The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

BTS2 Adventure Forum

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [38] = 38 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [29] = 29
Current I.S.P.: 51
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Skills:

Captain Whitlock’s House, Southeast Bedroom/Balcony

Moving away from the beast and closer to the windows, Claudia follows Zachary out to the balcony. Instead of smashing through a window, she chooses to use the door (the middle panel near Claudia? If it's not a door, she'll go through the window Zachary smashed). She approaches Zachary and reaches down to help him to his feet and out of the tangle of curtains that may be trapping him. As she does so, Claudia instructs him to, “Be brave.” She pours psionic power into the words. (Suppress Fear)

Actions (3):
Initiative: 1d20: [19] = 19
1. Move out to the balcony
2. Helping hand to get Zachary to his feet
3. Use Suppress Fear on Zachary (-8 ISP)
Last edited by Claudia on Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 am

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [34] = 34 /41%
JIC: 1d100: [17] = 17
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7

Conditions: Spirit guide absent

Virginia is frustrated by the lack of impact her bullets are making on the hound. Darn it! What else can we do?! she thinks furiously as her eyes survey the scene.

She looks with wonder as Ms. di Mantua's and Mr. Doyle's hands glow strangely during the fight. Well, well, well, we are an unusual group of people, she muses, And Mr. di Mantua seems uncannily strong Her thoughts are harshly interrupted by the sound of the beast hitting Mr. Splindt. She winces That must've hurt. She watches anxiously as he jumps out of the window and a bottle skitters out of his grasp. That must be the Witches bottle! she guesses. Seeing Mr. Splindt in pain and Ms. di Mantua helping him recover, she makes a decision.

She moves out of the door that Ms. di Mantua used to get to the balcony. She picks up the bottle and looks at the two of them. "I will take this away from this house - outside the wards. Please let me know if it has any effect on the hound. If it has no effect, then I will shoot it" she explains her plan to the duo.

She then takes a deep breath and jumps down the balcony with the bottle. She rolls as she lands to reduce the impact of the collision. She then stands up and runs as fast as she can to where the car is parked - where she knows the wards end. Once outside, she looks up at the balcony to see if taking the bottle out had any effect. She places the bottle on the ground and gets ready to shoot it, as she waits for either Mr. Splindt or Ms. di Mantua to say something.

Initiative: 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14

Actions:
1. Move to the balcony
2. Pick up the bottle
3. Jump: Roll with punch/fall/impact: 1d20+3: [18]+3 = 21
4. Run

If she's blocked by the hound and unable to reach the balcony, she will shoot at it
Actions:
1. 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 +1=20; damage: 2d6: [4, 4] = 8 + 2d6: [3, 2] = 5 =13
2. 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 +1=13; damage: 2d6: [5, 4] = 9 + 2d6: [5, 1] = 6 =15
3. 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 +1=16; damage: 2d6: [6, 1] = 7 + 2d6: [2, 2] = 4 =11
4. 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 +1=14; damage: 2d6: [2, 3] = 5 + 2d6: [2, 6] = 8 =13

Parries if necessary:
1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14
1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7
1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17
1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10
1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception 1D100: 1d100: [52] = 52 (21%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [43] = 43
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [19] = 19

Zachary feels the full force of the impact of both the hound's attack and his leap through the balcony window. With the wind knocked out of his lungs, the detective keels over from the blow. It takes a couple of moments for Zachary to catch his breath as the bottle rolls further towards the railing. Damn that smarts! Zachary thinks to himself in addition to various colourful choice words.
Claudia wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:36 am Moving away from the beast and closer to the windows, Claudia follows Zachary out to the balcony. Instead of smashing through a window, she chooses to use the door (the middle panel near Claudia? If it's not a door, she'll go through the window Zachary smashed). She approaches Zachary and reaches down to help him to his feet and out of the tangle of curtains that may be trapping him.
Zachary accepts Claudia's help, and struggles to get back on his feet. "Thanks kid. That *wheeze* helps a lot" After being helped up, Zachary scans the room for the shotgun and limps over to pick it up.
Virginia wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:21 pm She moves out of the door that Ms. di Mantua used to get to the balcony. She picks up the bottle and looks at the two of them. "I will take this away from this house - outside the wards. Please let me know if it has any effect on the hound. If it has no effect, then I will shoot it" she explains her plan to the duo.
"*cough* Will do," Zachary wheezes as Claudia helps him up. "Try not to take too long. We're getting pretty beat up here. Holler if one of those... thi-... things are out there too."
Claudia wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:36 am As she does so, Claudia instructs him to, “Be brave.” She pours psionic power into the words. (Suppress Fear)
Zachary hears Claudia's words, and his fear over his wounds begins to subside. "Yeah, you're right," Zachary replies, "Not the time to be scared right now." As Zachary reloads the gun (if he manages to get it), he remembers how sudden it seemed that the hound turned its attention to him after he picked up the bottle. If Virginia has the bottle... Zachary's attention turns to Aurelio "We can't let the monster leave this room!" Zachary calls out.

