Scheduled Maintenance:
 ! Message from: Tiree
Planned Maintenance Outage: EU and SR
When: 09DEC2020 @ 1800 PDT - approximate outage time 30 minutes

Board Issues: Report Here

Torment

The continuing adventures of an arrogant elf, and the masochists who join him on his fools errands.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Torment

Post by Keiko »

Perception: 1d100 = 41: 41/36%
JIC: 1d20 = 7: 7; 1d100 = 15: 15

[ooc=Active Effects]
  • Dimensional Attenuation: 110 Miles
  • Excellent hearing and smell
  • Sixth Sense
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 400 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
[/ooc]


Keiko keeps the smile on her face as the conversation comes to an end, "Well this was fun, but you're right the decision has been made." Keiko flashes a wink in Daisuke's direction, "We'll have to do it again some time." He was fun to play with. Silly boy got flustered at the end there. Too bad we didn't have more time...Oh well.

Keiko's ears flick when she listens to Grant call out their target. One lone Alu? They are fair hunters. They live for the hunt, like I do. But they generally run in teams or small packs. They can also turn invisible the Sheriff is lucky he saw it at all. Wait why didn't Grant mention that over the radio? Did he not know? Must have slipped his mind. Do I mention it? I don't see this creature getting the better of this group. But Ronith for all his code is a glory hound. Going in by himself. Well I guess I won't say anything. I am new and this will be a good gauge of everyone when things don't go to plan.

Keiko stays near Daisuke ready to provide back up should it be needed. Keiko pulls her axe into her right hand and unclips her whip with her left. Smile still on her face she waits for the portal to open. Keiko will be right behind Ash.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86

[ooc=MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor]Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.[/ooc]
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Torment

Post by Virtus »

Conditions
Time: Day 4, 07:02pm (deep darkness, moon is hidden behind thick clouds)
Temperature: 12F
Visibility: 50ft (heavy fog)
Wind: 10mph out of the Northwest
Snow: 24"
Radio Traffic: light, heavy interference
Magic Use: Magic within 500ft. nexus rules in effect. Supernatural evil is detectable within 500ft and all will sense it within the scope of time.
Nexus Present within 1 mile
Open Rifts within 1 mile
Ronith instructs Daisuke to bring the team in. Ronith sneaks in and wields Frostfang. Grant also slips in, aiding Ronith in quickly dispatching the Alu. His mind contacts the demon's. He smashes the creatures serenity as it leaps almost 30 feet, but stumbles. Ronith brings Frostfang down in a deadly arc, carving off cursed flesh. Grant traps it with a magic net as Ronith hits it again with his sword as it tries to parry unsuccessfully. It rakes out its claws but had no hope of striking Ronith as he easily turns the demons claws aside. With a deft thrust, black blood spurts out across the gymnasium. The Alu's body immediately begins to collapse and turn to ash.

Daisuke leaves it to Weiss to sweep the perimeter. He brings any of them team that wants to, in with him. Ashlynn thinks on what she had heard of Alu. She recalls that Alu doesn't have any particular vulnerabilities. Keiko joins Ash and Daisuke as they enter the building.

Weiss scans the area, but the ambient P.P.E. is messing with his sensors. While looking to the far north, though dark he thinks he makes out what he thinks is debris falling through the clouds, briefly illuminated by the ley lines undulating in the breaking of the world. Blue's targeting computer starts registering contacts roughly where he is seeing the rain. The contacts are relatively small, less than 10ft in size, but they are numerous. Watching the radar, the event is about 10 miles to the north. Dozens of those pings are registered by Blue and continue on while the team moves inside.

Grant lays out the capabilities and vulnerabilities of the Alu before he left. After making contact with its mind, he does know that it was surprised to be here, but also that it isn't alone.

Jack finds no Alu outside though he watches for unseen assailants. A foul wind comes from the north and unease creeps over him.

With the Alu defeated, the remains are retrieved. Weiss, Jack and whomever else can further investigation the event to the north, but even looking at it is unsettling. It looks like it's raining large black vapor that coalesces into some forms, but just too far away.

The Sheriff and crew are saddened by the loss of their friend, but will take his body with them as they make their way back to the hospital. The Sheriff and crew found several hundred gallons of diesel and gas in total.
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20 = 10: 10, 1d100 = 85: 85
PER: 1d100 = 1: 1 vs. 94% (+15% with hearing, +25% to ID friend or foe, strategic assessment, ID strengths and weaknesses of enemy; +10% to ID enemy in disguise, metamorphed, or shape-changed)[ooc=Conditions][*] Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 398.75 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
[*] Armor of Ithan | BOM 96 | 18.75 min | 100 M.D.C. | Invisible, 1/2 dmg from magic fire, cold, and lightning.
[*]Shadow Meld | BOM 103 | 22.75 min |In shadows, +15% to prowl and opponents -5 to strike.
[*]Extended Presence Sense | Rifter 25 P. 77 | 11.75 min | 80ft radius | 92% skill.[/ooc]Extended Presence Sense- 4d100: 1, 56, 22, 89 vs. 92%
To continue to sweep the area for anomalous presences.

After dispatching the Alu with alacrity, Ronith cleans his blades then sheathes them- taking the moment to again sweep the area for additional psionic presences. When he determines there are none, he radios the team ”Clear. My condolences Sheriff, but it seems that we were too late to save your friend.” If the posse needs any assistance with the remains, Ronith will be glad to lend a hand- but he knows that humans can be touchy about these sorts of things so he won’t pry. Then, Ronith will turn his attention to the rest of the team. ”Anything to report?”

Upon hearing about the anomalous readings, Ronith will frown and step outside the building- towards the general direction of the disturbance. He’ll use Grant’s flight spell to rise into the air cloaked in shadows, then take full advantage of his armor’s advanced sensor suite- thermal and telescopic vision, radar, and integrated sensor pod- but he doubts it will add much to what Weiss can find. Landing and turning back to the others, he says ”Ley lines are trouble- especially now. Nothing we can do will change that. Keep tabs on it as best you can on our way back- if it remains stationary and does not grow, we may consider that trouble averted. However, I think it best that we double the watch tonight. Move out- let us get these men back to the hospital.” Ronith will help haul as much of the fuel back as he can carry (1250lbs), but not before casting a concerned look back in the direction of the ley line. You cannot save everyone, Ronith. You do not even know if there is anyone there to save, and you have a responsibility to those under your command and your protection. Reluctantly, the cyber-knight turns away and heads back to base camp.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Conditions: Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent);
Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
Status
ISP- 83/91; PPE- 57/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 3/4
Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (3/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Torment

Post by Jack McDermott »

Perception: 1d100 = 45: 45 vs 45%
JIC: 1d20 = 19: 19 and 1d100 = 24: 24

Skills
Detect Ambush 60% vs 1d100 = 85: 85 - Look for any possible ambush as he moves along
Detect Concealment 55% vs 1d100 = 18: 18 - Look for hidden items as he moves along
Trail Blazing - 45% vs 1d100 = 17: 17 - Mark his trail ass he goes in case someone follows him later or so he can follow it back
Prowl 65% vs 1d100 = 32: 32 - Move silently along
Track & Trap Animals 60%/70% vs 1d100 = 81: 81 - Look for animal tracks as he moves
Tracking: People 50% vs 1d100 = 56: 56 - Look for people tracks as he moves
History: Pre-Rifts 36%/30% vs 1d100 = 10: 10 - Try to remember if there is anything of importance in the area around them from his time.

When Ronith and Grant defeat the Alu and come out unscathed Jack congratulates them, "Well done! And nobody got hurt"

As Jack looks to the north, the unease is almost overwhelming, We need to know what it is. Jack finds it hard to take his eyes from that direction for very long.

Ronith gives the order to make their way back to the hospital and Jack decides to ignore the direction. The sheriff needs to get back for sure, but we need to know what might be coming our way. Jack hangs to the back of the group and when he feels he won't be noticed breaks off. He makes his way moving north, slowly and diligently. Staying to the denser brush to stay hidden he sacrifices speed for safety.

As he moves along he watches for any possible ambush, keeping vigilant as he of all people understands the dangers around him now. He watches the ground for human and animal tracks to get a good idea of what is coming and going and where it is heading. He takes time to think about life before, when he was normal and the world was good. He tries to remember if there is anything in the area they are in that might be helpful or useful to the team.

This is crazy, he thinks to himself, I probably should have said something, but Rontih would have said no, and we need to know is something bad is coming. As Jack nears anything suspicious he while maintain his distance to stay unnoticed and observe only.
H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Torment

Post by Grant Latham »

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100 = 42: 42
JIC: 1d20 = 11: 11, 1d100 = 28

[ooc=Constant Abilities]Character Sheet
  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
[/ooc][ooc=Stats]
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 94/94
  • P.P.E.: 1968/656
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
[/ooc][ooc=Active Magic and Psionics]
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 9 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 25 PPE| 398.00 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Infrad Vision | MA 9 | 2 PPE | 98 min | 2000' |See through 4" S.D.C. .5" light M.D.C. material. 1" dirt. 1' water or heavy M.D.C.
  • Invisibility to Sensors | MA 15 | 20 PPE | 38.00 min
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 58.00 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
  • Mystic Invisibility | MA 17 | 25 PPE | 98.00 min
  • Nightvision | MA 9 | 4 PPE | 118.00 min | 3600' in non magical darkness
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 PPE | 18 min | 1200'
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 PPE | 38 min | 270' radius
  • Telepathy| | RUE 174 | 4 ISP | 38 min | 1000' two way, Surface Thoughts 120'
[/ooc]

With the Alu down, Grant sheathes his blade and floats down to the ground. He clicks on the radio, "I was able to glean a few thoughts from the creature before Sir Ronith put it down. There were a few of them that came through a rift, I couldn't get a sense of a count. But it was accidental. John, are your sensors sensitive enough to pick out these creatures if they are on the move?" He pauses and considers, "Does the Blue Beauty have thermographic cameras? Maybe you could program an automated scan to detect them?"

The mage moves out of the building, he uses his augmented sight to look out for any more Alu who might be hiding out in the darkness. These people need to fortify quickly, it's the only way they are going to survive. Only more creatures, worse creatures will be coming through the rifts.

With the mention of the fall debris, he asks the locals, "What lies up that way? Is it on the way towards Carbondale?"
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

[ooc=Info]H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.[/ooc]
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Torment

Post by Barracuda »

Perception: 1d100 = 16: 16/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 17: 17/ 1d100 = 85: 85

These people aren't prepared to defend themselves against threats from our world! It's too much for them! Barracuda leaps through the portal Daisuke created only to find the threat taken down before he could land. "Just the one?"

Barracuda helps carry as much gasoline as he can, fashioning a bindlestiff out of his powerful pentadent, King Tide and his indestructible net, Njord's Passion.

"Double watch is a good idea. I don't like the idea of creatures starting to show up now. We haven't been able to properly fortify anything or train anyone. This... this could be bad. What more can we do to keep everyone safe? And to prepare them for what we know is coming?"
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
Ledger
User avatar
Ashlynn
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Torment

Post by Ashlynn »

Perception: 79% /84% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 23: 23 (SUCCESS)

JIC: 1d20 = 9: 9
1d100 = 39: 39

Conditions:
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
Ashlynn prepares to leap into action through Daisuke's imminently-summoned portal, but the Alu is dispatched before she gets the chance.

"Bummer. Still - 'don't gripe over an easy win', Hagbard used'ta say."

Ashlynn looks over the Sheriff's men for any injuries - and also due to her innate suspicion of strangers.

