The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

BTS2 Adventure Forum

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Consumer
Game Master

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 16th, 1925. 12:10 PM (5 minutes have passed since last post)
Weather: 22 degrees Fahrenheit; Partly Cloudy
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Active Investigating
Mr. Zachary Splindt: Research Entire sections of the library are on the subjects.
Mrs. Virginia Revel: Lore: Demons & Monsters (to find out about ancient and forgotten lesser demons): Nothing particular comes to mind, and the closest thing Virginia can think of is a Hell Hound, and she is certain she didn’t smell that.
Research (to find out what books Captain Whitlach was reading the most recently): Unsure, no books seem to be “recently” read.
Ms. Claudia Di Mantua: No skills used.
Mr. Callum Doyle: Detect Ambush (To make sure they aren't snuck up on)
Mr. Aurelio Di Mantua: No skills used.

Inside Whitlach Manor

Claudia begins opening the curtains of the Library, While Aurelio opens doors to other rooms, he finds them all unlocked and freely openable, if sometimes protestant with squeaky hinges due to the cold. (I am not sure how I missed that in the last post, but it’s done now. ~Consumer) Aurelio in his opening of doors finds what may be a sitting room, or parlor, a pair of stairways, both leading upstairs. Some manner of office, or study, a closet, and what may be the dining room. All of these rooms appear dark and empty, with only the light brought from the main hall, and what is in hand shining in.

Virginia, Zachary, and Callum enter the library and begin to look for clues. Virginia is unable to find anything that seem like research that the late Captain Whitlach was reading, Zachary finds the opposite of that with dozens of books on the subjects of ghosts and demons, and likely more, but his knowledge of foriegn languages is limited. Callum looks for a desk, but only finds a few tables. They’re surprisingly tidy, as if the man didn’t actually do his reading in the library.

The group as a whole is feeling the cold at this point, it’s as if the world wants to drain the vitality from their very bones. Coupled with the general quiet, and the lack of light, it makes for a macabre scene.

What are your intentions?

Butcher's Bill
Mrs. Virginia Revel: -8 I.S.P.
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [99] = 99
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 1d100: [21] = 21
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [99] = 99
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. English-illiterate.
GM wrote:Aurelio in his opening of doors finds what may be a sitting room, or parlor, a pair of stairways, both leading upstairs. Some manner of office, or study, a closet, and what may be the dining room. All of these rooms appear dark and empty, with only the light brought from the main hall, and what is in hand shining in.
Aurelio gets to doing what a decent maid would likely do, at least in his mind, in a situation like this: open up all the shutters & drapes amid all the rooms to let in some light. I remember mama would act like this during spring cleaning. Papa would always be flustered about the fresh light falling in his little "den" where he kept his various pipe tobacco in mason jars. He starts with the parlor then heads upstairs and repeats such in the study and dining room. Presumably the closet has no windows of its own, but if so he will open these last. "Voila!" he exclaims to himself once done. Finally, a chance to shed some light on things literally. He'll then head to the study where he will have a seat (assuming such furnishings exist), sit down, and enjoy some of his cigarette while taking his time to really soak in the details of the study.
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [15] = 15 / 20%
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [31] = 31
Current I.S.P.: 20
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?

Inside Captain Whitlock’s House
Consumer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:14 amThe group as a whole is feeling the cold at this point, it’s as if the world wants to drain the vitality from their very bones.
“It’s cold,” Claudia complains to those within earshot. “Winter and death.” Where is Uncle Ari? He could start a fire. Maybe there is tea in the captain’s kitchen…

Armed with a single candle, Claudia slips past Callum and wanders from the library into the next room. It appears to be an office or maybe a parlor (I’m not sure which room is located just north of Claudia’s position on the map.). “Uncle Ari?” In the dim light, she locates a piano instead of her uncle. Aurelio is momentarily forgotten next to the instrument. Like any child, Claudia goes up to the piano, and reaches out with her free hand to touch the keys. In her mind, she plays the opera her uncle had been singing moments before. In reality, she plays an out of tune piece that makes no sense whatsoever.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [28] = 28 /35%
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8
JIC: 1d100: [29] = 29

Conditions: Spirit guide absent

Skills used:
Detect concealment: 1d100: [80] = 80 /40%
Research: 1d100: [82] = 82 /50%

Virginia follows Ms. Di Mantua into the study. She is startled as the girl starts playing the piano. Although she winces a little at the notes, she is glad of some sound in the house.

