Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

After the Bomb adventure forum
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5645
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 16th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Afternoon
Location: The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge
Environment: Wilderness, on the road


Jesper, inspecting the sturdy Cumberbridge that crosses this somewhat narrow (only about fifty feet across) and swift moving length of the River Tayth, finds nothing amiss with it, nor anything suspicious about it. Similarly, Pip sees nothing wrong with the construction of the bridge either; the stone piers and pile caps are as seemingly eternal as the river itself, and far less changing. The old adage about not being able to step into the same river twice crosses Pip's mind and brings him some small measure of intellectual amusement. The Cumberbridge is about forty feet high off the water, and broad enough to handle three wagons abreast at the same time. The River Tayth moving swiftly through the stretch east of Kingsalter has cut a deep ravine with steep sides in certain areas, this crossing point being one of them. Like any bridge on a major travel route, it serves two primary functions: to facilitate commerce & troop movements. While it has been generations since the last armies of undulates marched under banners of war, the Cumberbridge remains ready to support the armies of Kingsalter in just such a capacity should the need arise. Kaster and the rest banter back and forth with Kaster translating for Eugene to facilitate conversation among the group. Birger maintains the privacy of his own thoughts as he navigates and helps drive the team to their next destination. The wagon and cart are well laden with both provisions and trade goods which is both a potential blessing--in that they should be able to make a tidy little profit in trading finished products from Kingsalter with the villagers abroad who have less access to such things, and also a risk--in that a well laden wagon is a ripe target for bandits. With bandits on his mind, it's Birger who's the first to spot the wagon approaching from the other side of the bridge. There appears to be two folk aboard, both rodents of some kind--mice, perhaps? It's hard to tell for sure at a distance. One thing is for certain, they and the wagon look to be in terrible shape. There are smeared patches of blood across the long, heavy skirt of the female walking on the left side of the wagon, and the man driving the simple ox that's pulling the wagon has a pant leg torn up to his hip, and that leg is splinted. The wagon looks in disrepair, and a youth--most likely the couple's son--is trying to secure a ragged flap on the wagon's cover from the roadside as they approach the bridge. The boy, at least, doesn't have blood stains on his ragged clothes, but does look a bit skittish and like he and the rest of his family could use some rest.

What are your intentions?

Image
Birger:
Eugene:
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Eugene
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Eugene »

Perception: 50% / 1d100<20: [61] = 0
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 | 1d100: [36] = 36
Status: S.D.C.: 127/127 | Shield 157/157 , H.P.: 23/23
Conditions: Advanced Hearing, Advanced Smell, Advanced Sight
Coma/Death: +14%, Magic (varies): +4 Lethal Poison (14+): +4, Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4, Insanity (12+): +2, Psionics (10+): +2, Horror: +0

Eugene is listening to Pip, Jesper and Kaster discuss the history of the bridge. Despite his keen Senses he doesn't notice Birger's attention be grasped by the scene on the bridge still facing his three new friends. He is fascinated by the story and information being shared. (If someone points out the scene on the bridge, as soon as he sees the condition of their cart and blood, he will open up empathically to get a sense of the emotions of the people approaching. This is not something he does with intent. This always seems to happen when people are angry or seem to be injured or distressed. He has always for some reason been able to do this and it allows him to sus out the needs of others and help them when he can.)
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [90] = 90 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [10] = 10 ; 1d100: [38] = 38
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.


Before the bridge

Birger digs in his satchel and pulls a folded piece of cloth. "Jesper, here. I know it's not the on you lost, but at least you can have a new one." Birger says as he tosses the folded scarf to the rabbit.

Current Time

Birger eyes the oncoming cart and sighs. "Seems to be the state of things, likely attacked by wild beasts or bandits. We should offer them aid if possible." Birger says as he slows his cart to a halt. Hopping down from his seat, Birger gives Kiri a pat before waving at the disheveled newcomers.

"You folk seem to have been in a pickle, do you need any assistance?" Birger says aloud to the other cart.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [50] = 50 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [5] = 5 ; 1d100: [60] = 60
Conditions: Danger Sense
Augur wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:44 pm With bandits on his mind, it's Birger who's the first to spot the wagon approaching from the other side of the bridge. There appears to be two folk aboard, both rodents of some kind--mice, perhaps? It's hard to tell for sure at a distance. One thing is for certain, they and the wagon look to be in terrible shape. There are smeared patches of blood across the long, heavy skirt of the female walking on the left side of the wagon, and the man driving the simple ox that's pulling the wagon has a pant leg torn up to his hip, and that leg is splinted. The wagon looks in disrepair, and a youth--most likely the couple's son--is trying to secure a ragged flap on the wagon's cover from the roadside as they approach the bridge. The boy, at least, doesn't have blood stains on his ragged clothes, but does look a bit skittish and like he and the rest of his family could use some rest.
Birger wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:26 am Birger eyes the oncoming cart and sighs. "Seems to be the state of things, likely attacked by wild beasts or bandits. We should offer them aid if possible." Birger says as he slows his cart to a halt. Hopping down from his seat, Birger gives Kiri a pat before waving at the disheveled newcomers.

"You folk seem to have been in a pickle, do you need any assistance?" Birger says aloud to the other cart.
This is a little too close to the adage of 'Speak of an Adversary' for my liking. Pip thinks when Birger draws the group's attention to the approaching wagon. "Agreed." He voices when offering aid is proposed.

"Indeed. Do you need aid?" He calls out to the other cart. "What trouble befell you?" He will ask other questions to try and determine what happened and if there is aid they need that they are not speaking about.

Interrogation: 1d100: [70] = 70 /49% (question the Folk with the other cart)
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [76] = 76 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 / 1d100: [89] = 89
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:
Detect Concealment & Traps: 1d100: [97] = 97 / 25% (to maybe spot some of the cargo)
Heraldry: 1d100: [21] = 21 / 15% (to maybe identify the mice)
Also, Jes has a 25% chance of recognizing any bandits who are in disguise, hiding, or "retired," from their days on the run. 1d100: [22] = 22 / 25%
Birger wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:26 am Before the bridge

Birger digs in his satchel and pulls a folded piece of cloth. "Jesper, here. I know it's not the on you lost, but at least you can have a new one." Birger says as he tosses the folded scarf to the rabbit.
Reaching out a hand, Jesper catches the bundled scarf. It takes him a moment to realize what it is exactly, but once he does, his mouth turns up in a grin. “Thank you,” Jes says to Birger, clearly surprised and impressed. “This means the world to me.” While the new scarf doesn’t quite replace the one he’s lost, Jes once again finds himself lucky to be with this group of friends. The rabbit wastes no time at all looping the gift around his neck.

The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge
Birger wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:26 am"Seems to be the state of things, likely attacked by wild beasts or bandits. We should offer them aid if possible."
When they are pointed out, Jesper takes a good long look at the family approaching them. They do appear to have seen better days, but bandits? Jesper’s eyes inspect the three mice and their cart. What are they carting around? He hangs back a bit from the others, attempting to glean information.

Parries (just in case): 1d20-1: [11]-1 = 10 , 1d20-1: [12]-1 = 11 , 1d20-1: [10]-1 = 9 , and 1d20-1: [2]-1 = 1
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [11] = 11
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 1d100: [48] = 48

Sign Language 33%= 1d100: [77] = 77

Kaster looks on at the mice in the wagon, These Folk seem to have run into some trouble, but they've still got their wagon. So its not all bad.
He hurries and tries to get his cart across the bridge before they come to pass the mice. He glances to Birger, wondering if the other trader will want to do the same and not get stuck on the bridge.

The mice having already been asked about their condition, Kaster keeps his mouth shut and his ears open. Listening for anything that may be important. For now Kaster stays by his cart and watches over his goods.
Last edited by Kaster on Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5645
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 16th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Afternoon
Location: The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge
Environment: Wilderness, on the road


Eugene can sense that the people approaching from the other side are grieving, beleaguered, and emotionally numb and exhausted in addition to being physically fatigued and injured. Jesper notes that none of the travelers appear to be bandits in disguise, or those he'd known from years prior. Jesper hangs back a bit from the others as the two carts parties come abreast of one another on the bridge. Birger and Pip speak up as they near the strangers. While everyone hears the exchanges, it is only Kaster who's attentive enough to pick up on the subtle nuances exhibited by the travelers.
Birger wrote:"You folk seem to have been in a pickle, do you need any assistance?" Birger says aloud to the other cart.
Pip wrote:"Indeed. Do you need aid? What trouble befell you?"
The mouse driving the cart is bolder than the rest and speaks up, "Assistance? No, we can manage, strangers, thank you. Though I should add we've nothing of value." He pauses for a moment as he apparently considers the other questions. "If I were you, I'd cut over and across the Hevenward Hills. The giant ants near the Buzzard Hills have been agitated by something. We barely made it past their hive with our lives. I'm afraid the family who were traveling with us in their own wagon were killed."

The woman walking beside their wagon shakes her head. "We don't know that," she looks to her husband reprovingly, "you don't know that, Sam! We rode hard and didn't look back. They could have escaped. Maybe turned and fled back the way we came. The Tooks are rats, not fools. They wouldn't have stayed to fight giant, aggressive ants." Her hands are on her hips as she says this.

Meanwhile, their son appears to be studiously avoiding taking part in the discussion and is instead focused on his task--looks like a broken tie-down for the wagon cover, or else the stiff breeze across the bridge is making it difficult for him to secure the cover. Kaster gathers from all he's seeing that the man is clearly putting up a strong facade out of pride. The family doesn't look to have eaten recently, the man is clearly injured and perhaps the woman as well, and the boy is clearly emotionally disturbed by what they've experienced even more than his parents.

What are your intentions?

Image
Birger:
Eugene:
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [27] = 27 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [1] = 1 ; 1d100: [55] = 55
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.

Wagon Driver wrote:"Assistance? No, we can manage, strangers, thank you. Though I should add we've nothing of value... If I were you, I'd cut over and across the Hevenward Hills. The giant ants near the Buzzard Hills have been agitated by something. We barely made it past their hive with our lives. I'm afraid the family who were traveling with us in their own wagon were killed."
Birger nods at the statement.
Driver's Wife wrote:"We don't know that,.. you don't know that, Sam! We rode hard and didn't look back. They could have escaped. Maybe turned and fled back the way we came. The Tooks are rats, not fools. They wouldn't have stayed to fight giant, aggressive ants."
Again Birger nods. "My good folk, I am sorry you've been through such a harrowing experience. Again I offer assistance, your wagon looks in need of some maintenance, and I am more than willing to help you. I'm not looking for compensation, just doing a good deed is all. Besides from the looks of it, you could likely do for the rest." Birger says as he climbs down from his own cart.

If the travelers refuse.

Birger nods. "I understand. I can at least tell you the road from here to Kingsalter is clear of troubles since we passed it." Birger says as he moves back to his cart and climbs back onboard.

If the travelers agree.

General Repair & Maintenance 1d100: [14] = 14 54% - 64% with tool kit. (To preform maintenance on the stranger's wagon.)