Eyeball a Fella 80% 1d100 = 11: 11 (Check out the Sheriff and his guys - SUCCESS)
Eyeball a Fella 80% 1d100 = 29: 29 (SUCCESS)
Eyeball a Fella 80% 1d100 = 11: 11 (SUCCESS)
First Aid 95% 1d100 = 18: 18 (triage any injuries - SUCCESS)
First Aid 95% 1d100 = 51: 51 (SUCCESS)
First Aid 95% 1d100 = 46: 46 (SUCCESS)

With that, she assists any who need help. Then, she takes a look around the gym for anything salvageable, and marches with the group back to the hospital.

Salvage 60% 1d100 = 48: 48 (grab anything of use to the refugees at the hospital - SUCCESS)

As she walks back to the hospital with the others, she thinks to herself quietly. Shame about the Sheriff's man - but they gotta stop sending people out unprepared. This ain't that world any more. How many times I gotta warn 'em?
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 45/45
S.D.C.: 68/68


TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45/45
  • Arms: 40/40 each
  • Legs: 45/45 each
  • Main Body: 100/100

Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, and +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Infrared & thermal masking


N-F20A Medium Force Field (integrated into FreeRunner Exoskeleton)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Force Field: 75

Features:
  • 10 hour duration per E-clip
User avatar
Daisuke
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Post by Daisuke »

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 79: 79 | 48%
JIC: 1d20 = 1: 1 | 1d100 = 79: 79%
-----------------------------------
[ooc=Constant Abilities]Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Adhesion
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs] (2/4)
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs] (1/2)
    • Lynx Laser Rifle
    • <empty>
[/ooc][ooc=Stats]
  • HP/MDC: 51/51
    SDC: 191/191
    PPE: 13/13
Crusader EBA
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50
  • Arms: 30 each
  • Legs: 50 each
  • Main Body: 95
Weight: 24 lbs.
Modifiers: Fair mobility, -15% to physical skills
Features:
  • All features standard to environmental armor
Book Reference: p.55-56, WB 34[/size]
Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 24% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +6 (+1)
Magic (varies): +6 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +9 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +14 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +6 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +6 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +10
Psionics (12+): +6
Horror Factor: +9
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +8 (+6)[/size][/ooc][ooc=Active Magic and Psionics]
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 398 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 58 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
[/ooc]
Good. It should not be surprising that Grant and Sir Ronith can dispatch a single enemy with such alacrity. Daisuke thinks to himself.

The persistent heavy fog ephemerally weighs down on the Arismal. And though able to float/fly thanks to Grant's magic, he feels a sense of unease with such low visibility. Moments later he shakes it off as rookie jitters and gets his head back in the game.

With orders to escort the Sheriff and his men back to the camp given by Sir Ronith, Daisuke falls into formation. Instead of needing to be seeking the Sheriff's trail, the Arismal assumes that the return trip will be much less eventful. Rather than expose himself to more of the elements, with Weiss' permission, he heads inside Beauty (w/ a portal).

"Where did you see those contacts? Did you want me to run any other scans?" Daisuke asks, taking on the role of Weiss' co-pilot and performing sensor sweeps as John drives on.

((Sensory Equipment. 3d100: 34, 47, 67 | 56% <== Help with sensor sweeps as they escort the Sheriff's men back to camp.))
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Torment

Post by Weiss »

Perception 56% 1d100 = 54: 54
JIC 1d100 = 81: 81 1d20 = 8: 8
Virtus wrote:Weiss scans the area, but the ambient P.P.E. is messing with his sensors. While looking to the far north, though dark he thinks he makes out what he thinks is debris falling through the clouds, briefly illuminated by the ley lines undulating in the breaking of the world. Blue's targeting computer starts registering contacts roughly where he is seeing the rain. The contacts are relatively small, less than 10ft in size, but they are numerous. Watching the radar, the event is about 10 miles to the north. Dozens of those pings are registered by Blue and continue on while the team moves inside.
As the Alu demon is swiftly despatched, Weiss alerts them to a new potential threat.

"We have an issue to the North. Dozens of contacts, all under 10ft in size. Not clear if they are a threat or not."

Ronith wrote:”Ley lines are trouble- especially now. Nothing we can do will change that. Keep tabs on it as best you can on our way back- if it remains stationary and does not grow, we may consider that trouble averted. However, I think it best that we double the watch tonight. Move out- let us get these men back to the hospital.”

"I don't like it. Too close to the hospital. It might be nothing, but if nothing else, we should be aware what it is even if we don't plan to do anything about it, else it turn up at our door unannounced. Considering that we know all kinds of people come through the rifts as well, this might be people in need!" Weiss makes a pitch to investigate.

Daisuke wrote:Instead of needing to be seeking the Sheriff's trail, the Arismal assumes that the return trip will be much less eventful. Rather than expose himself to more of the elements, with Weiss' permission, he heads inside Beauty (w/ a portal).

"Where did you see those contacts? Did you want me to run any other scans?" Daisuke asks, taking on the role of Weiss' co-pilot and performing sensor sweeps as John drives on.
"You keep track of them, I'll run thermal sweeps as we go in case the Alu had a pack."

If Ronith still orders them back, he hangs at the rear, maintaining a sensor sweep with Daisuke's assistance

Sensory Equipment 74% 1d100 = 2: 2
http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/vi ... 86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Torment

Post by Keiko »

Perception: 1d100 = 37: 37/36%
JIC: 1d20 = 19: 19; 1d100 = 53: 53
[ooc=Active
Effects]
  • Dimensional Attenuation: 110Miles
  • Excellent hearing and smell
  • Sixth Sense
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
[/ooc]

Keiko pops through the portal ready to help and is met with the lack of any enemies. She gives a respectful nod to Ronith acknowledging his adept handling of the Alu. Well he has some moves put that thing down quite well. But I guess that why he leads the way he does. Such a small thing to take all the burden on yourself. He seems capable of holding that burden and more. Let hope he doesn't take on too much. That could be bad for everyone. Keiko looks to Ash when she talks of easy victories and smiles, "Easy victories are hard to come by. It should give the people back at the hospital something to hope for that their people are returning safe. They are going to need that and more to help see them through this."

With word of the new contacts to the north, Keiko takes just a moment to pull her rifle sight from her vest and hold it to her eyes to see if she can see what's going on using the magnification of the rifle sight. Keio will describe what what she sees if anything at all. Keio will not say anything if she can't make out what is out there.

Keiko will then take up an open section to help guard the sheriff and his crew till they and H4H makes it back to the hospital.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86

[ooc=MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor]Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.[/ooc]
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Torment

Post by Virtus »

Conditions
Time: Day 4, 08:02pm (deep darkness, moon is hidden behind thick clouds)
Temperature: 12F
Visibility: 50ft (heavy fog)
Wind: 10mph out of the Northwest
Snow: 24"
Radio Traffic: heavy interference, no traffic.
Magic Use: Magic within 500ft. nexus rules in effect. Supernatural evil is detectable within 500ft and all will sense it within the scope of time.
Nexus Present within 1 mile
Open Rifts within 1 mile
Everyone takes a moment to examine the northern sky. It's dark and the dim illumination only shows churning clouds for most. Weiss and Grant look again with additional vigilance. The snow has stopped and the bitter cold has set in. Grant asks if that's the way to Carbondale. The Sheriff shakes his head. "No, that way is heading on towards Springfield and then Chicago beyond."

As they prepare to leave, those watching see what looks like a smoking rain far to the north in what looks like a black thunderhead billowing darkness and dim red light. the smoking rain drops must be massive, the size of humans. Blue's screen on maximum magnification can see those smoking rain drop take form as they fall. Weiss realizes the smoking rain is demons materializing out of the cloud. There are likely hundreds falling to earth right now less than 10 miles to the north.

The team along with the Sheriff and his crew head back to the hospital. Just as they make it to the hospital they walk Barracuda, Ashlynn and Jack hear a distant whine. Blue's sensors track it as an aircraft at high altitude. It passes overhead, heading towards St Louis.

The team passes through the car wall. As the bus-gate pulls back in place Heroes for Hire look far to the east where St Louis certainly still burns. Suddenly a brilliant light stabs upwards, piercing the clouds in terrible fury!

Image

Suddenly a wind of great magnitude blasts through the camp at over 50 miles per hour. For a moment the stars are visible above as the clouds are swept away as if with a great hand. It's short lived as soon all is blotted out as snow is hurled into the air. Rushing inside everyone is safe though the ground jumps and all of creation groans. Several windows break and the roof creaks. Everything goes black inside the hospital. Screams ring through the hospital but fall quiet.

Everything is still then the sound of a generator kicks on and some lights come back on but many of the computers do not. Staff moves back into action to check on patients in various rooms.

The hospital is buried in snow, but Heroes for Hire make quick work getting the doors cleared.

All radios are dead, nothing on the airwaves at all right now, though that may be equipment malfunction. Carbondale waits, though all radios are dead, it's unlikely their situation has changed.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Torment

Post by Grant Latham »

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100 = 33: 33
JIC: 1d20 = 1: 1, 1d100 = 89

[ooc=Constant Abilities]Character Sheet
  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
[/ooc][ooc=Stats]
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 92/94
  • P.P.E.: 1968/656
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
[/ooc][ooc=Active Magic and Psionics]
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 9 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 25 PPE| 338.00 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Infrad Vision | MA 9 | 2 PPE | 38 min | 2000' |See through 4" S.D.C. .5" light M.D.C. material. 1" dirt. 1' water or heavy M.D.C.
  • Invisibility to Sensors | MA 15 | 20 PPE | 40.00 min
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60.00 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
  • Mystic Invisibility | MA 17 | 25 PPE | 38.00 min
  • Nightvision | MA 9 | 4 PPE | 58.00 min | 3600' in non magical darkness
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 PPE | 20 min | 1200'
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 PPE | 40 min | 270' radius
[/ooc]
Sherriff wrote:Everyone takes a moment to examine the northern sky. It's dark and the dim illumination only shows churning clouds for most. Weiss and Grant look again with additional vigilance. The snow has stopped and the bitter cold has set in. Grant asks if that's the way to Carbondale. The Sheriff shakes his head. "No, that way is heading on towards Springfield and then Chicago beyond."


The mage is silent for a moment in the darkness. "Sherriff," Grant says, waiting for the Sherriff to stop what he's doing and look at him. "What is happening over there could be literally anything. It could be clumped ash, it could be raining frogs, or it could be raining something totally alien to this planet. It's less likely to occur outside of the blue areas, but for the foreseeable future, you probably won't be able to go any significant distance and not find another one visible in the horizon. You will need to be watchful for these events, and be ready because whatever it is could be hostile. Scouting them will be extremely dangerous. What you did tonight is something that you should avoid in the future, going out at night is asking for trouble like we found tonight."

When light explodes to the east, Grant reflexively throws his hands up to block the light. He has to go further and move his head into his arm and duck his head downward. What!? is all that Grant can think for the next handful of seconds. He'd never experienced such a humongous blast. Crouching down, Grant blinks the tears out of his eyes as he is momentarily blinded. When his vision clears, he hears the screams and wild talk. A nuclear bomb? His next thought is Radiation! As the talk continues he says, "I don't think anyone should stay here. I don't know much about nuclear weapons, don't they emit dangerous levels of radiation? Do we have anyway of testing for it?"

At the hospital, he quickly moves to the dark rooms that people need light and casts Lantern Light (1 PPE | BOM 92 | 10 hours | 50 to 300 Watts) he sets the brightness in general to about 120 watts unless asked otherwise.

