Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

After the Bomb adventure forum
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

PREFACE: To the east of Kingsalter, in the Fallwoods, lies an ancient statue. Erected in a time before the Old Kingdom was ascendant here, the hand has long inspired wonder, rumor and dark practices amongst those who know of its existence. Was there once a whole stone body? What giant left his hand here? Will this god who reaches out from the ground imbue you with the spirit of her wrath? In recent times, the stone holds the name ‘the Hand of Vanth’ and the powers of life and death have been ascribed to it. Legend states that the psychopompic demon Vanth installed five enchanted primate skulls from the underworld in the fingers of the giant stone hand. Some come here to speak to those skulls. Others come to work unholy rituals upon the altar.

Your group has responded to a listing on the local Adventurer's Guild job board:

Urgent help required (discretion and haste both essential): a person of some import has been snatched by the Society of Chiromancers after having been lured to their conference under false pretenses. It is believed the Chiromancers intend to sever the victim’s hands upon their sacrificial altar (in the Fallwood) as part of a ritual renewal of their skills. Please retrieve the victim from this dangerous cult. Remuneration handsome!


You took up the job. The Guild hall was a good source for initial information as its the hub of rumors, scandal, scuttlebutt, and hearsay the kingdom wide. It's a rather shady place, even more socially unsavory than the local taverns of comfort houses. Reaching out to fellow adventurers, you quickly learned that that Harold the Palmist, the son of Heleon Wyck, Kingsalter’s Treasurer, was the "person of some import." You also learned from the guild that Harold has recently been accused of performing shoddy clairvoyance at posh society events. It's late, and you've all been spent a long evening engaging your wits, various charms, and skills at bullshitting in the smoky guildhall. While the information acquired was useful, plying your fellow risk-takers with drinks to get them to spill some intel can be rather taxing. Deciding to retire for the night, you depart the Adventurer's Guild Hall.

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 1st, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Kingsalter
Environment: Urban, Night


Two lit braziers illuminate the central courtyard into which you enter after leaving the guild. You chat with one another as the cool night air embraces you. It's somewhat cooler than the panting-hot daytime, and the light breeze is genuinely refreshing though it carries with it, as always, the scent of ungulate manure from the vast herds surrounding the city and, of course, some of the city's own residents. You find your passage out of the courtyard blocked by two large bovines, each bigger than Irok, but not quite so massive as Quetzal. As your minds tackle the implications of this unforeseen development, two more emerge from the guild hall behind you and cross their large arms in front of their muscular chests, clearly blocking that point of egress as well.

Jesper's Danger Sense is triggered.

One of the big bulls blocking your way from leaving the courtyard takes a step forward threateningly, "You'd best find another gig. The chairmasters don't need anyone else causing them problems." To Irok and Quetzal this seems a reasonable request, though oddly paired with an aggressive tone. To the others of you present, this clearly is a threat to encourage you to stop investigating...and it's pretty clear that the bulls, at least this one speaking, don't fully know what they're talking about given the creative interpretation of the name they dropped. One of the bulls behind the lot of you hollers out, "I dink dey're a bit slow 'twixt deir ears. What say we smash 'em just da make sure dey learn da lesson?"

HOT START! Roll for initiative!
Ambush1.jpg
Butcher's Bill
Auriana:
Irok:
Jesper:
Quetzalcoatl:
Thistle:
Waylin:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [66] = 66 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [3] = 3 / 1d100: [44] = 44
Conditions: Invisible Haze?
Skills: Invoke Trust: 1d100: [30] = 30 / 60%

Kingsalter, Outside of the Adventurer’s Guild

Leaving the guild hall, Jesper finds the cooler air refreshing. He takes in a deep breath, but quickly wrinkles his nose at the stench of the city. I’ll be glad to leave it behind, he complains to himself with a twitch of his whiskers. As the pair of rather large bovines move into their way, Jesper halts his step. One of his ears keeps tabs on the pair before the group, whilst the other swings to catch the sound of two more gathering behind them. Jesper’s eyes follow his ears and he sizes up the bulls surrounding his friends. Hell’s bells! His hand goes to rest upon the hilt of the short sword at his hip.

“Good evening, friends!” Jesper greets them in a light tone, focusing his attention primarily on the first bull to speak up. “Someone was just buying a round in the hall. You might hurry if you wish to partake in a free drink.” With his free hand, Jes gestures to the door. “I’ve had quite enough,” he adds. “And I don’t want to trouble your...Chairmasters, so we’ll be on our way.” (Invoke Trust)

Assuming Jesper isn’t able to sway the bulls with the “promise” of a free drink and they are attacked…

Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: [2] = 2 +1
1. Jesper draws his sword
2. Activates Invisible Haze
3. Runs to the bull on the far right, blocking their exit
4. Assuming he gets there, attacks the bull with his sword:
Strike: 1d20: [11] = 11 +2, Damage: 2d4: [3, 4] = 7 +3

Parries (just in case):
1d20: [18] = 18 -1
1d20: [12] = 12 -1
1d20: [5] = 5 -1
1d20: [19] = 19 -1

IF the bulls allow them to just walk away, Jesper will urge his friends to leave as quickly as possible.
Last edited by Jesper on Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [90] = 90
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 25% / 1d100: [67] = 67
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 / 1d100: [63] = 63

Conditions: Telepathic Listening (if fighting)

Kingsalter, Outside of the Adventurer’s Guild

It was cold outside. The bear had followed his friends outside from the Guildhall, wondering where they were wandering to. Inside it was warm, and there was always good meat to eat. Folk would chew away happily whilst drinking fermented vegetable products and compete in acts of blissful stupidity. There was fighting, and farting. Then came snoring and waking to fight some more. And, he thought again, there was good meat to eat.

ROK LIKE INSIDE his grumbling mental transmission burst loudly to all minds nearby. The bear had a crudely powerful mind that seemed unable to grasp any volume levels between silent and SHOUTING. Complaint done, he follows the others nonetheless.
Augur wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:35 pm One of the big bulls blocking your way from leaving the courtyard takes a step forward threateningly, "You'd best find another gig. The chairmasters don't need anyone else causing them problems." To Irok and Quetzal this seems a reasonable request, though oddly paired with an aggressive tone. To the others of you present, this clearly is a threat to encourage you to stop investigating...and it's pretty clear that the bulls, at least this one speaking, don't fully know what they're talking about given the creative interpretation of the name they dropped. One of the bulls behind the lot of you hollers out, "I dink dey're a bit slow 'twixt deir ears. What say we smash 'em just da make sure dey learn da lesson?"
YOU TALK FUNNY he thinks to the talky bull, clearly undisturbed or uncomprehending by the implied threat of violence.
Jesper wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:43 pm “Good evening, friends!” Jesper greets them in a light tone, focusing his attention primarily on the first bull to speak up. “Someone was just buying a round in the hall. You might hurry if you wish to partake in a free drink.” With his free hand, Jes gestures to the door. “I’ve had quite enough,” he adds. “And I don’t want to trouble your Chairmasters, so we’ll be on our way.” (Invoke Trust)
Irok makes a noise, a strangled snort of shock. WHY YOU NOT SAY?! he shouts to all, but glares at his rabbit friend. I ROK LOVE FREE DRINK! He looks about to the others, and also the bulls, not comprehending why they weren't all running like mad squirrels for the guildhall. WHY FRIENDS SO SLOW? he wonders. On an impulse, he decides it was time to make one of his suggestions. He always had a knack for getting his way, and Irok was sure it was his cleverness with words that did the trick.

Turning his great lumbering head to the head bull, the bear looks him dead in the eye. YOU WANT DRINK. I ROK WANT DRINK. BORING TALK LATER. GO DRINK NOW. DRINK GOOD. Irok's psionic hypnotic suggestion is first aimed at the head bull, then any other bull looking at him. He thinks to clarify, incase the bulls are stupid or something. FREE DRINK GOOD. GO DRINK BIG.

Contingency 1: peace
If the bulls depart, the bear will make a deep satisfied noise at the back of his throat, and wait expectantly for his friends to also return to the guildhall for some serious drinking.

Contingency 2: fight!
If the bulls refuse to leave, Irok will quickly move to place himself between the bull and his friends. I ROK FIRST! I ROK LOVE LESSONS! his mind beams happily at them.
OOC Comments
No mention of the bulls carrying weapons. Assuming they're unarmed and so Irok will not draw his little sword. Instead, being unarmed, he thinks they just want a little wrestle. If they use weapons, Irok takes an action to likewise draw his, and if they swing at his friends, he gets angry.
During the “lesson” Irok uses Telepathic Listening to listen to his bully teacher’s thoughts. Irok wants to know if he is learning properly or not.

Actions (5): Irok plays a lesson learning game with his new bull friends
Initiative: 1d20: [3] = 3
Action 1: Punch: 1d20+6: [8]+6 = 14 , Damage: 6d6+21: [1, 5, 1, 3, 1, 4]+21 = 36
Action 2: Punch: 1d20+6: [15]+6 = 21 , Damage: 6d6+21: [1, 6, 1, 5, 3, 2]+21 = 39
Action 3: Punch: 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 , Damage: 6d6+21: [5, 3, 4, 1, 3, 3]+21 = 40
Action 4: Punch: 1d20+6: [16]+6 = 22 , Damage: 6d6+21: [4, 5, 4, 2, 6, 1]+21 = 43
Action 5: Punch: 1d20+6: [15]+6 = 21 , Damage: 6d6+21: [3, 4, 5, 1, 1, 6]+21 = 41

Parries:
1d20: [11] = 11 +8
1d20: [10] = 10 +8
1d20: [7] = 7 +8
1d20: [12] = 12 +8
1d20: [14] = 14 +8
Last edited by Irok on Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Kaster »

Percep 20% / 30% in darkness: 1d100: [32] = 32
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 1d100: [61] = 61

Conditions: None

Stepping from the Guild Hall, Thistle continues retelling some new joke he heard while they were carousing, badly, "... and then she said, those weren't wings, those were fins!" He gives a laugh at the remembered punchline, to which he obviously spoiled when the first set of bulls step into the light.
Quartet of Hamburger wrote:"You'd best find another gig. The chairmasters don't need anyone else causing them problems."