Birger nods. "Excellent, let me grab my tools and see what can be done to keep your wagon running a bit longer." Birger says as he grabs his tool bag and approaches the wagon to see if he can at the very least effect some temporary repairs to keep them running.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Eugene
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Eugene »

Perception: 50% / 1d100<20: [60] = 0
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 | 1d100: [98] = 98
Status: S.D.C.: 127/127 | Shield 157/157 , H.P.: 23/23
Conditions: Advanced Hearing, Advanced Smell, Advanced Sight
Coma/Death: +14%, Magic (varies): +4 Lethal Poison (14+): +4, Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4, Insanity (12+): +2, Psionics (10+): +2, Horror: +0

Augur wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:06 pm Conditions:
Date/Time: July 16th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Afternoon
Location: The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge
Environment: Wilderness, on the road


Eugene can sense that the people approaching from the other side are grieving, beleaguered, and emotionally numb and exhausted in addition to being physically fatigued and injured. Jesper notes that none of the travelers appear to be bandits in disguise, or those he'd known from years prior. Jesper hangs back a bit from the others as the two carts parties come abreast of one another on the bridge. Birger and Pip speak up as they near the strangers. While everyone hears the exchanges, it is only Kaster who's attentive enough to pick up on the subtle nuances exhibited by the travelers.
Sensing their emotions, Eugene thinks, It is best to not belabor them with translation so I will remain silent. They do not need more stress. My compatriots are nice and very capable I will just assist them in any way I can.
Birger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:46 pm
Again Birger nods. "My good folk, I am sorry you've been through such a harrowing experience. Again I offer assistance, your wagon looks in need of some maintenance, and I am more than willing to help you. I'm not looking for compensation, just doing a good deed is all. Besides from the looks of it, you could likely do for the rest." Birger says as he climbs down from his own cart.

If the travelers refuse.

Birger nods. "I understand. I can at least tell you the road from here to Kingsalter is clear of troubles since we passed it." Birger says as he moves back to his cart and climbs back onboard.
Eugene will smile and wave farewell to the travelers. He wishes to offer them food but has nothing that would interest them. He makes a mental not to pick up some hard candies or something that will keep and would delight people they encounter. Hopefully raise spirits in future encounters.
Birger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:46 pm If the travelers agree.

General Repair & Maintenance 1d100: [14] = 14 54% - 64% with tool kit. (To preform maintenance on the stranger's wagon.)

Birger nods. "Excellent, let me grab my tools and see what can be done to keep your wagon running a bit longer." Birger says as he grabs his tool bag and approaches the wagon to see if he can at the very least effect some temporary repairs to keep them running.
He will assist Birger anyway necessary including holding the cart up if needed. it will be noticeable that he is very strong. He is able to easily lift the cart with one arm with no strain. He wishes to offer them food but has nothing that would interest them. He makes a mental note to pick up some hard candies or something that will keep and would delight people they encounter. Hopefully raise the spirits of people in future encounters.

After they have set off he will wave and then transition to signing to Pip and Kaster. "I am new to the group, but I think we should see if those other folks are alright and maybe deal with those ants so that the road will be safe for travel. But you have traveled for some time and I will defer to your wisdom."
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [26] = 26 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [4] = 4 ; 1d100: [20] = 20
Conditions:
The character can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
The ability to see at night. There must be starlight or some other light source available to the character; 1000 foot (305 m) range/distance. If the character is in a completely blacked-out area, a cave, for example, then nothing will be visible; is as blind as anyone else.
,
The character has the ability to hear very faint sounds (light footsteps, small animals breathing). The character can also overhear a conversation at a much greater distance than is normally possible. + I on initiative.
,
The character has an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Range: 90 feet (27.4 m) or self.
Duration: Four melee rounds (one minute).
Minimum M.E.: None. Not available to Mutant Humans.
Saving Throw: None.
Cost: 10 BIO-E.
The Danger Sense is a psychic intuition that provides a precognitive flash concerning imminent danger to himself or someone near him (within 30 feet/9.1 m). This includes hidden ambush, snipers, traps, a predatory animal stalking from the shadows, a poisonous snake, land mine, or dangerous situations (bridge can not support his weight, etc.). Danger Sense does not indicate what or where the danger might be, just that it exists and is imminent. Ultimately, it should put the character on alert that something is wrong and he must be careful and ready to act quickly (+2 on initiative to respond to the threat, + I to dodge). Note: The character must specify when the power is being used. It does not work automatically.

Augur wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:06 pm Birger and Pip speak up as they near the strangers. While everyone hears the exchanges, it is only Kaster who's attentive enough to pick up on the subtle nuances exhibited by the travelers.
Birger wrote: "You folk seem to have been in a pickle, do you need any assistance?" Birger says aloud to the other cart.
Pip wrote: "Indeed. Do you need aid? What trouble befell you?"
The mouse driving the cart is bolder than the rest and speaks up, "Assistance? No, we can manage, strangers, thank you. Though I should add we've nothing of value." He pauses for a moment as he apparently considers the other questions. "If I were you, I'd cut over and across the Hevenward Hills. The giant ants near the Buzzard Hills have been agitated by something. We barely made it past their hive with our lives. I'm afraid the family who were traveling with us in their own wagon were killed."
Birger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:46 pm Birger nods at the statement.
Seams my concerns about the insects were well founded. Pip muses to himself.
Augur wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:06 pm The woman walking beside their wagon shakes her head. "We don't know that," she looks to her husband reprovingly, "you don't know that, Sam! We rode hard and didn't look back. They could have escaped. Maybe turned and fled back the way we came. The Tooks are rats, not fools. They wouldn't have stayed to fight giant, aggressive ants." Her hands are on her hips as she says this.

Meanwhile, their son appears to be studiously avoiding taking part in the discussion and is instead focused on his task--looks like a broken tie-down for the wagon cover, or else the stiff breeze across the bridge is making it difficult for him to secure the cover. Kaster gathers from all he's seeing that the man is clearly putting up a strong facade out of pride. The family doesn't look to have eaten recently, the man is clearly injured and perhaps the woman as well, and the boy is clearly emotionally disturbed by what they've experienced even more than his parents.
OOC Comments
GM confirmed in chat that the things Kester noticed are raw perception success. Following the GM's precedent that it is better to ask forgiveness than permission, Pip will be played with the perception success that was missed at the time of the GM post. 50 < 44 (Natual) + 10 (Danger Sence).
Birger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:46 pm Again Birger nods. "My good folk, I am sorry you've been through such a harrowing experience. Again I offer assistance, your wagon looks in need of some maintenance, and I am more than willing to help you. I'm not looking for compensation, just doing a good deed is all. Besides from the looks of it, you could likely do for the rest." Birger says as he climbs down from his own cart.
"Yes, don't let your pride get in the way of the help your family needs. Please allow us to do the right thing and salve your troubles by ensuring you can make it Kingsalter." Pip follows up. Then looking back at the rest of the group he asks. "Do you guys think we can spare some provisions? They do not look like they have eaten in a while."

If the travelers refuse.
Birger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:46 pm Birger nods. "I understand. I can at least tell you the road from here to Kingsalter is clear of troubles since we passed it." Birger says as he moves back to his cart and climbs back onboard.
Eugene wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:20 pm Eugene will smile and wave farewell to the travelers.
Pip shrugs. "If you insist. I pray you to make it safely."

If the travelers agree.
Birger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:46 pm Birger nods. "Excellent, let me grab my tools and see what can be done to keep your wagon running a bit longer." Birger says as he grabs his tool bag and approaches the wagon to see if he can at the very least effect some temporary repairs to keep them running.
Eugene wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:20 pm He will assist Birger anyway necessary including holding the cart up if needed. it will be noticeable that he is very strong. He is able to easily lift the cart with one arm with no strain.
"Allow me to assist you, Birger." Pip says. "More eyes are helpful if nothing else." A general repair kit, I knew I was forgetting something. He chides himself. Turning back to the family he adds. "I can also provide you with a preliminary list of what, if anything, needs a full repair once you get to the city if you like."

General Repair & Maintenance: 1d100: [98] = 98 /59% (Help ensure the wagon will make it to the city.)
Rope Works: 1d100: [56] = 56 /54% (Help ensure the wagon will make it to the city.)
Carpentry: 1d100: [100] = 100 /54% - 69% with Superior Carpentry Kit. (Help ensure the wagon will make it to the city and find what wooden parts need to be fixed later)
Mechanics: Basic: 1d100: [11] = 11 /63% (Help ensure the wagon will make it to the city and find what mechanical parts need to be fixed later)
Blacksmith: 1d100: [77] = 77 /64% (Find what metal parts need to be fixed later.)
Eugene wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:20 pm After they have set off he will wave and then transition to signing to Pip and Kaster. "I am new to the group, but I think we should see if those other folks are alright and maybe deal with those ants so that the road will be safe for travel. But you have traveled for some time and I will defer to your wisdom."
Translating for Eugene, Pip says. "Eugene thinks we should check what happened to the other folk, and possibly deal with the ants. But he will defer to the rest of the group." With a shrug he continues "I am fine with that as long as we all think it is safe to do so. Taking the wagons through the hills has its own risks, so it might be better to scout out if it is actually necessary."
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [12] = 12
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 1d100: [41] = 41

Sign Language 33%= 1d100: [97] = 97
Back Flip: 50%= 1d100: [50] = 50
Dance 30%= 1d100: [96] = 96
Juggling 30%= 1d100: [20] = 20


Kaster gives a deep sigh and turns to dig around under the tarp covering his cart. When he extracts himself from under the tarp, he's holding one of the cast iron pots he bought for selling. Looking more resigned then anything else, Kaster walks over to the mice's wagon and hands the pot over to the woman. "Here you go. Couple pounds of oatmeal and a little dried fruit to see you through to Kingsalter." He nods to the woman with no trace of a smile on his face. Come on Kaster. This is the right thing to do. Its what you'd hope someone would do for you in the same situation. But Arg, giving away tradegoods is not what we're in business to do. Might as well just skip down the street throwing Bucks at people.

A conflicted Kaster makes his way back to his cart and sighs heavily as he takes up his place between the pulling handles. He sees Eugene's hands flick about in the hand speak but can't seem to make out what the elephant is talking about. He looks about at the others impatient to get moving but not really looking forward to the possibility of having to maneuver past giant ants further down the road. Its move than obvious that Kaster is not in a good mood at this point.

It takes a moment but the state of the mouse family's condition finally sinks in, especially that of the child. He tries to catch the boy's eye as he takes a few steps forward then appears to trip and roll forward. Bounding to his feet and attempts a back flip before giving a little dance. His hooves clip clop on the stone bridge as his feet bounce around. He ends the little comedic spectacle by scooping up a few rocks and juggling then around for a bit before tossing the rocks over the side of the bridge and looking confused as to where they have gone.