Virginia nods at Mr. Di Mantua and looks around in the study for clues as to what the Captain was reading or writing before his death. She looks for books that look like they were being read, papers in the drawers of the desk or in a typewriter, the books in bookshelves that look well used, or anything on the desk and in the waste paper basket. (Research)

She then searches the study for anything hidden - like hidden compartments in the desk, loose floor boards, secret buttons in bookcases if there are any, anything hidden in the piano. She taps walls and floorboards, moves paintings hanging on the wall (if any), tests desks and bookcases for secret compartments and hidden entryways etc. (Detect concealment)
Zachary Splindt

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [57] = 57 (15%)
JIC 1d100: 1d100: [1] = 1
JIC 1d20: 1d20: [15] = 15
Research: 1d100: [16] = 16 (55%)
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary's face is grim as he notices books of ghosts and demons. "Captain, you fool. What were you thinking?" the detective mumbles to himself. Zachary skims through the pages, keeping an eye out for anything that appears to be associated with wolves (Research). Midway through, Zachary stops to address the others in the room. "I've found something here," the detective calls out in a low voice, "might give us some answers." In contrast to earlier, Zachary is too distracted by the books to care whether the others believe him or not.

Zachary shivers at the sudden onset of cold, which is enough to bring his attention back from his reading. Might be a help if we get some fire going in here, Zachary thinks to himself. If time permits following checking the books, Zachary goes to the chandelier to pick up one of the lit candles and takes a quick look around the area for anything that can be used as kindling (Perception).
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Callum

Post by Callum »

Percep 40%: 1d100: [57] = 57
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 1d100: [86] = 86

Skill rolls
Detect Ambush 45%= 1d100: [85] = 85 To make sure they aren't snuck up on

Not finding a desk in the Library, Callum puts his hands on his hips and looks around the room. Seeing the women head north in to what looks like the parlor for what he can see of the room past the women as they enter. He whips his head around a couple times, "Say, where'd the big guy go."

Not waiting on anyone to answer, Callum heads back into the central room. Seeing that someone has opened more of the doors, he moves around the room counter clockwise to look into each room. Sticking his head into the parlor, he nods to the women before moving on and glancing into the northern stairwell.

When he hits the next room a smile works its way across his face as he recognizes an office. Making his way into the office, Callum heads straight for the desk in the hopes it will shed some light on what the Captain was doing out here. Engrossed in his search of the office, Callum has a fleeting thought, I really should do find the big guy...I'll just look a little bit more first.
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 16th, 1925. 1:10 PM (1 hour has passed since last post)
Inside Whitlach Manor

Aurelio makes his way through all the rooms he’s opened up and draws open all of the curtains, which are heavy and light blocking, but also mildly insulating against the cold. Aurelio for his part makes only one real notation of the place. Captain Whitlach was likely wealthy, given the size of the home, and the amount of superfluous rooms that most normal people wouldn’t even think of having in their homes. Once sitting in the study, the only room that doesn’t seem to be tidy that Aurelio has seen thus far. But to his untrained eye, nothing stands out of particular interest to him (Crit Fail Perception)

Claudia contemplates cold, while making her way almost absent mindedly into the parlor, for lack of a better term. Claudia finds herself drawn to the grand piano sitting in the corner of the room, he small hands begin to make a few notes, before some whim takes over and she begins playing a haunting tune. (Used your Just in Case)

Virginia makes her way into the study and finds it a mess, papers strewn about across the desk and floor without a care. Virginia begins to root about looking for hints as to what has happened or what the late Captain was researching. For the moment, Virginia is coming up relatively blank as a lot of the papers seem to be logistical, mainly amounting to accounting and other business ventures, but the topics seem varied enough that she isn’t entirely sure what it would mean (Failed Research Roll) She moves on to looking for secrets hidden in the room, but again finds nothing of the sort (Failed Detect Concealment Roll). This whole process takes a bit of time.

Meanwhile in the library, Zachary looks into the books and tries to make sense of the fantastical information he’s been told thus far. Eventually his search finds a rather out of place book sitting on the floor near the chair by the fire, as if casually discarded. It is a slim leather bound journal, and the title page reads, “A Study of Corrupted Holler Magic”. Inside the book is a piece of paper marking the beginning of a chapter on Hounds of Rot and Decay. With this found, Zachary decides to light a fire in the nearby fireplace, finding all the things needed to do so readily available near the hearth.

