[VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

The Anvil, Corkscrew, and Thundercloud galaxies.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: Day 8, 10 hours
Conditions:
  • On board the ODT and Kibiko inside a deep space Repression Zone. Repairs underway.
  • ODT 1/2 (FTL & STL) engine working perfectly. Thanks to Bert's EP crit successes and the teams co-operation.
  • Kibiko 1/3 Engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. Thanks to Bert's EP crit successes and the teams co-operation.

MOD, much to eir own surprise feels saddened by Nev's passing, so much so they feel compelled to change form to process the grief. Personning the sensors and comms there isn't really anything to distract their self from eir sadness. The only things on the sensors are the Kibiko's explosively detached shuttle bay doors and assorted drone wreckage slowly drifting further and further away from the ships. Ey assume that Tillin's comms sats are still out there somewhere but they have gone dark. The comms are effectively silent.

The Doctor busies himself with his investigations into the various body parts of Tillin and his entourage. The rest of the crew leaves him to it. They do so not out of respect for the dead but because the guy is just such a creep about it. If they didn't pick up on the Doctor's odd looks, inappropriate comments and general sinister, macabre and ghoulish behavior, after a week of seeing him rummage around the ship with various sentient being carcass and viscera they certainly have picked up on it now. It comes as no surprise that the crew died of various injuries consistent with close range explosively propelled shrapnel and concussive force. Tillin's leg doesn't really provide any real insight either. Between a lack of proper lab facilities and the tender attention of Zathark's teeth, all he can tell for almost certain is that the leg is the correct species, probably.

Zathark avoids as much manual work as possible, but is roped into various tasks to help the rest of the crew. However what he does willing do is some mental work. Which makes him feel like a bit of a nerd. He's seen Starfinder Jones do stuff like this so it can't be too nerdy, can it? He concludes the following:
  • He has no idea if Tillin had any enemies. Tillin was the golden boy of NE and everyone loved him. The sun really did shine out of his arse.
  • The chances of Nev, Tillin or Tillin's enemies even knowing each other even existed are practically zero. Well, maybe Nev saw Tillin on a trid once or twice, but that'll be about it.
  • Given the above there is only one conceivable, and easily provable, link between Nev, Tillin or anyone in between. Nev once possibly had a girlfriend called Betty. Betty had a cat called Dodge. Starfinder Jones had also had a cat called Dodge! Starfinder Jones, for a while, had the clap. Betty also probably gave Nev the clap. Therefore Betty's Dodge and Starfinder Jone's Dodge WERE THE SAME CAT! Dodge had a collar, on the collar was a shooting star. Tillin was often described as not only a Star with NE, but as NE's very own Shooting Star! Clearly DODGE is a psychic super-cat and psychically influnced Nev and Tillin, through their psychically induced sexually transmistted infections to be in the same place at the same time for them both to die togther! Just like in Romulet and Julio the famous Psi-Goblin love-murder-lullaby. Simple really.
Feeling that he is the very god incarnate of investigative genius Zathark cracks the password on Tillin's data pad. It was the same as the lipstick code on the airlock bulkhead door from when the VR first entered the ship. Before he can find the info needed to prove his, obviously correct, theory he recieves an incoming call (MOD can listen in on and react to this as it's routed through the ship comms system).

"Tillin! It's about time you picked up your damn comms! You bloody bent spoon! We had a deal, a deal with an agreed timeframe! I must insist on asking, where is my Duke's Jouster?!? The Field of the Cloth of Gold is coming up soon and we need that order here yesterday!" The video link with the call kicks in. On the other end is the slim faceplate of a cyborg wearing make-up and a white powdered wig. "Oh, You're not Tillin put him on you, you ugly little cretin.... Oh my, my dear are the rumors true? Is Tillin dead or missing? No matter, ah I mean to say: More importantly, where is our damned Jouster?!? What will the Duke say? blast! damn it! blast!" The cybernetics on this guy must be top notch because they modulate the rising sense of panic in his voice really well. The Cyborg goes quiet for a little while. "That jouster has been paid fully for! We simply must have it!" The Cyborg suddenly looks to one side and bows and slides smoothly out of view. A much larger, much more menacing heavy combat borg, also with make-up and an an impressive powdered wig fills the screen. "You heard my major-domo. I need that Jouster. Bring it to me now. If I have to send someone to come get it... I. Will. Not. Be. Happy." The Cyber Retros give the VR a chance to respond, then the call ends. A short while after MOD notes that the Jouster's smart, self-tracking crate uses the ships comms receive a rapid burst packet and then instantly sends out a small data packet response. Someone should really turn off that bluetooth connection.

The data pad is full of NE promotional material with nothing else of interest to Zathark's investigations. Interestingly, there is no info in the log of mails, messages or calls. Someone must have set that to self deleting.

Accessing the ships computers and after zoning out pleasantly the to that odd green-code-rain for a second or two Goose finds the following info regarding the ship's recent travels.

Kibiko's ship logbook
Previously visited:
  • NE 759-3248 (NE Space station)
  • Karmilas III
  • NE 135-3088(NE Space Media Facility)
  • NE 964-7713(NE Mining facility)
  • Gamluna Prime
  • NE 854-1001 (NE Transport Hub)
  • NE 759-3248 (NE Space station)
  • Rynrn
  • NE 112-8269 (NE Manufactory)
  • next destination:
  • Goljun IV, Delivery to Retro-Duke Goljun + On location Trid filming for 'Tillin's big day out at The Field of the Cloth of Gold!' feature film.
Goose doesn't learn a whole lot in Tillin's cabin, which is where the office would normally be on a standard Kibiko. For all his object reads he can't really tell much about Tillin and his entourage. Part of it could be becasue their dead. Part of it could be his own unease at the situation, or his fatigue from working hard with the others to repair the ship and that he'd rather be cuddled up to Wolfers in a nice cosy access crawl space. He does get a solid impression from a bit of the destroyed PA. The guy was smart, ambitious, liked and knew success - addicted to it maybe - and is currently dead.

Bhap spends his time outside the ship following instructions while working on the engines. Inside, during his down time, he fondles the NE-200 machine gun. It's a lovely piece of kit. He stays on the Kibiko with Bert.