After this is done he approaches Sir Ronith and Barracuda, "I know how to magical astrally project like Beltin can do. If you wish I could go scout the results of that bomb and see if the things that John was able to discern are still alive." If the two leaders of H4H agree, he then says, "While I do this, my body will be vulnerable. I know you will do your best to keep me safe." If they agree, Grant moves to a quiet spot (but not meant to be isolated) and sits down and meditates for a few minutes and then casts Astral Projection (10 PPE | BOM 99 | 100 min | 500 mph). The mage has no desire to go into the true astral plane, but instead stays 'local', once astral he uses his telepathy to let Sir Ronith and Barracuda know that he is on his way. He speeds towards where the bodies were falling out of the sky. He flies a few hundred feet in the air to reduce the chance of visual detection. His main concern is if anything is coming their direction.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

[ooc=Info]H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.[/ooc]
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Torment

Post by Barracuda »

Perception: 1d100 = 72: 72/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 12: 12/ 1d100 = 50: 50

"That can go in the generator room." Barracuda hands over a few jugs of gasoline from their haul earlier. Just as he's about to hand over another, he hears the sound of something soaring through the winter sky. Moments later, the sky lights up with the telltale sign of a nuclear explosion. Instinctively, Corwin covers his eyes from the flash. From behind his arm, he yells out "Everybody inside! Get the doors closed!"

Knowing that radiation spells trouble for humans, Barracuda attempts to absorb any energy floating around him that isn't tied to the power supplies of the encampment. Then, he checks on the main power supplies for the building to see if there's anything he can fix with a combination of his skills and powers.

[ooc=Skills]Computer Operation 1d100 = 39: 39/85% - to get the computers back up and running
Computer Programming 1d100 = 41: 4175/% – for more advanced computer processes
Basic Electronics 1d100 = 88: 88/65% – to determine what parts of the devices are broken and whether he can repair them/power them.
Basic Mechanics 1d100 = 8: 8/45% - to determine what parts of the devices are broken and whether he can repair them/power them.
Salvage 1d100 = 99: 99/50% - to see if there are usable parts of broken machines that can be cobbled together or used for another purpose.
Radio (Basic) 1d100 = 8: 8/90% - testing out the radio, post repairs, to see if things are working. If something can be powered, Barracuda will try to do so using a combination of his Energy Absorption, Energy Expulsion: Electromagnetic Pulse and Power Weapon to channel usable energy into the generators/devices.[/ooc]


When Grant mentions Astral travel to determine the issue, Barracuda nods his approval. "As long as they can't get to you in your Astral form, that's sound. We'll make sure no harm comes to your body."
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
Ledger
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Torment

Post by Virtus »

Conditions
Time: Day 4, 08:32pm (deep darkness, moon is hidden behind thick clouds)
Temperature: 12F
Visibility: 50ft (heavy fog)
Wind: 10mph out of the Northwest
Snow: 24"
Radio Traffic: heavy interference, no traffic.
Magic Use: Magic within 500ft. nexus rules in effect. Supernatural evil is detectable within 500ft and all will sense it within the scope of time.
Nexus Present within 1 mile
Open Rifts within 1 mile
Sacrifice

Barracuda returns outside after the bomb. He walks about and can sense the unstable energy and decaying particles. It's an uncomfortable feeling as he pulls in the radioactive particles in the area. While the amount present isn't overwhelming, he concentrates it within his own body. After several minutes, traveling around his eyes begin to burn. Barracuda knows his accelerated healing may be crucial in the months to follow. In the meantime, keeping his armor on may be essential to keep his now radioactive body from irradiating others. After 30 minutes he does not sense any other radiation in the compound. His skin glows a faint greenish yellow in the darkness, but under normal lights, unnoticeable.

((for the meantime, Barracuda's healing factor will be preoccupied with repairing damage from the radiation he is absorbing. Effectively, the radiation level has knocked his regeneration down by half))

Grant's Out of Body Scouting

Grant focuses within and separates his consciousness from his body. With amazing speed he rushes back to St Louis. No surprise, a massive area is utterly destroyed. Amazing to his eyes however, the arch and everything within a quarter mile of it is unscathed. All around him though are entities, free ranging P.P.E. and other unknown ethereal things. The gate they saw earlier still stands and the doors have now opened half way. A tall woman stands in the doorway.

This is what it looks like:
[ooc]Image[/ooc]

For the next quarter mile away from the arch's protected area, everything is leveled. The snow is gone as well. Beyond that buildings stand, but are missing windows or have major structural damage. Another mile beyond that, buildings are mostly intact. Another few miles beyond that, Grant sees NEMA forces that have withdrawn to form a second line. All are in EBA. After that Grant races to the northeast where the odd cloud formation is. He witnesses first hand what can only be described as a demon rain. The thunderhead is issuing smoking forms which materialize into demons as they fall. Most appear to be minor demons but some are stronger. Within the cloud the Magus can spy interdimensional glimpses. There are no books he has ever read that explain what he is seeing. There appear to be hundreds of demons already on the ground, spread over miles. The smoking "rain" continues, dropping several more every few seconds. There is no doubt the forces that formed the perimeter around St Louis will soon discover this demon rain if they don't know about it already. He returns to his body safely.
User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Torment

Post by Keiko »

Perception: 1d100 = 22: 22/36%
JIC: 1d20 = 9: 9; 1d100 = 17: 17

[ooc=Active Effects]
  • Dimensional Attenuation: 110 Miles
  • Excellent hearing and smell
  • Sixth Sense
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
[/ooc]


Keiko is milling about waiting to see what the group decides is their next course of action when the flash of light illuminates everything. Instinctively closing her eyes hand throwing up her arm to shield herself. Her bones visible through her closed eyes is ultimately unsettling. What the hell was that? As the light fades and she sees the giant cloud in the sky pushing all others away from it's epicenter Keiko stands there for a moment dumbfounded at the sight.
Barracuda wrote: "That can go in the generator room." Barracuda hands over a few jugs of gasoline from their haul earlier. Just as he's about to hand over another, he hears the sound of something soaring through the winter sky. Moments later, the sky lights up with the telltale sign of a nuclear explosion. Instinctively, Corwin covers his eyes from the flash. From behind his arm, he yells out "Everybody inside! Get the doors closed!"
Barracuda's call gets her back to reality, Keiko begins to herd people inside. Once inside not really to anyone specifically, "What was that?" Her normal calm and jovial demeanor gone.

When Grant talks about Astral Projection, "I'll keep you safe. Just make sure You don't get lost." Keiko will keep watch over Grants body while he is not in it.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86

[ooc=MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor]Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.[/ooc]
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20 = 17: 17, 1d100 = 67: 67
PER: 1d100 = 45: 45 vs. 94% (+15% with hearing, +25% to ID friend or foe, strategic assessment, ID strengths and weaknesses of enemy; +10% to ID enemy in disguise, metamorphed, or shape-changed)[ooc=Conditions][*] Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 338.75 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.[/ooc]Basic Mechanics- 1d100 = 76: 76 vs. 96%
Recognize Weapon Quality- 1d100 = 83: 83 vs. 96%
To see if Ronith knows anything about the radiation effects of nuclear weapons from around this time.
Military Fortification- 1d100 = 16: 16 vs. 76%
To do what he can to make it easier to hold the hospital against a large force of demons.
Weiss wrote:"I don't like it. Too close to the hospital. It might be nothing, but if nothing else, we should be aware what it is even if we don't plan to do anything about it, else it turn up at our door unannounced. Considering that we know all kinds of people come through the rifts as well, this might be people in need!" Weiss makes a pitch to investigate.
”I do not like it either- but remember, the ley lines in this time makes the ones we are used to look as calm as a wading pool. Even if we scout now, what waits for us there may be radically different from what emerges later this evening. This situation- the entire planet- is unstable, and the best we can do is try to ride it out. Distance scans only.” Ronith reiterates his order and considers the subject closed.

As they return to the hospital and the nuke lands, Ronith roars ”TAKE COVER!” before promptly following his own advice (inside if they can make it in time). For some added protection against the flash of the explosion blinding him, he engages the polarized filters on his armor. When the wind passes, and no further thermal or other radiation appears to be incoming, Ronith gets to his feet and takes stock of the situation. Ronith knows a thing or two about nuclear weapons from the war, but little more than basic principles and he tries to ignore the worry he feels and answer the team calmly. ”Ashlynn, take Jack and Keiko and do a sweep of the hospital. Help the doctors ensure that the patients are all stabilized, and make sure that everyone sees you calm and in control of the situation. See if you can find a Geiger counter or something while you are at it. Weiss, Barracuda, keep an eye on our perimeter.”

At Grant’s plan, Ronith nods. ”The rest of us will stay here and guard you, Grant, but inside first.” Ronith will do what he can to perform some sensor readings on the local environment- he doesn’t have anything that can measure radiation levels but will settle for determining the direction of the wind. Specifically, whether their current location is up- or down-wind of the detonation site. To anyone who asks or expresses concern about the nuke, Ronith will reply ”We are far enough away that the primary explosion is not of particular concern to us. Radioactive fallout might be- it depends on the wind direction.” Unless the wind is currently blowing from St. Louis towards the hospital, Ronith will add ”For tonight, I think we will be alright. Hopefully Barracuda’s efforts can keep the worst of it contained.”

When Grant returns and makes his report, Ronith finds himself faced with quite a dilemma. We cannot travel at night- not with so many wounded. We would be sitting ducks for whatever is out there. The best we can do is try to hold out here, hope that the main force of the demons will head in a different direction. Is the hospital defensible enough for that to work? Nodding to himself, Ronith says ”I am going to get to work on some defenses. Anyone who is not busy, go through the hospital and turn off any unnecessary lights- we want the building to look abandoned from a casual inspection. We shall have to try and last the night, then move out tomorrow morning. Do whatever you can to prepare, then try and get some rest.” Ronith spends the next few hours doing whatever he can to prepare the hospital for a fight, preferably without disturbing the illusion that it’s abandoned. He will plan on taking first watch before turning in and (hopefully) getting a few hours’ fitful rest.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Conditions: Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent);
Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
Status
ISP- 83/91; PPE- 57/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 3/4
Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (3/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Torment

Post by Grant Latham »

(roll carried)

Identify the woman at the Stone Doorway
Lore: Demon & Monsters 134% vs 1d100 = 43: 43
Lore: D-Bee 129% vs 1d100 = 17: 17
History: Post Apocalypse 96% vs 1d100 = 12: 12



The Lord Magi completes his survey of St. Louis and then of the demon rain and then rushes back to his body. He crazy Ivan's a few times to see if anything has followed him, but doesn't see anything. Find his body undisturbed, he sees Keiko next to his body keeping him safe. He pauses there insubstantial. These folk must be in shock and have yet to have their golden age veneer rubbed off to have been so welcoming of Keiko and Sir Ronith, let alone my magic or the strange abilities of Ashlynn, Corwin, or Daisuke.

He realizes he is stalling and settles back into his body. He makes a small noise to get Keiko's attention, then says, "I am back Keiko, thank you. We need to gather the team."

When he's with the others, he says, his calm to say the least has been harmed, "Much of St. Louis is flattened, but the Arch, and it's immediate surroundings are unscathed. The rift within the Arch is still active, and the air is active with various nefarious spirits. I was able to find the odd stone doorway as well, it is at least partly open. The explosion was probably the impetus it needed to be opened. The number of people it kill was substantial, I had estimated it would take about 50,000 deaths to open it completely when we'd examined it. There was a d-bee, a woman standing outside the door. I think she was one of the four nearest the door, when we," he shudders a bit at the memory, "When we/I had the vision of the door's purpose and what it constrained behind it."

Outside of the area apparently protected by the Arch is a ring of destruction, and a few miles outside of town it looks like Nema? Is that their name? In any event, human soldiers have set up some sort of defensive line."

"To the north east, I found the area of dark clouds, and what John was able to see using his robot's scanners is correct, it is raining bodies. Demons are falling out of the black clouds like smoke, forming corporeal forms as the fall. It looks like there may be a few hundred to a thousand already on the ground, with a handful more appearing every few seconds."

He looks to Sir Ronith and says flatly, "These people can't stay here, we need to get them mobilized and headed away from here. We should have them all go with us to Carbondale. Hopefully we can convince them that they should join us as well if they don't have anything that can be suitably fortified."