If his little routine gets a smile from the boy, Kaster will give a smile back, though there seems to be a little sadness in his eyes. My wolves are his ants.
User avatar
Eugene
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Eugene »

Kaster wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:07 am
It takes a moment but the state of the mouse family's condition finally sinks in, especially that of the child. He tries to catch the boy's eye as he takes a few steps forward then appears to trip and roll forward. Bounding to his feet and attempts a back flip before giving a little dance. His hooves clip clop on the stone bridge as his feet bounce around. He ends the little comedic spectacle by scooping up a few rocks and juggling then around for a bit before tossing the rocks over the side of the bridge and looking confused as to where they have gone.
Eugene is delighted by Kaster's spectacle. He excitedly claps at the display and lets out little trumpets of excitement. When Kaster does the bit with the stones disappearing and acting confused, he has a rapid succession of trumpets, that are in the cadence of laughter. Kaster is a lifter of spirits. The children have been through much, he is a good soul to offer up such distraction. These new companions are so much different from the masters. Free and good of heart and spirit. Nothing shall ever harm them as long as I draw breath.
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [30] = 30 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [75] = 75
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:
Invoke Trust: 1d100: [4] = 4 / 60%

The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge

While his traveling companions leap at the chance to assist the mice, Jesper continues to keep a little distance. He only offers an apology if he’s asked to help out. “‘Fraid I’m not terribly handy.” It’s true, he reasons with himself. Kaster’s provided a bit of food. Thistle knew what to do with a hammer. Swords and shadows, that’s all I know... Jesper sighs to himself. They’re good Folk.
Pip wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:25 pmTranslating for Eugene, Pip says. "Eugene thinks we should check what happened to the other folk, and possibly deal with the ants. But he will defer to the rest of the group." With a shrug he continues "I am fine with that as long as we all think it is safe to do so. Taking the wagons through the hills has its own risks, so it might be better to scout out if it is actually necessary."
Jes looks from Pip to Eugene and nods, indicating that he agrees. Maybe I can help the Tooks. Jesper’s ears and attention turn back to the mice. “My apologies…hate to ask you to relive the horror you all survived, but can you tell us anything more about the ants or their hives? What about your friends, the Tooks?” he asks gently. They might have survived, but best not to get their hopes up.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5645
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 16th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Afternoon
Location: The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge
Environment: Wilderness, on the road

Pip wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:25 pm"Yes, don't let your pride get in the way of the help your family needs. Please allow us to do the right thing and salve your troubles by ensuring you can make it Kingsalter." Pip follows up. Then looking back at the rest of the group he asks. "Do you guys think we can spare some provisions? They do not look like they have eaten in a while."
The mouse on the driver's bench takes his hat in his hand, lowers his head ashamedly, and nods wordlessly. Pip gets a glare from the woman that could turn someone to ash, but she also says nothing.
Birger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:46 pmBirger nods. "Excellent, let me grab my tools and see what can be done to keep your wagon running a bit longer." Birger says as he grabs his tool bag and approaches the wagon to see if he can at the very least effect some temporary repairs to keep them running.
The adolescent rushes from the corner of the wagon to assist & direct Birger in whatever ways he can.
Pip wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:25 pm"Allow me to assist you, Birger." Pip says. "More eyes are helpful if nothing else." Turning back to the family he adds. "I can also provide you with a preliminary list of what, if anything, needs a full repair once you get to the city if you like."
Kaster wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:07 amKaster gives a deep sigh and turns to dig around under the tarp covering his cart. When he extracts himself from under the tarp, he's holding one of the cast iron pots he bought for selling. Looking more resigned then anything else, Kaster walks over to the mice's wagon and hands the pot over to the woman. "Here you go. Couple pounds of oatmeal and a little dried fruit to see you through to Kingsalter." He nods to the woman with no trace of a smile on his face. It takes a moment but the state of the mouse family's condition finally sinks in, especially that of the child. He tries to catch the boy's eye as he takes a few steps forward then appears to trip and roll forward. Bounding to his feet and attempts a back flip before giving a little dance. His hooves clip clop on the stone bridge as his feet bounce around. He ends the little comedic spectacle by scooping up a few rocks and juggling then around for a bit before tossing the rocks over the side of the bridge and looking confused as to where they have gone. If his little routine gets a smile from the boy, Kaster will give a smile back, though there seems to be a little sadness in his eyes.
The woman refuses the pan itself, saying that they've retained their own cookware over the course of their travels, but she's mightily grateful for something to put in them.
Jesper wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:46 pmJesper’s ears and attention turn back to the mice. “My apologies…hate to ask you to relive the horror you all survived, but can you tell us anything more about the ants or their hives? What about your friends, the Tooks?” he asks gently.
The horizon being clear of any impending traffic for the bridge, a number of the party swarm over the wagon with tools in hand and eyes keen on repairs to make. Kaster performs a show for the boy which sets him to giggling and brings a smile to everyone's face. The married mice have nothing further to add regarding the ants, the Tooks, or the event that happened, but Kaster's act loosens the boy's tongue and he admits to having seen the Tooks being dragged back towards the mounds very much alive, if a bit worse for wear. Their own wagon was damaged in the sacking by the ants who also hauled away foodstuffs from the Tooks' wagon, as well as their own. The boy admits guiltily that he threw sacks of oats & barley at the ants to keep them from grabbing him while papa got mama back aboard their wagon and got them moving. The lad says that the ants did not eat the sacks of grains, but rather dragged those back towards the mounds as well. Repairs well underway, the mouse family move their wagon off of the bridge, and the woman insists on using some of the supplies given them by the team to fix everyone a lunch of roadside hoecakes to fill their bellies. The boy does as told and lowers a bucket on a rope down the ravine into the river to bring up fresh water which the woman boils before making a weak tea from some nearby herbs and grasses growing along the roadside. After an hour or so of sweating under the warm sun & munching on some filling (if a touch bland) hoecakes, the family gets back on the road towards Kingsalter with many thanks and farewells.

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 16th, 20th Year of Longjaw/Evening
Location: The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge & Gold Road
Environment: Wilderness, on the road


A few hours further down the road after the run-in with the mouse family, the group recognizes the necessity of making camp for the night as well. The wagon & cart are taken off the King's Road as is customary, and everyone sets to making camp for the night. Birger consults the lay of the land and the skies overhead, determines that they're about 6 hours ride from the intersection with the Gold Road, and that they've even odds of getting rained on at some point in night. The campfire is just starting to burn a merry reddish-orange, they've plenty of provisions, and for the moment, at least, the stars begin to emerge from the blanket of inky darkness above. There's no moon this night, and so the stars are plentiful, and the campfire the only effective source of illumination.

Campfire scene! Enjoy an interlude at this time (which you can work into your post) as well.

What are your intentions?

Image
Birger:
Eugene:
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [24] = 24
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 1d100: [5] = 5

Sign Language 33%= 1d100: [21] = 21
(Maintenance Interlude)
Farrier: Basic 39%= 1d100: [91] = 91
Teamster/Wagoner 65%= 1d100: [61] = 61
Carpentry 35%= 1d100: [73] = 73
General Repair & Maintenance 40%= 1d100: [51] = 51


As they pull off the road and find a good place to camp for the night, Kaster asks Birger, "How's Kiri holding up? Do you need me to give her hooves a look?" If Birger says yes, Kaster will give Birger's mule a check. Making sure her hooves and shoes are in good order.

Kaster will then turn to his cart and check it over. He makes sure that the tarp is fastened down well and all the goods are secure before he starts to check the wagon itself over. He starts with the axel, then looks at the handles and lastly the side rails, which he already checked when he was lashing the tarp down.

Settling himself by the fire after checking over his cart, Kaster wonders, Dragged off into the hills but not eaten on the spot. I wonder what that could be all about? Maybe they have young to feed or a queen. Either way, its going to mean trouble for us. And I don't like leaving my cart just sitting in the open. Especially with the supplies I have.

Kaster looks around at the others as they gather around the fire, "We're still what? Three and a half days or so until we get into the Ants territory. Plus the time it took the mice to get to the bridge. I don't want to say it but, ahh, what are the chances that the Took's are still alive?" He looks on at the others feeling terrible for being the first one to bring this up. I guess if the road's not safe anymore, something needs to be done about it.
Last edited by Kaster on Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Eugene
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Eugene »

Perception: 50% / 1d100<20: [77] = 0
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 | 1d100: [41] = 41
Status: S.D.C.: 127/127 | Shield 157/157 , H.P.: 23/23
Conditions: Advanced Hearing, Advanced Smell, Advanced Sight
Coma/Death: +14%, Magic (varies): +4 Lethal Poison (14+): +4, Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4, Insanity (12+): +5, Psionics (10+): +4, Horror: +0


(Interlude: Relating)
Sign Language: d100<88: [68*] = 1

As the group sits around the fire, Pip asks how Eugene is doing. Eugene takes this as an invitation to an impromptu therapy session. He signs to those who know the hand signs in hopes they interpret for the group. “When I was a calf my mother, her name was Engrid, and father, his name was Eckard, cared for me and made sure I was raised to be a strong bull. It was my ninth summer that I put to work by the slavers. I started in the fields. My father was the slave in charge of moving the mill to make the corn into corn meal. My mother was also a slave and would carry the dried corn to the mill from the silos. The slavers were mysterious beings who only watched over us from watch towers and would only come down to administer punishment. Always wearing dark and unrevealing robes. There were many animals that lived and worked there for the slavers, we lived in a close knit community. Naturally the parents would shield the children from the reality of our situation. They made sure we always did our job and whenever an adult was punished they always took the children away. My father was an old bull, he was the strongest of the slaves. He worked tirelessly. Every night he would come home and play with me. He was a good father. But one day my dad didn’t come home. My mother got real sad. She was never the same. As time progressed she got sadder and sadder until one day she didn’t come home. I was so alone but another slave named Petunia, she was a pig who did the cooking for the slavers, moved in and took care of me. She was friends with my mother before she left. By the age of 12 I was the one moving the mill. Petunia was kind and made sure I ate well. She told me my parents were sent away and weren’t allowed to take me. She always cried when she told me that. It would be some number of years before I would find out the truth.” A tear falls down Eugene’s cheek.

“She would tell me I needed to remain strong. That as long as I was strong I would have a home. And she was always right. Every day I would report and push the mill. And then go home and eat and then sleep in preparation for the next day. One day a mule came to the village. He was not happy to be there. He was the first one I saw get punished by the slavers. No sir I didn’t want that at all. It looked like it hurt. He was a very talkative donkey named Haney and he would tell stories about the world outside. He always would be quiet when within ear shot of the slavers. And the slavers wouldn’t like it at all. Haney was put in the hole a lot. The hole is where slaves were confined as punishment for talking or talking about forbidden things when the slave was too stubborn for the beatings to work. I wanted to see the world, but I had to work or face punishment. About a month ago I saw them take Petunia out for punishment. But the slaver beat her until she didn’t get up. I left the mill and ran to her and she wasn’t breathing. I got really mad and I hit the slaver who hit her. Apparently I killed them. An army of slavers descended and used rope loops on sticks to hold me down. But I wasn’t in the mood to fight anymore. I just stayed and cried over petunia as they whipped my back creating the scars I have now.” He turns around and shows the deep and extensive scarring on his back.