After the NE announcement of just how screwed the Void Reavers are Bert steps up, gives some orders and gets the crew moving. He runs the checks before trying to make the jump to FTL. MOD checks the star charts as per Bert's request. The closest Harigal controlled systems are called Theora (950 LY away) and The Saragasso (426 LY away). The Bushi Federation systems on the other hand, are far far away in The Thundercloud. When Dr. White asks about the distance to the Hyaist system MOD tells him that it is 184 LY away.

Galen, piloting the OTD, and Bert in the Kibiko move out and soon find that their FTL engines seem to be working through the pre-jump process just fine. The Repression Zone must have receded during the time spent repairing the ships. Mere minutes before they jump into Hyperspace MOD gets a dreading on the edge of the sensors. Something is racing through the Repression Zone right towards them. Not that it matters much as both VR ships blink out of real space and, for now, are safe from danger.

GM Notes
By the end of the post both ships are in hyperspace moving towards your desired destination. Both ships can make 1.5 LY per hour.

Where do you want to go?
Theora (Harigal controlled) is 1d1000: [950] = 950 LY away roughly towards the galactic core
The Saragasso (Harigal controlled) is 1d1000: [426] = 426 LY away roughly towards the galactic core
Hyaist system (independent) is 2d100: [87, 97] = 184 LY away roughly away from the galactic core deeper into the local cluster
Bushi / Oni controlled space is in The Thundercloud and too far away to be a realistic destination.

Which ship is your character on?
Has the division of the group loot from the Kibiko been completed amongst yourselves?
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by MOD »

Perception (21%) 1d100<21: [92] = 0
JiC 1d20: [1] = 1 / 1d100: [45] = 45

Active Effects
Radio: Basic (72%) 1d100<72: [66*] = 1 - Jump into the radio conversation between Zathark and cyborg in a wig
Electronic Countermeasures (42%) 1d100<47: [20*] = 1 - Transfer conversation to MOD's console
Sensory Equipment (42%) 1d100<42: [54] = 0 - Scan approaching ship before jumping out to light speed

The waif is sitting at the sensors console on the ODT when ey catch the a radio signal going towards the ship. Zathark is using Kadmire's datapad and made contact with someone. Intrigued, ey eavesdrop on the conversation and are more excited at the sound of the Field of the Cloth of Gold, it sounds like the type of place where incredibly powerful people spend obscene amounts of credits to do outlandishly stupid and/or dangerous things. When the video kicks in, MOD realizes that Zathark is the last person that should be having this conversation and hijacks the radio transmission.
Cyborg in a wig wrote:"Oh, You're not Tillin put him on you, you ugly little cretin..."
The monitor flickers, and the image of a psi-goblin is replaced by a young blonde woman with doe brown eyes, a beauty mark like a tear floats just off the left one, and long lashes that bat innocently. "Hell-oh. I am, how-you-say, sore-ee for our azzizztant. So rued of heem to answer. I ahm le Mademoiselle Orsey Ducorp, how may I help vouz?"
Cyborg in a wig wrote:"Oh my, my dear are the rumors true? Is Tillin dead or missing? No matter, ah I mean to say: More importantly, where is our damned Jouster?!? What will the Duke say? blast! damn it! blast!"
"It is whore-ible. We are all very le triste. But I want vouz to know that we are committed to full feeling Monsieur Cad-meer's orders as promptly as puss-ee-bell."
Cyborg in a wig wrote:"That jouster has been paid fully for! We simply must have it!"
"Wee-wee. Shall coordinate shipment after repairs. Big big explosion, we are assessing the damages right now. Can you please send the specifications on your shipment to ensure maximum quality?" The waif bats eir eyelashes again. Corporeals are more malleable when one blinks rapidly, fux if I know why. However, the eyelashes do not work when the next cyborg appears on camera.
The Duke wrote:"You heard my major-domo. I need that Jouster. Bring it to me now. If I have to send someone to come get it... I. Will. Not. Be. Happy"
"Very well Monsieur Duke. I will speak with our new transit team and we shall have an updated ETA for vous shortly. Bon soir!"

After closing the radio, MOD returns back to plotting the ship's route out to space stretch of space. After a few calculations, there are several different destinations the team can choose from. The first jump is easy enough, and MOD plugs in the coordinates for when the Reavers leave the repression zone. As they close in on that distance, MOD spots something on the sensors. Ey do a quick scan as the ship enters light speed to identify the ship and calculate its speed. If it is the bounty hunters, MOD wants to know how long it would take them to catch up.

MOD sends the coordinates over to the Kibiko and then turns on the team comms, "I found a couple of destinations in Hartigal space that should work for us. The Saragasso is less than a month away. That transit time should give us some distance from the bounty hunters to plan our next move. Thoughts?"
Last edited by MOD on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
Zathark
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Zathark »

Perception: 26% 1d100: [50] = 50

JIC 1d20: [10] = 10
JIC 1d100: [21] = 21

Zathark holes up in Tillin's stateroom, a bunch of handwritten notes plastered to the bulkheads with his saliva, lines drawn in chalk from one note to the next. He stands and stares, pondering. He sits on Tillin's chair, and slowly spins, pondering. He stands on his head and stares, pondering.

As a note, 'pondering' is not something that comes naturally to goblin-kind, and Psi-goblins are no exception. He can be forgiven for thinking that thoughts might come more easily if your head is in a different position.

So... Tillin really did seem to have sunshine comin' out his ass. Ain't no one of note didn't like the guy, right? WRONG! That CAN'T be right! Someone somewhere had a bug up their ass about this guy, 'cause NO ONE is that shiny! Now, mebbe Nev didn't know Tillin or nothin', but that don't mean Nev wasn't some kinda patsy!"

In a fugue, the arguably sentient sack of rabid rats begins to draw connection upon connection, some where none exist, to try to explain how Nev could've been duped.

An' if DODGE had the clap, and... wait... was Betty some kinda perv? Into cats? How else could she give Nev Starfinder Jones' STD? But... then... that'd mean DODGE was a perv, too... an' ... No... that Starfinder Jones... F^@%#d his cat?

