[VR] Theora System.

The Anvil, Corkscrew, and Thundercloud galaxies.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Dr. White
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Dr. White »

JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 , 1d100: [98] = 98 ,
PER: 1d100: [27] = 27 , vs. 41%

After White finishes (his observations), he quietly departs and heads back to his lab to compile his notes. Fascinating creatures! I shall have to study MOD more closely. Maybe their taking command will put an end to the constant shit-shows. Later, when Sam introduces themselves and shares their information with the crew, White beams when he finds out he needs no introduction. ”Oh, GOODIE! I’m FAMOUS! We- we’re famous, of course!” What follows is a master class in looking creepy while beaming- you’d think he practiced that smile in front of a mirror. Then it comes time for the group to make some decisions. ”Oh! I have a question, where’s a good place to unload the- what did Bert call it? ‘The crap in the cargo bay’ – yeah! Where’s a good place to find a buyer for our loot?” Assuming that one can be found, White starts ticking off points on his fingers. ”Right, so- a random atoll on a planet seems as good a place to hide as any, and since I get the feeling we’re gonna be running for awhile we should probably get the engines fixed sooner than later. I know this lot ain’t real big on trust, but you tell me MOD- is their information worth the risk?” Assuming an affirmative answer, White nods and says ”Right-o, then. Once we get down there, I can scout out the wreck. Just say the word.”
Last edited by Dr. White on Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
For SCIENCE!
Force Field: 75/75; Power Armor Left Leg: 90/100
,
433/449

+6 initiative, +2 parry, +3 dodge for the first melee after danger occurs; cannot be surprise attacked
,
Eagle-like vision, and can see in total darkness
,
Automatically detects rifts, dimensional envelopes and pockets, four- and two-dimensional beings, astral travelers, and invisible energy essence of alien intelligences and entities. Range is one mile or line of sight, whichever is less.
,
Can negate any spell that directly targets the adept for 5 ISP per spell. Spells that create energies and magical weapons are unaffected.
User avatar
Zathark
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Zathark »

Perception: 29% 1d100: [33] = 33

JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6
JIC: 1d100: [28] = 28

Zathark nearly leaps out of his seat when another MOD-like energy being enters the bridge, but given the profound lack of hot plasma filling the air in a samward direction, he sits back and hears her out, trusting that his crewmates have sense enough at least to shoot at unwanted intruders.

Frak... I already killed a borg today... how would I fight some energy being anyhow?
Same wrote:"Yes, you guys are famous wherever NE products are sold. No Naruni sold here on Theora, but they still, being former NE drones themselves, have a taste of NE Reality Trid and you guys are all over it, so the Hartigal drones down there know who you are."
Zathark's mind boggles - which sounds more impressive than it is. The psi-goblin's mind is relatively easy to boggle.

"f.. famous?"
Sam wrote: Pity that Trenisk found the hidden cameras. That bit of inspired work made you very popular Mr. Machine. Your SMASH ENTERTAINMENT licensed (NE) branded figurines are selling like crazy. Only Zathark figurines have better sales figures!"
"Zathark... figurines?"
Dr. White wrote:”Oh, GOODIE! I’m FAMOUS! We- we’re famous, of course!”
"We... we're, uh... Holy ratbags..."

Occasionally, a psi-goblin's mind bends just enough to experience a sensation of transcendent joy, not unlike the spiritual state of nirvana is for more enlightened beings. Psi-Goblins usually only reach this state when they have been sated by the three F's (Fighting, food, and... mating) within a reasonably short timeframe. This period is usually short-lived, and leaves the miniature terror hungry for more.

In Zathark's mind, an experience akin to this was unfolding. Let's have a look:

I'm famous? Like... action-figure famous? And my action figure is tha TOP SELLER? Little... Little Psi-Goblin kids finally have an action figure of their own ta play with, an' it's ME? On my FIRST JOB as a PIRATE?

I...

I must be...

I must be FRAKKIN' EXCELLENT at this!!! I... I gotta get some o' those action figures! I gotta rub it in everyone's faces! All them Smegheads what said I was worthless! FRAK THEM! I'M FAMOUS!!


... and more along those lines, for a good minute (which is longer than most Psi-Goblins can follow a thought - indeed Zathark is exceptional, at least in that regard, I must admit).

then he comes back to reality, with a practical question, to wit:

"Uhh... what's our cut? Of the action figures? Like... how much do we get per unit?"

*sigh* Poor stupid Zathark.
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 61/61
ISP: 38/48
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 51/90 MDC
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: 36 days, 10.5 hours
Conditions:
  • Kibiko: 1/3 engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. The other two need repairs and parts.
Dr. White wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:41 am”Oh! I have a question, where’s a good place to unload the- what did Bert call it? ‘The crap in the cargo bay’ – yeah! Where’s a good place to find a buyer for our loot?”
Stick figure Sam thinks about this for a second. "Talk with Gilly in Nova Nassau. It's a bit of a backwater so they probably won't have seen you on the trid. But it's big enough to avoid small town prices if you know what I mean. Tell her Phil sent you... No, don't tell her that. She's the Fence that I found easiest to deal with. She can be picky about what she buys though. Expect to Haggle."
Zathark wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:19 am"Uhh... what's our cut? Of the action figures? Like... how much do we get per unit?"
Sam turns to Zathark and smiles a little sadly. "If you have to ask that I'm going to go ahead and guess that you're getting zero per unit."

Finally, Sam turns to Bert. "So, those missing shuttle bay doors on the top of the ship. Were you planning on re-entering the atmosphere with them missing? That'd be a pretty bold move. Doable for sure, but you know how re-entry can go even on the best of days ... Not the kind of thing you take risks with, right? Very well Chums, I'll be off now."

Sam blows MOD a kiss and heads to the airlock. Once inside the lock, they revert back to their light form. As soon as the exterior door opens Sam is gone in a silent flash.

What are your intentions?
User avatar
The Machine
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by The Machine »

Perception: 1d100: [93] = 93 /49%
Just in Case: 1d20: [1] = 1 ; 1d100: [87] = 87
Conditions: None.

HP: 30/30
S.D.C.: 22/22
I.S.P.: 35/35
P.P.E.: 137/127


Bert listens to the energy being, but keeps quiet for the most part. Once they're gone, Bert sighs. "This has been the weirdest year yet, and we're only a month in. I guess we don't have any other options to be honest, so if we can get to the jacked up crashed ship. I'll see what I can do to fix this piece of work. She's not wrong though, the open hull is gonna be a problem... Let me see if I can jury-rig a temporary repair so we don't die in reentry." Bert says with a resigned shrug. Bert checks his O2 levels and makes for a trip outside to see if there is anything they can do to make the Kibiko not explode.

I swear if I end up having to rebuild the other ship instead, I'm gonna lose my cool. Bert thinks as he considers where he can salvage some plates from inside to make a faux replacement.

Spaceship Mechanics 1d100: [36] = 36 /50% (To make a temporary repair on the ship so she don't go kablooie on the way into orbit.)
They call me The Machine.
"When one wants to not be caught, one should have a cover identity that is very different to themselves." ~Burt.
User avatar
Zathark
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Zathark »

Perception 29% 1d100: [64] = 64

JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10
JIC: 1d100: [44] = 44
Sam wrote:"If you have to ask that I'm going to go ahead and guess that you're getting zero per unit."
Zathark frowns. "That's not fair! That's MY face that I made famous with crimes! They're usin' MY face ta make creds? And not paying ME? That's not fair."

As the Psi-Goblin sits, revenge fantasies percolate in his tiny mind. I won't dignify them by showing you. Suffice to say that they're vile.
Sam wrote: "So, those missing shuttle bay doors on the top of the ship. Were you planning on re-entering the atmosphere with them missing? That'd be a pretty bold move. Doable for sure, but you know how re-entry can go even on the best of days ... Not the kind of thing you take risks with, right? Very well Chums, I'll be off now."
Bert wrote:" She's not wrong though, the open hull is gonna be a problem... Let me see if I can jury-rig a temporary repair so we don't die in reentry."
Zathark nods. "Yeah... not dying is good. I agree to that."

And deep within his reptilian brain, he thinks If not dying gets me to where I can extract my creds from them Naruni goons for sellin' toys with my face an' not paying me for 'em, then I'm all fer not dying.

Yes. That is Psi-goblin logic.
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 61/61
ISP: 38/48
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 51/90 MDC
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: 38 days
Conditions:
  • Kibiko: 1/3 engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. The other two need repairs and parts.
  • Dorsal shuttle pod bay doors covered by welded on plated and bracing struts, can't be opened.
With Sam gone, Bert resigns himself to putting in more hours of repair work on the Kibiko. After looking over the gaping hole where the pod bay doors should be he scavenges up enough interior plating and bracing to plug the hole. In doing so he considers that the real problem wouldn't have been the lack of heat shielding on top, it's the bottom that takes the worst of the heat. Or even the negative aerodynamic effect. No, the real issue is that without the doors the rigidity of the ship would have been compromised. If they had tried to re-enter sans repairs the ship may have looked a little bit like a banana by the time they reached the ground. Luckily, the repairs are good and the ship re-enters just fine.

Skill rolls required
Someone needs to make a successful piloting roll to renter.
Someone needs to make a successful computer operation and navigation roll to find the atoll.

If you succeed you get in and find the atoll quickly, if you fail it takes longer and you may attract attention to yourselves. However you eventually arrive at the Atoll.
As the Void Reavers fly over the atoll they see the downed Scarab resting in the shallows closest to the northern most island (The one at the top of the photo. The Scarab is resting in the water partially submerged 150ft from the shore of the island.). It seems Sam's information was accurate! The ship touches down on the closest island, crushing many trees as it does so as there is no clearing to land in.

An atoll somewhere on Theora.
KJ4758 is one of a number of sandy islets on a continuous ring of coral reef enclosing a lagoon. The total land area of the islets is approximately 1 square mile (2.6 km2). The coral reef covers about 3,600 acres (15 km2). The lagoon is some 7 miles (11 km) across, covering an area of 22 square miles (57 km2). There are several small passages through the reef for boats, though there is no safe entry for large ships. At a latitude of 18 degrees south, KJ4758 enjoys a tropical climate but is exposed to severe tropical cyclones.Image
  • It becomes apparent to Bert and anyone else sensitive to such that there is a weak leyline around here somewhere.
  • If MOD should 'listen in' to the radio traffic ey'll pick up faint morse code like signals.
  • The ship is surrounded by trees similar to Coconut trees. You open up the airlocks to be greeted by a wall of smashed up tree bits and a bit further out closely packed trees and dense bamboo-like undergrowth. There are a lot of insects.
Once again on firm land and surrounded by a breathable atmosphere the Void Reavers are back planet-side. Presumably alone in the middle of nowhere, but they are safely back on a planet. Whatever will they do next?

What are your intentions?
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

Perception (21%) 1d100<21: [39] = 0
JiC 1d20: [16] = 16 / 1d100: [96] = 96

Physical shell:Think Idris Elba in Luther

Effects
Pilot: Small spacecraft (68%) 1d100<68: [88] = 0 - Reentry
Navigation: Space (46%) 1d100<46: [31*] = 1 * - Find the atoll
Computer operations (62%) 1d100< 62: [51] = 51 - Plot course to atoll

After several hours, MOD emerges from one of the crew cabins back in the physical form of a large suave black man with a goatee and tweed outfit. Ey is hunched over, head hanging low, and casually shuffle back to the bridge. If anyone gives M a look ey will snap, "I don't want to talk about it." Ey looks over the ship's console and prepare for landing. Focusing on just that and not thinking about awkward ey were around Sam, MOD attempts a rocky reentry onto Theora prime. It goes about as well as one could expect.

When the ship stabilizes in the planet's atmosphere, MOD throws back eir head and chuckles, "Wow, that was close one. Makes one really assess one's life, doesn't it? Like this ship is a busted hunk of metal and we were thiiiiiiiiiiis close to turning into a flaming piece of debris. Well you were, I would have just turned into a photon again and zipped off into deep space again. No such thing as a reentry that a Phantom can't fly away from. But like there was this moment where all your lives were in my corporeal hands and the only thing I could think about was what was Sam doing?

"Crazy? Right? We just had a quickie, it was purely transactional, and here I am thinking 'is this the last bit of intimacy I have with a member of my species?' before incinerating the second crew of a ship in like six hours." As MOD continues to share, and share, ey switches to the navigation console and starts to look for the atoll that Sam had mentioned. "Like what's up with that? Why would I start getting so sentimental when I'm confronted with others' mortality? Is that something that corporeal's normally do? Like do they fixate on one thing or person right before the big light gets snuffed out? Doc, you've seen a lot of patients die? Don't they usually call for the mommy or sentimental rubish? But, like, why would I think about Sam then? It's not like we had a relationship or anything. This was a flash and bang."

MOD finds the atoll rather quickly, working on instinct as ey shares some more of eir feelings. "And it's not like I care what ey thinks about me or anything like that. I just don't want em to say that I was rude or inconsiderate. So ok, maybe I want Sam to think fondly of me, but that's because one does not want to have a galaxy full of jilted exes waiting to get their revenge. But that's just pragmatic. It's not like I've got some emotional 'thing' here.

"In fact maybe that's why this could be considered the healthiest pairing I've ever been in. Right? No attachments, no hopes or expectations for afterwards. Just burn brightly and move on with one's life. No reason to get disappointed later on when it turns out they want 'more from life' or don't get what's so great about the new Carly Slay single or sound in general. Others will just let one down, always. It's not like I'm being unreasonable. I don't have unrealistic expectations. I don't hold others to the standards of a Carly Slay song, I'm not looking for something pure and perfect. Tho her lyrics do encapsulate the giddy thrills of love and woes of heartbreak better than anyone else, and to beats that can make one feel feelings everywhere. Not that I want to be intimate with her, after all she's a corporeal. That being said, her corporeal form is as perfect as her music, her bright blue eyes perfectly framed by her bangs."

MOD puts the coordinates for the atoll into the computer and sets the ship on autopilot. Ey then turns back to whoever is in the cockpit and continues to talk, also on autopilot. "I met her once. Did I ever tell you that?** I was working as a visual tech at one of her concerts. She stopped by the booth to thank us for our hard work, winked at me, and walked away. She's just so totes adorbs. I could have said something to her, but I didn't. Not even 'hello'. The way I see it, why would I want to ruin the moment by blathering on and on and oversharing. And you know, I was ok with that. I really don't need to be around others to be happy. I'm my most me when I'm by myself pumping out the tunes. Huh, that feels good to say aloud. I don't need other people to be happy. It's like I'm being unburdened. I don't care about that other phantom (what's eir name again?), ey can go fux off for all I care. I don't need to feel like I was obligated beyond any gratification from em. And if I'm being honest, it was about a four out of ten, like I might look em up again if I was feeling low. But then again, I don't think I need that in my life. What I really need is a patched up ship and a whole lot of dead fanbois. Anyone with me on that?

"Wait, is that normal? Have any of you ever found yourself so dissatisfied after coupling and just wanted to cause a whole lot of destruction? I mean, it's not like Sam was so bad of a light that I need to kill. Ey were a little eager, but like not in a creepy way. Just like ey hasn't done it in a while and didn't think about the other person. Really, it's more I just want to move on to the problems at hand. Less of a personal life and more of a professional one. Well, I guess I did want to talk about it after all. Anyway, we're here."

MOD skips out of the bridge and down to the cargo bay. Ey heads over to eir Space Angel power armor and appraises it. The suit had taken a little damage in the previous battle, but should still be good if they got into any combat. Then again, why should they expect to be ambushed on the atoll. Presumably Sam didn't send them to a trap. That train of thought is interrupted by the faint sound of a radio signal. M cannot immediately decipher it, but it is a message of some kind. Maybe ey did send us to some kind of trap.

Ey heads back to the others and say, "I hear signs of life. We might want to run our scanners before heading out. Make sure we didn't get set up."

* This is a typo, the proper skill is Navigation: Land, and the skill level posted (46%) reflects that.
** Yes, MOD will have mentioned this on multiple occasions, simply stating that she is 'just so totes adorbs'
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
The Machine
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by The Machine »

Perception: 1d100: [50] = 50 /49%
Just in Case: 1d20: [9] = 9 ; 1d100: [68] = 68
Conditions: None.