When Sir Ronith states that they can't leave during the night, Grant says, "Very well, but we should use the time to get the vehicles loaded with supplies and identify a spot for everyone. For those that can't fit in a vehicle, I can grant them the power of flight that should last at least six hours." He turns and looks around them, "We will need some warning if the demons are headed this way, a few scouts. The demons seemed to be milling around when I observed them, so we probably have a good chance of making it to dawn. If it isn't dawn and the demons are spotted, then I can cast an illusion large enough to cover the vehicles and the hospital to look like they have been abandoned, perhaps looted already. But it will be too difficult to hide this many people out in the open. We should see if the basement level can be barricaded and is large enough to hold everyone."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

[ooc=Info]H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.[/ooc]
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Torment

Post by Weiss »

Perception: 56% 1d100 = 99: 99
JIC 1d100 = 39: 39 1d20 = 1: 1
Virtus wrote:As they prepare to leave, those watching see what looks like a smoking rain far to the north in what looks like a black thunderhead billowing darkness and dim red light. the smoking rain drops must be massive, the size of humans. Blue's screen on maximum magnification can see those smoking rain drop take form as they fall. Weiss realizes the smoking rain is demons materializing out of the cloud. There are likely hundreds falling to earth right now less than 10 miles to the north.
"Frak, the Beauty's magnification those shapes look like demons. That's going to be trouble."
Ronith wrote:”I do not like it either- but remember, the ley lines in this time makes the ones we are used to look as calm as a wading pool. Even if we scout now, what waits for us there may be radically different from what emerges later this evening. This situation- the entire planet- is unstable, and the best we can do is try to ride it out. Distance scans only.” Ronith reiterates his order and considers the subject closed.
Whilst not liking it, Weiss follows orders and follows the group; we don't have the strength to take on that lot.

Still in the Beauty as they arrive back, he and Daisuke are still enclosed in the pilot's compartment as the sensors suddenly scream a warning before ...

Sensors on the Beauty go crazy as they pick up the radiation. Weiss moves the Beauty between everyone he can and the incoming winds and blast radius in order to protect them. At 18 tons, he figures that it would not be easy to knock over the robot.

As things subside, Weiss brings the Beauty up in a combat stance, actively scanning the area.

Sensory Equipment 74% 1d100 = 37: 37
Ronith wrote:Weiss, Barracuda, keep an eye on our perimeter.”
Sensors still pinging, Weiss moves to the barricade, intent on providing the initial defense. He inspects the barricade in order to see where it can be quickly reinforced. Need to keep any attack outside, otherwise we will be overrun.

Military Fortifications 44% 1d100 = 81: 81

"Permission to alert the Nema forces about the Demon force about to pass us by. Least we can do is warn them." He looks over the excess vehicles and formulates a plan.
"Can't take the Beauty inside, best I can do is hide her and power her down. Grant, can these demons sense me through a sealed pilot's compartment?"
http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/vi ... 86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Torment

Post by Grant Latham »

(rolls carried)
Weiss wrote:"Permission to alert the Nema forces about the Demon force about to pass us by. Least we can do is warn them." He looks over the excess vehicles and formulates a plan.
"Can't take the Beauty inside, best I can do is hide her and power her down. Grant, can these demons sense me through a sealed pilot's compartment?"
Grant responds back to John, "Most demons aren't particularly technologically savvy, so it's possible that many of them might think of the Beauty as a statue until it begins to move, and then once you move some sort of magically animated golem. They will most likely smell the presence of humans, but not be able to come to the immediate conclusion that they are inside a robot. Once you attack, any shock will be quickly be assimilated, so when you do attack, hit hard. In any bunch of demons, if one looks markedly different than the others, I'd be wary. They may have additional psychic or magical abilities to attack you directly."

After a few seconds, he adds, "If/when I need to cast an illusion, I'll include the Beauty as a statue, probably making it look like it is missing an arm and head. If you could pose her dramatically, that will help reinforce the illusion."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

[ooc=Info]H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.[/ooc]
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Torment

Post by Jack McDermott »

Perception: 1d100 = 86: 86 vs 45%
JIC: 1d20 = 11: 11 and 1d100 = 49: 49

Skills
Prowl 1d100 = 18: 18 vs 65% - Stay stealthy while heading away from the hospital
Wilderness Survival 1d100 = 33: 33 vs 75% - Find the proper branches and leaves to make a good smokey fire

As they walk up tot he hospital Jack feels confused. Looking around at his surrounding he wonders, I was heading north, what happened. Jack looks the others over suspiciously wondering if it is really them. Not knowing what to believe he decides to go with the flow for the moment.

Inside the hospital Rontih suggests,

Ronith wrote: Ronith says ”I am going to get to work on some defenses. Anyone who is not busy, go through the hospital and turn off any unnecessary lights- we want the building to look abandoned from a casual inspection. We shall have to try and last the night, then move out tomorrow morning. Do whatever you can to prepare, then try and get some rest.” Ronith spends the next few hours doing whatever he can to prepare the hospital for a fight, preferably without disturbing the illusion that it’s abandoned. He will plan on taking first watch before turning in and (hopefully) getting a few hours’ fitful rest.


Jack looks at him with a serious eye, "There is another way to make sure your illusion holds. We distract them and lead them elsewhere. hear me out." Jack looks around to see who is listening. "A couple of us sneak out, find a place some distance from the hospital, we make a bunch of noise and draw everything to us. There is no way for them to think the hospital is anything but abandoned is they aren't even looking at it." Jack smiles as if he has come up with some brilliant scheme. "It will work!"

If/when Rontih identifies the plan as way to dangerous Jack will agree, "You are probably right." Jack nods in agreement, "I'll go check for lights and make sure they are all off." Knowing that there is way too much danger on the way to the hospital jack decides it is on him to protect these people, I need to do everything I can to make sure Rontih's plan works. these people deserve a chance." The first moment Jack finds a chance to head out of the hospital he does.

Once outside Jack will head away from the hospital and in the opposite direction the team plans to travel in the morning, I just need to draw them away long enough for everyone to get away. Jack looks for dense coverage of trees as he moves along to stay hidden for as long as he can. Once he is a good 2 miles from the hospital he decides it is good enough. He finds a place to hide and wait for near dawn.

As dawn arrives he figures it is time to start the distraction, Fire and noise... Give em signs of life. Jack gathers what he can of branches and leaves. He pushes away the snow in a circle trying to create a circle big enough to load with the brush he gathered. Wet may be good! More smoke!

Jack uses his plasma ejector to light the brush on fire then backs away, Now I need noise. Jack shoulders his plasma ejector and readies his swarm bow. He knock a swarm volley and finds a grouping of trees far enough away so he wont hurt himself but close enough to mix with the fire and the smoke. He looses the arrow and watches the destruction. Let's see if they bite.
H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
User avatar
Daisuke
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Post by Daisuke »

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 40: 40 | 48%
JIC: 1d20 = 14: 14 | 1d100 = 61: 61%
-----------------------------------
[ooc=Constant Abilities]Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Adhesion
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs] (2/4)
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs] (1/2)
    • Lynx Laser Rifle
    • <empty>
[/ooc][ooc=Stats]
  • HP/MDC: 61/61
    SDC: 191/191
    PPE: 13/13
Crusader EBA
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50
  • Arms: 30 each
  • Legs: 50 each
  • Main Body: 95
Weight: 24 lbs.
Modifiers: Fair mobility, -15% to physical skills
Features:
  • All features standard to environmental armor
Book Reference: p.55-56, WB 34[/size]
Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 24% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +6 (+1)
Magic (varies): +6 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +9 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +14 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +6 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +6 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +10
Psionics (12+): +6
Horror Factor: +9
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +8 (+6)[/size][/ooc][ooc=Active Magic and Psionics]
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 338 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
[/ooc]
"High altitude bogey..." Daisuke remarks as the sensors ping the bomber heading toward St. Louis. "Destination bearing 092.. City of St. Louis?" The Arismal's surprise is cut short by the detonation causing the 'bot's hardened instrumentation to flicker in strain against the ensuing EMP. Stunned into silence, Daisuke sits for a couple deafening minutes at the deployment of tactical nukes on the nearby city.

((Demolitions. 1d100 = 4: 4 | 98% <== Guess the explosive force. Assess what sort of damage the deployment of that level of explosive would do to a city.))

"That's going to be some ugly long-term consequences..." Daisuke remarks over comms, inwardly wondering if mankind was willing to destroy itself with such weaponry for the sake of repelling the unexpected foreign and demonic invaders. "I do not know much about this history of this time. How many of such weapons are available for deployment? Is there any chance that when faced with the strangeness of this chaotic time that so many of those will be used as to render the surface of the planet uninhabitable?"

Daisuke's speculation about the wrought destruction is made moot with Grant's astral scouting.

"Does that mean the Arch... that dimensional doorway... is somehow insulated by magic? Or is it possible that an open rift could have swallowed up the explosion and sent it to a different plane?" Not knowing much about magic, ley lines or the coming of rifts, Daisuke continues to ask extremely naive questions ((please do not feel the need to address them with specific dialogue)). "Deaths trigger rifts? Doesn't that mean that the more the denizens of this world use high yield explosives, the more gateways will be opened and the more overrun this planet will be? Seems like a nasty feedback loop. How does humanity dig themselves out of this?!"

Not eager to step out into radiation exposure, Daisuke focuses his efforts on aiding Weiss. He will help run scans if necessary, act as a second set of eyes for any construction work he engages in and if nothing else, be there... uncertain of which of them is more in need of consolation amidst the apocalypse.

((Sensory Equipment. 1d100 = 54: 54 | 56% <== Run whatever scans Weiss tasks him to.
Radio: Basic. 1d100 = 8: 8 | 98% <== Key in radio channel for Weiss if asked.))

As if Sir Ronith didn't have his hands full earlier, we now have an even more complicated situation.

Upon hearing Sir Ronith mention Barracuda's efforts, Daisuke will selflessly volunteer, "Sir Ronith, if Prince Corwin's efforts have reached their limits, I can also lend my aid by mimicking him and bearing some burden also. If, of course, his efforts are based on his innate abilities." Not having heard directly from Barracuda and being physically separated by being stationed inside Beauty, Daisuke knows he has missed some discussions had by others.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Torment

Post by Virtus »

Conditions
Time: Day 5, 07:32am (dim light, equivalent to twilight)
Temperature: 12F
Visibility: 50ft (heavy fog)
Wind: 10mph out of the Northwest
Snow: 24"
Radio Traffic: heavy interference, no traffic.
Magic Use: Magic within 500ft. nexus rules in effect. Supernatural evil is detectable within 500ft and all will sense it within the scope of time.
Nexus Present within 1 mile
Open Rifts within 1 mile
The night passes by. Many of the lights the team had seen in the distance no longer twinkle. Much of the equipment in the hospital no longer works, though the generators do power on.

IF Grant chooses to do more out of body scouting:
[ooc]The demon rain stops around midnight. Grant witnesses one Baalrog that marshals a few dozen demons into an organized for and others that gather in small bands. The vast majority however slink off their own ways, not doubt happy to be free of whatever leashes had contained them, many spreading out along or near the ley lines. A large ley line come from St Louis and runs east by northeast along which many of the demons seem to travel.

NEMA encounters and dispatches many of these. Fortunately their equipment was hardened and they look prepared for the bomb that was dropped.[/ooc]

Morning comes with much the same story. Last Dance and Gallows Twelve have spent the night patrolling the area near the hospital, watching for incoming hostiles. A few dozen more refugees stagger in through the night, including an elf! The elf identifies herself as Liara and is more startled by the technology than the civilians are of magic. She holds a child to her. "She's a human child I found alive, though her mother had succumbed to the elements. I came through a portal into whichever hell this is.". Liara is suffering from frostbite on her extremities. One of the humans are suffering from radiation sickness and is quarantined until Barracuda or Daisuke can help. The rest seems to be fine. The two doctors eye them in surprise, with the obvious question of "how?" being repeated in glad amazement at the ability to absorb radiation.