"I dink dey're a bit slow 'twixt deir ears. What say we smash 'em just da make sure dey learn da lesson?"
Thistle turns to look behind them when second pair steps out and one of them speaks. Really. Teach us a lesson. Should we teach them a lesson my dear Saffron? Thistle lays a hand on the hilt of his sheathed sword and gives the brute a smile filled with small pointy sharp teeth. However, he holds his tongue for the moment as Jesper attempts to convince the bulls the a lesson will be unnecessary. Then he squints a bit as Irok backs Jesper up with his delicate mental lilt.

When/if it all goes to hell, Thistle pushes Saffron loose with his thumb, exposing an inch or two of blade as he moves toward the bull one the party's left rear. Not wishing to kill anyone, or deal with the King's Guard for doing so, Thistle keeps his swings low aiming only to hit the brute's legs and impede them so that the group might have an opening to flee. Killing in the city is such a pain. The King's Guard never quite believe it when you say it was self defense, especially when there are no other witnesses.

Init: 1d20: [14] = 14
Attacks: 4
1. Strike leg: 1d20: [16] = 16 Dmg: 2d4: [2, 4] = 6
2. Strike leg: 1d20: [8] = 8 Dmg: 2d4: [3, 4] = 7
3. Strike leg: 1d20: [5] = 5 Dmg: 2d4: [3, 1] = 4
4. Strike leg: 1d20: [19] = 19 Dmg: 2d4: [4, 3] = 7

Parry/Dodge if needed: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8
Last edited by Kaster on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Percep 1d100: [45] = 45 / 15%
JIC: 1d100: [76] = 76 / 1d20: [7] = 7

Quetzal listens to the cows as they talk.

I didn't care about this thing until you told me not to do it. Now I want to find out everything about the Chairmasters.

He tilts his head to look at Ariana, while keeping the cows in his field of vision. "Prey?" The 'p' is barely pronounced and the 'r' comes out like a gurgling.

Assuming Ariana either responds in the positive that these are prey or combat pops off, Quetzal tries to keep things quiet at first. It's two on five, after all!

Initiative: 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9

COMBAT STRATEGY: Quetzal's going to try to talk this down, even if things go 'bad.' Let's get as many of these idiots handled as possible. However, if someone actually connects, he becomes a full-time cowpuncher.

Action 1: Move to cow to NW. Hypnotic Suggestion: "Sit there" and points at corner to far NW of courtyard.
Action 2: Move to next cow. Hypnotic Suggestion: "Go home. Now." Otherwise Strike: 1d20+3: [10]+3 = 13 / Damage: 1d20+11: [13]+11 = 24
Action 3: Move to next cow. Hypnotic Suggestion: "Go home. Now." Otherwise Strike: 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11 / Damage: 1d20+11: [9]+11 = 20
Action 4: Move to next cow. Hypnotic Suggestion: "Go home. Now." Otherwise Strike: 1d20+3: [5]+3 = 8 / Damage: 1d20+11: [5]+11 = 16
Action 5:Move to next cow. Hypnotic Suggestion: "Go home. Now." Otherwise Strike: 1d20+3: [7]+3 = 10 / Damage: 1d20+11: [19]+11 = 30

Parries: 1d20+5: [19]+5 = 24 , 1d20+5: [11]+5 = 16 , 1d20+5: [7]+5 = 12 , 1d20+5: [5]+5 = 10 , 1d20+5: [2]+5 = 7
User avatar
Auriana Firetail
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:31 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Auriana Firetail »

Perception 64% (54% base, +10% at night): 1d100: [76] = 76
JIC d20: 1d20: [14] = 14
JIC d100: 1d100: [44] = 44

Conditions: None
Thistle wrote:Thistle continues retelling some new joke he heard while they were carousing, badly, "... and then she said, those weren't wings, those were fins!" He gives a laugh at the remembered punchline
Auriana giggles along with the marten, but quickly comes to a stop when the bulls step out from the guildhall, one large ear rotating at the sounds of their movements. A glance back at them, before looking to the one up front speaking out.
Bulls wrote:"You'd best find another gig. The chairmasters don't need anyone else causing them problems." (snip) One of the bulls behind the lot of you hollers out, "I dink dey're a bit slow 'twixt deir ears. What say we smash 'em just da make sure dey learn da lesson?"
Auri has to bite her lip to keep from snickering at the last comment, perhaps feeling a little on the superior-side to the four hulking slabs of beef. As Jesper greets them, the human-like fox half-turns to once more keep the two in the rear in view, one hand straying to settle on the grip of her machete. 'Let's see if we can get out of this without shedding blood,' she things to herself, but steeling for the worst.
Jesper wrote:“Good evening, friends!” Jesper greets them in a light tone, focusing his attention primarily on the first bull to speak up. “Someone was just buying a round in the hall. You might hurry if you wish to partake in a free drink.” With his free hand, Jes gestures to the door. “I’ve had quite enough,” he adds. “And I don’t want to trouble your...Chairmasters, so we’ll be on our way.”
Irok's follow-up mental 'shouts' has Auri wincing a little bit, free hand coming up to rub the back of her head slowly while shooting a brief glare towards the bear. "I don't think that is what he meant, Irok," she growls softly to her ursine companion. "And please keep the volume down!"
Quetzal wrote:He tilts his head to look at Ariana, while keeping the cows in his field of vision. "Prey?" The 'p' is barely pronounced and the 'r' comes out like a gurgling.
The question draws a surprised look from the fox, shifting her attention to the unnaturally massive hummingbird. "Ahh, maybe," Auri returns in low voice, hoping that it won't carry past their little cluster of companions. "I suppose we'll find out in a moment," she adds, hoping that Jesper can talk them down.


Combat Strategy: If it comes to blows, Auriana will spend the first full combat round on the defensive, hoping to gauge their foes capabilities and perhaps weaknesses, either via simple observation of methods and results, or a skill if there is one appropriate. As someone who prefers ranged combat to melee, she will also attempt to move out of direct melee range, preferably onto some higher terrain such as a stack of boxes or barrels, or even the roof is possible. If this isn't possible she'll resort to drawing her machete.

Combat rolls
APM: 5
Initiative 1d20+0: 1d20: [20] = 20

Note: The Parry/Dodge modifier is +4, but I accidentally rolled +5 for the first 2. Just subtract 1 pt from each roll please!
Action #1: Parry/Dodge (Dodge preferred) 1d20+4
1d20+5: [15]+5 = 20

Action #2: Parry/Dodge (Dodge preferred) 1d20+4
1d20+5: [10]+5 = 15

Action #3: Parry/Dodge (Dodge preferred) 1d20+4
1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7

Action #4: Parry/Dodge (Dodge preferred) 1d20+4
1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9

Action #5: Parry/Dodge (Dodge preferred) 1d20+4
1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15
Climb roll added by GM request
Climb 64%: 1d100: [28] = 28
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 1st, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Kingsalter
Environment: Urban, Night

Scene Audio

Auriana notes that these bulls are obvious simpletons without any real finesse to their movements or thoughtfulness behind their actions. They're brutes, and quite clearly relish their role as bruisers. She dances her way past the others as the fighting starts, moving to the stacked crates and barrels in the Northeast corner and using them to quickly access the roof with a few graceful leaps.

As the brutes close their "trap," Thistle yanks free his sword and, not wanting to deal with the King's Guard, as the brutes begin swinging on himself and his friends, he manages to slip in and out with a bit of alacrity--the bulls are faster than one might think to look at them!--and slash one of the brutes' kneecaps.

Quetzl sweeps across the courtyard, passing Irok and noting the lothe movements of Auriana slipping out of the combat box. The big bull stepping forward is nearly as big as the mutant Hummingbird. He tries to whistle out a command to the big, stupid bull, but the words don't form right and the bull doesn't even pause, but swings a series of clumsy haymakers at Quetzl. The strange bird is much better at evading the blows than he is at landing his own, and so the two big pugilists make each other look well-matched.

The bulls blocking their way rush in at Waylin and Irok from the Southeast. Irok's mental discourse seems lost on the thugs who don't respond. Much like Quetzl and his own opponent, Waylin and his opponent block a lot of blows, but don't manage to land anything more than some glancing shots. Irok, on the other hand, gets soundly pummeled by the bull facing him, but dishes out even more brutally than he receives. It's no dance with Irok, but a slugfest, and the look of shocked concern on the bloody face of the bull trading blows with him shows that he is suddenly realizing that he's bitten off more cud than he can chew. He calls out in alarm to his mates, "Help! The bear is too strong!" One of the bulls from the West side stops being cagey on the outside of the fight, and steps in to help.

