seen no adverse reaction from Mr. Horne when Ashlynn displays her Bookwyrm, he relaxes. When Jack proudly displays his two ferrets, Grant quirks a smile. He's bonded with a pair of rats? He thinks to himself having never seen this type of creature before and not recalling it in his studies of the various magical creatures of North America. Their bodies limp in Jack's hands and an expression of tomfoolery on their furry faces, Grant says as he reaches over to let them sniff his hand and if allowed pet them, "Um, they are very cute. You've bonded with both? Fred's magic is impressive, I've only heard tales of mages bonding with one familiar because of the inherent danger to the themselves. I am sure they will be helpful companions, but you must also keep them safe from harm. What harms them will harm you as well."

Heading home...

Bogg wrote:Once everyone is done in Dwoemer and have returned to Horne's residence, they find that Brittain and the McGrath's have departed in secret. Bogg remains but asks to "Catch a ride." back to Merctown when you go.


Ashlynn wrote:When Bogg asks about catching a ride, Ashlynn is elated. She turns to Ronith "Oh, please say yes! we spent so long thinkin' he was dead and he's not and I just wanna ask him everything! Like, how'd he make the journey to Dweomer on foot with the Sunaj after him, an' What's he gonna do next, an' if he lives in Merctown, maybe we can be friends? Like I wanna go an' see him and chat, because we spent so long on his trail I feel like I know 'im an' I wanna really know what he's like.?"


Grant nods to Bogg and Ashlynn and then says to Sir Ronith, "It shouldn't be a problem including him in the magic to take us back to MercTown."

In the short time he is at the Heroes Haven before returning to Dweomer. He tells his companions, "I will be gone for a while performing my duties to Dweomer, if any of the Talisman's I've given you have been used, please let me have them back and I will re-energize them before I leave." He takes the small trinkets from his teammates and retreats to his room. Once there, using the power of the ley line that flows over and through the building as it travels towards the nexus at the Collegiate Arcane, he recharges the talismans. Holding each one he closes his eyes and concentrates on infusing the spell magic back into the charm.

Once that task is complete, he goes through his pouches and takes out three each of the already enchanted shield (Armor of Ithan) and hollow triangle (Sustain) charms and a length of silver chain. Grant then goes through his un-enchanted charms and pulls out a cube and a square and enchants the cube with Cleanse and the square with Invulnerability.

With the work completed, he meditates for a few minutes to ensure his energies are replenished. He contemplates what the Three will ask of him next. Demons? My magic has mostly been about travel and utility, with defense secondary, offense a distant third. Perhaps I will be tasked with getting battle magi into or out of battle quickly as the need arises.

He puts the small velvet bags back into his dimensional pockets and then leaves his room. He returns the talismans to the group. To Jack he hands the newly made Talismans of Cleanse and Invulnerability. "To complete the set," Grant says as he gives them to Jack. He then shows Jack and Ashlynn the three sets of charms (Armor of Ithan and Sustain). Concern evident in his voice, he says "These are for your familiars, they are literally your lives now, you must protect them accordingly. There is enough chain there to make three necklaces, but you'll need to get them sized by a jeweler. Remember each charm can be used three times before the magic is used up."

To Yojimbo he says, "I've given the team various useful Talismans. The charms are most likely to delicate for one of your great strength to use without breaking them while trying to use them. If you find any objects that you can handle without breaking easily, I will enchant them for you as well upon my return. They can be up to two feet long," Grant holds out his hands to show the size, "and must not be made of iron or plastic."

For Jack and Ashlynn to add as needed to their familiar's equipment.
Code: Select all
[b]Talisman of Armor of Ithan[/b]
[img]http://explorersunlimited.com/images/upload/2019/01/26/20190126131236-e522d633.png[/img]
[size=85][i]Talisman[/i]
[u]Magic Features[/u]
[list][*]Armor of Ithan
[*]Duration: 5 minutes
[*]M.D.C.: 50 (1/2 damage from magical fire, cold, and lightning)
[*]Charges: 3[/list]
Book Reference: p.150, BoM[/size]


[b]Talisman of Cleanse[/b]
[img]http://explorersunlimited.com/images/upload/2019/01/26/20190126131236-e522d633.png[/img]
[size=85][i]Talisman[/i]
[u]Magic Features[/u]
[list][*]Cleanse
[*]Charges: 3[/list]
Book Reference: p.150, BoM[/size]