“After they punished me they put me in a large cage near the hole. They mentioned that it hadn’t held anyone since my Dad, and in the morning I would see the same fate as him. That is when I knew, I mean I think part of me always knew, but that is when I accepted it.” More tears begin streaming, but before they get overwhelming Eugene sniffles and wipes his face. “Eventually I escaped and made my way this direction until I met you guys. I am very happy to have found nice people. And I will not let anyone hurt you guys. And I want to make sure others aren’t hurt the way I was.” He then reaches into his bag and grabs a branch of tasty leaves and begins eating them in the awkward silence.
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [3] = 3 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [18] = 18 ; 1d100: [79] = 79
Conditions:
The character can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
The ability to see at night. There must be starlight or some other light source available to the character; 1000 foot (305 m) range/distance. If the character is in a completely blacked-out area, a cave, for example, then nothing will be visible; is as blind as anyone else.
,
The character has the ability to hear very faint sounds (light footsteps, small animals breathing). The character can also overhear a conversation at a much greater distance than is normally possible. + I on initiative.
,
The character has an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Range: 90 feet (27.4 m) or self.
Duration: Four melee rounds (one minute).
Minimum M.E.: None. Not available to Mutant Humans.
Saving Throw: None.
Cost: 10 BIO-E.
The Danger Sense is a psychic intuition that provides a precognitive flash concerning imminent danger to himself or someone near him (within 30 feet/9.1 m). This includes hidden ambush, snipers, traps, a predatory animal stalking from the shadows, a poisonous snake, land mine, or dangerous situations (bridge can not support his weight, etc.). Danger Sense does not indicate what or where the danger might be, just that it exists and is imminent. Ultimately, it should put the character on alert that something is wrong and he must be careful and ready to act quickly (+2 on initiative to respond to the threat, + I to dodge). Note: The character must specify when the power is being used. It does not work automatically.


(Interlude: Relating)

While Kaster sees to his cart Pip helps build the fire and set up camp.

Wilderness Survival: 1d100: [46] = 46 /39% (help build the fire and set up camp)

Then he sits near the fire, turns to Eugene, and asks. "How are you doing?" Since he is one of the only two that can understand him.
Eugene wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:57 am “When I was a calf my mother, her name was Engrid, and father, his name was Eckard, cared for me and made sure I was raised to be a strong bull.” ...

-snip-

... “Eventually I escaped and made my way this direction until I met you guys. I am very happy to have found nice people. And I will not let anyone hurt you guys. And I want to make sure others aren’t hurt the way I was.” He then reaches into his bag and grabs a branch of tasty leaves and begins eating them in the awkward silence.
A little taken aback by Eugene's monologue Pip shuffles in place nervously and responds. "I guess you needed to get that off your chest? Huh? I am sorry you had to go through that, the idea that anyone would treat another thinking being like that is sick." Pip will also translate Eugene's story for anyone else that asks.

Leaning back, Pip continues out of feeling that he should reciprocate Eugene's openness, at least a little. "My childhood sounds idyllic by comparison. The worst I had was the other children using my parent's pet name for me as a way to pick on my stature. But that was the same reason I almost never lost our hiding games." He finished with a cocky smirk.
Kaster wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:40 pm Kaster looks around at the others as they gather around the fire, "We're still what? Three and a half days or so until we get into the Ants territory. Plus the time it took the mice to get to the bridge. I don't want, ah, say it but what are the chances that the Took's are still alive?" He looks on at the others feeling terrible for being the first one to bring this up. I guess if the road's not safe anymore, something needs to be done about it.
Pip sits back up as a downcast look briefly crosses his face. "Admittedly, probably not high. But think of it this way, we are probably some of the first Folk to hear about this. There seemed to be no whiff of this when we were in Kingsalter. Meaning that it just started." He pulls out his map for reference. "Marsh Village and the hills are about the same distance from Kingsalter and therefore us. Something like this affects the whole kingdom and is a big enough threat that I doubt Marsh Village would not immediately send word to Kingsalter. So the Ant attacks are more recent than the time it takes for news to get to Marsh Village and past us. If we do not encounter a runner in a day or two I think it is safe to say that Marsh Village could not know before us and may not know at all. And that is only considering this side of the attack. The road to Port Periwinkle is even longer. There could be travelers from either town walking into danger unawares. I still think we should check it out and help anyone that we think we can."
Last edited by Pip on Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [1] = 1 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 / 1d100: [11] = 11
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:

The King’s Road

As the party tries to find comfort around the campfire, Jesper settles in and tilts his head to look up at the stars. Sailors sometimes use them to navigate, he reminds himself. He tries to imagine his father at sea, looking up at the same night’s sky. After a few minutes, Jes sighs deeply. “Too bad I can’t use the stars to find you,” he whispers as if the breeze would carry his words to his father. Jes is so wrapped up in his thoughts, that he misses all but the end of Eugene’s sad tale. Jesper looks from the weepy pachyderm to Pip, trying to piece it all together. Life is certainly a journey, he keeps to himself. “Glad to have you looking after us,” Jesper says to Eugene. (Relating Interlude)
Kaster wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:40 pm"We're still what? Three and a half days or so until we get into the Ants territory. Plus the time it took the mice to get to the bridge. I don't want, ah, say it but what are the chances that the Took's are still alive?"
“Their chances are…not good,” Jesper agrees. “But maybe there’s still some hope. Pip makes a good point though. This is more than just rescuing the Tooks.” Jesper looks to Pip once more, “I’m not terribly well-traveled, not yet anyway, but I thought the King’s Road was considered to be a safe route. Why do you think the ants are attacking?”
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [47] = 47 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [19] = 19 ; 1d100: [42] = 42
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.


Birger having set up a tent and tended to his donkey Kiri, sits near the fire. As the others talk he absently pokes at the embers with a long stick, not unlike a blacksmith examining the coals.
Kaster wrote:"How's Kiri holding up? Do you need me to give her hooves a look?"
Birger nods. "She seems well, but if you'd like to." Birger says.
Kaster wrote:"We're still what? Three and a half days or so until we get into the Ants territory. Plus the time it took the mice to get to the bridge. I don't want, ah, say it but what are the chances that the Took's are still alive?"
Birger shrugs. "Not good chances, but longer odds have been met." Birger says, which seems to be everyone else's thoughts on it.

Birger again sits quietly, absentmindedly poking at the fire.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Pip »

((rolls held))
Jesper wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:21 pm Jesper looks to Pip once more, “I’m not terribly well-traveled, not yet anyway, but I thought the King’s Road was considered to be a safe route. Why do you think the ants are attacking?”
Pip holds his chin in thought for a moment. "I am not an insect breeder, so I cannot really say for sure, only loosely guess from what we have heard. Assuming Giant Ants are not that different from their smaller cousins, what this kid said about them taking food back to their nest instead of eating it seems completely normal. Or am I the only one that occasionally watched normal-sized ants when I was younger? The strange part is them attacking travelers on the King's Road. You are right that the road would be considered safe, or at least safer. It is the main trade route between Port Periwinkle, Marsh Village, and Kingsalter. They all have a vested interest in keeping it clear of hazards. So for the Ants to be attacking I can only guess that whatever they wanted they deemed most easily acquired from the road."
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Kaster »

[Rolls held]

Kaster nods along, "I agree that the road needs to be made safe again and we're the best hope that the Took's have. So, for whatever the reason that the ants are attacking travelers on the road we should at least check it out. At worst, we can see what's wrong and report it to the King's Guard or somebody with a better fighting force." This could be something as simple as a flood wiping out their normal grazing area. Not an easy fix but an easy explanation. Better than something more villainous.
User avatar
Eugene
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Eugene »

((rolls held))
Pip wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:53 pm ((rolls held))
Jesper wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:21 pm Jesper looks to Pip once more, “I’m not terribly well-traveled, not yet anyway, but I thought the King’s Road was considered to be a safe route. Why do you think the ants are attacking?”
Pip holds his chin in thought for a moment. "I am not an insect breeder, so I cannot really say for sure, only loosely guess from what we have heard. Assuming Giant Ants are not that different from their smaller cousins, what this kid said about them taking food back to their nest instead of eating it seems completely normal. Or am I the only one that occasionally watched normal-sized ants when I was younger? The strange part is them attacking travelers on the King's Road. You are right that the road would be considered safe, or at least safer. It is the main trade route between Port Periwinkle, Marsh Village, and Kingsalter. They all have a vested interest in keeping it clear of hazards. So for the Ants to be attacking I can only guess that whatever they wanted they deemed most easily acquired from the road."
Wilderness Survival: d100<30: [61] = 0
Eugene signs to Pip. "When I watched ants around my old home, Ants usually find carion when harvesting meat, then they take pieces back at a time. It is necessary for it to be dead in that case because the ants are so small. I don't think they are inherent killers. In this case they are big enough to take live food without killing because of their immense size. I believe they may be like other animals in that if they got a taste for meat that is closer to when it died it will become their preference. That means there is an off chance that they are keeping the Tooks alive. Maybe there are a number of Tooks we can save." I hope we can save them all.
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5645
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 2: The Ruins of Beaugrey Hall

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 19th, 20th Year of Longjaw/afternoon
Location: The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge & Gold Road
Environment: Wilderness, on the road


Kaster sets about mending, oiling, & generally repairing everything which needs maintenance. That one cart wheel that had been annoying everyone? Greased. The unbalanced wear to the axle on the wagon that made the ride ever more bumpy-feeling? Shaved down to regularity. Blades sharpened, tools oiled, fraying stitches mended, and wear holes darned. Kaster looks about his work in all its sundry, minor details and smiles at how it will make future days brighter for all with so many minor annoyances addressed.

Everyone has a good chew and plenty of good conversation around the campfire that night, with many bonds of genuine friendship initially established, and a greater sense of ease with one another developed. (Interludes Record) The next few days ride is uneventful. While the summer sun is hot, keeping moving reduces the feeling of drowning in the unseasonable humidity on the road these days. On occasion a breeze from the north brings the faint scent of distant brine with it along with a moment's respite from the heat. Eventually, the travelers see Mandible Hill on the horizon, and take their cart and wagon off the road to one side to confer with one another.

Striping across the middle of the Old Kingdom, the Buzzard Hills are a range of low, rounded hills, bordered to the north by the sweep of the River Tayth. Bleak and resource-poor, they have always been sparsely populated, even in the days before the nearby country was abandoned. As such, their quiet wildness proved the ideal location for a nest of giant ants. Sited on Mandible Hill, the nest likely plunges deep beneath the grassy surface. Given the likely danger presented by the ants, some consideration and planning, and perhaps reconnaissance would be prudent.

What are your intentions?

Image
Birger:
Eugene:
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Eugene
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Eugene »

Perception: 50% / 1d100<20: [85] = 0
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 | 1d100: [8] = 8
Status: S.D.C.: 127/127 | Shield 157/157 , H.P.: 23/23
Conditions: Advanced Hearing, Advanced Smell, Advanced Sight
Coma/Death: +14%, Magic (varies): +4 Lethal Poison (14+): +4, Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4, Insanity (12+): +5, Psionics (10+): +4, Horror: +0


Eugen eyes the area carefully. He tries to find of any signs of death. He doesn't smell decay or see carrion birds over the area. For a moment he grasps at hope that maybe the Tooks are alive. Then reason makes him think to himself. This is only evidence that they arent dead above ground. If the ants took them underground, then carrion birds and decay smell would not necessarily be in the equation. He turns to the party with focus on Pip and Kaster to translate, and signs "Where do we start to look? Do you see any indication of what direction they went?"




Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Spear Attack - 1d20+5: [5]+5 = 10 , 2d6+22: [4, 6]+22 = 32 SDC
Action 3: Reserved for Dodge
Action 4: Spear Attack - 1d20+5: [8]+5 = 13 , 2d6+22: [1, 5]+22 = 28 SDC
Action 5: Spear Attack - 1d20+5: [9]+5 = 14 , 2d6+22: [5, 4]+22 = 31 SDC
Dodge: 1d20+3: [16]+3 = 19 , 1d20+3: [19]+3 = 22 , 1d20+3: [12]+3 = 15 , 1d20+3: [5]+3 = 8 , 1d20+3: [2]+3 = 5
Unarmed Parries: 1d20+5: [11]+5 = 16 , 1d20+5: [9]+5 = 14 , 1d20+5: [6]+5 = 11 , 1d20+5: [8]+5 = 13 , 1d20+5: [16]+5 = 21
Spear OR Shield Parries: 1d20+6: [11]+6 = 17 , 1d20+6: [16]+6 = 22 , 1d20+6: [15]+6 = 21 , 1d20+6: [11]+6 = 17 , 1d20+6: [8]+6 = 14
Spear AND Shield Parries: 1d20+7: [4]+7 = 11 , 1d20+7: [5]+7 = 12 , 1d20+7: [9]+7 = 16 , 1d20+7: [7]+7 = 14 , 1d20+7: [1]+7 = 8
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [95] = 95 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [11] = 11 ; 1d100: [67] = 67
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.


Wilderness Survival 1d100: [97] = 97 /39% Fail (Looking for signs of attacks near the road. (A stretch of the skill.))

Birger looks across the hills from atop his wagon seat. "Certainly lives up to it's inhospitable nature." Birger says as he climbs down. "I suppose we should start by looking for signs of a struggle, then follow the tracks from there. I know nothing of giant ants, so if anyone does know, now would be a good time to speak up. Also we should consider what we want from this, and what is acceptable to cut our losses and run. So we're all on the same page." Birger says tot he group.

"This is more of a soldier thing, maybe we just reconnoiter and if we can without too much risk, save them, if not tell the nearest authorities and let them deal with an ant colony." Birger says after a bit of thought. Let's see what they think.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [33] = 33 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 / 1d100: [71] = 71
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:
Wilderness Survival: 1d100: [29] = 29 / 30%
Tracking: 1d100: [47] = 47 / 30%

The King’s Road, near Mandible Hill

After lifting his nose to catch a whiff of salt in the air, Jesper turns his eyes and ears to the hill standing before them. We’re in the middle-of-nowhere really. It occurs to Jesper that this is the furthest he’s ever been from Kingsalter and the Fallwood, but it doesn’t worry him. He grins, but then remembers why they're there. His long ears swivel this way and that as Jes attempts to pick up on any sounds in the distance. Hopefully I’ll hear them coming before there's trouble.

As with Eugene and Birger, Jesper puts his survival and tracking skills to the test. He wanders around a bit, looking at the ground for tracks, signs of struggle, or something that looks like it could be the ant version of a backdoor. “I know nothing about giant ants,” he admits to Birger. “But maybe Pip is right about their behavior mirroring their smaller cousins.”
Birger wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:40 pm"This is more of a soldier thing, maybe we just reconnoiter and if we can without too much risk, save them, if not tell the nearest authorities and let them deal with an ant colony."
“I doubt the Tooks have the time to wait around for the proper authorities, but it's possible that the ants will be more than we can handle.” Jesper pauses his ground search and looks over to Birger. “I could disappear and take a closer look,” he suggests.
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [72] = 72 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [12] = 12 ; 1d100: [50] = 50
Conditions:
The character can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
The ability to see at night. There must be starlight or some other light source available to the character; 1000 foot (305 m) range/distance. If the character is in a completely blacked-out area, a cave, for example, then nothing will be visible; is as blind as anyone else.
,
The character has the ability to hear very faint sounds (light footsteps, small animals breathing). The character can also overhear a conversation at a much greater distance than is normally possible. + I on initiative.
,
The character has an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Range: 90 feet (27.4 m) or self.
Duration: Four melee rounds (one minute).
Minimum M.E.: None. Not available to Mutant Humans.
Saving Throw: None.
Cost: 10 BIO-E.
The Danger Sense is a psychic intuition that provides a precognitive flash concerning imminent danger to himself or someone near him (within 30 feet/9.1 m). This includes hidden ambush, snipers, traps, a predatory animal stalking from the shadows, a poisonous snake, land mine, or dangerous situations (bridge can not support his weight, etc.). Danger Sense does not indicate what or where the danger might be, just that it exists and is imminent. Ultimately, it should put the character on alert that something is wrong and he must be careful and ready to act quickly (+2 on initiative to respond to the threat, + I to dodge). Note: The character must specify when the power is being used. It does not work automatically.


Camouflage: 1d100: [50] = 50 /34% (Conceal the wagon & cart)
Wilderness Survival: 1d100: [8] = 8 /39% (Look for signs of attacks near the road)
Intelligence: 1d100: [90] = 90 /41% (Analyze any found signs of attack near the road)
Eugene wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:27 am Eugen eyes the area carefully. He turns to the party with focus on Pip and Kaster to translate, and signs "Where do we start to look? Do you see any indication of what direction they went?"
Pip translates then shakes his head. "Nothing seems immediately apparent. But we should take a closer look, carfuly."
Birger wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:40 pm Birger looks across the hills from atop his wagon seat. "Certainly lives up to it's inhospitable nature." Birger says as he climbs down. "I suppose we should start by looking for signs of a struggle, then follow the tracks from there. I know nothing of giant ants, so if anyone does know, now would be a good time to speak up. Also we should consider what we want from this, and what is acceptable to cut our losses and run. So we're all on the same page." Birger says tot he group.
"I agree." Pip nods. "We should all be clear on how far to take this. I said from the beginning that we should help as long as we all agree that it is safe to do so. We cannot help anyone if we are captured or dead." Turning back to the wagon & cart he adds. "Losing our goods would also be bad, let me see if I can camouflage them."
Birger wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:40 pm "This is more of a soldier thing, maybe we just reconnoiter and if we can without too much risk, save them, if not tell the nearest authorities and let them deal with an ant colony." Birger says after a bit of thought.
Jesper wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:08 pm “I doubt the Tooks have the time to wait around for the proper authorities, but it's possible that the ants will be more than we can handle.” Jesper pauses his ground search and looks over to Birger. “I could disappear and take a closer look,” he suggests.
"Honestly we don't know what time they have." Pip shrugs. "All the more reason to act like they have very little." Turning to Jesper he adds "I was wondering how you got over to the Hand from the hill we climbed. That is a useful trick if you are willing to be a forward scout. Personally, I have always had a knack for knowing when a situation is truly dangerous. Those that don't know that would sometimes call me reckless."
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [15] = 15
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 1d100: [29] = 29

Sign Language 33%= 1d100: [33] = 33
Detect Ambush 30%= 1d100: [27] = 27


Kaster looks to Eugene as they pull off the road, "I'm not sure where we'll need to start. We'll need to look around some. We also need to make sure the same thing doesn't happen to us even though we're basically looking for trouble." He smirks a little to himself as he considers lighting up his pipe. No, best we keep to ourselves and not announce that we are here.

Kaster listens as Birger, Pip and Jesper toss around some plans, "Sounds like a good plan. Scout about and see what we can find but if it comes down to us or our supplies we head on at speed and let someone in charge know that the ants are messing with the travelers along the road." He shifts his gaze over to Jesper, "Your disappearing trick is nice but will it work with the ants? Let see if we can even find some tracks first. Its been more than a few days so any signs of the struggle may be hard to find."

With a basic plan in place, Kaster stows his cart off the road in a place that is obscured from the road, if one can be found and lets Pip try to disguise it. Then forms up with the others and starts searching for tracks and clues as to where the ants attacked and where they went afterward.
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5645
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 19th, 20th Year of Longjaw/afternoon
Location: The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge & Gold Road
Environment: Wilderness, just off the road & just southeast of the map


Eugene doesn't smell death in the wind, at least not this far from Mandible Hill and the ant nest. Still, at least the absence of such an obvious sign could be construed as a reason to be hopeful.

Birger spots the Took's wagon at the other end of Mandible Hill from their own position. It's pushed off the road, and looks to be in shambles. What's left is little more than a heap of canvas and iron wheel rings. Most of the wood of the wagon structure seems to have been removed from the original frame of the wagon. Other than this, he's a bit too distracted & anxious to garner much from the scene from their current position.

Jesper notes from a distance a handful of colorful detritus that marks a sort of trail from the wagon to the big mound at the northwest of Mandible Hill. He also notes the large tracks all around them & at their feet. Stooping down he discerns the tracks of the giant ants and looks to how the tracks are made to discern from the shape & angles of the depressions that the ants that moved in this area have departed out & away from the Hill. He thinks he hears distant movement to the northeast, but it's hard to tell over everyone's speech & the general rustling of their movements.

Pip's mind observes a strange whiteness which rises up the trunks of the trees on Mandible Hill. The white pallor to the trunks don't reach the branches, but are still unusual looking even from a distance as they are. He also notes the freshly overturned earth around the mounds and conjectures to himself that it is likely that this is a new nest. As the others get their vehicles to the side of the road, Pip sets to work shoving them a bit deeper into the brush beneath a nearby tree to at least somewhat obscure the vehicles from being readily seen. They're about as safe as can be made in the current circumstances.

Kaster's keen eye notes the distant location at which the previous wagons were attacked--immediately around the bend from the Hill. No doubt the two families came rumbling blithely around the corner and ran into the ants while they were busy on the surface. The ants could have been foraging, hunting, or were simply surprised by the wagons and swarmed them as hostile interlopers. Regardless, the ultimate cause is that this nest is too close to the King's Road. It's bound to cause many more such altercations unless the nest is eradicated with or the ants relocate.
GM Note
If anyone has any businesslike skills, including one in the next post could prove profitable.
What are your intentions?
Mandible Hill.jpg

Image
Birger:
Eugene:
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Eugene
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Eugene »

Perception: 50% / 1d100<20: [99] = 0 Critical Failure
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 | 1d100: [36] = 36
Status: S.D.C.: 127/127 | Shield 157/157 , H.P.: 23/23
Conditions: Advanced Hearing, Advanced Smell, Advanced Sight
Coma/Death: +14%, Magic (varies): +4 Lethal Poison (14+): +4, Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4, Insanity (12+): +5, Psionics (10+): +4, Horror: +0

Eugene scans the area around the group spear at the ready. He sees no signs of how to locate the ants. He moves to points around the caravan to get a look in all directions staying close to the party to make sure they are protected while they determine the next course of action. This all seems too quiet. Not sure why we haven't seen a giant ant yet. He signs to Pip, "Although I am good for fighting I am not good at tracking. If you guys want to save the Tooks, I will follow you, but I don't think I will be much help in finding them."