Sensing the dangerous situation, Jesper draws his sword, dances to one side to avoid being crushed by an onrushing bull, is nearly crushed when Irok takes a mighty step back to swing a huge paw forward, and slips through the melee to the Eastern side of the courtyard. Jesper winks out of the perceptual awareness of Quetzl, Waylin, and presumably the bulls as none move to intercept him. Noting how Irok hands his paws full, Jesper slips in a stabs the back of the right thigh of one of the bulls fighting the bear, causing it to swat down reflexively at the lancing pain...giving Irok an opening which he exploits with a vicious uppercut that nearly sends the bull bodily atop Jesper. The bull lay there bleeding and very clearly unconscious.

What are your intentions?
Maps.jpg
Butcher's Bill
Auriana:
Irok: -39 S.D.C.
Jesper:
Quetzalcoatl:
Thistle:
Waylin:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [64] = 64 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5 / 1d100: [59] = 59
Conditions: Invisible Haze
Skills: Ventriloquism 1d100: [53] = 53 / 16%
Invoke Intimidation: 1d100: [3] = 3 / 60%
Ventriloquism 1d100: [45] = 45 / 16%

Kingsalter, Outside of the Adventurer’s Guild

Feeling confident whilst wrapped in an invisible haze, Jesper calls out to their bovine attackers. “Surely ale is better than blood?!” He attempts to throw his voice across the courtyard to confuse the bulls. (Ventriloquism) In case it doesn't work, Jesper keeps his head on a swivel, watching the bulls closely. Wouldn’t do to get trampled. “Stand down and let us go about our way!” (Invoke Intimidation, Ventriloquism) Jes keeps his sword at the ready, just in case the bulls continue to display their lack of good sense.

If the bulls continue the attack, Jesper will attempt to drop them to their knees…
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: [20] = 20 +1
1. Attacks the bull with his sword: Strike: 1d20: [10] = 10 +2, Damage: 2d4: [4, 3] = 7 +3
2. Attacks the bull with his sword: Strike: 1d20: [11] = 11 +2, Damage: 2d4: [3, 2] = 5 +3
3. Attacks the bull with his sword: Strike: 1d20: [18] = 18 +2, Damage: 2d4: [1, 4] = 5 +3
4. Reserved for Dodge: 1d20: [18] = 18 +1

Parries (just in case):
1d20: [7] = 7 -1
1d20: [20] = 20 -1
1d20: [15] = 15 -1
1d20: [10] = 10 -1

If the bulls surrender, Jesper will urge his friends to leave as quickly as possible.
Last edited by Jesper on Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [74] = 74
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [18] = 18
Augur wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:25 pm Irok, on the other hand, gets soundly pummeled by the bull facing him, but dishes out even more brutally than he receives. It's no dance with Irok, but a slugfest, and the look of shocked concern on the bloody face of the bull trading blows with him shows that he is suddenly realizing that he's bitten off more cud than he can chew. He calls out in alarm to his mates, "Help! The bear is too strong!"
HAW HAW HAW HAW ROK LOVE LESSONS! HAW HAW HAW The bear's mental laughter is directed at his playmate as they trade vicious blows. It is a meaningless cackle repeated over and over again.
Augur wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:25 pm Sensing the dangerous situation, Jesper draws his sword, dances to one side to avoid being crushed by an onrushing bull, is nearly crushed when Irok takes a mighty step back to swing a huge paw forward, and slips through the melee to the Eastern side of the courtyard. Jesper winks out of the perceptual awareness of Quetzl, Waylin, and presumably the bulls as none move to intercept him. Noting how Irok hands his paws full, Jesper slips in a stabs the back of the right thigh of one of the bulls fighting the bear, causing it to swat down reflexively at the lancing pain...giving Irok an opening which he exploits with a vicious uppercut that nearly sends the bull bodily atop Jesper. The bull lay there bleeding and very clearly unconscious.
The bear is too busy to spare much of his limited mental capacity thinking of his friends. Faintly, he hopes the bulls were distracted enough by his noise to focus on him. If Irok sees through the bunny's invisibility, a surge of happiness courses through him as he sees Jesper creep behind the bull and stick it with his pointy weapon. As the bear swings his concluding uppercut he thinks GOOD BUNNY NOT HURT.

Irok bares his teeth at the second bull and snorts harshly. MY TURN? He rushes his opponent with a mighty roar.

Actions (5):
Initiative: 1d20: [18] = 18

Action 1: Tackle: 1d20+6: [16]+6 = 22 , Damage: 1d4+21: [2]+21 = 23 + knockdown perhaps
Action 2: Grab bull by the horns: 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7
Action 3: Throw the bull southwest as high and hard as possible: 1d20+6: [2]+6 = 8 (Possibly another +1 from W.P. Targeting?), Damage: gravity + 21 (P.S.) ?
Action 4: Punch some bull: 1d20+6: [13]+6 = 19 , Damage: 6d6+21: [2, 5, 1, 6, 4, 4]+21 = 43
Action 5: Reserved for Dodge: 1d20+8: [17]+8 = 25 If successful; HAW HAW ROK DODGE

Parries:
1d20+8: [18]+8 = 26
1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15
1d20+8: [4]+8 = 12
1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18
1d20+8: [18]+8 = 26
OOC Comments
Not entirely sure how a smash, grab and throw ought to work. The dice all went critical fail anyhow, so they clearly don't know either :D For future reference would be neat to know.
Dice rolls
1d20: [4] = 4
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Perception: 1d100: [78] = 78
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 / 1d100: [39] = 39

Having determined that the cows are, indeed, prey, Quetzal raises his head to the sky and lets loose a shrieking battle cry.

Why are they even attacking us? There were many jobs on that board. Idiots.

Initiative: 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5

COMBAT STRATEGY: Quetzal's going to kick this cow until it falls unconscious or leaves, then move to the next one. If they respond positively to Jesper, he stops attacking. If Auriana looks like she's having trouble, he moves to help her once his opponent is handled, otherwise he tries to take the pressure off Irok.

Action 1: Strike: 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4 / Damage: 1d4+11: [1]+11 = 12
Action 2: Strike: 1d20+3: [15]+3 = 18 / Damage: 1d4+11: [1]+11 = 12
Action 3: Strike: 1d20+3: [20]+3 = 23 / Damage: 1d4+11: [1]+11 = 12 (Knockout Blow from Boxing skill)
Action 4: Strike: 1d20+3: [13]+3 = 16 / Damage: 1d4+11: [1]+11 = 12
Action 5: 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11 Strike: / Damage: 1d4+11: [3]+11 = 14

Parries: 1d20+5: [13]+5 = 18 , 1d20+5: [12]+5 = 17 , 1d20+5: [18]+5 = 23 , 1d20+5: [14]+5 = 19 , 1d20+5: [3]+5 = 8
User avatar
Auriana Firetail
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:31 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Auriana Firetail »

Perception 64% (54% base, +10% at night) - 1d100: [94] = 94
JIC d20 - 1d20: [9] = 9
JIC d100 - 1d100: [19] = 19
Conditions: None

From her better vantage point on the roof Auriana takes in the battlefield - one bull surrounded by three of her companions, one bull facing off with the bird, and two on Irok; the bear looks like he's taken a hit so the fox decides to focus on helping him. Quickly drawing and stringing her bow, she sights on the bull that has been injured primarily, unleashing a pair of arrows at him in rapid succession - Auri knows her arrows won't hit nearly as hard as the bear's blows, but hopes it is enough to distract or down the already injured foe.

Regardless of the results of those two shots, the fox turns and fires two more, this time at the bull facing off with Quetzel if she can get a good bead on him, or alternately the second bull facing Irok - whichever of the two is least obscured by one of her companions bodies. Auriana remains relative silent through this, however she does keep an eye and ear out for possible enemy reinforcements, hoping the height advantage will give her advance warning of approach.

Combat Information
Initiative +0 - 1d20: [3] = 3
Actions per Melee: 5

Action 1: Draw and string bow

Action 2: Fire at Bull with 3 blood-icons with war arrow
Strike +5 - 1d20: [20] = 20
(I forgot to add the bonus in the die roll, so add +5 to above roll please)
Damage 2d6+3 - 2d6+3: [4, 3]+3 = 10

Action 3: Fire at Bull with 3 blood-icons with war arrow
Strike +5 - 1d20+5: [20]+5 = 25
Damage 2d6+3 - 2d6+3: [5, 2]+3 = 10

Action 4: Fire at (Bull fighting Quetzel or second bull fighting Irok, whichever is least concealed)
Strike +5 - 1d20+5: [20]+5 = 25
Damage 2d6+3 - 2d6+3: [6, 5]+3 = 14

Action 5: Fire at (Bull fighting Quetzel or second bull fighting Irok, whichever is least concealed)
Strike +5 - 1d20+5: [20]+5 = 25
Damage 2d6+3 - 2d6+3: [5, 4]+3 = 12
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Kaster »

Percep 20% / 30% in darkness: 1d100: [89] = 89
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 1d100: [74] = 74

Conditions: None

Thistle continues in his efforts to hobble the Bull. Well, I'd expected the brutes to be strong, but there a might faster than i imagined too. Strike and move, strike and move. Don't let one of these monsters catch you. He continues to lash out with his sword at the Bull, hoping to deal a wound that will incapacitate the bull. Grinning crookedly, Thistle taunts the bull, just a little, "Saffron has tasted your blood and is thirsty for more." He brandishes his sword a little to show off the markings of his first strike, then whips out the blade for another attempt.


