The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

BTS2 Adventure Forum

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Consumer
Game Master

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 16th, 1925. 12:10 PM (5 minutes have passed since last post)
Weather: 22 degrees Fahrenheit; Partly Cloudy
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Active Investigating
Mr. Zachary Splindt: Research Entire sections of the library are on the subjects.
Mrs. Virginia Revel: Lore: Demons & Monsters (to find out about ancient and forgotten lesser demons): Nothing particular comes to mind, and the closest thing Virginia can think of is a Hell Hound, and she is certain she didn’t smell that.
Research (to find out what books Captain Whitlach was reading the most recently): Unsure, no books seem to be “recently” read.
Ms. Claudia Di Mantua: No skills used.
Mr. Callum Doyle: Detect Ambush (To make sure they aren't snuck up on)
Mr. Aurelio Di Mantua: No skills used.

Inside Whitlach Manor

Claudia begins opening the curtains of the Library, While Aurelio opens doors to other rooms, he finds them all unlocked and freely openable, if sometimes protestant with squeaky hinges due to the cold. (I am not sure how I missed that in the last post, but it’s done now. ~Consumer) Aurelio in his opening of doors finds what may be a sitting room, or parlor, a pair of stairways, both leading upstairs. Some manner of office, or study, a closet, and what may be the dining room. All of these rooms appear dark and empty, with only the light brought from the main hall, and what is in hand shining in.

Virginia, Zachary, and Callum enter the library and begin to look for clues. Virginia is unable to find anything that seem like research that the late Captain Whitlach was reading, Zachary finds the opposite of that with dozens of books on the subjects of ghosts and demons, and likely more, but his knowledge of foriegn languages is limited. Callum looks for a desk, but only finds a few tables. They’re surprisingly tidy, as if the man didn’t actually do his reading in the library.

The group as a whole is feeling the cold at this point, it’s as if the world wants to drain the vitality from their very bones. Coupled with the general quiet, and the lack of light, it makes for a macabre scene.

What are your intentions?

Butcher's Bill
Mrs. Virginia Revel: -8 I.S.P.
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [99] = 99
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 1d100: [21] = 21
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [99] = 99
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. English-illiterate.
GM wrote:Aurelio in his opening of doors finds what may be a sitting room, or parlor, a pair of stairways, both leading upstairs. Some manner of office, or study, a closet, and what may be the dining room. All of these rooms appear dark and empty, with only the light brought from the main hall, and what is in hand shining in.
Aurelio gets to doing what a decent maid would likely do, at least in his mind, in a situation like this: open up all the shutters & drapes amid all the rooms to let in some light. I remember mama would act like this during spring cleaning. Papa would always be flustered about the fresh light falling in his little "den" where he kept his various pipe tobacco in mason jars. He starts with the parlor then heads upstairs and repeats such in the study and dining room. Presumably the closet has no windows of its own, but if so he will open these last. "Voila!" he exclaims to himself once done. Finally, a chance to shed some light on things literally. He'll then head to the study where he will have a seat (assuming such furnishings exist), sit down, and enjoy some of his cigarette while taking his time to really soak in the details of the study.
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [15] = 15 / 20%
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [31] = 31
Current I.S.P.: 20
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?

Inside Captain Whitlock’s House
Consumer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:14 amThe group as a whole is feeling the cold at this point, it’s as if the world wants to drain the vitality from their very bones.
“It’s cold,” Claudia complains to those within earshot. “Winter and death.” Where is Uncle Ari? He could start a fire. Maybe there is tea in the captain’s kitchen…

Armed with a single candle, Claudia slips past Callum and wanders from the library into the next room. It appears to be an office or maybe a parlor (I’m not sure which room is located just north of Claudia’s position on the map.). “Uncle Ari?” In the dim light, she locates a piano instead of her uncle. Aurelio is momentarily forgotten next to the instrument. Like any child, Claudia goes up to the piano, and reaches out with her free hand to touch the keys. In her mind, she plays the opera her uncle had been singing moments before. In reality, she plays an out of tune piece that makes no sense whatsoever.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [28] = 28 /35%
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8
JIC: 1d100: [29] = 29

Conditions: Spirit guide absent

Skills used:
Detect concealment: 1d100: [80] = 80 /40%
Research: 1d100: [82] = 82 /50%

Virginia follows Ms. Di Mantua into the study. She is startled as the girl starts playing the piano. Although she winces a little at the notes, she is glad of some sound in the house.

Virginia nods at Mr. Di Mantua and looks around in the study for clues as to what the Captain was reading or writing before his death. She looks for books that look like they were being read, papers in the drawers of the desk or in a typewriter, the books in bookshelves that look well used, or anything on the desk and in the waste paper basket. (Research)

She then searches the study for anything hidden - like hidden compartments in the desk, loose floor boards, secret buttons in bookcases if there are any, anything hidden in the piano. She taps walls and floorboards, moves paintings hanging on the wall (if any), tests desks and bookcases for secret compartments and hidden entryways etc. (Detect concealment)
Zachary Splindt

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [57] = 57 (15%)
JIC 1d100: 1d100: [1] = 1
JIC 1d20: 1d20: [15] = 15
Research: 1d100: [16] = 16 (55%)
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary's face is grim as he notices books of ghosts and demons. "Captain, you fool. What were you thinking?" the detective mumbles to himself. Zachary skims through the pages, keeping an eye out for anything that appears to be associated with wolves (Research). Midway through, Zachary stops to address the others in the room. "I've found something here," the detective calls out in a low voice, "might give us some answers." In contrast to earlier, Zachary is too distracted by the books to care whether the others believe him or not.

Zachary shivers at the sudden onset of cold, which is enough to bring his attention back from his reading. Might be a help if we get some fire going in here, Zachary thinks to himself. If time permits following checking the books, Zachary goes to the chandelier to pick up one of the lit candles and takes a quick look around the area for anything that can be used as kindling (Perception).
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Callum

Post by Callum »

Percep 40%: 1d100: [57] = 57
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 1d100: [86] = 86

Skill rolls
Detect Ambush 45%= 1d100: [85] = 85 To make sure they aren't snuck up on

Not finding a desk in the Library, Callum puts his hands on his hips and looks around the room. Seeing the women head north in to what looks like the parlor for what he can see of the room past the women as they enter. He whips his head around a couple times, "Say, where'd the big guy go."

Not waiting on anyone to answer, Callum heads back into the central room. Seeing that someone has opened more of the doors, he moves around the room counter clockwise to look into each room. Sticking his head into the parlor, he nods to the women before moving on and glancing into the northern stairwell.

When he hits the next room a smile works its way across his face as he recognizes an office. Making his way into the office, Callum heads straight for the desk in the hopes it will shed some light on what the Captain was doing out here. Engrossed in his search of the office, Callum has a fleeting thought, I really should do find the big guy...I'll just look a little bit more first.
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 16th, 1925. 1:10 PM (1 hour has passed since last post)
Inside Whitlach Manor

Aurelio makes his way through all the rooms he’s opened up and draws open all of the curtains, which are heavy and light blocking, but also mildly insulating against the cold. Aurelio for his part makes only one real notation of the place. Captain Whitlach was likely wealthy, given the size of the home, and the amount of superfluous rooms that most normal people wouldn’t even think of having in their homes. Once sitting in the study, the only room that doesn’t seem to be tidy that Aurelio has seen thus far. But to his untrained eye, nothing stands out of particular interest to him (Crit Fail Perception)

Claudia contemplates cold, while making her way almost absent mindedly into the parlor, for lack of a better term. Claudia finds herself drawn to the grand piano sitting in the corner of the room, he small hands begin to make a few notes, before some whim takes over and she begins playing a haunting tune. (Used your Just in Case)

Virginia makes her way into the study and finds it a mess, papers strewn about across the desk and floor without a care. Virginia begins to root about looking for hints as to what has happened or what the late Captain was researching. For the moment, Virginia is coming up relatively blank as a lot of the papers seem to be logistical, mainly amounting to accounting and other business ventures, but the topics seem varied enough that she isn’t entirely sure what it would mean (Failed Research Roll) She moves on to looking for secrets hidden in the room, but again finds nothing of the sort (Failed Detect Concealment Roll). This whole process takes a bit of time.

Meanwhile in the library, Zachary looks into the books and tries to make sense of the fantastical information he’s been told thus far. Eventually his search finds a rather out of place book sitting on the floor near the chair by the fire, as if casually discarded. It is a slim leather bound journal, and the title page reads, “A Study of Corrupted Holler Magic”. Inside the book is a piece of paper marking the beginning of a chapter on Hounds of Rot and Decay. With this found, Zachary decides to light a fire in the nearby fireplace, finding all the things needed to do so readily available near the hearth.

Callum seems to have a similar idea as Virginia and Aurellio and makes his way into the study or office, either seems a reasonable assumption. Callum also searches the desk, and finds much the same as Virginia. Ledgers and papers detailing business dealings, but with them scattered about, the context is lost.

All of these investigations have taken some time and approximately an hour passes. Over the noise of folks moving around and fussing with things Virginia and Claudia hear a distant howl, it seems either far away or muffled.