HP: 30/30
S.D.C.: 22/22
I.S.P.: 35/35
P.P.E.: 137/127


Pilot: Spacecraft General 1d100: [20] = 20 /70% (Co-Pilot)
Sensory Equipment 1d100: [20] = 20 /58% (Keeping an eye on the ships issues.)

Bert takes a seat at the co-pilots seat and makes course corrections as needed. I hope it has the parts I need to fix this mess. Bert thinks as he looks to the scanners, and various gauges, keeping an eye on the ships tolerances. The whole time a pit has taken a hold in Bert's stomach as he hopes his repairs are up to snuff.

Once the ship is inside the planets orbit, Bert calms down a little. One problem past, now to find a landing spot. Hopefully close to the wreck. Bert thinks before speaking up. "Gonna need to do a sweep of the wreck, then inventory the parts available, then strip the ship and begin making repairs. This is the easy mode if it runs just like that. I have a feeling our luck will not allow for it, but here's hoping." Bert says.

Once the Kibiko is landed, Bert prepares his gear to take a trip into the other wreck.
They call me The Machine.
"When one wants to not be caught, one should have a cover identity that is very different to themselves." ~Burt.
User avatar
Zathark
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Zathark »

Perception 29% 1d100: [52] = 52

JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10
JIC: 1d100: [6] = 6

Zathark sits back in the bridge, watching the others try to guide Tillin's Kibiko through atmospheric re-entry with patchwork hull repairs. He's not overly concerned - he reasons as long as he is not incinerated he can grow back anything that burns off. And if he is incinerated, it's of little concern. Therefore, he happily eats a bag of pretzels and drinks a beer from Tillin's Galley as they work.

As MOD works, he talks. And talks. And talks. Zathark has, in fact, never had anyone in his miserable life talk this much in his presence, and he isn't sure what to make of it. When MOD finishes his story hour, Zathark mumbles,

"Man you sure get chatty when you get some stank on your hang down."

Zathark has trouble remembering when he, himself, was in a similar state, and lets the matter rest.
MOD wrote:"I hear signs of life. We might want to run our scanners before heading out. Make sure we didn't get set up."
Zathark grins, in a particularly malicious way. "Man, fer a moment there I was sad 'cause I thought we did all the killing what needed done."

With that, Zathark goes and retrieves his weapons. Let's take a peek into his mind as he picks up his phase sword:

Man, still ripe with blood an' oil from that pathetic borg I offed... should I lick it?

Actually... let's not.
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 61/61
ISP: 38/48
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 51/90 MDC
User avatar
Dr. White
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Dr. White »

JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 , 1d100: [28] = 28 ,
PER: 1d100: [64] = 64 , vs. 41%

Pilot: Robots and Power Armor- 1d100: [33] = 33 vs. 88%
Aerial recon of the atoll, while keeping as low as is practical.

White is quiet for most of the post-battle aftermath- not being up to the job of helping with repairs, he mostly sits in his quarters/lab and babbles into his audio logs, with various crazy ideas and half-baked theories to test later. Once the ship is ready for re-entry, White surreptitiously makes his way to the bridge to observe the process. However, at all the conversation about bananas and the near-loss of structural integrity to yet another ship, White just as quietly slips back to his quarters and into his Space Angel. MOD isn’t the only one who can go it alone through atmo. White is back on the bridge in time for most of MOD’s monologue.
MOD wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:01 am"Like what's up with that? Why would I start getting so sentimental when I'm confronted with others' mortality? Is that something that corporeal's normally do? Like do they fixate on one thing or person right before the big light gets snuffed out? Doc, you've seen a lot of patients die? Don't they usually call for the mommy or sentimental rubish? But, like, why would I think about Sam then? It's not like we had a relationship or anything. This was a flash and bang."
White is, for once, taken aback, and gapes a little bit under his helmet. Eventually, he stammers out, ”Uh, you may wish to speak to a different sort of medical professional. I don’t, er, do talk therapy. Now, if there’s a pharmaceutical solution to these, ahem, feelings that actually works on your species, do let me know and I’ll be happy to write a prescription. Thrilled, even.” White then falls silent for the rest of the trip down, waiting for a precognitive sign that he should D-shift and abandon ship.

Fortunately, such never comes, and before long they are back on land. Hallelujah! White thinks, as he briefly considers never leaving for space again. Looking out the windows, he thinks better of it, but soon he finds his curiosity getting the better of him. To MOD, he says ”Since a lot of our muscle went up with the old ship, I suppose someone needs to do a sweep of the island. I’ll stay low and make sure the coast is clear, then we can take a look at the wreck.” Barring any other orders, that’s just what White does when the time comes.
For SCIENCE!
Force Field: 75/75; Power Armor Left Leg: 90/100
,
433/449

+6 initiative, +2 parry, +3 dodge for the first melee after danger occurs; cannot be surprise attacked
,
Eagle-like vision, and can see in total darkness
,
Automatically detects rifts, dimensional envelopes and pockets, four- and two-dimensional beings, astral travelers, and invisible energy essence of alien intelligences and entities. Range is one mile or line of sight, whichever is less.
,
Can negate any spell that directly targets the adept for 5 ISP per spell. Spells that create energies and magical weapons are unaffected.
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

<Rolls carry>

MOD walks back to the bridge, keeping an ear out for the radio signal, with a grimace. As best ey can tell, it is a deliberate signal. Why the fux didn't bother to I learn pig radio when I had the chance? Oh, yeah, I was getting into dronewave, and didn't want the beats to ruin my vibes. I stand by that decision.
Dr. White wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:44 am"Since a lot of our muscle went up with the old ship, I suppose someone needs to do a sweep of the island. I’ll stay low and make sure the coast is clear, then we can take a look at the wreck."
"Good idea, Doc," MOD replies. "Go ghost and do a sweep of the immediate area around the ship. While he's doing that, can some one check the sensors and try to locate any radios."
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: 39 days
Conditions:
  • Kibiko: 1/3 engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. The other two need repairs and parts.
  • Dorsal shuttle pod bay doors covered by welded on plated and bracing struts, can't be opened.
The Void Reavers disembark and get their bearings on the atoll. Doc scouts out the islands and reefs in his Space Angel. On his travels he notices several things of interest:
  • There are some rather large top-of-the-food-chain predatory looking fish cruising around inside the atoll. They react to him flying over by swimming erratically for a few seconds.
  • Flying over the scarab it seems like a stock standard Scarab that's been shot down resting in water. It's mostly submerged with only a small portion sitting above the waterline.
  • At the southern end of the atoll there are some surprisingly large waves.
  • The islands all have dense trees and undergrowth and seem to be deserted except for one.
  • The most south western island has signs of previous habitation. Dotted along the outer beaches there are several fire pits. Closer in towards the tree line there are several abandoned huts and large cages. Scattered all across the beach above the high tide line are the bones of what must, at the very least, be dozens of humanoids. Along with the bones there is a lot of trash, mostly discarded beverage containers. It is deserted at the moment and fire pits have not been used in a long time.
  • It's hard to tell during the day, and while inside a power armour, but there could be a ley line running along the southern edge of the atoll. Maybe at night it'll be visible. GM Note: it is.
Bert and Zathark get ready to go and check the wreck. All geared up, they get fed up waiting for Doc to come back so they head out the the Scarab. The water in the lagoon is crystal clear and in the distance there seem to be some intimidatingly large shark looking fish cruising round out there. They keep their distance though. The floor of the lagoon is sand with outcrops of coral scattered around. Reaching the ship is pretty straight forward, getting inside is not. The thing is completely shut down so the airlock doors have to be manually opened which, due to how the ship impacted, is never a fun job in the best of conditions. The holes in the slagged cockpit aren't large enough to gain access and making them bigger would require a lot of work or a lot of explosives. Even though both Bert and Zathark have enough strength to force the doors easily, they have to contend with moving several meters of sand and coral just to get access to either the airlocks or the rear cargo doors. While this is not an insurmountable problem it takes a frustrating amount of time to get a door open, or make the cockpit holes big enough.

Once inside they can tell the that the ship was empty when it crashed. There is no sign of any crew, save the meagre shredded remains of armored flight suits. The submerged cargo bay is empty of cargo or anything of value. Maybe there is salvage in the other areas but that will take time to search. There are however, a lot of large crabs and various kinds of skittish yet vividly colored fish inside the ship. In terms of the all important parts required for the Kibiko's engines, Bert's first impression is that he has enough here to get all three engines back on line. They return to the Kibiko to let the others know what they found.

By the time Doc, Bert and Zathark return the sun has reached the horizon and it'll be getting dark soon.

GM Note: I'm pretty loose on time passing for this post, but it'll take a while to carefully scout the atoll and access and check the wreck. Plus you guys need to eat and rest at some stage. For the next post can you put up several days of activity? Bert - I'd like some skill rolls for the repairs please.

Accessing the Scarab
Getting to the downed ship will require a swimming skill roll or some sort of in-post description of how the character will get there. I looked over Bert and Zathark's character sheets and figured that you guys should be able to reach the wreck without too much hassle.

Once inside, if you don't have a way to breath underwater you'd need to swim from air pocket to air pocket. Feel free to assume there are enough of these to get most anywhere you'd want to go inside the ship. Careful though, eventually the oxygen in these will run out.
An atoll somewhere on Theora.
KJ4758 is one of a number of sandy islets on a continuous ring of coral reef enclosing a lagoon. The total land area of the islets is approximately 1 square mile (2.6 km2). The coral reef covers about 3,600 acres (15 km2). The lagoon is some 7 miles (11 km) across, covering an area of 22 square miles (57 km2). There are several small passages through the reef for boats, though there is no safe entry for large ships. At a latitude of 18 degrees south, KJ4758 enjoys a tropical climate but is exposed to severe tropical cyclones.Image
What are your intentions?
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

Perception (21%) 1d100<21: [55] = 0
JiC 1d20: [15] = 15 / 1d100: [24] = 24

Physical shell:Think Idris Elba in Luther

Effects
Sensory equipment (47%) 1d100<47: [58] = 0
Radio: Basic (72%) 1d100<72: [78] = 0

While the others are patrolling the island, MOD stays on the Kibiko and tries to track down the radio signal ey can hear. Ey use the sensors to pinpoint the source of the signal, if possible, as well as detect any other vehicles or large signs of life in the area. In eir free time, MOD also records a short section of the radio signal to play for the rest of the crew when the return, otherwise ey will turn it into a sample to remix. Ey listen to the signal a couple of times to notice a pattern. Probably not enough to decipher the message, but enough to convince the phantom that they are not alone on the atoll. Or at the very least, there are other sentient beings somewhere nearby. Wonder if we'll get any visitors.

When Bert, Doc, and Zathark return, MOD asks, "So? What did we find in the swamp?"

Ey will follow up the initial reports by surmising the obvious, "Well lads, I think we can all agree that splitting the crew in two is a capital-B Bad Idea." Looking at Bert, ey continue. "In your professional opinion, which ship is more viable?"

Presuming that Bert says he can fix the Kibiko, MOD furrows eir brow, "I'll be honest with you, I wish we had pretense for chucking the Kibiko. I don't fully trust Kadmire's televised orgy ship, even if you got rid of all the cameras I still feel like we're being watched." Ey clasp eir large hands gently and smile. "But it will be nice to have a fully functioning ship again. And there's something perverse about flying around in Kadmire's ship after fragging him. It's like wearing a Snake and the Slashers shirt to a Hair Full of Roses concert. Feel free to conscript whomever you need to make the ship operational."

"Also, Bertrand," MOD asks. "Do you think you'll have the parts to make those computer parts I asked about? If we can make two, I'd like one on the bridge, and a second in the comms room."

"Next order of business, I've spent the day trying to track this radio signal. Having a beast of a time with it." MOD plays it for the others. Ey follow up with the details on everything else he observed on the scanners. "Thoughts?"

To wrap up the meeting, MOD says, "Alright then, does anyone have any other business to bring to the crew?"
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
The Machine
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by The Machine »

Perception: 1d100: [99] = 99 /49%
Just in Case: 1d20: [2] = 2 ; 1d100: [87] = 87
Conditions: None.

HP: 30/30
S.D.C.: 22/22
I.S.P.: 35/35
P.P.E.: 137/127


Literacy: Trade Four 1d100: [62] = 62 /68% (Read anything written.)
Radio: Basic 1d100: [76] = 76 /73% (Communicate with the team.)
Computer Operation 1d100: [6] = 6 /63% (Work any computers that may be available, if an option.)
Computer Repair 1d100: [93] = 93 /58% (Strip computer parts.)
Basic Electronics 1d100: [25] = 25 /63% (Strip Electronics)
Mechanical Engineer 1d100: [58] = 58 /63% (Strip parts from the ship)
Sensory Equipment 1d100: [96] = 96 /58% (Keep an eye on things)
Math : Basic 1d100: [16] = 16 /83% (Make educated guesses to needs.)
Land Navigation 1d100: [70] = 70 /56% (Plot an easy route for parts transport.)
Pilot: Jet Pack 1d100: [11] = 11 /62% (Fly between Kibiko and Scarab)
Spaceship Mechanics 1d100: [44] = 44 /50% (Strip Parts)
Spaceship Mechanics 1d100: [92] = 92 /50% (Effect repairs)
Electrical Engineer 1d100: [6] = 6 /63% (Effect repairs)
Weapons Engineer 1d100: [46] = 46 /53% (Strip parts/Ammunition)
Drive Repair 1d100: [25] = 25 /58% (Effect repairs.)
Field Armorer & Munitions Expert 1d100: [85] = 85 /58% (Strip/Effect repairs)
Computer Hacking 1d100: [37] = 37 /23% (Access locked computers, if needed.)

MOD wrote:"So? What did we find in the swamp?"
"A robust ecology for the most part." Bert says.
MOD wrote:"In your professional opinion, which ship is more viable?"
"The Scarab is slagged, barely even good for parts. So the one that's still flying." Bert says in a smart ass tone.
MOD wrote:"Also, Bertrand," MOD asks. "Do you think you'll have the parts to make those computer parts I asked about? If we can make two, I'd like one on the bridge, and a second in the comms room."
Bert shakes his head. "It's Bert, not sure where your getting Bertrand, but that's not my name. And maybe, It's gonna take me days to strip the Scarab of parts, and a majority of them have been submerged for who knows how long. I'll try, but it certainly isn't my priority." Bert says a bit peeved. Let me deal with the real problems before I make creature comforts and ease of life modifications.

Bert heads to his bunk with his personal computer and starts crunching numbers. In the end he's unhappy, but certain he can get the Kibiko flying, just not in a speedy manner. Gonna need the strong guys to haul the bigger parts for sure. That aquatic predator is likely going to be needing dealt with, I doubt I can bypass him every time I go to and from the ship. Bert sighs, shuts the computer off and drifts off to sleep.

The next morning, Bert gears up, and makes sure he has his tool kit on him. "Doc, Zathark... I definitely need you two for heavy lifting and dealing with predatory fauna. Today is going to be a lot of dismantling. I'm of the mindset to take anything not nailed down in that ship." Bert says before making his way back to the Scarab. Once there, Bert decides it's in the groups best interest if he just gets one of the doors open, versus widening the holes in the cockpit. Bert also focuses on the most major problems on the Kibiko first, engine parts. Once Bert has everything to fix the engines, disassembled and moved back to the Kibiko, he'll go about stripping other useful items from the scarab. Once he's gotten everything of interest, Bert will begin Drive repairs first. Followed by structural, then the rest.
They call me The Machine.
"When one wants to not be caught, one should have a cover identity that is very different to themselves." ~Burt.
User avatar
Zathark
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Zathark »

Perception 29% 1d100: [60] = 60

JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1
JIC: 1d100: [53] = 53

Exiting the Kibiko, the little terror shields his eyes from the tropical sun. "Well, Bert. Ya got us to the surface in one piece. Uh... Good job or whatever."

He looks around the sparse atoll, seeing the downed Scarab in the distance and little else. Oddly, he is not disheartened - Psi-Goblins are used to surviving in extreme circumstances - mainly owing to the fact that the little bastards are largely unwelcome in civilized places.

Which is well deserved.