Callum seems to have a similar idea as Virginia and Aurellio and makes his way into the study or office, either seems a reasonable assumption. Callum also searches the desk, and finds much the same as Virginia. Ledgers and papers detailing business dealings, but with them scattered about, the context is lost.

All of these investigations have taken some time and approximately an hour passes. Over the noise of folks moving around and fussing with things Virginia and Claudia hear a distant howl, it seems either far away or muffled.

Butcher's Bill
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
Medals
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [68] = 68
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 1d100: [64] = 64
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [31] = 31
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. English-illiterate.
Streetwise: Weird 40% / 1d100: [34] = 34
Lore: Religion 45% / 1d100: [44] = 44

Aurelio gets up with his Lucky Strike still hanging, lit from his lower lip. "I will leave you two to look for information here. I...cannot read the English, only Italian." Hearing music he cranes his head and looks at Virginia & Callum, "Claudia, perhaps? I didn't know she could play." He crosses through the large, open room just outside the study, following the music to find Claudia playing a piano.

"Toppolina? I did not know you could play piano, but please, keep playing." He finally takes note that it's kind of cold in the room. Claudia looks cold. "I'll get a fire going to warm everyone up." He leaves Claudia at the piano and heads back into the wide open room. Noting the fireplace, he heads over and starts to gather what's necessary to get a fire started. If there's a lack of kindling to get the wood going, he'll dip back into the study.

"I'm going to start a fire in the fireplace. Claudia looks cold. If you spot any worthless magazines, newspapers, or books, I could use the kindling." He first inspects the fireplace very closely while making sure he has all assets necessary for a good blaze. It wouldn't be unusual for someone to hide something in the fireplace after all. He even goes so far as to look up inside the chimney with his lighter as light.
Aurelio
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [6] = 6 /41%
JIC: 1d100: [62] = 62
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14

Condition: Spirit guide absent

Skills used: See and communicate with other spirits.

Virginia lets out a sigh "What a mess this all is!" she shakes her head at the papers strewn about. After fruitlessly rifling through the contents of his study, Virginia settles in a chair to rest for a few moments.

She perks up when she hears Mr. Splindt call out that he found something. As she's getting up to join him, she suddenly visibly tenses. She instantly looks wary and troubled. After a brief pause due to shock, she immediately heads towards the nearest window and looks outside. "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes" she unthinkingly quotes. She looks for anything supernatural out of the windows. (See and communicate with other spirits.) She walks rapidly towards Mr. Splindt in the library looking out of every window on the way. (See and communicate with other spirits.)

"What have you found, Mr. Splindt? I hope it sheds some light on what is going on. I fear trouble is not far away." she says, looking anxious and disturbed.
Zachary Splindt

Perception 1D100: 1d100: [4] = 4 (15%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [18] = 18
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [14] = 14

Decay... where could we find decay... Zachary thinks to himself. The house is dirty, but decaying is a bit of a stretch. Maybe something outside... Suddenly, an idea pops into Zachary's head. Maybe the blood in the snow can confirm things. Might be worth checking again to be sure.
Virginia wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:47 pm Location: Captain Whitlach's library

"What have you found, Mr. Splindt? I hope it sheds some light on what is going on. I fear trouble is not far away." she says, looking anxious and disturbed.
"Looks like our good captain might have been sniffing into some business he shouldn't have," Zachary replies as he walks from the fireplace to the collection of occult books. Taking the slim leather bound book of holler magic, Zachary passes it over to Virginia. "It's a stretch, but there is a chapter bookmarked here mentioning some kind of rotting hounds. Think this explains your gh- sorry, demon?"
Dice rolls
1d100: [33] = 33
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Skills used :
Research 1d100: [91] = 91 /60% (to look for anything related to lesser demons, murder, death, corpses, ancient or forgotten in the book)
Literacy 1d100: [77] = 77 /84% (to read the entire chapter if necessary)

Virginia raises an eyebrow when she sees the book Mr. Splindt hold out "Thank you, Mr. Splindt. Hopefully this could be useful....and timely. I hear something wolflike outside. Let's hope it doesn't get too close before we are ready for it!" She opens the book at the page marked by the piece of paper and exclaims "Hounds of rot and decay! Hounds do look wolfish. Maybe this is it..." her voice trails off as she rapidly starts scanning the chapter. "Let me see, lesser demons...murder, death, corpses...ancient or forgotten..." she mutters as she looks for anything related to lesser demons, murder, death and corpses and anything ancient or forgotten. (Research)

If she doesn't find anything related to the clues she got from the Olfactory read, she will start to read the whole chapter to see if what they are dealing with could be anything described in that chapter. (Literacy)
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [48] = 48 / 20%
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [26] = 26
Current I.S.P.: 20
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?