Init: 1d20
Attacks: 4
1. Strike leg: 1d20: [12] = 12 Dmg: 2d4: [4, 2] = 6
2. Strike leg: 1d20: [1] = 1 Dmg: 2d4: [4, 2] = 6
3. Strike leg: 1d20: [15] = 15 Dmg: 2d4: [4, 4] = 8
4. Strike leg: 1d20: [20] = 20 Dmg: 2d4: [4, 4] = 8 x2=16

Parry/Dodge if needed: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11 , 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 1st, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Kingsalter
Environment: Urban, Night

Scene Audio
(I'll get an updated map posted tomorrow!)

On the far side of the melee, a strange, ululating shriek pierces the night. In the most anti-climatic moment to ever follow a battlecry, Quetzl manages to get his belt caught on the horns of the bull he's been trying to fight, only to have the bull react in panic and rush around in what must look to an objective observer like some sort of bizarre acrobatic performance. An arrow skewers one of the bull's hands and he lets out a shriek of pain and shock. The massive hummingbird flutters madly around the head of the bull with the bull alternatively punching and slapping at him wildly while stumbling across the open yard until a stray kick catches the bull just to one side of his chin, and he falls to the stone pavement with a meaty slap unconscious. Quetzl manages to gracelessly extract his enormous girth from the tangle of horn and belt and flutter back to cognizance of the situation.

In the center of the melee, Irok still cannot see where Jesper went off to, but bares his teeth, snorts, and rushes his opponent with a mighty roar. The bull turns to run but is tackled from behind by Irok, clumsily seized and pawed at, and loses his grip on the bull as it kicks and thrashes its way to freedom from a decidedly unfriendly bear-hug, and runs pell-mell from the alley, fleeing to the southeast and away from the courtyard.

Jesper, ever persistent like the folk of his kind, tries yet again to persuade these bovines down a less violent path, but only the bull betwixt himself and Thistle seems of sound enough mind to recognize the value of discretion. Jesper slashes him across his hip with a quick, darting thrust of his sword to urge him along his way. Waylin slaps aside a clumsy, backpedaling swing from the bull who draws a sharpened iron stake from his belt as he's backing away. Thistle follows Jesper's lead and slashes across the Bull's hips at his other side. A sudden, thin whistle snaps through the melee, and an arrow suddenly shows itself protruding from the backside of the bull's neck, missing all the incredibly delicate arteries, esophageal track, and windpipe, but startling the bull clear out of his senses. He turns in place on one foot, but his blood on the ground causes him to slip even as Jesper nicks him with his blade one last time. One of the bull's knee goes out as Auriana's next arrow skewers it right where Jesper's blade had drawn blood. It's at that time that, in a moment of tragically poor timing, Thistle stabs in once more with his own weapon, quipping, "Saffron has tasted your blood and is thirsty"...only to be skewered through the throat by the sharpened iron of the bull as it falls with its full weight upon Thistle. He thrashes for a few moments, but as he's losing so much blood so quickly, it's only moments before his furry appendages stop thrashing under the mass of the fallen bull, and he lies quiet and still as the grave.


What are your intentions?
Butcher's Bill
Auriana: -4 war arrows
Irok: -39 S.D.C.
Jesper:
Quetzalcoatl: -16 S.D.C.
Thistle: DEAD
Waylin:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [10] = 10 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [6] = 6
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:

Kingsalter, Outside of the Adventurer’s Guild

“No…!” Jesper breathes as Thistle falls. Jes returns to view, appearing nearby where the bull and his friend lay dead. Pain, confusion and anger are written all over his features. He scowls at the bull. “You stupid beast!” Jes hisses at him, resisting the urge to kick the dead. Looking up at Irok, he instructs the bear to, “Quick! Move this one!”

Assuming Irok is able to roll the bull off of Thistle, Jesper will rush to the marten’s side. He looks over his friend, but knows that he’s already gone. I'm so sorry... He takes Saffron. “I’ll look after her,” Jes assures Thistle. Then he starts to wrap the marten in his cloak. Looking back up at Irok, Jesper asks him, “Can you carry him?” To the group as a whole, he adds, “We'll mourn later. We need to get out of here. The guard will likely arrive soon.”

If Irok runs off, Jesper will ask Quetzal to move the bull out of his way. And if the humming bird cannot help, Jesper will attempt to move the bull himself, but only enough to retrieve Saffron from Thistle's lifeless form. Jesper will not stick around long to wait for the king's guard. If he senses they are out of time, he will fade from view again and likely leave the courtyard and friends. He'd rather not leave Thistle behind as they were all recently seen together in the guildhall.
Last edited by Jesper on Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Percep 1d100: [4] = 4 / 15%
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [82] = 82

Talkies: 1d100: [12] = 12 / 44%

"Where?" Quetzal says, hopping onto the unconscious cow. It comes out as 'hhhAir?'

He cocks his head to the side.

They're lucky only this many died. It was time for inside tickles. You killed a vassal, cretins.

Jesper wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:02 pm “We'll mourn later. We need to get out of here. The guard will likely arrive soon.”
"Hsssssaaad!"

He lowers his head and tries to look sad.
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [72] = 72
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [59] = 59
Augur wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:59 pm In the center of the melee, Irok still cannot see where Jesper went off to, but bares his teeth, snorts, and rushes his opponent with a mighty roar. The bull turns to run but is tackled from behind by Irok, clumsily seized and pawed at, and loses his grip on the bull as it kicks and thrashes its way to freedom from a decidedly unfriendly bear-hug, and runs pell-mell from the alley, fleeing to the southeast and away from the courtyard.
Snarling, the bear tenses and crouches low, staring wide-eyed at the fleeing bull with a dreadful kind of eagerness. ROK WANT LESSON!! It was a strange thing for this group of bulls to come at Irok. As if he were prey? Now this bull was running, and the bear suddenly found himself playing a familiar game; catch and kill. It was how things should be. THIS GOOD LESSON. IROK KNOW WHAT NEXT. What a relief these moments were. Amid all the complicated plannings and plottings of his friends, often far beyond his understanding, moments like this came when he understood exactly what to do. He would crush this bull. When they woke up, he would have to thank the bulls for the lesson reminding him of what was best in life.

The bear leaps forward.
OOC Comments
Max. Jumping Ability: 54ft long, 27 ft high. Speed: 56
Irok doubts he will kill the bull. He was not angry about anything. The chase is what matters and his mind surges with a predator's happiness. Like so many Folk cursed with complicated brains, his 'Uncles' and 'Aunties' of the King's Guard complicated everything. They always told him not to kill; and he had a simple fierce love for them as they had raised him since he was a cub. Vaguely, he thought to catch this bull and bring it to the King's Guard as a trophy. They never liked troublemakers in the city, and these silly bulls were definitely making trouble. Irok expected a few fish as a reward. FISH GOOD

If the bull is in sight Irok seeks to pounce on him and continue pummeling it.
If the bull turns a corner, Irok will pursue with all the terrible speed available to him. He does not think it will be a long chase.
If the bull has somehow vanished like a ninja, Irok will turn his attention to the party and learn what has happened. This will certainly change his mood and will be covered in a follow up post.

Assuming that there is another round of conflict, attacks rolls are here:

Actions (5):
Initiative: 1d20: [16] = 16
Action 1: Punch: 1d20+6: [19]+6 = 25 , Damage: 6d6+21: [1, 4, 3, 6, 2, 1]+21 = 38
Action 2: Punch: 1d20+6: [19]+6 = 25 , Damage: 6d6+21: [6, 6, 2, 1, 1, 5]+21 = 42
Action 3: Punch: 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 , Damage: 6d6+21: [2, 3, 1, 1, 6, 2]+21 = 36
Action 4: Punch: 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 , Damage: 6d6+21: [3, 2, 6, 2, 5, 5]+21 = 44
Action 5: Reserved for Dodge: 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22

Parries:
1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19
1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22
1d20+8: [12]+8 = 20
1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27
1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22

If the bull is knocked out, he shall pick it up and quickly return to his friends. He is totally unaware of the tragedy that has unfolded there.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

OOC Comments
GM Mini-Update

Irok takes off in pursuit of the one bull quick enough on his toes & between his ears to turn tail and run mid-fight. The rest of the bulls are still, either dead or unconscious, and all bleeding and battered.

Skill Challenge
Success Conditions: 4 Successes necessary before 3 failures recorded. (Combat posts for anyone who wishes to take part.)
Modifiers: None. This is a fairly straightforward skill challenge of a reasonably easy difficulty.

The Situation
Irok is moderately injured, but in pursuit.
Waylin is in a semi-coherent daze & unable to give pursuit.
Quetzalcoatl is only lightly injured from the fracas, and keenly aware of his surroundings.
Jesper is overcome with grief at the loss of his friend to such a stupid & unnecessary accident, but aware of the situation.
Auriana would be unaware of the situation but for her vantage point.
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

ROLLS HELD

Quetzal cocks his head at Irok as he leaves. "RrrrOK!"

Go forth, stout fellow and pursue the prey! Good hunting to you!

He then, once again, nudges the unconscious cow and looks to Auriana, cocking his head quizzically.

What secrets do you hold, dum-dum?

If no one answers him, Quetzal grabs the unconscious cow and carries it to Auriana's or Irok's house, whichever is more private.
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [13] = 13

Irok bounds across the courtyard, snarling and slavering with a kind of mindless hungry eagerness. Strangely there is no clatter of bear claws on the cobblestones; the bear runs atop the cool night air a few inches above the path. For those blessed with power, there were advantages in being too stupid to understand gravitation and physics. E EQUAL M SEE BEAR! ROK FLY!