If Zachary has successfully taken the shotgun
Blocking the balcony door, Zachary raises the shotgun and fires a shot in the hound's direction.

If the hound or anything else has stopped Zachary from taking the shotgun
Joining Aurelio, Zachary tries to punch the hound. Unbeknownst to the detective however, his punch might have taken on a slightly supernatural quality.

Initiative: 1d20: [5] = 5 (1D20 - 2) Please note that I fecked the roll, and the 5 was meant to be solely 1D20. With the -2 modifier, Zachary's initiative is actually 3. Thought it would be cheating to reroll another die.
Actions:
1. Takes a moment to recover/rise from prone.
2. Scrounge for the shotgun, assuming it's nearby.

If Zachary can successfully take the shotgun
3. Reload the shotgun
4. Fire the shotgun at the hound. (1D20 + 0): 1d20: [2] = 2 , DMG: 4d6: [4, 5, 5, 6] = 20 (4D6)

If the hound is stopping Zachary from taking the shotgun
3. Runs up to the hound.
4. Uses Telekinetic Fist on the hound (-6 I.S.P) (1D20): , DMG: 3d6: [1, 5, 4] = 10

Dodge/Parry as required:
1. 1D20 + 0: 1d20: [7] = 7
2. 1D20 + 0: 1d20: [19] = 19
3. 1D20 + 0: 1d20: [17] = 17
4. 1D20 + 0: 1d20: [3] = 3

Pls Ignore:
Dice rolls
1d20-2: [18]-2 = 16
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Aurelio »

(rolls held)
Zachary Splindt wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:47 pmZachary's attention turns to Aurelio "We can't let the monster leave this room!" Zachary calls out.
Without letting his eyes leave his quarry, Aurelio states calmly. "Put it in my back pocket, and force it to face me then." Safer for them this way. "Then leave the house. I'll follow."
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Callum »

Percep 43%: 1d100: [59] = 59
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 1d100: [50] = 50

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
I.S.P.: 22 x4 Lesser Demons & Supernatural Predators: 88/28
Nightvision (4): 600ft 30/14.5 min
Demon Punch: duration One Melee round (15 seconds) ISP: 6

Feeling a sort of mental fatigue, Callum's hands curl into fists, the glow about them changing subtly as he moves on counter point to Aurelio. He may not be built like the big and burly prize fighter but he's no Will of the wisps either. He swings a punch at the wolfish thing whenever Aurelio draws back. With some time and training we could make a good team. 'Specially since most won't suss me out as a decent fighter.

Callum moves as they fight, trying to edge himself and Aurelio between the others and the hound of decay, swinging at the beast whenever he gets an opening. "Get that thing away from here or smash it!"


Attacks: 4
Init: 1d20: [16] = 16
1. Strike: 1d20+6: [13]+6 = 19 , Dmg: 1d4+3d6: [2]+[3, 6, 4] = 15
2. Strike: 1d20+6: [9]+6 = 15 , Dmg: 1d4+3d6: [3]+[6, 1, 3] = 13
3. Strike: 1d20+6: [2]+6 = 8 , Dmg: 1d4+3d6: [2]+[5, 6, 5] = 18
4. Strike: 1d20+6: [10]+6 = 16 , Dmg: 1d4+3d6: [1]+[4, 3, 6] = 14

Dodge/Parry, if needed: 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , 1d20+9: [20]+9 = 29
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 17th, 1925. 9:25 AM (15 seconds have passed since last post)
Weather: 15 degrees Fahrenheit; Heavy Overcast and snowing, 2-3 inches of accumulation over the day.
I.S.P. Modifier: x4 Lesser Demons & Supernatural Predators (Claudia is at x5)

Image
Exterior
Image
1st Floor
Image
2nd Floor
Image
Garage/Stable
Image
Battle Map


Claudia: Move out to the balcony
Callum: Activate Demon Punch: duration One Melee round (15 seconds) ISP: 6. Takes an action to manifest. ~Consumer
Virginia: Move to the balcony
Aurelio: Wrap cross & chain in hand
Zachary: Takes a moment to recover/rise from prone.
Hound: Move outside to stand over bottle.


