House Rules: Combat

Home to house rules, approved player-created content for the setting, and both our character and adventure archives.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

House Rules: Combat

Postby Dark Lord » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:16 am

Skills like Demon/Monster Lore, Galactic Lore, D-Bee Lore, etc. can be used in an attempt to identify opponents you are facing. Assuming the skill matches the nature of the opponent (i.e. no using Demon/Monster Lore to ID plain old aliens), the following applies.

Everyone gets a 'freebie' attempt to recognize a creature. Post a skill roll towards the top of your posts (i.e. it doesn't use up an action). When I ask for or mention a lore skill roll in my posts, this is what I am referring to.

If that roll fails, you have the option of pausing to study the opponent- take one melee action to make another skill check. If at any point you are successful, I'll tell you where you can look up the creature, and give you a basic rundown on its stats if you don't have the book in which the creature appears available.

Otherwise, y'all are on the honor system not to use a creature's stats in your character's decision making.
Why kill a PC when you can torture their player?
ImageImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Spaceship Combat [REPOST]

Postby Dark Lord » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:31 am

Spaceship Armor Damage Capacity

Original rules by Shadow Lord, tweaked by yours truly.

For purposes of armor, spaceships will be divided into three classes:

1) Fighters, having less than 1,000 MDC Main Body
2) Medium-sized ships, having between 1,000 and 10,000 MDC Main Body
3) Cruisers and Battleships, which generally have at least 10-15,000 MDC Main Body

Fighters can ignore the rules about to be posted. Their Main Body MDC will be treated like any other vehicle’s- it gets depleted, ship go boom.

The other two types, however, will be treated differently. In general terms, ships this size have a total of six sides- Aft, fore, dorsal, ventral, starboard, and port. For very large ships, the GM may opt to further subdivide these sections. For purposes of determining armor penetration, each of these sides is assumed to have the same total amount of MDC, i.e. damage done to one side does not carry over to another. However, hull breeches on multiple sides of the ship will have a cumulative effect on screwing up ship’s operations, at GM discretion. :twisted:

We have developed a total of three benchmarks for damage a ship suffers. After the first, one or two compartments on the affected side will decompress and become open to space. This will have a minor effect on ship’s operations, but such compartments are designed to be sealed off, so the majority of the ship’s internal compartments will remain intact. Once there is a breech in the hull, gunners may attempt to aggravate the damage by doing a called shot to the breech. There will be a minimum penalty of –5 to –8 to strike, with further penalties up to GM discretion based on the sizes of the ships involved, the actual amount of damage done, and the weapon that first caused the breech (a laser cannon will leave a much smaller hole than a volley of cruise missiles, for example). Standard rules for called shots also apply.

At the second benchmark, most of the compartments on the affected side will be exposed to space, and any weapons, sensors, or other pieces of equipment on that side will either be 100% inoperable or, at GM’s discretion, may function if one of the crew does an EVA an operates it manually. If another side has also suffered significant damage, the GM can start rolling on the optional damage table in the back of the Phase World Sourcebook, or inflict other evil things on the crew.

The third percentage signifies that the internal structure is taking heavy damage. At this point, the GM starts rolling (frequently) on the optional damage tables in back of the PW SB (if he hasn’t already). By now, the ship is in bad shape. All compartments remotely close to the damaged side have been exposed to vacuum, and the rest of the ship is at least slowly decompressing.

Reducing the MDC of any one side of the ship to 0 results in the destruction of the ship. Unlike fighter-class ships, when a larger ship goes up, it does not vanish in a ball of fiery, exploding gases. Most likely, there will be large chunks of the ship still floating about. How much damage, and to which sections it was done, will help the GM determine the makeup of the rubble.

The exact benchmarks for the above depend on the class of ship.

First benchmark- 10% of Main Body MDC for medium ships, 15% for large ones.
Second benchmark- 65% of MB MDC for medium ships, 75% for large.
Third benchmark- 25% of MB MDC for medium, 10% for large.

Note that the benchmarks are mainly guidelines for the GM. Use them as an aid in determining how badly damaged a ship gets as combat proceeds.

Example:

A Warshield-class Cruiser has 45,000 on its main body. So, after 6,750 (15%) MDC has been done to one side, a breech opens. At this point, the ship starts having minor problems, and gunners can target the breech to really screw things up.

The GM can impose optional damage penalties as the armor on that side continues to take damage. Once that same side is down to 4,500 of 45,000 MDC, the internal structure is taking damage. Weapons, etc. are shut down on that side, and every attack that hits this side of the ship should prompt a roll on the optional damage table, or other dire consequences.

Finally, when that side of the Warshield is reduced to 0, the ship is destroyed.

Until someone comes up with a ruling I like better, I have decided that airlocks, entry hatches, and similar points of entrance into a starship will have an MDC capacity equal to the book value for the pilot's compartment. If no such value is listed, GM's discretion (typically it'll be a couple hundred MDC).
ImageImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

HOUSE RULE: Armor and Fields [REPOST]

Postby Dark Lord » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:31 am

As per the book guidelines, a force field, phase field, or similar may be worn bandolier-style over armor, provided that armor's MDC does not exceed 50. Otherwise, the field must be installed in the armor by a professional, for a cost to be determined by the GM.

Furthermore, a maximum of one type of field can be installed on anything, save in special cases as-mentioned in the book.
ImageImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Melee Damage and Enhanced Strength

Postby Dark Lord » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:45 pm

This was a house rule I thought I'd posted a long time ago; my apologies to all you melee fighters who've been short-changed. It's an adaptation from Nightbane, and does supersede both the canon ruling in R:UE and the rules on the main EU site.

When a being with enhanced strength (robotic, supernatural, etc.) uses a melee weapon, their punch damage is added to the damage done by the weapon itself. The SDC damage bonus is treated normally (i.e., ignored in MD settings), and weapon breakage rules are still in effect.

Basically, this rule means that both damage done by super-strong melee fighters and the chances of a normal weapon breaking are higher. If this rule proves too unbalancing, it may be modified in the future.
ImageImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Clarification on EBA and SDC Attacks

Postby Dark Lord » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:32 am

Per the GMG, P. 31- it's very difficult to hurt someone inside EBA. Ordinary melee attacks don't generally inflict SDC damage to people inside armor- this extends to knockout/stun from boxing/HtH skills and similar attacks as well. Only large falls, explosions, or very heavy impacts (e.g., being hit by a fast-moving vehicle) will cause damage and have a chance to KO someone wearing EBA, PA, etc.
Note that this does not apply to trips, pins/holds, or knockdown.
ImageImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Re: House Rules: Combat

Postby Dark Lord » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:34 am

Auto-dodge/auto-parry each have a limit of three simultaneous attackers they can be used against in a given melee round.
When doing combat posts, PCs should continue to post appropriate rolls as per site guidelines. The GM will determine when resolving combat whether the limit has been exceeded (typically no) and post accordingly. Characters such as juicers that can explicitly attempt to avoid every attack directed at them should coordinate with the GM to determine how many auto-dodge rolls to post each round.
ImageImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Return to The DM's Notes