All thought ceases. The goblin scrunches his face up in a combination of confusion, dismay, and disbelief.

He reaches down, scribbles something on a note, spits on it, and slaps it on the bulkhead, where it adheres. it reads:
"FIND DODGE"
An' when I find that furry little morsel... I'mma EAT him! No one does Starfinder Jones dirty like that!

Suddenly, a missive comes on the comms, over Tillin's computer.
posh robot guy wrote:"Tillin! It's about time you picked up your damn comms! You bloody bent spoon! We had a deal, a deal with an agreed timeframe! I must insist on asking, where is my Duke's Jouster?!? The Field of the Cloth of Gold is coming up soon and we need that order here yesterday! Oh, You're not Tillin put him on you, you ugly little cretin.."

"Hey, nice wig you overstuffed tin pansy, I'mma strip you down 'til I find the meat an' gnaw on yer innards..."

Of course, all that comes through is "nice wig" before his screen unceremoniously goes dark.

"What th'?"

He looks at the console and gives it a tentative smack.

"Come back! I weren't done with you, ya galvanized sack o' crap! I got a brand-new can opener for ya! I'm gonna poke open a bunch o' new holes in yer shell and use 'em for unwholesome purposes!"

Angered that his attempts to retrieve comms was in vain (he was too angry to remember that fisticuffs and yelling do not generally obtain positive results from machinery), Zathark stomps out of Tillin's quarters and off to the galley. He's gotta anger-eat, and he's all out of Tillin's Leg.

Over the next few days of travel, the Psi-Goblin imagines taking his revenge on the Duke's majordomo, and, ultimately, stealing his wig. He pictures himself in the wig, like some fancypants hoi polloi.

Yeah... I'd wear the SHIT outta that wig. That'd be me in fine form! I... well... guys like me don't get to wear no fancy wigs. It's always fancy little men with long names. Maybe I could have a long name too... like... uhh... Slurm... Slurrrrrm. No... longer. Like... Zibbindorf. Gumblybelch. Fargle...gletch. Nah... needs more class. Like... uh... Garba... gryl? Garbagryl! Garbagryl Sssss... Ssss.... SLAM. Slamgonka. Yeah! I'd be Garbagryl Slamgonka... an' I'd be like some fancy-ass ambassador or somethin'! Ambassador plenipotentiary, even! Of... of... GOOD TIMES.

This line of thinking, I should remind you, began with him peeling and eating a cyborg, and stealing his wig, and ends up with Zathark in a sharp little brown pinstripe suit and wig, and parading around in a false identity which would fool exactly zero sentient beings, or nonsentient beings with a sense of smell.

Zathark positions himself on Tillin's (former) ship, making himself as comfortable as possible in Tillin's luxuriously-appointed ship.

Zathark has already claimed what gear he is going to claim.

Once Zathark hears about the possible destinations, he plumbs the shallows of his memory to remember what he might of the three, and their relative pros and cons

Lore: Galactic Aliens 35% 1d100: [46] = 46 (Hyaist - FAIL)
Intelligence 50% 1d100: [10] = 10 (Hyaist assets and drawbacks - SUCCESS)
Streetwise 45% 1d100: [1] = 1 (Hyaist groups that might be threats or allies - CRIT. SUCCESS)
Lore: Galactic Aliens 35% 1d100: [33] = 33 (Theora - SUCCESS)
Intelligence 50% 1d100: [66] = 66 (Theora assets and drawbacks - FAIL)
Streetwise 45% 1d100: [72] = 72 (Theora groups that might be threats or allies - FAIL)
Lore: Galactic Aliens 35% 1d100: [19] = 19 (Saragasso - SUCCESS)
Intelligence 50% 1d100: [5] = 5 (Saragasso assets and drawbacks - CRIT. SUCCESS)
Streetwise 45% 1d100: [88] = 88 (Saragasso groups that might be threats or allies - FAIL)
Last edited by Zathark on Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 55/55
ISP: 46/46
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 90/90 MDC
User avatar
Goose Fenrir
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 am

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Goose Fenrir »

Perception (30%) vs: 1d100: [57] = 57
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 and 1d100: [51] = 51
(Fenrir and Loki)

Goose drops the piece of armor he was holding last and frowns, Well, that doesn't tell me much either. "Why do you even care if it was Tillin or not?, Fenrir asks trying to understand why goose would waste time and energy looking at all the items he found. Well. I don't know. It just seemed all so, staged. Maybe. But, the feeling I get. It could have been him in there. Or, someone like him. That's close enough right? An audible sigh in the wolfen's mind is heard, "whatever! I don't even care. So what? What if it wasn't him. Doesn't help us any.

A cackle interrupts the conversation followed by, Fenrir is right! Who cares. Put your spacer suit on and slowly drain the life support so the others don't know it's happening. Then we can have some real fun.

Goose resigns from the mental discussion and keys up the team radio, "I'll be in the main control room. Bridge? Yeah. I'm gonna try to figure out what the pretty green rain in the computer is. If anyone needs me, just give a shout. Wolfers will be with me."

Goose heads to wherever the main computer is located. Taking a seat close by he makes a mental connection and starts the long task of trying to figure out what the rain code is. He looks at the main operating system to see if there are any viruses or malware as well. While he is in the computer he take the time to remove any access previous crew members or Naruni associates might have had. He also search for any links our communication still transmitting through computer direction that isn't associated with the VR. Goose will work continuously stopping only to eat and sleep. Wolfers will be with him the whole

While working on the computer Goose talks to wolfers, "Do you think the crew likes me? they don't talk to me me much." He pauses as if listening, "Yeah! Just super busy, right? You know, with all the pirating and all." A smile cracks on the wolfen's face, "Well I feel the same about you Mr. Wolfers! You're the best!" Goose take the opportunity to pick up his stuffed wolf and give it a long loving hug. He sets the stuffy next to him and says, "Back to work now Mr. Wolfers. We need to see what's wrong with this computer."

*Goose is on Tillin's ship
**Goose didn't take any loot.

Skills

Telemechanics (0) 88% - Connect to main computer, would this change the skill percentage?