Claudia moves out onto the balcony, opening the door to do so instead of following Zachary out the window. Callum channels his inner strength causing his hand to glow in a pale golden light for a moment. Virginia follows Claudia out onto the balcony, making her way to the bottle that sits on the edge of the balcony. Aurelio calls out to his god, while wrapping his necklace around his fist.
Aurelio wrote: "For You have girded me with strength for battle; You have subdued under me those who rose up against me!"


Zachary takes a moment to shake the cobwebs out of his head and winces from the pain in his chest, he slowly makes his way to his feet. The Hound seems to understand what the group intends, even if they’re not sure what they’re doing specifically. It barges out of the room, ignoring those posed against it, and through the shattered window, it comes to a stop over top of the bottle that everyone is generally moving towards.


Claudia: Helping hand to get Zachary to his feet
Callum: Move to the hound, and punch. (Strike: 19; Damage: 15)
Virginia: Shoot at the hound. (Strike: 17; Damage: 21) When shooting you do not get melee strike bonuses, and I don’t know where the extra +1 comes from. ~Consumer
Aurelio: Move to Hound and Karate Punch! (Strike: 5; Damage: 18)
Zachary: Reload the shotgun 1 shell reloaded per action due to non-proficiency. ~Consumer
Hound: Bite Aurelio. (Strike: 22; Damage: 15) (Auto-dodge attempted/failure)


Claudia arrives in time to help Zachary get back to his feet. Callum moves out onto the balcony in a hurry, and makes contact with the beast, causing rotten flesh and detritus to fall away. Virginia seeing her opportunity thwarted, points her pistol at the beast and fires, the bullet seeme to do some real damage, leaving a craterous wound in its hide. Aurelio, not one to leave the fray especially with so many folk at risk, rushes the beast and swings, while his fist connects, it feels like punching a tank… the beast seems unphased. Zachary fumbles a few shells from his pocket and begins reloading the shotgun. The Hound of Rot and Decay bays, it’s a horrifying sound that is reminiscent of a million animals dying, it then bites at Aurelio who tries to duck the massive jaws, but still winds up with several light gashes.


Claudia: Use Suppress Fear on Zachary (-8 ISP)
Callum: Punch Hound. (Strike: 15; Damage: 13)
Virginia: Shoot at Hound. (Strike: 10; Damage: 24).
Aurelio: Karate Punch! (Strike: 21; Damage: 23)
Zachary: Finish reloading Shotgun.
Hound: Bite Callum. (Strike: 13; Damage: 21) (Dodge Attempted/Success)


Claudia touches Zachary’s leg.
Claudia wrote:“Be brave.”
Zachary feels any fear he may have had with this desperate battle wash away with a wave of warmth. It does nothing to quell the pain of what one can assume are fractured ribs, but he no longer is worried. Callum delivers another blow to the Hound, who cries out in a horrible sound of pain. Virginia fires her gun again, and finds the bullet to be ineffective as it doesn’t penetrate the beast’s hide. Aurelio throws another punch, and feels the creature’s flesh give this time. Zachary, his hands no lumber shaking, slides the second shell in and slaps the breech closed. The Hound decides to turn its head and try to take a bite out of Callum, but Callum is able to dodge the horse-sized head’s snapping maw.


Callum: Action Sacrificed for Dodge Action 3.
Virginia: Shoot at Hound. (Strike: 13; Damage: 18)
Aurelio: Karate Punch! (Strike: 21; Damage: 17)
Zachary: Fire the shotgun at the hound. (Strike: 2; Damage: 20)
Hound: Bite at Aurelio. (Strike: 21; Damage: 12) (Auto-dodge Attempted/Failure)


Virginia fires again, her pistol barking out loudly, but the forty-five caliber bullets seem almost faulty in her mind. Aurelio hammers his fist into the beast again, knocking loose bits of bone and flesh. Zachary fires the shotgun, but misses the melee entirely. The Hound lays into Aurelio once more, wearing the Italian down further.


