Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

If supernatural evil feels persecuted, you can bet the Templar are responsible.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1660
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Consumer »

Road to Redemption: A play in three parts, part two, Act One.
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Enganno Island, Indian Ocean
Date: April 18, 111 PA, 4:40 PM (5 minutes have passed)
Weather: High 93°, Low 75°; Raining
Map
Mission Notes
Jason Long: No skills used.
Leo Milton: No skills used.
Rufus: No skills used.
Dhaltuun Onyxforge: No skills used.
Travis Murdoc: No skills used.
Teres Barton: No skills used.
Rory: No skills used.
Father Josiah Reno: No skills used.

Teres Barton wrote:"Looks like he will live. The Norse gods have not claimed him yet. If it was a serious head injury he would have trouble staying awake and not be moving. I guess having a thick skull does come in handy. Probably 5 hours for that walk. Given how a concussion can get worse quickly from a minor tap or slip I advise we take it slower. Jessie, I would definitely keep an eye out on Dhal just incase. Make sure he does not go sliding down hills or jumping out of trees in the immediate future."
Rory wrote:"I'm gonna try a spell on Dhaltuun. May not do anything, but I figure it's better to try an' do nothin' than ta not try at all... Heya wooden-head. Gonna try a healing spell, just in case. Probably won't do a thing, but figure it's worth a shot, right?.. Might take a while ta do anything. Might not do anything at all."
Teres Barton wrote:"Can't hurt him I suppose... honestly I saw worse damage in that Forklift Drag race at the base my unit was assigned to for night watch duty a few years back. The sight of a Forklift flying off a dock at 80kph and landing into a lake does not get old..."
Rufus wrote:"Not a bad idea -- he can't play Dwarfball again if you're holding on to him... It was impressively entertaining, and worthy of Mr. Drak's Traveling Circus, my friend, but I think we've learned to only Dwarfball in an emergency, yes?"
Teres Barton wrote:"And Yes Rufus is right, its good to see you didn't leave." she offers genuinely, "And Rory, we all do what we can. Besides you mages can out do my few minor skills and sensing water. I just have militia service time and salvaging history. You tend to be learn a little of everything while I was in the service, like some firefighting courses I did. Been ages since I used those skills though. I would need to relearn them. GAW started me on climbing and ropeworks for ship and large facility salvage work as well before I moved on from that. Nothing like seeing a 30+ ton tank being lifted by cables. Looks amazing."
Jessie seems unamused by any talk about Dhaltuun, to the point she seems to be giving the silent treatment. Rory successfully cast her spell on Dhaltuun, but it doesn’t seem to have any effect on the Dwarf. Only works on superficial wounds as per spell description ~Consumer Jessie again wanders away floating into the air approximately ninety feet or so, before going invisible once more. Dhaltuun looks a bit cross eyed and seems to be thinking very hard to himself.

Rory and Teres talk about some things that while interesting to them, do not have anything to do with the situation at hand, it goes on for a while till Rufus speaks up.
Rufus wrote:"Since we're clearly going to be here longer than we figured we would, how about a sustenance spell for dessert? I know one that should last for, oh...About 7 or 8 days? We can go without food or water until it wears off... and come to think of it, even air for that matter... plus you only need a couple hours of actual sleep per night. Lady at the Guild who taught it to me said she swears by it when she's off exploring dimensions. Either way, the spell should last us as long as we're here -- provided we're done before a week's out, anyway. Who's interested?"
No one immediately responds, but Rufus feels an invisible tap on his shoulder, and Vlad walks over. They seem to be in agreement. While Rufus casts the first of his spells, discussion of the approach happens.
Teres Barton wrote:"I say we approach carefully and look out as we go in. We have a sniper so get a look before going in. Use the scope to get a look and then we try and look friendly if it is safe. Keep an eye out for slavers, pirates, people who look like they are charmed or intimidated or weapons in the open that look like guards or thugs. that sort of thing. That could be a sign the village is under command by someone they don't like. If it is it will be in their voice, actions, eyes and faces. It looks too quiet, ya know? or I am paranoid...
Rufus wrote:"Or it could be that they already know we're here and are holing up until they have a better idea of whether or not we're friendly... We should probably assume they already know we're here in any event, though. Any village worth its salarium would have lookouts capable of seeing this far down the beach. Question is, how do we make ourselves look cuddly, fluffy, and friendly?.. Well, that's two out of three already -- so how to make ourselves look friendly?.. What if we walked closer in, slowly, casually, and non-threateningly until we were just close enough to shout friendly-style greetings?"
Murdoc wrote:"I'm up for a little magic induced sustenance... I say we walk in like its any old Tuesday and ask is they have a boat we can charter... Or maybe boats. Could be they know of someone with a bigger boat too."
Father Josiah Reno wrote:"I'm not so sure, my new friend. I've walked into many a remote town and they seldom react welcoming...at least initially. I would suggest we start with a small contingent to go in, maybe a few of us who look the least ready to battle, and the rest wait outside the village. After that we find whoever is in charge, offer them what help we can in exchange for what we need, and put the rest in God's hands."
Jason Long wrote:"Thanks Rufus. That will be a big help... Reno makes a valid point. Whether or not they actually have lookouts in the area, there is a good chance that they know we are here. We aren't exactly the stealthiest group in the world. Some of us, because of our size or gear, may appear especially threatening... Rufus, Father Reno, I'd like the two of you to go in. Rufus, because you are one of the least threatening looking and have the 'gift of the gab'. Father Reno, because you have the gift of making people trust you. Reassure the villagers that we aren't some group of raiders or slavers, see if they can help us with boats or intel on the area, and keep an eye out to make sure that they aren't a threat to us. Also, keep your radio's keyed so that we can hear what's going on. "
Teres wrote:"I'll take that sustain spell too. much appreciated. Certainly possible they are friendly. and They might also be dressing the place to look peaceful as a trap. Many a slaver, bandit, and monster do that to lure in victims. After all, putting up a 'Slave-Mart' sign is pretty obviously going to scare people. So keep an eye out just in case... Either way, We see anything dangerous on scopes and sensors we can radio you... Mind if I go scouting? it's too quiet in that jungle. Even us tromping through should have not scared off all of the animals."
Rufus casts Sustain on the rest of the party. And some semblance of a plan is made. This leaves Rufus and Father Reno heading towards the village, while the others wait behind. The walk around the soaked rice fields is not unpleasant, and eventually the duo gets within a few hundred feet of the first buildings when someone notices them and approaches. The trio of human males, young to middle aged, with rich brown skin and coal black hair approach. They are wearing colorful garments of cloth and seem unarmed themselves. They speak a fast paced language that seems to lack hard consonants. But the duo can feel the fish in their ear squirm a tad as it does it work.

”Greetings strangers, why do you come to our village?” The eldest of the three says, his face seems friendly enough.

GM Notes: Leo did not post this week. (1 Week)

Jason Long:
Leo Milton: Sustain 8/8 days.
Rufus: P.P.E.: 91/303; Ring of Invisibility (2 of 3 charges remaining/24hr), -8 Meal Bars, Sustain 8/8 days.
Dhaltuun Onyxforge: 128/163 P.P.E.; Armor (Main Body): -4 M.D.C., Punch Drunk: -2 to all combat rolls, and -10% to all skills, Sustain 8/8 days.
Jessie the Valkyrie: Sustain 8/8 days.
Rory: S.D.C.: 18/25, P.P.E.: 141/151; Sustain 8/8 days.
Travis Murdoc: Sustain 8/8 days.
Teres Barton: I.S.P.: 69/88, Sustain 8/8 days.
Father Josiah Reno: Sustain 8/8 days.


What are your intentions?
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Murdoc
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 am
Location: Rifts: Templar (PC)

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Murdoc »

Percep 83%: 1d100: [25] = 25
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 1d100: [2] = 2

Conditions:
Tiny symbiotic fish that translates language
  • Effect: Automatically translates any language to one the host understands.
  • Will attempt to translate responses at 50% chance.
  • Lifespan: 6 months
  • Notes: Created by a Genesplicer, no side effects



On Jason's order, Murdoc holds back from entering the village. Staying with the main part of the group while Rufus and Reno go to talk to the natives, Murdoc decides to look a little less hostile by sitting down on the ground. Legs crossed and elbows on his knees, he rests his head in his hands and zooms his telescopic eyes in on the party members entering the village. If they pass out of sight, Murdoc will let a little sigh slip out and then turn his enhanced vision onto the land mass out in the sea, attempting to make out any details, Perhaps that is the place we seek? It would be great if it was, but I have a feeling we are going to be island hopping. Why is nothing ever a straight forward as it's made out to be?

