Heroes Haven (145a)

Dominated by the mages of MercTown and shops specializing in magic gear, weapons, and accessories.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Ronith
Group Leader

Re: Heroes Haven (145a)

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 , 1d100: [80] = 80
PER: 1d100: [39] = 39 vs. 94%
Weiss wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:46 pm"Listen to me you arrogant prick, I still don't know if you are who you claim to be. The others are willing to accept you, but that little outburst, your tone and high and mighty attitude, whatever you've been through, it hasn't taught you any humility, social skills or the ability to not consider yourself far superior to the people you work with…So when we get back, you get your wish. I'm done with the Heroes for Hire!"
Ronith responds blithely at first. ”And you find this more suspicious than if I showed up humble? Perhaps you aren’t cut out for this job.” But as the outburst continues Ronith starts to get irritated again, and after he lets Weiss finish he says ”Enough. You’ve made it abundantly clear that you’ll not believe a word I have to say in my own defense, nor the assurances of men who’ve known me far better and far longer than you. You speak to me of arrogance, yet you presume to judge me with precious little thought given to how I’ve spent the last four hundred years. I did what I thought was right, same as always. And it is your choice whether to follow me, same as always. Since you’ve made that choice clear, simply stay out of the way until we get back. I’ve no use for a man who can’t save petty, paranoid squabbling for when we aren’t engaged in a rescue effort. Now be silent.”

Heart heavy at having such a confrontation with one of the team’s members, Ronith tries to put Weiss’ discontent out of his mind as he sees to the evacuation. Nonetheless, doubts fill Ronith’s mind. Maybe he’s right. Maybe I should’ve been less concerned about temporal contamination. What do I know of such things? I couldn’t even turn to Odin for guidance. As he does what he can to help organize the evacuation, Ronith largely broods silently to himself. He either does not see or chooses to ignore the villagers’ payment to the team- although Roniith doesn’t want to deplete their already meager resources, he knows it has been a long time since the team has been paid a proper wage and in light of Weiss’ outburst, he is reluctant to take too heavy a hand in its disbursement. Eventually, they get the villagers where they want to go- Ronith has some doubts about leaving them in another tiny village, but if the new home for these people looks like it might actually be able to support them he decides that it is their choice to make. Once the evacuees are all settled, Ronith brings his hovercycle into the APC and says ”Let’s go home.”

The return to MercTown is a bit emotional for Ronith- although he doesn’t show it. He hadn’t dared show himself too close to town since it truly became MercTown, and it has been a long time since Ronith has seen the Haven. Studiously ignoring Weiss, Ronith remains stoic but finds the hints of tears of joy finding the corners of his eyes. More than a few times, he’d been convinced he’d never see the place again. Ignoring anything but pressing company business Ronith gets everyone situated, goes inside with a perfunctory greeting to Zoe, then heads to his quarters. It had been so long since he’d had a place to call his own, the cyber-knight was all smiles and gratitude as he lay his head down to sleep and had his first decent rest in a long time.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent)
| BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
ISP- 69/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 0/4. Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (1/3); Cleanse (3/3)
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

Perception: 1d100: [1] = 1 /45%
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 ; 1d100: [92] = 92
Active Effects

Keiko listens to the back and forth between Ronith and Wiess. Is now really the time to be having out? Better then letting it fester is guess...Or maybe not. Why are we helping these people again? Oh well. Four hundred years. Ya, it was a little longer then that, but I bet it started to run together for Ronith. Was Ronith worried about the time line? Still Wiess ahs a point. Had he been there when we returned it wouldn't have mattered. Also timeline or not, there are some things that can't be stopped. I'm still confused on how we made it so far back in time. Any Temporal Mage would have killed to be able to move so far back. Everything our magic allows for is brief hiccups in time and to allow for its passage to flow forward. Must have been some kind of crazy thing with the rifts. Anyway doesn't seem like either of them is thinking rationally, but they are not likely to admit it.

Keiko keeps an eye on things, as it's time to go Keiko clambers up into Beauty for a final time. At one point on the trip home Keiko lays a paw on Wiess' arm her voice soft, "I know you're not ok. I'm not going to try and get you to stay, but make sure you keep in touch. There are people here who will worry about you. If you ever need anything just let me know." Keiko will let the rest of the trip pass. She will respond if Wiess keeps the conversation moving. When Keiko must exit Beauty, she looks back at Wiess one last time, "Remember what I said. Keep in touch." She leaves him with a wink and a smile.

Once back at the Haven, Keiko heads to her room, drops her gears and gets a nice hot shower. If I could stay out of those extremally cold areas I would be a happy woman. Once finished, Keiko, dressed in a light cotton shirt and shorts, heads to the kitchen to get something to eat. I'm absolutely starving. Keiko will interact with anyone she sees while she eats.

After a small snack of mostly meat, Keiko will head to bed and see what tomorrow brings.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
Do not PM this Account. Please direct all PMs to Sum of All Fears
Daisuke
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Post by Daisuke »

-----------------------------------
Perception: d%: [12] = 12 | 48%
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 | d%: [94] = 94 %
-----------------------------------
Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Swallowing Limbo [400lbs nonliving] (1/4 people)
    • Gunnar [67.00 min]
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs] (2/4)
    • Wet clothes
    • T-43 Explorer
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs] (1/2)

• HP/MDC: 70/70
    SDC: 211/211
    PPE: 13/13
T-43 Explorer
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50
  • Arms: 20 right | 0/20 left (destroyed)
  • Legs: 25 each
  • Main Body: 70
Weight: 20 lbs
Modifiers: Good to fair mobility, -5% to Climb and Swimming, -12% to other physical skills.
Features:
  • All features standard to Triax environmental armor (p.34, WB5)
Book Reference: p.56, WB 34

Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 28% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +7 (+1)
Magic (varies): +7 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +10 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +15 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +7 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +7 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +16
Psionics (12+): +7
Horror Factor: +12
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +13 (+6)
Conditions

So impressive... Daisuke marvels as Grant demonstrates the depths of power in his reserves through multiple iterations of feats of instant transportation. He nonetheless steps into the background when it comes time to move only making himself available to aid specific villagers with their things.

On the issue of Sir Ronith, his concern fades quickly as the elven cyberknight demonstrates characteristics fairly consistent with the squad leader he remembered and as others on the squad who have known him for even longer seem to accept his identity. In contrast, his concern grows for Weiss. Perhaps the stresses of the mercenary life are weighing heavily on him. I hope he isn't being too hasty. Daisuke thinks quietly to himself as Weiss declares his decision to depart the squad. The exchange between Weiss and Ronith drown out any further contribution the Arismal might make to the conversation.

Back in MercTown:
    "Gunnar is still in stasis within my limbo." Daisuke states when the team returns to New Paducah. "I haven't much experience with MercTown medical services. Where should I take him to tend to his severe injury?"

Assuming he is given a proper recommendation, Daisuke will take their time traveling comrade to be rescued from the brink of death. He will stay with Gunnar until he is stable and resting comfortably, providing more time for the healers to prepare by placing him back in the limbo if necessary.

Once that is done, he will radio his teammates, "Anyone have some credits they'd be willing to advance me? I've got an EBA missing an arm in need of repair and I'd like to look into options for superior protection when we inevitably hit tough combat in the future."
    Grant Latham
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron

Post by Grant Latham »

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100: [3] = 3
    JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 , 1d100: [68] = 68
    Constant Abilities
    Character Sheet
    • Sense Ley Line: 89%
    • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
    • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
    • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
    • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
    • Immune to Possession
    • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
    • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
    • Base Spell Strength: 15
    • Spell Range doubled
    • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
    • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
    • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
    Stats
    • M.D.C.: 97/97
    • I.S.P.: 88/94
    • P.P.E.: 526/656
    • Lord Magus Armor • Main Body: 50/50 Head: 45/45 Arms: 15/15 Legs:30/30
    Sustain (BOM 109 | 12 PPE | 29 days | Provides Air, Food and Water, only need 2 hours of sleep per night)

The push and pull of so much magical energy in such a short period has left Grant feeling exhausted. The short terse replies from Weiss after he'd opened the dimensional portal to ge them home, only in retrospect, register that something may be wrong in the H4H family. Such opposite reactions. I rejoice at Sir Ronith's return, and John is bitter. For us it's only been a few days since we thought we had lost Sir Ronith's and the pain of such loss is still fresh with us. He looks between Keiko and Weiss. Why isn't Keiko saying anything about the consequences of what would have happened if he'd interfered overtly?

His voice is low, as if the effort to raise it is a challenge. "John, we were all upset by losing Sir Ronith in the past, and the suddeness of his return is almost a great as a shock. But keep that in mind, we've travelled through time, both to the past and back to our present. Our trip to the past should have branched us into the multiverse, another dimension. It's a cosmic fluke, that our travel to the present was to the same time stream that we left Sir Ronith. We most likely left our own dimension to one that is almost identical. That is only true because each and everyone one of us took the exact actions we needed to take at the time they happened. If they wouldn't have happened, you might not have lost Jazia, but also not become a father to Zac. Here, now, you have both Jazia and Zac, would you have traded that?" The mage points towards Sir Ronith, "Trust, but verify. Make sure that he is who he says he is, but don't hate him because it turns out to be true. We spent a handful of days in the past, he has spent hundreds of years, can you say that you've struggled or suffered more?" He shakes his head, and heads to his room.

Grant drops his gear haphazardly in his room and lies down to meditate, but it quickly turns to sleep. When he wakes, he organizes his stuff and looks at what the townsfolk gave him. Out loud, to himself, he says, "We brought the mess to their doorstep and they repay that kindness with their life savings probably." He lays out the gems and materials and looks at it with a critical eye to gauge what they are worth. Maybe we should use this to buy them items to help protect themselves.

Appraise Goods 83% vs 1d100: [37] = 37
    Gemology 74% vs 1d100: [81] = 81
    Barter 52% vs 1d100: [32] = 32
    Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record
    Info
    M.D.C.: 97/[color=#FF00000]97[/color] • P.P.E.: 656/656 • I.S.P.: 94/94 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
    • Sense Ley Line: 89% | 100mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 99% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 1500mi • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'

Equipped Gear of Note
    MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
    6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
    Barracuda
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron

Post by Barracuda »

Perception: 1d100: [26] = 26 /46% (61% underwater)
    JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [18] = 18

Barracuda had forgotten about the villagers while fighting for his life against the various demons that tried to drag him to hell. But once the battle was over, he remembered what he was fighting for. The giant hugs from the villagers bring warmth to his heart and purpose to his mission. He hugs back who he can and joins in on the upbeat attitude beginning to spread across the village. Even though they just lost everything.

After some talking, it's decided that the remaining villagers will leave their home behind for a safer locale. Stepping to, he helps the villagers get organized and make sure they would be able to make the journey to Reeve. "I'm sorry sweetie, but that teddy bear is toast. We'll get you a new one, OK? We've gotta gooooo! Ma'am, you want some help getting that outside? No? Alright. Sir, you want a helping... geez..." Everyone was hustling so quickly to get it together that it felt like no one needed his help. Then he laid eyes on one of the remaining elders, struggling to move their rucksack across the floor. "Here, let me help you out, sir." Barracuda walks side by side with the old man and gets him a seat on the APC to make the journey easier. In Reeve, he finds a strong looking person and instructs them "Look after him, alright?"

He ignores the blowup between Weiss and Ronith entirely. Stress is running high. They'll make up in no time. Back on the APC, Barracuda watches excitedly as they head through the portal and back to MercTown. "Oh my god, I need a shower."

At the Haven, Barracuda heads into his room and immediately gets tackled by Striker. "Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy?!" Corwin pets his mechanical mutt and then takes off all of his gear. Placing his Wave Strider armor on the mannequin in his room and King Tide on the wall holster. Plopping down on his bed, he lets himself relax for the first time in a long time. "That sucked. No more demons."

One 30 minute nap later, Barracuda hops in the shower, switches into some clean clothes and heads back into the Haven. First stop? Ash.

Finding Ashlynn, Corwin tries to start a conversation but with all the confidence of a teenager with braces. "So... Mega KillRocket Superstar. You uh... you OK? We really missed you. I mean, obviously because of the whole rescue mission thing. But it was terrible over here. How...how can I help you out?" I've never had something this horrible happen this close before.

When he's done talking with Ashlynn, he gives her a hug and moves on to the next target, Ronith. Checking the gym first, Barracuda tracks the man down and checks in on him. "A lot's changed since you've been gone, man. Grant's done a really good job of leading in your absence. We tracked Ash down, but you know that. You showed up out of nowhere to save the day." Corwin gets silent for a brief moment before continuing, but this time yelling at his normal speaking volume. One of the benefits of controlling sound. "Don't EVER do that to me again! We... we thought we lost you. You're too important to us, to me... for that to happen. Both you and Ash? You're the only family I have, man... all I have." A few tears fall to the ground before Corwin cleans himself up and stands up straight. "Besides, I can't be responsible for defeating all of the evildoers. Pretty sure that's your bag."

Once Corwin and Ronith finish their chat, Barracuda heads over to talk to the magic man himself, Grant Latham. "You did good out there. You had something for every situation and we made it out alive. I don't want to beat around the bush too much, but I'm feeling some sort of weird tension between us. Is everything cool? Did I do something wrong?"

When Grant and Corwin finish up their talk, Barracuda heads to find Keiko. She's not gonna be at the pool, so we can skip that. When he does find her, he nudges her with his elbow. "You swim pretty good for a feline. How're you liking the company so far? Some pretty good people here. So... you're a magic person. What do you think would have happened if I touched that box? I almost did. I just wanted to get it the hell out of there."

Post Keiko conversation, Corwin finds Daisuke. "Hey man, besides those couple of days this is your first time really getting to feel the Haven. Did you pick a room yet?"
    Daisuke wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:56 am "Gunnar is still in stasis within my limbo." Daisuke states when the team returns to New Paducah. "I haven't much experience with MercTown medical services. Where should I take him to tend to his severe injury?"

Assuming he is given a proper recommendation, Daisuke will take their time traveling comrade to be rescued from the brink of death. He will stay with Gunnar until he is stable and resting comfortably, providing more time for the healers to prepare by placing him back in the limbo if necessary.
    Barracuda offers assistance to Daisuke in acclimating to the Haven as well as MercTown however he can be of help, showing him to MercTown State Hospital in the Hub. At some point in the conversation, he drops "So, what's it like? Having other people's powers coursing through your body? It took me so long to master my powers, I can only imagine getting a new set every time you head into the field."
    Daisuke wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:56 am Once that is done, he will radio his teammates, "Anyone have some credits they'd be willing to advance me? I've got an EBA missing an arm in need of repair and I'd like to look into options for superior protection when we inevitably hit tough combat in the future."
    "I've got some credits saved up. I can cover your repairs no problem." Barracuda will loan Daisuke whatever credits he needs up to half of his savings.

Whenever it's all said and done, he heads to bed and gets more than a nap's worth of rest, cuddling his slightly uncomfortable but very cute steampup.
    Barracuda
    Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
    SDC: 121/121
    HP: 23/23
    Critical Strike: 18-20

Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
    Ledger
    Keiko

Post by Keiko »

**Rolls Head Over**

Keiko catches Daisuke's transmission but is unable to reply being in the shower. They always seem to call when I'm busy. Oh well. Seems like someone else got to it. Saves me some money.
    Barracuda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:14 pm
    When Grant and Corwin finish up their talk, Barracuda heads to find Keiko. She's not gonna be at the pool, so we can skip that. When he does find her, he nudges her with his elbow. "You swim pretty good for a feline. How're you liking the company so far? Some pretty good people here. So... you're a magic person. What do you think would have happened if I touched that box? I almost did. I just wanted to get it the hell out of there."
    Barracuda finds Keiko in the kitchen preparing herself a meal. Barracuda's elbow finds her fur, parts still damp from her shower, it's softer then he would have originally thought. It reminds him of the fur of a kitten in it's softness. Which is in direct contrast to the strength of the muscle below it. As Keiko turns to him, her tail gently hits his leg. "Oh hey. Want some?" Keiko is making a peperoni sandwich. She will make him one if he wants. Once done she'll move to a the couch to continue the conversation. Keiko's tail bumping Barracuda every so often is random enough he thinks it might be on accident, but also often enough she might be doing it intentionally.
    "Ya I learned how to swim back in the day. I do enjoy a good beach or pool. Any time I can wear some of my summer dresses or swimsuits is fun. Not a fan of fridged lakes with dimensional prisons in the bottom of them. Oh that box would have done one of two things two you. Killed you on the spot, or sucked you in so what ever was in there could kill you" Keiko giggles, "I guess that's the same result isn't it? I agree it was not a nice place." As Keiko takes a bite of her sandwich her tail gently rests on Barracuda's arm, "So. What is your Atlantis like? I never got the chance to ask you. Last time we talked about it was in the past and I didn't have the chance to ask when we got back." Keiko will listen to Barracuda's description and tales of his Atlantis.

Once Barracuda is finished Keiko replies, "Oh. That sounds nicer than the Atlantis I know. I would love to visit one day. The Splugorth have the run of my Atlantis. And it's not really a safe place for people like me. The Splugorth like to make slaves of my kind, me specifically due to my magic. I dodged them at every turn though." Keiko puffs out her chest, looking quite proud of her self. Barracuda is now very aware she is only wearing a loose cotton shirt. Keiko gives him a short glance before giggling. "You know with you around I might like the water a bit more." Keiko winks at Barracuda, "We should go swimming sometime."
    Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
    I.S.P.: 35/35
    H.P.: 29/29
    S.D.C.: 86/86
    MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
    Helmet - 40/40
    Left Arm 20/20
    Right Arm 20/20
    Right Leg 30/30
    Left Leg 30/30
    Main Body - 60/60
    Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
    Do not PM this Account. Please direct all PMs to Sum of All Fears
    Daisuke
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron

Post by Daisuke »

((rolls carried over))
    Barracuda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:14 pm Post Keiko conversation, Corwin finds Daisuke. "Hey man, besides those couple of days this is your first time really getting to feel the Haven. Did you pick a room yet?"
    Daisuke meets Corwin's congenial dialogue with a broad smile. Certainly a welcome homecoming back to base. "An excellent question. Despite not having sufficient material belongings to 'nest', I certainly see the value in having a designated sleeping quarter." The Arismal closes his eyes for a moment as he accesses his recollection of the layout of both floors of the Haven. Beneath his eyelids, his eyes dart about frenetically. Opening his eyes once more, Daisuke responds, "I believe I will request bedroom #2, situated between Sir Ronith and Commander Latham. It will provide tactical flexibility and potential access to either the armory or conference room in the lower level." Privately amused by the very dry humor embedded within his response, his lips pinch into a thin smile.
    Barracuda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:14 pm "So, what's it like? Having other people's powers coursing through your body? It took me so long to master my powers, I can only imagine getting a new set every time you head into the field."
    "I believe you used the most relevant word... 'master'. Mimickry absolutely does not convey mastery over another's powers. In fact, it is quite nearly the opposite. Soon after adoption of another's power set, one must quickly assess what the abilities are and their limits. I am actually quite reluctant to mimic another during high stress and high impact situations. Were I in your shoes, I would consider my mimic ability most useful in 'temporary helper' type situations. Since it typically manifests as a shadow compared to the real-deal." In reality, my mimic is meant to cover for the fact that I am often overmatched in may physical confrontations. And serves as an equalizer of sorts against deficiencies.
    Barracuda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:14 pm "I've got some credits saved up. I can cover your repairs no problem." Barracuda will loan Daisuke whatever credits he needs up to half of his savings.
    "Thank you for your generosity. I vow that my paychecks will go toward you until the debt is repaid."

Later, when window shopping in the Arms Bazaar, Daisuke's attention is captured by the Triax TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton available at Kraus Imported Arms. "I believe Ashlynn makes good use of one of those combat exoskeletons. Seems lightweight, aptly suited for recon or small squad fast deployment. I'd like to procure one for myself. And perhaps if you pick one up too, we could color-coordinate!" The Arismal beams Corwin a broad smile.
    Grant Latham
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron

Post by Grant Latham »

(Rolls Carried)

Barracuda finds Grant sitting at a desk, looking through the gift the townsfolk when he asks his question about a possible tension between them. Grant is examining a gemstone while looking at an electronic book explaining what qualities to look for, his face
    failed gemology roll in previous post
    as he can't find the identifying markings that would determine the stone's value. The color doesn't match what the book says, and it does appear to have a flaw, but without a jeweler's loop, I can't be sure. He looks up at Barracuda standing next to him.

"I suppose, at it's heart, is I don't know what to call you. It's been less than a year since I've joined the team, but at times it feels like years. When we were introduced, you were Benjamin Berry. However now, you've stated your true name is Corwin, and a prince on top of that. Why you've hidden your identity for so long, I have no idea. I can only guess that you believed you would be in danger if anyone knew. I don't know what has changed. You are essentially the same person in the magical spectrum as before, though the aberrations that appear in your aura from your abilities do appear stronger, I do not see the tell-tale signs of mental illness, possession, or any sort of mental compulsion. Your deeds still confirm you to be the good man that I originally met as well. So know that I do not distrust you at all."

The mage stands up to look at Barracuda in the eye, "Where and when do you want us to call you Corwin? Do you want us to call you Prince Corwin? Is your true name just for us to know, and out in public we should be calling you Ben or by your callsign?"
    Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record
    Info
    M.D.C.: 97/[color=#FF00000]97[/color] • P.P.E.: 656/656 • I.S.P.: 94/94 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
    • Sense Ley Line: 89% | 100mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 99% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 1500mi • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'

Equipped Gear of Note
    MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
    6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
    Ashlynn
    Bronze Level Patron
    Bronze Level Patron

Post by Ashlynn »

Perception: 82% /87% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100: [82] = 82

JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15
    JIC: 1d100: [63] = 63

Ash watches with unfolding horror as Weiss and Ronith have a falling out. What's going on? What's happened while I was gone?

Ash puts it out of her head and helps organize the refugees' evacuation as best she can, striving to keep families together and keep people provisioned and cared for until it's their turn to go through one of Grant's portals. Huey, for his part, is inseparable from the bouncy hero, and she finds calm, if not contentment, in feeling his emotions.

I am not alone.

Once back at Merctown, Ash retreats to her room to find it exactly as she left it, at once both a comfort and a surprise. Still, in many ways, it feels like a stranger's home. Part of me feels like I just left... and part feels like I've been gone an eternity. I get these flashes... memories. Not mine, exactly, but from my point of view, in my body... and they feel ancient... and the things I do in them... She shudders. The things I feel...

She feels the warmth of love emanating from Huey before she feels his bulky body thud against her leg, making a noise that might be purring if he were a cat, but comes out as a sort of chirpy gurgling. She smiles at him. He feels what youy feel Ash. Try not to worry him overmuch.

She turns, leaving her room - this stranger's room - and goes to find Ronith back settling in.

She lingers a moment by his door before knocking.

"Sir Ronith? I..."

There's so much to say...

A memory comes to her of her one-time father-figure, the Kill-cat Pangur Ban.
    a memory wrote:"Easy girl - don't bury me in your feelings. Tell me what's important... save the rest for another time."
    "I owe you an apology. Back... on that rooftop. I made a huge mistake. I... I was trying to help, t... trying to save you all. I .. I'm sorry... I didn't know what I was doing. What I was getting into. Gods know I've made dumb mistakes before. Nearly blew up Heroes Haven. An'... And I'll understand if... if you think I haven't been living up to the cyberknights code as I promised to."

But that's not all - you've been like a dad to me, moreso than a boss - you gave me a home when I didn't have one an' a family when I needed one, an' you sacrificed everything to try to find me, hunting me for hundreds of years, an' that's a debt I can never repay, an' there's just too much! Too much to say all at once! The part of her mind that she partitioned off in the cold north, the part containing her suffering, torment, fears, that part threatens to break, spilling everything everywhere. She takes a moment, and switches back to the other partition, the business part of her mind that gets shit done when a normal person might not be able to. Her posture straightens, her face hardens slightly.

"If you need me to leave... I will. I'll pack my things and go from here, and keep my promise to you to live according to your code as best I can."

"But I would like to stay."

Leaving her conversation with Ronith, Ashlynn, outwardly stoic but shaken internally, meets with Barracuda.
    Barracuda wrote: "So... Mega KillRocket Superstar. You uh... you OK? We really missed you. I mean, obviously because of the whole rescue mission thing. But it was terrible over here. How...how can I help you out?"
    The part of her she has partitioned off screams in rage and pain.

She smiles. "I'm good, 'Cuda," she lies.

Nodding, she adds, "It's... prolly gonna take me some time to process everything. I got a lot of memories to sort. I'm sorry to have been so much trouble... and... thank you. I knew you guys would come for me. And you did." She slips into his arms and gives him a hug, standing on tiptoe to rest her chin on his shoulder as she holds him tightly.

"You guys're the best. An' you'll always be my family."

Daisuke wrote:"Gunnar is still in stasis within my limbo. I haven't much experience with MercTown medical services. Where should I take him to tend to his severe injury?"
    "... who? Who's Gunnar?"

Assuming she is told of Gunnar, and his promise to help bring her home, and his sacrifices, the dam holding back all of her pain from the rest of her mind begins to crack. That poor guy - I didn't even know him and he gave everything to save me... What'd I ever do to deserve that?

The rage - at Unsere, at fate, at herself - swells up like a massive wave, pounding at the wall of her psyche.

The pain - at seeing so may dead, at being the cause (either directly or indirectly) of more death, at her own ignorance having led to this cascade of trauma - swells up, redoubling the wave of rage, beating at the dam of her mind with echoing, thunderous force.

The fear - of what dwelled within her for so long and what it made her do that she might not even know, of whewther she might be vulnerable to another entity like Unsere, of the part of her that relished the power - adds the icy chill of death to the wave battering her defenses.

She feels the pull of Huey's feelings, concern, mixed with love, pulling her from the brink. She looks down at the bookwyrm, looking up at her with sadness.

Eyes welling with tears, she says nothing, staggers back, and retreats to the garage to try to be alone.

Entering the garage, Ash tries to compose herself, Huey anxious at her side. She sees Weiss, Jazia, and Zac loading up the Beauty with their possessions.

Her mouth falls open. "Wh.. what's going on?"

When Weiss tells her that he can't stay, she listens, numbly. As if through a fog, she says her goodbyes, to Weiss, to Zac - the little brother she never had - and to Jazia, who accepted her readily though they had little time to get to know one another. She nods her way through the mostly-empty promises to keep in touch, echoing them but knowing that this world, especially, contains no guarantees, and she is just as likely never to see them again as not. She stands, on the verge of tears as they finish loading up, and as the Beauty leaves the garage, with Weiss, Zac, and Jazia aboard, She feels like a part of her is torn away.

First mom and dad. Then Pangur Ban, Ishmael, Hagbard, and T'avi. Then Yanso, Yojimbo, and the others. And now Weiss and Zac and Jazia.

A thought hits the dam of her psyche like a missile.

Who will I lose next?

And with that, the partition she built in her mind collapses, and she is flooded with the repercussions of her bad decision, hundreds of years ago. She crumples to her knees, tears flooding her eyes, fists clenched, and screams silently against the torment. Through her tears she sees the Beauty pass out of view, carrying part of her family in it. She fights the urge to run, give chase, FORCE them to come back. Instead, she kneels on the garage floor, quivering in pain and sorrow and anger. She stays there, tears streaming down her face until she has no more to give, her body wracked with silent sobs until there is no more strength to cry, and, in the end, her consciousness surrenders, and she passes into sleep.

It is icy cold, and she feels weightless, as she did floating in the frozen lake. In front of her, the form of Unsere, drifting in and out of view in the darkness.
    A dream? wrote:"Is it possible you miss me already?"
    She throws her head back in a callous laugh.

Ashlynn peers at the being with deep hatred and rage.
    A dream? wrote:"Relax, girl. I'm not really here. You're alone."
    It chuckles.
    A dream? wrote:"You'll always be alone."
    "You're wrong."
    A dream? wrote:"Oh, am I? You have lost nearly everyone you hold dear. Your family rips itself apart over and over again - it is the nature of families to do so. Eventually death or discord claims all families."
    "Liar."
    A dream? wrote:"Not so. I speak only the truth, as we agreed. In life, all is temporary. Family is no exception."
    Ashlynn frowns. Pangur Ban is dead... but... I still hear him in my head all the time. I remember his advice... and... he guides me. Same with Ishmael, and Hagbard. T'avi? Inwardly, she wonders why she does not well remember the m'raghiile mystic. I remember mom and dad, though I was still little when I lost them. They're... they're still a part of me.

"Family IS an exception. Death can't break love. When you love someone, when... you make someone family, you take parts of them into yourself, and they stay with you, even past death. You think because Weiss and Zac and Jazia is gone now that they're not my family any more? You're wrong. You think because Pangur Ban, Ishmael, Hagbard, T'avi, even mom and dad, are dead that I don't hear their advice in my mind, let their care for me guide me? No. They live on, as part of me. And I don't know what the future holds... my future with the Heroes for Hire... but I know that if we ever part, they'll still - ALWAYS - be part of me. You're wrong... like you've been wrong about everything."

The eidolon of Unsere chuckles.
    A dream? wrote:"Interesting. And here you are, dreaming of... me. Does that make ME family?"
    "That makes you a scab that won't heal."
    Ashlynn
    AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 45/45
    S.D.C.: 68/68

TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
    OOC Comments
    M.D.C. by Location:
    • Helmet: 45/45
    • Arms: 40/40 each
    • Legs: 45/45 each
    • Main Body: 42/100

Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, and +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
    Features:
    • All Features of Triax EBA
    • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
    • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
    • Infrared & thermal masking

N-F20A Medium Force Field (integrated into FreeRunner Exoskeleton)
    OOC Comments
    M.D.C. by Location:
    • Force Field: 75

Features:
    • 10 hour duration per E-clip
    Ronith
    Group Leader

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 , 1d100: [92] = 92
    PER: 1d100: [88] = 88 vs. 94%
    Daisuke wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:56 am"Gunnar is still in stasis within my limbo." Daisuke states when the team returns to New Paducah. "I haven't much experience with MercTown medical services. Where should I take him to tend to his severe injury?"
    Ronith responds immediately with, ”The MercTown Hospital. I shall accompany you, and make sure that there’s no question of paying the bill.” Ronith waits a moment as if expecting someone else, then remembers with a start that Daisuke mentioned his limbo- the patient is already with them With an awkward half-nod, Ronith leads the way. At the hospital, Ronith walks in- and actually doesn’t remember to introduce himself for several minutes. When he does realize that he can walk openly through down again, he will find an attendant and say ”I am Sir Ronith Turand of Heroes for Hire. We have a compatriot who has been grievously wounded currently being held in dimensional stasis. Is there somewhere we can safely release him so that his wounds may be treated?” That, and immediately paying any bills associated with Gunnar’s treatment, are all the cyber-knight has to say at the hospital. But, at an appropriate time afterwards he will turn to Daisuke and say ”I seem to remember you joined us not too long ago. We haven’t had much of a chance to talk since then- how are you finding things on the team? On Earth, for that matter?”

Ronith will spend a restless night in his quarters, the comfortable bed notwithstanding. The room feels so unfamiliar- his memory of his last night spent in the Haven so faint he can barely recall it. Weiss’ departure has left him feeling vaguely guilty and uneasy, as if he were intruding where he didn’t belong. It would be the height of irony, that, to spend so many centuries focused on returning here, to this moment, that I would proceed. Heedless of the possibility that my time away might change me to the point where I no longer belong here. Did I win back my former life only to realize that I’ve lost it forever? When sleep comes, it is troubled. When morning comes Ronith is up early to, you guessed it, do some warm-ups in the gym.
    Barracuda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:14 pm"A lot's changed since you've been gone, man. Grant's done a really good job of leading in your absence. We tracked Ash down, but you know that. You showed up out of nowhere to save the day... Don't EVER do that to me again! We... we thought we lost you. You're too important to us, to me... for that to happen. Both you and Ash? You're the only family I have, man... all I have." A few tears fall to the ground before Corwin cleans himself up and stands up straight. "Besides, I can't be responsible for defeating all of the evildoers. Pretty sure that's your bag."
    Somewhat taken aback by Barracuda’s emotional response, Ronith fights the tears that threaten to cloud his eyes as he claps the man on the shoulder. ”Corwin, I…” His voice breaks and he coughs once, awkwardly. ”That means a lot, thank you. I confess, I intended to be there when you all emerged from the rift to the past- would’ve made for quite the dramatic entrance, and I’d hate for all of you to think me dead. But I got a lead of my own on Ashlynn, and I decided I had to pursue it even if it meant I’d be late. Had I known you would still beat me to her, I might have chosen differently but…” He smiles, and tightens the shoulder-pat ”I knew that I’d left the team in good hands, and that they’d be fine with you- and apparently Grant- to lead them. I knew you wouldn’t let me down- and apparently, I have two capable lieutenants now. Well done.” Releasing Barracuda’s shoulder, he adds ”Unfortunately, there are enough ne’er do wells for us both. I confess, Weiss’… departure had me questioning myself. But with you behind me, I know I made the right decision.” Ashlynn will likely find Ronith soon thereafter.
    Ashlynn wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:34 am"Sir Ronith? I... I owe you an apology. Back... on that rooftop. I made a huge mistake. I... I was trying to help, t... trying to save you all. I .. I'm sorry... I didn't know what I was doing. What I was getting into. Gods know I've made dumb mistakes before. Nearly blew up Heroes Haven. An'... And I'll understand if... if you think I haven't been living up to the cyberknights code as I promised to... "If you need me to leave... I will. I'll pack my things and go from here, and keep my promise to you to live according to your code as best I can... But I would like to stay."
    Ronith is all smiles when he first sees the young woman. ”Ash! How are you feeling?” As Ronith gets his answer, that smile turns upside-down and his expression grows increasingly troubled. He’ll let Ashlynn speak her piece, since it’s clearly weighing on her, but it’s all the cyber-knight can do to restrain himself from immediately trying to reassure her. When she’s done, Ronith replies ”Young lady, I did not weather an apocalypse and four centuries of darkness to retrieve you from that thing simply to dismiss you the second we succeed. You made a mistake- alright, two mistakes, but the Haven is fine now. This business with the demon is… worse, I’ll not lie to you, and I fear that unforeseen consequences to it wait for us in the future. It may prove to be a terrible mistake, but your heart was in the right place. You were prepared to sacrifice yourself to protect innocents from the Splugorth. That, more than anything else, is the single core truism of the code. Some in the order would no doubt condemn what you did; hel, I might even have been one of them once. But, well I’ve” he coughs ”made my own mistakes ”uh, if the order expelled everyone for an honest mistake, the result would be miniscule to the point of losing all efficacy. I guess what I’m trying to say is” he pats her shoulder with a smile ”don’t do it again. Now you know, such creatures are almost always malevolent, and not to be bargained with. Keep an eye out for any lasting effects- to yourself most of all- and let me know if you ever want to talk about it. I know it can’t compare to losing your body to a monster for so long, but I like to think I have some notion of what four centuries of…” Purgatory? Hell? ”…that might be like. I’m here if you need me.”

After lunch, Ronith will call an impromptu meeting. ”After lunch I intend to head out to the Granite Hall. I haven’t checked in there in… some time, and while I’m there I can also put the word out to the order about that strange dimensional box we found. When I return, we can portal to Dweomer and do the same with the Three. In the meantime, well…” if you didn’t know better, you’d think he was nervous ”…I want to thank Barracuda and Grant for the leadership of the team in my absence, and apologize to all of you for leading you to think I had perished for longer than necessary. My focus was on saving Ashlynn, and I think it could be fair to say that towards the end I became somewhat… myopic. Had I known how things would play out, I would have decided differently, not least in so blithely assuming command in the midst of a tense situation. I was eager to rejoin the team, and I let that eagerness blind me to Weiss’ entirely valid concerns. While I’ve spoken to several of you individually since my return, it would be unfair of me to say that I am exactly the same as the man you once knew. All I ask for now is the opportunity to prove my continued capability and commitment to do good works in the world. I believe that that goal is facilitated by my continued leadership of this team, with Grant and Barracuda as my seconds, but I also believe that it is wrong of me to ask you to follow a commander that you do not trust with your lives. While I am gone, I encourage you to discuss any concerns amongst yourselves, and if need be elect Grant to continue as team leader. I will serve in a purely advisory capacity, and either way I hope to serve with honor.”

Barring an immediate vote of no confidence, Ronith will continue ”Grant, I think your skills are best served liaising with the collegiate arcane whilst I’m gone. See if they have any information on this box; if nothing else, they should be able to help you keep an eye on it remotely. Possibly even connect with Lazlo. Barracuda, I would like you to take anyone that’s not busy and find us a new job. The villagers’ life savings notwithstanding, the company has been running low on funds for some time and we could use an infusion of cash. Oh, and if you can-“ he adds with a devilish grin in Ashlynn’s direction ”And if she thinks she’s up for it, take Ashlynn somewhere nice in the Warrens where she can stretch. Put her through her paces- just the thing after a long convalescence. We can compare notes when we get back- oh, and I’d be obliged if someone checks on Gunnar while I’m gone. Anything else?”

If anyone needs credits, Ronith has a couple million to spread around and he won’t be shy about doing so. ”Do you have any idea how long it’s been since I’ve been able to actually use these?” Other than that, he will see to his preparations after lunch- basic rations and camping gear, just enough for the trip to the Granite Hall and back. Once he’s ready, he hops on his hovercycle and heads out of the city.
    I am better than you. You just don't know it.
    Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent)
    | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
    No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
    ISP- 69/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
    Frostfang Heals: 0/4. Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (1/3); Cleanse (3/3)
    Barracuda
    Diamond Level Patron
    Diamond Level Patron

Post by Barracuda »

Perception: 1d100: [2] = 2 /46% (61% underwater)
    JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 / 1d100: [26] = 26

Keiko
    Keiko wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:42 am Barracuda finds Keiko in the kitchen preparing herself a meal. Barracuda's elbow finds her fur, parts still damp from her shower, it's softer then he would have originally thought. It reminds him of the fur of a kitten in it's softness. Which is in direct contrast to the strength of the muscle below it. As Keiko turns to him, her tail gently hits his leg. "Oh hey. Want some?" Keiko is making a peperoni sandwich. She will make him one if he wants. Once done she'll move to a the couch to continue the conversation. Keiko's tail bumping Barracuda every so often is random enough he thinks it might be on accident, but also often enough she might be doing it intentionally.
    "Pepperoni? I'm in." He takes the sandwich and heads to sit with Keiko on the couch. Dang, that fur is really soft. I have a dog, should I get a cat? No, that might get weird. Tail... that's just a twitch, right? Right.
    Keiko wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:42 am"Ya I learned how to swim back in the day. I do enjoy a good beach or pool. Any time I can wear some of my summer dresses or swimsuits is fun. Not a fan of fridged lakes with dimensional prisons in the bottom of them. Oh that box would have done one of two things two you. Killed you on the spot, or sucked you in so what ever was in there could kill you" Keiko giggles, "I guess that's the same result isn't it? I agree it was not a nice place."
    "Ha! Well, it's a good thing I didn't touch it then. Ugh, so many dimensions and different time periods. We should probably write a book. Were you there for the Greylands? That place was depressing. And there were zombies. 2 out of 10 stars."
    Keiko wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:42 am As Keiko takes a bite of her sandwich her tail gently rests on Barracuda's arm, "So. What is your Atlantis like? I never got the chance to ask you. Last time we talked about it was in the past and I didn't have the chance to ask when we got back." Keiko will listen to Barracuda's description and tales of his Atlantis.
    Tail! It's just a twitch...it's just... so soft... "Ummm... Atlantis! It was beautiful. I actually only visited once. I'm Lemurian from the Pacific Ocean and Atlantis is in the Atlantic. Back home, Lemuria was a reclusive society that had outpaced the surface dwellers in technology by hundreds of years. The people were well taken care of by my mother and they loved her. They would have learned to love me too but I couldn't stay. It was too much pressure. Sometimes I wonder, what if? But I'm here now and life is good."
    "When I was in Lemuria for 3 months, I got to be part of a diplomatic envoy to the other major aquatic power, Atlantis. Lemuria took the hidden approach and Atlantis wanted to take the surface world for their own. Warlike, not very kind. We had a tenuous relationship with each other. They could try to conquer the seas but we could have destroyed anything they threw our way. Forcefield generators could withstand any assault until they wore themselves out and left us to pick up the pieces. Anyway, we took the Wavecrester halfway across the world and I got to see Atlantis for the first time. The people looked human, just like me but everyone had tattoos. Cultural thing I guess. Anyway, their city had the basics of ours except they kept the water out. It was gorgeous, there was a a huge pyramid but we weren't allowed in there as outsiders. The actual meeting was boring stuff and probably when I decided that I didn't want to be King. Dealing with politics has never been my bag. I just want to help people."

Keiko wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:42 am Once Barracuda is finished Keiko replies, "Oh. That sounds nicer than the Atlantis I know. I would love to visit one day. The Splugorth have the run of my Atlantis. And it's not really a safe place for people like me. The Splugorth like to make slaves of my kind, me specifically due to my magic. I dodged them at every turn though."
    "I've only had run ins with their minions, but that's bad enough. I hate tyrants. How many mercs would it take to free those poor people? Probably way more than we could gather. There's a reason they're still in control. I'm glad you didn't end up a slave. Your fur is way too soft for that. I mean... that's not the only reason...but it doesn't hurt."
    Keiko wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:42 am Barracuda is now very aware she is only wearing a loose cotton shirt. Keiko gives him a short glance before giggling. "You know with you around I might like the water a bit more." Keiko winks at Barracuda, "We should go swimming sometime."
    Slightly flustered, Barracuda moves his eyes from the shirt to Keiko's face. "Yeah... I think I'd like that."

Daisuke
    Daisuke wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:01 pm
    Barracuda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:14 pm Post Keiko conversation, Corwin finds Daisuke. "Hey man, besides those couple of days this is your first time really getting to feel the Haven. Did you pick a room yet?"
    Daisuke meets Corwin's congenial dialogue with a broad smile. Certainly a welcome homecoming back to base. "An excellent question. Despite not having sufficient material belongings to 'nest', I certainly see the value in having a designated sleeping quarter." The Arismal closes his eyes for a moment as he accesses his recollection of the layout of both floors of the Haven. Beneath his eyelids, his eyes dart about frenetically. Opening his eyes once more, Daisuke responds, "I believe I will request bedroom #2, situated between Sir Ronith and Commander Latham. It will provide tactical flexibility and potential access to either the armory or conference room in the lower level." Privately amused by the very dry humor embedded within his response, his lips pinch into a thin smile.
    That was the weirdest response ever. Please be funny. We need more funny. "Heh, alright. Number 2 it is. Let me know if you need any help getting set up."
    Daisuke wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:01 pm
    Barracuda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:14 pm "So, what's it like? Having other people's powers coursing through your body? It took me so long to master my powers, I can only imagine getting a new set every time you head into the field."
    "I believe you used the most relevant word... 'master'. Mimickry absolutely does not convey mastery over another's powers. In fact, it is quite nearly the opposite. Soon after adoption of another's power set, one must quickly assess what the abilities are and their limits. I am actually quite reluctant to mimic another during high stress and high impact situations. Were I in your shoes, I would consider my mimic ability most useful in 'temporary helper' type situations. Since it typically manifests as a shadow compared to the real-deal."
    "Whoa. So Jack of all Trades, Master of None. I get it. What's the coolest power someone's had that you've gotten to copy? If I could grab on to someone else's gifts, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Imagine fighting and then boom! you're as quick and nimble as Ronith. Bad guys wouldn't stand a chance. Falling off a building? Now I'm Ash and I'm bouncing all over the place. Wait, can you use your powers at the same time? Like, do that cool gateway thing and then bouncy ball someone's face in? That'd be bad ass."
    Grant Latham
    Grant Latham wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:29 am "I suppose, at it's heart, is I don't know what to call you. It's been less than a year since I've joined the team, but at times it feels like years. When we were introduced, you were Benjamin Berry. However now, you've stated your true name is Corwin, and a prince on top of that. Why you've hidden your identity for so long, I have no idea. I can only guess that you believed you would be in danger if anyone knew. I don't know what has changed. You are essentially the same person in the magical spectrum as before, though the aberrations that appear in your aura from your abilities do appear stronger, I do not see the tell-tale signs of mental illness, possession, or any sort of mental compulsion. Your deeds still confirm you to be the good man that I originally met as well. So know that I do not distrust you at all."

The mage stands up to look at Barracuda in the eye, "Where and when do you want us to call you Corwin? Do you want us to call you Prince Corwin? Is your true name just for us to know, and out in public we should be calling you Ben or by your callsign?"
    Prince Corwin of Lemuria AKA Benjamin Berry AKA Barracuda ponders the question Grant posed. "Hmm...I hadn't thought about how it'd effect you all. Here's a little story. When I was a baby, I washed up on shore in a city called Santa Cruz which I was told means Holy Cross. I was in an orphanage up until I was 9. They named me Benjamin there. I didn't have a last name. I was young enough that it didn't bother me, but looking back, it couldn't have been healthy for me. I think the orphanage and being pretty lonely instilled the value of compassion in me. I live to help and this is why. I was adopted by Julian and Kate Berry and they gave me their last name and taught me how to truly live. For once, I wanted to do a good job, I wanted to impress them. So I went from being Benjamin to Benjamin Berry. You still following me?"
    "Age 18, 4 years ago, we get attacked by some bad guys out on our boat. Dad dies, mom hangs on but dies pretty soon after. But I got hit with some sort of energy blast and that unlocked my powers. My mom passed and to honor her and dad, I crafted my superhero persona after our boat, Barracuda. I fought crime alongside the Agents of Might and felt like I was truly making a difference."
    "Then I took a pilgrimage to mecca. Or at least my version. I found out who I was before I washed up on that shore and went back to my 'home'. I met the Lemurian people, found out that I was an exiled heir to the throne and learned about my heritage. I didn't stay, but the lessons were invaluable."
    "It's taken me years of thinking about it but I want to be called by my birthname to honor where I come from. In the field, call me Barracuda. Here, call me Corwin. But most importantly, I want you to call me 'friend'."
    Barracuda extends his right hand for a shake to let Grant know, he respects him and wants the same.

Ashlynn
    Ashlynn wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:34 am Leaving her conversation with Ronith, Ashlynn, outwardly stoic but shaken internally, meets with Barracuda.
    Barracuda wrote: "So... Mega KillRocket Superstar. You uh... you OK? We really missed you. I mean, obviously because of the whole rescue mission thing. But it was terrible over here. How...how can I help you out?"
    The part of her she has partitioned off screams in rage and pain.

She smiles. "I'm good, 'Cuda," she lies.

Nodding, she adds, "It's... prolly gonna take me some time to process everything. I got a lot of memories to sort. I'm sorry to have been so much trouble... and... thank you. I knew you guys would come for me. And you did." She slips into his arms and gives him a hug, standing on tiptoe to rest her chin on his shoulder as she holds him tightly.

"You guys're the best. An' you'll always be my family."
    Barracuda give her a big hug and mumbles "You can't leave again...you're the only one with good jokes around here."

Ronith
    Ronith wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:11 am
    Barracuda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:14 pm"A lot's changed since you've been gone, man. Grant's done a really good job of leading in your absence. We tracked Ash down, but you know that. You showed up out of nowhere to save the day... Don't EVER do that to me again! We... we thought we lost you. You're too important to us, to me... for that to happen. Both you and Ash? You're the only family I have, man... all I have." A few tears fall to the ground before Corwin cleans himself up and stands up straight. "Besides, I can't be responsible for defeating all of the evildoers. Pretty sure that's your bag."
    Somewhat taken aback by Barracuda’s emotional response, Ronith fights the tears that threaten to cloud his eyes as he claps the man on the shoulder. ”Corwin, I…” His voice breaks and he coughs once, awkwardly. ”That means a lot, thank you. I confess, I intended to be there when you all emerged from the rift to the past- would’ve made for quite the dramatic entrance, and I’d hate for all of you to think me dead. But I got a lead of my own on Ashlynn, and I decided I had to pursue it even if it meant I’d be late. Had I known you would still beat me to her, I might have chosen differently but…” He smiles, and tightens the shoulder-pat ”I knew that I’d left the team in good hands, and that they’d be fine with you- and apparently Grant- to lead them. I knew you wouldn’t let me down- and apparently, I have two capable lieutenants now. Well done.” Releasing Barracuda’s shoulder, he adds ”Unfortunately, there are enough ne’er do wells for us both. I confess, Weiss’… departure had me questioning myself. But with you behind me, I know I made the right decision.”
    Relieved at Ronith's response, Barracuda is able to turn his tears into a smile. "Welcome back home, Ronith." He takes his leave and yells "Heroes for Hire are back, baby!"
    Ronith wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:11 am After lunch, Ronith will call an impromptu meeting. ”After lunch I intend to head out to the Granite Hall. I haven’t checked in there in… some time, and while I’m there I can also put the word out to the order about that strange dimensional box we found. When I return, we can portal to Dweomer and do the same with the Three. In the meantime, well…” if you didn’t know better, you’d think he was nervous ”…I want to thank Barracuda and Grant for the leadership of the team in my absence, and apologize to all of you for leading you to think I had perished for longer than necessary. My focus was on saving Ashlynn, and I think it could be fair to say that towards the end I became somewhat… myopic. Had I known how things would play out, I would have decided differently, not least in so blithely assuming command in the midst of a tense situation. I was eager to rejoin the team, and I let that eagerness blind me to Weiss’ entirely valid concerns. While I’ve spoken to several of you individually since my return, it would be unfair of me to say that I am exactly the same as the man you once knew. All I ask for now is the opportunity to prove my continued capability and commitment to do good works in the world. I believe that that goal is facilitated by my continued leadership of this team, with Grant and Barracuda as my seconds, but I also believe that it is wrong of me to ask you to follow a commander that you do not trust with your lives. While I am gone, I encourage you to discuss any concerns amongst yourselves, and if need be elect Grant to continue as team leader. I will serve in a purely advisory capacity, and either way I hope to serve with honor.”
    "I don't think we need to do too much talking. Ronith has led us through thick and thin. While I'm glad both myself and Grant got the chance to fill those shoes, I think it's Ronith who should be placed back in charge."
    Ronith wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:11 am ”Barracuda, I would like you to take anyone that’s not busy and find us a new job. The villagers’ life savings notwithstanding, the company has been running low on funds for some time and we could use an infusion of cash. Oh, and if you can-“ he adds with a devilish grin in Ashlynn’s direction ”And if she thinks she’s up for it, take Ashlynn somewhere nice in the Warrens where she can stretch. Put her through her paces- just the thing after a long convalescence. We can compare notes when we get back- oh, and I’d be obliged if someone checks on Gunnar while I’m gone. Anything else?”
    "Heh, done and done."
    Barracuda
    Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
    SDC: 121/121
    HP: 23/23
    Critical Strike: 18-20

Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
    Ledger

Return to “The Mystic Quarter”