When Bert heads off to look at the wreck of the Scarab, Zathark gleefully joins in, eager to kill anything they encounter within and loot the thing. After several hours work to gain access by brute force, he is disappointed by the lack of, well, anything within. In his foul little mind, he sees the various fish and crabs, and thinks, Izzat ALL? No monsters ta kill? No forgotten loot? What a Fraggin WASTE. He fastens his NE-BA 26 Armor helmet back into place when he sees that he has to swim from one place to the next, trusting the environmental features of his armor to keep him safe.

As Bert examines the ship's engines, Zathark gets bored. "Well, Bert... I'mma go look fer some stuff ta steal. I'll be back."

Zathark then swims to the crew quarters, searching any lockers or trunks he finds. If any are locked, he will pick them, and claim anything of interest inside.

Pick Locks 50% 1d100: [35] = 35 (SUCCESS)

After he and Bert check out (and potentially loot) the Scarab, Zathark attempts to enjoy his time on the island. Few Psi-Goblins get the opportunity to enjoy a beachfront vacation, and Zathark knows this. Therefore, at any time he is not being harassed to do a job he will be found lounging in the sun, sipping drinks pilfered from Tillin's galley, smoking Cee-Gar brand cigars, burying his craggy toes in the sand, and idly taking potshots at larger sea creatures with his laser pistol from the safety of shore.

When he gets hot, he lumbers inside to hang out in the galley and eat. If he is asked to help move anything, or assist in any minor way with repairs to the Kibiko, he grudgingly complies, complaining all the while.

And during all this time, he schemes of ways to get his hands on one or more of his own action figures.
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 61/61
ISP: 38/48
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 51/90 MDC
User avatar
Dr. White
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Dr. White »

JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 , 1d100: [16] = 16
PER: 1d100: [23] = 23 , vs. 41%

Conditions:
RUE P. 172: 9m00s remaining, 150-foot area, can sense but not pinpoint hidden individuals.


Xenology: 1d100: [60] = 60 vs. 53%
To identify the species belonging to the remains.

White is like a kid in a candy store when he spots the fish- ”Ooooo! Native life forms! I wonder what color their blood is?” Not quite so foolhardy as to actually disturb anything so soon after landing (and before a proper risk assessment), White stays well out of jumping range and sighs. ”Ah. I suppose we’ll have to content ourselves with passive observation for now, won’t we? Oh well. Maybe there’ll be time for a proper vivisection later.” That reminds him of the others, and he radios in with his preliminary report ”Coast is clear, but don’t go swimming. Some of the local apex predators seem to be living, or at least hunting, nearby. Might be good eating for those of you who do that sort of thing.” After a minute or two of observing the local beasties, White jets off to complete his recon. He will land twice- once to perform a closer inspection of the seemingly deserted camp, and once to confirm the presence of the ley line. At the ley line, White will spend a few minutes pulling energy from the line and using empathy to see what he can sense- in particular, whether he can pick up any emotions belonging to higher lifeforms nearby. A crude presence sense for dangerous predators would also be nice. Then, he will use his ley line phasing to briefly teleport to each end of the ley line, staying aloft but just sweeping the local area for dimensional anomalies. Presumably finding none, he will fly or phase back to the atoll (whichever’s faster). At the deserted camp, he will take a few images of the bones and try to identify their species (or at least, whether they’re all from the same species), and give the area a thorough once-over for anything interesting the previous inhabitants might have left behind.

Eventually, White completes his patrol and various side-investigations, and returns to the ship. There, he reports to MOD, seemingly happy as a clam. ”Place is clear, although there’s an abandoned campsite on one of the islands to the southwest that suggests you all do not want to get stranded here. I don’t either, but I’d just be bored instead of dying of starvation. There’s also a ley line south of here- looks quiescent now, and I didn’t see any sign of it pulling in anything ornery. I’ll keep an eye on it- it’s close enough that I should be able to sense any spacetime wackiness.” When the time comes to help with the ship, White sighs again and glumly says ”Okay, but after we’re done I want to catalogue those specimens in the abandoned camp. Let’s get this over with.” Not needing to breathe, White exits his powered armor and simply walks along the ocean floor to the ship (if need be, shifting to ghost). If the scarab is light enough, White will try pushing it onto the island and out of the water. Otherwise, he’ll just get inside (one way or another), then use radio (or telepathy if need be) to contact Bert. ”Okie dokie, where d’you want me to start?”
For SCIENCE!
Force Field: 75/75; Power Armor Left Leg: 90/100
,
433/449

+6 initiative, +2 parry, +3 dodge for the first melee after danger occurs; cannot be surprise attacked
,
Eagle-like vision, and can see in total darkness
,
Automatically detects rifts, dimensional envelopes and pockets, four- and two-dimensional beings, astral travelers, and invisible energy essence of alien intelligences and entities. Range is one mile or line of sight, whichever is less.
,
Can negate any spell that directly targets the adept for 5 ISP per spell. Spells that create energies and magical weapons are unaffected.
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

<Rolls carry>

Physical shell:Think Idris Elba in Luther

Additional Effects
Sensory equipment (47%) 1d100<47: [12*] = 1 - locate the source of the radio signal and track other ships or life forms
Radio: Basic (72%) 1d100<72: [27*] = 1 - record and decipher the radio signal MOD heard earlier
Electronics: Basic (52%) 1d100<52: [66] = 0 - help Bert with ship repairs

MOD is sitting in the lounge with the other Reavers. He listens as they report on what they find.
The Machine wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:01 am"It's Bert, not sure where your getting Bertrand, but that's not my name."
The phantom cocks his head a little confused. "I always thought Bert was short for something. Bertnard? Bertholomew? Bertleby? Bertrude? I knew a turtle named Bertle, but you don't seem..." Ey trail off before snapping back to the topic at hand. "Anyway, upgrading the ship?"
The Machine wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:01 am"And maybe, It's gonna take me days to strip the Scarab of parts, and a majority of them have been submerged for who knows how long. I'll try, but it certainly isn't my priority."
MOD gives a Cheshire cat grin. "Of course. I want to have all three engines up and running first. And once we're back in FTL we can make my interfaces, a lab for the doc, an external lock on Zathark's quarters. Point being, I'd like you to salvage everything you can before we leave the atoll. Everything. We can catalog the parts afterwards and decide on upgrades to make. (I just want the interfaces to be the first upgrades on the queue.)"

Over the next couple of days, MOD spends most of eir time on the ship monitoring the radar and listening to the radar for the earlier signal. If it is not repeating the same message over and over again ey will make a couple of different recordings. If it is the same signal over and over again, ey will only use the sensors to try and track its source. As ey go about eir business fingers drum along the ship's surfaces repeating the beat. It's not music per se, but it's not a bad beat. Either way, as Bert and the others are on salvage duty, MOD will spend eir days tracking anyone approaching the ship. Ey will make attempts to decipher the signal and inform the team of any messages ey hear.

Once Bert has loaded the parts on to the Kibiko, MOD will assist with the installation as much as possible. After using eir powers to poorly solder a few wires connecting the engines, the phantom decides to leave the mechanical work to the experts and politely bows out. "Sorry, chief. I'll leave you to that, let me know when you need an extra spark, tho."
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: 42 days
Conditions:
  • Kibiko: 1/3 engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. The other two need repairs and parts.
  • Dorsal shuttle pod bay doors covered by welded on plated and bracing struts, can't be opened.
Three days later and Bert is at his wits end. MOD, the captain is sitting on the bridge doing sweet FA. When ey do 'help' ey just seem to make things worse. For a being made of light he certainly is piss poor welder. How is that even possible!?! The Doctor, for a smart guy, is next to useless and requires constant instruction and supervision unless he finds a way to make things more efficient and speed up the process. His procedural improvements are not even close to that. Zathark is actually kind of okay for the twenty three seconds that you can keep him focused on a task. Once those 23 precious seconds are done, well good luck getting him to do anything.

However Bert's worst enemy is the sand. Oh boy. What he would give right now for a nice clean mechanic's bay, one with no sand. No sand on the bottom of the lagoon making it hard to access the engines. No sand getting stirred up by them moving around the downed ship. No sand that takes forever to settle once it's been disturbed. No sand in the recovered components. No sand that seems to swallow his tools if he drops them. No sand that seem to get everywhere. He found some in his last meal, after he'd taken a shower.

Sand aside, progress has been made. Almost all the required engine parts have been removed and either drying on the island, or waiting to have the sand washed out.

MOD makes sense of the old school dash-dot format signals. It's like someone took standard dash-dot code and made it dumber. Not only dumber, but messier and sloppier. It actually kinda hurts MOD's feelings to see such a basic, yet useful, comms format debased like this. There are a bunch of comms operators out there somewhere that spend their days smack talking each other. It seems The Easties and Da Westiez have serious beef. Its the signal version of a neighbourhood graffiti tag war. Yet somehow dumber, less artful and even more pointless. There is one comms unit that just repeats "ESTEZ U R BUT DIC" (sic) for hours at a time. Pretty incredible considering that its probably a living being at the end of the signal dotting and dashing away feverishly. As for locating a source, there are multiple and they must be mobile. If MOD had to guess they must be able to move at least a couple of hundred clicks in a day.

Zathark's quest for loot on the downed ship turns up a few soaked cred cards (8,975 credits), a couple of Hartigal energy rifles (aka NE knock-offs) and a locker full of what looks and tastes like deliciously expensive rum. He does wonder why the ship was so completely and totally empty. It seems odd.

The Doctor determines several species among the bones on the beach. There are Human, Noro, Wolven, Catyr, and at least 7 others that he can't quite pin down yet. Mostly human though, so nothing very exiting to be honest.

Late in the afternoon MOD is on the bridge as usual, the other three Reavers are knee deep in the lagoon lifting out the last, and very delicate, engine part required. It will be added to the orderly collection of cleaned and uncleaned parts currently drying on the beach. Everyone one becomes aware of a large, bloody mawed, aggressively evil looking multi-eyed dog bounding its way towards you in the shallows. It's even wearing a collar and the sharper-eyed among you note there is a severed hand still attached to the lead. It appeared from nowhere and is disturbingly close. It must have stalked up through the murky water while the three of you were focused on the delicate grav-core bleed valve. There is no doubt, it's going to attack you.

Ugly attack Doggo

An atoll somewhere on Theora.
KJ4758 is one of a number of sandy islets on a continuous ring of coral reef enclosing a lagoon. The total land area of the islets is approximately 1 square mile (2.6 km2). The coral reef covers about 3,600 acres (15 km2). The lagoon is some 7 miles (11 km) across, covering an area of 22 square miles (57 km2). There are several small passages through the reef for boats, though there is no safe entry for large ships. At a latitude of 18 degrees south, KJ4758 enjoys a tropical climate but is exposed to severe tropical cyclones.Image
What are your intentions?

Roll initiative. The doggo will be in HTH range of Bert, Zathark and Doc within several seconds. Don't forget the heavy, yet delicate engine part you're holding. It's the doggo only, ignore the legs of other people in the pic
User avatar
Zathark
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Zathark »

Perception 29% 1d100: [42] = 42

JIC: 1d20: [3] = 3
JIC: 1d100: [87] = 87

Zathark gleefully gloms the cred card, rifles, and rum, and socks them away in his quarters on the Kibiko. Well I'll be a gloozark's scrote! Actual LOOT on this wreck!

It warms the miniature terror's heart almost enough to keep him from complaining when asked to do real work.

Almost.

Later, as he is carrying an engine part with Bert and Dr. White, he grumbles quite a bit. "From what I 'member I signed up fer killin', not fer luggin' shizz all over a island. This is too much like honest work fer my likin'."

When he sees the feral doogo-thing, he smiles.

"That's more like it! I was just gettin' hungry! Who knew this island had delivery? Set this thing down so's I can kill that food!"

Initiative: 1d20+3: [18]+3 = 21

APM: 6

Action 1: Set down whatever it is we're carrying.
Action 2: Draw Phase Sword
Action 3: Slash with Phase Sword 1d20+7: [4]+7 = 11 ; Damage 4d6: [6, 4, 4, 5] = 19
Action 4: Activate built-in force field (75 MDC)
Action 5: Slash with Phase Sword 1d20+7: [11]+7 = 18 ; Damage 4d6: [1, 5, 6, 2] = 14 "Here, doggo doggo doggo"
Action 6: Slash with Phase Sword 1d20+7: [11]+7 = 18 ; Damage 4d6: [5, 3, 4, 2] = 14

Parries (if needed): 1) None - carrying something big; 2) 1d20+5: [4]+5 = 9 ; 3) 1d20+5: [15]+5 = 20 ; 4) 1d20+5: [6]+5 = 11 ; 5) 1d20+5: [18]+5 = 23 ; 6) 1d20+5: [17]+5 = 22
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 61/61
ISP: 38/48
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 51/90 MDC
User avatar
Dr. White
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Dr. White »

JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 , 1d100: [100] = 100
PER: 1d100: [75] = 75 , vs. 41%

Xenology- 1d100: [51] = 51 vs. 53%
To try and identify the dog’s species.

White spends most of the time that he’s not helping with repairs examining bones. Practically fossils at this point. Even if the knowledge to be gained is of no practical use to anyone, he is still interested in whatever story the remains have to tell. Sadly, it’s a short one. All the Consortium’s greatest hits. Likely one of theirs, or some adjacent neutral power. Likely no-one of consequence in this neck of the woods. Oh well.

Things are otherwise uneventful, until the alien canine approaches. Assuming White feels the familiar tingle of danger, he sighs and says ”Oh, dear. Well, let’s see what the little psychopath can do. Maybe keep it distracted long enough for me to redirect those animal energies.” I wonder what species belongs to that hand? Oh! He calls out, ”I have dibs on the hand Zathark! Science, you know.” Deciding that one of the heavy lifters needs to make sure their new engine part stays intact, White largely stays where he is and continues the work of the excavation as he is able. If he gets any opportunities to lock eyes with the strange creature, he will try reaching out psionically to redirect it.


Initiative: 1d20+9: [7]+9 = 16 (assuming sixth sense applies)
APM: 6

All actions are primarily reserved for keeping the engine part secure (and ideally, finishing hauling it . If White can engage the dog without risking the part he will do so, as follows.

Attack 1: Hyponotic suggestion on the dog ((-6 ISP, not deducted)). ”There’s something extra-delicious on the other side of the island!”
Attack 2: Bio-manipulation- Blind on the dog, ((-10 ISP, not deducted)).
If, after that, the dog wanders into melee range still White will engage it appropriately- wielding his sword one-handed
Attack 3: Strike with vibro-sword- 1d20+5: [14]+5 = 19 to strike, 7d6: [5, 5, 3, 1, 5, 3, 6] = 28 MD.
Attack 4: Strike with vibro-sword- 1d20+5: [17]+5 = 22 to strike, 7d6: [2, 5, 4, 5, 2, 5, 4] = 27 MD.
Attack 5: Strike with vibro-sword- 1d20+5: [18]+5 = 23 to strike, 7d6: [2, 3, 5, 3, 5, 2, 3] = 23 MD.
Attack 6: Strike with vibro-sword- 1d20+5: [7]+5 = 12 to strike, 7d6: [4, 1, 4, 4, 4, 6, 1] = 24 MD.

Auto-parries: 1d20+7: [2]+7 = 9 , 1d20+7: [18]+7 = 25 , 1d20+7: [7]+7 = 14 , 1d20+7: [14]+7 = 21 , 1d20+7: [10]+7 = 17 , 1d20+7: [2]+7 = 9 , 1d20+7: [8]+7 = 15
Rolls courtesy of site crash
1d20+7: [13]+7 = 20 1d20+7: [12]+7 = 19
For SCIENCE!
Force Field: 75/75; Power Armor Left Leg: 90/100
,
433/449

+6 initiative, +2 parry, +3 dodge for the first melee after danger occurs; cannot be surprise attacked
,
Eagle-like vision, and can see in total darkness
,
Automatically detects rifts, dimensional envelopes and pockets, four- and two-dimensional beings, astral travelers, and invisible energy essence of alien intelligences and entities. Range is one mile or line of sight, whichever is less.
,
Can negate any spell that directly targets the adept for 5 ISP per spell. Spells that create energies and magical weapons are unaffected.
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

Perception (21%) 1d100<21: [95] = 0
JiC 1d20: [16] = 16 / 1d100: [68] = 68

Physical shell:Think Idris Elba in Luther

Effects
Computer operation (62%) 1d100<62: [12*] = 1
Computer programming (30%) 1d100<30: [88] = 0
Electronic counter measures (42%) 1d100<42: [84] = 0

The first day on the atoll is a comedy of errors. MOD shows eir lack of technical ability when trying to patch up the Kibiko. But hey, I'm captain of the ship. I'm supposed to be a useless prat that barks at orders at the useful twits. After that, ey spends the day trying to decipher the crude Morse code. The fact that it is so dumb makes the process harder, as MOD starts by assuming that the senders are using a more sophisticated code.