Butcher's Bill
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
Medals
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [68] = 68
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 1d100: [64] = 64
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [31] = 31
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. English-illiterate.
Streetwise: Weird 40% / 1d100: [34] = 34
Lore: Religion 45% / 1d100: [44] = 44

Aurelio gets up with his Lucky Strike still hanging, lit from his lower lip. "I will leave you two to look for information here. I...cannot read the English, only Italian." Hearing music he cranes his head and looks at Virginia & Callum, "Claudia, perhaps? I didn't know she could play." He crosses through the large, open room just outside the study, following the music to find Claudia playing a piano.

"Toppolina? I did not know you could play piano, but please, keep playing." He finally takes note that it's kind of cold in the room. Claudia looks cold. "I'll get a fire going to warm everyone up." He leaves Claudia at the piano and heads back into the wide open room. Noting the fireplace, he heads over and starts to gather what's necessary to get a fire started. If there's a lack of kindling to get the wood going, he'll dip back into the study.

"I'm going to start a fire in the fireplace. Claudia looks cold. If you spot any worthless magazines, newspapers, or books, I could use the kindling." He first inspects the fireplace very closely while making sure he has all assets necessary for a good blaze. It wouldn't be unusual for someone to hide something in the fireplace after all. He even goes so far as to look up inside the chimney with his lighter as light.
Aurelio
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [6] = 6 /41%
JIC: 1d100: [62] = 62
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14

Condition: Spirit guide absent

Skills used: See and communicate with other spirits.

Virginia lets out a sigh "What a mess this all is!" she shakes her head at the papers strewn about. After fruitlessly rifling through the contents of his study, Virginia settles in a chair to rest for a few moments.

She perks up when she hears Mr. Splindt call out that he found something. As she's getting up to join him, she suddenly visibly tenses. She instantly looks wary and troubled. After a brief pause due to shock, she immediately heads towards the nearest window and looks outside. "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes" she unthinkingly quotes. She looks for anything supernatural out of the windows. (See and communicate with other spirits.) She walks rapidly towards Mr. Splindt in the library looking out of every window on the way. (See and communicate with other spirits.)

"What have you found, Mr. Splindt? I hope it sheds some light on what is going on. I fear trouble is not far away." she says, looking anxious and disturbed.
Zachary Splindt

Perception 1D100: 1d100: [4] = 4 (15%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [18] = 18
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [14] = 14

Decay... where could we find decay... Zachary thinks to himself. The house is dirty, but decaying is a bit of a stretch. Maybe something outside... Suddenly, an idea pops into Zachary's head. Maybe the blood in the snow can confirm things. Might be worth checking again to be sure.
Virginia wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:47 pm Location: Captain Whitlach's library

"What have you found, Mr. Splindt? I hope it sheds some light on what is going on. I fear trouble is not far away." she says, looking anxious and disturbed.
"Looks like our good captain might have been sniffing into some business he shouldn't have," Zachary replies as he walks from the fireplace to the collection of occult books. Taking the slim leather bound book of holler magic, Zachary passes it over to Virginia. "It's a stretch, but there is a chapter bookmarked here mentioning some kind of rotting hounds. Think this explains your gh- sorry, demon?"
Dice rolls
1d100: [33] = 33
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Skills used :
Research 1d100: [91] = 91 /60% (to look for anything related to lesser demons, murder, death, corpses, ancient or forgotten in the book)
Literacy 1d100: [77] = 77 /84% (to read the entire chapter if necessary)

Virginia raises an eyebrow when she sees the book Mr. Splindt hold out "Thank you, Mr. Splindt. Hopefully this could be useful....and timely. I hear something wolflike outside. Let's hope it doesn't get too close before we are ready for it!" She opens the book at the page marked by the piece of paper and exclaims "Hounds of rot and decay! Hounds do look wolfish. Maybe this is it..." her voice trails off as she rapidly starts scanning the chapter. "Let me see, lesser demons...murder, death, corpses...ancient or forgotten..." she mutters as she looks for anything related to lesser demons, murder, death and corpses and anything ancient or forgotten. (Research)

If she doesn't find anything related to the clues she got from the Olfactory read, she will start to read the whole chapter to see if what they are dealing with could be anything described in that chapter. (Literacy)
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [48] = 48 / 20%
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [26] = 26
Current I.S.P.: 20
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?

Inside Captain Whitlock’s House, In the Parlor
Aurelio wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:38 pmHe crosses through the large, open room just outside the study, following the music to find Claudia playing a piano.

"Toppolina? I did not know you could play piano, but please, keep playing." He finally takes note that it's kind of cold in the room. Claudia looks cold. "I'll get a fire going to warm everyone up."
Claudia is lost to the beautiful but haunting music that she plays. She doesn’t realize that her uncle joins her until she hears him speak. Her hands pause over the keys, the music stopping. Without looking up at Aurelio, Claudia whispers softly, “Mama played.” Her words hint at sadness.

Within her mind, Claudia pictures her mother playing for her. It’s a sweet tune, maybe a lullaby. But the image becomes distorted when Claudia remembers the night she lost both her parents. Claudia pushes the grim memory away and her hands begin to move along the piano keys again. Can you hear me, Mama?
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Date: February 16th, 1925. 1:20 PM (10 minutes have passed since last post)
Virginia: Research (to look for anything related to lesser demons, murder, death, corpses, ancient or forgotten in the book): See post, note the research skill takes a d4 hours minimum everytime it’s used.
Literacy (to read the entire chapter if necessary): See post.

Inside Whitlach Manor

Aurelio checks on Claudia to find her idly playing with the piano. Now realizing the cold in the air, makes the decision to start a fire in the main hall fireplace. Aurelio finds everything needed to start a fire and plenty of wood to do so. But before he goes about his pyrotechnic task, he examines the fireplace, but finds nothing unusual about the structure. After a few minutes of work there is a fire that should last for a few hours if maintained.

Virginia makes note of the mess, and the sound of howling, looking about for ghosts and spectres, but finding none readily apparent, Virginia then makes her way from the study to the Library to see what Mr. Splindt has found.

Zachary for his part hands Virginia the worn journal that he found. Commenting about the brief check of its contents.

Virginia excitedly and haphazardly searches the journal. But nothing jumps out to her as the answer to the mental questions she’s asking herself. A slightly more controlled reading of the bookmarked section, tells her the following.
A Study of Corrupted Holler Magic wrote: On hounds of rot and decay;

A lengthy discussion with the holler witch introduced me to a possible new threat. A hound made of decayed, rotten plants and animal offal. They largely resemble hounds or wolves from a distance or in the dark of night, but in the light the veneer is lost. They are dangerous murderous creatures summoned by practitioners of the dark arts, corrupting magic known to followers of the green. While no harder to kill than dogs or wolves, they are resistant to staying dead. Unless the focus of their life is found, usually some manner of perverse witches bottle. While proper wards would likely keep such a creature at bay, one would likely be at its mercy if it’s bottle was placed inside the wards…
Claudia continues to idly play the piano, though now the notes are more random and sporadic, until a strong discordant note, tolls when her thoughts turn dark.
Callum, not seeing much else, follows Aurellio into the Main Hall. It’s about here that everyone hears the sound of a canine howl, whether it’s wolf or hound is unknown.

Butcher's Bill
Medals
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [46] = 46 /41%
JIC: 1d100: [9] = 9
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12

Skills used:

Lore: Demons and monsters: 1d100: [9] = 9 /60%

Virginia closes the book after reading about the hounds of rot and decay. As she does so, the howls get louder. She is quite sure everybody has heard them.

She moves into the Main Hall and says "It seems likely to me that these howls we are hearing come form the same creatures that killed the Captain. According to this book" she waves the book around "they are dangerous, but can be killed like any dog or wolf. But they do not remain dead." She pauses here to let the significance sink in. "It appears that their focus of life is in a witch's bottle. If that can be destroyed, they are destroyed also. As of now, I suppose we have no time to look for such a bottle, since the wolves seem to be close. Unless anyone has found anything like that?" she looks around interrogatively. "The book also says it is possible to be protected from them by placing wards, but if the bottle happens to be inside wards, then all is lost." She sighs, and continues "I suppose the options are to either kill them any way we can now, or trap them somehow so that they don't escape. Either option will buy us some time to look for the bottle and destroy them once and for all. What do you all think?" she ends holding out the book for anyone to read.