Aurelio: Karate Punch! (Strike: 7; Damage: 18)
Hound: Bite at Callum. (Strike: 17; Damage: 11) (Dodge Attempted/Successful)

Hound: Bite at Aurelio. (Strike: 25; Damage: 24) (Auto-dodge Attempted/Failure)[/inline]

Aurelio continues to go up against this unholy abomination, but even his fists don’t seem to cut it fully. The beast bites for Callum, who manages to get out of the way. The beast swings it’s head once more, biting deeply into Aurelio, who now starts bleeding a bit.

Butcher’s Bill
Aurellio: HP: 30/33, S.D.C.: 0/76, Pants Torn slightly.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 57/85, Sixth Sense Active.
Virginia: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 23/25, I.S.P. (13): 52/52, -7 bullet.
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 22/88, -6 bullets.
Zachary: HP: 12/21, S.D.C. 0/29, I.S.P. (7): 28/28, Pants torn, Something is Fractured (-2 Initiative till healed), -1 Shotgun Shell.
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [19] = 19 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10 / 1d100: [30] = 30
Current I.S.P.: 51
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Skills:

Captain Whitlock’s House, Balcony

With Zachary back on his feet, Claudia turns her attention to the kerfuffle that has joined them on the balcony. “You are a bad dog,” she tells the hound as it takes another bite out of her uncle. She practically scowls at the beast, her hands glowing brightly as before. If the hound persists in its attack, Claudia will defend herself and the others as best as she can by shooting a beam of psychic energy into the hound (God’s Wrath; she can do this as a punch instead if the hound moves close enough to her).

Actions (3):
Initiative: 1d20: [5] = 5
1. God’s Wrath (-6 ISP): Strike 1d20: [19] = 19 , Damage (if by beam) 3d6: [1, 5, 3] = 9 SDC, Damage (if by punch) 4d6: [5, 1, 2, 2] = 10 SDC
2. God’s Wrath (-6 ISP): Strike 1d20: [7] = 7 , Damage (if by beam) 3d6: [3, 2, 2] = 7 SDC, Damage (if by punch) 4d6: [4, 4, 3, 6] = 17 SDC
3. Reserved for Dodge: 1d20: [16] = 16
Parries (if needed): 1d20: [9] = 9 , 1d20: [10] = 10 , and 1d20: [6] = 6
Last edited by Claudia on Fri May 06, 2022 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 am

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [28] = 28 /41%
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15
JIC: 1d100: [23] = 23

Conditions: Spirit guide absent

Her plans to grab the bottle foiled by the hound, Virginia continues to shoot at the creature.

Initiative: 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6

Actions:
1. Shoot: 1d20: [2] = 2 ; damage: 4d6: [2, 4, 4, 3] = 13
2. Shoot: 1d20: [12] = 12 ; damage: 4d6: [4, 5, 1, 4] = 14
3. Shoot: 1d20: [18] = 18 ; damage: 4d6: [6, 2, 1, 2] = 11
4. Shoot: 1d20: [10] = 10 ; damage: 4d6: [5, 5, 5, 3] = 18

Parries if necessary:
1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21
1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13
1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13
1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [93] = 93 (21%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [61] = 61
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [12] = 12

Zachary looks at the carnage unfolding before him. Damn thing is barely making a dent, the detective thinks to himself, maybe something that can take its attention away Looking to the curtains nearby, Zachary gets an idea. Maybe if I can blind that thing, it'll give one of us some time to slip away with that bottle!

Zachary winces as he picks up the curtain, his wounds flaring with pain. In what is intended as a quick motion, Zachary inches a bit closer to the hound and throws the curtain with an aim towards the hound's face. With the curtains thrown, Zachary backs away from the skirmish. Hoisting his shotgun, Zachary then fires upon the hound.

Initiative: 1d20: [11] = 11 (1D20 - 2) (Remove 2 from the die roll. I fecked it up again)

Action 1: Picks up curtain and throws it at the hound.
Strike Roll: 1d20: [5] = 5 (1d20 + 0)

Action 2: Fires shotgun at hound 1d20: [8] = 8 (1D20 + 0), Damage 4d6: [5, 2, 5, 3] = 15 (4D6)
Action 3: Reloads shotgun
Action 4: Fires shotgun at hound 1d20: [11] = 11 (1D20 + 0), Damage 4d6: [2, 1, 4, 4] = 11 (4D6)

For the curtain, feel free to use both the first and second action if necessary. If both actions are used for the curtain maneuver, Zachary will spend his third action firing the shotgun, then reloading for the fourth.

