Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

After the Bomb adventure forum
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

((Rolls held over))

Jesper catches the apple that is returned to him and starts to polish the fruit on his sleeve. "You don't know what you're missing," he tells Irok.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Percep 1d100: [51] = 51 / 15%
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [60] = 60

Talkies: 1d100: [52] = 52 / 44%

Quetzal drowses in the sun as the cart moves, listening to his companions chatting to each other. It's amazing they still have things to talk about after two days. Maybe I should get a 'hobby' like Irok's whittling.

When they pull up at the tower and Birger introduces himself, Quetzal looks at the otter's larger, horse-drawn cart. Odd, does everyone outside of town own carts, or are we just running into only cart owners?

"Uuus travel! See places!"

I hope no one lets slip our true mission. Who knows where this random person's allegiances truly lie?

He watches as Jesper begins interrogating the strange otter, then stands in the cart and keeps an eye on the tower and woods around them in case this was an ambush.
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 5th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Fallwood
Environment: Light Forest, Daytime

Birger comes across as incredibly friendly and cautious if he's a bandit, and he declares that he's not one, so the guards and personal walls start to lower and the group begins introducing themselves, and having a discussion about their destination, intentions, and wanderings.
OOC Comments
As we're picking up another player, and this is a social encounter, I'm going to hold us in this scene until Pip is ready and I've introduced him.
What are your intentions?
Butcher's Bill
Birger:
Irok: -39 S.D.C.
Kaster:
Jesper:
Quetzalcoatl:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [77] = 77
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 / 1d100: [8] = 8
Conditions:
A mutant with Telepathic Listening can "hear" what a person is thinking. This is done by focusing on one person and picking up on his or her surface thoughts.

With nothing edible forthcoming Irok calmly looks to everyone in turn, seeking a cue of some sort. After a moment he decides that the seemingly endless flow of chatter wasn't going to end anytime soon. Yawning, he leans against a tree and pulls his near complete whittling project out from his pack. With his knife he begins to patiently shape the wood. The bear is seemingly indifferent to what is being discussed around him.

His mind gazes at the otter without actually seeing him, listening to his surface thoughts with Telepathic Listening. He hopes to hear something about fish since the newcomer comes from a town full of them.

Irok works on his project unless asked a question directly, or the topic of something edible comes up.
Last edited by Irok on Mon May 23, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/19
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [88] = 88 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [85] = 85
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:

Fallwood

You seem friendly enough, Jes thinks of Birger, relaxing a little. It’s just odd that you’re here and not on the King’s Road. He gets bored with polishing the apple on his sleeve, and tucks it away in his pack. “So…walkabout?” he carefully asks the river otter.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Percep 1d100: [58] = 58 / 15%
JIC: 1d100: [43] = 43 / 1d20: [6] = 6

Talkies: 1d100: [69] = 69 / 44%

Quetzal says, "Hoooome?"

This would be an adequate location to defend and we're barely off the road. We could be petty royalty here...

"Gooooo?"

Or we can move on. By the sweet ones walking is the worst thing in the entire world.
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [20] = 20 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [6] = 6 ; 1d100: [44] = 44
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.

Jesper wrote:“So…walkabout?”
Birger looks confused. Doesn't everyone do this? "Yeah it's a custom, you hit the age of majority and you go out on your own for a year to look for something useful for your community. It's a great learning opportunity." Birger says, pausing then continuing. "Yeah I thought it was common everywhere. Maybe not." Birger concludes.
Quetzalcoatl wrote:"Hoooome?"
Birger is almost startled by the giant hummingbird. "uhhh.... No, but you can have it if you want. I was just parked here for a rest." Birger says to the very large hummingbird.

Birger decides to ask a question instead of pondering the situation further. "So what are you all doing out here then? As you said, not exactly a normal trail." Birger asks.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [44] = 44 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [9] = 9 ; 1d100: [27] = 27
Conditions: Danger Sense
Jesper wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:00 am You seem friendly enough, Jes thinks of Birger, relaxing a little. It’s just odd that you’re here and not on the King’s Road. He gets bored with polishing the apple on his sleeve, and tucks it away in his pack. “So…walkabout?” he carefully asks the river otter.
Quetzalcoatl wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 pm Quetzal says, "Hoooome?"

This would be an adequate location to defend and we're barely off the road. We could be petty royalty here...

"Gooooo?"

Or we can move on. By the sweet ones walking is the worst thing in the entire world.
Birger wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:19 pm Birger looks confused. Doesn't everyone do this? "Yeah it's a custom, you hit the age of majority and you go out on your own for a year to look for something useful for your community. It's a great learning opportunity." Birger says, pausing then continuing. "Yeah I thought it was common everywhere. Maybe not." Birger concludes.

Birger is almost startled by the giant hummingbird. "uhhh.... No, but you can have it if you want. I was just parked here for a rest." Birger says to the very large hummingbird.

Birger decides to ask a question instead of pondering the situation further. "So what are you all doing out here then? As you said, not exactly a normal trail." Birger asks.
Pip relaxes his bow as he observes the conversation from the tree he had just enough time to hide in when he heard the group approaching Birger and his camp. Almost definitely not bandits. They would have already tried extorting in a four-to-one situation. But let's see how they answer Birger's question before I reveal myself.
OOC Comments
Would Pip's advanced hearing have allowed him to hear Jesper mention the Hand to his companions?
Prowl: 1d100: [49] = 49 /34% (remain hidden for now)
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

((Rolls carried))
Conditions:
A mutant with Telepathic Listening can "hear" what a person is thinking. This is done by focusing on one person and picking up on his or her surface thoughts.

Birger wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:19 pm Birger decides to ask a question instead of pondering the situation further. "So what are you all doing out here then? As you said, not exactly a normal trail." Birger asks.
ROK LOVE JESPER. Irok says somewhat tenderly in his own overly loud thoughts. He doesn't look up from his whittling. JESPER GO, ROK FOLLOW.

ARI NOT FOLLOW. There's a sadness in the bear's tone. AND THISTLE HIDING

He looks up at Birger, his eyes penetrating. THISTLE GOOD HIDER, THISTLE WATCHES. The bear resumes his work, adding, ROK FIND THISTLE.

He sends a private thought to Quetzal alone. TOO MUCH TALK.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/19
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 5th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Fallwood
Environment: Light Forest, Daytime

Rok gets bored of conversation, finds the shade of a tree, and starts whittling as is his custom of late. Jesper & Kaster inquire if the otter, Birger, is on a pilgrimage of sorts, seemingly not sure what to make of the described custom. In lieu of an in-depth explanation of the custom and its provenance, the otter goes on the offensive with a question of his own. Birger asks, "So what are you all doing out here then? As you said, not exactly a normal trail."

Meanwhile, behind the limbs of a shaded tree across from the burly-looking bear, lurks a raccoon of unusual perspicacity. He overhears the rabbit, Jesper, mention The Hand of Vanth to his companions, but missed the full context of the mention. As Pip relaxes his bow, his weight on his feet shifts, and a stick underfoot snaps in twain. Only Birger seems to pay it any mind or take note of the audible misstep. His danger sense does not trigger in the situation despite the Hummingbird's insane size and the disconcerting red stain across the muzzle of the bear, and so he's certain they're not bandits. Certainly, as he's already surmised, their behavior is not suggestive of such, but they do seem an unusual crowd, and the rabbit did mention the Hand...and that's when Pip's mind snaps into sharp focus. These are adventurers, mercenaries, sell-swords, or whatever appellation one might wish to address and denigrate this motley assembly of folk.

What are your intentions?
Butcher's Bill
Birger:
Irok: -39 S.D.C.
Kaster:
Jesper:
Quetzalcoatl:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [59] = 59
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [54] = 54
Conditions: Venting.

WHITTLE WHITTLE The bear intones to no one in particular. He looks relaxed leaning against the tree, and he gives his work a critical appraising glare. He nods, seemingly satisfied. LITTLE BY LITTLE He starts scraping away at a section that has his interest, his blade held sideways, and a stream of tiny shavings litter the grounds about the tree.

Since his fingers are naturally nimble, he works with surprising sinuous grace.

ROK FINISH SOON. It was a good day, without complications and troubles.

Whittling 45%: 1d100: [48] = 48 (FAIL)

The bear suddenly stops and frowns. He didn't know how it got there, but there it was. He peers closer at the wooden piece he had spent days working on. It had gradually gotten thinner, and was now a long curved shape, no longer a log. The daily whittles had now revealed something; a small crack.

Irok grumbles, a deep threatening sound of implied violence directed wholly at the little wood in his paws. WOOD CRACKED The offending crack was not far from the middle. Was it hidden in the wood? Did Irok hold it too tightly in his powerful paws? WOOD CRACKED!

Irok sighs mightily, and delicately returns the piece to his pack. Securing the flap, he pats the pack reassuringly. I ROK NOT ANGRY. He lets his breath out slowly.

THISTLE HIDE. He twitches at the thought, it had been days. WHERE HE GO?

AURI GO HOME! His fists clench.

WAYLIN GO HOME!! His breath shudders.

BULL BREAK SHIRT! His foot stomps angrily as he pats his damaged armour, as if to soothe it. The damage was something that Thistle could have easily repaired but it is well beyond the bear's knowledge.

A kind of boiling anger surges up in his veins as a series of recent events cascade in his mind. The crack that now mars his whittling project is the last straw. He rages.

I ROK PISSED!

Titanic and enraged, the hulking bear would still never harm his friends, so he turns to the nearest thing that looks challenging; the tree. He snarls, a shocking, animal-like sound of overwhelming frustration. He wraps mighty arms about the trunk and heaves.

Nothing short of uprooting it outright, and hurling it at the sun, will satisfy him. It the tree cannot be uprooted, he will instead attempt to break the trunk in two at it's base.
OOC Comments
Irok can lift up to 18,000 lbs, and he is a very cranky bear. Given the restricted hurling space in the woods, if Irok succeeds in uprooting the tree he will Psychic Walk upwards at 45 degrees to get well clear of the treeline before throwing the thing with everything he's got. He'll aim at the sun so long as it's not directly overhead, the alternative is a long throw.

