Job Market Cafe (30)

Government and Business District.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Augur
Admin

Job Market Cafe (30)

Post by Augur »

Open daily from five in the morning until midnight, the Job Market Cafe is a combination internet cafe, coffee shop, diner and meeting place. It seats about two hundred people, serves your standard fare of luncheon food, soup, salads and sandwiches, has some of the best varieties of coffee in town as well as a nice selection of 20 micro-brewery beers, all at reasonable prices. The main draw, however, is finding work in the mercenary trade. The cafe 's owner, Cliff "Fixer" Jones, is well-connected and has his finger on the pulse of the mercenary community - meaning where the latest conflicts are brewing, who's hiring mercs, muscle and mages, what the job pays, and who to contact.

In return for a modest fee (5%), Fixer helps mercenaries, bounty hunters and adventuring groups to find work, providing them with introductions, arranging for meetings and transportation, and presenting valuable intelligence. Fixer Jones is a legend in the business for his ability to hook up the right people for the right job and get things done. As a free service, he keeps electronic bulletin boards on one wall of the Cafe where job postings, bounties, want ads and recruiting pitches are displayed on a rolling video loop. Outside of Mere Ops and the offices in Merc Plaza, the Job Market Cafe is the place to find work, especially small jobs for one man, a duo or small group. More often than not, these are not the biggest, best paying or most glamorous jobs, but they are genuine offers of work at fair wages. Adventurers, gunslingers, headhunters, crazies, mages, and newbies to the mercenary profession flock to this place. Even at midnight and the crack of dawn the Cafe is at least two thirds full, and jam-packed at peak lunch and dinner hours.
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
Megan Price

Re: Job Market Cafe (30)

Post by Megan Price »

Perception: Invalid dice code!/66% (+15% when either Multi-Optic Eyes or Amplified Hearing are active, +30% when both are active)
Just In Case: Invalid dice code!/Invalid dice code!
Constant Effects: Sound Filtration System, Universal Head-Jack
Current Effects, Other:

Megan takes a side trip to Miranda's, stopping at the Job Market Cafe to talk with a friend and one time team member of the same merc unit that her uncle was in before he semi-retired. Before he vanished. Megan thought sourly, even though there was nothing she could have done to stop it one way or the other. She takes a seat at a booth, and when a server comes to her table asking what she wants to order, she says "Coffee, please. Also, would you please let Fixer know that I would like to talk to him. If he asks who it is, tell him it's Megan Price." She almost thought about using the nickname he gave her, but decided to keep it mostly professional.
The Bos
Assistant Game Master

Post by The Bos »

The same older lady with silver hair and a skosh too much eye shadow as last time. "Here you go, hon. He's with someone at the moment -- I'll keep an eye out and let him know you need to see him as soon as he's free." Half a cup later and the waitress comes up behind her. "He's free now, hon. Go on back."

Megan makes her way to Fixer's booth in the back corner of the JMC where he waves her into the booth with a warm smile. "Welcome back, Megan. Heard you and your G.I.R.L.S. were helping out the Defenders. How'd that little op down in the Warrens go? And what brings you by today?"
Megan Price

Post by Megan Price »

Perception: Invalid dice code!/66% (+15% when either Multi-Optic Eyes or Amplified Hearing are active, +30% when both are active)
Just In Case: Invalid dice code!/Invalid dice code!
Constant Effects: Sound Filtration System, Universal Head-Jack
Current Effects, Other:
The Bos wrote:The same older lady with silver hair and a skosh too much eye shadow as last time. "Here you go, hon. He's with someone at the moment -- I'll keep an eye out and let him know you need to see him as soon as he's free." Half a cup later and the waitress comes up behind her. "He's free now, hon. Go on back."

Megan makes her way to Fixer's booth in the back corner of the JMC where he waves her into the booth with a warm smile. "Welcome back, Megan. Heard you and your G.I.R.L.S. were helping out the Defenders. How'd that little op down in the Warrens go? And what brings you by today?"
"I'd rather not say, not because it went south, but because I'm not really sure what I can and can't say, so I would rather play it safe, you know?" Megan replies. She sips on her coffee. "Listen, I remember you telling me that my folks were still alive on a CS Prison Farm somewhere, but you never mentioned exactly where. I understand you had done that to protect me from the urge of trying to break them out on my own. Well, now that I am part of a group, that is more practical." Megan nervously licks her lips and glances around the small cafe. She leans in and in a hushed whisper loud enough for just him to hear "How much would it cost to get someone to scout the base, get a layout of what is where, how many troops are stationed there at a given time, and how many large vehicles, like the Mark V's, and robot vehicles." Leaning back again, she says in a normal voice "I feel I could probably convince Jez in doing this, but not with out some sort of payout, and I was thinking of selling, 'souvenirs', to some very interested people, you know?"
The Bos
Assistant Game Master

Post by The Bos »

Fixer nods and takes a sip of his coffee as Megan is cautiously non-committal. "Heard you lost a gal while you were at it -- that shapeshifting scholar, wasn't it? The one that freaked Polly out by copying her looks last time she was here?" He chuckles. "Pity. A gift like that could come in extremely handy on certain jobs, but it takes a certain mindset to pull it off... and from what little I've seen and heard of her, she'd be better off on a stage than in the field."