She walks over to the window to look out to see if she can spot the wolves (perception) and says quietly "I personally would prefer to trap them. We do not know what brought them here, or if they indeed killed the captain or if they did kill him, their reason for doing so. I would hate to kill for no good reason." As she waits for the others' suggestions, she tries to think if she recalls anything about hounds of rot and decay. (Lore Demons and Monsters)
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [27] = 27
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 1d100: [38] = 38
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [76] = 76
Consumer wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:03 amClaudia continues to idly play the piano, though now the notes are more random and sporadic, until a strong discordant note, tolls when her thoughts turn dark. Callum, not seeing much else, follows Aurellio into the Main Hall. It’s about here that everyone hears the sound of a canine howl, whether it’s wolf or hound is unknown.
Virginia wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:57 pm"It seems likely to me that these howls we are hearing come form the same creatures that killed the Captain. According to this book they are dangerous, but can be killed like any dog or wolf. But they do not remain dead. It appears that their focus of life is in a witch's bottle. If that can be destroyed, they are destroyed also. As of now, I suppose we have no time to look for such a bottle, since the wolves seem to be close. Unless anyone has found anything like that? The book also says it is possible to be protected from them by placing wards, but if the bottle happens to be inside wards, then all is lost. I suppose the options are to either kill them any way we can now, or trap them somehow so that they don't escape. Either option will buy us some time to look for the bottle and destroy them once and for all. What do you all think? I personally would prefer to trap them. We do not know what brought them here, or if they indeed killed the captain or if they did kill him, their reason for doing so. I would hate to kill for no good reason."
Aurelio, upon hearing the howls and Virginia's assessment & explanation, crosses himself, stoops over to give Claudia a warm hug, and tells her "Be brave, but if bad things happen to me, get inside something sturdy like a big, heavy trunk or a closet with a heavy door, and stay quiet until hours after all the bad sounds have stopped." Dios mio, today begins my training, and I haven't even had time for the heavy bag. He gives her a quick kiss on her forehead, and stands up tall and straight. "I will buy you time. Lock and barricade outside doors but the one in the mud room. I'll draw their attention there and entice them to come through me. Find this bottle and keep Claudia safe." Aurelio will then help with any efforts at securing & barricading the doors (save for the mud room door) until such time as the hounds might seem to be getting close. At that time, he'll step outside and stand with his arms across his chest, feet set widely apart, and make himself a large, visible target just outside the mud room.
Aurelio
Callum

Post by Callum »

Percep 40%: 1d100: [28] = 28
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 1d100: [52] = 52

Skill rolls
Detect Ambush 45%= 1d100: [39] = 39 To make sure they aren't snuck up on

Callum looks a bit out of his element, "What in tarnation is a witch's bottle? For that matter, what is a ward? Sounds like some sort of magic perimeter line." He draws back and looks toward the Foyer, "Are we sure the front door is closed? A lot of us have been in and out." He glances over to Virginia with an eyebrow raised then hurries into the Foyer to make sure the door is shut and locked from the inside (if possible).

Hurrying back Callum skids to a stop and says, "If that howl is a rot hound, we're likely better off in here than outside. Its more defensible and the thing's likely speed won't be as big an advantage to it, unless you guys want to run for the car and get into town?" Callum gives each of them a look of appraisal, The big guy and Zach are fighters, though Ari will likely be defensive and protect his niece. Mrs. Virgina on the other hand, I'm not sure about. She could be a screamer though she did pretty much lead us here so she could surprise us.

If they decide to stay, Callum looks to Virginia and asks, "Any ideas as to what a ward or witches bottle might look like? Corrupted or otherwise?"
Zachary Splindt

Perception: 1d100: [54] = 54 (15%)
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [4] = 4
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [46] = 46

Almost instincitvely after hearing the baying of wolves, Zachary reaches into his coat sleeve to pull out one of the wooden stakes. He holds it close while seeing how the others react. The detective is surprised to find that the others don’t seem to be too baffled at the idea of supernatural hounds.
Virginia wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:57 pm She moves into the Main Hall and says "It seems likely to me that these howls we are hearing come form the same creatures that killed the Captain. According to this book" she waves the book around "they are dangerous, but can be killed like any dog or wolf. But they do not remain dead." She pauses here to let the significance sink in. "It appears that their focus of life is in a witch's bottle. If that can be destroyed, they are destroyed also. As of now, I suppose we have no time to look for such a bottle, since the wolves seem to be close. Unless anyone has found anything like that?" she looks around interrogatively. "The book also says it is possible to be protected from them by placing wards, but if the bottle happens to be inside wards, then all is lost." She sighs, and continues "I suppose the options are to either kill them any way we can now, or trap them somehow so that they don't escape. Either option will buy us some time to look for the bottle and destroy them once and for all. What do you all think?" she ends holding out the book for anyone to read.

She walks over to the window to look out to see if she can spot the wolves (perception) and says quietly "I personally would prefer to trap them. We do not know what brought them here, or if they indeed killed the captain or if they did kill him, their reason for doing so. I would hate to kill for no good reason." As she waits for the others' suggestions, she tries to think if she recalls anything about hounds of rot and decay. (Lore Demons and Monsters)
Zachary reacts with confusion and a bit of annoyance. Of course they would be here to kill the captain! The supernatural don’t just show up for a friendly visit. What else would they be doing here? Zachary is about to object to capturing them when he hears about the witch’s bottle. I guess that is some kind of middle ground, the detective thinks to himself with a small sigh. “It’ll be hard taking on those hounds non-lethally without using any of those wards you were talking about.” Zachary helps with the barricading and tries to steal a glance at the number of wolves outside (Perception).

If there are more than three hounds, Zachary stands with Aurelio outside of the house. I think he knows what he’s doing. Better I stay out of his way and see if there is an opening somewhere. Zachary stands a bit behind the boxer, but keeps an eye on the sides to make sure none of the hounds decide to flank. The detective firmly grips the stake in his hand and braces for the hounds to pounce.

If there are three or less hounds, Zachary considers searching for the bottle instead. This guy is a boxer. I think he should be able to hold them off himself. The more eyes looking for this bottle, the sooner we’ll find it. Before Aurelio leaves, Zachary waves to get his attention. “I bet you can take them on, but it wouldn’t be fair if we were ‘throwing you to the wolves’. If you need an extra set of hands to keep them away, just holler.” Turning to the rest of the group, Zachary offers a plan. “We don’t have much time to search everywhere. Anyone have any ideas on where we can find this bottle? Maybe some kind of ritual site? If nobody has any ideas, then we might be better off splitting up and each going off into an individual room.
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [93] = 93 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10 / 1d100: [3] = 3
Current I.S.P.: 43
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Psionics Used: Suppress Fear (-8, already taken from her current I.S.P.) on Ari

Inside Captain Whitlock’s House, Main Hall

The sound of howling captures Claudia’s attention. The dogs are singing! In a hurry, her hands slide away from the piano keys. A moment later, Claudia joins her uncle in the main hall of the house. “Did they hear the music?” she asks him, worried that she might have attracted danger to the group.
Virginia wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:57 pm"It appears that their focus of life is in a witch's bottle. If that can be destroyed, they are destroyed also. As of now, I suppose we have no time to look for such a bottle, since the wolves seem to be close. Unless anyone has found anything like that?" she looks around interrogatively.
Claudia takes a few seconds to mentally recall the items she has spotted so far, but a bottle doesn’t come to mind. She offers a little shake of her head to Virginia, but adds, “I’ll help.”
Aurelio wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:53 amAurelio...crosses himself, stoops over to give Claudia a warm hug, and tells her "Be brave, but if bad things happen to me, get inside something sturdy like a big, heavy trunk or a closet with a heavy door, and stay quiet until hours after all the bad sounds have stopped."
A small smile comes to Claudia’s lips when her uncle kisses her forehead. She nods to let him know that she understands. “Be safe,” she instructs Ari in return. She touches his cheek lightly and bestows Suppress Fear upon him. And with that, the girl leaves the main hall, seeking out the witch’s bottle. Bottles sleep in kitchens, she reasons. Maybe there? Or maybe somewhere it can be kept safe...safe… Claudia takes a deep breath and hopes that maybe the bottle they need will call out to her (Psychic Bloodhound, perhaps? Please feel free to move Claudia a room or two in the right direction if you think this works. The kitchen pantry seems like a good spot to find bottles, but maybe there is a hidden safe in the library or upstairs.).
Claudia
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Date: February 16th, 1925. 1:35 PM (10 minutes have passed since last post)
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Active Investigating (Claudia is at x3)
Virginia: Lore: Demons and monsters (What does Viginia Know about Hounds of Rot and Decay?): Nothing, the note in the Journal is the first time she’s ever heard of the creatures.
Callum: Detect Ambush (To make sure they aren't snuck up on.)

Inside Whitlach Manor

Maps not 100% correct, I misplaced Zachary (Problem with skimmed reading). So he’s in the main hall.

Virginia goes on at a bit of length about what she’s determined from the relatively short journal passage. Mentioning that the source of the Hound of Decay and Rot is likely a corrupted Witches Bottle, that would have to be somewhere on site. Virginia also suggests trying to capture the creature, but has no mention as to how.

Aurelio decides a more selfless tactic and makes moves to limit how the creatures could get to the group. Moving to the only exterior door he’s seen, in the mudroom. He looks to see what can be done to block the interior door, surmising that moving one of the cabinets in front of the door should be sufficient.

Callum joins Aurelio and helps block the interior door off (No locks), moving the armor stand in front. Meanwhile Zachary questions what they are looking for, from those that may be in the know.

Meanwhile Claudia decides to help. At first she thinks that the bottle could be in the kitchen or pantry, even going so far as taking a look in that room, when she notices a glowing strand of light. This takes almost all of her attention and focus as Claudia begins to follow it, The glowing strand fades from view once Claudia finds herself on the second floor.

At the door and any windows being looked out of, the howls can still be heard and the pines on the edge of the property can be seen shifting as something prowls the edge of the woods, but the forest is dark and hides it’s secrets even in the midday sun. Several long minutes pass, but other than howls, no creature emerges.

Butcher's Bill
Claudia: -8 I.S.P., Suppress Fear.
Medals
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [76] = 76 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [43] = 43

Inside Captain Whitlock’s House, Kitchen first, then Upstairs

Not here, Claudia thinks to herself. The witch’s bottle that Virginia needs isn’t found in the captain’s kitchen. However, a glowing thread of light catches Claudia’s eye and leads her up the back stairs. Wait for me… She follows the light until it fades away.