Dodge/Parry (1D20 + 0)
1. 1d20: [7] = 7
2. 1d20: [4] = 4
3. 1d20: [20] = 20
4. 1d20: [20] = 20

Pls ignore:
Dice rolls
1d20: [10] = 10
4d6: [4, 5, 6, 3] = 18
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 46% / 1d100: [99] = 99
JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10 1d100: [100] = 100
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [25] = 25
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [32] = 32
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.

Aurelio knows when he's outclassed by his opponent. This beast is worse than Jack Johnson. Bleeding and injured, but his spirit unbroken, Aurelio knows his moral duty as a strong man is to be brave and to stand against evil to protect those less able to do so themselves. Lord, Brother, Father, I'm ready to receive your welcome should I be shrived in time to meet you. Look over Claudia & Virginia, and protect them. He shouts at the beast of the devil as he swings a mighty roundhouse kick at the foul, ungodly thing, "Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might!” He follows this with other kicks to hold the beast's attention long enough to allow the escape of the others from this mortal peril. "Take the bottle and run!" he shouts with further kicks.

Contingency: If the group is attacked by anything, Aurelio will push himself into harm's way to protect the others. His protective priority will always be to protect Claudia, then Virginia, then the other guys.

Initiative (+1 included): 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 CRITICAL
Action 1: Roundhouse Kick: Strike: EP CRIT, Damage: 3d6+15*2: [1, 3, 4]+15*2 = 46 CRITICAL
Action 2: Karate Kick: 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , Damage: 2d6+15: [5, 3]+15 = 23
Action 3: Axe Kick: 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10 , Damage: 2d8+15: [6, 3]+15 = 24
Action 4: Roundhouse Kick: 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24 , Damage: 3d6+15: [4, 6, 3]+15 = 28 x2=56 CRITICAL
Action 5: Axe Kick: 1d20+4: [1]+4 = 5 , Damage: 2d8+15: [8, 7]+15 = 30

Parries: 1d20+6: [5]+6 = 11 , 1d20+6: [3]+6 = 9 , 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 , 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 , 1d20+6: [19]+6 = 25
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Callum »

Percep 43%: 1d100: [89] = 89
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 1d100: [32] = 32

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
I.S.P.: 22 x4 Lesser Demons & Supernatural Predators: 88/22
Nightvision (4): 600ft 30/14.25 min
Telekinesis: small object: ISP 4, up to 60', 6/6 minutes

After dodging away from the beast's bite, Callum watches Ari take another wound. This beast will end us all if we give it the time. We need to end this now. A quick succession of ideas flick through his head; lifting the beast into the air but he's too weak, pulling the bottle to himself and jumping from the balcony. He almost lets a small laugh slip from his lips as he reaches out with his mind, attempting to grab the bottle. If successful, Callum will simply push the bottle as far away from the house as he can while he holds it with his mind.

If this is still not far enough to get the bottle outside the wards of the house, Callum will take a deep breath, "This is gonna hurt." and jump from the balcony. Hoping for a soft landing in the snow, he will roll with the fall and continue to push the bottle to the limit of his ability.


Attacks: 4
Init: 1d20: [7] = 7
1. TK grab bottle, Strike: 1d20+3: [13]+3 = 16
2. push bottle in the air out to 60 ft away from the house
3. continue to push bottle OR jump from balcony
4. Roll with fall 1d20+6: [12]+6 = 18

Dodge/Parry, if needed: 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , 1d20+9: [7]+9 = 16
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 17th, 1925. 9:25 AM (15 seconds have passed since last post)
Weather: 15 degrees Fahrenheit; Heavy Overcast and snowing, 2-3 inches of accumulation over the day.
I.S.P. Modifier: x4 Lesser Demons & Supernatural Predators (Claudia is at x5)

Image
Exterior
Image
1st Floor
Image
2nd Floor
Image
Garage/Stable


Aurelio: Roundhouse Kick (Strike: EP CRIT; Damage: 46)
Hound: Bite Aurelio. (Strike: 21; Damage: 18)
Zachary: Fires shotgun at hound (Strike: 8; Damage 15)
Callum: TK grab bottle. (Strike: 16)
Virginia: Shoot (Strike: 2; Damage: 13)
Claudia: God’s Wrath (-6 ISP) (Strike: 19; Damage: 9)


The group gets frantic as the blood is now flowing, and bones have been broken. The beast seems unstoppable, a literal demon from the heart of hell, a nightmare of rotten flesh and plants fused into a lupine form. Aurelio kicks mightily at the beast, shattering it’s bones and branches, but still the monster moves as it bites into the boxer with jagged teeth. Zachary fires his borrowed shotgun, but the weapon doesn’t seem to phase the beast. Callum uses his god given talents to move the bottle with an unseen hand, the bottle flies from the ground to his hand in a hastey catch. Virginia fires wildly narrowly missing those with her as much as the beast, and Claudia glows a golden hue as what can only be described as divine energy fires at the hound, wounding it further. But still the beast stands.