As he silently hurtles by, his altitude increases enough that he runs over obstacles that litter the poorly lit streets. Obstacles that would hinder folk making haste through the night. Folk like the fleeing bull. ROK PLAY CATCH!

He keeps his baleful eyes fixed on the bull should it come into view.

Gone was the confusion that often filled him as he heard the overcomplicated plans of his mind-cursed friends. A dreadful joy filled him during the pursuit. He reveled in it, luxuriated in it. As, frankly, intelligent folk are often dreadfully boring, fascinated only by dreadfully boring things. Still, Irok always tried his best to be tolerant and accepting. There was much to pity.

For a moment he was tempted to ponder this more deeply but then he would be falling into the same trap, he would be missing what was best in life; he had a bull to smash.

Onward!
If the bull escapes despite Irok's speed, prowess and proximity to the bull when it initially fled he will simply return to the courtyard.

If Irok catches the bull, combat posts were already previously posted.

If he has to make some kind of skill check here are a few for your entertainment:

Perception: 1d100<=8: [57] = 0 <-- Does Irok even know his Otter friend is dead? He's been a little busy.
Intimidate: 1d100<=25: [5*] = 1 <-- Is the bull intimidated by the sound of a battle maddened ursine death machine somewhere behind him?
Prowl: 1d100<=40: [34*] = 1 <-- Once the chase gets serious Irok quietens down, but is running on air silent enough that the prey thinks it escaped?
Streetwise: 1d100<=24: [72] = 0 <-- Does Irok have any idea where the bull is headed? Does he really care?

Oh and why not:
Whittling: 1d100<=35: [16*] = 1 <-- Is whittling like a hot pursuit through the streets? To the intelligent folk perhaps not, but to an imbecile it may be so. For to shape wood you must follow the grain, cut away bits to reveal what the wood was hiding. To catch a bull running through the streets, one must also follow the grain... or the path... whatever... and cut out from your mind the twists and turns that don't matter.
OOC Comments
Skill challenge rules in this situation are still unclear despite attempts to get some clarification. After waiting for days with no clear example to follow I can only shrug and move on. :D Over to you!
Last edited by Irok on Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:06 am, edited 10 times in total.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 1st, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Kingsalter
Environment: Urban, Night

The Group wrote:Jesper will attempt to move the bull himself, but only enough to retrieve Saffron from Thistle's lifeless form. Jesper will not stick around long to wait for the king's guard. If he senses they are out of time, he will fade from view again and likely leave the courtyard and friends. He'd rather not leave Thistle behind as they were all recently seen together in the guildhall. Quetzal grabs the unconscious cow and carries it to Auriana's or Irok's house, whichever is more private. If the bull is in sight Irok seeks to pounce on him and continue pummeling it. If the bull turns a corner, Irok will pursue with all the terrible speed available to him. He does not think it will be a long chase.
Waylin heads back inside the Adventurer's Guild Hall figuring the unexpected route to be the safer. Jesper, not receiving any help from Quetzal, gets enough of the bull atop Thistle out of the way to seize and free Saffron before fleeing into the shadows of the night. Auriana follows suit via rooftop escape. Quetzal finds the unconscious bull's bulk to be too great to carry, and so flies off somewhat dejected at the bulky mammal's girth having foiled his intentions. Irok quickly catches up to the bull after a few blocks of blind twists and turns, pounces on him, and mauls him to death in quick order. It's quick, easy, and brutal. Now covered in blood, Irok finds himself a few blocks away from the Adventurer's Guild Hall alone and literally in the dark. The sounds of clanking armor and shod hooves marching in a timely, but disciplined manner speaks of the approach of the Kings Guard, and so even the simple Irok knows well enough to make himself scarce.

Being a bunch of transients, rogues, and ne'er-do-wells, the members of this strange posse have no homes to call their own, but rather find lodging at the Dog Arms Inn where Radjack Flattooth keeps a handful of clean rooms furnished for sleep available for a reasonable price. It's on the Northeast outskirts of town providing ready access to the King's road, and so one must make their way across half the breadth of the town to get there from the Adventurer's Guild Hall. Auriana and Jesper find this a simple task requiring only some measure of stealth. Quetzal simply flies there. Irok finally makes his way there after a much longer and more careful route designed to avoid being seen by anyone for any reason.

A few hours later the night is truly dark, and Quetzal, Auriana, and Jesper find themselves gathered outside the stables of the Dog Arms Inn discussing the event when they hear a low, baying sound coming from the shadows across the well-lit street. It's Irok, covered in dried, matted blood, trying to stay out of sight. There's been no word from Waylin at all.

What are your intentions?
Butcher's Bill
Auriana: -4 war arrows
Irok: -39 S.D.C.
Jesper:
Quetzalcoatl: -16 S.D.C.
Thistle: DEAD
Waylin:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [48] = 48
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [14] = 14
Irok wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:12 pm Irok doubts he will kill the bull. He was not angry about anything. The chase is what matters and his mind surges with a predator's happiness. Like so many Folk cursed with complicated brains, his 'Uncles' and 'Aunties' of the King's Guard complicated everything. They always told him not to kill; and he had a simple fierce love for them as they had raised him since he was a cub. Vaguely, he thought to catch this bull and bring it to the King's Guard as a trophy. They never liked troublemakers in the city, and these silly bulls were definitely making trouble. Irok expected a few fish as a reward. FISH GOOD

...

If the bull is knocked out, he shall pick it up and quickly return to his friends. He is totally unaware of the tragedy that has unfolded there.
Augur wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:15 am Irok quickly catches up to the bull after a few blocks of blind twists and turns, pounces on him, and mauls him to death in quick order. It's quick, easy, and brutal. Now covered in blood, Irok finds himself a few blocks away from the Adventurer's Guild Hall alone and literally in the dark. The sounds of clanking armor and shod hooves marching in a timely, but disciplined manner speaks of the approach of the Kings Guard, and so even the simple Irok knows well enough to make himself scarce.
A confused blur of thoughts welled up in Irok's mind. He had wanted to knock the bull out and carry it to the King's Guard as a trophy. Not kill anything. It was just a lesson after all; a bit of fun. Now the bull was mauled to death and he was on the run from the very guards he called family. ROK CONFUSED
Augur wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:15 am A few hours later the night is truly dark, and Quetzal, Auriana, and Jesper find themselves gathered outside the stables of the Dog Arms Inn discussing the event when they hear a low, baying sound coming from the shadows across the well-lit street. It's Irok, covered in dried, matted blood, trying to stay out of sight. There's been no word from Waylin at all.

Rather than being back at the buildings of the King's Guard, enjoying a warm fire and fresh fish, he finds himself at the outskirts of town. He's not entirely sure how he got here of all places. Worse, he knows what happened but certainly not how. It is an odd feeling, and one not entirely to Irok's liking. He wonders about the baying sound; is that him or someone else? At this point nothing would surprise him.

Why would he have mauled the bull at all? He didn't really have the teeth for the job, and eating Folk was not the sort of thing he'd do anyway. On one paw he certainly hoped he traveled through the air to reach this point, he knew enough of tracking to avoid being followed by the King's Guard, but on the other paw he certainly wouldn't mind seeing his friends in the guard right now, as clearly he's not in control of himself.

Why would he have even fled on hearing the King's Guard approach anyway? They were family and he loved them. Nothing made sense.

ROK CAUGHT BULL. It is all he manages to say.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [88] = 88 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 / 1d100: [33] = 33
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:

Kingsalter, Outside of the Dog Arms Inn

“The Guard surely has him by now,” Jesper says in regards to Thistle. He keeps his voice low as they discuss the sad event. “I believe our friend had a fair amount of bucks about him. Perhaps they’ll give him a proper burial after they’ve robbed the dead.” One of Jesper’s hands rests upon Saffron. You were his greatest work…at least I could save you. He leans against the cool stone wall of the stable and sulks. Why couldn’t they have gone in for ale and leave us to go on our way?

When Irok finally catches up to them, Jesper snorts at the bloodied bear. “So the bulls were hired by the Chiromancers. They clearly don’t want us going after Harold the Palmist or following them to the Fallwood. I remember coming across the Hand of Vanth when I was a kit. Creepy sort of place. We ought to leave the city, so let's head into the Fallwood and find those bastards.” Eager to move on, Jesper pushes himself away from the wall and takes a few steps in the direction of the forest.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Percep 1d100: [56] = 56 / 15%
JIC: 1d20: [3] = 3 / 1d100: [6] = 6

Talkies: 1d100: [64] = 64 / 44%

Quetzal looks at Irok when he comes in, walks, over and puts a wing on him in a comforting way.

Then he licks the drying blood.

Quetzal tries to lead Irok over to the horsetrough and splashes the water at him.

"Waaaash!"

He looks at Jesper when Jesper does his monologue. Yes, the cows don't want us to do the thing, so we will do the thing. Perhaps this will avenge your friend. Is vengeance sweet, flopsy vassal?

Quetzal shakes his head in the negative.

"Daaaark!"
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

((Rolls held over))
Quetzalcoatl wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:45 pm "Daaaark!"
"Afraid of the dark?" Jesper asks, turning to look the giant hummingbird over. He can't imagine someone of Quetzal's size being afraid of anything. I suppose we all have our faults, he decides. Jesper turns around fully and says, "We can't go back into the city. In fact, we should put some distance between us and Kingsalter." His gaze briefly drifts to Irok. "And I'm not sure how long Harold has before he loses his hands. The Chiromancers have a head start. Fallwood is a few days from here. We can follow the King's Road tonight, and we have the stars to lead us." I hope... Jesper looks skyward, searching for familiar points of light.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

ROLLS HELD

Quetzal eyes up Jesper for a second. I can't fly in the dark if I can't see...