Inside Captain Whitlock’s House, In the Parlor
Aurelio wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:38 pmHe crosses through the large, open room just outside the study, following the music to find Claudia playing a piano.

"Toppolina? I did not know you could play piano, but please, keep playing." He finally takes note that it's kind of cold in the room. Claudia looks cold. "I'll get a fire going to warm everyone up."
Claudia is lost to the beautiful but haunting music that she plays. She doesn’t realize that her uncle joins her until she hears him speak. Her hands pause over the keys, the music stopping. Without looking up at Aurelio, Claudia whispers softly, “Mama played.” Her words hint at sadness.

Within her mind, Claudia pictures her mother playing for her. It’s a sweet tune, maybe a lullaby. But the image becomes distorted when Claudia remembers the night she lost both her parents. Claudia pushes the grim memory away and her hands begin to move along the piano keys again. Can you hear me, Mama?
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Date: February 16th, 1925. 1:20 PM (10 minutes have passed since last post)
Virginia: Research (to look for anything related to lesser demons, murder, death, corpses, ancient or forgotten in the book): See post, note the research skill takes a d4 hours minimum everytime it’s used.
Literacy (to read the entire chapter if necessary): See post.

Inside Whitlach Manor

Aurelio checks on Claudia to find her idly playing with the piano. Now realizing the cold in the air, makes the decision to start a fire in the main hall fireplace. Aurelio finds everything needed to start a fire and plenty of wood to do so. But before he goes about his pyrotechnic task, he examines the fireplace, but finds nothing unusual about the structure. After a few minutes of work there is a fire that should last for a few hours if maintained.

Virginia makes note of the mess, and the sound of howling, looking about for ghosts and spectres, but finding none readily apparent, Virginia then makes her way from the study to the Library to see what Mr. Splindt has found.

Zachary for his part hands Virginia the worn journal that he found. Commenting about the brief check of its contents.

Virginia excitedly and haphazardly searches the journal. But nothing jumps out to her as the answer to the mental questions she’s asking herself. A slightly more controlled reading of the bookmarked section, tells her the following.
A Study of Corrupted Holler Magic wrote: On hounds of rot and decay;

A lengthy discussion with the holler witch introduced me to a possible new threat. A hound made of decayed, rotten plants and animal offal. They largely resemble hounds or wolves from a distance or in the dark of night, but in the light the veneer is lost. They are dangerous murderous creatures summoned by practitioners of the dark arts, corrupting magic known to followers of the green. While no harder to kill than dogs or wolves, they are resistant to staying dead. Unless the focus of their life is found, usually some manner of perverse witches bottle. While proper wards would likely keep such a creature at bay, one would likely be at its mercy if it’s bottle was placed inside the wards…
Claudia continues to idly play the piano, though now the notes are more random and sporadic, until a strong discordant note, tolls when her thoughts turn dark.
Callum, not seeing much else, follows Aurellio into the Main Hall. It’s about here that everyone hears the sound of a canine howl, whether it’s wolf or hound is unknown.

Butcher's Bill
Medals
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [46] = 46 /41%
JIC: 1d100: [9] = 9
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12

Skills used:

Lore: Demons and monsters: 1d100: [9] = 9 /60%

Virginia closes the book after reading about the hounds of rot and decay. As she does so, the howls get louder. She is quite sure everybody has heard them.

She moves into the Main Hall and says "It seems likely to me that these howls we are hearing come form the same creatures that killed the Captain. According to this book" she waves the book around "they are dangerous, but can be killed like any dog or wolf. But they do not remain dead." She pauses here to let the significance sink in. "It appears that their focus of life is in a witch's bottle. If that can be destroyed, they are destroyed also. As of now, I suppose we have no time to look for such a bottle, since the wolves seem to be close. Unless anyone has found anything like that?" she looks around interrogatively. "The book also says it is possible to be protected from them by placing wards, but if the bottle happens to be inside wards, then all is lost." She sighs, and continues "I suppose the options are to either kill them any way we can now, or trap them somehow so that they don't escape. Either option will buy us some time to look for the bottle and destroy them once and for all. What do you all think?" she ends holding out the book for anyone to read.