PC's hiding in the tree will have adequate time to get clear. Irok will move slowly because slowly crushing the tree is more satisfying, and he doesn't want to drop it on a friend nearby. Safety first!
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/19
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [1] = 1
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 1d100: [33] = 33

Kaster grins, "I can't say that its a custom for me, but I pretty much doing the same thing. Got myself a cart and set out from my Dad's short haul business in Kingsalter. I figure I'd build up a long haul business like my Dad used to do before my little sister was born, make the trek between Kingsalter and Port Periwinkle. I was heading out of town when I ran into my old friend Jesper and his friends here."

Kaster looks over at Jesper, "Yeah, this is a pretty good place to take a rest. Decent protection and better that just sleeping in the open but we should probably push on soon."[/b] He looks back to Birger and pauses a bit, Now's the test. Do we show our hand and invite him along or move on without him and hope he doesn't come up behind us with ill intent. He kicks at a rock with his cloven foot as he mentally speaks to Jesper, "I'm going to invite him along, if he is a bandit, best to know where he is rather than have him sneaking up behind us."

Coming to a decision Kaster speaks up, "We're going to the Hand of Vanth to try and free a Folk that's been kidnapped by some Chiromancers." his hand drifts down to his axe, resting on the butt of the hilt in anticipation of Birger trying something.

Kaster jumps sideways as Irok attacks a tree in frustration, "Whoa fella, that tree didn't do anything to you just calm down and breath."
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [98] = 98 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 / 1d100: [18] = 18
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:

Fallwood

When Kaster tells him that it’s his intention to invite Birger into their group, Jesper considers it a good idea. We lost Thistle. Auri and Waylin have abandoned us. And the otter seems capable, albeit not a bandit…would be good to add to our numbers before chasing after the Chiromancers, he reasons. With a nod, Jesper approves of Kaster’s plan.

“What say you?” he asks Birger after Kaster extends the invitation. “Care to join our party and have a little adventure to tell the Folk back home?”

When Irok suddenly flies into a rage at a tree, Jesper’s long ears swing in the bear’s direction. I doubt his tantrum will do much to persuade the otter to join up with us. Auri could have calmed him down if she were here, the rabbit believes. His eyes dart to Quetzal next, as he’s the only one big enough to stop Irok if need be.

“I’m sorry,” Jes apologizes, somewhat embarrassed as he turns his attention back to Birger. “He's not normally like this. We've lost some friends along the way and it's been rough on us all.”
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Percep 1d100: [14] = 14 / 15%
JIC: 1d100: [9] = 9 / 1d20: [14] = 14

Talkies: 1d100: [16] = 16 / 44%

Irok is blowing our chance to have this extra cart travel with us.

Quetzal rolls his eyes, walks over to Irok, and gently pats his back.

When Irok turns around, Quetzal looks deep in his eyes and says, "Shhhhh. Sofffft. Sleeee." Exerting his feathery will to force Irok to calm down and sleep. HYPNOTIC SUGGESTION

It's hard to make a 'p' sound when you have a beak.
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [35] = 35 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [1] = 1 ; 1d100: [64] = 64
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.


Birger looks at Irok at first, and notices his near ruined suit of armor. "I could probably fix that for you with the right materials." Birger says pointing at Irok. Then when Irok rages, Birger instinctively ducks behind the wall. Holy Crap!
Kaster wrote:Kaster grins, "I can't say that its a custom for me, but I pretty much doing the same thing. Got myself a cart and set out from my Dad's short haul business in Kingsalter. I figure I'd build up a long haul business like my Dad used to do before my little sister was born, make the trek between Kingsalter and Port Periwinkle. I was heading out of town when I ran into my old friend Jesper and his friends here."
Birger from his relatively safe spot behind the wall nods. "My folks do a similar trip out to a few of the islands for fishing related stuff." Birger says loud enough to be heard over Irok's thrashing of the the tree.
Kaster wrote:"We're going to the Hand of Vanth to try and free a Folk that's been kidnapped by some Chiromancers." his hand drifts down to his axe, resting on the butt of the hilt in anticipation of Birger trying something.
Birger looks thoughtful for a moment. "Yeah, sounds like something that needs to be done. Let me see if my companion is interested, but tentatively I say yes." Birger says, betraying the hidden Pip for the first time.

"What do you think Pip, want to travel with these folks to say some other folk?" Birger says loud enough to be heard over Irok's continued tantrum.
Jesper wrote:“What say you?” he asks Birger after Kaster extends the invitation. “Care to join our party and have a little adventure to tell the Folk back home?”
Birger nods. "Like I said, gotta see what my traveling companion says, but likely yes." Birger says.
Jesper wrote:“I’m sorry,” Jes apologizes, somewhat embarrassed as he turns his attention back to Birger. “He's not normally like this. We've lost some friends along the way and it's been rough on us all.”
Birger looks down at his feet for a moment. "My condolences."
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [33] = 33 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [20] = 20 ; 1d100: [67] = 67
Conditions: Danger Sense
Birger wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:44 pm Birger looks thoughtful for a moment. "Yeah, sounds like something that needs to be done. Let me see if my companion is interested, but tentatively I say yes." Birger says, betraying the hidden Pip for the first time.

"What do you think Pip, want to travel with these folks to say some other folk?" Birger says loud enough to be heard over Irok's continued tantrum.

Birger nods. "Like I said, gotta see what my traveling companion says, but likely yes." Birger says.
Positive that there is no danger at present, Pip does not mind Birger giving away his existence. "Well if we are all going to the same place it makes sense." He says from his tree, then while climbing down he continues. "Especially if there are kidnapers there."

Climbing: 1d100: [62] = 62 /79% (climb down from the tree)

While unstringing his bow he approaches Birger's side, but warily eyes the Bear's fit. He is absurdly strong. Would hate to get on his bad side. And does he not have a quieter voice? "Sorry there was not time to warn you Birger, but you have better gear for close quarters." Turning to the group he addresses them. "The name's Philip, but you can call me Pip. I was wanting to check out the Hand to answer your earlier question. If someone needs help I am more than willing to offer assistance." Tilting his head he inquires. "Chiromancers you said? Like palm readers? But fanatics instead of charlatans?"
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 5th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Fallwood
Environment: Light Forest, Daytime


Irok, unable to uproot the tree or break it at it's thickest and strongest part, nonetheless tears it apart through repeated slashing. Quetzal's unable to persuade him out of this off-putting and peculiar course of action. After a few minutes of thrashing and clawing, the tree is a ruin at the edge of the forest road. After a few awkward moments, the groups' various conversations continue, but with all their interests seemingly aligned, they get moving along the road.
Feel free to include a "traveling discussions" segment in your next posts covering what you discussed/shared while on the forest road.


After some hours of travel and discussion, the sunset is more sudden than one might expect. Those familiar with the Fallwood have heard of its reputation for misleading even seasoned foragers and rangers, and causing Folk to lose track of time. Before they realize it, the road is dark, and safe navigation is somewhat problematic. Shadows dance along the edges of the road playing tricks on one's eyes. A forested hillock causes the road to fork in twain, and either side of the road is hemmed in by twenty to thirty foot high ridgelines.

Birger's sensitive nose twitches at a somewhat peculiar, musky, spoiled odor on the night air in addition to the more common scents of the forest's trees & underbrush. Atop everything, there's a certain strange odor his nose has never before encountered. It smells kind of like a union of lavender and the aroma of burning white-hot metal. All the scents seem to be coming generally from North of their current position.

Jesper & Pip can hear two distinct voices faintly in the distance to the North past the small, forested hill that splits the road. One voice is low, slow, and seems to be directive in nature. The other barely registers as its replies seem only to be acknowledgements, but that voice is deep, guttural, and rough. None of the words are clear enough to make out, but there's also a muffled third voice whose phonations are inarticulate.

Post three Prowl rolls (and act accordingly) if you wish to engage in stealthy actions.

Two successful checks are required to ascend from the level of the road and to the top of one of the forested hills. Provide FOUR checks if you wish to climb given the nature of climbing skill checks.

A successful check will indicate to the character that the group ought to be in CLOSE proximity to the Hand of Vanth site.

Vanth1.jpg
What are your intentions?
Butcher's Bill
Birger:
Irok: -39 S.D.C. to armor
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
Quetzalcoatl:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [11] = 11 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [5] = 5 ; 1d100: [36] = 36
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.

Skills
Land Navigation: 1d100: [58] = 58 /45% Fail (To keep on target.)
Prowl: 1d100: [65] = 65 /29% Fail, 1d100: [15] = 15 /29% Pass, 1d100: [44] = 44 /29% Fail (To not be noticed)
Teamster/Wagoner: 1d100: [74] = 74 /54% Fail (To park cart)
Climbing: 1d100: [80] = 80 /49% Fail, 1d100: [1] = 1 /49% Pass, 1d100: [35] = 35 /49% Pass, 1d100: [19] = 19 /49% Pass. (To climb up)
On the road conversation.

While the group is on the road and Irok is in a better mood. "If I can get my hands on some materials I could fix your shirt." Birger says. "I kind of do that kind of stuff for a living, so It shouldn't be too hard." Birger continues.

Birger looks to Jesper and Kaster. "So does this job pay? Or is it more for the greater good?" Birger asks, his voice wreathed in curiosity.

Current Scene

A few deep sniffs of the air. "Hmmm... A somewhat peculiar, musky, spoiled odor. On top of that, there is a strange odor, kind of like a union of lavender and the aroma of burning white-hot metal. Seems to be coming from North of us." Birger says in a hushed tone, as he struggles to get the parking break set on his cart. Stupid thing... need to remember to oil it next time. Birger thinks as he hops down from his seat and grabs his kit. Jamming his bow into it's holster, Birger tries to quietly climb the rise to the north to get a better view of the area.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [82] = 82 (FAIL)
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [73] = 73
Conditions:
The mutant floats in the air and can move at a normal rate of speed within the limits of the character's Spd. attribute.