The civilians often show mild amazement at Keiko or what glimpses of magic they see or things they learn, but survival is kicking in at this moment. They aren't concerned with how or why, only if it works. Having seen, they operate on faith. There are skeptics of course, but they are content with survival none the less. Sadly three more people simply left during the confusion and two more claimed their own lives.

There is an uneasiness growing among them. Inaction during destruction, no matter how safe, makes for nervous people.

Daisuke, using the sensors available on the Blue Beauty is able to determine that the bomb's fallout isn't as bad as he feared. No doubt it was designed to limit radiation exposure. There is still enough to be harmful, but it's significantly less than what it could have been. Without further investigation he won't know what isotopes are floating around or even projecting the long term impact, but he does feel confident that further out, the effects should be almost nil.

The snow has not restarted. Jack makes a fire in the predawn light. He doesn't spy any demons, but two dozen more people arrive within the hour, several with vehicles. This group is preparred and even offers potassium pills to the hospital to help with the radiation. "We've got to get out of here. You guys can't stay either. We're heading east for Fort Knox. NEMA is bedded down here. I saw a large number head by this morning to fortify St Louis. I have no idea what's going on there, but it's not good. We've all seen things this past week. This place isn't fit for living anymore."

Carver finds Ronith near dawn and asks "What's your plan? I don't think staying here is an option. Pushing through to the north with whatever you say was seen to the north seems like a bad idea. If you're going to Carbondale, I think we take everyone. We have a couple buses and what vehicles are still working, but I think walking is inevitable. There is a rail yard to the east. North of Richview, Centrailia. I have no idea what shape the yard is in, but surely there are a few engines stationed there and a lot of cars, though likely not heated." he says, pulling out his map and pointing out the locations. "In theory we could make it there and then take it down to Carbondale and pray the rails are intact all the way. Vehicles could drive on the rail bed, but it'd not be a pleasant ride. Up to you. Both ways have their merit. The railroad would be easier but we don't know the condition of the rail. But forcing some to walk is a tough call as well."

((Next post, include one save vs. lethal poison [12+]))
User avatar
Ashlynn
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Torment

Post by Ashlynn »

Perception: 79% /84% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100 = 37: 37 (SUCCESS)

JIC: 1d20 = 5: 5
1d100 = 51: 51

Conditions:
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
Keiko wrote: "Easy victories are hard to come by. It should give the people back at the hospital something to hope for that their people are returning safe. They are going to need that and more to help see them through this."
Ash nods. "True. They gotta get used to this being their new normal, and they better do it in a hurry."

As they reach the hospital and she's helping carry gear inside, she sees the blast from St. Louis, and the tell-tale mushroom cloud. She'd never seen one personally, but from the stories Hagbard used to tell, she knew that was Bad. News.

"CRIPES! FRAK! EVERYONE INSIDE!"

Once everyone is inside and the doors barred, she helps people find shelter - interior, windowless rooms.
Grant wrote:"I don't think anyone should stay here. I don't know much about nuclear weapons, don't they emit dangerous levels of radiation? Do we have anyway of testing for it?"
Ronith wrote:”Ashlynn, take Jack and Keiko and do a sweep of the hospital. Help the doctors ensure that the patients are all stabilized, and make sure that everyone sees you calm and in control of the situation. See if you can find a Geiger counter or something while you are at it.
First Aid 95% 1d100 = 90: 90 (signs of/treatments for radiation poisoning - SUCCESS)

Ashlynn will then search for potassium iodide tabs and dosimeters - hopefully enough to help everyone present - if not, she will help with triage/rationing, checking on Grant periodically while he astrally projects.

First Aid 95% 1d100 = 57: 57 (Treatments as needed - SUCCESS)
First Aid 95% 1d100 = 56: 56 (SUCCESS)
First Aid 95% 1d100 = 79: 79 (SUCCESS)

Later, she hears Grant report his findings to Ronith.
Grant wrote:"These people can't stay here, we need to get them mobilized and headed away from here. We should have them all go with us to Carbondale. Hopefully we can convince them that they should join us as well if they don't have anything that can be suitably fortified."
Ashlynn nods. "That's for frakkin' sure. This radiation... We're too close - even if we were outta the immediate range. If the wind shifts, suddenly we're in a hot zone. You don't wanna be in a hot zone. Hagbard used ta tell stories of the old... well... THESE times, and the coupla' times nuclear weapons were dropped. Seriously UNFUN."

Later, when the elf woman and child appear, Ashlynn will examine and treat them as necessary, freeing up the real doctors for more desperate matters.

First Aid 95% 1d100 = 51: 51 (Examine/treat Liara - SUCCESS)
First Aid 95% 1d100 = 50: 50 (Examine treat the child - SUCCESS)

Hopefully we can keep these people on this side of irradiated, and get 'em outta here before it's too damn late.
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 45/45
S.D.C.: 68/68


TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45/45
  • Arms: 40/40 each
  • Legs: 45/45 each
  • Main Body: 100/100

Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, and +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Infrared & thermal masking


N-F20A Medium Force Field (integrated into FreeRunner Exoskeleton)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Force Field: 75

Features:
  • 10 hour duration per E-clip
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Torment

Post by Jack McDermott »

Perception: 1d100 = 20: 20 vs 45%
JIC: 1d20 = 7: 7 and 1d100 = 10: 10

Skills
Detect Ambush 1d100 = 91: 91 vs 60% - Keep an eye on his surrounding for attackers
Detect Concealment 1d100 = 93: 93 vs 55% - Keep an eye out for hidden attackers

With the fire lit and Jack satisfied he is a decent distance from the hospital he decides, Now I need noise. Jack shoulders his plasma ejector and readies his swarm bow. He knock a swarm volley and finds a grouping of trees far enough away so he wont hurt himself but close enough to mix with the fire and the smoke. He looses the arrow and watches the destruction. Let's see if they bite.

Jack starts to dance around the fire laughing like a mad man, "Here piggy, piggy, piggy!," he calls through the helmets loud speaker. He keeps an eye on the woods around him hoping he sees any attackers first.

Direly trying to cause a distraction from the hospital and the people inside he knocks an explosive arrow and fires it into the same location he fired the swarm arrow, Come on you bastards, I'm making enough noise. Come check it out. Jack continues to skip and dance around the fire, singing loudly, "The freaks come out at night, The freaks come out at night, The freaks come out at night, The freaks come out at night"
H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Torment

Post by Barracuda »

Perception: 1d100 = 25: 25/43% (58% underwater)
JIC: 1d20 = 8: 8/ 1d100 = 31: 31

Save vs Lethal Poison (12+): 1d20+7 = 15: 8

"Ohhhh... that feels rotten" Barracuda remarks to no one in particular, as he finishes drawing in the ambient radiation from the nuclear explosion that happened too close by. "Ugh. I can feel it in my eyes. But... I think I got it all." He then starts on a patrol route to watch the perimeter of the compound, radioing in anything that looks suspicious. Better me than all of them. That's what a hero does. I can heal from this right? Passing by a window, he takes his helmet off to take a look at his face. Seeing his skin glowing faintly in the darkness sinks his confidence. Shit... I look like the Glowing Ghost*. What if I don't heal? I feel a bit... off. What if this cancels out my powers and I'm just stuck here like one of the helpless civilians." Corwin puts his helmet back on and continues his patrol.


*Glowing Ghost: Agents of Might villain. Grade C. Abilities: Molecular Dispersal, Intangibility, Bio-Energy Absorption. Glows a silvery-blue when using abilities.

Daisuke wrote:"Sir Ronith, if Prince Corwin's efforts have reached their limits, I can also lend my aid by mimicking him and bearing some burden also. If, of course, his efforts are based on his innate abilities."
"Hey Daisuke, I could use some help if we come across anymore radiation. I'll find you after this patrol."


Once the patrol is done, he does just that. Pairing up with Daisuke, Corwin heads around the camp and does his best to absorb any remaining radiation from places or people. He does his best to smile for the people he's helping, but the toll it takes on him is very real. To Daisuke, he advises, "Be careful not to absorb too much. I feel like garbage. I think I might try to find a place to release this energy that wouldn't harm anything."
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
Ledger
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20 = 14: 14, 1d100 = 28: 28
PER: 1d100 = 16: 16 vs. 94% (+15% with hearing, +25% to ID friend or foe, strategic assessment, ID strengths and weaknesses of enemy; +10% to ID enemy in disguise, metamorphed, or shape-changed)
Save vs. lethal poison- 1d20+10 = 17: 7 vs. 12
Prowl- 10d100: 31, 77, 98, 42, 3, 90, 69, 27, 70, 41 vs. 116%
To observe the incoming refugees undetected.

The night before, Ronith wraps things up. ”Agreed, all of you. Those who cannot assist with fortifying our position, make as many preparations as possible for our evacuation tomorrow. We leave shortly after dawn. Weiss, radio the Neemans but do not give them any coordinates that would put us in the blast radius of another nuclear strike. Grant, as you have already astrally scouted the area you can be in charge of deploying the scouts from some of the other mercenary companies. Deploy some outriders to keep the anomaly surveilled at a distance. Their orders are to not engage any hostiles, and report any changes immediately. Jack, pull a few scouts as well and deploy them around the hospital’s perimeter. I want early warning of any trouble that comes our way, demonic or otherwise.”
Jack McDermott wrote:"There is another way to make sure your illusion holds. We distract them and lead them elsewhere. hear me out." Jack looks around to see who is listening. "A couple of us sneak out, find a place some distance from the hospital, we make a bunch of noise and draw everything to us. There is no way for them to think the hospital is anything but abandoned is they aren't even looking at it." Jack smiles as if he has come up with some brilliant scheme. "It will work!"
Ronith nods. ”I agree. But we need only one person for a distraction, and that person shall be myself. If Grant’s illusion does not work, I intend to attack any greater demons on hand and attempt to draw all of the others away. If I can convince them that I am but a solitary refugee from the Rifts, and that the illusion was my own glamour, it may be possible to lead them on a merry chase while they leave the hospital alone. If that happens, you are to evacuate immediately. I will circle back and link up with you later. If the deceit does not work, then I shall circle back and attack the demons from the rear.” And likely face a desperate fight at that point.
Daisuke wrote:"I do not know much about this history of this time. How many of such weapons are available for deployment? Is there any chance that when faced with the strangeness of this chaotic time that so many of those will be used as to render the surface of the planet uninhabitable?"
Ronith takes it upon himself to engage the young man, as he realizes that he doesn’t really know the Arismal all that well. ”Enough to blanket the world many times over. Parts of it are going to be inhabitable for many years, and even in our time many of them still are. Due to radiation and much, much worse.”
Daisuke wrote:"Does that mean the Arch... that dimensional doorway... is somehow insulated by magic? Or is it possible that an open rift could have swallowed up the explosion and sent it to a different plane?"
”In our time, the Coalition States has been trying to destroy the arch for years, always with the same result. I understand that the prevailing theory is that the rift has rendered it indestructible. You would have to consult with a shifter to get any more of a technical explanation than that.”
Daisuke wrote:"Deaths trigger rifts? Doesn't that mean that the more the denizens of this world use high yield explosives, the more gateways will be opened and the more overrun this planet will be? Seems like a nasty feedback loop. How does humanity dig themselves out of this?!"
”It doesn’t. Not even close to completely, and not at all for 200 years. It will be all they can do to stay alive.”
Daisuke wrote:"Sir Ronith, if Prince Corwin's efforts have reached their limits, I can also lend my aid by mimicking him and bearing some burden also. If, of course, his efforts are based on his innate abilities."
”Barracuda? Status report.” Assuming Ronith gets some version of ‘ok’ he will reply, ”Very well. Stay put for now Daisuke. We do not know how the radiation will affect Barracuda over the long-term, and if he is in no immediate danger then I think it best to hold you in reserve. There is likely to be more radiation where we are headed.”