Aurelio: Karate Kick (Strike: 19; Damage: 23) Dodge Attempted/Failure


Aurelio lines up another kick, and apparently the beast has it’s breaking point, as it tries to skitter-step away from Aurelio’s blow, but fails to and is finally broken. The beast slumps to the ground and begins to quickly dissipate into shadowy wisps of fog, leaving only a thin film of dark slime behind.

What Are Your Intentions?

Butcher’s Bill
Aurellio: HP: 15/33, S.D.C.: 0/76, Pants Torn slightly.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 51/85, Sixth Sense Active.
Virginia: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 23/25, I.S.P. (13): 52/52, -7 bullet.
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 18/88, -6 bullets.
Zachary: HP: 12/21, S.D.C. 0/29, I.S.P. (7): 28/28, Pants torn, Something is Fractured (-2 Initiative till healed), -2 Shotgun Shell.
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [66] = 66 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [21] = 21
Current I.S.P.: 39
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Skills:

Captain Whitlock’s House, Balcony

After the hound of rot and decay retreats and finally dissipates, Claudia rushes to Aurelio’s side. Her arms wrap around her uncle’s waist in a hug. You’re alive, she thinks with relief. Barely! Claudia draws back a little, but doesn’t lose contact with Ari. “Hold still,” she firmly commands him, sounding a little like her grandmother. She keeps him just long enough to heal him again. (Healing Touch, -6 ISP, 2d4: [3, 2] = 5 HP restored to Ari)
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 46% / 1d100: [16] = 16
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5 1d100: [24] = 24
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [16] = 16
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [76] = 76
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Claudia wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:53 pmAfter the hound of rot and decay retreats and finally dissipates, Claudia rushes to Aurelio’s side. Her arms wrap around her uncle’s waist in a hug. You’re alive, she thinks with relief. Barely! Claudia draws back a little, but doesn’t lose contact with Ari. “Hold still,” she firmly commands him, sounding a little like her grandmother. She keeps him just long enough to heal him again.
As the beast slumps and fades into little more than mist and slime, Aurelio likewise slumps to his knees, hurt and near his own breaking point. Jesus wept. I was nearly finished. Badly injured and bloodied, Aurelio smiles weakly as his niece engulfs him in a hug. The bite wounds are painful and bleeding. "Guess I'm done training for the day. We'd best be off with that bottle before the Lord in His mercy casts his glance elsewhere."
Mio fratello, I keep my promises. Once Claudia has helped him regain some lost vigor, he looks up to the others. "We should go. Zachary needs to see a doctor or someone." He will stretch as he rises to his feet once more before shambling back to his motorcycle & getting back to town for some rest and recuperation.

Contingency: If the group is attacked by anything, Aurelio will push himself into harm's way to protect the others. His protective priority will always be to protect Claudia, then Virginia, then the other guys.
Translation: Mio fratello = My brother
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 am

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [10] = 10
JIC: 1d100: [18] = 18
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13

Conditions: Spirit guide absent

Skills used: Research: 1d100: [15] = 15 /60%

Virginia heaves a sigh of relief when the hound disappears and puts her revolver back in her pocket. As Mr and Ms. di Mantua leave, she helps Mr. Splindt up, and leads him to her car. She helps him get in and makes sure he's comfortable. She walks up to Mr. Doyle and suggests "Perhaps we should destroy the bottle. What do you think?"

She will then drive into town, welcoming Mr. Doyle to join her in the car. In town, she will ask around for a doctor and drop off Mr. Splindt with the doctor. She will then drop off My. Doyle anywhere he wishes.