Reading the first deciphered message, MOD is at first disappointed. Ey has seen algae pools that have demonstrated more emotional range and intellectual depth. But after reading a few more, ey develops a sympathy for these stupid corporeals. It is similar to the way a child might get attached to aquarium fish. Ey enjoys they way they circle around the ocean sending out simple messages over and over, doing their thing. And there is something satisfying about the staccato rhythm of messages. It's almost poetic, if the poet had suffered a concussion from banging their head on the sharp metal corner of a table after huffing aerosol fumes.

And so on the second day, MOD starts to record more of these messages and start to collage them together. Ey cuts and splices the same message over and over again so that it sounds like the radio is stuttering, overdubs the messages to create textures that sound like an argument between warring factions, fiddles with the tuning so the messages warp into different sounds, and adds high-hats and a few other effects for good measure until it starts to resemble something close to music. It's not the most sophisticated track that MOD has heard, but then again it is an EDM remix of crude insults in cruder radio code. MOD is quite pleased with what ey has produced.

On the third day, MOD decides to promote eir work. Ey try to set up at new ultranet page to share some tracks and take orders, but cannot successfully add a music player and abandons the page before hitting the publish button. Instead ey decides to try just getting the track out by radio. M tries to make the message untraceable by relaying it off several communication satellites, but isn't sure if that worked out or not. Nonetheless the message is out there. Using the eir remix as background, ey announces, "Pwn your enemies by remixing your disses with DJ Massive Obi Driis. Show other fanbois you're biggest hater with custom tracks. MAKE ORDER DRIIS!"

With that taken care of, the phantom heads down to the cargo bay to itemize the parts that Bert and the crew have salvaged so far. Ey takes out a datapad and adds new parts to the slowly growing list. Along with that ey makes annotations on what those parts can be used for; anything that can be used to rebuild the engines is prioritized. Satisfied with the progress made, ey casually walks back to the bridge to see if eir message has gotten any replies. Instead, ey sees another life form near near Bert, Doc, and Zathark. Ey cannot immediately identify the creature or any other signs of life on the atoll. Ey grabs the radio and calls the team. "I'm spotting something odd on the sensors by you. Need assistance?"
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
The Machine
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by The Machine »

Perception: 1d100: [44] = 44 /49%
Just in Case: 1d20: [16] = 16 ; 1d100: [69] = 69
Conditions: None.

HP: 30/30
S.D.C.: 22/22
I.S.P.: 35/35
P.P.E.: 137/127
Armor of Ithan: 60/60


Initiative: 1d20: [18] = 18
Number of Attacks: 4

Action One: Activate Armor of Ithan (10 P.P.E.; M.D.C.: 60; 6 minutes)
Action Two: Draw TW Shard Pistol.
Action Three: Fire Pistol at beast. (Strike: 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 ; Damage: 3d4: [4, 1, 2] = 7 M.D.)
Action Four: Fire Pistol at beast. (Strike: 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 ; Damage: 3d4: [3, 1, 1] = 5 M.D.)

Parries as needed: 1d20+3: [12]+3 = 15 , 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4 , 1d20+3: [7]+3 = 10 , 1d20+3: [9]+3 = 12 .
Dodges if ranged attack, or Armor is at 50%: 1d20+3: [10]+3 = 13 , 1d20+3: [2]+3 = 5 , 1d20+3: [18]+3 = 21 , 1d20+3: [17]+3 = 20 .



Bert looks at the beast as it approaches. "Well frak." Bert says as he channels the energy necessary into the circuits in his suit to empower his Armor of Ithan force field. Bert fairly calmly draws his pistol and thumbs the safety, before firing shards of ice at the creature. No sense in using expensive ammo. Especially with people in the possible blast radius. Bert thinks to himself.
They call me The Machine.
"When one wants to not be caught, one should have a cover identity that is very different to themselves." ~Burt.
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: 42 days, less then minute since the last post
Conditions:
  • Kibiko: 1/3 engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. The other two need repairs and parts.
  • Dorsal shuttle pod bay doors covered by welded on plated and bracing struts, can't be opened.
With the dog approaching fast, and just about close enough to lunge at the three Void Reavers in the shallows, Zathark sets down his side of the engine. He even does so carefully by his standards. Bert activates his Armor of Ithan, so he and Doc White are taking most of the engine part's weight. With his hands full Doc hypnotically suggests something delicious way over there to the dog. One can never be sure about these things in the moment, but the Doctor gets the impression that his suggestion has bounced off the mind of the dog. Perhaps it is in an enraged state or something similar and it's entire being is focused on one specific thing at this point in time.

Zathark draws his sword and Bert draws his pistol, leaving White to take the weight. The Doctor attempts to blind the lunging beast while it's in mid air. It feels like it works, but the dog doesn't seem all that phased by suddenly being blinded. The dog barrels into Bert, who tries to dodge. His dodge is unsuccessful, but he manages to keep his feet. Then something unexpected and horrific happens, while growling snapping at Bert with its mouth the Dog starts humping the air. The damned thing is trying to hump Bert's leg! Thank goodness it's been blinded and has to locate something to love by its sense of smell and or touch.

Zathark stabs it with his phase sword and Bert shoots it at point blank range, while the Doc places the engine down to draw his sword. the dog snaps at Zathark after the blow, but for the most part is thrusting its hips frantically in an effort to find Bert's leg. Bert shoots it again and Doc and Zathark stab and slash at it. After several more blows the thing falls to the ground - dead.

Before they can process what just happened and the indignity that Bert just avoided, they hear an ugly in-human scream from just down the beach. They look over and see a humanoid running and stumbling through the shallows. The humanoid is holding the bloody stump of a hand and wailing terribly. A little further out in the water you can see the dorsal fin of a large aquatic predator racing toward the beach. It turns away suddenly, probably because the water gets too shallow close in. It starts to patrol up and down the beach.

Then they hear what is mostly likely an ugly and cruel sound of laughter. Yes, out in the lagoon you can see the heads of four humanoids bobbing in the water. The seem to be laughing and pointing at the poor hand-less fellow on the beach. It doesn't take a xeno-athropogical specialist to see that these guys find this situation absolutely hilarious. Two of the figures stop laughing, raise out of the water and head towards Bert, Doc and Zathark. They don't have any obvious sign of flight propulsion and Bert suspects their flight is magical in nature.

A safe distance out they stop and in mid air hail the Void Reavers in an hideous sounding, guttural and throaty language. Those of you in NE armor, or with a decent language translator, have the following translation for 'Species: Water Ruffian 3':

"Oi! Who the fk are you chums? And what the fk are you doing on our fkn atoll?"
"Yeah! Any why you kill the captain's fkn dog?" The other one adds.

Back on the bridge, MOD notes that just after he sent out his signal the dash-dot smack talk pretty much stopped not long after.

An atoll somewhere on Theora.
KJ4758 is one of a number of sandy islets on a continuous ring of coral reef enclosing a lagoon. The total land area of the islets is approximately 1 square mile (2.6 km2). The coral reef covers about 3,600 acres (15 km2). The lagoon is some 7 miles (11 km) across, covering an area of 22 square miles (57 km2). There are several small passages through the reef for boats, though there is no safe entry for large ships. At a latitude of 18 degrees south, KJ4758 enjoys a tropical climate but is exposed to severe tropical cyclones.Image
What are your intentions?

love is in the air
who does the dog lunge at?
1,2 = Bert
3,4 = White
5,6 = Zathark
1d6: [2] = 2

The two airborne ruffians are 100 ft away and 10 ft above the water. They are armed, but don't have weapons drawn at the moment. The hand-less one is 150ft down the beach. He is sitting down, rocking back and forward while wailing and holding his stump. The other two you can see are still bobbing up and down in the water and looking towards you. They are presumably ready to give covering fire if things turn hostile.
User avatar
Dr. White
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Dr. White »

JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 , 1d100: [5] = 5
PER: 1d100: [75] = 75 , vs. 41%

Having taken off his powered armor to do the work, White doesn’t quite get the aliens’ muttering- though their intent is clear. Hmmm… Do we try to talk our way out of this or just get to stabbing? He considers his options. MOD is still back at the ship. Bert is… taciturn, at best, and probably not the right guy to negotiate with alien pirates. Zathark is definitely not the right guy to negotiate, with anyone. Crap. In a low voice to the others, he says ”Anybody got a language translator they can loan me?” Assuming the answer is yes, White does so and launches into his spiel (if the answer is no, he’ll pick a likely trade tongue that he knows and try his luck).

”Greetings, fellow sentients. We are the V- uh, Void Riders! We’re just here collecting a little salvage. I was told this atoll is unclaimed- really, you gentle, uh, men simply must work on your signage. As it is, we were minding our business when your dog attacked. I of course tried to find a non-violent solution, but the goblin here, well, you know how those people are. I’m a doctor you see. And a scientist! Anyway, we’re just about done here, so in the interests of honoring your claim we can be on our way and leave you to the rest of your atoll. I tell you what- I’ll even sweeten the pot! Being a skilled physician I’m sure I can reattach your friend’s hand. After that, we’ll be on our way. So, do we have a deal?”

If they attack, or the moment they turn down White’s offer of a peaceful solution, he puts his main plan into action, teleporting on top of one of the Horune and commencing with the stabbing.

Initiative: 1d20+3: [18]+3 = 21
APM: 6

Action 1: White will use dimensional leap ((-10 ISP, not deducted)) to teleport himself above (and slightly behind) one of the flying Horune.
Action 2: Commence vivisection! 1d20+5: [4]+5 = 9 to strike, 7d6: [4, 4, 6, 3, 2, 4, 3] = 26 MD.
Action 3: Commence vivisection! 1d20+5: [19]+5 = 24 to strike, 7d6: [1, 4, 5, 5, 5, 1, 5] = 26 MD.
Action 4: Commence vivisection! 1d20+5: [14]+5 = 19 to strike, 7d6: [6, 4, 2, 3, 6, 1, 5] = 27 MD.
Action 5: Commence vivisection! 1d20+5: [7]+5 = 12 to strike, 7d6: [2, 4, 6, 3, 1, 4, 4] = 24 MD.
Action 6: Commence vivisection! 1d20+5: [15]+5 = 20 to strike, 7d6: [5, 3, 5, 4, 1, 5, 4] = 27 MD.

Auto-parries: 1d20+7: [11]+7 = 18 , 1d20+7: [8]+7 = 15 , 1d20+7: [19]+7 = 26 , 1d20+7: [14]+7 = 21 , 1d20+7: [11]+7 = 18 , 1d20+7: [2]+7 = 9
For SCIENCE!
Force Field: 75/75; Power Armor Left Leg: 90/100
,
433/449

+6 initiative, +2 parry, +3 dodge for the first melee after danger occurs; cannot be surprise attacked
,
Eagle-like vision, and can see in total darkness
,
Automatically detects rifts, dimensional envelopes and pockets, four- and two-dimensional beings, astral travelers, and invisible energy essence of alien intelligences and entities. Range is one mile or line of sight, whichever is less.
,
Can negate any spell that directly targets the adept for 5 ISP per spell. Spells that create energies and magical weapons are unaffected.
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

Perception (21%) 1d100<21: [87] = 0
JiC 1d20: [15] = 15 / 1d100: [15] = 15

Physical shell:Think Idris Elba in Luther

Effects
Sensory equipment (47%) 1d100<47: [84] = 0 - Scan the atoll for the Reavers and other people (and their alien pets)
[roll=21179]Sensory equipment (47%) 1d100<47[/roll]: [22*] = 1 [/roll]* - Scan the area around the atoll
Sensory equipment (42%) 1d100<42: [80] = 0 ** - Send masked message to Bert


MOD has enjoyed the radio chatter. Ey listens to it as ey catalogs the equipment salvaged on the atoll. Ey listen to it as ey check on the team using the scanners. And then in a moment of 'inspired' madness, ey made a remix of some of the chatter and advertised eir work. Just after sending the signal, ey turn to the scanners to check on the gang. And as the phantom chugs along with the scanners ey taps on the console to repeat the messages. Then ey notices that there is no beat to tap along to. Don't birds get quiet before a hurricane? But those aren't birds, and the hurricane is not on track to hit the atoll. Oh, right, the birds are a metaphor for something bad. Ey switches to the larger band and scans the area around the atoll for any ships moving in the area.

Once ey have a read on the traffic around the atoll, ey will check back on the other Reavers. Ey sends a masked radio message to Bert, "Hey, anything weird going on by you?" Ey will follow this query by relaying what have detected on the sensors.

* I don't know why it copied the roll code for the first sensory equipment skill check, I meant to just copy the text of the check and reenter that into the dice roller.
** Which I did this time, but then forgot to change 'Sensory equipment' to 'Electronic countermeasures'. This skill has a 42% success rate. I just could not copy and paste properly with the dice roller tonight.
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
Zathark
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Zathark »

Perception 29% 1d100: [12] = 12

JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12
JIC: 1d100: [32] = 32
Dr. White wrote:”I have dibs on the hand Zathark! Science, you know.”
"Fine! YOU eat the hand, I'LL eat the DOG!"

The diminutive psychopath sets to work killing the amorous pet - he does notice that the dog is not violent, but by that point he'd already set his laser-like focus on killing the thing. He doesn't even have the good manners to feel badly about doing it.
water ruffian wrote:"Oi! Who the fk are you chums? And what the fk are you doing on our fkn atoll?"
"Yeah! Any why you kill the captain's fkn dog?"
Before Zathark can reply, Dr. White approaches and tries some sort of diplomacy with them. Zathark's first thought was:

I killed the dog! I did it because I WANTED to!

But with Dr. White leading the conversation, Zathark stands back. holding his phase sword - still dripping alien dog blood. Just a little peek into his mind, and...

Wanna lick it...

NOPE. Let's give him a moment alone with his thoughts.
Dr. White wrote:”Greetings, fellow sentients. We are the V- uh, Void Riders! We’re just here collecting a little salvage. I was told this atoll is unclaimed- really, you gentle, uh, men simply must work on your signage."
"Yeah! Void Riders! And, uh... I'm... uh... I'm Kickmaster Smashington the Third! Of the Axis V Smashingtons!"

"And YEAH! Signage!"
Dr. White wrote:"... but the goblin here, well, you know how those people are."
"YEAH! Wait, what?"
Dr. White wrote:"...After that, we’ll be on our way. So, do we have a deal?”
"What did you mean 'those people'?"

Zathark looks at Dr. White., murmuring. "I oughtta eat yer face."
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 61/61
ISP: 38/48
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 51/90 MDC
User avatar
The Machine
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by The Machine »

Perception: 1d100: [45] = 45 /49%
Just in Case: 1d20: [13] = 13 ; 1d100: [73] = 73
Conditions: None.

HP: 30/30
S.D.C.: 22/22
I.S.P.: 35/35
P.P.E.: 137/127
Armor of Ithan: 60/60 Duration: 5:45


Initiative: 1d20: [18] = 18
Number of Attacks: 4

Action One: Fire Pistol at pirates. (Strike: 1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9 ; Damage: 3d4: [2, 4, 1] = 7 M.D.)
Action Two: Fire Pistol at pirates. (Strike: 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 ; Damage: 3d4: [1, 1, 2] = 4 M.D.)
Action Three: Fire Pistol at pirates. (Strike: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 ; Damage: 3d4: [3, 4, 4] = 11 M.D.)
Action Four: Fire Pistol at pirates. (Strike: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 ; Damage: 3d4: [1, 2, 3] = 6 M.D.)