Continuing to sit on the ground with his head in his hands, Murdoc asks the group in general, "So, does anyone think this is going to be as easy as the guy said? I'm thinking we're going to be wondering around these islands for a while and when we do find the place, they aren't going to be any happier to see us as they would have Mack."
Travis Murdoc

OOC Comments
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Teres Barton
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:25 am

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Teres Barton »

Perception: 1d100: [76] = 76 / 54%
JiC d20 | d100: 1d20: [2] = 2 | 1d100: [67] = 67
murdoc wrote: "So, does anyone think this is going to be as easy as the guy said? I'm thinking we're going to be wondering around these islands for a while and when we do find the place, they aren't going to be any happier to see us as they would have Mack."
"Not expecting it to be. then again I do have a soldier's expectation that nothing is ever easy or fully explained. Hell half the missions I ever went we were not given full Intel. The old adage is never to give your troops more info than they need to know. Especially if you think they will be captured." she shrugs, "You seeing anything exciting out there yet, Murdoc?" she asks the ex-Juicer.

"So who wants to put 5 credits down we have to fight some goons to get this data and get out alive? Personally, my money is on Macks contact trying to renege on the deal. the plan seems too simple." she adds looking at her bow's sights and adjusting them slightly.
I've got a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff
And I want my life to smell like this
To find a place, an ancient race
The kind you'd like to gamble with


Image

Teres Barton
HP: 19/19
SDC: 33/33
ISP: 68/88
Equipment:
OOC Comments
Armor:
Wrangler Riding Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 70
Arms: 32 each
Legs: 45 each
Main Body: 85
Branaghan Overcoat
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 40
Arms: +8 with overcoat
Legs: +12 with overcoat
Main Body: +28 with overcoat
Weapons:
Tesla Bow (Patron Item)
Range: 1,500'
Damage: 4D6 per bolt of lightning + Tesla Effect
Rate of Fire: per the skill of the archer
Payload: Unlimited
Weight: 8 lbs.
Features: Does M.D. in a mega-damage environment
Tesla Effect: Stunned (lose initiative & 1 APM) for 1 melee round per each hit and failed to save vs. non-lethal toxins; effective even against environmental M.D.C. armor
Modifiers: +2 to strike; two-handed weapon; no minimum strength to use
Modified NA-LB1 Laser Bow
Range: 1000'
Damage: 3D6 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Single shots only
Payload: Effectively unlimited, but bow string needs replacement after 500 shots; 20 shots if E-Clip is used for emergencies (port included)
Weight: 4 lbs.
Features: M.D.C. material (150 M.D.C, can only be damaged if directly targeted); can fire normal arrows as well
IP-12 Ion Pistol
Range: 500'
Damage: 3D6 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Single shots only
Payload: 10 shots per E-Clip, 20 shots per LE-Clip
Arrows:
Leg Quivers:
Each holds 12 arrows
• Left Leg: 2 Explosive Arrows (1 Heavy and 1 light), 2 MD Arrows, 1 Smoke Arrow, 1 IR Flare Arrow, 4 Wooden Stake Arrows, 2 Neural Disrupter Arrows.
• Right Leg: 2 Explosive Arrows (1 Heavy and 1 light), 2 MD Arrows, 1 Smoke Arrow, 1 IR Flare Arrow, 4 Wooden Stake Arrows, 2 Neural Disrupter Arrows.
Bow quiver:
4 stun, 1 smoke, 1 Flare
(in case bow gets taken from her she keeps the lethal arrows on her to prevent them from being used against her)
Quiver x2:
each Holds 24 Arrows.
• 4 Smoke Arrows
• 4 IR Flare Arrows
• 12 MD Arrows
• 4 Neural Disrupter Arrows
User avatar
Leo
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:23 am

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Leo »

Perception: 37% 1d100: [16] = 16

JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15
JIC: 1d100: [81] = 81

Conditions: Babble Fish translator

As they walk, Leo begins to get hungry. Kinda surprised this didn't happen earlier... as a juicer I was nearly always hungry. Realizing that food and water are scarce, he attempts to employ his skills as they walk to forage food.

Wilderness Survival 55% 1d100: [92] = 92 (look for edible roots, nuts, berries, etc. as well as running water - LOLFAIL)
Track Animals 28% 1d100: [66] = 66 (look for wild game tracks - FAIL)

Thinking on Teres' warning, he also adds "If we find any water, at a minimum we'll need to boil it somehow." He glances at Dhaltuun. Did he bring a pot? I wonder...

When Rufus offers the sustain spell, Leo blurts out "Or that! Yeah, if you got the juice I'll take a glass!"
Jason wrote:"Some of us, because of our size or gear, may appear especially threatening"
Leo smiles and puts on his most innocent face. "Me? I'm as harmless as a kitten."

Nevertheless, Leo waits with the group as Rufus and Father Reno head into town to try to charter a boat. He helps Dhaltuun sit, to rest a bit, and sits with him to keep an eye on him as Jessie comes and goes.
Leo, Titan Juicer
Theme song: Thunderstruck - AC/DC
OOC Comments

H.P.: 343/343
S.D.C.: 570/1070

Titan Plate armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 70/70
Right Arm: 50/50
Left Arm: 50/50
Right Leg: 60/60
left Leg: 60/60
Main Body: 79/195
User avatar
Jason Long
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Jason Long »

Perception: 71% / 1d100: [93] = 93
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [54] = 54

Leo smiles and puts on his most innocent face. "Me? I'm as harmless as a kitten."

Jason laughs quietly, "Sure you are, a kitten the size of a Buick." He gazes down at Rufus and the priest, hoping that things go well. There was very little they could do until their emissaries return or wave them in.

Jason checks in on Dhaltuun. "Hopefully things go well with the village and we can get a boat or help getting you to where we can get a boat. You are going to have to take it easy for a few days. Concussions are no joke. We'll split up your gear to share the load. Until our healers say you are clear, no heavy work for you."

Jason leans back against a tree and lights up a cigar while waiting for word.
Jason Long
OOC Comments
HP: 49/21
SDC: 52/52
Triarius Heavy Armor
• Helmet: 100
• Main Body: 200
• Arms: 125 each
• Legs: 150 each
• Arm Shield: 300
Modifiers: -15% to physical skills, +1 to strike with ranged weapons
User avatar
Rory
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:35 am

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Rory »

Perception: d100: 1d100: [64] = 64 / 21%
JiC d20 | d100: 1d20: 1d20: [10] = 10 | 1d100: 1d100: [25] = 25

Rory wanders around the area a little. Sitting down doesn't particularly interest her. Eventually, she gets bored, and finds herself a place where she can look out toward the village and the sea. When Leo talks about water, she responds.

"I can make water, in a pinch. No need to purify it. All I need is a container to put it in."

After that, she just sits there, watching and listening. She doesn't react much - though you can hear her snort when Leo claims to be as harmless as a kitten. After a few few minutes of inactivity, she sighs and stands up.

"Can't just sit here lollygaggin'."

She carefully goes over her equipment, making sure everything appears to be working properly. When she finishes that, she again sits for a few minutes before doing over to check on Dhaltuun.

"How you doin', Pinball? Lemme know if you got any issues, neh?"

She chuckles, then turns her eyes to the village once again.

"Wonder if I can work out their layout without gettin' closer?"

She gazes intently at the village in the distance, trying to work out the layout. She is very interested in trying to determine if they've designed it for defense or not, and, if so, where they'd put in offensive and defensive features on the quiet.

Military fortifications: 1d100: [43] = 43 /55%

Rory.
Status
-Current Hit Points: 42/42
-Current SDC: 18/25
-Current PPE: 131/151

Armor: High Magus armor
Helmet: 45
Arms: 15 each
Legs: 30 each
Main Body: 50

Weapons:
Slung over back: Nuhr rune musket rifle
Range: 1,600'
Damage: 6D6 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Single shots only
Payload: 50 blasts
Weight: 8.5 lbs.
Features: Costs 40 P.P.E. to reload
Modifiers: P.S. <26: -3 to strike

Utility belt: Vibro-axe
Range: Close Combat
Damage: 2D6 M.D.
Payload: 1 E-Clip will last approximately 1 hour
Weight: 4 lbs
OOC Comments
User avatar
Father Josiah Reno
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:28 pm

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Father Josiah Reno »

Perception: 42% 1d100: [11] = 11
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5
JIC%: 1d100: [29] = 29

Josiah heads down to the village with Rufus. As the head head in, he leans over to Rufus and whispers, "I will leave the specifics of our mission to you if they ask. I'll just work on getting them to like us." Josiah chuckles as he says the last part.
Consumer wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:58 am”Greetings strangers, why do you come to our village?” The eldest of the three says, his face seems friendly enough.
Reno walks forward, slowly but deliberately, with his hands open to show he had no weapons in them. Time to turn up the charm. "Blessings to you and your village, good sir." He indicates to Rufus, "My companion and I have traveled here with others and are looking for assistance." Best to be truthful here. "Would your village be willing to assist? We are amenable to assisting ya'll in any way can as a repayment." Reno looks to Rufus to see what he'll add.