Computer Hacking 48% vs 1d100: [22] = 22 - Identify the green code.
Computer Programming 53% vs 1d100: [10] = 10 - Identify the green code.
Computer Operation 73% vs 1d100: [97] = 97 - Identify the green code.

Computer Hacking 48% vs 1d100: [67] = 67 - Look for viruses/malware and fix it.
Computer Programming 53% vs 1d100: [20] = 20 - Look for viruses/malware and fix it.
Computer Operation 73% vs 1d100: [95] = 95 - Look for viruses/malware and fix it.

Computer Hacking 48% vs 1d100: [5] = 5 - Remove access from anyone outside the VR
Computer Programming 53% vs 1d100: [43] = 43 - Remove access from anyone outside the VR
Computer Operation 73% vs 1d100: [57] = 57 - Remove access from anyone outside the VR

Computer Hacking 48% vs 1d100: [24] = 24 - Look for any transmissions directed by the computer system not directed by the VR
Computer Programming 53% vs 1d100: [88] = 88 - Look for any transmissions directed by the computer system not directed by the VR
Computer Operation 73% vs 1d100: [79] = 79 - Look for any transmissions directed by the computer system not directed by the VR
Goose

Fenrir
Loki
User avatar
Dr. White
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Dr. White »

JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 , 1d100: [57] = 57
PER: 1d100: [74] = 74 vs. 41%
Loot discussion
Only about half the group has responded so far. I figure give them another week or so and then the early birds get their worms?
Lore: Galactic- 1d100: [34] = 34 vs. 53%
Anything White might recall about the various destination options.
Zathark wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:57 am"DIBS on his room!"
White’s reply is immediate and outraged. ”Dibs?!? DIBS! Nobody told me we were doing dibs! That can’t be right. Wait! Dibs on Tillin’s quarters!” After a moment’s hesitation, White adds ”If, uh, anybody finds Nev’s drug stash, let me know. I think that we can all agree that this sort of thing is best left in the hands of a trained medical professional. And scientist. White out. Pausing again, and digesting the conversation about Tillin’s leg, White adds ”I don’t need any more specimens, but Zathark you had best come and see me after your, ah, meal. Consuming uncooked meat from another species is the number one cause of Interstellar Parasite Syndrome (IPS). It would make a fascinating case study!”

Assuming nobody else fights him for Tillin’s quarters, that ship is where White will spend most of his free time. If the medical and/or lab facilities are better, White will pretty much alternate all of his time between the two, unless he’s needed for something else. Mostly, he’s just muttering to his personal recorder. When the time comes to make a decision about their destination, White pipes up, ”Uh, Captain, I think we should make for the Hyaist system. It’s a little out of our way, but so much closer. We get the engines fixed, sell off one of the ships, we’ll ultimately make much better time getting out of Naruni space.” Assuming White has been informed of the communique, he’ll also add, ”Plus, while we’re there, we can see about this whole jouster business. I bet whoever that… person is would be willing to pay handsomely to ensure that it does not meet an unfortunate… accident.” And I still want to know more about this Tillin fellow. And who might have wanted him to explode when he did. As they decide, White will wrack his brain to see if he recalls anything useful about their potential choices of destination.
For SCIENCE!
Force Field: 75/75
,
449/449

+6 initiative, +2 parry, +3 dodge for the first melee after danger occurs; cannot be surprise attacked
,
Eagle-like vision, and can see in total darkness
,
Automatically detects rifts, dimensional envelopes and pockets, four- and two-dimensional beings, astral travelers, and invisible energy essence of alien intelligences and entities. Range is one mile or line of sight, whichever is less.
,
Can negate any spell that directly targets the adept for 5 ISP per spell. Spells that create energies and magical weapons are unaffected.
User avatar
Bhap'Izhedi
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Bhap'Izhedi »

Perception: 41% = 1d100: [66] = 66
Fail.
JIC : 1d20: [13] = 13 / JIC : 1d100: [23] = 23

MOD wrote:"I found a couple of destinations in Hartigal space that should work for us. The Saragasso is less than a month away. That transit time should give us some distance from the bounty hunters to plan our next move. Thoughts?"
Bhap will look over the coordinates provided. Politics matter now that I am a pirate. What do I know about these systems?

Lore Galactic : 60% = 1d100: [24] = 24 What Bhap knows of Saragasso.
Pass.
Lore Galactic : 60% = 1d100: [5] = 5 What Bhap knows of Hyaist.
Crit. Pass.
Lore Galactic : 60% = 1d100: [66] = 66 What Bhap knows of Theora.
Fail.
Dr. White wrote:”Uh, Captain, I think we should make for the Hyaist system. It’s a little out of our way, but so much closer. We get the engines fixed, sell off one of the ships, we’ll ultimately make much better time getting out of Naruni space.”
Sell. Yes, lets sell a ship. Make repairs and cash in, before we are fragged in a limping vessel.

When FTl is reached, Bhap breathes a sigh of relief. He stakes a portion of empty wall in ,or close to, the bridge. Once he has settled on a location, Bhap'Izhedi will tidily cache his armor, weapons and handpicked bounty. He is sickened by the disheveled nature of his clothing. Shiny new belongings and the promise of credits, keep him from dwelling on it. During the travel, Bhap’Izhedi will sleep next to his claim, preferring to rest near the bridge in case of calamity. He will thoroughly grid search every inch of the Kibiko he can access. He doubts the others have missed anything critical, but Bhap trusts his own eyes. He will be meticulous in his inspection, since he has the time. The only space he does not grid search, will be Zathark’s quarters.

Detect Concealment : 75% = 1d100: [61] = 61 Bhap is looking for missed threats on board Kibiko. Stowaways, explosives, hidden surveillance.
Pass.
Bhap'Izhedi

Bhap'Izhedi speaks in heavily accented Trade 4 unless otherwise stated.
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by MOD »

<Rolls carry>

Active Effects
Math: Advanced (62%) 1d100<62: [90] = 0 - Calculate how long the Void Reavers can outrun the Better Than You (looking for a rough idea of how safe a long trip is)
Lore: Galactic (47%) 1d100<47: [34*] = 1 - What does M know about the Field of Cloth of Gold, Sargasso, and Theora based on his time as a test subject for Naruni

The more MOD thinks about it, the longer a month in FTL sounds. Each ship has one functioning engine, and the Better Than You has more and (begrudingly) better engines. They might not have a month to make it to the nearest port. M does the math, and draws up a rough calculation to compare the relative speeds of the ships, and then the odds of being able to evade their scanners.