Parries as needed: 1d20+3: [14]+3 = 17 , 1d20+3: [2]+3 = 5 , 1d20+3: [6]+3 = 9 , 1d20+3: [12]+3 = 15 .
Dodges if ranged attack, or Armor is at 50%: 1d20+3: [14]+3 = 17 , 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4 , 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11 .



Bert looks at the aliens and shrugs. "Sorry mates, can't understand a word you're saying." Bert says in Trade 4. Why would they think we understand their garbage language. Bert thinks annoyingly. When MOD radios the group. "Got most of the parts out, but there are some fishy folk who don't speak civilized languages, maybe threatening us." Bert replies.

If the Pirates get rough, Bert starts firing his pistol at them.
They call me The Machine.
"When one wants to not be caught, one should have a cover identity that is very different to themselves." ~Burt.
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: 42 days, a couple of mintues since the last post. The sun is starting to set and its about 6pm local time.

Conditions:
  • Kibiko: 1/3 engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. The other two need repairs and parts.
  • Dorsal shuttle pod bay doors covered by welded on plated and bracing struts, can't be opened.
Dr. White wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:33 am ”Greetings, fellow sentients. We are the V- uh, Void Riders! We’re just here collecting a little salvage. I was told this atoll is unclaimed- really, you gentle, uh, men simply must work on your signage. As it is, we were minding our business when your dog attacked. I of course tried to find a non-violent solution, but the goblin here, well, you know how those people are. I’m a doctor you see. And a scientist! Anyway, we’re just about done here, so in the interests of honoring your claim we can be on our way and leave you to the rest of your atoll. I tell you what- I’ll even sweeten the pot! Being a skilled physician I’m sure I can reattach your friend’s hand. After that, we’ll be on our way. So, do we have a deal?”
As soon as the doctor greets the aliens, one of them holds up a hand, as if asking him to stop, rummages through their pockets, finds a little something and then puts that thing in their ear. They then motion to continue.

"Grapllle owh roh sqkk hen lop" Says the one without an ear piece.
"THE PONCY BALD ONE SAYS THEY ARE THE ROID EATERS... MAYBE THEY GOT A THING FOR HEMORRHOIDS... I DUNNO. FKING ALIENS MAN, I TELL YA... BETTER NOT TELL THEM ABOUT 'LOW RANKING SAILOR - EXPENDABLE: CHUDDA', HUH? HE HE .... THEY HAVE A GOBLIN DOCTOR. HE WANTS TO PUT THE CADET'S HAND IN A SWEET POT AND COOK IT, THEN PUT IT BACK ON." replies the one with the translator and voice amplification unit. It seems he doesn't really know how to work it.
"Strumpf!?! smesh nof roh grapllle wak?"
"YEH, I HAVE NO FKN IDEA HOW THAT WORKS EITHER. PONCY BALD CHUM SEEMS CONFIDENT THOUGH. PLUS, I DON'T GIVE A FK ABOUT THAT VOID TRAVERSING SHIP. ITS NOT LIKE WE'RE GUNNA USE IT."
"Grsh e y grapllle nout?"
"YEH, I SUPPOSE SO."

The one with the translator changes a setting or something because he goes silent for a few moments. It's all a bit confusing because it does look like he's trying to talk to the Void Reavers. The other one hits him on the arm and points to his ear. The one with the translator changes a setting again.

FK! FKN THING! NEVER WORKS RIGHT. SO, AS I WAS SAYING. YA CAN FIX THE HAND OF THE CADET. BUT YA GOTTA DO IT TOMORROW. WE'VE GOT IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO TONIGHT. FULL MOONS AND THE SWELL'S FKN PERFECT TONIGHT AND WE'RE GUNNA GO SURFIN. WE'RE HAVING A BARBECUE AND IF YOU GOT A GOBLIN ON YA CREW YOUS ARE ALRIGHT BY US. YOU WILL JOIN US! WE EVEN HAVE SLAVES TO THROW ON THE BARBIE.

I AM 'LOW RANKING SAILOR - NON EXPENDABLE: HURK SNERK'. I INVOKE RIGHT OF PASSAGE AND ENJOYMENT, DURATION: NOW UNTIL DAWN. AFTER WHICH YOU WILL COOK AND REATTACH CADETS MISSING HAND. AFTER WHICH WE GO OUR OWN PATHS. I HAVE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE AND RECREATIONAL DRUGS TO CONSUME AND MOST IMPORTANTLY FKN WAVES TO CATCH. DO YOU ACCEPT? YES? LET US GO NOW?"


What are your intentions?


An atoll somewhere on Theora.
KJ4758 is one of a number of sandy islets on a continuous ring of coral reef enclosing a lagoon. The total land area of the islets is approximately 1 square mile (2.6 km2). The coral reef covers about 3,600 acres (15 km2). The lagoon is some 7 miles (11 km) across, covering an area of 22 square miles (57 km2). There are several small passages through the reef for boats, though there is no safe entry for large ships. At a latitude of 18 degrees south, KJ4758 enjoys a tropical climate but is exposed to severe tropical cyclones.Image
GM notes
The two airborne ruffians are 100 ft away and 10 ft above the water. They are armed, but don't have weapons drawn at the moment. The hand-less one is 150ft down the beach. He is sitting down, rocking back and forward while wailing and holding his stump. The other two you can see are still bobbing up and down in the water and looking towards you. They are presumably ready to give covering fire if things turn hostile.

Failure to accept Herk Snerk's offer could possibly result in a firefight. It really depends on how you do it and whims of the GM
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

Perception (21%) 1d100<21: [37] = 0
JiC 1d20: [10] = 10 / 1d100: [89] = 89

Physical shell:Think Idris Elba in Luther

Effects
Sensory equipment (47%) 1d100<47: [84] = 0
Bert wrote:"Got most of the parts out, but there are some fishy folk who don't speak civilized languages, maybe threatening us."
MOD perks up. Eerie radio silence is a later problem; pirates on the shore is a now problem. Ey grabs the radio and responds, "Need me for backup? Or negotiations?"

If any of the Reavers tell MOD to join them, ey will quickly check the scanners one more time for any traffic and then jog towards the beach. Ey keeps in eir current physical shell. Ey doesn't know these pirates and doesn't want to reveal that ey is a phantom. Plus the current shell is relatively unknown, so harder to track.

If no one replies, or ey is told to stay, MOD continues to monitor the scanners.
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
Dr. White
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Dr. White »

JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 , 1d100: [6] = 6
PER: 1d100: [1] = 1 , vs. 41%

Xenology- 1d100: [42] = 42 vs. 53%
Looking for stuff that won’t poison the Horune.

With Bert updating MOD it falls to White to be the diplomat of the group. Oh, dear. At least he remembers to keep his hands away from his weapons and in clear view (not that that’ll help the Horune against a phase adept).
Zathark wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:59 am"What did you mean 'those people'?"
White dismissively shushes the psi-goblin. ”Hush, not now. The adults are talking.”
Zathark wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:59 amZathark looks at Dr. White., murmuring. "I oughtta eat yer face."
Without missing a beat, White murmurs back ”Better get a stepstool, you little rodent.”
Death and Gravity wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 amFK! FKN THING! NEVER WORKS RIGHT. SO, AS I WAS SAYING. YA CAN FIX THE HAND OF THE CADET. BUT YA GOTTA DO IT TOMORROW. WE'VE GOT IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO TONIGHT. FULL MOONS AND THE SWELL'S FKN PERFECT TONIGHT AND WE'RE GUNNA GO SURFIN. WE'RE HAVING A BARBECUE AND IF YOU GOT A GOBLIN ON YA CREW YOUS ARE ALRIGHT BY US. YOU WILL JOIN US! WE EVEN HAVE SLAVES TO THROW ON THE BARBIE.
White immediately brightens. ”Oooo, what fun! We’d be delighted to take you up on your invitation- just let us get this engine part back to our ship and we’ll be all yours! In fact, if you want to help us with the heavy lifting, we’d be able to start the party sooner! Whaddya say?” Should Zathark object to being at the center of a non-violent resolution to the situation, White will hiss ”Just play along- unless you wanna fight ‘em all by yourself.” And to no-one in particular, he adds ”And just think of the potential for scientific research!”
Death and Gravity wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 amI AM 'LOW RANKING SAILOR - NON EXPENDABLE: HURK SNERK'. I INVOKE RIGHT OF PASSAGE AND ENJOYMENT, DURATION: NOW UNTIL DAWN. AFTER WHICH YOU WILL COOK AND REATTACH CADETS MISSING HAND. AFTER WHICH WE GO OUR OWN PATHS. I HAVE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE AND RECREATIONAL DRUGS TO CONSUME AND MOST IMPORTANTLY FKN WAVES TO CATCH. DO YOU ACCEPT? YES? LET US GO NOW?"
White bows. ”My name is Doctor. Doctor White. I, uh, accept and also invoke right of passage and enjoyment. ‘til dawn it is! Let us commence! Now. What kinds of drugs do you have, and how many work on Promethean physiology?” Should the Horune respond with any variation of ‘they don’t know’ White will clap his hands. ”Wonderful! Time for some field research! It’s been so many years since I’ve been in a clinical trial.” Should I be worried about performing surgery on this fellow’s hand tomorrow? Eh, what’s the worst that could happen.

Almost as an afterthought (and having not paid much attention to the details of Bert and MOD’s conversation), he radios MOD. ”Captain, these nice fellows down by the beach have invited us to a party. With drugs! I’ll help get the engine back, and then I’ll be sampling their hospitality. I don’t suppose we have any appropriate party favors with which to barter? I would so hate to be rude, you know.”

Regardless, if the Horune let them get back to work White will hop to it, eager to get the engine on board their ship before the Horune change their minds about not fighting the team. After that, he’ll do a quick circuit of the ship looking for anything to eat or drink that he could plausibly bring to the party- doesn’t have to be a lot, just has to be something the good doctor is reasonably sure won’t poison Horune. He knows the state of the group’s supplies though, so if he doesn’t find anything they can easily part with, and has to show up empty-handed, so be it. When he gets a chance, he’ll murmur to Bert ”Maybe get a move on on those engine repairs. I’m not entirely sure how long this bunch is going to stay friendly, and we may need to leave in a hurry.” And then what? Find some black marketeer I guess. Shouldn’t be too hard, how big could this mud ball be anyway?
For SCIENCE!
Force Field: 75/75; Power Armor Left Leg: 90/100
,
433/449

+6 initiative, +2 parry, +3 dodge for the first melee after danger occurs; cannot be surprise attacked
,
Eagle-like vision, and can see in total darkness
,
Automatically detects rifts, dimensional envelopes and pockets, four- and two-dimensional beings, astral travelers, and invisible energy essence of alien intelligences and entities. Range is one mile or line of sight, whichever is less.
,
Can negate any spell that directly targets the adept for 5 ISP per spell. Spells that create energies and magical weapons are unaffected.
User avatar
Zathark
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Zathark »

Perception 29% 1d100: [75] = 75

JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12
JIC: 1d100: [84] = 84
Dr. White wrote:”Better get a stepstool, you little rodent.”
"Won't need one. You'll be sleepin'."
alien guy wrote:"THEY HAVE A GOBLIN DOCTOR. HE WANTS TO PUT THE CADET'S HAND IN A SWEET POT AND COOK IT, THEN PUT IT BACK ON."
Zathark merely laughs at this. Little does he know that his eensy mind will be rumble-tumbled by the next thing he hears.
Alien guy wrote:"...IF YOU GOT A GOBLIN ON YA CREW YOUS ARE ALRIGHT BY US."
As a side note, usually sentences that begin "if you got a goblin on your crew" are not ended with positive sentiments. Let's look at the metaphysical archives of Zathark's people for some examples:

Code: Select all

"If you're palling around with Goblins I'm gonna put a frag grenade in your mouth!"

"If I catch you hanging around with Goblins I'll disown you!"

"If that Goblin is on your team then you can fly your asses back to Camulus 7 because I do NOT have the insurance for that!"

"Is that a goblin with you?  Gross."
In fact, there have been so many iterations of these and similar sentiments that it is a genetically ingrained into their Jungian collective unconscious. This is not to say those sentiments were wrong or unearned. Only that there have been many of them.

Let us return to the moment at hand:

If you got a Goblin on Ya Crew

"HEY! YA BLERG-SMELCHIN RAT-ASS..."

Yous are alright by us

"...I OUGHTTA wait what?"

If you got a goblin on ya crew... yous are alright by us

"What... What does he mean by that? Izzat some kinda dig at me?"

If you got a goblin on ya crew yous are alright by us

"If... wait are you saying... Wait do you mean you ... you LIKE goblins?"

He turns to Dr. White. "Izzat... izzat a thing? D-Does that happen?"

Genuinely perplexed, he almost misses that they have invoked a rite of passage and enjoyment, and offer up their drugs and liquor. Almost.

And in this moment, when a stranger has expressed, for the first time in this miserable little snot-bag's life, both an affection for, and desire to spend time with, a Psi-Goblin (of all creatures), Zathark's heart feels a new feeling:

Warmth.

He almost doesn't know what to make of it.

"Uhh... yeah." he says, sure that it must be some joke at his expense. "Let's party."

Just try me, Smeg-felchers. I'll gut ya before ya can laugh at yer own joke. Unless... yer not jokin'. I guess.
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 61/61
ISP: 38/48
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 51/90 MDC
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

<Rolls carry>
Dr. White wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 am"Captain, these nice fellows down by the beach have invited us to a party. With drugs! I’ll help get the engine back, and then I’ll be sampling their hospitality. I don’t suppose we have any appropriate party favors with which to barter? I would so hate to be rude, you know."
Before MOD manages to get off the bridge, ey receives another radio message, this time from Dr. White. Ey stops at the door and goes back to the console. Well if they sound friendly, then I won't need to put on the PA. Ey smiles, both because the Reavers aren't caught in another firefight (at least not yet), and at the prospect of beach party shenanigans.

"Sounds good Doc. Bring the parts back and then I'll accompany you to the party."

When the team gets back to the Kibiko MOD looks at the collected parts and asks Bert, "So can we get everything assembled before the party? I'd like the option of getting off the atoll at the moment things get wiggy." Assuming that the estimate is much longer, MOD sighs. "Well, can't do much as is. Alright, you all want to get ripped? Let's go then."
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
The Machine
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by The Machine »

Perception: 1d100: [80] = 80 /49%
Just in Case: 1d20: [18] = 18 ; 1d100: [93] = 93
Conditions: None.

HP: 30/30
S.D.C.: 22/22
I.S.P.: 35/35
P.P.E.: 137/127


Bert watches the weirdness that seems to follow the crew around manifest yet again, this time in the form of alien pirates who have just invited the group to a party. Bert shakes his head and sighs inside his helmet. "What's another day I guess." Bert says aloud finally. The parts need to dry out first, then I'll have to clean them of sand... so much work to take care of. Bert makes sure the last part is fully out of the water, before following the Pirates to parts unknown of the Atoll.
They call me The Machine.
"When one wants to not be caught, one should have a cover identity that is very different to themselves." ~Burt.
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: 42 days. Its about 19:30 local time. The sun has set and the party is starting.

Conditions:
  • Kibiko: 1/3 engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. The other two need repairs and parts.
  • Dorsal shuttle pod bay doors covered by welded on plated and bracing struts, can't be opened.
A warm gentle ocean breeze passes across the lagoon as the Void Reavers accept the unexpected offer of festivities. The sun slowly dips below the horizon and even the most oblivious among you can't help appreciate the beauty of the scene. The gentle breeze, the calming sound of the ocean waves, the surprisingly agreeable sounds of sea birds passing overhead, the feel of the sand beneath your feet. The majestic rays being thrown out by the setting sun are glorious. Even the hand less alien further down the beach has stopped shrieking, the carcass of the Captain's dead dog has stopped venting gas. The incredibly ugly, and rather menacing, aliens seem to have increased in numbers. Although, they do have their weapons holstered or slung over shoulders, which makes it all slightly less alarming. At the command of Hurk Snerk another half dozen appeared from out of the water and busy themselves loading the array of engine parts into the Kibiko. Bert finds that he can gently guide the 'helpers' by just pointing where he wants stuff placed in the hold. All in all, they do an okay job.

While this is going on Hurk Snerk and a few others busy themselves hunting down, cornering and then killing one of the large lagoon predators. Dead, it floats to the surface and they sit on it, apparently enjoying alcoholic beverage while the other water ruffians finish loading up the ship.