His smile evaporates as the subject of conversation turns to her parents. "You're partly right. I don't know exactly where they are, but at the same time I didn't want to dig and find out because I knew you'd try. But I owe the GIRLS a favor because of what you did for Sulley. Give me a couple of days to ask around; I'll put you in contact with someone who can dig up that intel. You'll have to hire them directly yourselves but because it's you and your group I'll waive my normal 'finder's fee' this go-around." He leans in to match Megan's whisper. "And yes it's still a bad idea in my opinion, even with your friends at your back. That's even assuming they're still alive -- and that's not a given at this point."
Megan Price

Post by Megan Price »

(Rolls Held)
The Bos wrote:Fixer nods and takes a sip of his coffee as Megan is cautiously non-committal. "Heard you lost a gal while you were at it -- that shapeshifting scholar, wasn't it? The one that freaked Polly out by copying her looks last time she was here?" He chuckles. "Pity. A gift like that could come in extremely handy on certain jobs, but it takes a certain mindset to pull it off... and from what little I've seen and heard of her, she'd be better off on a stage than in the field."
"She was a shapeshifter?" Megan says in surprise before continuing. "Jez felt that she was a liability not only to herself, but the group in general, and as much as I hate to say it, she wasn't wrong. She acted like she was either a pacifist or afraid of combat or something, I don't really know. All I do know is that it caused her to hesitate a couple of times when she shouldn't have. Not to say that hesitating is a bad thing, but if you do it because you are afraid, it will kill you faster than, well, just about anything. As she left, I did give her some advice to go to MercTown Head Hunter Academy if she still wanted to live this life for some training."
The Bos wrote:His smile evaporates as the subject of conversation turns to her parents. "You're partly right. I don't know exactly where they are, but at the same time I didn't want to dig and find out because I knew you'd try. But I owe the GIRLS a favor because of what you did for Sulley. Give me a couple of days to ask around; I'll put you in contact with someone who can dig up that intel. You'll have to hire them directly yourselves but because it's you and your group I'll waive my normal 'finder's fee' this go-around." He leans in to match Megan's whisper. "And yes it's still a bad idea in my opinion, even with your friends at your back. That's even assuming they're still alive -- and that's not a given at this point."
"What's his going rate? I figure I have just about 200k available for this. I know it's probably a bad idea, but I still have to try, their my parents and I can't just leave them to rot there if they are still alive, especially since it looks like they had been set up to take the fall." Megan tearfully says. "I'm also willing to attempt a rescue of my brother and uncle, but there is even more unknown with that aside from them still being alive last time I got an update from you about them. At least with the CS, I can make some assumptions to who they are and what equipment there is to steal and sell off to the Black Market to pay off my debts to make it happen, you know. Listen, boss lady is waiting on me, more or less, so I need to get going, but if you need to get in contact with me, here's my phone number you can text me at." Megan says as she scribbles down her new phone number and slides it to Fixer.

She gets up, gives his hand a gentle squeeze, and calls him by his given name, something she hadn't done publicly often, and not since before her uncle disappeared. "Thank you, Uncle Cliff."

From there, Megan makes her way to Miranda's Fashion Boutique.
Pantera

Post by Pantera »

Perception: 1d100: [48] = 48 /21% (31% in total darkness)
JIC: 1d100: [29] = 29 / 1d20: [3] = 3

Kibas entered the Cafe, replacing his goggles as he entered. Light was certainly his enemy. He let out a slight grown as he put the goggles over his eyes. He looked for an empty table and made his way there, fearing his height and stature would invite trouble. Once he has taken a seat, he awaits a waitress to come for his order. He pulled out the card he took off Lancer before the Waitress arrives. "I hope Lancer had some real cash on here, otherwise I'm going to look like a fool."

When a waitress arrives, He smiles, "Water please, and do you happen to know a Mr. Kiddie or Mr. Kebab? I was informed by the Constable at the entrance that I was to be meeting someone here. My name is Kibas Rongar if that helps you." His voice remains neutral, though with a voice this deep, it could be considered intimidating to most civilians. Kibas believes that this waitress would not be intimidated. He noted some seasoned mercenaries and bounty hunters, along with some races that would make even his uncle do a double take. If she lived here, she should not be intimidated by a ten-foot-tall feline alien. At least that's what he tells himself as he awaits his drink.
Kibas "Pantera" Rongar

Abilities at all times
Can see clearly in total darkness
Keen sense of smell, vision, and sensitive hearing

Return to “The Hub”