Action 1: Spear Attack - To Hit: d20+5: [14]+5 = 19 | Damage: 2d6+22: [5, 6]+22 = 33
Action 2: Reserved For Parry
Action 3: Spear Attack - To Hit: d20+5: [2]+5 = 7 | Damage: 2d6+22: [5, 2]+22 = 29
Action 4: Reserved For Parry
Action 5: Spear Attack - To Hit: d20+5: [14]+5 = 19 | Damage: 2d6+22: [1, 4]+22 = 27

Dodge: 1d20+3: [20]+3 = 23 , 1d20+3: [3]+3 = 6 , 1d20+3: [13]+3 = 16 , 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4 , 1d20+3: [15]+3 = 18
Unarmed Parries: 1d20+5: [4]+5 = 9 , 1d20+5: [9]+5 = 14 , 1d20+5: [18]+5 = 23 , 1d20+5: [20]+5 = 25 , 1d20+5: [3]+5 = 8
Spear AND Shield Parries: 1d20+7: [3]+7 = 10 , 1d20+7: [9]+7 = 16 , 1d20+7: [3]+7 = 10 , 1d20+7: [2]+7 = 9 , 1d20+7: [15]+7 = 22
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [31] = 31 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5 / 1d100: [44] = 44
Conditions: Danger Sense, unless there is a threat, then Invisible Haze
Skills:

The King’s Road, near Mandible Hill
Pip wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:38 pmTurning to Jesper he adds "I was wondering how you got over to the Hand from the hill we climbed. That is a useful trick if you are willing to be a forward scout. Personally, I have always had a knack for knowing when a situation is truly dangerous. Those that don't know that would sometimes call me reckless."
Jesper chuckles. “Like you, Pip, I always seem to know when danger is present. I’ve always thought it had something to do with my…heritage.” Jesper avoids pointing out that rabbits carry a reputation of being timid prey animals. “I believe my ability to vanish also comes from my blood. Seems that many of my kind have a knack for going unnoticed, allowing them to act at just the right moment. I find it useful to disappear whenever I feel threatened.” Or whenever there’s a fat purse to be had.
Kaster wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:47 pm"Your disappearing trick is nice but will it work with the ants? Let see if we can even find some tracks first. Its been more than a few days so any signs of the struggle may be hard to find."
Jes shrugs and admits, “True…I haven’t tried my tricks on ants before. I have, on the rare occasion, been spotted by Folk with strong talents of their own.” When Kaster wonders about other signs, Jesper points out some of the larger tracks at their feet. “There has been movement, at any rate, and…” His long rabbit ears swivel to the northeast. “...I think I can hear something. Maybe movement; hard to tell.” Just in case his ears aren't enough, Jes lifts a hand to indicate the correct direction for the party.

If the ants attack the party, Jesper goes invisible and leaps into action!
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4
1. Reserved for Invisible Haze
2. Strike: 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 , Damage: 2d4+3: [3, 2]+3 = 8
3. Strike: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage: 2d4+3: [2, 4]+3 = 9
4. Reserved for Dodge: 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6

Parries (just in case): 1d20-1: [1]-1 = 0 , 1d20-1: [16]-1 = 15 , 1d20-1: [16]-1 = 15 , and 1d20-1: [2]-1 = 1
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [86] = 86 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [16] = 16 ; 1d100: [49] = 49
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.


Business Skill: Antiquarian 1d100: [53] = 53 /49% (Possible things of value?)
Advanced Smell: 1d100: [81] = 81 /59%/69% (Does Birger notice anything of note?)

Birger looks at the remains of the Took's Wagon, from a distance. Maybe they eat the wood? Birger thinks. When Jesper suggests sneaking up to take a look. "If you think you can do it safely, I don't have an issue." Birger says as he contemplates the situation. Birger looks at Eugene, but shakes his head waiting for Pip or Kaster to translate. That is inconvenient. Birger thinks. While Birger waits he takes a few deep lung fulls of air to get a smell of the area. Once his curiosity is settled, Birger hunkers down to wait to see what Jesper finds.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [17] = 17 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [12] = 12 ; 1d100: [67] = 67
Conditions:
The character can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
The ability to see at night. There must be starlight or some other light source available to the character; 1000 foot (305 m) range/distance. If the character is in a completely blacked-out area, a cave, for example, then nothing will be visible; is as blind as anyone else.
,
The character has the ability to hear very faint sounds (light footsteps, small animals breathing). The character can also overhear a conversation at a much greater distance than is normally possible. + I on initiative.
,
The character has an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Range: 90 feet (27.4 m) or self.
Duration: Four melee rounds (one minute).
Minimum M.E.: None. Not available to Mutant Humans.
Saving Throw: None.
Cost: 10 BIO-E.
The Danger Sense is a psychic intuition that provides a precognitive flash concerning imminent danger to himself or someone near him (within 30 feet/9.1 m). This includes hidden ambush, snipers, traps, a predatory animal stalking from the shadows, a poisonous snake, land mine, or dangerous situations (bridge can not support his weight, etc.). Danger Sense does not indicate what or where the danger might be, just that it exists and is imminent. Ultimately, it should put the character on alert that something is wrong and he must be careful and ready to act quickly (+2 on initiative to respond to the threat, + I to dodge). Note: The character must specify when the power is being used. It does not work automatically.


'Businesslike' skill checks:
Recognize Weapon Quality: 1d100: [36] = 36 /39% (notice something of value)
Antiquarian: 1d100: [26] = 26 /49% (notice something of value)
Appraise Goods: 1d100: [90] = 90 /39% (notice something of value)
Eugene wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:12 am He signs to Pip, "Although I am good for fighting I am not good at tracking. If you guys want to save the Tooks, I will follow you, but I don't think I will be much help in finding them."
Pip translates and then responds. "I am not sure how many of us actually are. I for one am just cobbling together what I know about survival in general. But it is probably good to have someone more on guard while the rest of us are looking about."
Jesper wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:25 pm Jesper chuckles. “Like you, Pip, I always seem to know when danger is present. I’ve always thought it had something to do with my…heritage.” Jesper avoids pointing out that rabbits carry a reputation of being timid prey animals. “I believe my ability to vanish also comes from my blood. Seems that many of my kind have a knack for going unnoticed, allowing them to act at just the right moment. I find it useful to disappear whenever I feel threatened.”
Pip tilts his head in thought. "Hmm... possibly. Though I have heard that these things, while often hereditary, can also happen spontaneously." He then shakes his head dismissively. "But that is not important right now."
Jesper wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:25 pm Jes shrugs and admits, “True…I haven’t tried my tricks on ants before. I have, on the rare occasion, been spotted by Folk with strong talents of their own.” When Kaster wonders about other signs, Jesper points out some of the larger tracks at their feet. “There has been movement, at any rate, and…” His long rabbit ears swivel to the northeast. “...I think I can hear something. Maybe movement; hard to tell.” Just in case his ears aren't enough, Jes lifts a hand to indicate the correct direction for the party.
Pip's eyes and ears follow the direction Jesper indicated as if to catch something he missed. "Well let's be careful of something showing up in that direction then." Turning back to face the hills he continues. "This nest must be new, there is fresh dirt." Then he points to the trees on the hill. "And is it just me, or is there something wrong with those trees?"
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [99] = 99
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 1d100: [3] = 3

Sign Language 33%= 1d100: [63] = 63


Kaster follows along with what the others are saying and adds in, "It looks like the wagons were attacked immediately around the bend from the Hill. No doubt when the ants were out and about the hill here. Nevertheless, this ant hill, whether its new or old, is much too close to the road."

Kaster looks over to Eugene and furrows his brows in confusion until Pip chimes in, Ah, tracking skills. They must have only trained him to fight. It a miracle that he ever found the city after he got away and didn't just starve in the woods.

Kaster looks over at the trees that Pip mentions and squints as he looks, "Yeah, but I can't tell why from here. Maybe the new any nest is killing them off."

When Jesper says that he thinks he hears movement, Kaster replies, "Then we should get off the road and out of sight. It might be the ants comeing back."
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5645
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 19th, 20th Year of Longjaw/afternoon
Location: The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge & Gold Road
Environment: Wilderness, just off the road & just southeast of the map


Eugene stands guard around the others, spear at the ready, as they converse, share observations, and theorize out loud. Such is Eugene's anxiety that though he too has keen senses, he doesn't discern what some of the others do. Pip's keen eyes observe a strange whiteness which rises up the trunks of the trees on Mandible Hill. The white pallor to the trunks doesn't reach the branches, but the pallor is unusual looking even from a distance. Neither Pip or Jesper's danger sense is causing them alarm, though their anxiety is growing as the sun tracks across the sky. Things come out after dark; dangerous, hungry things red in tooth and claw. Pip & Jesper alike continue to hear the sounds distant to the northeast, and Pip's keen ears suggest to him that they could well be nearly a mile away from their mound. When Pip catches sight of the colorful debris which Jesper's eyes noted but his mind overlooked, Pip immediately corellates the glistering in the sun with that of coin. There's a distinct trail of coin leading to the southwesterly ant hole on the mound.

What are your intentions?
Mandible Hill.jpg
Image
Birger:
Eugene:
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [97] = 97 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [16] = 16 ; 1d100: [28] = 28
Conditions:
The character can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
The ability to see at night. There must be starlight or some other light source available to the character; 1000 foot (305 m) range/distance. If the character is in a completely blacked-out area, a cave, for example, then nothing will be visible; is as blind as anyone else.
,
The character has the ability to hear very faint sounds (light footsteps, small animals breathing). The character can also overhear a conversation at a much greater distance than is normally possible. + I on initiative.
,
The character has an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Range: 90 feet (27.4 m) or self.
Duration: Four melee rounds (one minute).
Minimum M.E.: None. Not available to Mutant Humans.
Saving Throw: None.
Cost: 10 BIO-E.
The Danger Sense is a psychic intuition that provides a precognitive flash concerning imminent danger to himself or someone near him (within 30 feet/9.1 m). This includes hidden ambush, snipers, traps, a predatory animal stalking from the shadows, a poisonous snake, land mine, or dangerous situations (bridge can not support his weight, etc.). Danger Sense does not indicate what or where the danger might be, just that it exists and is imminent. Ultimately, it should put the character on alert that something is wrong and he must be careful and ready to act quickly (+2 on initiative to respond to the threat, + I to dodge). Note: The character must specify when the power is being used. It does not work automatically.