The hand less chap unsteadily approaches the Void Reavers. He is clearly younger than the rest of the other pirates you've seen. He clears his throat to get your attention.

"Excuse me. Could I have my hand?" He asks in heavily accented Trade Four.

"I really should put that on ice." He thinks for a second or two.

"Which one of you is the doctor? you spoke too fast and I was, um not dealing well with the pain at the time. Is it really a good idea to cook my hand before attempting to reattach it?" He asks politely. Judging from his manners and knowledge of Trade Four he seems like a rather different kind of fish compared to the rest of the crew.

Once the ship is loaded a floating skiff appears and speeds across the lagoon surface. Bert knows immediately that this is some kind of Techno-Wizardry vehicle. The skiff stops beside the floating carcass in the lagoon. Several ruffians with chainsaw start dismembering the body and large chunk after large chunk of fish flesh is thrown onto the open deck of the skiff. After several minutes of frenzied chainsaw carnage the pile on the deck is impressively large. As is the amount of blood in the water. Apparently satisfied they have enough meat the skiff approaches the Kibiko and the loading team jumps on. Hurk Snerk motions for the Reavers to jump on.

A cooler at one end of the skiff is opened and beers passed around. With some space in the cooler the hands less guy puts his hand in the ice. The others laugh and mock him. It feels like the party is starting right now. There is another box being passed around, it contains an impressive amount and quantity of recreational substances. It seems it's a 'help yourself' kind of situation. The vibe on the skiff relaxes as the pirates enjoy sinking their first drink of the night. The skiff shoots across the lagoon and reaches the island Doc found earlier with fire pits and cages. Once there the pirates jump off, cheering and hollering. They all seem to run off in their own to do their own thing. A lot of them head straight to the beach to check out the waves. Even for those of you know know nothing about surfing or waves, these do look beautiful. Others start making fires, some head over to the cages to poke and prod the captives.

Hurk Snerk looks at the group and turns on his translator and voice amplifier. "RIGHT OF PASSAGE AND ENJOYMENT, DURATION: NOW UNTIL DAWN." His amp unit shouts at you even though your just meters from him. He digs around in his pockets and pull out similar looking units and hands them out to the Void Reavers.

"THESE WILL HELP YOU, NOW YOU CAN TALK TO ALL OF US! WHOA, THOSE WAVES.... SURFS UP!" He sets off down the beach towards a collection of surf boards, he grabs one and heads out into the surf.


What are your intentions?


An atoll somewhere on Theora.
KJ4758 is one of a number of sandy islets on a continuous ring of coral reef enclosing a lagoon. The total land area of the islets is approximately 1 square mile (2.6 km2). The coral reef covers about 3,600 acres (15 km2). The lagoon is some 7 miles (11 km) across, covering an area of 22 square miles (57 km2). There are several small passages through the reef for boats, though there is no safe entry for large ships. At a latitude of 18 degrees south, KJ4758 enjoys a tropical climate but is exposed to severe tropical cyclones.Image
GM notes
It's party time. How lit you guys get is up to you. It's fair to assume that there will be something in the box of fun that will get your character wasted. There is a lot of variety in kinds of substance and levels of potency. So, I guess it's time to mingle? Or are you gunna be ONE OF THOSE CREWS that just sticks together joined at the hip?
User avatar
Dr. White
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Dr. White »

JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 , 1d100: [48] = 48
PER: 1d100: [45] = 45 , vs. 41%

Medical Doctor Diagnosis (JIC)- 1d100: [29] = 29 vs. 68%
I realize the diagnosis is likely self-evident at this point, but the book says to include one so…
Medical Doctor Surgery- 1d100: [71] = 71 vs. 58%
To reattach the hand.
Xenology- 1d100: [56] = 56 vs. 53%
Anything that might assist with surgery.
Zathark wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:03 am"Won't need one. You'll be sleepin'."
”Nobody sleeps when you’re around. It’s the smell. And I say that as a gent with no nose.”
Zathark wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:03 am"If... wait are you saying... Wait do you mean you ... you LIKE goblins?"He turns to Dr. White. "Izzat... izzat a thing? D-Does that happen?"
White is similarly baffled, lifting his hands and shrugging helplessly as he replies ”I mean, I guess statistically it has to happen sometime, right? How… unnerving.” Then his face brightens ”And fascinating! I must journal this discovery. For science!” ”Entry: Eureka! Horunes actually claim to enjoy the company of Goblins! Besides further study to evaluate the preposterousness of such claims, think of the possible explanations and their potential applications! Pheromones! Some sort of twisted psycho-sadomasochistic fixation! Or even livestock- think of it, practically one step removed from sentient carrion eaters. What a finding!”

White chatters excitedly to himself for a few minutes, then gets back to work with the engine- with the unexpected but wholly welcome help of Horune pirates. ”Thanks chaps! And to you, sir! Now, let’s have a look at this hand situation.” White decides to take the young pirate into the ship’s medical bay- he may be psychotic, but even he is not so crazy as to perform surgery on a beach. He sets his patient down, gets out what medical gear can be got, and eyes the patient, the limb, and the hand. ”Okay- I’m going to use a combination of the good old-fashioned scientific method, and potent psionic powers. This’ll take a few minutes- if you want I can knock you out.” If the pirate agrees to the latter, White will hit him with bio-manipulation: stun, but otherwise he’ll get to work. He’ll first meditate to perform a psychic diagnosis ((-4 ISP)) for 2d4: [1, 1] = 2 melees, then try psychic surgery ((-14 ISP)) after 2d6: [4, 6] = 10 minutes of meditation. While he likely can’t psychically fuse the hand to the wrist, he can use it to augment his conventional surgical knowhow, clear the way of internal scarring or injuries, help with blood flow, etc. With any luck, his patient’s hand will be back in place within an hour or two.

After that, he will escort his patient back to the rest of the Horune, and retire to the ship until it’s time to party. At which point he will park himself next to the recreational substances and begin trying one of each to catalogue their effects on Promethean physiology. In fact, that’s exactly what he says if anyone tries to interfere. ”BACK OFF- THIS IS FOR SCIENCE!” That will be White’s primary focus for the rest of the night, until he becomes to incapacitated to continue or something else claims his attention.
For SCIENCE!
Force Field: 75/75; Power Armor Left Leg: 90/100
,
433/449

+6 initiative, +2 parry, +3 dodge for the first melee after danger occurs; cannot be surprise attacked
,
Eagle-like vision, and can see in total darkness
,
Automatically detects rifts, dimensional envelopes and pockets, four- and two-dimensional beings, astral travelers, and invisible energy essence of alien intelligences and entities. Range is one mile or line of sight, whichever is less.
,
Can negate any spell that directly targets the adept for 5 ISP per spell. Spells that create energies and magical weapons are unaffected.
User avatar
Zathark
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Zathark »

Perception 29% 1d100: [28] = 28

JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10
JIC: 1d100: [6] = 6

Zathark enjoys the sunset as much as a goblin can - which is minimal - although conditions are as near to perfect as a goblin can envision them - he has had an opportunity to kill, without consequences, and all of the hard labor is being done by others. All in all it is as near a perfect day as he has ever experienced.

When the skiff comes up and the Reavers are waved aboard, Zathark joins without hesitation. He briefly thinks about bringing the dog carass aboard so everyone can eat it together, but they seem to have no shortage of meat now.

Mebbe I can just eat the dog myself, later.
Hurk Snerk wrote:"RIGHT OF PASSAGE AND ENJOYMENT, DURATION: NOW UNTIL DAWN."
Zathark nods enthusiastically. "Right! What he said!"

Zathark mingles among the crew - though, if any ask his name, he will continue to tell them it's Kickmaster Smashington the Third. Can't be too safe.

He partakes heartily of the meat and drink, and pockets some of the contents of the "box of fun" for later consumption. Due to his healthy goblin endurance [ooce]Supernatural endurance[/ooc], it takes quite a bit of anything to get him buzzed, and Zathark, having lived a life of wariness around others, will stop just shy of fully intending to get lit.

He takes enough to feel good, and not so much that he blacks out. He can do that later.

Otherwise, he cavorts, eats, drinks, and dances with the pirates as opportunities present themself.

It's, truly, the best day of his miserable life.

So why does he not feel totally at ease?

Is it because the attitude of the pirates, though generally friendly, is not one he's ever fully experienced before?

Is it because he keeps expecting consequences and none come?

Or is it because, until the ship is fixed, he's trapped on this atoll?

Late in the evening, he seeks out Hurk Snerk.

"Ya know.... YOO GUYS are all right. It's like bein' home wit' Goblins again, only less bitey. "
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 61/61
ISP: 38/48
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 51/90 MDC
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

Perception (21%) 1d100<21: [23] = 0
JiC 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [2] = 2

Physical shell: Think Idris Elba in Luther

MOD stands at the top of the stairs watching as Bert and the Horune set down all the salvaged ship parts. Ey is wary of so many strangers on eir ship. It's an odd sentiment for the phantom. For one that never really had personal belongings, I have become rather territorial of the ship. Ey casually saunters down the stairs and struts through the cargo bay. The burden of being the captain, one can imagine. Ey watches Dr. White treat the one-handed pirate. Walking out, MOD catches the Doctor's eyes and gives him an approving nod. Good lads.

With everything all loaded on board, the group heads back to the beach led by the pirates. MOD stays near the back, observing the interactions between eir crew and the Horune. Ey watches for anyone fidgeting with their weapons, or keeping close to the Reavers as if they were prisoners. Assuming that MOD doesn't get that vibe from the crew, ey rolls eir shoulders back and begins to relax.

At the beach, MOD takes Hurk Snerk's translator and afixes it to the coat of eir dark tweed coat. Once it is on and working, ey extends a large black hand out to the pirates' leader. "I'm Driis, captain of ship and amateur DJ."

Before ey can ask anymore questions Hurk Snerk is already halfway to the water. MOD chuckles watching the Horune leap into the waves. Turning to any pirates nearby, ey asks to no one in particular, "So what are rites of passages for your lot?"
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: 42 days. Its about 22:30 local time. It's night and the party is in full swing by the end of the GM post.

Conditions:
  • Kibiko: 1/3 engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. The other two need repairs and parts.
  • Dorsal shuttle pod bay doors covered by welded on plated and bracing struts, can't be opened.
Dr. White wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:48 am ”Okay- I’m going to use a combination of the good old-fashioned scientific method, and potent psionic powers. This’ll take a few minutes- if you want I can knock you out.”
Doc sets up a make shift OR in the hold of the Kibiko as it lacks a proper medical bay. The youngster reclines on the packing create covered in medical blankets, it's no operating table, but it's what Doc has available to him. A crowd of interested Horune gather around to watch. The young Horune shakes his head. "No. No pain killers. I've already lost enough face by wailing like a stuck porpoise when I lost this hand. If you knock me out now I have much shame." As he lies back he looks up at the ceiling. "I should have been an officer by now... Damn the captain for dying before I could level up! This crew are like lost boys with no proper leadership." he says to no one in particular. He sets his face in stone and does his best to ignore the coming pain.

Before the Doc can begin a large, even more grizzled looking Horune barges through the crowd. It growls and shouts at the others, possibly telling them to get back to work, as they all dissipate and start loading parts back on to the ship. It growls and speaks to the youngster in threatening tones. The youngster looks terrified. Growler looks at the Doc and nods. He then grasps the youngsters good hand firmly and presses his face right into the ear of the patient. He starts talking in a low menacing voice right into the young one's ear. The younger one blinks away tears and sits motionless though the whole procedure. None of the Void Reavers have much of an idea of whats going on, but it seems important to the two of them.

As Doc white does his thing he sees an interesting potential side effect. The Horune seem to have a degree of natural healing, this hand would probably regrow itself if given enough time. By re-attaching the hand what effect will that have, if it was going to regrow anyway?

Later at the party Doc's claiming of the goodie box draws a crowd. With each substance he ingests the 'ohhhs' and 'ahhhhs' from the crowd increase. The Horune can't believe the heroic doses of drugs a Promethean can take. It's all very flattering and very much good fun until Doc loses track of time for a bit? When he comes back to the present he's curled up in a love puddle of naked, sweaty and sticky Horune and the drugs are rapidly wearing off. Oh dear, did he just rufie himself? Again?
Zathark wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:29 pm"Ya know.... YOO GUYS are all right. It's like bein' home wit' Goblins again, only less bitey."
Hurk Snerk nods and his translator and amplifier talks for him. "AYE! ALL THE BEST CREWS HAVE ONE GOBLIN. WE NEVER GOT TO HAVE ONE. WELL WE DID FOR A BIT UNTIL IT DIED. NEVER HAVE MORE THAN ONE THO. LITTLE FKERS WILL KILL EACH OTHER." He stokes the embers on one of the fire pits and drains the rest of his freshly opened beer and belches impressively. An ugly, mean spirited looking fairy that Zathark hadn't noticed before appears and lights on Hurk's shoulder. "OH HAI, STINK, WHERE YOU BEEN?... OH GOOD, SOME OF THEM CAPTIVES NEEDED SEASONING. YEP, THA PITS ALMOST READY FOR THE BARBIE." Hurk seems to remember something, turns and looks Zathark up and down. "SO GOBLIN, WHAT DISTANCE ARE YOU GOOD FOR?"

Both doc and Zathark are having a pretty good time, the Horune seem rather accepting of them and it's all good considering how things normally go when the Horune show up. MOD, on the other hand is not. Eir attempts at engaging any of them in any kind of conversation are quietly rebuffed. His translator does pick up that they say the word 'captain' around him and just sort seem to move away. In short, they want nothing to do with em. While not a whole lot of fun it does allow MOD to get an overview of the party.
  • There are somewhere between three and four dozen Horune at the party. All are having a good time.
  • As ugly as they are the dudes know how to surf!
  • The Horune are getting lit. Which seems rather casual, as no one seems to be keeping watch.
  • Doc disappeared in the bushes a while ago with an entourage and hasn't come back yet.
  • Zathark fits in rather well and holds his own at the rough housing.
  • Bert seems preoccupied with the Horune's gear, maybe its Techno-Wizardry?
  • There about half a dozen captives and they seem to be sedated, druged or just scared stiff. Well, except for that one in the shadows. That one is tied up good and proper. They even have a facemask on, the kind they use for spell casters. The figure leans forward into the light. Holy shit! MOD recognizes the captive. It's The Baron! The blowhard Silhouette crew member from the 'Better than You'. The blowhard that should be far away from here on a ship carrying NE death squads bent on hunting the VR down. Yet, here he is looking right at MOD across the sand.

What are your intentions?


An atoll somewhere on Theora.
KJ4758 is one of a number of sandy islets on a continuous ring of coral reef enclosing a lagoon. The total land area of the islets is approximately 1 square mile (2.6 km2). The coral reef covers about 3,600 acres (15 km2). The lagoon is some 7 miles (11 km) across, covering an area of 22 square miles (57 km2). There are several small passages through the reef for boats, though there is no safe entry for large ships. At a latitude of 18 degrees south, KJ4758 enjoys a tropical climate but is exposed to severe tropical cyclones.Image
GM notes
It's party time. How lit you guys get is up to you. It's fair to assume that there will be something in the box of fun that will get your character wasted. There is a lot of variety in kinds of substance and levels of potency. So, I guess it's time to mingle? Or are you gunna be ONE OF THOSE CREWS that just sticks together joined at the hip?
User avatar
Zathark
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Zathark »

Perception 29% 1d100: [82] = 82

JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14
JIC: 1d100: [93] = 93
Hurk Snerk wrote:"AYE! ALL THE BEST CREWS HAVE ONE GOBLIN. WE NEVER GOT TO HAVE ONE. WELL WE DID FOR A BIT UNTIL IT DIED. NEVER HAVE MORE THAN ONE THO. LITTLE FKERS WILL KILL EACH OTHER."
Zathark looks at the pirate quizzically.

A Psi-Goblin, you see, is quite good at holding onto one idea, very tenaciously. Their focus is such that if an idea enters their heads, they will pursue that idea with the fervor of a rabid dog pursuing... well... anything, really. They're clever, and tenacious. Those are their only two virtues.