[b]Talisman of Sustain[/b]
[img]http://explorersunlimited.com/images/upload/2019/01/26/20190126131236-e522d633.png[/img]
[size=85][i]Talisman[/i]
[u]Magic Features[/u]
[list][*]Sustain
[*]Require no food, water, or breath, need only 2 hours of sleep/night. Can survive almost all environmental conditions
[*]Duration: 5 days
[*]Charges: 3[/list]
Book Reference: p.150, BoM[/size]

[b]Talisman of Invulnerability[/b]
[img]http://explorersunlimited.com/images/upload/2019/01/26/20190126131236-e522d633.png[/img]
[size=85][i]Talisman[/i]
[u]Magic Features[/u]
[list][*]Invulnerability
[*]M.D.C.: 50
[*]Impervious to cold, disease, drugs, gases, energy, poison, and toxins
[*]+10 vs magic, psionics, & horror factor
[*]Duration: 5 melees
[*]Charges: 3[/list]
Book Reference: p.150, BoM[/size]
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Weiss » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:36 am

Rolls carried

Virtus wrote:Bogg remains but asks to "Catch a ride." back to Merctown when you go.


"Well," he looks at the Larmac and at Yojimbo "you can't possibly weigh anywhere near as much as him so we should be able to handle it." he stops and sighs as he thinks about everything

"Anyway, I did promise to find you. Be a bit harsh to not give you a lift home. I doubt you want to walk back, though if you want the truck back, you'll have to talk to Beltin about that."


Merctown

Weiss looks around at the damage and sighs.

I suppose I should get involved in fixing this up, but more important things first.

"Marit, do you know where Zac is?" he calls out to the young woman.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am

Perception: 1d100:
95

JIC: 1d20:
17
and 1d100:
39


At Diner...
Grant Latham wrote:"Um, they are very cute. You've bonded with both? Fred's magic is impressive, I've only heard tales of mages bonding with one familiar because of the inherent danger to the themselves. I am sure they will be helpful companions, but you must also keep them safe from harm. What harms them will harm you as well."


Cute? They are ferocious! Cute. "They are very handsome creatures! Like me! I am only bonded to one." Jack holds up the Black female. "Her name is shadow. Her companion here will be called Ice Bear! I thought Shadow would be better off with a friend." Jack turns them both toward himself and snuggles his face in between them.

As Jack puts them back in his satchel he says, "These guys are great for playing hide and seek, or snatch and run. They are my little buddies. I will keep them safe for sure." A warm feeling comes over Jack of happiness and love, If you can here me shadow, I hope you know how loved the two of you will be.

Heading home...

When the group gets to the haven and Jack sees the construction he tilts his head slightly confused. So much has changed in such a short period of time. He looks over to Ronith and says, "Remodeling? Didn't like the drapes or something?" Jack hops off the boar and checks on his two companions to make sure they made the trip comfortably.

Once he is sure his two little friends are good to go he turns back to the group and asks, "So how do I go about getting a place to sleep around here? Been a long trip and I am looking forward to a shower and a nap." Looking around a bit he wonders, gonna need a place to park the boar. Don't want to leave her on the street. Once given direction Jack will unpack his belongings and take them all to his new room.

Grant Latham wrote:He puts the small velvet bags back into his dimensional pockets and then leaves his room. He returns the talismans to the group. To Jack he hands the newly made Talismans of Cleanse and Invulnerability. "To complete the set," Grant says as he gives them to Jack. He then shows Jack and Ashlynn the three sets of charms (Armor of Ithan and Sustain). Concern evident in his voice, he says "These are for your familiars, they are literally your lives now, you must protect them accordingly. There is enough chain there to make three necklaces, but you'll need to get them sized by a jeweler. Remember each charm can be used three times before the magic is used up."


When Grant approaches him with he talismans he says, "Wow. Man. That is really cool of you. Thank you!" Wow, can this guy really be that nice? They have all been so kind. Is it a trap? The elf seems to be very upstanding. But. Is it all a façade? Jack wonders suspiciously. "Your concern seems so genuine. I am not used to this. It has been a long time." Confused, Jack puts his head down and walks away. As he walks away he says quietly, "Thank you"

On his way back to his room he gets lost in his thoughts. I can't let my guard down. It could all be a trick. A shame. Loosen me up then eat me or something. It feels so good to have a home. And Family. Just can't let it make me soft. Not now. Not yet.
Last edited by Jack McDermott on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:28 am

Perception: 1d100:
13
/37%
JIC (20): 1d20:
12

JIC (100): 1d100:
99





Before the Dweomer Excursion...

