- On board the ODT and Kibiko inside a deep space Repression Zone. Repairs underway.
- ODT 1/2 (FTL & STL) engine working perfectly. Thanks to Bert's EP crit successes and the teams co-operation.
- Kibiko 1/3 Engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. Thanks to Bert's EP crit successes and the teams co-operation.
MOD, much to eir own surprise feels saddened by Nev's passing, so much so they feel compelled to change form to process the grief. Personning the sensors and comms there isn't really anything to distract their self from eir sadness. The only things on the sensors are the Kibiko's explosively detached shuttle bay doors and assorted drone wreckage slowly drifting further and further away from the ships. Ey assume that Tillin's comms sats are still out there somewhere but they have gone dark. The comms are effectively silent.
The Doctor busies himself with his investigations into the various body parts of Tillin and his entourage. The rest of the crew leaves him to it. They do so not out of respect for the dead but because the guy is just such a creep about it. If they didn't pick up on the Doctor's odd looks, inappropriate comments and general sinister, macabre and ghoulish behavior, after a week of seeing him rummage around the ship with various sentient being carcass and viscera they certainly have picked up on it now. It comes as no surprise that the crew died of various injuries consistent with close range explosively propelled shrapnel and concussive force. Tillin's leg doesn't really provide any real insight either. Between a lack of proper lab facilities and the tender attention of Zathark's teeth, all he can tell for almost certain is that the leg is the correct species, probably.
Zathark avoids as much manual work as possible, but is roped into various tasks to help the rest of the crew. However what he does willing do is some mental work. Which makes him feel like a bit of a nerd. He's seen Starfinder Jones do stuff like this so it can't be too nerdy, can it? He concludes the following:
- He has no idea if Tillin had any enemies. Tillin was the golden boy of NE and everyone loved him. The sun really did shine out of his arse.
- The chances of Nev, Tillin or Tillin's enemies even knowing each other even existed are practically zero. Well, maybe Nev saw Tillin on a trid once or twice, but that'll be about it.
- Given the above there is only one conceivable, and easily provable, link between Nev, Tillin or anyone in between. Nev once possibly had a girlfriend called Betty. Betty had a cat called Dodge. Starfinder Jones had also had a cat called Dodge! Starfinder Jones, for a while, had the clap. Betty also probably gave Nev the clap. Therefore Betty's Dodge and Starfinder Jone's Dodge WERE THE SAME CAT! Dodge had a collar, on the collar was a shooting star. Tillin was often described as not only a Star with NE, but as NE's very own Shooting Star! Clearly DODGE is a psychic super-cat and psychically influnced Nev and Tillin, through their psychically induced sexually transmistted infections to be in the same place at the same time for them both to die togther! Just like in Romulet and Julio the famous Psi-Goblin love-murder-lullaby. Simple really.
"Tillin! It's about time you picked up your damn comms! You bloody bent spoon! We had a deal, a deal with an agreed timeframe! I must insist on asking, where is my Duke's Jouster?!? The Field of the Cloth of Gold is coming up soon and we need that order here yesterday!" The video link with the call kicks in. On the other end is the slim faceplate of a cyborg wearing make-up and a white powdered wig. "Oh, You're not Tillin put him on you, you ugly little cretin.... Oh my, my dear are the rumors true? Is Tillin dead or missing? No matter, ah I mean to say: More importantly, where is our damned Jouster?!? What will the Duke say? blast! damn it! blast!" The cybernetics on this guy must be top notch because they modulate the rising sense of panic in his voice really well. The Cyborg goes quiet for a little while. "That jouster has been paid fully for! We simply must have it!" The Cyborg suddenly looks to one side and bows and slides smoothly out of view. A much larger, much more menacing heavy combat borg, also with make-up and an an impressive powdered wig fills the screen. "You heard my major-domo. I need that Jouster. Bring it to me now. If I have to send someone to come get it... I. Will. Not. Be. Happy." The Cyber Retros give the VR a chance to respond, then the call ends. A short while after MOD notes that the Jouster's smart, self-tracking crate uses the ships comms receive a rapid burst packet and then instantly sends out a small data packet response. Someone should really turn off that bluetooth connection.
The data pad is full of NE promotional material with nothing else of interest to Zathark's investigations. Interestingly, there is no info in the log of mails, messages or calls. Someone must have set that to self deleting.
Accessing the ships computers and after zoning out pleasantly the to that odd green-code-rain for a second or two Goose finds the following info regarding the ship's recent travels.
Bhap spends his time outside the ship following instructions while working on the engines. Inside, during his down time, he fondles the NE-200 machine gun. It's a lovely piece of kit. He stays on the Kibiko with Bert.
After the NE announcement of just how screwed the Void Reavers are Bert steps up, gives some orders and gets the crew moving. He runs the checks before trying to make the jump to FTL. MOD checks the star charts as per Bert's request. The closest Harigal controlled systems are called Theora (950 LY away) and The Saragasso (426 LY away). The Bushi Federation systems on the other hand, are far far away in The Thundercloud. When Dr. White asks about the distance to the Hyaist system MOD tells him that it is 184 LY away.
Galen, piloting the OTD, and Bert in the Kibiko move out and soon find that their FTL engines seem to be working through the pre-jump process just fine. The Repression Zone must have receded during the time spent repairing the ships. Mere minutes before they jump into Hyperspace MOD gets a dreading on the edge of the sensors. Something is racing through the Repression Zone right towards them. Not that it matters much as both VR ships blink out of real space and, for now, are safe from danger.