"Waaalk. Road," he nods, but doesn't look particularly happy about it.

Humiliating. At least once the sun comes up we can just go to Fallwood. Days my sweet tailfeathers. Ha!

He opens his mouth in a gesture that Jesper has come to recognize as Quetzal's version of laughter.

Then Quetzal gets together his meager possessions and prepares to leave.
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

((Rolls held over))
Quetzalcoatl wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:26 am "Waaalk. Road," he nods, but doesn't look particularly happy about it.
"Yes. Walk. With a running start, I may be able to leap a great distance, but I do not actually fly," Jesper replies to Quetzal with half a smile that sneaks past his grumpiness. "Rabbits prefer to keep their feet on solid ground." As the hummingbird gathers his things, Jesper turns his attention to everyone else gathered at the inn. He asks, "Anyone else have a better plan? Or shall we be on our way?"
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

((Rolls carried))
Quetzalcoatl wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:45 pm Quetzal looks at Irok when he comes in, walks, over and puts a wing on him in a comforting way.

Then he licks the drying blood.

Quetzal tries to lead Irok over to the horsetrough and splashes the water at him.

"Waaaash!"
Horses are not the only ones who can be led to water; Irok can too. The bear mutely follows Quetzal to the water. He quickly dunks he entire head into the horsetrough trying to clear his head along with his bloodstained shaggy fur. While underwater, he blows bubbles and furiously shakes his head clear. QUE GOOD HUMMER BIRD. He enjoys the cool water, but thought it might be cooler with fish.

Once clean, or as clean as can be, Irok shakes his fur dry and looks about.

Jesper wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:45 am "Yes. Walk. With a running start, I may be able to leap a great distance, but I do not actually fly," Jesper replies to Quetzal with half a smile that sneaks past his grumpiness. "Rabbits prefer to keep their feet on solid ground." As the hummingbird gathers his things, Jesper turns his attention to everyone else gathered at the inn. He asks, "Anyone else have a better plan? Or shall we be on our way?"
The bear blinks as an idea strikes him. RIDE ROK AND WE RUN ON AIR. He wondered whether a fox, a beaver, a bunny and a marten could all fit on his back. FLYING FURRY FAMILY? HA HA! He has this odd sense of something missing. He looks about again.

WHERE THISTLE? WHERE WAYLIN?
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

((Rolls held over))

Jesper shakes his head, just as uncomfortable with the idea of riding piggyback as he was with flying. "No, Irok. I'll walk. Feet on the ground. Thanks." When their missing companions are brought up, Jesper tells him, "Thistle is dead. Waylin didn't make his way back here. I believe I saw him go back into the guild hall."
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

((Rolls carried))
Jesper wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:59 pm ((Rolls held over))
Jesper shakes his head, just as uncomfortable with the idea of riding piggyback as he was with flying. "No, Irok. I'll walk. Feet on the ground. Thanks." When their missing companions are brought up, Jesper tells him, "Thistle is dead. Waylin didn't make his way back here. I believe I saw him go back into the guild hall."
DEAD? Irok projects the question doubtfully, looking suspiciously at the rabbit. For a time he stares out into the night, chewing on the thought. He shuffles on his feet uncomfortably before sending a concluding thought. NAW HE PLAY POSSUM. Shaking his head, he wonders why a marten would want to play a possum's game? There were many things he did not understand.

HE BE BACK. He states this with confidence, but also adds. I FIND HIM? Everyone seemed in a hurry now, so Irok wonders if he should shorten the little martens game.

Idly, he begins listening to the thoughts of those nearby in turn. Someone else had to be in on the joke, and folk playing hide and seek were always giving the game away with their thinkings. WHERE THISTLE HIDING? ROK FIND!
OOC Comments
Using Telepathic Listening psionic power to listen to surface thoughts to learn who is in on Thistle's game.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [31] = 31
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 1d100: [12] = 12

A clip clop can be heard coming out of the darkness. As the moments press on a small grinding sound can be heard along with it, like that of a wagon wheel turning on the paving stones. After a few move moment a figure pushes out of the darkness moving toward the stables. This figure resolves from dark to gray to a white-tanish fur covered goat of the Folk pulling a hand cart behind him. I took too long with my good by's and let mother feed me too well. Its late and I haven't even made it out of town yet. Time to grab some sleep, then in the morning, I can find a contract or some trade goods of my own, or maybe some passengers...

Clopping up the street toward the group gathered outside the stable, Kaster's eyes narrow as he draws near, "Jesper, is that you?!?" He calls out. Stopping just outside the stable he lowers the cart handles, letting the small wagon come to a rest. "It is you my good Folk. Funny running into you here." He looks over at the others gathered about and turns back to face Jesper, "You okay? "
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

((Rolls held over))
Irok wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:26 pm HE BE BACK. He states this with confidence, but also adds. I FIND HIM?
“No, Irok… You don't understand. Thistle’s not playing games. He's gone.” Jesper sighs deeply and pinches the bridge of his nose. You really are a rock, he thinks, wondering how he can better explain the situation for the bear. Jesper isn’t really given the time to sort it out; he hears a familiar voice.
Kaster wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:48 pm"Jesper, is that you?!?" He calls out. Stopping just outside the stable he lowers the cart handles, letting the small wagon come to a rest. "It is you my good Folk. Funny running into you here." He looks over at the others gathered about and turns back to face Jesper, "You okay? "
His rabbit ears swivel at the sound of his name. Jes narrows his eyes in Kaster’s direction, but they widen with surprise when he recognizes his old friend. “Kaster?!” Jesper shakes his head with disbelief. “It’s been years!” When Kaster asks if he’s okay, Jesper takes a deep breath. “Not really…lost a good friend tonight. Seems I’ve found another though. How have you been?”
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Auriana Firetail
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:31 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Auriana Firetail »

Perception 54/64%: 1d100: [55] = 55
JIC 1d20: [5] = 5
JIC 1d100: [33] = 33

Auriana shakes her head slowly, taking in the conversation first, just listening and absorbing. Finally though, she nods to Jesper. "Agreed, we should get moving. I don't know if there were any, or enough, witnesses to be able to identify us, but putting some space between ourselves and the city, and keep it that way for awhile, seems like the best plan. Regardless of what direction we go. Still, we do have the job, despite the obstacles."

Reaching up, she pats Irok lightly. "We should save your energy for now... and flying through the air makes it difficult to hide," the fox adds quietly. "I'm with Jesper, going on foot would also be best for now."

When Kaster makes their appearance, Auriana draws back a pace, using Iroks bulk as a bit of a barrier; she eyes the newcomer with suspicion, then shifts her gaze to Jesper. "Is he trustworthy?" she asks simply, ears rotating backwards.
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

((Rolls carried))
Auriana Firetail wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:02 am Reaching up, she pats Irok lightly. "We should save your energy for now... and flying through the air makes it difficult to hide," the fox adds quietly. "I'm with Jesper, going on foot would also be best for now."
The bear, reassured with the pat, relaxes his mind and yawns loudly. FOOT WALK he says as a way of agreeing. He is hoping they would all change their minds somehow and he’d soon find himself in front of a warm fire for a good snooze. If not, he’d be patient.
Auriana Firetail wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:02 am When Kaster makes their appearance, Auriana draws back a pace, using Iroks bulk as a bit of a barrier; she eyes the newcomer with suspicion, then shifts her gaze to Jesper. "Is he trustworthy?" she asks simply, ears rotating backwards.
Irok instinctively recognises Auriana’s defensive shift when the goat arrives. He sends her a private telepathic reassurance, ROK SQUISH GOAT IF BAD. He shifts his bulk slightly, providing a better barrier for his vulpine friend, and quietly looks over the newcomer for weapons and ill-intent. Reading the goat’s surface thoughts he will relay anything found back to Auriana via a private thought.

He knows she’ll know what to do. Until then Irok watches.

Idly he wonders why Auriana cannot hear the thoughts of others as he can. It must be that her head is already so full of her own thoughts that there isn’t room for anyone else’s. It made sense to the bear. Auri had a lot of good ideas and her head wasn’t very big at all. CROWDED IN THERE.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

((Rolls held over))
Auriana Firetail wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:02 am"Is he trustworthy?"
"Hm?" Jesper almost misses Auri's question. It takes him a few seconds to process it. "Yes...yes, of course. Kaster is probably the most trustworthy of us gathered here tonight. His father used to drive a cart near the forest. Looks like he's taken over the family business." He looks back to Kaster and says, "My apologies. We really have had a terrible night and we're all a bit on edge, I'm afraid."

Jesper takes a few seconds to point out his companions and tells Kaster their names. "Irok is the bear. Auriana is peeking out from behind him. The feathered one is Quetzal. There were two others in our group. One is a beaver, but he hasn't made it here just yet. The other was slain..." Should Kaster ask for more about the events of the evening, Jesper will tell him everything. ((OOC: I'm not sure if Kaster knew Thistle or Waylin; perhaps they traded goods?))
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

ROLLS HELD
Jesper wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:18 am "Hm?" Jesper almost misses Auri's question. It takes him a few seconds to process it. "Yes...yes, of course. Kaster is probably the most trustworthy of us gathered here tonight. His father used to drive a cart near the forest. Looks like he's taken over the family business." He looks back to Kaster and says, "My apologies. We really have had a terrible night and we're all a bit on edge, I'm afraid."

Jesper takes a few seconds to point out his companions and tells Kaster their names. "Irok is the bear. Auriana is peeking out from behind him. The feathered one is Quetzal. There were two others in our group. One is a beaver, but he hasn't made it here just yet. The other was slain..." Should Kaster ask for more about the events of the evening, Jesper will tell him everything. ((OOC: I'm not sure if Kaster knew Thistle or Waylin; perhaps they traded goods?))
When Jesper confirms Kaster's trustworthiness and introductions are made, Quetzal bobs a slight bow to the goat. Then he settles into the cart, fluffing his feathers.

Good idea, Jesper. This is much better than walking.
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

((Rolls carried by the mystic die bunnies to unknown places of imaginationland))
Jesper wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:18 am Jesper takes a few seconds to point out his companions and tells Kaster their names. "Irok is the bear. Auriana is peeking out from behind him. The feathered one is Quetzal. There were two others in our group. One is a beaver, but he hasn't made it here just yet. The other was slain..." Should Kaster ask for more about the events of the evening, Jesper will tell him everything. ((OOC: I'm not sure if Kaster knew Thistle or Waylin; perhaps they traded goods?))
YES. THISTLE JOKES SLAY. HE FUNNY MARTEN. Irok wonders more on what hiding space he might be using, he'd been distracted by the arrival of the goat and the possibility it was a threat.
Quetzalcoatl wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:39 am When Jesper confirms Kaster's trustworthiness and introductions are made, Quetzal bobs a slight bow to the goat. Then he settles into the cart, fluffing his feathers.
The bear relaxes. He smiles. The ursine death machine approaches the little goat, and he hungers for hugs.

FRIEND!! the bear thinks out to all in range.

With surprising speed the lumbering beast embraces the goat. Though he is a mighty oaf, he is surprisingly gentle and is well aware of the fragility of little buddies. He hasn't squished one in a very long time.

Initiative: 1d20: [13] = 13
Action 1: BEAR HUG ROK LOVE GOAT
Action 2: BEAR HUG GOAT ... NO.. KASTER .. YES KASTER IS FRIEND
Action 3: BEAR HUG KASTER IS ... he pauses, eyeballing Quetzal in the cart GIVING US RIDE?

He releases Kaster, and fondly pats his head with all the delicate affection of someone he'd known for decades rather than moments. Looking excited, he asks, WHERE ROK SIT?
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 1st, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Kingsalter
Environment: Urban, Night


The strange assembly of acquaintances and sometimes work colleagues make haste leaving town. Much strange ado is made about travel arrangements due to the avian's peculiar size. Between the presence created by Irok's sheer physicality and Quetzal's enormous size, the others quickly surmise that this group would find it quite difficult to blend into a crowd. Waylin knew well of their meetup spot just east of the Cumberbridge, and so the strange assembly set out for the rendezvous without further delay.

OOC: You have four days travel on the King's Road to reach the rendezvous point, or six if you wish to avoid the road and travel in a parallel course south of the road. Provide six navigation rolls (any applicable) if you travel off-road. This period of travel will afford each of you the opportunity for a single (MAINTENANCE, RECOVERING, or RELATING) interlude. Simply denote the interlude type in your post, and incorporate such descriptively into your posts.

Jason: This week will be Waylin's last chance to get his character finished and inserted into the narrative--I'm available to help as are your fellow players.

What are your intentions?
Butcher's Bill
Auriana: -4 war arrows
Irok: -39 S.D.C.
Kaster:
Jesper:
Quetzalcoatl: -16 S.D.C.
Waylin:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [100] = 100
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 / 1d100: [78] = 78

During the trip Irok keeps an eye about for fallen branches and logs along the road. He is looking for something stout and of a certain shape. Each he picks up, examines closely, and ultimately discards. Until of course the right one comes along; this one he keeps.

With powerful arms, he snaps off the ends, and strips the bark from the timber. He keeps four branches attached, but cuts them short. Then with his knife, he begins whittling away. During rest periods and when encamped at night, Irok will continue making precise little cuts at the wood.


Sculpting & Whittling 45%: 1d100: [7] = 7 (Professional Quality -- what he's whittling the log into is a mystery. Or is it?).

Also when time permits he checks what remains of his armour.

Grumbling, Irok unties various straps of his studded leather armour and pulls it off. Examining it, he can see bits look about to fall off. SILLY BULLS BREAK SHIRT. He wonders if anyone clever has time to fix it before it fully fell into bits. I ROK LIKE SHIRT BUT SHIRT NOT LIKE ROK.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [29] = 29 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [3] = 3 / 1d100: [68] = 68
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:

King’s Road

Jesper urges the party to travel along the King’s Road, at least for the night. Seems faster and safer this way, he reasons. He hopes to run into Waylin at the rendezvous point, but he doubts the beaver’s courage. He didn’t seem ready for this adventure.

As they walk, Jes falls into step beside Kaster with the intention of catching up with his old friend (Relating Interlude). He tells him of the bandit roundup that took place years ago and how Marcus was executed in Kingsalter. He mentions the Braebucks and his struggle with life in the city. He laughs as he tells stories about Thistle and their shenanigans together. He proudly shows off Saffron’s fine craftsmanship. There is sadness in his voice when Jesper tells Kaster of Thistle’s death. He leaves out no details when they discuss the mission to rescue Harold the Palmist. “I’m glad you decided to join us.” When Jesper isn’t talking, his ears are listening intently to Kaster’s stories.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Percep 1d100: [25] = 25 / 15%
JIC: 1d100: [100] = 100 / 1d20: [17] = 17

Talkies: 1d100: [48] = 48 / 44%

"Rooooad!"

Yes, we should take the shorter route and then hide once we get there. I can't sneak up on anything if I fly.

As they travel, Quetzal helps set up and break down camp, but otherwise spends most of the time riding in the cart and talking to the others as they happen to walk with him during the trip. He specifically tries to get to know Kaster, beyond a new means of conveyance.

RECOVERING INTERLUDE
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [36] = 36
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 1d100: [22] = 22

JIC Land Navigation 50%: 1d100: [89] = 89 , 1d100: [40] = 40 , 1d100: [52] = 52 , 1d100: [91] = 91 , 1d100: [12] = 12 , 1d100: [6] = 6
mistake rolls
1d20: [12] = 12 , 1d20: [11] = 11 , 1d20: [9] = 9 , 1d20: [3] = 3 , 1d20: [17] = 17 , 1d20: [17] = 17
Kaster turns to Jesper, "Naw, sometime when my lil' sis was born, mom made dad switch to short hauling in the city. So we've been making runs in the city for some time, but I'm striking out on my own. I'm actually on my way out of the city right now. I'd be happy to travel with you and your friends Jesper."

Kaster nods to each of Jesper's companions in turns as they are introduced. When Jesper mentions the loss of Thistle, Kaster holds a fist to his forehead and mutters, "May he find green pastures and open fields."

When the bear touches his mind with mental speech, Kaster grins broadly and, as the bear embraces him in a squeeze that leaves him gasping for air, he responds to everyone, Well met friend, though I think my little cart is more suited to gear and supplies. That little four by four bed's not really meant for passengers.

Opting to stick with Jesper and this new crew, Kaster turns away from the inn and heads off into the night along the King's Road. "Staying on the road and in the numbers we have will be pretty safe for a little while at least."

As they begin their journey, Kaster motion for Quetzal to hop up in the back of his cart. "Keep an eye on the road behind us." He turns back tot he others, "I working up to a good sized wagon with a draft team. Make some good heavy long hauls. You'd be surprised what the King's kitchen pays for fresh sea food from Port Periwinkle."

Kaster spends the rest of the night chatting with Jesper (Relating Interlude) and the others. He tries to get a general impression of the group as a whole. This could be a good turn of events. Middle of the summer runs are tricky with the harvest still a few months off and my rig being so small, I don't know what I would have found to haul.
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 5th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Fallwood
Environment: Light Forest, Daytime


The group heeds Jesper's advice and errs on the side of speed versus inconspicuousness. They keep to the King's Road but, after two days of travel along the King’s Road, Auriana gets cold feet, issues her apologies, and sneaks back towards Kingsalter. Quetzal follows along, resting well each night and trying to do as little as possible as he recovers from his minor scrapes from their rather adventurous night in the regional capital. Irok grumbles about the damage to his leather ensemble, fiddles around and whittles at night during camp, but otherwise is a bit inscrutable in his simple mental communications. He's less than pleased when Auriana departs, but with the welcome addition of his fellow mind-speaker, Kaster, he resigns himself to his current path, at least for the time being. Jesper and Kaster spend the days catching up and feeling out the group dynamic. Who has a good head on their shoulders? Who's trustworthy? Who'll have your back in a fight? Who's honest? Who's in charge? After four days of travel on the King's Road they veer off in the direction of the Fallwood, and off the beaten path, leaving the road before they get to the Cumberbridge. By afternoon the group is trundling along amid scattered, light woods when they eye crumbling edges of masonry lost in the undergrowth and foliage of a more dense copse of trees. It's on the way in the direction of the Hand of Vanth.

It is then that the temporary denizen of this structure, Birger, spots them coming up the game path in his general direction. Kiri was tethered but not bound to the wagon, so making a quick escape would be a challenge. But perhaps these travelers are not bandits? They don't seem to notice him eyeing them cautiously from behind the crumbling masonry of this old, lost tower. Perhaps they're merchants? There is a cart being pulled, but if so, what are their wares? And is that bear's fur not blood-stained? A very odd sight they are indeed.
Fallwood.jpg
What are your intentions?
Butcher's Bill
Birger:
Irok: -39 S.D.C.
Kaster:
Jesper:
Quetzalcoatl:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [23] = 23 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [1] = 1 ; 1d100: [97] = 97
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.