Ronith wrote:Ronith coughs awkwardly and replies. "Thank you, but that will not be necessary. I have been to Dweomer before, and all I desire for now is some rest. You are free to take the opportunity to get to know the rest of the team; merely report back here once your errands are complete."


Yojimbo bows and simply says, "As you wish."




Outside the restaurant...

Virtus wrote:A Secret

Yojimbo takes the opportunity for reflection, composition and poetry. In the breeze as the birds play he asks them "Have you come to tell me a secret?" The birds stop their play and a bluebird turns its head so as to see him. He then notices a girl standing across the street looking at him. He remembers the girl from before except she is older than he remembers, perhaps twenty years old. He then realizes she's not standing on the sidewalk but on the shores of a great river. Yojimbo then realizes there is a great distance between them. Suddenly the birds on his shoulder take flight and the scene returns to normal.


Yojimbo reels from the strange trance-like state which briefly transported him away from his contemplation and to the surreal scene on the river shore.

There she is again... this must have meaning. Perhaps Grant can elucidate he thinks.

Once the scene is past, a quote from the Hagakure lingers in his mind... "A mind ‘free of thought’ is one that is pure with ‘correct thought’ (shōnen)."

Yojimbo decides to let it settle for a bit, and does his best not to let the scene bother him more.

Instead, he returns to his contemplative mood and begins to work on his haiku and gift ideas... his mind pure... for now.




Ashlynn wrote:In between time, she will pore into her books about the care of a familiar, about bookwyrms, and about animal training in general until she feels she has a handle on what Huey needs and how best to provide it. And when she's not doing that, she's riding atop the APC with Huey, talking to or with him in dragonese, wind in their hair/scales, enjoying simply being alive.


Yojimbo notices Ashlynn's devotion to the Bookwyrm approvingly.

It is good that she found a companion, and is learning of the responsibilities of caring for one. He is pleased to see the young woman enjoying herself and bonding with her new familiar, though he does not quite know what having a familiar entails.





At Merctown...

Grant wrote:To Yojimbo he says, "I've given the team various useful Talismans. The charms are most likely to delicate for one of your great strength to use without breaking them while trying to use them. If you find any objects that you can handle without breaking easily, I will enchant them for you as well upon my return. They can be up to two feet long," Grant holds out his hands to show the size, "and must not be made of iron or plastic."


"Arigatōgozaimashita, Grant," says Yojimbo with a bow. "I shall seek out sturdy materials to utilize for these Talisman charms. What are they used for?" he asks, knowing next to nothing of magic other than what he has seen and instinctively knows how to cast like all members of his race.

Presuming Grant explains, Yojimbo thanks him and then realizes at that moment that it is time to speak of his vision.

He asks to speak with Grant privately about a matter of import.

If Grant agrees, Yojimbo will also find Ronith and request the same. "Sir Ronith Turand, there is a matter of import that I wish to speak with you and Grant about - privately. Do you have a bit of time to spare?" says the Holy Terror in a serious tone.

Once the three are alone, Yojimbo continues: "Thank you for hearing this. I feel I should tell you both about a vision I had while still in Dweomer. As I waited outside the restaurant for the group's well-deserved dinner, a pair of birds landed on me and proceeded to sing and play. I asked them if they were there to share a secret with me - in a playful way. To my astonishment, the birds stopped singing and playing, and a blue one turned to look at me."

Yojimbo pauses a moment to let that sink in, ensuring he has the duo's full attention, before continuing: "At this point, I came to realize that someone was looking at me. When I looked, I saw a girl across the street staring. It looked very much like the girl I told you about before, from my fragmented memory that is, apparently, from years ago - though I do not recall, still."

He shifts uncomfortably for a moment at the troubling thought gnawing at him in the back of his head.

Am I losing my mind?

Snapping out of it when he realizes Ronith and Grant are still there and listening patiently, Yojimbo launches back into his story: "There was something different about her this time. She was... older. Perhaps twenty years of age in appearance. It is at that moment I realized I was not looking across the street at her, but rather, she was standing on the bank of a great river, and it felt as if she was far, far away..."

Yojimbo trails off and lets the words sink in.