The other option, if not the Saragasso, is the Hyaist. MOD remembers a little about what the Naruni smythers said about said about the system. It was not positive, (then again, everyone in Naruni was a dismissive prat) and the words "gaudy", "whales", "tasteless", "expensive", and "needlessly violent and petty" were thrown around every time. The more ey thought about it, the more ey wanted to see it in person.

M goes on the radio to the Kibiko and says, "Honestly, team, if we're voting on this, I say we go hit the Field of Cloth of Gold. It sounds really dumb and stupid dangerous. And I can't think of a better place to ride out a bounty than a carnival of violence." A brief pause. "Does that make me a terrible being? Anyway, I've been in touch with the Duke, and we can deliver his goods. Maybe get a tip, or a new job...".
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
Harbinger
Group Leader
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:37 pm

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Harbinger »

Perception: 1d100: [83] = 83 / 34%
JiC: 1d20: [3] = 3 / 1d100: [10] = 10

Conditions: None

Skills:
Lore, Galactic Alien: 1d100: [56] = 56 / 59% (Any information on Theora)

Post:

Aboard the OTD with Galen, Harbinger enjoys the hard fought victory of the group and thinks to grander things. With Nev out and me in, I'll need a solid second. I had thought Galen would take that role but while he is in space and I stay on the OTD in the future, I need someone who can organize the boarding party in my absence. Bert did a tremendous job; I know he signed up as an engineer, so we'll see how contracts change. Ativus thinks to himself while peering out of the bridge windows into the hyperspace. Before having the chance to queue his mic, MOD pops over the channel.
MOD wrote:"I found a couple of destinations in Hartigal space that should work for us. The Saragasso is less than a month away. That transit time should give us some distance from the bounty hunters to plan our next move. Thoughts?"
"Theora is likely safer. We need to make sure both ships can make it that far, but given the distance and prices undoubtedly on our head, we need to push the distance. Saragasso is far enough but just close enough that it'd be where I would look first if I were the hunter. We need to get to our port and consolidate what we can and move on to the next job, Whether it be from the Duke. No nostalgia here, no carnival of violence. At least, not yet. Sounds like a fun pit stop later, though." Ativus comments.

Turning to Galen on the bridge, Ativus nods his head up at his friend. "Slick flying as usual, hound. That little encounter could've been far worse; sort of gave me a flashback of a slaver raid back in the CAF." Ativus admits, recognizing for the first moment, he might have a hurdle to conquer. As a CAF Captain, he fought Pirates, slavers and smugglers on many occasions. He's seen them do horrible things, hell, Aticus employs a carnivore psi-goblin. Now, he is the pirate; now, he might be the one causing those nightmares. All for what? Loot? Loot I didn't even take? What is this really about for me... revenge? Ativus muses for quite some time before shaking back to reality.

I still need to talk with Bert.Ativus thinks and queues his mic in order to send Bert a message. "Machine, when we land, I'd like a word with you." Ativus states.
Please Do Not PM This Account, PM Underguard Instead

The Harbinger | EP Ledger | Other PCs: Culter (CS 40-4th) | Ronan Deshe (Spook Squad) | Scythe (Phase World: Galactic Rogues) | Theron Wymond (PFRPG B)
States and Saves
M.D.C.: 52 / 52 | P.P.E.: 17 / 17
Abilities: Regen 1d4 MDC / hr | Awe/Horror Factor: 10 | Auto-Dodge: +5

Saving Throw Bonuses:
Coma/Death: 25%
Magic (varies): +3
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +5
Psionics (varies): +5
Horror Factor (varies): +4
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: Day 9, 6 hours
Conditions:
  • ODT 1/2 (FTL & STL) engine working perfectly.
  • Kibiko 1/3 Engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly.
After chatting with the Retro-Duke and before jumping to FTL MOD tries to get a scan on the approaching ship. Either due to the haste of eir efforts or jamming ey can't get a good reading. Likewise ey can't work out, with any degree of accuracy, how long they have before the ship could catch them in hyperspace as ey simply doesn't know how fast the inbound ship is in FTL.

Once in the, for now, comforting embrace of FTL and away from the pursuing ship the VR breathe a sigh of relief. On the OTD Harbringer, Hellhound and MOD follow the course laid out by Galen to Hargtigal space and then further refined to Theora. A destination agreed upon in a somewhat pirate fashion - a crew member vote. All seems to be going smoothly. Harbringer has heard of Theora. The only info he can add to the discussion is that the King is, or was, a guy called Larinox. From what Haddock heard the guy is a follower of the Church of Strength - whatever that is.

Onboard the Kibiko Bert focuses on piloting the ship and following the course co-ordinates Galen sent over before they jumped. The Doctor spends this time doing creepy doctor stuff. As usual the rest of the crew leave him alone. Zathark enjoys what remains of Tillin's luxuries, which to be fair is quite a lot.

Bhap goes over the ship with a fine tooth comb and it a good thing that he does so. He finds no less that 17 hidden cameras and still functioning camera drones hidden throughout the ship! With the help of the others on board, who aren't linked to the computer or flying the ship, they manage to find all the hidden units. The drones are presumably the remains of the fan-boi drone swarm that annoyed the crew when they boarded. If hooked up to a computer they will be full of footage from the days since the VR took over the ship. The hidden cameras, on the other hand are something else entirely. They were all expertly hidden and covered most, if not all, the ship. Linked to a passive network that only came on line at random intervals the cameras would dump their data to a server, wipe their drives and then capture more. Even for a guy like Tillin who lived streamed often this is rather suspect. Maybe someone was spying on him? Maybe he was spying on his crew? Regardless, it's safe to assume that this system has been in operation while the VR have been in possession of the ship.