Intelligence: 1d100: [64] = 64 /41% (get a more accurate distance for the sounds.)
Kaster wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:51 pm Kaster looks over at the trees that Pip mentions and squints as he looks, "Yeah, but I can't tell why from here. Maybe the new any nest is killing them off."
Continuing to look at the trees Pip responds thoughtfully. "Possibly... But I am an engineer, not a healer, so even if we get closer I probably could not say one way or the other." Looking back to the group he continues. "Anyways, I don't think the sounds represent an immediate danger, they sound like they could be nearly a mile away. What I find more interesting is that I don't think insects usually care about metal. So why is there a trail of coins?" Pip points to the trail leading about west-north-west. "My guess? Either we got lucky, or someone had the presence of mind to leave a trail."
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
User avatar
Eugene
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Eugene »

Perception: 50% / 1d100<20: [69] = 0
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 | 1d100: [93] = 93
Status: S.D.C.: 127/127 | Shield 157/157 , H.P.: 23/23
Conditions: Advanced Hearing, Advanced Smell, Advanced Sight
Coma/Death: +14%, Magic (varies): +4 Lethal Poison (14+): +4, Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4, Insanity (12+): +5, Psionics (10+): +4, Horror: +0

Pip wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:34 pm Continuing to look at the trees Pip responds thoughtfully. "Possibly... But I am an engineer, not a healer, so even if we get closer I probably could not say one way or the other." Looking back to the group he continues. "Anyways, I don't think the sounds represent an immediate danger, they sound like they could be nearly a mile away. What I find more interesting is that I don't think insects usually care about metal. So why is there a trail of coins?" Pip points to the trail leading about west-north-west. "My guess? Either we got lucky, or someone had the presence of mind to leave a trail."
Eugene hearing about the trail looks to see the coin. He signs to Pip
“I think you are right. My gut says the latter. Regardless we should probably check it out. If there is a chance they survived we should try to save them.” They must be terrified. I hope we can save them. He looks in the direction of the trail. He signs to everyone, “If you guys want to check it out I will lead the way.”



Action 1: Reserved for Parry
Action 2: Attack with Spear: To Strike d20+5: [11]+5 = 16 , Damage 6d6+22: [1, 3, 3, 1, 5, 2]+22 = 37
Action 3: Reserved for Parry
Action 4:Attack with Spear: To Strike d20+5: [17]+5 = 22 , Damage 6d6+22: [1, 6, 6, 1, 1, 2]+22 = 39
Action 5: Reserved for Parry

Spear AND Shield Parries: 1d20+7: [3]+7 = 10 , 1d20+7: [4]+7 = 11 , 1d20+7: [1]+7 = 8 , 1d20+7: [6]+7 = 13 , 1d20+7: [1]+7 = 8
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [77] = 77
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 1d100: [59] = 59

Sign Language 33%= 1d100: [86] = 86


Kaster sighs, I don't wanna leave my cart. Even stashed over to the side. Oh well, hopefully someone will do this for me if I ever go missing. He looks around at the group and slides his axe out of the loop on his belt, "If this is what we're doing, we best get on with it. I don't wanna be stuck down that hole when nightfall comes."

Pulling a length of rope off of his travel pack, he puts it over his shoulder before he goes over to the trail of coins Pip pointed out, "We best leave these here for now. If they lead far into the tunnels, we can follow them back out..... and pick them up then." He gives a little crooked grin.

As he approaches the trail of coin, he claps Eugene on the back, "I didn't really catch what you just said nut it looks like you're ready to go looking for the Tooks." He looks back at the others and says, "We're heading in. If anyone wants to stay behind, look after my cart. I'll be back for it."
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [42] = 42 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 / 1d100: [92] = 92
Conditions: Danger Sense, unless there is a threat, then Invisible Haze
Skills:
Detect Concealment & Traps: 1d100: [32] = 32 / 25% (a trail of coins doesn’t seem suspicious at all)
Prowl: 1d100: [20] = 20 / 30%

The King’s Road, near Mandible Hill

Jesper’s ears flick back, picking up on some other noise in the area. An owl, perhaps? It is getting late in the day… He smooths down the fur at the back of his neck and turns his attention back to the ant mounds.

When Pip suggests that the movement they heard was about a mile away to the northeast, Jesper takes a closer look at the trails, debris and coins at their feet. He kneels down to pick up a coin for closer inspection, then suggests, “If the ants are to the northeast, perhaps this hole is the one we should sneak into.” Jesper indicates the ant hole to the southwest. He then starts heading in that direction. As he gets closer, Jes creeps along to stay as quiet as possible. His ears remain alert and if at any point he feels threatened, Jesper vanishes from sight.

If the ants attack the party, Jesper goes invisible and leaps into action!
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17
1. Reserved for Invisible Haze
2. Strike: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage: 2d4+3: [2, 3]+3 = 8
3. Strike: 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 , Damage: 2d4+3: [3, 3]+3 = 9
4. Reserved for Dodge: 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6

Parries (just in case): 1d20-1: [2]-1 = 1 , 1d20-1: [19]-1 = 18 , 1d20-1: [4]-1 = 3 , and 1d20-1: [14]-1 = 13
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [13] = 13 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [6] = 6 ; 1d100: [68] = 68
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.


Prowl 1d100: [12] = 12 /29% Pass (To stay unobserved by giant ants.)


Birger listens to the group talk and Kaster/Pip's translation of Eugene's hand speak. "If we're gonna do this, now is likely the best time." Birger agrees. I hope we're doing the right thing, I'd hate to die for nothing. Birger thinks as he follows the others. Birger has the presence of mind to draw his bastard sword and holding it for defense. "If they did leave the gold as a trail, that's very clever." Birger whispers to the others. Birger tries to keep an eye on things, but the stress of the situation makes it more like panicked looking about.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Pip »

((rolls held))
Kaster wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:18 pm Kaster sighs, I don't wanna leave my cart. Even stashed over to the side. Oh well, hopefully someone will do this for me if I ever go missing. He looks around at the group and slides his axe out of the loop on his belt, "If this is what we're doing, we best get on with it. I don't wanna be stuck down that hole when nightfall comes."
"Agreed," Pip responds. "I don't know what would feel safe enough walking around a giant ants nest, but our group is not large enough for me to want to find out."
Kaster wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:18 pm Pulling a length of rope off of his travel pack, he puts it over his shoulder before he goes over to the trail of coins Pip pointed out, "We best leave these here for now. If they lead far into the tunnels, we can follow them back out..... and pick them up then." He gives a little crooked grin.
"Yes, it will be good to have a trail back." Pip agrees. "Hopefully we will not be not needing to run like our tails are on fire."
Eugene wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:58 pm Eugene hearing about the trail looks to see the coin. He signs to Pip
“I think you are right. My gut says the latter. Regardless we should probably check it out. If there is a chance they survived we should try to save them.” They must be terrified. I hope we can save them. He looks in the direction of the trail. He signs to everyone, “If you guys want to check it out I will lead the way.”
Kaster wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:18 pm As he approaches the trail of coin, he claps Eugene on the back, "I didn't really catch what you just said nut it looks like you're ready to go looking for the Tooks." He looks back at the others and says, "We're heading in. If anyone wants to stay behind, look after my cart. I'll be back for it."

"Correct, Eugene said he would lead the way."
Pip confirms for Kaster.
Birger wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:00 am Birger has the presence of mind to draw his bastard sword and holding it for defense. "If they did leave the gold as a trail, that's very clever." Birger whispers to the others. Birger tries to keep an eye on things, but the stress of the situation makes it more like panicked looking about.
Pip also draws his bow as he followed along, then responds to Birger. "It is entirely possible, Eugene seems to think so, but it could also have been a hole in a pouch, it all depends on how random it is. Not that we have that luxury of time to check." Then he notices the otter's nervousness. "There is no need to be so nervous friend, my sense of danger includes danger for those near me. If Jesper’s is the same, we should have plenty of forewarning. So let us be cautious but confident, one of us will alert the rest if something changes."

Prowl: 1d100: [22] = 22 /34%
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5645
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 19th, 20th Year of Longjaw/afternoon
Location: The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge & Gold Road
Environment: Wilderness, just off the road & just southeast of the map


Eugene leads the way after the reluctant heroes sometimes grudgingly find their way to the edge of the mound. Those with a keen nose notice a funky, earthy smell with a couple of sour notes emanating up from the dark pit. Eugene leads the way with Kaster just behind as they effectively just slide down the steep side of the hole to the inside. Jesper, Birger, and Pip meanwhile slink down the steep side rather quietly, taking each step carefully so as not to cause any great disturbance. Once down inside the very entrance of the pit, they have to skirt the hole that continues to descend further down at an ever increasing angle--to go down further will require climbing. The pit is, of course, quite dark once the shaft of sunlight beaming down from the pleasant sky above can no longer extend its cheery brilliance. What seems an aborted tunnel heads north a short way before terminating in a mound of earthen debris. Kaster & Birger let their eyes linger on the mound, noticing the steepness of the cave-in. Their minds are still formulating the thought when Pip's quick wits & engineering background fully informs the picture. This tunnel caved in. The next thought to come unbidden into Pip's mind is more worrisome. Thus, these tunnels may not always be structurally sound. Pip's keen eyes can still gather reflected light well enough to see by though such diminishes rapidly after he rounds the corner. Multiple three foot long, white eggs rustle ever so slightly as he peers at them. He notices a slight white fuzziness to the ground on which they lay. The color is reminiscent of the same off-white he noticed on the trees. He returns to the space near the aperture where the others stand. It's clear that they'll need some form of illumination to proceed beyond this point.

What are your intentions?

(No tokens due to circumstances)
Image


Image
Birger:
Eugene:
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Eugene
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Eugene »

Perception: 50% / 1d100<20: [69] = 0
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 | 1d100: [36] = 36
Status: S.D.C.: 127/127 | Shield 157/157 , H.P.: 23/23
Conditions: Advanced Hearing, Advanced Smell, Advanced Sight
Coma/Death: +14%, Magic (varies): +4 Lethal Poison (14+): +4, Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4, Insanity (12+): +5, Psionics (10+): +4, Horror: +0


Eugene approaches with spear and shield at the ready. When they get to where it is evident they will need a light source, Eugene turns to Pip and Kaster then signs,"I don't have anything to help me see. Can anyone see well in the dark or have a torch?" I should of known we would need a light source. I hate when I am not prepared.
Last edited by Eugene on Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Jesper
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [97] = 97 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 / 1d100: [57] = 57
Conditions: Danger Sense, unless there is a threat, then Invisible Haze
Carrying a lit torch
Skills:
Detect Concealment & Traps: 1d100: [58] = 58 / 25% (mostly searching for weak spots in the tunnels)
Prowl: 1d100: [88] = 88 / 30%

Mandible Hill

So far, so good, Jesper tells himself, standing at the bottom of the hole. He looks up at the last rays of sunshine, knowing that the light will not last much longer. And when Eugene’s hand movements are translated for him, Jes nods in agreement. “I have a treated torch.” It only takes a moment for Jesper to locate it in his pack. Another moment to light it. After shouldering his pack and holding up the lit torch, Jesper takes a look around. “There was a clear trail leading down here…” The collapsed tunnel catches his attention and he makes a point to look and listen for weak spots in the tunnel. Some rabbits are known diggers, but I’d rather not test my ability. His ears remain alert and if at any point he feels as if a tunnel is dangerous, he'll warn the others. If he's threatened, Jesper vanishes from sight.