As morning dawns and Ronith has scraped together what little rest he could, he feels increasingly relieved that their plan appears to have worked. The demons all went their own way, and passed over the deserted-looking hospital. The cyber-knight feels a pang of sorrow at the thought of what innocents await these demons, while he sits here and does nothing. I can only hope that NEMA protects them, I suppose.

Once there’s enough daylight to see by, Ronith will begin rousing the team and ordering the evacuation. Should he spot Jack’s antics, he will radio ”Jack… you haven’t cracked, have you? Assuming that Jack responds in some manner meant to reassure his commander, Ronith will turn away and leave him to it. He’ll make sure that his subordinate can’t see the smile under his helmet.

As other refugees begin to trickle in, Ronith will use sense evil ((-2 ISP)) as a crude screen against any malefactors trying to slip in with the crowd, as well as telepathy ((-4 ISP)) not so much to read anyone’s surface thoughts as to probe for the presence of a mind block that might be in place to defeat his ability to detect evil. He will try to screen everyone before they can see him, and when it comes time for him to get some sleep he will issue orders to the other guards to keep screening people psionically. Anyone who isn’t verified as human (or similar) get quarantined with an armed escort until a full physical can be conducted by the medical staff. When he sees the elf (and confirms that she is who she appears to be), Ronith will approach her openly and remove his helmet to put her at ease. He will use another of Frostfang’s healing touches to mend her frostbite (as well as the human with radiation sickness if magic will work better than Barracuda). As for the child, Ronith is not inclined to take her from the woman who found her, and will gently pressure the other civilians to add the D-Bee to their ranks.

Finally, the time comes for a decision, and Carver lays his plans out on the table. Ronith takes a moment to think. ”My team and I have somewhere to be at the next full moon. Until then, Carbondale is on our way. We are with you to your destination.” He pauses, and examines any maps they’ve been able to scrounge up. ”It seems foolhardy to assume that even a few dozen miles of railroad survived the apocalypse. But perhaps with the mages on our side we shall be able to even the odds. Weiss, round up any mechanics we have and see if you can do anything to modify the civilian vehicles and make it easier to follow the tracks. Grant, get the collegiate mages and do the same. If the rail lines are extensively damaged, I want to have a viable fallback strategy. Get to it everyone- the sooner we left this place the better!”

When the time comes, Ronith will take point and lead the scouts again, approaching the rail yard cautiously (if they make it that far).
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Conditions: Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent);
Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
Status
ISP- 83/91; PPE- 57/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 3/4
Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (3/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Torment

Post by Grant Latham »

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100 = 36: 36
JIC: 1d20 = 2: 2, 1d100 = 17

[ooc=Constant Abilities]Character Sheet
  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
[/ooc][ooc=Stats]
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 92/94
  • P.P.E.: 656/656
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
[/ooc][ooc=Active Magic and Psionics]
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 8 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 25 PPE| 400.00 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Energy Sphere | 120 PPE | BOM 120 | 40 days | 1000 P.P.E./500 M.D.C.
  • Infrared Vision | MA 9 | 2 PPE | 40 min | 2000' |See through 4" S.D.C. .5" light M.D.C. material. 1" dirt. 1' water or heavy M.D.C.
  • Invisibility to Sensors | MA 15 | 20 PPE | 40.00 min
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60.00 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
  • Ley Line Storm Defense | 90 PPE | BOM 142 | 200' Diameter | 100 min
  • Mystic Invisibility | MA 17 | 25 PPE | 40.00 min
  • Nightvision | MA 9 | 4 PPE | 58.00 min | 3600' in non magical darkness
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 PPE | 20 min | 1200'
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 PPE | 40 min | 270' radius
[/ooc]

Save vs Poison (12+) 1d20+4 = 18: 14

Grant organizes the Collegiate psychics to guard the hospital (Astral Projection, Presence Sense, Psychic Omni Sight, Sense Evil, Sense Psionics, etc) along with more mundane sentries on the roof top and patrolling just beyond sight of the hospital.

He himself renews his various defensive magics and creates an Energy Sphere and lets the excess energy he's been storing fill the sphere. The mage does some astral patrolling himself, keep an eye on Jack as well as the disposition of the demons. With the demon rain stopped for now and the demons actually just wandering for the most part and sticking to the ley line, Grant returns and reports what he's seen.

"The sky stopped dropping demons around midnight. They definitely are disorganized and wandering around mostly following the ley lines. The majority are moving away from St. Louis headed north by north east," Grant says when he returns to his body. Thankfully we are moving in a southernly direction, hopefully we can convince anyone we meet to let us by without bloodshed.

Afterwards, he takes a couple of hours per dawn to rest.

When he wakes and hears that new refugees have arrived and some of them d-bees, he to surreptitiously examines them casting See Aura, and his own psychic empathic and telepathic abilities.

Grant hadn't noticed what Barracuda had been doing all night keeping everyone safe from the radiation, confident in the protective magic of his Invincible Armor spell and his own ability to regenerate courtesy of the secrets taught to him by the Lords of Magic. When Daisuke mentions his willingness to assist, Grant adds to the conversation, "Uh, Prince Corwin," Grant says over the radio, still stumbling awkwardly over the name and title, but since Daisuke used it he didn't want to go with Barracuda, "If what you are doing is causing discomfort, come find me I may be able to mediate the effects."

If/when Barracuda comes to find the mage, Grant offers to cast Purge Other (100 PPE | BOM 137 | A 'purge' cleanses the body of all toxins, drugs, disease impurities, parasites or possessing forces, and the character feels rested, refreshed, and totally clean. It doesn't restore previous damage but negates future damage) "This should allow your body's own healing to work unhindered."

When it's time to go, Grant casts Fly like an Eagle (BOM 115 | 2 people by touch | 400 min | 50 mph) if there are people who are unable to find a spot on a vehicle.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

[ooc=Info]H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.[/ooc]
User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Torment

Post by Keiko »

Perception: 1d100 = 3: 3/36%
JIC: 1d20 = 5: 5; 1d100 = 8: 8

[ooc=Active Effects]
  • Dimensional Attenuation: 110 Miles
  • Excellent hearing and smell
  • Sixth Sense
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
[/ooc]

Save vs Poison: 1d20+3 = 21: 18

Keiko smiles at Grant as he returns to himself. "You're welcome. Glad to here helping out." Keiko goes with grant to help round up everyone.

Keiko stairs in disbelief when Ronith speaks about the amount of weapons, like the one just witnessed, that are available. No way...Enough to cover the earth many times over. That's not possible...Is it? Oh course the crazy doorway survived. And it's open...great. Let hope that bitch stays where she is. But i dear her to come here. Try and fuck with my mind will you. Keiko lost in thought for a bit misses out on other parts of the conversation.

Seeing how Grant is able to help the others with his magic is impressive to say the least. Keiko watches all the different types of spells Grant is able to use and just the volume of their uses. When Grant has a moment Keiko will come to him. "Quite the impressive stock of spells. I feel like I may have specialized too much into only one facet. When we get out of this I would love to learn more if you are willing to teach me."

Keiko makes herself ready to go with the rest of the group. Keiko will leave take to the sky under the power of Grants magic flight if there is no room in the vehicles. Man what I wouldn't give for a good rifle right now. I love my axe but this kind of open terrain is better suited for long arms.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86

[ooc=MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor]Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.[/ooc]
User avatar
Daisuke
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Post by Daisuke »

-----------------------------------
Perception: 1d100 = 11: 11 | 48%
JIC: 1d20 = 8: 8 | 1d100 = 69: 69%
Save vs lethal poison[12+]: 1d20+7 = 12: 5 ((Immune to Radiation))
-----------------------------------
[ooc=Constant Abilities]Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Adhesion
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs] (2/4)
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs] (1/2)
    • Lynx Laser Rifle
    • <empty>
[/ooc][ooc=Stats]
  • HP/MDC: 70/70
    SDC: 211/211
    PPE: 13/13
Crusader EBA
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 50
  • Arms: 30 each
  • Legs: 50 each
  • Main Body: 95
Weight: 24 lbs.
Modifiers: Fair mobility, -15% to physical skills
Features:
  • All features standard to environmental armor
Book Reference: p.55-56, WB 34[/size]
Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 28% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +7 (+1)
Magic (varies): +7 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +10 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +15 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +7 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +7 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +16
Psionics (12+): +7
Horror Factor: +12
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +13 (+6)[/size][/ooc][ooc=Active Magic and Psionics]
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 338 min| 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
[/ooc]
Ronith wrote:
Daisuke wrote:"I do not know much about this history of this time. How many of such weapons are available for deployment? Is there any chance that when faced with the strangeness of this chaotic time that so many of those will be used as to render the surface of the planet uninhabitable?"
Ronith takes it upon himself to engage the young man, as he realizes that he doesn’t really know the Arismal all that well. ”Enough to blanket the world many times over. Parts of it are going to be inhabitable for many years, and even in our time many of them still are. Due to radiation and much, much worse.”
"Copy that. Let's see what we can do to mitigate what we can." Daisuke's concern can be heard buried within his bravado.
Ronith wrote:
Daisuke wrote:"Does that mean the Arch... that dimensional doorway... is somehow insulated by magic? Or is it possible that an open rift could have swallowed up the explosion and sent it to a different plane?"
”In our time, the Coalition States has been trying to destroy the arch for years, always with the same result. I understand that the prevailing theory is that the rift has rendered it indestructible. You would have to consult with a shifter to get any more of a technical explanation than that.”
"Indestructible? How can anything be indestructible. Still... Magic is as magic does I suppose. No point in fretting about the things we can't do anything about. I'll try to keep it out-of-sight, out-of-mind, sir. Thank you."
Ronith wrote:
Daisuke wrote:"Deaths trigger rifts? Doesn't that mean that the more the denizens of this world use high yield explosives, the more gateways will be opened and the more overrun this planet will be? Seems like a nasty feedback loop. How does humanity dig themselves out of this?!"
”It doesn’t. Not even close to completely, and not at all for 200 years. It will be all they can do to stay alive.”
"... A truly terrible time to endure... It is a testament to the resilience of individuals in the face of oblivion."
Ronith wrote:
Daisuke wrote:"Sir Ronith, if Prince Corwin's efforts have reached their limits, I can also lend my aid by mimicking him and bearing some burden also. If, of course, his efforts are based on his innate abilities."
”Barracuda? Status report.” Assuming Ronith gets some version of ‘ok’ he will reply, ”Very well. Stay put for now Daisuke. We do not know how the radiation will affect Barracuda over the long-term, and if he is in no immediate danger then I think it best to hold you in reserve. There is likely to be more radiation where we are headed.”
"Roger that. Standing by. Will try to arrange what transportation we can for the move."

When information about the nearby rail yard is relayed to him. Daisuke will leap at the opportunity. Turning to Weiss, he will suggest, "Hey John, what do you think about popping over to rail yard to see what we have to work with? With Beauty's strength, along with whatever hoists are still functioning in the yard, perhaps we can string together enough cars and if we're lucky, an engine to pull. If not, perhaps if there is a flatbed car, Beauty can be the motor, you know, sitting on the flatbed and pushing with one of her legs. Like the wheeled boards my brothers and I used to play with when we were children. I'm not sure we'd want her directly trodding on the rail as it might irreparably damage the tracks."

Daisuke will see if there is another individual or two in the hospital camp who might be familiar with either the rail yard specifically, or with trains in general and try to recruit them to come with to secure transportation for everyone else.