Charm/Impress: 20% 1d100: [3] = 3
Invoke Trust: 70% 1d100: [70] = 70
User avatar
Rufus
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:03 pm
Location: Rifts Merctown: The Templar
Contact:

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Rufus »

Perception: 1d100<83: [18*] = 1
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [83] = 83

Conditions:
- PPE: 91/303 at the start of this post
- Ring of Invisibility: 2/3 charges remaining
- Sustain: 8 days remaining
Sustain allows the recipient of this enchantment to go for days without food, water, or breathable air! The magic keeps their energy level up and removes the need for any outside source of these things. In addition, the recipient only needs two hours sleep per night for the duration of the magic. The individual can survive in almost any environment. However, the character remains vulnerable to other external conditions such as heat, cold, and physical damage, and fatigues from exertion as normal.

- Translator Fish:
"This creature I whipped up in my lab will go in your ear and live there for a while… Estimated lifespan is six months… Once in there it will gently affix itself to your eardrum and collect the sounds coming into your ear, and with sympathetic psionics, it will translate the language into something you understand. On the flipside, it will attempt to translate your speech in your brain to one that it has received, though this is to a limited effect, so keep the speaking simple and you should be okay.”

- Fly as the Eagle: 30 minutes remaining.
The power of flight is bestowed upon the spell caster or person it is cast upon. It is especially effective outdoors, and in large, open areas. Maximum Speed: 50 mph (80 km). Bonuses: +1 to parry, +2 to dodge and +2 to damage on a diving attack. Bonuses apply only when in flight.

Consumer wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:58 am
Jason Long wrote:"Thanks Rufus. That will be a big help... Reno makes a valid point. Whether or not they actually have lookouts in the area, there is a good chance that they know we are here. We aren't exactly the stealthiest group in the world. Some of us, because of our size or gear, may appear especially threatening... Rufus, Father Reno, I'd like the two of you to go in. Rufus, because you are one of the least threatening looking and have the 'gift of the gab'. Father Reno, because you have the gift of making people trust you. Reassure the villagers that we aren't some group of raiders or slavers, see if they can help us with boats or intel on the area, and keep an eye out to make sure that they aren't a threat to us. Also, keep your radio's keyed so that we can hear what's going on. "
Rufus casts Sustain on the rest of the party. And some semblance of a plan is made.
"Will do," Rufus nods as he activates his comlink. "While we're going to make nice with the locals, how about saying a few prayers to whoever may be listening that we don't commit gross offense and start a war or something..." he adds with a smirk. I kid, but it'd be our luck we do exactly that.

He turns to Father Reno. "Father, given the circumstances I'd like to use a translation spell on the two of us..." he points to his ear. "Not that I don't trust these fishes, but my spell lets us speak any language as well as understand. I'd hate for us to try and say 'we'd like to borrow a boat' but have it come out as 'we'll pillage your homes and stampede your women.' If you'll allow me..."

If Father Reno assents, he'll cast Tongues on him as well as himself. This trip is getting exhausting, he thinks to himself. Hopefully we can find a safe place to settle down for the night so I can recover my strength.

Tongues Spell Stats
Range: Self or others by touch.
Duration: 3 minutes (12 melees) per level of experience.
Saving Throw: None.
P.P.E.: Twelve

The magic enables the character to perfectly understand and speak all spoken languages: 98% proficiency. An understanding of written languages is not provided by this magic. See the Eyes of Thoth.
Consumer wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:58 amThis leaves Rufus and Father Reno heading towards the village, while the others wait behind. The walk around the soaked rice fields is not unpleasant, and eventually the duo gets within a few hundred feet of the first buildings when someone notices them and approaches. The trio of human males, young to middle aged, with rich brown skin and coal black hair approach. They are wearing colorful garments of cloth and seem unarmed themselves. They speak a fast paced language that seems to lack hard consonants. But the duo can feel the fish in their ear squirm a tad as it does it work.
Rufus touches down but does not cancel the flight spell -- just in case -- and walks alongside the priest as he looks around, taking in as much of the sights as he can. He specifically looks for any signs of technology or magic that may not have been readily apparent at a distance.
Father Josiah Reno wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:19 amJosiah heads down to the village with Rufus. As the head head in, he leans over to Rufus and whispers, "I will leave the specifics of our mission to you if they ask. I'll just work on getting them to like us." Josiah chuckles as he says the last part.
"We're sending in the clergy and the group's resident eye candy..." Rufus chuckles as he nods. "How can we fail?"

As they get closer, he starts sniffing the air and reaching out with his arcane senses. I didn't sense any ley lines earlier, but you never know...

Rufus Sensing Stuff... or not
1d100<64: [29*] = 1 to track blood scent up to 1,000’/305 m away
1d100<76: [52*] = 1 to recognize common/known smells
1d100<54: [7*] = 1 to recognize the scent of others up to 50’/15.2 m away
Sense Ley Line: 80 miles (128.8 km). Can follow the feeling to the location of the ley line. 1d100<72: [11*] = 1
Sense Ley Line Nexus: Can follow ley line to as many nexus points as it may have. 1d100<82: [98] = 0
Sense a Rift: Anywhere within 120 miles (193.1 km) of him.
Sense Magic in Use: Up to 800’ (243.8 m) away.
See Magic Energy. Range: 1,000' (305 m)
Consumer wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:58 am”Greetings strangers, why do you come to our village?” The eldest of the three says, his face seems friendly enough.
Father Josiah Reno wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:19 amReno walks forward, slowly but deliberately, with his hands open to show he had no weapons in them. Time to turn up the charm. "Blessings to you and your village, good sir." He indicates to Rufus, "My companion and I have traveled here with others and are looking for assistance." Best to be truthful here. "Would your village be willing to assist? We are amenable to assisting ya'll in any way can as a repayment." Reno looks to Rufus to see what he'll add.
Rufus bows slightly as he flashes his best 'nice-to-meet-you' grin. "I would imagine that strangers showing up in your village isn't something that happens every day, so we apologize if we've caused any worry or alarm as that isn't our intention. My people have a saying -- 'strangers are just friends you haven't met yet -- so please, allow us to introduce ourselves." He gestures to his priestly companion. "This is Father Josiah, I am Rufus, and we along with our companions back behind us on the beach are known as the Templar. Who are you, friends? And what is the name of your village?"

Charm/Impress: 1d100<40: [51] = 0
Charm/Impress 2nd attempt: 1d100<40: [72] = 0
Invoke Trust: 1d100<25: [93] = 0
Invoke Trust 2nd attempt: 1d100<25: [25] = 0

Once they give their names and the name of their village (assuming they do), he'll nod as the smile never leaves his face. "As Father Josiah says, we're in need of assistance. We've been sent to find a floating city known as Gamu. We don't know much about it, but our employer believes it to be in this general area. We were hoping that since you live here you might be able to tell us more about it, if it's nearby, and possibly if it is, if there's a way we could get there."
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1660
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Consumer »

Road to Redemption: A play in three parts, part two, Act One.
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Enganno Island, Indian Ocean
Date: April 18, 111 PA, 4:45 PM (5 minutes have passed)
Weather: High 93°, Low 75°; Raining
Map
Mission Notes
Jason Long: No skills used.
Leo Milton: No skills used.
Rufus: Scent (To track blood scent up to 1,000’ away): Animal blood, faint.
Scent (To recognize common/known smells): Humans, plants, Seafood, Normal Refuse.
Scent (To recognize the scent of others up to 50’ away): Other than his companion, none noticed.
Sense Ley Line: None.
Sense Ley Line Nexus: None
Sense a Rift: None
Sense Magic in Use: None
See Magic Energy: A little bit.
Dhaltuun Onyxforge: No skills used.
Travis Murdoc: Military fortifications None that you can see. They’re defensible for high waves, not invasions.
Teres Barton: No skills used.
Rory: No skills used.
Father Josiah Reno: No skills used.