It takes a while but eventually Bhap finds the camera server/comms unit. He, and anyone who wishes to go with him, has to exit the airlock, move over the ship and check the Kibiko's fighter bay which is now open to the void, missing it's bay doors. He has to take the long way as the direct door to the fighter bay isn't an airlock. Even though he, and the rest of ship, is within its FTL Contra-Gravity field, he is well aware of what could go horribly wrong if he loses contact with the Kibiko. His Zero-G training and cool head allow him to complete the job safely. It was hidden in a little alcove disguised as a fire extinguisher unit. He wonders what he should do with the server / comms unit? Taking it inside for investigation, destroying it or just tossing overboard? Once he decides what to do he moves back inside without problems.

Goose moves to the computer core that runs the Kibiko's communications, sensors, power distribution and navigation systems. He settles in with Wolfers and links with the computer. Wanting to get the bottom of what exactly this green rain code is he focuses a lot of time and attention to it. Unfortunately by applying a shotgun approach, of trying to hack or program when he should just operate the computer - and vice versa - he loses a lot of time. He loses time because he ends up working against himself and the work he has already done.

His efforts to identify the green code are frustrating. He can't find the code. He doesn't even see the green rain this time.

He decides that he take another, yet similar, tack he looks for general viruses and malware. Using his hacking know how he doesn't have a lot of success finding any. It doesn't help that there is a huge mountain of data in the core, especially in the navigation section. So he programs a script to automate the process. Then he realizes that he could just run a normal virus scan. So he does so. The problem with the virus scan is that it labels his previous work hacking and programing he's done as malware! Eventually after several false starts, and much more time than it should of taken, Goose has a very long list of suspected viruses and malware.

For security Goose changes the system settings so only the VR can access the computers. He discovers that there is nothing in place for dedicated users, so there is nothing to hack. Anyone onboard can use the computers without needing to input any code, pin or anything. Which from a IT security point of view is an absolute nightmare! He codes out a new system so that every time someone need to use the communications, sensors, power distribution, navigation systems or piloting systems they need to enter their user name and password. It's a good bit of code and should do that job well. He goes to the effort of creating user names and solid passwords for everyone.
User names and passwords:
Go0 - C2#M<"5Fou$0NWe
M0D - "U,~-*sHoD@bIu3
B3R - P~Bae5A<S0&/]mt
h3l - /O)DzX306|r5_Yv
H4R - vsCS"<dz`Z2\_xm
Bh4 - C,0N(6K^/x).kj3
Wh1 - \erCYB3dL+%Wf=~
Z4r - [XA3xJlfiIK/G$\

Anytime any VR on the Kibiko wants to use communications, sensors, power distribution, navigation systems or piloting systems are greeted by a username and password prompt. If no password is entered IC any skill rolls are ignored.
Alarmed by Bhap's discovery of cameras Goose helps by looking over the communication logs for evidence that someone or something else has been using the Kibiko's comms. After a long multi-pronged hacking, programming and operation investigation he doesn't find anything. Which makes sense because Bhap found a completely separate and hidden comms unit in the shuttle bay.

Annoyed by not finding the green rain Goose does some thinking. The first time he saw it was when he linked with the airlock door. He decides to try that again. He does so and immediately sees some of the green code rain and the following message fills his minds eye:

>> ANTI_PSI_PROTOCOL_INITIATED
<>.....
<>.....
<>.....
<>.....
<>.....
<> No Input / Response. Run recorded msg.
<> Recorded msg from (JUNK) begins: Tillin! Stop psi-linking with the airlock door! You're just triggering that infected Anti-Psi-Protocol - again. I swear if I have to clean out that that Amaki Gizmoteer Bastard's psi hypnoware again I'm going to lose my shit! You're spreading it everywhere! Use the buttons like a normal person.
<> Recorded msg from (JUNK) ends.
<>.....
>> ANTI_PSI_PROTOCOL_TERMINATED


Ah ha! This must be the source of it. Goose wonders exactly what 'Amaki Gizmoteer psi hypnoware' could be.

At the same time a virus scan running on the computer completes and initates a clean secquence. The computer core cleans the offending infected files and reboots itself. Now it wouldn't usually do this by itself, but with all the hacking and programming and operating that's been going on it's gotten a little confused. When the computer reboots itself the communications, sensors, power distribution and navigation systems stop working to allow for the post virus scan reboot and implementation of the new user name and password protocol.

On board the Kibiko the lights go out, artificial gravity and life support system stops and the ship drops out of hyperspace. After 3 minutes of darkness and zero gravity everything comes back online when the computer core finishes its reboot. Those of you attempting to use any of the communications, sensors, power distribution, navigation systems or piloting systems are greeted by a username and password prompt.

Some time later ( 1d4: [4] = 4 hours) on the OTD whoever is manning the controls notes that the Kibiko is no longer following closely behind in FTL.

What are your intentions?

GM Questions
What are you doing with the Retro-Duke's Hover Jouster?
What are you doing with the comms unit Bhap found?
Dice rolls
1d4 hours: [2] = 2
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by MOD »

Perception (21%) 1d100<21: [93] = 0
JiC 1d20: [20] = 20 / 1d100: [1] = 1

Active Effects
Sensory Equipment (47%) 1d100<47: [12*] = 1 - Find the Kibiko
Navigation (82%) 1d100<82: [54*] = 1 - Plot likely route to find Kibiko

MOD had expected that once they hit FTL, it would be a relatively peaceful journey to plan how they would deal with the bounty hunters on the Better Than You. That is a mistake, as shortly afterwards Bhap finds a number of hidden cameras on the ship. Who knows how much they have recorded, or where that data is being sent, regardless they had been made. FUX! MOD was already going to ditch the rockstar banker, that one had been seen by thousands and millions of fan-bois. And the waif had traipsed around the Kibiko as well, to collect the eir Space Angel PA, do a couple of shifts repairing the ship and spacing the dead bodies. MOD would miss this shell, it had a 'yi-yi' charm. At least ey had never floated around the Kibiko in energy form, so those looks are safe for the time being.

As MOD contemplates these things ey do not realize that ey have lost sight of the Kibiko altogether. MOD checks the scanners to look for any sign of the ship. Ey will then calculate a route to circle back to find the Kibiko. As ey scramble to figure out where the others have disappeared to, MOD shouts up to the pilot, "Hey Cap, we got a problem. I don't see the other ship."