Being relatively unhurt, she will then go back to the Whitlach Manor and enter the library. As she enters, she looks to see if Aiyana can enter the house in the absence of the Witches' bottle. She will spend the rest of the day looking for and reading books or documents which give her more information about the Witches' Bottle, the Captain's affairs or anything about his enemies who might have sent the hounds (Research). As the sun sets, she will find her crowbar return to the hotel for a meal and a good night's sleep.
Last edited by Virginia on Fri May 13, 2022 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Callum »

Percep 43%: 1d100: [44] = 44
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 1d100: [16] = 16

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
I.S.P.: 22 x4 Lesser Demons & Supernatural Predators: 88/18
Nightvision (4): 600ft 30/14.00 min
Telekinesis: small object: ISP 4, up to 60', 6/5.75 minutes

Callum grins slightly to himself as the bottle flies into his hand, only to see Ari take another bite and land another kick on the creature, causing it to dissipate. How is he still standing? He and Splindt both look like... he stifles the thought before visions of the war rise in his memory.
Ari wrote:"Guess I'm done training for the day. We'd best be off with that bottle before the Lord in His mercy casts his glance elsewhere."
"We should go. Zachary needs to see a doctor or someone.
Callum starts to looks around, not trusting that the big beast was the last of the creatures. "If those things can rise from nothing, do you think we actually killed it?"
Virginia wrote:"Perhaps we should destroy the bottle. What do you think?"
In answer, Callum raises the bottle above his head and attempts to smash it on the balcony floor. If the first attempt doesn't work, he will try again before he sets the bottle down and tries to stomp it into oblivion.

If he is unable to destroy the bottle, he will looks weakly at the others and shrug, "Unless one of you has a better idea, we need to put this someplace where it can cause as little harm as possible."

With the others heading back to the vehicles, Callum will lend a hand with the injured and gratefully accept a lift from Mrs. Virginia.

Attacks: 4
Init: 1d20: [19] = 19
1. Strike smash bottle: 1d20+6: [5]+6 = 11 Dmg: 1d4: [1] = 1
2. Strike smash bottle: 1d20+6: [13]+6 = 19 Dmg: 1d4: [3] = 3
3. Strike stomp bottle: 1d20+6: [19]+6 = 25 Dmg: 2d4: [4, 4] = 8
4. Strike stomp bottle: 1d20+6: [11]+6 = 17 Dmg: 2d4: [1, 3] = 4

Dodge/Parry, if needed: 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21
User avatar
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 am

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Virginia »

If Mr. Doyle is unable to destroy the bottle by smashing it for some reason, Virginia will place the bottle far away from others and shoot at it.

Shoot at the bottle: 1d20: [2] = 2 ; damage: 4d6: [4, 5, 1, 3] = 13
1d20: [18] = 18 ; damage: 4d6: [4, 3, 1, 3] = 11
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [2] = 2 (21%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [26] = 26
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [2] = 2

Location: Captain Whitlach's House

The monster finally downed, Zachary's attention is drawn to the sharp pain in his ribs. "Dammit," he curses to himself as he accepts Virginia's help. "that thing packs a wallop." Accepting Virginia's help into the car, Zachary manages to utter a few more words. "I'm with Callum. If we don't break this thing, we might have another fight on our hands next time we're here."

if neither Callum nor Virginia manage to break the bottle, Zachary will try to use the shotgun to blast the malicious object. "Maybe we need more firepower," the detective says as he pulls the trigger.

Firing shotgun at bottle (1D20 + 0): 1d20: [16] = 16
Shotgun damage (4D6): 4d6: [3, 1, 3, 5] = 12

Location: The Car

While in the car, Zachary reflects on the events at the house. These people... they know how to fight, Zachary thinks to himself. Damn shame they didn't go Pinkerton. They would have been pretty good.

Another thought crosses the detective's mind however. Why did we do all this? I'm open to any chance to erase ghosts, but it seems like we just arrived here and suddenly started looking for that dam- darned bottle. There's also Carl- the detective winces a bit at the pain of his injuries before returning his thoughts drift again. I don't trust him. It's like he knows more than he's letting on. Zachary spends the rest of the drive ruminating with that thought.