With the Villagers
Rufus and Father Reno
Father Josiah Reno wrote:"Blessings to you and your village, good sir... My companion and I have traveled here with others and are looking for assistance... Would your village be willing to assist? We are amenable to assisting ya'll in any way can as a repayment."
The trio looks to Rufus and Father Reno with a bit of confusion.
Rufus wrote:"I would imagine that strangers showing up in your village isn't something that happens every day, so we apologize if we've caused any worry or alarm as that isn't our intention. My people have a saying -- 'strangers are just friends you haven't met yet -- so please, allow us to introduce ourselves... This is Father Josiah, I am Rufus, and we along with our companions back behind us on the beach are known as the Templar. Who are you, friends? And what is the name of your village?"
This elicits a chuckle. ”Oh visitors are not as uncommon as you’d think. Our village is Pahanuma.” The eldest of the trio says.
Rufus wrote:"As Father Josiah says, we're in need of assistance. We've been sent to find a floating city known as Gamu. We don't know much about it, but our employer believes it to be in this general area. We were hoping that since you live here you might be able to tell us more about it, if it's nearby, and possibly if it is, if there's a way we could get there."
Again Rufus and Father Reno get a confused look. ”I’ve never heard of such a place. I can tell you it’s not on this island or the Islands nearby.” The elder villager says. ”As for assistance, we can only offer so much, so I ask you to be more specific if you need anything else, save answers to questions.” The elder says. The two hunters with him look very relaxed now.

From behind those having a conversation, the village seems lively enough, people going about their lives oblivious to anything that may or may not be going on.

In the Jungle
Jason, Leo, Murdoc, Rory, Dhaltuun, Teres, Jessie

The rest of the Templar stand around and talk, some checking on Dhaltuun, who is just swaying about unsteadily, but has nothing to really say. For those watching Rufus and Father Reno, see the two are talking to a trio of villagers, and nothing seems amiss. People of the village seem to be continuing their lives, unthreatened by the possibility of violence the Templar might represent.

GM Notes: Dhaltuun did not post this week. (2nd Week; Last warning)

Jason Long:
Leo Milton: Sustain 8/8 days.
Rufus: P.P.E.: 91/303; Ring of Invisibility (2 of 3 charges remaining/24hr), -8 Meal Bars, Sustain 8/8 days.
Dhaltuun Onyxforge: 128/163 P.P.E.; Armor (Main Body): -4 M.D.C., Punch Drunk: -2 to all combat rolls, and -10% to all skills, Sustain 8/8 days.
Jessie the Valkyrie: Sustain 8/8 days.
Rory: S.D.C.: 18/25, P.P.E.: 141/151; Sustain 8/8 days.
Travis Murdoc: Sustain 8/8 days.
Teres Barton: I.S.P.: 69/88, Sustain 8/8 days.
Father Josiah Reno: Sustain 8/8 days.


What are your intentions?
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Dhaltuun Onyxforge
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:10 am
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Dhaltuun Onyxforge »

Perception: 1d100: [35] = 35 /34%
Just in Case: 1d20: [7] = 7 ; 1d100: [80] = 80
Conditions:
Similar to the Ley Line Walker' s ability, the Shifter can feel the surge of energy whenever a Rift is within 50 miles +20 miles per additional level of experience. He can also tell when a new Rift appears along a ley line he is standing on regardless of the distance. When this happens, a Shifter instantly knows the general direction the Rift is located and whether it is big or small. The Shifter is also able to sense other types of dimensional disturbances such as Teleports and dimensional anomalies that occur within his sensing range. The latter is limited to one half the Shifter's usual range.
Note: This sensing ability specifically relates to dimensional portals/Rifts and not nexus points and ley lines.


PPE: 128 at end of post / 143

Conditions:
128/163 P.P.E.,
Armor (Main Body): -4 M.D.C.,
Punch Drunk: -2 to all combat rolls, and -10% to all skills.


Skills:
Cooking 74% - Punch Drunk: -10% to all skills. - 1d100: [37] = 37 - using cooking as a calming activity
GM Note: There is no food to cook, nor is there a fire made. ~Consumer


Post -
Dhaltuun tries to get his head together, but thre are too many pretty colors and little birds flying around to fully concentrate. Even though he does his best, Dhaltuun just cant focus. He finally decides to sit and meditate. After a few moments, He stands again…slowly. ”I need to focus till this goes away.” With a shake of his head, Dhal decides to cook something. He slowly gathers his gear and tries to cook on a fire to calm himself down. ”I am gonna let the Vanir and Aesir guide my hand. Just relax and let the cooking happen.”
Dhaltuun Onyxforge
http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/vi ... 80&t=16028
OOC Comments
S.D.C.: 64/64
Hit Points: 49/49
P.P.E.: 115/115

Armor Worn: Mage armor
Weapon(s) Carried and Locations: WI-SR15 Sniper Rifle with Kisentite bayonet (slung over left shoulder), NEMA Automag (AMT) Pistol (on CAF Elite Corps Load-Bearing Chest Rig), Kisentite Cutlass with silvered basket (strapped to left hip in a scabbard), Nuhr Rune Grappling Hook & Line (Tied to right hip), BigBore "Buccaneer" Breech-Lock Pistol (L-R)/TW Firebolt Pistol (R-L)(on old style baldric)

Current Conditions:


Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Coma/Death: +14%
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): +4
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4
Insanity (12+): --
Psionic (15+): --
Possession: +2
Horror Factor: +11

Nightvision 300 feet
Sharp vision (doesn’t deteriorate with time)
Augmented P.S.
Superior endurance (fatigues at 1/4 normal rate)
Max. Encumbrance: 108 lbs
Max. Carrying Weight: 460 lbs
Max. Lifting Weight: 920 lbs
Max. Jumping Ability: Leap 5' long X 4' ft high
Swimming: can swim 69 yards/meters per round for 88 rounds

Special Abilities
Dimensional Rift Home
  • Can always find his way home from another dimension.
    Can always dimensional teleport home at the cost of a paltry 75 P.P.E.
    Only applies to himself and his familiar as well as gear carried and not anybody else (a full rift or dimensional portal is necessary to take others with him).
    Uses 1 melee action
    Rifting on same world - 1/2 ppe of dimension rift home
    Limit - must have visited location before or use communication rift
    Will appear on nexus near desired location (or stone pyramid)
    Can even use on ley line to move along it or jump to a nearby ley line
Sense Rifts
  • Range - within 90 miles +20 miles per level
    Will detect new rift if it opens along the line I am on, regardless of distance (will know where rift is as well as size)
    Can detect teleports and other dimension disturbances at 45 miles +10 miles per level
    He will also instantly know what general direction the rift is located and whether the rift is big or small.
    Note: This sensing ability specifically relates to dimensional portals/rifts and not ley nexuses and ley lines.
Dimension Sense - 49% (+5%)
  • Concentrate for 1d6+2 mins to know: type of dimension, if it supports human life, its magic Level, how it was created, if it will close soon, its frequency of opening, any dimensional monsters nearby or in portal (-10% skill), plus unusual characteristics, just by reading portal or meditating after stepping thru
    See O.C.C. description for further details
Dimensional Travel
[/list]Cost: 125 P.P.E. for familiar and caster / +25 P.P.E. per person / remains open for 1 min
When targeting a random dimension - can open anywhere / drawn to locations rich in P.P.E.
When targeting home dimension - 100% random location appearance
When targeting dimensions visited - will appear in random, but hospitable location
Can use Re-Open Gateway or Dimensional portal at 1/2 P.P.E. in ritual / takes 1d6x10+15 min / open for 1 min per level (4th lvl = 4 mins), close it at will, manipulate size at will (max 10 ft tall x 10 ft wide per level)(4th Lvl = 40 ft tall x 40 ft wide)[/list]

Communication Rift
  • P.P.E.: on or within 1/2 mile of nexus - 50 P.P.E. / on or within 1/2 mile of ley line - 100 P.P.E. / anywhere else away from ley line - 200 P.P.E.
    Duration: 1 min per level (4th = 4 mins)
    Success ratio 34% +5% if done as ritual gives +20% success
    Time to open: 1d4 rds / as ritual: takes 1d6x10+15 min
    If fail but within 20% will contact correct location but not necessarily the right target
    Send familiar - must return in time or trapped until a portal can be opened (x1 per 24 hrs)
Familiar Link
  • Linked to – Marcella the Osprey (monsters and animals pg 158-159)
    Mentally and physically linked with familiar
    Familiar is linked to the shifter and obeys his every command, verbal and mental.
    If the familiar is killed, the shifter will permanently lose 10 hit points; see description for full consequences.
Summoning
  • Battle of wills - roll above my MA +ME bonus; 3 out of 5x (if fail is subservient)
    If save - roll init....if I win close rift / if fail creature appears and might attack
    If beat creature - use pact
    If lose to creature - the shifter might be attacked or the being escapes
    Max # of Minions: 2 lesser (4 sub demons) - sub demons or imp-like minor being, poltergeists or haunting entity = 1 lesser/2 lesser beings = 1 greater
User avatar
Murdoc
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 am
Location: Rifts: Templar (PC)

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Murdoc »

Percep 83%: 1d100: [15] = 15
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 1d100: [44] = 44

Conditions:
Tiny symbiotic fish that translates language
  • Effect: Automatically translates any language to one the host understands.
  • Will attempt to translate responses at 50% chance.
  • Lifespan: 6 months
  • Notes: Created by a Genesplicer, no side effects


Teres wrote:"You seeing anything exciting out there yet, Murdoc?"
Murdoc shrugs to Teres' question, then raises an eyebrow at the mention of a bet, says, "I'd put some money on that, but I'm betting the same side as you. Don't think anyone here is willing to take up the other side that this'll be a cake walk. Why send all of us then and not just Leo or Vlad for that matter?"

Murdoc gets to his feet and looks toward Rufus and Reno, I see a boat ride in our future, er more like a canoe. Might have to tow Leo, hehe, strap him to a couple of barrels and drag him behind the boat. Murdoc shrugs again, "Looks like it all cool in the village. You think we should make our way over or wait for a wave from Rufus and Reno?" He asks Jason.
Travis Murdoc

OOC Comments
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Teres Barton
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:25 am

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Teres Barton »

"I say Wait for a signal. Negotiations can be tricky so keep an eye out. plus an isolated island like this might well be leery of heavily armed folk like you guys. With all the potential pirates and slavers that sail the high seas that may use this place as food and water stop." she offers, "I would if I were a pirate or slaver even consider this a good base. So far Rufus and padre have not radioed in 'Help! pirates/Slavers!!' yet so probably a good sign." she was holding the bow and started to look around the beach. things went up on the shore of lakes all the time. Usually dead fish. An ocean might yield more interesting items or creatures as she looks out to sea a certain song came to mind she said the lyrics aloud without thinking as she search about.
Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner Iron Maiden
OOC Comments
Lyrics:
Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner
"Hear the rime of the Ancient Mariner
See his eyes as he stops one of three
Mesmerizes one of the wedding guests
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the Sea
And the music plays on, and the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the Mariner tells his tale
Driven south to the land of the snow and ice
To a place where nobody's been
Through the snow fog flies the albatross
Hailed in God's name, hoping good luck it brings
And the ship sails on, back to the North
Through the fog and the ice and the albatross follows on
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
The mariner kills the bird of good omen
His shipmates cry against what he's done
But when the fog clears, they justify him
And make themselves a part of the crime
Sailing on and on and North across the sea
Sailing on and on and North 'til all is calm
The albatross begins with its vengeance
A terrible thirst, a curse has begun
His shipmates blame bad luck on the Mariner
About his neck, the dead bird is hung
And the curse goes on and on and on at sea
And the curse goes on and on for them and me
Day after day, day after day, we stuck nor breath nor motion
As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Water, water, everywhere and all the boards did shrink
Water, water, everywhere nor any drop to drink, no no
There calls the mariner, there comes a ship over the line
How can she sail with no wind in her sails and no tide
See, onward she comes
Onward she nears, out of the sun
See she has no crew
She has no life, wait but there's two
Death and she, Life in Death, they throw their dice for the crew
She wins the Mariner and he belongs to her now
Then crew one by one
They drop down dead, two hundred men
She, she, Life in Death
She lets him live, her chosen one
One after one by the star dogged moon
Too quick for groan or sigh
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang
And cursed me with his eye
Four times fifty living men and I heard nor sigh nor groan
With heavy thump, a lifeless lump
They dropped down one by one
The curse it lives on in their eyes
The Mariner he wished he'd die
Along with the sea creatures
But they lived on, so did he
And by the light of the moon
He prays for their beauty not doom
With heart he blesses them
God's creatures all of them too
Then the spell starts to break
The albatross falls from his neck
Sinks down like lead into the sea
Then down in falls comes the rain
Yeah (the yeah parts not sung and omitted in her version)
Yeah (the yeah parts not sung and omitted in her version)
Yeah (the yeah parts not sung and omitted in her version)
Hear the groans of the long dead seamen
See them stir and they start to rise
Bodies lifted by good spirits
None of them speak and they're lifeless in their eyes
And the revenge is still sought, penance starts again
Cast into a trance and the nightmare carries on
Now the curse is finally lifted
And the Mariner sights his home
Spirits go from the long dead bodies
Form their own light and the Mariner's left alone, yeah
And then a boat came sailing towards him
It was a joy he could not believe
The Pilot's boat, his son and the hermit
Penance of life will fall onto Him
And the ship it sinks like lead into the sea
And the hermit shrives the Mariner of his sins
The Mariner's bound to tell of his story
To tell his tale wherever he goes
To teach God's word by his own example
That we must love all things that God made
And the wedding guest's a sad and wiser man
And the tale goes on and on and on and on"
I've got a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff
And I want my life to smell like this
To find a place, an ancient race
The kind you'd like to gamble with


Image

Teres Barton
HP: 19/19
SDC: 33/33
ISP: 68/88
Equipment:
OOC Comments
Armor:
Wrangler Riding Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 70
Arms: 32 each
Legs: 45 each
Main Body: 85
Branaghan Overcoat
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 40
Arms: +8 with overcoat
Legs: +12 with overcoat
Main Body: +28 with overcoat
Weapons:
Tesla Bow (Patron Item)
Range: 1,500'
Damage: 4D6 per bolt of lightning + Tesla Effect
Rate of Fire: per the skill of the archer
Payload: Unlimited
Weight: 8 lbs.
Features: Does M.D. in a mega-damage environment
Tesla Effect: Stunned (lose initiative & 1 APM) for 1 melee round per each hit and failed to save vs. non-lethal toxins; effective even against environmental M.D.C. armor
Modifiers: +2 to strike; two-handed weapon; no minimum strength to use
Modified NA-LB1 Laser Bow
Range: 1000'
Damage: 3D6 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Single shots only
Payload: Effectively unlimited, but bow string needs replacement after 500 shots; 20 shots if E-Clip is used for emergencies (port included)
Weight: 4 lbs.
Features: M.D.C. material (150 M.D.C, can only be damaged if directly targeted); can fire normal arrows as well
IP-12 Ion Pistol
Range: 500'
Damage: 3D6 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Single shots only
Payload: 10 shots per E-Clip, 20 shots per LE-Clip
Arrows:
Leg Quivers:
Each holds 12 arrows
• Left Leg: 2 Explosive Arrows (1 Heavy and 1 light), 2 MD Arrows, 1 Smoke Arrow, 1 IR Flare Arrow, 4 Wooden Stake Arrows, 2 Neural Disrupter Arrows.
• Right Leg: 2 Explosive Arrows (1 Heavy and 1 light), 2 MD Arrows, 1 Smoke Arrow, 1 IR Flare Arrow, 4 Wooden Stake Arrows, 2 Neural Disrupter Arrows.
Bow quiver:
4 stun, 1 smoke, 1 Flare
(in case bow gets taken from her she keeps the lethal arrows on her to prevent them from being used against her)
Quiver x2:
each Holds 24 Arrows.
• 4 Smoke Arrows
• 4 IR Flare Arrows
• 12 MD Arrows
• 4 Neural Disrupter Arrows
User avatar
Leo
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:23 am

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Leo »

Perception: 37% 1d100: [61] = 61

JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18
JIC: 1d100: [50] = 50

Conditions: Babble Fish translator
Jason wrote:We'll split up your gear to share the load.
Leo smiles. "Yeah... lemme just get my share here..." Leo picks up all of Dhaltuun's gear, and slings it over his shoulder.

As they wait for Father Josiah and Rufus to go and rent a boat, Leo stays near Dhaltuun - ready to scoop him up and get him to safety if anything goes down.
Murdoc wrote:"Why send all of us then and not just Leo or Vlad for that matter?"
Leo chuckles. "Dunno if you heard, but I'm as harmless as a kitten" He cuts his eyes towards Jason. "... the size of a buick."

Leo watches the horizon, glances now and then toward the village, and tries to keep a wary eye on Dhaltuun. He's in really rough shape... If anything goes down... someone's gonna have to bodyguard him. He usually pulls his weight, and then some... so this must be killing him.
Leo, Titan Juicer
Theme song: Thunderstruck - AC/DC
OOC Comments

H.P.: 343/343
S.D.C.: 570/1070

Titan Plate armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 70/70
Right Arm: 50/50
Left Arm: 50/50
Right Leg: 60/60
left Leg: 60/60
Main Body: 79/195
User avatar
Rory
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:35 am

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Rory »

Perception: d100: 1d100: [60] = 60 / 21%
JiC d20 | d100: 1d20: 1d20: [5] = 5 | 1d100: 1d100: [98] = 98

Rory sees Dhaltuun's face, and realizes he's talking about cooking, but hasn't done anything to start cooking. She throws a glance at Teres as she goes over to him.

"Dhaltuun. Hey, focus, okay. Look at me."

He's obviously not quite with it. so she leads him over to sit down.

"Sit with me fer a bit. No cooking, not yet."

The two who'd gone to the village were still there, talking from what she could see.

"Can you tell me a bit more about Njord?"

She shrugs.

"Never been much for trustin' ta higher powers. Or lower powers, fer that matter. Still, seems like you've got a bit of assistance from Njord when you've needed it, an' I ain't one to scoff at them who have the ears of the powers."

She sits with him quietly for a bit, waiting to see how he'll react. Will he talk, focus, listen? The main thing she wants is to get him focused on what is happening right here, right now..

"Your head's been smacked up a bit, an' you ain't trackin' straight. Can Njord do anything ta help? I know I can't, not with the magic I have ta hand. I can, however, be here for ya."

She chuckles.

"Back where I trained, they said me bedside manner was a bit on the blunt side. What did they expect from a Nuhr dwarf, huh? Diplomacy? Hah! Took me six months ta even work out the *meaning* of the word! Still, I'm here for ya, an' I'll be here 'til yer noggin is back to factory standard settings. Until then, tell me about Njord.

Her voice turns wistful.

"I missed the sea so much, I replaced it with the air. Learned to fly. Hel, I'm a bone-fide pilot! But tell me about the sea."

Rory.
Status
-Current Hit Points: 42/42
-Current SDC: 18/25
-Current PPE: 131/151

Armor: High Magus armor
Helmet: 45
Arms: 15 each
Legs: 30 each
Main Body: 50

Weapons:
Slung over back: Nuhr rune musket rifle
Range: 1,600'
Damage: 6D6 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Single shots only
Payload: 50 blasts
Weight: 8.5 lbs.
Features: Costs 40 P.P.E. to reload
Modifiers: P.S. <26: -3 to strike

Utility belt: Vibro-axe
Range: Close Combat
Damage: 2D6 M.D.
Payload: 1 E-Clip will last approximately 1 hour
Weight: 4 lbs
OOC Comments
User avatar
Rufus
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:03 pm
Location: Rifts Merctown: The Templar
Contact:

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Rufus »

Perception: 1d100<83: [86] = 0
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [70] = 70

Conditions:
- PPE: 67/303 at the start of this post
- Ring of Invisibility: 2/3 charges remaining
- Sustain: 8 days remaining
Sustain allows the recipient of this enchantment to go for days without food, water, or breathable air! The magic keeps their energy level up and removes the need for any outside source of these things. In addition, the recipient only needs two hours sleep per night for the duration of the magic. The individual can survive in almost any environment. However, the character remains vulnerable to other external conditions such as heat, cold, and physical damage, and fatigues from exertion as normal.

- Translator Fish:
"This creature I whipped up in my lab will go in your ear and live there for a while… Estimated lifespan is six months… Once in there it will gently affix itself to your eardrum and collect the sounds coming into your ear, and with sympathetic psionics, it will translate the language into something you understand. On the flipside, it will attempt to translate your speech in your brain to one that it has received, though this is to a limited effect, so keep the speaking simple and you should be okay.”

- Fly as the Eagle: 25 minutes remaining.
The power of flight is bestowed upon the spell caster or person it is cast upon. It is especially effective outdoors, and in large, open areas. Maximum Speed: 50 mph (80 km). Bonuses: +1 to parry, +2 to dodge and +2 to damage on a diving attack. Bonuses apply only when in flight.

- Tongues: 19 minutes remaining.
The magic enables the character to perfectly understand and speak all spoken languages: 98% proficiency. An understanding of written languages is not provided by this magic. See the Eyes of Thoth.

- Sensory Results:
Scent (To track blood scent up to 1,000’ away): Animal blood, faint.
Scent (To recognize common/known smells): Humans, plants, Seafood, Normal Refuse.
See Magic Energy: A little bit.

Consumer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:53 amThis elicits a chuckle. ”Oh visitors are not as uncommon as you’d think. Our village is Pahanuma.” The eldest of the trio says.
Rufus chuckles and nods. "That's good to know! We were afraid our presence might scare people into thinking we meant harm, so Father Josiah and I were asked to come speak to you first." He clears his throat. "Would it be okay if we were to call them over so we could all talk together, or would you prefer they keep their distance?"

If the elder agrees, then he'll act like he's activating his comlink (even though it's already been active and transmitting the whole time). "Templar, this is Rufus. The village here is Pahanuma, and we've been given permission for everyone to visit. Please come in and introduce yourselves." He makes a point in speaking in the villagers' language -- the fishes should translate for the others, and the villagers won't think he's trying to hide anything by speaking in a language they don't understand. I'll probably get some strange looks for this, but you've got fishes in your ears for a reason.

If the elder DOES NOT agree, then Rufus will nod. "We understand, and will give your village a respectful berth. Do you know of any safe places we could set up camp for the night?"
Consumer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:53 amAgain Rufus and Father Reno get a confused look. ”I’ve never heard of such a place. I can tell you it’s not on this island or the Islands nearby.” The elder villager says. ”As for assistance, we can only offer so much, so I ask you to be more specific if you need anything else, save answers to questions.” The elder says. The two hunters with him look very relaxed now.
Rufus' brow furrows. "That's unfortunate... but in all honesty, our employer's information about this area is rather old. I wonder if the name has changed since then, or maybe the city has relocated. Anyway, since we're here perhaps you can tell us about your island here? How long has your village been here? How well do you get along with people on the other islands? Do you visit the other islands very often? Also, when we arrived we noticed another village further up the beach as well as some ruins up at the tip of the island that way..." he gestures to the north. "Is there anything you can tell us about those areas?"

He glances up at Father Josiah. "Anything else you think we should ask about?"
User avatar
Father Josiah Reno
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:28 pm

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Father Josiah Reno »

Perception: 42% 1d100: [49] = 49
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1
JIC%: 1d100: [93] = 93
Rufus wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:31 pmHe glances up at Father Josiah. "Anything else you think we should ask about?"
Whether or not the elder agrees to Rufus's request to bring the others in, he will ask, "Sir, who is in charge of your spiritual sovereignty in this place? I'd be interested in speaking to them," Huh, maybe it's not the best idea to start spreading The Word on my first mission here. "If there's time." he adds, more for Rufus's benefit really. But I will still pray for them, they may need it.

As the conversation continues, a familiar demon starts to grow within the preacher. A yearning that, despite Josiah knowing it is wrong, he cannot resist when it's siren call begins to fill his being. His brain knows he should fight it, but his body refuses to do so. It wants to give in regardless of what he knows is right and proper. At first he saw it as a challenge from God to his most worthy. A proof of faith that was to be overcome. But as of late, he's not sure if it is God or the Devil himself who challenges him, and though he knows he should be pushing back, he just doesn't have the strength.

"Pardon me sir, but is there any alcohol in your village? I'm willing to pay..."
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1660
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Consumer »

Road to Redemption: A play in three parts, part two, Act One.
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Enganno Island, Indian Ocean
Date: April 18, 111 PA, 4:50 PM (5 minutes have passed)
Weather: High 93°, Low 75°; Clear
Map
Mission Notes
Jason Long: No skills used.
Leo Milton: No skills used.
Rufus: No skills used.
Dhaltuun Onyxforge: No skills used.
Travis Murdoc: No skills used.
Teres Barton: No skills used.
Rory: No skills used.
Father Josiah Reno: No skills used.


With the Villagers
Rufus and Father Reno
Rufus wrote:"That's good to know! We were afraid our presence might scare people into thinking we meant harm, so Father Josiah and I were asked to come speak to you first... Would it be okay if we were to call them over so we could all talk together, or would you prefer they keep their distance?"
The older man nods. ”First meetings can always go the wrong way, especially with different cultures. To answer your question, yes you may call your companions. I think we can move this to a more comfortable setting.” The Elder says. Almost immediately after that, the two hunters nod and start walking back into the village.
Rufus wrote:"Templar, this is Rufus. The village here is Pahanuma, and we've been given permission for everyone to visit. Please come in and introduce yourselves."
Father Josiah Reno wrote:"Sir, who is in charge of your spiritual sovereignty in this place? I'd be interested in speaking to them,.. If there's time."
The elder looks a bit confused at the question. ”I’m not sure what your talking about?” The elder says.
Father Josiah Reno wrote:"Pardon me sir, but is there any alcohol in your village? I'm willing to pay..."
The elder purses his lips in a knowing way. ”I think we have something.” He says as he begins to lead the group into the village.


In the Jungle
Jason, Leo, Murdoc, Rory, Dhaltuun, Teres, Jessie

Jason seems quiet as the “negotiations” go on. Dhaltuun stumbles about and acts like he’s cooking, even though he has no fire or food to do such. Leo helps Dhaltuun out by grabbing his pack and hoisting it over his shoulder. While reminding Jason that he’s a gentle giant who couldn’t possibly be construed as dangerous. Murdoc converses with Teres, who seems intent on looking over the cliff edge for some manner of beach, which there is none, specifically for dead animals that have washed up, and again comes up with nothing. Teres goes into what can only be described as an interesting rendition of a song, but is not particularly skilled in the singing art either. Rory decides to play nursemaid and gets Dhaltuun to sit down, and stop wobbling about, even going so far as to try and get him to answer some questions about how he’s feeling. Jessie for her part watches the whole thing with a sideways glance.

Rufus’ call comes over the radio and the group moves to join Rufus and Father Reno.

In the Villagers
Everyone

The elder doesn’t seem to be shocked at the motley assortment that makes up the Templar, he does look at Leo and seems to adjust his plan to where he was going to have them go. ”Your friend is a giant, we’ll sit in the common area to accommodate him.” The elder says in a cheerful voice as he leads the group across the wooden walkways that divide up the village. The Templar are on full view for the village and there seems to be a mix of awe and confusion among the villagers.

The Elder brings the group to a large canopied area that could easily hold fifty or more people in it. The Elder motions for the group to get comfortable on the assortment of mats and stools around the area as he quietly talks to another villager for a moment. Once he’s done the villager walks off, and the elder takes a seat near the Templar. ”So what can we do to help?” The Elder says.

GM Notes: Jason Long did not post (1 week)

Jason Long:
Leo Milton: Sustain 8/8 days.
Rufus: P.P.E.: 91/303; Ring of Invisibility (2 of 3 charges remaining/24hr), -8 Meal Bars, Sustain 8/8 days.
Dhaltuun Onyxforge: 128/163 P.P.E.; Armor (Main Body): -4 M.D.C., Punch Drunk: -2 to all combat rolls, and -10% to all skills, Sustain 8/8 days.
Jessie the Valkyrie: Sustain 8/8 days.
Rory: S.D.C.: 18/25, P.P.E.: 141/151; Sustain 8/8 days.
Travis Murdoc: Sustain 8/8 days.
Teres Barton: I.S.P.: 69/88, Sustain 8/8 days.
Father Josiah Reno: Sustain 8/8 days.


What are your intentions?
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Teres Barton
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:25 am

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Teres Barton »

At the cliff':
"EH....nothing worth climbing down there for. Would have been nice to see a whale or other cool sea creature up close." she said with a shrug standing
after moving away from the cliff. She was slightly sad at that. not many whales in Lonestar to look at up close. She did see and get a good look at many rodents and other land animals. but sea mammals were a thing she did not see much of. That series of videos GAW showed on sharks for naval salvage ops was educational and entertaining. the part about Dolphins and Killer whales was her favorite part. they were mammals living in water...this puzzled her. would they have not grown legs and move on to land like the rest of their fellow air-breathers? As she ponders the water vs land idea the radio flared to life.

"Templar, this is Rufus. The village here is Pahanuma, and we've been given permission for everyone to visit. Please come in and introduce yourselves."

"On my way..." she replies, gathering her stuff and making for the village. "Once at the village I will check Dhal out, Rory. In the mean time keep him talking and focused." the Psi-Druid smiled, "My dwarven is non-existent.." turning to Leo, Murdoc and the rest. "Coming along gentlemen?" she calls starting toward the village.

"So boss, any protocols or such I need to know? GAW had two hand books on diplomacy and customer service speak.." she asks the rest. in most units they had some sort of protocol on who spoke and where. it was mostly PR and damage control for mercs 101. In GAW it was a thing and you could get pay cuts for certain breaches.

In the village:
Consumer wrote:”Your friend is a giant, we’ll sit in the common area to accommodate him.”
"Ya should the cost of shoes and pants when he shops." she thinks with a smirk
”So what can we do to help?”


She remained quiet until she was sure it safe to speak up.
I've got a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff
And I want my life to smell like this
To find a place, an ancient race
The kind you'd like to gamble with


Image

Teres Barton
HP: 19/19
SDC: 33/33
ISP: 68/88
Equipment:
OOC Comments
Armor:
Wrangler Riding Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 70
Arms: 32 each
Legs: 45 each
Main Body: 85
Branaghan Overcoat
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 40
Arms: +8 with overcoat
Legs: +12 with overcoat
Main Body: +28 with overcoat
Weapons:
Tesla Bow (Patron Item)
Range: 1,500'
Damage: 4D6 per bolt of lightning + Tesla Effect
Rate of Fire: per the skill of the archer
Payload: Unlimited
Weight: 8 lbs.
Features: Does M.D. in a mega-damage environment
Tesla Effect: Stunned (lose initiative & 1 APM) for 1 melee round per each hit and failed to save vs. non-lethal toxins; effective even against environmental M.D.C. armor
Modifiers: +2 to strike; two-handed weapon; no minimum strength to use
Modified NA-LB1 Laser Bow
Range: 1000'
Damage: 3D6 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Single shots only
Payload: Effectively unlimited, but bow string needs replacement after 500 shots; 20 shots if E-Clip is used for emergencies (port included)
Weight: 4 lbs.
Features: M.D.C. material (150 M.D.C, can only be damaged if directly targeted); can fire normal arrows as well
IP-12 Ion Pistol
Range: 500'
Damage: 3D6 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Single shots only
Payload: 10 shots per E-Clip, 20 shots per LE-Clip
Arrows:
Leg Quivers:
Each holds 12 arrows
• Left Leg: 2 Explosive Arrows (1 Heavy and 1 light), 2 MD Arrows, 1 Smoke Arrow, 1 IR Flare Arrow, 4 Wooden Stake Arrows, 2 Neural Disrupter Arrows.
• Right Leg: 2 Explosive Arrows (1 Heavy and 1 light), 2 MD Arrows, 1 Smoke Arrow, 1 IR Flare Arrow, 4 Wooden Stake Arrows, 2 Neural Disrupter Arrows.
Bow quiver:
4 stun, 1 smoke, 1 Flare
(in case bow gets taken from her she keeps the lethal arrows on her to prevent them from being used against her)
Quiver x2:
each Holds 24 Arrows.
• 4 Smoke Arrows
• 4 IR Flare Arrows
• 12 MD Arrows
• 4 Neural Disrupter Arrows
User avatar
Murdoc
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 am
Location: Rifts: Templar (PC)

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Murdoc »

Percep 83%: 1d100: [73] = 73
JIC: 1d20: [3] = 3 1d100: [100] = 100

Conditions:
Tiny symbiotic fish that translates language
  • Effect: Automatically translates any language to one the host understands.
  • Will attempt to translate responses at 50% chance.
  • Lifespan: 6 months
  • Notes: Created by a Genesplicer, no side effects



Murdoc nods to Teres as she says that they should wait for the all clear. Then, when the call comes in, he stands and checks his gear before walking into the village. Take it slow and steady. There's no sense in charging into the village at 180 mph. Give these guys a chance to get a look at you.

Entering the village, Murdoc makes a point of looking around. He flicks on his thermo vision to try and get an idea of the total number of people in the village, both visible and any that may be inside any of the structures.

Murdoc stays quiet as they are led to the common area. Taking a seat on one of the stools and says, "Greetings. I am called Murdoc. Do you travel to many of the other islands around here? Is there anything we should be wary of as we travel about?" He raises a questioning eyebrow as he stops at just the two questions.
Travis Murdoc

OOC Comments
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Dhaltuun Onyxforge
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:10 am
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Re: Road to Redemption; A play in three parts (part three)

Post by Dhaltuun Onyxforge »

Perception: [roll]1d100[/roll]/34%
Just in Case: [roll]1d20[/roll]; [roll]1d100[/roll]
Conditions:
Similar to the Ley Line Walker' s ability, the Shifter can feel the surge of energy whenever a Rift is within 50 miles +20 miles per additional level of experience. He can also tell when a new Rift appears along a ley line he is standing on regardless of the distance. When this happens, a Shifter instantly knows the general direction the Rift is located and whether it is big or small. The Shifter is also able to sense other types of dimensional disturbances such as Teleports and dimensional anomalies that occur within his sensing range. The latter is limited to one half the Shifter's usual range.
Note: This sensing ability specifically relates to dimensional portals/Rifts and not nexus points and ley lines.


PPE: 128 at end of post / 143

Conditions:
128/163 P.P.E.,
Armor (Main Body): -4 M.D.C.,
Punch Drunk: -2 to all combat rolls, and -10% to all skills.


The Mead of the Poets
Rare Enchanted Beverage
Magic Features
Draught of the gods (Once drunk, owner gains the following skills at first level proficiency.
Sing (Professional)
Play Musical Instrument: Stringed (Professional)
Lore: Religion)

Note: Once drunk effects are permanent, and the item is exhausted.
Curse: None.
History: Awarded by Brom Ironsides for helping stop the Nightwraith. A small bottle of amber liquid dedicated to the god Kvasir, when imbibed one gains a portion of the bards grace.

Skills:


Post -
Dhaltuun stops whatever he is doing and looks towards Rory. ”Sorry. What? Oh yeah.” he squints a little then closesand opens his left eye, gives his head a shake, then tries again with his right eye. ’I am trying to focus but too many colors and tracers.”


He's obviously not quite with it. so she leads him over to sit down.

"Sit with me fer a bit. No cooking, not yet."

He allows himself to be lead away. ”I understand. Cooking calms me, is all.” as he walks he notices her looking toward the village. ” Is everything okay? Seems fine to me.” He gets a small smile as a thought forms. ”Marcella, Go be my eyes in the village. Find somewhere and watch over our furry friend. I need to recover from my stupidity.”

”Rory” wrote:"Can you tell me a bit more about Njord?"

She shrugs.

"Never been much for trustin' ta higher powers. Or lower powers, fer that matter. Still, seems like you've got a bit of assistance from Njord when you've needed it, an' I ain't one to scoff at them who have the ears of the powers."



Dhaltuun stops moving and just sits quietly. ’Wow!! She asked a BIG question. I know i am under orders from Njord to find converts but what do i say? It is a feeling, nothing more.” He slowly turns a looks into her face and eyes, in respect, as she finishes speaking.

”Rory” wrote:She sits with him quietly for a bit, waiting to see how he'll react. Will he talk, focus, listen? The main thing she wants is to get him focused on what is happening right here, right now..

"Your head's been smacked up a bit, an' you ain't trackin' straight. Can Njord do anything ta help? I know I can't, not with the magic I have ta hand. I can, however, be here for ya."

She chuckles.

"Back where I trained, they said me bedside manner was a bit on the blunt side. What did they expect from a Nuhr dwarf, huh? Diplomacy? Hah! Took me six months ta even work out the *meaning* of the word! Still, I'm here for ya, an' I'll be here 'til yer noggin is back to factory standard settings. Until then, tell me about Njord.
Letting out a small chuckle, Dhal holds up his hands in a surrender motion. ”Slow down. I wil answer and say what i can, but it is hard for me to find words.” He lowers his hands and gathers his breath and thoughts. As he sits, he remembers the small bottle he got. ”Hmmm… Maybe it would help. May let me know more than i do now. Gonna try!!” Dhaltuun fishes out the vial and with a quick prayer to Njord, he drinks it down. ((The Mead of the Poets))
Dhaltuun Onyxforge
http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/vi ... 80&t=16028
OOC Comments
S.D.C.: 64/64
Hit Points: 49/49
P.P.E.: 115/115

Armor Worn: Mage armor
Weapon(s) Carried and Locations: WI-SR15 Sniper Rifle with Kisentite bayonet (slung over left shoulder), NEMA Automag (AMT) Pistol (on CAF Elite Corps Load-Bearing Chest Rig), Kisentite Cutlass with silvered basket (strapped to left hip in a scabbard), Nuhr Rune Grappling Hook & Line (Tied to right hip), BigBore "Buccaneer" Breech-Lock Pistol (L-R)/TW Firebolt Pistol (R-L)(on old style baldric)

Current Conditions:


Saving Throws, Bonuses, and other handy information
Coma/Death: +14%
Magic (varies): +4
Lethal Poison (14+): +4
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4
Insanity (12+): --
Psionic (15+): --
Possession: +2
Horror Factor: +11

Nightvision 300 feet
Sharp vision (doesn’t deteriorate with time)
Augmented P.S.
Superior endurance (fatigues at 1/4 normal rate)
Max. Encumbrance: 108 lbs
Max. Carrying Weight: 460 lbs
Max. Lifting Weight: 920 lbs
Max. Jumping Ability: Leap 5' long X 4' ft high
Swimming: can swim 69 yards/meters per round for 88 rounds

Special Abilities
Dimensional Rift Home
  • Can always find his way home from another dimension.
    Can always dimensional teleport home at the cost of a paltry 75 P.P.E.
    Only applies to himself and his familiar as well as gear carried and not anybody else (a full rift or dimensional portal is necessary to take others with him).
    Uses 1 melee action
    Rifting on same world - 1/2 ppe of dimension rift home
    Limit - must have visited location before or use communication rift
    Will appear on nexus near desired location (or stone pyramid)
    Can even use on ley line to move along it or jump to a nearby ley line
Sense Rifts
  • Range - within 90 miles +20 miles per level
    Will detect new rift if it opens along the line I am on, regardless of distance (will know where rift is as well as size)
    Can detect teleports and other dimension disturbances at 45 miles +10 miles per level
    He will also instantly know what general direction the rift is located and whether the rift is big or small.
    Note: This sensing ability specifically relates to dimensional portals/rifts and not ley nexuses and ley lines.
Dimension Sense - 49% (+5%)
  • Concentrate for 1d6+2 mins to know: type of dimension, if it supports human life, its magic Level, how it was created, if it will close soon, its frequency of opening, any dimensional monsters nearby or in portal (-10% skill), plus unusual characteristics, just by reading portal or meditating after stepping thru
    See O.C.C. description for further details
Dimensional Travel
[/list]Cost: 125 P.P.E. for familiar and caster / +25 P.P.E. per person / remains open for 1 min
When targeting a random dimension - can open anywhere / drawn to locations rich in P.P.E.
When targeting home dimension - 100% random location appearance
When targeting dimensions visited - will appear in random, but hospitable location
Can use Re-Open Gateway or Dimensional portal at 1/2 P.P.E. in ritual / takes 1d6x10+15 min / open for 1 min per level (4th lvl = 4 mins), close it at will, manipulate size at will (max 10 ft tall x 10 ft wide per level)(4th Lvl = 40 ft tall x 40 ft wide)[/list]

Communication Rift
  • P.P.E.: on or within 1/2 mile of nexus - 50 P.P.E. / on or within 1/2 mile of ley line - 100 P.P.E. / anywhere else away from ley line - 200 P.P.E.
    Duration: 1 min per level (4th = 4 mins)
    Success ratio 34% +5% if done as ritual gives +20% success
    Time to open: 1d4 rds / as ritual: takes 1d6x10+15 min
    If fail but within 20% will contact correct location but not necessarily the right target
    Send familiar - must return in time or trapped until a portal can be opened (x1 per 24 hrs)
Familiar Link
  • Linked to – Marcella the Osprey (monsters and animals pg 158-159)
    Mentally and physically linked with familiar
    Familiar is linked to the shifter and obeys his every command, verbal and mental.
    If the familiar is killed, the shifter will permanently lose 10 hit points; see description for full consequences.
Summoning
  • Battle of wills - roll above my MA +ME bonus; 3 out of 5x (if fail is subservient)
    If save - roll init....if I win close rift / if fail creature appears and might attack
    If beat creature - use pact
    If lose to creature - the shifter might be attacked or the being escapes
    Max # of Minions: 2 lesser (4 sub demons) - sub demons or imp-like minor being, poltergeists or haunting entity = 1 lesser/2 lesser beings = 1 greater
Post Reply

Return to “Templar Adventure Forum”