MOD then passes the scanner data and calculations up to the pilot's console. "Circle back?"
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
Goose Fenrir
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 am

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Goose Fenrir »

Perception (30%) vs: 1d100: [24] = 24
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 and 1d100: [5] = 5
(Fenrir and Loki)

When the computer resets and the ship looses all functions Goose makes his way to the computer and removes all the programming for access restriction to the ships functions. He then resets the core and crosses his fingers.

Computer Operation 73% vs 1d100: [16] = 16 - Remove access restrictions.
Goose

Fenrir
Loki
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Death and Gravity »

Mini Update for the Kibiko
After a minute or so the he lights go out, artificial gravity and life support system stops again - for no apparent reason. What the in Forge is happening to this ship? After a couple of minutes everything come back on line again. There are no username or password prompts this time. Everything seems normal. As soon as someone figures out the exact current location of the Kibiko they can plot a new course to Theora and you can be on your way again.
GM note:
Successful Space Navigation roll and you will be on your way.
User avatar
Goose Fenrir
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 am

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Goose Fenrir »

Goose Fenrir wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:50 am Perception (30%) vs: 1d100: [24] = 24
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 and 1d100: [5] = 5
(Fenrir and Loki)
When the ship finally normalizes Goose keys the ship wide radio, [color]"Sorry."[/color] Releasing the radio he finds a cubby to hide in to avoid the backlash from the crew.
Goose

Fenrir
Loki
User avatar
Dr. White
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Dr. White »

JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 , 1d100: [57] = 57
PER: 1d100: [51] = 51 vs. 41%

Trade Two: 1d100: [41] = 41 vs. 115%
Research notes.

Do they really expect a bunch of pirates to greet us like comrades-in-arms, and not as easy prey? White thinks as he listens to the ongoing discussion of their next destination. Oh, well. I guess Tillin will have to wait. A pity this crew doesn’t have more scientific curiosity. Still, I suppose I can’t blame them for being risk averse, not being able to phase shift out of reality and all. Hmmmm… ”Research log update. Find a way to turn everyone into ghosts.” Still, with the matter settled White retreats to his lab (makeshift or otherwise, depending on the specifics of Tillin’s ship), and putters around with his computer and any equipment he was able to salvage. When the power goes out, White scowls- irritated at having been interrupted. ”Oh bother, what now?” Fortunately, he doesn’t have to wait long for Goose to fix things- unfortunately he can’t navigate, so he may have to wait a bit longer before getting underway. Still, with the power back on White can resume puttering, so for the moment he keeps to himself and out of everyone’s way.
For SCIENCE!
Force Field: 75/75
,
449/449

+6 initiative, +2 parry, +3 dodge for the first melee after danger occurs; cannot be surprise attacked
,
Eagle-like vision, and can see in total darkness
,
Automatically detects rifts, dimensional envelopes and pockets, four- and two-dimensional beings, astral travelers, and invisible energy essence of alien intelligences and entities. Range is one mile or line of sight, whichever is less.
,
Can negate any spell that directly targets the adept for 5 ISP per spell. Spells that create energies and magical weapons are unaffected.
User avatar
Zathark
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Zathark »

Perception: 26% 1d100: [82] = 82

JIC 1d20: [1] = 1
JIC 1d100: [14] = 14
Dr. White wrote:”Dibs?!? DIBS! Nobody told me we were doing dibs! That can’t be right. Wait! Dibs on Tillin’s quarters!”
Zathark cackles in absolute glee at the potential for chaos. "Yes! YES!" He keys on his radio. "That's affirmative, Doc. Any o' you other goons want good quarters, you better call 'em out now!"
Dr. White wrote:”If, uh, anybody finds Nev’s drug stash, let me know. I think that we can all agree that this sort of thing is best left in the hands of a trained medical professional. And scientist. White out."
"NO! I called DIBS on them drugs! They're MINE!"
Dr. White wrote:”I don’t need any more specimens, but Zathark you had best come and see me after your, ah, meal. Consuming uncooked meat from another species is the number one cause of Interstellar Parasite Syndrome (IPS). It would make a fascinating case study!”
Zathark hears this over the radio, and replies in kind. "Nah. But if you wanna good look at my turds, I'll tell ya where I left 'em!"

Eventually, the little tumor shifts his loot to a corner of the Kibiko, and makes himself a horrid little nest of sorts. As Zathark makes himself comfortable, leering over his ill-gotten loot, suddenly the power - including gravity - cuts off. Again.

"Raz-Q!%@R$^in' Frak-M()&*^&$er!" He floats helplessly once again, until the gravity comes back on, and he plummets back to the deck. Face down in a pile of his own gear, he mumbles

"They're doin' that ON PURPOSE."
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 55/55
ISP: 46/46
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 90/90 MDC
User avatar
Bhap'Izhedi
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Bhap'Izhedi »

Perception : 41% = 1d100: [61] = 61
Fail.
JIC : 1d20: [4] = 4 / JIC : 1d100: [35] = 35
Bhap'Izhedi carefully removes the server/comms unit from its hiding place and inspects the device. This is the terminus. I should fire it into the vacume. Since I do not know what this malicious device is, I am not qualified to make that decision.
He broadcasts: "I have found something. Might be a transponder. It was well hidden, like the cameras."

Bhap reacts to the Kibiko's loss of power with a string of curses. I am completely foiled by darkness again. Are we under attack? Chaos does not immediately follow, so Bhap consigns himself to blindly floating in the airlock.
Movement in Zero Gravity : 90% = 1d100: [6] = 6 He will steady himself in a fixed position, using the hull as an anchor.
Pass.
Goose wrote:Sorry
It was him. Why did he kill the ship again, and why mid FTL? Oh well.
When the lights return, Bhap will make sure that his personal cache is in good order after the loss of gravity. He will get clear of his armor, and placing on top of his stash. Then he will take his electronic prize and seek out Goose. When Bhap locates the Goose's hiding spot: "I am not mad at You, or Wolfers. I found this piece of tech. I don't know what it is." Bhap will happily give over the server / comm unit, if Goose is interested.
Bhap'Izhedi

Bhap'Izhedi speaks in heavily accented Trade 4 unless otherwise stated.
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: Day 9, 7 hours
Conditions:
  • OTD: 1/2 engine (FTL & STL) working perfectly.
  • Kibiko: 1/3 engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly.
Onboard the OTD MOD checks the sensors but the Kibiko must be too far away to get a reading. This could be an indication that it has dropped out of hyperspace. Ey plot a course to go back and find the other ship but if something has gone wrong and the Kibiko is back in real space ey won't be able to detect it unless he almost runs into it. Ey do consider using the FTL comms to try to reach the Kibiko, but if Leslie, Gloria and company are hot on their heels that could attract them like a moth to a flame. Ey change course and starts the search for the Kibiko.