In the upstairs hall, Claudia takes a look around and notices another suit of armor guarding the space. “Sir Knight,” she greets the suit of armor politely. She walks up to the knight and knocks on its chest a couple of times. “Do you have the bottle?”

Assuming nothing interesting comes from the suit of armor, Claudia moves on, trying to locate the mysterious thread of light or witch's bottle again. If nothing leads her in a different direction, she’ll try the room just north of the suit of armor, near the main staircase.
Claudia
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 43% / 1d100: [86] = 86
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 1d100: [35] = 35
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [98] = 98
Lore: Religion 50% / 1d100: [27] = 27 (anything ring a bell re: the hounds?)
Streetwise: Weird 45% / 1d100: [89] = 89 (anything ring a bell re: the hounds?)

While Ari keeps watch on the treeline he considers their problem. "Hounds of Rot and Decay"...the phrasing and word choice sounds religious in nature. Ari thinks on whether or not the name or phrase brings to mind anything from scripture (even the apocrypha), or whether he's heard tell of such in his upbringing on the streets in multiple countries now. So many peoples have so many fears, so many tales, some so very different, but some very similar or virtually the same. Some of these must be phony, but certainly many must be true as well. An old wive's tale in Milan is accepted as common knowledge in Bucharest. While keeping his eyes watching the treeline, he calls out "There's something in treeline, but not coming out. Anyone needs me to help do else? Just ask." Splitting his attention between watching and speaking doesn't allow him to focus his thoughts on speaking, and so his words are a bit more clumsy even than usual.
Aurelio
Callum

Post by Callum »

Percep 43%: 1d100: [71] = 71
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 1d100: [33] = 33

Skill rolls
Detect Ambush 50%= 1d100: [28] = 28 To make sure they aren't snuck up on
Tracking (people) 45%= 1d100: [8] = 8 to see if he can find Claudia
Callum says, "That fact that the Captain was killed outside might be good news if any of this is true. Might mean that the hound couldn't get into the house. Maybe it just starved the Captain out then made its move when he made a run for the car. O'course that means we'd be in the same situation now too. Did anyone check the kitchen to see how this place is set for food?"

Callum glances around to see if anyone heard him then whips his head around to look at the two men before turning to Virginia with a concerned look, "Where'd the girl go?" He spins around as if gauging his location in the house before he sets off toward the dining room. Passing through the dinning room he doesn't pause unless he sees Claudia, then goes into the kitchen. In the kitchen he will slow and look over whatever passes as a pantry and in the cub boards.

If he still has not located Claudia, his head will flick up to look at the ceiling, then he will head to the western stairs. Looking at the floor to see if there are any feet prints in the dust. None of us have been upstairs yet, so this should all be undisturbed.

Making his way upstairs, Callum cautiously make his way down the hall. I'll head for the north stairs. If its not too big up here I should be able to find her without having to backtrack.
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [50] = 50 /41%
JIC: 1d100: [90] = 90
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18

Skills used: Literacy 1d100: [72] = 72 /84%

As everyone gets busy barricading the house, Virginia wonders about the witches bottle. What is it? What does it look like? She searches the book to get more information about the witches bottle (literacy). Being engrossed in the book, she is oblivious to events around her.
Zachary Splindt

Perception 1D100: 1d100: [80] = 80 (18%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [77] = 77
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [6] = 6
Crime Scene Investigation: 1d100: [98] = 98 (55%)

Looks like we’ve checked the library. Something like that wouldn’t be in a kitchen or dining room. Where else could it be? Noticing that Claudia ran upstairs with Callum following suit, Zachary follows suit through the western stairway. As the detective makes his way up the stairs, a thought crosses his mind. We did check the garage, but we didn’t check it for anything in particular. What if it’s hidden in there... Zachary considers the idea, but puts it to the side. Gonna be hard to do with those hounds running around. Let’s make sure we know that it’s not in here.

Having reached the second floor, Zachary cautiously opens one of the doors (the room left to the set of armor), and looks around. If this room appears safe and has any desks or drawers, Zachary rifles through them (Crime Scene Investigation).
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Date: February 16th, 1925. 1:45 PM (10 minutes have passed since last post)
Inside Whitlach Manor

Claudia questions the knight but he seems content to continue his silent guarding of the upper hall, and doesn’t respond. With her intense interrogation out of the way, Claudia makes her way to the first room that peaks her fancy. The door opens easily, and reveals a well appointed bedroom, though to her even unknowledgeable eye she can tell no one really lived in this room, likely for guests or family that visits. With the room revealed, Claudia begins to search in earnest and after several minutes, finds nothing but a few errant dust bunnies and some spare linens, oddly enough Claudia does note the room has its own private privy, and what seems to be a dressing room.

Aurelio continues his vigil from the blocked off foyer. He can see whatever is moving in the tree line is aggressive and broody, as it continues to growl and occasionally howl into the air. Aurelio takes a moment to yell into the house what he sees, and ask if they need help, but no one immediately responds. Aurellio thinks on what he does know, and due to his christian upbringing, he considers a known factor even noted in the bible once or twice; Hellhounds. Aurelio is sure the creature isn’t one specifically, but they do seem to have some similarities in their description. Namely that Hellhounds don’t come out into the light, and given the thickness of the forest and the relative time of day, that may be the one thing keeping the creature from approaching the house.

Callum responds to Aurelio, before going on a mild tangent about the creature possibly having sieged the late Captain to desperation. To check on his theory, Callum makes his way into the kitchen and finds the pantry still relatively full, so whatever lured the Captain outside, wasn’t hunger. Callum considers where Claudia may have gone, and does eventually find the girl upstairs, she’s currently looking under a bed in what he guesses is a guest room.

Virginia delves deeper into the journal, looking for more answers. While the journal is full of interesting bits of information, telling of a rich magical tradition of the insular people of the Appalachian Mountains, it never rightly describes a Witch’s Bottle, apparently assuming the reader already knows. (GM Hint: Lore: Paranormal would tell you more. ~Consumer) All the while, Virginia can feel a cold sweat forming on her brow and the back of her neck, time moving inexorably forward to possible demise.

Zachary spies Callum heading upstairs and he too, decides to follow. He notes Callum is watching Claudia in one room, so he makes his way to the next door and finds a closet, it mostly has sundries and linens, but it warrants a search from the former Pinkerton Agent.

Butcher's Bill
Medals
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 43% / 1d100: [28] = 28
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 1d100: [38] = 38
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [10] = 10
Literacy: Italian 88% / 1d100: [67] = 67

In his mind Aurelio repeats the verse from Psalm 18. The sorrows of hell compassed me about. From all sides the hell hounds barked furiously. A cordon of devils hemmed in the hunted man of God; every way of escape was closed up. Satan knows how to blockade our coasts with the iron warships of sorrow, but, blessed be God, the port of all prayer is still open, and grace can run the blockade bearing messages from earth to heaven, and blessings in return from heaven to earth. He crosses himself, notes that Hell's servant seems to shun the light of day, and leaves the Mud Room for the library around the corner. Claudia's no doubt snooping around things upstairs, but Callum is up there, so she's likely safe enough. Seeing Virginia there poring over books he interjects, "Sorry to disturb you. I cannot read English yet, but I'm fluent in Italian, so Latin and the romance languages are not so difficult. Is there something perhaps I can help you find or perhaps translate?"
Aurelio
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [13] = 13 /41%
JIC: 1d100: [5] = 5
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9

Skills used: Lore: Paranormal & psionics : 1d100: [45] = 45 /55%

Virginia looks up as Mr. Di Mantua talks to her. She nods at his words and says "Well, we need to find the witches bottle and learn about the hounds of rot and decay. Perhaps you could look around here, in the library, to see if you find anything related to either of them? I think Mr. Splindt found some books in a foreign language..." she trails off as she wipes the cold sweat dripping from her forehead. Time is running out

She then shuts the book with a sigh and closes her eyes. Did I read anything about a witches bottle before? She stays still for a minute trying to recall. (Lore: Paranormal and psionics)
Callum

Post by Callum »

Percep 43%: 1d100: [7] = 7
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 1d100: [30] = 30

Skill rolls
Detect Ambush 50%= 1d100: [26] = 26 To make sure they aren't snuck up on

Callum smiles when he sees Claudia looking under the bed, clearing his throat so as not to surprise her before he asks, "Did you find anything?" He doesn't really expect an answer from the unusual girl beyond a shake of the head as he glances around the guest room. After a moment he turns and makes his way across the upper hall to the first room on the east side. So much for us not splitting up but so far we're just speculating on, well just about everything.