She walks over to the window to look out to see if she can spot the wolves (perception) and says quietly "I personally would prefer to trap them. We do not know what brought them here, or if they indeed killed the captain or if they did kill him, their reason for doing so. I would hate to kill for no good reason." As she waits for the others' suggestions, she tries to think if she recalls anything about hounds of rot and decay. (Lore Demons and Monsters)
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [27] = 27
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 1d100: [38] = 38
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [76] = 76
Consumer wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:03 amClaudia continues to idly play the piano, though now the notes are more random and sporadic, until a strong discordant note, tolls when her thoughts turn dark. Callum, not seeing much else, follows Aurellio into the Main Hall. It’s about here that everyone hears the sound of a canine howl, whether it’s wolf or hound is unknown.
Virginia wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:57 pm"It seems likely to me that these howls we are hearing come form the same creatures that killed the Captain. According to this book they are dangerous, but can be killed like any dog or wolf. But they do not remain dead. It appears that their focus of life is in a witch's bottle. If that can be destroyed, they are destroyed also. As of now, I suppose we have no time to look for such a bottle, since the wolves seem to be close. Unless anyone has found anything like that? The book also says it is possible to be protected from them by placing wards, but if the bottle happens to be inside wards, then all is lost. I suppose the options are to either kill them any way we can now, or trap them somehow so that they don't escape. Either option will buy us some time to look for the bottle and destroy them once and for all. What do you all think? I personally would prefer to trap them. We do not know what brought them here, or if they indeed killed the captain or if they did kill him, their reason for doing so. I would hate to kill for no good reason."
Aurelio, upon hearing the howls and Virginia's assessment & explanation, crosses himself, stoops over to give Claudia a warm hug, and tells her "Be brave, but if bad things happen to me, get inside something sturdy like a big, heavy trunk or a closet with a heavy door, and stay quiet until hours after all the bad sounds have stopped." Dios mio, today begins my training, and I haven't even had time for the heavy bag. He gives her a quick kiss on her forehead, and stands up tall and straight. "I will buy you time. Lock and barricade outside doors but the one in the mud room. I'll draw their attention there and entice them to come through me. Find this bottle and keep Claudia safe." Aurelio will then help with any efforts at securing & barricading the doors (save for the mud room door) until such time as the hounds might seem to be getting close. At that time, he'll step outside and stand with his arms across his chest, feet set widely apart, and make himself a large, visible target just outside the mud room.
Aurelio
Callum

Post by Callum »

Percep 40%: 1d100: [28] = 28
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 1d100: [52] = 52

Skill rolls
Detect Ambush 45%= 1d100: [39] = 39 To make sure they aren't snuck up on

Callum looks a bit out of his element, "What in tarnation is a witch's bottle? For that matter, what is a ward? Sounds like some sort of magic perimeter line." He draws back and looks toward the Foyer, "Are we sure the front door is closed? A lot of us have been in and out." He glances over to Virginia with an eyebrow raised then hurries into the Foyer to make sure the door is shut and locked from the inside (if possible).

Hurrying back Callum skids to a stop and says, "If that howl is a rot hound, we're likely better off in here than outside. Its more defensible and the thing's likely speed won't be as big an advantage to it, unless you guys want to run for the car and get into town?" Callum gives each of them a look of appraisal, The big guy and Zach are fighters, though Ari will likely be defensive and protect his niece. Mrs. Virgina on the other hand, I'm not sure about. She could be a screamer though she did pretty much lead us here so she could surprise us.

If they decide to stay, Callum looks to Virginia and asks, "Any ideas as to what a ward or witches bottle might look like? Corrupted or otherwise?"
Zachary Splindt

Perception: 1d100: [54] = 54 (15%)
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [4] = 4
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [46] = 46

Almost instincitvely after hearing the baying of wolves, Zachary reaches into his coat sleeve to pull out one of the wooden stakes. He holds it close while seeing how the others react. The detective is surprised to find that the others don’t seem to be too baffled at the idea of supernatural hounds.
Virginia wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:57 pm She moves into the Main Hall and says "It seems likely to me that these howls we are hearing come form the same creatures that killed the Captain. According to this book" she waves the book around "they are dangerous, but can be killed like any dog or wolf. But they do not remain dead." She pauses here to let the significance sink in. "It appears that their focus of life is in a witch's bottle. If that can be destroyed, they are destroyed also. As of now, I suppose we have no time to look for such a bottle, since the wolves seem to be close. Unless anyone has found anything like that?" she looks around interrogatively. "The book also says it is possible to be protected from them by placing wards, but if the bottle happens to be inside wards, then all is lost." She sighs, and continues "I suppose the options are to either kill them any way we can now, or trap them somehow so that they don't escape. Either option will buy us some time to look for the bottle and destroy them once and for all. What do you all think?" she ends holding out the book for anyone to read.