Back on the Kibiko everything seems to be back to normal now that Goose has brought everything back on line. The rest of the crew take it pretty easy on Goose, much to his relief. The Doctor and Zathark bicker about the ownership of Nev's stash even though the stash is presumably still in the OTD. Eventually those on board figure out that no one knows how to plot a new course to Theora. All the crew members who know how to navigate are on the OTD! An outside observer would probably question the competence of the Void Reavers. Dropping out of hyperspace can be chalked up to a mechanical or mechanic's error, it happens. Putting all three navigators on one ship and leaving none on the other seems like a fundamental error that should never happen. Likewise both Goose and Bert, the VR's dedicated mechanics, are on the Kibiko so hopefully everything on the OTD keeps running smoothly.

On the subject of outside observers, Bhap brings Goose the comms unit he found out in the Kibiko's shuttle bay. It's roughly the size and shape of a large suitcase. It's heavy. "I am not mad at You, or Wolfers. I found this piece of tech. I don't know what it is." He says as he hands it over.

On the bridge the rest of the crew consider what they are going to do. There is nothing on the sensors and the comms are silent. Blind jump? Call the OTD over FTL comms? Wait for the OTD to figure out what has happened and come and find them? All of these courses of action have risks. There aren't that many options, but at the moment they are kind of stuck.

What are you intentions?

GM Questions
What are you doing with the Retro-Duke's Hover Jouster?
All group gear claimed as per the OOC thread can be assigned to your character sheets. Just note that the items were taken from group gear - please and thank you
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Are we Real Pirates now?

Post by MOD »

Perception (21%) 1d100<21: [74] = 0
JiC 1d20: [18] = 18 / 1d100: [56] = 56

Active Effects
Navigation: Space (46%) 1d100<46: [98] = 0 - Plot out a projected route from the current location of the Kibiko to the Theora system
Math: Advanced (62%) 1d100<62: [41*] = 1 - Correct any miscalculations in coordinates based on difference in location between ODT and Kibiko
Electronic Countermeasures (42%) 1d100<42: [86] = 0 - Send coordinates to the Theora system and audio file via encrypted channel

OD looks at the scanners in frustration. No sign of the Kibiko, as if the ship has dropped out of FTL and is now dragging behind. If M had to guess, it was likely Goose poking around with the ship's systems and setting something off. Or maybe Zathark stuck his tongue in an electrical outlet again. Or Bhap shot a computer up for target practice. Or the Doctor's inherent creepiness just rubbed the AI the wrong way and it shut down. Really, all innocent enough explanations; they're just a bunch of incompetent boobs, MOD thinks. And MOD thinks some more, they're all a bunch of incompetent boobs that don't know how to navigate a spaceship.

It's not so innocent, because they cannot find their way to the Theora system. MOD starts to put together coordinates for the Theora system, and does a quick review. They are bad, so bad it's embarrassing. It's an insult to the First Ones that invented FTL mathematics in the first place. MOD looks over the equation to find where things went so horribly wrong. Ey had not adjusted for the fact that the Kibiko had already traveled in FTL for a couple of hours already and was making the jump from a different point in space. Making that adjustment sets the coordinates right, and MOD is ready to send them to the other set of Reavers. But then ey realize another problem, open space means open ears. Anyone (especially the Baron) could listen in and find out their destination. So ey decide to send a coded transmission to the Kibiko via tac-line.

Code: Select all

On Time Delivery to Kibiko, lost sight on sensors, sending coordinates rendezvous, please run coordinate file thru audio decoder before entering in computer
If retrieval preferred, send message, and wait in current location

Attachments:
pirate-docking.plt
Beats_Nev9.mp3
MOD adds two attachments - a vector file containing the coordinates that anyone can enter into the ship's navigation system and then use, and an audio file. The coordinates contained on the vector file are off, and in fact it looks like someone had liberally thrown in the number 9 to garble the actual coordinates. If one were to delete nine digits from the coordinates they would actually work and take someone to the, well, MOD didn't actually do the math to see where the coordinates will lead. Listen, the audio track is an avant-garde song with the repeated lyric, 'number nine/ number nine'. However, the song is notorious in certain circles for containing hidden messages when played backward. Some say that it is a message that triggers sleeper assassins, others that it is a confession from the hitman that killed the famous crime lord The Walrus, and others say that it is the recipe for a really ripping lentil soup. To this MOD added eir own message, the coordinates to the Theora system; play the song backwards (like MOD always says one should when pulling up this track) and listen for the Phantom's hidden message to fly to the agreed pirate haven.

Looking up to whoever is piloting the OTD, MOD calls out, "Let's sit tight and wait for a response. If we don't hear anything in an hour, we can ping again or go try and track them down, neh?"

While waiting for word from the Kibiko, MOD also decides to send out one more message. Still looking like a French waif, ey make a video recording for the Retro-Duke Goljun regarding his jouster. "Alo milord, I hope zee massage finds vous tré relaxed. I want vous to know that I am personally overzeeing le day-lee-very of your hovercycle. It shall seem that the new transport sheep is having some technicality tissues. I shall keep vous ah-praised of le situation. If vous has any questions, vous may contact le Mademoiselle at this address. Bon soir, Monsieur Duke!"

MOD gets up from eir chair and stretches. Looking up to the ceiling of the bridge, ey think, Hopefully that buys us some time.
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
Post Reply

Return to “Phase World: The Three Galaxies”