The goal is to ideally:
  • String together enough cars (environment controlled if possible) in a train to transport everyone along the rail.
  • Secure an engine to pull the cars.
  • Secure an advance engine (without car-pulling duty) with a plow in front to clear snow (drifts) on the track. This does not have to be rail-dedicated. Can be some manner of hover vehicle if that is easier to procure.
  • A fuel car for each engine (with fuel in it).
[ooc=Should Sir Ronith decide to change his mind about holding him in reserve and he needs to borrow Barracuda's powers]"These powers, Prince Corwin," Daisuke remarks, Kondo's voice carrying a harsher edge upon mimicking Barracuda's super abilities. "These civilians are suffering from radiation exposure and need this excess energy absorbed?"[color] he asks Barracuda, strangely requesting confirmation of a task Daisuke has already agreed to. "Why? What useful purpose do they serve?" Kondo mumbles below his breath, likely outside of Barracuda's earshot. Nonetheless, not yet so brash as to fully break Daisuke's word, Kondo does as requested, helping those in need, but with an important caveat. After each healing, he will pop open his faceplate, making sure the one just healed sees him.

"Remember this day. Remember my face. You have been saved from certain death. Someday, you may be asked to repay this debt. At that time, I hope you will not hesitate in lending your assistance." His eyes glow with a fierce Machiavellian fire manifested in green irradiation that belies the disciplined demeanor Daisuke typically represents.[/ooc]
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Torment

Post by Virtus »

Conditions
Time: Day 6, 12:32pm (dim light, equivalent to twilight)
Temperature: 25F
Visibility: 1000ft (haze)
Wind: 5mph out of the Northwest
Snow: 24"
Radio Traffic: heavy interference, no traffic.
Magic Use: Magic within 500ft. nexus rules in effect. Supernatural evil is detectable within 500ft and all will sense it within the scope of time.
Nexus Present within 1 mile
Open Rifts within 1 mile
Ronith and Grant take a moment to examine the new arrivals. One is revealed to be possessed, a young man with long hair, with worn business attire. Immediately upon discovery, the young man's eyes glaze over and he becomes hostile. Speaking in a tongue familiar to those who know the speech of Hades, he declares, "Look at you! Clinging to life. Pathetic! There is no safety for you, no hope! The waves coming will devour your souls, but first I want a taste!" the man leaps at Ronith with super human speed, but Heroes is from a time when such things are common place. He has no chance of harming either Ronith or Grant. ((detail how he is dealt with)).

Grant finds the lone Elf woman. She does mention there were others that came with her, but they didn't make it through the night. She is thankful for the healing and is happy to see another elf. She only speaks dragonese and is frightened and confused by this place. She knows nothing of technology, having come from a primitive world.

When the decision is made to move, as many of the people they can fit in the bus and APCs are seated. They are able to use a bus and a diesel ambulance. Unfortunately the other emergency vehicles were electric and relied upon the network to operate and that was before the bomb. One of the self driving buses is chained behind the diesel bus,allowing many more to be seated inside. Several of the survivors from the museum in St Louis have started losing hair and have felt off, refusing food. All examinations have show their are fine, but even so they are packed into vehicles. There are still dozens who have to walk as they depart for the rail yards to the east.

Last Dance provides forward scouting. The ambient radiation causes significant radio interference, but Gallow Twelve provides overwatch and supports the forward scouts. Half way through the day the group encounters a NEMA company on the highway. The group learns that there are many operations going on right now. But unfortunately even their radios have limited range. There is no satellite communication. They've been sending runners and establishing point to point relays. HAM radio has had some success, but interference has been causing them trouble as well. They are supposed to meet up with their Battalion and fortify the perimeter at St Louis. They are aware of the bomb and are geared accordingly. They urge everyone to leave the area. The newest generation of nukes were design to limit irradiation, but for the new few months it is still enough to cause serious health issues. Carver asks about joining, but the Lieutenant frowns. "Sir, I'd say yes in a heartbeat, but there have been issues with... imposters. I have explicit orders to detain anyone wearing uniforms in this area, operating independently or not in unison with NEMA command, whatever that means now. Either way, we've got too much to deal with so you're on your own unless we meet again."

If Keiko or Ronith makes themselves known, the Lieutenant will glare in suspicion, more at Keiko than Ronith. The man will ask the obvious questions: Whoare you, where do you come from, why are you here. But he is in a hurry. Carver seems to smooth it over as much as possible as the company is in a hurry.

Moving on, the large group comes across a number of vehicles stranded on the highway in the deep snow. Some still contained their occupants who succumbed to the elements, waiting for help that wouldn't arrive. The cold is equitable in it's grip, taking man, woman, child, young and old. They pass several intersecting ley lines, one suddenly appearing out of nowhere.

Carver references his map and mentions they are getting close as night comes on. The group comes off the interstate and finds a collection of fast food restaurants. No one is there and all have been looted, but the group finds a lot still left. Ryver enters one particular fast food joint with a red motif and looks around before asking "Where's the beef?" disappointed in the lack of resources, she pushes on to a neighboring restaurant. There the supplies to make tacos and burritos are found in bulk. "They must have ran for the border." she says, guessing as to how they lucked into so much food. Despite Grant's spell, many are still hungry though there is no need to eat. Food is gathered from other stores, but gas burners are found to cook the food on. Everyone who wants something to eat, can have a meal now.

After food, everyone moves to a nearby hotel to sleep for the evening. Watches are made and everyone who desires rest can find it. While the large group is assembled, several dozen more people arrive to find out what's going on. Some of them have no intentions of leaving, even with the threat of radiation. Most however join the caravan with vehicles of their own.

The following day Heroes and company arrive at the rail yards.

[ooc]Image[/ooc]

Surprisingly there are a team of security guards here with energy weapons and EBA. They are agitated but speak with respect to the group that outnumbers them 50 to 1. "This is private property. You need to move on, there's nothing for you here." she says. The leader is a woman in her 40s with her energy rifle carried in front of her. Her voice is firm but her posture indicates her nervousness to Ashlynn who eyeballs her.
User avatar
Weiss
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Heroes 4 Hire PC

Re: Torment

Post by Weiss »

Perception 56% 1d100 = 1: 1
JIC 1d100 = 53: 53 1d20 = 16: 16

Conditions:
Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.

Save vs poison 1d20+1 = 20: 19

"There is a force of creatures currently heading north by north east away from St Louis" He attaches coordinates in that direction to the transmission, whilst trying to disguise their location.

Electronic Countermeasures 69% 1d100 = 55: 55

He sleeps in the Beauty for what sleep he needs, spending as much time on guard as he can. That amount of radiation, people should stay protected as best they can. He whiles away the time, talking to Jaz and Zac over the bowl and when they sleep, some of the mages at the collegiate, passing along any messages from either timeframe.

Next day, Weiss listens to the orders.
Ronith wrote:Weiss, round up any mechanics we have and see if you can do anything to modify the civilian vehicles and make it easier to follow the tracks.
Weiss rounds up any mechanics that might be with them, especially those better versed in automotive mechanics of this period and anybody who might know anything about the railway tracks in order to make what vehicles they have rail worthy. If possible, they will restore any vehicles that might have been burned out by the explosion. FInally, when he gets chance, Weiss looks at some maintenance as promised to their aerial contingent to keep them flying. If there are any simple parts that require fixing that they do not have replacements for, Weiss asks Grant for help to repair the existing part.

Mechanical Engineer 64% 1d100 = 67: 67
Electrical Engineer 64% 1d100 = 25: 25
Robot Electronics 64% 1d100 = 83: 83
Robot Mechanics 59% 1d100 = 6: 6
http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/vi ... 86&t=16132

HP: 32
SDC: 54

Active:
Clock calendar
Gyro Compass
User avatar
Jack McDermott
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Torment

Post by Jack McDermott »

Perception 45% vs 1d100: [34] = 34
JIC 1d20: [6] = 6 and 1d100: [36] = 36

Save vs Poison: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17

Jack find himself at the rail yard again confused, What is going on?, he wonders. His last memory was dancing around the fire trying to draw in the enemy so the team could escape. Jack eyes the group wondering if any of this is even real.

When the team of security guards approach the group Jack laughs, If I am dreaming, might as well have some fun. Jack steps to the obvious leader and says, "Sorry honey, there is something here for all of us. I suggest you back up, stand down and listen up for direction. If not, we may just leave you behind as bait for the horde of demons that is on the way." Jack shrugs and looks around, "A good distraction will give us more time to get away. So, it's really up to you."

Jack pushes past the woman to get a better look at the rail yard. He turns back to the group looking toward Rontih, "What's the plan boss?
H.P.: 17/17
S.D.C.: 59/59
Perception: 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 15%/25%

Character Sheet
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Torment

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 , 1d100: [18] = 18
PER: 1d100: [78] = 78 vs. 94% (+15% with hearing, +25% to ID friend or foe, strategic assessment, ID strengths and weaknesses of enemy; +10% to ID enemy in disguise, metamorphed, or shape-changed)
Lore: Demons and Monsters- 1d100: [18] = 18 vs. 106%
To recall what he knows about possession.
Trust/Intimidate- 1d100: [9] = 9 vs. 65% (+30% vs. armed forces personnel, +10% if good-aligned, +20% if evil)
To get the guards to allow them access.
Anthropology- 1d100: [87] = 87 vs. 96%
To use language, mannerisms, and cultural/religious references to ‘blend in’ a bit better when addressing the rail yard guards.

As soon as Ronith’s psionics (or training in recognizing supernatural disguises) pick up on the possessed man, the cyber-knight raises a mind block and moves to intercept the man. Already hard to see thanks to his shadow cloak blending him into the background, Ronith’s hands are a blur as he moves to incapacitate the man as quickly (and as gently) as possible. He will attack the fellow with a restrained knockout punch ( 1d20+14: [17]+14 = 31 to strike, 4d6: [3, 5, 5, 1] = 14 SDC damage, 1d20+12: [2]+12 = 14 to pull punch vs. 12), followed by a flip and throw if the man is still conscious ( 1d20+14: [8]+14 = 22 to strike, 4d6: [1, 5, 1, 1] = 8 SDC damage, 1d20+12: [17]+12 = 29 to pull punch vs. 12). Ideally, the man will be stunned or knocked unconscious by the blow, but either way Ronith will see to it that he is securely restrained (and use another of Frostfang’s healing touches to restore the man if necessary). Once that is done, Ronith says ”Find someone who can perform an exorcism. Now.” and stands guard over the figure until help arrives. The cyber-knight will rely on his own mental defenses, and a possessing entity’s reluctance to leave a host quickly, to keep the foe where it is.

The next day, Ronith will supervise the loading of the rescue vehicles with a weary eagerness to get underway. He is anxious about getting all of the civilians to safety- no easy task in the midst of an apocalypse, and despite their progress with the moon bowl the ever-present uncertainty that they will never get back to their own time still gnaws at Ronith. What if it does not work? Take these people to Chicago? Help found the Coalition States? Try to guide them along a better path? Is that even possible? A wry, sardonic smile spreads over his face. I suppose we could always seek out Lord Coake, help found the cyber-knights. For a moment, the idea has a certain appeal. Just one moment, then Ronith turns back to the task at hand.

At the first NEMA checkpoint, Ronith keeps a low profile. Carver and the other scouting teams seem to have this well in-hand, and the presence of a non-human with magic weapons and psychic powers could cause a whole bunch of unnecessary complications. Should Keiko be in the vicinity at the time of the encounter, Ronith will motion at her to do likewise. Otherwise, throughout the rest of the trip Ronith will maintain a sharp lookout towards the front of the group. Not so sharp, however, that he doesn’t take a little time to mourn the dead they pass along the way. Secure in his helmet, Ronith allows the sense of sorrow and loss he feels at the sight to suffuse his face. He can’t do anything of consequence for these people, but he can (and does) bear witness. He will also continue to keep an eye out for anything that looks like a video recorder- digital or otherwise. As they pass near the ley lines, Ronith will pull on ambient ISP from them to use sense evil (and, if necessary, extended presence sense) to keep his third eye out for any trouble.