If the ants attack the party, Jesper goes invisible and leaps into action!
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3
1. Reserved for Invisible Haze
2. Strike: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage: 2d4+3: [3, 4]+3 = 10
3. Strike: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage: 2d4+3: [1, 4]+3 = 8
4. Reserved for Dodge: 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4

Parries (just in case): 1d20-1: [3]-1 = 2 , 1d20-1: [19]-1 = 18 , 1d20-1: [8]-1 = 7 , and 1d20-1: [11]-1 = 10
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
User avatar
Kaster
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [30] = 30
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 1d100: [20] = 20

Sign Language 33%= 1d100: [75] = 75


Sliding down into the any hole, Kaster wonders just how difficult it's going to be to get back out here but when the torch is lit his worries change to the easy at which they could be spotted in this darkened maze.

Pushing his pessimism aside, Kaster looks over the group, "Thanks for the torch light Jasper. It was getting a might dark in here. Everyone look around for the coin trail but be warry of any ants. I don't think they'll look kindly on us for being down here."

However, Kaster doesn't look for the coin. He keeps his eyes firmly fixed on the tunnel around them. I sure do hope these ants are well and away from here for the day. Hopefully we'll have enough time to find the Tooks and get out of here.

As he stands guard over the group, Kaster says, "Be careful of the sides of the tunnel. They might not be as stable as they look. Though if we do get into a chase, a cave in could be a good way to slow the ants down. As long as none of us are caught in it."

JIC combat
Actions: 4
Init: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8
1. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [5] = 5 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [5, 6, 1]+5 = 17
2. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [11] = 11 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [5, 5, 3]+5 = 18
3. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [19] = 19 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [6, 2, 1]+5 = 14
4. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [15] = 15 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [6, 6, 2]+5 = 19

Dodge/parry: 1d20: [13] = 13 , 1d20: [8] = 8 , 1d20: [1] = 1 , 1d20: [18] = 18
User avatar
Eugene
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Eugene »

(Rolls carried over)
Jesper wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:57 pm “I have a treated torch.” It only takes a moment for Jesper to locate it in his pack. Another moment to light it. After shouldering his pack and holding up the lit torch, Jesper takes a look around. “There was a clear trail leading down here…”
Eugene takes the torch and signs, "Thank you." He nods at Jesper's assertion about the trail and then turns back into the tunnel. He holds the torch in one hand and his spear in the other. He moves carefully and as quietly as he can manage. He keeps his eyes open in search of the ants but more importantly, the family he desperately hopes they can save.
Kaster wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:50 pm As he stands guard over the group, Kaster says, "Be careful of the sides of the tunnel. They might not be as stable as they look. Though if we do get into a chase, a cave in could be a good way to slow the ants down. As long as none of us are caught in it."
Eugene hearing Kaster turns, to him in affirmation making eye contact and nods to indicate he understands to proceed with caution.


Action 1: To Strike: To Strike: d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 Damage: 6d6+22: [4, 4, 1, 1, 2, 1]+22 = 35
Action 2: Reserved for Parry
Action 3: To Strike: d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 Damage: 6d6+22: [6, 4, 2, 6, 6, 1]+22 = 47
Action 4: Reserved for Parry
Action 5: To Strike: d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 Damage: 6d6+22: [2, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4]+22 = 36
Dodge: 1d20+3: [3]+3 = 6 , 1d20+3: [18]+3 = 21 , 1d20+3: [17]+3 = 20 , 1d20+3: [9]+3 = 12 , 1d20+3: [5]+3 = 8
Spear Parries: 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2
User avatar
Pip
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [73] = 73 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [12] = 12 ; 1d100: [21] = 21
Conditions:
The character can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
The ability to see at night. There must be starlight or some other light source available to the character; 1000 foot (305 m) range/distance. If the character is in a completely blacked-out area, a cave, for example, then nothing will be visible; is as blind as anyone else.
,
The character has the ability to hear very faint sounds (light footsteps, small animals breathing). The character can also overhear a conversation at a much greater distance than is normally possible. + I on initiative.
,
The character has an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Range: 90 feet (27.4 m) or self.
Duration: Four melee rounds (one minute).
Minimum M.E.: None. Not available to Mutant Humans.
Saving Throw: None.
Cost: 10 BIO-E.
The Danger Sense is a psychic intuition that provides a precognitive flash concerning imminent danger to himself or someone near him (within 30 feet/9.1 m). This includes hidden ambush, snipers, traps, a predatory animal stalking from the shadows, a poisonous snake, land mine, or dangerous situations (bridge can not support his weight, etc.). Danger Sense does not indicate what or where the danger might be, just that it exists and is imminent. Ultimately, it should put the character on alert that something is wrong and he must be careful and ready to act quickly (+2 on initiative to respond to the threat, + I to dodge). Note: The character must specify when the power is being used. It does not work automatically.


Eugene wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:44 am Eugene approaches with spear and shield at the ready. When they get to where it is evident they will need a light source, Eugene turns to Pip and Kaster then signs,"I don't have anything to help me see. Can anyone see well in the dark or have a torch?"
After translating for Eugene, Pip responds. "I can see in the dark, but there has to be some light, like stars. Give me a moment." He then sets down his back to dig out and light his lantern.
Jesper wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:57 pm And when Eugene’s hand movements are translated for him, Jes nods in agreement. “I have a treated torch.” It only takes a moment for Jesper to locate it in his pack. Another moment to light it.
Kaster wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:50 pm Pushing his pessimism aside, Kaster looks over the group, "Thanks for the torch light Jasper. It was getting a might dark in here. Everyone look around for the coin trail but be warry of any ants. I don't think they'll look kindly on us for being down here."
"Yes, Good." Pip adds in. "Better to have some redundancy. And no I doubt they would." After lighting his lantern he attaches it to the outside of his pack, and while he is at it, switches out some of the hunting arrows in his quiver for the rest of his war arrows. Then he closes and shoulders his pack and looks around for the coin trail.
Jesper wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:57 pm After shouldering his pack and holding up the lit torch, Jesper takes a look around. “There was a clear trail leading down here…” The collapsed tunnel catches his attention and he makes a point to look and listen for weak spots in the tunnel. His ears remain alert and if at any point he feels as if a tunnel is dangerous, he'll warn the others.
Kaster wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:50 pm As he stands guard over the group, Kaster says, "Be careful of the sides of the tunnel. They might not be as stable as they look. Though if we do get into a chase, a cave in could be a good way to slow the ants down. As long as none of us are caught in it."
"Good guess Kaster, and good idea." Pip replies. "Step lightly everyone, that collapse does indeed mean that these tunnels may not always be structurally sound."

Prowl: 1d100: [26] = 26 /34% (step lightly, even though he is the lightest character)
Excavation: 1d100: [18] = 18 /39% (look out for unsound sections of the tunnels)

"Another thing." Pip continues. " Before it got too dark, I saw what looks like eggs farther down the tunnel. The ground around them looked fuzzy, and it was white like the base of the trees on that hill." A fungus maybe?

If Pip's Danger Sense triggers he will warn the party.


Actions: 4
Initiative: 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 (+2 if Danger Sense is active, lasts the first minute of combat)

Action 1: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [3, 1]+3 = 7 ).
Action 2: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [5, 4]+3 = 12 ).
Action 3: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [2, 4]+3 = 9 ).
Action 4: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [2, 2]+3 = 7 ).

Parries (With bow or knife) as needed: 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 , 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11 .
Dodges vs Ranged/Unparryable attacks: 1d20: [1] = 1 , 1d20: [11] = 11 , 1d20: [4] = 4 , 1d20: [15] = 15 . (+1 if Danger Sense is active, lasts the first minute of combat)
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
User avatar
Birger
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [79] = 79 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [8] = 8 ; 1d100: [19] = 19
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
,
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
,
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.


Birger doesn't have any commentary to add, so he remains silent. The whole situation is worrisome to the Otter, and his slow methodical movement is in direct result of it. None of this is good. Birger thinks as he slowly follows the folk in front of him. Birger holds his sword in a two-handed defensive style, hoping to be able to deflect whatever may come at him.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5645
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 19th, 20th Year of Longjaw/afternoon
Location: The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge & Gold Road
Environment: Wilderness, just off the road & just southeast of the map


Eugene trods forward slowly with spear and shield, but can barely see past his own trunk such is the darkness. Pip finds that while his eyes collect dim light better than those of his peers, the cave goes absolutely black, lightless not far beyond the entrance. Jesper resourcefulness and preparedness comes in handy once more when he extracts a treated torch from his kit and lights it. Unfortunately, he's looking directly at the torch when it alights, and so he finds himself effectively blind in the darkness while his eyes readjust to the light. Kaster is keeping his eyes peeled for dangers. Pip follows Jesper's example and digs out & lights his lantern. Affixing it to his pack to keep his hands free, he keeps his eyes open for the trail they followed into this warren of winding tunnels. Kaster notes the smell coming from further along in the tunnel, and his eye catches the glint of something shining from the light reflected by Pip's lantern. Near where they entered, where the hole continues down, just inside the lip of the hole on a small, rough shelf of dirt can be seen another coin.

What are your intentions?

Image


Image
Birger:
Eugene:
Kaster:
Jesper:
Pip:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Eugene
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Eugene »

Perception: 50% / 1d100<20: [43] = 0
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 | 1d100: [62] = 62
Status: S.D.C.: 127/127 | Shield 157/157 , H.P.: 23/23
Conditions: Advanced Hearing, Advanced Smell, Advanced Sight
Coma/Death: +14%, Magic (varies): +4 Lethal Poison (14+): +4, Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4, Insanity (12+): +5, Psionics (10+): +4, Horror: +0


Eugene signs, "If I see something I will stop. I will do my best to describe it to you. If attacked I will hold them and we can fight, but if I get overrun, I will do my best to hold them off long enough for you to flee." Eugene walks carefully deeper in the cavern following the trail of coins pointed out by his friends. Focus, Eugene. You have to protect your friends, and we need to save this family if we can. Eugene is being as quiet as he possibly can but stealth is in no way his strong suit, but he remains vigilant prepared for whatever challenge presents himself. He braces for eminent attack with hope he can keep his friends safe.

Initiative: d20: [8] = 8
Action 1: To Strike: d20+5: [10]+5 = 15 | Damage: 2d6+22: [1, 2]+22 = 25
Action 2: Reserved for Parry
Action 3: To Strike: d20+5: [8]+5 = 13 | Damage: 2d6+22: [6, 5]+22 = 33
Action 4: Reserved for Parry
Action 5: To Strike: d20+5: [8]+5 = 13 | Damage: 2d6+22: [3, 6]+22 = 31
Dodge: 1d20+3: [10]+3 = 13 , 1d20+3: [4]+3 = 7 , 1d20+3: [13]+3 = 16 , 1d20+3: [10]+3 = 13 , 1d20+3: [2]+3 = 5
Spear AND Shield Parries: 1d20+7: [10]+7 = 17 , 1d20+7: [4]+7 = 11 , 1d20+7: [20]+7 = 27 , 1d20+7: [8]+7 = 15 , 1d20+7: [8]+7 = 15
Post Reply

Return to “A Tale of Tails (ATB Adventure Forum)”