And this pirate has just introduced an idea counter to ideas that Zathark holds to. Let's... *shudder* have a look. Uh... prepare yourself. Never know what you're going to see in here:

Kill each other? Psi-Gobs? Nah... we're pack creatures... we may bite each other - even eat parts o each other... but we regenerate... How we gonna kill each other? Then we got no pack left. Tha don' make no sense.

OKAY, that's enough. Thank god.

Now, a Psi-Goblin, as tenaciously as he holds to one idea, is typically unable to hold two conflicting ideas in their fetid little noggins. So inside the foul-smelling miniature homunculus brain, a war is raging. Two ideas are battling it out. And should we skip to the end, we shall see the fallout of that mental cataclysm:

"Pffft. Yer silly."
Hurk Snerk wrote: "SO GOBLIN, WHAT DISTANCE ARE YOU GOOD FOR?"
Okay, we may need to address this comment as well. Bear with me.

You may have heard me diminish our hero's intellect on occasion - it's true. I may have bandied some choice epithets aimed at his struggling mental aptitude. It's true.

It is true that Psi goblins are generally dim. It is true that they can hyper focus on the first idea that sounds good to them, to the exclusion of common sense. It is also true that they are clever. They are hunters and warriors after all, with access to both psionic and magical abilities that far surpass those of normal goblins. Such that even a pea-brained specimen like our Zathark has the intellectual capacity... to recognize a threat.

Zathark's eyes narrow. Through the haze of illicit substances he's partaken of this evening, he manages to stare at the pirate, hard-edged.

"You ain't throwin me, Hurk. I'll feed ya yer own danglies if ya try. You asked fer Right of Passage, an' we gave it. So unless ya wanna throw that away ta find out first-hand how the capn's dog is feelin' right about now, you'll keep yer hands... off." Zathark fairly growls this last word, a fleck of spittle rolling down one of his fangs and onto his chin.

And through the threat, even the most oblivious observer might note that this particular noxious little rat bag would thoroughly enjoy feeding someone thier own reproductive organs, and might be convinced to do so even without cause.

(Horror Factor 11)

Zathark then turns his attention back to good times, raises his mug to his lips and takes a deep swig of alcohol, but he does not again turn his back to Hurk Snerk.
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 61/61
ISP: 38/48
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 51/90 MDC
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

Perception (21%) 1d100<21: [58] = 0
JiC 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [98] = 98

Physical shell:Think Idris Elba in Luther

MOD could have been offended by the cold shoulder ey receives from the Horune. The truth is that is ey is content to be on the sidelines. Parties are dumb anyway. The less time one needs to spend mingling with corporeals, the better, I say. Ok, maybe eir feelings are a little bruised. Ey picks up a beer for the sake of appearance and drinks it slowly. The alcohol goes into an empty cavity that MOD made in eir physical shell for just these types of occasions.

Sitting against a tree, the phantom cracks a smile as ey watches eir crew enjoy the debauchery. Is this a good thing? Am I pulling this off? Taking another drink, ey can almost understand why corporeals enjoy drinking on beach. Watching a beautiful sunset and the festivities below, the motions of drawing the bottle, sipping the cold liquid, and then resting the bottle against one's leg are calming; ey assumes that the alcohol enhances the effects of the whole experience. Then ey sees the doctor below. And then that happens. MOD looks at the bottle, the charm is gone. So ey chucks it into a low sand dune.

Looking at where the bottle lands, the light being sees darkness personified. MOD perks up at the sight of the the Baron. Ey cracks a sinister grin, happy to be sporting a new physical shell. The ponce has no idea who I am. Ey saunters over casually to where the Baron is tied up. If any of the Horune are nearby, ey will signal for a flare. Adopting a gruff voice, ey says, "Well now, who do we have here?"

If ey are handed a flare, ey will crack it open and hold it close to the Baron's face, enjoying the way a silhouette squirms under the burning light. If there is no flare, MOD will simply scan the Baron very carefully. Ey has so many questions, all of them directed at the nearest pirate: who is this captive? Did he put up a fight when captured? Did he have any traveling companions? Was he found on or near a spaceship? Can he be used for sport?
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
The Machine
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by The Machine »

Perception: 1d100: [92] = 92 /49%
Just in Case: 1d20: [2] = 2 ; 1d100: [73] = 73
Conditions: None.

HP: 30/30
S.D.C.: 22/22
I.S.P.: 35/35
P.P.E.: 137/127


Bert is still a little frazzled by the change of events. It takes him some time to open up, but eventually he decides to cut loose. Bert finds where the beverages are and grabs two, quickly downing both, before grabbing a third and downing that one. A fourth drink in hand, Bert makes his way into the cluster of pirates and begins to join them in whatever fun they're up to, watching them surf, playing beach games, even playfully fighting with others if that's what's on the menu. Every so often his companions likely hear him loudly proclaim. "I am The Machine!"

Bert has reverted to the general behavior that almost got him kicked out of the UWW Navy. Becoming what one may say is a party animal. All the while, Bert keeps getting drunker and drunker and dumber and dumber. Arguing with a Harune about the superiority of shotgun/grenade launchers versus anything else.
They call me The Machine.
"When one wants to not be caught, one should have a cover identity that is very different to themselves." ~Burt.
User avatar
Dr. White
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Dr. White »

JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 , 1d100: [31] = 31
PER: 1d100: [23] = 23 , vs. 41%

Medical Doctor Surgery- 1d100: [18] = 18 vs. 58%
For science!.
Xenology- 1d100: [14] = 14 vs. 53%
Anything that might assist with surgery.
Death and Gravity wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:10 amAs Doc white does his thing he sees an interesting potential side effect. The Horune seem to have a degree of natural healing, this hand would probably regrow itself if given enough time. By re-attaching the hand what effect will that have, if it was going to regrow anyway?
Almost as soon as the question pops into White’s head he is filled with a burning desire to know the answer to it. ”Interesting! It appears this hand has started to regrow already. Let’s see what I can do to help things along.” From there, White busts out his surgical kit and proceeds with the operation. He’ll decide once he’s in there whether the patient’s condition merits simply trying to reattach the severed hand (even debriding tissue if need be) or if he can make it so that the fellow will have three hands going forward- either way, with a satisfied smirk at the end he will pronounce the operation a success. ”Okay, sailor- go get drunk. You earned it. In fact- we both did!” And so, off White goes, and off White gets.

Some time later, White emerges from the bushes- genitals (and various other floppy bits) dangling in the wind, flesh gleaming with some unholy mix of sweat, lube, sugar, and… fried cheese? Somehow, the gleam even reaches to his eyes- a decidedly unwholesome effect. Particularly since White’s eyes seem to be a good deal wider than normal. As he swings by Bert and MOD, White starts to say something, then bursts into high-pitched, hysterical laughter for no apparent reason before continuing. ”Heeyyyy, guysss. Well, guy and MOD. You guyssh try any of their stassshsess? It’sss pretty good shtuff. Oh! And- didja KNOW that Horune have seven orifices? That’s one more than shtandard! Anyway. Great party Hurk.” White nods to the captain, then spots the dinner plans. ”Oh! A buffet! Funsies! I gotta try one of everything!” White’s smile gets even bigger, and more lopsided.
Zathark wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:12 pm"You ain't throwin me, Hurk. I'll feed ya yer own danglies if ya try. You asked fer Right of Passage, an' we gave it. So unless ya wanna throw that away ta find out first-hand how the capn's dog is feelin' right about now, you'll keep yer hands... off."
White starts cackling again. ”Aw, c’mon Zathark! It’ll be fun- don’t be rude to our guests after all the generous hospitality they’ve been showing us, after all! Hurk- thish a throwin’ contest, or a puntin’ contest?” In his inebriated state, White briefly considers trying to hypnotize the goblin into going along, but decides against it. I don’t think I want to go poking around in what passes for that little rat’s brain. Instead, White just smiles later, and hopes the Horune will make their case more forcefully.
For SCIENCE!
Force Field: 75/75; Power Armor Left Leg: 90/100
,
433/449

+6 initiative, +2 parry, +3 dodge for the first melee after danger occurs; cannot be surprise attacked
,
Eagle-like vision, and can see in total darkness
,
Automatically detects rifts, dimensional envelopes and pockets, four- and two-dimensional beings, astral travelers, and invisible energy essence of alien intelligences and entities. Range is one mile or line of sight, whichever is less.
,
Can negate any spell that directly targets the adept for 5 ISP per spell. Spells that create energies and magical weapons are unaffected.
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: 42 days. Its about 23:30 local time. It's night and the party is still full swing by the end of the GM post.

Conditions:
  • Kibiko: 1/3 engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. The other two need repairs and parts.
  • Dorsal shuttle pod bay doors covered by welded on plated and bracing struts, can't be opened.
The party continues. It's a good one!

Bert is having a great time! He has an interesting conversation through the translator that Hurk gave him. It seems these goons know a whole lot more about underwater weapons, a bit less about above water weapons and almost zero about space based armaments. One of them in particular, seems really interested and even takes a few drunk notes. Bert guesses that this one must be trained along the lines of a UWW Techno-Smithy and maintains the TW items he has spotted the Horune carrying.
The Machine wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:29 pm"I am The Machine!"
By this stage of the night, every time Bert shouts this out more than a few Horune shout it back. They shout it into each other faces while pushing, shoving and casually throwing hands. Followed by the aggression just dissolving into fits of hyena like laughter. Well, they try to repeat his catch phrase, but as most don't speak a word of Trade 4 the responses are a butchered and mangled travesty of a normally functional language. Regardless of how bad it sounds, they find it hilarious and take great delight in copying The Machine.

MOD's party on the other hand is a rather subdued affair. Party due to his non-corporeal nature, but it is mostly due to the fact the the Horune actively avoid him. By now, there is no doubt in MOD's mind that it is because he is the "Captain" of the Void Reavers. They don't seem afraid of em, or even give em a whole lot of respect. They just give em a wide berth. When he spots The baron and he asks the Horune around him about it, they just walk away. They walk away but do keep a careful eye on MOD's interaction with The Baron. With no flare to wave in The Baron's face MOD approaches.
MOD wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:59 pm"Well now, who do we have here?"
Gagged The Baron is unable to respond. He merely raises an eyebrow. MOD carefully tries to read The Baron's thoughts. He has trouble doing it. All he gets is The Baron repeating eir name: MOD.... MOD..... MMMM OOOO DDDD? You Fucking Cretin..... Wait what!?! MOD has a new skin, How in the 3G can The Baron know it's em?

At that moment there is a chorus of Horune joining in on:
The Machine wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:29 pm"I am The Machine!"
MOD turns around and sees Zathark talking to Hurk just over there and a naked, from the waist down, Doctor White approaching them. Oh right, The Baron must have put 2 and 2 together and arrived at the correct answer.

GM Note: Phantom mind reading funzies needs a skill roll. The JiC is 98% and a fail.
Zathark wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:12 pm"You ain't throwin me, Hurk. I'll feed ya yer own danglies if ya try. You asked fer Right of Passage, an' we gave it. So unless ya wanna throw that away ta find out first-hand how the capn's dog is feelin' right about now, you'll keep yer hands... off."
Hurk looks down at Zathark and sneers. "ME THROW YOU?! FK OFF! YOU AINT PARTA ME CREW! THE RITE OF CREW TOSS IS... YA KNOW WHERE YOU TOSS YA OWN CREW. NO ONE, AND I MEAN NO ONE, TOSSES ANOTHER CREW'S GOBLIN *or designated replacement if no goblin can be found! FK YOU FOR EVEN THINKIN I WOULD WANNA TOSS YA. NOW, FK OFF BEFORE I GREASE YOU UP AND INVOKE THE RITE OF 'CHASE THA GREASED GOBLIN'. BEGONE PEST!" The ugly fairly sitting on his shoulder points and laughs at Zathark and whispers something in Hurk's ear.

The Doctor is going off. This really could end up being another *5 star* reader submission to one of his favourite ribald publications:
Incredibly Hot Sex with Insanely Ugly Beings: Readers Tales of Passion..

Ah the night is young, he may well get enough action to write an epic.
Dr. White wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:09 am”Aw, c’mon Zathark! It’ll be fun- don’t be rude to our guests after all the generous hospitality they’ve been showing us, after all! Hurk- thish a throwin’ contest, or a puntin’ contest?”
Hurk smiles widely at the question. He puts a whistle to his lips and blows hard. A high pitch screech pipes out across the beach and the Horune all immediately stand at ease. Several fall over unable to keep their balance. Hurk addresses the crew. "AGREED! I ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE. I HURK SNERK SENIOR CREWMEMBER OF THE 'SIREN'S CALL 425845' INVOKE THE ANCIENT RITE OF CREW TOSS!!! YEA BOIS WE GOT OURSELVES A FKN CREW TOSS! FKN YES! MAKE IT HAPPEN! RAWRRRRRRR" The Horune crew all go wild cheering, hollering jumping round and slamming into each other.

They stop what they were doing and all start milling about excitedly. They seem to be organizing some kind of sports or athletics field in the sand.

What are your intentions?


An atoll somewhere on Theora.
KJ4758 is one of a number of sandy islets on a continuous ring of coral reef enclosing a lagoon. The total land area of the islets is approximately 1 square mile (2.6 km2). The coral reef covers about 3,600 acres (15 km2). The lagoon is some 7 miles (11 km) across, covering an area of 22 square miles (57 km2). There are several small passages through the reef for boats, though there is no safe entry for large ships. At a latitude of 18 degrees south, KJ4758 enjoys a tropical climate but is exposed to severe tropical cyclones.Image
GM notes
It's party time. How lit you guys get is up to you. It's fair to assume that there will be something in the box of fun that will get your character wasted. There is a lot of variety in kinds of substance and levels of potency. So, I guess it's time to mingle? Or are you gunna be ONE OF THOSE CREWS that just sticks together joined at the hip?
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

Perception (21%) 1d100<21: [42] = 0
JiC 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [16] = 16

Physical shell:Think Idris Elba in Luther

Combat (If necessary)
1. Kick the Baron 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 (CRITICAL STRIKE, but I don't really need the damage bonus) / damage 1d8: [3] = 3 x 2 = 6 M.D.
2. Kick the Baron 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 / damage 1d8: [7] = 7 M.D.

The phantom's ability to read minds is not based on psionics, but rather the careful reading of synapses firing. It is a nuanced art, and one that the completely self-absorbed often struggle with. So MOD can only learn what the Baron wants em to know. In frustration, MOD kicks the bound silhouette in the knee. If any of the Horune react to MOD striking the Baron, ey will give them a polite nod and wave, a gesture not to do anything to disrupt the party. Ey smiles watching the Baron wince in pain.

Ey then kneels down to the Baron's level and arches eir eyebrows as if to start a conversation. I would love to shine every shred of information out of your head right now, but I don't feel like giving up this shell. Looking good, eh? Ey can convey a lot with those soulful brown eyes. Ey stares right into the Baron's whites as if to ask him a question. So how did you make me?
The Machine wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:29 pm"I am The Machine!"
And that answers MOD's question. Materfuxors. Ey blinks twice quickly and says, "Well, no point in being coy about this, right? We're partying it up with your captors here. I don't know what our new chums have planned for you, but I'm sure it's going to be a blast. The only way this could be better is if we get to dance the Reservoir Dog. I'm going to find out exactly how bad of a spot you're in now. K? Cheers, chum!"

Ey stands up and kicks the Baron one more time before trodding down the beach to where Zathark and Hurk are discussing about crew tossing.
Hurk wrote:"AGREED! I ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE. I HURK SNERK SENIOR CREWMEMBER OF THE 'SIREN'S CALL 425845' INVOKE THE ANCIENT RITE OF CREW TOSS!!! YEA BOIS WE GOT OURSELVES A FKN CREW TOSS! FKN YES! MAKE IT HAPPEN! RAWRRRRRRR"
MOD walks through the cheering crowd, glaring at anyone that doesn't move out of eir way. In this moment ey appreciates the deference, if one wants to call it that, the pirates are giving em. Ey goes next to Zathark and looks for the other Reavers. Then ey turns to Hurk and says, "So we got a game then? I just got two questions. What are the parameters?" MOD nods in agreement to the rules that Hurk lays out. "Perfectly normal. And what are the stakes? Because I would love play for that muzzled prisoner you got there."