Finally, as the day ends Ronith will supervise the selection of a campsite (with heavy input from Jack and the more outdoorsy members of the team) and the acquisition of supplies. Since Grant’s spell is sufficient for Ronith, he will forego any food in favor of preserving the refugees’ supplies as long as possible. Ronith supposes that, in that same spirit, he should advise everyone to do the same- while Grant can teach some of the new magic adepts how to cast sustain, and there’s no way of knowing how easy it will be for the human population to feed itself for a long time. But they need the comfort- the simple familiarity of sharing a meal. The small harm is worth letting them have their tacos. So he says nothing, and merely watches the humans as they scrabble to retain some small fragment of what they lost. Later, Ronith will again set a watch schedule and do what he can to fortify or otherwise secure their position- normal watches, since thankfully the demon storm and the ley lines are behind them.

Then, finally, they arrive at the rail yards. As soon as Ronith or the other scouts identify the presence of guards at the facility, he makes sure his helmet is secure and again senses evil ((-2 ISP)). Assuming he detects none, Ronith waits for the convoy to catch up while he ponders his next move. We have come too far to turn back at the first sign of trouble. To say nothing of the fact that some sort of paramilitary force is remaining at its post despite everything. Perhaps we can resolve this without violence. Ronith will put on his ring of Eminent Honor, and wait to see if Carver moves forward to talk to the guards. Perhaps Carver needs a little help on this one. Ronith will then move to follow if Carver goes out, or otherwise approach on his own. Either way, his reaction will be essentially the same, and will start with using empathic transmission to send feelings of love and peace to the guards’ spokeswoman.

”I am sorry, madam, but as Colonel Carver here from NEMA can tell you, this is a humanitarian emergency that supercedes all concerns regarding private property. In case you have not noticed, the world is ending. These people are refugees from St. Louis and we need to get them to safety before this area is overrun by all of the worst things you can imagine all at once. If you just let us go we will be out of your way in a matter of minutes.” Ronith pauses for a moment, then continues in a lower voice. ”Besides, do you really want the last thing you do before you go to meet your maker to be opening fire on a bunch of wounded civilians? This is not a fight you need to pick.” Ronith will give no sign of it, but as he addresses the woman he mentally prepares for battle, identifying several areas likely to benefit from the strategic use of his goblin bombs (especially blinding flash or cloud of smoke). He will again keep his psionic senses up and ready for anything.
Dice rolls
1d20+14, 4d6, 1d20+12: [10]+14+[4, 6, 3, 1]+[12]+12 = 62
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Conditions: Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent);
Sustain | BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
Status
ISP- 83/91; PPE- 57/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 3/4
Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (2/3); Cleanse (3/3)

Anti-tech bonuses: No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Torment

Post by Grant Latham »

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100: [50] = 50
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 , 1d100: [71] = 71
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 92/94
  • P.P.E.: 656/656
  • MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]
Active Magic and Psionics
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 8 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Fly as an Eagle | BOM 115 | 25 PPE| 400.00 min | 50 mph, +1 Parry, +2 Dodge +2 Damage diving attack.
  • Energy Sphere | 120 PPE | BOM 120 | 40 days | 1000 P.P.E./500 M.D.C.
  • Infrared Vision | MA 9 | 2 PPE | 40 min | 2000' |See through 4" S.D.C. .5" light M.D.C. material. 1" dirt. 1' water or heavy M.D.C.
  • Invisibility to Sensors | MA 15 | 20 PPE | 40.00 min
  • Invincible Armor | BOM 121 | 60.00 min | 250 M.D.C. | Regenerate 1d6 M.D.C./melee. Complete Environmental Protection, 1/2 Damage from Energy
  • Ley Line Storm Defense | 90 PPE | BOM 142 | 200' Diameter | 100 min
  • Mystic Invisibility | MA 17 | 25 PPE | 40.00 min
  • Nightvision | MA 9 | 4 PPE | 58.00 min | 3600' in non magical darkness
  • See the Invisible | BOM 92 | 4 PPE | 20 min | 1200'
  • Sense Evil | BOM 92 | 2 PPE | 40 min | 270' radius

* Not worrying about tracking PPE costs since nexus rules are in effect
** Recasting magical defenses as needed since nexus rules are in effect
Possessed Man wrote:Ronith and Grant take a moment to examine the new arrivals. One is revealed to be possessed, a young man with long hair, with worn business attire. Immediately upon discovery, the young man's eyes glaze over and he becomes hostile. Speaking in a tongue familiar to those who know the speech of Hades, he declares, "Look at you! Clinging to life. Pathetic! There is no safety for you, no hope! The waves coming will devour your souls, but first I want a taste!" the man leaps at Ronith with super human speed, but Heroes is from a time when such things are common place. He has no chance of harming either Ronith or Grant. ((detail how he is dealt with)).
Language: Demongogian 96% vs 1d100: [87] = 87 | Understand the possessed
Language: Dragonese 96% vs 1d100: [27] = 27 | Understand the elf woman
Lore: Demons and Monsters 134% vs 1d100: [20] = 20 | Know about possession
Sir Ronith wrote:As soon as Ronith’s psionics (or training in recognizing supernatural disguises) pick up on the possessed man, the cyber-knight raises a mind block and moves to intercept the man. Already hard to see thanks to his shadow cloak blending him into the background, Ronith’s hands are a blur as he moves to incapacitate the man as quickly (and as gently) as possible. He will attack the fellow with a restrained knockout punch, followed by a flip and throw if the man is still conscious . Ideally, the man will be stunned or knocked unconscious by the blow, but either way Ronith will see to it that he is securely restrained (and use another of Frostfang’s healing touches to restore the man if necessary). Once that is done, Ronith says ”Find someone who can perform an exorcism. Now.” and stands guard over the figure until help arrives. The cyber-knight will rely on his own mental defenses, and a possessing entity’s reluctance to leave a host quickly, to keep the foe where it is.
Grant jumps back a step when the man lunges at Sir Ronith, and yells, "Don't! It wants you to attack!" as Sir Ronith responds. For his own part Grant activates his own ability of Mind Block to protect his thoughts and then triggers his talisman of Invulnerability (+10 vs Magic/Psionics/Horror Factor).

He moves over and kneels next to the man and casts Magic Net (BOM 101 | 18 min) on him and says, "The entity inside of him wanted you to hurt his host. I am glad you remembered to not use your full strength." With the man bound, Grant looks up at Sir Ronith as he requests an exorcism, "I may be able to force the entity out." I need to keep the creature from just leaving the body, I'll need to trap it. The Lord Magi casts Energy Field (BOM 101 | 180 MDC | 30 min) around the man and himself in a bubble of protection. He smiles grimly at the man and the thing within it. "It is your doom that has arrived today. I have seen the future, I am from the future. It is I that you must fear," he replies in Demogogian He casts Lightning Arc (BOM 122 | 7.5 min | 6000' | 18d6 +60 M.D. |+4 to strike within 100'), and then reaches down with his right hand, index finger extended and casts Purge Other (100 PPE | BOM 137 | A 'purge' cleanses the body of all toxins, drugs, disease impurities, parasites or possessing forces, and the character feels rested, refreshed, and totally clean. It doesn't restore previous damage but negates future damage).

As the creature is expelled, the Lord Magi casts another Energy Field to protect the man and stands to face the Energy Being visible in his magically enhanced sight. With the byzantine training of the Lords of Magic, the Lord Magi is impervious to possession. He quickly dispatches the creature with magically created bolts of lightning. Once it is destroyed. Grant cancels the bubble surrounding him. Then nullifies the energy field and magic net surrounding the young man. "It has been destroyed," Grant says as he moves back to the young man, checking his body for severe injuries. "We should have the doctor's examine him for any internal damage." He sighs, "He will also need counselling, even a short period of possession will damage a person's psyche."

Grant looks down at himself and his clothing, shakes his head slightly and casts Cleanse. Once the man is with the doctors, he recharges his talisman of Invulnerability.

When the elf woman arrives. Grant recognizes the language and waves the guards off and speaks to her gently in Dragonese after checking her aura. "Welcome, you've passed through a dimensional portal to another world. I am saddened to hear that your companions didn't make it. Please, come with me. We will find you some food. The majority of people here have never seen an elf, so you will startle some of them." As they walk, he goes to where the extra clothes are and finds her a jacket if she needs it and a hat to cover her ears. He brings her to the collegiate team and introduces her to them, knowing at least one or more will speak Dragonese.

As they find a spot to rest for the night, Grant teaches some more, focusing on entities since they'd encountered one earlier in the day.

When they arrive at the rail yard, the mage uses his innate ability to turn invisible to complement his active spells that hide him from mystical and technological means. He flies around the rail yard scouting it out and returns to the main group. If he came across anything, he shares it over the radio to the team.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record

[ooc=Info]H.P.: 49/49 • S.D.C.: 23/23 • P.P.E.: 207/207 • I.S.P.: 60/60 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 64% | 50mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 74% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 90mi • Sense Magic in Use: 500'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.[/ooc]
User avatar
Ashlynn
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Torment

Post by Ashlynn »

Perception: 79% /84% in Wide Open Spaces 1d100: [45] = 45 (SUCCESS)
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15
JIC: 1d100: [96] = 96

Conditions:
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 13.5 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
After Grant and Ronith fight the possessed man, Ashlynn will be quick to render first aid if sought out.

First Aid 95% 1d100: [76] = 76 (SUCCESS)

Ashlynn accompanies the group to the hotel, where she helps prepare and serve food to the hungry.

Cook 95% 1d100: [75] = 75 (SUCCESS)

After the people rest for the night, Ashlynn plunders the hotel laundry, collecting as many clean blankets are available, in case the decision is made to use the railcars. Can't have folks freezing to death... I wish there were generators and heaters.

She will look for things like portable heaters in the storerooms and kitchens.
OOC Comments
She doesn't know this, but hotels carry a store of cans of sterno for catering events. Ideally, she finds several boxes.
Salvage 60% 1d100: [84] = 84 (FAIL)

In the kitchens, she will grab a supply of nonperishable foods - canned goods and the like - as well as can openers. Ideally, enough to feed all the refugees as they travel.

Salvage 60% 1d100: [5] = 5 (CRIT SUCCESS)

She will load any blankets, canned food, and sterno she has found into the APC for now, to be distributed as needed.

As they arrive at the railyard, Ashlynn sees the guards.
leader wrote:"This is private property. You need to move on, there's nothing for you here."
She edges over to Ronith. "She seems legit. She's nervous, scared." she smiles at the woman.

Charm: 50% 1d100: [25] = 25 (SUCCESS)

"Hi! I'm Ashlynn! What's your name?"

Provided she answers, Ashlynn will continue. "This is Ronith - we're trying to get these folks as far away from that big ol' fungus cloud we saw last night. Wanna join us? You really shouldn't linger here - if that wind shifts, well... You might find yourself havin' flipper babies a couple years from now."

Invoke Trust: 40% 1d100: [44] = 44 (FAIL)
Ashlynn
AKA Mega KillRocket Superstar

H.P.: 45/45
S.D.C.: 68/68


TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45/45
  • Arms: 40/40 each
  • Legs: 45/45 each
  • Main Body: 100/100

Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, and +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Infrared & thermal masking


N-F20A Medium Force Field (integrated into FreeRunner Exoskeleton)
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Force Field: 75

Features:
  • 10 hour duration per E-clip
Post Reply

Return to “Heroes for Hire Adventure Forum”