"At that point, the vision ended, and I was back in Dweomer. The birds flew away and everything was back to 'normal'. I was uncertain what to make of this vision but, after a bit of time, I felt I should share it with you as well. I cannot escape the feeling that this person..this girl... is an important link to what might have happened behind that door, and in that realm of strangeness. What are your thoughts?" asks the Holy Terror to the pair.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Grant Latham » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:28 pm

(rolls carried)

Jack McDermott wrote:When Grant approaches him with he talismans he says, "Wow. Man. That is really cool of you. Thank you!" Wow, can this guy really be that nice? They have all been so kind. Is it a trap? The elf seems to be very upstanding. But. Is it all a facade? Jack wonders suspiciously. "Your concern seems so genuine. I am not used to this. It has been a long time." Confused, Jack puts his head down and walks away. As he walks away he says quietly, "Thank you"


I haven't figured this man out at all, Grant thinks. His disfigurement doesn't seem to affect him at all beside perhaps his constant attempts at humor. A few things he has said haven't made sense as if he were not from here...or possibly now. Grant clasps him on the shoulder and responds, "My reasons are not entirely altruistic. By giving you the means to protect yourself, I can avoid spending extra magical energy at a critical moment."


Yojimbo wrote:"Arigatōgozaimashita, Grant," says Yojimbo with a bow. "I shall seek out sturdy materials to utilize for these Talisman charms. What are they used for?" he asks, knowing next to nothing of magic other than what he has seen and instinctively knows how to cast like all members of his race.


"From what little you have told us about yourself and Holy Terrors in general, you are much..sturdier...than the rest of us. I have gifted to them four talismans, one that creates an invisible suit of armor for a short time, the second that makes them virtually invulnerable to energy, magic, and psionics for about a minute, a third that will sustain their biological functions in most environments, and lastly, possibly the most important, a talisman that will instantly clean their bodies and clothes."

Grant looks up at the imposing being. "I could see that the cleansing talisman might be useful to you, showers most likely not being at all large enough for you," Grant says while tapping his lips with a finger. "Defensive magics are possibly redundant, so perhaps a talisman of languages and one of flight? I bet many would be surprised if you suddenly zoomed into the air."

Yojimbo wrote:Presuming Grant explains, Yojimbo thanks him and then realizes at that moment that it is time to speak of his vision.

He asks to speak with Grant privately about a matter of import.

If Grant agrees, Yojimbo will also find Ronith and request the same. "Sir Ronith Turand, there is a matter of import that I wish to speak with you and Grant about - privately. Do you have a bit of time to spare?" says the Holy Terror in a serious tone.


Grant takes the Holy Terror aside, and listens to Yojimbo's concern. "Yes, certainly, many things about the Whither Gate have been conveniently occurred. It's as if there were many aligned forces wanting us to find it."

Yojimbo is so much like a magical construct, yet obviously is alive, it is an odd juxtaposition to find that he can be discombobulated and distressed, the Lord Magi thinks as they go find Sir Ronith.

When Yojimbo finishes describing his vision to Grant and Sir Ronith, the mage says. "Well, we've already discussed that your last memories prior to us finding you were from MercTown and from a few years ago. In a half dozen years a child changes dramatically. Perhaps it's her or the child's mother."

He turns and looks out the doorway, as if he were looking at something only he can see, then he turns back to the pair. "Beltin has a device that can project another's thoughts holographically. Perhaps we should ask to borrow it from him and you can show us what the woman looks like. That way if any of us come across her we may recognize her."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

Info
H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:21 pm

**rolls held**

Grant Latham wrote:"From what little you have told us about yourself and Holy Terrors in general, you are much..sturdier...than the rest of us. I have gifted to them four talismans, one that creates an invisible suit of armor for a short time, the second that makes them virtually invulnerable to energy, magic, and psionics for about a minute, a third that will sustain their biological functions in most environments, and lastly, possibly the most important, a talisman that will instantly clean their bodies and clothes."

Grant looks up at the imposing being. "I could see that the cleansing talisman might be useful to you, showers most likely not being at all large enough for you," Grant says while tapping his lips with a finger. "Defensive magics are possibly redundant, so perhaps a talisman of languages and one of flight? I bet many would be surprised if you suddenly zoomed into the air."


Yojimbo nods, taking in what Grant tells him.

Intriguing... small charms that hold spells?

"The spell you cast upon me that cleaned the garbage, yes. That would be highly useful. With regard to protective magics or other magics of utility, I will defer to your judgment. I will say that language barriers have not been a concern for me - yet. Do you have anything to help against fire? Also, you mentioned the material cannot be plastic or iron. Are there any other restrictions?"