If asked what ey will wager, MOD can offer any of the following: eir power armor, the personal belongings of any former crew members, two crew members - a wolfen and trensik - that have been mysteriously catatonic since they arrived to the Theora system, and in a worst case scenario the Duke's jousters. Once the stakes are settled, then MOD will pull the rest of the crew aside to quickly form a game plan.
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
Zathark
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Zathark »

Perception 29% 1d100: [58] = 58

JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14
JIC: 1d100: [61] = 61
Hurk Snerk wrote:"ME THROW YOU?! FK OFF! YOU AINT PARTA ME CREW! THE RITE OF CREW TOSS IS... YA KNOW WHERE YOU TOSS YA OWN CREW. NO ONE, AND I MEAN NO ONE, TOSSES ANOTHER CREW'S GOBLIN *or designated replacement if no goblin can be found! FK YOU FOR EVEN THINKIN I WOULD WANNA TOSS YA. NOW, FK OFF BEFORE I GREASE YOU UP AND INVOKE THE RITE OF 'CHASE THA GREASED GOBLIN'. BEGONE PEST!"
Zathark, the repugnant pile of ambient violence, clad in a pungent and ugly exterior, is having a very fateful day. Today he has experienced a (for him) dizzying array of new experiences and feelings.

For instance, at this moment the vile little trashcan is feeling a particular mix of guilt, sadness, and regret. He does not understand, and the dizzying cogitation he has on the topic almost puts him in a stupor. Let us examine:

I... wh... wait, what? They weren't gonna throw me? But I... everyone is ALWAYS threatenin' ta throw me or kick me or hurt me. They ... they weren't? And... and I... I insulted 'em somehow by thinking they was? No - they actually said they LIKE goblins, an' here I am thinking maybe they just like to beat us or throw us or whatever. But ... could be they didn't wanna do that stuff ta me? Is... izzat possible? Did... did I make 'im mad by suggestin' it? I never meant to... I... I really DID never mean ta make 'im mad at me. Huh.

You see, friends. Our poor little tumor has never had what you and I might think of as a "friend". He hasn't the slightest idea of how a person might like him, might not wish him harm. The fact that other people have feelings at all is a novel concept for him, and the thought he might've hurt someone's feelings - not on purpose but by accident - AND that he might himself FEEL BADLY about it... is all foreign to him.

He is in uncharted waters. How he reacts now will certainly be interesting...

"Uhh... I'm sorry, I guess? I, uh... yeah. I'm sorry." He turns to leave.

"Huh. I actually am sorry. So that's what that feels like."

Zathark then ambles off - no longer in the mood for festivities. He grabs a chunk of meat, however, and goes to sit in the corner of the barge, away from prying eyes who might witness him in an unprecedented moment of introspection.

So our diminutive little miscreant has discovered something new - a small and fragile part of his mind (or even perhaps his heart?) that somehow has the ability to make him feel badly for hurting someone if they sere in any way kind to him. Somehow has the power to make him apologize - and even mean it. Not for fear of punishment or retribution... but out of actual regret.

Truly a momentous day for a psi-goblin. Momentous indeed.
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 61/61
ISP: 38/48
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 51/90 MDC
User avatar
MOD
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by MOD »

<Rolls carry>
Zathark wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:37 am "Uhh... I'm sorry, I guess? I, uh... yeah. I'm sorry." He turns to leave.
"Huh. I actually am sorry. So that's what that feels like."
MOD watches Zathark slink away. Eir jaw sinks a little and ey grimaces. Well this was not expected. Ey turn back to Hurk and discuss the conditions of the crew toss. Ey then say, "Right then, let me rally the crew, and we'll get the game going."

MOD again strides through the throng of Harune, staring at any that doesn't move aside (presuming that they are still avoiding the captain). Ey follows after Zathark and when ey finds the psi-goblin sulking, ey kneels down, clasps the critter by the shoulders, and says in a low voice, "Listen up. Yes, you are an obnoxious hairless trash rat. But you are our trash rat, and when we're dealing with a bunch of scaley trash rats you are the ma- goblin we want. You are an essential part of the crew, and as captain, I would space a half dozen other corporeals before I got rid of you." Ey gives the critter a firm pat. "Now, we need you so we can punt each other across a field for fun and profit. Let's go!"
MOD (pronouns: ey/em/eir)
M.D.C. (Energy Form): 50
M.D.C. (Physical Shell): 70
P.P.E.: 448
User avatar
Dr. White
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Dr. White »

JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 , 1d100: [20] = 20
PER: 1d100: [59] = 59 , vs. 41%
Death and Gravity wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:07 am"ME THROW YOU?! FK OFF! YOU AINT PARTA ME CREW! THE RITE OF CREW TOSS IS... YA KNOW WHERE YOU TOSS YA OWN CREW. NO ONE, AND I MEAN NO ONE, TOSSES ANOTHER CREW'S GOBLIN *or designated replacement if no goblin can be found! FK YOU FOR EVEN THINKIN I WOULD WANNA TOSS YA. NOW, FK OFF BEFORE I GREASE YOU UP AND INVOKE THE RITE OF 'CHASE THA GREASED GOBLIN'. BEGONE PEST!"
White’s eyes widen further (one wouldn’t have thought that possible with the amount of narcotics in his system) as he cackles, claps his hands with almost girlish glee, and exclaims (in entirely too loud a voice) ”OOOOH, WAIT! CAN I THROW HIM? WHAT A FUN GAME! WAIT- DIDJA SAY GREASE? HM. THAT MIGHT ADVERSELY AFFECT THE AERODYNAMICS. OH WAIT I KNOW! WE’LL DO THE TOSS, THEN GREASE HIM UP! THEN… THEN” White looks confused as he loses his train of thought. ”And then…what, exactly?”

Anyway, then Hurk makes the announcement, and White lights up again. At first, seemingly oblivious to Zathark’s revelation, he sidles up and forcefully claps the little goblin on the shoulder. ”C’mon, buddy! You don’t want to lose to a bunch of smelly Horune, dooya?”
For SCIENCE!
Force Field: 75/75; Power Armor Left Leg: 90/100
,
433/449

+6 initiative, +2 parry, +3 dodge for the first melee after danger occurs; cannot be surprise attacked
,
Eagle-like vision, and can see in total darkness
,
Automatically detects rifts, dimensional envelopes and pockets, four- and two-dimensional beings, astral travelers, and invisible energy essence of alien intelligences and entities. Range is one mile or line of sight, whichever is less.
,
Can negate any spell that directly targets the adept for 5 ISP per spell. Spells that create energies and magical weapons are unaffected.
User avatar
The Machine
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by The Machine »

Perception: 1d100: [93] = 93 /49%
Just in Case: 1d20: [15] = 15 ; 1d100: [71] = 71
Conditions: None.

HP: 30/30
S.D.C.: 22/22
I.S.P.: 35/35
P.P.E.: 137/127


Bert takes enough time to look up from his drink of the moment, to punch the nearest Harune. "WOOOOO! LETS DO THIS!" Bert screams at the top of his lungs, before making his way over to the others. "SO... so what's the plan?" Bert says trying his best to quiet down, but that filter is clearly on the fritz. Put note to maintenance to repair volume control. Bert thinks before giggling madly to himself.

Bert kneels down to be closer to Zathark's height. "You sure about this bud? Want me to put an armor spell on you... ooh maybe flying spell. That would allow you to go real far... but that's probably cheating. Did they ever give us the rules?" Bert starts to ramble and then promptly falls on his ass, with an oof.

Bert just sits and grins at his deranged Psi-Goblin friend and waits to see what happens.
They call me The Machine.
"When one wants to not be caught, one should have a cover identity that is very different to themselves." ~Burt.
User avatar
Death and Gravity
Game Master
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 am

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Death and Gravity »

Time stamp: 42 days. Its about 23:30 local time. It's night and the party is still full swing by the end of the GM post.

Conditions:
  • Kibiko: 1/3 engines (FTL & STL) working perfectly. The other two need repairs and parts.
  • Dorsal shuttle pod bay doors covered by welded on plated and bracing struts, can't be opened.
Zathark wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:37 am"Uhh... I'm sorry, I guess? I, uh... yeah. I'm sorry."
Hurk spits out a mouthful of beer from the swig he just took. He stands there for a second mouth agape. "DID TA GOLBIN JUST SAY 'SORRY'?! WELL FK WE SIDEWAYS WITH A BARGEPOLE." He turns and looks a Stink, the ugly, tainted-looking fairy on his shoulder. "FKN ALIENS MAN, WHAT HAV THAY DONE TA DAT GOBLIN? DAT THING SAID SORRY WITHOUT TORTURIN'. I THINK IV SEEN IT ALL NOW."

Stink takes off and flies over to Zathark. She hovers a good distance out of reach and make mocking boo hoo actions with her hands close to her eyes. She laughs at him then flies off towards the Horune making preparations.
MOD wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:47 am"So we got a game then? I just got two questions. What are the parameters?"
Hurk turns to MOD and smiles. "STANDARD STUFF. THROW METHOD IS OPEN, TOSS EM, PUNT EM, OVER OR UNDERARM, RUNNING START OR STANDING START - ITS ALL WIFFIN DA RULES. CAN'T STEP OVER BASE LINE WHEN THROWING. MUST THROW WITHIN FOUL LINES. LIMIT OF ONE FOUL PER CREW. NO ASSISTANCE FOR THE TOSSED, STUFF LIKE NO FLIGHT PACS, NO ANTI GRAV, NO MAGIK ETC ETC. AH YEAH, DAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT." The rules, it would seem, have been set so that even the most wasted Horune can follow what's going on.
MOD wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:47 am "Perfectly normal. And what are the stakes? Because I would love play for that muzzled prisoner you got there."
Hurk stops and looks at MOD seriously for a second before the drugs and alcohol in his system make their presence felt. "OOOOOHHHHHH! HEAR DAT BOIS WE GOT OURSELVES A WAGER! YEEEEEAAAAAH! WHAT YA GOT TA PUT IN DA POT?" He asks MOD.

One of the other Horune comes closer and whispers something in his ear. He raises his many eyebrows. "OL' CHURN HERE SAYS YA GOT A FANCY LOOKING CONTAINER ON YA VOID TRAVERSING SHIP. HE THINKS WE WANTS WHAT'S INSIDE IT. WHATA YA SAY CHUM?"
Dr. White wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:38 am ”OOOOH, WAIT! CAN I THROW HIM? WHAT A FUN GAME! WAIT- DIDJA SAY GREASE? HM. THAT MIGHT ADVERSELY AFFECT THE AERODYNAMICS. OH WAIT I KNOW! WE’LL DO THE TOSS, THEN GREASE HIM UP! THEN… THEN”
Hurk nods appreciatively. "YA KNOW PONCE, FOR A PONCE YA KNOW HOW TO PARTY! WE SHOULD DO THIS AGAIN SOMETIME."

Bert joins the rest of the goup as the preparations for the toss continue. The Void Reavers need to get ready for it.

What are your intentions?

An atoll somewhere on Theora.
KJ4758 is one of a number of sandy islets on a continuous ring of coral reef enclosing a lagoon. The total land area of the islets is approximately 1 square mile (2.6 km2). The coral reef covers about 3,600 acres (15 km2). The lagoon is some 7 miles (11 km) across, covering an area of 22 square miles (57 km2). There are several small passages through the reef for boats, though there is no safe entry for large ships. At a latitude of 18 degrees south, KJ4758 enjoys a tropical climate but is exposed to severe tropical cyclones.Image
GM notes
  • The container Hurk mentions for the bet is the one holding the pink Cyber Retro Hover cycle. The Horune must have seen it when they were loading up the engine parts onto the ship.
  • You guys need to decide of you accept the bet of The Baron vs The Hover Jouster, if not suggest an alternative.
  • You guys need to decide who the tosser is and who is being tossed.
  • Tosser: Roll to strike to avoid a foul toss. Roll a D20 and add your SN PS to the result. Horune have SN PS too so that equals out if Doc or TW enhanced The Machine do the toss. The Horune who makes the toss will do the same.
  • Tossee: Roll to strike to avoid freaking out and ruining your aerodynamics. If you have acrobatics or similar skill add +4 to the roll. The tossed Horune will be doing the same. Mention your weight in your post so I don't have to look it up on your sheet. Please and Thank you
User avatar
Zathark
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: [VR] Theora System.

Post by Zathark »

Perception 29% 1d100: [70] = 70

JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18
JIC: 1d100: [34] = 34

Say what you will about Psi-Goblins (I certainly do), but they are notoriously resilient. This usually manifests as a difficulty to kill them, but they can be resilient in other ways as well. For example:

Hurk Snerk wrote:"DID TA GOLBIN JUST SAY 'SORRY'?! WELL FK WE SIDEWAYS WITH A BARGEPOLE. FKN ALIENS MAN, WHAT HAV THAY DONE TA DAT GOBLIN? DAT THING SAID SORRY WITHOUT TORTURIN'. I THINK IV SEEN IT ALL NOW."
Zathark scrunches his face up, partially in confusion, partially in anger. His mind, normally a fetid picture-show of creative and horrible tortures, is actually reeling about - of all things - his feelings.

Are they LAUGHIN' at me? After I was actually feelin' BAD for them? Them farg-lickers made me FEEL MY OWN FEELINGS. An' now they're gonna LAUGH at me?

Before he can belch forth a stream of obscenities to update the Horune on his feelings at this particular moment, his teammates make an appearance.
MOD wrote:"Listen up. Yes, you are an obnoxious hairless trash rat. But you are our trash rat, and when we're dealing with a bunch of scaley trash rats you are the ma- goblin we want. You are an essential part of the crew, and as captain, I would space a half dozen other corporeals before I got rid of you. Now, we need you so we can punt each other across a field for fun and profit. Let's go!"
Zathark has had a dizzying array of experiences for one day, and now... well... he's getting twitchy. He starts visibly twitching. His mind, processing way too much emotional input for a psi-goblin, tumults as he tries to come to a decision. His eyelid quivers as he thinks:

first they wanna throw me but they don't wanna throw me OH NO it's an insult to imply that but OH NO it's wrong ta apologize even though everyone I ever wronged demanded an apology just before I killed 'em an now even MOD of all people is tellin me I got value and MOD ain't even a thing ey're a ball of energy or whatever but I'm part o this crew I guess an if these fishfkers wanna fkin play toss the goblin then WE'LL TOSS THE FKIN GOBLIN!!
Dr. White wrote:”C’mon, buddy! You don’t want to lose to a bunch of smelly Horune, dooya?”
Fairly vibrating with... hell, I don't even know. Rage? Anticipation? Confusion? Whatever it is, the putrid little psychopath is just quivering with it. He replies, "No. I. Do. NOT."

In a spasmodic rage, he begins slapping himself and barking, saliva flying everywhere.

"They wanna play toss the Goblin THEN LET'S TOSS THE GOBLIN! LET'S GO! LET'S GET NUTS!!"
Bert wrote:"You sure about this bud? Want me to put an armor spell on you... ooh maybe flying spell. That would allow you to go real far... but that's probably cheating. Did they ever give us the rules?"
Zathark turns to Bert, a vicious, slavering grin on his face, eyes wide as pie-plates. Bert has seen this look before - but only when the festering little trashcan is in the grip of a killing rage.

"Oh I'm sure, Bert. I'm REAL sure." He will leave the discussion of magic aside - he's not at all concerned about getting hurt at this point.

Regardless of whom is throwing, Zathark will be the throwee. He weighs a spritely 90 lbs.

(Not sure if multiple rolls are needed/ if there will be multiple tosses. Including 3 just in case)

Throw 1) Strike 1d20+5: [18]+5 = 23
Throw 2) Strike 1d20+5: [6]+5 = 11
Throw 3) Strike 1d20+5: [15]+5 = 20
"'EY! Mind yer own Bizness!"

MDC: 61/61
ISP: 38/48
PPE: 98/98

NE-BA-26 Special Body Armor
M.D.C. by Location:
Helmet: 50/50 MDC
Right Arm: 40/40 MDC
Left arm: 40/40 MDC
Right Leg: 50/50 MDC
Left Leg: 50/50 MDC
Main Body: 51/90 MDC
Post Reply

Return to “Phase World: The Three Galaxies”