Location: On the Road by the Ruined Tree in Fallwood
Augur wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:08 pm Irok, unable to uproot the tree or break it at it's thickest and strongest part, nonetheless tears it apart through repeated slashing. Quetzal's unable to persuade him out of this off-putting and peculiar course of action. After a few minutes of thrashing and clawing, the tree is a ruin at the edge of the forest road.
The bear suddenly stops, observing for a moment the ruin of the tree. Focusing on that present somehow helped him forget past hurts. He shivers and drops to all fours. Pushing past the others, he shuffles towards the cart. There he uncorks a waterskin and splashes water over his head and neck. WATER GOOD. He shakes and breathes hard for a long time.

Afterward, the bear looks about to the group. His mind is much calmer since he passed his hurts onto the tree. I ROK BETTER. He notices the racoon and lumbers over to Pip, curiously sniffing him. FOOD? He hopes to smell food amongst the racoon's belongings and is blissfully unaware that he may actually be giving folk the impression that the racoon is the meal. That, of course, is the last thing on his mind. Racoons taste terrible. Whether or not he detects food, or gets an answer, Irok will then he gently pat Pip on the head. FRIEND.

He introduces himself, giving a little nod of his shaggy head as he says, NAME I ROK. BLOOD. FEAST.


Location: Along the road
Birger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:58 pm While the group is on the road and Irok is in a better mood. "If I can get my hands on some materials I could fix your shirt." Birger says. "I kind of do that kind of stuff for a living, so It shouldn't be too hard." Birger continues.
WAYLIN MAKE SHIRT. He looks at the otter with a studied calm. I ROK MISS WAYLIN. With a regretful sigh he adds, BUT SHIRT BREAK EASY. The bear looks over his leather armour and studies the damage. BEAVERS GOOD MAKERS. OTTERS ARE MAKERS? He worries a moment that Birger might break the shirt even more, even though he trusts the otter's intentions are good. WHAT WAYLIN THINK?

Walking in silence he considers Birger's words for several long minutes. A sorrowful feeling touches his mind as he realises that Auri was always nearby when these sorts of decisions needed making. He did not like the feeling, he felt hollow somehow. MUST THINK.

After a time an idea comes to the bear, he carefully looks at Birger's own leather armour, and asks BIRGER MAKE THAT?

Finally, Irok decides Waylin wouldn't mind if Birger were to fix the shirt. The beaver was far away now and Irok has no idea when he will see him again. I ROK LIKE SHIRT FIXED. Then, he nods. THANK YOU. With a rumbling chuckle he pats the otter on the head.


Location: Current scene
Augur wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:08 pm After some hours of travel and discussion, the sunset is more sudden than one might expect. Those familiar with the Fallwood have heard of its reputation for misleading even seasoned foragers and rangers, and causing Folk to lose track of time. Before they realize it, the road is dark, and safe navigation is somewhat problematic. Shadows dance along the edges of the road playing tricks on one's eyes. A forested hillock causes the road to fork in twain, and either side of the road is hemmed in by twenty to thirty foot high ridgelines.
Birger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:58 pm A few deep sniffs of the air. "Hmmm... A somewhat peculiar, musky, spoiled odor. On top of that, there is a strange odor, kind of like a union of lavender and the aroma of burning white-hot metal. Seems to be coming from North of us." Birger says in a hushed tone, as he struggles to get the parking break set on his cart. Stupid thing... need to remember to oil it next time. Birger thinks as he hops down from his seat and grabs his kit. Jamming his bow into it's holster, Birger tries to quietly climb the rise to the north to get a better view of the area.
The bear lifts his head and sniffs at the air. HUNT? Irok eyeballs the high ridgeline as Birger begins to climb. He looks to the others, a curious expression in his eyes.

WANT RIDE? the bear projects the thought to his nearby companions. He concentrates on the air before him, and takes a couple short steps upwards. He stands a foot above the ground, on the very air, demonstrating to the newcomers the advantages of ignorance. GRAVITY IS MYTH. He waits for anyone who wishes a ride to climb on his back, and then quietly ascends to the top. He will repeat the trip if needed, as well as pick up Birger from the ridge if he desires a shortcut.


Prowl 40%: 1d100: [68] = 68 (FAIL), 1d100: [83] = 83 (FAIL), 1d100: [60] = 60 (FAIL)<-- to not be noticed
OOC Comments
I won't post climb checks since Irok just walks up the air, however I will post prowl. I have no idea if it's needed to maintain silence when air-walking, but the rolls are there for the GM if needed. The bear certainly hopes he gets a much needed bonus since he's airwalking.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/19
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [8] = 8 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [9] = 9 ; 1d100: [17] = 17
Conditions: Danger Sense

GM Skill checks
Navigation: 1d100: [61] = 61 /64% Pass (Check location)
Prowl: 1d100: [49] = 49 /34% Fail, 1d100: [42] = 42 /34% Fail, 1d100: [63] = 63 /34% Fail (Be sneeky)
Climbing: 1d100: [3] = 3 /79% Pass, 1d100: [27] = 27 /79% Pass, 1d100: [15] = 15 /79% Pass, 1d100: [62] = 62 /79% Pass (Climb the hillock too the north)
Location: On the Road by the Ruined Tree in Fallwood
Irok wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:32 pm Afterward, the bear looks about to the group. His mind is much calmer since he passed his hurts onto the tree. I ROK BETTER. He notices the racoon and lumbers over to Pip, curiously sniffing him. FOOD? He hopes to smell food amongst the racoon's belongings and is blissfully unaware that he may actually be giving folk the impression that the racoon is the meal. That, of course, is the last thing on his mind. Racoons taste terrible. Whether or not he detects food, or gets an answer, Irok will then he gently pat Pip on the head. FRIEND.

He introduces himself, giving a little nod of his shaggy head as he says, NAME I ROK. BLOOD. FEAST.
Having surmised that Irok may be a carnivore from his reaction to Jesper's apple, Pip is temporarily unnerved when the bear may be asking if he is food, but the lack of his Danger Sense going off and Iroks behavior afterward quickly dispels the notion. "Philip Climbwell, but you can call me Pip." He responds to the bear's introduction. "I do have some jerky on me, but I am afraid it would probably not be more than a bite for you considering your size." He seems friendly enough, if slow. I hope this is good company he is in. We will see soon enough.

Location: Along the road

While riding along with Birger, Pip asks Jesper. "So who exactly was it that was kidnapped?"

Location: Current scene
Augur wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:08 pm Jesper & Pip can hear two distinct voices faintly in the distance to the North past the small, forested hill that splits the road. One voice is low, slow, and seems to be directive in nature. The other barely registers as its replies seem only to be acknowledgements, but that voice is deep, guttural, and rough. None of the words are clear enough to make out, but there's also a muffled third voice whose phonations are inarticulate.
Ears twitching when he hears the voices Pip shushes the group. "Shhh!" After everyone is silent he continues. "If no one else can, I hear some voices on the other side of that hill." Pip gestures to the northern hillock. "We are should be very close to the hand now, it could be the kidnappers."
Birger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:58 pm A few deep sniffs of the air. "Hmmm... A somewhat peculiar, musky, spoiled odor. On top of that, there is a strange odor, kind of like a union of lavender and the aroma of burning white-hot metal. Seems to be coming from North of us." Birger says in a hushed tone, as he struggles to get the parking break set on his cart. Stupid thing... need to remember to oil it next time. Birger thinks as he hops down from his seat and grabs his kit. Jamming his bow into it's holster, Birger tries to quietly climb the rise to the north to get a better view of the area.

Pip sniffs the air to see if he can smell what Birger does. His nose is better than mine. What smells like that? "Same direction as the voices." Seeing that Birger is struggling with the cart Pip tries to help the best he can, but is afraid he only made it worse. Then stows his bow to climb up the northern hillock with him.

Teamster/Wagoner: 1d100: [66] = 66 /64% (Help Birger park) Fail
Chemistry: 1d100: [54] = 54 /59% (Identify what Birger smells) Pass
Chemistry: Analytical: 1d100: [79] = 79 /49% (Identify what Birger smells) Fail
Irok wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:32 pm The bear lifts his head and sniffs at the air. HUNT? Irok eyeballs the high ridgeline as Birger begins to climb. He looks to the others, a curious expression in his eyes.

WANT RIDE? the bear projects the thought to his nearby companions. He concentrates on the air before him, and takes a couple short steps upwards. He stands a foot above the ground, on the very air, demonstrating to the newcomers the advantages of ignorance. GRAVITY IS MYTH. He waits for anyone who wishes a ride to climb on his back, and then quietly ascends to the top. He will repeat the trip if needed, as well as pick up Birger from the ridge if he desires a shortcut.
While climbing Pip looks back to check on Irok's offer and is surprised to see Irok walking in the air. You don't see that every day!
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [83] = 83 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5 / 1d100: [33] = 33
Conditions: Danger Sense (unless this is triggered, then Jes will switch to Invisible Haze)
Skills:
Navigation: 1d100: [11] = 11 / 50%
Prowl: 1d100: [36] = 36 , 1d100: [96] = 96 , and 1d100: [8] = 8 / 30%
Climb: 1d100: [90] = 90 , 1d100: [7] = 7 , 1d100: [20] = 20 , and 1d100: [82] = 82 / 40% (Jes can drop 14’ without taking damage)

On the Road
Birger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:58 pmBirger looks to Jesper and Kaster. "So does this job pay? Or is it more for the greater good?" Birger asks, his voice wreathed in curiosity.
“Harold Wyck is the son of the treasurer in Kingsalter. I expect that we’ll earn a handsome reward if we’re able to rescue him,” Jesper informs Birger. His nose twitches as he tries to recall the exact details of the job posting. There was a reward, right? Thistle was the one who could read it… As they make their way down the road, Jesper does his best to share as much information about Harold’s plight as he can with the party’s newest members. Here's the initial post with the details...

Fallwood, near the Hand of Vanth

We’re getting close, Jesper believes. He turns his head this way and that, observing the darkness that has settled over the Fallwood. Might have to stop for the night, and wait until… The rabbit’s black-tipped ears swing in the direction of voices, interrupting his thoughts. Jes pauses in his tracks and stands just a little taller as if it will help him to hear better. When he’s unable to make out the exact words being spoken, he shakes his head with frustration. “Three voices, I think…have the chiromancers arrived already?” Jesper whispers, adding to Pip’s information.

Eager for more information, Jesper decides to make his way up the ridge to get a better look. He’s hardly alone in his efforts. Nevertheless, he makes the attempt to move silently. He jumps the first 11’ and climbs up the rest of the way. If he feels that he is in danger or has been spotted, Jesper will stop moving and vanish from sight.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Percep 1d100: [17] = 17 / 15%
JIC: 1d100: [41] = 41 / 1d20: [14] = 14

Talkies: 1d100: [85] = 85 / 44%

At the Ruins
Quetzal nods to Pip and Birger when they introduce themselves, saying "Piiiip, Buuurger." He then bows deeply, spreading his wings, "Quetzalcoatl!"

Hopefully these new Folk won't turn on us... or die as easily as the last batch.


Along the Road
Quetzal tries to carefully observe the forest, enjoying the breeze in the trees and the feeling of travel, slow as it is. He makes general small talk with the new arrivals and nods along with Jasper's explanation of the situation.

I honestly forgot if there was a reward, this is a matter of honor after they attacked us. Folk seem to talk more when it's easier for them. Perhaps I am blessed to have difficulty speaking Common.

At the Hand
As the others begin to make their way toward the top of the hill, Quetzal manifests his ectoplasmic arms from under his wings and goes over his equipment, unlimbering his bow and generally preparing for violence.

He looks Jesper in the eye, whispering, "Tooop, scout." Then Quetzal gently taps the top of Irok's head with his beak as Irok begins airwalking up the hill. "Rok talk."

Nodding, he waits to get information from the quieter beings about where he needs to go.

Lavendar and hot metal. Burning flowers in preparation of a sacrifice? Incense? I knew a skunk named Lavendar once...

CONTINGENCY: If screaming or the sounds of combat start on the other side of the hill, he takes wing, and flies over the top as quickly as possible, ready to intervene.
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 5th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Fallwood
Environment: Light Forest, Daytime


Pip & Jesper confirm that they ought to be in close proximity to the fabled site of "the Hand of Vanth." In all likelihood, it's just over the next rise. Quetzal and Kaster hang back with the baggage train. Queztal prepares himself for battle while Kaster secures the wagon, the cart, and the mule. Being relatively inexperienced, nobody is particularly stealthy though a few members of the group have moments of competence from which they might later learn some valuable lessons. Birger at first stumbles at the foot of the stony island, but then finds his footing amid the exposed tree roots and then surges up the hillside. Irok psychically manifests the invisible staircase in his mind and begins climbing the steps. His footfalls land on air, but he's oblivious to the little details of the terrain like the height of the treetops, and so finds he has an enjoyable view from about twenty feet above the treeline. While relatively silent, he stands out a bit like a sore thumb at his present altitude. While Pip adroitly climbs the ridgeline to the tree-covered hillock, he's definitely not quiet about it.

Jesper leaps to the top of the first level of the embankment, and then quickly scales the rest. Reaching the top, a misplaced foot causes a small rock-slide, but before his position is given away he's already found his way into the undergrowth at the top of the forested hillock. He's the only one of the group to have successfully taken the necessary steps at being stealthy. He can see all the rest plain as day, especially the big, lumbering bear floating in the air above the treeline. Birger & Pip take in the scene with their keen senses and finally put identities to the various scents and sounds of moments prior:

Two large boars are clearly on sentry duty and have turned to face the hill. The beady eyes of the sentries scan the night sky and treeline, but they clearly hadn't been paying attention. Harold the Palmist kneels before an altar atop a dais at the top of a short flight of stairs. There's a stained slab of stone before Harold, and another of the big, hairy porcine brutes looms over him, easily five times Harold's mass. Harold Wyck, as it turns out, is a member of the corvid family, likely a crow--they are, after all, reputed to be a mischievous lot. It's no wonder so many find their way into finance and as advisors to lords and nobles. Irrespective of Harold's character, the boar is binding his feet with his right hand as his left hand is between Harold's shoulders pinning Harold to the slab. Harold Wyck is unashamedly begging and pleading for life between sobs with appeals to the boar's vanity, greed, and finally to his sense of self-preservation with unambiguous threats to the boar's family should any harm befall him. The boar is reveling in Harold's begging. The two porky sentries each have a massive bow commensurate with their girth, and each has a long spear shoved into the ground beside them. The porker on the dais has a large pole arm spiked into the ground near his which is easily twice as high as he is tall. It's beaked business end looks stained black in the moonlight. All of them wear hard boiled leather tunics which hang loosely past their enormous bellies and down past their knobby, hairy knees. At the foot of the stairway to the dais stands a tortoise with a hefty-looking sword wrapped around his armor-hardened back. He looks to be directing this particular enterprise.

The tortoise calls out, up the stairs to Harold, "Tesska and Ortria know you for the charlatan you are, Harold Wyck! They will exact their price from you, and reward me for the execution of justice!" His reptilian features spread wide in a look of righteous delight. "Beg forgiveness, Harold! Repent your mockery of our arcane order! The Enchanted Skulls of Vanth will not hear you, but the craven pleas of charlatans like you are music to me!"

Everyone save Jesper [he's already hidden] can make 1 Prowl attempt if they wish to hide from view of the sentries. This will be an opposed skill check vs their perception.

You are successfully hidden. You may take this melee of actions unseen & unopposed. A sneak attack ends such, but cannot be defended against; if from behind, it does double damage; if a critical hit, it does triple damage; if both, it does quadruple damage.

Vanth.jpg
What are your intentions?
Butcher's Bill
Birger:
Irok: -39 S.D.C. to armor
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
Quetzalcoatl:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [78] = 78
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 / 1d100: [59] = 59
Conditions: Psychic Walk
Augur wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:19 am Two large boars are clearly on sentry duty and have turned to face the hill. The beady eyes of the sentries scan the night sky and treeline, but they clearly hadn't been paying attention. Harold the Palmist kneels before an altar atop a dais at the top of a short flight of stairs. There's a stained slab of stone before Harold, and another of the big, hairy porcine brutes looms over him, easily five times Harold's mass. Harold Wyck, as it turns out, is a member of the corvid family, likely a crow--they are, after all, reputed to be a mischievous lot. It's no wonder so many find their way into finance and as advisors to lords and nobles. Irrespective of Harold's character, the boar is binding his feet with his right hand as his left hand is between Harold's shoulders pinning Harold to the slab. Harold Wyck is unashamedly begging and pleading for life between sobs with appeals to the boar's vanity, greed, and finally to his sense of self-preservation with unambiguous threats to the boar's family should any harm befall him. The boar is reveling in Harold's begging. The two porky sentries each have a massive bow commensurate with their girth, and each has a long spear shoved into the ground beside them. The porker on the dais has a large pole arm spiked into the ground near his which is easily twice as high as he is tall. It's beaked business end looks stained black in the moonlight. All of them wear hard boiled leather tunics which hang loosely past their enormous bellies and down past their knobby, hairy knees. At the foot of the stairway to the dais stands a tortoise with a hefty-looking sword wrapped around his armor-hardened back. He looks to be directing this particular enterprise.

The tortoise calls out, up the stairs to Harold, "Tesska and Ortria know you for the charlatan you are, Harold Wyck! They will exact their price from you, and reward me for the execution of justice!" His reptilian features spread wide in a look of righteous delight. "Beg forgiveness, Harold! Repent your mockery of our arcane order! The Enchanted Skulls of Vanth will not hear you, but the craven pleas of charlatans like you are music to me!"
The bear watches his friends clamber up the ridge, wondering why no one wanted a lift. He's so distracted by this he suddenly finds himself above the treeline. The view is excellent. He observes the boars with their bows, the tortoise, and the drama within the stone hand and wonders what he ought to do. BOAR DOWN THERE. He thinks some more. ROK UP HERE. And a yet little more. HIDE.

He looks left and right, but sees no floating trees nearby. He wonders why, since trees would grow much better up here; closer to both rain and sunshine. It becomes clear to him that trees are not as smart as bears, which presents a problem at the present time.

Whittling 45% : 1d100: [78] = 78
Irok thinks back to what he's learned from whittling. CRACK! He realises the crack in his whittling project was not noticed at first, in fact he did not see it until he whittled truly deep into the wood. Then he noticed. The present situation was a lot like this. BOARS ARE CRACKS. Yes, the boars are the cracks, and the bear is the knife. So long as he remains above these boars, they won't see him. It makes sense to the bear, if no one else.

Irok attempts to tiptoe across the air, until he is directly over the hapless Crow in the Hand. He also draws his bow. Irok hopes these folk don't know whittling, or else they might think to look up.

Prowl 40%: 1d100: [22] = 22

Contingency: If Irok is spotted, he will rush Boar #1 with all of his considerable available speed.
Contingency: If Irok is not spotted, he will position himself and drop down to the left side of Boar #1, if possible cutting the Boar off from access to his polearm.

Irok will prefer to attack with a fist, but parries with a weapon. If the boar fights with a weapon, Irok will likewise escalate with a weapon. If possible Irok would love to knock the Boar right down the stairs, away from the tied up Crow.


Contingency: If Boar #1 goes down, Irok deals with the nasty Tortoise saying all the cruel crazy things.

Actions (5):
Initiative: 1d20: [19] = 19
Action 1: Will Smith Style Slap: 1d20+6: [14]+6 = 20 , Damage: 6d6+21: [5, 3, 4, 1, 3, 2]+21 = 39 and Irok mentally shouts a warcry SLAP THE HAM!
Action 2: Will Smith Style Slap: 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 , Damage: 6d6+21: [5, 2, 1, 2, 6, 5]+21 = 42 (CRITICAL FAIL) YOU!
Action 3: Will Smith Style Slap: 1d20+6: [15]+6 = 21 , Damage: 6d6+21: [6, 5, 5, 3, 1, 1]+21 = 42 BAD!
Action 4: Will Smith Style Slap: 1d20+6: [20]+6 = 26 , Damage: 6d6+21: [5, 4, 2, 3, 3, 5]+21 = 43 (CRITICAL SUCCESS) PIGGY!
Action 5: Reserved for Dodge 1d20+8: [15]+8 = 23

Parries:
OOC Comments
Apparently you can parry with a bow, if so it's +9, if not please note it ought to be +8.
1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24
1d20+9: [8]+9 = 17
1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23
1d20+9: [2]+9 = 11
1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25
Last edited by Irok on Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/19
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [10] = 10 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [2] = 2 ; 1d100: [28] = 28
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.


Prowl: EP Success

Birger doesn't like the odds, even if it doesn't seem that bad, so he does his best to hide. Once hidden from view, Birger slowly pulls out his bow and readies a war arrow. I'm not sure who's who in this fight, I'll assume old Harold there is the folk we're here to save. Birger thinks as he considers his targets. Three boars, seem to be hired muscle... the Tortoise seems to be in charge. Maybe leave him to the big guys. Birger thinks as he settles on his target Boar #3. Someone else needs to make the jump though, I'm not gonna be the guy starting a fight. Birger thinks.

Just in Case of Combat
Actions: 4
Initiative: 1d20: [13] = 13

Action One: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow at Boar#3 (Strike: 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [1, 5]+3 = 9 )
Action Two: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow at Boar#3 (Strike: 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [4, 4]+3 = 11 )
Action Three: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow at Boar#3 (Strike: 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [2, 5]+3 = 10 )
Action Four: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow at Boar#3 (Strike: 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [3, 1]+3 = 7 )

Contingency: If Boar #3 goes down, change to Boar #2.
If any of the Boars get too close, run to a new vantage point.

Parries (With Sword or Knife) as needed: 1d20+3: [19]+3 = 22 , 1d20+3: [7]+3 = 10 , 1d20+3: [2]+3 = 5 , 1d20+3: [17]+3 = 20 .
Dodges vs Ranged/Unparryable attacks: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11 , 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 .
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [1] = 1 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [12] = 12 ; 1d100: [65] = 65
Conditions: Danger Sense
Augur wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:19 am Two large boars are clearly on sentry duty and have turned to face the hill. The beady eyes of the sentries scan the night sky and treeline, but they clearly hadn't been paying attention. Harold the Palmist kneels before an altar atop a dais at the top of a short flight of stairs. There's a stained slab of stone before Harold, and another of the big, hairy porcine brutes looms over him, easily five times Harold's mass. Harold Wyck, as it turns out, is a member of the corvid family, likely a crow--they are, after all, reputed to be a mischievous lot. It's no wonder so many find their way into finance and as advisors to lords and nobles. Irrespective of Harold's character, the boar is binding his feet with his right hand as his left hand is between Harold's shoulders pinning Harold to the slab. Harold Wyck is unashamedly begging and pleading for life between sobs with appeals to the boar's vanity, greed, and finally to his sense of self-preservation with unambiguous threats to the boar's family should any harm befall him. The boar is reveling in Harold's begging. The two porky sentries each have a massive bow commensurate with their girth, and each has a long spear shoved into the ground beside them. The porker on the dais has a large pole arm spiked into the ground near his which is easily twice as high as he is tall. It's beaked business end looks stained black in the moonlight. All of them wear hard boiled leather tunics which hang loosely past their enormous bellies and down past their knobby, hairy knees. At the foot of the stairway to the dais stands a tortoise with a hefty-looking sword wrapped around his armor-hardened back. He looks to be directing this particular enterprise.

The tortoise calls out, up the stairs to Harold, "Tesska and Ortria know you for the charlatan you are, Harold Wyck! They will exact their price from you, and reward me for the execution of justice!" His reptilian features spread wide in a look of righteous delight. "Beg forgiveness, Harold! Repent your mockery of our arcane order! The Enchanted Skulls of Vanth will not hear you, but the craven pleas of charlatans like you are music to me!"
Seeing the sentries Pip attempts to hide from their sight. This looks more like revenge than justice. Pip readies his bow and draws a war arrow. Based on the nature of the bird's plees I am not sure there is an innocent party in this. But that does not justify murder.

Prowl: 1d100: [48] = 48 /34% (hide from the sentries)
Irok wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:33 am Irok attempts to tiptoe across the air, until he is directly over the hapless Crow in the Hand. He also draws his bow. Irok hopes these folk don't know whittling, or else they might think to look up.
Seeing Irok attempt to sneak above the Chiromancers, Pip is stuck by the cleverness of what the bear was attempting, though he is unsure if the bear knew it was clever or not. From his own experience in his youth, he knew people did not often look up of their own accord, useful for a small kit when he did not want to be found. Though, being in the middle of the air, if they do spot Irok, he is wide open.

Contingencies:

If it is clear that the sentries have seen him Pip will speak up to try and draw attention to himself and away from everyone else. "You sure this is justice? It looks more like revenge to me."

Interrogation: 1d100: [44] = 44 /49% (Find out more about what Harold did)



Actions: 4
Initiative: 1d20+3: [3]+3 = 6

Action 1: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow at Boar#2 (Strike: 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [1, 6]+3 = 10 )
Action 2: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow at Boar#2 (Strike: 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [6, 2]+3 = 11 )
Action 3: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow at Boar#2 (Strike: 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [5, 3]+3 = 11 )
Action 4: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow at Boar#2 (Strike: 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [3, 4]+3 = 10 )

Parries (With bow or knife) as needed: 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20 , 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 .
Dodges vs Ranged/Unparryable attacks: 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 .

Notes:
If Boar #2 goes down switch to Boar #3.
If Boar #3 goes down switch to Boar #1.
If any enemies get too close, run to a new vantage point.
If no new vantage points are available, switch to Survival Knife.
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Perception: 1d100: [26] = 26 / 15%
JIC: 1d100: [15] = 15 / 1d20: [15] = 15

Talkies: 1d100: [90] = 90 / 44%

Quetzal fiddles around with his bow and waits. It's boring. Nothing seems to be happening, although he can hear the sound of talking from over the hill.

He trusts that his friends and new vassals will let him know when it's time to pounce, since no screaming has started.

Once he sees Irok start descending below the level of the hill, Quetzal assumes it's combat time. He blasts up over the top of the hill, takes a second to determine what's going on and drops onto his prey, letting out a high-pitched, ululating warcry.

Initiative: 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17

COMBAT NOTES: Quetzal continues to fly while attacking. His ectoplasmic hands ignore armor and do damage direct to HP.

Action 1: Fly above hill, get bearings.
Action 2: Descend on the turtle, since it's the most heavily armored. Ectoplasmic Hand Strike: 1d20+3: [11]+3 = 14 / Damage: 1d4+11: [1]+11 = 12
Action 3: Ectoplasmic Hand Strike: 1d20+3: [18]+3 = 21 / Damage: 1d4+11: [3]+11 = 14
Action 4: Ectoplasmic Hand Strike: 1d20+3: [6]+3 = 9 / Damage: 1d4+11: [4]+11 = 15
Action 5: Ectoplasmic Hand Strike: 1d20+3: [3]+3 = 6 / Damage: 1d4+11: [3]+11 = 14

Auto-dodges: 1d20+7: [15]+7 = 22 , 1d20+7: [7]+7 = 14 , 1d20+7: [10]+7 = 17 , 1d20+7: [16]+7 = 23 , 1d20+7: [14]+7 = 21 , 1d20+7: [14]+7 = 21 , 1d20+7: [3]+7 = 10
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [3] = 3 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 / 1d100: [43] = 43
Conditions:
Invisible Haze
The character broadcasts a powerful hypnotic suggestion that basically says "you don't see me," to everyone within range. When triggered, the character will simply vanish from the point of view of everyone affected. Those who fail to save vs psionics can not see the character, even if they have psionic powers like See Invisible or See Aura. Attacks against invisible foes are -6 to strike, parry and dodge, and -6 on initiative. Since this is a psychic invisibility, whatever the character picks up, wears or carries also becomes invisible. Making a successful save vs psionics means seeing the character without any difficulty.
Skills:
Heraldry 1d100: [19] = 19 / 15%/20% (to maybe recognize who these guys are or who they might be working for by their items, or maybe recall information about the names Tesska and Ortria)
Ventriloquism 1d100: [20] = 20 / 16%

Hand of Vanth

From his vantage point at the top of the hill, Jesper looks down at the Hand of Vanth, Harold and the chiromancers. A shiver runs down his spine at the sight of the strange altar and the skulls cut into the stone nearby. We managed the bulls, he tells himself. The boars shouldn’t be too much of a hassle. The tortoise however… Jesper’s hand touches the hilt of Saffron and hopes he won’t lose another friend in all of this.

Feeling confident that he hasn’t been spotted yet, Jesper maneuvers down the hill as quietly as he can manage. He sneaks around to the giant stone thumb, then attempts to throw his voice to the pinky finger across the way. “The spirits demand you let him go,” Jes says in a deep voice that he hopes will travel the distance. If it doesn’t work, Jes prepares to move again, taking up a spot near the index finger.

In Jes is attacked, he will unleash Saffron (please see Invisible Haze details).

Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7
1. Strike: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage: 2d4+3: [1, 3]+3 = 7
2. Strike: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage: 2d4+3: [1, 4]+3 = 8
3. Strike: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage: 2d4+3: [4, 1]+3 = 8
4. Reserved for Dodge: 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9

Parries (just in case): 1d20-1: [3]-1 = 2 , 1d20-1: [9]-1 = 8 , 1d20-1: [5]-1 = 4 , and 1d20-1: [11]-1 = 10
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 5th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Fallwood
Environment: Light Forest, Night
Modifiers: No visual modifiers due to strange illumination


Quetzal bides him time on the other side of the hillock, listening intently for the call to battle. Irok remains unseen as a large brown splotch slowly moving through the night sky above the heads of everyone assembled. Birger hides as though the shadows of the night were but an extension of his own fur, worn to cover him for safety and comfort. Jesper slides beneath the perceptual faculties of everyone present as he hops down from the hill and bounds across the clearing in full sight of the boars and tortoise. Above him, Irok tiptoes on air, outlined by naught but moonlight and tinged a faint green from the unworldly glow about the ancient and legendary monument. Pip tries to hide but is spotted. He attempts to engage in verbal intercourse to either forestall the conflict or else cause the perpetrators to reconsider the moral framework surrounding their present endeavor. Such matters are well beneath the consideration of the porcine, brutish louts in the employ of the tortoise, however, and a whistling arrow plunks into a tree trunk near his shoulder in answer to his query.

Irok notes the action beginning far below. He's nearly sixty feet above the blossoming fracas and quite yet near the dais when the twang of a released bowstring notifies him that the others--Pip, it looks like--have instigated this fight before him. He ceases his skywalk and plummets half-on and half-off the big pig near the tortoise. The fall doesn't seem to do more to the pig-brute than knock him off balance for a moment, and his leather gets further torn on some sharp thing near the piggy, but Irok just rolls with this as best he can and rushes up the dais two stairs at a time, mentally roaring SLAP THE HAM!

Birger spots one of the porcine pugilists (#3) rushing from the east towards the tortoise. From the shadows he draws and releases an arrow into the leather jerkin of the rushing ruffian. His second shot from the shadows of the treeline punches into one of the warrior's calves mid-run and the arrow breaks off inside the warrior's leg as his swiftly contracting muscles snap the arrow. Birger's next two war arrows land wide of their target, but the warrior is bleeding from one leg and not running quite as swiftly as before.

Pip fires his bow at the Boar (#2) guarding the tortoise and manages to score a hit with his second arrow, his first missing and his third merely grazing the brute's leather, but is himself forced to dive for cover in the underbrush when the big guy returns accurate fire! He looks up from a face full of leaves and vines in time to see a fury of motion descending into that fracas centered around the porcine fighter he was shooting at.

Quetzal descends and twin, phantasmal limbs erupt from his sides as he begins to attack the tortoise who's more adept than his appearance would suggest. He wields the sword in his hands with an efficiency of motion, if not grace, and the two manage to land only one blow apiece upon their adversary. The tortoise manages a skilled remise which slips inside Queztal's guard and skewers him in a glancing fashion across his midsection. The blow landed by Queztal, on the other hand, elicits a gasp in response from the tortoise indicating real harm was experienced. The tortoise's eyes narrow in determination and with a new respect for his feathered foe.

Jesper sneaks around to the giant stone thumb, throwing his voice to the pinky finger across the way. “The spirits demand you let him go,” in a resonating tone uncharacteristic of his small stature. The porker rushing in from the east and the tortoise seem the only ones not so preoccupied as to take note. Each wastes a moment of their time looking at the stone pinky finger in confusion. The tortoise actually responds, "I have not spoken to you, and I heed no will but mine! It is YOU who will obey ME, not contrariwise!" The Tortoise shouts up at the dais, "Ignore the interlopers! Off with his hands! We must begin NOW!"

The porcine executioner hefts the business end of his heavy pole arm and brings it down with alacrity. There's an ear-piercing scream from Harold and the black bird goes limp. "Stupid bird. You moved." He calls down to the tortoise, "Clement, I only got one and he fainted. You wants his head instead of his..." The daft porker almost doesn't see what hits him as a brown ball of fur and claws rushes up the steps and smashes his with two devastating blows. He's so rocked by these blows that he doesn't notice the bear impale himself on the pig's polearm. That beaked end was pointy and sharp! Nor does he have time to take stock of the words assaulting his mind in a kind of staccato, laconic war cry.

The dim green glow of the area surges into more brilliant energy as the slab on the dais is made wet with Harold's blood. The candles lit in the eyes of the various skulls carved from stone around the area flare from wan yellow into an eerie green life, and the actual skulls ensconced within the fingers of the Hand of Vanth begin to glow with an inexplicable, pulsating energy that is terrifying to behold.

Save vs Horror Factor 14!
Vanth.jpg
What are your intentions?
Butcher's Bill
Birger:
Irok: Leather armor destroyed, -12 S.D.C.
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
Quetzalcoatl: -10 S.D.C.
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [44] = 44 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [7] = 7 ; 1d100: [2] = 2
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.


Save vs Horror Factor: 1d20: [9] = 9 vs. 14

Actions: 4
Initiative: 1d20: [2] = 2 Lost due to Failure of Save vs. Horror Factor

Action One: Lost due to Failure of Save vs. Horror Factor
Action Two: Fire Mechanical Bow w/ War Arrow at Boar #3. (Strike: 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [4, 5]+3 = 12 )
Action Three: Fire Mechanical Bow w/ Hunting Arrow at Boar #3: (Strike: 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 ; Damage: 2d6+1: [1, 3]+1 = 5 )
Action Four: Fire Mechanical Bow w/ Hunting Arrow at Boar #3: (Strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 ; Damage: 2d6+1: [4, 4]+1 = 9 )

Parries as needed: 1d20+3: [17]+3 = 20 , 1d20+3: [15]+3 = 18 , 1d20+3: [11]+3 = 14 , 1d20+3: [16]+3 = 19 .
Dodges vs Ranged/Unparryable attacks: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 , 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 .


Birger gulps hard at what is happening. What the heck is going on.... AHHHHHHHH!!!! Birger's rational mind not able to codify the events at all. Birger isn't sure if he is screaming or not, as the noise almost seems foreign to his ears. The seconds pass as Birger's brain finally catches up that he is in very real danger. Birger pulls his last War Arrow and fires it at the Boar guard he's already injured, before switching to his less powerful hunting arrows. Birger tries to breathe to calm his nerves as he fires his shots. "What do we do?" Birger yells out loud, but mentally knows he's not likely going to get a good answer.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [73] = 73 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [20] = 20 ; 1d100: [8] = 8
Conditions: Danger Sense

Save vs Horror Factor: 1d20: [10] = 10 vs 14

Wh...Wh...What? Pip's mind momentarily seizes up as an event transpires that he cannot comprehend. After a few seconds, he is able to shake himself out of his stupor. Every occurrence has an explanation. But no time for that now. He thinks as he draws his second-to-last war arrow.
Birger wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:56 pm "What do we do?" Birger yells out loud, but mentally knows he's not likely going to get a good answer.
Nothing to do but keep at it, I'll figure out what that was afterward! Pip yells back as he continues the attack.

Actions: 4
Initiative: 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11 Lost due to Failure of Save vs. Horror Factor

Action 1: Lost due to Failure of Save vs. Horror Factor
Action 2: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow at Boar#2 (Strike: 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [1, 2]+3 = 6 )
Action 3: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow at Boar#2 (Strike: 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [6, 4]+3 = 13 )
Action 4: Fire Mechanical Bow with Hunting Arrow at Boar#2 (Strike: 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 ; Damage: 2d6+1: [4, 6]+1 = 11 )

Parries (With bow or knife) as needed: 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 , 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20 , 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 .
Dodges vs Ranged/Unparryable attacks: 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 , 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 .

Notes:
If Boar #2 goes down switch to Boar #3.
If Boar #3 goes down switch to Boar #1.
If any enemies get too close, run to a new vantage point.
If no new vantage points are available, switch to Survival Knife.
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [81] = 81
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 / 1d100: [91] = 91
Conditions: None

Irok looks from the severed hand of the unconscious crow to the boar with the bloodied polearm. WHY CHOP HAND?! He fixes the boar with a steely gaze. The bear is dimly aware of his own wound, but it's the severed hand that holds his attention.
PUT. HAND. BACK. Irok's projected thought is icy and deadly. His dim wits are quite unaware of the impossibility of his request.
Augur wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:05 pm The dim green glow of the area surges into more brilliant energy as the slab on the dais is made wet with Harold's blood. The candles lit in the eyes of the various skulls carved from stone around the area flare from wan yellow into an eerie green life, and the actual skulls ensconced within the fingers of the Hand of Vanth begin to glow with an inexplicable, pulsating energy that is terrifying to behold.

Save vs Horror Factor 14!
Save vs Horror Factor: 1d20+5: [18]+5 = 23 vs. 14 (SUCCESS)
PRETTY LIGHT! The green light gives Irok a better view of his enemies. With a sidelong glance Irok sees the tortoise faces his hummingbird friend, and the other two boars are approaching. The bear knows better than to get between a bloodthirsty hummingbird and his dinner without being asked. But the boars are fair game. FIRST SAVE CROW. Rather than being disturbed by the supernatural life-glow about him, it is the cruelty done to the crow affects him. It ANGERS him. Irok snarls menacingly at the boar before him and moves faster than most would think possible.
Birger wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:56 pm "What do we do?" Birger yells out loud, but mentally knows he's not likely going to get a good answer.
ROK HELP CROW! Irok mentally shouts in reply. PIGGY CHOP HIM! The rest is the unintelligible mindless roar of battle RRAAAARRL!!


Contingency: If Boar #1 goes down, and no enemies are nearby or approaching the crow, Irok notches arrows and shoots at Boar #3 next; then #2. The tortoise Irok leaves to Quetzal, since he can't think of anything more terrifying than his hummingbird friend, nor as pathetic as a tortoise. Unless of course you believe those lying fairy-tales about hares and tortoises. Anyhow, if all the boars are down, Irok frees the crow and scoops him (and his severed hand) up and looks for one of his clever friends who know how to put hands back where they are supposed to be.

Actions (5):
OOC Comments
How much damage does an oversized bow do? I took the damage a staff would make (2d4) and added an extra die because Irok's bow follows oversized weapon rules. I've also tried to split attacks 2-5 into either contingency depending on whether Boar #1 nearby falls this round or not. First time doing this, so if you prefer another format let me know for future posts.
Initiative: 1d20: [20] = 20
Action 1: Bash with bow: 1d20+7: [20]+7 = 27 (CRIT SUCCESS), Damage: 3d4+21: [3, 2, 2]+21 = 28
Action 2:
  • Bash with bow: 1d20: [1] = 1 +7 = 8 (CRIT FAIL), Damage: 3d4+21: [2, 2, 1]+21 = 26
  • (or contingency shoot: 1d20+10: [5]+10 = 15 , Damage: 3d6+21: [2, 1, 4]+21 = 28 )
Action 3:
  • Bash with bow: 1d20+7: [16]+7 = 23 , Damage: 3d4+21: [1, 3, 2]+21 = 27
  • (or contingency shoot: 1d20+10: [16]+10 = 26 , Damage: 3d6+21: [3, 3, 5]+21 = 32 )
Action 4:
  • Bash with bow: 1d20+7: [11]+7 = 18 , Damage: 3d4+21: [4, 3, 2]+21 = 30
  • (or contingency shoot: 1d20+10: [12]+10 = 22 , Damage: 3d6+21: [5, 6, 6]+21 = 38 )
Action 5:
  • Bash with bow: 1d20+7: [2]+7 = 9 (CRIT FAIL), Damage: 3d4+21: [3, 2, 2]+21 = 28
  • (or contingency shoot: 1d20+10: [11]+10 = 21 , Damage: 3d6+21: [4, 3, 1]+21 = 29 )
Parries (Irok will also attempt to parry any attacks aimed at the Crow):
1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18
1d20+9: [20]+9 = 29
1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19
1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26
1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/19
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [76] = 76 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 / 1d100: [34] = 34
Conditions:
Invisible Haze
The character broadcasts a powerful hypnotic suggestion that basically says "you don't see me," to everyone within range. When triggered, the character will simply vanish from the point of view of everyone affected. Those who fail to save vs psionics can not see the character, even if they have psionic powers like See Invisible or See Aura. Attacks against invisible foes are -6 to strike, parry and dodge, and -6 on initiative. Since this is a psychic invisibility, whatever the character picks up, wears or carries also becomes invisible. Making a successful save vs psionics means seeing the character without any difficulty.
Save vs HF: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 14
Skills:
Ventriloquism 1d100: [11] = 11 / 16%

Hand of Vanth

“The spirits obey no mortal!” Jesper boldly declares, making the attempt to throw his voice to the pinky again. As if in response, Jes suddenly feels the weight of the glowing green eyes in each of the surrounding skulls. The fur at the back of his neck stands to attention as he forces his gaze downward.. Probably right about the spirits! he thinks, his feet urging him to dash out of this dangerous situation. Instead of running to safety, Jes ignores his flight response and climbs up to the dais, joining the rather large boar and bear in the midst of their duel. “Irok, fly the palmist to safety,” Jesper instructs. Drawing Saffron, an invisible Jesper prepares to finish the boar.

Actions (4):
Initiative: 0, Failed HF
1. Ventriloquy attempt, see roll above
2. Stunned by the glowing skulls
3. Run to the top of the dais
4. Instruct Irok to get Harold to safety whilst drawing Saffron
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 5th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Fallwood
Environment: Light Forest, Night
Modifiers: No visual modifiers due to strange illumination


Irok bashes the boar across the neck with a savage backhand strike with his bow, sending the bog brute flying off the dais and landing in a crumpled heap below. He then turns and fires on the boar rushing to attacking Quetzal. Jesper throws his voice “The spirits obey no mortal!” The tortoise visibly blanches at this and, after a moment's hesitation observing the eerie glow & discomfiting throb of color, Jesper dashes to the top of the dais. “Irok, fly the palmist to safety,” Jesper instructs. Drawing Saffron, Jesper, still psychically invisible, prepares to eliminate anyone who dares surmount the dais.After recovering from his fright at the sight of the green blight in the dark of night, Pip alights two arrows into the backside of the bright-boy in a fight with Quetzal. Birger quickly recovers his wits and dumps three arrows into the side of the boar rushing to join the fracas. His arrows are joined with Irok's own trio, and the boar falls heavily to the ground looking like a pincushion with the six arrows protruding from both of his sides as he lay face-down in the dewy grass of the clearing. A few blows rain down on him when Quetzal gets a face full of some brilliant white light that dazzles and delays him long enough for the tortoise to...vanish. When his eyes recover from the brilliant flash a few moments later, the tortoise is nowhere to be seen by anyone. A pincushion of a boar rests close to Quetzal's position face down and still, blood beginning to pool all around him, the crumpled figure of a bleeding pig fighter rests against one side of the dais, and the sole remaining piggy pugilist is precipitously punctuating the pall of the night with his fleeing hoof strikes in flight.

Harold staggers back into the Irok's warm fur and shudders, his black feathers quivering under the peculiar green glow. He's clutching his missing hand and clearly in a state of shock. Each of the five skulls inset into the fingers somehow exude a sense of anticipation as though awaiting something. The throbbing green glow seems to practically hold its breath waiting for whatever's supposed to come next.
Vanth.jpg
What are your intentions?
Butcher's Bill
Birger:
Irok: Leather armor destroyed, -12 S.D.C.
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
Quetzalcoatl: -32 S.D.C.
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [67] = 67 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [14] = 14 ; 1d100: [53] = 53
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.


Paramedical 1d100: [13] = 13 /59% (Bind Harold's bleeding stump.)

Birger sees the battle wrap up far quicker than he thought. Birger also knows that the person this group was trying to save is currently wounded. So Birger quickly makes his way down and rushes to the altar. "Irok, let me see him so I can keep him from bleeding out." Birger says as he looks over Harold to tear his shirt to start binding the crow's wounds. This looks bad. Birger thinks as he tries to work with the little he has.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [46] = 46
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [84] = 84
Conditions: None
Augur wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:51 am Harold staggers back into the Irok's warm fur and shudders, his black feathers quivering under the peculiar green glow. He's clutching his missing hand and clearly in a state of shock. Each of the five skulls inset into the fingers somehow exude a sense of anticipation as though awaiting something. The throbbing green glow seems to practically hold its breath waiting for whatever's supposed to come next.
Jesper wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:07 am “Irok, fly the palmist to safety,” Jesper instructs.
With the porkers down Irok tenderly scoops Harold into his thick fuzzy arms, and takes a couple steps off the altar into the air as instructed. He pats Harold lightly on the head with a finger as delicately as he can.
Birger wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:58 pm "Irok, let me see him so I can keep him from bleeding out." Birger says as he looks over Harold to tear his shirt to start binding the crow's wounds. This looks bad. Birger thinks as he tries to work with the little he has.
The bear looks about and spots Birger hurrying to him. He descends to the ground and meets Birger halfway; away from the altar. To Harold his mental voice is surprisingly soft YOU SAFE. I ROCK GOT YOU. He holds Harold protectively and won't lie him on the cold ground. Instead he holds out the bird in his hands, giving Birger a good view of the wounded bird as well as room to work.

PUT HAND BACK? he asks Birger hopefully.

He looks around to the direction the last boar staggered off, then gives a questioning look to any nearby. FOLLOW BOAR HOME?
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/19
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [59] = 59 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [14] = 14 ; 1d100: [53] = 53
Conditions: Danger Sense
Augur wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:51 am A few blows rain down on him when Quetzal gets a face full of some brilliant white light that dazzles and delays him long enough for the tortoise to...vanish. When his eyes recover from the brilliant flash a few moments later, the tortoise is nowhere to be seen by anyone. A pincushion of a boar rests close to Quetzal's position face down and still, blood beginning to pool all around him, the crumpled figure of a bleeding pig fighter rests against one side of the dais, and the sole remaining piggy pugilist is precipitously punctuating the pall of the night with his fleeing hoof strikes in flight.

Harold staggers back into the Irok's warm fur and shudders, his black feathers quivering under the peculiar green glow. He's clutching his missing hand and clearly in a state of shock. Each of the five skulls inset into the fingers somehow exude a sense of anticipation as though awaiting something. The throbbing green glow seems to practically hold its breath waiting for whatever's supposed to come next.
What was that? A white flash and he was gone... Whatever the case, It would be foolish of him to stick around with his guards dead or fleeing. Pip thinks to himself as he scrabbles down the hillock. All in all, that went relatively well. Even if the rescue target got injured.

Chemistry: 1d100: [24] = 24 /59% (Determine if the flash was chemical in nature)
Chemistry: Analytical: 1d100: [14] = 14 /49% (Determine if the flash was chemical in nature)
Birger wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:58 pm Birger sees the battle wrap up far quicker than he thought. Birger also knows that the person this group was trying to save is currently wounded. So Birger quickly makes his way down and rushes to the altar. "Irok, let me see him so I can keep him from bleeding out." Birger says as he looks over Harold to tear his shirt to start binding the crow's wounds. This looks bad. Birger thinks as he tries to work with the little he has.
Seeing how Birger is taking care of the Palmist, and that his skills in medicine exceed his own, Pip busies himself retrieving the arrows used in the fight.
Irok wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:06 pm The bear looks about and spots Birger hurrying to him. He descends to the ground and meets Birger halfway; away from the altar. To Harold his mental voice is surprisingly soft YOU SAFE. I ROCK GOT YOU. He holds Harold protectively and won't lie him on the cold ground. Instead he holds out the bird in his hands, giving Birger a good view of the wounded bird as well as room to work.

PUT HAND BACK? he asks Birger hopefully.

He looks around to the direction the last boar staggered off, then gives a questioning look to any nearby. FOLLOW BOAR HOME?
Pip looks over from his task at Irok's questions. "I don't think so, the boars were just muscle. That tortoise, Clement was it? Was the leader. And it seems he has escaped. As for the bird's hand... bodies are very complex, I don't think there is anyone alive that knows how to reattach a limb." Though I bet ancient humans did...

After collecting the arrows and returning them to their owners. Pip will proceed to inspect the Hand, running his own sensitive hands over the stone to get a better feel for the truth. "So this is the Hand of Vanth... If this was originally part of a statue it would have been massive. Now, let's see what is really going on here." This glowing is definitely eerie. What were those scents Birger mentioned? A musky, spoiled odor. And a scent like lavender and white-hot metal. Do those have anything to do with it?

Mathematics: Basic: 1d100: [91] = 91 /88% (Estimate the size of the statue the hand could have come from)
Mathematics: Advanced: 1d100: [46] = 46 /59% (Estimate the size of the statue the hand could have come from)
Masonry: 1d100: [94] = 94 /54% (inspect the stone of the Hand of Vanth and the dais)
Antiquarian: 1d100: [60] = 60 /49% (inspect the Hand of Vanth and the dais)
Archaeology: 1d100: [20] = 20 /29% (inspect the Hand of Vanth and the dais)
Chemistry: 1d100: [91] = 91 /59% (inspect the glowing and the flames of the Hand of Vanth)
Chemistry: Analytical: 1d100: [34] = 34 /49% (inspect the glowing and the flames of the Hand of Vanth)
History: 1d100: [99] = 99 /49% (inspect the Hand of Vanth for historically identifying marks)
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [60] = 60 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [7] = 7
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:
Detect Concealment & Traps: 1d100: [60] = 60 / 25% (to help Jes locate the tortoise)

Hand of Vanth

Hell’s bells! Where did he go? An invisible Jesper suspects Clement shares his talent for hiding. He creeps down to the bottom of the dias, Saffron still drawn. Jes’ ears move about hoping to pick up the sounds of the tortoise fleeing the Hand. This would be easier if I were on my own, he mentally complains, looking over his shoulder at his companions conversing with each other. Even as he thinks it, Jes knows how dangerous it can be to travel alone. Jesper waits for a moment, still hoping to pick up on the tortoise’s movements.

Assuming Jesper isn’t able to follow Clement, he lets out a sigh and allows himself to be seen again. He keeps his guard up and Saffron in his hand. Looking up to the top of the dias, he asks, “Is Harold okay?” He then addresses Pip’s thoughts with, “I put the fear of the spirits into the tortoise with my bluff.” Jes observes the eerie green glow of the hand and adds, “Do you suppose the spirits are real? They seem to be waiting for something.”

Parries (just in case): 1d20-1: [20]-1 = 19 , 1d20-1: [17]-1 = 16 , 1d20-1: [1]-1 = 0 , and 1d20-1: [4]-1 = 3
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Quetzalcoatl
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Perception: 1d100: [31] = 31 / 15%
JIC: 1d100: [72] = 72 / 1d20: [4] = 4

Talkies: 1d100: [69] = 69 / 44%

Quetzal shakes himself out and looks around the battlefield, searching for his opponent. Seeing no one and fighting the glare still interfering with his vision, he shoots straight up in the air 50 feet to see if he can catch a glimpse of the now-departed tortoise.

I should've lifted him straight up and dropped him. It's the easiest way to crack turtles.

Once he's convinced that the tortoise is truly disappeared, he lands again and looks at the raven's missing hand stub. "Baaaad."

I wonder if someone can produce a miracle and reattach that. I'd hate to lose a wing. UGH, terrifying.

He then kicks one of the dead boars and points at the Hand of Vanth with his beak. "Twoooo haaands?"
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

((Rolls carried))
Quetzalcoatl wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:46 pm He then kicks one of the dead boars and points at the Hand of Vanth with his beak. "Twoooo haaands?"
Irok, still holding Harold in his arms, looks up at Quetzal thoughtfully. He sees the two fallen boars and counts carefully. ONE THREE then looks at the hands of the second fallen boar. TWO FOUR

He hesitates, and decides when counting so high a recount in in order.

ONE TWO FOUR THREE

Satisfied, he looks at his avian friend THREE HANDS, TWO BOARS. The bear turns back to Harold in his arms, his gaze returning to the bloodied stump. HANDS. A flicker of anger returns when thinking of what the boars did to his new friend Harold.

He asks Quetzal for advice, certain that he'd know what to do. CHOP BOAR HANDS? PUNISH?
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/19
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 5th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: Fallwood
Environment: Light Forest, Night
Modifiers: No visual modifiers due to strange illumination


Birger quickly cleans, wraps, and compresses Harold's bleeding stump, staunching the blood flow until it's barely worse than a gentle seeping wound. The bandage will need to be changed frequently in the first week, and with clean cloth no less, but it looks to have been cleanly severed at a joint, and so trauma to Harold's delicate bones is at a minimum. Harold's hand rests still on the altar in a pool of his blood, a single black feather resting beside it in the sticky mess. The nearby skulls seem to look like they're waiting for something, anticipating some thing, event, or interaction. (Good perception)

Pip investigates the ground where the tortoise stood just moments before but sees no residue of explosion, evaporation, or any other indication of a chemical answer to the tortoise's sudden disappearance. He then carefully considers the scale of the hand and how large the statue must be beneath it, if indeed there is a larger statue buried here. Each finger stands roughly ten feet tall, putting a hand at roughly twenty feet, and extrapolating basic proportions from that...His mind boggles at the scale. If there's a statue below them, it would be easily over a hundred feet in height. Pip collects what arrows he can and returns them to their owners. He then inspects the Hand of Vanth and the dais and quickly surmises these to be of a human origin, or at least this is probable. The fingers of the hand bear no minor aesthetic variations as can often be seen among the hands of uplifted Folk. Taking a closer look at the glowing light emanating from the green "flames" around each skull, it's readily apparent that there's no fuel source for such flames, and that the "flames" emit no detectable heat. What's more, upon approaching a skull, the intensity of its light increases in inverse proportion to one's distance from it. He experiments and discovers this holds true for every one of the skulls. He can recall, however, no further historical information about this site beyond the legends already shared.

Jesper lets out a sigh and reappears. He still has Saffron in his hand, and looks to be on his guard. The tortoise didn't slip away via some hidden trap door or anything. He just vanished as inexplicable as that might seem. Jesper asks after Harold's condition before addressing Pip. “I put the fear of the spirits into the tortoise with my bluff.” He then asks no one in particular, “Do you suppose the spirits are real? They seem to be waiting for something.”

Quetzalcoatl sees no indication of the tortoise from the air and so descends once more. He notes Harold's structural makeup. The lovely black plumage of his wings have fully articulated hands at the ends of of each of them, but the wings are not distinct appendages apart from the arms. Also, Harold lacks the power shoulders, back, and chest musculature necessary for useful wings indicating that he was a flightless avian in name and biology only.

Irok, meanwhile, seeks counsel from Quetzal as he mentally struggles for direction. Harold thanks Irok, then gets to his feet after Birger's finished bandaging his stump. He braces himself on Irok to steady himself. "I'm sorry, still a bit shaky." He looks around, "Thank you for saving my life. I have little doubt that my second hand would have followed and they would have let me bleed to death after. I'll be happy to return home and never visit these accursed ruins again."

Kaster trundles into sight with a lead in his teeth, guiding the mule-drawn wagon, while himself shouldering the handles for his own cart. Staking the mule's lead off near the pinky finger statue, he rejoins the others within the "palm" of the hand around the central dais.


What are your intentions?
Butcher's Bill
Birger:
Irok: Leather armor destroyed, -12 S.D.C.
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
Quetzalcoatl: -32 S.D.C.
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [64] = 64 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [96] = 96
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:
Invoke Trust: 1d100: [45] = 45 / 60%

Hand of Vanth

Jesper tears his attention away from the glowing spirits and turns to face Birger and Harold. With an untrained eye, he looks over the crow’s bandages and deems them to be adequate. “Thank you,” Jes tells Birger. His eyes wander to the blood and feathers at the altar, and he adds, “He was quite lucky you joined our party.” Looking back up to the crow, Jesper introduces himself. “Harold Wyck, I’m Jesper Brambleborn. We’ve been sent to rescue you. Shall we find a place to rest before we make the trek back to Kingsalter? Can you tell me why the chiromancers wanted more than just your hand? Why did they bring you here?” With his free hand, Jesper indicates the Hand of Vanth still glowing around them. Maybe he knows something of these spirits...
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Irok
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Episode 1: The Hand of Vanth

Post by Irok »

Perception: 8% / 1d100: [14] = 14
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [54] = 54
Conditions:
A mutant with Telepathic Listening can "hear" what a person is thinking. This is done by focusing on one person and picking up on his or her surface thoughts.


Irok grunts, his ursine face set in an expression of profound approval as Birger bandages Harold's bleeding stump. He steadies Harold with a meaty paw and stays close. BAD BOARS. VERY BAD. Irok focuses his senses on reading Harold's surface thoughts and wonders about the vanished tortoise; mostly about cracking tortoise shells with a single mighty punch.

Basking in the glow of green flames, the bear looks constantly for a boar or deranged tortoise that might suddenly appear and assault his new friend Harold.

HAROLD SAFE Irok gently pats Harold's head reassuringly.
Irok
"ROK LOVE FISH." -IЯOK

H.P.: 23/23
S.D.C.: 93/93
Armor Worn Studded Leather Armor (Full)
  • A.R.: 13
  • S.D.C.: 58/19
Post Reply

Return to “A Tale of Tails (ATB Adventure Forum)”