Skill Roll
Anthropology (in order to not offend Grant) --> 1d100:
61
/42%


Have I breached ettiquette with Grant? I should be careful not to offend... he thinks to himself.

He awkwardly tries to change the subject: "I will be happy with whatever gifts you give, of course. How long before your return?"

Grant wrote:When Yojimbo finishes describing his vision to Grant and Sir Ronith, the mage says. "Well, we've already discussed that your last memories prior to us finding you were from MercTown and from a few years ago. In a half dozen years a child changes dramatically. Perhaps it's her or the child's mother."


"It is possible, I suppose, that she is, as you say. However, I must tell you that, it was determined after speaking with Weiss, I was 'sleeping' for three years rather than six. This may not matter, or it may be of great importance" says the metallic giant to the Lord Magus.

Grant wrote:He turns and looks out the doorway, as if he were looking at something only he can see, then he turns back to the pair. "Beltin has a device that can project another's thoughts holographically. Perhaps we should ask to borrow it from him and you can show us what the woman looks like. That way if any of us come across her we may recognize her."


"This sounds like a promising device. I look forward to seeing it!" says the armored behemoth.

A device like this could help transcend many communication barriers.
Yojimbo
Current Status
M.D.C.: 1005/1005
P.P.E.: 420/420
I.S.P.: 60/60


Current Conditions: None.

Weapons and Items Worn or Carried

Always On
  • See the Invisible
  • Nightvision (1000ft)
  • Indefatigable

Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death: N/A! Depleting the main body (or destroying the head) will destroy Yojimbo.
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): N/A
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): N/A
Insanity (12+): +4
Psionics (12): +7
Horror Factor (varies): +5
Impervious to supernatural possession, can survive indefinitely in vacuum/at any depth, impervious to weather/exposure, indefatigable, impervious to poison, drugs, or magic potions, cannot be turned into a vampire, immune to vampire's mind control bite
Rune weapons and fire inflict double damage Holy Terrors. Furthermore, Holy Terrors cannot use any type of symbiotic organism or learn to commune with Wormwood magic. They can draw power from symbiotic crystals and stones.
User avatar
Yojimbo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Beyond Broken Door

Postby Jack McDermott » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:06 pm

Jack McDermott wrote:Perception: Original post: 1d100:
95

JIC: Original post: 1d20:
17
and Original post: 1d100:
39


Grant Latham wrote:I haven't figured this man out at all, Grant thinks. His disfigurement doesn't seem to affect him at all beside perhaps his constant attempts at humor. A few things he has said haven't made sense as if he were not from here...or possibly now. Grant clasps him on the shoulder and responds, "My reasons are not entirely altruistic. By giving you the means to protect yourself, I can avoid spending extra magical energy at a critical moment."


As Jack is walking away he hears Grant's reply, Even when admitting he has ulterior motives he is still basing those on caring. Does he feel like worrying about having enough power to save me later is some evil thing? Without turning toward the man or lifting his head, "Just means you are thinking about me even deeper. You care enough to think beyond today. I have not had the luxury to live beyond the present in a long time."

What if it isn't a game? What if there really are caring people left in the world?Do I have the capacity to care for these people the same way? Will I be capable of caring that way ever? Jack continues walking, too scared of the emotions involved in continuing that conversation and confused about his own inner feelings. "Be safe Grant! Don't do anything I wouldn't do while your helping your friends." Would be a shame to loose one of the last good folks in the world.
[H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
Saving Throw Bonuses
  • Coma/Death: +10%
  • Magic (varies):
  • Lethal Poison (14+): +2
  • Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +2
  • Insanity (12+): +1
  • Psionics (varies): +1
  • Horror Factor (varies):

Combat Data
  • HTH Type: Expert
  • Number of Attacks: 5
  • Initiative Bonus: +1
  • Strike Bonus: +3
  • Parry Bonus: +5
  • Dodge Bonus: +5
  • HTH Damage Bonus:
  • Kick Attack: 1D8 damage
  • Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +6
  • Bonus to Pull a Punch:
  • Bonus to Disarm:
  • Automatic Knockout on natural roll of 20

NE-BA-30 Light Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Head/Helmet - 50/50
  • Arms -30 /30
  • Legs - 40/40
  • Main Body -60 /60
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to H4H Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests