Welcome to Merctown

Coming to MercTown via land? You'll have to enter through one of the City Gates. A free MAP and GUIDE of MercTown is provided upon arrival.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Post Reply
User avatar
Augur
Admin
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: lloyd.ritchey at gmail

Welcome to Merctown

Post by Augur »

Image

As you approach the massive, fortified, outer walls of MercTown a voice booms at you once you are within five hundred feet or so.
Loudspeaker wrote:ATTENTION! YOU ARE BEING SCANNED BY EVERY PSYCHIC, MAGIC, AND TECHNOLOGICAL MEANS KNOWN. SUBMIT TO THE DEFENDERS AT THE GATES ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED. SURRENDER ALL LONG-ARMS, POWER ARMOR, AND ROBOT COMBAT VEHICLES. REMOVE AND SURRENDER ALL WEAPONS CONTROL CHIPS IN YOUR VEHICLES. ANY RESISTANCE, ATTACK, OR FAILURE TO OBEY THE DEFENDERS WILL BE MET WITH DEADLY FORCE.
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
User avatar
Beckett
Group Leader
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: P.A.S. - PC
Contact:

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Beckett »

Perception: 1d100: [5] = 5 / 74%
JiC d20 | d100: 1d20: [7] = 7 | 1d100: [85] = 85

Samantha pauses right outside the portal that was opened up. She waits for the rest of mercenary team known as MARS walk through. "So, we have a little bit of another walk. Once we get past the gates we'll head on back to base."

When she gets greeted by the MercTown Defender, "Samantha Beckett, leader of MARS. Returning from a successful mission. Heading towards the outskirts back to our HQ. We picked up a straggler, and he's coming with us. Do you need me to fill out any paperwork?" She is referring to Drake as she points the cyberknight, waiting for the response, Paperwork, the legacy of civilization.

Samantha looks over at Rocky, What am I going to do with you? With a grimace, "Rocky, you need some medical attention. We are going to get Jennifer to come pick you up, and then take you wherever you need to go. I know she has connections in town, and probably knows the best bio-mechanic there is within MercTown. In fact..."

Samantha pulls out a communication device and calls Jennifer "Jennifer," she starts off not wanting to freak the woman out. "Rocky is alive, but he is hurt. I'd like you to meet us at the MercTown State Hospital." She listens, "Yeah, he's a little drugged out to talk. But he would really like you there.... Okay, see you soon."

To the team that is with her through the portal, "We are going to drop Rocky off at the hospital, on our way."
Quantum
H.P.: 49 / 49 S.D.C.: 59 / 59
CBR Mk. 2 Light Armor - Valkyrie Upgrade M.D.C. by Location: -15% to physical skills
Helmet - 45/45; Arms (2) - 30/30 each; Legs (2) - 50/50 each; Main Body - 105/105; Undersuit - 25/25
LP-l0H Heavy Laser Pistol: 2d6+2 MD; 16/16 Shots per e-clip; +1 Strike
User avatar
Drake
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:33 am
Location: MARS PC
Contact:

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Drake »

Perception: 1d100: [92] = 92 /55%
Just in Case: 1d20: [2] = 2 ; 1d100: [63] = 63
Conditions: None.


HP: 40/40
S.D.C.: 87/87
I.S.P.: 31/31
Little Brother M.D.C. (Main Body): 275/15, (Head): 105/110, (Right Arm): 75/100 (Left Leg): 70/150


Drake rolls up behind Beckett, dropping the kickstand of his bike. Drake waits till Beckett is done talking and passes before he talks to the guards. "Afternoon fellas. Been out for a while. I know the drill." Drake says before handing over his rifle for storage. Drake waits for the chit for his gun before heading after Beckett to M.A.R.S.' base of operations.

M.A.R.S. Compound (213a)
"I hear black and I have no mercy." ~Drake, during the black rage. EP
"The sun persists in rising, so I make myself stand." -Katniss Everdeen
"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves." ~The First Histories of Man.
User avatar
Twonjym
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:04 pm

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Twonjym »

Perception: 68% = 1d100: [63] = 63
JIC 1d20: [4] = 4 1d100: [65] = 65

Conditions: Personal MDC: 152/62; NG-P7 eclip 8/5

Townjym exits the portal and follows the others over to the side, "Come on Pepe, let get over here and outta the way." He pets the Robo-Wolf as the Defenders do their thing. Signing and agreeing to whatever they ask in order to gain entry to the city. After a second, Jim grins and asks the Defenders, "You hear the one about the one armed psychic? No, well ask him." Jim points over to Rocky as he steps out of the portal.

"I'm good to go? Great. Come on Pepe, lets get home." Jim follows the other back to the M.A.R.S. Compound (213a)
Last edited by Twonjym on Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twonjym "Jim" Miklar
Status
MDC: 134/134

Horror/Awe Factor: 12 (8 as a Gunfighter)
User avatar
Vera Morozov
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 12:48 pm

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Vera Morozov »

Perception: 1d100: [93] = 93 / 44%
JiC d100: 1d100: [28] = 28 ; JiC d20: 1d20: [19] = 19
Constant Effects
Awe/Horror Factor: 12 (+2 if religious or fearful of angels)
Language Translator: Auto-Translates languages at 98.7% accuracy, 70% accuracy for 3-6 speakers. Knows 10 most common languages.
Amplified Hearing: Can hear almost inaudible sounds up to 360 feet away; can track by sound as a skill at 50%.
Passive Nightvision: Nightvision using ambient light out to 2,000' (Range increased to 6,000' when used with telescopic sight)
Light Filters: Reduces glare.
Sound Filters: Diminishes potentially damaging sounds.
Lung with Gas Filter and Oxygen Storage: Can breathe w/out air for up to 2 hours; immune to toxic gases, 94% chance nerve and poison gas do nothing.
Once Vera exits the portal, she looks about the area, still fairly unfamiliar with Merctown.
I suppose I can call this place home now, at least for the next few days.
She will pass the guards the rifle she has on her, finding the act just a touch silly given her augmentations, and especially given Twonjym's presence as well. Still, she complies, taking the chit. "
Take care not to scratch it up, yes?
"
she says to the guard.

She will then proceed with the others to M.A.R.S. Compound (213a) once she is through the gates.
Vera Morozov
A Russian Angelus ex Machina!
M.D.C.

N-F40A Heavy Force Field
  • Force Field M.D.C.: 110/110
L1-B1 Light Infantry Armor
  • Main Body: 150/150 M.D.C.
  • Right Arm: 20/20 M.D.C.
  • Left Arm: 20/20 M.D.C.
  • Right Leg: 35/35 M.D.C.
  • Left Leg: 35/35 M.D.C.
  • Head: 15/15 M.D.C.
  • -5% to Physical skills such as Acrobatics, Climbing, Gymnastics, Pick Pockets, Prowl, and Swimming.
M.D.C. by Location
  • Head - 150/150 M.D.C. with Helmet
  • Main Body - 290/290 M.D.C.
  • Right Hand - 30/30 M.D.C.
  • Left Hand - 30/30 M.D.C.
  • Right Arm - 90/90 M.D.C.
  • Left Arm - 90/90 M.D.C.
  • Right Leg - 120/120 M.D.C.
  • Left Leg - 120/120 M.D.C.
  • Right Foot - 65/65 M.D.C.
  • Left Foot - 65/65 M.D.C.
  • Right Wing - 175/175 M.D.C.
  • Left Wing - 175/175 M.D.C.
  • Main Rear Jets (3; small) - 40/40 each
  • Lower Maneuvering Jets (3; even smaller) - 25/25 each
  • Wing Mini-Missiles (8; self-launch) - 15/15 M.D.C. each
  • Concealed Forearm Lasers (2; 1 per arm) - 10/10 M.D.C. each
Weapons & Attacks
Hand-to-Hand Combat:
  • Claw Strike - 3D4 M.D.
  • Head Butt - 2D4 M.D.
  • Restrained Punch - 1D4 M.D.
  • Full Strength Punch - 2D6 M.D.
  • Power Punch - 4D6 M.D.
  • Kick - 2D6 M.D. +2D6 M.D. from the Vibro-Blade damage.
  • Flying Leap Kick or Power Dive (feet first) - Does 1D6x10 - Special effect, see character sheet for details.

Vibro-Scythe: 4D6 M.D. (+2 from W.P. Polearm); Range: Melee or 600' when thrown.
Vibro-Scythe Ion Blaster: 2D6 or 4D6 M.D.; Range: 1,200'; Payload: 28/30, rechargeable via cable to cyborg power supply, or half by E-Clip (15 shots).
Concealed Forearm Lasers: 1D6 M.D. for single, 2D6 M.D. for dual blast (counts as one melee action); Range: 1,600'; Payload: Effectively Unlimited
Giant-Sized Vibro-Blades: 1d4x10 M.D.; Range: Melee
Wing Mini-Missiles: AP Missiles 1D4x10 M.D., Plasma Missiles 1D6x10 M.D.; Can fire one at a time, or in volleys of two or four; Range: 1 mile; Payload: 8/8, 4 AP and 4 Plasma. - Not Present at Moment.
Constant Effects
Awe/Horror Factor: 12 (+2 if religious or fearful of angels)
Language Translator: Auto-Translates languages at 98.7% accuracy, 70% accuracy for 3-6 speakers. Knows 10 most common languages.
Amplified Hearing: Can hear almost inaudible sounds up to 360 feet away; can track by sound as a skill at 50%.
Passive Nightvision: Nightvision using ambient light out to 2,000' (Range increased to 6,000' when used with telescopic sight)
Light Filters: Reduces glare.
Sound Filters: Diminishes potentially damaging sounds.
Lung with Gas Filter and Oxygen Storage: Can breathe w/out air for up to 2 hours; immune to toxic gases, 94% chance nerve and poison gas do nothing.
Image
User avatar
Rocky
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58 am
Location: PAS
Contact:

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Rocky »

Perception: 80% 1d100 1d100: [94] = 94
JIC d20: 1d20 Perception: 80% 1d100
JIC d20: 1d20 1d20: [17] = 17 / d100: 1d100 1d100: [21] = 21

Rocky pops In at the Gates of Merctown on a stretcher. He is out of it, and His team moves him along.
Mom Dad I’m Ok just a little woozy.

Rocky pops In at the Gates of Merctown on a stretcher. He is out of it, and His team moves him along.
Mom Dad I’m Ok just a little woozy. Yes, Hades open a portal I'll be OK.,
Rocky
Stats & Stuff
P.P.E.: 11
I.S.P.: 216
H.P.: 49
S.D.C.: 81
Active Powers
Heightened Presence Sense:Range: 70’, 76% for precise # and pinpoint location of presence
Duration: constant, auto sense all presences concentrate 1d4 melees to get exact location
Horror Factor: 14 when intangible
Sense Supernatural Evil Range: 1000' costant
Sense Magic Energy Range: 1900' constant
Sixth Sense
Shadow Cloak M.D.C.: 15
AOI: 60
TW Thunder Gun
Crystal Armor: Main Body: 35, Forcefield: 70
UTI Zapper Gun: 15 shots per E-clip
Crystal Assault Rifle: 40 shots/ must use 8 ISP/shot
2 Phase Swords

Image
User avatar
Clear and Present Danger
Assistant Game Master
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 8:56 am
Location: Merctown

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Clear and Present Danger »

As MARS arrives at the Gates, home appears to by mostly unchanged since they left. A line of wayward travelers are all waiting as the slow procession lets them all have their chance to be scanned and admitted into the free city.

MARS are the eye of a number of jealous line-waiters as they make their way down the nearly empty line dedicated to returning residents. ”This way, This way.” A heavily armored Defender motions the team forward as they approach. An equipment rack and a table are set up just next to him and another Defender has a rather bulky device reminiscent of a Geiger counter. ”Halt for identification!” The first Defender holds a hand up to motion for the group to stop. As he does so, the second Defender immediately begins scanning the team, only by one. ”Beckett, Samantha.” The first Defender announces as the second says something behind his helmet. They motion Sam through to the weapon racks. ”You know the drill.”

As Samanthas equipment is checked the Defenders focus on the next ember of the team to stride forward. ”Drake, Oliver.” The Defender nods, recognizing the Cyber-knights extended absence but motions him forward nonetheless, towards the weapon check.The rest of the team is similarly checked through with little hassle. Everyone receives receipt chit’s for their gear and are ushered through entry customs at an expedited speed.

Beckett feels a number of eyes on her as she passes down the line, nothing out of the ordinary until she notices a pair of MercTown Defenders near a security entrance appearing to watch her team with an attentive gaze. As he gaze leaves the two Defenders, the hair on the back of her neck raises. She could feel them continuing to watch her and her team as they entered the city.
User avatar
Jack O'Connell
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 8:36 am

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Jack O'Connell »

Perception: 15% 1d100: [80] = 80
JiC d20: 1d20: [4] = 4
JiC d100: 1d100: [59] = 59

As Jack makes his way to the gates with the rest of the crowd, he can't help but think how much Merctown reminds him of Arzno. Surely in a place like this, there ought to be somewhere for him to ply his trade. Hearing the demands of the gate guards as he gets closer, Jack checks the saftey on his rifle and presents himself for inspection. He holds his rifle out for it to be seized and flashes a toothy grin.

"Pleased to meet you, officers. I'm willing to cooperate in any way necessary and would be mighty obliged if y'all would willing to point me to somewhere a man might find gainful employment."
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Game Master
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Sum of All Fears »

Jack O'Connell wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:29 am
As Jack makes his way to the gates with the rest of the crowd, he can't help but think how much Merctown reminds him of Arzno. Surely in a place like this, there ought to be somewhere for him to ply his trade. Hearing the demands of the gate guards as he gets closer, Jack checks the saftey on his rifle and presents himself for inspection. He holds his rifle out for it to be seized and flashes a toothy grin.

"Pleased to meet you, officers. I'm willing to cooperate in any way necessary and would be mighty obliged if y'all would willing to point me to somewhere a man might find gainful employment."
Jack notices the line moves with good efficiency for the amount of scanning they claim to be doing on people. The defender nods to Jack as Jack hands over his rifle. "Not many people check the safety before handing it over. Much appreciated." The gruff voice is sincere as the man looks over Jack's documentation. "You know I'm not supposed to recommend things beyond sending everyone to the Job Market Cafe, but seeing as how you seem to be a good sport. I'll tell you that a group called MARS just returned from a job. One of theirs was injured. Might be an opening there for you." The man shows Jack the MARS HQ on the map and passes him through the checkpoint after handing him a ID chit for his rifle.
M.A.R.S. GM / Atlantis GM

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: The Apothecary (AAPS/Spooks AGM); Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks PC); Keiko (H4H PC); Raz I'Syul Arro (GR PC); Hellhound (VR PC)
User avatar
Phinneas_Graves
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:29 am

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Phinneas_Graves »

Perception: 30% 1d100: [58] = 58
JIC: 1d20 | 1d100: 1d20: [9] = 9 | 1d100: [84] = 84

In what looks like epileptic fits, Phinneas dances along the road heading to Merctown. Every few yards in between, he stops to kick a stone in one direction or the other while singing, "Crazy, crazy, crazyyyyyyy......I'm feeling so crrraaaaaaaaaaazzyyyyyyyy todayyyyyy.....".

Hearing the booming announcement begin from the loudspeaker, he stops dead in his tracks and listens intently. Phinneas then grasps the frag grenade hanging from a chain around his neck and brings it up to eye level, staring wide-eyed into the 2 eyes and smile painted on it's side in worn white paint. "Well, well, well, Mr. Boom Boom. Take a look at this place." He then faces the grenade towards the massive walls of Merctown and turns it left to right, as if helping the little painted on face see everything. When their eyes meet again, Phinneas silently mouths "Woooowww" to the grenade. "What do you think? Shall we go?" He looks at the grenade intently. "Excellent. This place looks like it could be fun!"

Phinneas makes his way to the queue of the checkpoint. When it's his turn for inspection, he plops his Vibro-Axe down on the table and says, "Allow me to introduce myself, (mouthing a drumroll) I am Phinneas Graves!" After not more than a couple seconds he adds, "Oh yes, how inconsiderate of me.......May I also introduce my traveling companion, the esteemed Mr. Boom Boom!"
Phinneas Graves
Current stats
S.D.C. 134/134
M.D.C. 110/98
P.P.E. 21/21
Ammo: 192/188
User avatar
Aegis of No Retreat
Assistant Game Master
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:48 pm

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Aegis of No Retreat »

At the checkpoint, the MercTown Defender begins running a scanner over Phinneas, but comes to a sudden halt when he introduces his dear traveling companion. Immediately, his hand twitches toward his holstered sidearm. "Sir. I am going to have to ask you to place Mister Boom Boom on the ground. And slowly take three steps back."

Word (like via radio comms) has gotten around and the other Defenders nearby are ushering the others waiting in line to a safe distance away from Phinneas.

Assuming Phinneas complies, it is 5 minutes before an individual clearly a bomb specialist in full armored regalia arrives on scene to give Mr. Boom Boom a complete physical. A few minutes after that, the bomb specialist has a brief sidebar with the original Defender before he hands him a small grey device with a small hole in the center. Nodding, the bomb specialist heads off.
Image

Phinneas' original checkpoint Defender turns to address him. Adopting a more relaxed stance.

"Mister Graves, I request permission to attach this device to the top of... Mister Boom Boom. It is a pin-trigger explosive neutralizer. While in New Paducah, Mister Boom Boom will need to have this on so that if the pin is pulled, an ablative foam will quickly quench any explosion, preventing him from harming others. When you leave the town, any checkpoint Defender can safely remove this device. This is a requirement for Mister Boom Boom's entry into the city. Otherwise, he will need to wait in a locker with your long arms and other explosive ordinances. Do you agree and comply with the rules I have just spoken to you?"
User avatar
Phinneas_Graves
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:29 am

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Phinneas_Graves »

Phinneas raises an eyebrow at the guard. He then looks down at the grenade and starts to speak to it, as if trying to have a private conversation, but it is still loud enough for the guards to hear. "Mr. Boom Boom, what do you think? Can we trust these guys?" He listens intently to the grenade. "Yes, I know they're just doing their jobs, but....." He acts as if the grenade has cut him off mid sentence. "OK, OK, I guess they do need to scan you as much as they scan me." Phinneas removes the chain from around his neck and bows down to place Mr. Boom Boom on the ground. Seven incredibly shiny metal rods protruding from his scalp glisten in the light as he does so, and he takes 3 steps back. He stares intently at the inspecting guard, "No funny business. I'm very fast."

After the bomb technician inspects the grenade and has his sidebar with the original inspecting guard, Phinneas relaxes slightly and listens to the guard ask permission to install the device and inspects the device as the guard shows it to him. "You want to give Mr. Boom Boom a hat? Wow, Boom Boom! They must have heard of you already. They want to give you a hat to walk around in!" Phinneas looks at the others waiting in the inspection queue and sticks his tongue out at them slightly. "See that? I don't see anyone else getting a hat....." He looks back at the guard, "I do believe that Mr. Boom Boom would love to wear a hat. It will distinguish him even more to the dwellers of your fine city. "

At this point, Phinneas drops to a prone position and crosses his legs behind him, swaying them back and forth, and rests his chin on his hands waiting in an almost giddy anticipation for the guard to place the device on the grenade.
Phinneas Graves
Current stats
S.D.C. 134/134
M.D.C. 110/98
P.P.E. 21/21
Ammo: 192/188
User avatar
Aegis of No Retreat
Assistant Game Master
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:48 pm

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Aegis of No Retreat »

It's true. Mr Boom Boom strikes quite the dashing figure with his new hat on. Phineas almost wonders if his buddy should wear it ALL the time (not just while in MercTown).

Once that bit of business is sorted away, the two of them are allowed into New Paducah.

Practically metropolitan, Phineas finds himself surrounded by new sights, sounds and smells.

He eventually finds himself snacking on some manner of street food while strolling through the magnificence that is The Hub.

There, he spots a bit of a gathering in front of a formidable high tech complex ((Naruni Enterprises Building)) and heads in for a closer look.

A massive 25 ft tall holo-projection loudly exclaims:

Flash Employment. Limited time only! 100k Universal credits signing bonus NOW!

Beneath the words, is a countdown clock. There seems only to be about 5 minutes remaining. A ragtag group of mercenaries seem to be signing up, and filing into deployment drop pods in the rear of what looks like a vertical lift asset ((Naruni version of Triax Dragonfly)). Phineas counts 4 such drop pods, quickly estimating that at most a squad could fit in each pod ((8-12 per squad)).

But this opportunity must not have been around for long. The line of mercenaries are only filling up the second pod and there simply aren't enough people nearby to occupy the other two.

An enthusiastic-looking Uteni flanked by four Repo-bots alights at Phineas' arrival and waves him over. His slitless mouth speaks with melodious clarity and without regional accent.

"Want to make a quick hundred grand? One of our logistics facilities is under attack and we need some extra muscle. Hop in the pod and we will place a 100k cred-stick in your hands. A quick 50 mile ride and we'll drop you off to get a chance to earn your pay. Also, any battlefield salvage is yours for the taking. We just want to repel these awful invaders who are looking to disrupt our business operations."


=============
GM note: Please continue posting here (not Naruni Enterprises Building). This opportunity is your way to link up with GIRLS in the field. Next GM update will be an adventure thread.
=============
User avatar
Phinneas_Graves
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:29 am

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Phinneas_Graves »

As he finishes some kind of flesh on a stick, Phinneas listens to the Uteni's offer. He looks inquisitively at the Uteni, trying to figure out how it is talking with no mouth hole. "100k you say? Me and Mr. Boom Boom just got into town though...." He pauses for a second in thought. Seeing the countdown timer winding down, he replies in an almost whiny voice, "Oh alright......100k will let us have some fun when we get back." As he makes his way to the ship, it look as Phinneas is talking to himself. "See that Boom Boom? I guess people HAVE heard of us here. I hope we get some time to relax when we get back."

Phinneas climbs into an available seat in one of the pods. As he sits and waits for takeoff, Phinneas yells back to the Uteni, "Hey! No mouth guy! Do the cred sticks of these other guys count as salvage when they die? I mean, I'll be fine, but these other guys look like they won't make it too long!"
Phinneas Graves
Current stats
S.D.C. 134/134
M.D.C. 110/98
P.P.E. 21/21
Ammo: 192/188
User avatar
Pantera
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 14, 2022 1:44 pm

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Pantera »

Perception: 1d100: [58] = 58 /21%/31% in total darkness
JIC: 1d100: [68] = 68 and 1d20: [7] = 7

Kibas found himself after four days removed from his arrival to this world. He has spent the last few days avoiding large creatures. Just the day before, he had to fly below the tree line as a large reptilian creature dove towards him. It looked similar to a creature he saw on Jerrick 7, a Terry Something. All he really remembered was how damp the world was.

But that wasn't the only issue he was dealing with, as he lacked the necessary food and water for the past few days. His gift, the ability to go without sustenance, was nearing its end. Four days was pushing it, but he continued onto his journey. But then he saw it, as the sun began to set, a city just coming into view.

"By Killrath, finally civilization!" Kibas exclaimed as he landed 100 yards from the opening. He could feel the heat from the sun still upon his body even though the sun was falling below the horizon. Kibas marveled at the fortress city, one he had never seen before in all his travels. He saw an opening, the entrance to the gate, and floated over. "Grandest Evening, what manner of city is this place?"
Kibas "Pantera" Rongar

Abilities at all times
Can see clearly in total darkness
Keen sense of smell, vision, and sensitive hearing
User avatar
Armstrong
Game Master
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 am

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Armstrong »

As Kibas flies towards the gate, one of the guards spots him and motions him to land on a side strip by the gate evidently used for small flying vehicles or people. As he does so, one of the guards, his face visible through a transparent visor on his helmet showing him to be human, approaches him.
Pantera wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:46 pm "By Killrath, finally civilization!" Kibas exclaimed as he landed 100 yards from the opening. He could feel the heat from the sun still upon his body even though the sun was falling below the horizon. Kibas marveled at the fortress city, one he had never seen before in all his travels. He saw an opening, the entrance to the gate, and floated over. "Grandest Evening, what manner of city is this place?"
The guard looks at Kibas funny and scrunches up his face.

"Do you require the use of the radio to communicate?" he asks, his expression slightly exasperated, "if not, please communicate verbally and don't clog up the airwaves unnecessarily."

He seems to be listening intently to something for a moment before he continues to speak to you.

"Welcome to Merctown. Guessing you didn't mean to come here if you don't recognise the place or even know where you've arrived. No matter, wouldn't be the first visitor we have had like that."

He holds out an electronic tablet for Kibas to take from him, whilst holding out his left hand to be handed something.

"Please complete the form. If you don't read, there is an audible option available in several languages. Merctown regulations state no longarms allowed within the city limits. You will be provided with a token to reclaim the longarm from storage when you depart."
OOC Comments
I m presuming Kibas is speaking English as he recognises the language on the sign
quick tip for formatting
for general speech
for radio speech
Roughnecks GM
User avatar
Pantera
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 14, 2022 1:44 pm

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Pantera »

Perception: 1d100: [88] = 88 /21%/31% Total darkness
JIC: 1d100: [97] = 97 / 1d20: [6] = 6

Kibas paused for a second when he heard the human speaking of the radio. He took off the helmet and immediately brought the googles immediately from his belt to his eyes. After getting them on (one handed) he turned his attention to his helmet. "My apologies. I was unaware this thing even had a radio. One moment." Kibas placed his hand into the helmet and immediately found the dial that turned off the helmet's radio mic. "Blasted thing had a radio the entire time? I would not be surprised if the battery isn't close to dead."

Kibas attached the helmet to his belt before bringing his attention to the guard. "Again, my apologies. I had to take this off a smuggler." With practiced movement, he brought his rifle off his shoulder and removed the e-clip from the weapon. Placing the e-clip into his pouch belt, he handed the rifle to the guard butt stock first. He then turned his attention the form. As he filled it out, he looked up at the town for a moment. "Does this city have protection from orbital strikes? I do not see the standard force field generators and pillars standard on most worlds." Kibas returned to finishing up the form.

"Merctown?" Pantera handed back the form, "I wonder what else is inside." he said out loud to no one in particular.
Kibas "Pantera" Rongar

Abilities at all times
Can see clearly in total darkness
Keen sense of smell, vision, and sensitive hearing
User avatar
Armstrong
Game Master
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 am

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Armstrong »

The guard stands there, waiting patiently as Kibas sorts out his helmet and then hands over his rifle. He slings it over his shoulder and hands Kibas
Pantera wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:22 pm Does this city have protection from orbital strikes? I do not see the standard force field generators and pillars standard on most worlds." Kibas returned to finishing up the form.
"Yeah, that's going to mark you out as not a local," the guard remarks drolly, "if you expecting anythig like that, you will be sorely disappointed." He sounds like this is the sort of conversation he has had before too many times.
Pantera wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:22 pm "Merctown?" Pantera handed back the form, "I wonder what else is inside." he said out loud to no one in particular.
"Well, we'll provide you with a ...." the guard's voice tails off as he looks at his screen, back at Kibas and then back at his screen again, his face slightly befuddled. He starts to open his mouth, stops, closes it again and looks at his screen.

"You have never been here before correct?" he asks, his voice betraying some confusion. Assuming an affirmative from Kibas, he hesitantly turns his pad and shows Kibas the screen. Displayed is an image of a pencil drawing of Kibas or at least a very strong resemblance.
Roughnecks GM
User avatar
Pantera
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 14, 2022 1:44 pm

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Pantera »

Perception: 1d100: [48] = 48 /21% (31% Total Darkness)
JIC: 1d100: [77] = 77 / 1d20: [2] = 2

Kibas looks the guard over as he stopped mid sentence. "It is correct, I have not been on this planet before. Why? Are Concol not allowed in this city?

When the pad is turned, Kibas takes a knee and removed his goggles he looks closer at the picture. "It is a wonderful artistic rendering, May I have a copy please? Kibas looked around as the sun's position was much lower. He looked around just as the sun dipped below the wall of MercTown. "Do you have someone doing these renditions? Because it was done fairly quickly." Kibas clipped the helmet to the belt and put the googles back on his head, but not over his eyes. Though the light was bright, it was fairly visible to him in the shadow of the wall.

Though he could withstand it, there was a rumble from his belly. "Forgive me, it has been nearly four and a half days since I have had a meal. Is there a restaurant or commissary that you would recommend? Someplace with an abundance of meat?
Kibas "Pantera" Rongar

Abilities at all times
Can see clearly in total darkness
Keen sense of smell, vision, and sensitive hearing
User avatar
Armstrong
Game Master
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 am

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Armstrong »

Pantera wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:12 pm Kibas looks the guard over as he stopped mid sentence. "It is correct, I have not been on this planet before. Why? Are Concol not allowed in this city?
The guard looks at you funny as he tries to figure out if you are messing with him or not. He gives up and explains.

"No, if something is banned from Merctown, its probably nasty enough to be shoot on sight like Xicitix or Splugorth. Since we ain't shooting at you, as long as you follow the laws, you can come in."

Pantera wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:12 pm When the pad is turned, Kibas takes a knee and removed his goggles he looks closer at the picture. "It is a wonderful artistic rendering, May I have a copy please? Kibas looked around as the sun's position was much lower. He looked around just as the sun dipped below the wall of MercTown. "Do you have someone doing these renditions? Because it was done fairly quickly." Kibas clipped the helmet to the belt and put the googles back on his head, but not over his eyes. Though the light was bright, it was fairly visible to him in the shadow of the wall.
Turning the pad back around, he looks at the data connected to it.
"This was date stamped 3 months ago, and it comes with a note. When Mr Kiddie, Mr Kebab, Mr Kibas arrives, please direct him to the Job Market Cafe. It doesn't say who you are meeting, but ...whoa, it was listed on behalf of Blackman Intelligence Resources. You are already getting the attention of somebody quite influential. Not sure if I should be envious or worried for you."

He hands Kibas a map and points out the location of the café. "You will be able to get food there, though maybe the person you are meeting will spot you a meal. Guessing you don't have any currency. NEXT!" The Guard waves you through as your rifle is handed off.
Roughnecks GM
User avatar
Pantera
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 14, 2022 1:44 pm

Re: Welcome to Merctown

Post by Pantera »

Perception: 1d100: [89] = 89 / 21% (31% in Total Darkness)
JIC: 1d100: [91] = 91 / 1d20: [7] = 7

KIbas listens to the names. Though stunned by the news the drawing was three weeks ago, other than a slight tense flinch, Kibas tries not to show it affected him. He listens to the other names, "I understand. Thank you, Constable, for your help."

Kibas enters the area and while not overwhelmed by the sight, he still marveled at the sight of so many races walking around. A few he recognized, Humans, being the most easily recognizable, but he made notice of the other races, some he had never seen. "Now, where is this Cafe..." he said under his breath.
Kibas "Pantera" Rongar

Abilities at all times
Can see clearly in total darkness
Keen sense of smell, vision, and sensitive hearing
Post Reply

Return to “The City Gates”