Location: The Hospital

At the hospital, Zachary gladly accepts any help available. If the staff try to take his coat with the stakes inside, he will insist on keeping it nearby "for protection." While there, the detective considers to himself how he will pay for the hospital expenses. Hope Carl plans to pay hospital bills on top of our accommodations, Zachary thinks to himself, otherwise, I might need to find some work on the side.
OOC Comments
I'm assuming the course of events was to attempt to break the bottle, then get inside the car. The post has been written with that timeline in mind.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: The Peculiar end of Captain Whitlach (Adventure 1)

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 17th, 1925. 12:25 PM
Weather: 15 degrees Fahrenheit; Heavy Overcast and snowing, 2-3 inches of accumulation over the day.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1- Under the Microscope (Claudia is at x1)

Image
Exterior
Image
1st Floor
Image
2nd Floor
Image
Garage/Stable


With the horse-sized monstrosity of rotten flesh, decayed brambles and yellowed bones vanquished, the group seems to sigh in relief ever so slightly. Claudia heals some of her uncle’s wounds with a touch, which seems to be enough to at the very least stem the bleeding. Aurelio calls it done and begins the process of making his way out of the house towards his motorcycle. Making a note that Zachary likely needs a doctor of some sort. Virginia seems to be of the same mindset, but at the very least comments about whether the bottle should be destroyed before following Aurelio. Callum takes the question to heart and drops the bottle to the ground and stomps on it a few times, the bottle is tough and seems to want to not be destroyed, but Callum is insistent and does manage to break it.

A curious thing happens when it’s broken. The world gets very quiet, not a quiet formed from a lack of talking, or when birds quiet as one passes too close, but a noticeable quiet where one can hear the blood flowing in one’s veins, and the sound of one’s bones rubbing against each other. A low rumble can be heard, like a millstone grinding, for what seems an indeterminable amount of time. As suddenly as it happened it ends and the world seems normal again.

Zachary is very aware that he likely has broken ribs, whether they’re full on broken or just cracked is unknown at the moment, his world is now a struggle to breathe, as every breath is a whole new cornucopia of pain. He too follows the others as they make their way through the house to reach the awaiting vehicles.

The trip back to town in cold and somber, like the world’s evil has been shown and now everything is tainted with that pallor. Upon reaching Prosperity, the group looks for some manner of hospital, but comes to realize that this is basically nothing more than a rail stop for the local coal mining consortium B&L. So with no other real options the group makes it back to the hotel.

Virginia having dropped off her passengers leaves the hotel, and makes her way back to the Whitlach estate. She finds the building cold and foreboding still, but is undeterred as she heads inside to spend the day doing research. It is still very obvious that her spirit guide cannot enter the wards, so the corrupted bottle was definitively not anything to do with it.

The staff of the hotel seems to notice the rough shape of several of the group and they are approached by one of the desk clerks, a sallow looking man in his middle age, his eyes almost devoid of life. ”You seem to be a bit out of sorts, would you like me to call for the local doctor?” The man asks, while he looks like life has wrung him out, his voice seems to carry a hint of compassion.

Assuming the group says yes, the clerk takes their room numbers and tells the group he’ll send the doctor to them as soon as he’s able. Which surprisingly is rather quick, by housecall standards anyway. As only a half hour passes. The doctor is a mildly overweight man with a balding head framed with thin gray hair. He wears a brown suit with blue button up shirt, and is currently wearing a heavy long coat. In his hand is a large leather bag that likely contains the tools of his trade. He approaches each person who is injured (ie in Hit Points) and makes his examinations. For Aurelio, the doctor seems puzzled as he already seems to be well on the road to recovery, but offers to clean and bandage the wounds for him. When he meets with Zachary he has a look of concern, and over the course of a lengthy examination, determines Zachary has three cracked ribs and several superficial cuts, which he cleans and bandages. He also binds Zachary’s ribs tight, but in the end he is able to do very little to actually heal him. Once he’s done he brings up the cost, which, after eyeing the pair of battered men, is surprisingly low at five dollars total. He also mentions that if they can’t pay him right now, that they can at his Pharmacy, The Mankin Drug Company over at the Mankin-Cox building. With that the Doctor leaves, and the group is alone once more.

Back at the Manor house, Virginia has really just begun her search of the library, and will definitely need a lot of time to make any proper research. Over the next couple of hours she can't shake a feeling of being observed. On top of this the house is cold, and a breeze can definitely be felt in the house as she knows the window upstairs is completely destroyed.

What Are Your Intentions?

Butcher’s Bill
Aurellio: HP: 20/33, S.D.C.: 0/76, Pants Torn slightly.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 13/13
Virginia: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 23/25, I.S.P.: 13/13, -7/15 bullets.
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 18/22, -6/6 bullets.
Zachary: HP: 12/21, S.D.C. 0/29, I.S.P.: 7/7, Pants torn, Fractured Ribs (-2 Initiative till healed), -3 out of 12 Shotgun Shell.
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Post Reply

Return to “Boxed Nightmares”