Augur wrote:It is then that the temporary denizen of this structure, Birger, spots them coming up the game path in his general direction. Kiri was tethered but not bound to the wagon, so making a quick escape would be a challenge. But perhaps these travelers are not bandits? They don't seem to notice him eyeing them cautiously from behind the crumbling masonry of this old, lost tower. Perhaps they're merchants? There is a cart being pulled, but if so, what are their wares? And is that bear's fur not blood-stained? A very odd sight they are indeed.
Birger was preparing his camp for the night. Then things looked to be changing. Are they going to be trouble? I don't want to have to fight a bunch of bandits. Birger thinks as he eyes the newcomers on their approach. How do we want to play this? If I hide they'll probably steal my cart. If I just attack, I could be attacking normal travelers or merchants... though I question their coming to this part of the woods. Maybe they're questing, like myself. hmmm. Birger contemplates before inwardly shrugging.

Birger steps out from his hiding spot. "Hello folks, please tell me you're not bandits." Birger says clearly to be heard over the short distance.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [10] = 10 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5 / 1d100: [84] = 84
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:

Fallwood

“There’s a ruined watchtower near here,” Jesper tells his companions, recalling the landmark from his childhood. “Do you remember Marcus telling us that it was haunted?” he asks Kaster with a grin. It seems that traveling for the last couple of days has done much to improve Jesper’s sour mood. “I think I see some stones ahead. That means the Hand isn’t terribly far. Maybe a day’s travel.”

Jesper moves in closer to the ruins. He half expects to run into a ghost, but instead a river otter steps into view.
Birger wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:19 am"Hello folks, please tell me you're not bandits." Birger says clearly to be heard over the short distance.
Hell’s bells! Where did you come from?! The rabbit jumps back, startled by Birger. One of his hands falls to Saffron, but Jesper quickly composes himself and greets Birger with words. “Bandits? Oh, no…” He chuckles, holding his hands out as if to signal that he’s not a threat. Then he adds, “I haven’t picked a pocket in weeks.” He offers Birger a friendly sort of smile. “We’re traveling through the wood, same as yourself…?” Jesper looks over the otter, and can’t help feeling that Birger seems somewhat out of place in the Fallwood. Did you wander away from the King’s Road?
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [45] = 45
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [66] = 66

Throughout the journey Irok is engrossed in the process of revealing what lay hidden in his wooden log. Every piece of wood, as far as he knew, had within it a more desirable shape. He didn't know how they got in there, but they were there all the same. Some knew trick of finding them, and a lucky few had the knife-skill to reveal it to the world. Irok happens to be one of those Folk with the knack.

His whittling knife is a simple straight piece of metal, with thin brown leather wrapping the grip. It wasn't designed for throwing or even eating pie, but in the right paws it is an excellent tool for the shaping of wood. By the standards of the Folk, the bear is indeed a dim specimen, but he has perfect dexterity in his paws and an eye for detail. Unlike many Folk, Irok knows how to read shop signs and even books, but they often bored him terribly. What he really found engrossing was reading the knots and roundabout grain lines of timber. Every one was different, and told a different story.

So for days his knife works its magic upon the wood, patiently chipping away in one spot, slicing thin strips off another. Things gradually began to take shape. ROK FINISH SOON. It was a cheery thought for he disliked leaving things unfinished. He is thinking about this and not really paying attention to his woodland surroundings when a voice pipes up from a hiding place.
Birger wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:19 am Birger steps out from his hiding spot. "Hello folks, please tell me you're not bandits." Birger says clearly to be heard over the short distance.
The bear curiously looks the river otter up and down, wondering at the request. His bedtime storybook often had tales of bandits hiding in the woods, and they seemed to be plentiful and rarely peaceful. WHO TEACH ALL BANDITS? He peers more closely at the otter.
Jesper wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:49 am The rabbit jumps back, startled by Birger. One of his hands falls to Saffron, but Jesper quickly composes himself and greets Birger with words. “Bandits? Oh, no…” He chuckles, holding his hands out as if to signal that he’s not a threat. Then he adds, “I haven’t picked a pocket in weeks.” He offers Birger a friendly sort of smile. “We’re traveling through the wood, same as yourself…?” Jesper looks over the otter, and can’t help feeling that Birger seems somewhat out of place in the Fallwood. Did you wander away from the King’s Road?
NOT BANDITS. he says finally. YOU BANDIT TEACHER?
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Birger »

((Rolls Carried Over))
Jesper wrote:“Bandits? Oh, no…” He chuckles, holding his hands out as if to signal that he’s not a threat. Then he adds, “I haven’t picked a pocket in weeks.” He offers Birger a friendly sort of smile. “We’re traveling through the wood, same as yourself…?”
Irok wrote:NOT BANDITS. he says finally. YOU BANDIT TEACHER?

Birger eases up a bit, the tension in his muscles loosening. Birger looks to the rabbit and speaks."Yeah, I was investigating the are for things of interest, so far nothing though." Birger says before looking towards the others, not entirely sure who mind-speaked to him. "I have no idea what a bandit teacher is." Birger says confusedly.

Birger straitens up and straightens his collar a bit. "My name's Birger, I'm from Port Periwinkle to the north. I am on a bit of a walk-a-bout. Who migh you all be?" Birger says to the group in general.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

((Rolls carried))

NOT BANDIT SMELL, the bear observes, sniffing the air loudly. He meets the otter's gaze with cool unconcern for a few heartbeats. He really had no idea how a bandit ought to smell, but he was pretty sure it wasn't the otter's smell. Satisfied the newcomer wasn't about to act like a bandit or bad-tempered bull, the bear yawns, stretches and sits up on his haunches. ROK SLEEPY. He realises that he really had to stop staying up late for whittling sessions.
Birger wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:04 pm Birger straitens up and straightens his collar a bit. "My name's Birger, I'm from Port Periwinkle to the north. I am on a bit of a walk-a-bout. Who migh you all be?" Birger says to the group in general.
Irok clears his mind, which frankly wasn't all that full to begin with, and busies himself mulling over the otter's name. BIRGER. The turns the thought over and tries it backwards. REGRIB. No, the otter had it right, Birger was definitely the right way around. He nods happily, satisfied everything was the right way around where it ought to be. I ROK, the bear introduces himself with a nod of his shaggy bloodied head.

There was, Irok decided, something definitely likeable about this otter. The otter was a likeable enough animal to begin with, but there was something else. He thought about the otter's words and then it came to him. HE SAY "I'm from Port Periwinkle"

GOOD FISH IN PERI-WINKLE.

A hideous grin spreads across the bear's face. HUNGRY. He looks at the otter expectantly.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [87] = 87
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 1d100: [82] = 82
Jesper wrote:“Do you remember Marcus telling us that it was haunted?”
Kaster chuckles, "Yeah. I believed him at the time but now I kinda think he'd say his left shoe was haunted if he could get a rise outta someone." He shakes his head at how gullible they were as children and grins.

Setting his cart handles down as Birger steps out from behind the ruins of the tower, Kaster says, "Bandits? No, not in the traditional sense but..." he fumbles for the words as his wits fail him and he's unable to come up with a joke. He gives a light chuckle, Aye. Two days out of Kingsalter and I'm too tired to string two words together for some witty banter. He moves forward from where he left his cart and raises a hand in greeting.

"Well met friend. I'm called Kaster." He keeps his distance, just in case the Sir Folk is skidish. "We're doing a bit of light adventuring. Though when I began my journey I was planning to head to your home town with plans to forage greens and berries to trade with when I got there. But then I ran into my old friend Jesper here." He motions to the rabbit. We should take care what we say until we know this Sir Folk better
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

((Rolls held over))

Invoke Trust: 1d100: [77] = 77 / 60%

When Irok addresses Birger, Jesper sighs and says, "The bear can be a little...confusing at times." Jesper take a moment to fish an apple from his bag and he tosses it to the hungry Irok.

Jesper nods when Kaster introduces him by name. He steps even closer to the river otter and offers him a hand. "Pleased to meet you, Birger," he politely adds, hoping to gain Birger's trust. Should Birger extend his hand as well, Jesper will give it a firm shake. If Birger keeps his hand to himself, Jesper will lower his own and take a step back. Either way, he continues to confirm Kaster's words. "It's as he said, we're out for a bit of adventuring. Forgive me for asking, but why are you so far away from the King's Road? I don't believe these ruins are on a map these days and most Folk prefer the safety of the road." Jesper keeps a close eye on the river otter, trying to work out if he's to be trusted.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

((Rolls carried))
Jesper wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:43 am When Irok addresses Birger, Jesper sighs and says, "The bear can be a little...confusing at times." Jesper take a moment to fish an apple from his bag and he tosses it to the hungry Irok.
Irok catches the apple with a smooth motion of one paw and looks at it curiously. LOOK BAD.

The bear sniffs it loudly. SMELL BAD. He knows well if he ate something weird like this he’d have belly flux all week. He wonders how bunnies manage it, they clearly have cast iron stomachs.

ROK HATE APPLE.

He tosses it back to his floppy eared friend with the iron guts.
Last edited by Irok on Sun May 15, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/58
Post Reply

Return to “A Tale of Tails (ATB Adventure Forum)”