As he makes his way across the upper hall, he sees Splindt looking around the closet and gives a low whistle just to get the other man's attention as he nods to the room that he's walking toward. "The girl's found a guest room. I'm gonna look around the rooms over here. Maybe one will be Whitlach's bedroom and give us a better idea of what was going on here."
Zachary Splindt

Perception: 1d100: [29] = 29 (18%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [20] = 20
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [9] = 9

Zachary creases his brow as he opens the door to a storage closet. Why does this place need so many damn rooms?!? the detective curses to himself. Noticing Callum approaching down the hall, Zachary quickly tries to look a little less tense than he currently is.
Callum wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:10 pm As he makes his way across the upper hall, he sees Splindt looking around the closet and gives a low whistle just to get the other man's attention as he nods to the room that he's walking toward. "The girl's found a guest room. I'm gonna look around the rooms over here. Maybe one will be Whitlach's bedroom and give us a better idea of what was going on here."
Zachary nods. “That sounds like a good plan. I’ll take a look at the rooms near this storage closet.” Zachary is about to turn away, when he recalls a quick detail. Zachary opens the closest door to the storage closet and without taking his eyes off the room inside, calls to Callum again. “Callum,” asks the detective, “do you remember seeing anything that could have looked like this witch’s bottle back in the barn with the car? I‘m not sure myself, but it might be someplace to check if it’s not in this house.
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 43% / 1d100: [28] = 28
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 1d100: [97] = 97
Language: English 63% / 1d100: [35] = 35
Literacy: Italian 88% / 1d100: [14] = 14
Virginia wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:39 pm"Well, we need to find the witches bottle and learn about the hounds of rot and decay. Perhaps you could look around here, in the library, to see if you find anything related to either of them? I think Mr. Splindt found some books in a foreign language..." she trails off as she wipes the cold sweat dripping from her forehead. Time is running out
Aurelio nods, "Thanks, ma'am, I'll go have a word with him." Aurelio leaves the library and bounds upstairs quickly. From the landing on the second floor he sees Callum overseeing Claudia and smiles. As I suspected, the others are keeping an eye on her. He then hears Splindt from around the corner, heads to him and inquires after the books to which Virginia made reference.

"Zachary, isn't it? Virginia said you'd found some books in a foreign language. Do you mind if I have a look? I've some familiarity as such."
Aurelio
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Date: February 16th, 1925. 1:55 PM (10 minutes have passed since last post)
Inside Whitlach Manor

Aurelio decides to move from his post in the mud room, moving the cupboard back to where it was to unblock the door. Before looking about to see where anyone is, the only soul he finds is Virginia in the library, looking a bit desperate while paging through an old journal. Aurelio’s voice almost startles her, when he offers to help read any foriegn italian texts.

Virginia keeps up the search, while telling Aurelio that some of the books in the Library are in foriegn languages, before trailing off into her own thoughts.

Virginia thinks of the concept of a Witch’s Bottle and remembers from some source a bit of information. The bottles were usually wine bottles that were filled with a bit of wine, urine, hair, and nails or pins. In Europe they were used for protection, mostly. Though strangely, Virginia is sure the practice of Witch’s Bottles has fallen out of favor in the past fifty or more years, and as far as she can recall, it never was particularly common in the Americas.

Upstairs Callum gets into the spirit of searching and makes it to another door. In the room he looks, and finds he can’t readily identify the room’s purpose. On a slightly taller than waist height cupboard, is an array of bottles and utensils, some of which he can identify, like a mortar and pestle, and strainers. Interlaced among the objects are even further weird bric a brac, like animal skulls, a human skull, and a variety of dried plants, and half melted candles. Callum does make a mental note, that while all of the bottles look strange to him, none of them scream out Witch’s Bottle.

Zachary intended on searching the next nearest door, and does so only to find another closet with nothing noteworthy in it, he turns to go to the next room only to find Claudia making her way in there. With a shrug the former Pinkerton Agent makes his way to the door south of himself, and finds a room of trophies, both animal and man made, they adorn the walls and small shelves. Another suit of armor stands in the corner, a dark looking piece that makes Zachary think of evil knights. The trophy room has attached to it two other rooms, one holds some manner of altar, and to Zachary it seems Christian in nature, with a variety of things he has seen in other churches on the table. And off of that he finds yet another closet, ahh to be wealthy enough to have more than two closets.

Aurelio heads upstairs to look for Zachary, he finds him in some manner of Trophy Room. From the hall he calls out to the man.

Claudia for her part seems to be looking for something in particular, but she doesn’t rightly know why. (A successful Perception Check while on the second floor) Those who are with truely good hearing overhear the girl mumbling. ”He brought it here accidentally.”

Butcher's Bill
Medals
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 43% / 1d100: [78] = 78
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 1d100: [29] = 29
Language: English 63% / 1d100: [16] = 16

Ari pokes his head into each of the three nearby rooms where Callum, Claudia, and Zachary are busy investigating. "Need help with anything?" he offers to each, adding an affectionate tone & a warm "toppolina" to his question for Claudia. I feel even more like the big, dumb, brute than ever in situations like these. I wish that servant of Hell would bust in a door to give me something productive to do.
Aurelio
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [53] = 53 /41%
JIC: 1d100: [36] = 36
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14

Skills used: Detect concealment 1d100: [14] = 14 /50%

Virginia jumps up with an exclamation of relief when she recalls what she'd read about the Witches Bottle. She looks around and sees that there is no one around her. She walks up to the stairs, leans in, sticks her head upwards and calls out "Everyone, as I recall, witches bottles were usually wine bottles that were filled with a bit of wine, urine, hair, and nails or pins. In Europe they were used for protection, mostly. I'm sure the practice of Witch’s Bottles has fallen out of favor in the past fifty or more years, and as far as I can recall, it never was particularly common in the Americas. So, it may be that we are looking for an old wine bottle, maybe from Europe. But of course, keep an eye out for any wine bottle with strange things in it!"

Virginia then wanders around all the rooms on the ground floor, looking inside cabinets and on shelves for anything like a wine bottle. (Perception). As she looks around, she checks for hidden compartments and nooks in the rooms she hasn't checked before. (Detect concealment)

If she finds nothing of note, she will go up to the first floor.
Zachary Splindt

Perception: 1d100: [91] = 91 (18%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [30] = 30
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [16] = 16

Zachary goes up to one of the the closet doors, slightly annoyed. How many rooms does a person need?! the detective asks himself. His train of thought is interrupted by Aurelio’s approach however.
Aurelio wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:29 am "Zachary, isn't it? Virginia said you'd found some books in a foreign language. Do you mind if I have a look? I've some familiarity as such."
Yeah actually, there are a lot of books I couldn’t make out at all. Not sure what language it was though. I can show you if you want.” Zachary glances at the closet doors, then back to Aurelio. “There’s also the barn. Virginia, Callum, and I checked there earlier, but that was before this whole witch’s bottle mess got started. Can’t imagine it would be too safe for one of us to go out there alone if the hounds come barking, but you might be able to handle yourself if they get there soon.”.
Virginia wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:37 pm Virginia jumps up with an exclamation of relief when she recalls what she'd read about the Witches Bottle. She looks around and sees that there is no one around her. She walks up to the stairs, leans in, sticks her head upwards and calls out "Everyone, as I recall, witches bottles were usually wine bottles that were filled with a bit of wine, urine, hair, and nails or pins. In Europe they were used for protection, mostly. I'm sure the practice of Witch’s Bottles has fallen out of favor in the past fifty or more years, and as far as I can recall, it never was particularly common in the Americas. So, it may be that we are looking for an old wine bottle, maybe from Europe. But of course, keep an eye out for any wine bottle with strange things in it!"
Zachary nods. “I can see why they went out of style,” the detective mutters to himself quietly. “Did anyone notice a basement on the way in?” Zachary asks the others, “maybe there’s a wine cellar down there.
Callum

Post by Callum »

Percep 43%: 1d100: [93] = 93
JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10 1d100: [71] = 71

Skill rolls
Detect Ambush 50%= 1d100: [73] = 73 To make sure they aren't snuck up on
Callum makes his way back to the hall and glances around for any of the others, then in a raised voice he calls out, "There's a mess of odd things in here. Bottles and dried plant and even a mortar and pestle. Though none of it looks evil or even assembled. If you want to take a look, its the middle room of the southern side of the Upper Hall."

Callum leaves the Sanctum behind and moves to the next door down the hall. How long have we been here? And we're no closer to finding out anything about anything. Though the whatever lurking around outside could mean that at the very least there's something in here to find.

When he gets to the next door, Callum pauses for a moment before taking a deep breath and swinging the door open. He gives the room a look, scanning the dust on the floor and trying to see if anyone has been in here lately or more likely, that this room has been empty just as long as the rest of the house.
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 43% / 1d100: [65] = 65
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 1d100: [71] = 71
Language: English 63% / 1d100: [20] = 20
Literacy: Italian 88% / 1d100: [19] = 19
Virginia wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:37 pm"...so, it may be that we are looking for an old wine bottle, maybe from Europe. But of course, keep an eye out for any wine bottle with strange things in it!"
Beautiful and smart. Sei pieno di sorprese oggi."That might be very helpful. Thank you, Virginia!" Ari exclaims in earnest.
Zachary Splindt wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:29 pm"Yeah actually, there are a lot of books I couldn’t make out at all. Not sure what language it was though. I can show you if you want.” Zachary glances at the closet doors, then back to Aurelio. “There’s also the barn. Virginia, Callum, and I checked there earlier, but that was before this whole witch’s bottle mess got started. Can’t imagine it would be too safe for one of us to go out there alone if the hounds come barking, but you might be able to handle yourself if they get there soon."
Ari nods at Zachary's suggestion. "Sure, I'll take a look. If none of the books are of a Latin-derived language, I'll head down and check out the barn. I'm not an educated man, but Italian and the other 'romance' languages are not so dissimilar." He grinds out the stub of his Lucky on the heel of one shoe and pockets the remainder for later re-rolling.
Zachary Splindt wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:29 pmZachary nods. "I can see why they went out of style," the detective mutters to himself quietly. “Did anyone notice a basement on the way in?" Zachary asks the others, "Maybe there’s a wine cellar down there."
Ari shakes his head in the negative. "You're welcome to join me in another lap around the house after looking in the barn." Have you the nerves, man? What are you made of?
Callum wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:46 pmCallum makes his way back to the hall and glances around for any of the others, then in a raised voice he calls out, "There's a mess of odd things in here. Bottles and dried plant and even a mortar and pestle. Though none of it looks evil or even assembled. If you want to take a look, its the middle room of the southern side of the Upper Hall."
Ari calls back so the rest upstairs can hear him. "I'm gonna review some books then head outside to check on some things. Sounds like you're on the right track, Callum."
Translation: You're full of surprises today.
Aurelio
Zachary Splindt

Aurelio wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:18 am Ari nods at Zachary's suggestion. "Sure, I'll take a look. If none of the books are of a Latin-derived language, I'll head down and check out the barn. I'm not an educated man, but Italian and the other 'romance' languages are not so dissimilar." He grinds out the stub of his Lucky on the heel of one shoe and pockets the remainder for later re-rolling.
Aurelio wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:18 am Ari shakes his head in the negative. "You're welcome to join me in another lap around the house after looking in the barn." Have you the nerves, man? What are you made of?
Zachary is a bit off-put by the suggestion for a, “lap,” around the house. Is that... a challenge? the detective thinks to himself, At a time like this? When we’ve got hounds barking outside?Err... yes. Sure,” the detective replies with a bit of confusion, “I guess we can see how that goes.” Zachary goes downstairs to the study assuming Aurelio comes down too.

If both of them end up in the study, Zachary points to the bookshelf he found earlier containing the books in question. “Can you make out anything they say?” Zachary asks the boxer. “Looks like they have to do with ghosts and demons, but I can’t make heads or tales out of this language. Maybe it will tell us what in the green Earth our captain was up to.
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [3] = 3 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [99] = 99

Inside Captain Whitlock’s House, Upstairs
Consumer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:05 am”He brought it here accidentally.”
Claudia continues to mumble, “He brought it here accidentally.” But why? And how did he find the witch’s bottle? Her curiosity about the captain bounces around in her head as she continues her search.

Claudia takes a look under a bed and finds a fluffle of dust bunnies. When her uncle finds her, she holds up a bun for his inspection, and says, “The knight wasn’t helpful, but maybe the bunnies know where to look. The captain didn’t mean to bring it here. He hid it well.” She directs her attention back to the dust in her hand. “Have you seen the witch bottle? Maybe a bit of light? It brought me upstairs.”

Assuming the dust bunny has no information to share, Claudia will return it to its warren under the bed and move on with her search. (OOC: Feel free to move her to another location; room east of the sanctum perhaps?)
Claudia
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Date: February 16th, 1925. 2:55 PM (1 hour has passed since last post)
Inside Whitlach Manor

1st Floor
2nd Floor
Garage/Stable

Initially Aurellio just kind of wanders around the second floor looking at what others are doing, before Virginia comes up stairs and excitedly explains what she knows about Witch’s bottles. Before she makes her way back downstairs to begin searching rooms. Zachary acknowledges Aurelio’s previous question and even goes so far as to show the man what he was talking about. Callum begins to move into the other rooms, just to get an idea of what they may be before moving on to a more thorough search. Aurelio follows Zachary downstairs to the library and is shown dozens of books in foriegn languages. Meanwhile upstairs Claudia continues looking around with Callum.

Virginia begins her search in the kitchen, and does find a number of wine bottles, whether they’re Witch’s bottles is rather suspect, as they seem to be in a wine rack. Which is rather interesting given that alcohol is currently illegal in the United States. Aurelio and Zachary begin looking over the books, which Aurelio finds more than a few in his native Italian, though some are harder to read as they’re handwritten, or in dialects he’s not exactly well versed in. There are also books in Latin, but Aurelio’s grasp of literary Latin is not particularly strong, as for other languages, most of the languages of Europe and some of Asia seem present. Which begs the question of how educated Captain Whitlach was. All in all, after about thirty minutes of just perusal of the books, Aurelio seems no closer to ana answer as the books cover a multitude of subjects both mundane and esoteric. If he were to guess, he’s likely not going to find more info in these books on the current situation.

Upstairs, Callum and Claudia continue the search, trying to be thorough in their searches, which just means more time. Callum comes across what appears to be another office, this one a bit more tidy than the last. On the desk is an open case that looks like it held a revolver of some manner, but it is empty. On the shelves are dozens of books, most seem handwritten without binding titles, and scattered among them are more than a few macabre knick knacks like skulls and specimens in jars of liquid. Virginia’s search moves from the kitchen to the other rooms in the first floor of the house, where she finds many interesting curios, but nothing resembling a witch’s bottle. Claudia finds what is likely the Captain’s actual bedroom, and goes to work looking about, in nooks and crannies that only a smaller person may be able to explore. In the end, other than it appears the Captain woke in the night to deal with whatever killed him, as the bed is unmade, nothing of particular interest is found.

Realizing the futility of reading the entire library, Aurelio and Zachary make their move to go and recheck the garage. Once outside they make a few immediate observations as they move through the snow to the garage. The sun is going to set much earlier here than anticipated, with the mountains likely blocking out most of the light by half past three or so. The creature in the woods seems to be anxiously waiting for that fact, as it makes its presence known by howling, and rustling trees in the woods near the garage. Once in the garage, the duo begins to look around, and while it is a much smaller space, the area is chocked full of potential hiding spots. After a half hour or so of fairly thorough searching the duo of Aurelio and Zachary don’t find anything out of the ordinary.

GM Note; Next post will encompass till 3:30 pm. Feel free to make multiple rolls to search, even get creative if you need to.

Butcher's Bill
Medals
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [65] = 65 /41%
JIC: 1d100: [2] = 2
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11

Skills used:
Lore: cults and secret societies: 1d100: [100] = 100 /45% (to figure out what's going on in the Sanctum)
Detect concealment: 1d100: [79] = 79 /50% (to find anything hidden in the Sanctum and trophy room)
Imitate voice and sounds: 1d100: [89] = 89 /60%

Virginia is amused by the wine bottles. Well, well, well so this is what he was up to. I wonder if this was the business he had with Carl.... She opens an old bottle and sniffs it. Smells pretty good she thinks and continues her search. Having found nothing resembling a witches' bottle, she heads upstairs. Once there, she enters the sanctum. Goodness, what on Earth is all this! she thinks, Could it be that the Captain belonged to some cult? Let me think what I know about them. She thinks back about cults and secret societies about which she had learnt. She then tries to make a thorough search of the room (Perception) and looks for likely spots for secret chambers and compartments. (Detect concealment)

Seeing Mr. Doyle busy in the office, Virginia heads into the trophy room, and takes a good look around. (Detect concealment). She then heads in to the bedroom where Ms. Di Mantua is searching, and asks the girl "Have you seen anything unusual, Ms. Di Mantua?"

After waiting to hear what the girl has to say, she goes to the window of the bedroom, and opens one of them. She is startled to hear the howls of the creatures. As she recovers, she thinks of a plan that could go pretty wrong, but could provide some information. She heads downstairs and out of the house and takes out her camera and her pistol from her car. She pockets the pistol, and then walks up to the spot where Aiyana cannot cross. She smiles at Aiyana, and asks her to keep a close watch. Standing on the other side of the spot (closer to the house), Virginia readies her camera, and imitates the howls (Imitate voice and sounds) to see if it attracts the creature or scares it away. She is ready to take a picture of the creature if it shows up and then run back into the house.
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 43% / 1d100: [96] = 96
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 1d100: [97] = 97
Language: English 63% / 1d100: [15] = 15
GM wrote:Aurelio and Zachary begin looking over the books, which Aurelio finds more than a few in his native Italian, though some are harder to read as they’re handwritten, or in dialects he’s not exactly well versed in. There are also books in Latin, but Aurelio’s grasp of literary Latin is not particularly strong, as for other languages, most of the languages of Europe and some of Asia seem present. Which begs the question of how educated Captain Whitlach was. All in all, after about thirty minutes of just perusal of the books, Aurelio seems no closer to an answer as the books cover a multitude of subjects both mundane and esoteric. If he were to guess, he’s likely not going to find more info in these books on the current situation...Realizing the futility of reading the entire library, Aurelio and Zachary make their move to go and recheck the garage. Once outside they make a few immediate observations as they move through the snow to the garage. The sun is going to set much earlier here than anticipated, with the mountains likely blocking out most of the light by half past three or so. The creature in the woods seems to be anxiously waiting for that fact, as it makes its presence known by howling, and rustling trees in the woods near the garage. Once in the garage, the duo begins to look around, and while it is a much smaller space, the area is chocked full of potential hiding spots. After a half hour or so of fairly thorough searching the duo of Aurelio and Zachary don’t find anything out of the ordinary.
Ari throws his hands up in frustration. "Va fungulo!" The big man turns to Zachary, "It's getting dark. Let's gather the others and get back to town. We wasted enough time out here rummaging like a bunch of incompetent burglars." He heads back to the main entry to the house and calls inside loudly with the same message. Time to go, people. The night is dark and full of terrors. He will gather up his niece, mount his motorcycle, and head back into town for the rest of the night.
Aurelio
Zachary Splindt

Perception: 1d100: [81] = 81 (18%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [92] = 92
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [1] = 1

Zachary watches the boxer enter the house again, flabergasted. “Wait big guy hold up. Wai-” the detective begins before going quiet. Following the boxer inti the house, the detective gives up. Just like those guys at Pinkerton! the detective thinks to himself angrily doesn’t understand just how important it is that we get rid of these things immediately! Zachary is about to open his mouth to say something, but keeps shut and frantically thinks a bit about what to try next.

Zachary also sees Virginia walk outside and begin howling with a camera. What the heck is happening?!? the confused detective thinks to himself. Still confused at this sudden behavior, Zachary joins in the howling. The detective is not sure why exactly he’s howling, and a part of him is still trying to get his bearings on what exactly is going on, but he seems to enjoy the chance to vent his frustration at the local wildlife. Looking at where Ms. Manuela is facing, the detective tries to put two and two together. Maybe it’s some way to try and see how these ghosts react? Zachary thinks to himself.

Assuming the hounds don’t react to Virginia’s howling, Zachary rushes back into the house. Remembering Callum’s directions from earlier, Zachary rushes into the sanctum and looks around for bottles. The detective pulls out as many of the bottles in the room as he can carry, runs as fast as he can to the front of the house outside, and lays the bottles out in the snow. This is probably a bit ridiculous, but it’s better than being a sitting duck Zachary things to himself. Taking one of the bottles and holding it up in the air briefly, the detective smashes the bottle on the side of the house. Picking up another bottle, Zachary holds it up in the air and watches the hounds’ reactions. If they don’t react, Zachary will smash that bottle against the house wall too. The detective will then hold up a third bottle and reach for the stake in his coat. “Know anywhere else with bottles?” the detective calls out to Virginia.
Callum

Post by Callum »

Percep 43%: 1d100: [39] = 39
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 1d100: [6] = 6

Skill rolls
Detect Ambush 50%= 1d100: [68] = 68 To make sure they aren't snuck up on

Callum notices the waning light as he inspects the various rooms and hears the relatively close howls from outside. Holy horseshoes, I don't think I wanna get stuck here after dark. What time is it anyway? He exits the office and calls out to Claudia, "Come on lass, its time we leave this place. I'd like to be well away from here before dark sets in." Taking the girls hand, he gives a little pull of encouragement but he won't force her to follow. If she doesn't follow him, Callum will seek out her uncle and let him round her up.
The Mountain wrote:"It's getting dark. Let's gather the others and get back to town. We wasted enough time out here rummaging like a bunch of incompetent burglars."
Callum appears at the door shortly after hearing this and says, "My thoughts exactly. Time to get back to the hotel and around more people. Looks like it gets dark early here because of the mountains. And I don't wanna be here when that happens."

If Claudia did come along with him, Callum will hand her off to Ari. If not, he will jerk a thumb back into the house and say, "I tried to get Claudia to come down but she's up in the Captain's bedroom at the far end of the upper hall."

Furrowing his eyes at Virginia and Splindt activities, Callum makes his way to the car. On the way he passes Splindt and says, "You may get lucky doing that or you may end up smashing the ward that's keeping the creature at bay." He gives the man a shrug and a smirk as he passes him. "Either way, its time to go."

As he reaches the car, he opens the driver's door and looks over to Virginia, "Mrs. Revel, if you would be so kind. Or I can drive if you prefer, regardless, I believe its time we should be leaving this place."

If Mrs. Revel concedes the driver's seat to him, Callum will start the car and be ready to go as soon as everyone is in. If she takes the wheel, Callum will wedge into the back seat and let the big man occupy the passenger seat.
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Virginia watches Mr. Di Mantua and his niece rush off on a motorcycle. Fair enough, she thinks with a shrug.
Zachary Splindt wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:39 pm
Zachary also sees Virginia walk outside and begin howling with a camera. What the heck is happening?!? the confused detective thinks to himself. Still confused at this sudden behavior, Zachary joins in the howling. The detective is not sure why exactly he’s howling, and a part of him is still trying to get his bearings on what exactly is going on, but he seems to enjoy the chance to vent his frustration at the local wildlife. Looking at where Ms. Manuela is facing, the detective tries to put two and two together. Maybe it’s some way to try and see how these ghosts react? Zachary thinks to himself.
OOC Comments
Not sure who was referred to as Ms. Manuela?
Virginia is startled as she hears a howl right next to her. Her hand immediately finds its way into her pocket and pulls out the revolver. She relaxes visibly as she turns around to see that Mr. Splindt is joining her. She smiles encouragingly at him, hoping that with the ruckus they're making they can catch a glimpse of the hounds, and goes back to keeping a sharp lookout to take a picture.
Zachary Splindt wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:39 pm Assuming the hounds don’t react to Virginia’s howling, Zachary rushes back into the house. Remembering Callum’s directions from earlier, Zachary rushes into the sanctum and looks around for bottles. The detective pulls out as many of the bottles in the room as he can carry, runs as fast as he can to the front of the house outside, and lays the bottles out in the snow. This is probably a bit ridiculous, but it’s better than being a sitting duck Zachary things to himself. Taking one of the bottles and holding it up in the air briefly, the detective smashes the bottle on the side of the house. Picking up another bottle, Zachary holds it up in the air and watches the hounds’ reactions. If they don’t react, Zachary will smash that bottle against the house wall too. The detective will then hold up a third bottle and reach for the stake in his coat. “Know anywhere else with bottles?” the detective calls out to Virginia.
She turns around to look at Mr. Splindt. "Well, there some fine wines in the kitchen, Mr. Splindt. Rather than smashing them, may I suggest bringing them with you so we can all have a nightcap, on the sly of course? We could do with a good drink after the day we've had," she says with a smile.
Callum wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:23 am As he reaches the car, he opens the driver's door and looks over to Virginia, "Mrs. Revel, if you would be so kind. Or I can drive if you prefer, regardless, I believe its time we should be leaving this place."

If Mrs. Revel concedes the driver's seat to him, Callum will start the car and be ready to go as soon as everyone is in. If she takes the wheel, Callum will wedge into the back seat and let the big man occupy the passenger seat.
Virginia nods at Mr. Doyle. "Yes, I suppose, the safe option is to leave this place for now. Although, I do hate to leave unsolved mysteries behind. But I suppose we can try to learn something from a seance, and a good night's sleep will go a long way." She gets into the driver's seat, reaches over to open the other door for Mr. Doyle. "Mr. Splindt, would you like a ride to the hotel?" she calls out "Whenever you are ready!"
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Date: February 16th, 1925. 3:30 PM (35 minutes has passed since last post)
Virginia finds the wine’s smell to be of average quality, obviously not a particularly fancy vintage. She seems to quickly lose interest in the kitchen, moving upstairs to see what the others are doing, before coming upon one of the stranger rooms in the house. As noticed before by her compatriots, the counter is covered in dozens of bottles filled with a bewildering assortment of contents, both dry and wet. If this was in the kitchen, Virginia would have assumed gourmet cooking, but given their location she makes the assumption that Captain Whitlach may have been in a secret society. Virginia wracks her brain about why a secret society or cult would need such things, but the whole process leaves her overwhelmed.

Virginia looks around the trophy room but finds nothing of interest. Virginia then looks in on Claudia, even going so far as to ask if she’s seen anything, but gets no answer as the girl seems intent on a particular dresser at the moment. Moving on, Virginia makes her way outside to try and goad the beast, gathering a gun from her car. Virginia finds Aiyana pacing along some invisible wall, looking more than a little concerned. When asked to keep a look out, Aiyana seems to visibly sigh, but makes no sounds to confirm. Virginia sets up her camera and begins to cartoonishly howl towards the woods the beast was last sensed in. whether it scared or attracted the creature is unknown, as it continues to growl and shake several of the trees in the dark woods.

Aurelio, in frustration, decides to pack it up for the evening, telling Zachary his intentions of leaving for the day. Aurelio heads into the house and goes upstairs to collect his niece before making his way back outside to head to his motorcycle. He can see Virginia making an awful impersonation of a wolf, while holding a camera. Aurelio takes a few moments to make sure Claudia is packed into the sidecar, before climbing on and starting the engine.

Zachary makes an effort to talk to Aurelio, but the Italian has wandered off before he can get the words out. Zachary heads out of the garage and sees Virginia howling, and for some strange reason decides to join in. After a minute or so he stops and rushes inside. He passes Aurelio who is already heading back with Claudia in tow. Zachary finds the counter of bottles, and is certain that he does not have enough hands for the job. So he grabs several, and makes his way back outside, by this point Aurelio is loading Claudia into the sidecar of his motorcycle. Zachary picks a bottle at random, finding it half full with a reddish liquid, and proceeds to throw it against the side of the house. The bottle shatters and splatters it’s contents on the wood and stone structure. Looking over it doesn’t seem the beast has any real interest in what just happened. So Zachary lets another fly, this one filled with some strands of white material. Again the bottle shatters, and the contents scatter, also again the beast seems to not do anything different. Zachary hoists up a third bottle ready to hurl it, before asking Virginia about more bottles.

Callum notices the room slowly darkening as the sun moves to go behind the mountain. He steps out of the office to find Aurellio walking back downstairs with Claudia in tow. Not wanting to be caught here in the dark, Callum follows and makes his way outside. Outside he finds Virginia howling at the woods, and Zachary smashing random bottles on the wall of the house. Callum comments on it before making his intentions of leaving known. Going so far as to offer to drive Virginia’s car for her.

Virginia acquiesce and offers Callum and Zachary a ride as Aurelio and Claudia leave the scene. The others climb in Virginia’s car with Virginia driving, and follow suit, leaving the howling hound behind as the head away from the manor. None of those involved in the investigation can shake the feeling of dread, like they’re marked with a fell aura. A half hour later the group is at the hotel, the light of the day waning, but not as severely in town as it’s situated on a southern face of the mountain.

Butcher's Bill
Medals
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [94] = 94 /41%

Conditions: Spirit guide present
Skills used:
Charm: 1d100: [100] = 100 /75%

When they reach the hotel, Virginia asks to rent a room for herself. Assuming that works, she then requests for a room for the group's private use for a couple of hours later that night after dinner, exercising all her charm. (Charm)

Once in her room, Virginia promptly goes to sleep for about 2-3 hours, trying to regain some inner strength. Waking up refreshed after the nap, Virginia heads out to the main desk of the hotel. She requests the person at the desk of the hotel to deliver a written message to the others. She writes three copies of this note:
"If it is convenient, shall we all meet at the room" (Here, she describes where the room she obtained for their private use may be found. If she was unable to secure a private room, she invites all of them to her own room.) "to discuss today's events an hour after dinner? We may be able to get information directly from the "person" around whom these strange events revolve! - Mrs. Revel"
and requests the staff to deliver it to the respective rooms. She keeps the note vague on purpose in case the hotel staff get nosy.

She then enquires about dinner options and has a light meal. After dinner, she wanders to the room, hoping the others show up.
Callum

Post by Callum »

Percep 43%: 1d100: [10] = 10
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 1d100: [43] = 43

Skills
Automotive Mechanics 73%: 1d100: [50] = 50 (rate Virginia's car)

One the ride back to town, Callum rides looking out to the side of the road, just in case their unseen friend decides to make an appearance. Unconsciously he listens to the engine and appraises the vehicle. When they make it back to the hotel, Callum goes up to his room. Well this has turned into a strange day. I wonder if that thing in the woods is like what I saw in the trenches. He lets out a sigh and is about to flop on the bed when he stops himself. "Don't do that Callum. You still have travel grime on you. Best to get cleaned up first."

With that thought, Callum gathers up his good clothes and bath kit then goes to find the showers where he proceeds to wash his clothes then himself. Once he back in his room he hangs his wet clothes up near the heat vent/radiator, checks himself over in the mirror and makes his way down to the restaurant for some dinner. He lingers in the lobby for a few minutes to see if any of the others in the group turn up before going in to get a seat and a meal.
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 43% / 1d100: [70] = 70
JIC: 1d20: [3] = 3 1d100: [96] = 96
Language: English 63% / 1d100: [3] = 3
Consumer wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:41 amNone of those involved in the investigation can shake the feeling of dread, like they’re marked with a fell aura. A half hour later the group is at the hotel, the light of the day waning, but not as severely in town as it’s situated on a southern face of the mountain.
Callum wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:11 pm...makes his way down to the restaurant for some dinner. He lingers in the lobby for a few minutes to see if any of the others in the group turn up before going in to get a seat and a meal.
Aurelio guides Claudia upstairs so they can change for dinner, then heads down with her to to the hotel restaurant for the last meal of the day. Being dinner, he'll order light fare: soup, bread, and maybe a buttered, baked potato. If he sees Callum or any of the others, he'll extend some courtesy and wave for them to join Claudia & himself for dinner.
Virginia wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:08 pmVirginia heads out to the main desk of the hotel. She requests the person at the desk of the hotel to deliver a written message to the others. She writes three copies of this note: "If it is convenient, shall we all meet at the room" (Here, she describes where the room she obtained for their private use may be found. If she was unable to secure a private room, she invites all of them to her own room.) "to discuss today's events an hour after dinner? We may be able to get information directly from the "person" around whom these strange events revolve! - Mrs. Revel" and requests the staff to deliver it to the respective rooms. She keeps the note vague on purpose in case the hotel staff get nosy. She then enquires about dinner options and has a light meal. After dinner, she wanders to the room, hoping the others show up.
When dinner is behind them, and they have received Virginia's note, he will do as bidden and join Virginia wherever she requested. He'll read the note to Claudia and invite her along, but will also offer her the opportunity to have some quiet time in their room if she'd prefer. Kid must get sick of me at some point. I'm not her father, though I try to be a good steward, and doubtless she's still grieving in her own way.
Aurelio
Zachary Splindt

Perception: 1d100: [24] = 24 (18%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [23] = 23
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [6] = 6
Lore: Paranormal and Psionics: 1d100: [99] = 99 (40%)

Back at the hotel, Zachary breathes a sign of relief. It's over for today, the detective thinks to himself, we can go back tomorrow, but for now it's okay. The warm hotel room seems almost foreign to the detective, having spent many nights sleeping outside. In the interest of keeping appearances, Zachary cleans himself up in the showers. The accommodations bring a smile to the detective's face, but his expression is still somewhat downcast. I should be over the moon right now, what with the nice room and all, Zachary thinks to himself, but it feels like there's a weight on my back, or something scratching in my mind. Taking a moment alone in the hotel room, Zachary thinks back to some of his knowledge of the paranormal to see if he can recognize what this malevolent feeling could be (Lore: Paranormal and Psionics).

After having read Virginia's note, Zachary does downstairs for dinner and thinks back to their conversation back at the house. Could this have to do with the seance? Zachary thinks to himself, We know what we're looking for now, and some questionable leads on what our captain has been doing.

On the way to the meeting room, Zachary thinks back to the stash he had left behind. There should be a gun there if memory serves, Zachary thinks to himself, If we can, I might want to grab it before we go back tomorrow. If that monster comes back the next day, it'll help to get some insurance. Looking around the room to see who's there, Zachary quietly takes a seat and waits to hear what Virginia has to say.

OOC Comments
Slip of the tongue. Seems I might have forgotten that Virginia's last name is Revel, not Manuela. I'll uhh... try to keep that in mind for next time.
Consumer
Game Master

Post by Consumer »

Date: February 16th, 1925. 6:30 PM (3 hours has passed since last post)

Virginia arrives with the others and finds a place to park her car. The others head in to their already acquired accommodations, While Virginia makes her way to the concierge. When she requests a room, the concierge smiles. ”For how many nights Ma’am?” The middle aged man asks. When Virginia replies, he nods. ”Our rates are as follows ma’am, two and a half dollars a day, twelve dollars for the week, or forty dollars for the month” The man says. Once Virginia is squared away, she inquires about a meeting room, trying to smother the man in charm, but somehow she comes off as very pushy. ”I regret to say I have no spare rooms of the sort for private functions available at this time.” He says in a tone that hints at finality.

Not pushing it further Virginia makes her way to her room and promptly falls asleep. (I.S.P. regained) a few hours later she awakens and freshens up, before making her way to the main desk once more. The same man is on duty as before, and he doesn’t seem ultimately pleased by Virginia’s presence. When she requests paper and a pen, he nods and retrieves a notepad and a pen for her. Virginia takes a few minutes to write several copies of the same note, before making her request to deliver them to the respective individuals. ”I shall make an effort of it.” The concierge says. When Virginia asks about dinner, the concierge points in the general direction of the restaurant. ”They would be serving in the dining room there ma’am.” He says.

Virginia finds the large dining room, and is taken to a table. The menu isn’t extensive, but does have several options, Virginia orders a light meal. The meal is well made, not haught cuisine, but certainly delicious. After dinner, Virginia makes her way back to her room, and considers where everyone is going to fit in the smallish space.

For the most part Zachary, Callum, Aurelio, and Claudia do the same thing. They all make their way to their respective rooms, and clean up for supper. Zachary ponders the sense of dread while cleaning up, and cannot figure it out, clearly something paranormal, but no idea why. The group descends the upper floors for dinner running into each other on the way down, and they decide to eat together as a group. The dinner is pleasant and filling, even if one gets the lighter fare. Once the meal is over they all make their way back to their respective rooms. An hour or so later each room receives a visitor, a bellhop with a handwritten note.
Note wrote:If it is convenient, shall we all meet at room 212 to discuss today's events an hour after dinner? We may be able to get information directly from the "person" around whom these strange events revolve!

Mrs. Revel"
While the timing is vague, it seems that an hour must pass before gathering. Aurelio gives Claudia the option to stay behind, which she seems to agree with, curling up on the double bed and quickly falling asleep. The group minus Claudia gathers in Mrs Revel’s room, it’s a cramped affair as the rooms are really designed for waiting train passengers.

The Group is gathered; While I describe the rooms as small, they’re not so small as you can’t do what you may plan, save anything that really requires a large open space. Note the rooms all have the same features. Double bed, nightstand with a oil lamp, a dresser, and a desk and chair, a small closet is in the corner near the door.

Medals

Return to “Boxed Nightmares”