She walks over to the window to look out to see if she can spot the wolves (perception) and says quietly "I personally would prefer to trap them. We do not know what brought them here, or if they indeed killed the captain or if they did kill him, their reason for doing so. I would hate to kill for no good reason." As she waits for the others' suggestions, she tries to think if she recalls anything about hounds of rot and decay. (Lore Demons and Monsters)
Zachary reacts with confusion and a bit of annoyance. Of course they would be here to kill the captain! The supernatural don’t just show up for a friendly visit. What else would they be doing here? Zachary is about to object to capturing them when he hears about the witch’s bottle. I guess that is some kind of middle ground, the detective thinks to himself with a small sigh. “It’ll be hard taking on those hounds non-lethally without using any of those wards you were talking about.” Zachary helps with the barricading and tries to steal a glance at the number of wolves outside (Perception).

If there are more than three hounds, Zachary stands with Aurelio outside of the house. I think he knows what he’s doing. Better I stay out of his way and see if there is an opening somewhere. Zachary stands a bit behind the boxer, but keeps an eye on the sides to make sure none of the hounds decide to flank. The detective firmly grips the stake in his hand and braces for the hounds to pounce.

If there are three or less hounds, Zachary considers searching for the bottle instead. This guy is a boxer. I think he should be able to hold them off himself. The more eyes looking for this bottle, the sooner we’ll find it. Before Aurelio leaves, Zachary waves to get his attention. “I bet you can take them on, but it wouldn’t be fair if we were ‘throwing you to the wolves’. If you need an extra set of hands to keep them away, just holler.” Turning to the rest of the group, Zachary offers a plan. “We don’t have much time to search everywhere. Anyone have any ideas on where we can find this bottle? Maybe some kind of ritual site? If nobody has any ideas, then we might be better off splitting up and each going off into an individual room.
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [93] = 93 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10 / 1d100: [3] = 3
Current I.S.P.: 43
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Psionics Used: Suppress Fear (-8, already taken from her current I.S.P.) on Ari

Inside Captain Whitlock’s House, Main Hall

The sound of howling captures Claudia’s attention. The dogs are singing! In a hurry, her hands slide away from the piano keys. A moment later, Claudia joins her uncle in the main hall of the house. “Did they hear the music?” she asks him, worried that she might have attracted danger to the group.
Virginia wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:57 pm"It appears that their focus of life is in a witch's bottle. If that can be destroyed, they are destroyed also. As of now, I suppose we have no time to look for such a bottle, since the wolves seem to be close. Unless anyone has found anything like that?" she looks around interrogatively.
Claudia takes a few seconds to mentally recall the items she has spotted so far, but a bottle doesn’t come to mind. She offers a little shake of her head to Virginia, but adds, “I’ll help.”
Aurelio wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:53 amAurelio...crosses himself, stoops over to give Claudia a warm hug, and tells her "Be brave, but if bad things happen to me, get inside something sturdy like a big, heavy trunk or a closet with a heavy door, and stay quiet until hours after all the bad sounds have stopped."
A small smile comes to Claudia’s lips when her uncle kisses her forehead. She nods to let him know that she understands. “Be safe,” she instructs Ari in return. She touches his cheek lightly and bestows Suppress Fear upon him. And with that, the girl leaves the main hall, seeking out the witch’s bottle. Bottles sleep in kitchens, she reasons. Maybe there? Or maybe somewhere it can be kept safe...safe… Claudia takes a deep breath and hopes that maybe the bottle they need will call out to her (Psychic Bloodhound, perhaps? Please feel free to move Claudia a room or two in the right direction if you think this works. The kitchen pantry seems like a good spot to find bottles, but maybe there is a hidden safe in the library or upstairs.).
Claudia
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Date: February 16th, 1925. 1:35 PM (10 minutes have passed since last post)
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Active Investigating (Claudia is at x3)
Virginia: Lore: Demons and monsters (What does Viginia Know about Hounds of Rot and Decay?): Nothing, the note in the Journal is the first time she’s ever heard of the creatures.
Callum: Detect Ambush (To make sure they aren't snuck up on.)

Inside Whitlach Manor

Maps not 100% correct, I misplaced Zachary (Problem with skimmed reading). So he’s in the main hall.

Virginia goes on at a bit of length about what she’s determined from the relatively short journal passage. Mentioning that the source of the Hound of Decay and Rot is likely a corrupted Witches Bottle, that would have to be somewhere on site. Virginia also suggests trying to capture the creature, but has no mention as to how.

Aurelio decides a more selfless tactic and makes moves to limit how the creatures could get to the group. Moving to the only exterior door he’s seen, in the mudroom. He looks to see what can be done to block the interior door, surmising that moving one of the cabinets in front of the door should be sufficient.

Callum joins Aurelio and helps block the interior door off (No locks), moving the armor stand in front. Meanwhile Zachary questions what they are looking for, from those that may be in the know.

Meanwhile Claudia decides to help. At first she thinks that the bottle could be in the kitchen or pantry, even going so far as taking a look in that room, when she notices a glowing strand of light. This takes almost all of her attention and focus as Claudia begins to follow it, The glowing strand fades from view once Claudia finds herself on the second floor.

At the door and any windows being looked out of, the howls can still be heard and the pines on the edge of the property can be seen shifting as something prowls the edge of the woods, but the forest is dark and hides it’s secrets even in the midday sun. Several long minutes pass, but other than howls, no creature emerges.

Butcher's Bill
Claudia: -8 I.S.P., Suppress Fear.
Medals
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [76] = 76 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [43] = 43
Current I.S.P.: 43
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?

Inside Captain Whitlock’s House, Kitchen first, then Upstairs

Not here, Claudia thinks to herself. The witch’s bottle that Virginia needs isn’t found in the captain’s kitchen. However, a glowing thread of light catches Claudia’s eye and leads her up the back stairs. Wait for me… She follows the light until it fades away.

In the upstairs hall, Claudia takes a look around and notices another suit of armor guarding the space. “Sir Knight,” she greets the suit of armor politely. She walks up to the knight and knocks on its chest a couple of times. “Do you have the bottle?”

Assuming nothing interesting comes from the suit of armor, Claudia moves on, trying to locate the mysterious thread of light or witch's bottle again. If nothing leads her in a different direction, she’ll try the room just north of the suit of armor, near the main staircase.
Claudia
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 43% / 1d100: [86] = 86
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 1d100: [35] = 35
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [98] = 98
Lore: Religion 50% / 1d100: [27] = 27 (anything ring a bell re: the hounds?)
Streetwise: Weird 45% / 1d100: [89] = 89 (anything ring a bell re: the hounds?)

While Ari keeps watch on the treeline he considers their problem. "Hounds of Rot and Decay"...the phrasing and word choice sounds religious in nature. Ari thinks on whether or not the name or phrase brings to mind anything from scripture (even the apocrypha), or whether he's heard tell of such in his upbringing on the streets in multiple countries now. So many peoples have so many fears, so many tales, some so very different, but some very similar or virtually the same. Some of these must be phony, but certainly many must be true as well. An old wive's tale in Milan is accepted as common knowledge in Bucharest. While keeping his eyes watching the treeline, he calls out "There's something in treeline, but not coming out. Anyone needs me to help do else? Just ask." Splitting his attention between watching and speaking doesn't allow him to focus his thoughts on speaking, and so his words are a bit more clumsy even than usual.
Aurelio
Callum

Post by Callum »

Percep 43%: 1d100: [71] = 71
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 1d100: [33] = 33

Skill rolls
Detect Ambush 50%= 1d100: [28] = 28 To make sure they aren't snuck up on
Tracking (people) 45%= 1d100: [8] = 8 to see if he can find Claudia
Callum says, "That fact that the Captain was killed outside might be good news if any of this is true. Might mean that the hound couldn't get into the house. Maybe it just starved the Captain out then made its move when he made a run for the car. O'course that means we'd be in the same situation now too. Did anyone check the kitchen to see how this place is set for food?"

Callum glances around to see if anyone heard him then whips his head around to look at the two men before turning to Virginia with a concerned look, "Where'd the girl go?" He spins around as if gauging his location in the house before he sets off toward the dining room. Passing through the dinning room he doesn't pause unless he sees Claudia, then goes into the kitchen. In the kitchen he will slow and look over whatever passes as a pantry and in the cub boards.

If he still has not located Claudia, his head will flick up to look at the ceiling, then he will head to the western stairs. Looking at the floor to see if there are any feet prints in the dust. None of us have been upstairs yet, so this should all be undisturbed.

Making his way upstairs, Callum cautiously make his way down the hall. I'll head for the north stairs. If its not too big up here I should be able to find her without having to backtrack.
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [50] = 50 /41%
JIC: 1d100: [90] = 90
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18

Skills used: Literacy 1d100: [72] = 72 /84%

As everyone gets busy barricading the house, Virginia wonders about the witches bottle. What is it? What does it look like? She searches the book to get more information about the witches bottle (literacy). Being engrossed in the book, she is oblivious to events around her.
Zachary Splindt

Perception 1D100: 1d100: [80] = 80 (18%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [77] = 77
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [6] = 6
Crime Scene Investigation: 1d100: [98] = 98 (55%)

Looks like we’ve checked the library. Something like that wouldn’t be in a kitchen or dining room. Where else could it be? Noticing that Claudia ran upstairs with Callum following suit, Zachary follows suit through the western stairway. As the detective makes his way up the stairs, a thought crosses his mind. We did check the garage, but we didn’t check it for anything in particular. What if it’s hidden in there... Zachary considers the idea, but puts it to the side. Gonna be hard to do with those hounds running around. Let’s make sure we know that it’s not in here.

Having reached the second floor, Zachary cautiously opens one of the doors (the room left to the set of armor), and looks around. If this room appears safe and has any desks or drawers, Zachary rifles through them (Crime Scene Investigation).
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Date: February 16th, 1925. 1:45 PM (10 minutes have passed since last post)
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Active Investigating (Claudia is at x3)
Inside Whitlach Manor

Didn’t have time to update the maps, will do so sometime soon.

Claudia questions the knight but he seems content to continue his silent guarding of the upper hall, and doesn’t respond. With her intense interrogation out of the way, Claudia makes her way to the first room that peaks her fancy. The door opens easily, and reveals a well appointed bedroom, though to her even unknowledgeable eye she can tell no one really lived in this room, likely for guests or family that visits. With the room revealed, Claudia begins to search in earnest and after several minutes, finds nothing but a few errant dust bunnies and some spare linens, oddly enough Claudia does note the room has its own private privy, and what seems to be a dressing room.

Aurelio continues his vigil from the blocked off foyer. He can see whatever is moving in the tree line is aggressive and broody, as it continues to growl and occasionally howl into the air. Aurelio takes a moment to yell into the house what he sees, and ask if they need help, but no one immediately responds. Aurellio thinks on what he does know, and due to his christian upbringing, he considers a known factor even noted in the bible once or twice; Hellhounds. Aurelio is sure the creature isn’t one specifically, but they do seem to have some similarities in their description. Namely that Hellhounds don’t come out into the light, and given the thickness of the forest and the relative time of day, that may be the one thing keeping the creature from approaching the house.

Callum responds to Aurelio, before going on a mild tangent about the creature possibly having sieged the late Captain to desperation. To check on his theory, Callum makes his way into the kitchen and finds the pantry still relatively full, so whatever lured the Captain outside, wasn’t hunger. Callum considers where Claudia may have gone, and does eventually find the girl upstairs, she’s currently looking under a bed in what he guesses is a guest room.

Virginia delves deeper into the journal, looking for more answers. While the journal is full of interesting bits of information, telling of a rich magical tradition of the insular people of the Appalachian Mountains, it never rightly describes a Witch’s Bottle, apparently assuming the reader already knows. (GM Hint: Lore: Paranormal would tell you more. ~Consumer) All the while, Virginia can feel a cold sweat forming on her brow and the back of her neck, time moving inexorably forward to possible demise.

Zachary spies Callum heading upstairs and he too, decides to follow. He notes Callum is watching Claudia in one room, so he makes his way to the next door and finds a closet, it mostly has sundries and linens, but it warrants a search from the former Pinkerton Agent.

Butcher's Bill
Claudia: -8 I.S.P., Suppress Fear.
Medals

Return to “Boxed Nightmares”